Designers » R S » Floral Green « Groups

Lauren Ralph Lauren for women

Lauren Ralph Lauren for women Pictures Lauren Ralph Lauren for women Pictures Lauren Ralph Lauren for women Pictures

Lauren is one of the first two perfumes by Ralph Lauren and his first perfume for women. This is a feminine and gracious floral bouquet with green top notes and powdery base of wood and spices. The heart contains the classic trio of rose, carnation and violet. The perfume was created in 1978.

Pineapple Clary Sage Green Notes Brazilian Rosewood

J'Adore L'Absolu

Lauren Fragrance Reviews

wistfulmaiden
wistfulmaiden

I spray tested this today and was literally shocked. It was nothing like Id expected (maybe I was thinking of a greener version of Romance). Bitter, extremely woody, so much so that it reminds me of wood cleanser for furniture polish. Somewhat in your face, not necessarily feminine or masculine...Katharine Hepburn comes to mind, in that tell it like it is no-nonsense way (woman wearing trousers before it was hip). For very modern strong women, I think
I really cant say much about this except it doesn't even smell like a perfume to me, it smells like some kind of product. Im not a fan.

Tracyarts
Tracyarts

Review is based on a vintage bottle.

On me, Lauren starts out very soapy with woodsy and green notes rounding things out. As it dries down the green fades and some spicy notes start to come through. It stays pretty true to that from then on out. It smells like a fine bath soap to me. The kind that one might keep in the cabinet to scent their linens. It's pleasant, classic, and clean. Just not clean in a fresh and watery kind of way.

Mistressvoodoodolly
Mistressvoodoodolly

Absolutely get the vintage version. There are many on eBay. I got it because my dear high school friend from the mid 80s wore it and she passed away. Sense of smell can really bring you back. I'm sitting on the steps with her working on homework and I ask what that lovely fragrance was. She quietly laughed and said Lauren. Only the preps wore it I later learned and we were the alternative/punk kids. It just goes to show you a woman is a woman and a good fragrance should not be limited to any type.

Does anyone know if an EDP or parfum version exists? I've only seen EDT.

diego.lesgart

Why discontinued this 80s icons ... Green and floral at my nose ... Gorgeous bottle and pack . . . Please make a new edition, collecting or anniversary . . .

Aeris

An update to my review below: I had the newer EDT before and I just bought a bottle of the Cologne Vintage version. My oh my, I didn't know it was possible for me to LOVE Lauren more than I already do. The Vintage one is fuller, warmer, and softer around the edges. It's a little spicier and the green notes are less sharp (so it smells more like a forest and less like fresh cut grass on someone's yard). I like the initial green overload rush in the EDT version better (maybe the cologne had it too at one point? It's possible that the top notes became weaker over the decades). The vintage is definitely more mature and has an animalic overtone (civet?), but not in your face like Tabu. I can't stop smelling myself. It lasts longer and projects further than the EDT. I love both versions though. I can picture a woman like Jennifer Connelly wearing this....sexy in that mysterious and brainy sort of way.

pansylady
pansylady

I have been looking forward to finally sampling this iconic fragrance from the 80s-

It starts off with a very shampoo-ey vibe, reminiscent of my favorite shampoo scent from the 70s- Clairol Herbalessence-

but poof- it seemed as if it was gone before it began-

jenscot
jenscot

Remember this from the preppy 1980's. Sexy and classic. Woodsy and warm.

Aeris

I have yet to try the vintage version, but I love this scent. I tried it at the mall because my male friend told me it was one of his favorite scents on women back in the day. He smelled it at the counter and said "yeah that's the same one" ...so it can't be THAT much different from the vintage. I love the initiall rush of green florals. Unfortunately, longevity and sillage are poor after that. But it's such a beautiful green, woody, spicy floral scent. I hate having to spend so much on something I need like 10 sprays of, so I'll look into the vintage afterall. In the meantime I have a decant version of the EDT.

wkws1404
wkws1404

I have loved this perfume since i was in college. I named my daughter after it. They stopped carrying it in Dillards and it used to cost $50.00 a bottle to now it is costing my $70.00- $90.00 a bottle. I love my Lauren

OlMagnolia
OlMagnolia

This is one of the first fragrances I ever bought...and since my name is Lauren I just had to see if we were a match. Well, it was not to be. I'm not sure what set me off but whenever I wore this perfume I got the worst headaches. So much for Lauren's Lauren.

professorlilith
professorlilith

I've worn it since a few years after its initial release. For those worried about the quality of the old stuff, I have two old bottles of the old formula that I purchased in the mid ninties. They haven't gone off, even though one bottle has been through a couple of long distance and I lost the cap on one years ago. The top notes are stll there. What I like about the perfume is that it's very wearable--the scent is light, feminine, and noticeable at each stage of the dry down. It has good sillage, but it's gentle enough it doesn't annoy the neighbors,

WildDove
WildDove

Loved Lauren back in the day, wore it a lot in winter with plaids, sueded fabrics, and leather. Greens, reds, deep golds, and browns. I tend to favor the carnation, rose, and oakmoss notes that were prominent in Lauren. Even if properly stored in a cool closet, vintage Lauren can easily have gone "off" at this point. Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte Concentre has taken the place of Lauren in my fragrance wardrobe.

jana.hullinghorst
jana.hullinghorst

I just purchased a vintage .5 oz edt off ebay. Dear Gods please have it be in good condition and not soured from poor storage!! I've already lost money on a vintage Lauren that was purchased from an estate sale. It's getting harder and harder to find this in the vintage formulation as it is.. I'm probably going to need to change signatures or get used to the reformulation :/

update: i got my bottle today and I'm happy to report that the juice is still in great condition! the vintage formulation starts off greener and has an animalic note that gives it an intimate warmth the reformulation lacks. just beautiful.

Irishys
Irishys

Oh how I loved Lauren by Ralph Lauren back in the 80's. It was what I wore when I was dating my husband. It was so warm and beautiful, even on cold winter nights. Floral, but not sickeningly sweet. Classic and elegant.

I tried it again and noticed a definite difference. It just didn't smell the same. Now it's too heavy, too floral. Why did they change the original?

Scout
Scout

I wore this my senior year in high school, and it carries with it all the glorious memories of that year, specifically prom and graduation. This is the promise of the months of May and June. It is where I first acknowledged rose as my signature muse. The pineapple here only served as a backdrop to feature the rose on my skin.

I can recall picking up dresses from the laundry pile and still smelling the scent; but it was never as magical as it was while I was wearing it. It was as if my chemistry were an electrical amplifier to the fragrance as an amp is to a guitar. People used to want to hug me just to smell me.

The staying power and sillage of those days is still fresh in my mind; I can recall its intoxicating green fresh floral citrus radiating warmth from my neck. This scent christened my transition from a girl into a confident young woman.

I bought a bottle a couple years ago hoping to relive the magic. Sadly, it is cold and thin.

Edit: I remember the bottle from those years ago now. It was square. And I also remember it developing a coat of oil on it. I think that the parfum was so good and concentrated the oils would accumulate. Oh please bring the glory of that square treasure back!

ana queiroz
ana queiroz

I wore the vintage version, a strong green entrance opening to jasmin flowers and roses,very very actractive. Miss it so much, never tried reformulated!

Perfumenut1
Perfumenut1

As soon as I tried this on my skin it reminded me of another perfume, which I eventually realised was Fidji by Guy Laroche, Lauren comes off slightly more fresher. I tried it after an interview I read from 2011 with makeup artist Bobbi Brown, in which she said one of her favourite perfumes was 'Lauren the one in the red square bottle'. Funny enough she didn't mentioned anything about her own fragrances!

stormyla
stormyla

Oh what a great green opening on this fragrance! This was a great scent in it's original formulation. It was so fresh and invigorating. At the time, there was nothing else like it. I used 3 or 4 bottles of it before it became so overwhelmingly popular. I never left home without a purse spray in my handbag.

This scent was never harsh or cloying,just very bright and uplfting. When it became so commonplace, I moved on to something else. I will always remember this one fondly.

SadieBluesLady
SadieBluesLady

This was my first "real" perfume purchase, my first step up from Avon, Revlon and the drugstore bottles that were great during high school. And I didn't just get a dinky little bottle, I bought a huge, heavy ruby glass vessel of perfumed bath oil! For a special night out, I would slather myself with the oil after showering, put on my fancy duds, and just before leaving, I'd freshen up the fragrance with a few sprays of edt.

So I probably didn't have the same initial application experience as the rest of you. Mine was a lush wash of florals caressing me all over, and when I finally did apply the actual edt, it just brightened everything up a few notches and blended right in with what was already there.

I would love to have another big red bottle of that luscious bath oil!!

Mama's little girl was just a natural born hedonist!

JMekarwati-69
JMekarwati-69

Reminds me, my oldest sister ,my first try of her perfume bottle, then I liked and bought it.

AmazonGrace
AmazonGrace

Perfumeaddiction...your memory about this fragrance relative to the era is spot on! Oh, still very much a classic for me, Lauren is--sadly: just not in the way it once was all those years ago. It was one of my first ever "real" perfumes (read: non-drugstore) and I wore it on a daily basis back in junior high school.

I loved the heavy, angular feel of the dark burgundy bottle in my hands as if it were declaring: "I am Perfume, hear me roar!" And roar, it did--to the point that although I loved it then: it wore me and preceeded my every direction by advancing at least ten feet ahead of me.

I cannot wear this now and didn't succeed in wearing it well then, either. Had I used a lighter hand, it would have worked much better--but that was defeating the purpose of wearing fragrance back in the BIG old days. Shoulderpads, hair, everything seemed made in one-size-fits-all. In a word: TEXAS-sized!

I was young and new to fragrance, and I loved Lauren. It was thick, syrupy, enveloping (albeit to the point of mummifying)...and so very opulent. It told the world during a time I struggled with shyness "I am here, amongst and beside you. We are united in our good taste!" Hmm...maybe I only really liked the idea of it and not the actual scent? I honestly can't recall...

Fast forward to today and no, not even as a room freshener or aromatic. I still love the immediate memories I get when I smell Lauren, but way too heavy of a fragrance for me now. No offense intended here to any present admirers of Lauren, but it's just too BIG and heady for me. (I'm the type who likes my fragrance to be noticed if it's a scent I love, too).

Thanks for the great memories, Lauren--and for that alone I still have the last original bottle I bought from back in the eighties...as fresh and memorable as the day I first opened it.

perfumeaddiction
perfumeaddiction

This is a timeless classic. I hear that all the vintage perfumes have changed due to the formulation changes and regulations. I have not smelled the new formulation. When I smell this perfume I think of highschool and Izod and polo shirts, fun with friends and big 80's hair. Lauren smells of class.

clancyann
clancyann

I feel compelled to explain my location in time and place with regard to this fragrance. I'm from the American south, born in 1974. This perfume manages to be so much at once for me: horseback riding lessons, lessons in how to sit and walk gracefully, and so much more. This is easily the best fragrance ever in the "green" group. It is so fresh, like clover leaves that just sprouted, or like the inside of a stem of a limb of an apple tree, before it gets very woody in the middle. Lauren can be worn by people of any age, in any season. I'm so grateful to get to re-experience this (vintage version), courtesy of a nice sample from Conifer lover.

Finally, I know this is blasphemy, but I have sprayed some Lauren on myself from a tester bottle at ULTA recently, and I will add that while the vintage is gorgeous, I very much like the new version too, and I smell a lot of similarity.

Museumgal
Museumgal

The green notes are super sharp here, but if you give it a moment the lilac comes in and this a wonderful note. Smells like early summer with the lilacs and the burst of green, the other notes add complexity and depth but the lilac is really the star here. I would definitely recommend to lilac fans but you have to have a tolerance for green notes, because they are very striking in the opening and you can't ignore them.

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

This is a classic and was so popular when this first came out that it defined an entire era for a number of women who wore this initially. I associate this fragrance with Ralph Lauren's steep climb towards unbelievable success, Lauren and Polo by Ralph Lauren - were launched around the same time and both became incredibly popular.

This has a tweed blazer type feel to it, it seems preppy and natural.

I find that sometimes I do not like to wear a fragrance that everyone else is wearing. As time goes on, these are often the best fragrances to try-- because you have the masses moving on to something more current, very similar to a Blockbuster Movie.

Sometimes fragrances are very similar to movies, you enjoy seeing the new things that come out and experiencing those-- but may gravitate to a list of classics that you privately enjoy even more than the newly launched films (or fragrances).

This is definitely one to revisit. It wore well on millions of women. It defined an era.

This is a complete classic!

Chowchops
Chowchops

My absolute favorite. Ralph Lauren is missing the boat by not bringing this fresh, green and sexy fragrance back.

I used to wear it at work, and was always asked by men what I was wearing.

nellyrlight@aol.com
nellyrlight@aol.com

classic beauty..never stopped loving this! LOL!! always have a bottle (or two--paranoid about not being able to find it--in fact it really is so hard to find it) tucked away..very unique, special..reminds me of open fields with full of daisies in the spring sunshine.

Sup3rnal
Sup3rnal

I got a small bottle of this for my birthday many years ago and I still have it on my display cabinet (I collect perfume bottles) until now. When I first got it, I was still in my teens and while I didn't quite like it, I thought it to be sophisticated and what a confident adult woman would wear.

Now that I am an adult, I tried it on before work, and while I still get that sophisticated feel, I don't feel all that confident wearing it.

At first sniff, I find it not very attractive. It's loud and in your face, and quite overpowering. But once you let it settle on your skin for a couple of hours, it dries down to powdery floral scent.

It's very subtle and soft once you give it a chance. I cannot really pick out a scent that stands out, but everything comes across warm with a hint of green.

Not my kind of perfume, not for my personality at least. But not that it's not nice. It's more for a corporate woman who wants to stand out, but not be too over the top...if that makes sense.

All in all, it's lasting and projection is about medium.

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

My first impression of this fragrance was very, very good! A meadow of grass and wildflowers....... quite enchanting.

Within 30 min or less this had settled to a watered down version of Jessica McClintock, mostly lily of the valley and a little lilac.

I still love this fragrance for the opening notes, because the clary sage, green notes, and pineapple morph into a spell binding meadow aura. I suspect the original was stronger, more concentrated.

Overall, however, I had to use so many sprays for such a gentle scent ( NO sillage past the first few minutes ) that Lauren does not seem a good value. If I had this scent already, I'd be spraying it generously on my hair and clothes for the best mileage.

Gorgeous Opening!!

tubereuse
tubereuse

This is a beautiful perfume. Have a vintage bottle left over from high school days - time to have fun with this one again!!!

HopeFloats72
HopeFloats72

Someone purchased this for me when I was in high school, for my birthday. I liked it, until some bonehead I was going out with asked me if I was having my "time of the month" because my perfume had "changed". I never wore it again. I always liked the classy, feminine scent. I was in my late teens so I hadn't yet discovered my (now) go-to spicy oriental frags. I wore Lauren and an equally light and airy Liz Claiborne (in the Triangle bottle, still available today). I would buy either for my niece who is 17 as they are sweet, simple scents. Still learning about notes, etc so I apologize if this is "vague".

Milladane
Milladane

From the lovely ruby glass bottle, I would have thought the juice inside would be lush, warm, spicy, fruity, and gorgeous, but it's actually a green floral that opens in a very harsh and pungent manner. Absolutely no pineapple, as pineapple is one of my favorite scents and fruits, so I would have been thrilled if I did smell it. I do smell lots of lily of the valley...probably one of my least favorite flower. It is a classy scent, but not interesting...seems to have been a common kind of scent created in the 70s. You know, like say...Charlie.

My mini EDT is from the early 90s, and that's also around the time I remember smelling it on tons of other college girls and in department stores. Back then, I mainly wore Victoria, Oscar de la Renta, Chanel 5, and Chanel 19. Lauren was not a scent I would of worn back then, and definitely not now. A different Ralph Lauren scent, Safari, which I wore during the mid-90s, is more to my liking, though that stuff is powerful so I did not wear it too often. Well, so since I did not wear this, Lauren reminds me not of my own life, but of the Holiday displays at Macy's in the early 90s.

Oh, by the way, I was just at TJ Maxx, and they have a lot of Lauren candles, diffusers, and other Lauren home fragrance items, so those of you that love this fragrance might want to scoop them up.

amelie

@whiteshoulders, dont' know if mine was reformulated, but smells terrific, all I can say; truly green and sophisticated

whiteshoulders
whiteshoulders

One of the most gorgeous and unique fragrances I have ever had. Fell in love with this the first time I smelled it, and for several years of my life, this is pretty much all I wore. The green, floral, spicy mixture is just genius. I adore Ralph Lauren and this style. This sums up to me the preppy, classic lifestyle that was my life at the time this was released. There is something sensible, confident, intelligent about this perfume, a girl with subdued style and grace. Really love it, and the reformulation, sad to say, is not the same. Just a hint at what once was. Tragic.

Beverly2012
Beverly2012

Probably the nicest perfume I've ever used and still trying to find something similar in Canada. We can't get it here. I love the body lotion. Sometimes, I would just use that.

babel
babel

My love wore this in the 1980's. Smelled 'old', there was something 'virginal' about it. I was not crazy about it then. Thankfully, Cartier released Panthere and Lauren stayed in the bottle...

Thank you cherokeegenie for the explanation about the reformulations. I guess we sort of fought for that - to not have animal testing and byproducts in our cosmetics - in many ways. It goes to show the adage 'watch what you ask for' often rings true.

kflinta
kflinta

Wore this as a freshman in college. Only fragrance for me then.

amelie

Well, I have the new release, suppose, and it's kinda more airy, just the way I like to be. And still classy, green,complex...Ralph Lauren is not just one of those...Safari is another masterpiece I like, it's stylish, yea that's the best word.

cherokeegenie
cherokeegenie

A quick note about formulations...the old vintage fragrances had natural fixatives such as ambergris, civet, and musk. The newer ones now have chemical fixatives which the perfumers tell us are the same as the old natural ones. I say poo to that. Our noses know the difference! I wore Lauren in the 80's too, and it's like Halston, Paco Rabanne's Metal, Liz Claiborne, and those "power" fragrances that we overwhelmed everyone in the office with! I haven't smelled Lauren for years..I went to Lancome's Magie Noire and YSL Opium Fleur de Imperiale..love the spicy ones now..might buy a little bottle for remembering the old days.

Juma
Juma

It's to earthy to like it and somehow too mature to wear it altought I'm not a young girl. It's not modern at all, very old-fashioned to me. It's going away as an extra if next swapper will want it.

RainyDayDaydream
RainyDayDaydream

I guess I'm too young to really appreciate this scent? I got it as a gift, when I was younger. I want to like it, but it smells too much like plants and earth for me to really enjoy this perfume like I feel I should. I'm very much more into gourmand fragrances. This is just not for me. It also smells very sharp, and too overwhelming on my skin. And reminds me of a more older woman. If very flowery, floral fragrances is more preferred then this is probably for you. But I am thinking of giving away mine.

bkblan
bkblan

Smells like all the college sorority girls in the 1980s. LOL! Everyone used it. My whole dorm smelled like this! Not sure if I'd like it or not. Haven't smelled it since then.

kelly dean
kelly dean

i.m so glad someoneelse said they liked the old formulation better..i thought it was just me..i've worn Lauren for 25 years and the last 3 bottles were different..not so much the smell but the concentration..i sprayed 20 (yes 20) sprays on me one day and my freind couldn't smell it 1 hour later! now i;m looking for another scent but i'm sad to think i will never have another 25 year love affair..it feels like i'm being unfaithful..lol but the possibilites ars endless!!

Justinjade
Justinjade

Some good things never last, and this one is a precise example of a good thing gone bad... I hate reformulations! I prefer the old vintage scent - mysterious, alluring, captivating but wildly innocent :)

I wore this in my late teens and early twenties during the 80's when everything seemed to be rose-perfect but I can't quite capture the same feeling (perfume-wise) in the new reformulated bottle I got a few days ago... there's something terribly missing in what I considered my signature scent!

Goodfortune5758
Goodfortune5758

I have the original formulation of this scent. Good memories. Still smells great to me.

icekat
icekat

When I first put this scent on, I was overwhelmed by the abundance of green freshness mixed with spring flowers and hint of herbs. The scent awakened in me feeling of being alive and wild desire to celebrate the arrival of spring. I love the intense, crisp and green scents that remind me of a wild nature. Ralph Lauren is one of those scents, especially in the beginning. The composition without a doubt is interesting, rich and classy. But I would not call it an evening scent. It is one of those rare perfumes where the casual scent also manages to have an exceptional class and style.

The abstract green notes dominate the opening. The spring floral notes gently mingle with green and earthy notes. I don’t always like herbal notes in the perfumes but the sage note fits perfectly here adding the realistic outdoor feeling to this scent. The opening is my favorite part of the scent. As the scent develops, the jasmine, lilac and lily of the valley take over. This is where the scent turns a bit heady. The strong floral bouquet is a bit too much for me in the heart notes but nevertheless it is quite lovely. After 3 hours the perfume turns into a light green mossy scent. It is pleasant but not very noticeable.

Overall score is 7/10. I have never tried the original version from 1978 but even in a current reformulation, it is worth a try. Unique and refined, Ralph Lauren is a lovely choice for spring and summer.

laura.linger.3
laura.linger.3

I wore the original version all during my years as a student at Purdue. The scent smells very collegiate to me anyway: warm and woodsy, sweet and a little bit cloying, just right for autumn football afternoons and bonfires, warm sweaters and jeans. 1989-1991, this was my signature fragrance.

The "reformulation" is an insult to the original.

catsngunsnyarn
catsngunsnyarn

I wore this in the mid-'80s for a bit, when I was 15. I felt so sophisticated and pretty. The floral and slight bitterness would be too sharp today for my taste.

diego.lesgart

Original nombre... el apellido de Ralph y nombre femenino... frasco muy bonito aunque sobrio y geometrico, aroma tambien picantito...

perhapspersephone
perhapspersephone

My sister used to wear Lauren. I hate it . She would practically take a bath in it. Horrible and super sweet and over powering . I wouldn't touch the stuff .

nananessa
nananessa

Love the floral fragrance but doesn't last at all on me. I have tried & tried to wear this because I love the fragrance so much but it's too expensive to have to keep reapplying it all the time. Two bottles just vaporized vanished in no time for me. I always try to have my skin soapy scrubbed clean & then after my final rinse in the shower, while still wet with water & skin pores steamed open with my preferred nearly hot water, I final rinse in cool to begin the pore shrinkage, then seal in the moisturizing water with a generous coat of unscented baby oil. When oiled up well from below neck & on down all over, it gives skin a good drink of moisture so it doesn't quite drink in an applied fragrance like just scrubbed skin with no sealer prep. I read that trick many years ago in a beauty book & it really works to help frags last on my dry skin. But even that doesn't hold Lauren for me.

About the only way I would invest in this one again would be to put the perfume in an aromatherapy amulet & wear it. I even tried soaking cotton balls with it & tucking them in my bra. No longevity. I wish he had made this one to last...I love his designs & fragrances but I haven't found any of his fragrances that last very long. I bought Polo & Chaps (two of my all time men's frags) for my then husband & 2 sons. And neither frag last very long for them either.

So I no longer buy any his fragrances. They vanish all too soon on me for some reason...

In the past, I haven't been much of a fan of Ralph Lauren's female fragrances. Their current line is quite uninspiring in my personal opinion, however I find their discontinued fragrances far more interesting. Pure Turquoise, Safari and Lauren really shouldn't have ceased production. It was one silly person who thought that they would not be missed.

Lauren is quite elegant and beautiful, despite its casual feel. It opens with a unique blend of fruits, spices and green nuances. In most cases, pineapple on my skin causes me grief, but I'm happy to say that this was not the case with Lauren. The green accords, when further highlighted by clary sage and sweet pineapple, in turn create a rather complex and pleasing scent.

The heart rounds out into a fresh bouquet of jasmine, lilac and carnation. At this point, the composition could turn soapy, however on my skin, the woods and spices keep the heart balanced and lively.

I am quite blown away by the sillage which is a lot richer than I thought it would be for an EDT. Without being too much, Lauren encloses me in a beautiful, fresh, green floral scent bubble. At present I'm testing this fragrance on a rather cool Autumn day, however I can only imagine that Lauren improves during Spring and Summer.

The drydown introduces some warmer aspects with slightly salty vetiver, sandalwood, cedar and beautiful oakmoss. The greeness is more damp and musty at this point in time.

Lauren is a very classy scent, but in no way is it too mature for younger women. I'm happy to find bottles of Lauren EDT still available for purchase from some trustworthy online retailers. Now I can only wish that Ralph Lauren brings it back into regular production alongside the Ralph and Romance bottles. Wishful thinking perhaps.

ecofreak2001
ecofreak2001

I had it a couple of times as a child. Yes I know it's such a grown up scent. But because of this, I still have the vintage version with more than 25 years! Back then I put it on to go at family gatherings or visit my relatives. Just a little was enough; I just used it to feel grown up, but found it too much for me. Now, it's just right...a very spicy, vintage smell that's reserved to go out at night or for a special occasion.

Ohkit
Ohkit

As I was born in 91, I haven't smelled the original Lauren, only the reformulated one. Well, at first it is sharp (I can detect mint and even incense?), then it turns into a pleasant floral. Surprisingly enough, I get the pinapple note and a hint of lilac. I find it a bit too sweet and common for my taste, but A LOT better than many "newcomer" scents of today. But yeah, this is the new, reformulated fragrance. I'm sure the original was almost flawless, hope to sniff it someday :)

Scarlette
Scarlette

I smell mint. I have a 'supposed' vintage bottle, but I remember it being less minty. I loved the vintage, but I no longer feel the same. It is fresh, clean and breezy, and I think it would cool you down on a hot summer's day. Where I live, I get few of those (climate is a HUGE factor in fragrance favorites), and this leaves me wanting more depth, and less minty toothpaste water smell.

autumnfall
autumnfall

There is a lot of black cherry in this fragrance. very mature scent but i still like it :)

lblackstone
lblackstone

Had the original version in the 80s and totally loved it at the time. I can vaguely smell it in my mind's nose :-) even now. It was fruity tempered by spices and what I now know is oakmoss. Not sure if I'd wear it again but, boy, I loved it at the time.

Radiant_smile
Radiant_smile

I was shopping with my mother-in-law in the 1980's, and when we came to the perfume counter she went to spray on a sample of this perfume. She pumped the nozzle several times because she didn't think anything was happening. When she looked down she realized that she had grabbed the lotion and had pumped it all over the front of her coat. Too, too funny!

The lotion smelled great and I asked my husband to buy some for me for Christmas. He purchased the perfume and lotion. The perfume was okay, but I loved the lotion. Anytime I went to visit my mother she would comment on the fragrance, which was usually lingering in the lining of my gloves, from the far side of the room.

Even though the scent was strong, it was one of the few florals I have purchased over the years that I didn't end up washing off after a few hours.

Fre.peo.jas.fig7
Fre.peo.jas.fig7

Smelled like licorice to me. The wierdest fragrance I've ever owned. For some reason I couldn't stop smelling it, putting my nose up to the nozzle over and over again. Umm?

iill1986
iill1986

I close my eyes...

A girl in white evening-dress, pink rose her black, long hair- in the whirl of a ball around 1900.
Dance, rotation and flitting, flower scented skirts.
Lily of the valley and carnation.
Tale from a romantic world.

This for me "Lauren" from 1978- summons an old era.

Powerfully flowery classic perfume.

sillage: 10/10
longevity: 10/10

glorious1
glorious1

I wore this one for years. It was kind of my signature.....I still have some left.

moma4faith
moma4faith

I bought a bottle of Lauren when I was 18 (late 1980's) and I still have part of that bottle left! I wear it when I'm feeling nostalgic. I've never smelled the new formulation, but my bottle smells clean with a touch of heaven.

becka50
becka50

I loved the lotion Ralph Lauren, why did they stop making it. The lotion was better than the perfume, very pleasant and addicting.

TX-in-NH
TX-in-NH

This was my grandmother's only perfume. I would look at it on her dresser. I also got the set for my high school graduation. I never see pineapple in a perfume. Sounds so beautiful. I asked the Macy's lady for a sniff. And it is not the same. Too much of a fake green smell. Bring back the old formula, it was such a unique, classy perfume back in the day.

cryptic
cryptic

I haven't sniffed Lauren since the reformulation, nor do I want to, based on the many negative reports I've come across. It would be like going to a high school reunion and seeing your hottie secret crush for the first time since graduation, only to find out that he'd gone bald and grown a beer gut.

The IFRA strikes again -- I assume this one was ruined by substitutions for oak moss and eugenol. For what it's worth, this used to be a great fragrance.

Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt
Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt

Not really my thing, but I could definently appreciate this beautiful romantic rose perfume, little too soapy on me, however I still like to pull out my vintage bottle and take a sniff now and then, but to actually wear it out? I simply cant, and I'm not all together sure why, lol and yes, the bottle I think is fantastic, love the dark red glas with the gold top, bold square shape, very cool, very retro

SaraBT
SaraBT

It's funny, reading all of the difference descriptions of Lauren's notes. For me, the top note was always melon. The other night when my husband was cutting a watermelon I immediately thought of Lauren and decided to try it again. It had been my favorite in the 70s -- one of the few times I purchased a particular perfume more than once.

I was SO disappointed to find that it was no more. I finally found a bottle of the reformulated stuff and Carnation is right: "A sickenly sharp green nastiness that smells nothing like the original." And I mean NOTHING.

It was as if someone had vandalized a precious work of art. Ralph, bring back the original, please!!!!!

krmarich
krmarich

This debuted Ralph Lauren as a major player in the perfume world. Surprisingly fruity, it set the trend for fruity florals from American houses. Just past the pineapple there is a brilliant nearly tactile floral chypre that seems strangly familiar. It is elegant, flirty and promises confidence.

The violet-lilac-jasmine-rose-carnation heart will never be forgotten. The oakmoss/vetiver lend maturity and sophistication. Its still playful and sexy. If you have the original, treasure it. The current edition is a mishmash of chemicals that ruin its name.

Celebrity=Goldie Hawn as Private Benjamin

aprilmoon
aprilmoon

As a child of the 70's and 80's, I adore this fragrance. To me, it is the epitome of style and class....remember Molly Ringwald had a bottle of it in her purse in "The Breakfast Club?" : )

However, I went into Macy's recently and sprayed some on my wrist...it is not the same as it used to be! Also, the body lotions/creams/powders are all discontinued, which is too bad. I like to layer fragrance and if a perfume doesn't have a lotion or cream available, I don't buy it.

Still, this is a true classic, and reformulated or not, its scent captivates me. If RL ever came out with a gift set of this with a lotion/perfume combo, I would not hesitate to spend the money.

daliflora
daliflora

I had a small bottle of this many years ago, but I completely diskiled it. I remember the pineapple combined with green notes and rose-wood created right from the beginning an odd soapy smell that I couldn't bear.

Daisy Nirmal
Daisy Nirmal

My mum wore this classic fragrance and it seemed so wonderfully sophisticated and feminine to me back then. I would love to have the original - just to remind me of her. not available in the UK (as far as I know ...)

takeasniff
takeasniff

What does the new reformulated bottle look like? In Australia we have heaps in the chemist for sale they are tall skinny bottles and only $24. I noticed the one on here is a small square? Could anyone tell me what the original one is supposed to look like?

Moonglowone
Moonglowone

I still adore this maybe because it was the first beautiful gift set my mother gave me for a birthday and it came in a collector's tin along with body lotion and shower gel. It's a lovely scent. A Classic.

Angel10
Angel10

LOVE the original. Fantastic summer fragrance, formal fragrance, anytime fragrance.

One of THE most elegant fruity florals of all time.

***DO NOT BUY THE NEW ONE, MUST BE VINTAGE!***

twillocks
twillocks

I tried it today and it screams Jasmine. I like it okay but not enough to buy.

Carnation
Carnation

I first smelled this in 1982 and immediately fell in love with it. I haden't smell this since 1985 so I visited a local Macy's a year and a half ago and was shocked. Where was that wonderful fruity/woody/floral that I had been taken with so many years ago? In that bottle was a sickenly sharp green nastiness that smells nothing like the original. For a on the money description, please read Perfumes The Guide by Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez.

AjaBlue
AjaBlue

Loved the original. Pretty, pretty girls wore it in high school and I purchased a tiny purse sized spray with my own money. The original is simply gorgeous, unique, feminine and interesting. However, the reformulation...as with all others, is flat and boring. No longer in love with Lauren. Too bad. Why do they have to change good things?

I found an old bottle of Lauren stashed away at my aunt's house, so I know it's not the reformulated one everyone talks about. I was so excited to try this on, especially because I was wearing Chanel No.19 on just one of my wrists, which is a very complex mossy, woodsy, floral. I thought it would be fun to compare since there are similar notes in Lauren.

This might not make me very popular on this thread, but I was really disappointed in the fragrance. It was like one big blob of what honestly smelled like weeds. Dandelions and that grassy, sharp carnation base. I couldn't detect anything elegant like moss or vetiver. Nothing fruity either, like some people mentioned. After reading all of the reviews here, I guess I expected a masterpiece. There may be a lot of notes in it, but that doesn't mean it is complex. Lauren never developed on my skin, and I left it on for a couple of hours.

Oh well--it's one fragrance I can knock off of my Wanted list.

mightymarshal
mightymarshal

This is tied with Romance as my favorite Ralph Lauren fragrance for females. It's floral and fresh, and smells like the spring. Like a street fair flower stand.

arg1971
arg1971

Another perfume I had a lifetime ago thought it smelled nice at the time for a older person at that time. A well to do lady my Aunt worked for was cleaning out some things in her house and she gave me a bottle of this perfume. I was only about 17 maybe at that time

guest_narigudo
guest_narigudo

sem vergonha alguma eu confesso : lauren foi o meu primeiro perfume importado . lá no longínquo 1987 . tudo bem , surrupiado de minha mãe . uma delícia de floral . concordo com uma usuária . ralph laure ainda não fez nada melhor para as mulheres. uma pena que seja raro nas perfumarias brasileiras,mesmo na internet . mulheres , comprem . é poder líquido.

enigma_33
enigma_33

The one and only inimitable perfume in this world....

sunshineandroses
sunshineandroses

This was my sister's fave back in the 80s. I really liked the floral without too much sweetness to it. I was tempted to buy some for myself when I got her a bottle of it for Christmas. I didn't want to take over her favorite though. Maybe she has a new favorite now and I can wear it.

ronnieroo88
ronnieroo88

My mother used to wear this scent when I was growing up. I remember it smelling really fresh and floral, yet somewhat deep and murky at the same time.

I think I'll try wearing it on myself sometime soon :)

I've worn this since I was 16 when it first came out. My daughter loved it and she now wears it.

Aredore
Aredore

I've been fighting the urge to buy this, trying to convince myself that it's not my era, too old, reformulated etc, etc. However, even the new watered-down version is so much more interesting than 90% of perfumes today. The scent is delightfully off-kilter and utterly different from the fruity florals that are popular with young women today.

I'll be picking it up, very likely, next time I see it in the store.

vialon3
vialon3

With Original formulas being changed, it is very hard to know how to comment on what is offered in the same packaging today?? Lauren formula of the 1980's was beautiful and I honored it as my choice of bridal scent. Oh my, how I remember the up lift that it gave, until today!!!! However, Lauren perfume -"tweaked"or not- is not offered where I live now so I cannot say more.

harleydavigirl
harleydavigirl

This is one of my favorite fragrance by Ralph Lauren, it nice and clean and airy. Wonderful to have in my collection.

kbrown7070
kbrown7070

Lauren has been my signature fragrance for years; it was my first "designer" fragrance purchase when I was in college. Although I'm tending more towards Chanel fragrances now, I will always love Lauren.

It has a lovely, fresh, grassy/marigold sharpness to it, which softens to a beautiful, strong, softly-spiced and wooded floral. I don't detect the violet notes in it so much but I think "sharp floral" describes this fragrance perfectly. I still think this is the best women's fragrances Ralph Lauren ever made.

ShorTea
ShorTea

Wonderful floral, opens on me with a blast of hyacinth, great for the spring, very "Easter Morning". Settles in to a rich, thick lathering of the best soap you can ever imagine, and topped off with a scoop of cream. A very clean scent. No trace of "dust" in it.

This is my favorite Ralph Lauren. It is utterly classy & green! I am not a great fan of the green category, because most of the time they don't turn out the way I like them.
But this one is!! Together with Yves Rocher Nature, Nina Classic, Jean Louis Scherrer these are my favorite greens!

rosered
rosered

I do love the Classic scent
I wore it in the 80's as a young woman in my early twenies , its heavenly & romantic , truly a soft feminine allure , so many compliments when wearing it as a signature scent back in the Day ha ha!
a Timeless beauty in a bottle
the soft rose and spices an excellent
combination for Ralph Lauren

ojosverdes
ojosverdes

My mother-in-law loves this one she has the one from the 90's. It's a grown up scent, not for young girls. I don't like the opening notes at all very strong smells like green grass, the dry down is pretty, powdery, feminine, sophisticated and it wears close to the skin. This is a very unique scent IMO.

bartenderbabe
bartenderbabe

Spring and summer days, running through a flower garden in a vast backyard, skin getting brown and laughter amongst friends. Swinging on a tire swing, hanging upside down from a tree branch and smiling with toothless grins. Innocence by definition and sweetly floral. To me this is not an adult fragrance at all. It makes me think of childhood and the wistful pining of youth.

Cyndyava
Cyndyava

I did love this one. But like one reviewer said so well above, once she leaves something, she leaves it forever. I am the same way. I loved it in the eighties. Two beautiful arab twins in my high school wore it. It was their signature scent and it was addicting. I don't know if I want to smell like this anymore, but it was and I imagine still is lovely. I love the bottle...so classic and feminine.

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

Very nice scent but I couldn't ware it again after the early eighties. When I walk away from something, I leave it forever. Memories are locked in and put away forever. This is a very classic classy scent though!

guest_alexanna7
guest_alexanna7

Love the pineapple rose viole santal wood and the opulence in this one.!i recently found it again!and was thrill to find it at a store when i thought it was gone!

Ari
Ari

This fragrance invokes memories of college for me. Back then every girl wore this and every guy wore "polo." At the outset this fragrance had an original green, fruity fragrance. After four years of smelling it on everyone, needless to say, not a scent for me. But, ah the memories..

hollycat
hollycat

Lauren is a classic for me. It evokes such wonderful memories because I remember I got a bottle for Xmas when I was a teenager. Its not a stand out scent, but it is nice, warm, fresh, green and a little spicy. Just looking at the bottle with the gold cap speaks to me. I looks like a bottle for the Holidays.

amelie

Lauren is delicate, very elegant and classy! Green and sharp top notes, later to become soft as the finest cream, a bit powdery.
My kind of perfume, reminded me of Estee and even somewhat of Aliage, but Lauren is softer compared to Aliage. Lauren is green, but in a stylish way.
Excellent perfume for going out in the theater, sublime, very elegant, perfume with personality. I haven't seen it for a long time in perfumery.

Malegria
Malegria

A little rough around the edges, like RL perfumes in general - but lovely. Softens down to a mossy green sharp floral....

Tala
Tala

Lovely perfume. I would buy it again. It is a very fresh floral and Very unique. I finished the bottle. Tiny bit is left at the bottom. It goes on a bit sharp but it gets better in 10 minutes. It is heaven from beginning to end. this is actually my favorite of all Ralph Lauren's fragrances. I love the bottle too. The simple deep burgundy looks amazing on a dresser.

Feliciaba
Feliciaba

The sweet exotic adventurous aroma of paradise....

Of carefree days spent in Hawaii, walking barefoot through a bamboo rain-forest or climbing atop a mountain to sit in the meadow to be amongst the clouds. Lauren of 1978 will always linger in my mind.

alef
alef

I have never found any other perfume that nears to the class of it! It is classy but not boring, feminine in a very down to earth way, sexy but not nasty, definitely sophisticated. Requires a character to wear it! Very unfortunate that it is so difficult to find it nowadays

pitbull friend
pitbull friend

Thanks, everyone for the information on the old vs. new Lauren! I have a mini of the new. It seems like a perfectly nice combination of suntan lotion and marigolds -- not worth buying a full bottle, but not bad. The old stuff sounds fantastic, though - sorry I missed it the first time around, and I'll have to search it out. What can we do to stop perfume companies from changing formulas without mentioning it on the label? Sometimes I feel ready to give up on perfume collecting, given the games they play with us!

gucci
gucci

i love this one very serious and mature super romantic and can be worn in special occasions i heard but i don't know if this is true that the cap contains 18k gold or 24k gold not im not sure

Lime909
Lime909

Gorgeous bottle. Not really my type of scent, but I remember my best friend wearing this as her signature perfume shortly after it was first released (we were teens at the time and I found it too sweet and heavy).

Now I find it a rather dated smell; time seems to have moved on.

guest_Carmencita
guest_Carmencita

This fragrance evokes memories of childhood, particularly those of my mother smelling so elegant wearing it. Timeless, refined, sophisticated and memorable. I have not tried the new version, but the original version is definitely unforgettable and irreplaceable.

bayviewlib
bayviewlib

This was my signiture scent in the late seventies. I lived in Washington D.C.
It is sophisticated and elegant and I felt beautiful wearing it. Lots of male attention and compliments.

dancam86
dancam86

This is good quality american perfume. When I smell this, I automatically think of a very classy Beverly Hills woman stepping out of a Rolls Royce wearing a gigantic purse and a big hat.

Elegant, classy, refined. Unlike any other women´s perfume I´ve known. Haven´t tried the new version yet, but I highly recommend the original.

essija
essija

I'm shocked to not see more reviews on this one. I have admired women who wear Lauren for years. I myself have never even thought of wearing it. This scent is exactly like woogyjones describes. Very Odd, but Awesome!! A woman who wears this also has a really expensive purse and other accessories.. You know what I mean.. Not just anyone can pull this one off... Theres alot of class in this little brick bottle...

woogyjones50
woogyjones50

Add me to the list of people who have discovered the big difference between classic Lauren and what is passing for Lauren now. I've been wearing Lauren for a very long time-probably since 1984. I always found it to be a unique fragrance and really is unlike any other scent. It is just so different-the odd green-fruity smell it opens with that moves into a lovely but unconventional floral and the nearly mossy drydown all combine to make a truly special (and maybe a little odd) perfume. If you can get your hands on the classic, do so. If for no other reason, I think Lauren is a great example of a beautifully blended, slightly left of center perfume that is different than anything else.

CaraMia
CaraMia

The classic version was indeed better than the current and now also discontinued fragrance. If you want the beautiful crisp floral full of greens and tagetes you better run out and get a bottle of RL Safari before that is gone forever too.

The original Lauren was a jewel.

NebraskaLovesScent
NebraskaLovesScent

This was my first "good" perfume. I received it for Christmas in 1983. At that time, Lauren was a fresh green floral wonder, very different from the heady 1970's oriental scents my mother favored, and a step up from the Love's Baby Soft I had worn prior to receiving this.

I wore this scent off and on through my teens and twenties, then set it aside as I moved into a gourmand phase.

I had heard the original Lauren fragrance had been tweaked in recent years. Finally got a chance to sniff it recently and I noticed a definite difference. It's a pale green ghost of its former self now. The complex mix of fruits, greens and flowers is all but gone. It now smells like a certain geranium-scented household cleaner I sometimes use.

If you can get your hands on the classic version, it's worth its weight in gold!

I don't plan to revisit the new version anytime soon.

Lauren by Ralph Lauren 3.82 out of 5 based on 582 ratings and 114 user reviews

Gift Set 0.34oz
Ralph Lauren The Big Pony Fragrance Collection
Ralph Lauren The Big Pony Fragrance Collection
Eau De Toilette 1oz
Ralph Lauren Big Pony Yellow by Ralph Lauren for Women Eau de Toilette Spray 1.0 oz
Ralph Perfume by Ralph Lauren, 1 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Women
Chaps by Ralph Lauren for Women Eau de Toilette Spray 3.4 oz
Ralph Lauren Big Pony Red by Ralph Lauren for Men Eau de Toilette Spray 2.5 oz
Ralph Lauren Big Pony Red by Ralph Lauren for Men Eau de Toilette Spray 2.5 oz
FragranceShop.com
Ralph Lauren Big Pony Purple by Ralph Lauren for Women Eau de Toilette Spray 1.7 oz
Ralph Lauren Big Pony Blue by Ralph Lauren for Men Eau de Toilette Spray 2.5 oz
Ralph Lauren Big Pony Blue by Ralph Lauren for Men Eau de Toilette Spray 2.5 oz
FragranceShop.com
Ralph Lauren Big Pony Green by Ralph Lauren for Men Eau de Toilette Spray 2.5 oz
FragranceShop.com
Ralph Lauren Big Pony Orange by Ralph Lauren for Men Eau de Toilette Spray 2.5 oz
Big Pony Blue Cologne by Ralph Lauren, 2.5 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Men
Big Pony Blue Cologne by Ralph Lauren - 2.5 oz Eau De Toilette Spray
Big Pony Green Cologne by Ralph Lauren, 2.5 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Men
Big Pony Green Cologne by Ralph Lauren, 2.5 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Men
FragranceShop.com
Ralph Lauren Big Pony Orange by Ralph Lauren TESTER for Men Eau de Toilette Spray 4.2 oz
Ralph Perfume by Ralph Lauren, 1.7 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Women
Big Pony Green Cologne by Ralph Lauren - 2.5 oz Eau De Toilette Spray
Big Pony Green Cologne by Ralph Lauren - 2.5 oz Eau De Toilette Spray
Ralph Perfume by Ralph Lauren - 1.7 oz Eau De Toilette Spray
Ralph Perfume by Ralph Lauren - 1.7 oz Eau De Toilette Spray

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Ralph Lauren Lauren fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Ralph Lauren Lauren, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Lauren by Ralph Lauren. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Lauren by Ralph Lauren represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.