Designers » R S » Woody Chypre « Groups

Polo Ralph Lauren for men

leather
tobacco

Polo is here for fans of beautiful, eternal things. Its name awakens association with a closed circle of the chosen and this circle has its rules and traditions.

As a truly masculine perfume, Polo does not contain floral notes, apart from camomile, which has more grassy than floral scent. The opening of the composition is green and fresh, made of grassy notes of artemisia, basil and thyme, with spicy notes of cumin, coriander and cloves. The heart is strong and masculine as conifer woods, decorated with notes of patchouli, oakmoss and vetiver. The base contains leather, tobacco and thyme, which create a wonderful, intensive trail. Polo is one of the two first perfumes by Ralph Lauren and it was created by Carlos Benaim in 1978.

Artemisia Caraway Coriander Juniper Berries Basil Bergamot

Esencia pour Homme

Polo Fragrance Reviews

Casavulva
Casavulva

Massive powerhouse masculine classic. As elegant as Arnold in his brand new Hummer.

Also comes in bottle size 59 ml. 59?? How strange.

Creating Polo, they put in every conceivable masculine chypre basenote known to mankind at the time - leather, tobacco, amber, musk, oakmoss... And to be certain to win the contest of biggest most masculine fragrance they also put in some patchouli, pepper, vetiver, cedar, heavy herbs and a lot of stuff from animal glands (come on, we all know it's in there). And at the end, one tiny molecule of jasmine.

And then they lost! (To Yatagan, the competition took place in 1978).

I always take a sniff of Polo when I'm at the airport taxfree, to conquer fear of heights. It makes me happy. Polo conquers almost everything. But wearable as a perfume in 2014? Not for me.

8/10 (for what it once was)

seachase

A heads-up for anyone who misses the original formula.
I have discovered that if you put on a very light layer of Issey Miyake's "L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme" and let it dry for about 10 minutes, then spray a layer of the new formula POLO over it, you will have a fairly close version of the original POLO.
Sure, it doesn't smell exactly like that original masterpiece, but it certainly is a closer match than the new formula alone.

camposg
camposg

The current formulation I own is more leathery than it is piney. I see no comparison at all to quorum or sung. Also, there is nothing soapy about this fragrance 10/10 in my book. This bottle is still on display at any department store on the planet, that says a lot

BobbyJ95
BobbyJ95

Fresh soapy sent is what I get from this one. Masculine but not overpowering imo, although many people say this one is. Cannot go wrong with this timeless classic!

calyx93
calyx93

Something is very wrong with the version available today - it's much more subdued and light. There used to be a huge bergamot and pine opening that, with the tobacco, gave a strong wine-like effect. The drydown was all patchouli, pine, tobacco, musk and oakmoss - it had such strength and staying power.

Whatever I spritzed upon my hand at Sephora is like a caricature of what it used to be - it's still quite green, but the pine is less natural, the opening quite insipid and the drydown more urinous.

I'd love to re-experience the original, but I have a feeling that the old versions available on eBay are probably age-deteriorated and wouldn't live up to my original experiences with the scent. So I'll just wax nostalgic and try my best to conjure up the scent in my head. Sigh.

Thomaso7
Thomaso7

great winter fragrance.

Jerry Can
Jerry Can

Another great perfume that is but a shadow of its former self. For me it is unwearable having known the original.

Ralf Lauren Polo, Cacharel PH and Dior's Fahrenheit are three of the most detrimentally affected reformulations I know. In their time, they were incredibly popular - and deservedly so. Now they are olfactory equivalents of faded photographs.

GaryG
GaryG

Frednugentesq, great review! This was my staple fragrance late 1980s in high school. Preppy mullet hair, Z Cavaricci pants, thin aqua tie and tri-color cardigan sweater complete with the leather patches. My dates back then loved this stuff...with their big hair, electric blue mascara with matching 4 inch heels, marinating in Dior Poison...

This fragrance works great on my skin, all year round. Fun memories when splashing this on 25 years later. And my wife likes it, which is a good thing...

frednugentesq
frednugentesq

Rock You Like The 80's
The hallways of my High school were literally shrouded in the green cloud of Polo Green lol.
We were kids. Oblivious to the concept of a little goes a long way. Everyone splashing it on just like it was water.
I think Polo Green is the greatest and most recognizable scent the Ralph Lauren house will ever produce, ever.
Loved it then Love it now.
I wear this scent whenever I feel like it.

seachase

I'm not exactly sure when POLO was re-formulated, but up until then it was hands-down the most perfect cologne ever created for men. There simply wasn't a better cologne on the global market.
Even in it's current state, it's still a force to be reckoned with, but sadly it pales in comparison to the original.

toyin
toyin

The current version is just pure water like was mentioned earlier. Sillage is zero. Its so weak, that i'm not sure it could even be a skin scent.

Don't even think about buying it unless you get a vintage bottle, which i doubt... no one would keep an unused original bottle of this great fragrance.

GMK
GMK

One of the greatest ,A timeless classic masculine, absolutely no doubt about that, a legendary fragrance for men rather Gentlemen regardless of climate , atmosphere and occasion.

I never found it dated or old style though I dont wear it so often but its always a pleasure wearing it especially in summer at work. This fragrance is the epitome of masculinity.

mwafik10

الرائحة 9/10
الثبات9/10 الفوحان9/10
الكمال لله وحده بس فعلا عطر كله على بعضه 10/10

Bbjr

Who should wear this cologne? Old men? Nostalgic folks that want to live I the past? Blah, blah, blah. How about whoever happens to like the way it smells? All this crap about old man scent is bs. The fact is that some of the scents from years gone by are some of the best smelling and longest lasting fragrances ever made.

Jennypennypocket
Jennypennypocket

Love it.

It reminds me of my framed print of a fox hunt with dashing men on horses, wearing their pink (really red, though) jackets, surrounded by dark green woods.

This was the popular Catholic HS scent for all the boys I liked, who didn't wear Drakar Noir, that is. Haha Maybe that's why I like it.....but there were other frags floating around too. The guys who wore them, though, never turned my head, I guess. ;)

binoybcompany
binoybcompany

Had got it a week back have worn it 2 times. In the hot Indian summer i'm loving it smells green, leather & patchouli. That's all i can detect for now. I am confused if i should be wearing it in the summer.

Longevity & Silage are good i guess a sure 8+ hrs. I love the base & the middle notes. Compliments i did get a few it was okay, but no old ladies :) i am not so sure if the younger girls will like it. It smells manly for Leather is a really major player in this.

Pine tree needles i really do not know how it smells thats why i do not detect it still learning. I go 4 spray's on this one i guess that should get u through the day.

Update - Spaying it on my dry skin this scent dries down rapidly at 4 - 6 hrs need to wear it on my shirt i suppose.

Cheers
Binoy

jeffersonfaudan
jeffersonfaudan

the only ralph lauren scent i appreciate...
very green... very masculine... very strong projection... this reminds me of the scent of my father's old hard and heavy samsonite with some moth balls in it but not in a bad way... just like a shirt would smell when it's new and out of the plastic seal...

Bbjr

I don't much like the current version. I purchased not too long ago hoping to recapture that wonderful scent from years ago. No such luck as it's just too sour. Now, what do you know, I'm at the perfume store and I see a box marked as splash!! Bingo, the version by Cosmair and this stuff is truly a masterpiece!!

gargaum
gargaum

"Dated or classic"?
"Pleasant pine or putrid cigar/turpentine"?

I get the "putrid cigar/turpentine" at the opening, but it soon settles down to a pleasant vibe. I consider this one a classic.

It fits the "tough and mature man" persona, so make sure you're dressed properly: jacket, Polo dress shirt, regular fit jeans and dark brown shoes. For both day or evening events, avoid it on warmer weather.

Reminds me of the good ol' Acqua di Selva my father used to wear back in the 80's.

HickorySmoke
HickorySmoke

I used to wear this in my late 20s a lot and became very burnt out on it. But I still get an itch to wear it on occasion.I've received a lot compliments from women of all ages,but mostly slightly mature women. About 1 hour in it becomes very enjoyable to wear. It's guaranteed you will wake up in the morning smelling the lingering scent and what ever clothes you have on will still have its scent up to a week later when you do laundry.

It's a very bold scent/statement.Extremely love/hate with the ladies in my experience wearing it. Just take it easy with this powerhouse of a scent or you will end up in the shower and changing your shirt.

torres71

frenchwhore237, you are crazy) don't say that!

Marciu

My father was using this fragrance a lot when I was a kid. I remember I loved this smell but in the same time it was too sharp and too rough for me.
Now I guess my taste has become a lot more mature and refined, I guess. I'm loving it and I'd say it's very sophisticated.
It opens up on me with the strong pine and mix of florals with herbs. It's more potent than most of 'modern' fragrances available on market. Later on it dries down to leather, patchouli and tobacco but you can still detect pine and floral aromas. Patchouli and tobacco are very strong in this drydown.

Because of the strength of Polo's sillage, I go with two sprays: one on the front of the neck and one on wrist, then I tap wrists together. It is a beast - on my skin it lasts 12-16 hours and sillage is enormous during 6 hours.

Probably it was reformulated more than once but the current version is a true gem amongst fragrances. I'm loving it and it will be my next buy probably.

drlaurel
drlaurel

my first true wood love that i sprayed on my pillow and dreamed about rob lowe, adam ant and robert downey jr.....until one day....the garbage man started wearing it and it lingered by the cans for hours after he left. it became such a hit that EVERYBODY wore it. and i lost my infatuation. i wonder if i caught a wiff of it today if I'd be transported back to the days of my pillow or the day when it all went wrong. i'm curious enough to purchase a vintage on ebay and try it on my husband. Robert D still looks good enough.

mrjohnburns
mrjohnburns

This juice is wonderful with warm woody and spicy notes. It's projection is amongst the best out of the many fragrances I have been privileged to use. Extremely long lasting top quality nectar from RL.

Jay T
Jay T

Polo était exactement ce que je cherchais. Très forte, grande projection et un peu désagréable. L'ouverture était trompeuse, il semblait très vert, mais le début caché, un coeur de fumée sale. J'ai presque passé sur ce parfum en pensant qu'il était trop vert pour moi, mais quand je suis retourné pour lui donner une seconde chance, j'ai découvert que c'est la vraie beauté. Il semblait exactement comme un cendrier sale. Parfait à mon avis.

Marciu

I love this scent. Truly.

On my skin it is very complex, like almost all "powerhouses" from 70's and 80's but not outdated at all. Wearing this one I feel like I'm in the middle of the forest, wearing leather jacket and smoking cigarettes. Oh, and it's the second fragrance, along with Kouros that I feel so much oakmoss in.

The sprayer works perfect, so I use 2 sprays on my neck. That gives me about 12 hours longevity. Sillage is good during first 8 hours, then it sticks a little more to the skin.

I've tested the Modern Reserve version one time. But unfortunately I don't remember how that one smelled.

I heard someone said this new version smells like an ashtray to him. Well, I understand the comparison, but I don't get so much tobacco on my skin.

This is the best "forest-like" fragrance ever made.

missan
missan

I found an old bottle from Cosmair, will be interesting.

bjl8691
bjl8691

I love this scent a true classic its longevity and sillage are great

wkws1404
wkws1404

My other half wears this every day. It is a very harsh tone at first but it lasts all day and all night. I love how he smells.

crunker
crunker

Polo Green is, in my opinion, the best of the best. I remember growing up in the 80s and 90s, you couldn't walk into a department store without seeing some kind of promotion for Polo Green. I remember walking into my parents' room as a kid after my dad left for work in the morning and smelling the rich aroma every time. It has it all--it's clean, refined, and sophisticated, yet rugged and ultra-masculine, strong and vibrant, and downright in-your-face. It's a Fortune 500 CEO that works as a lumberjack on the weekends. Opening notes of heavy spice, cedar, and pine. The drydown is more of the same. Walk into a room wearing this and EVERYONE will notice. Be ready to welcome the compliments.

Polo Green is for the real man. It's for the man that gets up early, works balls to the wall all day and comes home smiling and laughing. It's for the guy that isn't afraid of anything. It's for the handful of true gentlemen left in today's world. It's no sissy's cologne. It's not for high school kids and it's not for the new-age crowd that conforms to the world. It's for those who were raised to be true men. The ones with the big cahunas and the hairy chests. The ones that believe in morals and values and love for GOD and family.

When your woman smells this, she'll be reminded of her father who was always there for her growing up. The man that put together her doll houses and was always there to fix something in the house if it should break. The man that drove the family to church on Sunday mornings and was flipping burgers on the grill in the afternoon. The man that taught her what true love is. Each spray of Polo Green is a storybook of memories and it screams "There's still hope for the men in this world." Look up "Men's Cologne" in the dictionary...there will be no description. Simply a picture of Polo Green.

rum
rum

Polo "Green" as I like to call it is a superb, masculine, designer fragrance that will forever remain a classic. Launched in 1978 if I recall correctly, this fine scent works a treat in the winter/cooler months and requires barely a couple of sprays to last the entire day. For an Eau de Toilette, and as you would expect from a 70s power house fragrance, this lasts a long time.
The bergamot, juniper berry and basil (yes, basil!!!) are quite loud in the opening, but the masculine concoction of the Musk / Tobacco / Patchouli base soon kicks in. I get a pine note in there too. I know vetiver is listed in the base, but to my nose I don't detect any. Very woody, very masculine. Just don't overspray!!

kirby1445
kirby1445

As a young guy (I'm in my early 20's), this fragrance is in the outer limits of what I would wear. For any young guy, I would say wait for the drydown before you judge. It comes off as very pine like for the first half hour to a hour. But the dry down partially makes up for it. Initially your nose will be dominated by leather, tobacco and patchouli.

The scent has AMAZING sillage, projection, and longevity. So much so that it is the strongest in my collection. It reeks of power and masculinity, however it is not suitable for guys my age. Most girls I know do not like this fragrance because of its overpowering and almost "old-man" smell. Even in weaker dosages, the fragrance still is too strong. However with that being said, the women 30yrs+ love this.

The only time I use it is if I need to blend it with another fragrance. Usually with some kind of aromatic or floral fragrance, this usually appeases my own nose as well as those around me.

stromboli77

Masculinity in a bottle. Has a strong potential to knock people out completely if over applied. Just go easy on the trigger and you will be pleasantly surprised. The opening is rough….very bitterly potently green, almost as if its burning but after about 30 minutes to an hour the floral heart notes become more apparent and smooth out the pine, tobacco, and leather more aeromatically. This is without question the perfect outdoors scent on a cold winter's night or for going on an outdoorsy adventure during the day. I would avoid it in the warmer months but only if you are going to a wedding or a formal event. For some weird reason this scent does not work for me in the morning but any other time of the day I love it. It definately has a very formal feel to it. I don't consider this a daily wear scent.

I've been wearing this for over 20 years. I'm 36 and I can tell you I've gotten lots of compliments over the years. I can always remember back in the 80's going up to the fragrance counter and smelling this and loving it! So I have a sentimental weakness for it because it brings back a lot of memories. So for nostalgia's sake and for good taste I give this one two thumbs up.

vicvic
vicvic

I had a chance to test a new bottle of Ralph Lauren Polo. It still has that classic bottle but the juice inside is not the powerhouse I remember from the 80's. I don't know if it has been reformulated. The new scent is more refined but a bit spicy than the original and less aromatic. I thought I smelled a hint of lavender from the initial spray.

roll4fun

This review is a revision(reversal) of my September writeup due to test spray being better the second time around.
The first time I sprayed on wrist after having walked from ~ 90 degree parking lot hike into an air conditioned store. Probably a bit of sweat still on wrist a possible factor in negative experience.
Most recent test spray happened on cool fall evening, test spray on inner elbow. This time, I got the "good" side of the flipping cube on the pleasant pine vs putrid cigar/turpentine equation. I was pleasantly surprised with some moderately strong leather/piney notes that pretty much stayed constant for 4-5 hours. This test culminated in me buying a Polo coffret set with 3 1oz.ish bottles (Blue,Black, and "Green").
On todays earlier wearing: 2 neck sprays, got moderately strong projection in that I could smell "Polo" on myself for up to 2 hours. I did a quick elbow spray at same time for scent life gauging. For the first hour I got very predominant piney notes that gradually evolved into a more leather like aroma. The remainder of "Polo" life (6 hrs. today) was a 3 way tug of war between leather, patchouli/musk, and cedar for most prominent notes.
I'm still trying to figure out "Polo", for now I'm giving this a positive endorsement for a fall, or evening frag to reach for now and then.

Shemarie
Shemarie

This smells wonderful on my outdoorsy nature loving man. It is green and fresh. A little goes a long way. If you over spray you will smell straight out of the 80's. Love it.

haristondo
haristondo

For mature audience...!!!! It reminds me my dad and grandpa.

pronose
pronose

a true timeless classic! unpaired since! simply perfect and unique in everyway!!!!!! very classy and a must for any classy man of course!

mark2828
mark2828

first wore this one when I was 17 and loved it .. thinking back now ( I'm 33 now) it was possibly too mature I never revisited this aftershave until recently when I won a bottle on ebay for a pretty decent price ... it is a monster and lasts forever on my skin , clothes and pretty much everything that I touch lol , the smell is a very nice woody , green smell and again for me this is a frag to be worn for formal events or to your inlaws for dinner or a visit to your parents ... def not a scent to go clubbing .. one of my favs though ... and yes at 17 yrs old I did wear it out and still had a pretty good hit rate with the girls so who knows maybe you could give it a go on night out !!

roll4fun

"Polo" did leave the strongest impression on me of the 3 frags tested- and not in a good way.
To paraphrase an eminent members question of "fresh piney aroma vs. cigar butts dipped in turpentine", the later won out in my case. My initial impression was that of insect repellant and fertilizer mixed together. The initial pungency wore off somewhat after 10 minutes.
Somewhere between the 2 and 3 hour point, the fresh piney notes finally won out. By then the strength had faded a bit- I actually got a mixture of pine/cedar notes with a hint of leather/tobacco thrown in. For me, the "reward" isn't worth the wait, particularly with so many fragrances out there that are good from start to finish. I'm passing on this one.

zachparks1
zachparks1

This fragrance is definitely for winter, but like others have said, it's also good for summer nights. First ~10 minutes smells like cigar ash, but after that, it's smooth sailing. Rather, smooth hiking. Polo smells very woodsy, spicy, and there's just enough tobacco smell. It lasts a very long time and is definitely a good fragrance for the price you can get it for.

Smell: 8/10
Projection: 8/10
Sillage: 8/10
Price for what you get: 10/10
Total: 8.6/10

A definite buy.

I love this cologne. Definitely a winter scent, but I will occasionally wear it in the summer, especially night outings.

I get a spicy woods and tobacco scent. It truly is nice. It lasts on my skin all day and has really good projection, especially the first 3 hours.

wonderlife
wonderlife

Polo Green, a true classic! Friendly throwback from days past. I'm an 80's baby so, for me it was the 90's. Dad and Grand-dads always had this in the medicine cabinet. Couldn't help but purchase a travel size today for old times sake. It takes me back. A mans cologne in the truest sense of the word. Nostalgic.

Be Advised: Do NOT over apply Polo Green. IT'S RANCID

Edit:
Granted this is a classic, there is still plenty of room for improvement. There are elements in the initial burst that need to be kept up, and other elements, like I don't know what, maybe the leather/tobacco combo in the dry-down that just needs to go away. I'm confident in saying that I'm not the only person here who believes Polo Green is due for a reform.

sranjit
sranjit

i agree with Sparks. you need to be really patient for the first hour or so until that strange burnt ash note fades. The middle and base notes are far more pleasant. it lasts quite long; i could smell it on my shirt even after 15 hours!

gsevrain
gsevrain

Fragancia muy rica, sin duda de los mejores polo de Ralph Lauren, un perfume que volveria a tener. Durabilidad entre 4 hs y 6 hs para usarlo de dia y de noche, en dias frescos se aprecia mucho mejor su aroma. Calificacion General 8/10.

jht4060
jht4060

Raph Lauren Polo is a remarkable and unique scent, with legend, olfactory controversy, and history galore; a sharp herbal aromatic scent that takes no prisoners and is proud of it. It is one of the first American-made perfumes to make it big and it has American stereotype written all over it - big, bold, honest, outdoorsy, ingenious.

Does the first hour smell sharply piquant and piney fresh or like a cigar butt soaked in turpentine? I vote for piquant but then once in a while it does the olfactory version of the flipping cube illusion. The rapier cut of an overdose of artemisia and thyme. The sharp top very gradually fades to a beautiful austere oakmoss, patchouli, and vetiver base that is worth the wait even if you aren't wild about the top notes. If you want something similar but a bit less aggressive in the top notes you could try Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme.

The release notes given above are rather amusing - the repeated insistence on how masculine the scent is and that there are no florals (oh except one, but it isn't *really* a floral!). Perhaps the notes come from an American era when most men who wore perfume were gay and being gay was an illness. How times have changed.

I love it, but Polo is not a scent for a first date or maybe even for any date. For me it is the perfect cool or cold weather outdoors scent.

Perfumer artistry: 10 / 10
Customer consensus: 1 / 10 :-)

OneRedRose
OneRedRose

Aweful!!! My Dad used to wear this back in the 1990s... and whenever he did, it always made me think of Raid insect repellant spray. Very nauseous scent for me.

Ben's Aldehyde
Ben's Aldehyde

To many people, Polo is Eau de Preppie. I'm too young to know what preppies smelled like, so I can't comment on that association.

To me, Polo is the scent of men in tweed coats returning from a manly outing across wood and heath (involving guns, perhaps, or very large walking sticks) on a cold, misty November day to smoke their pipes and warm themselves before the fire in a comfortably-furnished den. I can smell the old leather chairs (and the soap used to clean them). It's all very romantic.

True, it's also what I imagine the English professors of my grandparents' day smelling like, but that -- in its own dusty, academic way -- is also rather romantic. If CS Lewis and JRR Tolkien took a walk through the woods together, they'd return smelling like Polo.

(This review is for a bottle manufactured in 2008.)

kamilleisamansname
kamilleisamansname

Dark, complex, spicy, and masculine. This was one of the few colognes my grandad would wear, definitely has an old-school vibe to it. The smokiness from the leather, cedar, musk, and tobacco notes that come with the drydown makes for one powerhouse of a fragrance. Classic, if a bit dated.

RobbieX

One of the best men's fragrances in the world. Potent, fresh, full of character and unique. A masterpiece in my opinion.

mridul99
mridul99

Verily a magnum Opus! Very authentic and super masculine yet fresh & super intriguing. The best part is that one can use this one in all seasons and all occasions.
One of the all time best and also a must to have pour Homme fragrance in my opinion.

Honestly no words can describe how good this fragrance is. Like i Said - A MAGNUM OPUS!

anguslairdmcangus
anguslairdmcangus

OVERALL RATING: * * * * *

One of the classic power-scents of the 1980's, Polo seems to have aged better than some of its peers. Every time I wear it, I end up asking myself, "Why don't I wear THIS more often?" It is strikingly beautiful, masculine, original, and complex.

Pine, leather, juniper, and oakmoss are the predominant notes to my nose. Then tobacco-soaked patchouli and pepper. This is a fragrance for cold winter nights. An absolute masterpiece on the same level as Yatagan, Rive Gauche PH, Azzaro PH, Le 3e Homme, and Antaeus.

Sillage: 5/5

ImpishLisa
ImpishLisa

A timeless winner. Loved it in the 80's. Love it still.
It lasts. On his clothes. On his sheets. On your skin after ...yeah. Great stuff.

fan.of.devin
fan.of.devin

A classy, outdoorsy, rustic masculine statement. I picture an older gentleman dressed in wool wearing this at a hunting lodge or yacht club.

WRS67
WRS67

I used to wear this back in the 80's, and in my opinion it's a classic. It might be dated, but it has stood the test of time. It's comparable to what Channel no. 5 is for women. No one's collection should be without Polo.

hogan00
hogan00

very strong fragrance. smells woodsy, earthy, and mossy. probably for a more mature audience.

Brahmsfourth
Brahmsfourth

Very masculine, "green," attractive and POTENT. A little goes a long way. The introductory paragraphs above say there are no floral notes in Polo, other than chamomile. The notes pictured, however, show jasmine, rose, carnation and geranium. Aren't those florals?

Soulpips
Soulpips

So I have been nagging hubby silly about his choice of Polo Blue. that aquatic stuff should be on my shelf and not his. This week, I am going to get him a bottle of MANLY polo green. It's got great silage and longevity too. Toast to POLO GREEN.

bubblenuts
bubblenuts

I absolutely love this but its not great with my own garliccy chemistry. I prefer it on an occasional smoker in an office cotton shirt. Anyone dousing themselves in it will be very dissapointed tho, it only works in the tiniest of doses so that an occasional whiff captures the senses. Its so instantly recogniseable once you know what it is but youll end up having to ask the guy wearing it what it is if you dont already know what it is as its so beautiful and earthy in its manliness and you just want to smell it again and again. Not good for a night on the town as it wont mix with other heady scents and deos or food out and about and is best kept for the office or daytime and making people wanting to get to sniff you as you exude heaven on earthyness as you waft past on the way to the photocopier.
To me it never dates and i can only imagine some of the posters on here have been using it wrongly or mixing with deos etc to come out with such negativity for it.

sensitivenose
sensitivenose

Masculine and real. This maybe old school but its one of the best made. The dry down is wonderful. Woody, rich and green. Smells like money!

benpaul12
benpaul12

Have smelt this on a work colleague for about a year and finally asked him what he wears. I finally asked because I could now tell it was a cologne - as I had previously always thought it was a deodorant, like Brut or Old Spice.

Finding out that it was Ralph Lauren made me think more of this smell, which shows I am a little shallow. In the end, I guess I just think this is dated and now a common smell with deodorants.

I don't think it's offensive, but it has had its day.

torres71

grdowntown20, you're a notorious man!

grdowntown2020
grdowntown2020

Polo Ralph Lauren is a rare classic that is nonetheless very dated. If you are nostalgic for the 1980's and the preppy look, then go for it. Wearing even a small amount of the cologne can send an entire room of people searching for the exit wondering WHO THE HELL POURED ON A WHOLE BOTTLE of the '80s in the room. Best left to VH-1 and F-list celebrities. In its day, this was the bomb, but its day left the building. I would never wear this cologne in public because it just screams outdated and LOUD. It's one very strong loud cologne. Every one in a while I do like to smell the scent because it takes me back in time to being in high school. That makes me sad because even though I would sometimes wear Polo Ralph Lauren to school, and everyone who was anyone did, I was still very much a hated person. Perhaps, it was because of the cologne. It is more likely that it was just fashionable then to hate gay people and openly harass them.

LanceDior
LanceDior

80's: Polo - now irreverent masculinity
90's: Drakkar Noir - 'didn't have time to shower, so I went boxing instead'
00's: Fierce - clean, boyish, but still knows it will grow into a man someday
10's: One Million - 'I wish I was born in Vietnam, where it's acceptable for men to pretend to be women.'

IsaIsabella
IsaIsabella

NOTE
The reformulated version in stores is a far cry from the vintage formulas.
The newer versions smell like a green tobacco leathery mess with sharp acrid notes screaming in different directions. The disappearance of oakmoss really killed this.

----------
Review:

I uncovered two vintage bottles my father used to use.

This opens up green and mossy. Initially a faint green scent, it morphs into something dark but every now and then I can catch the whiff of fresh grass or leaves that are just so softly sweet. The tobacco is there, giving this scent a rather spicy, dark edge to it. Oakmoss is the dominant note on my skin - so damp, so mossy, and rather "dirty", giving that whole edgy feel to it.

Very classy, the scent of a refined man that's nothing like the whiny, girly men we see today.

I'd buy a bottle for my boyfriend, if only I didn't associate it with my father. I feel protected when I smell this, but I don't think I'll ever feel turned on by it. I feel strong when I wear this as a female.

Longevity is fantastic! Fantastic! The work of a good fragrance. Sillage is moderate for hours. So, so beautiful.

P.S: I'm a 19 yo female.

marioslg3
marioslg3

one of the masterpieces of the perfume industry....a pure male perfume, classy, strong, manly and attractive. so many years after the release, nothing else smells like this this. it has the right amount of dirtiness, sweetness, leather and herbs. the composition is so amazing that make this perfume recognizable and draws attention and from women who do not like old fashioned perfumes. i used to wore this in my early 20's, now I'm 38 and still using it from time to time. the devotion of the wearer and polo is for ever.
The perfume of mature men...

augustobt
augustobt

Honestly, this is one of the fragrances that I dislike the most. If I were 40 years older, maybe I'd like it...

Polo is a controversial yet legendary fragrance. I really like it despite its heaviness. I'm actually quite sad to see it relegated to the discount stores. Polo is easily one of Ralph Lauren's better masculines.

The opening of Polo is super strong and almost dated in its approach. A fair amount of patience is required in order to enjoy the heart and drydown. Thankfully, once settled, Polo is a smooth, delicious and woodsy aromatic.

The most dominant accords to my nose are the pine needles, tobacco, amber and patchouli. It almost smells like a Thierry Mugler fragrance, in that strong, chocolatey kind of a way.

I honestly cannot stop sniffing Polo, and I have been utterly enchanted by it since the heavy top notes faded. It's a pity that Polo has decreased in popularity over the years. It still deserves to be at the top.

None of my family members nor past lovers ever wore Polo, so I have no nasty associations when smelling it. To me it's new and exquisite. I wouldn't mind wearing it myself, as it's not so masculine that a woman should steer clear of it. I highly recommend.

Maggie_Everk123
Maggie_Everk123

This fragrance has a very woodsy smell. It is a great choice for men wishing to impress the ladies who loves nature and the woods! (There are still many woman out there who like that sort of stuff!) Getting back to the cologne--its is a masculine scent that is very strong. My one caution is to not over-aply! The longevity of the fragrance is great!

browne54
browne54

IMO deserved place in the top 10 most classic scents of all time. Very woodsy and very masculine. Gives off a dirty pine, earthy, leathery scent, yet manages to remain refined and crisp. I absolutely love this fragrance, but it is definitely for a mature taste. I am 25 and this has been a favorite of mine for years. However if you are a young man be careful which situation you find yourself in with this one because if you are looking for compliments among a younger crowd you will get something to the effect of "father smell". I love the fragrance, I think it is truly a masterpiece and I will wear it all my life but we sadly live in the age of shitty aquatics like Aqua di Gio and feminine-smelling synthetics such as 1 million (and all the masses do not care that they are all wearing the exact same cologne). But if you want to stand out, smell timeless and confident, and ah...oh yeah like a man! then give this one the sniff it deserves.

Possum-Pie
Possum-Pie

This was my first fragrance purchase back in 1983. It was reformulated somewhere along the way, the opening notes seem different, but the dry-down is exactly the same. A wonderful pine/leather fresh scent that is immediately recognized as Polo. This inexpensive gem has rightly stood the test of time.

pianist75
pianist75

this is a excelent power house!! strong but yet not a sillage monster like people say also price is ...anyway. ive rather wear yatahan or Eloge du traitre from etat libre d”orange...much better frags than this. wear a nice suit an spray polo you will get noticed in a good way. MAN FASHION NOT BOYS!!!

ajay.acharyakv
ajay.acharyakv

Fragrance lasts, Lasts & Lasts.... if you sprayed on your clothes, you will notice that it stays on & on for days.

Kain
Kain

It's my second review on this fragrance.
A few years back when I tested it out, it was a horrible experience for me, but now, completely different opinion on this fragrance!
That's strange right?!
Now I think it's one of the best green fragrances that I've smelt in my life.
A classic masterpiece that smell a little dated, but still very elegant and masculine for a real gentleman with an expensive tie and suit!
The opening of this fragrance is very sharp and strong piney green smell, followed by dry and bitter leather smell. It does have a green and bitter smell with small amount of sweetness in the background.
In the dry down, that piney and bitter green smell settled down and now it’s time for tobacco, leather, floral and some woodsy notes to shine.
The tobacco and leather notes are not smoky in this fragrance. They smell green and bitter because of many green notes. beside these notes you can smell stronger sweet and floral notes as well.
In the base that green piny smell is completely gone and you have a sweet powdery floral smell with slight amount of leather in the background.
Both projection and longevity is good.
راستش این دومین بررسی من راجع به این عطر هست
اولین بار که چند سال پیش اینو تست کردم از بوش متنفر شدم ولی سمپلشو دور ننداختم و نگه داشتم
حالا که امسال بو کردم نظری کاملا متفاوت با نظر قبلی راجع به این عطر دارم
یه عطر با بوی سبز و گیاهی و البته بسیار تلخ و تند و تیز که یه مقدار بوش قدیمیه اما بوی بسیار عالی و مردانه ای داره و خوراک تریپ رسمی کت و شلوار هست برای یه آدم جدی و مصمم مثل مدیرها و رئیس ها
بوی اولیه این عطر بوی گیاهی و سبز هست که بوی برگهای درخت کاج رو میده و بسیار قوی و تلخ هست
بوی چرم رو هم میشه تو این عطر حس کرد اما بوی چرم اینجا دودی و مدرن نیست. بوی تلخ و کلاسیکی داره که البته ضعیفه فعلا
در ادامه بوی تلخ درخت کاج ضعیفتر میشه اما همچنان وجود داره و بوی چرم و کمی تنباکو بیشتر به مشام میرسن و مقدار کمی هم رایحه چوب این ترکیب رو همراهی میکنه
در کنار این رایحه ها مقدار مشخصی رایحه های شیرین و رایحه گلها هم به مشام میرسه
در رایحه پایه بوی تلخ و سبز و گیاهی تقریبا از بین رفته و شما به بوی شیرین ترکیب شده با رایحه گلها دارین که مقدار کمی رایحه چرم اونارو همراهی میکنه
شیرینی عطر تو این مرحله تقریبا حالت پودری داره
یه عطر جدی با بوی بسیار خوب
پخش بو و ماندگاری خوبی داره

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

I'm not a big fan of the green, piney top notes in this one, but I do like the base notes - a nice, aromatic tobacco and leather scent. My wife likes it, too and says she can probably live with it. Also, a little goes a long way... no need to overspray.

But I don't plan to acquire it. I suspect that to women my daughter's age I'll smell like an enormous fourteen year-old. This stuff was (and perhaps still is) quite popular among the middle school crowd.

Also - I'm mildly allergic to it. The first time I sprayed it on, after a few hours, I felt rather itchy. To confirm I tried it again.. and yes, I feel somewhat itchy again. I know grass makes me itch mildly - maybe this and that share a common molecule.

Moneypenny9971
Moneypenny9971

I love this scent on a man. However, it must be worn by a man with the right chemistry in the right amount otherwise you get Pine-Sol. This scent will always evoke my early high school days as I still remember how my high school crush, Joe Plante, smelled of Polo as did his warm jacket that he so kindly draped over my shoulders one night when we were at a football game, hanging out....as friends. He wore Polo perfectly. Le sigh....such memories!

krmarich

I tracked down a vintage bottle after much searching. I gave a spray and WOOSH! It is 1986 all over again. In the day I wore Kouros and Grey Flannel mostly and my style was very bohemian. My clothes were smart, yet mostly from vintage clothing stores. The anchor stores at the mall were mainly for fragrance shopping for myself.

There was this peculiar designer label trend known as "preppy". I wasnt one, yet most people at my university dressed this way with Ralph Lauren the most sought after label. Lauren-that I loved, yet the ladies who wore it were snobs and wouldnt give me the time of day. Every man smelled like Polo. They always seemed to be in fraternities and looked down on me. The 1980s had so much character, and this was a fine example of it.

So, on spring break 1986, I went to Florida, and picked up a bottle of Polo and sprayed it liberally. Heads turned on the beaches as I walked by and my goal was the Salvador Dali Museum. I returned untanned and still feeling like a celebrity. Polo was the theme of the trip. I successfully "stole" it from the preppies and turned it into a museum stroll and hot club essence later. I never used it again back on campus.

As for the fragrance itself, it is Aramis 900 revisited and amplified. It was produced in Europe and quietly imported to Rodeo Drive. A potent, heady chypre that lasts for days. Think of Aromatic Elixer with tobacco flower and lots of leather, lost in a dense pine forest. Its depth is unfathomable and quite rugged. A little scary, right? Its murder in small spaces, especially cramped classrooms or airplanes.

Its immediatly recognizable, and since its disappearance, very rare in public today. The nose Carlos Benaim himself regrets its strength. It was a goldmine and built an empire, which has since declined.

Yes, it works better on tall dark rugged mountain men who you might find hiking in the mountains, not the snobby prep school types in their private clubs. It is the quitessential American male scent. I think the Marlboro man or Grizzly Adams fits it best. Many reviews below are pointing it in this direction. This look is as rare as Polo now a days.

This revisit is nostalgic and pleasant today, given the short few weeks it was in my life. I came of age in Chaps, enjoyed one bottle of Monogram and adored Safari. Polo isnt so bad after all this time and oddly the association of its memories have faded. Abercrombie and Fitch usurped Ralph Lauren and the old anchors stores that carried it are closed forever. Polo in its original form was sex in a bottle. This one is for the history books. Dont bother with the current reformulation.

twlahue

Amazing Stuff, just go easy on the trigger.

denhendricks
denhendricks

Have had the same bottle for about 15 years don't like it. Once in a while will spray it on for a change up and remember why I dislike the smell.

dancinleroy
dancinleroy

I am in my mid 20's. The first time I smelled this and realized what this was, was about 6 years ago and one of my Sergeants in the Army told me it was the best cologne out for men. he kept it in his car and all I remember was smelling pine trees and vanilla-like odor. I thought, this is definitely an old man's scent as he grew up in the 80's and told me his father wore it as well. Last year, while visiting a beach in Georgia a 22 year old man was wearing this stuff ( a little too heavily) and I knew I smelled it from somewhere only it smelled a little sweeter and more modern like gucci guilty. i asked him what it was and he said Polo Green. Now, having smelled it on 2 people and liking it both times, I went to Macy's to test it out on my skin and it smelled so strong and piney and dated. I went home and smelled my wrist about 4 hours later and I felt this euphoric feeling of just comfort. It is a fragrance that I've smelled on men all my life and I associate it with a comfortable familiar feeling. Women tell me their fathers or uncles wore it and it associates them with familiarity and comfort as well. I will enjoy the hell out of this fragrance and wear it in very small doses. Even comfort can turn into a disaster if over applied.
Update: It's been a it at work so far. A fellow co-worker (male) said he's going right out to buy it after I told him what it is. A female co-worker told me it reminds her of a big bearded man. Very masculine.

RemingtonSteele
RemingtonSteele

Overall a great classic scent, does harken back to a time of country clubs and yachts and such. As MANY have mentioned, just completely stay away from people the first 10-15 minutes to let the scent develop and lose some of its punch. As also mentioned, does seem to morph like a chameleon throughout the day and you will get whiffs of it even in the morning after a day/night of wearing. Not for young guys, or guys wanting to smell like young guys I shoud say....Who wants to smell like a boy band anways?? Give me moss, dirt, manly stuff!

fuggerone
fuggerone

this is a classic anyway, always put me in top gear! 9/10
beware..the new reformulation is plain water!

Thinrock
Thinrock

It's been said that this is the Channel No. 5 for men...a true classic. A really unique, masculine scent.

wipemedown
wipemedown

Smells like cut grass. Very strong. Don't spray a lot or you'll have people choking haha. I see this as an "old man cologne", however I've had friends my age who liked it.

Sparks
Sparks

Now sold at Walgreens, *sobs wildly into my pillow*. I curse all those apostates that reformulate classic masterpieces. Oh, the delicious, lascivious memories I have scented with this elixir. The pine, the leather, the rich, exotic tobacco (which smells NOTHING like butt ashes, any more than a perfectly grilled steak smells like spoiled, badly burnt meat). The gods on Olympus lean over the edge to catch a whiff of this. A WHIFF people, not a gale force wind. Restraint is the key with this one. I think a genuine Druid would naturally smell like POLO. Certainly Atticus O'Sullivan would.

Anyone have any idea how to tell a vintage bottle from the reformulated caricature? Even a sample bottle would be a wonderful thing since I can only sniff it anyway. The husband doesn't care for it the heathen, lol. Fortunately, he has many other redeeming qualities.

lateeeno
lateeeno

How could u not fall in love with this juice ??!

Give it 20 minutes before u judge it . It will never let u down .

samrat.patil
samrat.patil

own this and hate it...
the leathery dry down hurts my throat real bad...and yes the headaches are true...I actually bought this as an impulse buy without confirming the basenote drydown...
and classy, it's not...

zuazua00
zuazua00

makes me think about a really old man who works in a dusty library with very poor and yellow lights, 70s decoration, therefore he wears 70s clothes, but those clothes out of fashion even in that ages, brown squared suit/coat... enough

faiz_hoshey
faiz_hoshey

hard perfume i like it a lot

Guruisog
Guruisog

An unbelievable classic that exudes a lot of luxury, singleness and class. The best combination of the elements to craft the greatest frangrance ever. Nothing came close before and even after, till date.

Deirdre1969
Deirdre1969

Too strong and bright for my taste. One of my high school teachers used to wallow in this all the time and I got really tired of it. It screams "I am wearing Cologne!!" LOL

BennyVega
BennyVega

I wore this for a long time and liked it when I was younger (when I smoked cigarettes, no less) but honestly Polo turns my stomach now. It's way too woody, smoky and rustic smelling. It reminds me of smelly burning wood. It can literally be choking at times.

Plus it is WAY too strong. I put a little of the after shave balm on and wherever I went it left an odor trail. Not good.

ROBSON RODRIGUES DE LIMA
ROBSON RODRIGUES DE LIMA

I love all "dated" scents: Azzaro PH, Tsar, Paco Rabanne PH etc, and this, is one of my favourites... For those who don't want them anymore, bring them to me!

SpikeMillion
SpikeMillion

Everyone knows somebody who wore this. Don't let other people's associations make you over look this powerful scent. Wear it with confidence and make it your own.
The leather and pine can be overpowering initially but it dries down pleasantly as long as you are conservative with your application. The drydown has the animalistic , musky notes mixed with a bouquet of greenery.I really love this scent because it is so singular. With so many aquatic scents that rhyme it is nice to see an old standby that stands alone. Love it!

Migalex
Migalex

This is probably from the time when smoking was considered a sign of manwood. In this health conscious times, when many smokers do struggle to get rid of the obnoxious smell of tobacco, I do not think many people will find it appealing. Personally, I cannot stand the smell of tobacco or its smoke. I do appreciate in this scent the extreme dryness. Together with tobacco, the note to me most preeminent is cedarwood and pine tree, here quite harshly aggressive. The scent overall makes me think of Tintin's captain haddock smoking his pipe.I do not think it is a bad fragrance, I actually find it interesting.

stromfish
stromfish

My first fragrance love right around 10 years old. Incredible how I still love this fragrance so much and I am over 30 now.
I don't care how many people have worn this and what people say it represents.
It is a fantastic and unique fragrance. A masterpiece.

Palosanto
Palosanto

I got it as a gift back in time, in the 90's when I was in college. Back then, here in Argentina, it was not an usual smell. I was enraptured. It was all I was then: young, energetic, bold, brash even...

As a matter of fact, I remember quite clearly that I proposed to my wife wearing this. How could I not like it?

za1pgreat50
za1pgreat50

This is the best of the best.....Monster projection and longevity. Only real men where this one

NHIndian24
NHIndian24

I love the completely dominant woods, leather, and tobacco notes that overpower most of the other notes all throughout the scent, but I don't like the lingering scent of cigarette ashes. Can anyone direct me to a cologne that has the completely dominant leather and tobacco notes like Polo, minus cigarette ash scent? Thank you

rodolfo
rodolfo

Man, I love this stuff! It kinda smells dated sometimes, but it's super classy! And I don't think that it suits old men only, young guys with a manly attitude can pull this one off easily. If I lived in a dry place, this would be a no brainer, but living at the shore I would probably find it hard to wear.

Smelly Mama
Smelly Mama

This is a Classic! Polo reminds me so much of my teen years, and the boys I used to date. Whenever I smell it, it brings me back...and I just LOVE it.

brave_kid
brave_kid

i smell it at counter..d worst perfume i had ever try..smelled like ash..i even wanna throw up after smell it..200% unlike..

Lanark
Lanark

The Green. If the emerald had smell, it would be Polo.

Masculine and timeless.

The Hulk of the perfumes; Polo smashes (sorry, I could not resist).

gianmarco
gianmarco

Jaxxsun, which clubs are you going to? Lol

jaxxsun

I had a girlfriend give me a bottle. She just loved the scent. I guess that most of them men in her past wore it too.

But, there was a problem. It did NOT smell all that great on me. I wore it until it was all gone.

It smelled ok to me. But it was just not a fit. Polo Green has become a cliche.

Wear it if you like. But I do not want to remind a woman of someone else that they had been with.

macrosBR,

You forgot Steve McQueen.

GugaGaidzak
GugaGaidzak

Be honest people!!!... your daddy gave it to you when your pubes started growin, and you decided to keep it forever!!!

Thats all!!!!!

dromidreza
dromidreza

خیلی وقت پیش داشتم.هنوز بوی اونو به صد تا ازین عطرهای مثل قارچ روییده ترجیح میدم.بویی کلاسیک و قدیمی ولی هنوز تازه و بسیار تاثیرگذار و مردانه.موثر در جذب جنس مخالف.

James Lewis
James Lewis

Polo is a great cologne,especially for a older more refined man that wants to make a statement when he enters a room.It says Im a confident man and Im not afraid to be noticed.

Zenith
Zenith

I had previously tried this from a tester in shops and left with a rough, strong, waaaay too powerful scent on the back of my hand. I tried it in a little bit more moderation and now I appreciate it.

This is a well made fragrance full of woods and herbal notes, but please do not overdo it due to extreme potency. Maybe outdated but don't rule it out because of that.

Ultra masculine

KeithScar
KeithScar

This is the fragrance that is the foundation of my collection. Old school kick ass cologne at its best. Classical,traditional, and professional. Fresh pine smell that last for a long time without making your head hurt. I remember my grandad wearing this as a kid I liked it then I love it now, Great fall/winter fragrance

twlahue

For those of you who love the original vintage formula and miss it...order the polo perfume oil direct from haywardenterprises.com. Believe me you will not be dissapointed. Smells exactly like the original, lasts all day, and is very inexpensive.

four_strings
four_strings

Got this one as a gift from my highschool sweetheart. It was the first REAL cologne is had. Before this, I was a kid splashing around in Brute 33 (YUK!). While packing to move, my wife tossed out my 1/2 full bottle of Polo (from 1988) thinking I wouldn't want it.

Tested it again last week at Nordstrom. Disappointing. The new blend doesn't smell like the old blend. My Polo, the one I worn down the halls of my highschool, is gone.

The new blend smells weaker too. A sniff of the original Polo from 1988 taken right at the bottle opening could knock out an elephant!
The new one smells like it's half water.

I probably wouldn't wear Polo again, but I still miss that bottle. The smell was nostalgic for me.

stromboli77

A classic! This was the very first cologne...and I use the word COLOGNE.....that I was really attracted to. I was wearing it for a while and getting lots of compliments. VERY masculine, classy, warm, spicy green scent. Definately more for the older crowd lol. But for nostalgia's sake and for good taste, this one just does it for me. Like a lot of older scents, who ever dares to wear this deserves to wear it. I'm smelling it right now....ahhhh the smell of luxury!

RobbieX

Great fragrance - a classic - fresh, clean sweet pine, leather, lasts all day and leaves a lovely "trail" behind you. If I run out of this its an instant replacement - can't do without this one! - It's retro but it has lots of character and it's long lasting. As you might have guessed by now............I love the stuff!!

freestyle
freestyle

a powerful masculine perfume with woody dominant scent..long lasting and all round usage.. one of my fave and timeless perfume.. superb..

to "jgirgar"

Yes this has been reformulated and what it is missing can be found in the new Polo "Modern Reserve" release. If you could somehow mix and blend the new formulation with Modern Reserve, you would be very close to having the vintage Polo we all knew and loved...

jgirgar
jgirgar

Oh how I remember coming across this fragrance! This was amongst my first round of aquiring 'real' fragrance. My friend, John, was wearing this and I thought then, "that's it"! John was rather a rich kid - his dad built this big, 10k sq ft house on the lake and I was enamored by the whole package. I still remember the smell of their house and that was all back in 1985/6. Polo, keep in mind was only 7/8 years old and more than likely not reformulated yet. It was heaven. Yeah, I owned it and loved it too. Years went by and I have a bottle now I like to wear on occasion but it's missing something, and I can't put my finger on it. That said, it does not and will not stop me from owning and using it. It's a good winter fragrance because to me it's smokey, like the faint smell a wood burning fireplace after a couple days from the last fire. Yet again, it's now July and I'm in the mood to wear it today, while watching fireworks tonight! JG 070412

sonysava32000
sonysava32000

The ultimate green BOMB!!! Guys for a second maybe for the first time wear a fragrance that's not about getting laid. The fragrance is almost a women repellent. With that said this is secretively my favorite the problem? I'm only 24 and not old enough to wear it. This fragrance is diffidently a throwback, very powerful, loud in your face. It's projection and longevity are second to none. It will cloud out Fahrenheit!!! This is a go hiking scent for me. I swear it's saved my life against a bear attack!! It's play some golf and drink some beers with the boys. It's a mans fragrance and like I said the ultimate green fragrance. It smells like composting pine tree's lol. This is not a fragrance for women in the ages of 18-35 now women 36-50?!?! :-)

Scent 10/10
Projection 10/10
Longevity 10/10
Uniqueness 10/10
Versatility 10/10

Overall 50/50

periquito89
periquito89

My relationship with this scent is like with a cigar: I love the smell although I don't smoke. From the first time I smelled to the time my young brother bought one the liking remained the same, in the same way I think it will always be. The use went to banality since it was figured as one of the biggest synonym of masculine scent, so it may look silly according to the one is using it. For sure such thing like "silly using" is pure interpretation according to one's sense, but let's go on ... The scent isn't and will never be silly. In its essence, represents to me seriousness and class. I don't think at all its objective is to be seductive. Pine, tobbaco, leather at its most interesting. May be a bit dry on skin, but is very fresh on its great sillage. Lasts forever. Loewe Esencia pour Homme is intend to be a friendly scent in the same kind of smell. Modern Reserve is just less straigh, less in your face, more dry, and I would never change one for another. I prefer the original green. I hardly use it, but I love the smell.

SmokinYodas
SmokinYodas

As a connoisseur of men’s colognes, Polo is a must have for any extreme greeny & woody lover. The classic Polo scent is one that is uniquely different than many of the fresh floral citrus smells that are found in men’s colognes today. If not simply as a sake of nostalgia, Polo will take many girls back to their high school years with their first romance.

Unfortunately for Polo there are times that a good smell can be a bad one. Because of the strong woody, leathery and tobacco silage that lasts from start to finish, this might be a turn off for some people if they associate the distinctive manly smells with a dominate personality in their life that they dislike greatly.

Polo is a very strong cologne that will last for many hours and its application is simply less-is-more in perception.

The woman that likes the sent of Polo on a man often has a strong leading father figure that smokes and works with his hands. It takes a special kind of modern cowboy to wear this today with any real confidence.

Picture in your mind a leathery, tanned and confident older American man, one that drives a mustang fast and with the top down, he holds his women firm as the sun fades into dusk, this is the quintessence of Polo.

stanky
stanky

This is an awesome nostalgic scent from the 90s(cos that's when i first got to smell it on my uncle) Great scent for grown and sexy folk Rating 4/5 Shout outs to Angela hill(She totally loves this)

hunterblu
hunterblu

Instant, pounding headache. Turns my stomach inside out as well. I am a lover of fragrances and try to appreciate them all, even the ones that don't work for me but this one...damn, all I can say is please, please, please do not ever let me be stuck on an elevator with someone wearing this, even for just two floors.

radhakrishna
radhakrishna

the bigg daddy of middle class fragrances for men : Stays strong, lasts long, and freshens the mind! anyone who makes this purchase shall find the worth of his money!

Matt Oldham
Matt Oldham

It makes me want to eat my own stomach. Literally painful to smell; makes my nasal pasages burn and my contacts unwearable. Incredibly unpleasant. If you wear this and don't realize that it's not only offensive to many many people but that it makes you the butt of humor as well...trust me: it's true. Move on. It's the same as wearing a quiana shirt to go out. My coworker wears this sometimes and I beg him to let me buy him something else. It became a joke and an embarrassment within a few months of its release at my high school. Girls would not go on a date with a guy who wore this. If you wore it in college you were a dork or clueless or stuck in high school. I thought it was universally loathed by upper middle class white kids. That's how it was in the 80s in Colorado so you know it had to be truly foul. Of course living in Colorado one smells real actual pine trees all the time and surely our familiarity with the natural material made this highly synthentic scent seem utterly utterly wrong. The worst of all time. It's one of those that if you have to ask why it's tacky beyond belief you'll never know. I'd choose Amarige over Polo.

perhapspersephone
perhapspersephone

OJuniper.... nothing else... and why oh, why does every man who wears Polo need to bathe in it ? UGH!

tysonbeck

Classic! I've loved this ever since i've known this perfume when i was young and loved it until now. This and Drakkar are two of the most unique and distinct smelling perfumes of all times!!

tysonbeck

this is a classic perfume i remember when i was young but could not afford it. i still love it until now ( and can afford it too) this and Drakkar are two of the most unique and distinct smelling perfumes of all times!

Bhuvana.Balan
Bhuvana.Balan

I chanced upon this fragrance when I picked this up by mistake for my brother-in-law ( I was asked to pick up Polo black)... I tried it on myself to see whether it was horrible since the shopkeeper refused a return. I found it so very strong and masculine and my immediate response was that it smelt like my father!!! Each of us have our own unique fragrance and Polo for me reminds me of my Dad... It is a strong scent with a distinct tobacco fragrance. It is definitely for those men who make their own destiny and face life & its hardships head on. Also, I feel this one is for older men. I love this perfume & am definitely getting this one for my Dad!

julyjunenior

...big balls!

END OF REVIEW.

anotae
anotae

Memory maker definitely. Legend.

leboblue
leboblue

keep a bottle just to occasionally be whisked back to another time.........another place.........it's definitely a memory maker!

haasemanzi
haasemanzi

Strong, serious attitude and so is this perfume, and that's how women want men!!

unwrittencode
unwrittencode

A serious cologne only for real MEN* --- no messing around

dutchschwag
dutchschwag

A masterpiece and a ground-breaking concoction that expanded the limits of the industry and opened doors for other fashion houses not necessarily affiliated with the Paris and London establishment to assert themselves in the fragrance industry.
Ralph Lauren's Polo takes the concept of an alpine forest and executes it to perfection by toning down the floral elements and accentuating the pine needles, juniper, cedar and oakmoss; thus creating a rich and powerful set of accords underscored by strong base notes exuding masculinity and natural elements.
Ralph Lauren's Polo created an American department store fragrance market for middle-class men to distinguish itself from the drug store banality and the overpriced "classic" French specialization houses. Polo lent an air of legitimacy to American made fragrance releases and reasserted it with its clothing line. A truly American original that put American fragrances on the same par with European colognes and re-defined the barriers of the industry.
A scent with a strong, spiced woodsy concentration that offers a burst of flavor. Smells dated? Most likely to people who haven´t ever inhaled British Sterling or Canoe. One of the great, truly original scents that pushed Ralph Lauren to the top of suburban credibility in the late 1970´s and the brand that set the standard for the first years of the 1980´s in the Western World in fragrance and collared and oxford shirts.
This scent still insinuates instant credibility and faux sophistication upon even the most banal and superficially unsophisticated older men. A work of art in its capturing of the alpine forest and a timeless classic original. Nobody should be without this one in their arsenal, as it simply has first rate longevity and character. One of the five most important colognes of the 20th century. Despite being overused and over-worn, still maintains its dignity.

Kharnak
Kharnak

I've been holding off on reviewing this.
It's a Bold Masculine Classic. Unabashedly Masculine, but in a more Gentlemanly way than the dirty Animal my YSL Kouros can be. This is for the very Mature "daddy" type who don't take no mouth from anyone.
This HAS been reformulated. I remember it being FAR stronger and more bitter with the Caraway and Tobacco note, almost like cigar smoke & Armpit funk. This new version is sweeter, fresher Cloves, the Tobacco is more woody and sweet, like Cedar wood chips.
Still smells distinctively Spicy, like Worn brown Saddle leather, rubbed in Pine oil, Horse rider who just lit up a Fresh Cigar, puff puffing in the breeze.
The Pine & Tobacco Leather note is unmistakable, recognizable from FAR away, and has Tremendous Sillage that fills the room. this is considered a very RUDE fragrance. Not gonna lie.... it really gives the impression of a big hairy, Sweaty Armpit of a smoker, but pleasant and sweet. So i love it. If you're a smoker, British, or a 50 something Silver fox with a chest mane, confident and don't give a damn what anyone thinks, this is the one.

Doesn't last quite as long as the Vintage. that used to last for.. literally days. This newer blend dries down progressively sweeter.... and has a Similar Tobacco Accord as Cuba Paris "Red".

LSDnSideBurns
LSDnSideBurns

Love it or hate it.

Classic.

Longevity is monstrous on me. I'm going on about 12 hours now, I still get a passing scent of it every now and then. Projection at this point is not amazing, but it's still there, quite impressive. Nobody today at work complained that I smelled like Deep Woods OFF, but if they smelled me in the first 5 minutes of applying this stuff they might have wondered why I was wearing mosquito repellant in December.

There is a surprising darkness to this scent. Deep, green, like the forest in the night. Musk, Patchouli, very romantic. My roommate caught a smell of it, she looked straight at me and said "You smell like sex." I'll take that as a compliment.

People describe this as a hairy-chested, wood chopping, plaid flannel shirt kind of scent, but I find it to be rather exquisite: powerful, yet refined. There is an air of exclusivity, like sipping brandy in a country club.

Do any guys my age wear this stuff? I smell like an old man. Better than smelling like The Situation or Pauly D.

So old it's new again.

Labaloo
Labaloo

There was a guy I knew way back when- friend of the family- with whom I strongly-associate this fragrance: dark hair, blue eyes, hairy chest- I still melt when I smell Polo. And you GOTTA experience the original (now vintage)- not the reformulated new one, which is NOT the same beast in the least!

pmfortin
pmfortin

I remember this one. Law school in 1987 when it was hip to be a preppie. We were all wearing the same Polo shirts (pink was high in those days), Levis Jeans, argyle socks and loafers. Of course, Polo was a MUST. You wouldn't risk being caught without it. I suddenly feel like watching "the Breakfest Club" again...

sniff-sniff
sniff-sniff

Wow! Looks like you either love or hate it. I don't normally wear it, as it is a bit strong, even for my wife. When I do wear it, I try to use only a minimal amount (like about 1/2 spray), as too much seems to attract attention of an unwanted sort (the "Yeeach" factor). This appears to work well - I like long-lasting, masculine scents, and this seems to fill the bill, giving me my money's worth in staying power.

Heed the other warnings here - this scent is STRONG - go easy and you will be rewarded.

kenneth.marshall
kenneth.marshall

Polo is truly a masterpiece,I wore this in highschool as a young man.Of course i did not fully appericiate this scent then,but as a mature man of 50.It is a smell of a man that has arrived to an age of acceptance.This is a scent of authority,a rigth as it were! If you understand this,no other words are needed!Enjoy your place.

alassouli
alassouli

An ugly, strong , and disgusting perfume. It is the mixture of all the spices that exit on this planet earth and the worst part it is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too strong for a lady to take. I hated it as a child when my dad used to wear it and I hate it as a grown up girl. Such a strong and tacky fragrance. It can repel any woman easily due to it's horrible notes and over powering smell. I can never appreciate this perfume.

Note: Please proceed with caution if you are planning to wear it for a date or going to any social gathering, as this can cause serious shortness of breath and trauma to the people around you :[ .

[14/11/2011]

queops
queops

this perfume is a absolute chypre, in olfactory structure as in olfactory predominace by striking presence of the leather, patchouly, earthy moss and cumin, with soft tones warm aromatic and a green note, that brings a mixture on olfactory nuance who remind creeping scrub, tipical of farms, ultra interesting and perceived to inhale the fragrance.

jeffwithfrags
jeffwithfrags

The modern Reserve is a much more toned down refined version of this, and is an amazing scent, but sadly they still share the 80's moss/pine/lavender party soup and will always feel dated.

In the top notes, pines, mosses, harsh loud lavenders just are not 'game' any more. And both scents contain them.

1/5 for original, 3/5 for the Modern Reserve.

santino
santino

THIS IS A MAN'S FRAGRANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats it.

End of the review.

bobkat
bobkat

I adore this, it reminds me of the early 90's. Never dated anyone that wore this, the scent just does it all for me. Have worn it myself, but if I ever met a nice bloke wearing this..the knees would be trembling!

Grottola
Grottola

Pine.
Tobacco.
Leather.
Oakmoss.

While the French ideal of masculinity focuses more on style and grace, as exemplified in fragrances such as Chanel Pour Monsieur and Habit Rouge, the American idea embraces the "macho" aspects - no frills, a meat-and-potatoes guy that can fix anything and doesn't have time to be well-groomed or pretty. And, what a better fragrance than Polo to get that message across? Strong, conservative masculinity - a man who sticks by his views and ideals his entire life, in a world where flamboyancy, attention, homosexuality, and self-discovery just don't exist.

Polo smells nice, but it's seen more of the world than I have. I'm 20 years old, and millions of men before me have adopted this as their fragrance for life. I appreciate it, but it's not me.

johngreenink
johngreenink

The reviews here for Polo are informative and absolutely hysterical... (to krmarich and soleric, respectively.) Like many people, I recall smelling this everywhere when it was at its peak (and I was still too young to be wearing it,) but even then it had such a tendency to be over-used so my single clearest memory of the scent was that it was LOUD.

I have to agree with krmarich that Polo was attempting to sell a lifestyle which was a bigger part of the Lauren empire... Polo was the seducer or temptress. It did promise this idea of exclusivity, wealth, and privilege in a way that's really shameless and embarrassing by today's standards. I don't mean to knock a fragrance by it's marketing or image, but let's face it; it's nearly impossible to divorce the smell from the sell.

There is ONE element about Polo that I like, and that would be the tobacco. I think Polo is one of a very, very few fragrances that unabashedly uses tobacco to its strengths - I'd love to find more fragrances that can use tobacco to accentuate it's deep mystery as a note.

Thanks for all the smiles I got from reading your Polo reviews - I wonder if Ralph Lipchitz can appreciate the humor...?

Faerunner
Faerunner

Strangely enough, I neither love nor hate the classic Polo. Black and Double Black are really great, and Blue is headache-inducing. The original is a scent that I describe to customers (I work a fragrance counter at a department store) as full-bodied, smoky, and woody. It brings to mind a vivid picture of perfectly put-together gentlemen smoking cigars in a wood-paneled room, a century ago. Long dressing gowns in rich fabrics, leather upholstery, a roaring fire and tobacco smoke. This scent more than any other paints a firm picture of what it's supposed to represent.

Unfortunately, what it represents has gone the way of the dodo bird, and the customers are headed in that direction too. You'd have to be either brave or stupid to try it now, when there are so many other more subtle scents that won't choke your date/business partner/friends. And this does choke, especially during the Christmas season when it's sprayed into the air around the fragrance counter 30 times in one day... I pray no one ever breaks a bottle!

BearysHoney
BearysHoney

I have memories of my brother dousing himself with this before dates when he was in HS. This stuff might be okay with a quick spritz or two but any more and it can stink up a room in a hurry!!

krmarich

Reflecting back to the 80s, I cannot forget Polo. It was marketed as the upscale-snob-preppy signature. Ralph Lauren built an empire on this little green bottle of Pine Sol. Yes, remembering it today only feels wrong. Every other man at college wore it. Or maybe just one-it was so strong, it overpowered everyone else.

I love deep green chypres, yet this one cheapened the class. I always felt it was trying too hard. Its has been reformulated to worthless chemicals! There are flakers that have moved away from the original mess. Sorry folks-it fails for me on all accounts. This review is for the current reformulation.

chrismriley@hotmail.com
chrismriley@hotmail.com

Projects like Godzilla in a bad mood, up from the depths, thirty stories high....but smells like stale cigarette ash...

I applied 2 heavy sprays

0-5 mins - Something massive, spicy, dirty

5 mins - 4 hours - It reminded me of something??.... and then the penny dropped, it was the 3 week old, large glass ash tray with a mountain of heaped cigarette buts and stale ash, which is like a trophy of how many had been smoked. Projects over everything that moves.

4 hours - 8 hours- Thankfully the stale cigarette ash starts to go and the mature green jacket scent kicks in, which I was expecting from the start. Still projecting like crazy

8 hours - 12 hours - Still there, the longer it goes the better it gets

Immense projection

Dr. Smellgood
Dr. Smellgood

I cannot imagine what must have been going on inside the room where this noxious brew was concocted, but somebody was obviously enjoying strong base notes of weed and/or acid. Polo Green is what happens when you cut an otherwise acceptable fragrance with napalm. It's like you dropped a formaldehyde bomb on twenty acres of dead and decomposing forest. Bleh. I am hard pressed to name one fragrance that is more offensive to the nose. At some later point, the folks at Ralph Lauren sobered up, took what little was right about Polo and fixed it. The result? Polo Double Black. lol The only people who buy this crap are the same old men who think Aramis and Old Spice are fine fragrances. Bleh.

GataBella
GataBella

ah polo... reminds me of all the boys who doused themselves in it in high school. much, much too strong. but a definite masculine scent. guys, this is a man's man's MAN'S scent. too much for a girl like me to take...

smartypants1562000
smartypants1562000

Very dated and for over 50's men.Strong pine scent and burns my nose when my husband tries to wear it. HORRIBLE and too Strong !! Bug spray deep woods off and moldy old man's wool coat and musty old moldy leather . Why do you dumb guys insist on wearing this awful smelling stuff? Most women I know would rather smell something else entirely Who are you trying to get the attention of anyhow? oh yeah, other stinky men wearing the same cologne.

cezarmac
cezarmac

it is a fabulous fragrance,is very suitable for males over 35 who work how a executive,director,manager of a big group.I am waiting to my time,altough it be a cheap cologne.

greystone
greystone

Ive always loved polo and have always gotten compliments from women when I wore it.Polo by R.L. is one of my all time favorites.Ive stopped wearing it for awhile because my wife says it smells like deep woods off and she doesnt like it.I think she doesnt like me getting the compliments from other women,I still love Polo and still wear it on occaision.I like to compare this frgrance to Opium for women in that it announces itself in a room and says Im here and I know who I am and what I want.This is a strong cologne and it takes a strong man to pull it off,if you arent man enough for this scent,youre always free to smell like your girlfriend and wear some unisex fragrance.

Dr_Spazmo
Dr_Spazmo

Although i like the smell, its too mature for me. It can be easily overpowered. I recommend this to ages 25+

soleroc
soleroc

I must be crazy but, the notes that I pick up on are: moth balls, ointments, wheelchairs & walkers, ear hair, stories of the great depression and OLD MEN!!! VERY OLD MEN!!!! My Dad still has the very same ridiculously large 8 oz vat of this "Old Man in a Bottle." I remeber hating it then... and like a fine wine, my hatred for this foul stench has only matured. ^_^ I know this review is a bit harsh, but I beg of you, please keep this "cologne" away from me at all costs! Thanks.

JohnMc
JohnMc

The smell of mafia-style gangsters everywhere! Even with my deep affection for many 'alpha-male' fragrances such as Kouros, Cartier Dos Santos and Antaeus, this is the fragrance equivalent of 'shock and awe'. If I'm honest this scent represents the edge of the fragrance forrest, beyond which I am afraid to venture - even this far into the journey. Although I secretly desire to wear such a fragrance and imagine myself as an uber-male character such as Gordon Gecko or Rambo. The veritable antithesis of subtlety and gentleness! Bravo to those brave enough to wear this...

nprakashj
nprakashj

Strong Woody and Spicy opening, very different from brands quoting similarities, but this one definitely stands apart.

Its unique fragrance will have people sniff their way through a crowded place and find you.

This one's a Rockstar, long lasting.

samihardanian
samihardanian

This is what seperates the men from the boys
یک عطر کاملا مردانه. با ماندگاری و پخش بوی عالی. بنظر من هر مرد میان سالی باید یک شیشه از این عطر را در آرشیو عطرهایش داشته باشد

oxm
oxm

Polo Ralph Lauren perfume is an old school, someone sniffed hearing his name, but I think this fragrance has a strength rarely seen compared to modern perfumes, whether urban, water or trendy, here we encounter the real perfume men.Aromatic, spicy and woody.Remember when my father sent me to get cigarettes from the tobacconist, the right of the desk on a shelf there were many perfumes including Courreges, Tobacco D'Harar and Polo Ralph Lauren, without feeling the scent of the box it transpired the innate class in a kind of subliminal message saying, take me ...
The best

scattolini
scattolini

First of all, I have this perfume for over 2 years and I wasn´t able to decide yet if I throw the bottle away or buy another one. It´s complex scent, point. Some say when you walk on streets a bunch of 80-year-old ladies would go after you ....some say it´s meant for special occasions.
The first feeling as smelling is a harsh, sharp top notes, old-fashioned and perhaps outdatet perfume, troublesome,and finally little intoxicating.....

The middle notes and basenotes after drydown are way better than the first impressions.....Indeed, it´s a manly-man I´ve no doubt!!! It´s not subtle, it´s not fresh, and sometimes green...

According to Mighty Masrshal (a user of this very site): "It smells like the leather jacket of a man who chain smokes cigars, rides his horse through the woods to his house where he cooks middle eastern cuisine over an open fire. It's abrasive and strong." (LOL) I´d add : that kind of man who spits on the ground, scratch his own nuts, and do not take a daily shower....(LOL)

Who should wear this: 40s men. Mainly on opened spaces, like parties and shows. Do not spray too much of it onto your skin, unless there´s a medical team nearby!!!

The perfume despite of all emanating discussion...is complex and evolves.....

Sillage: 10
X-factor: 7
Overall score: 7

maknine ezzine
maknine ezzine

son defaut a luit c'est que on finie toujour par l'abondoner!!!!!

spoombung
spoombung

Phew... to so say this stuff is strong would be an understatement. I foolishly sprayed it on my wrist and now my temples are throbbing and my head feels like it going to explode like a scene from a David Cronenberg horror movie.

I don't think I've ever tried a scent that evoked such revulsion before; my family DEMANDED I washed it off the moment we got back. People in the car park seemed to KNOW I was wearing this stuff and looked like they wanted to kill me. It seems every smiling face turns into an accusing look when you wear Polo.

I won't bother describing it... other than to say it smells like a pair of big, hairy moth balls mashed up with concentrated soap powder and pine needles.

I feel like I've been beaten up.

Louw
Louw

I want to like this - it's clean and fresh and spicy and really masculine - but unfortunately it reminds me of several unpleasant ex-BFs who used to wear it! I now avoid any man who wears it!!

lucianasalem

I love this fragrance. But here - in Brazil - it's very expensive. Somebody know another smell who looks like polo (Cheaper)? Thanks!

omerpervaiz
omerpervaiz

I think i have no words to praise this evergreen and classic fragrance by Ralph Lauren, a real gem though today in the market u'll find similar fragrances but this is the pioneer and the trend-setter even today it really stands out. Highly Complimented strong spicy old skool like masculine fragrance. Simply a powerhouse from late 70's.
8.5 out of 10.

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

A classic fragrance with a very familiar smell, one that I would think of being 5 years old and being taken to my dads work at the office, he introduces me to his middle aged boss, who greets me in his mid priced suit and 'yucky, grown-up after shave' (which nowadays I admire for their quality and timeless essence).
The one citric note, bergamot, is the perfectly subtle dose for this opening, the body is of mossy, woody, peppery and cedar accords.
The name AND the smell associates a closed circle of rule and tradition.

lucianasalem

I really love thissssssssssss...its so sexy!!!!!

ronnie g
ronnie g

This is what seperates the men from the boys

miklos
miklos

It was the first "adult" fragrance I started to use after high school.
At first I just bought the polo deo sift, and there was no turning back.

It is strong, and not for anyone.
I'm a a pale guy, blond, and i don't have much smell of my own (sometimes its a good thing, but ladys like a manly smell), and somehow fragrances fade from my skin very fast.
I love Givenchy gentleman and like davidoff adventure, but they just don't lust.
I spray it on, and by the time I get to the office, the harshness is gone, and fresh green rule all day. Very forest like, maybe fall, smells like my grandfathers hunting tweed coat... and that's a good thing in my book.
My wife loves it.

I wouldn't recommend it for a Mediterranean guy. My Iranian friend uses this too, and I can well understand why some people find it too much.

megaechofox50
megaechofox50

Throwback! This scent reminds me of something my dad would wear. Even though I'm in my early twenties I still enjoy this scent. I only use it for formal events though for sure. This juice projects on my skin like crazy and stays with me for at least 12 hours. In terms of how much to use with this one less is definitely more. I would never recommend wearing this to a bar or club. It is leathery and smokey. Only a real man can pull this one off.

purrz11
purrz11

This is the best man's scent ever if worn correctly. A little WILL do you! When I first met my hubby, I noticed he wore Polo just right. Just a sliver of it down his abs was all it took to make him smell good enough to eat!

mightymarshal
mightymarshal

I work in a Polo store and EVERY employee who works in the store, no matter the age or sex, from 16 to 60, hates this smell, and dreads when someone tries it on. And so do the customers who have to shop in the store after it's sprayed. It just SMELLS dated. It smells like the leather jacket of a man who chain smokes cigars, rides his horse through the woods to his house where he cooks middle eastern cuisine over an open fire. It's abrasive and strong. And it lasts ALL DAY LONG. If it were toned down a little, and mixed with a little more of the floral, I'd probably really enjoy it.

zecheiroso

Top *
Heart ***
Base *
Final score **

Fragranticans will hide the review, Basenoters will hate me, the fact is dated stuff is dated.
Scary scent in that bottle.

The good
It's an icon, yes. The heart smells like a discontinued EDC from Atkinsons, After Sport, and I do have good memories from it, otherwise it'd get a plain and simple 1 star as final score.
I'm unable to detect much of a synthetic vibe but then again I can't really find much in specific within that potent concoction.
Longevity is good, sillage is nuclear when sprayed, it does mellow over time.

The bad
Dated scent, period. The very mature ladies will chase you around for sure: they say it smells like "real men". Fine...
Too loud and sharp therefore not versatile.

The ugly
The best young girl repelent I've found so far, as soon as I sprayed it they all went "eeeeew". The only reason I didn't wash it off was to review it properly.

I've smelled it before, and wasn't sure it was classic Polo. Thanks heavens I gave up on a blind on Modern Reserve, it can't be much far from that, even with the tame top notes.

mehrdad

مردانه
کلاسیک
وزین
مناسب برای پزشکان، مدیران مردان با جذبه و ملاقاتهای کاری
و روی هم رفته عطری سنگین و مناسب برای محیط های کاری لوکس همانند گالری ها، ساعت فروشی ها، جواهری فروشی و ملاقاتهای رسمی شما را موقر و جنتلمن نشان خواهد داد
با احترام
گالری مهرداد

Rav Pahud
Rav Pahud

one of my favorite...always in the toiletries bag wherever I go...especially on family meetings and dinner gathering...very manly smells, extreme masculine, it can uplifts your mood and somehow gave the extra strength you didn't know it was there...good projection and sillage....extremely personal smells....good job!

guest_narigudo
guest_narigudo

não adianta teimar . amando ou odiando , todos concordam num ponto : ninguém chega aos 32 anos de mercado com tanta força à toa . tem que ter muita complexidade e originalidade para reinar no saturado e plageador mundo da perfumaria . superpopular e copiado aos milhões em qualquer rincão deste planeta , polo ainda conserva um poder de atração , mesmo sobre jovens , difícil de encontrar em outros perfumes . folhoso , floral(eu sinto sutilmente) , terroso e masculino . longa vida ao senhor polo . um clássico para chamar de meu....

Cologne Junkie72
Cologne Junkie72

This fragrance is a classic.Yes the initial scents hit you hard at first,but as the day goes by, this will simmer into a smooth green leathery scent.Be sure not to over apply.If you put too much on,then it will not be good for the nose.

CourtrightHer
CourtrightHer

You smell it coming at you a mile away and it is just...wrong

Bought in once in the early '80's. Wore its welcome out before I finished the bottle.

I supposse it works for a certain guy (swarmy and too tanned) but can not imagine a lady putting up with it for long!

Well, it certainly made a baleful of green for the house of Ralph (so did the Whooper for Mickey D's). Does not make it worthy of greatness? I think not! Tired and time to retire it!

guest_Sunny
guest_Sunny

Funny, nobody mentions the burning smell of this fragrance, and it is not the nice burnt smell of oud, incense or myhrr, but the strong, acrid smell of campfire that hits your nose like a sledgehammer, after that a nice floral (who said no flower notes here?) heart composed mainly of rose and jasmine counterbalanced by pine, and to finish, a nice base of vetiver, patchouli and tobacco flower (flower again?)

jedikitty
jedikitty

My ex used to wear (a lot of) this to spite me as he knew this frag would give me a monster migraine in under 10 seconds flat.

Sorry, hate it.

guest_Billy
guest_Billy

Something is wrong, like Polo does not contain floral notes? And the notes middle notes: Carnation, Rose, Jasmine, Geranium ... Sometimes I think this perfume smells like Vick or toothpaste.

andrevarx
andrevarx

Polo by Ralph Lauren has a wonderful aura reflects elegance and class for their aroma, is very powerful opening notes, it feels like an explosion of pine and tobacco leather, impressive and slightly disturbing.

The middle notes are harmonics of the chaos left by the first notes, are quite manly smelling green pine woods, the snuff and skin continue but with less intensity, allowing the first emerge. This fragrance stays too long in its middle notes, or to put it is not noticed when transiting the base notes, which are very similar.

They are very manly aromas, warm and elegant ones in this fragrance. Preferable to use in social clubs, academic circles or similar activities, as the aroma denotes commands respect and class, but it is too powerful for a formal dinner or office, where they can be very intrusive.

Nor is recommended for romantic dates, as the EDT entirely without notes for intimate moments, is too strong, the minimum recommended applications.

That said, it is understood that Polo "separates children of men", meaning a child as anyone under 40 years old man. A full adult masterpiece.

svillatoro
svillatoro

Even Ralph Lauren house hasn't been able to create such a great fragrance like this one. On of the best ever made...

ramonstro
ramonstro

This on is is my type. I like strong scents, and I think this could really be classified as a WOODY GREEN. Smells like fresh of the shower or that smell you get when just going out of the barbershop.(LOL) And the staying power is perfect for men like me (that sweat too much) it lasts all day.

instantjim
instantjim

I have wanted Polo for quite some time and was thrilled to finally get a bottle at a very reasonable price. I have in my mind, since I first sampled it, grouped it with Yatagan and Quorum as being similar. I gave one spray of each on my forearms to compare. It was clear right from the start, there was only a slight similarity between Yatagan and Polo. The differences became increasingly clear when comparing the two as they dried down.

Yatagan is dirty compared with Polo. There is a definite animalistic accord in Yatagan, which is missing in Polo, which almost seems like dried sweat. The Polo seems almost minty-clean by comparison. I think it is the herbaceous woody aspect which makes me connect these fragrances.

If Polo is to be worn by a lumberjack, axe in hand coming back from a hard day in the coniferous forest; Yatagan should be worn by his ferret-breeding recluse brother who lives in a tumbledown rotting wooden cabin somewhere in the same forest. Quorum is in many ways more similar to Polo than Yatagan is, though much, much sharper at the start and is also stronger (and without the subtlety afforded by such a wide range of notes).

Polo is definitely a green fragrance and tobacco is quite prominent as also is the pine. It seems every time I smell Polo, I detect different notes, which speaks of its complexity and balance.

The elements are beautifully blended to give a long-lasting crisp-green fragrance which is without any doubt one of the pinnacles of male perfumery.

Floritica64
Floritica64

Love Ralph's fragrances on the whole but this older fragrance is still as putrid today as back in 1984, when I first smelled it on a roommate and literally gagged. Too heavy in middle and base notes. Here's an idea Lauren perfumers, could you lighten this formula up a little bit? Help! I'm lost in a pine forest, baby.

Venom
Venom

Nice and earthy. For an older gent and great for a formal night out. Not an everyday use and use lightly. Worth picking up but not a staple.

Indro
Indro

Apart from being categorised as a Woody Chypre,this scent can be classified as an Aromatic Green frag.I have a tester of this masterpiece and enjoy every molecule of the timeless masterpiece called Polo Classic.

Cheers

guest_aly
guest_aly

just bought this geen polo.. gosh!!! love the smell and considered the best fragrance ever compared to others

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

Reminds me back to my old clubbing days in early 90ies when everyone was wearing it due to the strength of clothing lines (the scent was launched originally in '78)!
Basically smells of horsedung! LOL
Ironically that is a nice thing for me as horseback riding was my youth, lol

Fond memories to this one but I no longer wear it for there are far more modern scents around now.

Very masculine!

This, "Le Male" by JPG and "Kouros" by YSL are the butchest scents I can think of.

aktp-iciook
aktp-iciook

Well, Polo :)

I wish I could love you a fraction of other lovers in Fragrantica.

This is just too green and too strong for me.

Cheers,

ARAMIS
ARAMIS

Where else you could find a Great Masculine as POLO?

Equation of success = Non-floral + Pine + tobacco + leather + clove.

I like it!

weegee
weegee

Many, many times over the years my conscious self has been shocked to find that my subconscious self has forced an eager expression on my suddenly flushed face and made me turn about sniffing the air in the manner of a hungry fox sensing something tasty on the wind... and each time this has happened there's been a man nearby wearing Polo.

Artemisia must be the catalyst that transforms forest notes, leather, tobacco and animalic secretions into this alluring fragrance. Apply lightly and at your own risk.

rafaeleleniz
rafaeleleniz

There is no age for a great fragrance, and Polo is one of those ageless perfumes that will become a classic.
Although the opening is quite hard to handle for me, the heart notes and the base notes are a delight. The description says "no floral notes but chamomille", well, I beg to disagree big time, the heart is all rose and jasmine nicely counterbalanced by pepper and pine while the base tobacco flower is one of the dominant notes in a beautiful harmony with patchouli and vetiver.
All and all, a lovely scent that will be around for decades, those that want a "modern" perfume, go to the corner CVS and get a cheap AXE.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Polo is Yatagan without the bite. The smell of damp, freshly-cut grass in late September, complete with the earthy tinge of wood and soil. There's some old pine needles resting in there, too. I like Polo, but I'm not so sure I would wear it. Other similar fragrances like Quorum and Yatagan can be had for less, and offer just as much, if not more.

ShiseidoTactics
ShiseidoTactics

Una de las fragancias mejor logradas de la historia.

andy
andy

once a timeless classic that launched a chain of scents, the green herbal dry woodsy chypre nature of this scent limit it's applicability

its a very dated scent and is not overly popular among todays crowd and has a bitter dry woodsy mossy drydown that is more suited for older people

ricardohmedina
ricardohmedina

Wonderful scent. Elegant, distinct, classic... and the most important: smells great!
And forget this silly thought of "the age" of Polo or its "80's scent". Good fragrances don't become bad or old with time. On the contrary, they become classics. What´s a modern smell after all?

shamus1

Well, after not wearing Polo for a few years, I've gone back to this good old reliable, and I'm loving it all over again. The patchouli-prominent drydown is amazing!

kenberlyc
kenberlyc

This is what a man should smell like! Green and spicy at first.Then you get that leather and tobacco blended in. Wow!When I first started dating the man who is now my husband this is what he wore. I loved it! I would steal his shirts so I could take them home with me, they smelled that good. He has tried other colognes, but this is by far my most favorite.

Yes, perhaps a dated scent, but still lovely in very small doses. Every guy in my High School wore this and you would choke walking down the halls, so it isn't necessarily a pleasant memory (and that tells you how old I am, too!) but it is a clean, clear scent and very fresh when used in careful moderation and really is very nice. If I have to be in a guy's personal space to smell this, it's great! If I can smell him coming down the street, it'll choke you.

Aredore
Aredore

Perhaps one of my most favorite scents in the world; leather, herbs and pine so strong, it's almost minty. I have memories of the famous green bottle as the only cologne on my fathers dresser. The spicy pine scent was permanently infused into all his work shirts.

This scent is meant to be dabbed lightly onto pulse points and left to sit and "mature" on the skin before going out. A super sexy, mature scent for a man with the maturity to wear it properly.

(Guys in your twenties and early thirties: Please DO continue to wear this. It's completely classic.)

shamus1

I don't wear Polo anymore because I'm tired of it and got about as much mileage I can from it. However, it's truly a classic that can be worn by any type of man on any occasion during any time of year. Its excellent balance of spiciness, fresness and warmth will ensure that Polo will never smell outdated. Polo deserves more credit than it's gotten recently (e.g., that it's outdated and too '80s). Saying that it can be recommdended to any man is not to say that it's dull or ubiquitous, but rather a testament to how good it is. I've reached the end of the line with Polo, but it truly defines what a classic scent is.

lilly m.
lilly m.

I think the one I've tried had gone bad. It opened with a smell of pine or something. A few minutes later it was ashtray all over the place; it was so overwhelming that everyone that got near the sample started laughing, it was really unbearable. Only after a few hours I could smell some green (maybe the cedar) on the ashtray. Maybe my friend's bottle was too old...

dancam86
dancam86

One of the greatest classics of perfumery. The chamomile and Basil are very strong, as well as the leather, pine and musk. Other notes are almost undetectable because of the strength of these components. This should be worn exclusively by older, mature and elegant men. Oh and you know... Professional polo players.

ZeeK
ZeeK

Complex fragrance? Yes! It is.. A composition that contains almost everything, Citrus, Grass, Floral, Leather, Spices, Woods, Musk, Tobacco but it has emerged a fragrance that is an absolute CLASSIC rose in 1978. It is for a mature wear whether a young mature or an old mature. Very strong at first but dry down is quite pleasant with tobacco, musk and woods. It can be classified as a formal winter fragrance not for a romantic wear in my conclusion and experience as well.

thomkallor
thomkallor

The ultimate green, the first power fragrance for men I was conscious of. Sweet and just a wee bit cloying if overapplied, but evocative of so many memories for me....college, my sexual coming of age, freedom from parental control. At the time, very common even on my bohemian college campus - worn both by preppy Midwestern lacrosse player and flamboyant piano major. Not unpleasant in and of itself, but best in smaller doses, as it is not a shy frag....to be honest, it's been a while since I've whiffed it. Definitely not in vogue today, but a classic I could see myself revisiting sometime.

Giorgio
Giorgio

A classic masculine fragance, strong, clean and complex. Very green. For those who aren´t afraid of power and substance in a fragance. Do not overaply! Great sillage and longevity.

Polo by Ralph Lauren 3.51 out of 5 based on 1188 ratings and 212 user reviews

Ralph Lauren 'Polo' Set 171 Value
Ralph Lauren 'Polo' Set 171 Value One Size
Ralph Lauren 'Polo' Set 171 Value One Size
Gift Set 0.5oz
Ralph Lauren The World of Polo Fragrance Coffret Black Bue Green Red Eau De Toilette 4x15ml 0.5oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Ralph Lauren Polo fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Ralph Lauren Polo, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Polo by Ralph Lauren. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Polo by Ralph Lauren represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.