Designers » N-Q » Woody « Groups

Miss Balmain Pierre Balmain for women

Miss Balmain Pierre Balmain for women
dislike

leather

Miss Balmain by Pierre Balmain is a Woody fragrance for women. Miss Balmain was launched in 1967. The nose behind this fragrance is Germaine Cellier. Top notes are aldehydes, coriander, gardenia, lemon and green notes; middle notes are carnation, narcissus, orris root, jasmine, rose and lily-of-the-valley; base notes are leather, amber, patchouli, coconut, oakmoss, vetiver and tonka bean.

Aldehydes Coriander Gardenia Lemon Green Notes

Aramis

Miss Balmain Fragrance Reviews

nordhaul
nordhaul

The smell of SUCCESS. A self-made entrepreneuress.
Well loved orphan. Much respected head of household.
She's no heiress; so princesses, first wives, and gold-
diggers steer clear. Self assured, independence, even
sovereignity (from other mortals) will feel like home in
this. No femme fatale, vixen, diva, gothic types either.
This Miss is ALL FEMME & not a drop less. ...Peace...

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

1967 Vintage Germaine Cellier's Miss Balmain

Oh! De London or Y de Yves Saint Laurent with more elaborate detailing and with a warning sign: for women who aren't sissies. This is a green garden where flower children congregate to smell each other just to get high on the fragrance. The 60's was not really that innovative and experimental an era for fragrance as the subsequent 70's. Some 60's fragrances wore like 1950's fragrances or even 30's 40s, strong woods, heavy floral scents, and leather. This fragrance could easily pass for a perfume in the same family as Fracas Bandit Miss Dior and Jolie Madame. Miss Balmain introduces herself with strong aldehydes letting us know she is of the classic formula kind with aldehydes like Chanel No. 5, No. 22, and so forth. Mingling with the aldehydes are freshly squeezed lemons. Immediately, the gardenia, a screaming flower, is detectable. She is followed by green notes which are the leaves of the lily of the valley and bushes of white flowers. There is jasmine, carnation and narcissus. But this is not a simple floral fragrance. There's more of course. A spiciness gets released with the other notes of culinary corinader, vetiver, some orris root and the smokiness of the patchouli. The fragrance lasts forever and dries down to woods, heavy oak and oak moss. There is also leather, musk. It's like two fragrances in one: the aldehyde floral fruity, the day time, the green notes that feel like an herbal tea and then the strong leather outfit that is worn at night. During the day the women who have been smelling each other in the garden and at night are now doing something else LOL They're smoking patchouli. They're high and on the drugs of fragrances. I must say that nothing can create a vision to my nose like a vintage fragrance. I have also smelled and worn the reformulation which is ok, not a replica but not bad either. All they did was add a touch of tonka (which smells like vanilla, but in this case it's very soft) and some coconut. The original of course was an assertive female. And yet at times this fragrance gave me the feeling that it was modest and few women wore it but it provided some influence. It seemed to have inspired scents like Balmain's Ivoire de Balmain the vintage 1980 version, or scents like Aliage by Estee Lauder from 1971. At the time of Miss Balmain's release, more women were probably wearing Y by Yves Saint Laurent Guy Laroche Fidji, Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles, Hermes Caleche and Dana perfumes. This one was an homage to aldehyde floral chypres of the Golden Age and it's divine. I love to wear both the vintage and the new formula.

Militza
Militza

I came upon this classic at a thrift store this afternoon, with our first November rain and cold front. I started the morning with Mitsouko, a rainy cold day go to, and then showered in afternoon as temps were warmer. Then I shopped and found Miss Balmain. I had tried to order the Ivoire from a perfume kiosk in a mall earlier in the year, wondering where is perfume purgatory for these wonderful old fragrances. I grabbed Miss Balmain for under $20.00, while I still wait for news from the perfume people of the other one, and gave explicit promise to pay for the Ivoire whatever insane price it is now. So, color me happy when I found this.
It suits a cooler and wet day because of the oakmoss and leather. I could detect sweet notes of flowers in the second hour, but thankfully the base notes just went center stage quickly. I, too, have grown tired of some of the new frags because everyone wanted in the business, and too many new colognes are sweet and girly. Playful is one thing, but smelling like a Mars bar is not my idea of "deep woman," This scent has a characteristic that matches a thinking woman.
This is a mature woman's scent because of its complexity. Winter demands notes of leather, and homage to the oak god.
Hats off to House of Balmain.

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

I have a lovely little miniature of vintage Miss Balmain, thanks to @yohji, thank you!

I knew this was vintage at first sniff - that unmistakable oakmoss chypre. From the bottle it smells weird at first, and on first application it's odd for a few minutes, but give it a little time and it transforms into a lovely oakmossy, dried-twiggy smoky autumnal sensation!

I don't think that's going too far, sometimes I get a bit carried away with description, but I tested this on my mum who was round for lunch today, and she too was in love with this chypre classic of yesteryear.

I think the top notes might have disappeared as I get very little floral, but it's the base that's special anyway.

Intriguing, witchy yet elegant. It will indeed smell old fashioned or odd if you wear mostly contemporary styles, but as with many vintages, they knock spots off some of the unusual niche perfumes that aim for smoky chypre effects.

Wonderful stuff!

Walking Unicorn
Walking Unicorn

Its been a while but today I took out my vintage Miss Balmain and remembered how much I love this perfume. Compared with today's candied, bubblegum scents this may seem old and very masculine but I find it a classy, feminine fragrance for a confident and independent woman.

To me it doesn't really develop from one thing to another but the various notes are all put together, and stay together, from the beginning to the end. I smell lots of wood, leather, oak moss, carnation and coriander with a background of jasmine, rose, amber for a smooth sweetness, and aldehydes for a light powdery finish. You would think this to be loud and overpowering but it's not. It has a medium silage that I can smell only when I hold up my wrists to my nose. Longevity is very good, today it lasted me a good 12 hours before it started to fade.

I haven't smelled the new version, but I'm sad that the original has changed and will need to look around for deals to stock up.

juji
juji

I just found and bought a tiny 1 1/2" mini in an antique store today! It's full , and still beautiful! The liquid is very dark but seems to have not lost its beauty, the leather coming through just lovely! I don't know how to describe it actually!

Planet_X
Planet_X

Vintage, real Miss Balmain. Classy leathery chypre, a woman who can ride a horse, and next hour sit in a office winning the project of new building investment, come back home and make a great dinner for family, and invite friends forgetting how tired she was or is or should be, who can do all sort of things – from being a stockbroker till growing carrots and roses on her backyard, - effortlessly or so – it seems.

Yes, its an earthy fragrance, she lives a real life, grounded and strong, being very sincere and natural in all aspects of life, just like trees and their roots, she is proud of her ancestors and her descendant will be proud of her. And they will never forget the fragrance she loved most of others – Miss Balmain.

I actually wrote a review about a real woman, who died few years ago and who was very inspirational figure for many others.

weegee
weegee

Such a rich, complex fragrance! Both classic and classy and very much a French creation.

For self-assured, powerful and supremely self-confident women. Should have been named Ms. or Madame Balmain, because no Miss or Mademoiselle has the maturity or gravitas needed to carry off this composition without seeming to be playing dress-up in her mother's wardrobe.

Remove Jolie Madame's powdery violets, punch up the oakmoss, change her soft suede to fine equestrian black leather and elevate her from cast member to the starring role in the bright spotlights with a generous infusion of aldehydes and Jolie Madame becomes Miss Balmain. Nonetheless, they are so very much related I can't imagine anyone who likes/loves JM not liking/loving MB, and vice-versa.

Miss Balmain's initially evident florals seem to greet me at the door and disappear as I walk in and become enveloped by the green, woodsy fragrances of an old country manor house filled with well-worn leather furniture. Yes, green, woodsy, leathery and "old money" aristocratic.

Long-lasting with intimate sillage and, in my opinion a definite "must have" for women who appreciate the finer things in life.

jtd
jtd

Miss B's charm comes from a slapdash composition and that succeeds.  It conveys an honestly straightforward approach, and the result is a charming perfume with character.

Forget any discussions of buttery Italian leather, sophisticated Russian leather, discrete French glove leather.  Miss B is A stiff coat leather with a note of cheap compact-powder florals. Both ranges of notes, the leather and the compact, tell you to take it or leave it.  There's something wonderfully practical about this perfume. It doesn't suggest that you contemplate it in search of meaning, intent or mood. It has that sort of checklist femininity: hair, makeup, purse, dress, shoes. Walk out the house, never give it another thought. For some people this approach could be a a pile-up of mismatches.

For the right person though this approach can read as Just Right, and demonstrate a strong sense of self possession.  Miss Balmain is for a person who likes its dichotomy of notes and is smart enough to recognize it connotes an easy execution of gender more than a belabored performance of it. For the person wearing Miss Balmain, perfume isn't a giveaway of your personality or desires, it's merely a fragrance that s/he likes to wear. Try too read further into it and you'll be barking up the wrong tree.

icekat
icekat

1967… The new, rebellious age of liberation meets the sophisticated, well-dressed glamour of early 60th. The wind of new changes sweeps through all layers of society. The psychedelic, experimental music of the Beatles, the Doors, Pink Floyd and others take the pop-culture to the places where it has never been before. The fashion, style and of course perfumery is caught in this whirlwind of changes and that’s when Pierre Balmain releases Miss Balmain.

Recently I have become a huge fan of Mad Men show, which has its 5th season set in spring of 1967. And as soon as I tried Miss Balmain, I thought that’s what the new Mrs. Draper (portrayed by beautiful Jessica Paré) would wear. A bit rebellious but classy and sophisticated, just like Megan herself who managed to catch an eye of a man like Don Draper.

The scent captures the 1967 era perfectly, but yet it never goes out of style with its beautiful, complex and sophisticated composition. I was impressed by it from the first sniff. The beginning is very chic layer of aldehydes and green galbanum notes with this gorgeous leather scent. Just simply beautiful. The scent has long development arc as it gracefully transitions into the floral bouquet of lily of the valley, jasmine and ylang-ylang well balanced by the woods and leather. Nothing is out of place. I love that the floral bouquet is not overpowering or stinky, which could happen with jasmine, but rather soft and sophisticated mixed with creamy notes of rosewood and sandalwood. The scent becomes even more leathery as it develops towards the dry down, but in the same time, it remains feminine and alluring. The sillage and longevity are both great.

There are scents from the by-gone era that I like to try to travel in time and experience the past, but I would not consider wearing outside of my living room. But not with this one. I love wearing it. It is one of the best leather scents I have ever tried. Overall score 9.5/10

norlyh
norlyh

Miss Balmain is a truly beautiful scent. Smoky, loved to bits, careworn leather, surrounded by a bouquet of florals so well blended no single note dominates. I love the sweetness the coconut gives to offset the smokiness. It is so completely different from modern fragrances and disappointingly so hard to find I could cry about it. It is so sad fragrances are not made like this anymore. I do smell the similarity with Azuree, but Azuree is very much a masculine leather, Miss Balmain is definitely all woman! I love all the vintage Balmain fragrances, they are simply exceptional.

Henriette

What has always made me smile are the girlish pink ribbon, pink box, simple bottle. As if it contained a girly scent!
THIS SCENT IS FOR A WOMAN-WOMAN, a grown up lady, very confident, very smart, very tough, but with a sweet heart, soft forms, warm embracing.
It's one of the few scents I keep buying and buying bottle after bottle, using and using, year after year, and do continue loving despite the 100+ diffent scents I have in my drawer.
A spectacular creation from the past but still very up to date.
You can't miss having this if you are a true scentaholic!

rue_de_la_roux
rue_de_la_roux

Whenever I want to feel like a hussy I wear Miss Balmain. And I mean that in a best possible way. I love Miss Balmain! IMO it's like a throwback to a teased hair, chain-smoking, lotsa lipstick and leather jacket wearing tough floozy.

The leather makes it feel tough and on the masculine side (by today's standards, back in the day scents like this were typical feminine offerings), the carnation gives it an old school feel and the narcissis makes it cheerful enough and kind of keeps it from becoming a too old fashioned scent.

Plrowden
Plrowden

My first spray of the vintage EDT of Miss Balmain was a true eye opener! What a blast! And, I mean that in the best possible way! Aldehydes, leather, carnation, oak moss, and vetiver, OH MY! This has got to be one of the most glorious cyphers! It is bold, it refuses to be categorized it and it's packaging is an oxymoron!

I also detect the amber and the orrisroot in the dry down, which is just glorious. The aldehydes gentle along with the leather and smokiness wafts away, leaving a musky, woody, spicy floral scent that I absolutely love!

Miss Balmain is not for the shy. She is bold, bracing and shouts, no, HOLLERS here I am, like it or lump it!

The sillage is, on me, moderate.
Longevity is spectacularly long.

svetlana.marochko.5
svetlana.marochko.5

I love it. It is one of the best.

valenceis
valenceis

Wow. I LOVE this perfume. I am completely mesmerized by it. Many have called it unisex, which, I understand the inclination. But for me, smelling this on a man, while welcome (by all means bend the assumed gender roles), would be surprising. I find MB to be incredibly bold in reference to modern women's fragrance but also very feminine in reference to true femininity. However, it is apart from the current Western female ideal I assume is the point of reference. To call this masculine to me implies we still live in a world that finds slightly taboo the idea of a woman declaring, defining and asserting her femininity as a human free to roam over all experiential terrain. Also that the rules of perfumery are so binary that vetiver means masculine and gardenia means feminine. That notion is not real enough for me, and apparently wasn't real enough to Germaine Cellier either as it appears she clearly picked up some vetiver notes from sniffing sundry women's underpants.

That being said, MB is challenging to me in it's uniqueness. I have never owned anything quite like it. Beautiful, soothing, strong yet quiet. And I personally love my pink bow. It's so deceiving. If you are planning to blind buy, prepare to be surprised. This is a different kind of "miss". She is fully engaged in the world as a bachelorette. It would take an impressive creature to change that. She's the ruler of her own universe and quite impressive, herself.

Jillmcshaw1
Jillmcshaw1

I recognized this upon first spray! It's the scent that many of my clients wore, as I paid my way through college as a home health aide. I had a grandmother who also wore it. I remember it not as a bottle of perfume but a pink container of powder. It looked so pretty next to the sink, or perched atop a doily on the back of a toilet that I couldn't help smelling it (and then regretting it).

This scent is bold and a little bitchy, she keeps a pack of Capri cigarettes in a leather cigarette case in her billfold, but make no mistake she's a lady.

vintage EDT

Edit-so in summation this smells like leather, cigarettes and some floral talcum powder. Like Cabochard but softer.

alexis_lomakin
alexis_lomakin

...I can easily imagine Germaine Cellier (she was the laziest gal in town) taking perfume formula for Bandit (1944) and slightly tuning down the concentration of some components (e.g. isobutyl quinoline) and adding a few new ingredients. Result: beautiful and less aggressive leathery chypre known as Miss Balmain (1967). I personally like everything about it, except the name and the pink box (sometimes even a cute little bow can be found on the bottle), they are just nonsense! This masculine fragrance has nothing to do with those attributes. Germaine Cellier just couldn't have such an image in head. Jean Cocteau's friend (what a crazy mixture!), aggressive homosexual, she ate tons of garlic at the dinner table, always talked in a crude, low-class manner, smoked like a chimney, when women were expected to be behaving daintily, and was known for bravely stripping undergarments off Robert Piguet's models as they exited the runway and sniffing in an attempt to capture "the best of their femininity"! She went as far as coming to work at ten in the morning and leaving before noon, considering her work for the day accomplished! Would you ever expect from the eccentric butch [although she was beautiful and extremely stylish] some delicate pink flowers, bows, and ruffles?! I don't think so. What was Pierre Balmain thinking while packaging Miss Balmain?!!! Oh wait, ...maybe Miss Balmain is a drag queen?... LOL! Just kidding :-)

nicolastoll
nicolastoll

The name 'Miss' Balmain is misleading: this is an elegant unisex fragrance for confident grown-ups.

Miss Balmain opens with a very strong blast of aldehyde and leather accords and after an hour settles into this beautifully earthy, mossy, enveloping and grounded scent.
Later on the the warm woody character(vetiver), and faint flowery notes is what lingers on the skin.

Every time I reach for this fragrance, it strikes me what a perfectly blended and rounded fragrance this is - contemplative, strong, sophisticated and debonair.
I like to wear this to work and casual meetings, preferably in fall and spring. This scent evolves best in bracing weather and air, that is still cold or breezy or on rainy days.
The bottle, design and the name make Miss Balmain look and seem so unassuming and low-key, but this is a masterful fragrance, composed in the vein of old-school perfumery and style, and yet it is very modern and universal.
Sillage is moderate and perfect for use at the workplace. Longevity for me is about 5-7 hours.
If you like classics like, Arpege (Lanvin), Coco (Chanel), Mitsouko (Guerlain) etc., you should definitely give this a try.

Just not my cup of tea. I like woody/mossy fragrances but although I loved so many notes in this I ended up swapping it away.

I tried and retried this but never got anything more than bitter coriander and wet leather. It's smells quite "cold" to me and I think the difference for me between this and a mossy scent like Mitsouko is that the spice notes are warm.

Very dominating fragrance. I could certainly see this for the right woman 25+, but I think me and coriander will never get along.

akats
akats

The new edt is pretty enough. Mossy, woody, leathery and floral. Yet, compare it to the old stuff, it is weaker and a bit modernized I think. Vintage one, was thick, bitter, increadibly woody, leathery sharp at the beginning as rare old wine. Then, I remember intoxicating narcissus was coming and the composition was lasting many many hours on skin. Modern one, is sublte but still elegant. It's woody character remains but it is toned down. Florals are blured and mixed better together so as nothing seems prominent to my nose. Something is missing.... I don't know what it is but the new Miss Balmain has not that classic twist as it had. It seems to be more wearable now adressing to younger ages as well. I liked it a lot. Maybe I'll add it to my collection.

vaiduakhu
vaiduakhu

This is a review for current EDT in 2012.
I expected to love it but not because of the first 5 minutes.
It would be a dark, alluring beauty without the blast of waxy, sour, dusty and decaying aldehyde at initial stage. I can live in harmony with some aldehyde fragrances but not this one. Luckily, the aldehyde is strong for about first 5 minutes and after 15 minutes you can forget it and from that is a ravishing dance of vetiver blended with lush, yet mellow jonquil & jasmine on the base of condensed moss & earthy patchouli. This is embellished more with the tangy carnation. Thus, the whole composition sounds mysterious, even mischievous like an adventure in an epic forest under the murky, hazy moonlight.

fazalcheema
fazalcheema

got hold of vintage 1 oz parfum..another proof that straight men should wear more of vintage women fragrances...their quality is unrivaled, far above even modern niche fragrances with the exception of Serge Lutens, By Kilian, and very few others

bumbilici
bumbilici

it tickled my imagination before having it. i wasn't quite disappointed smelling it, but it is far, far away from Cabochard, my favourite.it is linear, from beginning to the end, on my skin.nothing surprising, just a good, comfortable smell.i don't think i will buy it again.

Krickard
Krickard

Stunning. I love this. My favorite of the Balmains. It makes an amazing masculine... Just dont be afraid of the pink bow on the bottle.

maria-clara
maria-clara

This scent is not "sweety pink girly" at all, which is what the ribbon and packaging might suggest. Miss Balmain was my first real perfume. I was 15, 16 years old. Before Miss Balmain I bought my perfumes with my own money, that I made as a baby-sitter. I had turned to tiny, angular bottles with perfume oil from India (really cheap, abt 2 Euro's). My favourite was patchouli. (Yes, I was a teenager in the 1970s hippie-era) My father was often abroad for business, always came back with a small present typical of that country, usually candy. One day he came home from France with a bottle of Miss Balmain perfume, telling me that I was becoming a woman now, and in Paris girls my age had their first perfume. I was absolutely smitten by this gift and the idea behind it. I loved the scent too. To me it was like a chique, stylish version of my patchouli-oil. I never stopped using Miss Balmain, and I'm literally still a miss. Lovers yes, husbands no. I'm not sure if the contemporary Miss Balmain has the same formula it used to have. Whatever the case, I still love it. It's not your typical feminine scent, it's even a bit masculine, it's smoky, rich, full, intense. A perfume for women who own themselves.

mimi.smell
mimi.smell

I'm not shure about Miss Balmain: is it a bit vintage or quite modern and very unique perfume? It opens sharp, leathery aldehydic with vetiver and flowers (narciss,rose and carnation), among wich I can smell some lemon. Later it evolves to more soft and a bit powdery floral scent but still the leather and vetiver are there, less aldehydes maybe. It's fresh on top and creamy inside. Very nice and really long lasting!
Colder weather perfume. I found it suitable for daily formal occasions. But I must point out again, the classification of any perfume on "day or night" always depends on my personal mood and the feelings... and Miss Balmain can easily be night perfume as well.

Esscentially299
Esscentially299

This is not what I expected. This was,also, a blind buy...EDT, modern formula.

For some reason, I expected something stronger and more aggressive. Instead, what emerges is ,herbal greenery and freshness softened with white floral, perhaps lilly of the valley. This is a chic, refined woman: there is nothing little girlish about this one despite the name.

After only twenty minutes or so the fragrance shifts:
the freshness and the floral seems to evaporate, leaving behind an herbal leather with surprising staying power. This sudden shift from beginning to drydown seems abrupt to me,like where's the second act in the play?

However, I won't complain because this is a lovely fragrance at a reasonable price, that has that delicious leather note like Azuree, and plays it with subtlety and charm. I think this was a good discovery. I'm looking forward to comparing this to the vintage in the future.

I like this very much.

( Much later in the day...) Miss Balmain just gets better and better. I've taken a shower and applied this fragrance liberally. It is subtle and sophisticated, an herbal-leather smokiness that settles about the body like a comforting warmth, a second skin. It sometimes reminds me of Azuree, and at other times it has a greenness that reminds me of Aromatics Elixer...it is very subtle, balanced,
and refined...and I am very comfortable in this. The longer I wear this the more respect I have for the creator of this lovely perfume. Excellent!

Definitely my cup of tea.

Henriette

The Balmain trilogy would have been: JOLIE MADAME for ladies, BALMAIN DE BALMAIN chic sporty and MISS BALMAIN for young misses. As a matter of fact I find Miss Balmain more "mature" than Jolie Madame. Both are incredibly chic, absolute elegance and charme but I find the charm in Miss Balmain is more refined than the one in Jolie Madame. I use both with the same enthusiasm (I also use and love Balmain de Balmain) but to me Miss Balmain is for more formal occasions than Jolie Madame. This is a case when you face a perfume made with much art, an excellent example of what perfumery used to be and is no longer, alas.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

I have a small spray decant of a vintage version of Miss Balmain. Before spraying, I thought I picked up some lovely leather and woody notes on the vial. However, upon spraying, it starts off extremely strong, sharply aldehydic, and intensely floral.

After a half hour or so the citrus and sharpness goes away, leaving a smooth, abstract floral chypre-type scent. I can smell oakmoss and powder in the base. Oddly, on my skin there is never much of the leather and woody scent that I detected on the sample vial. It’s too bad, because I really would have enjoyed it. However, all in all, this is an excellent old-fashioned floral chypre that’s well made.

It’s a shape-shifter that goes from sharp, citrusy and aldehydic to soft, floral and mossy. I like it, but can’t help wondering what happened to the leather.

mar7eve
mar7eve

I have been searching for this for ages and finally have found it, absolutely love it to bits, bought a bottle years ago through Perfume Connections in Qld and was never able to find it. Thanks to Fragrantica and their never ending list of fragrances I have been able to purchase it. Every time I wear this either day or night I get lots of comments on the aroma. My next mission is to purchase the original Fendi as this is another all time classic, which is becoming extremely difficult to purchase. Another fragrance that I would include in this category is Donna Trussardi for Women (in a frosted bottle) not in the white leather look bottle, and is getting difficult to purchase also, but I managed to get a bottle online and am in heaven once again.

rainbow.owl2
rainbow.owl2

I bought Miss Balmain to try as Fendi Fendi was my all time favourite scent.

It is a wee bit like Fendi Fendi, but Miss Balmain is sharper & thinner. I still have a small bottle of Fendi to compare it with & the Fendi is more golden, fuller and a more 'round' scent, slighly honeyed, in comparison. Miss Balmain is not so long-lasting on my skin, either.

I can also appreciate the comparison to Azuree, but Miss Balmain appears to be lacking the citrus top notes of Azuree. When Azuree dries down the leather is drier and a stronger note, but the dry down of Miss B is less leathery and more floral.

Having said that, Miss Balmain is a delightful foral leather scent that smells far more expensive than it is. The bottle is charmingly retro & I'm glad I bought it.

I love leather scents and there's a spot on my shelf for all three!

passionata20
passionata20

24. may 2011

Surprisingly good! I didn´t expect that such a vintage fragrance can be soo good! Very nice composition of what i call a lady-like fragrance (not in a matter of age, but behaving). Rose, carnation, coconut, leather- they are all present here and the opening is one of the most beautiful i have sniffed ever!
I could never appreciate it until lately since the whole Balmain range has never been sold in the country i live, so it is only possible to order it online or buy it abroad, so i am a "virgin" if it comes to "balmain" fragrances :)) . And i am glad i did, because it is a real gem and very well balanced indeed. A good alternative to the Chanel "Chance" and "Coco mademoiselle" addictions in my country. It smells so refined, full-bodied and rich i just can´t believe that i have missed it for soooo long time.
I guess i have the older version of "Miss balmain" since it doesn´t look like the ones on the pictures, but with a black label and black lid. But i definitly want to try the new one also.
Absolutly worth trying and buying!!!

empressevie

UPDATE:

OK, it's official. I thought I was imagining it..
I had to share my new love, Miss Balmain, with two old, dear friends.. .think most of my lifetime friends. So I sprayed it generously on them...and they both said, 'but this smells so like what you used to always wear.'

SO. I'm not mad. This supremo out-Fendi's Fendi. It is stronger, lasts longer, and has that amazing, inviting and tempting combo of oriental sweet with spice and smoke and warmth....
When I wear it, I feel good enough to eat.

I am definitely in heaven, as my quest for a Fendi substitute has been met with a master fume. Thank you, God.

I've just ordered two more bottles, because I AM NOT EVER RUNNING OUT OF THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

empressevie

Money. Lots of it, and it's old money. And life is carefree, life is filled with fun. I walk into any room and my elan captures the eyes, ears and adulation of everyone.

That, definitely, was what hit me the minute I sprayed on this perfume designed by an artist from heaven. Don't ask me to work out the notes, or the middle phase, or the dry down. The energy is sweet/sour, aldehyde and leather, and the mix is pure divinity. I think of Catherine Deneuve....elegant stunning,alluring, but in the most ladylike way.

Funny, it also takes me back to a perfume made by an iconic Australian designer from the 60's, Prue Acton. I have tried and tried to find a bottle of her perfume, but this is so reminiscent of it. And that takes me to another time, place and picture for Miss Balmain.

Sydney. Hot nights. The late 60'/early 70's. Glamorous, false eyelashed and micro skirted, liberated girls. And nightclubs where everyone smoked, and drank black russians, and everything was new and reborn, because this was the new age and we were it's people. And this was our smell....

Vibrant, earthy, gentle sweet. It reeks of luscious, but refined femaleness.

I want to drink it!! Heaven!!

I'm ordering in more bottles, because I can't get enough....

geegee
geegee

I have waited a long time to find & buy the vintage version of this juice & i finally found it on ebay at a bargain price. I was desperate to have a juice from my year of birth.

This has not failed my expectations at all. The opening is massive & gives a big fat wallop to your senses. Just as Ivoire de Balmain does & both Estee Lauder Youth Dews. Its definately the citrus notes that pack the initial punch along with the jasmine sweetness.

After 10 minutes the blast of citrus disperses allowing the vetiver to the forefront, vetiver never leaves but stays hugging your skin through to the end.

I only have to wait 30 minutes for the real depth of this beauty to reach my nose. Amber, musk, rose & carnation are the top players on my skin alongside vetiver.

This juice dries down warm & soft with enough flowers to make it feminine but its true depth is musky & woody.

Im delighted i love this fragrance & hopefully will have it as my signature some day. It has been worth the wait & was a major succesful blind buy.

Im eager to try the updated version to see how they compare.

viewdemonde
viewdemonde

One of the most magnificent perfumes, next to "Jolie Madame."

nature nut
nature nut

I've never met a bottle of Balmain that I didn't love but this one took me longer than the rest. I have a vintage EdT in the round-shouldered bottle and for months I'd sample it and back off. Its opening is sharp, pointed, almost confrontational.

Finally I decided to try to meet Miss Balmain halfway and discovered that when the intense top notes begin to settle into the middle notes the whole composition relaxes considerably. It becomes the sort of chypre I'm always lusting after.

There's a note all the way though that kept puzzling me. My sense of smell is sort of blunt, I'm afraid; I can't separate notes like many of you can. But there's something in Miss B so familiar if only I could put my finger on it. I searched for ingredients in the old formulations and found thujone. Aha, of corse, now it made sense.

Thujone is the sharp-smelling compound in mugwort, yarrow, tansy, chamomile and it's probably what repels moths in cedar. But our human noses have a positive reaction to these plants once they're accustomed to thujone's stridency---ergo, Miss Balmain takes a few minutes of getting used to. Once on familiar terms, MB becomes a good old-fashioned chypre that smells like it costs more money than it does. You know, the common denominator in all Balmain perfumes.

nyoka
nyoka

MISS BALMAIN is the recipe for wonderous fume! It goes on and gets ur attention with the floral nuances.THere is a kiss of spice.BUt the holy grail of this fume is the wonderful woody dry down.One feels as if they r walking down a country lane in the fall.The leaves r turning colors and somewhere,someone has a fire.THe smokiness only adds to the florals which have broken into their last bloom and the deep woodiness of the trees.A gentle cool wind blows reminding u of the promise of winter.U hug ur sweater closer and smile.

Aalia
Aalia

I found this scent to be incredibly similar to Azuree by Estee Launder. Miss Balmain is woody, dry, resinous, sharp...comparing to Azuree-wich my brain cannot stop doing-Miss Balmain flies out of the nozzle and presents in the beginning - to be much woodier- it´s also a softer woody feeling than Azuree-it´s also dryer-so much dryer-I desperately wanted a humidifier after the first spray! Miss Balmain´s leather is much softer, not so in-your-face. Sometimes Miss Balmain exhibits a gentle powdery scent, as Azuree would never do. Miss Balmain is never sweet. At moments, Azuree does shout out some kind of deep sugary notes. Miss Balmain doesn´t last the 5 days as Azuree does.
So, that´s my review. While sniffing Miss Balmain, I could not stop thinking of Azuree. All in All, I prefer my Azuree. If you hate Azuree, because it´s so pungent-maybe try Miss Balmain?

Sissi
Sissi

If you like contrast or to compare Leather Scents
Gres Cabochard and Miss Balmain are perfect examples Miss Balmain is Prim
fruity sweet bright naive lively a Good
Girl scent Feminine and Represents
Daytime. Cabochard is dark rebelious
masculine mysterious woody sexual
vampish bad girl smokey tabacco
and represent the Night.

this is a nice scent but does not grab me like Cabochard. i think there is too much Coconut mixed with Leather is a
bad idea but whould'nt buy it again.

sky76sky
sky76sky

"Miss Balmain 1967 - the new perfume for one who is young, beautiful & blasée". Thanks to Doctormod I sat down to sample Miss Balmain with my 99yr old granny.

For me it brought back memories of being very small & staying round at my (other) grandmother's house. The house was old: wood-panelled, leather seated chairs with brass studs, the grandfather clock ticking loudly cutting through the heavy still air tinged with furniture polish, & dried flowers.

It was bathtime & the steam rose from the big enamalled tub & mingled with her perfumes, powder puffs & potions. A jug of daffodils stood in the corner, enveloped by the ozonic cloud. The bath salts were girly, rose-pink cubes - a confusing body for something that was so herbal, mossy, stripping & dry! The overall fragrance was never sweet but clean, herbal, mature, & as fierce as nature herself....like the calm before a storm in a tall, silent forest.

My granny felt that it was similar to Bandit - a gentle, young Bandit without the balls, bite & stubborn nature (I'm paraphrasing a bit there!).

The aldehydes did not irritate & the feisty chypre nature was as refreshing to sample as my mum's beloved vintage O de Lancome on a hot day - what a break from all the sweet-nothings out there! For someone who loves orientals I am equally delighted by a fierce, dry retro-chypre. Moss-magic!

blueberry
blueberry

This is a wonderful scent, very mature and strong, yet not overwhelming. The lasting power is excellent, extremely good value for money. I detect leather, something smoky, wild and intoxicating. I feel very feminine in it, but strong and self-confident at the same time, this is an ego-booster... It is a warm and extremely sensual perfume, with a twist.Perfect for all occasions except for summer and office usage.

Kterhark
Kterhark

I put this on and after 30 minutes had three things come to mind: Aquanet, ouch, and No.

Now why don't aldehydes like me? It's like walking into a hair salon as a wedding party of 10 is getting their hair set.

Underneath it all I can detect my favorite notes, like narcissus, rose, Orris root and oakmoss, which is very delicate and smooth here. But because of the strong aldehydes it's like listening to opera in a crowded bowling alley.

I really shouldn't say this, becuase this scent is a little older than I am, but I also find it ...hush....a bit dated. Balmain, the original, sits better wiht me.

A good scent to try, however, If you don't have the same reaction to the top notes.

rithacha
rithacha

What an expensive-smelling scent! If old money had a smell, Miss Balmain is it. It reminds me of gold heirlooms, the silver buckles on a buttery leather harness, expanses of sweet manicured woods surrounding the estate. Enter a young woman with a pertly upturned nose and pouty lips, riding cloths smartly tailored, leading a thorough-bred about its paces.

Miss Balmain isn't a sheltered lady - she's just accustomed to the finer things in life and extremely demanding, bordering on severe. The green coriander in the opening does not relent as it progresses to dry mossy patchouli-vetiver. The blow of the hard crack of leather is softened by powdery orris root. I smell a smidgeon of rose, but the florals are barely detectable under the handsome woodsy-leather.

Despite the "miss" in the name, I would not recommend for teenagers. Like reviewers below mentioned, it is a masculine and assertive fragrance. Miss Balmain demands that her wearer be upkept, arrogant, elegant, and ballsy.

scentofawoman
scentofawoman

I bought it for my mother and we were both disappointed. I remember her wearing it when I was about 11 or 12( I am now 53) but I don't care for it now, nor does she. willing to sell it for 10 plus shipping if anyone is interested. Maybe Jolie Madame is the one we liked.

Miss Balmain strikes me as an oxymoron. Or does Miss Balmain spend her days on a saddle riding through the woods? For that is the true identity of this unexpected perfume, whose presentation was quite deceiving. Rather than pretty, sweet, or flowery, Miss Balmain is dry wood and fresh leather mingled together in a standoffish way, as if to proclaim: "I don't give a damn what you think." Reminds me of CABOCHARD, perhaps because so few perfumes contain significant leather notes that they leap out at me, like a lasso!

Leathery, dry woody fragrances have their place, of course. I like them on certain days, reminiscing about riding on noble steeds over majestic Rocky Mountain peaks... Alone.

CaraMia
CaraMia

Miss Balmain is one of my great favorites, perfect for an evening of theater, a lunch in a fun cafe or an elegant party. Versatile with its big bouquet and leather chypre underpinnings, I can see this one going just about anyplace with elan.

I can imagine a conversation between Pierre Balmain and Germaine Cellier going something like this: "Madame, take this marvelous Bandit of yours, apprehend her and dress her in silks!"
I'm not sure if Bandit came before Miss Balmain but they are sisters at heart, Miss Balmain is the more floral, less untamed version.

Gorgeous!

amelie
amelie

Unique perfume with a strong character, Miss Balmain in the title has nothing in common with this unique composition. Bottle is cute, but color is unusual, do not expect tender tones! Leather, moss and vetiver in the starring role make this fragrance so original, and it's definitely not a tender feminine fragrance.This is a sharp fragrance that wears women with style.

Gosh
Gosh

I bought this one mainly for educational purposes and because it was really affordable. I only tested it once and I really don't understand this scent, nor can I smell the leather. All I can smell is dry flowery dust, maybe tobacco as well. It isn't disgusting, but not very pleasant either.
I can't recommend buying this without sampling :) I'm still not giving up on Miss Balmain, I will try to test it again, maybe in colder weather.

EDIT:
Actually colder weather was not necessary. It seems I just needed some time and perspective. I have to admit I had a little help with this - from Miss Dior. I really had to smell Miss Dior first to be able to appreciate Miss Balmain. Miss Dior is much lighter, MB is really rich and dense. Anyway I love them both.

hollivomitsyou
hollivomitsyou

woman coming through get out of the way perfume. it feels so sexy and lush in a dominating skanky way. i know that aldehydes turn a lot of people off or bring on the dreaded "grandma perfume" remark, but there is nothing like that note. not to mention that any grandma wearing this had to have been a rock star in her day. this is a beautiful, strong smell.

straige
straige

Soft, dry, powdery, flowery leather. Nice odour!

Kittycat63
Kittycat63

I had the same experience as Scent Lover. I've seen this in my local TK Maxx store (which is called TJ Maxx in America!) and they had this in the perfume section at a very reasonable price and I was tempted to buy it but didn't know anything about it or what it smelled like so I resisted the temptation because I thought it might smell disgusting! The reviews on here though are very good though so I wish I had bought it! Hopefully next time I'm in TK Maxx I might get a bottle.

Scent lover
Scent lover

Gosh.. I saw some in TK Max down here in Europe and thought couple of times to get it but I couldnt find any proper reviews online and I didnt want to buy it out of the blue. Now I am reading your comments and thinking that I should have got it cause it sounds nice :(

sanziana29
sanziana29

Just wonderful, but, unfortunately, I can not find it anymore!

Miss Balmain by Pierre Balmain 3.99 out of 5 based on 273 ratings and 55 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Pierre Balmain Miss Balmain fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Pierre Balmain Miss Balmain, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Miss Balmain by Pierre Balmain. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Miss Balmain by Pierre Balmain represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.