Designers » N-Q » Chypre Floral « Groups

Choc de Cardin Pierre Cardin for women

Choc de Cardin Pierre Cardin for women
dislike

Choc de Cardin by Pierre Cardin is a Chypre Floral fragrance for women. Choc de Cardin was launched in 1981. The nose behind this fragrance is Francoise Caron. Top notes are aldehydes, green notes, peach, basil, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are honey, orris root, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley and rose; base notes are sandalwood, amber, patchouli, musk, civet and oakmoss.

Aldehydes Green Notes Peach Basil Bergamot Lemon

Honey Orris Root Jasmine Lily-of-the-Valley Rose

Sandalwood Amber Patchouli Musk Civet Oakmoss

Jasper Conran Her

Choc de Cardin Fragrance Reviews

grayspoole
grayspoole

Just when I am sure I don't need another vintage chypre, I try Choc and I realize that there will always be another exploration of this genre that I will be happy to add to my collection. My bottle is the EDP, just like the one in the main photo. Choc is an extremely well executed chypre, and it suggests to me that I should now make a point of trying other perfumes composed by Francoise Caron. The opening is a fresh and invigorating splash of citrus and bergamot, but it is not too sharp or an extreme "choc" to the nose. It develops into a complex scent, in which I get a touch of rose and other flowers (but this is definitely not a rose chypre) but mostly green and herbal notes. I do not really perceive any civet or musks, but perhaps they serve as foundation that I am not noticing since I do not object to stronger animalic notes. No powder, either, if we take that to mean soapiness or dryness. Choc really distinguishes itself in its big finish...a super long drydown of absolutely wonderful oakmoss and sandalwood. In this phase, hours after application, Choc is truly unique.

migueldematos
migueldematos

You can still buy it very cheap in Paris at the supermarket. It's a reformulation, but it's basically the same fragrance, only lighter, which can be good. I have the vintage and I think I will also buy the current one. The new one is like a nice flanker for summer days.

Loifeel
Loifeel

I have only one word: GREAT, thanks to all my friend, this is a great gem from the past of perfumery.
9,5/10 (Choc is really a Shock)!:-)

julado
julado

I thought I had owned this years ago..might be wrong..it was all the rage back in the early 80's. Won mine on E-bay. Reminds me of Imperial Leather soap...I would say a good everyday perfume...nothing outstanding :)

blacktaffeta
blacktaffeta

Well, I commend Cardin for making something so unusual. But as with many people here I find Choc to be too extraordinary to understand. In fact I actually went so far as to get another bottle (this was a few years ago and it was extremely cheap) because I thought my first one must have turned. It hadn't though - it IS supposed to smell like that.

It does amuse me to think of English-speakers expecting a lovely warm vanilla-ish chocolate fragrance and then getting this :). A subtle little French joke perhaps?

I appreciate Natalie's review above - oakmoss eh? Like her I am a big oakmoss fan but as with patchouli I suppose you can have too much.

Unfotunately I don't care for Rose Cardin either so perhaps this house is just not for me. Pity.

EDIT - a couple of months later I appear to have completely changed my mind. I gave this one final spritz before consigning it to ebay and erm - I love it. Now it's refreshing, lemony, but with a subtle chypre background that keeps me sniffing my arm over and over again.

It's a hot day, so perhaps this works best as a summer fragrance? Perhaps the bottle has mysteriously matured over the last few weeks? Perhaps I was just wrong before? ...

Peachply
Peachply

To see this just brought me back to a different time, I loved this I remember it packed a fresh punch! Very vibrant and festive...energizing
I remember it being green, crisp and almost warm and earthy. Very interesting mix.

"Choc" Fan
"Choc" Fan

Dear Ailishu and/or anyone else who can help please,

You mentioned that Choc was available in a "popular supermarket in France". Can you please advise the name of the supermarket so I can ask friends to buy for me. I have been looking for the perfume for many many years! Unfortunately it is not possible to buy from sites such as Amazon as they won't ship to many overseas countries. Thanking you in anticipation!

lolitajade
lolitajade

Was bought this as a teenager in the eighties. Smells like gone off perfume. Yuk

ailishlu
ailishlu

You can buy it in a popular supermarket in France. It´s very cheap. When I saw it I wanted to buy it instantly, but somehow it smelled different on the back of my hand. Still I had been testing all the other perfumes at the time. I remember having this a long time ago and that it smelled very unusual, which is what attracted me to it. I think I´m going to give it another try, because it really isn´t expensive.

lalune
lalune

I have worn this for years since Pierre brought it out and love but people's skin tones all differ for example Dior and Chanel perfumes apart from cristalle smell like cats pee on me

I hate when people teashily put down a perfume they don't like. It make me feel sick to hear how there skin reacts to perfume ie the lady with oak moss. It's as bad a writing a review for perfumes where I react. But people are ignorant and can't just say it didn't suit them or they didn't like. I wonder do they do that for thousands of other perfumes. Get a life and move on

Me I absolutely adore Choc de Cardin I wear perfume of that I'll
Cristalle by Chanel
L'air du temps by Nina Ricci
Rice Gauche by YSL
And Choc is that light floral but slightly musky smell I adore

My question is, as I am running out of it now, ok you can buy at Pierre Cardin in France but how??

smellsogood
smellsogood

I have to update my review below. Worn in the summer this is so much better, more like a lite version of Bandit, which may sound a bit OTT for hot weather but it works.

yvonnes
yvonnes

This was my first proper perfume which I got for my 15th birthday. Loved it at the time although it was a bit odd and different - it's a low key, subtle and cool perfume. You can still buy it in the Pierre Cardin shop in Paris. I nearly bought it again but decided I didn't like it enough to buy a big bottle

lillybee
lillybee

Choc actually menas 'shock' in French so don't confuse it with choc as in chocolate. Would be interested to test this given the polarity in the reviews.

Natalie467
Natalie467

This is the most bizarre perfume I've ever smelled. Although it's not listed in the notes, I swear I smell cumin. Not good.

Edited to add: the odd smell in this is oakmoss, this is the mossiest perfume I've even smelled. I make soap (or should say I used to, haven't made any in a while) and had a bottle of oakmoss fragrance oil, never used. I took a whiff of it and after making a face and taking a few steps back, I knew why Choc smelled so weird. It's not a totally horrible smell but definitely needs to be mixed with other scents, no way would I use the oakmoss FO alone for anything. And I am a moss lover, I go out of my way to get pre-reformulation perfumes. By itself oakmoss is nearly putrid smelling, it almost stings your nose and smells kind of like vinegar, not very pleasant. But once mixed with other FO's it isn't bad, only a little, it's very strong.

lapurrla
lapurrla

Label said "Choc". Sounded inviting. Wasn't.

Sorry in advance, but yes, the smell on my arm really was a "SHOCK". Geddit? Spelt "Choc" but pronounced "shock".

Couldn't scrub it off. Can't explain the horror.

pavelc
pavelc

Can't really remember what this smelt of vague memories, I had a huge bottle bought for me by an old boyfriend, so must have liked itat some time!

guest_jovar
guest_jovar

ريحته تجنن حلوه مره لو تحبون اوسوفاج لديور او تحبون ديورلا لديور كمان وتحبون راويح قبرصيه حامضه راح يناسبكم

guest_veronica
guest_veronica

hola quiero saber donde puedo conseguir el perfume choc de cardin el de la caja negra con el circulo violeta no otro. por favor si me pueden responder porque lo quiero comprar. gracias

guest_anaevenegas@gmail.com
guest_anaevenegas@gmail.com

Dear friends,
I'm very happy to know Choc is still made. So I want to know if I can buy in Spain or if someone would send it me . Definitly, where can I by Choc?
It was longtime whe I used it, them I couldn't fine it anymore, but even now I think in it, its smell brougth me to exotic places, for me it was a plesure.
Best regards.
Ana E:Venegas

efm
efm

I had the perfume years ago and remember a strong note of ginger and warm spices. I loved it. It was a change from the big orientals and huge florals that were popular at the time.

I thought it had been discontinued. Would love to know if still available. Any suggestions as to similar perfumes ?

Choc de Cardin by Pierre Cardin 3.97 out of 5 based on 67 ratings and 20 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Pierre Cardin Choc de Cardin fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Pierre Cardin Choc de Cardin, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Choc de Cardin by Pierre Cardin. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Choc de Cardin by Pierre Cardin represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.