Designers » N-Q » Leather « Groups

Jolie Madame Pierre Balmain for women
dislike

leather
Jolie Madame Pierre Balmain for women Pictures

Jolie Madame by Pierre Balmain is a Leather fragrance for women. Jolie Madame was launched in 1953. The nose behind this fragrance is Germaine Cellier. Top notes are artemisia, coriander, gardenia, neroli, bergamot, petitgrain and cloves; middle notes are tuberose, narcissus, orris root, jasmine, rose, orange blossom, violet leaf and lilac; base notes are leather, patchouli, musk, coconut, civet, oakmoss, vetiver, cedar and tobacco.

Artemisia Coriander Gardenia Neroli Bergamot Petitgrain Cloves

Habanita Eau de Parfum

Jolie Madame Fragrance Reviews

jolieshirley
jolieshirley

J'ai été attirée par la marque Balmain ou le chic à la Française, l'âge vénérable du parfum, son nom et son beau flacon très classique.
C'est un floral cuir épicé très riche et très élégant, un parfum couture en effet, quand je le porte j'ai l'impression d'avoir un tailleur, un collier de perles et un chignon banane, bref je me sens Audrey Hepburn.
Il ne serait plus commercialisé, quel dommage; un chef d'oeuvre de la parfumerie voué à disparaître, apparemment.

Parfumee
Parfumee

JOLIE MADAME

BALMAIN

GROUP: FLORAL CHYPRE

NOTES: ARTEMISIA CORIANDER GARDENIA NEROLI BERGAMOT
PETITGRAIN CLOVES TUBEROSE NARCISSUS ORRIS JASMINE ROSE ORANGE BLOSSOM VIOLET LILAC LEATHER MUSK PATCHOULI COCONUT CIVET OAK MOSS VETIVER CEDAR WOOD TOBACCO

SILLAGE: MODERATE RADIATES WITHN ARM'S LENGTH

LONGEVITY: VERY LONG LASTING 7 HOURS PLUS

REMINDS ME OF: 30 CARATS DANA FRACAS BANDIT PIGUET MISS DIOR OCCUR AVON PASSION ELIZABETH TAYLOR SPECTACULAR JOAN COLLINS

Vintage Jolie Madame, circa 1953, was the fragrance that my grandmother said, and I quote, "that changed perfume and transitioned itself into the 50's". That being said, I feel that it is very much out of the 1940's and doesn't smell too dissimilar from such fragrances as Piguet's Bandit and Fracas. Jolie Madame has leather in Bandit, a bad ass leather, musk, animalic notes of real civet, and tobacco leaves, smoke, and of course smoky floral scents. In this way it's Bandit. But as it opens with citrus and white flowers it's more like Fracas. The end result is a hybrid or "child" born to both parents Fracas and Bandit. As such she is the new generation of perfume. My grandmother adored this perfume and she wore it as a young woman, a new mother, and she always believed this fragrance brought her luck. She did some modeling for perfume ads and for women's fashion ads in the 50's. This was the perfume she always dabbed on to feel as beautiful as the gowns, dresses and suits she showed off in those ads.

Balmain specializes in chypres so I have always regarded this fragrance as being a chypre, or floral chypre. It does not begin with classic aldehydes. The neroli and citrus notes are a good replacement for aldehydes: fresh, cool, cold, brilliant. The citrus notes blend well with the orange blossom. The orange blossom/orange grove tree scent is quite lovely. The flowers begin to bloom: gardenia, tuberose, violet, rose and lilac. A bouquet of beautiful flowers. Essence of spring. You get enough time to smell the flowers and enjoy them before the scent dries down to notes of woodsy order: cedar wood and oak moss. There's a lot of oak moss and vetiver. This part of the fragrance gives it a mature quality and nocturnal character. The smoke from tobacco begins to warm up the flowers and the leather makes it's appearance. It feels like a young lady wearing a dark evening gown entirely of black leather, including gloves.

The spiciness of coriander becomes apparent and the cloves, giving this fragrance a darker edge, earthy, bold, and a bit like 30 Carats by Dana. The musk and leather plus coconut would not normally go together but this is actually a good pairing. It reminds me of the coconut/leather/musk in such frags as Avon's Occur! and Passion by Elizabeth Taylor, as well as the leather in Joan Collins' Spectacular. This is an evening cologne for a sexy confident woman in a bad ass leather dress. It doesn't have to go with leather but it matches up with a woman wearing a dress that makes a statement. I can smell this on old Hollywood stars of sex appeal like Rita Hayworth, Marilyn Monroe, Lana Turner and Ava Gardner. If I had to pick one actress that this perfume is for it's Ava. She has dark hair, loves flowers but is also a bold seductress. That naughty tobacco scent. Are you supposed to be smoking in front of gentlemen dear? Are you in a beautiful dress but you are longing to undress?

This was a very sexy retro perfume that can still be found on ebay and it's a vintage lover's dream. I enjoy wearing it myself and have the original that my grandmother kept and another one, still full, that I am now wearing. I wear it for rare formal occasions as an evening cologne. This is for women that know who they are.

giampaolo.baldoni
giampaolo.baldoni

I treasure this masterpiece as my favourite vintage perfume ever (along with "Vol de Nuit" extrait, "Y" pdt, and "Mitsouko" edp)
This one has "Cellier" written all over it: the crisp gardenia, luscious, soapy violet, a kick of leather in bold, sophisticated Bandit-Style and a whiff of tobacco.
Nothing like it has been created ever since La Cellier composed this timeless fragrance. Perfection in a bottle.

EnidZaig
EnidZaig

I managed to pick up a small vintage bottle of the pure parfum of Jolie Madam on eBay. Whilst I enjoy the complexity of such an 'olde worlde' perfume, I can't wear this in public as it has a 'dope smoke' note in with the leather and violets on my skin similar to Habanita - so I can't risk my reputation!

rigel
rigel

Ho acquistato recentemente un edt vintage.Mi piace la sua persistenza elegante e ben bilanciata.Richiama note di altri " Vecchi " profumi ma qui il bouquet è tutto arrotondato e delicato.

Le parfum c'est chic
Le parfum c'est chic

Un autre très beau parfum de la grande Germaine Cellier. Un magnifique chypré cuiré adoucie par une merveilleuse note de violette.

Jyrhara
Jyrhara

All the complexity of this perfume is sadly lost on me. I don't smell leather, just a soft green ...shampoo. Maybe I should try it again in warmer weather. Hope it'll work better.
Edit: I just remembered, it was birch-based shampoo: guess that makes sense.

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

PRETTY WOMAN

Vintage 1953 Jolie Madame was created by Germaine Cellier who brought us such masterpieces as Bandit, Fracas, Vent Vert Coeur Joie. This was a fragrance for the designer fashion house of Pierre Balmain. In the late 60's, Cellier would again work on another Balmain fragrance Miss Balmain. All these fragrances are timeless epic creations of such absolute beauty. If you liked Fracas you'll love Jolie Madame. Women of the 40s 50's and 60's were spoiled by such fantastic fragrances! I would gladly go back in time to the 50's and live there and not come back to 2016. This fragrance is pure enchantment. I can smell it on Audrey Hepburn, Natalie Wood, Elizabeth Taylor, Grace Kelly and ladies of leisure having lunch in Paris, Manhattan and London. A stylish fragrance that matches the classic couture of Balmain's artistry. Aldehydes, Cloves, Gardenia neroli and bergamot are the first scents I could detect at first. It's just a little bit like the opening to L'air du Temps by Nina Ricci. The heart is heavily floral, white floral and this way it does have something in common with Fracas. It's big on tuberose. There is also roses, jasmines, violets, lilacs orange blossom and narcissus. Easily wearable as a wedding day fragrance for brides of the 50's. After about 4 or more hours you're already experiencing the dry down and the fragrance of the supportive base notes. It's leathery, dark, animalic, musky and woodsy. Leather is what most people remember about this fragrance. But for me it's not real leather. It's clearly just classic musk found in most men's colognes. A distinct tobacco scent is also present giving it a smokiness and sexiness. The woods, namely the oak, are soft. This fragrance has everything but fruity notes other than the opening citrus. It starts of fresh, turns floral and then turns smoky woodsy. The tobacco could almost pass for incense. Wearing this fragrance and letting my imagination soar made me think that this is a fragrance for young women who are being introduced to society. This is a debutante's fragrance or a bridal fragrance. This is a woman who is opening the doors to life itself, who is embarking on a new discovery, taking on a new role, and a new beginning. This is so beautiful. I had to get my hands on the old vintage perfume and thanks to my Lucia in London I got it. Sorry ladies us women of today don't wear real perfume. This was real perfume, it has everything so much beauty. Make me cry. For me the last great fragrance by Balmain was Ivoire de Balmain which would have been my signature scent had I not fallen in love with Arpege. For all the vintage lovers of the world, wear this fragrance and go back in time when women smelled better than we do today!

Walking Unicorn
Walking Unicorn

I have 3 vintage bottles and am a little frustrated because they all smell different. From all of these bottles I get a heavy base of vetiver, leather, oakmoss, but from the one bottle that is most fragrant I also smell orris root, cloves and coriander along with some violet, jasmine and tobacco in the background. I wish I had more to say but the different smells from the bottles is a disappointment to me. Such a classic perfume and I'm not sure what it really smells like.

houstcs
houstcs

I love the violet sharpness and green/leather accords, but find the urine background hard to shake off. Too animal for my taste at times.

Petunia50
Petunia50

Soft florals and creamy leather on a mossy base. I don't smell a true leather note in Jolie Madame but more of a supple creaminess. The violet and Iris florals are soft and understated. The mossy base lends a bit of earthiness. This is a lovely scent for spring. Although it has been reformulated it still has a vintage feel. Love this scent!

kvan
kvan

Love it. I tried the vintage first and it had a sourness to the narcissus that I couldn't enjoy. This (current version like picture) is perfectly fresh while still being fairly complex, quite oak mossy, and very very leathery. This is my new bravery perfume. Pretty, complex, long lasting, and no-nonsense.

Rie60
Rie60

Just got the 1.7 of this- not my thing I'm finding- just too....TOO for me. Looking to swap-

jessora
jessora

Bursting violets and prim, ladylike leather with middle notes of spearmint and coriander seed. Springy, vivacious and playful. After the rain in mid May, walking through the city with wet green flower planters outside of the shops in the mists.

vos
vos

I think i have a reformulated version. A lovely sophisticated leather fragrance that stays with me for just about 15 minutes....so sad that i cannot enjoy this scent since it has no staying power on my skin.

CeceliaHuynh
CeceliaHuynh

I just found out that this is the same perfumer as Fracas!

A wonderful vintage perfume in a charming bottle at a very good price. This is a lovely, well-balanced floral. It's not very distinctive but sometimes you just need to smell nice without standing out.

therealpaloma54
therealpaloma54

Jolie Madame couldn't work for me due to the leathery base notes. I just can't do leather, although I like it on others.

carlayorke
carlayorke

This is beautiful and elegant and a little heavy but sadly smells terrible on me!
I really love the idea of wearing classic deep scents like this but they don't love wearing me.
That's okay, because at least I know I have good taste in fabulous scents. Just can't wear them.
Glad I have tried it out :)

gracenote-floralspice
gracenote-floralspice

Stunning. Wonderfully complex. Never a lover of violet, I find this an eye opener, but together with the leather it is a non-conformist, and indeed a reformer. I have some of the Robert Piguet fragrances with leather notes. They are lovely. However, this is so different, sweet, but not sugary. The leather gives it a maturity and substance. Deep purple or pink in olfactory appearance, if that is possible, but not remotely girlish, rather a kind of dusty pink. Would wear it in the winter out with friends. My outfit: a unique jersey dress, leggings and gorgeous boots, mandolin in hand at a jazz or some other more informal performance. Definitely a night on the town fragrance.Also for a lady of substance and perhaps more mature. Thanks to PB for this stunner!

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

Moss and other bitter and sour flowers and plants combo with powdery notes, nobel devine classy perfume, old fashion, mature frag, good longevity, I like it. Vintage version review.

lanuitblanche
lanuitblanche

My review is for the vintage EDT.

This is the most joyful violet I have ever smelled! This one doesn’t have a lick of melancholy or introspection — let Apres L’Ondee wallow in her gauzy sentimental dreams. Jolie Madame is the fast-paced click of heels on wet pavement after a sun-shower, impatient to get to wherever she is going, breathless to be doing something exciting.

The leather is extremely smooth, and melds so beautifully with the violet that you wonder why this combination doesn’t appear together more often. The violet is green, and makes the leather glisten and shine -- the leather cracks its whip to keep the violet dirty enough to keep from becoming dowdily Victorian. The dry-down is slightly sweet and powery but has a bit of spice to add a sultry violet sheen to the skin.

A delicately framed girl with sparkling eyes and nerves of steel, Jolie Madame is a very urban violet. The vintage ad from the 50s with the laughing woman with a shock of black hair really epitomizes this fragrance! The young women of the fifties must have been gloriously fierce!

carolg

Sadly, it seems, Jolie Madame has been totally discontinued by the powers that be who own the licence to Parfums Balmain.

I am so devastated to learn of this as Jolie Madame was introduced to me by my dear Mother in the 1980s. I had the pure parfum (pre reformulation) and adored it. I followed trends in fragrance, moving on to the new fruity florals and forgot about my dear JM and by the time i came to my senses and wanted JM in pure parfum, she had already been pared down to EDT.

I wish perfume houses had not disbanded and sold licences to big corporations etc. Nothing is sacred anymore.

My dear mother passed away 2nd February 1999, along with my heart and soul; now i have to say goodbye to another part of me... RIP Jolie Madame, along with another love, Rochas Femme :(

Gjilchrist
Gjilchrist

A violet leather chypre. To my nose, that's pretty much as good as it gets. Add to that a significant longevity on my ordinarily scent-evicting skin and sillage that evokes compliments from sexy strangers, and I'm sold. Jolie Madame will have a permanent place in my collection. Germaine Cellier did not mess around.

houzi
houzi

I have a problem with leather in perfumes, so whenever I sample a fragrance featuring prominent leather, I first have to get past this commanding note before I can even attempt to appreciate the scent. Sometimes it proves impossible (thank you, Cabochard, for literally giving me a night full of terrors:).

I was bracing myself before my first encounter with Jolie Madame, seeing that leather was the most voted among the composition's notes on Fragrantica. I was basically expecting to be smacked on the head with a leather fly swat, but I decided that I had to try this classic perfume at least once anyway. I'm glad I did - the experience was interesting and informative, even if not exactly fun.

In short, Jolie Madame is like a flower bouquet wrapped in leather:) For me the perfume is far from enjoyable, but not unpleasant. I have visions of dashing, James Bond-esque types revelling in old-time glamour. They're smoking cigars in leather-upholstered penthouse interiors and flirting with martini sipping ladies with meticulous hairdos.

The scene looks kind of cool, but I can't help the feeling that I'm looking at a vignette or at a convex, round-corner screen of an antique TV set. The perfume makes me think of the somewhat attractive but mostly stale and musty imprint that all these cocktail parties must have left on the place.

These's just no way I could become friends with this classic, formal, old-school, eccentric madame, but she's got my respect.

Shivana
Shivana

I am not too sure there is a place for such a scent in our world anymore.

A beautfiul, spectacular and complex fragrance that will take you on a journey around the world to every exotic and exciting city. I am reminded of Casablanca, Egypt, India, old James Bond movies.

A slice of the old world without feeling *old*.

This is what a classy sophicated French beauty of the 50-60's would of worn. (and I am sure they did)

Not it any way modern if you like bubblegum scents of today.

A true masterpiece to which I am addicted.

Jacster
Jacster

Why on earth was this gutsy little number given the name Jolie Madame (Pretty Lady)? It's more like Femme Torride (Raunchy Woman)!

The vintage parfum version is taunting me, stopping me doing my work because I just have to keep lowering my head to the crook of my arm to get yet another olfactory fix of this seductive beauty.

On my skin this opens with a short-lived - almost blink-of-an-eye - mustiness which very soon develops into a distinct violet note. Unmistakable. I'm not one who normally thinks in colour, but when I detect Jolie Madame's top notes all I 'see' is purple. For me there are no white flowers in this floral arrangement.

After about an hour the violets shrink to almost non-existence and, in their place, come the ... what is that?? Animal? Civet? Barnyard? I can't quite place it but to me the violets are replaced by a slightly dirty yet pleasant odour.

Finally, the leather and smoke. Warm, enveloping and blissfully satisfying.

Maybe this 'Madame' is a particular type. The perfectly made-up one who's been around the block quite a few times, who watches her 'girls' and takes men's money. First impression is all-woman and floral, then the animal takes over, and finally the smoking of the traditional cigarette. Let's not think about where the leather comes in ...

Femme Torride indeed!

Njensen1
Njensen1

Dear lord..I have only just received a small sample of this from a swap with Museumgal, but...I am amazed! I am instantly transported to the Indian Bazaar, a small Indian shop to buy Asian clothes, food goods, body products and more..And it always had that distinctly "Indian" smell about the place..Like spics, patchouli, incense, and something wildly sweet and almost sweaty. In a few moments, those tunes are turned down, and I get more sweet florals, which remind me of sweet pea. It must be the jasmine and narcissus coming into play. I still have the scent of the busy and aromatic Bazaar on my clothes, but now have hopped into a cool cab and sit with a beautiful Indian hostess, who mildly dabs on her patchouli and jasmine attar. Gorgeous. The lasting power is...Okay. It sticks around, but after the first few minutes, it does not project very well.

Jillmcshaw1
Jillmcshaw1

I have to agree with 2746cstreet all I got from this was civet, dust and cat litter box, and a little later some one brings in a bouquet of daffodils. If I ever become a crazy cat lady this is what my house will smell like, stale cat urine and an under current of pretty perfume. I will save this for when that time comes, probably in about 5 years!

Vintage EDT

Museumgal
Museumgal

The leather is prominent but not overwhelming. Not strong as the note usually is. It is very soft and well blended with the mustiness of the oakmoss and the fresh floral of the violet leaves. A beautiful truly feminine leather. Great for women who are concerned that leather is too masculine a note. Lasts well and is good for day to night wear.

vintage_scent
vintage_scent

This is simply the most sophisticated, beautiful violet/leather scent out there. Gorgeous, grownup, multi-faceted. This is one Grande Dame. I can see the great Marlene Dietrich wearing this...especially in one of her tuxedoes and fedoras. Ah yes, such class...

I purchased a mini of this, which I rarely ever do, because of the disaster Miss Balmain was on my skin. Jolie Madame was better, but not by much.
Starts off very, very animalic. All I could smell was civet. Then I get a slightly chemical smelling leather. Like brand new leather that's been heavily treated. It settles into a muddled, musty funk like a dusty attic + catbox.
I think I could have liked this fragrance if there wasn't that musty/dusty/stale smell that completely pervaded it. I was very sad this did not work out as leather, violets, vetiver and tobacco sounded amazing and I'm jealous of those who can wear this successfully.
I was able to "spray it forward" to someone who enjoys it so a happy ending.

Assiduosity
Assiduosity

Jolie Madame, even in the latest toilette, stands as a salutary reminder of a previous kind of perfume.

It is a more careworn and perhaps caring sort of scent, one which seeks not to portray a perfected idea of the world but rather to suggest memories and make associations that are more real and realistically rough edged and imperfect.

It all starts with a phalanx of surprisingly savoury sweet violets.

The reason for this unsyrupy tone is quickly revealed as a slightly decayed structure of oakmoss, vetiver and animal smells, principally leather.

As the initially plush floral note fades, but never disappears, this leather truly comes to the fore and shows itself to be of an older, battered jacket type, aromatically weathered with coriander, petitgrain and not too much tobacco smoke.

Like an actual leather jacket, once one is accustomed to the scent it can tend to be subsumed into notions of the person who’s wearing it and when they have worn it.

In this sense Jolie Madame is a memory scent, a doorway into different pasts and places according to the whim of those who wear it and those who smell it.

Unlike so many contemporary perfumes, this sympathetically reformulated 1950s classic, does not close us in to a simple reading, but allows a little free thinking.

If only more fragrances today were as keen on freedom.

*************

One has the sense that this could be quite as Jolie for a Monsieur as a Madame.

amelie

Sharp, even masculine leather perfume, reminded me of great Miss Balmain; this is a scent that will surely outshine many, there is simply no room for other fragrances. Rich, complex, simply leaves you breathless!

Abendlicht
Abendlicht

I really like this. I have the current EDT and sadly it goes away so fast! Totally disappear on my skin and clothes. I get white floral mostly at first it's very feminine and very dry and sharp. The dry down gets more powdery.... But goes away fast. I'm sure it's due to the recent formulation. It's not as strong as I expected too. I did four of five sprays on myself in mid afternoon yesterday and my husband didn't detect it at 5:30. It's inexpensive, but you have to keep spraying... I'm sure it wasn't like this with the original! It smells timeless and somewhat nostalgic to me.

amelie

Have it on both wrists now; sexy, smoky, leathery...oakmoss, petit grain, coriander...everything is there. Balmain is a master! For years I wore Ivoire de Balmain, it's that same sharpness mixed with femininity, somewhat rudely pinches your nostrils...that's the leather...resembles Miss Balmain, same vibe, but Jolie Madame is more layered and feminine. Actually it's the smell of a real woman.
Hvala ti, emily7! It's a masterpiece, indeed.

akats
akats

I tested an edt new formulation. This is nice, but weak. As it is mentioned, it is better to find a vintage bottle if you want the strong leather feeling. If you want a subtle close to skin a bit leathery..a bit violet fragrance, new edt is perfect for everyday use. There is a faint resemblance to Caboschard (new formulation) indeed, yet Caboschard is stronger and more spiced to my nose. I liked new Jolie Madame, but I may search the real "wild thing"

French Boudoir Doll
French Boudoir Doll

So many wonderful reviews here I will not try to just waste words...
***Original formula review EDT***
I think I have died and gone to violet heaven....oh how dreamy. This little toilette knocks my knickers loose! How sublime!!! I am very proud of this new addition to the family...

chickenpotpie
chickenpotpie

As its been said, there's a lot of differences between vintage and the recent versions, even more so with parfum to edt!

The current EDT I have is more like a violet candy with suede note thrown in. Slightly loud on the floral at first spray but it calms down quickly. I don't get any tobacco or oakmoss at all. Sillage is a little heavy at first but lightens considerably (I use 3-4 sprays), but longevity is quite bad, about 3-4 hours.

The vintage parfum is way way deeper and lasts a long time. leather in this borders on horse stable (could be the added civet who knows) and I FINALLY get tobacco in all its gloriousness! And though I smell the florals I can now pick out different ones. Like, I now can tell its violet leaf, rose, jasmine dirtyness and gardenia;. I don't smell any tuberose at all to be honest. I can smell the vetiver as well. These notes to me smell way more natural...likely because they were, than the more recent version. The musk is really divine here, its way in the back but not harsh its just beautiful.

This perfume has multiple stages, and its really nice to finally get them.

Now that I have the vintage I do smell the syntheticness of the current version. I would advise that if you already like and enjoy the current, don't get vintage, sometimes its best to not know....you know, pandora's box and all that.

Its unusual for sure in both recent and vintage versions but, its no contest as to what smells better to me.

Jndena
Jndena

Once again, beware to blind buyers: the EDT is VERY weak. The price for the EDT is seductive, and based on the reviews below, it seems like a no lose proposition. But unless you are hoping for a skin scent, don't bother. I'm puzzled how anyone could find the EDT loud or strong. If there is a stronger version available, I recommend that instead. Otherwise, I recommend for testing first.

LOLAISA
LOLAISA

I got today from discount shop Jolie Madame and also fund in the same shop CABOCHARD! What a find! It was the only 2 perfumes sold in this shop and as I knew before that both this perfumes are leather scents I only wanted to buy Jolie Madame, I thought that this two are similar, but NO not at all, nothing even close! If you like leather you have to own BOTH!!! I bought both and I'm in love with this to perfumes!!!
Jolie Madame appear to be much lighter and more wearable then I thought it would be when I was reading reviews, although someone mentioned that it can be a unisex scent, I would say it is VERY FEMININE!!! Starts very powdery Violet plus Orris root on me. It becomes leathery in 30 minutes and last a long time.
What a GORGEOUS scent! In my top 10!!!

panda0410
panda0410

I bought this hoping for a deep violet/leather accord based on reviews. What I get is pretty tame by comparison. It opens with violet, and settles to a very faint soft suede leather on florals with a hefty bit of oakmoss and vetiver for smoky accord. Its also very powdery and dries down to be very soapy. I was sorely hoping the civet would make an announcement since I love civet and crave it in certain perfumes, but its as pale as the leather in this fragrance, both a good bit shy of anything even remotely close to what I was looking for. Theres nothing old ladyish or heavy about it, nor is it sexy, seductive, or otherwise. Its a light, clean, feminine, warm, winter fragrance with style, elegance and class. The search for a good leather/violet fragrance continues.

carolg

I love this fragrance as my Mother introduced me to it in the 1980s. I bought the pure perfume and loved it so much. I now savour the EDT as it has the same notes, but not the depth and opulence of the Parfum.

I wonder if Jolie Madame is discontinued as it is not so available now ?

What with the demise of Rochas perfumes being dumped forever by Proctor and Gamble, I am getting the feeling that something tragic has also happened to Balmain Fragrances.

My Mother died in 1999 and this fragrance is a comfort as I wear it when I am hurting and longing for just one more day with her.

I also agree that the trend for gourmand fragrances has killed many classic works of Art.

If Balmain fragrances are discontinued, I hope and pray that they can be rescued as I still hope and pray that someone will realise what a treasure Rochas fragrances are and save them from extinction.

nikkimouse
nikkimouse

I dont get it, this is so soft, melt in your skin kind of beautiful, feminine. I dont understand the negative comments, but well, guess I'll have to give this more time. Will be back :)

Alright, I may have spoke too soon. I'm not impressed at all. I do like the smell as soon as sprayed, but quickly it turns into oil, or some kind of fried food. AND it's very linear, too light. Which given the fried oil aspect I'm glad.

Very Boring, sorry!

And I agree, it's lovely at first, but soon turns into something very unpleasant on my skin, a kind of barey there unpleasantness. Thankfully it is very linear, I would absolutely hate to walk around smelling like this

I don't know if this is the vintage or reformulated, I'm guessing it HAS to be the reformulated version, This is just like some kind of watered down hot mess

dlane1953
dlane1953

I wanted to try a leathery fragrance and thought this would be a good start. Interesting but very linear on me. The sweetness of the opening is a bit overwhelming. On my skin, this fragrance went from violets to sharp leather with nothing in between.

rubyred
rubyred

Sharp needly green notes quite intrigueingly sweet and bright for about half an hour, after that it shrouds me in a diesoline cloud of stink from which I can't escape even after a hot shower. Occasionally a whisper of dark floral muddied with animal or forest floor, maybe the civet or vetiver. Slightly intrigueing but predominantly dank. I know I don't want to smell like this.

A.M.H.2
A.M.H.2

This reminds me of one of my favorites :> unfortunatley i can't find it listed here :<
It's from Houbigant - Quelques Violettes
I just love this fragrance! And now I stumbled over a new found love! Jolie Madame :>
This has just joined my collection and its a keeper.

stelladoro
stelladoro

I agree with Henriette - the current craze for gourmand and fruits-berries and candy perfumes is beyond me. I suppose they reflect the current zietgiest.

I loved Madame Jolie and never realized it was a leather scent. When I wanted a sweet perfume, I would reach for Madame. She stayed sweet to the drydown and never harsh or overbearing.

Also, I have difficulty understanding why so many fragrances that have no projection are so popular. Are we afraid of offending people? Or are people trying classic fragrances for the first time spraying on as much as they do of the light fragrances just to smell them?

mimi.smell
mimi.smell

Leather, oakmoss, narciss and vetiver - this notes make up the serious part of Jolie Madamme, giving it some masculine character. But between them there are some white flowers and roses, which take the softer part of this fragrance. JM is actually soft leathery scent when dries down. And yes, can easilly be unisex.

To me, this is serious and formal perfume. But still, depends on who and when wears it! Very special scent with much more character than some new fashion perfumes. Good lasting power.

curlykitty8
curlykitty8

I was sp excited to try a sample pf Jolie Madame but I was quickly disappointed by it's almost rubbery aroma. It verged on making me feel sick! But, I still did not lose hope and waited patiently expecting some amazing metamorphosis which would render me speechless. Not so! There was a brief moment when it smelled a bit spicey but that was it. It faded and I was almost glad to see it go!
How sad! I had sooo wanted to wear and love a classic!

I.I
I.I

If you are not used to the 50's and you don't happen to know how heavy they are, this perfume is simply not for you. Don't be carried away by the wood notes, they are not of the same intensity as in Dsquared2 or in some other modern wood fragrances (Purplelips sensual-Dali).
If you work in a small area, you won't be able to wear this there, because it smells heavier than a usual male parfume.
It hasn't the slightest 'femalish' note, in the way that many people percieve it nowadays. It is nor floral, neither leather-ish to me, it is pure wood. Maybe to some other persons it reveals another 'carachter', but all I get is wood.
In case you think it would be good to make an 'investment' in this perfume, bear in mind that it's not the kind of perfume that you can wear with an 'airy' dress. It's the kind of perfume you can wear with formal suits, with leather clothes and probably with a more casual appearance, based on leather jacket and jeans (on a Harley Davidson f.ex).
It may be a nice quality perfume, but in my environment, no one really valued it and the only one who liked it a lot was my husband.
Yesterday I put it on for the last(and 2d) time and my students were looking me with surprise, as I was approaching them. They were wearing after-shaves and I was smelling more masculine than them.
I can imagine a lawer (woman or man actually) wearing this scent, also a woman who runs a business, a gothic girl, a person who loves black clothes.
It won't suit a romantic or girly woman. It's not suitable for me and I don't even like very sweet perfumes (like Pink Sugar for example).

olga1780
olga1780

I have had Jolie Madame for a while and I am still struggling to understand it. It's not unpleasant, but it has this oily note (unlike Bandit's dry leather) that doesn't quite agree with me.
In my case, like the previous reviewer said, I need more confidence to wear it rather than it giving me confidence. I will keep trying.

The Big A
The Big A

My bottle of jolie has just arrived and spray straight away.
I like alot of different perfumes, and have tried way to many and wasted alot of money trying. This one is what i call difficult. I spray it, define as vintage straight away. It smells like an old fragrance your nan would wear.
Strangely comforting though after 10 mins or so. I have been wearing for an hour and am liking it more and more. It is floral to me and then gets more musky/ leathery. It is very different and in a good way, the longer i wear it.
i say difficult as i cant pin point or identify certain smells.
Other than strong florals drying down to floral with leather.
I bought this as i read reviews and it said iris root/ violet etc or something like that! I would describe it at the moment as dirty violet!
Again in a good way! And like nothing i have smelt before.
This is great stuff , nothing like the churned out sweet floraly, musky stuff on the shelfs. Last but not least, its not over powering now its faded a bit, would describe it now as a soft confident fragrance. Not sure if it gives you confidence or you need confidence as its different! Their best musk one though is gris ambre. That is pure class this one not far away from that too.

Henriette
Henriette

I couldn't agree with Bandit more. Yes, feminine today most of the time means smelling like fruit, candies, cookies. I am extremely puzzled when I read that Jolie Madame, Cabochard, Balmain de Balmain are masculine. I could not think of more feminine scents than these. And Piguet's Bandit of course :-)
I have been wearing and loving them through the years and the years have not faded my love for them. Never ever would I wear Mugler's Angel or other gourmand scents. They make me feel dizzy. There are so many scents today that one can certainly find what he or she likes. And I am happy to like and continue liking Jolie Madame. Yes, I am on my way to my first 50, that's why maybe.

Bandit

Balmain's best. Bitchy smoky flowery leather.

Only the vintage, but that's no news for you, I suppose. Vintage in a bottle. Some reviewed it as "masculine" and found themselves confused by it. Let me say: Don't be! That's the vintage point of view on femininty. Habanita, No.5, No.22, Cabochard, Tabac Blond, Nuit de Noel, Arpege etc. are all meant to be worn by women! Jolie Madame is one of the most masculine of them, only outplayed by vintage Cabochard, imho.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind, if todays women think they should smell like a dessert. To each their own, but the smell of a dessert doesn't define me as a woman.

stinkydog
stinkydog

Am baffled by whoever it was who described this as something like herbal tea.. find it lingers as a strongly feminine complex floral, and is intense and earthy near the skin, the equivalent of wearing sexy underwear with under a bland business suit or jeans. And thank you, no kitschy fruit or baked goods to confuse the message. Ivoire,however, is my longtime favorite...

Lady Love
Lady Love

(Vintage Review)

This is my vintage treasure. Back in the day Jolie Madame used to be really stunning.

I’d never smelled anything like this before: A lovely touch of Gardenia and Violet, with a bit of green herbs followed by soft leather notes. It’s utterly fascinating and so well done. This is a high quality perfume.

It is elegant and retro (without being old-fashioned)

A must-have classic!

Dinkum
Dinkum

Bought a bottle unsniffed, thanks to the positive reviews I´ve read. So glad I did!

Opens up with Cowslips??? Ah, well in my nose, anyway?

Then leather, violets (not sweet ones, thankfully). I detect a rubbery note, sounds pretty awful, I admit, but somehow I find it nice.

Hm? I can´t detect the tuberose that easily? Tuberose seems to agree well with my body chemistry, but for me - this far, I can´t wait for the drydown - this lovely Madame offers cowslips/leather/violet and that teeny weeny amount of rubber.

Help!

Is my nose tricking me????
All I can smell nowadays in

Jolie Madame is
Weil Kipling for gents.

Do not get me wrong I love Jolie Madame a lot, but one of my co-sniffer pointed out that the dry down is very masculine, and I have to agree.
(vintage of course)

birdofparadise
birdofparadise

Just received my first bottle of Jolie Madame and I am enraptured. An alluring fragrance of smoky leather and spices drifting sensuously around soft florals. Bewitching with a subtle thrill and sense of something forbidden. Dark nights and not-so-innocent ladies stiletto-heeled stepping out towards the wild side.

imoore

Have a mini, and tha hunt began for an OLD BIG BOTTLE!!!
It is maturity in a vial.

Natalie467
Natalie467

I was never one to appreciate the smell of new leather shoes, coats or what have you, just wasn't my thing. Since I love many of the scents from Balmain and LOVE Montana's Just me, and Robert Piguet's Bandit, I figured I'd give my bottle of Jolie Madam another go. (I'm also in the process of getting to know Cabochard better, more on that later). Jolie is very different from most of my perfumes, like Bandit, I get a sense of green from this. I also detect a bit of sweetness when first applying, must be the pear and a touch of spice. Very sophisticated scent. Once it dries down, it brings me back to when I purchased the black leather biker jacket my parents didn't approve of (which later on became scented with patchouli, mango, musk and sandalwood-my scents at the time) and Jolie smells delightful. She's really growing on me, which is surprising because I really didn't care for it at first. To me it smells sexy in a confident way. My husband turned his nose up at this, too bad.

My bottle is a fairly current EDT and it seems to fade within a few hours even though I spray a lot on. The hunt for a vintage bottle is on!

blueberry
blueberry

Jolie Madame is a very easy going and light floral leather. Due to floral addition it lacks the claw which can be found in Miss Balmain or Cabochard, but thanks to this, it is also very wearable on a day to day basis. The florals are a tad sweet to my taste, therefore for a short while I get the unpleasant impression similar to the one that the terrible fruity chypre Patou For Ever gives me. Luckily, this lasts no longer than a couple of seconds, so I can ignore it and then I get the lovely soft and fresh dry down, the scent keeps close to the skin and does not scream about, although I am still able to smell it on me, which is great. There is a hint of a slightly rubbery aroma, and it may not suit everyone.

It is not my favorite leather (I'm more into the dark and mysterious ones), but overall a good one and I enjoy wearing it to the office or when I am more into elegant style. Definitely worth every penny, because it gives a unique olfactory experience, so rarely found in contemporary fragrances.
UPDATE: I am getting more and more allured by this little gem. What's more, it turns out to be quite long lasting in spring! Still not my favorite leather, but an excellent product!

guest_Frenchie Loveday
guest_Frenchie Loveday

oh dear and I was thinking of buying some of the above, now not so sure....I love Shocking, Arpege,1000, Farouche and L'blue Heure (not to sure of the spelling here) and would love to smell Quadrille (Balenciaga) but sooo expensive... rather fed up with trying other perfumes only to discover they do not suit me...
So all you perfume experts can you point the way forward for me by looking at the ones I alread love?...

dragonesque
dragonesque

After my unsuccessful attempt to make friends with Cabochard, I decided to try a lighter and more floral leather - to approach gradually this olfactory group. And I am glad I did so. Jolie Madame is a jolie-laide, she is not a classical beauty but she is unique and lovable due to her unstarched elegance – easy and natural. She is a lady of character, self-assured without being supercilious. Yes, I understand why perfume critic Tania Sanches chose Jolie Madame as the fragrance she would wear if some ruthless court sentenced her to wear just one scent till the end of her life. This is an all-purpose fragrance, yet with unique character and charm.
As for the notes, leather, iris and violets are definitely the most prominent ones. I am happy that I do not feel civet, which was a lot of pain to me while I was trying to tame Must de Cartier.

sofiii
sofiii

I’m testing Jolie Madame EDT reissue (thanks to Catbiscuit for the lovely sample). Jolie Madame has a really uplifting opening, which is like a cross between Chanel No.19 without the Chanelness plus well-blend, discreet white flowers, and a little bit citrusy hint. I almost loved it, but there’s something hidden there (maybe the Chanelness?) makes me feel it’s not my typical perfume.

Soon it gives off the best cooling powdery smell, which has a iris smell at heart, and it’s so well-blend with other flowers. It smells rich without being too loud; it’s sweet in a vintage, low profile glam floral way (like the floral sweet from Passion by Annick Goutal, but with minimised sweetness).
Then the pseudo-iris(in a nice way) powder smell transforms into something like cool sweet powder on warm skin. Ah ha, that must be the leather! I don’t really like wearing leather scent, but thought Jolie Madame might be the not-too-bold-loud-leather leather I can pull off. However, I tried and the chemistry is just a little bit not that right.

I guess leather lovers will find this one as a more day-time, refined, nice floral leather to wear. However, to someone who always try to avoid leather, this scent is seemingly perfect and seemingly not contain the deadly leather you don’t like, but still makes you feel uneasy in the end with its unchangeable leather/animal/dark nature.

janudy
janudy

I feel like this is Bandit's more girly, responsible sister. The leather is still there, but whereas Bandit was a leather jacket in the bar, getting friendly with the bikers, Jolie Madame is a leather briefcase in the corporate world, rubbing shoulder with CEOs. I think the floral notes come out making it feel softer and more womanly, the rose in particular stands out on me. I smell violets too, as other have noted. Don't get me wrong though, Jolie Madame is restrained, confident, and just a bit ruthless, but she's still a little naughty. Underneath that pencil skirt, she's got her sexy lingerie on.

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

I am currently in a battle of wills with Jolie Madame (EDT reissue). We are circling one another warily, greasy eyeball to greasy eyeball.

As my first full on leather perfume encounter I was initially charmed and delighted with the novelty of a slightly rough leather base for the ladylike florals. It was strange and genteel, like a ladies handbag, filled with 'liberated' floral samples from the botanic garden and handkerchiefs sprinkled with perfume water.

On my second application I found the florals to be heavy, sickly and sulky. The accompanying musty leather made me feel quite sick to my stomach. And yet, I found myself drawn to it, loving its wild nature, while it sat in a corner hissing & spitting at me.

Which brings me to today's testing. Where did this violent leather scrub beast come from? I feel like I have been sandpapered with bark, rubbed down in coriander and whipped with a filthy leather cat 'o' nine tails. Nary a flower in sight to shed tears for my suffering.

Jolie Madame: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

One or the other of us is going to be tamed. I am not entirely certain which of us it will be.

nyoka
nyoka

I love that this is not fruity.How boring they all r today.Its a very interesting scent.One ould think with the leather it vwould b a hard scent yet,its more like dove tail leather,buttery soft kissed by violets.A very girly softball player.A confident WOMAN.Sexy that doesnt scream it at u.It slips up and brushes ur cheek with its lips.Not like other scents,Stand out in the crowd.Timeless.

To my nose, JOLIE MADAME is all about violets and leather, and I do not detect even a smidgeon of civet. Pierre Balmain.com offers these notes for the new JOLIE MADAME:

Notes de Tête
Petitgrain, Girofle, Néroli

Notes de Cœur
Absolue Jasmin, Fleur d’Oranger, Feuille de Violette, Absolue Tubéreuse, Lilas

Notes de Fond
Mousse de Chêne, Essence de Patchouli, Tabac, Cèdre

So it seems that JOLIE MADAME has really changed her demeanor! I like her this way--a lot! She is a smooth powdery quasilinear with tender leather and fine violets. Great sillage--in fact, so great, that I advise against applying JOLIE MADAME immediately before dining, as I once did, and found myself swallowing violets and leather. I really appreciate this fragrance: simple and consistent yet somehow very satisfying. When I crave violets and leather--which as odd as it may sound, I do sometimes now--I know where to turn!

Sissi
Sissi

The Opening starts with i can detect
Lily Rose jasmine neroli and it dries
down to the dark underworld of woods and Leather It's like the Greek Legend
Persephone. when she was the maiden Kore and she picked Sweet crisp flowers
Represent the upperworld Until the ground beneath her Opened up And she was snached and aducted By the master
of the Underworld HADES! Represents The Leatherly Aspect of this Perfume
this is what this perfume reminds me of
Persephone's Decent.

vioversilver
vioversilver

Jolie is tuberose, lots of violets & leather.
At first application lots of citrusy greens which quickly turn into this softer violet smell which instantly reminded me of these simple little hard candies I used to get as a child, they were called 'violettas'- when I would peel back the foil & wax paper this sweet violet smell would come wafting out - the same scent that is in Jolie Madam; due to that olfactory memory, this perfume immediately won me over.
The tuberose smell compliments the earthy, but soft smelling leather , - very much like Cabochard but more soft & fem.
I can so see myself wearing this with a simple form fitting tank top, blue jeans, my Harley Davidson motorcycle boots & my hair loose all around my shoulders, gallavanting around town , window shopping at my leisure.. that said I think this would work even better in warmer weather , at least for my tastes.
Jolie is kind of a tomboy , but with an effortless elegance.

What I have is the EDT , if a EDP is available or even exists, I'd love to have it.

guest_Alice.E.
guest_Alice.E.

strong? leathery? great classic? somptous? elegant?

oh noooo! no waaay, this smells just like a... a lot of tea herbs bulked in an old bag. TEA !!!

nothing sophisticated, elegant, not even a bit chic here. It's just a light scent for a teenager who abhors sweet perfumes.

that's all about it!

guest_Quixy
guest_Quixy

A very unique fragrance - on my skin I can detect a banana note, which blends in smoothly with the leather and florals, like a milkshake, so the fragrance is very pleasant and creamy. Wonderful! This fragrance is good to wear in any season and on any occasion -and is timeless - it's a real pearl and gem in my collection and is my new #1!!!

No it is not similar to Miss Balmain. But both are VERY good perfumes, you can't go wrong with both of them.

Victoria Regia
Victoria Regia

I tested it once and it seemed old-fashioned in a bad, loud, 80's way. I'll stick to the beautiful Kelly Caleche for my occasional floral-leather fix.

magie
magie

I just got my bottle of Jolie Madame the other day and have been wearing it several times. It is not quite what I expected, very soft and feminine and yet complex. It starts out very fresh and energizing. Are there no violets in this? I could swear I smell violets. I think I like the beginning the best, so beautiful and unusual. In a few minutes I can smell the leather and flowers,the gardenia is soft and sweet and the others compliment it well. It smells like an expensive kid leather glove with a floral perfume spilled on it. Sometimes I smell something sour on my skin,maybe the coriander, but it does't last very long and some days I don't smell it at all. The dry down is soft and powdery yet a little soapy. It smells like some expensive french milled soap that I bought for my guest bath,which I love. I do wish it lasted longer. I can't smell it after about 3 hours, but the price is so affordable I can and will buy it often.

hollivomitsyou
hollivomitsyou

Jolie Madame is very feminine and even with the leather, stays light to me. I would compare the start with Insolence. It seems like violets and leather to me. Most perfumes that are soft and feminine tend to seem boring, but Jolie Madame is very different, unique and does not feel at all dated. unfortunately for me, the coriander and my skin don't get along and things go sour. I would be very happy to find something similar without the coriander.

Mals86
Mals86

I've never been much of a leather fan, but I like Jolie Madame very much. My bottle of edt is not the current version (a very attractive, tailored bottle, and one I find more congruent with the scent than the round-shouldered bottle with gilded-plastic top I own), so please bear that in mind while reading this review.

I'm a little puzzled by the notes listed above: no violet? I smell tons of violet. Narcissus, jasmine, iris - they're all there too, along with a restrained leather note that brings to mind my suede-lined leather briefcase. When I wear JM, I get wafts of leather through the air when I move, but close to the skin the florals are sweet and prominent. I like to wear this on days that I need some extra backbone; it's great for helping me muster the strength to deal with unpleasant tasks.

I also own two small bottles of vintage parfum: one has a great deal of leather, and the other, my favorite, is nearly all gorgeous florals, with just a hint of leather. (Of course it would be the tiny 2ml bottle, and not the bigger one!) If I wasn't sure I'd never find its like again, I'd wear that one all the time. It's simply stunning.

gutobega
gutobega

A sophisticated old and beautiful fragrance for women and men. Have a lot of leather all the time.
Really exotic.

Zocha
Zocha

I thought I have to get some classic fragrances to educate myself a bit and that is how Jolie Madame came to my house.
So, made myself ready for the big adventure and, oh boy, the first sniff knocked me down - what is it? I don't get this fragrance!
But hey, I thought Shalimar is not nice at all the first time I tried it.
So I'm learning the scent each time a little and started to like it.
I can distinguish some notes already! after gardenia-citrus blast it gets a bit sweetish of jasmine-orris root.
Rose wave for a while and then leather starts to dominate with some musk and patchouli.
I'm not familiar with leather fragrances and still have to learn a lot, but I like this one already - very special!

a month later:
definitely, an extraordinary fragrance for a big night out, not something you can smell around. Very special.

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

An unusual soft leather scent, Jolie Madame falls somewhere between Bandit and Kelly Caleche, in the mid-range with Cabochard and Habanita. If you find Bandit too stinky or unwearable, Kelly Caleche a bit too sweet and fruity, and Cabochard just not girly enough, then Jolie Madame might strike the perfect balance for you.

Jolie Madame begins with a blast of sweet florals, but dries down to a soft, powdery leather. It's feminine and a bit sexy, but not inapprorpiate for the office if used in moderation. I detect some smiliarities to Molinard's Habanita, but the leather has a larger presence in Jolie Madame and it's a more complex scent. And in spite of all my comparisons to other leather perfumes, it definitely smells unique! Worth sampling if you're exploring leather fragrances.

A lovely floral that dries down old fashioned and cloying on my skin.

Juliette has a gun
Juliette has a gun

Sophisticated, seducing perfume. Following the tradition of Bourjois' "Soir de Paris" - a perfume for a grand night out, beautiful.With leather notes and violet, timeless perfection.

guest_Jan

Carefree, seductive, refined, knowing. Delicious - with no food notes in sight!

guest_Jan

Sumptuous, yet carefree; refined, yet knowing. Lovely Jolie Madame is very seductive yet dignified. A timeless favourite.