Designers » R S » Woody Aromatic « Groups

Big Pony 1 Ralph Lauren for men
dislike

sour
Big Pony 1 Ralph Lauren for men Pictures

Collection Big Pony by Ralph Lauren was introduced and it counts 4 new perfumes. Big Pony accompanies popular line of T-shirts and accessories. Big Pony 1 is created of lime and oak. It is available in a blue flacon, as 75 and 125ml edt, from June 2010. The nose behind this fragrance is Yves Cassar.

Lime Oak Grapefruit

Benetton Sport Man
Ming Shu Fleur Rare

Big Pony 1 Fragrance Reviews

jahalpin2
jahalpin2

This is one of my favourite fragrances and was my signature fragrance for a while

The fragrance is very fresh and clean, it smells like you have just had a shower

There is a strong smell of lime, it is definitely like a fresher, sportier version of Polo Blue

Every second year, the Christmas gift sets come with a body spray, the body spray is really nice and lasts for ages. Unfortunately this year, the gift set contains a shower gel, which is a bit of a waste as I use so much shower gel

I really like the Big Pony range with the exception of 2, which is fairly vile. I have BP1, 3 and 4 in my fragrance rotation at the moment

As other reviewers have mentioned, this is really a young guys fragrance, however it works on anyone below 40

AND-MAT
AND-MAT

I am not a big fan of the Big pony collection, but I must say that all of them range from average to pretty good.

Big Pony one is the fresh aquatic one. Straightforward and clean. The lime note is all that you can smell balanced with some woody shades.

Simple and easy to wear it's perfect for boys that are just discovering perfumes. It's a safe blind buy and some of the marketing plans include having the perfume sold with earphones or other items which are perfect for teens.

I won't wear it myself at 28 years old though. But, it's totally fine if you are my age or older and still like to wear this perfume. It's just my taste and my opinion over this perfume. Totally subjective!

Elite Gentleman
Elite Gentleman

Big Pony 1 makes me feel fresh. The citrus is crisp and cooling and the underlying woody note gives it a unique and seductive feel.

I would highly recommend this for a date. I've gotten so many compliments on this from beautiful girls I've dated, some that said I smelled good others that I smelled sexy. I won't go into details, but a girl I hooked up with once even requested that I wore some extra sprays during sex! Thank God I had an atomizer.

9/10 from me. You can't go wrong ;)

cmbathyal
cmbathyal

Well if ur nose is not trained or have not tested a lot good/complex stuff in the market, chances are you will get traped in linear/ likable/ safe scent net from sales person..like I did:-(

Manolete
Manolete

This is great. Some days i just wanna smell like fresh limes & light woods and nothing more. Plus this gets me great compliments every single time i wear it.

devynm
devynm

Fresh, synthetic, linear, safe
That's how I feel about the actual scent. But longevity and projection are decent for this kind of fragrance.

jpgaud61
jpgaud61

Like some movie franchises, I think Ralph Lauren's Polo series has too many sequels; Original Polo, Polo Sport, Polo Blue, Polo Black, Polo Double Black, Polo Red, Polo Red White & Blue, yadda yadda.... then comes the "Big Pony" line.

Ralph Lauren's Big Pony 1 - 4 series fragrances smell clean, fresh, and pleasant, but are indistinguished from the other Polo releases, making Polo's Big Pony lineup pedestrian and redundant.

Big Pony1 is a very good scent, like the rest of the Polo fragrances, but Polo Sport & Polo Blue can carry the day for me as well as Big Pony1, in my opinion.

If you're new to Polo fragrances or starting out, Big Pony 1 is a very good starting point. To my nose, however, Big Pony1 is unremarkable from the other Polo fragrances.

heeven
heeven

Casual and youthful. Longevity is weak and sillage is soft, at least on my skin. It is fresh enough to make it pleasant. 7/10

Big Pony 1 for Men is a fairly straight-forward scent. It's an aromatic lime fragrance, with enough oak wood to add to its masculinity. I wouldn't call it innovative, but it is pleasant.

It's fresh but not overly so. You could get away with wearing Big Pony 1 during the cooler months also. As a woman, I enjoy the way it smells, but I wouldn't recommend it as a signature.

Honestly I don't see the point in the Big Pony series. As it is, Ralph Lauren has released far too many Polo scents for men. I'm beginning to feel confused. They all seem to have too much in common with the other.

Big Pony 1 for Men has a very likable breezy quality; carefree and casual. It is a versatile fragrance in lots of ways, and of course true to Ralph Lauren's 'preppy' style.

The sillage is moderate and the longevity good, lasting for approximately six hours on the skin. Not the best from Ralph Lauren, but not bad either.

Bbjr
Bbjr

Zero imagination from Lauren. Al the fragrances smell pretty much alike with the exception of the original polo and safari. Boring stuff and ridiculously synthetic.
The worst stable of fragrances around.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Boring citrus.

Freemason
Freemason

Sour. Sour. Sour.

I bought it for my 10 year old son, it is light, citrusy, fresh, suitable for young people and better on warm weather. It isn't sophisticated per se, so a man of refined taste might find it simplistic, but it is simplistically nice and juicy. And longevity is nice. Price though is high for what you get. At least it isn't smelling like laundry like most of the Lacoste.

thief of hearts
thief of hearts

Zestfully clean

Grottola
Grottola

As synthetic as Big Pony #1 may be, it actually smells pretty natural to my nose. I mean, there's not much to it - just lime and pine (it lasts maybe four hours at the most), but it bears and uncanny resemblance to this organic body spray I've used before (Aubrey Organics), although Big Pony #1 doesn't have the "Christmas tree" smell that the Aubrey one does. It's not groundbreaking or unique in any way, but it's a hell of a lot better than most of its contemporaries. Pretty good!

gianmarco

Compliments compliments compliments!, i dont understand how people dislike this scent, its inofensive and soft FRESH , a nice balance, great!

steve.brule
steve.brule

Softly Synthetic..in a good way!

I really do enjoy Big Pony #1. Seems like the perfect scent for those who like colognes that are fruity/sporty/woodsy. This can be worn as casual or business causal. Probably geared more towards Polo collared shirt with kakhi shorts. However, I wear it around the office every now and then and it seems to work nice for me. (Polo or button-up shirt with dress pants.) I am 27 and people are never offended and curious as to what it is. It does smell youthful, but it could go for someone in their upper 30’s easily. It does have what I call a soft synthetic bite to it, but it’s not worse than any other modern cologne. Do yourself a favor and don’t let “cologne experts” tell you what you can and can’t like. Some folks like colognes that have a synthetic feel to them and some don’t. I will tell you that girls seem to have a nose that is attracted to synthetic frags. I get more complements from girls on this cologne than any other one I have. And I have some high dollar colognes! You just need to go to a store and spray a test on. Really check out the whole scent from when you spray it on, to the middle, and the low. I would recommend you try it out and see for yourself.

KeithScar
KeithScar

I abosulely love Big Pony #1. To me its the best out of the series. It opens with a lemon lime note and dries down to a sweet woody scent. Perfect for spring summer casual wear. I got the oil of this for 5 bucks a boi i tell you its even better than the EDT. WOOOOOOOOOOO

gianmarco

Very good scent, no one can say it smells bad because that is false. Longetivity is an issue, but also polo blue is a issue when you start using it , but then it starts to build up after couple months and for some reason longetivity last more than 7 hours. D&G the one had same issue but then after 4 months of putting it the longetivity lasted more than 10 hours. So buy it and put it a side for a few months, sounds silly but it's true, it's something to do with the alcohol in the bottle

dutchschwag
dutchschwag

Probably the best shorthand definition of citrus woody ever exemplified in fragrance. With two notes, lime and oak, this doesn't need much explanation. Though grapefruit extract does seem to be blended with the lime in the top notes.
Very harsh opening, synthetic and nothing all that interesting, this smells somewhat similar at first to the original Nautica (1992). It dries down into basically the same sporty, inoffensive and banal accord as in the beginning; leaning a bit more heavily on the light woodsy oak note that seems mixed with some form of synthetic sandalwood which gives the lemon space to breathe.
Extremely linear, extremely mundane, yet it works for a man looking for something easy and quick who wants instant variety with four bottles and nice packaging to put on his shelf with the right name that implies at least a touch of suburban department store credibility.
Longevity on this one is spotty and generally below average, falling between 2-3 hours during most wears and has very limited projection, settling in as a skin scent rather quickly.
The Big Pony series is a fantastic introduction to the world of fragrances and would certainly serve teenagers and twenty somethings well but don't deserve the slightest bit of attention to more experienced and discerning noses. Designed for those who don't want to invest a lot of time or money on scent yet want something with versatility and the Polo insignia.

crazyrabbits
crazyrabbits

Big Pony 1 is the very definition of "all pomp and no circumstance".

I pop this on my skin, get a blast of lime and citrus for 10-15 minutes, and then it wears down to virtually nothing, even after repeated sprays. There's no follow-through, no reward for sticking around and waiting to see how it blends in the drydown.

Like others have said, you're better off with any of the other RL colognes.

sirable1
sirable1

I'm not so impress with this Fragrance. It's too basic. The duration of this ralph fragrance is pretty low as well, lasting only about 2 hours or so. The smell is TOO BASIC!

I went out to buy a new one, Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme and I knew this fragrance was the right one for me.

Overall Score: 2 out of 5

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Big Pony 1 has me wondering why, after decades of boardroom meetings and market analysis, Ralph Lauren hasn't caught on that redundancy is a cheap thrill. You capture the public's attention for all of two weeks, manage to rake in some extra holiday-allowance profit, and eventually wind up discontinuing, discontinuing, and discontinuing some more. There's no big picture here. I thought the 1980s were supposed to teach us about the Big Business Big Picture. Apparently I was mistaken.

This fragrance is the perfect example of what not to buy, for two reasons: 1) you'll wind up smelling like a cheaper version of Polo Blue, and 2) Everyone smells like Polo Blue. This is a thin watercolor sketch of that tried-and-tired "blueness" that has pervaded perfumery since Cool Water. Not to say that it comes anywhere close to the specific nature of Cool Water itself; BP 1 is a rather air-freshened and abstract blue sky concept. I'm fairly certain that Polo Blue has already failed at making this type of fragrance anything more than a teenage diversion.

Vierhuizen
Vierhuizen

Big Pony #1.

This cologne does it's job. It's fresh, safe, subtle, but smells good. Lots of citrus and a little bit of woods. Best if used in the summer, but could be used as an everyday school scent.

I don't get great longevity or projection- but hey, what can you expect from a fresh scent? You're not going to have girls crawling all over you with this one, but nobody is going to dislike this or be offended.

Projection: C
Longevity: C
Overall Smell: B

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

Number 1 starts as what's meant to be fresh, but is a lil harsher than fresh, thanks to lime. Lime and oak ora a nice mix but the scent doesnt last long.Using more notes to back up the accords and make them stronger will have changed the overall smell, so maybe not ideal in the designer's eyes.
Still, all 4 ponies were better when retrying them. I can assume the first bacth i cam accross was maybe warmed in transit and not taken care of.
Definitely try all ON YOU SKIN and not paper.

MattAyJay
MattAyJay

I like the scent but I find it to be too light...needs a lot more sprays in order to be effective. Having said that though, the scent is pleasing, clean, and uncomplicated. It's the kind of scent that you would love to smell on a freshly washed crisp shirt (and also the individual fresh out from the shower). Fans of lime-based scents should take note of this one.

antonpan
antonpan

Cheap smelling, linear, but nevertheless rather modern fresh fragrance that will please young crowds during the summertime. It really reminds of some lemony mass market shower gel for men. On the other hand Big Pony #1 is a mix of lemons, limes and - to my nose - some mint.

Ouch!
Ouch!

This is the first of the neigh neighs I have tried. First impressions... Lovely for summer. It's very refreshing and the lime dominates, for once
It actually smells like real lime. Almost
Like lime zest or juice. The opening resembles ck1 summer (the one in the orange, green & yellow bottle 2007?).

After a while the "sporty" notes come out and I'm afraid to say.. Hmm it's risking becoming quite generic on my skin. The lime is fading and the whole thing is getting... Aquatic sporty shower gel.

If there is wood in here it's very light. Alot of guys will probably really like this but for someone like me? I need something a bit more special. Sorry number 1! I hope your brothers 2,3 & 4 have
More to offer!

mszigetihu
mszigetihu

My favourite from the Big Pony Collection. Also, most likely the lightest fragrance i've ever smelled.

Completely linear drydown, a little woody (oak), but very hard to recognize, i mostly detect the lime - this is the dominant note. Besides these, it has a kind of fruity aroma. On the whole, it smells like fresh air, really.

Very simple but pleasant fragrance from Ralph Lauren with the blue attitude that Polo Blue has, but in a completely different way. It's more like an "airy flavour" - gypsy parfumista has written the perfect words already, let me quote him: "climb a giant oak and read a book on a sunny afternoon". This is it. Not more, not less. A little bit synthetic-smelling, but it attaches to these kind of fragrances. You know, a necessary bad.

I wear this if i want to feel myself fresh in the hot weather, after a cold shower. That's all. Too simple for anything else. The people will detect that you smell good, but you won't impress anybody. Good for spring and summer, longevity is reasonable, about 4-6 hours, altering. Sillage is not so bad, i would say almost good considering the lightness of the juice. Good price, easily affordable. The blue bottle is clear and nice - nothing extreme though. Seems like water in it. Well, almost. Give this a try.

seanchai
seanchai

Smelled nice on the test strip, clear notes of lime and wood. Unfortunately, within a few seconds of coming into contact with my skin, turned horribly chemically - like hospital laundry detergent, very astringent and strange. Drydown led to it smelling less offensive; more like lemon dishwashing soap. I really wanted to like this one, but it's a definite "try before you buy," as something about it seems to *drastically* change its character once combined with some people's skin chemistry.

guest_Novel
guest_Novel

For me, the 2nd from the Big Pony Collection, right after the #3. Smells like fresh air. Nothing complex, but very interestring. Not as good as Polo Blue, but it's worth a try, really.

kylexora
kylexora

Just try it with my friend, fresh and woody. It suit the color of the bottle, but very simple. Wood plus lime, the you get fresh woody smell. Smell good, but not original. I've to say, I has smell this kinda perfume before. Fail to impress me much... Ordinary and boring... Good, but nothing amazing...

iMaverick
iMaverick

GEEZ, why did they even have to bother with these four? I want to call them The Four Ponies of the Apocalypse, but it still sounds interesting. I think they're all terrible, poorly thought and only good for impulse buying without any heed to perfume artistry other than to be a generic deodorant spray.

My first thought on seeing this one was "O great, another blue scent..." and the display at the fragrance counter said something like 'sporty and clean' so when I sprayed it I was pleasantly surprised...

Most limes are bitter then sweet, this is more like a key lime slightly sour and cleaner than most limes but citric yet slightly floral (if that makes any sense). This was the salesgirl's favorite of the four and I have to say, due to the large amount of woody aromatics and citrus scents I have this would be the last one of the four that I will buy. But don't take that the wrong way, they are all good and this one is clean and sporty and as the zestiness mellows there is a hint of something that I cannot describe, other than it is not quite aquatic but not quite green either. It is soft in a floral type of way but not flower-y. The wood is grand and I can still smell an air of what reminds me of when I used to climb a giant oak and read a book on a sunny afternoon. This is not the oak of a whiskey cask or even furniture-this is a living fresh essence of oak that has a woody feel, but also leaves blowing in the breeze and a hint of fresh soil. Not your run of the mill sport-scent but something light enough to be free-spirited and wooody enough to carry itself as an aromatic...

Sillage: slight
Longevity: 4-5 hours
Overall: 3.25/5

All in all I liked this collection more than I thought I would from the PR and think they are just different enough from other RL fragrances but classy enough to carry that name. I was a tad jealous when he released the womens line(Hot, Cool, Wild and Rocks) that the men did not get their versions...these were worth the wait!

andrevarx
andrevarx

This is an EDT with a simple and straightforward flavor, slightly green woods with notes of very fresh input. It really is too subtle fragrance, I think you be able to advertise better as Eau de Cologne instead of EDT.

Big Pony 1 by Ralph Lauren 3.41 out of 5 based on 223 ratings and 35 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Ralph Lauren Big Pony 1 fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Ralph Lauren Big Pony 1, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Big Pony 1 by Ralph Lauren. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Big Pony 1 by Ralph Lauren represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.