Designers » N-Q » Floral Woody Musk « Groups

Golden Autumn Prince Matchabelli for women

Golden Autumn Prince Matchabelli for women
dislike

Golden Autumn by Prince Matchabelli is a Floral Woody Musk fragrance for women. Golden Autumn was launched in 1948. The fragrance features green notes, moss, woody notes, floral notes and musk.

Green Notes Moss Woody Notes Floral Notes Musk

Bond Street

Golden Autumn Fragrance Reviews

alahoop
alahoop

The first time I tried this, I wasn't sure about it. Like another reviewer, I had trouble getting past the opening notes. I got caught up in what my daughter called "toilet cake", because I really couldn't disagree.

But, I decided to give it another try, and I think I'm a fan. Lots of aldehydes in the beginning, which I love, but then then I get a tarry smell, and after that, it goes "toilet cake". I'm not sure what causes that, but it really has a cheap floral air freshener smell for a bit! Once I pass that, it's lovely. Woody and leafy, though I don't get much powder, with a background of amber and oakmoss. The drydown smells of patchouli and musk. Very dry and bitter throughout, as another reviewer noted. Decent sillage, and it lasts from morning until night.

When my five year old hugged me before bed, she said "what is that beautiful smell?" so I guess it's a keeper!

migueldematos
migueldematos

To me this is an acquired taste. I received a 90ml vintage rubber coated black bottle, almost full, as a gift. At first I thought it was horrible. Too mossy with lots of pine and too much oak moss. It smelled like damp forest and mud. However, unexpectedly, some days ago I got back to it and put it again on my skin. The initial burst of harsh aldehydes, oak moss and pine blew me again negatively but all of a sudden it turned ambery, woody and very pleasant. I wore it for three days in a row (a rare thing) and it seems I finally started to love it. The drydown is a very mild and pleasant musk and there's an earthy softness along the way that is really original. I have never smelled anything like this before. It's just the initial notes that put me off. But well, a minute of pain and then hours of pleasure.

cookie1946
cookie1946

I too loved this fragrance. I fear ordering such a vintage bottle would not smell the same. I'd love to find a similar fragrance that is available to purchase in stores.

krmarich
krmarich

After years of looking for a reasonably priced bottle, I found one from the late 1960s with a black rubber coating. It has an orange oak leaf on it. What a flawless presentation!

I have a lovely history with this classic. My mother always wore this when she took me trick or treating in the 1960s. It was also her favorite to wear at Thanksgiving dinners until about 1984 when it disappeared from her wardrobe. That's the kind of warm and fuzzy memories it involves for me.

Flash ahead to today. I cannot imagine paying $70. for a vintage, yet that's what they are going for on e-bay. Crown bottles are even pricier. Prince Matchabelli was in every drug store in North America. They were an affordable luxury that simply vanished.

I gave a spray. Big, giant aldehydes grab my attention. I am talking the hairspray kind that takes your breath away. I thought something had gone off at first. After a few minutes, Golden Autumn came back in my life. I can hear leaves rustling in the wind...

Rich, dark amber and OAKMOSS allow the gentle floral notes to peek through. Lots of red carnation, a little rose and jasmine sit on some spicy note. Maybe a little lilac and iris for its powder quality? There is some vetiver and patchouli to convey the woodsy-leafy effect. There is some light sandalwood/vanlla, more amber, musk, cedar and some pine-like smokiness tucked in here. Its dry and somewhat bitter, as if the frost had hit the ingredients.

Oh, I must say this is very vintage in character. It was produced when telephones and televisions still had dials. Young noses would run from this or perhaps fall off altogether. It reminds me of vintage Arpege or My Sin, that were also popular in the 1960s. They are pretty much museum pieces today, no less elegant beauties from a bygone era!

Golden Autumn by Prince Matchabelli 4.62 out of 5 based on 13 ratings and 4 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Prince Matchabelli Golden Autumn fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Prince Matchabelli Golden Autumn, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Golden Autumn by Prince Matchabelli. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Golden Autumn by Prince Matchabelli represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.