Designers » R S » Woody Chypre « Groups

Chaps Ralph Lauren for men
dislike

leather
Chaps Ralph Lauren for men Pictures

Ralph Lauren Chaps from 1979 is a masculine and refined woody scent of chypre and oriental tones. It opens with fresh notes of bergamot, lemon, lime and sage. The heart notes of spices are completed with jasmine and lavender, settled at the base of patchouli, oak moss, sandalwood, vetiver, leather, amber and vanilla.

It is available as eau de cologne.

Sage Bergamot Amalfi Lemon Lime

Spices Lavender Jasmine

Vetiver Sandalwood Patchouli oak moss Amber Vanille Leather

Chaps Fragrance Reviews

Penny Urn'd
Penny Urn'd

This is your one-way ticket out of the "friend zone."

You're welcome.

maio2012
maio2012

Strong, rough, animalic. No refinement. Some will love, some will dislike, but nobody can be indifferent.

Redbeard
Redbeard

This (the old version) is what I wished Stetson could have been. It's still a sweet brown brew, with honey and flowery spices yielding to a gentle musk, but while Stetson smelled like my mom's Norell and had no balls, Chaps probably has one. It's not very strong so sometimes I try to do a double dose. Even so, the base notes are pretty weak and I sometimes will re-splash myself to smell anything at all. If I breathe deeply over the splash spot, I get a slight pee residue smell. I wish there were something astringent or sour other than that pee in the mix, even if only for the first few minutes, to break up the monotonous, though not quite overpowering, sweetness.

hornetz
hornetz

Reminds me of the Marlboro man. It is very strong scent that overpowers your senses and transports you to the old western era. I cant stand the leather on it and gives me a splitting headache plus it smells dated. Perfect for Tom Selleck!

RobbieX
RobbieX

Old school yes, but too strong, crude and rough for me. Gave it away for a raffle. It's a negative I'm afraid

illustriousvideoboy
illustriousvideoboy

Chaps does not fit my personality at all. The smell reminds me of a cowboy who just wrestled a sweaty bull. That is fine if you want to smell like you just got off the range, but for an urban IT professional it just doesn't work. There is a stong powder smell that almost feels like you are trying to cover up soiling yourself. This is far from sophisticated.

billtruax
billtruax

A few years ago I learned that the origninal formula was discontinued, and that the entire Chaps brand had been sold to Kohl's department stores. Kohl's carries Chaps 1978, and Chaps Weekend. Both are reformulated and smell nothing at all like the original. I searched online and found a bottle on Ebay, but it had already gone stale. Now I know where the expression "old lady perfume" comes from, because that's what I smelled like after I put it on. I dumped it down the drain and could see that all the ingredients had separated. I did some research on the Ralph Lauren website and found that Lauren had stopped making the original in 2007. That means if you are lucky enough to find a bottle somewhere online, it's going to be at least five years old.

jesseyanne
jesseyanne

Guys, the girls like me find it irresistable on the man we love. I mean irresistable.

gemgirl26
gemgirl26

I LOVE Chaps. It's my favorite cologne for men. It screams masculinity and strength, with no apologies.

I bought a bottle for my hubby - he prefers brighter frags like Acqua di Gio - but he'll wear this for me every so often. I love it! It's like an aphrodisiac!

I agree, it's a bit harsh straight out of the bottle, but the drydown is amazing. Very long-lasting with good sillage.

The 2007 version, in my opinion, was just a joke (shame on you, RL!). I'm pretty sure the original version has been discontinued, but I've been able to buy a couple of bottles online.

Rob in VanCity
Rob in VanCity

Not particularly fond of this fragrence. But in all fairness, I haven't smelled in years since I was in high school. But to my recollection, this is an extremely strong musky smell. Maybe at that time in my life, it wasn't the best fragrence for my age group.

Unlike Lana Lool, I don't perceive a lot of patchouli (which I only like in small amounts) though it's a bit urinous. Vintage Givenchy Gentleman, on the other hand, is a patchouli sledgehammer, at least at first. Anyway, think of Gomma. Now sweeten it up a touch. Now add a pinch of Kouros. That's more or less vintage Chaps. There's a very interesting powdery quality that has more of a dusty, dry outdoors aspect than the powderiness of a fragrance like Dior Homme. As you might expect, I have to be in the mood for this one. The drydown isn't as crude as the opening, thankfully. It's natural smelling and lasts a long time, with excellent projection ("sillage") and a great though subtle sandalwood note.

Lana Lool
Lana Lool

Behind Bel Ami, this is one of my favorite dry leathery frags. The vintage bottles are full of oakmoss, and together with patchouli, sandalwood, and just a smidge of vanilla, make up one of the most wonderful vintage chypres. The patchouli can get a little overwhelming in the drydown, but in the right weather this brew shines. For a long time, I wouldn't even think of using this or English Leather, as I viewed them as drug store fragrances, but it was truly my loss. Now, I wear Chaps whenever I don't want to use the rest of my vintage Bel Ami, but am craving a nice dry oakmoss leather scent...satisfying!

longtail
longtail

I always loved the aftershave. I bought it for my husband when we dated, then married. I even had some in my secret stash so I could smell it whenever I wanted. mmmm! Sometimes I would wear it to work, just for me.

krmarich
krmarich

Chaps was my first love. I would splash it on every day and felt so sexy. Indeed, the brilliant chypre accord developed into a later obsession. I must have been very sexy back then!!! Oakmoss, patcholi, vetiver with some jasmine and rose et al. It was somewhat crude, yet ever loyal to my young nose! I never forgot it.

And then one day, I found my old plastic silver capped splash in my old vanity. I though it must be water by now. I gave it a twist and it was still as potent as 1983! WOW! The quality of this baby is unmatched, especially by the worthless reformulation of today. It has devolved to water with some strange chemicals within.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Easily my favorite fragrance from Ralph Lauren, Chaps is an invigorating bursts of lavender and patchouli, with a swift drydown of powdery leather and sandalwood. Everything is represented in tandem, but it's very crudely executed. Still, the fragrance works, if only because it is simple, concise, and utterly masculine. Nothing to lose sleep over if it can't be found, but worth purchasing if it is.

mehrdad
mehrdad

با نظر آقای سامی هاردانیان کاملا موافقم
کاری کلاسیک و مردانه و برای من که بسیار نوستالوژیک است هنوز که هنوز است گاهی برای رایحه آن دلم تنگ میشود اگرچه شاید امروزیها زیاد آنرا نپسندند اما در نوع خود و برای فصل پاییز و زمستان همچنان بی نظیر است و از دوام و پخش بالای بویی هم برخوردار است
مقداری بوی بادام تلخ هم از رایحه اش به مشام میرسد در کل عطری است
وسترن و کابوی
یاد مرحوم جان وین و گری گوری پک را تداعی میسازد

samihardanian
samihardanian

یک عطر کلاسیک، قدیمی و بسیار مردانه. هر موقع بوی آن به مشامم می خورد یاد فیلمهای وسترن و مرحوم جان وین می افتم

Ad nauseam
Ad nauseam

One of my first designer colognes ever. Very manly and very distinct. It was worn by all the cool guys in my high school. Very popular until Polo became the new rage. Then it fell out of favor, and gasp . . . was sold at Wal-Mart. Chaps seems to have been forgotten for the most part over the years, but I remember it well. Wish I would have kept my old half full bottle. Will definitely be keeping my eyes open for a vintage.

Chaps by Ralph Lauren 3.64 out of 5 based on 70 ratings and 18 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Ralph Lauren Chaps fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Ralph Lauren Chaps, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Chaps by Ralph Lauren. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Chaps by Ralph Lauren represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.