Designers » N-Q » Chypre Floral « Groups

Paradoxe Pierre Cardin for women
dislike

leather
smoky
Paradoxe Pierre Cardin for women Pictures Paradoxe Pierre Cardin for women Pictures Paradoxe Pierre Cardin for women Pictures

Pierre Cardin Paradoxe is an elegant chypre - leathery fragrance for women launched in 1983. The composition opens with notes of lemon, mandarin and bergamot. The heart is composed of jasmine, ylang-ylang, iris, tuberose and hyacinth, placed on the basis of incense, musk, leather, pepper, moss and amber. Perfume bottle is designed by Serge Mansau. Available as EDP.

Bergamot Amalfi Lemon Mandarin Orange

iris Jasmine Hyacinth Ylang-Ylang Tuberose

Musk oak moss Amber Incense Leather Pepper

Paradoxe Fragrance Reviews

Scentmad
Scentmad

Bitter-sweet incence, it's really lovely. I had some back in the day and completely forgot about it. I recently bought a bottle of the pure perfume and was immediately transported back in time. It's a well balanced fragrance - it's not "the one" I am pretty sure that search will go on until the end of my time - but it is very good. I love leather perfumes and this is pretty leathery but not in the same way that Caron's Tabac Blonde is (which IMHO is the best leather fragrance ever (vintage of course)). I am pleased to have it in my collection and think it's a nice intro to leather frags. The bitter note is countered by the sweetness and there is a perfect balance between sharp/sweet/spicy.

millascent
millascent

Paradoxe de Cardin, 1983 eau de parfum version. First off, Paradoxe does not remind me of anything 1980s... Actually this bewitching leather chypre reminds me a bit of Bandit, though I find Paradoxe to be slightly more tender. The smoke and incense side of Paradoxe seems very subtle while the lemon and pepper notes are surprisingly bold. My lips actually tingled and felt hot when I first sniffed my wrist! With such strong initial character, its hard to pay attention to the softer notes at first. But over time the "yellow florals", kitteny musk, sweetish amber and cooling moss transform this beast into something of a Modern beauty- hard on the outside, with a hidden inner softness and underlying complexity. An unusual perfume that stayed under the radar and disappeared. Worth smelling if you get the chance, and the original bottle(the design with the frosted glass disc and the odd two-tone cap) looks terrific on display.

I agree with LittleRed in that this is not a feminine version of The Knize Ten or anything like that. Nor do I detect anything more than a hint of incense. And I agree with those who say it is unisex, as there are no strong florals or anything like that. If you want an "old school" leather that has been 100% tamed, this is one to consider. I bought one new and it was in the box. All the information suggests this is vintage, probably from the 80s ("new old stock"), so the top notes may have degraded substantially. Very nice if this is what you're seeking !

UPDATE: Two plus hours in and I'm getting a kind of smoldering, bitter, peppery, leathery incense. It's subtle but it's nicely done, and totally natural smelling. If the present formulation of Yatagan is too harsh, "synthetic," or strong, but you like the idea, the drydown of Paradoxe might be what you're seeking.

KajiraSuzanne
KajiraSuzanne

Back in the early 1990's, my Mom and I went "halfsies" on a designer miniature perfume sampler box, sold on one of the television shopping channels. I don't really remember much about the other scents, but I do remember Paradoxe. As soon as I opened the bottle, I told Mom, "This one is MINE!".
The reason? Well, to me it smelled almost exactly like the way I imagined the perfume O is ordered to wear, in the classic erotic novel "The Story of O", must have smelled like. It is dry, mossy, musky (but not too much) and has one of the best leather notes I have ever smelled in a woman's fragrance.
When I ran out I was so sad because this is an expensive scent.
Since Paradoxe was launched in 1983, it could not have been the inspiration for O's scent, but I wonder if someone at Cardin was a fan of that novel.

LittleRed
LittleRed

I didn't know what to expect with this one. To be honest, I didn't anticipate something so nicely blended and easy to wear. I expected more of an eighties heavy hitter. It is noticeable but not overpowering in this way.

The dominant note is leather from beginning to end with a bit of citrus to start, and the incense and florals adding some sweet softness and femininity. Quite a nice blend and well-made. You must love leather to wear this.

olga1780

Paradoxe is for true leather lovers. at first it reminded me a lot of Balmain's Jolie Madame, but only for a few minutes. Paradoxe is much smoother and subtler, with leather and tuberose as the most prominet notes. Although it's quite noticeable, it's not one of those in your face dragrances. Probably worn best in colder weather and with formal attire. I see some similarites in character with Miss Dior and Joy as well.

knit_at_nite
knit_at_nite

Paradoxe is a striking leathery chypre EDP with total unisex possibilities due to it hard edged 80's powerhouse feel. Very well blended, too. The notes listed feel accurrate and the overall effect is intoxicating if smelled from 5-6 inches away, but is way too intense when the nose is stuck right up in it and inhaled
My vintage sample's top notes desintigrated quite quickly, but the heart and basenotes went on for many hours.
Definately check this out if you like the dark chypre leather vibe.

olga1780

Looks like I will be the first one reviewing it as soon as it arrrives.

Paradoxe by Pierre Cardin 4.09 out of 5 based on 23 ratings and 8 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Pierre Cardin Paradoxe fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Pierre Cardin Paradoxe, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Paradoxe by Pierre Cardin. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Paradoxe by Pierre Cardin represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.