Designers » N-Q » Floral « Groups

Wind Song Prince Matchabelli for women
dislike

Wind Song Prince Matchabelli for women Videos
Wind Song Prince Matchabelli for women Pictures

Wind Song by Prince Matchabelli is a Floral fragrance for women. Wind Song was launched in 1953. Top notes are coriander, orange leaf, mandarin orange, tarragon, neroli, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are cloves, carnation, orris root, jasmine, ylang-ylang, rose and brazilian rosewood; base notes are sandalwood, amber, musk, benzoin, vetiver and cedar.

Coriander Orange Leaf Mandarin Orange Tarragon Neroli Bergamot Lemon

Cloves Carnation Orris Root Jasmine Ylang-Ylang Rose Brazilian Rosewood

Sandalwood Amber Musk Benzoin Vetiver Cedar

L'Air du Temps

Wind Song Fragrance Reviews

gracenote-floralspice
gracenote-floralspice

Wind Song: what a wonderful fragrance. Love the clean smell. Something fresh and certainly captures a soft mild wind song a soft wind blowing through the trees. Will use sparingly as this is extremely hard to find in SA.

JPS1979
JPS1979

My dad's mother used to wear this. I associate it with her, and it's very comforting when I pick up a bottle and smell it.

miahreis
miahreis

My relationship of Wind Song has changed so dramatically over the past few years. Every time I go to Walmart I smell this perfume, even though when I smelled it it smelled so horrible to me and my virgin nose. But now, when I go and smell it, it really appeals to me, as if I had to aquire a taste for it. I sprayed the cheap aerosol can on my arm, and after it settles down it becomes this floral powdery smell. I'm 26, my boyfriend smelled this on me and said, "On anyone else it would smell like an old lady, but on you it smells nice." I really like vintage fragrances because I love the vintage style, I wear pearls and pencil skirts almost every day of my life. But my point is, I don't think it's fair that fragrances get bad raps for being "old lady." I think my problem was before I had the mindset like every young person my age that there are perfumes we can't touch because our grandmothers wore them, but once I opened my mind to being unique, I found I love a lot of the vintage perfumes. I'm trying to convey the message that each person has their own version of a fragrance based on their body chemistry, so don't knock a fragrance just because it doesn't smell good on one person, you may surprise yourself and find one (Like I did) that you absolutely love!

PS
I tend to grow tired of a fragrance very easily, so I have a lot so I can wear a different one every day. But with Wind Song, I have worn it for two solid weeks consecutively and I'm still not tired of this fragrance. I have the EDP and the dusting powder and just adore both! It's definitely a fragrance I wear for just for me and not to please others, so it's definitely a plus when it warms on my skin my boyfriend tells me I smell good when he hugs me! Score! lol

LunaTaylor
LunaTaylor

My dad got this for me as a teen, which was unexpected. I always had very sweet scents I picked for myself but I remember feeling grown up with this. It does smell a bit like Lu'Air du temps but not as "carnation".

ricepritchard
ricepritchard

Wind Song is a good buy. Although inexpensive it does not smell "cheap". The recent version is somewhat different from earlier versions but the scent is still heavy on carnation and cardamon and pleasant after the dry down. It is also long lasting. it also comes in a really nice dusting powder. This cologne has held up over the decades and comes in a lovely box and cute glass bottle. This is a summer perfume. Some of the old Wind Song tv commercials are on You Tube. Specifically from 1969, 1974, 1987 and 1998. In the first commercial the couple are in their fifties, in the next the couple are in their forties, in the third the couple are in their thirties, and in the last the couple are in their twenties! If they ever do another Wind Wong commercial I guess the couple will be "teeny boppers"! Anyway, Wind Song does stay on my mind, I can't seem to forget it---and don't want to. Several old girlfriends wore it. Good memories!

Raven NessRavenous
Raven NessRavenous

Wind Song was the only perfume I remember my maternal grandmother wearing. My grandmother came of age in the 50's. In the pictures of her during her teenage years, she sported rolled cropped jeans, striped 3/4 sleeved shirts, saddle shoes and a mod pixie cut. She was so petite, not even 5 five feet tall, and I don't think she ever weighed more than 120 pounds. She was a do-it-yourself working type and could lift a whole chest of drawers after working all day. She wore short shorts and bikini tops when she mowed the lawn, shot squirrels from her window, skinned them, and fried them. She cussed, did not go to church, smoked, was a cleaning fanatic, and played UNO. She always beat me in Nintendo and had parakeet that she did not keep in the cage even though it bit her. She gave me hard liquor when I was sick so I would fall asleep and I loved her dearly. I would sit on her lap, even when it was 100 degrees outside and I was all sweaty from playing, put my arms around her, and smell Wind Song. For that, I love Wind Song and no one else can understand. Shame on whoever decided to turn it into a cheap body spray that that sours as it rests on the bottom corner shelf at K-Mart.

saragun
saragun

lOVE IT, HAVE NOT SEEN IT THOUGH THEY STOP MAKING IT AND TO MY SURPRISE THERE ARE TONS OF THEM IN EVERY STORE. LOVELY, CLASSY LONG LASTING FRAGRANCE, BRINGS THE SCENT OF MY CHILDHOOD

Chilly28r
Chilly28r

The smell of the 50s in a bottle!

...now depending on your take of the 50s that could be good or bad :0)

PrincessWillow
PrincessWillow

Soft powdery smell......at first it remind's me of the old Avon scent topaz!! Then it just settles into a soft powdery aroma that lasts for hours. It smells very much like aromatics elixir which I have also!! Great cheap purchase!! Blind buy and love it!! :)

Searro
Searro

Great perfume bargains turn up when you least expect them. My first was a 3.4 oz. of Alfred Sung at Marshall's for $12.99. So potent are the deep floral notes in that one, that a single spray behind my ear will get me compliments all day long. Understand also that I'm a perfume junkie who digs strong, classic aldehydic compositions. Were I able to afford even a small bottle of Chanel No. 5 eau de parfum, it would sit proudly on my boudoir perfume counter.

That said, my 1.35 oz. bottle of Prince Matchabelli's Wind Song was just $12.00--at Walmart. I remember once, years ago, our neighbor across the street--an eccentric lady in her mid-60's--presented my mother an aerosol can of Wind Song as a birthday gift. Upon opening it, Ma sprayed it once in her presence, saying that it was "different," but gave it away quickly afterward to her Mary Kay representative. Had I been the fragrance conoisseur then that I am today, I'd've taken it off her hands in a heartbeat.

While Wind Song has been quoted often as predominantly floral and spicy, I'm drawn to its resemblance to the higher-end aldehydic perfumes like Lanvin Arpege and Chanel Noir. The carnation and corriander notes are surprisingly powerful on the initial spray, while the orange leaf and taragon accents gradually transmute once this perfume has dried on your skin (about half-an-hour to 45 minutes). And, oh yes, this fragrance definitely stays with you. One or two sprays on my clavicle alone will take me through half the day.

Be forewarned, however, that this fragrance is not the soft and girly body mists that are popular on Bath & Body Works or Clinique shelves. Such vintage classics as Wind Song (1953) are to be designated for the upper-class, respectable and organized women.

Briarthorn
Briarthorn

The guest review below was mine...

This was my first blind buy based on MisterCrazyLeg's review.

This scent opens very soapy with a serious citrus zing from the Bergamont, mandarin, and lemon. There is a hint of greenness too, from the orange leaf maybe. It's a bit sharp and almost too soapy but you can sense the spices and creamy bouquet hiding under the citrus punch.

After about thirty minutes the extreme soapiness fades away with the citrus opening and we are left with a very lovely heart. There are two very distinct things going on here. A spicy side and a creamy floral side. The spices are beautiful blend of the coriander, cloves and carnation. The carnation lending a nice peppery bite to it. The other side of this is the creamy bouquet. Jasmine, and Ylang-ylang with a bit of sweetness from the tarragon and amber. It truly is lovely. There is a smooth creaminess that prevents the florals from being sharp and clashing with the peppery spices. I believe this creaminess is from the benzoin, sandalwood, and amber. I didn't get any rose.

The dry down is less floral and more of the spice side of the heart. Cloves, coriander and peppery carnation. It's also a little powdery from the orris root and there's a pop of musk and creamy amber and sandalwood.

This is a truly classic and beautiful scent. It has the complexity and ability to evolve on the skin that you would expect from a high end niche perfume house. I cannot believe I paid so little for it. It's cheap but smells luxurious. The sillage is nice and personal. Not too loud but someone standing next to you will smell it. Over all it lasted about 10 hours on me but was a skin scent after about 6.

This was my first blind buy based on MisterCrazyLeg's review.

This is a truly classic and beautiful scent. It has the complexity and ability to evolve on the skin that you would expect from a high end niche perfume house. I cannot believe I paid so little for it. It's cheap but smells luxurious. The sillage is nice and personal. Not too loud but someone standing next to you will get smell it. Over all it lasted about 10 hours on me but was a skin scent after about 6.

zzMaja
zzMaja

I used to wear this in grade school and high school. Yes, we did and it was potent. I was only 9 yrs. old at the time and actually quite the tom boy, but I loved this perfume. It made me feel girly and sexy. My grandmother loved it, but my mother hated it. Maybe because I wore too much of it. I used to buy it for everyone for Christmas because I loved the little crown and it was very inexpensive. Just a small dab was all you needed. Would love to wear it again just to bring back the memories.

Ballenger
Ballenger

Wind Song had been my signature fragrance since the 1970s. Sure, I've tried other trendy colognes, but they do nothing for me. I have been asked by co-workers, friends, strangers, men and women, what fragrance it is that I am wearing. A former co-worker asked me to walk past her desk each day so she could smell my lovely cologne. That never happened when I splurged and bought D and G Light Blue. Only my Wind Song makes people stop, ask, and compliment. This wonderful fragrance lasts all day on me. I hope PM never ceases production.

greeneyedsoul
greeneyedsoul

Scent reminds me of my one and only mema who passed away this November. She used the bath powder religiously. I switched it up our last Christmas together and got her Beautiful by Estee Lauder bath powder instead....

Daisycat18
Daisycat18

Ive gone on a 1970s jag with perfumes as i believe they are better smelling than modern efforts. Or perhaps i should say 1870s and before . Most modern fragrances either smell like a fruit salad or a bowl of sugar. Don't get me wrong, my trade in in fragrances and i love fruit and sugar but not as a scent. So im going through my memories trying to drag up all those we used to wear and i loved. This is one of them. The wind song ad was a real grabber in itself but the scent is clean, soft and pleasant. No strong stunner but it doesn't upset the boat either. We have all smelled a wrong scent on someone and whispered "poo!" Under our breath, but not with this scent. Its great for those if us who live in hot climates as its easy for a quick spritz and great after a shower. It can be a bit soapy when first sprayed, but settles within 5 minutes and is pleasant.

PurpleMyst
PurpleMyst

When I first smelled this I was a little put off by it. It seemed a little "tangy" and sharp to me. I was in my early teens at the time, now I'm a little older and I find I actually like it. Perhaps a little chemistry change? Any way, it's a nice smell that doesn't seem to draw too much attention and members of the family who suffer allergies aren't bothered by it.

campfilo
campfilo

Yes, formula has changed, smells like old fashioned hairspray, makes me sneeze. Mostly carnations.

Laure_lei
Laure_lei

I hate this scent with a passion. Gives me a headache and makes me instantly car-sick, even when I'm not in a car. One whiff, and it's stuck in your nose forever. Ugh!!!

Beth1218
Beth1218

I love Wind Song. It's very feminine and floral. I buy vintage bottles of it off Ebay. Most are wonderful (the ones with the swan on the bottle seem best). But, sometimes I get a stale batch. I don't buy brand new as I believe the reformulation doesn't do any justice to the original.

SorceressOfTheDark
SorceressOfTheDark

Wind Song begins with a blast of citrus notes that rather quickly fades into soapiness for a few hours. If you stick around say five hours or so, the delightful cloves and spices kick in. And then the magic begins. Prince Matchabelli's fragrances stick it out for the long haul and always have, surprising you each and every turn of the way.
It's like taking a road trip on a winding, curving highway along a mountain. You're driving to the top and it's exciting because you know when you get there the view is fabulous. In the meantime, the road twists and turns and it careens in different directions. You have no idea where this fragrance is going, but you know at the end there is a treasure. The end is worth the while.
This is a perfume that lingers from when it was made-the early 1950's. Perhaps it has chosen to stay there when we see images of perfumes and the women that might represent them. I think of Ethel of "I Love Lucy" who might have chosen this perfume because Fred would have bought it for her. And she would have worn it simply because she owned it and it smelled good to her for that era.
But for those of us who sit and compare perfume after perfume, dissect them, yes, this is quite vintage and different.
Although its notes are many, they mix to create a familiar scent immediately that seems to put off many. You can call it powder, or a fancy soap wrapped in a soap dish, and it seems to have that effect on many. It's called soapiness, and it's found in many vintage fragrances. And for women of that era, women that could not afford expensive perfumes, women who lived the American Dream who shopped Main Street department stores and drugstores, Wind Song was theirs. They knew it had potential. They knew the desirability of Prince Matchabelli perfumes. And if you wait for the dry down, you'll see it too. You'll find the cloves and spices mesmerizing their way in hours later.
Prince Matchabelli perfumes are magical in their own way. They never cease to amaze me. You just have to give them time to develop and mature on your skin to appreciate their capacity.

I think Wind Song gets an unfair bad rap. It is very similar to the vintage L’Air du Temps, but I like Wind Song so much better. Wind Song is a rather loud vintage smelling floral, very prominent carnation, and very spicy. This is the way I wish L’Air du Temps smelled on me, but L’Air du Temps has been reduced to a dusty carnation soliflore on my skin in its current formulation, while Wind Song doesn’t seem to have changed that much. Carnation is not that popular these days, so you do have to like carnations to like this. Carnation is not my favorite flower, but I do rather like it, and there are loads of other notes and spices here to keep things interesting.

mariasara
mariasara

I have no memories or associations regarding this perfume. It was an offer of a dear american friend and I love it! It´s a pure, clean, soapy perfume with a strong smell of carnation and a wonderful drydown. I would say it´s comparable to láir du temps, but without the incense. A wonderful treat, but you have to like this kind of fragrance (and carnation).

teresathebarista
teresathebarista

When I was about eleven, this was one of the Holy Grails available for a few bucks in Wal-Mart and Big Lots. Along with the "impressions of" perfumes, there was always this aerosol can with the lovely birds on it and I coveted it back then. At the age of 29, I decided to buy myself a bottle again. I sprayed it in the car, expecting the magic to return, but what used to smell like mature romance now just smelled like an old lady. I drove home smelling like I had Miss Daisy in the backseat.

adair58
adair58

I wore this in the late 1970's, as I often received it as a gift. It was an okay floral to me, as I really am not fond of carnation and carnation dominates this perfume. Tested it again recently and it seems to have morphed into a bitter mess of carnations and maybe geranium and anything else that is stinging-all in one bottle. At the drydown it goes abruptly to baby powder on me. I know memory can play tricks on us, but I don't remember it being this bad. Can not recommend the newer version, sorry.

Lornaluv
Lornaluv

This was my mother's signature scent and true to the song her Windsong stays on my mind.

To this day when I smell this I think of her. With spicy carnation and lovely florals, so clean and fresh, this fragrance speaks of a different time and elegance.

My mother was a mature mom with my siblings being much older than me. I can just see her when she was young falling in love with this beautiful fragrance done by one of her favorite perfume makers.

The funny thing is even though I would not have thought of this as something that I would consider for myself simply because it was something I identified as "Mom's" a lot of people find it similar to L'Air du Temps which I love for myself - now I see - no wonder she had told me to give the L'Air du Temps my brother had gotten me for a gift a try (I had wanted Giorgio Beverly Hills)all those years ago.

I suspect that she had loved both fragrances, but the Windsong was more available to her, and was so wonderful and charming on her that it became her own.

naomin
naomin

This...is a perfume that I have received as a gift many times. I can never give this one away fast enough. Absolutely grotesque smelling on me. Nauseating, headache-inducing, can't get it out of my nose all day sort of smell. Not at all for me. Can't stand the smell of it enough to even comment on the notes.

Pooja37
Pooja37

An old loved fragrance that takes me back in time. Loved it then and love it now. I added it to my collection as a fellow fragrantican suggested it.

The moment I spritzed it on, the memories just came flooding back. I remember this scent. I think one of my closest friends wore this and I would also spray some of her perfume whenever we went out together.

Dreamy creamy floral. Powdery and even soapy. Smells like high quality hotel soap to me, in a nice way. Perfect for casual wear and for any age group. I'm so happy that it's a part of my collection now.

magickmaven
magickmaven

This really did not last long on me at all. About an hour after some pretty liberal spraying I could hardly smell it on my wrist. So this will probably be a spritzer for scarves cardigans and even bed linens because I actually like the scent of this.

Comes out strong and the lemon and other citruses give it's top notes a soapy sort of blast tempered by the coriander. For me, the carnation came through really quick and I could smell the other florals and base note spices too. It does have a summer day kind of scent. Considering that it's supposed to be long lasting, etc. I'm surprised by my own experience with it. Maybe I'll buy the powder and layer it.

This is a classic scent from the mid-twentieth century, when sophistcated fragrance compositions were made available in all socio-economic brackets and before the idea of feminity was matched with the idea of being edible.

Reeks of carnation, which I hate. And coriander, which I hate only slightly less. Really quite horrendous. Bitter, soapy and with a note of extinguished clove cigarettes in an ashtray that got rained on, dried out in the sun and then got rained on again.
YOU NASTY.

leeleeB
leeleeB

My mother used this along with Chantilly. My mom passed in 1985 when I was 14, I found the body spray long ago and I cherish that bottle with all my heart. I spray it every now and again to remember. Doesn't smell horrible, I like it.

pbluberry
pbluberry

I have the vintage colgne spray. It's strong, kind of a spicey and woodsy smell. I'm not sure why I get some black pepper in it or cinnamon, maybe it's the corriander. It has a raw smell to me like most fragrances that has orris root. For some reason I don't detect any citrus at all in this, wish I could.. I would probably like it a bit more, it needed the added freshness.

Milladane
Milladane

This is floral, sweet, and soapy, with cloves and spices. Smells very 70s to me, probably because it was so popular then. When I released a spray on my wrist, I knew I've smelled this before. Unfortunately, the thought was, "Oh. This."

Comparing L'air Du Temps to Wind Song, they are indeed the same type of fragrance, but how they differ really makes the difference between a classic elegant perfume and a drug-store quick fix. I think it's the pungent soapy sweetness that screams of cheapness. I happen to love sweet perfumes, but I just think it's not done well here. I actually don't like L'air Du Temps that much either, by the way...I guess I must not like carnation!

It does dry down considerably better, even pretty, as it smooths out into a feminine powdery clove scent. This transformation was surprisingly nice to me, but I just can't get past that horrid beginning. Even though the top notes passes by fairly quickly, the memory of it sticks around much longer. Maybe it's not just a memory, but actual traces of the soapy beginning still hanging in the background.

This is how I see it: let's say there is a fantastic house for sale for a very low price. But to reach that house, one must go through a muddy road with slithering snakes. That's a deal breaker. I would rather pay a ton of money for an even more fabulous house with a charming road leading to it. Well, I did enjoy the visit to the Wind Song house, but I'll be living somewhere else...

lemonfreshjoy

Clean. Fresh. I smell like I've just showered. As I sniff my wrist, I catch a hint of the carnations. I didn't care much for this fragrance when I was younger, but I enjoy it now.

jennifer60656
jennifer60656

I remember Wind Song from when I was a kid and thought it was rather nasty smelling because, like many older perfumes the top notes were strange. L'air du Temps has that same almost "bug-spray" top note as well.

Since I am grown-up now and can wait out rather unforgiving top notes (see Chantilly) I decided to give this one a try again. As I remember there was that top note "thing" going on still. As it evaporates though, it becomes beautiful. Not sweet or over-flowery but VERY elegant and womanly.

One evening I was changing my clothes (after working outside in the heat, no less) and caught a whiff. I said "Damn, I smell GOOD." It was the loveliest powdery carnation/woody scent I ever smelled. This is for the cheap canister that sells for like $3.00.

I've noticed from reading many reviews and smelling for myself that many newer fragrances work in reverse. The top notes smell great but after 5 or 10 minutes or so the scent either disappears or goes "weird" and falls apart. I'll put up with a few minutes of "Yikes" if it means hours of gorgeous.

drugstore classics

I place this in the approximate scent category as White Linen, but without the overbearing aldehydes. If you cannot wear White Linen, you might give this a try. It has the same kind of fresh - air - laundry result on the right skin type.

P.S. In hot climates, you can hardly beat this for it's refreshing quality. We've even taken to spraying sheets and fabric with the body spray for a cooling and clean sensation!

drugstore classics

I so wanted to like this old favorite, possibly because of the beautiful box and the still - available body powder. On my skin, this is more or less like one of those spring scented Lysols - rather harsh.

Now I am laughing, because my sister just tried this no-no; it was fresh, bright, and even lightly sweet and powdery on her! She has worn little else this summer ever since, a very nice choice for hot weather... Now she owns the cologne, bath powder, and body spray - and wouldn't part with any of them!

The body spray in particular is ideal for spraying out musty rooms,cloth and closets, and I myself love it for this purpose. I'm suddenly very glad she tried Wind Song. In spite of my negative experience, it's utterly exciting on her - not even slightly dated.

For reference, her other favorites include the widely dissimilar but gorgeous Chanel No 5 , Jessica McClintock, White Shoulders, and Gucci Guilty.

I hope this review spurs somebody else on to overcome a fragrance assumption and enjoy a new scent experience soon!

perhapspersephone
perhapspersephone

I remember this perfume. I never liked it. I bought the body spray just to see if my taste had changed. Thank God it only cost me a dollar.

Honestly I don't smell flowers. I smell something harsh and abrasive , lightly soapy and powdery.
The body mist does last forever though. I feel like Lady McBeth trying to was it off. It won't budge!

Yuck.

lisalgreer
lisalgreer

I can smell the coriander, sandalwood, and other calming scents. Very nice! I picked up the cheap body spray, and it seems to have decent lasting powder--as strong as some of my perfumes, in fact. I think this is a great, fresh scent. Inoffensive and pleasant. Glad I tried it.

heatherine
heatherine

My son swears this smells like an old lady's shawl, although he admits it's not a bad smell. "Just not what I would hope my Mom smells like...at least not for another 20 years or so." However, I do like Wind Song, I've always liked it. I haven't worn it since high school but picked up a "deodorant body spray" can of it while at the drugstore a few weeks ago in a moment of retro weakness. I used it to lightly spritz my linens and it's really lovely to snuggle in to the faint scent of it in my sheets. I wouldn't wear it as I no longer care for powdery perfumes on my skin. And is it powdery!

millie32
millie32

One of the very first scents I wore when I was a teenager.My Aunt used to where Wing song and my mother just loved the light floral scent with just a touch of clean green forest .Also the commercials they had back in the 70s .(What was that saying?) Oh,yes, Her wind song stays in my mind.I used to receive Wind song as a gift every year as a Christmas gift or as a birthday present.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

I've never knowingly smelled L'Air du Temps (these old feminines aren't really my focus), but I do like Wind Song. It certainly smells like it's from 1953. The massive bergamot/carnation/orange balm/coriander on top is an incredible intro, loaded with pungency and unfortunately a little too much alcohol. Inexpensive drugstore frags sometimes smell nice in the opening and crappy in the drydown, but Wind Song suffers crudeness on top and becomes better as it dries. The heart is full of spice, loads of clove and tarragon, and the base is rich with amber and benzoin resins. The far drydown is a nice clean sandalwood, very smooth and dry. These '50s-era florientals often make me think of how women might have smelled in 18th century Europe. I don't know why. But it's good to know they still make Wind Song, and it hasn't been reformulated into some bland chemical spill. Thumbs up.

ecofreak2001
ecofreak2001

With green, flowery & powdery notes, this frag is so cute & feminine! Like it for casual ware.

dmaw
dmaw

This was my signature scent when I was 16 in the late 70's. A good friend even became a copycat. Fast forward a few years, there was a candle available. I still have it and am tryihg to make it last. Although, I no longer wear Wind Song, the scent still brings back teenage memories.

Peking
Peking

I just bought this today on a whim! I have tons of super nice perfumes and do not wear them often enough because everyone I know has allergies... So while on an errand I saw it and was charmed by the art work on the box and it took me back to childhood. As soon as I sprayed some on I loved something in the undertones and couldn't quite place it but I thought of Christmas and snacks. Once I looked it up I noticed orange and cloves, that's it.
I believe my mother's best friend wore this as her everyday scent.
I really like it :)

ALaM
ALaM

My grandmother wore this but I don't consider it an "old lady" scent at all. It's quite timeless and classic, has a summery feel but can wear well in all seasons. It's an all-arounder if you ask me - all ages, all seasons, all occasions. You can't go wrong with this one. I've been wanting to smell LADT to compare to this but I do know this is certainly more affordable. I like the carnation and coriander in this as well as the cedar and sandalwood laced through every whiff. It is indeed a little soapy at first, but it doesn't last long. One day I'll order the vintage/original. One of my favourite fragrances.

LuvsWhtDiamonds
LuvsWhtDiamonds

I wore this one as a teenager and loved it. Haven't wore it since then.

hlhenderson
hlhenderson

I remember this. Pew. Dense, "I can almost taste it" kind of odor, that would otherwise smell wholesome and classic if not for the obnoxiousness of its tangy medicinal first impression.

Midwestgirl
Midwestgirl

I wore Wind Song briefly back in the 1970's when it was very popular. Its a very sweet; floral cologne that has tremendous lasting power. I too love those old commercials, "I can't seem to forget you, your Wind Song stays on my mind". A truly great commercial that I'll always remember with such fondness. I tried it recently after smelling it on a co-worker. Ummmm...just not me at all...better on someone else. I returned it; felt bad but had to. The memory of Wind Song is very sweet, but unfortunately so was the cologne...a bit too sweet for me. But nice to know a classic scent is still out there for those that still love it and can wear it...

lemonfreshjoy

I haven't worn this but I love it on other people. It smells fresh and nostalgic to me. I loved the commercials when I was a little girl. So romantic.

CalicoSilk
CalicoSilk

This is my favorite cheap fragrance. Gives me a, clean soap feel, boost in the hot Texas summers days. It makes people around me smile.

francisrose
francisrose

Windsong is a lovely powdery floral that is heavy on the carnation which is a plus for me. It reminds me of a fresh corsage or bouquet of cut flowers. It is very much like L'air du Temps albeit a little crisper. I wore this fragrance for many years and stil pull it out in summer when
i want something light and fresh to wear. This fragrance is beautiful and well worth the effort. Love it.

scarlettcroix
scarlettcroix

Not a review but for those of you who are looking for un-altered classics, try The Vermont Country Store. I have found it to be a treasure trove for memeories...

BearysHoney
BearysHoney

my mom's signature scent - just seems too chemically based and heavy on the flowers for me. This was my introduction into perfumes, luckily I found that everyone's got to find their own scent and this one was not for me but it does remind me of my mom whenever I see it because people always give her the gift packs as presents lol

strong floral with muted spices. long lasting, but always a headache inducer for me. not a favorite of mine from back in the day.
wasn't their slogan:
i can't seem to forget you, your windsong stays on my mind.
i liked that.

ccj36
ccj36

I used Wind Song when I was in junior high. I liked it because it was clean, pretty, and for me, unique. (most of my friends were wearing either Love's Baby Soft or Lauren by RL at that time)

I have a recently purchased bottle, plus a can of the body spray (light green with the pretty bird design that is also found on the box), and I think the body spray smells more like the version I remember using.

I can't distinguish any particular notes, but it is floral, clean, and ladylike. I still think it is a comfortable fragrance to wear---not overpowering, just pretty. Perfect for casual use.

krmarich
krmarich

This is for a vintage crown bottle splash. It was one of the most graceful perfumes ever created. All of the notes were put together effortlessly and a few drops would last all day.

Alas like all good things, a dreadful reformulation has shattered an American classic. The current rubbish is fine for wardrobe spray or the WC....

SandraV
SandraV

I had never smelled this but have been on a kick lately of trying perfumes from the past that I had always ignored before(for what ever reason).It does smell very similar to L'Air du Temps(which I have)but this doesn't have the strong carnation note I get from LADT-I actually can't wear LADT because it smells like pure clove on me.This is a nice 'just for me' scent that I will probably reach for a bit more in cooler weather.Too bad the bottle isn't as pretty as the box;)

rye
rye

I saw this the other day on sale, remembered the reviews here, and the lovely box drew me in. What the heck.

From the bottle and for the first few minutes it smells like old fashioned perfume with a capital P. No one note or notes jumps out, just that "she's wearing Perfume!" vibe. Then it settled onto my skin in a strangely medicinal way.

I'm guessing that this formulation is probably nothing like the original from your reviews. This one has cheap ingredients and smells like a mess. Why do they bother? I should have kept the box and thrown away the bottle.

athenian
athenian

The vintage Wind Song perfume is almost identical to "L'Air du Temps". It smells more like "L'Air du Temps" than the new reformulated version of the Nina Ricci classic.

Cassandra Snow
Cassandra Snow

Just bought a new bottle and a vintage bottle. There is no comparison. The new one has a very sharp soapy scent at first, then it faded a bit to a fairly nice scent, but within one hour it had totally disappeared on me. The vintage bottle has a far more beautiful fragrance, as one reviewer wrote it is very much like L'Air Du Temps but sweeter. It also has staying power. I will not waste my money on the new one again, but will continue to buy the vintage version when I need it

krissycat
krissycat

I do not like this perfume very much but my mom really likes it. Infact the minute I said it was a Prince Matchabelli her eyes lit up. Based on the good reviews I wanted to give it a shot, but I found it too strong for my tastes. I smell too much alchohol and I'm just overwhelmed but I can see where there can be an appeal. It is different.. and I do see a similarity to L'Air du Temps, another one I don't like so much, but my mother loves it. It goes to show you how everyone has their own tastes. I very much like from Prince Matchabelli a scent I no longer see being sold called UNRULY. That scent is way more interesting to me and smells amazingly good.. I also like New Musk. As for this little baby I traded with my mom today for Poeme by Lancome which I love so much more.

Ms. Holmar
Ms. Holmar

The smell is dated to me because it was worn by my mother. I do like it however, just wouldn't wear it.

Fonna
Fonna

I got this on my 15th birthday, and when I smelled it, I was hooked.
Years later I discovered L'Air du Temps, and that became my signature perfume for a while. And I absolutely loved it. But I never made the connection of how close in fragrance it was to WS.
Then there on the shelf, there it was Wind Song Body Spray. I hadn't worn this fragrance in years.
I sprayed it on,
I was 15 again, and all my younger days came racing back to memory.
Needless to say Wind Song has something a little extra in it for me when I wear it.

Kiku
Kiku

L'Air du Temps little sister. As so many others have said, they are smell alikes. Wind Song is also dominated by carnation and cedar. But WS is less complex, the notes come out all at once, not little by little like LADT. WS is not as light and airy and it is sweeter. The floral notes are more pronounced. The price makes Wind Song much more affordable for everyday. Buy it for the box if nothing else, it has the most beautiful box ever.

romrom
romrom

I bought the small body spray 10 years ago for like 99 cent. The scent was great, very soft and powdery.
yuumy

gazelle
gazelle

Wore it at my wedding 45 years ago. It was the "something borrowed," a cousin loaned me. I tend to only wear it in spring, it seems, and the flowers bring back pleasant memories. The perfume was glorious compared to cologne I have today.

larali
larali

I smelled it once when I was younger, and loved it. Then I got a sample and HATED IT beyond belief. Years went by, and I just recently sniffed it again, and it made a neutral impression. So strange.

guest_Sandy
guest_Sandy

I first got this perfume when I worked for my aunt as a teen in a dress shop. Have always loved it and my husband and children say it smells 'like me'. I can no longer find the bath powder and really miss it. I, too, have noticed a different smell in the cologne...why do companies feel they need to change things when the old is so great? I still wear it today and will continue to, but long for the older version.

happybunny10

well hear is my second post on wind song. i used the body spray after my shower a couple nights ago. so im hoping that the perfume smells better. when i first sprayed it on my arm it had a smell like ashes and flowers or baby powder kinda like an old woman who smokes and wears powder lol. dont get me wrong after a lil while the smell got better on me. but im sure ill be buying the perfume.

happybunny10

i just bought the body spray today. im going to use it after my shower tonight and see what my bf says. i remember this perfume as a kid growing up in the 80's. i cant remember how i got a hold of a bottle, if it was my mom's or maybe i got a gift set for Christmas.
i remember it smelling clean. lol i prob ask Santa for it because i liked the song. YOUR WINDSONG STAYS ON MY MIND. i think thats how it goes. aren't they in restaurant and she passes a note sprayed with windsong to this guy?

Cubby
Cubby

I grew up with Wind Song as a child - on my mother, my grandmother, and then myself. It seems for a time it was unrecognizable. I wrote Parfums de Coeur, and they said that it was reformulated back to its original version in recent years with ingredients that were available to them. They have great customer service. Anyway, I think Wind Song smells very close to the original.

This smells the same to me, but I haven't smelled the original in over 20 years, so I'm sure it's changed. It smells very old style on my skin, aldehydic and of soapy carnations. There's a hint of the spices and the faintest touch of body musk. It smells of elegant evening's out in the far past, when cars didn't come with seat belts and computers were something only NASA had. It won't be one I can ever wear for myself, but it is very elegant and dressed up for the lady who can wear it.

guest_bbm
guest_bbm

I have worn Wind Song since the 60's and have always gotten compliments. Within the past 5-10 years the fragrance has changed somewhat and it's very disappointing. I have to check each bottle I purchase to make sure it still smells like the Wind Song I love.

Sissi
Sissi

with lush green and innocent rose
make this a melancholic splendor.
gentile winds blow on a august evening
when the sky is at dusk and you picture
silhouette of a sparrow chirping it's
haunting melody before they rest for the night. and a feeling that you cant
explain so you'll walk far distances
with a heavy heart. come to a grassy
hill climbing at the top lying on the
sweet grass raising your head up to look at the twilight sky when the sunset is fading eyes started to fill up with tears thinking about life
thinking about where people go when they pass or where is heaven or what is the meaning of life. and then a gentile sound of a Erhu a chinese violin playing a haunting tune and you fall asleep into the summer night.

it reminds me when i wear this.

Chris v.V.
Chris v.V.

I had owned Wind Song in the 70s, and was feeling incredibly nostalgic for the scent for a long time. Finally purchased a bottle yesterday. I don't regret it. I lifted the cap off the bottle, smelled it, and the 60s/70s came flooding back. I don't doubt the original has been altered, but -- unlike many fragrances from my past -- my nose can't detect any particular change.

It's a powdery floral. My husband said it reminds him of the inside of a purse, and of L'Air du Temps (just as previous member noted, which I also wear). It reminds me of the scent someone might leave behind on their scarves. Readers might feel its scent and description make it too old lady-ish, but it still makes me smile.

Use a light hand: its strength is surprising.

Try the Wind Song Body Spray; comes in a can. Its cheaper and I always get compliments.

Ivy
Ivy

I wish I could remember this smell! Growing up my mother always had a bottle of this on her dresser. It was our stand-by Christmas gift to her. She actually received so many bottles of this, she had to give some away. One year she told me, "Please no more WindSong!"

HOPE007
HOPE007

I also noticed it seemed changed and didn't last like it used to... So what I did, was purchase a fabulous dupe of it from an oil seller I know of who has extremely good quality oils. I didn't want to have to go that route - but really what am I left with? If they would leave it alone and charge 3 times as much I would not mind. It was such a gorgeous scent... I do notice a resemblance to L'air du temps also.. they are both fabulous..

I have just remembered that windsong is what my grandmother wore andI remember really liking the bottle, am I correct that it used to be a clear glass crown?? Does anybody out there have one ?? beth in georgia

nyoka
nyoka

cheap,yes.butt it smells wonderful.its one of those that i spray on my pillowcases and sheets.the body powder is the best and lasts the longest.i put it on my grandbaby and,he goes arround smelling his shirt all day.my husband loves it too.and,it lasts a long time too

i used to love this perfume, but now they have changed the recipe and it evaporates and no longer lingers like it used to so i quit wearing it...... if they could make it like it held up in the 80's,90's and even 2001-2002 i would wear it all the time

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

I love this stuff so much! I love the crisp green notes of this perfume. My grandmother wore this too! I still have an original perfume bottle from the early 40's that she gave me and I cherish. Its a timeless beauty that everyone should experience at least once in their lifetime to truly understand what it takes for a perfume to survive for so long on the market!

Sugar419
Sugar419

Overwhelmingly floral--but I like it anyway. Reminds me of being 16.

soulflwr
soulflwr

I guess the one I purchased (un-sniffed) was the new formulation. Because at first it smelled like baby powder, and I mean it has a VERY STRONG baby powder smell. Like someone skipped a couple of showers and tried to cover it up with Johnson's and Degree.

THEN after it drys...

It smells like Barbeque sauce.

cattywitch
cattywitch

my mother wore this fragrance when I was a young girl. Not only did I think she was beautiful, but she smelled beautiful. Yes Windsong stays on your mind!

lillian
lillian

Will someone say if they have found the unaltered version? I have not had it for a while but wish to use it again and would rather not be unpleasantly surprised.

guest_Atomic Woman
guest_Atomic Woman

I must say I am very sad to know that Wind Song has been altered.. I thought I had purchased a "bad" bottle. I checked around and found out..they no longer make the ORIGINAL Scent, which I loved.. I wish I knew of another scent that is light and floral.. I truly HATE this new version.. So beware, and test the cologne the next time you want to buy..Wind Song.. Why do they mess with perfection?? Do the research and you will find they changed the scent..and NOT for the better..

Chatnoir
Chatnoir

This smells almost exactly like
"L'Air du Temps" to me, and judging by its release date (1953), the similar names, and the bird motif on the packaging, I'm going to guess that this was meant to be a cheaper clone of LADT. The main difference between the two scents to my nose is "Wind Song" is sweeter and smells faintly orange-blossomy while LADT is a little sharper and more floral. Overall, this is a nice scent, and I have one of the cute crown bottles (not the cool colored one like the picture, but a clear one). Since I got this for a literal "song" compared to my LADT, I'll use it as an eeryday alternative to LADT, and save my LADT for special occasions.

I used to love Wind Song as a child. As the previous reviewer said, it's clean smelling, but I find at the same time it's very complicated and layered. It manages to be suitable for day wear and still translate into night. The only downside is that it was so prevalent when I was growing up that it smells a bit dated to my nose. Still, lovely and feminine.

Wind Song by Prince Matchabelli 3.38 out of 5 based on 260 ratings and 90 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Prince Matchabelli Wind Song fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Prince Matchabelli Wind Song, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Wind Song by Prince Matchabelli. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Wind Song by Prince Matchabelli represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.