Designers » N-Q » Chypre Floral « Groups

Ivoire de Balmain Pierre Balmain for women

Ivoire de Balmain Pierre Balmain for women
dislike

herbal
Ivoire de Balmain Pierre Balmain for women Pictures Ivoire de Balmain Pierre Balmain for women Pictures Ivoire de Balmain Pierre Balmain for women Pictures Ivoire de Balmain Pierre Balmain for women Pictures Ivoire de Balmain Pierre Balmain for women Pictures Ivoire de Balmain Pierre Balmain for women Pictures

Ivoire de Balmain by Pierre Balmain is a chypre floral fragrance for women. Ivoire de Balmain was launched in 1980. Top notes are aldehydes, chamomile, asafoetida, mandarin orange, violet, artemisia, marigold, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are nutmeg, carnation, cinnamon, narcissus, pepper, orris root, jasmine, Turkish rose, neroli, ylang-ylang and lily-of-the-valley; base notes are sandalwood, tonka bean, amber, patchouli, musk, raspberry, vanilla, oakmoss, vetiver and incense. Ivoire de Balmain was launched in 1979.

Aldehydes Chamomile Asafoetida Mandarin Orange Violet Artemisia Marigold Bergamot Lemon Galbanum

Nutmeg Carnation Cinnamon Narcissus Pepper Orris Root Jasmine Turkish Rose Neroli Ylang-Ylang Lily-of-the-Valley iris Raspberry

Sandalwood Tonka Bean Amber Patchouli Musk Vanilla Oakmoss Vetiver Incense Labdanum

Ivoire
Amazone
Aliage

Ivoire de Balmain Fragrance Reviews

Southern Blonde
Southern Blonde

I never thought I'd wear something like this but I'm so proud to make it part of my collection. This reminds me of Magie Noire by Lancôme. There is that sweet raspberry again! Despite the fact that people call this fragrance mature, old lady perfume or a standard chypre, it's not. It has sweet fruit, mandarin and raspberry which to me is always there. And there are aldehydes. I love aldehydes and was hoping that I would feel them and I did. The scent is very autumnal, with green galbanum and oak moss. Very green. It's a beautiful leafy, green and woodsy scent. It also has a chamomile tea type of feel to it. So good! It also has some flowers out of which the violet iris carnation and lily of the valley stand out. Beautiful. Simply beautiful. There are very few fragrances today that smell like this one. It has a sweetness to it, but it's not cloying, or sugary. It also really does wear like a real perfume, nothing synthetic about it. It's balsamic, oily, resinous, spicy, herbal, and aromatic. The dry down is pure sandalwood. There's als some incense. My God it's got a lot going on. It's a tad like Aliage by Estee Lauder. Just one hell of a chypre perfume. I will wear this with love as it was clearly made with love.

Mr Viking
Mr Viking

I love the vintage Ivoire. Green, Sharp and very classy. It is sophisticated and elegant. Love the Galbanum and soapy vibe. The only Balmain fragrance that I own.

SuzanneS
SuzanneS

This chic green scent is a mesmerizing antithesis to the sweet fruity scents flooding the market.

It starts out aldehydic and green in the spirit of Magie Noire or Chanel 19. The chamomile turns this into a different direction than those mentioned. Like tendrils of ivy that grab you..you overcome the strong opening and begin to like it more.

The raspberry is a beautiful note that peeks through the green and as it mellows the scent gets better and better.

Its a beautiful mature perfume. Don't let the opening scare you away.. Give Ivoire some time and appreciation of a genere we do not see very often.

For those of you thinking of other green scents like Cristalle..this is much more dryer and not as fruity like the melon wet mossy feeel in Cristalle. Just the tart raspberry in this one.

The drydown mellows into a subtle
feminine slightly powdery scent.

Classy, Ladylike,Sophisticated.

ParfumAmour
ParfumAmour

First my review for the vintage Ivoire, the opening notes are a green blast, she soon becomes a dreamy, soft, musky darling.
I am reminded of Ma Griffe, and No.19.
Next is the modern Ivoire. The opening is screechy, but within seconds it is a milder, much softer version of the original.
Longevity is weaker in the modern version.
It is slightly sweeter and more musky.
Personally I prefer the vintage.

nordhaul
nordhaul

Fresh, klean, showered scent.
Reminds me of Nude but sharper.
Looking to swap for another. Peace

grayspoole
grayspoole

As usual, I am reviewing the vintage Ivoire. Vintage Ivoire and the very different 2012 reissue do have separate listings in the database, but I think reviews for these perfumes are still mixed up. Also, there is some indication that the original Ivoire changed over the years and had to be stripped of its oakmoss in the late 1990's. My responses to Ivoire therefore differ from many reviewers. For example, I don't think original Ivoire smells like vintage Chanel No.19 at all, but perhaps reformulated Ivoire smells like reformulated No.19, as some people state.

I love all mean green chypres, but I do have some reservations about Ivoire, although I like it and enjoy wearing it from time to time. Ivoire has great style, with bergamot, galbanum, patchouli, and what I perceive as cumin/coriander rather than asafoetida. This note reminds me of Coriandre (1973), which I love, but it suggests BO to many people and can therefore be a big dealbreaker. Unlike many, I do not find Ivoire to be "soapy." We all have different references for the smell of soap: mine will probably always be the classic white Ivory soap, and yet Ivoire doesn't remind me of that Ivory--it's much too green, heady, and complex. Ivoire has other distinctive notes that may be difficult for noses trained on sweet and soothing contemporary scents, including sharp marigold and artemisia. And it is the artemisa in Ivoire that forcefully reminds me of another close contemporary--Nikki de Saint Phalle (1982). On some days, I'm not sure that I love the witchy note of artemisia (wormwood) on my skin; on other days, always in the winter rather than summer, this dark green herbal note feels just right. Ivoire is my green perfume for cold, grey days.

Loubella
Loubella

Ivoire de Balmain is a beautifully blended and sophisticated dry chypre,mossy and green,aromatic and sensual.Delicious!

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

Audrey Hepburn's final fragrance. She was wearing it in the 1980's in the final decade of her life, a far different animal than her first floral/fruity fragrance L'interdit created for her by Givenchy in 1957, when she was in the prime of her youth. Audrey favored French perfumes and this one was an earthy chypre made of the autumn leaves of France. It must have smelt wonderful on Audrey as a sedate, elegant and pensive older woman, dressed impeccably in black and neutral colors, taking long walks in her garden. Pierre Balmain's final fragrance. He died on June 29th, 1982 and the perfume was launched/released in the fall/winter of 1979-1980. It's a brainy unisex scent that romanticizes death, the fall of leaves, the arrival of winter. If you had to set this fragrance to music it would have to be Gustav Mahler's Adagietto from his 5th Symphony. It's a melancholic fragrance which can suit an intellectual writer or artist. If a perfume can bring such strong images and feelings to you, it's not your every day a run-of-the-mill perfume. This perfume has a serious, dignified "Church" like quality. It's as if Balmain knew that his own death was near and he captured his mortality into the fragrance.

Of course, the story behind the making of the fragrance is very different. Ivoire means ivory in French. It is supposed to call to mind the color white or off-white. According to Belmain himself, he was at the Opera in Paris and was captivated by a mysterious woman whose face he could not clearly see under her large-brimmed hat. She was wearing a dress of pale white silk and white gloves. This lady appears on some of the ads for the perfume. Balmain lost sight of her during the performance and when the concert was over, he tried to look for her. But she was gone. The fragrance has nothing to do with ivory or the color white. It is definitely a green and brown fragrance. I visualize Balmain as a little boy being dressed for a relative's funeral. His mother has fixed his hair with styling gel and he's wearing a dark suit, tie and dress shoes. The town car takes the little boy and his parents across the French countryside, on long roads with a forest on either side. The autumn leaves are falling everywhere, specks of brown, tan, gold, and orange. The ground is wet with rain. The sun is going down in the horizon casting a radiant golden glow. The boy is presently sad but he will grow up to become a famous fashion designer in Paris and some day capture this very moment into a fragrance. The perfume is strong with aldehydes and notes of warm chamomile, asafetida, mandarin orange, violet, galbanum, marigold, bergamot, lemon, nutmeg, neroli, jonquil, carnation, cinnamon, narcissus, orris, jasmine, Turkish Rose ylang-ylang and lily of the valley. There's also some incense and patchouli which gives it a very powerful kick. This is possibly the most emotional, intellectual fragrance on the market today. Although it contains flowers, they're not heady and some are barely perceptible. I couldn't really distinguish any strong floral scent. They're briefly there for a moment and then gone, as if to make the statement that spring has ended. This is not airy, fruity or girlish. It is a very mature perfume and can even serve as a man's cologne, making it a unisex perfume. But I am, of course, referring to the original formula the classic 1979/1980 original Ivoire de Balmain. This fragrance was, in 1980, a throwback to classic chypres and woodsy fragrances similar to those classic Chanels like No. 19. It's a green chypre which is bigger on woods than it is on flowers. It has since been reformulated. The latest edition is nothing like what I have just described and is like expensive French soap with none of the autumnal and beautiful feelings attached to the original.

kewart
kewart

Ivoire gives me goosebumps!
The vintage is a real classic chypre and
as dry and green as you like.
I wear this whenI want to feel put-together and
classy.Soapy, creamy florals and green elements make this perfect for autumn days.

Englishrose77

I went back and tried a friends decant from a reliable perfume blog. No, my earlier purchase had NOT turned. This stuff is awful. Loud, screechy, piercing, and overwhelming. Good God. I checked other reviews because I thought it was just me. Nope. There are a lot of us out there scrubbing this off. (My cats gave me dirty looks and left the room.). You could clear a crowded room fast with this one, folks. Subtle, it's NOT. Yikes.

Eos

It honestly sounds like a lot of you have turned vintage samples or bottles or you are not fans of Asafoetida which on some people can smell like sweat.

My mother's vintage bottle still smells great---aldehydic, oakmossy, and herbal green with a powdery, chypre, slightly animalic musky dry down. At no point does it smell like sweat. I would say that the closest modern composition to this is Chanel's 31 Rue Cambon, not No19.

LisaLovesPerfume

One of my few disappointments. When I tried it on my skin, it quickly turned to a smell of sweat. I do not find this attractive in the least. It is not animalic, it is sweaty. I am not sure if I have a bad bottle or if it is the fragrance itself. I have seen many bad reviews and some good. This may be a case of body chemistry, but most perfumes wear well on me. I would be cautious in purchasing this one. I recommend Mitsouko for a lovely, earthy fragrance.

Englishrose77

I love Chanel No 19, love green vintage fragrances, and love galbanum. I should, by all accounts, love Ivoire de Balmain. I purchased a vintage EDT , and realized as soon as I sprayed it that I recognized it from many years ago. Somebody I knew must have worn it. I was hit with a strong blast of aldehydes that was harsh and powdery. I gave it several hours, because I hoped it would settle down. Nope. It's just as overwhelming and screechy as when I first sprayed it. This is waaaay too strong and harsh for me, and it doesn't remotely remind me of my gorgeous Chanel No 19. Maybe I got a bad bottle, but I don't think so. It doesn't small like it's turned at all. Just not my cup of tea. And I like aldehydes, so when I say too much, I really mean it. I know I'm going to get blasted by other Ivoire lovers, but this is an absolute scrubber for me.

perfumeaddiction
perfumeaddiction

I just obtained a vintage bottle. My first reaction upon spray was, oh, another green clean dated fragrance. I did not find it offensive but very clean. This one is a sneaky girl. She goes on soft and clean but turns into a tramp. Now wait don't let this deter you. What I mean is, a sort of animalic B.O. type aroma starts to develop. Now normally I would run to the hills if I smelled BO. However with this one somehow it turns into this niche quality scent that becomes somewhat sexy. Don't let that innocent little bottle with the white cap fool you. I believe what gives the animal scent is spice and I smell cumin although not listed. This is definitely quite the number and i've never smelled another like it. It unfortunately does not work with my chemistry but it's really a great fragrance.

lotus and jasmine
lotus and jasmine

Vintage EDP: It's a cross between Windex and skunk spray. With a touch of carnation.

I like the carnation.

annabelle2008
annabelle2008

I purchased this fragrance on it's original release and used it one or twice a month, for years , as a change to my 3 most favourite perfumes. I still have several sealed bottles, although haven't used it for years.

For those who loved the original, I thought I would share my recent experience. I purchased Diptyque "L'Ombre Dans L'Eau" (EDP) on a whim, and upon the first spray, I was transported back in time . As with the original Ivoire, the first spray sent me scurrying to the window for a breath of fresh air, the "greeness" is overwhelming. As with Ivoire, the fragrance calmed down after about 10minutes, and began an almost identical journey as it evolved

I opened a new / vintage bottle of Ivoire two days later, and found the differences were minimal. Ivoire is perhaps a little better behaved, and reaches the "softness" phase a little faster. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau has a little more "punch" and depth but that could just be that one is and EDT and the other and EDP.

The notes all appear to be different however , on my skin, the same result. The projection / sillage is excellent with both fragrances

Perhaps it is the quality of the ingredients used by Diptyque, but if you dream of finding an original and fresh Ivoire , then this may be an option.

Danira7
Danira7

Beautiful, sophisticated, classy, feminine - where do I stop? I have a bottle of vintage from back around 1977 and it smells as amazing today as it did back then. My paramour, at the time, would nuzzle my hair and neck when I wore this - obviously his favorite!
This is a scent for the mature, confident woman, probably too sophisticated for me at the time I wore it back then (and probably now!) Orange, violet -yes, they're in there. So is a slightly funky note -asafetida? and also the ever-popular old hippie notes of musk and pachouli. I love it!

Maodo
Maodo

Oh My God.... Got a sample of the vintage version and I am in love. Seriously, if you are a Chanel 19 EDT lover like me, than you know there is not much that comes close. Ivoire also is NOT 19, BUT it shares the same lovely dry green and bitter galbanum. Besides, Ivoire is warm, comforting and mysterious. Maybe it's the incense. It doesn't say on the little mini square bottle with white rubber cap wether it is the EDT of the EDP, so unfortunately I don't know. The juice is honey-brown. It only says Ivoire written diagonally. I wish I had a full bottle of it. I want it badly....

rossiniopera
rossiniopera

In the early eighties, there was a shampoo in my country called Timotei, which is the name of a grass with long straws that grows in meadows. It was green, fresh and lovely, and the ads they used for it were very romantic, with a girl in a white dress and with long, fair hair, walking barefoot through a hazy meadow. I was little, and I loved these dreamy pictures, as well as the smell of Timotei. When I recently bought a bottle of vintage Ivoire edt and tried the first spray, I was immediately transported thirty years back in time. Ivoire is the smell of this meadow from my childhood. Not just of the shampoo, but of the whole idea behind it, that beautiful girl in the dewy morning grass... I remember I wanted to be her, to be there in the picture. And now, with Ivoire de Balmain, I finally can...

boruvka44
boruvka44

Vintage Ivoire is perfect alternative to VERY similar Chanel No. 19, for those of us, bothered with too sweet powder of 19.
Ivoire is natural, green, lightly bitter galbanum powder, not sweet.
The smell of mown meadow - grass, herbs, flowers. Together with creamy floral soap, smelling from drawers with romantic white summer dresses and beddings.
The memory of childhood.
Nostalgic, romantic, comforting indian summer scent of maturity and elegance (of our smiling moms, aunts and grandmas)
I miss those times so much, and they will never come back.

Planet_X
Planet_X

Aristocracy as it is. Dry herbal aldehydic Chypre. From capital C. Where rich content (what!!! 33 notes at least!!!) is well hidden behind modest start of mossy camomile. It keeps being a WHOLE thing during heart phase and in the drydown, so much is going on but you see/smell just One face of a beauty
I love dried herbs, specifically for that reason I am passing by natural apothecary health shop each time I Am in down town, making a circle. To spend 5 minutes breathing there by all those herbs in wooden boxes. Its like eternal summer captured.
The moss in Ivoire de Balmain is just perfect – velvety, rich and dry, - heaven for herbal-chypro-maniacs.
I don't find it difficult or too strong, - I think its creamy-velvety and being very distinctive its still very “pale” - nothing screams here, just as in Jacomo Silences, - its a whisper at dawn. Cant be better, seriously.

Edee
Edee

I have a bottle of the EDT that is over twenty five years old. It is about 80 percent full. I tried it again last week for the first time in twenty years and it is still great. This floral chyrpe is very well blended. You smell everything (oakmoss, orris root, chamomile, rose, etc.) at once. The aldehydes are a little much in the beginning, but wait a minute or two and it calms down and a beautifu fragrance emerges. This fragrance is invigorating yet comforting. It must be the camomile. I sprayed this and it seemed to have a somewhat relaxing effect. The oakmoss does not overshadow the flowers or spicy notes like the carnation. The manufacturers back then knew what they doing.

Lumiere
Lumiere

Ivoire in a small miniature bottle 7.5 ml, Les Meillers Parfums de Paris collection which looks quite vintage, no less than 10 years old, most likely more.
A creamy, out-of-this time perfume, multitude of the notes are so well blended together it is hard to say what it reminds. Chamomile, herbs, flowers, fruit, freshness, warmth, all at the same time. Overall, a scent fit for a lady, retro, but not dated for sure. It is all beauty at once, yellow flowers of the spring, lush scent and herbs of summer, nostalgia of autumn and a distant scent of the smoke from the winter fireplaces...There is some bitterness accompanying this scent from the beginning to end, but it is a refined bitterness of the scent but not the feeling. I would so much imagine my mum wearing it...and myself as well. It has no age, it is more about the attitude to life. Would suit a very refined lady...or a bohemian artistic soul of a loner, like myself, on the sunny. windy, fire-placy autumn day.

waternight
waternight

This scent is Super Classy. Structured, chic, slightly cool and just this side of aloof...and yet I can't keep my nose out of my arm. I can see myself wearing this at a very special occasion, in a very expensive, modest-yet-super-flattering dress, pearl jewelry, soft pinky-nude lipstick (NOT red). I feel like a politician's wife in this, in a weirdly good way.

Iris_it
Iris_it

A fragrance is never to be judged upon opening notes but I liked so much the elegant way bitter notes glide on citruses that I decided vintage Ivoire was a must have . Who said this is not easy to wear ? My "two cents" say it is ! Nothing shouts here , it is so smooth and rich of delicate nuances and very suitable to warm weather .

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

Yes, it is similar to Niki dry down, powdery and mossy, the opening is alhydrates and mossy, interesting and intense, in 10- 20 min turns into powdery and mossy. Very 70- 80s style.

flowers-in-the-springtime
flowers-in-the-springtime

I received this today in a swap expecting it to smell similar to the EDP. Actually it couldn't be more different. The EDP is far softer, less complex and much easier to wear.
The Ivoire Balmain EDT is an aldehydic monster which has emerged from a 1980's time capsule and I have to say that it is a difficult and very complicated individual.
Wearing it I am reminded of padded shoulders, big hair, glamour and sophistication which was marketed very well in the 80's. (Just think of Dallas).
I couldn't possibly comment on the notes because there are so many and I'm not a good enough 'nose' to distinguish single notes, however it is most certainly heavy on the aldehydes. The opening spray was very harsh, almost eye watering. If you love aldehydes in the old vintage fumes then you will LOVE this perfume! If you love vintage and 80's scents then you must give this one a try.
I was never a lover of strong aldehydes as they tend to give me migraine, however I do like this fragrance. It transports me back to my 20's when I used to love Rive Gauche and Chanel No5 and although I never wore this one, ( far too sophisticated for the likes of me), I would have loved it then.
On my skin the aldehydes in this haven't faded yet and it's been on for a good 2 hours now, but it's softened slightly. It has finally dried down into a soapy, fresh, floral chypre and it will have a welcome place in my collection where I will wear it when I want to be sophisticated, elegant and empowering.

passionata20
passionata20

08. november 2013

I don´t know if the one i´m writing about is a vintage or recent formula (not the reedition, but original reformulation). Hopefully vintage. :)

I wanted to try this one for a very long time, and thanks to another user i have a sample and wearing it today. I wanted to try a sample first before purchasing a full bottle, since reviews are bipolar. Most praise it, but it contains so many notes i am careful with i wasn´t sure what to expect.

Well, the initial first spray is awful! Honestly, i´m sad to say that but it was so bad i wanted to cry. Sharp, bitter, bit rotten leafs and spicy at the same time. So much is going on, i really hate the opening. Probably to the bitterness of patchouli and pepper, the sharpness of galdbanum and oakmoss and sopainess of aldehydes and chamomille. Tooooo much of everything. It all smells like the autumn leaves that have been gathered into stack and left under the rain for couple of weeks, that´s when they start to smell bit rotten. This is almost the exact feeling i get from the opening of "Ivoire".
This lasts for 15-20 minutes and then starts to develope into soapy chypre, which is still strong in the beginning (this stage reminds me of vintage "Madame Rochas" which i loooove), so refined and classy, but not for the untrained nose. Those ones who have probably never smelled perfumes from 70´s will not like it. But those who more experienced they will probably approve it and rate highly. The lovers of oakmoss will praise it.

The middle stage later developes into soft soapy drydown, full of aldehydes and chamomille, blended with iris and musk. It becomes so innocent, i even start to wonder was it really that harsh in the opening? YES IT WAS. By the way the pepper note is still very much detectable even in the drydown!

Just as a remark, i find the drydown of "Ivoire" similar in some way to the drydown of "Vent vert" also by Balmain and probably made by the same perfumer (i´m referring to the vintage "Vent vert", not the 90´s square reformulation).

So i truly hate the opening, but the rest stages are right up to my alley, HOWEVER i still think that "Madame Rochas" is a much better substitute. At least for me is. I will not rush and buy it now, it´s too complicated for me and also too soft (except that loud opening phase). Yes, it is classy, yes it is cherished and praised, yes it is elegant but somehow it fails to impress me much.

No remarkable sillage (probably wasn´t suppose to be), and very average lasting power up to 3-4 hrs on my skin after 2 sprays.

UPDATE: (Next day) My blouse is smelling of the drydown of "Ivoire" and it is a dead dupe (the drydown i mean) of classic "Armani pour femme" !!! Still, however, Armani impresses me much more than this one. Same minty freshness, but less classy.

mimi.smell
mimi.smell

Like everybody noticed - this is fresh floral aldechidic scent. Vintage? No, I would rather say it's simply chyper and that's "not-in" nowadays. No worries, if you like gentle fresh floral notes, you would find it perfect.

I would describe it like somehow-safe clasical office scent, adult and responsible, discreet and serious, clean and crisp, discreetly attractive, chic and expensive. You will get it all, if you wait that it sattles down from its strong opening.

It's a beautiful perfume. I only miss a bit better lasting power.

shasta
shasta

Have been purchasing vintage fragrances and had to have this. With all the different reviews I didn't know what to expect. Some call it creamy, some call it herbal, some call it a floral and a lot say body odor! Well, I think I figured it out. It starts out like chanel no.19 (though not as refined) and dries down like halston. Totally unexpected. This fume has a double personality. I like it as I wear both chanel no.19 and halston often. Halston often makes me nauseous just like the dry down of this does. When I first sprayed, I got a rich succulent yellow floral. I would've loved it if it had stayed that way. It then turned herbal like chanel. And here comes the dry down...so if you can't stomach halston, stay away from this.

amelie

Ivoire is so beautiful, especially now in autumn, so soft and strong at the same time. And to think, for years I only wore Ivoire, and enjoyed it so much. Feels creamy vanilla, but not loud, more like a shadow. I had to try new Ivoire, stylish, different, even though both have one distinctive creamy vibe so characteristic of Balmain fragrances.

Ivoire de Balmain is a fragrance known for making a statement and being rather difficult to wear. It's a classic nonetheless, and easily one of the more well-known chypres of the last few decades.

Occasionally Ivoire de Balmain strikes me as more masculine than feminine. It's a fairly unforgiving fragrance, something I could imagine Bette Davis wearing whilst posing for a photo with her serious and provoking stare. Ivoire de Balmain is forthright and bold rather than soft and pretty.

Nevertheless, Ivoire de Balmain has that old-school charm, being a scent heavy on the aldehydes and oakmoss. It is a dusty and dry fragrance for the most part, lacking in sweetness and devoid of any delicate floral notes.

For such a complex scent pyramid, I must admit that not all of these notes appear to be present on my skin. Perhaps the only notes that made themselves known, if only for a brief moment were the lemon, bergamot and galbanum top notes.

Ivoire de Balmain has excellent longevity, however the sillage is only moderate. It does start off strong, but by the heart it is fairly inoffensive. This fragrance is a must-try for any chypre fans.

Lakambini
Lakambini

I had the pleasure of spraying this on my wrist today. I had read next to nothing about this fragrance, as I didn't think I'd ever encounter it. First impression was that it was a dark, dry-mossy and quite animalic aldehyde fragrance, with an illicit sort of oiliness and a prominent spicy note that reminded me of Jean Coutourier Coriandre and similar. The spicy note faded as time went by, leaving a scent that I thought was rather close to the skin -- floral in the classic way with lots of carnation and a dark brew of ingredients that I couldn't analyze. Definitely a fragrance for a smart, ultra-powerful individual, say Patty Hewes, the attorney Glenn Close plays in "Damages."

stormyla
stormyla

Ivoire is a beautiful fragrance that I wore off and on for years. I've always been fond of Chypres and discovered this one in the early 80's when everyone was wearing sweet orientals. It was so nice to smell something that wasn't an Opium spinoff. It was a great signature scent as hardly anyone was using it.

It is a much softer Chypre than Aromatics Elixir or Jean Louis Scherrer. The opening is very green but the scent dries down slightly sweet, citrusy, mossy. It's balmy,woody,spicy..gosh there is so much going on in this gem. I don't think that any notes in particular dominate the fragrance. I think that the sum here is greater than the parts.

Ivoire is a classy elegant scent that wears well year round. This would be a great fragrance for younger folks as an introduction to the world of green chypres. It's less harsh than most of the genre.

I can't speak to the new version, having never smelled it. The original scent is nice in all concentrations. There is quite a bit of it around for reasonable prices.

This scent is long wearing and has decent but not monstrous sillage. This is one fragrance that I will always keep in my collection!!

Militza
Militza

When I look at Fragrance sites, I do not see this original bottle now. I see something that is supposed to be new and improved. It would baffle me that this fragrance could be improved, because it was perfect to begin with. It is an intensely feminine fragrance. It has a timeless quality, the new perfumes cannot imitate. Ivoire is a woman's inner core. How does one improve that?

mymlan
mymlan

Right now it's summer holiday and I'm having a great time going through decants again, and now the time has come to vintage Ivoire :).

Ivoire, what a contradicting fragrance! Ivoire like in Ivory suggests something white, bright? Green or perhaps floral? NO, this is one of the most serious fragrances I've ever tried. Vintage Ivoire has a very strong galbanium note that shines throught the whole composition, but it's darkened by oakmoss, spices and woods. An antique expensive newly polished furniture comes to mind. I hardly smell any fruits or flowers at all in it, maybe just daffodil or some other flower that blends very well with the galbanium. Nevertheless it's a very classy and elegant fragrance.

I wonder how the current Ivoire smells? Reading the reviews It somehow reminds me about the difference between vintage Anais Anais and the current one. While the current Anais Anais is a happy big floral perhaps suitable for weddings, the vintage one is serious, dark and broody in character, suitable for funerals. Still I love the vintage much more due to it's complexity. I have a feeling that a similar impression would apply to Ivoire.

However, eventhough I appreciate vintage Ivoire for beeing so immaculately wellgrafted it's not for me. Maybe because of it's super elegant air, or because of the nutmeg?

SeverinaSerizy
SeverinaSerizy

Aldehydes don't usually work at all with my body chemistry. Chanel nr 5 is a big no no for me. The vtg Ivoire edt is an elegant, classy and a wearable ladylike crisp aldehyde. But after a few hours wear I'm now getting a slight headache nevertheless...If Ivoire is to blame?... I don't know.

russian.red
russian.red

i really wanted to love this! i had great expectations, but on me it smells exactly like sweat/dirty armpit!! my body chemistry just ruined everything.... :(

9-na
9-na

Vintage. I’m fond of it thanks to thorny, bitterish greenness without even a hint of sugar, but with a drop of salt (first half of the scent’s life on me, lasts for about 8 hours), and I do like the gentle, nice and very much alive flowers it has for me (second half of the scent’s lifespan on my skin, lasts for about 10 hours).

cinsot
cinsot

Vintage EDT: Captures the everlasting aroma of dewy jonquils sitting in a Waterford crystal vase with beams of sunshine throwing playful light motifs on whitewashed walls.

Immortal virtue. Pristine Grace. Heavenly.

My love for green chypres has been reignited after diverging from the path, briefly flirting with damp vanillas.

I have finally regained my senses!

umtaleb
umtaleb

I had this... as 'anomie and ivoire' reviewed: Ivoire De Balmain wore me and announced its arrival to all those in a 3 metre radius.

polka
polka

This is a truly noble scent. One of the most refined, subtle, wearable chypres I've encountered. Starts with green, windy, slightly bitter smell of chrysantemum leaves with a hint of gentiana. The head notes may even smell earthy to some. Then it gets a tiny bit warmer with white flowers, rose and and vetiver. But don't expect it to develop into a nice, comforting frag. Ivoire de Balmain is just not like that. I don't consider it fresh, either.

It's a beautiful fragrance, very calm and elegant, and a little bit... sad. Or rather melancholic. That's probably why my hand reached for it automatically when I was going to a funeral a couple of months ago.

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

I still cannot believe the kindness of the fellow Fragrantican who gifted me this scent. Thank you!!

My impressions of Ivoire de Balmain echo those of F A, who wrote the following:

Energizing, like lying on freshly cut grass among meadow flowers.

I couldn't have described it better. And this meadow is completely free of hay fever and mosquitoes!

Yes, this is Very reliant on the proper body chemistry. I get no body odor, and find it to be an immediately likable and pleasant scent.

For me, this is easy to wear, charming, and natural. So natural, that you forget how chic and stylish you truly are!

Three days later, I ordered a backup bottle, because I NEVER want to run out of this magic meadow. It's utterly perfect in cold weather, but I look forward to trying it in summer as well. Five Stars.

UPDATE ~ Trying Ivoire in warmer weather gives a distinctly different impression... I now understand how some people smell body odor here. My recommendation is for all hesitant parties to save their final judgement until the dead of winter, when Ivoire shines in full radiance!

mereltje
mereltje

I am sorry but I don't like this one. To me it is screaming, sharp and irritating. It is making me nausious. When I was young I didn't like it and now it's still the same. Probably it's my body chemestry...I don't know what else. But it's a pity because I like chypre perfumes.

canadianpetite
canadianpetite

Freshly cut greens with asafoetida (=sweat/body odour). I also detect bergamot and oakmoss. It has the same sharp presence, not scent, as Revlon Charlie or Estee Lauder Estee. Once the heady asafotida dies down (about 3 hours), the scent is very reminiscent of 80s overly confident perfumes. Not many people can appreciate the sharpness, strength and uniqueness of asafoetida so definitely need to try before you buy. I found this bottle at Winners for $50 and may have bought more than one bottle if not for the asafoetida. With the reformulated version, I now know why I got lucky and found this gem at Winners. May be better appreciated by more perfume-sophisticated or mature women.

On me,
Sillage: a foot
Longevity: more than 5 hours
Rating: 2.5/5

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

A far-too intense opening of aldehydes and a dusty bouquet of every single floral note known to man makes way to a fascinating waxy/dusty yellow floral middle reminiscent of a cross between Mystere and Private Collection. The scent develops further into a very nice woody oriental/chypre base that makes me think of Anais-Anais - my grandmother's signature daytime scent. Intensely complex and constantly evolving, the vintage version of Ivoire is fantastic if you can handle this sort of floral bouquet. It's a bit too much for me to wear in the top, but I do appreciate its beauty and subtle complexity.

LisaLovesPerfume

Unfortunately the first note that was present was the scent of sweat/body odor. I was so disappointed. Maybe it was just bad body chemistry between myself and Ivoire. I recommend not buying this blindly. I would definately try it first before purchasing. Hopefully, it will work for some people. It seems as if it might have that potential. So I would just proceed with caution and not end up losing money that could be spent on a fragrance that might be better for you.

jadetrail51
jadetrail51

After three days of mild still warm weather, I've decided that I can only wear this on the coolest of days. I believe it's the asafoetida that gives it the anamalic body odor slightly cumin characteristic that I'm perceiving.
UPDATE: First really cool morning; the snow geese have announced that they will soon be relocating; frost on my geraniums; so put this on this morning for my morning walk through my now turning aspen laden trail. We had a cold rain last night, so the aspens and birch trees are beginning to wear their fall wardrobe of golds and russets.......my Ivoire is magnificent and as fresh and clean as the mountain stream I cross to get back home. A winner......just don't wear this one in the jungle.....

anomie et ivoire
anomie et ivoire

A choking soap carving of a lone woman. Garbo is said to be involved with this scent somehow, Balmain himself (in ad copy) going on and on about a mystery woman at an opera. A ghost is closer for Ivoire.

Aldehydes for the sake of themselves. Indulgent, careless, demanding a wide berth from passerby as a primly dressed lady on a motorcycle. In low heeled boots and a cloche instead of a helmet.

The muguet and iris are Ivoire's best classic features, and for those whose skin sing them through the aldehydic chorus, a fine scent of centeredness and old-fashioned charm this could make. The notes that I love and always will in Ivoire: chamomile and marigold--herbal, summer-meets-autumn, wistful.

Some speak of a BO note herein: asafoetida: as bad as the word itself suggests. That rot and stink beneath such a complex thirty or more note fragrance is a bit like hiding a cruel glance in the recitation of a courtly love ballad.

At first this was to be my signature. Aspirational but flawed. So aloof, so stunning, once past the prim opening: gestalt, carnation spice, patchouli and oakmoss forests. Refractions of every major chypre dazzle in this stray fake crystal pendant bedside lamp. But this fragrance wanted to be refined, wanted to be for blondes, needed to be tasteful but acknowledged. Ivoire's image and execution, all but its very, very depths and bottom notes, lacks the celebration of power that other chypres boast. It's those pesky extra few too many aldehydes.

If you have the option of trying out the vintage pure perfume or vintage edt and are a fan of chypres, get a kick out of undermining frump, and aren't afraid of soapy openings, please give this lady out of time a chance. Intriguing and a complete person unto itself. For frequent wear? This will wear you ... out and to the opera.

Overall rating: for the vintage parfum-- 8/10, for the reformulated edt-- 5/10
Longevity: 4+ hours in edt, 8+ for pure parfum,
Sillage: moderate to large
Gender: neutral
Occasion: dressed-up but daytime, vintage mood.

gazelle
gazelle

I found my second ("vintage," hopefully) bottle of Ivoire today at Goodwill, still wrapped in cellophane. I became weak at the knees. At home, I test compared the new purchase to the reformulated one I bought last year. OMG, I cannot believe the difference! Today's Ivoire purchase has evolved from a dark green gem (sweat smell included) into a mesmerizing incense, vetiver, and oakmoss noir work of art. I have been searching for an affordable replacement to my 80's Coty CHYPRE. For now, I have found it for the duration of this 3.4 oz. bottle.

AngieGCarp
AngieGCarp

AHHHAHHHHAHHHH CHOOOOOOOOOO! That is one spicy opening!!! But I am instantly enamoured.....Definitely a fall/winter flavor.

Okay, now that I have had a chance to wear this perfume for 24 hours. I love it. I think the sneeze was from the bottle needing a good shake maybe the spices were on the bottom.

Anyway, my impression is that this is a complex fragrance very similar to Cabochard by Gres. Ivoire is sweeter and lighter. I think it is more wearable in that Cabochard is very dramatic and put you in the mind set of sitting by the fire on a winters night. But Ivoire is daytime on a cool crisp day in autumn. Probably not the best for a hot humid day like we have in Texas!

My recommendation: a very good fragrance for someone wanting to introduce themselves to the complex world of French perfumery in the styles of Molinard or Gres. I think it is for 25 or older. Daytime or night time wearable. I think it might be a little thick for church or the office but I am very cautious in this regard. You may have a different opinion.

Anyway, enjoy this lovely ultra feminine creation. ☺

cincobayou
cincobayou

I have a tough time believing this is a "floral-fruity" since I do not care for them much.
I just got a bottle from Amazon.com and it smells very nice on me with my nose picking out the patchouli...and "green"...with some soft rose and leather.
It's just wonderful! Quite classy, I'd say....and Classic.

Mari Forever
Mari Forever

This is my favourate perfume - for ever! But: it changed a little bit. It is lighter, fresher than before. The colour is also lighter. Does anybody know if it has to do with "Reformulation"?? I would like to buy the original scent...

Kittycat63

Isn't it amazing that some perfumes can smell so different on different people?! Reading some of the comments here I'm amazed that a lot of people say Ivoire on them smells herbal / smokey / incense'y / spicy, etc. Other people comment that it's creamy / soapy, etc. On me it starts quite tart, zingy and grassy (quite retro and a bit mature / sophisticated) but quickly softens to become creamy, sweet, raspberry'ish and a little soapy (and consequently smells more girly). I actually find it an addictive perfume and I love to stop and have a sniff of my bottle of it sometimes even if I'm not wearing it that particular day. I suppose for me it's kind of invigorating and happiness boosting!

Ivoire is such a gorgeous, unique perfume and I'm so happy I discovered it for the first time a couple of years ago - I would hate to be without a bottle of it now!

Peachply
Peachply

Beautiful, distinguished fragrance it's a grown up lady's perfume and Perfume it will be. I can't believe I wore this in my 20's I "borrowed" it from my mom. I remember something rather green and woody very sophisticated.

FruitDiet
FruitDiet

Wonderfully complex and weird dry chypre with a big discordant animalic BO note that no one mentions. Starts soapy, turns creamy, eventually gets sort of smoky and incensey. So affordable, too!

EK
EK

I received Ivoire yesterday from a dear fellow Fragrantican, but only had time to wear it for a couple of hours. Today I gave it a full wear including a respray when I came home from work.
My first thought was 'Huh?! This is categorised as a floral fruity??' I don't get fruit here, none at all. On me it behaves aromatic/herbal/spicy/floral, but not fruity. Over time it becomes lighter, more gentle, and the drydown is slightly sweet - the mature kind of sweetness, if that makes sense.
I seem to perceive this scent very differently from others. It reminds me very much of Aromatics Elixir, especially for the first hour or so. AE is a great no-nonsense, self-confident perfume that I need to be in the right mood to wear.
Ivoire is easier to deal with - softer, more gentle and mellow. That doesn't make it less of an elegant and confident fragrance, it's just.. less tough and bold. Very wearable.
It's a great fragrance when I want something non-sweet, elegant, but not in-your-face. It's lovely all the way through, any season and most occasions.
Sillage isn't very big, on me it's a skin scent after the first hour. Longevity quite good, I still had a faint drydown when I reapplied after 9 hours.
This review is for the current formulation.

akats

Many many years ago, I was wearing this fragrance and I liked it. It was citrusy, mossy, but not agressive. It had a subtle quality of a pure floral smell, so that you could'nt tell if it had citruses or herbs in its composition. It was strong but not offensive. It had great sillage and surrounded you with elegance. Today, I found a great offer after so many years and I bought a 30ml spray blindly. Well, what can I say? It's boring to repeat again that great perfumes have been destroyed by their reformulation, but I have to admit it. It does'nt even remid me of the old formula. It's been changed dramatically! It reminds me of an expensive soap or deodorant. It's pleasant to wear it, but it is not THAT elegant complex smell I knew. It is my third dissapointment after rediscovering "jontue" by Revlon, and "magie noire" by Lancome.
Yet, if a young lady wants to try something different from the massive sweet trendy perfumes, then she has to test this, because the reformulated version is thinner, more mossy and more sportive than the old one.

meligonlan
meligonlan

Simply put Ivoire de Balmain = Oscar for Men Oscar de la Renta.

emilee4
emilee4

I tried it on my wrist at Liberty's and immediately wanted to scrub it off. All I could get was the smell of dirty underwear. Never had this with a perfume before. My friend said it reeked of an armpit mixed with cheap deodorant. Lasted 4 hours unfortunately. Total scrubber.

missan
missan

The vintage Ivoire is no fruity/floral, it´s a lovely chypre that is quite unisex IMO. Reminds me a little of the vintage Dunhill for men. Very nice.
Found a vintage bottle dirt cheap, it´s a treasure.

Little goes a long way for the vintage, I recommend brave men to try it.

Henriette
Henriette

Oh Ivoire, gorgeous mate of my 20es, when I had great expectations and the world started unfurling to me. Ivoire, with your elegant rapsody of flowers, spices, woods, greens and a pale hint of fruit. Ivoire sparkling like a diamond casting light and colours around me every time I took a breath. Ivoire maybe more apt for a lady than for a girl but then, having crossed the threshold of my 20, I thought for that simple reason I WAS A LADY. Ivoire splendid creation in a time so ripe with changes in my life and the world all around us. And sadly many sad changes in a perfume world when art creations like you started to sadly disappear faster and faster.
Ivoire, sweet friend of happy years, amazing days, joys to be fulfilled, you were a joy in yourself.

missymary
missymary

I hoped this might be a very individualised perfume, but nope, it's a straightforward powdery high octane aldehyde It's one of the old "high class lady" school. Very prim, detached, aristocratic. We are talking a sister of Ysatis, Arpege, First, Paloma Picasso, Knowing and Aromatics Elixir, you get the picture. I find it hard to tell them apart, so strong is the powdery note.

Good for the fans of cool classy aloof perfumes.These perfumes remind me of the track " Diamonds on the soles of her shoes".

Review of Vintage EDT:
What can I say about Ivoire that hasn't already been said? Its a stunning, soapy, demure green floral that is excellently blended. To say that this perfume has a refined character is an understatement.

The individual notes are hard to pick out with the exception of the aldehydes, oakmoss, chamomile and marigold which on my skin are the most pronounced. Interestingly the aldehydes and oakmoss are most pronounced at the beginning and the chamomile and marigold are most noticeable in the dry down. It doesn't follow the ascribed pyramidal structure as listed above.

While this is absolutely gorgeous, I would NEVER recommend this as a blind buy. I can see how many women who are used to Fruity Florals would be very confused by this. This is mis-classified as a Fruity Floral in the database and should be listed as a Chypre Floral.

Sillage: approximately 10 feet
Longevity: 12 hours on my skin
This is a VERY GREEN fragrance, in fact one of the greenest I've encountered. It feels very chic, refined and strangely natural given the presence of aldehydes. It would be perfect to wear to a formal luncheon or in the boardroom.

akats

I don'nt remember it's notes, but since I like this fragrance, there must have been fresh, green, fruity and spicy together.....

jtd
jtd

Soapy floral from 1980. Soapy was probably a hard sell in 1980, so how on earth has this survived the intervening years? I suppose that being out of fashion could actually make it more likely that you’d survive the trends of the day. Also being inexpensive must help. Well, however it worked out, I’m glad Ivoire is still with us.

This really does smell like soap. It’s a green/white floral collage with aldehydes and galbanum up front and a creamy woody drydown. But the middle notes, which last forever and meld into the drydown are the most appealing. The aldehydes have burned off, and the sour/soap vibe simmers down. What comes to the front is a carnation that adds a peppery sharpness and a clovelike coolness. Is there oakmoss in this one? It seems to have a mossy tone as time passes, but it doesn’t really read as a chypre. Current florals don’t seem to venture into this direction, so Ivoire continues to remain above trends, and holds its own turf. Let’s hope its difference guarantees its continued production.

jasmasid
jasmasid

A fabulous chypre, perfect for everyday use and very reasonably priced. I used to wear it all the time, until it started disappearing from the shops. Pity. I think I bought my last bottle two years ago in a small, back-street chemist for about £9 sterling! On me, the scent was very similar to Miss Dior.

stelladoro
stelladoro

Refined, elegant, green, and sophisticated without being overpowering. Excellent sillage and staying power. I believe this has more notes in it than Opium, but while Opium (in my opinion) is cloying, brassy, and overpowering; Ivoire is a careful balance of a complex melange of notes. I find myself wearing it for a few years, putting it back, then bringing it out again. Wonderful memories with this scent.

MrsG
MrsG

As long as I keep it to a minimum, this is another one of the rare fragrances I can wear around His Nibs without sending him staggering for his inhaler or causing him to start exhibiting rather startling shades of cyan from the neck up (take my word on this ~ wearing perfume around someone with COPD can be...ahhh...uhmm..."an adventure")

According to him, "it's a pleasant smell". To me, the opening reminds me a lot of the old original Herbal Essence shampoo ~ the REAL stuff from back in the 70's (what memories!) and keeps on with the grassy/herbally/clean/floral theme It doesn't have a lot of silage ~ it's more of a close-to-the-skin smell but longevity is clocked about about 5-6 hours.

It makes a good Sunday-go-to-meeting scent for me because it's dressy enough to go with dressier stuff but can also go with more casual attire. It's another one that doesn't spook the critters and most importantly, doesn't seem to bother folks like my honeybabysweetiepiesoulmatebestfriend hubby. Good choice for someone who has to be careful about what they wear around someone else.

krmarich
krmarich

Ah, Ivoire. Perhaps the finest chypre ever created. Balmain is a small house that made little noise. Ivoire found me-thanks to Fragrantica. I found a pre-refromulated bottle and was stunned by its compostion. The hesperidic notes open this green clean masterpiece. Oakmoss carries through from the start to finish.

Basically, it is a revolving door of florals and spice that just keep coming. The drama last until the closing of chypre accords-vetiver, patcholi and oakmoss are surrounded by sandalwood, vanilla, ambergris and smokey incense. Its graceful and feminine. Its presence is felt, no less!

The inspriation for M Balmain was sitting in a dark concert hall and he sees a lady in white. The piano concerto begins. The brilliance last for hours and it unforgettable. A standing ovation, indeed!!!He leaves the concert hall and cannot find her...

Not unlike real ivory, Ivoire has become rare and controversial itself. If you can find the original formula, get it immediately. You will find it is quite precious!

Kittycat63

I disagree with FairyDust who says that Ivoire smells like an 'old lady' scent.

Of course, it may be that on FairyDust it smells like an 'old lady' scent, but on many other women clearly it doesn't and it smells lovely. It's all down to body chemistry - either a scent works on you or it doesn't. Ivoire doesn't apparently work well with FairyDust's chemistry so that, for her, is just bad luck. On me (not an old lady!) it smells lovely and, if anything, quite youthful because of the creamy raspberry'ness!

Also, there is no such thing as an 'old lady' scent. Not all older women smell the same, and not all younger women smell the same. Each woman has her own unique smell, regardless of age. The 'old lady' term is, in my opinion, very derogatory and offensive. If a person reviewing a perfume doesn't like a perfume, there are many ways to express that without being rude and obnoxious.

Cubby

I am a teacher of small children. They don't compliment perfume unless they really like it, and I had a little girl AND boy compliment my wearing this. I love it -- both long and short list versions. It is becoming "me"...

...and it's not an old-lady scent. Was Nina Ricci LAT old lady in 1948? Was Rive Gauche old lady in 1971? Was Chanel #19 old lady in the 1970s? What about Chanel #5 today? Or Van Cleef and Arpels' First? One day, Pink Sugar and all the Britney fragrances (if they last the test of time, which classic fragrances tend to do) will be classified as "old lady".

dianthus
dianthus

My nose is little blind while testing some 80' perfumes or the ones with many ingredients. This must happen in this case also. The "Old Lady" label, many of Fragranticans used in here, is good way to describe my blindness...I can feel her in this one too. Very classy but strong in her mind and vigorous Woman in her 70 ties.
Starts cold and bitter like antique men's cologne. Then burst of warmer but still stingy-fresh notes happen(I can't name even the one of them, oh 80-ties!). Base is gentle, not overwhelming and yes - cold like stone! I wonder many minutes how to describe tjis feeling. It is just precious classic greek sculpture in wide hall of palace. The smell which reminds on my wrist is exactly the smell of polish stone sculpture. Not for my 30ties but if I'll be wealthy old lady..who knows?:)

smellsogood
smellsogood

The most heavenly mix of greenery, soapy creamy florals and a base of oakmoss and raspberry, smoothed out with vanilla and incense. This stuff is just oxygen to me. Inhale, exhale mmmmm!

moraine
moraine

Ivoire, in a word, is ethereal.

It builds upon VC&A First, its citrus-aldehyde and woodsy floral predecessor, which left us dreaming in a timeless spring garden... But Ivoire is deeper, stronger, infused with a hidden energy, and sweeps us into the realm of the divine.

This is a perfume for an ageless woodland spirit who runs along a riverbank, not a visitor in her surroundings, but one with the sun-dappled grasses and rippling water. Nothing can touch her here - some hidden power protects her from harm. When I wear Ivoire I feel shielded, somehow, from daily stresses and the stings of hurtful people, as if some part of me is held in that other realm, and more permanent than what remains on earth. I will wear this otherworldly elixir as long as I can find it - which, rumour suggests, won't be for long...

...which brings me to the subject of vintage vs. reformulation - I have one of each, and they are not identical. The most pronounced difference occurs in the opening: in the reformuation it is more aldehydic and the asafoetida's bitterness (beautifully described below by Gillie) becomes harshly dominant rather than subtly accentuating. I wonder if this difference is due to changes in the ingredients themselves, or to some shift in the balance of the composition...?

Don't deprive yourself of the Ivoire experience if you just can't find the vintage - both versions are worth having.

Gillie
Gillie

The pre-reformulation (yes, the one with the short list of ingredients):

Although there is no galbanum in it, you would think so, as Ivoire opens with the dryest cleanest blast of green you can imagine boosted by the bitter edge of asafoetida, marigold and green bergamot. This is not a languorous end-of-the evening bedroom eyes elegance: it is has a tart grassy wide-awake feel--the start of an evening full of diamond-sharp repartee.

I don't detect any fruitiness--and can clearly smell pepper,spices, and carnation along with the icy bright clean soapiness mentioned by other reviewers.

The dry down is warm, elegant, and balanced: smoky vetiver, patchouli, incense and amber.

This is a perfume for discerning lovers of layered complexity, soapy scents, and sharp greens. It is sophisticated, chic, and not at all sweet.

The pre-reformulation lasts and lasts and a little goes a long way. Sadly, my expectations of power and sillage are continually lowered by the weak imitations the once-great houses are now producing--and I am finding that I sometimes over-spritz in compensation: not at all necessary for the high-energy pre-reformulation version of Ivoire.

vialon3
vialon3

"The one I fell head over heals for." For me, it is the BEST!!!! Sillage that takes you along beautifully, long lasting and very loyal. Gorgeous!

adrienn99
adrienn99

I have received a long-awaited sample from a fellow Fragrantican today.

Floral-fruities cant go wrong for me unless they are synthetic.

This one became a little surprise. I did not get any fruits just cumin and woods (yeah, whoa, what etc.).

I am not surprised, chemistry chemistry chemistry or jasmine. latter won't be able to deny such allegations, we all know jasmines can't speak or run away (evil laugh)

Persephone
Persephone

I am praying for the biggest bottle of vintage pure parfum to come my way. I just tried a tiny sample of it and I am blown away. I liked EDT, but if EDT was merely an operette - this is a Rachmaninoff concerto! It was a July day in a magnificent garden of flowers and dewy greenery, sultry but sophisticated, florid but fresh. It is dawn and citruses burst with their cold freshness. The chamomile comes into play, soothing and taking me further into the day. The sun is raising and I can smell the narcotic narcissus, roses and heady orange blossom. The ripe raspberries from their bushes and their humid green leaves. The dusk comes with its most luxurious smell of woods, still warm after a hot day, with a touch of incense. I wish that day never ended! It is the most refined thing I have ever experienced...

miki1968

every times i smell it i love it more

miki1968

i got today 30 ml ivoire for a bargain...i love it is simply gorgeous...

Cubby

I've had my reformulated bottle for one week, and I'm so glad I gave it a chance. Though it doesn't go on as strong and doesn't have the longevity of the vintage, it is so similar that it's hard to tell the difference between the two. This will be good news to those who have loved Ivoire for decades. I am enjoying the new one so much!

maatgirl
maatgirl

I don't know where I read this, but Ivoire was supposedly inspired by Greta Garbo. I can see the rationale behind this: the fragrance is crisply elegant, sophisticated and mysterious, rather than overtly sexy. However, Ivoire, to me, suggests Grace Kelly more strongly than Garbo. Kelly was so lovely, so classy...yet she had a sex appeal that wasn't 'out there,' like her contemporaries Mariyn Monroe or Sophia Loren, but was still undeniable. Ivoire is the fragrance I go to when I need to be crisp, brisk and professional...but it still has a definite girly vibe.
On my skin, I get a green opening with aldehydes, tobacco and a very chic grassy bouquet that is reminiscent from some angles of my dearly beloved Chamade, though Ivoire is greener and lacks that plush, pollen-y, narcissus note that's in the Guerlain masterpiece. I would say that if Ivoire were a wine it would be an aged Bordeaux white: crisp but rich and subtle. I am so glad I rediscovered this!

Cubby

I've been ordering Ivoire from a particular site. Several highly recommended a different e-tailer. I decided to order 3.3 oz. instead of the 1 oz. bottles I had been buying. The 1 oz. bottles had 3-5 ingredients listed on the box, but this new one has so many, I can't count them. AND, it just doesn't smell as wonderful as the first smaller bottles I had been ordering. I'm guessing I received a reformulated version? It didn't last as long either. In a few hours, it was gone. Maybe the previous poster can help me on this one. Seems I read oakmoss compared to oakmoss extract somewhere. This newer, bigger bottle has oakmoss 'extract'. I'm just so disappointed. Ivoire is a beautiful scent; they just don't make fragrances like the original Ivoire anymore. How do I find ones with just a few ingredients listed? Are they the pre-reformulation bottles?

Lady Love
Lady Love

(Vintage Review)

It opens as something I like, but then dries down to a sour and old leather.. So sad.

Ivoire de Balmain is harsh and agressive as White Linen. This fragrance could be the poor sister of Aromatic Elixir.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

Starts as a very smooth floral-herbal scent, slightly aldehydic, with a definite green, weedy note. Yes! That’s the chamomile and marigold! It’s a beautiful opening. As it dries down it becomes a little soapy, but in a good way, like an upscale hotel soap.

The mild, floral-scented soap lasts for a few hours, finally declining to a subtle vanilla amber that is only evident close to the skin. I didn’t smell any oakmoss or sandalwood. Maybe I have a reformulated EdT, but I was expecting a little more oomph in the middle and base. Ivoire is a nice enough scent, I just wish it would follow through all the way with what the top notes promise.

driggs46
driggs46

In my opinion Ivoire is the star of the Balmain collection. I have worn it since it was introduced in the eighties, and it instantly became a favorite. I have had many compliments over the years. One in particular still stands out. I was crossing the street and passed a man going in the opposite direction. Right after I walked by him he yelled back to me "What perfume are you wearing?" I replied "Ivoire," and he said "it's beautiful." His response stuck with me because he was right, it is beautiful.

For me the opening is all aldehydes, but it settles pretty quickly into chamomile, marigold and then carnation. Then it moves into bergamot, and lemon, and on me it lingers there a while. Finally it settles into the ylang-ylang, and lily-of-the-valley, and along with the base notes of sandalwood, amber, patchouli, musk, and incense they all mingle together for the rest of the day or night. It's a very complex fragrance, but it is really "beautiful" too! As others here have said it's a Masterpiece. And remains to this day one of my favorites.

LaPetite
LaPetite

A hugely refined perfume, cetainly not for a high school girl !
It's complex , rich , very noticeable , it makes an ordinary woman become a lady .

What a perfume, what a masterpiece, what a vision this is.

For me this could be one of the most 'obligatory' must have's for us experts here. This perfume is so complex, such an 'allrounder', such a true own identity, so extremely intellectual, soooo luxurious, so communicating style and chic.

And it's just amazing that you can be ALL that for such a good price!!! EXCELLENT, 11 stars!!
***********

kalli2
kalli2

Ivoire has become part of my life - for more than 28 years now, it has been my favourite fragrance and still is. My mother once gave it to me for Christmas - she obviously knew me well. Every now and then I have tried other fragrances belonging to the same family, composed of comparable ingredients. But there's nothing like Ivoire! It is so complex, sophisticated and "rich", yet not overwhelming. It has a retro touch, but is not old-fashioned. I do hope Balmain is never going to change the formula and will always keep on producing this scent - I would feel incomplete without it :-)

Kterhark
Kterhark

(vintage EDT review)

So, I"m really perplexed after seeing the notes, this wears like straight up tobacco on me.

Alright, burning, dry prairie grass, if I have to be more specific. It takes about 10 minutes to get there, but once it hits this accord it's all I get.

On me this is a soft, watery tobacco, I can't say much more than that. I really, really like that it turned out this way, and big thanks to NLS for sending my way!

EIDT:
I've worn my sample 2 months now, which is easy to do since a little goes a long way. Above you can see I hit it off well with Ivoire, but went on to make a mistake: I took it to the jungle wiht me. I used just a small dab, enough to block out the gas fumes from the public bus, but I caught my seatmate turning away and coughing (and assumed it was from me).

Oh-oh. That's when I realized how loud the aldehydes really are here. And now, this is all I smell. So while I loved htis in the beginning, familiarity set in and it became too harsh. For me the aldehydes were the death blow, but if you like this note in general you should be OK.

cloyd42
cloyd42

I don't know if this is a Je Reviens tribute or knock-off. My guess is Balmain started with the Worth then filled in some holes with artemesia, vanilla and carnation. In any case, the final result is satisfying and unbelievably priced. The initial opening can feel like a synthetic blast, like the aldehydes want to get out of town. As it warms, the spices and florals develop, with the sweetness of the orange and violet balanced by marigold (like movie blood would smell) and musk. The effect is like the best soap in the world, like an outside shower in the summer after the beach.

janudy
janudy

I am glad I didn't purchase this unsniffed-my skin just amplified the pepper and carnation--I smelled like lemon pepper all night. However, I did spill some from the sample and had to clean the mess with a tissue--and that tissue smelled sooo good. You could hardly detect the pepper, the aldehydes weren't screaming, I could smell the lemon, a hint of spice, and something "plummy" for lack of a better term--the tissue smelled terrific. My skin did not.

milena
milena

I received this perfume today and it is a lovely floral classic. It is luxurious sweet green and warm scent. Classic and elegant.Love it.

blueberry
blueberry

Grassy, green, fresh and flowery, elegant, classy, sophisticated, mature. A combination of great notes, amongst which I detect aldehydes and lilly of the valley especially. All in all, a superb perfume. I hope this fragrance will never be discontinued as it is a real olfactory treasure.

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

Fruity floral? No way! This a glorious soapy & dusty melange of flowers and aromatic herbage. So vintage, elegant and delicate, something a real 'lady' would wear. To an afternoon picnic in a beautiful park.

Nothng is wrong in Ivoire world. It is a smooth, happy place blooming with sunshine and puppies. Absolutely gorgeous experience.

applemint
applemint

The opening is lovely and sweetly flowery, oozing innocence, but without mature personality.
Then..... as if night settles and night bloomers start to open up.
Sharp fragrance of flowers and incense rise.
It reminds me of a secluded and empty little church where there is a continual presence of awe and burning incense.
A literally angelic presence.
As for me, this is the parfum that covers me emotionally and pleases me the most.

Mitsouko
Mitsouko

Ivory are great, are difficult to describe - associated me with luxuorious soap and with garden after the rain, with the smell .... porcelain dolls too. It depends how you look on it.
This aroma is very sophisticated, though restrained as Greta Garbo, who loved parfum Ivoiry. Yes, this smell is an ideal fragrance portrait of Greta Garbo and sometimes ...mine.
I am very picky and have very little perfume, but Ivory I have two bottles. It is brilliant!

This is a masterpiece. I think they got the category mixed up with the Eau D'Ivoire. The regular Ivoire is the floral green and the Eau D'ivoire is the Floral Fruity.
Good luck!

Kittycat63

Ivoire is complex, addictive, elegant and one of the loveliest perfumes I've ever smelled.

It's grassy, sharp and energising to begin with but settles down to a lovely soft, fruity, honeyed smell which is gorgeous. The raspberry is the most prominent note on me at that stage but it's not a cheap, candy-like fruitiness which pervades a lot of current perfumes and is much softer, sexy, warm and stylish than that. It's a surprisingly timeless, womanly and sexy perfume and makes me feel great when I wear it. I actually can't wait to wear it and always get excited now when I put it on. I agree with one reviewer here who said it's not for sissies and It takes a confident, self-assured woman to be able to pull it off. A couple of reviewers here though have compared it to Chanel No.5 and Chanel No.19 but I totally disagree and I don't think either of those perfumes come anywhere near to being as lovely as Ivoire. It's a very unique perfume and I couldn't begin to compare it to any other I've ever smelled.

I have a large collection of perfumes but Ivoire has become one of my all-time favorites and I couldn't be without now.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

Gosh, I usually can't stand aldehydes due to their spinstery strictness but Ivoire- it's divine!! Haughty as it should be but with a sexy outdoorsy feel to it, probably from the camomile which is evident to my nose (This is what Caleche should smell like!)and an initial blast of narcissus akin to 'First'. It's a very expensive and luxurious smelling scent for the price and I don't think it's dated. Ivoire is a green floral to me yet stands alone as a little masterpeice next to No 19 and Cristalle, warmer than either and just as sophisticated. It's reminiscent of golden summer fields after the hay has been cut. It does remind me of'Camay' in a lovely retro way - visions of blondes with pinned up hair bathing in 70's style - flake chocolate bar optional!!

Cyndyava
Cyndyava

I somehow obtained a mini-bottle of this when I was sixteen. I fell in love with the "exotic" lovely name and the little glass bottle. To my sixteen year old nose, it just smelled good and sophisticated...like the woman I wanted to some day grow up to be. PS: I ended up taking that bottle with me to summer camp that year. Turned out to be a special summer...met my first love and lost my virginity. This perfume is indeed, magical.

rithacha
rithacha

Thank you darlingbuds for the extra sample! You definitely hit my taste on the mark :)

I wouldn't classify this as fruity floral myself. The general feel of Ivoire is very chypre-like, arid and rich.

The opening is just wow oh wow green herbal bomb. I'm a huge sucker for charmomile, and Ivoire doesn't skimp out on us here. It's green, sharp, a little high-pitched, but massively invigorating. It doesn't stop there - Ivoire then takes me to a dry flower/citrus. Feisty carnation, dried lemon zest, crackling patchouli, preserved rose petals with pepper and cinnamon thrown on top. This dry atmosphere isn't the unbearable aridity of a desert; rather, it reminds me of an aged wooden chair at an antique shop and a scratchy cushion thrown on top. Aged, anitque, adorably abrasive. Old lady IN THE BEST WAY POSSIBLE. The basenotes gently appear to cushion the flowers as they depart. Moss moss moss and raspberry preserve! I'm smitten.

And the price is ridiculous. $10 a pop?! Highly recommend.

Today I continued my foray into Pierre Balmain's collection, having worn MISS BALMAIN for longer than I had anticipated (I awoke this morning still wrapped in a faint aura of dried leather..).

I was pleasantly surprised by IVOIRE, which hit me initially with its retro-lemon edge. Yet Ivoire has a very classic, elegant feeling, and a truly unique personality that I was really not expecting. The aldehydes here are faint, as are the florals, to my nose. The lemon persisted throughout all phases while making room for a complex melange of spicey and chypre-like elements. I was feeling coriander, but now that I look at the list of notes, I see that it might have been pepper and asafoetida instead.

This is a very warm fragrance with zero sweetness, not really "fruity" at all, since lemon and bergamot are sharp condiments, not edible fruits. I find that the lemon really commands attention here, imparting an acrid juiciness to an otherwise dry, shadowy scent.

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

Very deep dark smoky scent! Its beautiful and curves to the oriental scents according to my nose. Its very powerful. I will always love this though I don't ware it anymore.

deeper_shallow
deeper_shallow

Got this from my aunt (yes, the KL aunt) back in high school. From the reviews, it appears to be gorgeous on the right person, but on me, there was just a very sharp lemon scent, and then nothing.

amelie

Ivoire is so feminine, elegant creamy, fruity and well balanced scent,nothing stands out or is strange, this is the woman in the full sense, a little coquettish, but aristocratic, a fragrance that leaves a good impression. There is a bit strange start and then it seems a bit retro, bitter, but after ten minutes becomes perfectly blended with the skin, lasts a long time although EDT.
Reminiscent of the fineness Caleche but not by a fragrant note. While Caleche distant, Ivoire is warm, feminine fragrance. Both fragrances are very sophisticated. Ivoire has a fullness that always inspired me. For me this is one of the 10 best perfume ever.

gutobega
gutobega

chypre, floral, green and a bit fruity.
A little old to my nose, but I like this, remember me sophistication.

jcmunich
jcmunich

Ivoire de Balmain is the fragrance of my childhood. My mother still wears it today, so I could not even try to write an objective review :) Ivoire is one of my all time favourites. I love its metallic, green start, its non sweet floral notes and its complex and wonderful dry down. Elegant, timeless and hopefully they will never change its formula to adapt to todays consumers' taste.

There are a lot of canation smell but nice and soapy so so sophisticated and classy perfums I have 3 bottle to get so i am happy and I feel like rich woman .

bandkh
bandkh

To me, Ivoire de Balmain smells like a flower garden after a summer shower. I do however find it a bit too strong for a hot day and prefer to wear this in cooler weather at night. It's combination of floral top and middle notes combine beautifully with it's more sensuous base notes. Following a slightly soapy smelling phase, it softens quite powdery on my skin and is a fragrance I choose when I want to feel pampered and elegant. It's not for sissies!

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

When I asked for recommendations on a Balmain scent to try, multiple Fragrantica members responded with this suggestion. As always, the friendly perfume lovers on this website are full of good advice. :-)

With Ivoire de Balmain, it was love at first sniff! It's such a beautiful, sophisticated and timeless fragrance, perfect for any age.

There's a lot going on with this scent. I get a dry citrus floral to start, which dries down to a clean, soapy green scent. About three hours in, the beautiful incense and vetiver emerge. I don't detect a lot of the sweeter notes like carnation, raspberry and vanilla, but I suspect they are softening what could have been a sharper green accord in the hands of a less-talented perfumer.

Ivoire is a skillful blend of diverse aromas that every woman ought to try. There's truly something in this scent for lovers of every fragrance category, and the price is very affordable for such a masterpiece!

Kama
Kama

Ivoire de Balmain used to be Greta Garbo's signature perfume...

Mals86
Mals86

Starts out with a blast of galbanum and reminds me quite a bit of Chanel No. 19 (which I love). However, instead of the warm and elegant heart and mesmerizing leather-vetiver drydown of 19, Ivoire becomes a clean-soap, nondescript floral with a faintly mossy base.

With all those basenotes, where did the drydown go? It's all soap and moss on me. I'd love to have the "rosy, honeyed warmth" Leesee describes, but I'm not getting it.

Edit: I wasn't waiting long enough, or possibly spritzing enough volume! Recently, I sprayed it on one evening after supper, and the next morning, my wrists smelled divine - plush and honeyed is correct. I DO have to grit my teeth through the soapy-moss stage, which I dislike and which lasts a couple of hours on me, but the sweet ending is worth it.

FURTHER EDIT: As my tastes have grown, Ivoire has grown on me. Its slightly-bitter edge is perfect and refreshing in summer humidity, with that honeyed drydown arriving after the sun goes down. It's beautiful.

Leesee
Leesee

The opening notes of this scent are cool and tourmaline green, with a refreshing, tart quality that borders on bitterness, while the drydown is all rosy, honeyed warmth -- plush and inviting. An elegant and intensely feminine fragrance.

belle de sud
belle de sud

Ivoire is a truly sophisticated luxurious perfume, perfect for the elegant and empowered moments of life. It's aura of complex florals and sensuous basenotes are always right for feeling classy, expensive and chic. I get many compliments while wearing this one.

Belle de Sud

Malegria
Malegria

When I was 14, I tried it the very first time. It was too loud to wear everyday and even on special occasions at that age, but I fell upon it`s bitter charms and wore it to bed, dreaming about growing up. It is very complicated and bright, starts out green and shrill, but quiets down to honey and herbs. I still love it, but it started to give me a headache. It`s not cozy anymore in bed too. But - sometimes I still wear it just to feel it`s heartbeat.

esprit2fly
esprit2fly

Ivoire was one of the fragrances that I bought "blind". It's one of the sophisticated and classy perfums I ever had.
While introducing this creation, Pierre Balmain explained that, a couple of years beforehand, during the premiere of an opera in Paris, he had had an almost abstract vision of the ideal woman, the woman of one's dreams par excellence. Amdist the red velvet in the loge, he caught a glimpse of the lumious silhouette of a woman in pale silk - elegant and distant. He retained this image in his mind's eye and began to imagine a perfume inspired by this woman.

F_A
F_A

Energising like lying on a freshly cut grass among meadow flowers. Nice scent!

P.S. There's a mistake in the spelling of name - should be IVOIRE, not IVORIE

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Pierre Balmain Ivoire de Balmain fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Pierre Balmain Ivoire de Balmain, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Ivoire de Balmain by Pierre Balmain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Ivoire de Balmain by Pierre Balmain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.