Designers » N-Q » « Groups

Olibanum Profumum Roma for women and men

Olibanum Profumum Roma for women and men
dislike

smoky

Olibanum by Profumum Roma is a fragrance for women and men. Olibanum was launched in 2007. The fragrance features orange blossom, sandalwood, incense and myrrh.

Orange Blossom Sandalwood Incense Myrrh

Cristal de Roche (Rock Crystal)

Olibanum Fragrance Reviews

shushkin
shushkin

On me this is quite a simplistic fragrance. One huge wallop of myrhh at the start with the incense and sandalwood coming up close behind. Now, where the neroli is in this is a mystery for me. Neroli is not really a lightweight note but olibanum and incense are heaviy basenotes and I think its been drowned out.
I think its the sandalwood note in the mix that is making this a particular love for me. I think its very unisex but then Im biased. My main loves are the balsamic and woody fragrances. Phenomanel longevity and big sillage. Somehow with woody and balsamic fragrances a big sillage is not quite as disturbing for others if perchance you are trapped in a full lift lol

psychdoc
psychdoc

Great fragrance with prominent notes of myrrh, incense, resin, and sandalwood. Not sure about the orange blossom note mentioned by others, I don't detect it, though I'm not sure what orange blossom smells like in general. Agree with the previous reviewer that this is a greenish/fresh incense scent, much different than other generic incense scented fragrances. Strong longevity and sillage. Seems more masculine than feminine. My only complaint is that the fragrance comes in a regular perfume bottle without a sprayer (dab-on only), though the brand does include a small roll-on bottle and funnel for filling.

banorgue
banorgue

Fantastic fragrance, the shopkeeper told to me that it has a "green incense" note what is different from the other incenses that is used and that is why it has a kind of green, pine-fresh feeling, and not so much that dark churchy incense as others have. It is a meditative, deep, green forest kind of feeling for me.

xabaras
xabaras

I just got a sample of this fragrance and tried it on my wrist. It is certainly different and unusual. Dark even. I can see why people define it "mysterious".
The opening is very smoky. Dark and bitter. It only lasts 5 minutes, then it develops into a mellower woodiness. Almost sweet. Definitely too much. I like it, but I don't know if I would ever find an occasion to wear Olibanum.
A few of the reviews here talk about some "green" notes: I disagree. Everything in this fragrance is dry, brown and burnt. The comparison with "Encre Noire" by Lalique fits, in the sense that also with this fragrance you have the impression you smell like a freshly sharpened pencil, but while in Encre Noire you feel embraced floating in a bubble of mysterious coziness, with Olibanum you feel rejected by the invisible aura of unmentionable secrets.

lilalina
lilalina

Very smoky, I like it.. It reminds me of "Untitled" by Maison Martin Margiela..

Malthus101
Malthus101

I've tried this twice on myself now - first time was a cold day and it was one I kept sniffing on my wrist. I like it because it lasts, unlike say Victrix which quickly dissolved into my skin despite its very nice smell.

It's an unusal scent - these insense smells might be hit and miss with some people, they are more challenging than a typical "nice" smell. But I was after something a bit more edgy, darker, something that says, "keep your distance" whilst at the same time is intoxicating and draws people in. A dark Siren!

I think that Olibanum is the one. I've tried the Armani/Prive "Bois d`Encens" which is Armani's take on cool, dark catherdrals which is what I believe PR are trying to do with Olibanum. Although the Armani was quite interesting, this Olibanum just punches above its weight.

Because it's odd (and expensive), I had to try it on my skin a second time. This time however was a muggy hot day.

On the cold day I was thinking to myself that this could be worn in warmer months. I had noticed a menthol vibe to it as it dried down, not a note anyone else has mentioned. I do not get the citrus although when I presented my wrist to a co-worker, the first thing he said was, "citrus". 'Go figure', as the Americans say!

Now... on the hot day, I was in a relatively packed tube train right after spraying on my neck and both wrists. I was wafting the stuff! I noticed mnay heads on the train do that head-lifting thing and sniff the air and look around - this stuff carries on the air for sure. But it was hard to tell what they were thinking... it's more the myterious aspect that I think was grabbing their attention.

I myself was hot and could feel sweat building on my skin and I felt this was not working this time with Olibanum. I thought, "ah, this is why people say this is a winter scent". The sweat seemed in my mind to be turning it into a polluted oil-slick type of affair. It seeemed to reduce its potency on sniffing it.

However, back at work, after my "citrus" male co-worker, I let the hot Polish girl I'd been flirting with all morning sniff it. (I directed her to sniff my neck not my wrists ;) - she burried her head in it and sighed, "Oh my God.. that's not fair... " Is it nice? I aksed her. "YES! she exclaimed. "It smells like sex!"

That's the kind of response I like to hear ;)

She is currently single and muttered something about how "that would keep her going until..."

Anyway - later that same day I went to see another girl who I'm actually dating. During our "embrace" I noticed her sniffing deeply into my neck. Again, like the people on the train, more of an inquisitiveness than outright, "OMG what is that I have to have some!!!"

Afterwards I asked her if she liked it. She said it was "OK" but she preferred what I wore last time. (I believe a mixture of Byredo's Oud Immortel and Gucci Pour Homme 1)

So, there you have it, strange, mixed reactions from "I like it, it's OK" to "it smells like sex" and sending a girl crazy in her mind.

I think that's what this perfume is suppsoed to do - baffle, confuse, intrigue, excite, deter.. all at once.

Best on cold rainy days I think. But if you want that sweaty, post-coital messy-hair effect, wear it on hot days too... ;P

the_badger
the_badger

Very strong stuff, I get more myrrh than olibanum, a salty smoky raw myrrh. Very interesting smell I have never used something like this although I can't say I like it. It's more like an ambient scent than perfume.

janjanjan
janjanjan

A great off-beat incense that eschews the common focus on frankincense (often appearing these days "unburned," slightly soapy with sometimes lemony accents). This fella, however, is different!

The green, bitter, and antiseptic opening is bracing, but also music to my nose. Love it or hate it, though, it's gone in 60 seconds. Then we settle into a dirt incense with a slight cumin/oud sweat and an earthy vibe I think is best described as "boiled peanut." An hour and a half later it's vetiver and a little chemical fuzz.

Fantasic.

smora
smora

Great scent, but not perfume. Realistic smell of resins, pine wood, cedar with a little bit of burning incense.
Very dry, semi-dense, rustic, rough and intimate.
The smell of a place with no materialistic civilization rules. The smell of the fireside inside the wooden mountain house in deep dark forest. The smell of the personal catharsis ongoing. The smell of problem solving. The smell of broken dreams and new ideas.

Scentrack: Fleetwood Mac - Dreams

Rating: catharsic ****

Wow!!! I'm happy.
So reading the review below as I post this and I got a bit of a green note in the opening too but generally this is thick with resinous spicy Myrrh and sandalwood.
It's exactly what I'd pictured in my minds eye/nose so in that sense linear and predictable to a degree.
I for one am glad, too often I look forward to a fragrance simply named after a note and it doesn't deliver that note as expected.
Great dry down, superb quality only negative thing is that it's pricey stuff for something that isn't a complex composition.
Only minor criticism really because I love Olibanum and any other incense resin lovers will love it too.

Kain
Kain

A cold breeze coming from the deepest parts of an old ancient forest. the place where everlasting dragons live!
This fragrance is all about resinous,oily and dirty myrrh, bitter herbal and slightly smoky incense and some bright woods always in the background.
The opening is a bitter resinous smell with slightly fresh citrusy smell that create a gentle cold breeze among all these darker notes.
I can smell myrrh with it's dirty, oily and resinous aroma while some bitter smoky incense and whispers of the woods following him just a few steps back.
The semi fresh and kind of citrusy feeling last for only 5-10 minutes and then it's gone!
In the mid the resinous myrrh settles down just a bit and incense become stronger and a little smokier.
The soft woody smell still is in the background and I can feel slightly sweet smell beside other notes.
Almost no changes to the end. only the scent gets smoother.
This fragrance for me is richer and bolder version of "CDG Zagorsk". so if you like that you will definitely like this one.
Projection is average and after around 2 hours is completely close to the skin. longevity is very variable!
I've got from 6 hours to 15 hours with different testings!
Why it's like that? I don't know!

بوی این عطر مثل یه نسیم خنکی میمونه که از میون درخت های یه جنگل تاریک و قدیمی و عمیق با درختهای سربه فلک کشیده، جایی که اژدهاهای جاویدان و ابدی زندگی میکنن به مشام آدم میخوره
رایحه ابتدایی این عطر با بوی صمغ مر، رایحه تلخ و گیاهی و کمی دودی بخور و رایحه ملایمی از چوبهاشروع میشه
کمی رایحه مرکبات بصورت خیلی ضعیف هم قابل حس کردنه اما فقط یه ته بوی ضعیف نیمه شاداب اونم برای دقایق محدودی به عطر میده و خیلی سریع محو میشه
در ابتدا رایحه صمغ مر یه بوی تلخ و کمی روغنی و صمغی و کثیف به عطر میده در حالی که مقدار مشخص ولی ملایمی از رایحه تلخ بخور و مقدار ناچیزی رایحه چوبها همراهیش میکنن
تلخ، صمغی، کمی روغنی و کمی دودی ولی کاملا خنک و آرامش بخش
با گذر زمان بوش خیلی فرق نمیکنه. فقط صمغ مر کمی ضعیفتر میشه و بخور کمی قویتر که باعث میشه بوی عطر کمی حس صمغی شو از دست بده و در عوض کمی گیاهی تر و دودی تر بشه
یه بوی خیلی ضعیف شیرین هم میشه در کنار اینا حس کرد اما بی نهایت ملایمه و اصلا جوری نیست که بوی عطرُ گرم یا مشخص شیرین کنه
بوش به همین صورت میمونه تا آخر و تغییری نمیکنه
پخش بوی متوسطی داره که بعد از حدود 1-2 ساعت بسیار ضعیف میشه بطوری که خودتون بصورت ملایم حسش میکنین اما ماندگاری بسیار متغیری داره!! من چندین بار تستش کردم و هر دفه عدد بسیار متفاوتی به دست آوردم. ماندگاری بین 6 تا 15 ساعت روی پوست من متغیر بود!! حالا چرا اینقدر بالا پایین میشه من دلیلشو نمیدونم و جزو معدود عطرهایی هست که هچین ماندگاری بی ثباتی به من میده

Chicago Tony T
Chicago Tony T

Dirty and earthy incense. I get more vetiver and no orange blossom. Very earthy and is more masculine than feminine. It dries down to an Encre Noire type but much more appealing. Incense and vetiver are the key notes that I detect. Very long lasting with great projection.

Marciu
Marciu

I'm testing a lot perfumes with incense recently. Olibanum was the latest one.

It hit my nose with aldehydic-orange intro. I know aldehydes aren't supposed to be here, however I do feel them. And unfortunately, they're cloying to my nose. But luckilly after 1,5 hours they were gone. Orange blossom lasts surprisingly all the way through. Drydown comes quite fast, after 15 minutes and that's when the myrrh-incense combo kicks in. As a whole fragrance, especially after it dries down, it reminds me of Montale Full Incense. They have the same feel of incense, that "woodiness" is simillar too!
It lasts about 10-12 hours on me, sillage is moderate.

I like it, but it's definitely not love from first sniff.

8/10 from me.

nakedcity
nakedcity

Green, bitter and astringent incense opens the show. There's very little development, I think the linear quality suits this scent to a t. I don't think this reminds me of any other incense because the metallic quality of frankincense is not present here, maybe the myrrh is keeping things wearable. Great scent with excellent longevity (24 hrs and counting) and moderate sillage. Profumum is quickly becoming my favorite line.

nonsisa
nonsisa

I like this a lot as its a kind of hypnotizing composition.

Don't know why cardamom is not listed in the notes, as I get a lot of it besides from olibanum and citrus notes.

Pretty captivating stuff!

In love again

After going to the trouble and expense of obtaining a smaple I couldn't just throw it away as soon as I smelt it and deciding it was too strong and austere for me to enjoy. And anyway, it is not as though it was a bad perfume in the techicial sense, as it appears to a very realistic, non-synthetic smelling oilbanum. Just too much of one thing...

I started thinking about how some of the most beautiful floral perfumes have one or two "dirty" sort of notes hidden at their base, which you are not meant to smell directly, but whose precence somehow brings out the true beauty of the flowers even more then if they were just on their own.

So I started by spraying on to my wrist the most beautiful but simple floral perfume I own, which is Le Labo Neroli 36. Then I added the tiniest, and I mean TINIEST bit of Olibanum on top of it. Literally I just rubbed the wet nozzle of the bottle on my wrist to get just the smallest amount of scent on to it. And you know what? Neroli 36 smelt even better after that. I almost can't believe it myself, because I was of the opinion that Neroli 36 could not be improved. Apparently Olibanum also has the smell of citrus in it, which I can't exactly dectect (but the experts can) so perhaps the two make a very good pairing on a subconcious level.

Eos
Eos

Opening: intensely sharp and green petit grain
Heart: cold, citrusy, piney frankincense
Dry down: smokey,astringent and bitter incense

Cold and sharp. I love incense, but this is too austere for me. To my nose it reads as a masculine scent. Not my cup of tea.

meama
meama

34)what a strange mix than this orange blossom with incense. It's green, next it's a little bit citrus and at the end the incens is "soft" like the smell of a hundred melted candle in a chapel.
It's weird and, like with everything with orange blossom, a little bit painfull for my nose.
For a hot and comfortable incense I'm always in love with Jaisalmer (Comme des Garçons).

In love again

Somehow makes me feel a bit sick to my stomach....i am realizing that niche perfumes are mostly not meant to be pretty.

al.to
al.to

Well if Cardinal is air in a church
this one is furniture in a church...and more
cleanest white clothes in a old wood settle.
the ethereal idea of spiritual and material cleanliness suspended in the time... natural and pleasant .

amazing association :incense and orang flower

update:on the skin the begin is horrible after a long time 5-10 minutes you find a marvelous orange blossom hide behind woods and incense...
also try Neroli of the same line
OVERPRICED

Vincents1278
Vincents1278

I have owned frankincense and myrrh essential oils for natural perfumery. To me, though similar in ways, they are distinctly different. This, Olibanum, smells like Myrrh, which is odd, because Olibanum is another name for Frakincense, which I don't smell in this. There is another Profumum scent, Arso, that uses a lot of Frankincense and is smoky and lovely. This smells like Myrrh and is a little medicinal for my taste. It's a bit like Heeley's Cardinal. Not a big fan of this scent but I do like Arso.

magic gingerbread
magic gingerbread

This is realy nice olibanum fragrance without churchy connotation. When I first smelled it I was quite impressed and I found it very simillar to Durbano's masterpiece Rock Crystal. But after direct comparison I starded to think that Olibanum is uglier and much less complex brother of RC.
Simplicity of Olibanum isn't really a bad thing, it's actually quite good, because allows me to smell clearly all the notes - cold and slightly bitter olibanum, spicy and sweet myrrh and characteristicly cold and white smell of orange flowers. These flowers are problem for me, at first I liked them but after that they started to annoy me. They are just too strong for my taste.
The bottom line is that Olibanum is pretty incense perfume with too strong orange flowers note, but loses most of its charm when compared with RC.

AndrzejK
AndrzejK

Extraordinary, realistic, impressive olibanum surrounded by orange blossom and waxed wood. It is just a masterpiece to me. Medieval cathedral inside - dinstinctive, intriguing, peaceful. One of my favourites.

mickers
mickers

Starts out very balmy and resinous at the top. Fierce with smokey incense and wood. In time the resinous quality calms down and the sweet sandalwood shows it's face more. Very well done fragrance...love it! I was told I smelled like a burnt tree :-)

prot72
prot72

Olibanum, olibanum… my lovely fragrance. It inspired me to start lovely journey to the scents world. My first niche fragrance. I was collecting money to buy it for very long time. I remember for how long I was impressed that this is the best fragrance ever made. Heaven in the bottle. Since that time I never found better incense fragrance. I bought African olibanum to compare the smell and it is exact interpretation of it. There is no other fragrances that are full, deep mix of both olibanum resin and olibanum fume. Now I have my second bottle for special use… only for intimate time in my life.

This is a real alternative to seminal scents like Avignon or Incense Extreme. Olibanum is great if you like smoky incense based fragrances but it's quite different form the well known antagonist scents of the same family. Together with the usual liturgic vibe Profumum introduced a sealing wax effect that make Olibanum irresistible. While the opening is still quite severe and chilling, the drydown turns dry-and-warm, meditative and comfortable. A terrific woody-green option. Highly recommended!

Rating: 7.5/10

fountaingirl
fountaingirl

Incense lovers, rejoice! This scent is a dry, heavy, lovely, and yet somehow still sheer incense for the skin.

The opening is a bit sharp, when the fragrance hits your skin there is an immediate and strong note of orange and myrrh. The orange, which I assume is from the orange blossoms, calms down and becomes a background note on me within maybe five minutes, which is how I want it with this one. (It should be noted -- I do NOT normally turn orange blossom into heavy orange, this is unusual and unwanted, but the stage is very fast).

I had worried when I saw "orange blossom" in the notes that this scent would become very sweet, and it would end up being a sweet, or even sugared, incense. I needen't have worried. It is one of the smoothest and driest I have tried. The deep and resiny base is intact, it's all the myrrh a myrrh lover could wish for, and the incense note gives it a whiff of smoke and chil that is perfect.

Sillage is good, but not huge. For this scent I think it is perfect, enough to be noticeable but not at all "headshop-ish" and not aggressive with reasonable application. You could even wear it to work without concern, or on a hot day, which is unusual for an incensey blend. Lasting power is above average, but the latter half of the experience is resin-heavy and less nuanced. If you are a resin fan, this won't be a dealbreaker because this is some of the best myrrh around.