Designers » N-Q » Oriental Woody « Groups

Ambre Gris Pierre Balmain for women
dislike

I have it: 813 I had it: 231 I want it: 746 My signature: 10

cinnamon
Ambre Gris Pierre Balmain for women Pictures Ambre Gris Pierre Balmain for women Pictures

In March 2008 the house Pierre Balmain launches a new fragrance named Ambre Gris EDP. It is composed of myrrh, cinnamon, pink pepper, immortal flower, benzoin, tuberose and ambergris. It comes in a retro bottle in a shape of cube with gold colored top available in sizes 75ml (2.6 0z.fl.) and 100ml (3.4 oz.fl.).

The nose behind this fragrance is Guillaume Flavigny.

Pink Pepper Benzoin Cinnamon Myrrh

J'ose

Ambre Gris Fragrance Reviews

mapache
mapache

Oh, how did I wait sooooo long to buy this ?? !!
I love this scent. Aromatic,yes, touch of myrrh, yes, peppery, yes....and the ambre gris..YES !!
I do not really get any tuberose....???...but I will survive, even tho I like tuberose. This is a classic scent....unisex, for sure. Ir starts off pink peppery, then...myrrh/amber vibe....then aromatic muskiness.
Again....like I always say...you have to be patient and explore this fragrance...let it transform and develope.
I find it goes threw a few stages when I wear it.
I find it "different" than anything I currently own.
A true gem !!!! Projection/sillage are decent.

Madrona
Madrona

The bottle is perfect. This is a very gray fragrance. Not a dull, ashy gray, but a shiny gray. I put my nose to my wrist and I smell pencil shavings, the scribble of graphite against paper, footsteps on a stone floor echoing through empty halls, running your palm over the backs of endless books on endless wooden shelves, the soft swish of a robe just about kissing the floor as you walk. I guess it is the scent of the Great Library in the Tower of the Arcane in some fantasy novel. I love a scent that inspires me. This inspires me.

auroramaria
auroramaria

For me this is one of Balmain's best fragrances!A true classic but very modern at the same time.It's sweet, creamy slightly aromatic and very warm.
This does not smell right in the heat it's best for fall and winter it smells amazing in cold weather.
Sillage and longevity the best you can get.
Very feminine with a unisex vibe.

Calvini
Calvini

This is absolutely THE BEST cheap amber fragrance out there! Definitely ahead of Prada's signature amber. It's warm, slightly aromatic, floral, and even salty without feeling sweaty; very complex and niche-like compared to most other commercial ambers!

Imadele

I swear my father wore something like this in the 70's .. We also lived by the ocean so perhaps there is also an association there .. I recall the 70's were very animalistic .. I would prefer on a man.

Jernê Knowles
Jernê Knowles

Pierre Balmain and the olfactory adventures as usual. I admire the House for these follies represented in olfactory pyramids of their fragrances in the case, Ambre Gris is an aromatic mutation which still can not define it, and maybe I will die and never get such a feat, however, if I ever reach excellence set it with my poor nose, for me it is a great achievement in the world of perfumery. It is a scent that hides in you of its opening to his farewell, but at the same time hiding it reveals a remarkable lasting power, is a joint Cinnamon and sequinha wood with resinosidade Myrrh and Benzoin of spicy and hot apaixonantemente divine form; here is the "cat leap" this fragrance, so I get it the fragrance containing notes aromatize the resin content, they behave intimate and explosive form on the skin, alternating between these two phases to volatizarem altogether, and Ambre Gris that is quite evident! Soon he becomes a floral burly with tuberous, but here are a bit artificial do not know if because of the intervention of most resins, however, is cool, because the sweetness he brings is tolerable transmitting refinement and elegance. In the end, he becomes a woody, but without losing femininity because of the musk that sensualizes stop and it gets a spectacular amber colored, and resins continue the fund, sweetening and making the dense fragrance, is an amalgamation of endnotes and sometimes the notes means they are making their farewell track a mess a la Pierre Balmain, you know, such a beautiful blurring that makes us need to use more than 50 times to know it will because like it or no! I see him as a perfumão for milder days and more reserved occasions, it is more or less around!

Word of the day: confusion... (day 82)

mitsouko19
mitsouko19

Me gusta mucho la salida, tiene tanta mirra como esperaba, que es por lo que compré este perfume. A los pocos minutos la siempreviva se suma a la canela, el benjuí, la pimienta y el almizcle durante varias horas. Por detrás hay un fondo amaderado salpicado de notas marinas ligeramente saladas, supongo que el ámbar gris, que son difíciles de aprehender y te hacen llevar la muñeca a la nariz una y otra vez en el intento de conseguirlo.

El sillage es moderado y la longevidad aún no lo sé, de momento siete horas. El frasco sobrio y elegante.

Sin que se parezcan en nada más, el toque marino sí que me recuerda a Dune.

hedward
hedward

- Hazy warmth -

This was love at first smell. When I tried Ambre Gris for the first time the world around me slowed down and a strong sense of euphoria raced trough me.. "Finally I've found it" I thought to myself.

To me this isn't really signature worthy because it doesn't really smell like "me", but it's truly a scent that works up my emotions. AG reminds me of my early childhood and the hazy imagination world where one lives as a young child - the moments spent waiting for cookies to bake or the occasional hugs you get from your mother. It's a touch of innocent love and unending curiosity.

As far as the notes are concerned I get lots of salty and dry immortelle, sweet cinnamon and powdery musk. AG is somewhat "dusty" that gives it a vintage feel - think of an old attic. Linear and unisex more towards feminine. Great longevity!

Indescribably beautiful. A piece of art.

If this fragrance was a song it would be:
Chihei Hatakeyama - Ferrum

x_perfumecrazy_x
x_perfumecrazy_x

Too powdery and dryish for me not warm or sweet. Just not for me

darksome

Dream team trio: Ambre Gris. Huge, fluffy, cosy cashmere pullover. Luxurious, sweet, sparkling champagne.

Wysteria
Wysteria

Ambre gris is a very warm, balsamic and sweet scent. Extremely pleasing! It's great in winter. It's also very easy to wear but different then what the majority is wearing. This is a great option for those who want a warm and oriental fragrance without reaching for something that has a lot of vanilla.

It stays close to you but lasts quite a while.

I will be spraying a lot of ambre gris this winter. Will be a good one for layering also!

perfumeaddiction

Extreme comfort in a bottle. I had this a few years ago and swapped it. I just had the desire to try it again and purchased a new bottle. WHAT WAS I THINKING NOT KEEPING IT? It's gorgeous I mean drop dead gorgeous. The Amber, that stout bottle with the awesome gold golf ball cap. This fragrance is just incredibly stunning. So much in fact I am going to pack up most of my winter scents and stick with this one exclusively. If you enjoy amber with a touch of cinnamon and live in a cooler place where you are experiencing winter this one is ideal. Lasting power is fantastic!

dormir6
dormir6

Resinous, still slightly savoury. Not gourmand at all. Feminine instead. A fluffy cloud of grey. Comforting, classy, warm, clever, elegant.

maryjett
maryjett

Christmas in a bottle! My favorite sweet deep balmy cinnamon scent!! Comfortable winter scent :)

Mona-Jo

I have to do another review. Yes. I'm biased. I sense the Amber Gris but its behind the benzoin, cinnamon, myrrh. Even with a few spritzs today, I will still smell it tomorrow. This is heaven to me. The initial spicey zap doesnt stay. You really have to give this a proper wear before judging.

K1
K1

Yummy animality. Ambre Gris is all matter of skin. It does perform different on my coarse skin to its performance on porcelain feminine skin. On me it's an ordinary creamy myrrh like a fancy facade on an ordinary building. But on feminine skin it becomes 3D with depth and bold saline animality mingled with resinous air. Ambre Gris is a juxtaposition of two irrelevant vibes; comfortable marine musk, and edgy persistent resinous dryness. Lovable item indeed, but not too much to die for.

The base goes with sheer leather sweetness in addition to creamy theme. In general, Ambre Gris is creamy saline, luxe oriental, sensual and sexy, easy to wear, and warm classy. What I love about this perfume is absence of mainstream floral notes, yet it's feminine.
★★★

انیمالیک خوشمزه! بوی امبر گریس کاملا به پوست ربط داره. روی پوست خشن من کاملا متفاوت از چیزی عمل میکنه که روی پوست ظریف زنونه نشون میده. روی پوست من یه بوی معمولی خامه ای چرب از نت مرّ هست مثل ساختمونی که درونش بده اما نمای زیبایی داره. اما روی پوست زنونه همین نمای سطحی ماهیت سه بعدی میگیره، عمق میگیره و بویی از حس نمکی دریایی حیوانی رو در ترکیب با فضای صمغی شرقی نمایش میده. امبر گریس تصادمی از دو حس کاملا نا مرتبط به هم هست: حس مشک مانند عنبرسائل که در واقع نت انتمالیک دریایی و نمکی (امبرگریس یا عنبر) هست، با حال و هوای خشک و لبه دار رزینی مرّ. واقعا کار دوست داشتنی هست اما نه اونطور که بمیرین براش

لایۀ آخر این عطر با اکورد روشن و لایت چرم و شیرینی این اکورد تزیین شده. در کل، امبر گریس یه عطرخامه مانند، نمکی و لوکس شرقی، حساس و ظریف و سکسی، راحت و بی دردسر، و گرم و با کلاس هست. چیزی که در مورد این عطر دوست دارم عدم حضور نتهای فلورال هست و عطر همچنان زنونه بحساب میاد.
★★★

LeonieB
LeonieB

My first blind buy. Eeeeesh
Something and nothing. Don't like the something.
Deeply dislike this in the same way I dislike Christian Dior Gris Montaigne. Salty watery, airy, a bit foetid.
Not getting anything: no more blind buys for me!

cecfor
cecfor

Nice airy light amber. Not heavy at all. It has a popcorn vibe in the middle phase. So far it is very nice, even great. But the drydown I am sorry to say, I dont like at all. I find it very artificial, and potent at that. Drydown is really annoying me and therefore it goes to the dislike shelf. Before you buy be sure to wear it through, is my advice.

Bandit

For those who like it, but find it too masculine: Try Immortelle Marilyn from Nez a Nez instead. It's the sweet version of Ambre Gris, if you ask me.

fyre92
fyre92

this smells like a mens cologne....... not bad just not what i expected. will probably regift or use for work as it isnt particularly strong.

sueshow
sueshow

I really like this and hope to get my own bottle soon. I wish I was good at describing notes, but to me it smells fresh, like you just got out of the shower and used a very nice soap. A tiny bit masculine could be unisex? It just smells fresh and clean to me.

Venusia
Venusia

Initial strong blast of myhrr, benzoin and pepper for 30 minutes, going a little sweet musky and light flowery for an hour or so, drying down to light sweet cinammon and some wood and smth. really soft like amber (gris?). I don't know what immortelle should smell like, I suppose it is that what I get in the middle notes and maybe a hint of tuberose too. Not gourmand sweet, really fine and elegant scent, wearable without offense to anyone. For autumn, winter warm and cozy. Good sillage for 2 hours, longevity about 5 hours already. I am happy with it. My beautiful 75ml bottle stays with me - right next to Ivoire.

ThisVulture
ThisVulture

From the listed notes you might expect something rich and resinous, but Ambre Gris, to my nose, is built on a base of laundry musk: clean, comforting, and easy to wear. The other notes blend seamlessly into it, making it hard to pick out anything in particular, but there is an airy tuberose accord along with a slight and soft note of myrrh, clean cinnamon, faintly spicy immortale, washed amber, and vanillic benzion. It doesn't seem to have any ambergris (real or otherwise) but there is a slight salty quality to the perfume that recalls it.

The overall impression quite sweet. The notes are all blended smoothly into the hazy glow of laundry musk and the effect is like the gleam of a pearl. I've heard it described as a "watercolor oriental" and that seems to fit Ambre Gris perfectly.

Amour, Michele
Amour, Michele

Try this on skin, not paper. I didn't really like it and I certainly would not have purchased it if I just tested it on paper. On paper, it is just pure spice central and that never dies down. On skin, it's spicy then it becomes a very comforting cuddly thing of warmth. It's definitely a sweater kind of scent! The bottle is also so sophisticated. I don't know what world ppl live in where golf balls look like this lol It will make any vanity look gorgeous! Plus, you can have this for pennies at the discounters.

ellina1984
ellina1984

First of all, the bottle is absolutely gorgeous. The sparkly cap, the understated glass flacon, everything just screams luxury.

Now, the scent: The top notes have a "sweaty" - dirty thing going on. And the salt is noticeable, not just as the absence of sweetness, but as a salty aura per se. At this point, I'd call it interesting, or challenging.

The heart and drydown are sweet (not cloying - just more-ish) and spicy. Not aggressively spicy, but sweetly spicy, with cinnamon being very prominent. I can also detect something vanillic, in a boozy way. It actually reminds me of vintage Dior Addict, only lighter and airier.

This is not the masterpiece I was expecting after falling head over heels in love with Ivoire, but it's still nice. I just wish the scent rivalled the beauty of the bottle.

Planet_X
Planet_X

At last zoka have changed amber on ambergris in Ambre Gris and Kenzo Indigo, yay! Coz in every topic "Recommend Me An Amber Fragrance" first of all people would suggest Ambre Gris as such. But it does NOT have an amber note. It was very misleading. Amber is in Ambre Sultan for example, Ambre Fetiche of Goutal

Ambergris is now synthetic of course, its ambroxan, yet it so recognisable in every fragrance, it has salty-sweet and musky aroma, lingering and calling to your inner-self smell. Smell of natural instincts due to chemical molecule I would say:p Kind of aphrodisiacy as it's hard to forget fragrances with "ambergris" note and if it appeals to you - you will wear it till the last drop.

Angelica 000
Angelica 000

This has been a constant in my wardrobe for many years.Unique, softly elegant & very feminine.It puts me in mind of a confident, stylish woman who doesn't need to broadcast her arrival.It's also one that benefits from warmth, so for bedtime...but beware!

HoneyBoots1
HoneyBoots1

Blind buy that does not seem to reflect the favourable reviews here. Opens in a chemical way, and it's very industrial smelling to me, not natural so it's like any department store fragrance and lacks uniqueness. I am not certain it is even distinguishable as a scent. Tried to kill it with blasts of Not A Perfume which usually softens any fragrance's rough edge, to no avail. A litigator could wear it to court and possibly cause everyone in a three foot radius to leave the room, so it may have some unusual practical uses.

Mona-Jo

I'm getting this in a blind swap. Can't wait.
You can buy this for $110US for 2.5oz, $49cdn for 2.5oz and $67cdn for 3.3oz. All online.
I smell Benzoin, Cinnamon, Myrrh and I guess what is Ambre Gris.
It smells warm and soft. It actually smells Gray to me. It has a smokey vibe to it but without the scent of smoke. This is going to be one of my favorites.

Imadele

In response to AUNZBOX .. Wow !!

LizzieDee
LizzieDee

The top notes of this scent are intoxicating and yet slightly medicinal. After the first ten minutes or so, what comes through more and more is tonka bean, which the bottle of Ambre Gris I picked up to test in Selfridges listed as one of the heart notes although I see it isn't mentioned on this site. For me, the tonka bean overwhelmed the benzoin and insense. They are there, but almost drowned by the shouty tonka bean. What I don't get much of is amber.

shushkin
shushkin

Pleasant but thats about it. Very mildly ambery, spicey, slightly sweet and musky marine salty skin scent on me. It seems very feminine and definitely not a fragrance for my fella. No where near as strong as SL Ambre Sultan or similar to SL Gris Clair of which I have both and love. The longevity is good. I love the bottle.

sangtiede
sangtiede

It sounds a bit strange, but it’s hard to part with winter. I’m used to wearing warm, cosy mittens and scarves, walking in the parks, listening to snow crunch under my feet, and then drinking hot tea with lemon or milk and cardamon and eating medovik (Russian honey layer cake with cream).
For me, Ambre Gris Balmain is a symbol of winter, friendly gatherings, warmth and homeliness. Ambre Gris smells like strong-tasting black tea with sugar, honey cake and oriental spices. It’s beautiful and elegant.

MoonSparrow
MoonSparrow

I shouldn't like this, really. I've been ordering perfume samples like mad lately and had just about decided that I don't care for amber nor do I care for cinnamon in a fragrance (though I love it separate from my skin). And then along comes this gorgeous thing which I ordered only because I wanted to try a fragrance with ambergris as a note and quite frankly I could not find that many.

It starts out really sweet on me - not candy sweet though, more of a dreamy marshmallow cloud sweet. Hmm, I thought. Not too shabby but not remarkably different from any other mature sweet fragrance. I wasn't getting ambergris but then again, I really didn't know what exactly I should be smelling...and then it hit me after about an hour: little soft wisps of mellow salty air; a beautiful counterbalance to the amber. I love it! It grew on me and I think of a Selkie sitting on a rocky shore, eating divinity left as a gift for her by a suitor. Just as he approaches to try and steal her seal skin while she's not looking, she slips it back on and disappears into the sea, splashing saltwater on the crumbs of her dessert as she goes.

A delightful surprise among the many samples I've ordered, and a strong contender for next full bottle purchase.

Eira Sol
Eira Sol

First of all, the longevity is amazing!

Ambre gris is a real steal. You can get it for two songs and the quality is great. The bottle is beautifully made with heavy glass and a cap that stays on.

So, to the most important part: The smell! This "genre" of perfume is not my favorite, so I shouldn´t be to enthusiatic. But I am! I feel mysterious and bold when I wear this, because it definently radiates and makes a statement in a oriental-sexy-unsual type of way. The slight sweetness in the drydown makes it very wearable.

This is my second Balmain (Ivoire is my other), and I like them both even though they are so different.

guest_Sharkington
guest_Sharkington

Why did it take me so long to try this? I should have listened to the members here sooner! This is by far one of the best amber scents I have tried and has quickly become a favorite.

Even if you aren't huge on amber, I still recommend trying this and waiting about 20-30 minutes because the dry down is one of the most beautiful smells ever to hit my nose. It turns from a sharp amber that is actually quite masculine, which I really like, but once the amber dies down, it turns into this sweet, creamy, resinous scent - I also get a lot of immortelle (I am surprised it isn't detected in higher amounts by others, but I guess the resins do mask it a bit)) and while I don't have many fragrances with this note, thanks to ambre gris, it has inspired me to find more with it. In a way, the dry down of Ambre Gris reminds me a lot of the dry down of Givenchy Pi. While they aren't the same, it has similar vibes.

This could easily be marketed as unisex because I do not find it more feminine over masculine. Good for day and night, It's a very sexy, alluring scent. I can't imagine this smelling bad on anyone. So happy to have found this and I am soon getting a backup as I don't see my current bottle lasting very long. c:

SamHD
SamHD

This was a blind buy, based on reviews here. I must admit that I was quite surprised by this fragrance. On first sniff it was all frankincense (although this isn't listed as a note), and it was very strong. I didn't recognise any of the notes, although in all fairness I'm not great at picking out notes anyway.

It really wasn't what I was expecting at all. It's also quite masculine, but there is a hint of sweetness. It reminds me of a man's aftershave,

BUT!

It's totally gorgeous, spicy, inscensy, rich, moreish. It drys down to a really exquisite scent that I just love.

Shalimar is next on my 'try' list, but in the meantime I'll be loving wearing this.

armacoonsum
armacoonsum

I feel honored to have a large bottle of this beauty on my shelf... by the way, how gorgeous is the bottle? Could not more perfectly represent the magic it holds inside.
A perfume with an immortelle note is not easy to find, and I love the herbal, vaguely salty, slightly hay-like aroma of it. Immortelle is a fine co-star in this production, with the star of the show being ambergris, as the name implies... although it is not listed as a note, I believe the combination of musk and amber in this one give that animalic impression of ambergris... two of my very favorite notes, ambergris and immortelle, in one perfume!
First blast is a bit unisex, leaning toward masculine, for me, with a zing of what I would sense to be bergamot... not at all unpleasant, but not what I want this fragrance to be about, either. Happily, the "zing" graciously exits moments in, and I am left to loll about in the velvety blanket that is Ambre Gris...
I applied heavily last night, and, upon the drydown, decided that the scent reminds me of a cat napping on a carpet in a shaft of filtered sunlight through a curtain. The musk in this is so perfect as to give the idea of warm cat's fur... that velvety patch right behind the ear.
The sillage is modest, but this is kind of something I want to keep between myself and a person very close to me.
As I mentioned, I sprayed heavily last night, and Ambre Gris was still going strong when I woke this morning... such a lovely reminder, that I was compelled to go back for more.
Yes, this has earned its place in the top 5. :)

levanta
levanta

Just received my bottle and i am sooo happy, i have just spreyed my arm and i just cannot stop smelling it... very unusuall scent but soo familiar and warm at the same time.... i will check the drydown and i'll be back..

RosieRachel
RosieRachel

The house of Balmain produces yet another heavenly fragrance in a wonderful art deco bottle. I love wearing Ambre Gris all the time. It's just silky smooth perfection and I love how there is nothing jarring in this composition for me. A very comforting, calming and well-blended perfume.

This very sensual and sophisticated fragrance smells so good on me that it is like wearing a second skin. At times it's a tiny bit spicy, a tiny bit sweet or a tiny bit salty, which I think adds to an alluring and mysterious aura.

On my skin, Ambre Gris begins warm and creamy at first, which is mostly the warm amber and sweet tuberose peppered with an occasional salty accord, before it settles into the most beautiful resinous scent that's utterly addicting... Sillage is soft (it's very much a skin scent); and longevity is at least 8-9 hours.

UPDATE: Repeat wearings has revealed something plasticky about the composition. I don't know what it is, but it started to bother me, and I haven't worn it a lot since. I still adore the scent, though. I would only purchase this if I could find a bottle pre-reformulation.

LisaMari
LisaMari

The cinnamon is really strong in this and I just don't like cinnamon - it smells dirty and wrong :/

Shivana
Shivana

This is simply heaven in a bottle. Truely a Masterpeice.

I can not stop wearing, Balmain's Ambre Gris, and I have been wearing it for around 6 months now.

If you are searching for something rare and different, and you still want a modern fragrance with an old world, classic feel, this might be just perfect.

It lasts easily on me for over 8 hours.

No soap or leather, just pure creamy, powdery divinity.

Reese1861
Reese1861

I bought this and when it arrived, I wasn't sure if I was going to like it - thought maybe it was too sweet for me? It smelled okay on paper, but sometimes perfumes can smell great on paper and then when you wear them, things change - and not for the better!

I wore it today and I have to say, I adore it. I am surprised. Looking for a second bottle. It is winter when I am writing this - cold outside. I don't think it's over powering, but I think it has a pretty good longevity because it's been about 7-8 hours and I can still smell it (at least on my sweater I can).

It's not at the tippy-top of my list, but it's a good one for sure. I'm looking for a back up bottle!

archivist
archivist

This is nice. A little musky, a little salty, a little aromatic. Wears close to the skin for me, and doesn't seem as robust in the sillage as Ivoire, but it's nice. Unlikely to offend anyone, and unisex.

Mirabele

This one is actually weird. But I've been using it so often lately, that it almost feels like having a signature fragrance. Two years of hunting "the one" and concluding there is no "the one" for me, and so unexpectedly founding myself liking this weirdness a lot.

I actually disliked it when testing two years ago. I wrote a polite review saying it is ok, but thinking i don't really like it at all. I thought it smelled musky, sweet, pink, lazy Sunday and so not me at all.

I forgot then about it for a while then again found myself wondering whether this one might be re-test worthy. I actually had no sample to test. I had a gift card in a perfume store, and surprised founding this one here. Tested also many others, but found this one so different and bought a bottle, thinking this would be least redundant fragrance in my collection. well, it really is.

The bottle is a story by itself. It is beautiful. Simple, elegant, chic, art-deco. It is even much better looking in reality than in pictures here. That grey glass is beautifully transparent, the shape is perfect with strong angles, you may think of it as a bit masculine, well it is, but the cap gives again a chic feminine touch with that golden glitter and round form. This is beautiful representation of the scent itself – weird masculinity with a touch of chic femininity.

I don’t know how to describe the scent, many others have done here better that I can. It reminds me of marine air, walking close to the ocean, with salty waves reaching into your face and that saly air coming into your nose. It smells so salty and spicy to me. This spiciness has a masculine vibe to me, almost too masculine. i am not a fan of spicies in general, and here myhrr is too much for me.

I was afraid to wear it on its own for the first two weeks and wore only at home or layered with some vanillas..i am still reluctant to wear it around my boyfriend, because i find it a bit too masculine. And I still don’t know why I like it. This saltiness, I guess, is my favorite part. It is so unusual. No sweetness here at all – I love that too. It is also musky. I don’t smell any flowers here, and this is a good thing, flowers are not my thing, anyway, I have learned lately. I am not a fan of the opening, it is sharp and spicy and I hate spices. But then it mellows down to a creamy goodness and I am sold.

i still don't see it as a sexy scent, as so many says here, but maybe i will cahnge my mind about that, too. for me it is more like "leave me alone i am fine" kind of scent. but also slightly comforting at the same time.

I found out that it layers well with many of my other fragrances, softens others hard edges and prolongs their longevity.

Longevity is pretty good, about 4 hours, sillage is a bit too much for me, especially in the opening, since I prefer my scents close to my skin.

EDIT: It really is too spicy for me. I am considering swaping away.

fabianabruna
fabianabruna

Just got this one today 75ml, its not for me. Bought blind as I was looking for something creamier, in my skin smells incense! Swap in Canada, Anyone?!

Vegas Pauli
Vegas Pauli

An elegant gray cloud of musky powder, this is a good one. Soft and evasive but there is no mistaking you've entered the room with something interesting going on.
Its hard to describe, but I understand the comments about Ambre Gris being like a second skin. Its blends in really well when applied and immediately adapts, this is one well made formula. It is a mature scent all the way, nothing frilly or overly attention grabbing. This is quiet, refined and confident, old school but in the best kind of way.
Some will disagree but I get a little of the original Oscar with a touch of Tiffany for Men in it, but not on sweet side of either of those. I also get some may feel it's masculine, but overall its a women's scent, or unisex at the very least. Def one of the better fragrances that has come about in the past several years. If you can get it at a bargain, I say go for it, you wont be sorry. But then again it also owns a well deserved shelf space at Neiman Marcus where I saw it recently. Overall, a big thumbs up.

ingelot
ingelot

It took me a while to fully appreciate it, but now it's pure LOVE. This is an amazing & addictive fragrance! 1 of my favorites.

What. Has. Happened?

I clearly remember this smelling dirty and a bit "ugly" on me. I wasn't convinced at all, since I felt there was something really off in the fragrance. Something... that smelt an awful lot like... well.. like a crotch. Ehurm.

But... now?

Now I'm convinced that there has been a reformulation, OR, more likely, that the tester bottle I sampled from had turned bad.

Because now, now it's like the most amazing thing on earth.

Me and my colleague started to discuss perfumes (as always) at work one day, and she mentioned "Ambre Gris" and that she was about to purchase a 100 ml bottle.

I was suprised, and started do discuss my experiences about this and that I did not care for it much.

Well, she couldn't have that, of course, so she actually brought the bottle to work a couple of days later and spritzed me down.

Oh boy. No more crotch. It was a lovely, salty, flowery, powdery, musky fog of amazigness. Cozy and warm. Like a sweater. A sexy sweater. It has a way of tricking the mind of thinking that this is the smell of YOU. Your skin. Your smell of sexy.

Instant buy.

Sniffing it on me now makes me wanna wrap my self in grease, doing an enfleurage on my self, Jean Baptiste Grenuille style, haha... Haa... ha. Just kidding.

No I'm not.

Lybarra118
Lybarra118

This is the most bizarrely beautiful creamy musky skin scent I've ever smelled. It really is like wearing a second skin, as odd as that sounds. Great longevity. This is also the only perfume I own that smells best on skin and not clothes.
That about sums it up.

Safira
Safira

Bought this as a blind buy due to my newly discovered love for Balmain perfumes. To me they're some of the most unique scents I have, and this baby is no different.

I'm actually a little torn about it - when I smell it up close I'm not really a fan, but if I smell it from just a tiny distance it's absolutely gorgeous. I can relate to the reviewer saying that it sort of smells 'natural', because it has this musky twang to it that's sort of undefinable.

The spicyness definetely has a masculine side to it, though I wouldn't say that this is unisex in any way. This scent is mystery in a bottle - and I'm sure it will invoke ambivalence in most people. I am, however, pretty sure I love it. :)

Mango Plantation
Mango Plantation

While I love the quality of the bottle and I like the quirky gold golf ball, I decanted into an atomizer with a bulb. It spreads the spray out very well, and it covers more of you, lightly. People honestly think it's the natural scent of YOU. absolutely LOVE it - find I am racing thru it when I don't really want to have a noticeable perfumed scent - but just want to smell good and softly of myself. Absolutely a masterfully done scent.

brynandoskarsmam
brynandoskarsmam

Wow, wow, wow! I absolutely love this....the initial smell is a strong amber and then it settles into a warm, sensual scent which makes me feel sexy and confident. Please Balmain - DON'T DISCONTINUE!!!!!!

Angela Agiannidou

I had to come back for this, as my initial review was based on merely the notes and less on what this frag evokes in me.This is one of the most alluring scents I had the fortune to possess! There is a depth to it, a balsamic intensity which comes from the combo of resins with the woody cinnamon, the musk is there present enough but not overpowering, enough to lend its carnal allure mixed with immortelle, making the wearer feel sexy. The depth from resins create a powerfull femme fatale, sophisticated and daring. This scent is a masterpiece!

Tiger84
Tiger84

For me a blind buy, based on some descriptions and reviews which guaranteed I'd fall in love, and it was at a bargain price for this quality, though I have to admit I normally don't spend a lot, I find and make very good deals.

I have several oriental scents and I love them a lot. Spice, sweetness, balsam, resins... this one has it all, but so many other orientals have it all too. What sets this one apart enough that it was worth to buy? What makes Ambre Gris so special?

Well, spray it on, wait for it... and you will feel it for yourself. The spicy warm brilliant powerful opening would be wonderful enough but it just serves as the bait for the heavenly buttery creamy drydown, embracing you into a balmy cloud. First you get the sweetness and the spices and later on a little buttery-salty accord, most part are so good you want to eat them!

Do yourself a favour and apply it to different areas on your body, hair and clothes so you can keep wafts of it for long hours. The otherwordly heavenly balmy scent it leaves on the clothes the next day, that is pure beauty. The whole perfume is amazing, but there are other creations, especially orientals which have similar qualities, but I'd never met a scent which would transform so magnificently. Like most great scents, works well on both genders. This stuff exudes class.

Teira
Teira

I didn't like this perfume initially... even wanted to give it away... Today (after having it for more than a year) sprayed just once and now can't stop snifing my wrists... :) How silly I was and thanks God I still have this precious gem. Guys, always give it another try before getting rid of some frags you think you don't like...

Angela Agiannidou

Oh,I love this. The opening blasts in full of spicy myrrh, tempered by amber with a slight smoke to it, and mellows down to soft benzoin,a touch of immortelle and guaiac wood,plenty of it.
This is a very unusual scent but very alluring and special, a unisex scent but not unfeminine. This scent has a soft sweetness to it but not cloying, it comes from the combo of myrrh and amber.
For all amber fans,as my self, this is a true gem!

ankali
ankali

It took me a while to decide, but I have tipped from bemusement into deep, deep, deep love. This scent is such a lovely journey, from the marine, almost masculine opening to the warm cinnamon and benzoin dry down (with the immortelle meandering through beautifully). It's got insane longevity on me, and modest sillage with 3-4 sprays -- enough for me to know it's there without having to bury my nose in my wrist, but not enough to get dirty looks at work. It's a very versatile scent with regard to venue: unique and sexy, but also tasteful and discreet. It's probably a bit heavy for summer wear, so thank God I live in a place where summer barely happens!

green_green_eyes
green_green_eyes

Warm, sophisticated, spicy scent with well-blended notes.
I bought it last Autumn as a comforter. In my opinion it doesn't smell as aphrodisiac, "naughty" kind of perfume at all. Pink pepper and immortele notes are quite loud. My first impression was "Ugh, so aldehydic and masculine". In the middle notes, however, it turns to pleasant, office-safe fragrance with spicy vanilla playing peek-a-boo. It stays close to your skin.

Unfortunately it didn't last on my skin long enough to be "the one". Passed this one on to my mum, who loves it and on her Ambre Gris reminds me of softer version of Samsara.

Definitely worth a try if you're into oriental fragrances, but wouldn't recommend as blind buy.

Kiki1972
Kiki1972

Just received this today and LOVE it! Very sensual and comforting at the same time. It reminds me of a lighter version of Gaultier 2? Even my husband loves it, so I would definitely say this could be unisex. One of my best blind buys for sure.

lovepie
lovepie

As much as I wanted to love this, it's not very sophisticated for me. I get the sensual ambery zing, and it is strong and long lasting on my skin, but too generic for a Balmain perfume, and not matching that wonderul bottle!

guest_luna rebel
guest_luna rebel

This opens up with the infamous sweet pink pepper note, but is unlike most fragrances containing it. I get light sweet spices, strong resins, and something a bit sweaty/animalic. This is not much of an amber fragrance to me, although according to Fragrantica, it contains this note.

If you like spicy animalic sweet and salty scents, then you may appreciate this scent. Personally, I like it but it can get a bit overwhelming sometimes. You probably need 3 sprays at the most, if not two. Not many perfumes have great longevity on me, but this lasts 10+ hours depending on the weather. The projection is strong at first, but fades to half strength within the first 5 hours (but make no mistake, it is still very noticeable despite this change).

On my skin, this is nearly identical from beginning to end. The only difference is that the pink pepper note fades and the spices get softer. I like this scent and will always have it in my collection because it is so unique and somehow pleasant, but I cannot find too many occasions to wear it. It is best suitable for cooler weather. If you wear it in warmer weather, it tends to cling a bit and feels too strong. Worn under proper conditions, however, this is a pleasant slightly sweet spicy oriental. The animalic element may vary depending on skin chemistry, but to me it is definitely a big part of the scent. Once again, this animalic note is not fecal or urinal in any way. If anything, it resembles clean sweat.

My overall rating of this perfume:

Projection: 10/10

rschmidt65
rschmidt65

This has to be the best perfume value out there. My first blind buy, I think I paid less than $20 for a new 100 ml tester. Which wouldn't matter except that this smells pretty darn fantastic, plush, salty and cinnamon with a bit of powder. Mmmm. My only complaint is that I am a bit chemically sensitive and this is definitely one that causes symptoms. If you don't have such problems and want a great perfume for next to nothing, you can't do better.
Edit: It does smell very much like my adored Samsara.

Iva Vendetta
Iva Vendetta

Oh, my. Was I ever in for a surprise.The best kind that you don't expect.
I bought this the minute I saw it available as I do love the perfume house.
Back in the 1970's, you could find Ambergris oil that smelt like heaven.
Then, you could not. This is just a truly sensual scent - the tuberose melts into the incense myrrh & cinnamon - the note I can't identify must be the "immortal flower" which is instant research this minute!
Everytime I wear it, I see the beach at sunset with all the sensuality inherent.
...now to take a walk outside and watch the sun fall into the ocean, wearing a cloak invisible.

Vanessa Dunlap
Vanessa Dunlap

Love at first sniff! The reviews here are superb, and I don't think I could add much to them except to say that I think this has just enough masculinity in it to actually make this a unisex fragrance (it seems to be categorized here as for women). I think Ambre Gris would lovingly embrace anyone who wants to wear it. Warm, cozy and comforting, yet light enough to wear it on a hot humid day. I am not skilled enough yet to pick out what I smell, but it is ambery with a tiny saltiness to it and a soft muskiness that makes it light and snuggly. I didn't smell the other notes. It is very comforting for me, it reminds me of how your young child smells after having a bath and she snuggles next to you waiting for you to read her a bedtime story; it has that touch of realness and beauty to it. I don't care how "synthetic" this is (I ordered it from Amazon for only $35 USD), this is gorgeous! I think if I were to smell a man wearing this, my knees would buckle! I have been hoping to find a fragrance like this (warm, quiet, amber, sweet, cozy). I agree, please be careful when applying this, do not overspray! Beautiful! Thank you all for your reviews, this one is a gem!

nikoleta1

Wearing this today, such a great complex light sweet and lasting perfume. Great for summer especially. So inexpensive, but smells very high end. Highly recommended.

darksome

When my task would be to describe Ambre Gris to a person who knows nothing about scents I would say: airy, not too sweet narcissus with waxy baby powder. Somehow it remembers me on glass (if glass would have a smell) - fragile and pure, airy. So easy, still so complex and smelling more expensive than it is. Unisex.

Bloodlust
Bloodlust

This is one of the few fragrances that a sales associate successfully recommended for me. She looked at me and said, "This is what I'd imagine you to smell like". And it clicked! I went back next paycheck to grab it.

This fragrance is something I'd consider more on the masculine side, for a female. There are no floral notes, no sweetness, nothing remotely gourmand about it - it's just a very neutral, comforting, subtle gorgeous scent that clings pretty close to the skin (most days. In certain weather, BABOOM!), and lasts for a very long time.

The initial blast is reminiscent of an expensive spicy men's aftershave, and the heart and dry-down on the fragrance smell like "static cling" from clean clothes in the dryer. There is no other way for me to describe the scent of this - It's simple, pleasant, and though it sounds unexciting, I've never smelled a fragrance like this before! Other words that spring to mind are "silky, warm, cozy, snuggly, billowy, rich, feather-like, and alluring".

This has actually replaced and became my signature scent - it's become "my smell". I feel it can suit any day, any weather, any event, any mood. It makes me feel safe, and comforted, and calm. In love with this fragrance.

Fragrantlife
Fragrantlife

I tried to like it, but this is not happening for me. I don't smell any ambergris. Or any other notes. It's pure synthetic amber/powdery/sweet smell. Hubby does not object to it (hmm, as in, he actually thinks it is sexy), but I find it on the verge of repulsive. Certainly, this is the first time there is a perfume he likes that I do not care for at all. So be warned, male and females may disagree on this one.

amy1983
amy1983

The bottle may have a fancy gold cap,but I find this to be weak cinnamon water. There doesn't seem to be anything else going on. It's flat,and has no warmth at all. I don't smell the amber or myrrh. It's as if the other notes don't even exist. It kind of smells like something somebody sneezed out. This just doesn't seem to work on me.

courant
courant

For what it's worth I was curious about this fragrance and so I applied some on fragrance -free skin at the Nieman Marcus store. I browsed a while and stopped at the Tom Ford counter. "What is that gorgeous fragrance.?" asked the gentleman there. I had to think back. He was surprised. With his training he identified the saltiness of it and said he was impressed by its unique character.

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

A well constructed fragrance that I am pleased to have sampled.

On the second testing, I finally realized that Ambre Gris was actually going sour on my skin..... a not uncommon occurence. So I am basing my enthusiastic opinion on the first few moments, before my skin killed this otherwise wonderful scent!

The bottle is worth mention. I don't normally purchase fragrances based on the appearance of a bottle, but Ambre Gris would be a sore temptation. This is a seriously attractive, hefty bottle with more dignity and good breeding than most recent releases. If you want something for display that simply radiates quality, look no further. Impressive.

There is no doubt in my mind that Ambre Gris will make a fine addition to many a collection. For women AND men. Good job, Balmain!

RedHeartSunglasses
RedHeartSunglasses

There is so much hot debate as to what notes are included or discluded in Amber Gris. I think this is possibly one of the most frustratingly incorrect and misleading notes pages on Fragrantica.

Straight from Balmain's website:
Top notes: Pink BERRIES, sage
Heart notes: Tuberose, frangipani, myrrh essence, incense
Base notes: Grey amber infusion [so yes, AMBERGRIS, NOT AMBER], benzoin, tonka beans, cedarwood

On me, Amber Gris is indeed very sweet and creamy and smoothly animalic. I'd never know there was benzoin if I didn't read the notes list, usually benzoin has at least something of a "texture" to it. I'd like it to project a bit father, but it lasts easily 6 to 7 hours on me. The berries, frangipani, and tuberose all play off each other so perfectly, the sage gives the sweetness an interesting herbal balance, and the myrrh brings with it a balmy brightness which plays up the marine flavors of the ambergris.

polly golightly
polly golightly

ambra più benzoino, cannella, un tocco di pepe rosa e qualche leggero accento floreale. un orientale leggero e caldo ECCELLENTE!

Petticoats
Petticoats

This is a new favorite. I usually gravitate toward big sexy spicy orientals, but I don't feel like they're always appropriate for work and other everyday events, so Ambre Gris is a perfect solution. It's elegant, sexy, and feminine, but not overpowering or brash. It's understated enough to wear to the office but doesn't make me feel boring, stuffy, or unfeminine. I do wish it had more throw and longevity on me--or that it came in other forms so that I could layer it--but every time I catch a whiff of it I feel happy. It's a classic beauty and my new go-to.

Okay, lets do this!

*spritz*

Let it simmer a bit.. Let it dry down yes...

*sniff* - Ooh... nooo...
*sniff* - No.
*sniff* - Defenetly not. Too dirty.
*sniff* - Or... actually! ... No.
*sniff* - WAIT! ... No... no...
*sniff* - OH YES! YES!.... No....
*sniff* - Oh why is it so hard to.. THERE IT IS! No..
*sniff* - Goddamit.
*sniff* - Hey, now it's pretty goo...ooh.. No.
*sniff* - Ok no. Or? Maybe? Maybe just a little? Ok.
*sniff* - Ok definitly not a no. But not a yes either.
*sniff* - Back to no.
*sniff* - Back to maybe.

Repeat until infinity.

Edee
Edee

You ladies whose body chemistry doesn't agree with this, I can only say."I am so,so sorry." This stuff is straight up ambrosia. It lures you in with that sweet vanilla nectar, then strokes you with that cinnamon and pepper, like a lover. Then that amber comes in an lays you to rest and you have been conquered. Yeah, ladies, it is that good. I am ordering another bottle. This is a gorgeous perfume. Oooooooh, give me some more.

Augustarina
Augustarina

I liked the sweetness I was hit with in the first 10 minutes, but after that, it turned on me and became cheap and buttery, smelling like hundreds of other very common fragrances. I'm not sure which of the components was the culprit, but whatever it was did not like my skin chemistry at all.

pravda48
pravda48

On me this is at first nothing but heavy and musty, with a gritty, dirty animalic undertone. But then... oh I'm warming up to it, little by little. Here comes lots of warm spices and sweet/warm pink pepper. LOTS of it. That sweetness + vanilla/spice + SALT is something I can't decide if I'm grossed out by or want more of. It's like a trainwreck, and I'm morbidly enthralled. Actually it's more like just like a lot of salt and I can't decide whether it's sexy as hell (think: real hard workout sweat) or outright briny.

Drama aside this scent is hard to pin down for me just yet. At times I sniff nearer my wrist and it almost smells (wonderfully) like Dr. Pepper. At other times it's alllll salt & vanilla resins & spice and I flee again from it, only to be drawn back by an enticing waft some minutes later...

UPDATE: Have swapped for a bottle of my own. What can I say? I found myself craving its weird dirty-warm enticement again. Oh well *shrug*, if you can't beat em.... Also you really must give this one time to warm up/wear in before sniffing. In fact, sniffing up close really isn't necessary. It's very strong and long lasting.

A decent amount of time into wearing (an hour or so), it does, in fact, remind me of Dr. Pepper. Lol... and I love that smell!

I'm very interested to hear a non-perfumist's first impression of this one.

Hellita
Hellita

I tried Ambre Gris on my wrist this weekend because I've been curious about this "sensual" scent lately. It was awful on me :( I made my friend smell my wrist and she totally agreed - it's horrid. Guess I don't have the right chemistry for it. Just wanted to warn you if you're considering a blind buy for this one. Please have a sniff of it first before buying it (if possible) or else you might wind up disappointed!

Very oriental fragrance, warm and comforting, but not overwhelming as many orient ones.
At first it was quite sharp, I could not bear it, but this sensation lasted only few minutes. After that short period of time, fragrance softened on my skin and became really interesting. Strong, but not too heavy or tiring. I would say, there is a lot of harmony in this fragrance. For oriental perfume lovers, I think it is 'a must have'.
And look at the cap! In reality, it is even more beautiful.

jana.hullinghorst
jana.hullinghorst

This one is special. I predict that it becomes a modern classic. It's easy to wear, casual, inexpensive, unoffensive, warm and cozy. Amber Gris is a perfect winter signature.

On my skin Ambre Gris starts spicy and slowly turns down to a soft scent with an airy sweetnes around me. Beautiful. I love the amber, cinnamon, musk, benzoin, myrrh, pinkpepper, tuberouse-mix. A scent for a grown-up girl. Longlasting om my skin. Worth trying and worth the cost, I think. After using Ambre Gris a few days it turns a bit male'ish on me.

På min hud startar Ambre Gris lite kryddigt som sakta mjuknar till en superfin doft men en lätt luftig sötma. Superfin. Jag älskar amber, kanel, musk, benzoin, myrra, peppar och tuberose-mixen. En doft för den fullvuxna tjejen. Håller länge på min hud. Värd att prova och värd priset, tycker jag.
Efter att ha använt Ambre Gris några dagar så märker jag att den drar åt det manliga hållet på min hud, tyvärr..

lanuitblanche
lanuitblanche

Very very beautiful.... And very anonymous.

It's not forgettable, but for some reason, when I stop wearing it for a little while, I really can't remember what it smelled like. When I do put it on again, I get a "oh... that's right, you're beautiful... but who are you??", but without the intrigue or mystery.

It leaves me with a strong impression of how it made me feel, and how much I enjoyed it, but don't remember the specifics, much like a dream keeps slipping away the more you try to remember it. So I don't crave it, and eventually forget about it. Until I chance upon it on my shelves again.

As all the reviewers said, it is slightly sweet, slightly spicy, cozy, comforting, comfortable, beautiful even... And I love it... But it doesn't speak to me.

moskie
moskie

I received this as a sample when I purchased TF Noir de Noir. Came to Fragrantica to check the notes and based on what I read and generally being a fan of orientals I tried it. Well definitely not for me.

I agree with orchid 84-all I get from this is soap and not a pleasant soapy smell but one I want to immedietly wash off. I get a cloying sweetness and I honestly cant tell which note I find burning my nostrils. I love benzoin, tuberose, immortelle and ambergris. Maybe the myrrh is offending me? Surprised by so many positive reviews about a fragrance whose notes are all generally well liked by me but this composition is completely not for me at all and my skin chemistry.

Adding: 2 hours later this scent has transformed. I did not wash it off and now I am smelling the warm, sensual ambergris, tuberose, immortelle that I know and love. It must the the sage in the top notes that I find so offensive. Not worth disliking the 1st 2 hours though but the drydown is lovely

jenno2007
jenno2007

Thanks for helping me with the blind buy, Fragrantica! I adore this scent and the staying power is really decent. I won't attempt the sophistication other reviewers well-versed in well, how ambergris should smell. It's definitely a skin scent, a little sexy but too subtle to raise any eyebrows in an office setting. Just what I was looking for. There's something of a tang to it as well, not exactly sour or like perspiration, just something I can't put my finger on. It comes off your body in waves like finely-milled soap. This is the fragrance I've tried and instantly known I wouldn't feel "dressed" without it. It's like my No. 5.

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

A rather dry-ish, very lightly spicy/peppery opening. As this develops, a powdery note becomes more prominent, and eventually (has excellent longevity) the spice is gone, the powder remains. It is a comfortable and comforting fragrance, with light silage despite it's lasting power. There is a gourmand-caramel note, slight but detectable, but it remains more of a spicy-dry-powder than anything, and, while feminine, could certain be worn by a man.

400blows
400blows

I love this; liked it instantly, though that was to a great extent because it seemed so familiar. I thought I'd managed to narrow the possibilities down to Samsara and/or Basi Femme, but now I think it might be the eponymous Boucheron. You work with what you've got.

The thing I love the most about it is that despite the for me cosy, sweet, somewhat posh feel of this, the final evocation is for me that of a remote south [next stop, Antarctica] coast, somewhere in the rocky, bepooled littoral zone, tide far out, with that tough, grapey brown seaweed extending as far as the eye can see. On a strangely still, sunny day to dry the driftwood. Solitude, space, wild ocean.

One day I'll go back and try it again without Flowerbomb's fruitier [as Theorema is fruity, like dried cloved oranges] contrast further up the same arm.

It doesn't seem very complicated. Woody, salty, not too soft. Just great.

I am yearning for that dream southern ocean coast in a bottle. Got chills reading a review further down that explains all the imagery that was evoked, right down to sun-dried driftwood. Must get, and also try those that others say are similar but 'bigger'.

Next day;
I have just read on another site someone's perception that Laguna is a variant of Ambre Gris. That means that in this reviewer's perception the converse must apply. Anyway for me it's a case of Bingo! or Eureka! or some other triumphantly joyful term. Because Laguna is my fave of all time. I can't see the similarity apart from the ocean evocations which I don't think is particular enough to have been that reviewer's perceived common ground. But it may well be there, because I fell for Ambre Gris very fast, and I think it will be a lasting thing.

Srebecca
Srebecca

Sexiest perfume out there. Dark and yummy. Cozy. I am obsessed with this. I don't get as many compliments as I should but it's okay. For me, it's perfect.

Is Balmain Ambre Gris an amber or ambergris fragrance? Maybe a little of both?
Ambre Gris is sweetly resinous but also slightly salty and oily. The sweetness may very well be coming from a combination of immortelle (maple syrup) and benzoin (vanilla), but I'm not going to tax myself too much trying to figure it out. In the end this is a fragrance amber lovers will enjoy.
A warm, spicy Oriental that is fairly easy to wear and could be considered a unisex.

nikoleta1

Very beautiful floral with powdery drydown, with just a touch of sweetness, light and lasting, classic, must have.
Very easy to ware, not offending to complaining coworkers)))

ro_ro_123
ro_ro_123

I know judging a perfume by its flacon is a bit like judging a book by its cover, but WOW! What a stunning bottle, the bottle is exactly what initially drove me to try out this wonderful fragrance.

I'm a male and wear this very well I believe, some say its very feminine but I wear my fragrances based on smell and quality as opposed to gender.

This fragrance is not a show off. It knows it smells amazing, but it doesn't need to shout it from the roof tops. I believe this can be worn day or night, all year round.

Some say it is somewhat linear but I find it absolutely beautiful, it sits so nicely on my skin and seems to compliment your own personal smell. It is becoming a hugely popular perfume, (on back order at Luckyscent), and it is not hard to see why.

perfumeaddiction

I want to thank you all for the reviews as it prompted me to purchase this. What a great lovely scent for the upcoming cold weather. Let me first start by saying my initial impression before the spray hit my skin was oh God I made a big mistake. But no sooner then it hit my wrist and as I sit here and it continues to transform I am loving it. I think most of the reviews are accurate. It is a warm, spicey lovely scent. No florals here so if your a flower person don't get this one. If you enjoy warm cozy scents this is for you. I could see this one being unisex but it is not masculine. The bottle is very fitting for the lovely juice within.

I wanted to UPDATE approx. 7 hours later that I can still strongly smell this lovely scent on me. The lasting power is absolutely better then ANYTHING in my current collection. This stuff is just really good and long lasting. The hubby loves it too. For the mere price r $30 I don't think there is anything else out there that can out do this in lasting power.

mruf1
mruf1

I really like this fragrance. I was gifted a lovely sample from a generous fragrant fairy godmother. I had no idea what it would smell like, but it is a damp fall morning and I have a spice colored soft suede jacket on, and it just seemed like an amber scent would be a good choice. It definitely was. It's not as loud as I thought it might be, but just nice,warm,cuddly, slightly sexy and perfect, even in an office environment. I may have to find a larger decant of this, I like it so much.

Museumgal
Museumgal

A bit medicinal at first but then it's a warm, balmy amber scent with a touch of the other resins. It's not too sweet so you could wear it in professional situations, but it's definitely sweet enough to be cozy. Lasted all work day on me. Very classic smelling, just a bit spicy.

Abendlicht
Abendlicht

Oh.. This is beautiful. Subtle... I didn't know what to expect reading all the different reviews and descriptions. I love the woody aspect of it... It's not sweet to me. Ambery balmy woody. Do have carbone that my husband loves to wear... The woody note in it reminds me of it... But instead of incense it's amber. It's a really free description because I'm not good at verbalizing notes... I just smell. :) this is going to be a nice comfortable smell for autumn.

Agia77
Agia77

Reminds me of the smell Massimo Dutti shop.

bettybluebell
bettybluebell

Ambre Gris is a very close to the skin scent with a super mellow amber aura. It is a little sweet but barely so, a little spicy but only a brief encounter, and the musk is only a subtle undercurrent. The drydown doesn't change a lot for me, only getting more and more mysterious and becoming a filmy veil on the skin. I think this is truly a unisex perfume, if not on the masculine side. I know "comparisons are odious" but I do get a feeling of Tocca Colette. Also, I generally avoid using the word, but Ambre Gris is s.e.x.y.

muskymoi
muskymoi

Ambre Gris is not a center-of-attention perfume. It doesn't run into a room shouting "Hey, everyone, look at me, love me adore me." Ambre Gris is the wallflower scent that lingers in the memory long after the loud center-of-attention perfume is found drunk under a table with her lipstick smeared across her cheek, and her attention-grabbing top notes have long dissipated.

And the name is a play on words. There's no ambergris in this. It's two words (in french): amber and gray, as if to describe a toned down amber. Not ambergris (as in whale vomit).

Mirabele

It is an ok one. I expected to like it, but that didn’t happen. No hard feelings this time.
It started much sweeter than I would expect from a grey bottle and from a fragrance by so many described as unisex. It smells kind of pale pink to me and on my skin it is not unisex at all. Don’t take me wrong, it is not so sweet as most of the fragrances on market, but it is still too sweet for my taste. Being said that, I understand why so many like it. It is quite an interesting fragrance and not a generic one. I would say it may be very wearable and may be easy to like fragrance. Very non-offensive and not loud. Perfect for office, weekends, lunch with friends or just lazy days at home. Very cozy. May be a good alternative on those days when you don’t know what to wear.
For some time I thought, oh, I quite like it, it smells quite good on me. Then it hit me: it would be so wrong, it smells like some other woman spritzed her fragrance on me. I may consider giving it another chance someday, but I believe the musk here is the wrong one for me.

EDIT: a year later i changed my mind about this one. i actually bought a full bottle and have been using it a lot. read my new review about how i find it weird and like it alot.

zucchera
zucchera

I have been curious on Ambre Gris for a while, in my mind it was a long lasting sweet woody amber scent so I ordered a rather big and expensive sample from The perfumed Court. I was ready to order te perfume in blind reading the Reviews, am I glad I didnt.

I have using this one for 5-6 days and I have cheaper perfumes that last longer on me than this do, for example 21 from Costume National.

The dry down is poor and after 1-2 hours I cant smell anything on me and neither can others. There is no pepper, no cinnamon and no amber, just a little bit of Woody scent that dissapears quickly.

Jola 72

Closest to Laguna Maravilla ,just this one in summer version ,more fresh herbalike drydown Ambre Gris dryes down to warm salty amber Delicious...Own both of them and love

aphexacid
aphexacid

Quite possibly the most boring perfume in existance.

To me, this smells almost identical to Prada Amber Pour Homme. Not as lively as the Prada, but it has that bubble gum amber sweetness.

Thank goodness it was dirt cheap. It has a very nice bottle, and great longevity. Better than Prada thats for sure.

advabart

Come on, people, where do you get the immortelle, cinnamon or amber from??? The brand site does not mention any of these notes!!! Nor can I detect even a hint of them myself, however hard I've tried.
I do smell sage, though. Bitter, tart sage. Sure enough, it is "officially" there, according to the manufacturer. Also, I wonder how ambergris can be mistaken for amber. Where the hell is the cozy sweetness of this composition everyone is raving about? To me, it's salty grey amber all round, with just a tiny bit of sweet undertone (probably the benzoin) in the dry-down.

RugosaAlba

Just posted a review as a guest here right under.
Let me correct the typos and repost it.
Apart from unfair comparisons to louder fragrances, let me just concentrate on fragrance itself.
I think, Balmain Ambre Gris could be a very nice choice for those who do not like citruses (too sharp), do not like chypre (too sharp), do not like green grass fragrances (too synthetic), do not like overpowering florals, too much wood and patchouli.

Also it's a choice for those who prefer good quality, more natural smelling fragrances.

Hard to categorize Ambre Gris: to call it oriental floral would be a stretch, to call it pseudo-amber fragrance would be...
When in state of euphemism, I think that the nose behind this fragrance tried to create the feeling(smell) of Ambre Gris without ever using one.
And this is where his(her) sense of humor shines.
It was interesting and clever choice to work around the immortelle flower note.
Jam sweet and slightly smoky in a peculiar way, warm and generous, aromatic and even heady floral facet:
immortelle is a rich ingredient, it's a fragrance on it's own, just like amber. All other ingredients in Ambre Gris seem to enhance facets of Immortelle.
Myrth, cinnamon and pepper enhance immortelle's smokiness, tuberose enhance green and creamy floral facets, tuberose and cinnamon easily add to innocent dirtiness of immortelle and together mimicking (teasing) the dirty facet of ambre gris. Guaiac wood, perhaps adds to butteriness, nuttiness and longevity of the fragrance.
Add some bensoin and musk:
voila, Ambre Gris, in a jovial sense.
My skin test: applied on a clean arm right after shower before going to bed. It's mostly softly about immortelle, sexed up with the tuberose. The behavior on skin is very similar to Houbigants:Orangers en Fleurs original or Quelques Fleurs Royale, very close to skin and to distinguish it's beauty and to know what it's about you need to really smell and re-smell your skin. I am not saying, that smell of houbigants is similar to Ambre Gris, but the behavior is. The only regret, that next morning after I applied Ambre Gris, slightly dirty musk was all that left on my arm and I do not really like musk or cinnamon on skin.
So, I do like the beginning and development, do not care about the ending of this fragrance on my skin.
Of all fragrances it smells similar to Chanel #5 Eau Premiere and Diptyque Volutes EDP on the drydown, although there is more musk in Ambre Gris and it is almost impossible to discern separate notes.
I think, Ambre Gris is rather unique and the best medium to apply it and to observe the development is something layered, fibrous, such as clothes.
On clothes there is certain note(can not describe it, but cinnamon is involved) separates from the creamy base, that note seems unique and nice, keeps it interesting.

Otherwise, somewhat like.

I think, Balmain Ambres Gris could be a very nice choice for those who do not like citruses(too sharp), do not like shypre(too sharp), do not like green grass fragrances(too synthetic), do not like overpowering florals, too much wood and patchouli.

Also it's a choice for those who prefer good quility, more natural smelling fragrances.

And this is where his(her) sense of humour shines.
It was interesting and clever choice to work around the immortelle flower note.
Myrth, cinnamon and pepper enhance immortelle's smockiness, tuberose enhance green and creamy floral facets, tuberose and cinnamon easily add to innocent dirtiness of immortelle and together mimicking (teasing) the dirty facet of amber gris. Guiaic wood, perhaps adds to butteriness, nuttiness and longevity of the fragrance.
Add some bensoin and musk:
voila, Ambre Gris, in a jovial sense.
My skin test: applied on a clean arm right after shower before going to bed. It's mostly softly about immortelle, sexed up with the tuberose. The behaviour on skin is very similar to Houbigants:Orangers en Fleurs original or Quelques Fleurs Royale, very close to skin and to distinguish it's beauty and to know what it's about you need to really smell and resmell your skin. I am not saying, that smell of houbigants is similar to Ambre Gris, but the behaviour is.
Donna Karan's Cashmere Mistis somewhat similar smelling and behaving on skin.
So, I do like the beginning and development, do not care about the ending of this fragrance.
Otherwise, strong like.

RugosaAlba

If I would test the Balmain’s Ambre Gris alone I would be praising it highly as polite, tasteful, not loud, not chemical smelling, well harmonized, not complex and not complicated to wear, nice and rich in amber, soft.
But I had freshly sprayed cards with 6 Nasomatto fragrances and 4 Boadicea de Victorious fragrances on the same counter and re-smelled these cards in duration of 3 days at least.
Even after re-spraying Ambre Gris, I just could not notice this “understated” fragrance among Nasomattos and Boadiceas, puffing at me unapologetically with amber, patchouli, pepper, incense and what not.
It’s like comparing me and Angelina Jolie. Hello! Politically correct little grey mouse and the girl of “osez moi” type, who bathes in the lime light. In this respect Gris(grey) is very much appropriate for Ambre Gris. Perhaps, it’s unfair to Ambre Gris, since I would not be happy at side to side comparison with Angelina either.
I would expect the name Ambre Gris would imply that the full amber (including it’s fecal aspect) is used here. Ironically, the Alluring from Boadicea smelled so much more compelling and so much more what I would expect Ambre Gris(as raw material) to smell. In fact , most of fragrances that I have with amber just simply very pale in comparison with Nasomattos and Boadiceas.
On the other hand, there is nothing that repels me in little Ambre Gris. It’s full of virtues of it’s own and if someone decides to gift me with it, I will probably, use it more often than some of the Nasomattos and definitely, most of Boadicea’s, to stay unnoticeable and ”politically correct “ as always.

orchid_84
orchid_84

Despite the many glowing reviews this fragrance receives, Ambre Gris is unfortunately a dud on my skin. As a major amber enthusiast who also loves cinnamon and immortelle, I truly expected I would enjoy this. Having tried it several times now, I am quite sure that it's not for me.

Surprisingly, I don’t smell amber, benzoin, myrrh, immortelle or cinnamon at all. What I do smell is a lot of soap…that’s it, from top to bottom. I would have had no idea this was an amber fragrance if not for the name and notes. It’s not an especially synthetic or cloying soap smell, but it’s still soap…which is not how I like my fragrances to smell. It is reasonably pleasant - I’ll give it that - but overall Ambre Gris comes out cold, clinical, and one-dimensional on my skin. It’s a definite pass for me.

EDIT: I see this has been voted as similar to L'Occitane Amber and Yves Rocher Voile d'Ambre, two fragrances I absolutely adore. I find nothing about those two scents to be even remotely similar to the way that PB Ambre Gris smells.

dbrii24
dbrii24

Truly gorgeous!!! This is one of my favorites and one of the strong holy grail contenders in my collection. Ambre Gris is an absolute treasure. This is a must have for those who love amber, myrrh and cinnamon, but also tuberose lovers as well. With Ambre Gris you're treated to a delicious oriental; a sophisticated and regal fragrance. Semi-sweet, semi-spicy, salty and luxurious. It's reminiscent of a cashmere blanket; cozy, sensual and rich. I have a 3.3 oz bottle and I also have a backup bottle. It's that serious. lol When I put my nose to my wrist I instantly think of gold and the wealth is symbolizes... that's Ambre Gris.

alchemist1976stephanie
alchemist1976stephanie

I bought this blind based on the reviews and am thrilled to say it did not dissapoint! I couldn't be happier! This is indeed a treasure! First, I just need to say that the bottle is very opulent looking and the sprayer is the best I've ever had! The juice is phenomenal! I envisioned it being a bit warmer based on the notes, but the pink pepper opening is light and almost fresh! It does remind me of something I can't put my finger on. The warmth of the spices and slight sweetness round out the fragrance leaving only a smooth complex and changing fragrant journey that is very pleasant from start to finish.

I get a fair bit of musk and creaminess that reminds me very much of Jaipur Saphir ( which I used to wear the crap out of, I loved it so much!)in the drydown. I think this is far more refined and well calibrated though. It stays close to the body, but I kept catching whiffs of the sillage in various stages of the development. It lasts easily 12 hours+ on my skin.
All in all, a very comforting, cashmere wrapped type of scent, great for cooler weather, this is one I will be wearing a LOT of in the fall/winter! Great value for a very expensive smelling, high quality fragrance.

Roge'
Roge'

Interesting. Quite a few reviews for this fragrance. If you ask me, I think the abundance of reviews rides a thin line between product accessibility and quality. I don't find this to be super duper special. I agree with Joliecat. This is definitely a oriental for beginners. This is your typical amber with all of the department store bells and whistles. Certainly not versatile enough to be a blind buy. On the other hand, this is more unisex than what most people think. What's the definition of soft? When I think soft, something like Santal Blush or Chantecaille Kalimantan comes to mind definitely not Amber Gris. If you take the emotion out of it and add some perspective, you will discover the mediocrity. On another note: This easily surpassed the 10+ hour mark.

joliecat
joliecat

Amber Gris is a nice, not too sweet, very soft, very lightly spicy scent. Suitable in any climate, year round. Great for the office, or anywhere, as it is non offensive, with moderate silage.

Great oriental for beginners, since it's not too complex or heavy. Perfectly unisex, long lasting.

Amber Gris is VERY different from most ambers. Unlike warm, sweet brown ambers, Amber Gris is dry, very lightly gently sweetened, and quite salty.

Is it beachy ? Yes, salty, but no fishy smell at all. Is it sexy ? Yes, like a mermaid is sexy...aloof, unreachable, enticing, unique, exotic, a siren.
Amber Gris is only slightly warm, like an ocean breeze, early on a summer morning.

Amber Gris is very classy, smells like a unique high end expensive fragrance, but sells for a wonderfully low affordable price.

Unobtrusive, Amber Gris is also great for layering, to tone down sweetness in other fragrances and make them last longer. I LOVE Amber Gris !

Floreat
Floreat

I absolutely love this fragrance. Because of it, I understand why people have a signature scent. For me, it provides a feeling of safeness and security. It's as if nothing can be amiss while enveloped in its warm and protective embrace. If something were to dare go awry, the creamy benzoin and sacred myrrh act like a balm to soothe the slight.

I feel like I emanate both strength and peace while wearing this. Yet there is an invitation of sensuality in its sweet and salty undercurrents. The amber acts as an underwriter of acceptance. If I were Ambre Gris, I'd make the sea my shrine, the hearth my home and pleasure would be my intimate familiar.

I can't get enough of it - anytime, anyplace, any season. I'd become it if I could. Needless to say, it is a presiding and permanent resident in my perfume pantry.

temporal
temporal

Thanks everyone for your comments on this fabulous fragrance, as they inspired me to search for Ambre Gris, despite i'm not into oriental perfumes. It was worth searching.

Oriental fragrances usually appear to be too heavy for ash blondes' pale skin. But this well-balanced and long-lasting fragrance is smooth and light, while each phase of its developing is well-articulated and intensive.

As many commentators have already noted, Ambre Gris is comfortable, warm, lightly spicy and lightly sweet. It's good both for socializing and for a private aromatherapy :) And it comes in a well-crafted bottle. A delightful acquisition to the fragrance collection.

p.s. I agree with Jht4060 that Ambre Gris could become a smooth male fragrance too - if the sweet note in it will interact well with the skin.

daisyM
daisyM

Advabart, that's very interesting. Still I'm surprised that there is no gaiac wood in the "official" notes, since I can smell it very clearly.

advabart

Not once did I wonder where fragrantica gets its lists of notes. This is not the first time I've found discrepancies between the listed notes on top of the page, and those stated by the official brand site.

Here is, for example, the pyramid of notes, as they appear on Balmain website:

Head notes
Pink Berries, Sage

Heart notes
Tuberose, Frangipani, Myrrh Essence, Incense

Base notes
Grey Amber Infusion, Benzoin, Tonka Beans, Cedarwood

So, where does the truth lie?

jht4060
jht4060

There is something subtly seductive about Balmain Ambre Gris. I think it must be the ambergris (or rather its synthetic reconstruction), which is one of the few individual odorants that I don't own, so I can't be sure I am picking it out correctly. Well, if fine authentic ambergris smells like this but better, then I finally understand what all the talk is about. It is a fairly subtle skin scent, with the following associations to me, in order of prominence: cool amber, salt, skin, sandalwood, sex, earth, sweet. Surely some of the fascination with ambergris stems from the preposterous fact that it is sperm whale bile secretions used to coat giant squid beaks and passed in their feces (probably not in vomit, as is often stated) that has floated in the ocean for 20 years and looks like a rock, but it would appear that some of the fascination is indeed the scent.

To my nose Balmain Ambre Gris is completely unisex; in fact I increasingly wonder how many male-appropriate scents lurk in the vast and confusing arena of women's perfumes. Since the women's perfume market is so much larger than the men's, I suspect that a lot of perfumes are labeled feminine without much thought (payback for the bad old days when cars were marketed only to men, vanity mirrors on the passenger side only please!). All I can rule out for now (for my preferences, mind you) are those that are mostly rose or overwhelmingly bright floral.

I often like my scents bigger than this, but Ambre Gris has captivated me - I am ready to do your bidding mistress. Tell me where to lie.

cleopatrasboudoir
cleopatrasboudoir

I love to spray this on before I go to bed. It is such a relaxing, sensual perfume. I adore the bottle design!

supergirl83221
supergirl83221

My perfect amber fall scent. Soft, comfty, smooth... That feeling you get when you wrap yourself with a very soft, luxury cashmere blanket on a gray, chilly November evening.

Jola 72

I,ve become addicted to this scent and more and more falling in love with it The perfect smell of my skin The perfect fragrance to me All over the year Just smiling sniffing my self My secret
Pure Essential of Innocence and Passion Pure Love for me

Lala2013
Lala2013

While there is a beauty to this scent,I love amber scents,I would most certainly describe it as a skin scent.Perhaps it is my chemistry,but it has no silage whatsoever...sadly I have to sniff my wrists quite hard to get anything which disappointed me.
Some people say it has a masculine edge, while I don't find that, I think that the metallic edge it has causes it to be very neutral, it has no sweetness yet it is warm.Somewhat of a flat perfume, it doesnt take me anywhere in its development,,in truth, this was a blind buy that did not excite me,Top marks for the Art Deco bottle though.

SHERIF SAYED
SHERIF SAYED

Caldo, bellissima, accogliente e il profumo del bel tempo caduta poco prima che il freddo si regola dentro Pensate caldo autunno d'oro e foglie terrose, con un tocco di tristezza nell'aria.

Sandra2
Sandra2

I did'n know that two perfumes could be so similar like Balmain's Ambre Gris and Jill Sander's Sensations. Ten years ago i bought Sensations and it has been my signature scent for a very long time. Today, after a blind order (which I made because of the beautiful notes listed here), Ambre Gris has come, and I almost couldn't believe how similar those two are. I don't regret because I love them both.

cocomarie
cocomarie

I am a newbie to the fragrantica world...and the perfume world! I've always just stuck with what I know, but I've begun a quest for a new scent. I don't know much about notes...when I smell fragrances, my mind tells stories.
For Ambre Gris, it is a crisp fall day and I'm wearing a warm snuggly orange sweater, taking my dog for a walk by the lake. All feels right with the world and I feel very content. Smiles at random strangers and a nod at the cute guy with the friendly lab caps off this walk. Then, it's off to home for a classic novel and glass of wine in front of the fire.
I've seen others describe this fragrance as "snuggly". It's an apt word for this lovely perfume. I will be stashing this away to wear when I need some snuggly-ness :)

Jola 72

My signature From now Love It is sooo me Not overwhelming me but just closest and best friend to me I can trust Nice in combination with other smells I own Just incredible Regards from Sweden

Jerine123
Jerine123

This scent is autumn in a bottle. It is warm, creamy and absolutely beautiful. The amber, tuberose and myrrh blend together so well that it will take you back to a beautiful fall afternoon. Warm, gorgeous, cozy and the smell of the beautiful fall weather just before the chill sets in. Think warm golden fall and earthy leaves with a touch of sadness in the air. Beautiful and well done!

AngieGCarp
AngieGCarp

Delicious, warm, abstract...a fine piece of art you can wear on your skin. First of all, I am a pepper lover and it loves my skin so I am very pleased. There is just a certain "heat" emanating from this perfume. Almost like an EXPENSIVE incense lit and smoldering soft and slow. This is just another offering from Balmain that is top notch. 100% class.

Happy Perfuming! ♥

MissTee
MissTee

Warm, subtle, puts me in mind of a thick, camel-coloured cotton coverlet. While wearing this scent, I feel cared-for and enveloped in a "don't you worry about anything" kind of love. The myrrh is what I notice most adding to this feeling, there's not so much floral which is a good thing with this particular scent. It is grown-up but without the strict responsiblities of being a little older, a little wiser. Soft and very agreeable for both day and night. I was pleasantly surprised because I was wondering how the unisex ability would end up on my female skin, but it works nicely.

ninelives97
ninelives97

I thought I would love this. I put it on and was hit with pink pepper and got excited about where this smell would go, with that spice and amber. On me, amber was a no show. What did show up, and linger alone with nothing else, was a cheap masculine aftershave smell. Not a borderline masculine spicy like I usually dig, but how my bus driver smelled in elementary school. It's a clean scent, but overwhelmingly a "grandpa" scent. To be fair, that's what it did on me. I blind bought it after reading reviews and it was a bad decision. I'd swap it for anything, I suppose. The bottle is beautiful, the notes seemed promising. Just ugh. This was a huge disappointment.

ranchorita
ranchorita

This fragrance is indescribably beautiful, and I would liken it to the most creamy, elegant silk that has ever rested against my hide. There is a sweetness to this, and the resinous beauty of amber, but there is no fruity wallop to render this into a cloying, attention-whore mess. This scent is to me like a swirl of the finest perfumes I smell at the opera, as everyone settles into their seats. The overture is beginning and the diva is behind the curtain, ready to dazzle us. Wait until you see her encore!

If you like a womanly, elegant fragrance of distinction, I'd be comfortable to recommend this as a blind buy. This is high on my MUST buy list.

lmlovespapa
lmlovespapa

SEX IN A BOTTLE.....ANY QUESTIONS?

DomizianoA
DomizianoA

An everlasting agressive cypre, a darker, more sedutive, erotic amber combined with progressive shades of precious woods and musk's. Essential!

fullbottleworthy
fullbottleworthy

Wow, okay this frag is, well, interesting. One thing I can say for sure is the longevity is out of this world. I only put on two sprays, and 9 hours later I still feel like I am choking on the fumes b/c of how strong it is. I was considering washing it off but I decided to stick it out. I think even with one spray this would be just too much for me to handle. It's so overwhelming, and almost headache inducing. The scent was fine for the first hour, and actually the first few minutes really reminded me of Addict and were nice, but then the sweet, musky, balmy, powdery amber just completely overwhelmed me. This frag is not for the faint of heart. I don't think I could make it through this fragrance again. NOT a good choice for a blind buy, IMO.

I love some of the notes (amber, myrrh, benzoin, pink pepper) so I had a good expectation, when received my sample, of how I would feel this feminine on me.
Well, I felt it comfortable, warm, a bit sweet but not too much (I usually prefer dry and dark scents in winter). Could not wear it more than a day, as one of my friends asked me for the scent, finding it beautiful, and I offered her the rest; she was very pleased!
I'll keep the good memory of a warm ambery winter sunday afternoon by the fireside!

polka
polka

That’s a nice, smooth composition. All of Ambre Gris’ ingredients mingle so well that I am finding it hard to identify them, which is actually good.

While some of amber frags get too sweet or too salty, this one manages to maintain a good balance between sweetness and saltiness. It’s rather on the light side and doesn’t get oily thick, which can easily happen with amber. You get best of both worlds with this one, as it counterweights amber's heaviness with lightness of musk. And even though I am not a big fan of mixing these two notes, I am finding this scent pretty nice.

Having said that, I won’t be purchasing it, as it lacks sillage, longevity and character. That’s a pity, because it’d be great to have this elegant bottle among others in my collection. Its color together with the name reflect the character of the frag quite well, as it does smell.. greyish.

mimikins24
mimikins24

I have found my perfect amber! --- even though it is not a "true" amber. It is what I hoped for when I purchased Ambre Precieux.

The opening has a pleasant hit of spice, a bit of cinnamon, but mostly pink pepper --- and I adore a bite of pink pepper in an opening.

The heart of the fragrance is accented with tuberose, but it is ever so delicate. I smell what I assume is the Immortal flower more --- a delicious carmel note, but not too sweet.

The drydown is powdery bliss! Lightly musky, heavy benzoine (another of my loves!) and amber, with just a hint of smoke. Essentially a slightly smoky caramel.

I don't find this a "natural" amber scent, but for me I guess that is a positive, as amber can end up too "burnt" or "rubbery" smelling on my skin for lack of a better word.

Longevity is good, silleage polite, but you can definitely kick it up with an extra spray. It makes me feel wrapped up in a cozy pashmina on a cold day.

To me there are some similarities to Prada Candy --- it is a less sweet, more smoky caramel --- there is a smoked caramel tart in a local sweet shop here, with fleur de sel on the top --- exactly like this.

Conifer lover
Conifer lover

This is the prettiest fragrance I have smelled in a long time...well since two days ago when I re-tested L' Heure Bleu.

I have always loved tuberose in fragrance but this one has a very light, sophisticated presence. Rich and creamy, AG suits me well, it lasts all day and surrounds me with a buttery sweet tuberose that cuts through the amber sparingly enough that they both get to share center stage.

I really want this on my have list, AG is too lovely to be left sitting on a shelf. What a perfect balance of notes that not only work well together, but compliment each other effortlessly.

PinoiPerfumista
PinoiPerfumista

This fell flat on my skin after a test yesterday. It is a straightforward amber. A perfume lacking in personality. I hate drama and big sillage in perfume but in the same token, I do not like perfumes without any character. This one falls under the latter category. Boring.

Nancy Lynn
Nancy Lynn

On my skin, the dry down is exactly like Jessica Simpson Fancy Nights. Really sweet dry jammy . I do smell the flowers in it, vaguely, which is unexpected in something mostly dry and ambery. Not bad, not offensive, not too different either. For me the bottle is the best part of this frag. I think I prefer Fancy Nights, though similar, on my skin the Balmain has a bit of a playdoh vein running through it on me. Not sure if it is worth my shelf space as there would be many others I will wear before this.

lila_says
lila_says

Soft, subtle, sophisticated --- this scent is the opposite of most current fragrances for women. The bottle is also exquisite, a big heavy Art Deco-like piece. Lovely!

Talia
Talia

This scent makes me imagine I am a black top model or Halle Berry, or even Iman …I find it very, very, elegant & exotic.

seneca
seneca

Glad I bought the full size EDP bottle :)) I love amber and this is a nice clean powdery one. Musky blend of sweet resin and a slight tuberose. Drys down powdery, soft and sexy on the skin.

Leonie Sophia
Leonie Sophia

All I can do is stupidly repeat "wonderful". It melts with my skin and it is as if my body gives this warm ambery very subtle scent.

akats
akats

I've got a small sample. When I tried it for the first time, I didn't like it much. I though it was salty, masculine and weird! As it dried a bit, it became sweeter and warmer and I took my lesson. Be patient! Wait. It seems as if it has two stages. The sour salty at the beginning and the warm trully ambery at its heart and base. The second time I tried it, I was already in love and I enjoyed even its first stage. Now, I'm sure that I want it. It is amazing warm, elegant, sexy, extremely long lasting. It unfolds a veil of a summer breeze under the warm afternoon sun. Imagine you are sitting on the sand gazing at the purple sunset over the sea, and your unwashed salted body is hydrated with a sweet ambery-vanilla body lotion. Take a breathe and enjoy all the smells that surrounds you....Wake up now...cause this is a perfume for Fall!

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

I just got my bottle of Ambre Gris today thanks to a wonderful swap with a lovely fragrantica member. Wow, I love this juice. Warm amber,benzoin, cinnamon and myrrh with those lovely flowers in the background and the woodiness in the drydown. What's not to love? This is amazing. Mmmm, Mmmm,Mmmnh! And when you first spray it on it smells salty somehow, like the ocean and actual ambergris. This is one of the best ambers ever. Sorry, Lutens and Sheldrake, but I like this better than Ambre Sultan. So positively delicious! And it has a vintage feel without that "I'm from another era" and I don't belong here smell. Ambre Gris smells like a confident, sexy woman, not a girl.

On my skin this juice has good lasting power, much better than the expensive Lubin, which I tried earlier today. Part of the difference in duration of scent that I experienced may have to do with the fact that I spray my perfumes on the backs of my hands (as well as the more traditional pulse points). I find that my scents last better that way, especially since I moisturize the heck out of my hands, they hold scents very well.

To my nose and my brain, this gorgeous fragrance is right up there with some of the classics like L'heure Bleue, my all-time favorite Orienal scent. This is also great layered with Hermessence Epice Marine!

dkny27
dkny27

Longevity is not so good, on me! BUT!!!, BIG BUT.... This fragrance is unisexually amazing! It is balmy and ambery but I get a lot of the benzoin/musk as solid notes. It just works... It's wonderfully seasonal for fall and for those "in between" moments... I
This scent identifies the person who wears it.... The only problem IMO, you have to have a bottle handy to reapply to experience the "wow" factor that comes with the first application.... It lingers on clothing better, fyi...
Bottom line... great buy for those who are attracted to the notes listed... I blind bought, with some members' assistance; very satisfied!!

jesseg
jesseg

this perfume is beautiful and is very much similar to prada l"eau ambree...it has no sillage ...its beautiful in warm weather...i wish it stayed longer or maybe thats the beauty of it that u never get enough of it...thanku dina for your suggestion to smell this beauty

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

this is absolutely UNISEX, even slightly "masculine" if I dare categorize. It smells divine on a woman and also on a man. It is a very nice alternative to the too widely popular generic men cologne scents one finds on the market these days. Ambre gris has that ambery sweet spicy scent that so many perfumes have, but it does it in a very natural, non synthetic way. It has very good projection and longevity for a very good price and a nice quality bottle and scent. Not ground breaking but super nice for colder weather. The evolution is also very nice to follow. It morphs quite quickly. If you are looking for a sweet amber scent and do not care to spend hundreds of dollars on, say, Ambre Narguile, I suggest looking into this one. The more I wear it, the more androgynous it becomes to my nose.

The Swedish girl
The Swedish girl

This smells like Yves Rocher Voile Ambre, mixed with buttery salty popcorn. I can almost smell something kind of soapy in there too. Oh, and it`s very peppery.

Good sillage and longevity on clothes at least.

Very nice.

I`m not so sure about the look of the bottle though. I mean - what`s the deal with the golf ball...?

carbocookie
carbocookie

The cinnamon/immortelle combination reminds me a bit of L de Lolita Lempicka, but the amber, benzoin and myrrh add warmth and body to the fragrance where I find L sometimes falls flat. It's a cozy, comfortable scent, but still sexy. It's hard for me to picture anyone being offended by this. This is the fourth fragrance I ever bought blind at full price, and I'm so glad I did, as I understand it is now d/c. Shame, it's so lovely.

vulpinitribe
vulpinitribe

I love you ambre gris,
you're such a warm, soft, sexy embrace!
I'm sure this baby works for the gents too.

But, all I frankly need to say in this review is:
"Makes me horny."

dina
dina

When it first hit my skin, Ambre Gris reminded me of Arab fumes, woods, oud, myrrh, without being sharp or cloying. Gradually, it turned smoky releasing beautiful tobacco notes.

I would classify Ambre Gris as a soft woody/soft spicy fragrance, and I would absolutely recommend it to men as well... I find it a perfect unisex fragrance.

Though I find it very unique, I wouldn't buy it right away... maybe once I finish my Crystal Noir bottle which falls into the same category IMO, without implying any similarity...

Update:
Couldn't resist and had to have it... Enjoying this beauty for the 2nd day today :)

beatrix75
beatrix75

oh this is so elgant wonderful amazing smell ,today i tested in åhlens and wooow say what????warm,cinnamon,amber soft lyx smell!!!10/10

actonye
actonye

have had this sitting in the bathroom for a while and thought, give it a go today, see if this lifts my mood. it did.
initial base notes of amber gris and cinnamon are awesome for that bit of kick .
The longevity from what i remember was about 6 hours and still giving off occasional whiffs.
a bit more feminine than masc. in my opinion for a unisex smell. But think it works great on a cloudy summer day.
though there was a strong vanilla base there, but not sure.

EK
EK

Oh, this is beautiful! I've had my decant for a while, but didn't give it an all-day wearing until now.
Ambre Gris has it all. Warm and inviting, soft and elegant, attractive and sophisticated. It's light enough for daytime casual wear, but I wouldn't think twice to wear it special occasions too. I will need a big bottle of this gem.
I had a sample of it a while ago, and I remember I was thinking "Well, nice, very nice - but nothing special". must have been anosmic that day.
Sillage and longevity are amazing! I put it on at 6am and when I got home at 4pm, it was still going strong with occasional whiffs. 10 hour longevity is really good - but 10 hour sillage is fantastic!

lotus7
lotus7

* Beautiful perfume: WARM - SENSUAL - EARTHY

Tuberose & benzoin a predominant and it me me feel hot and soft.

nikkimouse
nikkimouse

I absolutely agree with the comment below. From reviews I read before purchasing, I set my expectations so high I thought this would really be ''the one'' the oriental of orientals'', but no.. it's a light version of ''the one'', and I agree for the low price its a great deal and it is a fantastic choice for a ''go to'' scent .. and for a spicey perfume that's suitable for work.

And with all these positive aspects, causes the negative... it tends to be a bit boring for a perfume entiteled ''ambre gris''

Falcon is remarkably beautiful!

However I am glad I purchased a bottle, but I wont be purchasing another

Sillage - 2/10 low - Longevity 4/10 a few hours Scent 7/10

I think a better choice for a low cost oriental would be Rochas absolu :)

aschiffm
aschiffm

This is great if you love oriental scents but want something that isn't overpowering for daytime or warmer weather. it's salty/sweet ambergris and cinnamon backed up with some myrrh and benzoin.

Overall it's a light scent and feel its something you can throw on whenever and use as a default everyday fragrance. It's a unique natural smelling skin scent with a little pizazz.

balmainlady
balmainlady

Very unique, seductive, sweet, but classy (not pink). Complex, but not heavy. I absolutely love it. It also stay long on the skin. Will highly recommend it.
The other once that I love are: Clive Christian #1 and "C". "Winsor" by Creed. "Winsor", btw is an unbelievable perfume!

stella-00
stella-00

Gorgeous smell.... Reminds me something mediteranian, a plant that has baby-pink flowers, like a little bunch of hair.... Aroma is pleasant and soft, mellow....well, these are my connotations with the AG.

Package is excellent, very impressive, solid, beautiful bottle design, indeed, and could make a fantastic present if it is meant to impress, but.....

I do not know why nobody mentioned that- sillage and staying power is ZERO. I mean that.You smell it just out of the bottle, once it is just sprayed, 5 min - that's it. And i do not lessen it at all. I put this perfume into the list of after-shower mists or smth light -springy/summery, like really-really light that you would go to bed with. I have 100ml bottle and for the price i paid (30 euro)- it needs to be quartered at least to be true to it's value....

I am very surprised with this one, as it is sold as EDP concentration and i would say it is a splash.

But saying that, - i still like the light aroma of AG,- ah, well - it is not the only 'shower mist' that i owe ( Hermes Un Jardin Apres La Mousson is the other one) !!! But i have found the way out to use it more properly- i layer it with John Varvatos!!!!
The concoction seems to be very charming, as they are both in the similar category of smells (for me at least).

Do not buy it if you are after 'killer'-type perfume sillage-wise.

junglefun
junglefun

Unisex fragrance that is closer on the womans side in my opinion. Not bad a smell, but not something I would wear. Nice bottle though.

emily7
emily7

I think I would love Ambre Gris in my 20s; comfortably blended, soft and warm amber, spicy resins with a pinch of salt in order to achieve a distinct warm-cold contrast... Could this be oriental marine? Yes, it could be completely new and modern category - my kind of fragrance back then.

But today I fancy something more solid and less casual. Ok, I'll say it - more original and natural-smelling. This opens very nice, still if I start to really smell Ambre Gris I will discover something very scary; the amber note is not convincing at all, also it was clear from the beginning there's no ambergris in it too and the "gris" part is really an artificial note that reminds me of a small plastic boat on a grey coastal day.

I'm very into Balmain, just from another era.
Yes, I am old and cranky.

There is something remotely similar to Womanity, so I guess Womanity fans could appreciate Ambre Gris.

calyx93
calyx93

Very ambivalent about this scent. I've owned a 100ml of this for several years now, and only occasionally spray a bit on my hand to remind myself of why I don't wear it.

I suppose it has to do with the name being a bit misleading. As an amber aficionado, and owning many amber-based fragrances, it seems to come short on many levels. True, it has a heavy myrrh component that's bolstered by cinnamon, immortelle, "ambergris", benzoin, vanilla and other "typical" amber components - but it does seems to noticeably fall short of what one would expect from such a list of players.

Ambre Gris seems to be a product of many hesitations and cautious judgement of critical amounts that didn't allow it to take any one accord and make it speak up properly. It's pleasant enough, but ultimately doesn't satisfy my amber-loving nose. Plus, it's not true enough to its name to be a competitor amongst players like Blue Amber, Ambre Precieux, Ambre Sultan, Ambre Russe or anything that really is a "real" amber scent.

Likewise, it also fails to be a true gourmand - the cinnamon, immortelle and vanilla aren't strong enough to convey a true gourmand sense. It's more like a weak, cinnamon cookie dough. The immortelle could have been amplified to accentuate the maple-like aspect or the myrrh could have taken a much more forceful role. Even the vanilla seems to be rather wimpy.

If you layer it on top of other scents, you can really sway it in many directions - which makes it a good layering fragrance. However, I do believe it is one of the few fragrances that falls short of the Balmain name - and one that ultimately feels directionless.

Again, don't get me wrong, it's very pleasant and can be worn by both men and women. It just seems to have an identity crisis that conflicts with its name. Maybe the budget was a bit too tight for it to become a real player. Pity.

jtd
jtd

In its favor, Ambre Gris tells you all about itself up front. It's plainspoken, there are no surprises and it doesn't take much concentration. Against it, AG has the feel not so much of synthetic perfumery as fake food. It's a twinkie instead of shortcake. It's margarine and cornstarch syrup on your pancakes.

That said, I kind of like it. There's something about it that's just off, not quite right. It's like the background hum of industrial fluorescent lighting that recedes in your mind to a dull hum until you turn it off and realize that what you perceived as a quiet hum or buzz was in fact low-volume disharmony. In filtering it you had just unconsciously redefined it so as to tolerate it. Honestly though, I do like AG a bit. But here's how: one spritz. One spritz is comfortable. Two is queasy. Three is so far over the line that, in the manner of the instant conditioning that you experience vomiting a particular food that you then never want to eat again, you'll never want to smell it again.

mimi.smell
mimi.smell

GORGEOUS!!!
Oriental spicy when opens, goes trough smoky vanilla and dries down to woody amber scent. Fantastic perfume!
Staying power is average, but I think worth to buy it.

Zaria
Zaria

A really smooth amber fragrance, maybe a little bit too smoothed out, it could be considered on the boring side. It is a really pretty smell though with no old fashioned elements as some ambers can be in possesion of. I get quite a luminous but soft amber with a few soft florals interlaced and a gentle musky presence. It does have an artificial aspect to it though which may be off putting to some. Didn't really last long on me and the sillage was gentle after the opening.

ralucucky
ralucucky

In my opinion, this is a very affordable niche fragrance for someone who likes classic perfumes. It's kind of unisex, I find it suitable for winter, but it's not something I would wear.

anna.023
anna.023

Ohh myyy...I cant make up my mind!! Is it "mature"? Is it smokey or Balmy? Is it close to skin, no wait, all the room smells... Is it sharp then? Nooo.. Its soft, but still strong. At the same time. Its not mature, no, its elegant. God.. I dont know weather I like it or hate it. Its slighty oldfashion and balmy, a little spicy. Stays strong, but not offensive at all. I think I have to come back on this one. But it have defentley made an impression on me!!

Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt
Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt

I appreciate Nopasho's review (as I do yours). It gives the reader / perfume seeker a truer sense of what this perfume is really like, and ironically as you have scolded Nopasho for his reiews on the reviewer.. you have also done to Nopasha. As i am now doing to you, lol

I Think Naposho's statement is necissary to comprehend the many differences between the two frags, otherwise soemone seeking information will walk away thinking this smells like something it does not There is no way that these two very different perfumes smell anything alike and quite honestly I'm disturbed by how many so baselessly make such incorrect statements, and have to wonder the intent behind it.

I always read as many reiews as possible to get the truest sense possible. Therefor all comments especially those that demonstrate actual knowledge on a fragrance are important in my decision making process. And I have made many 'blind buys'...havn't been disapointed yet! *knocks on wood*

nopasho
nopasho

Let's give it to you straight.
Ambre Gris notes: Top: Pink pepper, benzoin, cinnamon, myrhh, Middle: Tuberose, immortal flower; Base: Amber, benzoin, guaiac wood, white musk. 10 notes.
Naomi Campbell 'Naomi Campbell' notes, hold on to your seat: Top: Magnolia, orange blossom, coconut, mandarin, pimento, peach, mandarin, bergamot; Middle notes: Floral notes, tuberose, jasmine, heliotrope, lily-of-the-valley, rose; Base: Sandalwood, tonka bean, opoponax, vanilla, amber, musk, benzoin, caramel, cedar. 23 notes! It would have been easier to mention the notes that are not used in this mess of a frag where the notes kill each other mercilessly on your skin. And what btw are 'floral notes', is that the trash of a hothouse of which the fragrance oil has been extracted. Using 'flower notes' in a frag is like saying that you use meat in a lamb shish kebab, fish in a tuna sushi or beef for an Angus Scottish Aberdeen steak. Totally meaningless.
There are three, count them 3 (!!!) same notes of the two frags. The rest, the key notes are totally different. How anybody can find similarities between Balmains 'Ambre Gris' and celeb frag 'Naomi Campbell' by 'Naomi Cambell' is beyond me. It is like saying that a Citroen XM looks exactly like a Mini Cooper. Strange...
Ambre Gris is a great scent in the just below classic level. Also: it is not very expensive and has the high Balmain House quality: good sillage, big longevity. The spicy woody top of cinnamon, pink pepper, benzoin and myrrh plays centre stage together with the floral middle of tuberose and Immortal Flower. That is reinforced by the base of which amber is one of the 4 notes. I don't find this 'amber overkill' at all! On the contrary. It is the Guaiac wood who pleasantly dominate togheter with the flowers and the myrrh this frag for me and the amber, vanilla, benzoin and not strong musk back that up, without being very 'present'. The fragrance in its totality is a very well mixed, rounded slightly smoky and woody spicy floral.
Two great things that make this fragrance stand out: the myrrh in the top that reinfoirces the spices and gives a lot of 'oomph' to this fragrance. The myrrh in the top is potent enough to counterpoint the eqaully strong tuberose and the equally strong Immortal Flower in the middle. The interplay between the myrrh and the flowers make these three notes even stand out more by their contrasts. The myrrh is more present and the florals are more outspoken.
How somebody can describe this myrhh-tuberose-immortal-flower-guaiac wood-cinnamon-pink pepper composition as 'grey', is again beyond my nimble mind.
To set the record stright IMHO: Ambre Gris is a very well made, very distinct, very classy, gorgeous and wonderful affordable fragrance, that deserves better than to be branded as 'grey' and be compared to that horrible diva Campell and her generic celeb frags. I would say: judge for yourself. Don't let you be put off by the clogged nose of some reviewer like me. Test it and let us know what you think. I think it is a very underrated, wrongly villified, remarkable fragrance accused of the worst you can say about a frag: 'it smells grey' (meaning 'meh'; but believe me -and I have a bottle of real Ambre Gris EDP to back it up- ambre Gris is anything BUT 'meh'). It is a warm, comfy gorgeous frag with some surprising notes like the myrrh and the Guaiac wood.
Maybe it is too affordable for some people. I for one applaud the democratic pricing of Balmain. It proves that a lot of other houses vastly overprice their frags and are maybe jealous of Balmain.
'Ambre Gris' is a unisex sillage monster in a good way, perfect for winter. Modern, classy, high quality, colorful, a remarkable fragrance with personality at a great price. That's more than enough for me.

ivanao
ivanao

I love this wonderful perfume! I agree a lot with Mellyhelly, something from my favourite Cartier Must, but this is easier to wear in the office :o) I even like it more after 4-5 hours, it leaves a creamy balmy "tail" that I also feel from the clothes the next day, but not the first hours.
I generally like sweeter perfumes, I have found out that it is even better on my skin when mixed with my other lovely one - Guerlain Insolence. Makes absolute perfect match. I get a lot of positive feedback from men - and women as well.

Gorgeous!
Now I remember why I liked it so much on first test!
I didn't buy it back then and after that I couldn't find it anymore.
I didn't buy because I felt it was too complex for my average life and probably average me, but I sprayed it from my old sample after reading suggestions for an ambery perfume and it all came back to me!
Actually this is not a strictly ambery scent. If ambergris is there it's mingled with so many other notes for a totally multi-layered experience like in the good old school style!
While sniffing it in delight I finally got the familiar connection: Cartier Must!
They smell very similar at least as concept.
They both reminds me of my dismissed love Samsara.
Samsara has been re-formulated, Must disappeared from shelves, Ambre Gris is not easy to find around. Why??
These are real perfumes!

Ambre Gris conjure up the same personality: sexy in a ladylike way (not childish, girlish or even lolita!). More of a knowing lady of any age.
Most of all I see these perfumes in red, also Ambre Gris and they recall inner passions.

I will track Ambre Gris somewhere and I know it will take time to acquaintance like with Samsara and Must.
Even if it's immediately enchanting, Ambre Gris needs some time to deal with.
These are scents that can wear you if you don't wear them!
Also Ambre Gris is very suitable for fall/winter and cold weather. It could be a little annoying in hot summer, but always beautiful!
The staying power is great and even if expensive AG is much more worthy its pricetag than so many mainstream fragrances.

Mado Haddad
Mado Haddad

Very well matches my chemistry :)
At first it's... well, amber-y :) but, later mixes with my skin very well that it's not even perfume-y at all.
Leaves a warm & mysterious trail, without screaming "I'm wearing a perfume! "
This would be my signature :))

AveParfum
AveParfum

This perfume really is as nice as everyone says it is!

When I first smelled it, my first impression was of lots of pepper, and I immediately thought it was much too masculine. Only 2-3 minutes later, the pepper died down and the perfume became the perfect blend of cinnamon, woods, and amber. Gosh, it's lovely. There is a powdery quality about it that caught me off guard, and I love it. This could be my Christmas perfume. It's elegant, warm, cozy and delicious. Plus the metallic bottle is stunning in real life.

Juma
Juma

Strrrrong sillage monster, which confirms that my skin doesn't like amber at all, or it's me, I don't know.
It's 100% unisex scent.
I smell strong red pepper too.

Amarylis
Amarylis

This is a great immortelle and ambergris fragrance, slightly gourmandy with the immortelle, with musk and woody notes.
Overall nice !

mizzjnice
mizzjnice

I totally agree with DarkBeauty's and kastehelmi's reviews below. This perfume is so elegant, sophisticated, and rich to me- but not at all "old". Yes, the opening is sharp and peppery and a bit soapy... (if you spray it on paper, that's all you'll smell) but give it some time to develop on your skin and it'll transform into a sweet, dry yet creamy woodsy fragrance with soft cinnamon, deep amber, and sweet resin. It's perfect for Fall/Winter nights: a night out at a smoky dim-light bar or when you're wearing an evening gown at an event and want to smell the way you look. Ambre Gris is sultry, warm, cozy, and mysterious. It's a "come hither" scent; wear this on your skin, on every spot you'd like to be kissed, as Ms. Chanel used to say.

P.S. The bottle is so gorgeous and elegant... to me, this perfume smells exactly the way the bottle looks.

Singabera
Singabera

Well, today is my first time I do wear it.
It's really comfortable, warm scent, reminds me of lots male perfumes like Very Valentino and By Dolce and Gabbana, that type of unisex scents which is not so masculine, neither feminine...
It lacks character, as for me, and individuality. Probably creators of Ambre gris wanted to do smth safe, which a lot of people would like.
I really think it should be much more spicy, then I'll like it)

darkbeauty
darkbeauty

Sweet, dry, amber with a creamy overlay, thick like the top layer of fresh, raw milk. The spice reminds me of Chai. So perhaps this is my Spiced Chai Latte in perfume form. Yumm... I could eat my wrist right now.

This is mature, decadent, warm, and sexy! Save this for a midnight rendevous. An elegant, black tie affair. When you want to feel like a vixen underneath your cashmere sweater. Or snuggling up in front of a fire with your man.

I believe once again I fallen flat on my face at first sniff. I'm a sucker for love I guess...

P.S. If anyone has it for swap, I'll jump hoops for it. Let me know :o)

Wega
Wega

So sad... I wanted to love this - I love amber scents, but this one did not work for me. Unfortunately, this one is synthetic smelling and headache/sore throat inducing to me.

*sophi*
*sophi*

This i love because it has a bit of everything ...sweetness,woods,spices and a bit of the only floral note which i definitely like tuberose.
Oh..what a great sillage ,i agree with the saying it changes all the time...you won't find this scent never boring ...
smokey grey amber ...sweet almost gourmandy benzoin and spices (pepper,cinammon)...delicious,mysterious,sensual ...
Yes, my type !!!!!

Bandit

This must be the absolute nicest amber fragrance out there. But that's about all one could say about it. If you are looking for amber (and I did, eventually I have a real craving for it), this one is a very nice amber, unisex, very refinend, check it out, it serves.

But it is not risky. Not edgy. Not complicated. One could say: Boring? Depends on what you are looking for, I guess.

;-)
;-)

Now I've finally tried it and I'll use up the sample but I won't buy it. This is a balanced woody oriental. A true comfort sent, creamy, round, warm but I wasn't looking for a blanket. This it a rather grown up sent as well. (reminds me of some lady from My childhood)

vaiduakhu
vaiduakhu

It isn't oriental woody. It should be in gourmand group. At first it is a little sweet, the kind of sweet in L de Lolita, then it becomes buttery, really yummy m/.

Waltzing Matilda
Waltzing Matilda

When I first applied Ambre Gris, I was reminded of Chopard Madness which I'm not that fond of. However, once the dry down glides in, it's something completely different and very lovely.

The other day before I had my shower, I kept getting whiffs of something that smelled like 'Samsara', but I don't have that at the moment. I realised that it was the remnants of 'Ambre Gris' that I'd worn the previous day. It is very affordable which makes it even more appealing.

CathyCooper
CathyCooper

Very warm, sexy and subtle, this fragrance. My new favorite. And the disco ball topper on the bottle is a plus!

fpih
fpih

I bought a bottle of it and I can only say that for the price I paid (I got it in a bargain) it's nice. If I had paid more for it, I would be a very sad customer indeed, because I do get strong synthetic and perfumey vibes from it.

This fragrance turns out to be warm, musky and creamy as described by other reviewers. However, the amber is very thin compared to some of my favorite amber scents, it just makes the whole composition sweeter and more rounded. The myrrh and musk are the strongest on me and I also get the feel of sandalwood but no tuberose or spice whatsoever. I also get a slight lemony/medicinal scent on top of everything which I guess might be the immortelle; it's what prevents it from being sickly sweet and a trully comforting scent. Lasting power is quite good (6~8 hours) but projection is small. It's an inoffensive perfume that could be worn anytime & anywhere but for me, it's also boring.

From the name I expected a much stronger amber accord; sadly that's not the case, but those who like their amber with a very light hand may find the ideal fragrance here.

Update: Even with the colder weather, this is too much for me. I had to give it away, as it's one of the few perfumes I have that I actually can't stand wearing at all. because of its prominent plasticky/synthetic vibe.

sarazonoz
sarazonoz

Gosh, this is a masterpiece! How amazing is the bottle? Just too beautiful.. I sprayed this on while I was inside Collette in Paris and all day I was sniffing my wrist. It lingered until dinner! It just got better and better. I like my perfumes complicated and interesting, not those crappy, candylike, sweet commercial smells you find on best seller lists. They are so boring, so uncomplicated, unsophisticated... This one is a bit on the sweet side, but in the perfect way! If you like scents with personality, you must try this. The perfect scent to wear to candle lit dinner out about town on a winter evening in Paris...

mika71
mika71

This is lovely. A certain spice element dominates on my skin, so it's a bit stronger than I would like, but still, very well done.

To my nose, it reminds me a great deal of Guerlain's Samsara, just not as overpowering.

Heverton
Heverton

Starts out very sweet, very tasty, with a cinnamon note mixed with a very light myrrh. Over time the fragrance will gain a dominance of amber with an aroma followed by Musk.
A very good fragrance, definitely geared for cold climates. Makes a good gift for a girlfriend.

Udaria
Udaria

I love this Amber. At first, I thought it smelled a bit raw, but that is what has been growing on me.
This is a perfect go-to fragrance that fits any occasion. It smells so cozy and comfortable, so straightforward, full and rich. Not as heavy as some Christmas cookies aromas, but faintly reminiscent of them. I suppose that is the cinnamon.
Not too sweet or vanilla like, rather like a pile of woods. A chic - almost green - note prevails throughout.

Inspire0111
Inspire0111

This was so lovely on the card I am gutted it didn't work on my skin :-( It's a totally gorgeous fragrance - sweet (but not too much) and buttery. Make sure you test it on yourself before you buy it though.

pureblonde
pureblonde

Received my sample of this one today and I really like it! Reminds me very much of Cashmere Mist for the most part which I used to wear and love (drydown is different and I prefer AG). Agree with other reviewers who say this is a cosy and inviting fragrance - it's powdery, sweet and warm all at the same time. There is nothing loud or offensive about this perfume at all, it's just beautiful and so easy to wear which means it suits all ages and all occasions. I undoubtedly plan to finish my sample and will enjoy doing so. Highly recommend!

fanny
fanny

Wow, I am very impressed.
This new treasure is perfection in a bottle.
I bought it without testing, trusting the name and the ingredients (not to mention the killer design bottle).

High but soft notes and light warmth. Ambre Gris emanates an elegance that is confident about its own beauty.
A pure pleasure.

Ambre Gris can be easily worn by both man and woman as long as he is open minded. It's not all the way feminine as it has this obvious cinnamon spiciness, pink pepper, and a lot of benzoin. There is no prominent tuberose or any obvious flower that I can smell, so, like I mentioned, a guy can wear this. The woody accord is subtle as well, so it's easy for women to wear. The overall scent is not spicy. It's actually powdery and gloomy but cozy and inviting with warm oriental sweetness. The drydown is all about amber and musk with weak powdery (and less gloomy) feel. It is quite impressive fragrance that lasts more than 6 hrs. Too bad the weather is now hot and humid here. I feel like it's better to wear this in colder weather season. I will wait til then to test drive this baby again in the future. One more thing, the golden disco golf ball topper is humorous! It looks goofy but it has nice weight and feel, and it stands out among my big collection :)

cartman_
cartman_

at first , thanks a lot dear gypsy parfumista for this amazing scent advice.

@desmondorama, thank you for recommend this scent as you mentioned in your commend. ie; '' suit for unisex/masculen wearer too''.

Yamba1
Yamba1

I can only affirm the glowing reviews already posted on this magnificant perfume. Firstly, let me say the bottle is just stunning, and the picture doesn't truly reflect how pretty this bottle is.

As for the scent? Warm and inviting, this perfume caresses you with gentle strokes of amber/benzoin but supported by the gentle woody base. Don't be worried about the tuberose. No white flowers are apparent but the tuberose/immortel do serve to smooth and balance the spices.
Wearing Ambre Gris feels like having a pair of loving arms around you. Pure bliss!!

[email protected]
paiged98@gmail.com

I cannot say enough good things on this scent. It is utterly one of the perfect scents. We are all always searching for them and this one so well constructed and balanced. It goes on the skin exactly as it smells in the bottle and you want to keep inhaling your wrist all day. Elegant, pure and rich it is a very special perfume. It is one that I hope will continue to made.

olga1780
olga1780

God, what a beauty! I never heard of Pierre Balmain until I discovered this site. I am so grateful to Fragrantica's members for their reviews that spiked my interest in this House. I blindly purchased 3 of Balmain's perfumes, and this one is by far my favourite. I just can't get enough of this gorgeous scent....it lasts for hours. Pure luxury.

possumke
possumke

I usually go for light florals, but thought it was high time to explore some other perfume groups out there, so I recently ordered some mixed samples from luckyscent and this one was first out of the lot to try...
Well, for me it was a shock!, it started quite strong with an animalstic note (I so wanted to be able to identify what I was smelling, but I guess this will come with more experience) I did detect some cinnamon as it dried down, and it became a softer, slightly floral woody musk scent on me. I wouldn't say it is altogether feminine, and I can imagine some men would enjoy wearing this fragrance also. Perfumes usually fade fast on my skin, but this one lasts for hours.

jae
jae

Unisex perfection... There's no need to even elaborate. The reviews have spoken for this wonderful concoction already. I'm just glad to have it in my collection and I wonder what took me so long.

mmizy
mmizy

I have a sample of this perfume from a fragrantica member. The tiniest drop of this perfume envelops you in this cashmere curtin of warmth. Its this thick rich smell of cinnamon and amber. Its cozy and soothing. Its perfect for a winter wonderland. Just make sure to spray with a light hand...it may be overwhelming if otherwise. If you like dior addict or prada prada you should definitely test this.

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

Warm, creamy vanilla sweetness from the benzoin, peppery without the biting quality and a very prominent cinnamon. There is also an element of soggy sawdust in the top notes as well.

The drydown is indeed warm and cosy, sweetly smoky like BBQ vanilla pods. I do not really smell much in the way of amber itself.

Ambre Gris is not so much 'gris' as it is a smoky taupe. Strangely beautiful and addictive despite its plainess.

guest_chuaalba
guest_chuaalba

Big decepcion,for me its no special perfum,and i think its absolutily masculin.
I don kow were is seet amber????

I bought all of my Balmain perfumes scent unsniffed and was happy with each and every one of them. AMBRE GRIS, which I decided to test before buying, turns out to be wonderful as well!

Unlike many amber perfumes, AMBRE GRIS has layers of delicacy which unfold over time and include a touch of detectable cinnamon, a sweetness apparently imparted by vanilla, and a woodiness in the drydown. This is a splendid use of amber, not as a dominant note, but as one among several complementary oriental components. The florals do not assert themselves much, but that is to be expected, since all of the oriental elements are very strong. Yet none is overpowering, and they work together harmoniously rather than battling for control of the composition. Compared to LA MOME, the myrrh note here is rather subtle.

AMBRE GRIS is my favorite of the several amber perfumes I've tried recently, and I'll definitely be adding this benzoin-rich, super-longlasting, cold-weather-ready creation to my collection. Highly recommended to lovers of oriental perfumes!

Cereza
Cereza

Opens a little bit sharp and masculine, but in 10 minutes settles down to a lovely, feminine and seductive scent. It's more of a skin scent in my opinion, because this is very quiet and I feel it only when I push my nose closely to my wrist. I waited for a louder fragrance, because the tuberose is listed, but I don't feel any tuberose. And my other love - myrrh is not present as well. This is a cozy scent, but in my opinion there are many better out there.

CremeBavaroise
CremeBavaroise

I positively adore this scent. So warm, so elegant, so... I'm glad I can't get a lot of the tuberose, because that note makes my stomach turn in heavy doses, jasmine does that, too. But here everything is myrrh, guaiac, amber, cinnamon (very little), benzoin... the immortelle gives a tad of dryness to it, maybe. Wonderful creamy, calm, cozy snuggle-scent. Just great.

Pa.princess
Pa.princess

The cinnamon, the myrrh oh my! I love this warm scent. It was one of my "go to" scents for fall and winter, but thanks to a suggestion from perfumepassio I have started wearing it in summer. Fantastic!! The warmer you get, the better it smells. On me, it lasts forever
You MUST try Ambre Gris, whether in the cold or the heat, I promise you-you won't be sorry!

LadyJedi
LadyJedi

I adore Ambre Gris as it gives me the right amount of amber and cinnamon at their best. It's warm and sweet, very snuggly and sensual and at the same time buttery and gourmand. I would like to have a huge bottle of it in my collection at all times but it is kind of pricey :( A must-have for all amber scent lovers! Amazing sillage and staying power!

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

I was expecting more from this perfume, given the name. Recently I’ve tried several perfumes that contained ambergris (whether real or synthetic, who’s to know?), and have become fascinated by this note. Ambre Gris is a nice enough fragrance that starts out with an unexpectedly sweet, slightly spicy, floral, resinous and soapy vanilla, a mix in which it’s hard to separate individual notes. It continues in that mode through the drydown, at which time it becomes a fairly conventional amber scent made up of benzoin, woods, musk and vanilla.

Nowhere along the way did I smell a significant ambergris note. It’s easy to imagine that you’re smelling something that you’re expecting, even if it’s not present, and I tried hard to make my brain smell ambergris. However, the tone of the perfume stayed in the oriental-spicy-gourmand realm without ever going near the salty-iodine-sea animal place that I’d hoped for. When I want a classic French-style perfume, I’ll reach for my stash of discontinued Patous, not Ambre Gris.

Dark Curls
Dark Curls

Wow this smells sooooo good! I LOVE amber scents and this is my favorite so far!! I would wear this year round I care not! I love Ambre Sultan for its woodiness, but this is a sweet Amber with spice so I adore both really. :-)

A lovely friend of mine has this fragrance as her signature, so almost two weeks ago when I went to visit her, she sprayed me with this divine fragrance and a little of the scent got on my jacket. I picked up that same jacket today and noticed how well this fragrance had lasted and how elegant Ambre Gris smells.

I remember thinking when my friend first sprayed Ambre Gris how spicy and sweet it was. It had an almost gourmand feel to it with the cinnamon and vanilla creating a warm and delicious olfactory experience.

While I delighted in the spiciness of Ambre Gris, I didn't quite agree with the sweetness. I concluded that it was my own personal tastes coming into play rather than the composition of the scent itself.

I must admit however, that once Ambre Gris fully develops on the skin, there is a certain sense of magic in the air. I cannot detect any hint of pink pepper in this fragrance, yet there is beautiful, resinous myrrh, soft white flowers and edible cinnamon sitting on a musky and almost smokey, incense base.

I can certainly see why previous reviewers refer to Ambre Gris as being a 'snuggly, sensual, cozy and extravagant' fragrance. Ambre Gris is all that has been already mentioned.

Burying my nose into my jacket at this present time almost sends me into a state of euphoria. I love rich, spicy and smokey fragrances, so the moment this fragrance reached the drydown I was completely and utterly hooked. I don't believe that I will be able to wash my jacket ever again.

yvashche
yvashche

I was meaning to try this one and when I smelled it, it was quite nice. Smells like something from Serge Lutens. Probably Gris Clair. Reminds me of D&G Bateleur too. I already own that one so I won't be purchasing this one.

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

Opens a bit salty, with slight pepperiness, soapy with myrrh. The cinnamon is interesting, not very spicy, warm, not quite sweet.

I personally find the opening strong, but this scent becomes more and more beautiful as it dries-the Guaiac wood is golden, the tuberose is just a touch, not a note that stands out by any means.
Ambre Gris is a fabulous perfumey perfume-rich and glowing with resins and not completely familiar, but not exactly new. A wonderful composition, but as Malegria said "not very original".
I have never smelled "immortal flower", but if that is the "je ne sais quoi" here, I like it.

Ambre Gris goes onto my skin like an old French perfume, very bright and aldehydic, almost golden and sparkly. It's very brash, very loud, but it settles in quickly to a sexy, warm and slightly soapy scent that just keeps my wrist glued to my nose.The rich resinous myrrh is amazing, definitely a scent for colder weather, almost sticky like church incense, but it is tempered by the hot spice of cinnamon. Not quite detectable are the floral notes, but they keep the resins from becoming too overpowering while at the same time contributing to that sense of soapy clean perfume. Lovely, and not terribly expensive. I love the glass bottle and hate the golf ball lid.

Zhara
Zhara

Others on this list have commented on how dramatically this scent changes once you've put it on. That's true for me as well, although it takes a turn for the worse.
It begins with a heavy sweet benzoin-type blast, then immediately strays into soured stale coffee notes and copy-machine toner refill essence. Finally, it then wanders over to an aroma I can only call "hospital". Definitely not in harmony with my chemistry - your mileage may vary.
I'll be selling my bottle of it soon - testing is so important, not sure why I bought the big jug of it unsniffed.

This scent is so strange! Due to the name I didn't expect this. It's a very complex, multi-layered and complicated fragrance with a natural effect. It changes a lot in time with a very multi-stage evolution, totally different from many nowadays monodimensional fragrances.
It has a lot of style from beginning to end. Very very elegant and extravagant. The start smells very green to me and I smell something like galbanum (?), then a strong floral stage with different little clouds and finally. At this stage it absolutely transport my memory to something I'm sure was familiar to me when I was a child, but I can remember WHAT! It also is quite similar to Jil Sander n.4 floral heart.
After 2 hours a beautiful creamy musky amber comes out and that's the best part! It's a to-die-for elegant AND snuggling drydown, creamy and clean animalic. No stink of the beast and no brain-piercing acute soapy edge as most fragrances seem to fall on one of these sides. Ambre Gris doesn't.
It's very longlasting and clings to fabric, so if you love that drydown and worn it regularly you can it stronger and stronger. It smells divinely on clothes the day after. I don't know what kind of raw ingredients they use. It is likely to be synthetic but a very well done one! I need to test this a little more before going for a full purchase. Right now I think that it was long time since I could smell such an extravagant, elegant and totally snuggling (drydown) scent.
It is pricey, about 70 euro for 50ml, very in line with typical mainstream Chanels, but much less then many niche fragrances.

belladonna'sbliss
belladonna'sbliss

Firstly I love how this bottle looks in my collection. smokey heavy glass and grey fluid, cap fits perfectly and the atomizer doesn't need to be crushed down to work. All shows what price range these perfumes should be in.
Honestly I was expecting more amber from Gris. Amber is present in a melange of Resin, wood, musk and spice. The workings of this perfume never seem to really settle on me. the notes churn continuously. the start is a pepper and resin with dry cinnamon, startling. the warmth plays through with varying degrees of sweetness from flowers and the grey amber. At times my skin mixes with the amber and musk to bring out the an animalistic almost male quality. woods strole by and agree that there is sandlewood in here or something mimics it nicely. Each time I wear this I am constantly smelling myself sometimes out of pleasure and sometimes just to make sure that musk note does not get out of hand on me. Never gets too spicy or strong and even though the notes change the level of sillage stays the same, calm. it is a nicely done perfume. I second the fact that it makes one hell of a unisex and can seem very formal just like the bottle.

Malegria
Malegria

This is a nice amber, very playful It changed so much on my skin I retested - with the same result.The spicy opening, then the juicy, almost fruity heart (reminded me of Cristobal for a while) and then it mellows down to a dignified amber base.In 6 hours it smelled on my skin like sandalwood incense stick. There must be sandalwood in here.
It is not very original though...

EternalSunshine7
EternalSunshine7

Such a deep, rich, & marble-smooth concoction. I get the top notes and base notes...but the middle notes I completely skip over (which suits me just fine). It IS slightly spicy at the beginning--from the pepper & cinnamon I presume--but not so much that you'll grow hair on your chest! =P The myrrh seems to counter it & add a light, natural-smelling "perfume" to it---making it feel very feminine. After a while the spices mellow out, & it turns into a soft woodsy ambre somewhere in the middle. Then, after a few hours of wearing it, to my utter surprise (and JOY), I smell La Perla's Eclix (minus the soft citrus start! Strange I know...but that's exactly what I smell right now!) No spice, soft, sweet, & delicious. What a delight!

magie
magie

It starts rather sweet on me, not what I expected, but then it becomes warm and peppery.I love the cinnamon. It is a very pretty perfume, warm and seductive, but not to heavy. Perfect for fall. It is a very special scent, warm and cozy and yes, yummy. Ambre Gris was recommended by perfume friends at Fragrantica and they did a great job! I really like this fragrance.

rockrose
rockrose

This one is a winner. At first spray, I was immediately reminded of Theorema, but now that it has melted onto my skin a bit, I am smelling Cashmere Mist plus a few mellow spices. It is beautifully blended, and very warm, sensual and cozy. Even though it is summer, I am enjoying wearing it on this cool morning, and look forward to Ambre Gris as a regular in my fall rotation!

allexa27
allexa27

This is one of my favourite frags ever!It is very warm,sweet,deep, cinnamon-ambery frag.It stays with u the whole day and is sooo intoxicating and seductive ;)I acnt describe with words my love for it!I am happy that i got the biggest bottle!
9 points of 10

Adriana_87
Adriana_87

Very warming and cozy a perfect winter smell.Not to much spice,exactly enough to keep it smooth.Very good amber scent.

iMaverick
iMaverick

A smooth concoction this is! It starts off rich, warm and spicy--an amber sprinkled with pink pepper and cinnamon. Immortelle flower acts as a counterpoint to bring the notes out of its dark depths. Myrrh and tuberose heads the middle notes, fortunately its indolic components are nowhere to bee seen...the scent smoothes over considerably. Musk and Benzoin are now apparent, the salty, fruity, jasmine like nuances of ambergris start appearing, the scent ripens with a building sensuality. It is simply narcotic breathing it in. The smoky note of guaiac is mellow and never assertive.

Six hours later on me I smell remnants of the ambergris with rounded notes of benzoin. If you're an amber freak like I am, who appreciates amber from its woody resinous interpretation right up to the syrupy sweet ones, Ambre Gris is a choice for those who prefer the latter.

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

Ambre Gris is a very well-crafted scent with a definite progression of top notes, middle notes and base notes. I don't detect the florals at all, as others have mentioned, but the fragrance begins as a creamy sweet vanilla, moves to a smoky amber and gradually dries down to a soft woody musk. Having smelled a sample of beach-harvested ambergris, which is very stinky, I don't detect that as an individual note in this scent, thank goodness! But at the same time, I kind of sense its effects in the . . . roundness (for lack of a better word) of this perfume. Scents don't really have a shape for me, but the effect of Ambre Gris comes across as soft, sensual curves instead of sharp corners. It slinks and slides through the different layers, and lingers all day long. Vanilla and Amber lovers should give this one a try!

megannsmom
megannsmom

One of my all time favorites. Warm, buttery almost in the best sense. I don't get any of the floral notes either, just cinnamon tinted woods with the incredible ambergris.....a total aphrodisiac! Must work well with my chemistry, as I have actually had people follow me to ask what I am wearing!

jrjohnson1408
jrjohnson1408

I bought this perfume untested based on sandrina_bambina's excellent article and I am very glad I did. This is the warmest, creamiest amber fragrance I have ever smelt.
I do not get much of the floral notes at all. Just creamy amber, cinnamon, and woody notes (the myrrh and guaiac, I assume).
Bottom line: I love this scent!

desmondorama
desmondorama

I fell in love with this wonderful perfume and have to say that is extremely unisex or even more masculine. It reminds me of some of Tom Ford's Private Collection.

Don't be afraid to try it guys, you'll be pleasantly surprised!

cleopatras_boudoir
cleopatras_boudoir

This is perhaps, my absolute favorite fragrance since I discovered Shalimar many years ago. The fragrance has a wonderful, warm, and sweet odor, it lasts for a long time and my husband says its an instant aphrodisiac for him, me too! The composition of the ambergris, tuberose and benzoin is incredible. Amber Gris is a soft, snuggly fragrance, perfect to wear to bed and wear out on the town, people ask me what am I wearing, men tell me I smell soooo good. :)

Ambre Gris by Pierre Balmain 3.99 out of 5 based on 1039 ratings and 230 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Pierre Balmain Ambre Gris fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Pierre Balmain Ambre Gris, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Ambre Gris by Pierre Balmain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Ambre Gris by Pierre Balmain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.