Designers » N-Q » Chypre Floral « Groups

Ivoire Pierre Balmain for women

Ivoire Pierre Balmain for women
dislike

ozonic
Ivoire Pierre Balmain for women Pictures Ivoire Pierre Balmain for women Pictures

The designer house of Balmain, led by young creative director Olivier Rousteing, steps out with a new interpretation of its signature, classical chypre, floral and fruity perfume Ivoire de Balmain from 1979. The new Ivoire launches in July 2012 as a modern version of this super popular fragrances of the eighties, created in a way that respects and preserves the heritage and richness of the original and causes nostalgia.

Olivier Rousteing finds the new composition fascinating for its timelessness. The composition is developed by perfumers Michel Almairac and Jacques Flori. The fragrance opens with accords of mandarin, violet leaf and galbanum, leading to the rich floral heart of rose, jasmine, iris and ylang-ylang. Elegant vetiver and cedar, with pronounced patchouli, are all wrapped up in warm, precious and delicate vanilla.

New Ivoire is available as 30, 50 and 100 ml Eau de Parfum.

Mandarin Orange Galbanum Violet Leaf

Rose Jasmine Ylang-Ylang iris

Vetiver Cedar Patchouli Vanilla

Gold Issime

Ivoire Fragrance Reviews

deviation
deviation

Like most other reviewers , I agree that this smells like dove soap especially the mid notes. It starts off clean and dries down to dominant iris with galbanum and tint of vetiver and rose. As I smell this, I get an image of a woman walking her two cute little kids back from school on a sunny afternoon. Inoffensive and overall a pleasing perfume.

deb.martinez

Decided to revisit this for summer and its gorgeous! Sweet,clean,floral,bright heaven!

kocicka
kocicka

I love this scent ON MY SKIN!!! Its very clean smell and everyone make good comment about it.You can were this at work and also casual time. WONDERFUL!!!

EmmaZumba
EmmaZumba

Let me finally set the record straight.

In the search for the ultimate soap scent, don't be duped by those whom say this is the answer. It's true that Ivoire by Pierre Balmain smells just like Dove liquid soap, but understand that it smells like the FRAGRANCE USED in Dove liquid soap (found in every Premiere Inn hotel) - it doesn't smell like luxury French soap. I don't want to smell like the generic white cum-splat soap found in a budget hotel.

The other soap scent misconception that I run into when I say "luxury French soap" is when people suggest Jo Malone's 'French Lime Blossom'. I'm sure they only say it as it has the name French in the title, but it's not soapy at all. Laliques 'Amethyst' is another that I always see recommended to recreate a soap smell but it's just drug-store junk.

For that clean soap smell (like the smell of your clothes after you've kept bars of fine soap in your drawers) is Boadicea The Victorious 'Divine'. I'm still searching but this is the closest so far.

Sheza
Sheza

The reviews sum this up pretty well but I agree with those who don't get the "green" in this. I get a creamy, powdery rose and iris perfume with a slightly woody base. Nothing edgy or sexy, but you don't always want that. This is elegant, timeless and inoffensive. Great for feeling fresh and clean. Happy with my 30 ml but likely to move on after its finished.

AveParfum
AveParfum

Two words: dryer sheets

I literally sprayed this on and then ran down to turn on my dryer, and this could have been a dryer sheet that I tossed in with my clothes. I really don't get any particular notes. Can't "dryer sheets" be a note? Because this would be a soliflore.

There is also a gross, unsettling, wilted lettuce type of scent. Greatly dislike this perfume.

gillbert
gillbert

OMG, soooooo unexpected. Very nice composition. open up with mandarin, galbanum and violet. mandarin and violet leaf are prominent in the top note. citrus and very light powdery. in the heart note are rose, jasmin, ylang-ylang and iris. the scent is starting with warm and bit heavy powdery. then, in the base notes, there are vetiver, cedar, patchouli and vanilla. they are so warmy, woody, floral and light sweet, i feel i'm in the 80s. this perfume remind me my mum compact powder in the 80s.

hwon.kang
hwon.kang

Early 20s/ Female

I love this scent I just had to log in to write it.
It is a scent that younger women can wear elegantly but still not smell too mature.
I just love how comforting this scent is. It is soapy and powder to start but has flower base and hint of bitter scent that gives extra twist.

On the downside, the sillage is soft, my friends has to hug me to smell it.
I spray about five times around my neck, tips of my hair and my elbow but still not strong enough for people in close proximity.
Small disappointment.

But I strongly recommend it to younger girls who wants to smell elegant and classy

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

I bought this over a year ago during Paris Fashion Week when the fragrance was first launched. I own the classic 1980 Ivoire de Balmain which is a straight up chypre with woodsy and green notes to spare. This is not a reformulation but rather a newer modern version of the original. It is not a chypre. It is a floral vanilla fragrance. I don't know what other people are smelling but this is like a floral powder with vanilla. At the first spritz of Ivoire you get some citrus a light mandarin scent and then the fragrance turns into a floral bouquet of iris, rose, violets, jasmines and ylang-ylang. The flowers become powdery and soapy really quick and develops into a clean skin scent. It's soft and subtle and has very little life on me. I wanted to love this fragrance but I mostly just tolerate it. It smells good and it does wear like a very beautiful luxury soap but I prefer my fragrances to have something extra to give it some power. This is an ordinary every day type of scent just to wear when you can't find anything else to wear. It's like a clean freshly laundered outfit. Pristine, formal, conservative, nothing bad girl about it. I adore the original and it's my favorite winter time chypre along with Estee Lauder Aliage. I wish that scents like that could make a come back. This fragrance is nice but nothing to rave about. I have been complimented on it however especially by my friends at the Wall Street Rotary Club who are a lot older than I am. This is like a very clean straight laced perfectionist British lady who is afraid to break a nail.

hagertygal

Fragrant Desert: LOL....too funny! A few years ago, I got this when it first came out. My MALE co-worker put it on and HE got complimented all darn day long by the female customers. "Ooooo, you smell good. What IS that?" He then would giggle, point at ME, and say, "HER perfume." (Meanwhile, I got no compliments.)

Fragrant Desert
Fragrant Desert

Here is another case where I forgo the specific notes and go big picture. I May like this more than Chanel no. 5, and it was only supposed to be a fume I could wear to work! Personally, I got past any notion that a male cannot pull this off and accepted the challenge of coming off as virginal. Works for me. How can being clean and soapy not work on someone? Main like is that, to me, no note takes center stage here. I get an extremely well balanced smell which lasts much longer than I thought. It has presence but never feels anything but clean. Couple of comparisons. I love White Linen but nod towards Ivoire because it is just so pure. Best way to say it because even powder doesn't smell this pure to me. I can be a little devil but smell like an angel here. Another comparison is Glow by JLO. That one is legendary soapy clean but the musk gives it that almost naughty dirty which isn't in Ivoire at all. My preference is always loud and bold scents from powerhouse 80s. Yet, this fragrance holds its own among them and I just caught myself spraying it At Home. This was supposed to be just the 'safe for work then wear what I really want when I get home' buy. So, for ladies, yes, you will find this ultra feminine and 100% non-offensive. For certain gentlemen who can pull off the off-limits delights? This may be worthy of a test. This is just so against type for a guy that you might attract a lot of positive attention for being so clean and pure while remaining a stinky boy at heart. As for the original. I never knew thee. Maybe best because I'd rather not have to pick one over the other. My understanding is the legendary first had maybe some melancholy attached to its smell. Not here. This is truly a fresh start. Maybe the secret is in the magic where I wouldn't even say someone would smell this and say floral. They might just assume you have some sort of inherent divinity. I mentioned Chanel because I see this as of that caliber. Ivoire is clearly out of Glow's range but, happily, it also costs less than half a Chanel does.

hagertygal

Angeldaisy...... Is it possible you got the Eau'D Ivoire? That one is pink juice and DOES have fruit in it. Yet it is the same shaped bottle. The tan liquid Ivoire...smells like soap.

seaside
seaside

I, too, was so excited to receive this after reading the reviews. I expected a very elegant, soft scent -- calming.

Instead, I received a strong and irritating fragrance that caused that tightening in the back of my throat.

It's cloying (not so much in a sweet way but in a heavy, suffocating way) and very tenacious. I scrubbed it off with water and alcohol, and it's still going strong.

There is nothing elegant or sophisticated about this perfume.

Angeldaisy
Angeldaisy

i loved the idea of a clean soapy fragrance and snapped up a bottle of this recently to discover it is neither!
sharp, then sweet, then rosey, then sharp, then vaguely chypre. a little woods and vetiver. it kept changing and occasionally smelt quite nice. what is this stuff?
on me, it is strong! and could be a beautiful chypre floral if it not for some kind of "modernisation" Balmain saw fit to bring to an old classic. is that what they've done? my Mum wore Ivoire de Balmain in the 80's and i can smell that "inside" a jarring vanilla fruity sweetness.
it's almost like someone has mixed a JPG with a classic chypre.
i detected the ylang and rose quite clearly...and vanilla. why vanilla?
i think the fruity?-sweetness just doesn't go with the rest of the composition, as odd as eating curried chips with turkish delight on top.
sillage is massive and it lasted an entire evening. i was pleased when it eventually wore off. by then it was a strange sugared herbal jasmine.
i find Dove soap loathsome. i had a flatmate who used it and when she went away i used to hide it in a sealed plastic bag in the cupboard! so i could relish in a Dove-free bathroom for a couple of days. i didn't get much Dove soap with this, but it is almost as unpleasant :-(
Sorry Balmain.
i love Ambre Gris and i adore Balmain de Balmain. Balmain know how to create fantastic scents and perhaps my reaction to this is just down to it not being my bag.....

pchmad
pchmad

For me is a working place perfume. Smells clean (kind of soapy), soft, powdery and elegant, no sweet whatsoever. You can imagine that cute good looking girl that smells like she just left the shower and rubbed her skin with flower soap. Long lasting on the clothes it's drys out like floral, not so long lasting on my skin :(

Southern Blonde
Southern Blonde

This is a beautiful fragrance which I feel has an unusual and deceptive quality. I mean, patchouli? Galbanum? Really? Where is it? I couldn't pick up on either scent and I smelled myself all day long! Patchouli and Galbanum are usually found in older fragrance formulas, vintages, or mature women's perfumes. They are quite strong and heavy hitters and have a distinct greenery. This is missing that green scent and never feels like leaves or very herbal. This is a floral fragrance where the flowers take center stage. The showgirls in this revue are roses, jasmines, ylangylang and iris. You'd think rose would be the star of the show but iris appears to be taking all the applause. Why does iris smell stronger than a rose, at least in fragrance form? It's gorgeous, classy, lady like, sweet but somehow, sad, a woman in deep thought. This does not smell like the soap everyone says it smells like to me and even if it did, how is that a bad thing? It's a clean, comfortable, soothing scent. I can wear this to bed or spritz it on my lingerie. I love it. It's soft and cozy. I put this on after a shower or a bubble bath. Romantic, feminine, totally feminine. Guys can't pull this off. It does not remind me of Ivory Soap or Dove soap despite the name of the fragrance or the feeling people get. It's more like powder to me. It's like you put on a powder for the face and body after a bath. Something classic about it, like a Victorian woman at her toilette where she has her large gilded bath tub, her dressing table with body lotions, face cream, talcum powder puff and her perfumes that smell like flowers. So beautiful. This is the "junior" version of the vintage Ivoire de Balmain (1980) which I have never even smelled or tested. I will have to check that one out but I hear it's greener and more herbal. I hope it wears like tea I love how fragrances evoke comfortable domestic environments.

courant

This is an updated review. In the great many perfumes of my collection there are mostly mainstream 'good' perfumes such as Annick Goutals, Hermes, Guerlain and Chanel. Ivoire falls into my much loved budget section but I truly love the perfume and the bottle (for being Chanelesque) I still wear Ivoire (new) at least one day a week and I personally love the slightest touch of berry (it's like rose hip) that ensures it doesn't fall in to the floral fruity realms. Note to self: Get back up bottle.

soleia
soleia

Galbanum? Iris? Bitterness? This should have been right up my alley and a safe blind buy.

Except it wasn't. Ivoire (the new one, anyway) does smell like a luxury soap but I was expecting something more bracing and biting.

Instead, it is creamy and somewhat powdery and warm Unfortunately, it bothers me inexplicably and every time I have worn it, it ended up irritating me.

I have wondered about why this was a disappointment. I think there are three reasons: (a) a lack of greenness - I got powder and soap and cleanness, but no green whatsoever; (b) the violet leaf note irritates me; and (c) it comes off as synthetic on me.

I have kept my bottle so far because I tend to grow into things, but after the last few wearings, I decided to give it to a friend who loves it.

So lesson learnt: even if it looks good on paper, test first!

saguna
saguna

Raven Rhyme, I can say exactly the same. Why oh why? I only like the bottle. To me it doesn't even remind Dove soap, if it would, I would like it. To me it's harsh perfume and when I smell it I see times where there was not many scents, and women were using it, because it was the only available scent. I see some old french lady using it.
I tried to like it but it changes my mood so badly, that I don't want to smell it. I don't smell any luxury soap or citrus!
I will swap 30ml botle sprayed twice for some samples. This is how desperate I am to get rid of it :D

RavenRhyme
RavenRhyme

Why did I get this?! convinced by the reviews here probably, thinking it is somewhat a safe scent for everyday. Sure, if you like to smell like Dove soap all the time. And if only, it is as nice as Dove on the skin. It is better on clothes or linens, maybe.

I don't like it. So sad. :-(

Well, the bottle is sturdy, that much I can say. The seller shipped it without any bubble wrap and it was a bit loose on its own box. 'will try to sell it, if no takers, then- a cousin will get this as a christmas gift.

Froufrouish
Froufrouish

This amazing scent will always be in my collection. It is so comforting, so clean, so creamy....it seems to melt into your skin and embrace you all day. Non offensive in any way, just a warm and elegant. I spray this also at night, it really is so comforting that I feel like I just took a nice warm bath, my skin smells so clean. And that bottle, swoon <3

Cynicalwish
Cynicalwish

This is the cleanest scent I know. But it's not an "aseptic" and cold kind of clean, it smells like warm skin after a nice bath in Dove cream. I had a sample from a lovely Fragrantican and bought a full bottle.
It's the perfect scent for when you want to feel calm, clean and cozy. No schreechiness (the opening blast is a bit green, but it only lasts a minute), no harsh edges.
The lasting power is quite good, the sillage is moderate/soft, but it does envelope you in a gentle aura. I love it!

sueshow

I have a bottle for swap if anyone is interested PM me.

deb.martinez

Thank you fragranticans for your awesome opinions! Recieved my Ivoire in the mail! I love it! It was love at first spritz!!! Thank the good Lord it's nothing like Glow!!!!! Its sweet and clean and a bit green with some clean elegant soapiness too! Creamy and lovely! I finally found a good soapy,clean fume! 10/10
Oh..and the longevity is awesome! I feel like I could wear this anytime anywhere! Like right now for bed!!! :-)

perfumeaddiction
perfumeaddiction

This was a blind purchased based on the reviews. Also a lovely Fragrantican who knew I was looking pointed me to a sale on it so I bit the bullet and got it.

To be honest I was concerned. I had the original vintage Balmain and while it's a gorgeous well made fragrance it was just not for me. I just got this one today and as most have said it's a very fresh scent. In no way does it resemble it's vintage counterpart Ivorie De Balmain. In many ways I was expecting Ivory soap but I don't quite get that. I do get a soapy vibe but in an amazingly good and fresh perfume way. It is so soft, safe and gentle I can't imagine anyone not liking this, that is unless you prefer bolder less subtle scents. I am truly loving this one. Beautiful gentle safe aroma for anyone anytime!

I also wanted to update that this has good long lasting power. I am able to smell it on my clothing and skin all day long easily.

Layana
Layana

I blind bought Ivoire. Bought it directly from Balmain online. 100 ml as well! Talk about risk taking. I have no regrets, I love it. I have so much faith in Mr Almairac's compositions.

I have not tried the original so I am only judging the modern version. I think this is a very underrated perfume and very good value. It lasts so long on my skin without being overpowering. Honestly I get a very slight soapy smell. Most of the notes are floral drying down to this lovely very green warm note (galbanum?) with vanilla. It's fresh, elegant and unusual if you compare it to most department store scents. Ivoire 2012 should get more love.

mrsg34
mrsg34

A clean smelling, soapy everyday scent, I like it very much. I like quite spicy, oriental, stronger perfumes but this is nice when I want a nice quiet scent just for me.It is soapy but an expensive smelling soap, ideal for office wear, I'm glad I bought it.
EDIT: Just wanted to add that the longevity is really good!

sleepy*weasel

Second post: I liked this a lot initially, but after lots more samples and scents, I came back to it and all I could think was "soap" and nothing more - so although it's pretty and inoffensive, I won't be getting a FB, because my heart belongs to smokey, musky, spicy and floral scents. Ivoire is intensely, densely soapy and long-lasting, but it has no edge to it. Entirely up to you, if that is a good or a bad thing :)

DMS162002
DMS162002

I was unsure whether I'd love this but it is the most gorgeous clean scent ever. This is what a fresh perfume should smell like to me--warm and soapy without any citrus. A new favorite for sure.

sueshow

This is quite nice, very clean/soapy smell, which I love of course. Pretty good silage as well.

Leah lilly
Leah lilly

Perfect scent for the autumn. Soapy but in a soft way, floral, creamy and powdery. I like it from the first sniff.
It has a beautiful classic bottle too ♡ will buy it asap.♡♡♡♡

butfly23
butfly23

I have been given a 100ml parfum of this as a present. I do not like it. I find the scent sharp/hairspray and plastic on my skin. I don't know if it is the Iris, Galbanum or Violet leaf.
Don't detect rose or vanilla.
I have sprayed twice, still no good.
Hope to exchange or sell.

Beckylynn8881
Beckylynn8881

To me this fragrance smells purely of soap. Expensive French soap mind you, but personally I would rather this smelt like more natural fresh flowers. However, if you like perfumes that smell like expensive bar soap then you would probably love this! I enjoyed my sample but I probably wouldn't buy a full bottle just because I feel like I could get the same effect from scrubbing myself down in the shower with real soap.

ellina1984
ellina1984

Ivoire Balmain has been on my test list for months, because I couldn't find a shop carrying Balmain in my area. Yesterday, as I was browsing in a big cosmetics shop, I saw a shelf where the SAs seemed to have randomly placed all sorts of different brand bottles. I approached, and, miracle of miracles, there's Ivoire! I put the nozzle close to my nose. Not turned. It must be new! What a surprise, I wanted to jump up and down! Anyway, the scent:

As I spritzed on my hand, the first impression was heavenly:Crisp, fresh, bitter galbanum. Bliss. It brought to mind Chanel 19 EDT. At this point, I was praying that it wouldn't turn all floral on me, like Chanel 19 EDP. I browsed some more. Iris, light florals (theexact kind was non discernible to my nose), powder. Powder. More bliss. Soap. Luxurious, somehow creamy, soap. I was already in love. I bought it immediately, without waiting for the drydown, I was so smitten. Now, this could have gone horribly wrong in the drydown, but I was so lucky, because this remained gorgeous and absolutely refined until the end. Some vanilla joined the other notes in the drydown, and some light woody tones.

Can I stress any more how much I love it?

Toom_Snoopy
Toom_Snoopy

This is the best soapy scent on the market.
It's luxurious, elegant, soft, ladylike. The perfume reminds me of some expensive soap which is very calm and smooth. It's also well-blended and not harsh. I don't get any powdery scent at the drydown, just smooth, silky feeling. So lovely!

Paulie129
Paulie129

I sampled the original Ivoire many years ago and disliked the opening. The 2012 version of Ivoire is my preference.

This is a very feminine, clean, gentle green, soft floral ... so beautiful and elegant ... persistent (longevity is very good, even if sillage is not strong). Like the member Bouquet, it feels spa-like to me too, and calming, as opposed to prim and proper boring.

This fragrance smells expensive ... expensive like Chanel Beige, but without the price tag. It's quietly sexy (seductive) that when others (even strangers) get close enough they will ask what you're wearing (at least this has been my experience), making it a good scent for formal or intimate events.

I am enjoying this much more in the winter than in the heat of the summer, but it wears beautifully on summer nights. The bottle design epitomises the understated elegance of the fragrance itself (and I like the free twisting cap ... see, not overly prissy). Lovely.

It's worth a try.

Bouquet
Bouquet

I used to wear the original version and I loved it. This one is very different, but still has the feeling of class without crass.
I think I got an older bottle--it's a tester, but it's still very usable. This smells like a spa on me, or being wrapped in a cotton blanket still warm from the dryer. I think that's the cedar.
I think this version could be unisex.

lovelyhazel
lovelyhazel

The bottle is hefty and beautiful (even prettier in person, imo, anyway), and the scent is superb. It is very well blended, and I am having a hard time picking out individual notes. Some combo of iris, violet, rose and vanilla (sounds Guerlain-ish....of course I love it!), that gives the effect of being bathed in Dove soap and holding a floral bouquet. Very soft and velvety, no sharp edges at all. I've been wearing it to bed, but it would be a perfect daily fragrance, if you're looking for one.

oks-oks
oks-oks

Very clean and soapy sweet floral. Rather linear, does not change much. Elegant and classy? Yes. To my taste, it smells retro, ladylike and stiff upper lip. Not sexy but not offensive either. Very well blended, it's hard to say any particular note in it. I would not normally use this kind of fragrance but I have a mini of this one and am quite happy to use it when I am in the mood for something like this.

LIN
LIN

Oh my god!!! I never had this high hopes for a blind purchased perfume as from this one! I was sooo curious about this fragrance and ordered it online because they don't sell it anywhere in my country's stores. I was very much afraid that it's not as good as the reviews say and was sure that i eighter LOVE it or HATE it. OK... now for my experience: This fragrance is a beauty!!! I would describe it like tender musk ( though it's not listed as a note here ) over white floral vibrant notes. This fragrance is kinda different then any other in the market and that's why i can't really say what is similar to it. It's very close to the skin and after a while becomes like skin fragrance and not a perfume ( in a good way ), but don't get me wrong, it does own a good longetivity and doesn't fade so soon. It smells like a luxury solid french soap, like luxury body butter/lotion, it's a maturе fragrance but yet keeps you young and up to date ( not like 80's or 90"s frags ). It's very feminine and soft floral, makes you feel covered with a tender blanket after laundry, or maybe the smell of a baby after shower :) Oh and another important thing to mention - The first scent that you get is not the one that will develop after 10-20 minutes! This perfume has a tendency to change itself after a while and it will get softer and other notes will pump up.. so i recommend to try it before you buy it! But one thing i can say - the secondary notes that you will smell will be much better then the oppening, so be patient it will be worth it!!

La_Vie_En_Rose
La_Vie_En_Rose

Ivoire was one of the first "grown up" scents that I ever purchased for myself, while working in Manhattan in the 80's. I have never been a fan of scents with a heavy silage, as I choke in the wake of others who don't know how to apply their scents and I would hate to do that to someone else. I purchased this new formulation blindly ... and am I glad I did. I can't recall what the original Ivoire smelled like, but I can recall how much I loved wearing it.... and that hasn't changed. This is a scent that is extremely feminine, soft, quietly sexy and just makes me feel beautiful. All of the notes blend so beautifully and I'm glad that there is just a hint of vanilla. To sum up this scent with one word I would have to agree with JodieW1992 Ivoire is elegance!

AnnaT
AnnaT

i love this perfume. It is a very clean elegant perfume with abundant character. it is not soft feminine intoxicating seductress. it is strong, simple, bright, straightforward and efficient career women.

Unlike the currently popular fruity or floral frangrance, this is not juicy or sweet. There is no particular note which stands out. if there is any perfume which makes me feel dry, clean and cool after heavy travel and exposure under the summer sun, that would be this!

the bottle is very elegant as well. Well representing the mood of the scent inside.

i don't think the scent is similiar at all but somehow it remains me a bit of CK Eternity. This can be a unisex perfume.

Edit: I since got hold of a year 2012 bottle. The scent is rounder smoother and warmer than the more recent bottle I think. I prefer the older one.

p.s. the more i wear it, more i smell lily?

Patternatter
Patternatter

I adore this. It's subtle and classy. It's one I could wear any day for any occasion. Very comforting. It's inoffensive and almost like you're not wearing perfume at all, just makes you smell real nice.

Eira Sol
Eira Sol

First of all, this bottle is pure class.

Ivoire starts of with a sharp note, which after a little while calms down and turns in to a classy, green, clean and quite "strict" smell. It´s also a bit powdery. When the base comes out it´s has a slight sweetness to it as well. Ladylike!

I like it for work in spring and summer. It´s what I reach for when I don´t know what to wear. Bonus: It`s an absolute bargain!

22Sasa22
22Sasa22

I am really sad

I blind bought Ivoire (2012) depending on notes and reviews here.
I really had high hopes and really wanted to like it.

It turned up very soapy and sharp for my taste. Not as sophisticated as I hoped it would be.

Advice: you HAVE to try it before buying. Definitely not for everyone.

ankaa
ankaa

I do not write negative reviews on perfume. De gustibus non est disputandum - why should I write about something that I personally don't like?
Unfortunately Ivoire is an exception - after beautiful opening "this" turns into an awful stinky tragedy. Chemical plastic burned on my skin, leaving the worst smell ever - that's me and Ivoire.
I really regret it because the opening is very promising - sweet, creamy feminine. I don't know if it's combination of galbanum and vetiver, or something else - to avoid this combination in future.
I noticed two pros - good longevity (that's was awful on my skin ;-) !) and a pretty, classic bottle.

I tried Ivoire and I think it must be the latest version, so it doesn't probably smell like the old one.
Anyway it gives the idea. To my nose this is a very very classic type of perfume, very ladylike, clean, a bit severe on surface with a warm heart. Aldeides are not listed but it smells very aldeidic in the opening with a sharp edge that mellow afterwards. It is soapy. I bet the older one was less soapy. Violet leaves are well present, but this is a typical perfume where you smell the whole thing, not many separate notes. For me it's the epithome of a classy, knowing, elegant and assertive lady and I need to say around 50, that age when you know who you are and you don't compromise easily.
A winner.

rissy76
rissy76

I ordered the vintage but got the flanker. Several times I smelled to see if I could fall in love with it. I had the package already packed to return it but something made me opened it again to smell it again. It took me about two days to really love it. This perfume makes me complete. It stands in contrast to what I normally wear so it is such a nice addition to my collection. Feminine, innocent, clean and very soft.

chanka
chanka

nice soapy and clean
dry down is as some one already wrote it like dove shower gel or soap
exactly the same ....
very elegant and clean perfect for everyday work fragrance

update:

I am proud to announce that I am new owner of this fragrance
its is just "must have" perfume
completely different than others and just perfect fragrance
I liked it from the beginning but didn't buy it but I couldn't stop think about it and went back to bought it and I am happy I did so

LizzieDee
LizzieDee

I would agree with everyone who described this as a soapy floral. Soapy in a good way - clean and fresh. For me, there is also a very subtle undertone of leather. Lovely!

lkha37
lkha37

Class in a bottle! Makes me feel really elegant. It starts off smelling like expensive finely milled soap and dries down to a sweet woody floral. Perfect with a shift and pearls!

Martaynd
Martaynd

Bought my bottle today. I "test wore" it on several occasions, did my research and considered for over a month before making the purchase.

I am having trouble trying to understand what it is about this one that I really like; why I kept being drawn back to it. I couldn't forget it. It is soooo different from any other fragrance I currently own. And I own probably over 200! This one is a conundrum for me.

I like it because it's different. Because it keeps me wondering about it. For me, it is very green, fresh, clean, floral, elegant, feminine, highbrow. I will say that I don't feel this is a GLAM fragrance. I think I will be able to experiment with this one. I think I will be able to wear it as a base and spritz different fragrances to add a unique facet. I'm thinking maybe a bit more sweetness on some occasions and a different kind of floral on others ?? I also like it because I doubt that I will be smelling this on anyone else.

My plan is to wear this anytime. It is currently January 2015 and I'm enjoying it in this cold weather. I'll be interested to see how it works out as the weather warms up in spring and summer. I think I can wear this casually or dressy, daytime or evening.

I am hoping that the longer I wear it, the more I will figure it out and continue to like it.
I bought it to add to my collection and to expand my comfort zone.

It might be timeless, but in my opinion it's incredibly sharp and soapy.
It's clean smelling, which is a nice thing but I wish there was something a little more.
I can't consider it sexy or playful, it's rather conservative.
I guess it's possible to get used to it, but i'm not buying it.

sleepy*weasel

Beautiful creamy, soapy floral, linear, completely acceptable in the office or at a meeting. No stridency, no harshness, no "statement" other than "I smell clean and feminine." I'm testing the new version, not the vintage, which I'd be interested to try. This has to be the best soapy floral I've tried, no aldehyde headache with this one.

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

Review for a new version. Very soapy, but pleasant, linear type, nutural and not offensive office perfume. I just got a bottle in a swap, I hope I will use it for a while.

alex.the.girl
alex.the.girl

I ordered this before trying it solely because of the reviews for it here. I generally gravitate to masculine, woody-vanilla-spicy scents. When I go for something more feminine, I love a very well blended fragrance that isn't too heavy on florals. I purchased this hoping that I would find it to be clean without being aquatic, light but still interesting, and pretty but not overtly feminine. This is perfect! As others have said, it smells of fancy French soap and clean, warm skin. I think it could be worn by a male. I prefer this on my skin as it doesn't have the same effect sprayed on clothing. I just want to bath in this, it's so wonderful. Thanks Fragranticans for selling me on this!

Oh and yes the bottle is lovely, fits right in with my Chanels. I'm interested in trying more from this house now.

Loubella
Loubella

Wooah! This is way to strong and sweet on me. Very overpowering,sickly and I think its the vanilla which is putting me off because all of the other notes are favourites of mine especially Galbanum,Iris and Patchouli which I can't detect in this at all.From the reviews of the original,this is nothing like it, not green,woody and aldehyde as I was expecting but cloying and quite generic,shame,will have to track down a sample of the vintage stuff!

Julia1506
Julia1506

Aristocratic scent. Luxurious, rich, elegant, feminine and gentle. Clean and soft, floral and powdery. All the components are beautifully blended to create a symphony of classical notes. Of course it is a vintage type of perfume, but not an old-fashioned. This is the scent for a real lady. I think it will be appropriate year-round, for daytime and evening use as well. It smells ten times more expansive than its price. Real gem.

It was blind bay.
This is not my common taste but at first moment when I sens the smell I knew- this is love at first sight.
Ivory is elegant, calm, gentle, it's round you and tell- you are women, you don't need intensiv perfum just wear me and let I be your silent companion.
Simply brilliant.

RosieRachel
RosieRachel

Ivoire is a vintage floral with a modern twist. I absolutely adore it. For me, this perfume has a lovely feeling of elegance, beauty and timelessness.

On my skin, there's a luxurious, clean, green and vintage-smelling floral, whilst the dry-down is all about the powdery, soapy woodsiness. Sillage is about moderate, although I feel this slightly too strong for office wear (I recommend Eau d'Ivoire, if you wish to find something more office appropriate). Otherwise, it's the ideal daytime fragrance to spritz regardless of the season, and it's also suitable for special occasions; and not to mention the gorgeous, super chic bottle... everything about this suits me perfectly. A definite must have for me!

Maodo

Can't stop sniffing. This is amazing. Ivoire is intoxicating, seductive and well-balanced in every possible way. But I am talking about the vintage version now. Don't know how the new version is. I am afraid to try it after smelling this georgious gem from the earlier days.

ingelot
ingelot

Ivoire de Balmain..It lingers all day long. It's my perfume whenever I desire to feel feminine, soft, kind & sweet :o))

Julie Billi
Julie Billi

Gentle, femimine composition reminds me very much of Chloe EDP !!!

nebbe
nebbe

This is my Noa. It's got the atmospheric, softly floral, musky, soapy character that just suits.

Could be worn anywhere, but I like it best for office, weekend errands, Sunday morning. Not demanding, just easy.

Update 7/7/15:
I am surprised, this is wonderful in the summer heat. I like it fine in cooler temps, but in this hot weather it is like emerging from a shower, fresh and cool. Lovely, with soft edges and loaded with class. A definite love this summer, in heavy rotation.

chickenpotpie
chickenpotpie

For me, this is a very soft (though very persistent) floral. I really really enjoy this! Lasting power is significant at 8+ hours though I have to say, I don't know that I would want to wear this on a really hot day.

The woods here really ground the scent to keep it from flying away. Its just enough, not overboard at all. In fact, NOTHING in this scent is overboard.

unlike Ivoire de Balmain, this one is quite an easy wear. I LIKED IdB but the opening killed me every time.

I don't get a lot of powder however, considering that iris can read as powder almost all the time, but on me, it does so quite late in the drydown.

I wore it 2 days in a row, which should tell you how much I hate it...lol

Special thank you to kvan for the gift bottle.

dsty
dsty

I've wanted to write a review of Ivoire for months, but it's so hard to put into words. I love it so much, but I can't really explain why. I found it rather by accident; someone who loved it mentioned the name, so when I bought another perfume I got a sample of this, without having looked up notes or anything. At first I didn't feel strongly about it either way, it just reminded me of Dove soap a lot, but the more I wore it the more I fell in love.
It makes me question my knowledge of my own taste, because based on the notes I never would have marked this as interesting; all those flowers? patchouli?! I guess I'm going to have to widen my field of vision...Although maybe it helps that this is so well blended; I really can't make out any individual note. It just smells whole, perfect.

The opening phase is wonderfully clean and cool; green and floral, quite soapy and powdery, but in an interesting way, very luxurious. I like to put it on after a shower, it makes me feel more sophisticated instantly. As it dries it becomes sweeter and even more powdery; it's really wonderful througout.

I would never have expected it, but it looks like this has become something of a signature scent for me; I love it enough to wear it all the time, and it works for all occasions. It's crowdpleasing enough for work and interesting enough for an evening out. On top of that, it works in all seasons; all day in spring and fall, at night in summer and in the morning in winter.

smalltownbeatnik
smalltownbeatnik

I don't care for the bitter green opening but by the time the heart notes surface I'm in love. I love the classic lines of the bottle. It looks much more expensive than it really is. Surprisingly long-lasting. Great blind buy based on Fragrantica reviews!

SamanthaRenee
SamanthaRenee

Where has this been for so long? This is one of those underrated scents you seldom hear about. Im very glad it has finally passed my way and caught my attention. I love these posh, upscale soapy scents. They don't scream for attention like some do. This one whispers soft and low. It's understated and happy being in the background, a humble wallflower. Unique and clean, it stands apart from many of those center staged today. A keeper, indeed.

Silences
Silences

I have a crush on this perfume. It is an elegant woman's perfume. Yes, it smells soapy and powdery but we are not talking bar soap and baby powder, think five star hotel in Paris. It is only sold as an EDP I believe so it has respectable lasting power and sillage. I wore 80's Iviore as a teen and they aren't alike, but they are both fantastic.

Pixie1104
Pixie1104

Clean, powdery perfection. Like a soft, oversized cashmere jumper.

Very similar to She Wood by DSquared.

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

(Thanks to @Yohji for generous decant!:)

As almost everyone has mentioned here, Ivoire is a simple yet elegant soapy perfume, so there aren't any surprises on first sniff

I find it slightly bitter herbal in feel, a very light chypre effect – dry, astringent, like Chablis or a dry martini maybe. (I'm supposing that's partly galbanum, but it's very light here). As it dries down it becomes gentler and slightly more floral, though it never loses its soapy lather feel.

I picture someone wearing a beautifully cut linen shirt or dress, drinking a dry iced martini in a hotel over-looking an exotic stretch of beach at noon.(Basically I’m thinking Vesper Lynd and James Bond in Casino Royal!). I don't know how this perfume has acheived the 'ozone' effect, but it does feel airy, so there must be a touch of a synthetic something or other to achieve that effect, but again, it's not harsh, you won't get any head-ache inducing aqua notes ala L'eau d'Issey!

Or, looked at from another perspective, you might envisage a chambermaid stacking freshly laundered cotton in said exotic hotel! But it’s very well laundered and aired cotton or linen, and who isn’t uplifted by that aroma? (Mind you, if you're a chambemaid this might just smell like a hard day's work - I chambermaided in my student days, but those are distant enough for me to enjoy Ivoire!)

I like a soapy perfume aesthetic because although it has ‘clean’ connotations which sounds a bit boring, it also has the aura of someone well-groomed and the suggestion of showered and cared for skin. I know I find this soapy aroma attractive on men in summer (Penhaligon's Castille is ideal!) particularly those wearing good shirts with sleeves rolled up to reveal lovely tanned forearms! So I imagine it works for women in that sense too.

Here in Edinburgh and the rest of the UK we’ve had what’s called a mini heatwave in the past few days. I was overseeing an exhibition in a bright but stuffy, un-air conditioned gallery space, wearing a loose linen dress. I received my generous decant of Ivoire a day after this and thought ‘damn, that would have been perfect!’. As it was I wore Prada’s Infusion de Fleur d’Oranger – another soapy (though far more floral) perfume.

Such perfumes are made for stuffily hot days when you want to keep your cool, and Ivoire is an excellent example of this soapy group, mostly because it has hints of the outdoors too.

Excellent longevity and moderate sillage. I'm definitely tempted to buy a full bottle to see me through whatever's left of summer!

EternityFresh
EternityFresh

Ok this is REALLY GREAT STUFF and needs a lot more love than what I'm seeing here! Is it possible to be this unique and go so unnoticed? If you Fraganticans haven't tested this one, my suggestion is DON'T because you will fall in Love and have to buy it on the spot!

PS... if any of you perfume lovers are like me, I'm sure that you are enticed but what I just said and are heading over to the nearest Neiman's to try this beauty out! This SCENT ADDICTION IS CRAZY! Isn't it? Lmao

dgus82
dgus82

My mothers colleague gifted this is to me. It isn't something I would normally go for, but I love it! Someone said the longevity is poor, but I find that it sticks around a long time. The bottle is older... Ivoire seems very classy to me, the perfect look to go with this would be a tan, cream colored cashmere, pearls, and perfectly placed hair. Maybe some hosiery lol. When woman dressed or dress femme. It is a little powdery, chypre, floral, tiny bit musk I suppose, or mossy? I know the notes are listed but this is what I pick out. Clean yet heavy... Me likey.

lirael00
lirael00

Love it! The longevity is great, it lasts almost all day on me. Ivoire is that perfect combination of fresh/clean and sexy/feminine smell, all in one. It's perfect for springtime. The opening is greenish then it settles into more powdery scent. Very refreshing fragrance, one of the best in the soapy/powdery category. Not offensive to people around you, but be sure they will still remember how good you've smelled even after you leave the room.

dormir6

On my skin this is very longlasting. It lasts and lasts all day. While I can't feel J. Lo's Glow after an hour.

ComfyCat
ComfyCat

Ivoire, the scent of pale crispness and nights in ivory satin:

Refreshing without being aquatic,
caressing but far from entering cloying candyland,
impeccable cleanliness and comfort of high end soap and creme, ageless and elegant. This sums it up pretty well for me.

If you are looking for a sophisticated clean pamper scent more feminine than Infusion d'Iris, do give Ivoire a try. It starts quite cool, which makes me consider it even for summer use and dries down more to a feeling than a scent, melting body cream on warm skin with an oh so delicate hint of cool satin sheets on warm skin.
Noteswise I do pick up some green leafy note with a hint of fruity, zesty mandarin in the beginning, galbanum, the iris, a soft dewy rose in the drydown, very well blending in and out off the overall picture.

A quiet, tranquil scent of comfort with enough elegance to be worn any time and any occasion. While typing this, my local radio is playing 'Nights in white satin' what a nice match! An ivory shade of satin, indeed :-)

dazzlin9
dazzlin9

I feel nothing in an hour.. just blindly bought the 3,3floz 2 weeks ago and it almost empty because i should spray it again and again. I love the scent, so fresh and different from others but i'm disappointed with the longevity and sillage

Frayja
Frayja

Dear Ioli19,your review is what I had in my mind-and in my nose!A great perfume,indeed !

Ioli19
Ioli19

Adore this one! Classy, elegant, feminine. It's very creamy and soapy, lots of comforting powder! Makes you feel cozy! Would not offend anyone, you could wear for any occasion and I think any season! I don't get any orange or jasmin, I get lots of iris, violet and mostly galbanum!
The bottle is pure class!
Moderate sillage, longevity on me is around 2-3 hours, the only drawback but am happy to reapply!

Dear Moado
I apologise for not answering your question, I did not read it properly. I feel that it is the green in the vintage Ivoire that could be said to approach Vent Vert. I have them both and can feel some similarities.
To my nose the new version of Ivoire has nothing to to do with Vent Vert.

Maodo

Thanks No5forever2 for your commend, but my question is: which Ivoire comes nearest to the green spirit of Balmain's Vent Vert? Is it the vintage one or the reformulated one?

Because it seems that Ivoire can be compared with Vent Vert regarding the green components in it. But which Ivoire is it? I really like to know.

For Maodo:
This is a reformulated version, definitely not the vintage one. Hope it helps.

Maodo

Is it this new reformulated Ivoire or the vintage Ivoire (with zebra striped package) that has the closest approach to the harsh green of Balmain's Vent Vert?

Does anybody know? I really want to know. Thank you so much.

MLK
MLK

I fell in love with the soft, powdery notes of this fragrance. I can spray as much as I like and I won't get a headache. Makes me feel clean and fresh, just out of the shower...very easy to wear and won't offend anyone at the office.

lucifera
lucifera

my favorite soapy scent,it's way better then the cliche chanel n5! longetivety and sillage are impressive

Planet_X
Planet_X

Ooo, I adore it, maybe not modest to say but my skin LOVES it. And I love myself wearing it.
It has ability to get stronger every half an hour and changes slightly, which to me is characteristic of a good quality of fragrance.
Creamy-woody on me, with just a hint of floral. Very feminine, languorous, very calm and confident due to the violet and powdery iris.
Harmonising Ivoire.

Emma0714
Emma0714

Soapy, clean and fresh. Dries down to a more floral and woodsy fragrance, but keeps the "aura of clean".

Very wearable and elegant. Feminine.

This reminds me of summer in Sweden. Taking a bath in the evening in a lake, using only a bar of soap to clean your skin an hair and then drying in the last sunrays sitting on the jetty with a big fluffy bathrobe. Makes me very nostalgic!

And of course the design of the bottle is impecabble. This one next to my "Mon Jasmin Noir" and "Shalimar" makes me swoon. Trés elegant.

PastelMoon
PastelMoon

This version of Ivoire is very clean, subtle, elegant, lightweight, yet lasting, inoffensive yet noticeable.
Cool and soothing, a pleasure to wear.
Smells mostly like soap/galbanum, iris and vetiver on me. So refreshing after cold winter months.

StellaDiverFlynn
StellaDiverFlynn

Balmain Ivoire opens with green, dewy violet leaf and mandarin peel. This crisp opening fades rather quickly, revealing a soft blend of iris and galbanum rooted on vetiver. The iris and galbanum here are polished, with only a tiny amount of earthy bitter facet left within. The overall effect is cool and clean, but not in the aquatic way. The texture is powdery and soapy, but very gently so. It feels like a sort of 'unscented' lotion after a cool shower in a hot day. Actually not only the feeling, but literally smells so. I also detect a sort of talcum powder scent.

In the late drydown, after about 6 hours, the rose and ylang-ylang seem to be more prominent. The scent is sweeter and warmer, but still has a cool iris and galbanum undertone.

The sillage of Ivoire is moderate and the longevity is at least 10 hours. I have never smelt the original Ivoire, but the currently version I quite like it. Well, for an iris and galbanum centered fragrance, indeed there are other more interesting choices. But as a clean powdery fragrance, Ivoire is well constructed and easy to wear. If you happen to be looking for an understated, modern, clean skin scent, Ivoire worths a try.

Powerfull!!!
Unique!

Cannelline
Cannelline

Agree with Shwets: very reminiscent of a bar of Dove soap. But with more vetiver.

This was a blind buy, and at first I was disappointed and surprised. I had thought it would be much lighter and fresher - younger. This, for me, felt almost old-fashioned. However, I have grown to like this more and more, and it actually made me "get" the thing about iris, vetiver and galbanum. A gateway to The Classics!

ancaan
ancaan

Well.. hello gorgeous! First, the bottle is very chic and elegant. I am a sucker for square-ish bottles and this one is among my favorites. This was a blind buy for me, based on your reviews, ladies. THANK YOU! I love the smell of this perfume. Sharp, soapy, woody, very elegant. I will definitely wear this in spring and summer.

henri345que
henri345que

I never tried the original one, but this new version is not bat at all. It reminds me of some old florals that were soapy, woody and that had the floral part very dry and sober. I expected it to be maybe fruity due to the color, but it's not. It opens with a faint aldehydic suggestion, a little bit soapy and bitter, and then turns into a dry floral. The base is woody on me and the vetiver is what calls my attention the most. It's very subtle indeed, they could do a more intense version.

Shwets
Shwets

I instantly thought of a rougher version of Dove cream bar!
Its a lovely scent and lasts long. If you like your soaps creamy sweet and fresh then this is a great one.

crescentsho
crescentsho

Woody and powdery,expensive smell. Clean. It has good longevity +8hrs and nice bottle.
Don't blind buy this one

stinkydog
stinkydog

More of a question than a review. I LOVED old Ivoire - so much that I once ordered perfume from Paris. I read somewhere that France does not allow the export of actual perfume anymore. Am asking if anyone knows if the actual perfume is still in existence.

I am still using some old formula EDT... I am suspicious of new versions of many scents - which seem to be adding patchouli as a base ingredient, perhaps because of the prohibitions on use of various animal products and the need for something - I do not know the correct word, but deeper and muskier.

Anyway so IS there perfume and WHERE?

icecube
icecube

Why not put a new name on a new perfume instead of letting customers be confused about it.
Not a good marketing move in my eyes.
Will review the perfume when I get it in one week.

Superfresh! Lots of a-rich-woman-soap-feeling, in a gooood way. I don't love Ivoire but I like it alot!

Superfräsch! Massor av rik-kvinnas-tvål-känsla, på ett riktigt bra sätt. Jag älskar inte Ivoire men jag gillar den skarpt!

@SadieBluesLady
There is no rule of thumb to say that Chypre = Oakmoss

mona84
mona84

This was my first ever perfume, which I had stupidly bought blind. I thought it wasn't too bad a perfume at first, light, powdery and almost detergent-like in nature. I wanted something that was inoffensive and would work well in a contained, air-conditioned environment (e.g. an office). But as it developed on my skin, it led to that balmy note that one of the previous reviewers had mentioned and I couldn't get it off my skin fast enough.

I persevered and wore it a few more times, spraying it in my hair and at every opportunity, all the better to acclimatise myself to it. Alas, each time I wore it, I had to hold my breath as it reminded me somehow of Febreeze or some other masking scent which only made me want to take a shower and give myself a good scrubbing.

I have since given it away to a friend of mine who has given it the affection and appreciation it truly deserved, such as I was unable to provide.

SadieBluesLady
SadieBluesLady

I continue to be baffled by how these perfume companies can get away with calling a scent that does NOT contain oakmoss a chypre?!! Now that is something that the IFF SHOULD ban and stop hassling us removing those perfume elements that we love so much.

mjkpecwt
mjkpecwt

Again, another new wine in an old bottle! Is it that difficult to think a new name for a new fragrance? The new juice doesn’t have any connection to the lovely 1980’s Ivoire, why still wanted to use the same name?

The original 1980 version is a classic Chypre perfume, the new 2012 version is clearly a light floral, what a chaos! However, it is very suitable for Asian aesthetic standards — light with no surprise.

A good mix of soft floral with a bit of greenish violet leaves. The longevity is just OK not fantastic. The three notes is quit balance. The floral combination in the heart notes does not have the depth and strange to form a good support. Base notes are also just ok. All in all, the entire perfume scattered quickly, there isn’t a center of gravity.

Balmy, balmy, balmy! At least on my skin. After some time it is better, but still, too nauseating to my taste.

myjebo2012
myjebo2012

This sample smells so devine and I'm lucky to have a sample of it. Its smells exquisite and exciting. If I wear this then folks would mistakenly think I'm rich. Its a very very nice frag and a must have if you won't to make a statement!

flowers-in-the-springtime

I was rather blown away by this perfume as it's smells so damn good!!
I never got a chance to smell the original, and maybe that's a good thing as I have nothing to compare it with, but this little beauty is very vintage, classic and timeless.
The initial spritz is a little peppery and woody before the violet makes an appearance. This perfume is all about the violet, as she plays centre stage even when the Jasmine and yang-ylang try to sneak in.
I can barely smell the patch which is extremely well behaved in this composition so I would say that if you're not much of a patch lover, you may still love this perfume.
I get a vague undercurrent of a soft vanilla but violet dominates. The whole composition is wrapped around a sprinkling of soft powder.
This perfume is simply glorious! It disappears for a few minutes and then it reappears with the most delicious scent just reminding you that it's still there.
Ivorie is the epitome of French chic in all it's glory. If I had to sum up this fragrance in one word, it would be 'elegant'.
The longevity is amazing because just when you thought this had settled down it reappears and wafts heavenly aromas under your nose.
I give this 11/10, I simply love it!

sandrajj
sandrajj

Got myself 2 bottles of 100 ml of this wonderful juice. Years ago, I loved Ivoire de Balmain, and now I love Ivoire Balmain. Just as elegant and subtle, if not more so,than the fragrance from the past. And the bottle is just classy!!!
Silage is wide, longevity is 8 hours and counting...

LOVE!!!!!!!

Amazing scent.

MyFairLady
MyFairLady

This was my love at first smell. Very elegant, classy powdery scent with flowers on top (which is the best combination for me).

amelie
amelie

It has absolutely no resemblance to the original Ivoire, which was my signature for years. Ivoire(new) smells delicate just for a minute, soon turns into strong floral that smells wonderful but after few hours. Too much iris and violet leaf. with ylang ylang..couldn't even smell other notes listed. I's not soapy in a way that I like (like most aldehydic do), it's just too floral, too heavy and too modern ...although I must admit, has that typical creamy Balmain touch.My mom took a large bottle and enjoy it, and I have 30ml I'd like to swap...

Angel in the South
Angel in the South

I took a huge gamble and bought a 100ml bottle as a blind buy from my usual on line supplier. I am so pleased that I took the chance as it is a wonderful perfume. It is so different from the ones that I have been buying recently. A wonderful clean, fresh, green perfume. It is not in your face but lingers on the skin like a babies kiss. The bottle is very chic and timeless. You can always tell quality and sophistication and this beautiful perfume has both in abundance.

Wilka
Wilka

Timelessness: that's the Word! I bought it a few days ago. I bought a 30 ml flacon, but I'm planning to buy a 50 ml one, just to keep it. I think a woman can wear this fragrance since her late 20s till she's 95, 100 or even more!!! This one could be my everyday Autumn-Winter fragrance from now on.

Juma
Juma

You can find some similarities to "old" Ivoire - there I found unwearable Cammomile and I swop it immediately. This one is more elegant, soft-creamy and sophisticated, even soapy.There are some whifs of chammomile too, but in sweet way and well blended. At opening bothers violet leafs(I am not a fan of them, very bold in MyQueen, IMO)but they fade away in 10 min.

It was less than a month ago that I tested the vintage version of Balmain's Ivoire. Now following on from that, I have come to sample the latest 2012 version of Ivoire.

Is it wrong for me to say that I actually prefer the reformulated Ivoire? It might be less of a chypre, less interesting in a sense, yet I somehow prefer it this way. This Ivoire is more to my tastes.

Notes of galbanum, violet leaf and rose are still present in Ivoire, however the composition has been made less complex and ultimately more feminine. It smells like a soapy, crisp chypre to my nose.

Now sold in major department stores, some may be thinking that Balmain is a totally new fragrance house. This new Ivoire has made this brand appear fresh and current. Although I enjoy this fragrance, I promise not to forget the history of Balmain and the classics that have spanned generations.

Ivoire 2012 is still a very classy scent, as sophisticated as a pair of silk gloves. Hopefully the younger crowd will grasp on to this fragrance. It's about time that chypres made a comeback.

Ivoire lasts reasonably well on the skin and the projection is moderate but not cloying. Like its predecessor I probably wouldn't buy it before testing it first. It is easier to like, yes, but it's still one of those fragrances that demand a serious person to pull it off.

bond_girl1979
bond_girl1979

Out of all my collection, this is my very favourite bottle in terms of the packaging: classic, square and gorgeous - like something out of a 1950's film that a posh Grace Kelly would take off a dresser and squirt. The juice itself is both floral and quite soapy. Orange blossom, Jasmine, white petals and aldehydes blast the skin and a soapiness kind of takes over. Eventually it warms into a nice, cosy vanilla which settles on the skin. The sillage and longevity are quite good. My only bugbear with it is that it is a tad on the soapy side. I will forgive though because I just LOVE the bottle design. Better for summer months and day time as it is a fresh, mostly floral scent.

Vahagn
Vahagn

The bottle is simple, but beautiful and harmonious. It is warm, a little "bored" perfume. For me, this beautiful bouquet is dominated by languid rose, intense, warm notes of patchouli and powdery vanilla, and in base notes can be faintly heard wet wood, as in the Dsquared Wood. In disclosing, the bouquet becomes similar to Love, Chloe Chloe, but it is more delicate, more vanilla and less honey. Listening to this parfume I imagine a brunette restrained from the outside, but with explosive Inside! Longevity and sillage are good.

incrediblemelk
incrediblemelk

To be honest I was mainly attracted by the incredibly sophisticated packaging; it looks like an Upper East Side calling card. Maybe it's just the associations of the name, but to me it smelled like expensive soap; clean and with an almost masculine aromatic undertone. I recently saw Woody Allen's new film Blue Jasmine, and this perfume strikes me as the kind of perfume Cate Blanchett's character might have worn.

Lazaro
Lazaro

Do you ever bear about a explosion of sensuality love and passion in just one spray shoot.?
This new reinterpretacion of the clásicc Balmain Ivoire perfum is delicious.from the first moment you can smell a lot of flowers notes like violets and jasmine in a very strong way
For me is like the best friend of Elie Saab le Parfum.

courant

The reinvented Ivoire deserves to have its praises sung. An Aston Martin is still an Aston Martin whether Sean Connery or Daniel Craig is behind the wheel. I’ve taken Ivoire for a spin and she’s still a classy number. For those who don’t know the original Ivoire the best comparison, to my nose, of the new incarnation, is Noa by Cacharel. With Ivoire’s new bottle there are style comparisons with Chanel 19 Poudre and Elie Saab’s creation by Francis Kurkdjian. The success of Ivoire will be due to Michel Almairac’s interpretation which retains the integrity of the original. Top marks for my favourite perfumer. (in collaboration with Jacques Fiori)

I was raised in an urban environment but I wouldn’t be a Kiwi if I didn’t know the scent of wool, rich in lanolin, off the sheeps back. Sink a lightweight merino sweater into a gentle woolwash and the heavenly scent of clean and natural rises with the ribbons of steam. The temperature has to be just right. This is Ivoire, delicate but strong, simple but elegant. She’s homespun but electric with curiosity. Get to know her better

dormir6

I don't know the original but nowadays perfumes are altered so frequently. It's very sad, that the originals are not kept. But I like this version,it's a good one.

diego.lesgart
diego.lesgart

Please, Can somebody explain to me if Ivoire 2012 is so different to Ivoire from 80s ???

SoapyPrettyFloral
SoapyPrettyFloral

This smells really soapy and clean and classy, at first I thought it smelled too old for me, like something a 40 year old grandmother would wear but on my skin... Heaven! Definitely glad I bought this product :D

Caledonian77
Caledonian77

I agree this one is really soapy & nice & i find it easy to wear so it would be ideal for the office or even a hospital as it not offensive. To be honest i would give it 8/10 as i don't like strong perfume so this was breath of fresh air literally, fresh & then ends up powdery so all good & if i can say maybe cool. My little sample spray is ideal as there is no waste, so yeah thumbs up!. Prefer it a lot more to Chanel No 19 & also noticed tiny similarities to Jour D' Hermes but over all very elegant :).

Museumgal
Museumgal

Very soapy -- like white facial bar soap. If you are looking for a soapy scent I can't think of a more perfect one. Very clean, balmy and fresh, with a hint of powdery florals. Great if you like clean scents. Lasts well and is fresh throughout the composition. If overapplied it could get bitter so use a light hand. Very classic, good for formal events.

dormir6

Definately good quality! I was afraid that this would be too light, but no! It is so longlasting and detectable all the day. I don't know the original Ivoire but I have to say this one is almost "retro" for me, so I guess I wouldn't bear the real one. Otherwise I like vintage and older perfumes, but Ivoire (2012) is a little bit heavy for me. Yes, heavy! Could a fresh and powdery perfume be heavy????? Strange, because it's really soapy, but so strong, when you apply a vast, thick blast of deo spray and you have to hold your breath not to be suffocated. Ylang -ylang makes that effect on me usually. White and green, green like vegetation and not fresh still creates an out of shower confident cleanliness aura. In the first few hours it's cool, but later the woody accords makes it warmer. Very nice but I am still testing the emotions while wearing it.

After a few days I have to say, I'm growing to like it more and more. Clean and woody and very very longlasting, a clinging little thing :-)
I like it more and more every day! Clean and fresh, quality product.

ElisaPC

Thinking it over (I'm just trying it on one more time)the problem isn't the fragrance, which is great, mild, subtle and not cheap. The problem relies on its name: it deserves its own name, because the noses have made such a great work.
The problem is the suicide decision of eliminating a myth and giving its name to a young fragrance which, honestly, deserved best. My point is that they should have kept both fragrances, each one with their own personality, Ivoire and Ombre d'Ivoire, Ivoire Été, Ivoire Fille or whatever. Dommage!

ElisaPC

I've been using classic Ivoire all my life. It's rich, complex, lasting, unique. It's different from any other, one of its own class, and we call it classic just because there's this new one, but it will never scent old at all. This "new Ivoire" is just...cheaper. It lacks complexity and richness, it's a good mild fresher perfume with some of the old one, but with so much less!
Maybe you will get more profits from it, but you have just ruined the best you had with this "modern" idea.

Fragrantlife
Fragrantlife

I have the original Ivoire and I like it, but I do admit it is a bit of a tough wear. I don't care for the first hour when it is developing as I find it somewhat strong and musty smelling. After an hour, it is very soft, soapy and close to the skin. A classy, somewhat old fashioned, day perfume.

So I was very interested to learn there was a modern take on the classic. I bought my new bottle online, unsniffed since I could not find a single store in my area that carried the new iteration.

My first testing occurred in February, when it is very, very cold where I live. It was okay, but the fragrance seemed a pale ghost of the original, like a transparent veil replacing a velvet fabric. A lot of violet and a fake ozonic undercurrent. I was disappointed, although not surprised since, like many people, I have misgivings about reinterpretations.

Now fast forward to May, when summer decided to take over our climes (we have no spring to speak of where I live). I decided to give the new Ivoire another try. Well, in one word: wow! Yes I know, it isn't descriptive ;-) So, I'll try my best to provide a better description.

I still smell the violet but it is artfully blended with galbamum and a tiny whiff of a woody smell (cedar?). It is somewhat flowery but I cannot detect any specific notes except for an undercurrent of iris. The end result is lightly soapy, quiet, yet happy and beautiful. I would say it suits mid-twenties to late thirties girls and women who are looking for something more sophisticated than the fruity florals of the day.

For myself, I find it a bit young, but pretty in a summery kind of way. It reminds me of a softer version of Balenciaga, that I wear regularly. Must be the violet and chypre accords. I will wear on lazy summer evenings.

fresie
fresie

Ivoire smells just like Soap on my Skin.That kind of cheap oldfashioned Soap.It was a"blind buy"based on the good Reviews here,but it was a big disappointment for me.
I have it swapped,and my swapping Partner was really happy about it.

truffles
truffles

Mmm, smelled this today in John Lewis.
Brings to mind 1970s women in white broderie anglaise dresses, posing in the sunshine for portrait painters.
Innocent, pure, elegant, gently feminine, lovely, it's going on my want list.
Update: The end of the drydown is lovely and FIZZY - mmm sherbet!
Update 2: Wearing this today, have just applied and straight away I'm reminded of the little 'Snoopy' daisy-scented round boxed soap I had when I was about 10 - have remembered that smell for years and so glad to have a reminder of it! :)

kimberly1988
kimberly1988

The original is way better.. they always ruin original scents. I will never buy this one

Soutty123
Soutty123

I got this for my birthday from my sister who was so excited to have chosen it for me as she had read a really good write-up about it in Grazia. I think a common mistake people make about us perfume lovers is that we will like pretty much everything. Not so! I can appreciate that this is a good perfume but it's not my cup of tea. It's too powdery, too aldeyhdic and too soapy for me unfortunately.

Of course I told my sister that I thought it was fabulous and have dutifully worn it in her presence a few times. I don't like hurting feelings.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

This is a beautiful light fragrance with great longevity. I can still smell it on my skin 12 hours after the first application.

It comes on rather green when you first spray it on and then lovely florals come in and finally in the drydown a gorgeous warm galbanum enters to tie it all together. The woods are not prominent but form a perfect balanced backdrop to the topnotes. The vetiver is just prominent enough to make this quite refreshing along with the mandarin note. A beautifully balanced fresh greenish floral without being a leaf bomb. The pefect mix to my nose.

I do not get a lot of powder. Some in the drydown but not overly powdery. This smells modern with a reference to the classics. I like this reformulation much better than the original Ivoire. And the bottle is a beautiful classic yet modern design.

Gingersnpr
Gingersnpr

This grew on me. But my when my hubby asked what I was wearing I could tell by his face it was.a NO! He said I smelled like an old person in a nursing home that found their lost old bottle of perfume. Really?! Yeah, really

Mons
Mons

I went to the store to buy something completely different, the sales woman suggested I try this and I ended up buying it. When I got it home, I hated it. It took me about three days to fall madly in love with this! Madly! I'm not kidding, I can't get enough of this fragrance. I wear it every day, sometimes I mix it with other fragrances, I use it before bed and sometimes I spray a tiny bit at the base of my palms or very high up on my wrists - never know whose hand one might be shaking.
This fragrance is so clean and soapy, but in a wonderful creamy kind of way. No aquatic trappings here. I love this scent and someone mentioned the bottle and how pretty it is, they were not kidding - it is so lovely! If you smelled this and didn't care for it, give it a second chance, it is amazing!

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

Before I review this one, I just have to say how ridiculously pretty the bottle is. It's even nicer when you see it - clean lines, black and white label and nude liquid, it looks so elegant, classy and expensive.
As for the scent itself, after the first testing I was thinking that this may actually be a green scent I like. After second testing, it's still lovely.
Very green galbanum opening, that's not scratchy or too squeaky clean. It quickly becomes soapy, growing more powdery as it dries down, with lots of iris. The thickness of ylang ylang is there too, with violet leaf keeping the soft greenness. It is blended immaculately. Very lady-like scent, sophisticated, yet unobtrusive or uptight. It's somehow feminine without being very flowery or sweet or having any of the usual hallmarks that mark a 'femme' scent. This would be perfect for a young professional. My only qualm is that there is something a bit perfumey about it, but I think this is rectified by just not spraying much. This definitely has very nice sillage and staying power. Very very lovely.

Jasminalia
Jasminalia

Very soapy, to my nose.
The bottle is very Chanel, and the ad makes me think of Coco Mademoiselle.

cecfor
cecfor

The first thing that came into my mind with this one was "less is more". It's delicious and elegant. Very soft. Even the topnotes are soft. This is the first scent I encountered that I got a really lotion-feeling about. It's very close to skin. I had and loved very valentino a long time ago. I don't remember the smell of that one and I see the notes are different but this gives me the same clean and smooth feeling. This was an instant love and I "had to have it".

Talia

24 hours later still alive on my jacket and no signs to fade! Evamoon, you are right, it is forever lasting. I will vote here maximum for longevity, although the sillage is moderate.

Talia

I am not familiar with the original, but here I think I could easy recognize which part of it is classic and which – modern. The combination is intriguing and enjoyable. It sounds rich and even a little bit snobbish. It suits very well with the season now. I could smell some fall flower, chrysanthemum, which is not listed.
Thanks God for houses like Balmain, Roshas and Gres, offering high quality on democratic prices.

knit_at_nite
knit_at_nite

I'm very familiar with classic Ivoire. On my skin, the opening of the re-worked Ivoire was really very "pretty" and reserved. There's gallons of "pretty" out there so I was thinking this wasn't boding well for the first 20 minutes. I was thinking they really "modernized" Ivoire beyond recognition on behalf of all the aldehyde- phobes who associate the classic Ivoire's punchy top notes with a different era in perfumery (and avoid said era because it takes patience for the top notes to settle before the magic happens).
However, suddenly I was heartened! The familiar and beautiful heart of Ivoire emerged and lasted through the drydown.
Longevity was a good 8 hours for me.
I plan to pick up a a backup bottle of the original before it disappears but this does the house proud and I will eventually add this version to my collection, I'm sure. Thanks to the skill of the noses in this reworking, I did not have to re-neg on my current feeling towards this House "I never met a Balmain I didn't like".

evamoon
evamoon

It's almost forever lasting scent on my skin. Nice subtle floral-soapy fragrance. Without doubt better than original for me. Longlasting, modern and wearable, but still very interesting.

daisyM
daisyM

What a disappointment. At first, I thought it should have been called "Ombre d'Ivoire", a shadow of Ivoire. But it has actually nothing to do with the original, so such a title would be equally misleading. Either I'm quasi-anosmic to this perfume, or it is indeed very subtle, but I can barely smell a thing. What I smelled was by no means upleasant, still very generic and once again, as far from the original as it can be. Balmain seems to be more focused on the packaging these days than on the contents.

JodieW1992
JodieW1992

It is lovely, very subtle though.
Powdery & floral to open up with,
powdery when it settles.
Very elegant & subtle

kl99
kl99

No more asafoetida to balance the concert of notes?
Oh, yeah, sorry, is disappeared the concert also, and with almost all the instruments, and so...
Only bass and drums, I hope that adjectives classic, modern, and timeless do not match with plain and banal.
Well, never pronounce before to try it.
We still hope.
But, maybe is prejudice, maybe I'm lost in past, maybe is matter of taste, but I still prefer big orchestras.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Pierre Balmain Ivoire fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Pierre Balmain Ivoire, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Ivoire by Pierre Balmain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Ivoire by Pierre Balmain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.