Designers » N-Q » Woody « Groups

Girl Pharrell Williams for women and men

Girl Pharrell Williams for women and men
dislike

Girl Pharrell Williams for women and men Pictures Girl Pharrell Williams for women and men Pictures Girl Pharrell Williams for women and men Pictures

“There should be no boundaries – I learnt that from Comme des Garçons” - stated Pharrell Williams on the occasion of presenting his first unisex fragrance named Girl. When he was young, he used Ralph Laurent’s Polo for which he says it was "really cool" at that time. Later he used Dior’s Fahrenheit because it was so different from other fragrance at that time, and after it, during 15 years he did not wear any perfumes at all – he stated for WWD.

The meeting that took place 4 or 5 years ago in Basel (at Art Basel) with Sarah Andelman, founder and creative director of Parisian Colette made him think differently about fragrances. During greetings and embrace he smelled the perfume she was wearing and asked her what that scent was, and she answered it was Wonderwood by CDG. From that moment on, Pharrell has been, as he says himself, in love with Comme des Garcons!

He wanted to collaborate with Comme des Garcons and he envisaged a concept which was based on woodsy notes. Top notes of fragrance Girl includes neroli, lavender and white pepper, followed by iris, styrax and violet, while the base closes with a woody union of patchouli, vetiver, sandalwood and cedar. Composition of the perfume is signed by creative director of Comme Des Garcons, Christian Astuguevieille and perfumer Antoine Lie of Tasakago. The house of Comme des Garcons Parfum is in charge of production and distribution.

Fragrance Girl will hit the shelves starting from September 1st at Dover Street Market London, and will arrive in the same stores in New York and Tokio later on. Also, before the exclusive partnership, fragrance Girl will be available at Sephora in USA, Canada and France. The fragrance arrives as 100ml EDP and 10ml EDP. Flacon design is signed by House + Holme. Girl was launched in 2014.

Neroli Lavender White Pepper

iris Violet Styrax

Vetiver Sandalwood Cedar Patchouli

Girl Fragrance Reviews

Max1985
Max1985

No no no The scent is all over the place I don't even know what a small.

Rick Bennett
Rick Bennett

The packaging, branding and bottle are completely beyond my comprehension, so this is just about the scent. I love violet, so this is already a winner for that reason. For me this is violet and black pepper in equal measure at the start, the violet lasting longer as time goes on. It fades to a more powdery skin scent after a couple of hours. I really like the juxtaposition of the slightly sweet, powdery floral and the warm spice, it's a contrast but it works well. It's a pleasant, unisex fragrance. In contrast with others' opinions here, I can't imagine anyone finding this offensive. For me this would be a safe "office" scent (part of me would hope no-one would ask me what it's called though :))
May 2016

archivist
archivist

I'm flexible on the concept of gendering perfumes, there are tons of scents out there considered unisex and I wouldn't quarrel with it.

This, to me, is far too much vetiver and pepper to be anything but masculine, and of a genre that doesn't appeal to me. It dessicates my nose, makes my eyes feel dry, and I'd like to sneeze but I can't. The back of my throat burns from the pepper. I wouldn't last 15 minutes near someone wearing this, unless my goal was to clear my sinuses.

Why is it that the worst perfumes always have the best longevity?

Ghastly.

RJ Watson
RJ Watson

Just picked up a 3.4 ounce (100mL) bottle for $15 at my local Marshalls, so this is a total blind buy. This particular store has a very generous return policy (even on opened fragrances), so I took a leap. (Side note: Yikes, when it launched, it was $130? Hurray for my wallet!!!!)

My first read is that it's intensely woody (cedar) and peppery (no doubt from the actual white pepper combined with an overdose of Iso E Super), a little floral from the violet and slightly powdery iris note. Although not listed in the official notes, I also get something distinctly rose-like lingering in the background, which is simply beautiful. If there's patchouli here, it's been fractionated in such a way that nothing even remotely earthy survived but I can't say that I miss it. Altogether, it's a relatively quiet number for an edp but longevity is wonderful. The descriptor of 'transparent' would be perfectly applied here.

Not overtly masculine or feminine a perfume; in fact, it reads as more of a pleasant smell as opposed to a proper perfume. Still, very nice work especially considering what I paid for it. It will get a lot of use this spring and summer because I don't own anything else like it.

(Edit: There were two $15 bottles in the clearance section at Marshalls. After a full day's wearing, I went back to the store and snatched up the second bottle.)

nvenus
nvenus

Pepper, vetiver, cedar and patchouli? Not at all excited to try it but a tiny bit curious. It'll be a surprise to me if I find it wearable.

Btw, why is it called Girl? I assume it's related to one of his songs but how is it related to the actual fragrance? ... Am I the only one who enjoys when the name, bottle, and the overall scent in a perfume is Connected?

And the unnecessary (ok, maybe a little bit necessary when it's called Girl...) text "for girls and boys"... So if you don't want to call you a girl/boy? The fact that it was released/launched 2014 and he/they totally ignored (or didn't know about..?) 'the third gender' - omg... And he's super famous. I have to say that it's a bit of a shame.

MattChartier
MattChartier

I kept seeing this super discounted at Marshalls, so I ordered a sample. After wearing a few times, I am glad to not have blind-bought it.

It opens like Dior Fahrenheit, then dries down to Breath of God from Lush. Breath of God is way nicer, though. If I get in the mood to wear this type of scent, I'll repurchase that instead.

Skayalily
Skayalily

This is DRY, on me. The opening is rather scattered, mostly peppery, pleasant but directionless. Then there is almost an hour of puffs of vetiver/lavender. This feels somewhat masculine, yet remains pleasant. From there on out it's smooth dry wood with powdery florals. The blending settles in at this point and is downright gorgeous. After about 6 hours it's a skin scent, but on my skin it lasts. My 6 year old said, during a hug after I'd been wearing it over 10 hours with no resprays, "too beautiful" with a deep sigh.

djbuffoon
djbuffoon

I really thought I would love this one. The presentation is remarkable, the notes looked promising enough, and the collaboration with Comme des Garçons sounded like a recipe for success. Unfortunately, all I get is the smell of an old, dusty makeup bag. I wore this one for two days straight before I said "nope," and promptly returned it.

I give Pharrell huge props for wanting to break out of the celebscent mold and try something daring and (hopefully) palatable. However, the results are a massive disappointment. Try it if you have a taste for the unusual but, for the life of me, I can't imagine why anyone would actually enjoy this one. 3/10

Circuit FAiry
Circuit FAiry

Girl - First impression on this fragrance is that its fresh, spicy and woody...tons of wood. You must love woody fragrances to be able to appreciate it. As the fragrance begins to settle I get a sweet fresh element that starts to surface. Several hours in, it changes and I get a clean soapy vibe. Violet is voted as the main note but IMO it is more of supporting note along with the iris.

The presentation and name of this fragrance are an afterthought. Confusing as it may be...the bottle has nothing to do with the fragrance and neither does the name. Honestly this stuff is wonderful but it suffered due to its poor marketing.

The juice itself has depth, it is long lasting, and has wonderful sillage. Worth a try for those who enjoy strong woody fragrances.

Curly Sherly
Curly Sherly

I decided to get this perfume bc of CdG being 'behind' it, the bottle - I do find it interesting in a very unusual way and a comparison I've read among the comments with McQueen's My Queen (as a huge McQueen fan). Firstly - I do find the perfume very pleasant, modern, wearable and with good quality. I will use up my 100ml bottle, would I re-purchase time will tell :)The My Queen comparison - yes, but only briefly in the beginning, as the scent starts to dry down they take different routes - MQ is fuller, thicker, rounder, more powdery/violety, much more on the feminine side with stronger silage and better longevity. Girl turns perfectly unisex, has dryer, dustier, spacier and more delicate dry down. Bottom line for me - yes, I enjoy it very much, will wear it and can't wait to try it in warmer climate!

Deefit
Deefit

I wonder what would have happened to the ratings if this had not been branded Pharrell Williams, but Comme des Garçons? Even their perfume with scotch tape and industrial glue notes gets more love ratings than this. Is this snobbism at its best, we're witnessing here?

K1
K1

I hope behind this wave of dislikes there are logical statements, and are not for the celebrity! Cause this perfume deserve more and this dusty gasoil'ish floral mood in Girl has been acclaimed in DSQUARED² Rocky Mountain Wood and The Different Company Sens et Bois. Girl is fresh and crispy, powdery, spicy and woody. Type of refined, wearable, modern, smart and street-fashion-mate fragrance for both genders. It's young and active with crunchy top and rounded powdery base, with good quality and favorable longevity and sillage.
★★★

امیدورام پشت این موج تنفر از این عطر توضیحات منطقی وجود داشته باشه و فقط بخاطر نفرت از ستارۀ موسیقی نباشه. چون این عطر لایق بیشتر از این هست و همین بُن مایۀ خاکی، خنک و گازوئیل مانند پیشتر توی عطر راکی مانتین وود از دسکوارد مورد تحسین عموم قرار گرفته بود. گرل عطر خنک، تُرد، پودری، ادویه ای و چوبی هست. یه جور عطر خیلی جذاب، راحت، مدرن و شیک و خوراک استایل و تیپ روزمره برای هر دو جنسیت. جوان، فعال و شکننده هست توی شروع و پودری و چوبی توی پایه که کیفیت نسبتا خوبی داره و موندگاری و پخشش هم خوبه
★★★

Contessa01
Contessa01

When I spray this I get a blast of peppery citrus and cedar. Then it settles down into a creamy peppery violet. Very unique, not my style. Better as a men's fragrance maybe.

mrsg34
mrsg34

I really like this, I tend to avoid celebrity scents but got this for a good price and the notes are right up my street. A blast of pepper settles down to a lovely woodsy fragrance combined with patchouli, cedar and vetiver with a waft of iris. I really don't understand why this isn't more popular it's really rather lovely. It's not a girly girl perfume but it's very unisex, I'm glad I bought it before it disappears.

GrandmaGaga
GrandmaGaga

Be forewarned: First blast is black pepper., but...give it a few minutes and it becomes a primarily vetiver-heavy floral scent that I think leans more towards something men would like. It's really not as bad as alot of these reviews make it out to be once you get past the name; if you are expecting something 'girly' or even 'feminine' you will probably be disappointed.

GodKing
GodKing

First, just a heads-up that the gift set is currently selling for $32.50 at Macys, which consists of a 100ml bottle and travel rollerball along with free shipping. Although not a favorite, it's a very good full-bodied Comme des Garcons fragrance at a bargain price IMO. Check it out if you're interested. I just ordered a bottle since it's bargained priced.

Anyway, I sampled 'Dead Girl' perfume in the Fall of 2014 at my local Sephora. The fragrance was in the women's fragrance section and, after talking to a sales associate, it was noted that the ladies (staff and customers) did not like it because it had a very masculine opening. But I was also told the drydown was quite nice. Needless to say, I haven't seen this fragrance in the stores in at least six months.

To my nose, the opening was messy-masculine. I have heard it described as a dryer sheet...absolutely, just add a cup of fabric softener, toss in a packet and table pepper and throw in a handful of dirt and that's what I take-away during the first few minutes. I found it to be bit odd...but it was certainly masculine so it didn't bother me; certainly not like it would some of the ladies.

However, a few minutes later Girl transitioned into a decent woody, flowery, earthy scent that is very dry. I am not a fan of powdery fragrances, however 'Dead Girl' was not overly-powdery to my nose and the Iris was well-done. Conversely, I didn't detect any vetiver in this one. To my nose the resulting blend in drydown is a pleasant, warm, creamy cedarwood (smelled like a cedery sandalwood) with some violet and earthy patchouli rounding out the background. Not too shabby and better than expected. At times (fleeting glimpses) I could detect some slight similarities to something like a Bois des Isles or Trumper Sandalwood but, as I said, those moments were fleeting, at best, as Girl is oddly-unique to my scent pallet.

This fragrance projects pretty well (it doesn't push-out, but it leaves a nice scent trail on my skin) and the 3-4 times I sampled it lasted 8+ hours on my skin (I would be surprised if it didn't). Overall, I feel this scent is worth checking-out (it's a good frag) but it's not quite my style and/or I have other perfumes in this genre that I really love. C'est la vie! Moreover, since it's bargained priced it may be a good blind-buy some men and women who like a ballsy type fragrance.

Regardless, I was pleasantly surprised...really nice peppery fragrance with a loud/sharp iris note that was not overly powerdery. Moreover, the woods/vetiver and patchouli combined with the pepper and iris give Dead Girl a very nice dark/woody/spicy vibe that is lightly perfumey. While I balked at the $100+ asking price, I have no problem paying $32.50 for a bottle of this juice. And yes, the bottle is quite fugly.

atlaseetschristmas
atlaseetschristmas

I think when I first tried this I had a bit of a vendetta against it considering the fact that CDG is my favorite house and I despise Pharrell quite a bit. Trying it a few months later, It's actually quite nice.

I detect a dry blend of vetiver, violet, iris, dry cedar, a touch of sandalwood and a prominent fig note (despite the fact that its not listed). It's modern and clean in the same way that stephen jones is, sort of rooty-dry-floral with weird chemical detergent overtones. It starts out very strong but quickly turns to a muted slightly salty green powdered skin scent. Kind of contradictory in nature, but it is CDG afterall.

Definitely not a "must-have" from the line, but I do, however begrudgingly, enjoy this. I could see this being nice in fall or spring.

Lazaro
Lazaro

Macy's have a gift set of this....full bottle and travel size for .....35 bucks...
I was like... !omggg this can be real!
But then when a tried...fuck men...this is almost so disturbing as disgusting.to my nose smell like a rotten peanut butter jar,the blast of flowers is tremendous and the cedar is very potent

wilso55
wilso55

This perfume is very unique. That's why I bought it. It is good quality, but not a safe scent. If you like floral, pepper and wood... this one will please. It will open up in that order of notes. I like pepper and smoke and wood so this is up my alley. I like new, different and interesting scents. This is not a clubbing, panty dropper, working scent. I think it's purely just for self appreciation and enjoyment.

Chicago Tony T
Chicago Tony T

If the dry down were more pronounced I would at least like this. Cedar is my favorite wood but it's so light while blended with the patch and vetiver. The floral/fresh opening is boring as well. I will say that it is well blended as most of the notes can be recognized but it's a reason it has been discontinued so quickly.

nexangelus
nexangelus

I am pretty pleased with this blind buy. I get a savoury lipstick affair. A spicy Dior Homme if you will. A peppery Iris. And the drydown is woody (cedar bomb) and peppery. I expected not to be too keen, as it is a celeb scent and I have not found one yet that I totally jive with, apart from Dita von Teese's first scent. This is a new love, however. The CdG element is what made the difference I think. There is a slight chocolate edge from the patch. As I said, a spiced up Dior Homme, what is not to like? Thumbs up!

p.s. this has a wonderful dusty quality to it. Definitely dries down to a powdery, sweet yet spicy melange. It is unusual, but that is what I like so much about it.

AZJeff
AZJeff

I thought I would give this fragrance a try since I think it was on clearance through a decant vendor. I really don't like this fragrance.
First of all what I get from this fragrance is it's both pungent and sharp, and then a little floral from the Iris and Violet. Both flowers are lovely in their fragrance alone and usually do well in most fragrances but not this one.!
The fragrance note combination doesn't make sense and doesn't combine well IMO. It smells too chemical or synthetic to my nose. I don't see how anyone could like this fragrance. But I guess there's a market for everything including this fragrance.
I wonder why this design house called this fragrance "Girl"? This isn't even hardly fit for men or boys let alone ladies or even girls.
The bottle design is too plain and I don't like the name which is too plain.

BroomRider28
BroomRider28

Easily, this is the cheapest smelling and most disgusting scent I have smelled in the last 10 years.
If the house of CdG taught Pharrell Williams that "there should be no boundaries," well, this train wreck of a cologne offers a good argument that there should be SOME boundaries.
I absolutely don't understand how anyone could like this, not even his most devoted fans.
Yes, we all have different tastes, and I'm always open for something different, but there's no denying the atrocious, overall cheapness of this cologne.
I wouldn't even call this a "drugstore fragrance" because it doesn't even rank that high.
I can't even imagine an over-the-hill, super-trashy prostitute wanting to wear this stuff.
Yes, it's that bad.
Avoid at all costs.

GregorAPBDH
GregorAPBDH

Went to the fragrance shop this morning with the intention of buying this. It was on sale for £30 down from £80 !! A £50 saving !!! I will just keep that £30 for something else ... Love the box & bottle but cant make up my mind about the smell. I might get it just to have it but right now it is a no from me.

iMaverick
iMaverick

I don't know why, but this scent reminds me of D&G Light Blue for women with a muskier edge to it. I could be very wrong since I haven't smelled Light Blue for years now, but somehow Girl makes me turn my head towards its way.

I like it. I'm not quite sure if I'd wanna own a bottle right away, but nothing really puts me off about it. To describe a scent in a nutshell, it smells like a fresh musky skin cedar combination. They call it unisex, and yeah, it is, but the dude would have to hide this in the drawer if he's afraid of possible social outcasting.

glitterlust
glitterlust

It wears much softer on skin versus a blotter.

To me it is very smooth, floraly woody powdery with a leather aspect. It shares the same vibe as another Lie creation, l'Essence Cerruti.

If it weren't so embarassing to look at, I'd buy it....... Oops, I bought it. It's actually very good and perhaps a modern masculine interpretation of Caron Royal Bain/Habanita.

guillermostf
guillermostf

Thanks to Aeternitas! i have one bottle of My Queen by Alexander McQueen. I always thought it was an unisex fragrance. If I have to believe you, i'll keep My Queen to myself, and i won't spent that amount in Girl.

papergurl
papergurl

I love iris, I love cedar, I love to be challenged. I have various niche and even several from the Chandler Burr series just to smell, my personal enjoyment. I don't wear them, but experience them. I have made several attempts because of Comme des Garcons and made it through two sample vials. This is like the Emperor's New Clothes...just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Infusion d'Iris is wearable, enjoyable, graphically iris-green. Strangely, I had used my sensual amber body butter from B&B the night before and that calmed down the pepper "spikes" a bit. The price tag, the bottle, the prickliness of the composition...well there are lots of bottles on the shelf collecting dust. The creative process is what it is all about, but they tried to market this and it doesn't seem to be what was expected. I shared with male friends and they won't touch it. Great thing is some folks do like it. I am just glad they have stopped pushing so hard, I would dodge the perfume area at my Sephora for weeks.

JaiTee
JaiTee

I know this is controversial, but while reading the reviews for Girl, I wish that budding perfumistas would hold-off on writing negative reviews until they've trained their nose to recognize various notes and how everything works together.

PW Girl is not your typical celebrity offering.

This perfume takes you through a journey beginning with a brisk, peppery lavender opening. It's intriguing because I'm used to lavender being sweetened up like in Burberry Brit Rhythm for Her or Caron Pour Un Homme, but instead, in Girl, it is accented by a dash of pepper.

The heart of the perfume reveals a powdery iris and violet, and just when you think PW Girl is a docile, timid creature, out comes the bitter and earthy vetiver to snap you to attention.

This stage is sharp, and one that newbies will be immediately turned-off at because typical designer perfumes don't go down this road. For a period of time, it even becomes as smokey as Chanel Sycomore on my skin. Overwhelming up close, but from arms-length, there's an airy feel to the entire piece.

In fact, it is EXACTLY like lcommisso writes in her review below -- the final act presents the airy, breezy personality of cK Be, married with an earthy, occasionally peppery ribbon running through.

This is a moody scent, so approach carefully! Not something for everyday wear, but more for the order and juxtaposition of the notes.

Longevity: about five hours on my skin.
Sillage: up to arm's length

Aeternitas
Aeternitas

Many of you have probably never tried Alexander McQueen's My Queen perfume. It's in a purple bottle, discontinued. Believe me when I say this smells EXACTLY like My Queen. The notes in both fragrances vary, but the scent ends up coming out the same. Both embody smoky violet notes with powdery iris on top of a strong, masculine base.

I love it. The bottle is absolutely horrendous, but I suppose I can get past that. I don't know who Pharell Williams is, by the looks of it he does music. I just got this as an unexpected sample and I think it's fantastic. The contrast of florals and woody notes are like leather and lace. A peppery world of opposites.

ptilda
ptilda

First there's the bottle, which has got to be the most amateur, immature, ugly, gawdawful thing ever dreamed up in the world of perfumery.

I smelled it on a strip a month or so ago and said, "he needs to stick to making music." Then was at Sephora and was talked into trying it again. I obligingly sniffed the paper and tried to give it another chance (the sales girl was quite knowledgeable this time, but was admittedly partial to iris, so that was her draw to this scent). When I ended up with a sample in my hand, I gave it one more chance on the back of my hand. This is just yucky. You might think that it's sophisticated and artsy, but it's not attractive. It's a cross between a musty basement, and grandma's old potpourri dish. I fail to understand what in the name of all things happy (pun on Mr. William's song) was going through the minds of the creators?

esteban747
esteban747

It opens with an uplifting pepper, very clean, clear and citrusy.
Feels like a spring morning.
I have to admit, so far this is not as bad as I was fearing.
Then it gets green and woody, with the iris, sandalwood and vetiver. At this point it seems to be unisex. The cedar and patchouli are the last notes to arrive.
So this girl likes to play the androgynous game. It's neither girly nor entirely masculine. The dry down has a smoky aura that I don't like that much.
Still, it's better than I thought.

mademoiselle-c
mademoiselle-c

Pharrell Williams' debut perfume "Girl" is neither girl nor boy. "Girl" steps beyond androgyny in to a realm of sheer bizarre and abstractness. I sprayed this perfume on myself today, and I thought of Williams Vivienne Westwood hat. One views the hat as either pure creative genius, or upon its gaze thinks "what is he thinking, that makes no statement and is just an odd choice in his ensemble." I, unfortunately, fall in to the latter category. Upon first spray, I wrinkled my nose at how complex and bitter this fragrance was. It seems to linger; it lasts and transfers itself on to any surface. I let this fragrance dry down and it did not get any better. For me, this, like the Vivienne Westwood mountie hat, is a fashion faux-pas, a bust, a "what were you thinking" moment that ends in Mr. Williams trying too hard to be creative.

fuggerone
fuggerone

woody and spicy with good duration and low projection, surely not worth its price tag....

I really don't like it at all. It's dry, a little powdery, a little woody, spicy and bitter fragrance. The violet note is too bitter in this one and neroli makes it even sharper. Mixed with pepper and cedar, it really smells like poison.
I don't get it, what is it even supposed to be? It's called Girl, but it's actually unisex and it's even more masculine than some men's fragrances. It makes no sense at all. If it's supposed to be cool and youthful, it's just a big fail.
What a disaster!

LisaMari
LisaMari

I really like it, it smells like a quality perfume, has good longevity but soft sillage. Its very green, fresh, dry and savoury, like peas with a dusting of pepper.. that sounds weird but it works. I think its too 'young and hip' for me but if someone bought it for me I would wear it.

deviation
deviation

I wanted to try this perfume because I like Pharrell songs. However, this thing smells just like Nirvana black. It opens with exact same notes as Nirvana black with sandalwood note and then after 5 minutes it turns into celebrity headachey scent.

Jakemusic
Jakemusic

I just tried this today at Sephora and I have to say this is the worst fragrance I have ever smelt. I like Pharrell a lot and follow his music but this was horrible. Sprayed it onto myself and cant get it off. Its horrible, being honest!

ojosverdes
ojosverdes

Tried it at Sephora and like it a lot. I think is wonderful. Will like to sample some more. It's quite woodsy and complex. Last a long time on the skin.

Vegas Pauli
Vegas Pauli

To me this has a creamy milky smell with a pinch of cinnamon. Like maybe a cross between sweet horchata (the mexican sweet rice drink) with cinnamon and some soft powdery white flowers. I sprayed the back of my hand and had a friend take a sniff....he literally started gagging. I can see where this can be unisex and I do give credit for creating something different in an over crowded market, its just not cup of tea. Slightly cheap and young smelling and it has zero sex appeal or sophistication. Smells like something a high school kid would wear. Interesting and worth a sniff, but def not worth purchasing.

houstcs
houstcs

I wasn't expecting much. And dont care for Mr Williams or his hats. But this is a different take on fresh grass, sorta like bubblegum and fresh grass. Worth a sample at least but overpriced

The heart is like a very weak narciso rodriguez for him edt

BringUsAShrubbery
BringUsAShrubbery

Meh. I couldn't even really smell it... very faint powder.

Playtime
Playtime

Tested it today. Liked it. It is an intriguing find on the drugstore shelf. I was also wearing Dior Homme Parfum at the same time. That was an interesting combination. It gave some edge to Dior Homme and elevated the iris in Girl. Being a female I find it completely unisex.

izogn
izogn

This is the worst perfume I have ever smelled in my life. Truly disappointed in Pharell for releasing this atrocity as a perfume. Gave me the worst headache when I smelled it at Sephora! Both the sales associate and I despised this scent. I had accidentally sprayed Angel on myself and told the SA how awful it was! She then said that Pharrell's perfume was worse. Of course I just had to be so darn curious to see what could be more unbearable than Angel. Anyway, how could anyone in their right mind wear this "Girl" crap? Other than to torture someone's olfactory system??

RheaNeilLogan
RheaNeilLogan

Love it. I am a big fan of Violets so the mix between spicy and powdery is very intriguing.

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

A pleasant woody spicy scent, reminds me of some other CDG fragrances, maybe Woderwood. I like its sheer powderiness which manages to smell unisex. Very modern, urban, asexual... I quite like it.

aspida
aspida

Awesome, classy! Reminds me of Nouf and Voyage by Hermes !
Unisex!

HanamiTsukimi
HanamiTsukimi

Girl somehow manages to be both powdery and aromatic at the top and, in my view, leans far more masculine than unisex. Though the masculine vibe diminishes as it wears. I'm fond of lavender, so I enjoy the prominent presence of that note. There's also a strong iris note here which is probably the source of the powder.

Not good, not bad, not groundbreaking. It basically smells like a deep, dark forest. A very dry deep, dark forest. Inhaling it too closely may induce a cough.

I'll put this under "like" for lack of a more appropriate category, but I'll mentally file it under "ambivalent."

lcommisso
lcommisso

I am not getting any sweet out of this, just straight pepper and cedar. I feel this fragrance has an identity crisis, from the bottle (which looks more fun and sweet), the name (also indicated sweet/innocent...it would be different if it was called "woman" and not "girl") to the fragrance itself, which is leaning towards masculine seasoned woods. Based on the other reviews, all of which has different experiences, I would try before you buy. Kudos though for being complex enough that there's so many different takeaways from this fragrance.

People are going to glare at me for this, but this smells like a cheaper version of Mitsouko, at least at the opening.

EDIT: The dry down is a peppery/woodsy CK Be.

ColdDiss
ColdDiss

Opens very very peppery. I don't love pepper in perfumes, especially along with whatever iso e super/ambroxan cedar thing that is used in everything these days -- something about it reads as rubbing alcohol to my nose. This one is no different, but I think that people who like that synth wood/pepper thing will find a particularly effervescent and sparkly example of it here. It dries down into Mon Jasmin Noir or Violet Blonde or Nirvana Black or your pick of the currently trendy scratched-up iris/violet scents.

All of which smell great. Which basically means that Girl smells great. If you wear it, people of all stripes will probably tell you that you smell great. Best worn by people under 25 who spend a lot of time in nightclubs proclaiming their flexibility.

SculptureOfSoul
SculptureOfSoul

Anyone else think the dry down of this smells like a lighter, fresher version of Narciso Rodriguez for Him?

chillalot
chillalot

The opening is very feminine slightly sweet...this did not come across as unisex...but the drydown is amazingly warm clean and fresh.. .a scent for all humans☺

When I read it was similar to Comme des garcons, I knew there wouldn't be anything girlie about it..it is purely masculine to me, mossy, dry, aromatic, without any complexity.
I know sone women will wear it, some like more masculine scents..
I would have prefered if Pharell had created two scents, one for women, one for men..those unisex scents usually lean toward masculine..and Girl surely does..
It gets a tad more floral in the base..so the base is indeed more unisex than masculine, makes me think of a drier Burberry Brit rythm, or a bit like TF Velvet orchid...
anyhow not impressed with that gender bender scent..for $90 you can find much better out there..

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

Celebrity scents are very not my thing. I detest celebrity culture and refuse to support it with any of my money (or with the clicks of my mouse, either). But the salesgirl at Sephora (reading the reviews, they must be pushing this hard at Sephora this fall) accidentally Maced me with it, so what was I to do? Turn it into a proper review. I took a sample home.

I was very surprised. It's nice. It's reasonably interesting. It seems well-made.

So I looked it up here on Fragrantica, and lo and behold, it's a Comme des Garcons collaboration. Now everything makes sense. By no means do I like all the CdG fragrances I've met well enough to wear them, but I have found them relentlessly interesting and usually odd, which I appreciate more than I can say.

Spring leaves, flower, smoke, vetiver, weird artificial iris dry down that lingers, though I think this is a very short-lived scent, for the most part.

I won't be buying it, but it is certainly not the worst overspray experience I've had at Sephora.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Girl has a peculiar opening which smells at the same time conventional and unusual: a compelling blend of clean-powdery flowers (violet), slightly creamy-soapy too (ylang?), something similar to musk ketones providing their signature sort of sweet milky-fruity creaminess (something quite close to fig, although it’s not listed), a really fresh and zesty mix of green, minty, aromatic herbs (I get basil and mint) and citrus-neroli notes, a pleasant, soft woody-mossy accord, vanilla and – here comes the slightly more “unusual” part – a well-executed spicy-resinous dry accord which I can not dissect but that manages to “break” an otherwise fairly conventional blend (green-fruity-woody-milky), making it become a somehow more creative, playful, colourful collage. I read these spicy-pungent notes may be pepper and styrax but I also smell something heavily synthetic that makes them slightly more pungent and rubbery. Anyway, the final result is a really pleasant and funny sort of “colourful white” scent, meaning it’s white, clean, green, but with a lot of nuances which go just great together – a pink silky-vanillic floral breeze, crunchy woody-green tips, a mossy base, a culinary-Oriental touch of spices, a hyper-fake fruity note which however here works somehow, and an overall contemporary feel (and also a bit “mainstream” to be honest... norlimbanol?) which is restrained and well-blended enough not to ruin the look. The drydown is a bit disappointing as it’s mostly about rubbery-spicy stuff, but for some 2-3 hours it’s a nice scent to wear. Shortly, not the most original fragrance around for sure, but it’s Pharrell in the end, and as far as I know him, I think it quite reflects his approach to music business: half mainstream, half creative, a bit “teenish”, but careful enough to put together a decent product. Too expensive for its value in my opinion and surely incomparable to several other Comme des Garçons, but still nice!

chrisndema
chrisndema

This perfume reminds me of the smell of an eraser we used to use at school. Its' not bad at all. Its a soft peppery woody fragrance with a slight floral. I wouldn't mind a full bottle as a gift this XMas.

ellementira
ellementira

This fragrance is not bad in the opening for me. Very fresh woody, with a hint of floral sweetness. But the drydown stage is unacceptable on my skin. It is 90% pepper, 10% wood-green. Sharp, stinging, biting to my nose. Nothing enticing or sexy, just bitter, dry greens. It reminds me a little bit of dry fig leaves, I'm surprised there is no fig leaf note. Perhaps it would be better suited on someone's skin who projected the iris a bit better, but on mine it's a scrubber.

MadeiraD
MadeiraD

I would love this if it weren't the sweet notes that lend the woody, green loveliness a weird rotten quality in the opening, it dries down to a peppery, warm sweet scent with green notes, and a hint of florals in the background. What is with that opening though? eugh.

heyjudette
heyjudette

I'm so confused as to why so many people are hating this! It's absolutely amazing. I love my scents to verge on masculine and this does it. The floral notes jump as does the pepper; then my loves vetivert and patchouli scream through. Ok I can get why some people may be turned off by this, specifically for the incense notes, but those are my favorites. And how nice is it to see a celeb fragrance use high end notes and give us something different?

Maybelle
Maybelle

I tried it at Sephora. I have not smelled anything this awful in a very long time. It reminded me of the bad old days when everyone in high school wore Revlon's Charlie!

Alysha
Alysha

I was surprised at this one. Tried it in sephora and I really did not like it. Definitely not a safe blind buy. Maybe it was the pepper that I didn't like. I haven't smelled anything like this before, so I wasn't expecting what I did smell. Maybe after time it gets better? My nose does not understand it at the moment.

Being myself a Comme Des Garcons aficionado, I don't deny that the news about this collaboration with Pharrell Williams left me a bit surprised. Yes, CDG delivered a bunch of *fancy* streetwear-inspired collections in the past (especially in their *Play* line) but, for the most part, I think their aesthetic is very distant from diamond rings / earrings and revised ranger's hats. I'm surely missing something here because there must be something else beside, um, mere commercial purposes that links these two entities but, when I think about Comme Des Garcons, what immediately comes to mind is their unmistakeable drop-crotch pants or their most avant-garde / punk-ish designs. I can't help it. Bascially because that's what I always liked about the brand. I can honestly live without their doodle-style red-hearts logos.

With that said, the fragrance is nothing more than a decent spicy woody concoction with floral facets. It opens with a leafy / green violet note paired to pepper. A smooth and kind of milky accord provide a fig-like vibe and some entertaining juxtapositions between transparent notes and opaque ones. The fragrance then turns into a darker synth woody / incensey drydown that dangerously borders into plastic-y woodyamber territories. That's it.

It's nice and, depending on your tolerance to woodyambers, it's also pleasant to wear but, while feeling *smarter* than most celebuscents available on the market, it really adds NOTHING to the Comme Des Garcons roster.

All in all I would suggest this to either Comme Des Garcons novices or to the brand's completists. People who don't have a special fondness towards the brand and are simply into *interesting* fragrances, might want to look somewhere else.

Given Kaws' involvement in the design of the bottle, this might become a collector's item pretty soon.

Rating: 6.5/10

platinum14
platinum14

Tried it this weekend.
On me this smells very much like sweet, sweet marzipan. It stays pretty sweet and I don't get much woodiness from this.
If this had been produced by Comptoir Sud Pacific, it would make sense, but I really don't feel de Comme des Garçons stamp here.

noni_345
noni_345

Saw this bottle at sephora was like meh, probably just another mass pleaser then idle waiting for a sample to be made, i took a whiff n was like, wait, waa? No fruity tutti notes here.
very dry spicy, very aloof...I had to leave before I could really explore it, will definitely be back to check this out. Will I like it? it might have to grow on me but
Its definitely worth a sniff people

henri345que
henri345que

SOTD: Comme des Garcons + Pharrell Williams Girl. I think that the association between Pharrell and CDG is something very natural. Both are able to create something between the commertial and the edgy or exotic according the project they are developing and i think that it was exactly this CDG hability that caught Pharrell atention and made him want to launch something through them: he was atracted by Wonderwood and its hability, as he says, to deliver something more hard, a pure woody fragrance, to the masses. Girls seems to be born from wonderwood, but for me it's successfull where that one fails. I dislike that wonderwood is too much monolithic on me, it gaves you the impression of wearing a fragrance made only of basenotes and nothing else. without a proper dynamic. Girl seems to keep the Wonderwood woodiness at a proper level, giving it the right balance and proper caliber to make it more unissex, In this version, i feel that the sandalwood stands out more in a creamier way. The cedar and vetiver are still very clear but they don't make the composition so dry and incensey. The part that i like the most, however, it's the harmony of the green and floral elements. Girl opens on me with a delicious green aroma, something that reminds me both of violet leafs and also of fresh figs. It's a green, slightly floral, creamy and milky aroma, very lovely. Then, on a second phase the the violet impression is continued by the floral iris side which is for me contrasted with a peppery impression, that seems to act here to make the balance between the masculine and feminine side of the composition. I like the subtle neroli touch, a citric flower that seems very suitable for both sexes with is slightly sweet, green and floral aroma, and i also enjoy the herbal and a little bit sweet use of the lavender here. Girl was a very nice surprise for me, a fragrance that it's like the most mainstream Pharrell musics: the elements are very known, but the hability in deliver them makes you enjoy the melody and even sing along or tap your foot once it starts to play. It's already between my favorite celebrity scents, i really want a bottle of it!

AmoreProfumi
AmoreProfumi

I did not care for this...tried it at Sephora's was excited to finally get a chance to test it out, sprayed the strip took it to my nose && ECK! was what came out...I said ooo really Pharrel?! No!...based on the notes I thought I was really going to like this no...&& this being labeled unisex it smells way to masc. Just spice you get so much of the pepper note...I mean hey I'm sure this is a very nice scent to the right person && if you like a nice peppery scent this will be up your alley, however not my cup of tea, can't really comment on sillage & longevity && to note the bottle looked a lot cheaper in person. If you're interested I say deff. try it out first.

Overall: 6/10 (+ for teaming with CDG && the bottle art)

Bella1
Bella1

Find a new signature!!! Just tried this at Sephora's and I'm loving it!!!
First whiff was... What is this? It reminds me
Of a Bond no.9.
It turns green and then musky, sweet, I don't
Know what it is, new, familiar? It fabulous for
Fall and winter!
All I know is I'm going back with my $135( really Pharrell??!)
Unti then I'm sniffing my scarf. Yum!

theperfumedveil
theperfumedveil

This thing makes me wanna use the F word. And I never use the F word. If that was "that guy in a hat"'s intention, he got it. Smells like he stole the scent from Michael Kors's Michael.

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

Overpriced perfume by that guy in a hat)). Intense musk opening and musky drydown, average longevity and silage. Called Girl, but advertised as for Girls and boys, so call it boys and girls instead)). Bottle is decorated with ugly drowning, nothing special going on otherwise, it remains other musky perfumes.

pravda48
pravda48

Apparently the opening of this LOVES my chemistry. (& I say 'opening' since I'm just 15 mins into wearing it.) I see some odd comments or that it's very masculine, but on me it's a soft, beautiful, just a tad spiced iris. And the best iris, I mean. That kind where it almost gets a doughy sweet quality to it, highly textured and with a warm fuzziness around the edges. I know it reminds me of something I can't put my finger on... Infusion d'Iris but w/ more sweetness and more earthiness, maybe. The pepper does add interest and the neroli/sandalwood are amping the creamy/sweet/doughiness, to my nose. It does have an overall cool comforting aura & the perfect amounts of grounding patch/cedar underneath this semi-sweet purple creamy spice.

I'm really enjoying it so far, but it's early yet so I'll report back.

Thanks for my oh-so generous sample from APassionateJourney! <3

P.S. WHAT, pray tell, is that blue... thing, on the bottle?? lol!

[9.29.14]

PerfumeManiac101
PerfumeManiac101

I smelt this at Sephora yesterday. And I will say, I was VERY surprised! It is one of the best fragrance I have ever smelt! It is peppery and floral with a bit of sweetness. Well done Pharrell! 100000000000/10

primarycook
primarycook

Starts off in a disharmonious fashion, all dichotomy and sharp edges, but then it smooths out into something pretty nice. I'm pleasantly surprised, as I expected less overall (sorry Pharrell, love your music, just didn't expect a perfume from you). The various wood notes are smooth and softened by the powdery iris. The violet is not prominent to me, but perhaps it also tempers the woods. Smells pretty good and not like a lot of the mainstream scents out there right now. It's unisex, and I would try it again and spray it a little more heavily. I went very lightly, as I really didn't think I was going to care for it, but you know how it is, you have to try it because it's new and right there in the entrance to Sephora. The bottle is off putting to me, but my teen daughter liked it. Definitely worth a serious sniff. Or two. It may just grow on you.

alex_deshazo
alex_deshazo

Just got mine today! Ok so I hope I'm not the only one that is reminded of Bvlgari Mon Jasmine Noir when I spray this on my skin. I have to wear it a little bit more to give a more detailed review but so far I like it a lot! I will say this is not a scent for everybody this is one your probably going to want to smell before you purchase. I love the dry down of this perfume it just gets better and better as it starts to fade away into the heart and base notes. This lasted fairly decent on my skin but still not as long as I would have hoped it would. It is a tiny bit more on the masculine side as I have found but with it reminding me of B MJN I defiantly think women could where this too! It does fall under the category of of classy and chic for me as well. Bravo Pharrell Williams! And thank you for breaking away from the celebrity fruity/florals and cotton candy/cupcake scents!

Jest
Jest

I don't know where everyone is getting the masculine vibe from this perfume. To me, it smells intensely feminine. In fact, it smells exactly like a "pussywillow".

Fragrantguy
Fragrantguy

Just sampled this at Sephora and was totally surprised by the results. Not gonna lie, it smells a little like dryer sheets AT FIRST, but then turns into a beautiful powdery/floral woody scent. This scent reminds me of Dior Homme Eau for men mixed with Versace's the Dreamer. The dry down brings out it's own pretty vibe in the end which on me smelled mildly feminine. I'm not sure about how I feel about it coming out close to winter time considering it's a mild scent that I don't think will project to much in the cold. I suppose it will work for the current fall weather as the woods and peppers will keep it lightly warm. This fragrance is a definite unisex, as it goes back and forth between florally/woody/powdery. Not bad 7/10

Stacierew
Stacierew

I got a sample of this today and I am going bonkers for it. It is a vast departure from my usual gourmands. My nose seems to be maturing a bit, as I recently fell in love with Kate Walsh's Boyfriend. This scent feel similar, not in smell but in concept. On first sniff, I thought-"big ol mess...but wait" sniffed again. There is something very compelling about this scent. My skin struggles with vetiver, but only slightly.-as it is mellow enough to not scream "masculine". After an hour I end up with the most beautiful soft floral wooded fragrance on my skin. There is a hint of sweetness and warmth. It lasts a very long time, still going strong after several hours. I sprayed it around my neckline, and my hair smells divine. I cant stop sniffing this! I only wish it were a bit cheaper...or that they had a mid-size bottle. Pharrel Williams.....who knew?

gingerlily
gingerlily

This seems like too many woods to really smell balanced and harmonious, but I haven't tried it on my skin yet. For me the notes fight for attention like a room full of screaming trees. The bottle neck looks cheap and poorly put together, like there should be something covering the seam between spray and bottle. I do love the artwork, but sadly, not the juice inside. I will try it on before a shower to give it another chance without risking the commitment.

Scent2Bed
Scent2Bed

A true Comme Des Garçons fragrance. Not for everyone, but a great scent indeed. It tends to be more masculine than feminine, so with the name GIRL there might be issues ahead.

But a nice addition to a fragrance wardrobe for anyone who appreciates the Comme Des Garçons library of fragrances.

deadidol
deadidol

What I like about this scent is that it bridges a number of divides with a relatively short reach. It's mainstream yet imaginative, commercial yet compelling, avant-garde yet wearable—categories which, for better or for worse, tend to be mutually exclusive in modern perfumery. Furthermore, it’s perfectly unisex in its harmonizing of florals with woody notes. Most of all, it’s an easy and fun scent to wear without making too strong of a statement.

The opening is an affable merger of milky violets, green notes, and a nutty cedar that, together, smell similar to the white chocolate truffle accord in CB I Hate Perfume’s 2nd Cumming. It’s sweet but subdued—a nougat-filled candy bar with a crushed almond-like texture to it. While the sweetness is mellower than the recent crop of men’s designer scents, it’s more playful and far less serious than most of them. The hallmarks of mainstream are present, though: a lightly powdery iris and a balmy woody base, but neither are pushed to into the sort of out-of-focus blob territory that so many mainstream designer scents resort to. In fact, it’s almost as if the scent is monkeying with mall-scent cliches in a knowingly ironic way. The green facets seem to be vetiver-driven, and there’s a light spice note to add a layer of textured sheen. This opening feels like it wants to head in a more avant-garde direction, but it plays it safe for the most part.

As it dries down, the wood is revealed as a creamy cedar, and some of the sweeter facets drop away to expose an iris/violet combination with prominent lactonic support alongside a slight musky base. Picture a block of pale cedar soaked through with a lavender-colored dye and you’ll get the picture. The end result is a milky iris/violet-infused and sweetened woody thing; it’s a bit like the olfactory equivalent of drinking a purple milkshake.

I really had no idea what to expect with this. I really don’t know much about Pharrell or KAWS, and both CdG and Antoine Lie’s recent releases have left me bored. But this is a smart, cheery pop scent that’s easy to wear, demands little contemplation, and isn’t domineering in the slightest. Although it’s quite removed from CdG’s chilly industrial urbanisms, Girl is undeniably modern in that it weaves creative accords into a relatively accessible blend for both widespread as well as selective appeal. While it featured a unique series of notes, it sits somewhere in the ballpark of 2nd Cumming and Philosykos (but not as figgy)—both in terms of general aesthetics as well as performance. So, a green, clean, milky sheen of a fragrance that might not be CdG’s best work, but it’s certainly one of the better mainstream celebuscents available right now. Totally pop, but totally fun at the same time.

LadyMaverick
LadyMaverick

This reminds me very much of Infusion d'Iris. It is slightly sweeter, less dry, but the idea is the same. It is green-powdery scent. It was slightly too masculine for me, but my husband uses it and likes it. The longevity is around 5 hours.

Na0
Na0

Another celeb fragrance, and by Pharrell ? No...

WAIT.

Comme Des Garçons ? Antoine Lie ?

OMG, Can't wait !

ismellsogood
ismellsogood

fingers x :)

sky hype
sky hype

Can't wait!
Look at this beautiful KAWS bottle!

Girl by Pharrell Williams 2.96 out of 5 based on 285 ratings and 83 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Pharrell Williams Girl fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Pharrell Williams Girl, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Girl by Pharrell Williams. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Girl by Pharrell Williams represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.