Designers » R S » Chypre « Groups

Polo Crest Ralph Lauren for men
dislike

leather
herbal

Polo Crest by Ralph Lauren is a Chypre fragrance for men. Polo Crest was launched in 1991. Top notes are rosemary, artemisia, caraway, juniper berries, basil and bergamot; middle notes are carnation, jasmine, caraway, rose, pine tree needles and geranium; base notes are leather, amber, patchouli, musk, oakmoss and cedar.

Rosemary Artemisia Caraway Juniper Berries Basil Bergamot

Carnation Jasmine Caraway Rose Pine Tree Needles Geranium

Leather Amber Patchouli Musk Oakmoss Cedar

Polo Modern Reserve
Chevignon Brand Cologne

Polo Crest Fragrance Reviews

ShaverX
ShaverX

Wow polo Crest. I have not smelled this since maybe 1994. As a matter of fact this was the fragrance that I wore at my junior prom. I remember getting a sample of this when I bought versace versus, which took me forever to save up for and buy. This was next on my list but for some reason I couldn't find it anymore. Anyway I digress. Back to the sample I had.

Like many other have said it was like the green monster (which at that time I considered to be the ultimate un-affordable luxury)...It was similar but not as green and mossy, but rather more subdued and a bit more leather y. I remember liking it so much. I think I wore the whole sample that night. My brief stint with that fragrance was great. It was a great night and I can still remember the scent. it was better than the green monster and i liked the green monster alot back then. The green monster and kourous were what I thought real successful men should smell like back then.

krmarich
krmarich

After Monogram which is a forgotten classic as well and before Safari came Polo Crest. A flanker that is better than the original.

After years of searching, I found a reasonably priced bottle and snatched it up. I sampled this at the mall when it was released in 1991 and its been on my "to buy" list ever since. It vanished almost immediately. My wait is now over and I have a precious bottle in my collection.

Polo Crest is much more refined than its predecessor. It wont wear you like the big green monster Instead it is a pleasant chypre that only projects a few inches and makes you feel like you own the world.

It opens with the traditional Polo noisy notes herbal pine oakmoss. It quickly settles into a leather floral that is discreet, elegant and unique. Jasmine. rose and carnation all play well together with the oakmoss, vetiver and patchouli. Then it dries down to a woody amber musk that defines perfection.

Ralph Lauren is now just another fashion label, yet in 1991 was the epitome masculine status. Now you can find his stuff at a local thrift store all worn and faded. Polo Crest was that one brief shining moment of glory that will never return.

Scentsofwellbeing
Scentsofwellbeing

The greatest mens fragrance ever created by Ralph Lauren!

Why they discontinued this scent will go down as one of the greatest mysteries in fragrance history.

It was a more "modern" and "clean" version of Polo that was toned down, but still masculine and very wearable.

RL released Modern Reserve which is the fragrance that is most similar to this, but if I could have only one RL fragrance for the rest of my life..this would be it!

Redbeard
Redbeard

A sweet but no-nonsense bright green scent. I think there's a little mint and cilantro which tend to remind me of the original, but I can handle this version, whereas the original is just a spitefully bitter green to me, and has assured me that it does not want to be my friend. (unfortunately, the Crest bottle is just as tacky and dated as the original). Other than losing its slight lemon edge after the top dies, I don't find much change over time with this one. The herbs noted earlier keep the brightness a little more under control than in Bowling Green, whose brightness persists too far into the base and wears on me a little bit later in the day. One problem with Crest is that, even though I don't recall the exact smell of Pine-Sol, some of the sharpness on certain isolated sniffs makes me suspect what people refer to as Pine-Sol in other scents. Maybe it would smell a little more empathetic and less authoritarian if it had just a smidgen of Paco Rabanne-style soapiness? Still, it sure beats the fanatical in-your-face drill sargeant of the original Polo.

dolcethadon
dolcethadon

So I have a half full bottle of original Polo that my dad passed down to me and a almost empty bottle of Polo Crest.. When I first smelled both I thought that they smelled to dated and like an old man.. I never thought I would like them or wear either one.. As I got more and more into fragrances and my tastes developed things changed.. One day I sprayed the Polo bottle to see how it smelled again and I was amazed, something had changed.. It smelt so rich and unique! It is very powerful and a bit to over the top for me though but I love to keep it on my shelf and give it a whiff occasional.. Perhaps in the future I will try wearing it.. Than I got curious about the Polo Crest, so I sprayed it on my arm not long before I wrote this and all I can say is WOW! These two bottles took me to a whole different side of the fragrance world that I never knew existed.. Polo Crest smells amazing! It is still powerful but not as in your face macho like the original Polo.. The opening is like a blast of so many different things that I cant make out anything from it, it smells so different! It definitely retains a lot of the Polo DNA in it but it has its differences! It is more clean and not as dirty as the original.. Polo Crest is a powerful, sexy, exotic, and luxurious blend of herbs, spices, florals, leather, amber, patchouli, oakmoss, musk, and cedar! It smells very manly but it is so classy and luxurious! This is what real "masculine" fragrances are like, Polo & Polo Crest! If you are the type of guy that feels like these modern fragrances are not manly enough for you than you need some type of Polo.. Polo Crest smells a lot like the original but Crest is more pleasing to my nose.. Crest is so rich, deep, manly, dirty, but luxurious! There is some type of slight creaminess to this scent which is lovely.. I smell a lot of pine, cedar, jasmine, and just about every note listed! It is another lost MASTERPIECE! I can picture myself wearing this on a very special occasion in the future, when I want to feel luxurious but sexy in a very manly way!

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Polo Crest, sadly discontinued, remains in my opinion the finest masculine fragrance by RL. I like regular Polo quite a bit (although it's a touch difficult for me to wear), but for me this "refined" reinterpretation of RL's famed leathery chypre moves beyond the merely admirable and into the realm of truly breathtaking.

Crest is basically regular Polo in miniature, with a fresh bushel of Herbs de Provence up top, and a rich cedar note down below. Rosemary, caraway, thyme, lavender, and artemisia are all present, accounted for, and very pronounced, especially the artemisia, which grows stronger as Crest dries down. Connecting the herbs to the woods is Polo, recognizable but slimmed down, with its leathery element clipped and its patchouli sweetened just a bit.

The base exhibits a brusque, shimmering cedar accord, perhaps two or three different oils vying for attention, with all of cedar's fetid, aromatic, fresh, and turpene-like characteristics coming to the fore at various stages of wear. Artemisia, patchouli, and lavender remain detectable also, even after seven hours (longevity is pretty good). Still available at reasonable prices online and in brick-and-mortar stores, I suggest you make it a point to get a bottle or two before it completely disappears. Ralph, discontinue Blue, Black, and Double Black, and put all the production costs back into a re-release of Polo Crest, pretty-please.

williamvargas
williamvargas

i still have some of this wonderful fragrance and wear it every once in awhile, it still wows me with just how wonderful and manly it smells..always something nice heard about this one, i need to find some more one of these days. always liked the original polo but it was so strong sometimes it was a bit off putting, but this one has that similar vibe but so much quieter..but still gives you that fantastic scent trail, i used to have the aftershave balm and always loved the combination. fragrances come and go and some lose their popularity but you only have to get a whiff of this one to remember the magic.. thumbs way up..

dearchetan
dearchetan

The best!

This scent had already been discontinued when I came "on the scene". Many reviewers (elsewhere) praised this scent and I longed to have some for quite some time. My perfumed prayers were answered when Lana Lool sent me a very generous decant sprayer, and this was worth the wait (and no doubt) the hefty price paid for it.

I was one of the many who loved original Polo on others, (used in moderation) but could not actually stand it on myself until I was almost forty!! Modern Reserve was something I fell in love with at first sniff (I have the 4.2 oz bottle and it is over 1/2 empty...that says something!) as it took the overly green and sharp original and "smoothed off the edges" as it were and gave it a modern slim-fitting suit as opposed to one with wide lapels and flaring trousers. Whoever said: "If you want something to replace Polo Crest, buy Modern Reserve!", was not too far off the mark. Crests have always signified class, style luxury and privilege. POLO CREST is no exception.

Looking at those notes, I imagined this would be another "over the top" manly man aromatic that projected to the rafters and lasted for days, when nothing could be further from the truth. Even though lemon is NOT listed (bergamot is) I detect it. I get a clean and freshly citric scent layered with a superb blend of warm and subtle greens. Rosemary, juniper and basil...does it get any more verdant than these? Yes, actually it does, as some masterful Nose balanced these sharp aromatics with softer greens and warm caraway seeds. What a scent! The heart continues warmly but as the rowdy greens settle down refined and elegant masculine florals, like carnation and geranium, are balanced by rose and jasmine while pine keeps the whole "green" thing going; without overpowering it all (like a "Christmas tree" pine scent can). This is more of a hemlock or white/scotch pine scent...subtle yet there. The drydown of this classic male chypre has oakmoss (gorgeous) and cedar alongside a very soft leather and just enough patchouli and amber to smell luxurious and elegant, but still down to earth, without going all oriental. Polo Crest is done exceedingly well, and if you are looking for something "a cut above" most manscents this really is worth the investment. Classic, to me anyway, means having been around for more than one generation and still managing to NOT seem dated or trite. Crest is DEFINITELY a "classic", more so than the original mean & green, run you over with my pony and get a face full of grass original from the mid-seventies version is.

Sillage: good
Longevity: decent
Overall: 4.75/5

More refined and regal then the original Polo but a bit more classic than Modern Reserve; this scent, despite being something that your uncles or dads may have worn, is and always will be something quality and very classy. This, despite being discontinued, is something that has stood the test of time and retains its quiet elegance while remaing very manly and luxurious without any haughty airs or massive projection. Class never goes out of style, really...

I've only done one dab-to-the-wrist sampling. For the first couple of hours, it seemed quite similar to Polo Modern Reserve, then it took a sharp turn towards the soft, smooth, powdery (not iris, but more of a powdery amber), and sweet, like amber had come to the fore, with some patchouli too. I guess that would be the reason to pay the current prices for it, because if you just want that first two hours, then either Polo or Modern Reserve would be better, because they last longer with that kind of scent. If there is pine here, it is blended well into the fragrance. I like this, but I don't know if it's a "must have," probably because the drydown is a bit too "nice." Longevity and projection/"sillage" are at least very good, it seems.

Second wearing: Now it seems a bit more syrupy than powdery, but the interesting thing this time is that now it reminds me a lot of Red for Men by Giorgio of Beverley Hills (the original, not the reformulation). As with Red, you eventually get a woody phase with a pine element. Anyway, if you like the woody aspects of Polo Crest, I suggest sampling Caractere before spending a lot of money on it, because you might like Caratere better. If you're on a tight budget, you might want to sample Yatagan, that scent may have been the foundation upon which ones like Polo Crest were built.

NOTE: After wearing it yet again, it seems that this may work best if you apply it as a fine mist, which my full-size bottle does.

ShiseidoTactics
ShiseidoTactics

Un aroma bastante extraño y fuerte.

Stefan
Stefan

It's like Valentino Vendetta or Halston Z-14. If you like them you might like this, then again, you'll probably like them better. I'm 27 and if you're 60< maybe you'll get some secondary payoff, but this one is just played out. I'm sure your father or uncle at one time smelled like this.

Polo Crest by Ralph Lauren 4.06 out of 5 based on 56 ratings and 12 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Ralph Lauren Polo Crest fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Ralph Lauren Polo Crest, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Polo Crest by Ralph Lauren. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Polo Crest by Ralph Lauren represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.