Designers » N-Q » Floral « Groups

Wind Song Prince Matchabelli for women
dislike

Wind Song Prince Matchabelli for women Videos
Wind Song Prince Matchabelli for women Pictures

Wind Song by Prince Matchabelli is a Floral fragrance for women. Wind Song was launched in 1953. Top notes are coriander, orange leaf, mandarin orange, tarragon, neroli, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are cloves, carnation, orris root, jasmine, ylang-ylang, rose and brazilian rosewood; base notes are sandalwood, amber, musk, benzoin, vetiver and cedar.

Coriander Orange Leaf Mandarin Orange Tarragon Neroli Bergamot Lemon

Red Moscow Krasnaya Moskva

Wind Song Fragrance Reviews

zyby
zyby

For me, WIND SONG is one of several summer staples that are inexpensive and easy to wear. Unfortunately, I don’t have an original vintage bottle, but I have an “oldish” one that’s about 15 years old. There’s not much left in it now, so I purchased a new one last year. On its own, the new fragrance seemed pretty close to the older one, but I hadn’t done a left wrist/right wrist comparison until today.

Initially, the old (or oldish) version is stronger, richer and more powdery, with a noticeable touch of lemon. The new one starts out a tad sharper and more floral. At that point, I didn’t smell the lemon much on the new one, but it did come up later. With dry-down, the new version started to lose that sharpish note. Within a couple of hours, the new version became very much like the older one, although it wasn’t quite as rich or as strong. I don’t know if this represents an actual formulation change or if what’s left in the older bottle has lost its top notes and the remainder has become more concentrated over the years. Right now, after 7 hours, it’s hard to tell them apart.

WIND SONG does have distinct similarities to L’AIR DU TEMPS, however, it’s not an exact duplicate. The notes have somewhat different proportions and WIND SONG doesn’t have the aldehyde notes.

Nippi
Nippi

I'm a very sentimental person, which is why I think I'm so into classic florals. Others may smell them and just dismiss them as "old lady" scents, but me? I smell generations of women who would adorn themselves in these scents. Mothers, daughters, grandmothers, great grandmothers. I smell memories and moments that can be awakened just by a single spray of a fragrance. Fragrance can be the key to unlocking memories. For example, I always remember my grandmother's house, specifically her basement where I loved to relax, smelling like crisp, clean, linen. Now, there are dozens of "linen" and "cotton" impressions available, but when you find that one that is exactly how you remember it smelling, it almost transports you back to that moment in time. That's the power of classic fragrances for a lot of people - and this is a quality new fragrances can't possess. I feel like wearing classic fragrances makes me feel grown up, mature, it allows me to stand out as a young person, and I like to wear something that has depth, history, and sentiment with it - not just a trend or fad. I'm going into great detail with this review because I have sentimental feelings regarding Wind Song. A while back, I was making a late night Meijer run and I took a stroll through the fragrance isles. I spotted L'air du Temps, and the beauty of the bottle intrigued me. It oddly seemed modern sitting next to modern fragrances, so I sprayed it. Fizzy Aldehydes - one of my favorite things in classics like Chanel No. 5. I went on and left the store, and after it had dried down, I remember smelling my sleeve where I sprayed it in the car, and I just thought "Grandma...". I had been lucky enough to know both my maternal and paternal great grandmothers. This reminded me of my Great Grandma B who had passed away a few years back. I never knew her in great depth, but have good memories spending time with her and chatting. She was a very kind and gentle woman. I eventually forced my mom to smell a sample of L'air, telling her it smelled like grandma to me. She coughed, and said "Yuck! That smells nothing like her, she would've hated that..." Then she told me, "If you wanted something that smelled like Grandma, It would be Wind Song." She told me Wind Song was all Grandma ever wore, because she had sensitivity to fragrances, which would give her bad laryngitis. Wind Song was the only perfume that didn't. I looked up Wind Song here on fragrantica, and low and behold, around 80 people voted that Wind Song smells like L'air. Not too long ago, I sprayed both fragrances, L'air on my left arm, and Wind Song on my right arm. They smell almost 100% the same to me, except Wind Song is more intense, spicier, and the lasting power is ridiculous. Wind Song is a cologne spray, yet I still smelled it on my arm after a shower. I've never had that happen with any other fragrance. L'air du Temps smells more luxurious to me, like the "expensive French soap" smell, and has more depth and layers, and it contains Aldehydes absent in Wind Song. I also isolated the note I'm smelling thanks to Fragrantica - Carnation. This is the prominent note in both Wind Song and L'air du Temps, as well as cloves as the second note. It feels almost gratifying to be able to say I can remember my grandmother always smelling like carnation and cloves. I want to find carnations now in a garden and smell them. I haven't yet bought either fragrance, but I want to buy them both. I can see myself wearing L'air du Temps more because of the more luxurious smell, and I can save Wind Song for any day I want to feel sentimental, and for any day I want to smell like Carnation and cloves, all day! Making these connections makes me want to find out what my other two beloved grandmothers wore, so I can buy and keep them for the sentimental quality.

Found myself a vintage bottle so I don't know how the reformulation stands up but the one i have smells VERY like L' air du Temps. It's really quite lovely, certainly a spring and summer perfume. With the wood and spice you would expect a cosy autumnal fragrance but the carnation is loud in this and lends itself to warm spring and summer days. It is nothing like today's modern perfumes, so if you're a fruity floral gal I would say give this a miss but if you appreciate classic vintage and are a fan of L'air, I would give this a go.

EvesFolly
EvesFolly

Some fragrances really stand the test of time. And some, like this one, immediately catapult you decades back into history. For me, it's the early 80s. This was literally the first perfume I ever fell in love with, when I was, say, eight years old. I just recently happened upon some for about $4 at a drug store, and frost my cookies, it smells just the same! In an overwhelming wave of nostalgia, I almost went off in search of some coke in a glass bottle to drink in a video arcade.

But I digress. To sum up: not a fragrance I would wear, since I'm neither eight nor eighty, but currently enjoying it as a delightful room spray. Is is green, woody, powdery, faintly mysterious, and jut a little bit magical. I think if there were a fairy wood, it would smell like this.

Hippo Princess
Hippo Princess

Sweet, powdery, and spicy goodness envelop my senses when I wear this. There's something of a fizzy cola note that weaves in and out. This is a very soapy scent in the most pleasant way.

I am too young for this to have nostalgic value to me, but I'll be blessed if I can still find this when I'm eighty.

Thatkid
Thatkid

Because of the " middle notes are cloves, carnation, orris root, jasmine, ylang-ylang, rose and brazilian rosewood; base notes are sandalwood, amber, musk, benzoin, vetiver and cedar" it would be easier to classify this as a "cold weather" fragrance, though in reality it's nice whatever the weather. The slightest whiff has people asking "what is that????" because it's so mysterious and light.

Lemon and clove do mix well.

krissykatpawz81
krissykatpawz81

Wind song is definitely the most beautiful song to me,it comforts me,it makes me feel the love I had,my great grandma Minnie is here,she only ever wore this when she left the house,my memories of this spicey,floral,ylang ylang,scent are endless!I hated this as a child,but now I understand why I like classic perfumes,my great grandma born 1919,passed 3-20-09,at 89years,6days before my birthday my mom,who was also my great grandma,this perfume I wear for her&bought for her&now I love wind song,it's a lovely womanly perfume,so classic,I usually like sweeter scents,but I love this,amazing how I can have my grandma with back with me,memories amazing!!!

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

Wind Song is an elegant and sultry spicy fragrance for the woman who likes vintage and classic floral fragrances but with something extra, something a bit on the spicier side. I don't mean this is Latin spice or even Italian or Gypsy spice. It's more in the culinary type of spice like a woman who spends just as much time in the kitchen as she does in her boudoir and can wear an apron to cook and a glamorous evening dress for dancing. This fragrance makes me feel more Italian than I am already. This scent opens very spicy right away with coriander and tarragon which promptly follow the citric neroli opening. I don't see aldehydes being listed even though I felt aldehydes. The floral aspects of the frag very clearly resemble L'air Du Temps by Nina Ricci. The same flowers are there the carnation, the jasmine, the ylang-ylang and iris/rose combo. It's even got the cloves and rosewood from L'air du Temps. But this is more of the evening perfume counterpart to the day time scent that is L'air du Temps. L'air has a relaxed, mellow and soothing feel, something to wear after a shower and to get you through your day. It's also not as spicy as Windsong. This one is definitely the perfume to put on after you've worn L'air in the day and you go out at night to go dancing or to dinner with a date. This is bolder and stronger although not in a crazy or gross way. It's also got more musk than the new formula of L'air. This is in no way a dupe of L'air just more of L'air Du Temps Noir kind of scent. I love it and do wear it in the evenings after having worn L'air in the day. If you try it out you'll get used to it and can become something to do day to day. Very perfumy very nice.

Objections
Objections

immediately wanted to try this because of the cute birdy box, I expected a light floral and had no idea about how old this perfume was. Wow I was coughing and my eyes were tearing. Not my kind of scent at all, but if you like powerful clean green sort of powdery scents try this one, you'll love it. Skip it if you love sweet gourmand stuff.

CLeeK
CLeeK

A question for all my fellow lovely noses: if I like the reformulation, I will likely love the original, yes? My great-grandmother wore this -- I was 16 when she passed away, and she was 99. I loved playing dress up with items from her drawers, and running her powder puffs silkily along my little girl arms. She had quite a few of the old-style crown bottles of Wind Song, which, of course, I thought were fabulous... I remember not liking the scent very much back then, but now times have changed - and so has my nose. So, I was just wondering.. I like the reformulation so far, but it seems to be missing something. Will I find it in the original?

ParfumAmour
ParfumAmour

I tried this today, I gave one light spray and was knocked out by how heavy, strong and spicy it was, very unexpected from the light pretty bottle.
It has needed 30 minutes to die down to become palatable for me, the coriander is somewhat overwhelming.
The longer it settles, the better it gets for me, I don't love it, but I do like it. I recognise it as a scent that older relatives wore in the past.
I wouldn't compare this with L'Air du temps, as this seems much heavier and spicier.
I would put this much more in the Cinnabar category, ie a strong fragrance that smells a lot better once it has settled down and faded a little. There are a lot of notes in this, and it does take time for the calmer notes to peep through.

SuzySchnabel

PS #: Today I bought a convenient Dianthus-Etro..and please believe me: this is almost the same .
So I'll wear Dianthus now that the big cold starts ( crave pure flowers in winter and in summer orientals)
and this WS-gem stays in closet because too rare here ( USA-people call yourself fortunate!) and wanna save it for VERY rare occasions..Found good replacement ! ( this is creamier and more patchou)

miahreis

This is my second review for this perfume, but I can't help it, I'm soooo in love with this perfume! I want to make it clear this is for the current version of this perfume; I own the vintage and current. In current, I have the perfume, body spray, and dusting powder. I fell in love with this fragrance last year when, for years, I would turn my nose in disgust; mainly I found out my great aunt Libby wore this and I wasn't about to wear the same fragrance as a GREAT Aunt. Well she certainly knew something I didn't at the time...IDK if my nose changed or matured but after a while I recognized this was a unique and lovely fragrance that no one else I knew wore; what ultimately pushed me over the edge to buy it was a found out that this was supposedly Patsy Cline's signature scent,so of course I had to get it since she's my all-time favorite female vocalist. I find that this is floral, and very fresh/clean on my skin. I especially love combining April Showers Sugar Vanilla lotion (which is $1 at Dollar Tree) with the body powder straight from the shower, and it somehow works together. My husband always compliments me, and I've received compliments from a few people with Wind Son. This scent isn't by any means sexy or seductive(well, depending on the person, I suppose...), but if you're looking for a cuddly, floral, powdery scent, a scent that sends you back to a time when ladies wore perfumes to smell lady-like, wore crinoline-petticoats, left a lot to the imagination instead of having everything hanging out, and when couples actually "courted," I would recommend this 100%!BTW I'm 27 so I have never experienced that Era that is long gone but not forgotten, but wouldn't it be fun!?

CalliopeBelle
CalliopeBelle

When my late husband and I started getting serious in 2007, we were a long distance couple. I started leaving little toiletries and things at his place for convenience. On one of my first weekend trips to his house, I realized I had no perfume. He lived in a small town, so I had no choice but to head over to the local Walmart to search for something. I came across the Wind Song aerosol body spray. I bought it without even knowing anything about it, thinking it might be a bit dated. But, it would have to do. I was pleasantly surprised, it was a soapy, warm, spicy floral with a hint of aldehydes that dried down very nicely on me. As time passed this was relegated to the back of the drawer and I stopped using it. Yet, it always held a place in my heart because of the memories attached to it. My husband passed away March 26, 2015 and I was thinking about all of the things that reminded me of the good times with my husband. I picked up a set that had the body spray, cologne and eau de toilette purse spray for me for Christmas this year. When I saw it I knew I had to have it. I tested it and all the sweet memories came flooding back. One thing I notice is that older "classic" perfumes are just different from what's on the market today. New scents have a tendency to be either fruity, sweet floral, or watery clean aquatic scents. When a scent deviates from these new standards, people want to call them "old lady" or "cheap" smelling. Also, a lot of these classic scents need time to dry down before they can be properly judged as they seem to be a bit more complex. I am having a ball rediscovering some of these older gems. Wind Song is nice and classy. It's hard for me to see how anybody could find fault with it once it's settled down. Although most people seem to think of this as a spring or summer scent, I think its subtle spicy notes are perfect for fall and winter wear. I'm so glad I picked this up.

mikasaackerman
mikasaackerman

Keyword: Outside

Wind Song. A classic by all means of the word. It has a very soapy yet fresh smell to it. When it is first sprayed, it smells like soap bubbles and cleanliness. Once it settles, it settles into a sandalwood/ylang-ylang medley that is suggestive of a day out or relaxing in the sun, rather than a formal outing.

SuzySchnabel

Wanted to order some American 'drugstore-classics' to come with my L'Origan back-ups, so asked ENDLESS advise from kind fragranticans.. one gave endless descriptions without loosing patience...Thank you sincerely !

Base, woods + patchouli ( my nose, not pyramide )...soft vetiver,sandalwood, cedar, resins....so well blended/mysterious. Trouble finding words . This discontinuation is a shame !! Famous in USA...next time I watch 'DINER' with young and scarless Mickey Rourke making fun around a bag of popcorn I'll have this smell in my scent-memory just like the caddy-interiours must have smelled this American way... it's 'more perfumery' then I expected and surprisingly more herby/spicy !
It started with me falling in love with the birds on the box ( got one with ONE red bird at upper right and NO scratch-smell sticker on upper left.... must be a older variant ) .. then becoming so curious to risk a small blind gamble....turned out NOT disappointing or 'oldfashioned' but original surprise..( NOT reminding me L'ADTemps at all )
Very classy designed heavy bottle and bird- box.

P.S.: Bottom box says ' MADE IN CHINA '
P.S.: Few days later: first time a whole day and really IN LOVE, suddenly 'I got it all'.. feminine but I can wear it ! Quality/ longevity/ airy beauty of 1 or 2 ELauder's classics... not the smell but the 'approach'.
American MASTERPIECE. Strong, lasts all day without bore or becoming 'too much'.
PS3: Rich base reminds me of AElix but less oily.(= patchou)
FOR SPECIAL OCCASIONS ..have only 68ml..worried already...

joe70062
joe70062

As a young girl, I paid visits to my teenage cousin who owned this (circa 1970's). I would sneak into her room and dab some on my arm. I loved the idea of my future teenage years, and how grownup and mature I would be. Today, I purchased a bottle at Walmart for old times sake. Even with the formula changes, it still reminds me of that time. My son caught a whiff and went bonkers. He loved it. He was all "what is that perfume you're wearing?!!" So, a new generation welcomes in Wind Song. I can't seem to forget you....

smoothshoperator
smoothshoperator

I can't imagine anyone disliking this one. It's just such a pleasant smell like fancy old fashioned soap and powder. Very feminine. Don't you just love the name as well? I love Wind Song. However, I do enjoy it on others more than myself oddly enough.

Ambergris Intoxication
Ambergris Intoxication

This scent was so hevanly on my mom in the 80's it was her signature. She was and is an artist, a painter of oil colors. She was always a bit of a hippie and she felt this was a boho type scent that suited her. It was as soft and spicy as she was back then. Mom was 5'3" 98lb and just this beautiful, willowy, delicate blond with slightly feathered hair and even her glasses made her look inocent. She never wore a bra and her makeup was always light and airy. I remember when she and dad would go out and leave us with nana and papa, when she kissed us each goodnight and she would smell of this. Ahh
She wore Loves Fresh Lemon in the daytime.

I use to try on some of her perfumes as a kid and she didn't mind as long as I left a light footprint. Alass as Wind Song was my favorite perfume on her it never worked to this day on me! I always smelled better in the ones that didn't suit her. She actually gave me her Giorgio and I was just a kid! It must have been a gift.

Anyway that's how I remember Wind Song. Soft, spicy and airy like mom.

pierson
pierson

This is utterly delightful.

Soft, feminine, slightly sweet and woody. Florals (for me, primarily carnation) and spice (more cloves than anything else). Unexpectedly lush. Clean and powdery, and it smells far more expensive than it is. I know the moment "powdery" is mentioned, people say, "ugh, old lady." But it's oddly comforting, not at all fusty or "old" smelling. The opening is zingy-fresh, lemon and orange, very bright, and I wish it would hang around a little longer. But then it slips into the florals and spices--yum.

Windsong has an amber and sandalwood drydown and my skin *loves* those. This lasts forever on me--nearly twelve hours, though of course it goes soft and right next to the skin at the last. Not bad for a cheapie, when expensive perfumes might last three hours, if that.

It makes me think a little of my mom's little yellow jar of Topaze cream perfume.

If you want gourmand, or want to smell like a bowl of sugar, Windsong isn't the perfume for you. It's warm and spicy and floral, though not particularly sweet. Very adult, lovely, feminine. It won't be one everyone wears, so if you're looking for something *different* than the sweet, fruity perfumes so prevalent now, try a bottle of this. It's astonishingly cheap and can be found nearly everywhere. You might like it. :)

drugstore classics

I initially had the same experience another reviewer had.... Carmex medicinal vibe?!

BUT.

Now it is another hot summer and I am not only loving this carnation rich beauty, but absolutely CRAVING her. No longer does she strike me as medicinal, but rather Therapeutic!

Anyone living in a sticky-humid climate should indeed give Wind Song a full test. In the blistering heat her less appealing edges soften into elegance and cooling comfort.

Six stars <3

Wheaters
Wheaters

On me this is pure smoky soap. It's absolutely divine. This is a proper perfume, worthy of the label "classic". I wasn't sure I would like it but I actually love it.
It's perfect.
Just an update: it feels like you are wrapped in soft clouds and is the most comforting perfume I have ever smelled. This is absolutely bang on the money, simply gorgeous. I am absolutely knocked sideways by how much I love this. What a corker.
Straight to the favourites shelf; not sure which current of the current favourites will be booted in favour of Wind Song.

karoonah
karoonah

I get so many compliments when I wear this. Some of my perfumes bother certain noses and I have learned to be cautious about those bottles. But WIND SONG goes down easy, apparently. It is so soft, powdery, but not weak. I use the mini tin spray bottle, btw, which I buy at Walgreens for an absolute steal. Light, easy to carry, and convenient for after the gym or overnight visits. The best day-to-day perfume I currently have. Beautiful product.

MsBacall
MsBacall

Wind Song was supposedly the late great country singer Patsy Cline's signature scent. It was very affordable and at every drugstore. This is unlike anything on the market right now. It's not fruity or sweet. Even though it's been reformulated, I still get a vintage vibe from the blend. All the notes are present on my skin. Warm, clean, fresh, bright, and comforting. Lemon really reasonates on me as well as the carnation note. I didn't realize I enjoy coriander. It's yummy in this. After the dry down, the rose and ylang come forth...I find it luscious. Cut to...

My boyfriend and I went for walk this afternoon and he said, "Do you smell that?" I replied, "What are you smelling?" He said, "Whatever it is, it is making me happy." I held my wrist up to his nose. He then said, "That's it. It smells like home. What is that? I love it."

I would have to agree with him. It smells like home and happiness.

It makes me feel cozy and ready for the summer heat. You could wear this anytime of year, but it really makes me think of lazy summer Sundays.

A. Rose123
A. Rose123

In the spirit of "Je Reviens", "L'Air du temps" and "Blue Grass", "Windsong" is fresh in that mid 20th Century way; equal parts rainfresh and creamy-powdery, with an overlay of tulle-like crisp aldehydes. This is "clean" done the 1950's way; triple-milled floral soap, cold cream and talc.

The fatty, creamy carnation note, with its clove sweetness mashed with mineral powder freshness is at the heart of "Windsong" but some other notes dance around it and make for an interesting, Spring fresh blend.

The metallic aldehydes mixed with a slightly herbal mix of greens, feels like raindrops on new leaves. The tarragon that gives the same green hint, also hints at soil and orris root and even pleasant kind of moldy dampness -- not of a damp cellar but of wet leaves on the forest floor.

That quality is counteracted by the hard-soap freshness of a lily of the valley blended with Madonna lily and something like sweet apple blossom. I find it interesting that those who developed this scent were brave enough to allow the wet soil note into the blend, giving it a true wet garden vibe.

Finally, the other florals -- smelling of petunia, tagette, honeysuckle and violet -- come forward at full blast, blending with a benzoin freshness and a rosewood kind of woodsy base. The hard, fine milled soap quality is what's experienced until drydown.

I would place "Wind Song" as the ultimate, soapy floral because its wetness always references that soap lather and when it dries down, the rosewood-esque quality in the base makes it resemble finely powdered laundry soap, in its dry creaminess. You have to be a floral lover, particularly lover of carnation and violet but if you are, "Wind Song" is distinctive, economical beauty.

DJJellyBean
DJJellyBean

This perfume is beautiful. The way I would describe it is that it has a clean slightly soapy incense vibe to it. At one point this was my summer perfume, it's very laid back. To me it screams hot summer days, wearing boho gypsy skirts, listening to classic rock music, and being with your soul mate totally carefree and happy. As you can tell this perfume has a special place in my heart. Its like a bottle of peace and love. I will be wearing it again come summer, just a quick spritz in the air and walkthrough that's all you need. Its a heavy hitter.
A good song that reminds me of this fume would be: Indian Summer by The Doors. :) ❤

Deirdre1969
Deirdre1969

I'm a little heartbroken that this turned medicinal on me. I had searched long and hard for a store that had a tester of this, and when I finally found one... thank goodness I didn't buy Wind Song. It was lovely out of the bottle, and was lovely on my hand for about half an hour or so, but then as I was driving home I noticed it had turned to something very old-time-medicine-cabinet... Vicks? Carmex? Clove oil? I don't know. Very sad.

I could try it again without comparing it to other perfumes... maybe it was my nose that day... LOL

VieuxCarre
VieuxCarre

I'm 31 and I like this.
Its a great spray right after the shower because you feel powdered and finished. I wear it mostly around the house as a comfort scent

gracenote-floralspice
gracenote-floralspice

Wind Song: what a wonderful fragrance. Love the clean smell. Something fresh and certainly captures a soft mild wind song a soft wind blowing through the trees. Will use sparingly as this is extremely hard to find in SA.

JPS1979
JPS1979

My dad's mother used to wear this. I associate it with her, and it's very comforting when I pick up a bottle and smell it.

miahreis

My relationship of Wind Song has changed so dramatically over the past few years. Every time I go to Walmart I smell this perfume, even though when I smelled it it smelled so horrible to me and my virgin nose. But now, when I go and smell it, it really appeals to me, as if I had to aquire a taste for it. I sprayed the cheap aerosol can on my arm, and after it settles down it becomes this floral powdery smell. I'm 26, my boyfriend smelled this on me and said, "On anyone else it would smell like an old lady, but on you it smells nice." I really like vintage fragrances because I love the vintage style, I wear pearls and pencil skirts almost every day of my life. But my point is, I don't think it's fair that fragrances get bad raps for being "old lady." I think my problem was before I had the mindset like every young person my age that there are perfumes we can't touch because our grandmothers wore them, but once I opened my mind to being unique, I found I love a lot of the vintage perfumes. I'm trying to convey the message that each person has their own version of a fragrance based on their body chemistry, so don't knock a fragrance just because it doesn't smell good on one person, you may surprise yourself and find one (Like I did) that you absolutely love!

PS
I tend to grow tired of a fragrance very easily, so I have a lot so I can wear a different one every day. But with Wind Song, I have worn it for two solid weeks consecutively and I'm still not tired of this fragrance. I have the EDP and the dusting powder and just adore both! It's definitely a fragrance I wear for just for me and not to please others, so it's definitely a plus when it warms on my skin my boyfriend tells me I smell good when he hugs me! Score! lol

UPDATE: 11/30/2015
I just recently purchased a vintage bottle on ebay, and I'm so surprised at how much more in-depth Wind Song is compared to the newer version I purchased at Walmart. You can tell they're both the same fragrance, but with the vintage the soapy note stays with you longer, whereas the new formulation is more powdery. I love both dearly, so I'm not disappointed in either, just goes to show how differently they made perfumes back then. I've fallen in love with the bath powder for just-out-of-the-shower use, it's not strong, just a nice fresh powdery smell that my husband always compliments me on. I hope they don't stop selling it!

LunaTaylor
LunaTaylor

My dad got this for me as a teen, which was unexpected. I always had very sweet scents I picked for myself but I remember feeling grown up with this. It does smell a bit like Lu'Air du temps but not as "carnation".

ricepritchard
ricepritchard

Wind Song is a good buy. Although inexpensive it does not smell "cheap". The recent version is somewhat different from earlier versions but the scent is still heavy on carnation and cardamon and pleasant after the dry down. It is also long lasting. it also comes in a really nice dusting powder. This cologne has held up over the decades and comes in a lovely box and cute glass bottle. This is a summer perfume. Some of the old Wind Song tv commercials are on You Tube. Specifically from 1969, 1974, 1987 and 1998. In the first commercial the couple are in their fifties, in the next the couple are in their forties, in the third the couple are in their thirties, and in the last the couple are in their twenties! If they ever do another Wind Wong commercial I guess the couple will be "teeny boppers"! Anyway, Wind Song does stay on my mind, I can't seem to forget it---and don't want to. Several old girlfriends wore it. Good memories!

Raven NessRavenous
Raven NessRavenous

Wind Song was the only perfume I remember my maternal grandmother wearing. My grandmother came of age in the 50's. In the pictures of her during her teenage years, she sported rolled cropped jeans, striped 3/4 sleeved shirts, saddle shoes and a mod pixie cut. She was so petite, not even 5 five feet tall, and I don't think she ever weighed more than 120 pounds. She was a do-it-yourself working type and could lift a whole chest of drawers after working all day. She wore short shorts and bikini tops when she mowed the lawn, shot squirrels from her window, skinned them, and fried them. She cussed, did not go to church, smoked, was a cleaning fanatic, and played UNO. She always beat me in Nintendo and had parakeet that she did not keep in the cage even though it bit her. She gave me hard liquor when I was sick so I would fall asleep and I loved her dearly. I would sit on her lap, even when it was 100 degrees outside and I was all sweaty from playing, put my arms around her, and smell Wind Song. For that, I love Wind Song and no one else can understand. Shame on whoever decided to turn it into a cheap body spray that that sours as it rests on the bottom corner shelf at K-Mart.

saragun
saragun

lOVE IT, HAVE NOT SEEN IT THOUGH THEY STOP MAKING IT AND TO MY SURPRISE THERE ARE TONS OF THEM IN EVERY STORE. LOVELY, CLASSY LONG LASTING FRAGRANCE, BRINGS THE SCENT OF MY CHILDHOOD

Chilly28r
Chilly28r

The smell of the 50s in a bottle!

...now depending on your take of the 50s that could be good or bad :0)

PrincessWillow
PrincessWillow

Soft powdery smell......at first it remind's me of the old Avon scent topaz!! Then it just settles into a soft powdery aroma that lasts for hours. It smells very much like aromatics elixir which I have also!! Great cheap purchase!! Blind buy and love it!! :)

Searro
Searro

Great perfume bargains turn up when you least expect them. My first was a 3.4 oz. of Alfred Sung at Marshall's for $12.99. So potent are the deep floral notes in that one, that a single spray behind my ear will get me compliments all day long. Understand also that I'm a perfume junkie who digs strong, classic aldehydic compositions. Were I able to afford even a small bottle of Chanel No. 5 eau de parfum, it would sit proudly on my boudoir perfume counter.

That said, my 1.35 oz. bottle of Prince Matchabelli's Wind Song was just $12.00--at Walmart. I remember once, years ago, our neighbor across the street--an eccentric lady in her mid-60's--presented my mother an aerosol can of Wind Song as a birthday gift. Upon opening it, Ma sprayed it once in her presence, saying that it was "different," but gave it away quickly afterward to her Mary Kay representative. Had I been the fragrance conoisseur then that I am today, I'd've taken it off her hands in a heartbeat.

While Wind Song has been quoted often as predominantly floral and spicy, I'm drawn to its resemblance to the higher-end aldehydic perfumes like Lanvin Arpege and Chanel Noir. The carnation and corriander notes are surprisingly powerful on the initial spray, while the orange leaf and taragon accents gradually transmute once this perfume has dried on your skin (about half-an-hour to 45 minutes). And, oh yes, this fragrance definitely stays with you. One or two sprays on my clavicle alone will take me through half the day.

Be forewarned, however, that this fragrance is not the soft and girly body mists that are popular on Bath & Body Works or Clinique shelves. Such vintage classics as Wind Song (1953) are to be designated for the upper-class, respectable and organized women.

Briarthorn
Briarthorn

The guest review below was mine...

This was my first blind buy based on MisterCrazyLeg's review.

This scent opens very soapy with a serious citrus zing from the Bergamont, mandarin, and lemon. There is a hint of greenness too, from the orange leaf maybe. It's a bit sharp and almost too soapy but you can sense the spices and creamy bouquet hiding under the citrus punch.

After about thirty minutes the extreme soapiness fades away with the citrus opening and we are left with a very lovely heart. There are two very distinct things going on here. A spicy side and a creamy floral side. The spices are beautiful blend of the coriander, cloves and carnation. The carnation lending a nice peppery bite to it. The other side of this is the creamy bouquet. Jasmine, and Ylang-ylang with a bit of sweetness from the tarragon and amber. It truly is lovely. There is a smooth creaminess that prevents the florals from being sharp and clashing with the peppery spices. I believe this creaminess is from the benzoin, sandalwood, and amber. I didn't get any rose.

The dry down is less floral and more of the spice side of the heart. Cloves, coriander and peppery carnation. It's also a little powdery from the orris root and there's a pop of musk and creamy amber and sandalwood.

This is a truly classic and beautiful scent. It has the complexity and ability to evolve on the skin that you would expect from a high end niche perfume house. I cannot believe I paid so little for it. It's cheap but smells luxurious. The sillage is nice and personal. Not too loud but someone standing next to you will smell it. Over all it lasted about 10 hours on me but was a skin scent after about 6.

This was my first blind buy based on MisterCrazyLeg's review.

This is a truly classic and beautiful scent. It has the complexity and ability to evolve on the skin that you would expect from a high end niche perfume house. I cannot believe I paid so little for it. It's cheap but smells luxurious. The sillage is nice and personal. Not too loud but someone standing next to you will get smell it. Over all it lasted about 10 hours on me but was a skin scent after about 6.

zzMaja
zzMaja

I used to wear this in grade school and high school. Yes, we did and it was potent. I was only 9 yrs. old at the time and actually quite the tom boy, but I loved this perfume. It made me feel girly and sexy. My grandmother loved it, but my mother hated it. Maybe because I wore too much of it. I used to buy it for everyone for Christmas because I loved the little crown and it was very inexpensive. Just a small dab was all you needed. Would love to wear it again just to bring back the memories.

Ballenger
Ballenger

Wind Song had been my signature fragrance since the 1970s. Sure, I've tried other trendy colognes, but they do nothing for me. I have been asked by co-workers, friends, strangers, men and women, what fragrance it is that I am wearing. A former co-worker asked me to walk past her desk each day so she could smell my lovely cologne. That never happened when I splurged and bought D and G Light Blue. Only my Wind Song makes people stop, ask, and compliment. This wonderful fragrance lasts all day on me. I hope PM never ceases production.

greeneyedsoul
greeneyedsoul

Scent reminds me of my one and only mema who passed away this November. She used the bath powder religiously. I switched it up our last Christmas together and got her Beautiful by Estee Lauder bath powder instead....

Daisycat18
Daisycat18

Ive gone on a 1970s jag with perfumes as i believe they are better smelling than modern efforts. Or perhaps i should say 1870s and before . Most modern fragrances either smell like a fruit salad or a bowl of sugar. Don't get me wrong, my trade in in fragrances and i love fruit and sugar but not as a scent. So im going through my memories trying to drag up all those we used to wear and i loved. This is one of them. The wind song ad was a real grabber in itself but the scent is clean, soft and pleasant. No strong stunner but it doesn't upset the boat either. We have all smelled a wrong scent on someone and whispered "poo!" Under our breath, but not with this scent. Its great for those if us who live in hot climates as its easy for a quick spritz and great after a shower. It can be a bit soapy when first sprayed, but settles within 5 minutes and is pleasant.

PurpleMyst
PurpleMyst

When I first smelled this I was a little put off by it. It seemed a little "tangy" and sharp to me. I was in my early teens at the time, now I'm a little older and I find I actually like it. Perhaps a little chemistry change? Any way, it's a nice smell that doesn't seem to draw too much attention and members of the family who suffer allergies aren't bothered by it.

campfilo
campfilo

Yes, formula has changed, smells like old fashioned hairspray, makes me sneeze. Mostly carnations.

Laure_lei
Laure_lei

I hate this scent with a passion. Gives me a headache and makes me instantly car-sick, even when I'm not in a car. One whiff, and it's stuck in your nose forever. Ugh!!!

Beth1218
Beth1218

I love Wind Song. It's very feminine and floral. I buy vintage bottles of it off Ebay. Most are wonderful (the ones with the swan on the bottle seem best). But, sometimes I get a stale batch. I don't buy brand new as I believe the reformulation doesn't do any justice to the original.

SorceressOfTheDark
SorceressOfTheDark

Wind Song begins with a blast of citrus notes that rather quickly fades into soapiness for a few hours. If you stick around say five hours or so, the delightful cloves and spices kick in. And then the magic begins. Prince Matchabelli's fragrances stick it out for the long haul and always have, surprising you each and every turn of the way.
It's like taking a road trip on a winding, curving highway along a mountain. You're driving to the top and it's exciting because you know when you get there the view is fabulous. In the meantime, the road twists and turns and it careens in different directions. You have no idea where this fragrance is going, but you know at the end there is a treasure. The end is worth the while.
This is a perfume that lingers from when it was made-the early 1950's. Perhaps it has chosen to stay there when we see images of perfumes and the women that might represent them. I think of Ethel of "I Love Lucy" who might have chosen this perfume because Fred would have bought it for her. And she would have worn it simply because she owned it and it smelled good to her for that era.
But for those of us who sit and compare perfume after perfume, dissect them, yes, this is quite vintage and different.
Although its notes are many, they mix to create a familiar scent immediately that seems to put off many. You can call it powder, or a fancy soap wrapped in a soap dish, and it seems to have that effect on many. It's called soapiness, and it's found in many vintage fragrances. And for women of that era, women that could not afford expensive perfumes, women who lived the American Dream who shopped Main Street department stores and drugstores, Wind Song was theirs. They knew it had potential. They knew the desirability of Prince Matchabelli perfumes. And if you wait for the dry down, you'll see it too. You'll find the cloves and spices mesmerizing their way in hours later.
Prince Matchabelli perfumes are magical in their own way. They never cease to amaze me. You just have to give them time to develop and mature on your skin to appreciate their capacity.

I think Wind Song gets an unfair bad rap. It is very similar to the vintage L’Air du Temps, but I like Wind Song so much better. Wind Song is a rather loud vintage smelling floral, very prominent carnation, and very spicy. This is the way I wish L’Air du Temps smelled on me, but L’Air du Temps has been reduced to a dusty carnation soliflore on my skin in its current formulation, while Wind Song doesn’t seem to have changed that much. Carnation is not that popular these days, so you do have to like carnations to like this. Carnation is not my favorite flower, but I do rather like it, and there are loads of other notes and spices here to keep things interesting.

mariasara
mariasara

I have no memories or associations regarding this perfume. It was an offer of a dear american friend and I love it! It´s a pure, clean, soapy perfume with a strong smell of carnation and a wonderful drydown. I would say it´s comparable to láir du temps, but without the incense. A wonderful treat, but you have to like this kind of fragrance (and carnation).

adair58
adair58

I wore this in the late 1970's, as I often received it as a gift. It was an okay floral to me, as I really am not fond of carnation and carnation dominates this perfume. Tested it again recently and it seems to have morphed into a bitter mess of carnations and maybe geranium and anything else that is stinging-all in one bottle. At the drydown it goes abruptly to baby powder on me. I know memory can play tricks on us, but I don't remember it being this bad. Can not recommend the newer version, sorry.

Lornaluv
Lornaluv

This was my mother's signature scent and true to the song her Windsong stays on my mind.

To this day when I smell this I think of her. With spicy carnation and lovely florals, so clean and fresh, this fragrance speaks of a different time and elegance.

My mother was a mature mom with my siblings being much older than me. I can just see her when she was young falling in love with this beautiful fragrance done by one of her favorite perfume makers.

The funny thing is even though I would not have thought of this as something that I would consider for myself simply because it was something I identified as "Mom's" a lot of people find it similar to L'Air du Temps which I love for myself - now I see - no wonder she had told me to give the L'Air du Temps my brother had gotten me for a gift a try (I had wanted Giorgio Beverly Hills)all those years ago.

I suspect that she had loved both fragrances, but the Windsong was more available to her, and was so wonderful and charming on her that it became her own.

naomin
naomin

This...is a perfume that I have received as a gift many times. I can never give this one away fast enough. Absolutely grotesque smelling on me. Nauseating, headache-inducing, can't get it out of my nose all day sort of smell. Not at all for me. Can't stand the smell of it enough to even comment on the notes.

Pooja37
Pooja37

An old loved fragrance that takes me back in time. Loved it then and love it now. I added it to my collection as a fellow fragrantican suggested it.

The moment I spritzed it on, the memories just came flooding back. I remember this scent. I think one of my closest friends wore this and I would also spray some of her perfume whenever we went out together.

Dreamy creamy floral. Powdery and even soapy. Smells like high quality hotel soap to me, in a nice way. Perfect for casual wear and for any age group. I'm so happy that it's a part of my collection now.

magickmaven
magickmaven

This really did not last long on me at all. About an hour after some pretty liberal spraying I could hardly smell it on my wrist. So this will probably be a spritzer for scarves cardigans and even bed linens because I actually like the scent of this.

Comes out strong and the lemon and other citruses give it's top notes a soapy sort of blast tempered by the coriander. For me, the carnation came through really quick and I could smell the other florals and base note spices too. It does have a summer day kind of scent. Considering that it's supposed to be long lasting, etc. I'm surprised by my own experience with it. Maybe I'll buy the powder and layer it.

This is a classic scent from the mid-twentieth century, when sophistcated fragrance compositions were made available in all socio-economic brackets and before the idea of feminity was matched with the idea of being edible.

Reeks of carnation, which I hate. And coriander, which I hate only slightly less. Really quite horrendous. Bitter, soapy and with a note of extinguished clove cigarettes in an ashtray that got rained on, dried out in the sun and then got rained on again.
YOU NASTY.

leeleeB
leeleeB

My mother used this along with Chantilly. My mom passed in 1985 when I was 14, I found the body spray long ago and I cherish that bottle with all my heart. I spray it every now and again to remember. Doesn't smell horrible, I like it.

pbluberry
pbluberry

I have the vintage colgne spray. It's strong, kind of a spicey and woodsy smell. I'm not sure why I get some black pepper in it or cinnamon, maybe it's the corriander. It has a raw smell to me like most fragrances that has orris root. For some reason I don't detect any citrus at all in this, wish I could.. I would probably like it a bit more, it needed the added freshness.

Milladane
Milladane

This is floral, sweet, and soapy, with cloves and spices. Smells very 70s to me, probably because it was so popular then. When I released a spray on my wrist, I knew I've smelled this before. Unfortunately, the thought was, "Oh. This."

Comparing L'air Du Temps to Wind Song, they are indeed the same type of fragrance, but how they differ really makes the difference between a classic elegant perfume and a drug-store quick fix. I think it's the pungent soapy sweetness that screams of cheapness. I happen to love sweet perfumes, but I just think it's not done well here. I actually don't like L'air Du Temps that much either, by the way...I guess I must not like carnation!

It does dry down considerably better, even pretty, as it smooths out into a feminine powdery clove scent. This transformation was surprisingly nice to me, but I just can't get past that horrid beginning. Even though the top notes passes by fairly quickly, the memory of it sticks around much longer. Maybe it's not just a memory, but actual traces of the soapy beginning still hanging in the background.

This is how I see it: let's say there is a fantastic house for sale for a very low price. But to reach that house, one must go through a muddy road with slithering snakes. That's a deal breaker. I would rather pay a ton of money for an even more fabulous house with a charming road leading to it. Well, I did enjoy the visit to the Wind Song house, but I'll be living somewhere else...

lemonfreshjoy

Clean. Fresh. I smell like I've just showered. As I sniff my wrist, I catch a hint of the carnations. I didn't care much for this fragrance when I was younger, but I enjoy it now.

jennifer60656
jennifer60656

I remember Wind Song from when I was a kid and thought it was rather nasty smelling because, like many older perfumes the top notes were strange. L'air du Temps has that same almost "bug-spray" top note as well.

Since I am grown-up now and can wait out rather unforgiving top notes (see Chantilly) I decided to give this one a try again. As I remember there was that top note "thing" going on still. As it evaporates though, it becomes beautiful. Not sweet or over-flowery but VERY elegant and womanly.

One evening I was changing my clothes (after working outside in the heat, no less) and caught a whiff. I said "Damn, I smell GOOD." It was the loveliest powdery carnation/woody scent I ever smelled. This is for the cheap canister that sells for like $3.00.

I've noticed from reading many reviews and smelling for myself that many newer fragrances work in reverse. The top notes smell great but after 5 or 10 minutes or so the scent either disappears or goes "weird" and falls apart. I'll put up with a few minutes of "Yikes" if it means hours of gorgeous.

drugstore classics

I place this in the approximate scent category as White Linen, but without the overbearing aldehydes. If you cannot wear White Linen, you might give this a try. It has the same kind of fresh - air - laundry result on the right skin type.

P.S. In hot climates, you can hardly beat this for it's refreshing quality. We've even taken to spraying sheets and fabric with the body spray for a cooling and clean sensation!

drugstore classics

I so wanted to like this old favorite, possibly because of the beautiful box and the still - available body powder. On my skin, this is more or less like one of those spring scented Lysols - rather harsh.

Now I am laughing, because my sister just tried this no-no; it was fresh, bright, and even lightly sweet and powdery on her! She has worn little else this summer ever since, a very nice choice for hot weather... Now she owns the cologne, bath powder, and body spray - and wouldn't part with any of them!

The body spray in particular is ideal for spraying out musty rooms,cloth and closets, and I myself love it for this purpose. I'm suddenly very glad she tried Wind Song. In spite of my negative experience, it's utterly exciting on her - not even slightly dated.

I hope this review spurs somebody else on to overcome a fragrance assumption and enjoy a new scent experience soon!

perhapspersephone
perhapspersephone

I remember this perfume. I never liked it. I bought the body spray just to see if my taste had changed. Thank God it only cost me a dollar.

Honestly I don't smell flowers. I smell something harsh and abrasive , lightly soapy and powdery.
The body mist does last forever though. I feel like Lady McBeth trying to was it off. It won't budge!

Yuck.

lisalgreer
lisalgreer

I can smell the coriander, sandalwood, and other calming scents. Very nice! I picked up the cheap body spray, and it seems to have decent lasting powder--as strong as some of my perfumes, in fact. I think this is a great, fresh scent. Inoffensive and pleasant. Glad I tried it.

heatherine
heatherine

My son swears this smells like an old lady's shawl, although he admits it's not a bad smell. "Just not what I would hope my Mom smells like...at least not for another 20 years or so." However, I do like Wind Song, I've always liked it. I haven't worn it since high school but picked up a "deodorant body spray" can of it while at the drugstore a few weeks ago in a moment of retro weakness. I used it to lightly spritz my linens and it's really lovely to snuggle in to the faint scent of it in my sheets. I wouldn't wear it as I no longer care for powdery perfumes on my skin. And is it powdery!

millie32
millie32

One of the very first scents I wore when I was a teenager.My Aunt used to where Wing song and my mother just loved the light floral scent with just a touch of clean green forest .Also the commercials they had back in the 70s .(What was that saying?) Oh,yes, Her wind song stays in my mind.I used to receive Wind song as a gift every year as a Christmas gift or as a birthday present.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

I've never knowingly smelled L'Air du Temps (these old feminines aren't really my focus), but I do like Wind Song. It certainly smells like it's from 1953. The massive bergamot/carnation/orange balm/coriander on top is an incredible intro, loaded with pungency and unfortunately a little too much alcohol. Inexpensive drugstore frags sometimes smell nice in the opening and crappy in the drydown, but Wind Song suffers crudeness on top and becomes better as it dries. The heart is full of spice, loads of clove and tarragon, and the base is rich with amber and benzoin resins. The far drydown is a nice clean sandalwood, very smooth and dry. These '50s-era florientals often make me think of how women might have smelled in 18th century Europe. I don't know why. But it's good to know they still make Wind Song, and it hasn't been reformulated into some bland chemical spill. Thumbs up.

ecofreak2001
ecofreak2001

With green, flowery & powdery notes, this frag is so cute & feminine! Like it for casual ware.

dmaw
dmaw

This was my signature scent when I was 16 in the late 70's. A good friend even became a copycat. Fast forward a few years, there was a candle available. I still have it and am tryihg to make it last. Although, I no longer wear Wind Song, the scent still brings back teenage memories.

Peking
Peking

I just bought this today on a whim! I have tons of super nice perfumes and do not wear them often enough because everyone I know has allergies... So while on an errand I saw it and was charmed by the art work on the box and it took me back to childhood. As soon as I sprayed some on I loved something in the undertones and couldn't quite place it but I thought of Christmas and snacks. Once I looked it up I noticed orange and cloves, that's it.
I believe my mother's best friend wore this as her everyday scent.
I really like it :)

ALaM
ALaM

My grandmother wore this but I don't consider it an "old lady" scent at all. It's quite timeless and classic, has a summery feel but can wear well in all seasons. It's an all-arounder if you ask me - all ages, all seasons, all occasions. You can't go wrong with this one. I've been wanting to smell LADT to compare to this but I do know this is certainly more affordable. I like the carnation and coriander in this as well as the cedar and sandalwood laced through every whiff. It is indeed a little soapy at first, but it doesn't last long. One day I'll order the vintage/original. One of my favourite fragrances.

LuvsWhtDiamonds
LuvsWhtDiamonds

I wore this one as a teenager and loved it. Haven't wore it since then.

hlhenderson
hlhenderson

I remember this. Pew. Dense, "I can almost taste it" kind of odor, that would otherwise smell wholesome and classic if not for the obnoxiousness of its tangy medicinal first impression.

Midwestgirl
Midwestgirl

I wore Wind Song briefly back in the 1970's when it was very popular. Its a very sweet; floral cologne that has tremendous lasting power. I too love those old commercials, "I can't seem to forget you, your Wind Song stays on my mind". A truly great commercial that I'll always remember with such fondness. I tried it recently after smelling it on a co-worker. Ummmm...just not me at all...better on someone else. I returned it; felt bad but had to. The memory of Wind Song is very sweet, but unfortunately so was the cologne...a bit too sweet for me. But nice to know a classic scent is still out there for those that still love it and can wear it...

lemonfreshjoy

I haven't worn this but I love it on other people. It smells fresh and nostalgic to me. I loved the commercials when I was a little girl. So romantic.

CalicoSilk
CalicoSilk

This is my favorite cheap fragrance. Gives me a, clean soap feel, boost in the hot Texas summers days. It makes people around me smile.

francisrose
francisrose

Windsong is a lovely powdery floral that is heavy on the carnation which is a plus for me. It reminds me of a fresh corsage or bouquet of cut flowers. It is very much like L'air du Temps albeit a little crisper. I wore this fragrance for many years and stil pull it out in summer when
i want something light and fresh to wear. This fragrance is beautiful and well worth the effort. Love it.

scarlettcroix
scarlettcroix

Not a review but for those of you who are looking for un-altered classics, try The Vermont Country Store. I have found it to be a treasure trove for memeories...

BearysHoney
BearysHoney

my mom's signature scent - just seems too chemically based and heavy on the flowers for me. This was my introduction into perfumes, luckily I found that everyone's got to find their own scent and this one was not for me but it does remind me of my mom whenever I see it because people always give her the gift packs as presents lol

strong floral with muted spices. long lasting, but always a headache inducer for me. not a favorite of mine from back in the day.
wasn't their slogan:
i can't seem to forget you, your windsong stays on my mind.
i liked that.

ccj36
ccj36

I used Wind Song when I was in junior high. I liked it because it was clean, pretty, and for me, unique. (most of my friends were wearing either Love's Baby Soft or Lauren by RL at that time)

I have a recently purchased bottle, plus a can of the body spray (light green with the pretty bird design that is also found on the box), and I think the body spray smells more like the version I remember using.

I can't distinguish any particular notes, but it is floral, clean, and ladylike. I still think it is a comfortable fragrance to wear---not overpowering, just pretty. Perfect for casual use.

krmarich
krmarich

This is for a vintage crown bottle splash. It was one of the most graceful perfumes ever created. All of the notes were put together effortlessly and a few drops would last all day.

Alas like all good things, a dreadful reformulation has shattered an American classic. The current rubbish is fine for wardrobe spray or the WC....

SandraV
SandraV

I had never smelled this but have been on a kick lately of trying perfumes from the past that I had always ignored before(for what ever reason).It does smell very similar to L'Air du Temps(which I have)but this doesn't have the strong carnation note I get from LADT-I actually can't wear LADT because it smells like pure clove on me.This is a nice 'just for me' scent that I will probably reach for a bit more in cooler weather.Too bad the bottle isn't as pretty as the box;)

rye
rye

I saw this the other day on sale, remembered the reviews here, and the lovely box drew me in. What the heck.

From the bottle and for the first few minutes it smells like old fashioned perfume with a capital P. No one note or notes jumps out, just that "she's wearing Perfume!" vibe. Then it settled onto my skin in a strangely medicinal way.

I'm guessing that this formulation is probably nothing like the original from your reviews. This one has cheap ingredients and smells like a mess. Why do they bother? I should have kept the box and thrown away the bottle.

athenian
athenian

The vintage Wind Song perfume is almost identical to "L'Air du Temps". It smells more like "L'Air du Temps" than the new reformulated version of the Nina Ricci classic.

Cassandra Snow
Cassandra Snow

Just bought a new bottle and a vintage bottle. There is no comparison. The new one has a very sharp soapy scent at first, then it faded a bit to a fairly nice scent, but within one hour it had totally disappeared on me. The vintage bottle has a far more beautiful fragrance, as one reviewer wrote it is very much like L'Air Du Temps but sweeter. It also has staying power. I will not waste my money on the new one again, but will continue to buy the vintage version when I need it

krissycat
krissycat

I do not like this perfume very much but my mom really likes it. Infact the minute I said it was a Prince Matchabelli her eyes lit up. Based on the good reviews I wanted to give it a shot, but I found it too strong for my tastes. I smell too much alchohol and I'm just overwhelmed but I can see where there can be an appeal. It is different.. and I do see a similarity to L'Air du Temps, another one I don't like so much, but my mother loves it. It goes to show you how everyone has their own tastes. I very much like from Prince Matchabelli a scent I no longer see being sold called UNRULY. That scent is way more interesting to me and smells amazingly good.. I also like New Musk. As for this little baby I traded with my mom today for Poeme by Lancome which I love so much more.

Ms. Holmar
Ms. Holmar

The smell is dated to me because it was worn by my mother. I do like it however, just wouldn't wear it.

Fonna
Fonna

I got this on my 15th birthday, and when I smelled it, I was hooked.
Years later I discovered L'Air du Temps, and that became my signature perfume for a while. And I absolutely loved it. But I never made the connection of how close in fragrance it was to WS.
Then there on the shelf, there it was Wind Song Body Spray. I hadn't worn this fragrance in years.
I sprayed it on,
I was 15 again, and all my younger days came racing back to memory.
Needless to say Wind Song has something a little extra in it for me when I wear it.

Kiku
Kiku

L'Air du Temps little sister. As so many others have said, they are smell alikes. Wind Song is also dominated by carnation and cedar. But WS is less complex, the notes come out all at once, not little by little like LADT. WS is not as light and airy and it is sweeter. The floral notes are more pronounced. The price makes Wind Song much more affordable for everyday. Buy it for the box if nothing else, it has the most beautiful box ever.

romrom
romrom

I bought the small body spray 10 years ago for like 99 cent. The scent was great, very soft and powdery.
yuumy

gazelle
gazelle

Wore it at my wedding 45 years ago. It was the "something borrowed," a cousin loaned me. I tend to only wear it in spring, it seems, and the flowers bring back pleasant memories. The perfume was glorious compared to cologne I have today.

larali
larali

I smelled it once when I was younger, and loved it. Then I got a sample and HATED IT beyond belief. Years went by, and I just recently sniffed it again, and it made a neutral impression. So strange.

guest_Sandy
guest_Sandy

I first got this perfume when I worked for my aunt as a teen in a dress shop. Have always loved it and my husband and children say it smells 'like me'. I can no longer find the bath powder and really miss it. I, too, have noticed a different smell in the cologne...why do companies feel they need to change things when the old is so great? I still wear it today and will continue to, but long for the older version.

happybunny10

well hear is my second post on wind song. i used the body spray after my shower a couple nights ago. so im hoping that the perfume smells better. when i first sprayed it on my arm it had a smell like ashes and flowers or baby powder kinda like an old woman who smokes and wears powder lol. dont get me wrong after a lil while the smell got better on me. but im sure ill be buying the perfume.

happybunny10

i just bought the body spray today. im going to use it after my shower tonight and see what my bf says. i remember this perfume as a kid growing up in the 80's. i cant remember how i got a hold of a bottle, if it was my mom's or maybe i got a gift set for Christmas.
i remember it smelling clean. lol i prob ask Santa for it because i liked the song. YOUR WINDSONG STAYS ON MY MIND. i think thats how it goes. aren't they in restaurant and she passes a note sprayed with windsong to this guy?

Cubby
Cubby

I grew up with Wind Song as a child - on my mother, my grandmother, and then myself. It seems for a time it was unrecognizable. I wrote Parfums de Coeur, and they said that it was reformulated back to its original version in recent years with ingredients that were available to them. They have great customer service. Anyway, I think Wind Song smells very close to the original.

This smells the same to me, but I haven't smelled the original in over 20 years, so I'm sure it's changed. It smells very old style on my skin, aldehydic and of soapy carnations. There's a hint of the spices and the faintest touch of body musk. It smells of elegant evening's out in the far past, when cars didn't come with seat belts and computers were something only NASA had. It won't be one I can ever wear for myself, but it is very elegant and dressed up for the lady who can wear it.

guest_bbm
guest_bbm

I have worn Wind Song since the 60's and have always gotten compliments. Within the past 5-10 years the fragrance has changed somewhat and it's very disappointing. I have to check each bottle I purchase to make sure it still smells like the Wind Song I love.

Sissi
Sissi

with lush green and innocent rose
make this a melancholic splendor.
gentile winds blow on a august evening
when the sky is at dusk and you picture
silhouette of a sparrow chirping it's
haunting melody before they rest for the night. and a feeling that you cant
explain so you'll walk far distances
with a heavy heart. come to a grassy
hill climbing at the top lying on the
sweet grass raising your head up to look at the twilight sky when the sunset is fading eyes started to fill up with tears thinking about life
thinking about where people go when they pass or where is heaven or what is the meaning of life. and then a gentile sound of a Erhu a chinese violin playing a haunting tune and you fall asleep into the summer night.

it reminds me when i wear this.

Chris v.V.
Chris v.V.

I had owned Wind Song in the 70s, and was feeling incredibly nostalgic for the scent for a long time. Finally purchased a bottle yesterday. I don't regret it. I lifted the cap off the bottle, smelled it, and the 60s/70s came flooding back. I don't doubt the original has been altered, but -- unlike many fragrances from my past -- my nose can't detect any particular change.

It's a powdery floral. My husband said it reminds him of the inside of a purse, and of L'Air du Temps (just as previous member noted, which I also wear). It reminds me of the scent someone might leave behind on their scarves. Readers might feel its scent and description make it too old lady-ish, but it still makes me smile.

Use a light hand: its strength is surprising.

Try the Wind Song Body Spray; comes in a can. Its cheaper and I always get compliments.

Ivy
Ivy

I wish I could remember this smell! Growing up my mother always had a bottle of this on her dresser. It was our stand-by Christmas gift to her. She actually received so many bottles of this, she had to give some away. One year she told me, "Please no more WindSong!"

HOPE007
HOPE007

I also noticed it seemed changed and didn't last like it used to... So what I did, was purchase a fabulous dupe of it from an oil seller I know of who has extremely good quality oils. I didn't want to have to go that route - but really what am I left with? If they would leave it alone and charge 3 times as much I would not mind. It was such a gorgeous scent... I do notice a resemblance to L'air du temps also.. they are both fabulous..

I have just remembered that windsong is what my grandmother wore andI remember really liking the bottle, am I correct that it used to be a clear glass crown?? Does anybody out there have one ?? beth in georgia

nyoka
nyoka

cheap,yes.butt it smells wonderful.its one of those that i spray on my pillowcases and sheets.the body powder is the best and lasts the longest.i put it on my grandbaby and,he goes arround smelling his shirt all day.my husband loves it too.and,it lasts a long time too

i used to love this perfume, but now they have changed the recipe and it evaporates and no longer lingers like it used to so i quit wearing it...... if they could make it like it held up in the 80's,90's and even 2001-2002 i would wear it all the time

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

I love this stuff so much! I love the crisp green notes of this perfume. My grandmother wore this too! I still have an original perfume bottle from the early 40's that she gave me and I cherish. Its a timeless beauty that everyone should experience at least once in their lifetime to truly understand what it takes for a perfume to survive for so long on the market!

Sugar419
Sugar419

Overwhelmingly floral--but I like it anyway. Reminds me of being 16.

soulflwr
soulflwr

I guess the one I purchased (un-sniffed) was the new formulation. Because at first it smelled like baby powder, and I mean it has a VERY STRONG baby powder smell. Like someone skipped a couple of showers and tried to cover it up with Johnson's and Degree.

THEN after it drys...

It smells like Barbeque sauce.

cattywitch
cattywitch

my mother wore this fragrance when I was a young girl. Not only did I think she was beautiful, but she smelled beautiful. Yes Windsong stays on your mind!

lillian
lillian

Will someone say if they have found the unaltered version? I have not had it for a while but wish to use it again and would rather not be unpleasantly surprised.

guest_Atomic Woman
guest_Atomic Woman

I must say I am very sad to know that Wind Song has been altered.. I thought I had purchased a "bad" bottle. I checked around and found out..they no longer make the ORIGINAL Scent, which I loved.. I wish I knew of another scent that is light and floral.. I truly HATE this new version.. So beware, and test the cologne the next time you want to buy..Wind Song.. Why do they mess with perfection?? Do the research and you will find they changed the scent..and NOT for the better..

Chatnoir
Chatnoir

This smells almost exactly like
"L'Air du Temps" to me, and judging by its release date (1953), the similar names, and the bird motif on the packaging, I'm going to guess that this was meant to be a cheaper clone of LADT. The main difference between the two scents to my nose is "Wind Song" is sweeter and smells faintly orange-blossomy while LADT is a little sharper and more floral. Overall, this is a nice scent, and I have one of the cute crown bottles (not the cool colored one like the picture, but a clear one). Since I got this for a literal "song" compared to my LADT, I'll use it as an eeryday alternative to LADT, and save my LADT for special occasions.

I used to love Wind Song as a child. As the previous reviewer said, it's clean smelling, but I find at the same time it's very complicated and layered. It manages to be suitable for day wear and still translate into night. The only downside is that it was so prevalent when I was growing up that it smells a bit dated to my nose. Still, lovely and feminine.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Prince Matchabelli Wind Song fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Prince Matchabelli Wind Song, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Wind Song by Prince Matchabelli. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Wind Song by Prince Matchabelli represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.