Designers » R S » Woody Spicy « Groups

Polo Double Black Ralph Lauren for men

coffee
tropical

After the Paolo Black (2005), Ralph Lauren created the fragrance that is even more “black” - Polo Double Black. Regardless of the color, this fragrance is not heavy; it is a refreshing oriental with a recognizable opening (frozen mango). Aromatic – woody freshness of the forbearer is replaced by intensive spicy notes of Indonesian nutmeg, pepper and fried coffee. The base is composed of noble wood allied with spices (cardamom and fir). It was created by Ellen Molner in 2006.

Pepper Mango

Indonesian Nutmeg Roasted Coffee Beans

Juniper Berries Woodsy Notes Cardamom

Polo Black

Polo Double Black Fragrance Reviews

EnoughScents
EnoughScents

Such a unique and smooth scent, I consider this a loveable fragrance. However, as can be the case with love, this one is fleeting. Stays too close to the skin to be "the one." Don't be afraid to take a chance on this one, but also don't be too heartbroken if things just don't work out.

Ryanmmas26
Ryanmmas26

First initial wearing(1hr and a half in)-So far really digging this stuff ! Im really LOVING the mango in this and has been my favorite fragrance that has mango in it so far. Projection so far has been good and id say better than average. To me this scent is very unique,sexy,and very interesting.Im also excited to see how the coffee plays out in this fragrance. If this scent has decent longevity I see a future purchase :)

Update after 3 wearing:

So the more I wear this the more I love it. But there are downsides that keep it from being rated a 9 or 10 out of 10.

After getting more familiar with the scent what I get is a very nice Mango note that gives it a fruity feel and it says this has coffee but to me this smells like Mango mixed with a nutty flavor and cocoa. Theres no nutty or cocoa note but thats what it smells like to me for some reason. My girlfriend says this smells like a fruit smoothie and I can see why she says that(Note: Shes very picky but also said she really liked this fragrance and while she doesnt like the more peppery, and more mature frags she did enjoy this on me) As far as scent goes this to me really is unique and very pleasant. This is my new go to fragrance for when im in a dark and mysterious mood and also I see this being a go to in professional occasions that require me to be in close quarters with people :)

(Sidenote: This would be the perfect fragrance for someone that just wants a cologne thats going to be inoffensive and not choke anyone out)

Well, the smell to me is great but in terms of performance this is only ok ,but I do wish it could do better. This projects moderatly for 2 hours but then is a skin scent for the duration of the fragrance. This typical lasts anywhere from 4-6 hours which is ok but as much as I love this scent I do wish it would last longer and project a tad bit better.

As a final rating id give this a 7.5 out of 10 ! Thats being generous though. I should honestly rate this lower but because I love the smell so much and because its uniqueness Ill give this higher praise.

Its still 1 of my new favorites but again performance has caused this from being only a good fragrance rather than a great fragrance.

my god this stuff is good, my bottle got taken by customs (i forgot i had it in my bag) and that was probably the saddest day in my life, i watched the man throw it in a bin along with a whole lot of other bottles of things, and as he closed the lid, i realized that was the last time ill ever see my baby, and i miss her, but one day, we will be reunited.

Jerry Can
Jerry Can

This has been a blind purchase - and well worth it. I agree with all those that note the mango and coconut. The mango doesn't last beyond the top notes and is a variant on the (almost) ubiquitous citrus opening. It does smell of coconut - but not sweet. The coffee is less obvious. From the reviews of others I think I was anticipating a fresh ground coffee. It isn't. What is "fried coffee", anyone? Whatever it is, it won't smell like anything you'll find at Starbucks and Costa.

The longevity is questionable, but I think it is more a sillage issue - the scent does last better than I first thought but stays very close to the skin. It is a lovely fragrance - the best from Ralph Lauren in a long time. I feel chilled wearing it. The bottom line is that I really do love Double Black by RL.

RIVERA FRAGRANCE FANATIIC
RIVERA FRAGRANCE FANATIIC

I have to agree with the statistics. This cologne has an awesome scent but wont last on your skin! And that sucks because every good fragrance deserves a good longevity.. And this has this problem...but besides this I LOVE IT...wearing as a spring or summer night is the secret. If you use during winter is going to die :(. RATE 8/10

dmirror
dmirror

Polo double black kind of smells like coconut its decent I like the original better this one's a little sweeter original is fresher double black 3/5 and the original 4.5/5

Jassar
Jassar

Never expected this to be so good. So much better than Polo Black. Don't let the double black fool you. It is not a really dark scent.

Starts out with an amazing mango fruit scent. It does not start out as a chemical mess like so many fragrances do. The mango is the star.

The mid is smooth mango fruit mixed with a smooth cacao type scent. There is a tiny bit of coffee but not too much like Givenchy Play Intense. The mid is superb. It has an almost tropical feel to it.

The base is great also but not as good as the top and mid.

Double Black is smooth. There are no harsh notes like so many designers. This borders on gourmand occasionally but is never foody. Dark tropical sexy scent describes it best. I despise about 95% of all fragrances, but this is really good.

The longevity and sillage are not great but it is deceiving. When you get warm it starts to activate again and you will catch wafts of it. I do not want a room filling scent. I want a small personal bubble especially because I work in a professional environment around the public. Perfect for spring and fall and summer nights.

Yellow Daisy
Yellow Daisy

This is definitely smells so great! Got it for hubby as a gift hope he loves it! Its just a nice very nice masculine scent.

bjl8691
bjl8691

I enjoy the scent alot the disappointment is the longevity is terrible and sillage what sillage

MrStinky
MrStinky

I like this fragrance very much. It's very pleasant and nonoffensive. Good anytime. However...

...the sillage & longevity really need to be improved. Because of this I consider it highy overpriced. I purchased some samples off eBay to try it out.

When I try a new cologne, I spray some on before I go to bed. If I can still smell it when I get up then I'm happy. This one left no trace & was undetectable.
Unless they improve it I'm saving my money.

soloManolo
soloManolo

This is something else...the way it combines mango and pepper, makes it really one of a kind.never smelled something like this before.uplifting and masculine.

scentgent
scentgent

I love this scent. It could have been EPIC if it only was stronger projection-wise.

Mango and pepper opening. The pepper stays with the fragrance the whole way, but coffee is in the heart.

Sillage: 4/10 (Strong scent trail for 30 minutes, then it falls off the face of the earth)
Longevity: 5/10 (3-4 hours on me)
Projection: 4/10 Great for 30 minutes)
Versatility: 10/10
Scent: 10/10 (Potentially best top in the fragrance game)
Compliments: 2/10 (only complimented once on this through 60 mL of use)
Overall: 6/10

This has "professional" written all over it. This is a safe fragrance.

Worth a buy, but only if discounted. I use 5 sprays to get the job done.

PeteUK
PeteUK

Spicy, woody, smooth, not too sweet or feminine and the coffee is a bonus! Good for evening wear. People say it doesnt last but i seem to get 6+ hours from it which isnt too bad. The only problem was when i came to buy a full size bottle was that i couldnt find it anywhere in the UK (even online). Ended up getting some shipped from the US i liked it so much. Really hope they dont discontinue this all together.

If your looking for a smooth, masculine, slightly spicy, rich scent, try it.

gianmarco
gianmarco

If longetivity was good on this, it would be a killer. Unfortunately this cologne does not last, fades away after 1 hour as if i never sprayed it. Amazing masculin scent though.

devynm
devynm

Smells great! Its not your average scent either. I don't really care if this seems more like a night-time scent just because its "black", Ill wear it to school! I have got some compliments too. The opening mango is pleasant and fresh, and the drydown is creamy and sweet. Lots of people say this has bad longevity and sillage, but this will last about 7 hours on me where people still notice its smell. Not complaints here!

Mr.Bobby.N
Mr.Bobby.N

I'm with Hansito on this.

I think this is noticably better than the standard Polo Black, but it fades to nothing with 30-60mins on my skin.

Great GREAT scent, but too expensive for a smell that dissappears quickly. Still, one cannot deny how good it is.

---------------------------------------------
SILLAGE: average
LONGEVITY: poor
SCENT: Excellent!
VALUE FOR MONEY: poor

OVERALL: 8/10
---------------------------------------------

BenjaminDallas
BenjaminDallas

At first the smell is very masculine and reminds me of nightlife. The main problem I have with this cologne is the lack of longevity. I would give it 2 hours before the smell completely disperses. If you like the polo brand check out polo black (not double black) as it is much better.

hansito
hansito

I love this frag but sillage and longevity are extremely poor.

gd15329
gd15329

I’ve checked some of the POLO line today with high expectations, but unfortunately I was let down...
OVERALL: Not a bad teenage scent 9-15 years of age. Nothing more than that.

perfume Big Pony 2: chocolate? Where? No-no-no just a clean linear un-spiced musky scent

perfume Polo Black: fruity? You are joking right? You’ve must be joking... This was the greenest smell (weak though) I’ve ever smelled (and God I hate greens so much – damn you GIT- sorry I just have to say that out loud) Even the seller told me “fruity? On the contrary sir, you’ve must be mistaken. It’s very masculine though, buy it” (I gave her the Sheldon's look of exhaustion and ever so slight amusement for that)

perfume Polo Double Black: Now this was quite interesting (very weak skin scent) but... no coffee not a hint.

perfume Polo Explorer: Now, If had a gun on my head obliging me to buy one polo it would be this one definitely – the best of what I tried from polo line so far. But... you get the picture...

Redbeard
Redbeard

I had mentally pitted this against Armani Code since I bought them at the same time, and had nearly forgotten both. By comparison, this starts out as a stronger, nuttier wood with mango. Very soon the initial spices lose some of their sweetness and become greener and dustier. It's surprisingly dry, both in the sense of not sweet (for a gourmand!) and in its aura of fallen autumn leaves, or a well-executed christmas scented candle; I think this is how my brain is dealing with the hint of coffee. Even though it has some of the usual Ralph Lauren super-synthetic character, it's much less overbearing and more convincingly real than most of their others. It weakens quite a bit by the end, actually falling behind the strength of Code's base notes. Still, the vague nutty wood carries through to the end, and I'm optimistic that with a proper wearing it would remain present but translucent. One of their best, by a wide margin, and surprisingly unique.

It seems like in this case some people get captivated by the top notes, especially the mango, but many say it doesn't last long enough and that the drydown is too weak. I don't get much of the mango, though I try to avoid most of the top notes, and the drydown is actually too strong for me (1 or 2 sprays to the chest). I should qualify that statement by pointing out that it's no so much that it is overpowering as that it doesn't change, and tends to get a bit irritating. What I then do is to try and weaken it with a damp paper towel. In any case, this is reasonably natural smelling and offers good note contrast/separation and dynamism. There is a mild fougere accord (not of the herbal variety) but it never dominates, and you do get the coffee note clearly, unlike in some other scents where it's listed. However, if someone said this one has a note clash, I would not argue with them; it's really about personal preference. Overall, I am a fan of this kind of idea, but for some reason this particular composition seems to get irritating after a few hours, though I don't know why (perhaps one of the wood aroma chemicals used). Since I have a large rotation, I will wear it every few months to see if I can tolerate it better.

seanscented
seanscented

At the top note it's remind me of Guess suede (casual) but at dry down it's very elegant, for formal use i think!

colognefan85
colognefan85

Polo double Black is by far the best out of the House of Polo, as it has its own originality out of the line. The opening has a sharp almost metallic note of Mango on the top thats very distinctive. Its infused with a light iced cofee scent that mixes well. The opening is one of the best Ive smelt. Mixed between a gourmand and a fresh aromatic. As it drys down its a light woody base, but still hold that iced coffe note. The projection is low, longevity is high. I can honestly say this has to be one of the BEST night put fragrances besides Le Nuit.

hornetz
hornetz

Who knew Mango, Coffee and cardamom would make such an excellent combination. Polo Double Black is a nice gourmand woodsy scent that is perfect for evening and romantic events. Seems more reserved for cooler weather, nevertheless an excellent scent that I had been gifted with and really enjoy it from top notes to dry down. The longevity is pretty good and lasts quite a while before becoming a subtle skin scent. If you are looking for a unique fragrance Polo Double Black should be on your list.

Ups925
Ups925

Great manly scent. Ive been stopped in my tracks by women, grabbing my arm, asking what I am wearing. Nice rich manly scent. Iced mango with a chocolate background, fades to coffee and chocolate with a fresh tinge to it. Lasts forever, and the aftershave splash is very kind to my skin. Great for dates, since it falls into a fresh gourmand category.

Mr. CG White
Mr. CG White

Dark and mysterious are the two words that come to mind when I think about this one. Polo Double Black, Polo Blue and Polo Explorer are the best in the line in my opinion. Double Black did not disappoint me one bit and I can pick out just about every note that's in it. Even though I do love this quite a bit I don't want to smell like every tom,dick and harry out there since this is so popular for good reason. I don't always reach for Polo Double Black but when I do, I smell Dark and Mysterious. Stay fragrant my friends.

ldanjr@yahoo.com
ldanjr@yahoo.com

I will not pretend to be a scent specialist or explain every little "note," but I've been wearing this cologne for a while now and I have to admit that I like it quite a bit. I was wearing Polo Black before I decided on this one, and I really don't notice the similarities between the two. My wife, who is 25, claims that although she really likes double black, she prefers regular black (probably because she's the one that picked it). Double black is a bit less subtle than regular, which is most likely why I seem to get more compliments than I did with the regular.

Polo Double Black is a heavy yet incredibly sexy fragrance for men. The coffee really adds to the composition, but rather than being a gourmand, Polo Double Black smells spicy, herbal and woodsy.

The masculinity of this fragrance could never be questioned. It's just like a well-dressed man, with some designer stubble, drinking a hot mug of espresso. I believe this fragrance to be quite popular, as I swear I've smelt it on a few men before.

Some reviewers have noted that you'll either love the sweet mango top note, or hate it. I personally enjoy it, as I think it adds to the predominantly spicy and woodsy composition, freshening it up with a subtle hint of fruit.

Ralph Lauren is a popular brand amongst young men, so I wouldn't be surprised if Polo Double Black can be found in their bathrooms or in their bedroom drawers. I see it as quite a versatile fragrance, so I think it would suit just about any man of any age.

Polo Double Black bears some resemblance to Armani Attitude, especially in regards to the dominant coffee accord. They're both great scents, but if I had to pick one for a significant other, I would definitely go for the slightly longer lasting Polo Double Black.

halftwintowers
halftwintowers

Though I'm not a fan of the Polo Brand, Polo DB happens to be quite enjoyable. On the initial spray, you're greeted with the frozen mango (which I believe makes this different enough to be included in any rotation). Immediately after that, the spices, woods, and coffee will takeover and leave you with a seductive, masculine smelling aroma for 4-6 hours. It helps to spray this fragrance at least 3 times (1 neck, 1 chest, and maybe 1 to your clothing). After the mango, this scent becomes pretty linear and it sits pretty close to the skin which makes it a perfect date night scent for cooler to mild weather. Even though the price tag is a little much for this particular fragrance, it's interesting enough to wear with no regrets... I just wish the mango would last through the life of the fragrance.

RemingtonSteele
RemingtonSteele

Probably the best Ralphie to come out in the new millenium. Very sexy frag, I know it's not listed but I sometimes get a coconut vibe off this as well..Smells fantastic!

marioslg3
marioslg3

This is cousin to the original Polo Black but not so sweet and fruity. Imagine the same composition adding coffee and black pepper and you get polo double black. It is masculine and can be used in all seasons. The mango note is obvious but not so strong as Polo black. I would say a more mature version of the first one, not necessarily better. I like both, i prefer original for the top middle notes and this one for the dry down.

rlee84
rlee84

I guess I lucked out because this does okay on my skin in terms of longevity and sillage. I'll admit that I have low expectations when it comes to Polo frags but I was pleasantly suprised by this. I got 3-4 hours of good (not great) projection then it played closer to the skin. It lasted a good 6 to 7 hrs on me and it is a huge compliment getter. People always pick up on a slight hint of cocoa but they can't quite say for sure because of the other notes. It's a keeper in my book along with Polo Blue. All other RL frags.........no thanks.

Tonage
Tonage

Been thinking what to say about this fragrance for a long time without sounding too cliche but whatever...
- the best
- smells really good
- very pleasing to the nose(long inhale, eyes rolling back moment)
- its just that good
- try it, buy it, you wont regret it

raiyanhasin
raiyanhasin

Opening with half-ripened mango note and drying down with a dark chocolaty-coffee note. Mango note is very alluring and is the sole reason that I like this as a scent.

However, for the price, I won't necessarily recommend this to anyone. If you enjoy mango note and a tropical-dark fragrance and have a bit of money to spend, buy it. However, personally inclined towards longevity and projection, I don't think this is worth the price though as it evaporates real fast. Would've been the best Ralph Lauren scent if it had passed on those departments.

You can expect compliments left and right if it works on your skin.

Dongban2012
Dongban2012

Double the disappointment? I used to like it, but poor sillage, projection and longevity on my skin. Scent is okay while it last and stick to my skin. Maybe I'll try it on warmer days but this Fall/Winter won't be in the rotation. The Polo Blue has better sillage and longevity than this. The Polo Black i gave away to my brother in law, same issue. DB I prefer as far as scent but need more potency and intensity.

rainman36
rainman36

My one and only polo fragrance that I like,nothing tops this one.

tastetherainbow87

I thought maybe I got a old bottle or maybe a fake all I got out of this was pepper &mango where the sweetness don't get coffee note at all it's smell good I like. It just wish I could smell the coffee. Note :--(

kida2010
kida2010

I've always wanted to fall in love with this one, if only ih had the coffee amped up a bit so it was more pure. I get quite a high blast of mango and pepper at the same time which is still nice but it takes it down the sweet/fruity/coffee vibe :S
Its still a lovely fragrance and i may buy another bottle, one of the few designer ones where you can pull apart the notes and pretty much smell everything in it. If it had the mango note missing i may well have gone nuts for it!

jaxxsun
jaxxsun

I went threw the entire bottle and wore this daily. I really liked how it smelled. I received a fair amount of compliments, especially at close range. It for me was one of those colognes that did not knock women over but, it sure made them smile

harlemmal
harlemmal

Very good scent but once you realize how great the scent smells its gone. Lol

nszlufik
nszlufik

Nice. Smells eerily similar to Guess Suede and reminds me of Euphoria with the sweet suede/leathery smell.
Rich sweet smell. Not feminine in its sweetness but still a little sweet for my tastes.

Energi
Energi

Very laid back, versatile spray. Fits any occasion. 8/10

anas87
anas87

Nice one . i love it ;)

NHIndian24
NHIndian24

This is a very good cologne, but I'm not sure if I will buy another bottle or not. It's definetly gourmand and smells strongly of coffee. The middle is ok, mainly because the pepper overpowers everything except the coffee, and pepper and coffee just don't smell right together, at least to me, but thankfully it doesn't last too long. But the base is amazing with creamy coffee, nutmeg and woody notes. Sillage is ok at about 3 feet, and projection lasts around 6-8 hours before you can't even smell it any more. Works well as a year round fragrance, but works best in fall. This and the original Polo are the best Ralph Lauren has offered.

tastetherainbow87

This smell so damn good :---)

dromidreza
dromidreza

casual friday by escada.....درسته.بوی این عطر من رو یاداین عطرمحبوبم میندازه ولی کمی ملایم تر.در ضمن به پای اون نمیرسه.هم گرمه هم خنک..

hotaru
hotaru

This is a macho scent that any guy who has the right quirk should try.I think I said that only because my husband wears this one and it screams Mr.Bombastic on him, and his friend apparently gets the same hint as I do; but it turns out to smell like the Scarecrow on him - if you get the metaphor, of course-

So, I barely notice if there was any 'mango' or something freshy-fruity out of Double Black, but I'm sure that this fragrance starts as crisp and light; earthy and woody. Then in about an hour it gets smooth and creamy with a hint of wood scent. At this part it lasts for 5hours or more. We live in the tropics, and it's perfect on a colder nights.What I love most from this fragrance is the smoky part that emerges right about an hour after application [on his clothes, not his skin]. It's very 'velvety', a rich, well-blended, warm and sweet scent that is not stickin on the top of your mouth-sweet.It's a creamy but light sweet kind of thing.
The dry down is ultimately sexy.
You want a lady in your arm? Well, this one is a good bait.With the right quirk, anyway

Mike3979
Mike3979

Love it

Zenith
Zenith

I tried out almost every polo available during a sale and decided that this was by far the best. Absolutely lovely from start to finish, with the distinct coffee note with some fruit (sorry, does NOT smell like mango to me)

The only drawback is unfortunately a bit of a dealbreaker is the longevity. Lasts only for about three hours on me.

This to me is smart casual. Wear it on a short date, but something stronger if you want to smell awesome all day

Fragrancelover2012
Fragrancelover2012

I was at Dillards today shopping in their Ralph Lauren section and on the check out counter they had a tester bottle of this so i spray some on my wrist , I liked it alot it has a sweet smell with just a hint of spiciness to me. my birthday is next January and i'm deciding between purchasing this,A-Men, Ed Hardy Villian For Men , Dolce & Gabbana The One or Dolce & Gabbana The One Gentleman! Well my b-day is not til 2013 but I like to think way ahead! Decisions,Decisions! Out of the 5 fragrances i'm deciding between what any of you reccomend?!

Dougczar
Dougczar

I found this smells very similar to Armani Code. But slightly less formal. If you like Armani Code, but want something slightly more casual, you may want to give this a try.

MOMOOO
MOMOOO

very good and unique but poooooor longevity

one of the best from ralph lauren when it comes to smell only great mango opening great soft coffe but longevity & projection ohhhh shame on you ralph lauren why always that problem in your fragrance
smell 8 / 10
long 5 / 10
proj 5 / 10

gio
gio

Finallllllllllllllllllly i got ittttttttttttttttt its an amazing fragrance....super unique....fresh and warm at the same time....you should try it

ericrico
ericrico

In no particular order, great reviews are provided here by Mushroomfat, originaldeftom, aquila_2009, and baronbvp! Excellent points, gentlemen.

Mushroom fat picked up the juniper berries - which is a great note in parallel with cardamom. A spicy, earthy, and slightly sweet base with some integrated wood (but not overly woody). I love the top blast of frozen mango - brilliant & refreshing! The heart warming up with fried coffee...interesting, "fried"? I get more of a whole bean vibe as its not overly ground - but, okay, we agree there is a nice warm coffee accord. Well done.

The pepper is key here as it lifts the fragrance in the middle (although it is listed as top note), I personally find it after the frozen mango awakes your senses and gives you something unique. Another key to this bottle is the nutmeg is well integrated not overdone (sometimes, less is more) - and with nutmeg and coffee in the composition...this could have been served in a Starbucks cup with nutmeg dust all over the lid IF it was done wrong. Thankfully, it wasn't.

Which is why I personally consider Polo Double Black to be the best of Ralph Lauren's house & THE only bottle I will purchase from them. I may sample something at the mall, because I know it will be off of me before I leave in less than two hours from any other fragrance they put out. And that's assuming I didn't wear a great fragrance when I went to the mall already and I'm willing to pollute my skin. Last time, I shot a small amount on a test strip of another Polo "whatever" with a stripe or number-on-it bottling (and a small amount on my arm close to my inner elbow). The sales associate asked what I was doing with a look of shock - I told her...not wasting a full-wearing of Vintage Guerlain Vetiver. She looked like someone just told her she had a bad boob job! ;-)

Bottom line - this is very good juice and I like it, a lot. I actually feel originaldeftom is spot on - wear it liberally for formal occassions or with casual attire (the whole spectrum works with this juice)...and know that you will need to re-apply it at least once to get a full daytime wear out of it - even more if you want to have on you into the night. Longevity is still an issue - I get 3-4 hours out of a nice 6-7 spray application in cool weather (I expect better in Spring/Summer evenings). And, yes - I find this to be a year-round scent. It must be sprayed on your clothes too, but even that doesn't make it a loud scent at all. Projection is moderate, but adequate. Actually, very nice for intimacy and office settings. Not loud. And, with this scent...it may lead to intimacy in an office setting! ;-)

Final score - 8/10 for pure scent. Longevity & Projection - 6/10.

**Update** - worn in Spring and early Summer - sunny day, warm and now hot! I like it best in the warm climate as well as cooler, but it shows very nicely in the summer heat (better in evenings, though). I feel a fragrance like this is more about attire & setting - casual or formal. For casual - year-round and have fun with it. For formal (business, occasions) - I think more apropos in cooler weather)...but a sunny Spring daytime wear with a suit or button shirt is not offensive. This has a bit of gourmand flair and a uniqueness to it.

Something draws me back to it. And, it has to be how the snap of the frozen mango and sprinking of pepper and nutmeg on the coffee note with cardamom and juniper are all here to do one thing - awaken my senses. This is not too loud at all though and the restrained nature is actually soothing. A bit pardoxical. Stimulating & soothing all at once...final score 7.5/10. Best of the Polo house and still the only bottle of anything with Polo label I will buy for my collection!

newerdeal
newerdeal

PUNCHY PUNCHY wow this was strong first spray but maybe I was overly excited getting my new toy and put too much on. After I picked myself up off the floor and the dry down came it was nice. Peppery spicy full of presence excellent masculine scent. Very good imo for everyday use and lasts a long time. Again maybe I used too much but I could smell it all day and it was fairly strong. I was shocked by the fruity smell that popped up midway through the day that was a great surprise. It scored big with the women. I caught one woman actively sniffing my wake, another a few feet away actively asking if she smelled cinnamon and another that came over and actively sniffed me. Never had that happen even with expensive fragrances. Get it if your goal is snaring the opposite sex in your sexy web of smell good.

90hou
90hou

just like in the coffee shop, great!
love it.

andy
andy

Polo double black is a much darker, more sophisticated fragrance than the other polo fragrances and it really has a much more masculine smell and follows the trend of fresh oriental fragrances

$$
$$

I luv it smells like armani night!AWESOME!!

Limelight

I guess i was too general with my previous post. Let me say that Polo Double Black is almost always my first choice when deciding which cologne to wear. It is difficult to put too much on, yet it smells great no matter how much you put on. Very masculine. I have recieved many compliments from women with the standard line,"What are you wearing?" I think it can be worn for almost any occasion. Not overpowering, but will stay with you for a long time.Wait for the drydown because that is where the magic comes in. No doubt in my mind that i will be buying another bottle when this one is empty. This is my #1 and is my signature scent, winter, spring, summer or fall.

Count_de_Farussi
Count_de_Farussi

Best For Fall & Winter Seasons. Not too Heavy or "loud". The fragrance is kind of woodsy with an oriental under tone. Smooth & Masculine.

jodee
jodee

What can I say? So nice! Love this more than the original Polo Black. Double B is the way to go.! The coffee/nutmeg notes are sure to please. I don't smell the mango though, kinda glad I don't cause I don't know if I dig mango. Spicy, woody and sexy! Like I am deep in a dark cocoa bean forest..Love it. Mmmmm.

yilmazg
yilmazg

Well ok this is Black :) Polo Black was not. Oriental with a gourmand twist. Although sweet, it is very masculine. The coffee is dominant. Forget the mango. This cologne is not fuity at all. Sweet and spicy with a great coffee note. The sillage is average but longevity is pretty good. Becomes sweeter as it dries down.

If you love coffee themed colognes you will love this. Or if you love Rochas man but find it unisex Polo Double Black is the one you are looking for. Great for Autumn and winter day or evening time. Highly recommended.

Overall 7.5/10

greystone
greystone

This is a much better cologne then the original Polo Black.The dry down to this one is much more manly and less fruity then the original Black.This fragrance still opens up fruity but its a much more pleasent fruit scent then in the original and over all a much more masculine cologne.

WilliamY
WilliamY

I picked up the 75mL bottle from a clearance sale for $30! What a find! The first thing that impressed me was the look of the bottle. Really handsome looking! Rugged and robust. The smell was just what I was looking for. A deep, spicy, woody smell. This cologne smells even better after about 20 min or so. I detect traces of powdery lavender or vanilla in the dry down. It mellows out really nice throughout the day. Like a fine wine! Starts with a refreshing mango scent and by the evening this cologne turns into a different animal, its velvety sweetness perfect for a romantic evening out. Although the name makes it sound like a heavy scent, this could be worn on summer days either day or night. More for a smart casual or suit man, rather than a clubber. More for an intimate dinner instead of an office setting. Its look and scent more for a man, not a boy.

Projection - not so good. have to be up close to smell it. But then again I just apply one spray.

Longevity - excellent. I can still detect the scent after a shower.

conclusion - my new signature scent! Very versatile! Manly and complex yet not overpowering and obnoxious. A comforting scent.

mrt2196
mrt2196

although i have run into some longevity and projection problems, the scent is great. i wore this to a party and people just came in close and smelled my neck. since everyone there who was wearing cologne put too much on, i put 5 sprays and people really noticed it. it didnt project veryfar, but well enough so someone could still smell me. and yeah me and everyone i have asked love this smell. Note: the young girls like it, and the milfs go nuts over it.

ViolinTiara
ViolinTiara

Tested it over e counter, I was so deeply drawn to this smell.... Bought it for my bf and each time he is using this scent I just can't stop smelling him and it drives me crazy...

jidx
jidx

The best of all RL scents. Projects well, lasts all day. You can't go wrong with this one. A definite must buy!

seaofghosts
seaofghosts

When my boyfriend wears this, I want to eat his neck.

emilimo701
emilimo701

At first, I derided this fragrance based on its poor projection. But boy oh boy does this have great longevity and complexity. This is just a comforting fragrance that I have tested twice and it has surprised me both times.

rehabnursevanessa
rehabnursevanessa

My boyfriend wears this and when he does...look out! He has several other Polo colognes and this is, by far, the one that I love the most. When he wears it, I cannot help but nuzzle his neck. Very sexy!

Limelight

Just an amazing scent that remains low key for the majority of the time you are wearing it. One of my favorites. I would not consider this a powerful cologne, just a classy, fresh, cozy, masculine scent.
Dont buy this if you are trying to impress everyone in the room with what cologne you are wearing, but you just want to smell great.

jr

Polo Dbl Blk is his FAVORITE! Discovered his bottle was almost empty and that he's been sparingly, savoring every last drop. Wanted him to try something new, just for variety but he DEMANDED Polo Dbl Blk or nothing at all! Therefore, purchased the 4.2 oz for Christmas 2010, (taking Glen Beck's advise to "Stock Up", before TEOTWAWKI, I guess?) His cup now "runneth over". I watched him immediately smile and take possession of his new gift! The king is now well pleased on his throne, lol. It was a tough year and he deserved a small gift. Will get an atomatizer for travel if necessary. Polo Dbl Blk is great year round, for any occassion and excudes happiness and confidence for both business and pleasure. In other words, if your man is a minimalist and you're looking for a signature scent for any age, this is one to consider. He loves the look and feel of the bottle whether to toss around, drop it in a bag or it's simple yet sleek appearance on the counter. I also purchased Polo Blue to add to his collection. We'll see if he likes the variety or if one wins over the other....Happy New Year 2011 to All!

ganeshcfc
ganeshcfc

Hats off to RL for this great masterpiece..This was my first try under the house of RL and the first spray sent me to the moon. Somehow it makes me feel so sexy and unique everytime i spray this on.

Projection? Good.
Bottle? Sexy

Negative? This juice does not last long on my skin. Average of 3-4 hours.

7.5/10

Heart ***
Base ***
Final score **

Partial wearing.

The good
It's pleasant all around, no sharp facets or surprises. At least it's versatile and wearable.

The bad
Boring, there are much better safe scents to choose from.
I couldn't really tell it's got mango and coffee.

The ugly
Despite the fact the sample I tried was old, it's got the lowest sillage and longevity I've ever seen.

Why would I pay for this?

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

Easily the best Ralph Lauren, i got this as a gift for helping an important person in my company, and evidentally, he has really good taste.
I have trouble reading this one. When I try, I can get deep, spicy wood, coffee heart and fruit on top. Not so much the mango, but something fruity.
It's hard to say if the silage is good on me but it seems fine to me, I can smell it well on a colleague whom also wears it, havent noticed a problem with longevity., it's still on my shirt the next day. Not quite potent enough to show off on a night out though.
Professional and slightly romantic.

I'm quite sad to see my Polo DB run out ;__;
"Must...*ugh*..replace...."

Upon recently replacing this bottle, ive noticed a lil something hard to pick with the end-drydown period of this fragrance, which I have now discovered is juniper berries in the base. What an unboxed idea! Thats the odd, spicy sweetness I detect 3-4 hours after application to my wrist.
There's alot of designers I'm repeatedly disapointed by, Ralph is a well-offender. But Double Black is getting more and more loveable the more I smell it and I have to take my hat off to them and beg please, please follw in these steps! Stop with the dull, pretty, ich boy scents you're produceing and move around your more edgy stylings of Double Black and Explorer.

baronbvp
baronbvp

Another of my go-to scents. Delightful instant mango transitions to a peppery, woody coffee. A true man's scent. Great for summer nights or in fall day or night. Needs some liberal application to last, but the light sillage doesn't intrude. Women love it! So will you.

yudisuseno
yudisuseno

smells like mango a bit too much on my skin, poor longevity.

test it on your skin, the story's quite different with test paper and you don't want to put test paper evrywhere on your i body i believe

ArkangeL
ArkangeL

I think I'm becoming hooked on gourmand fragrances. There's one thing most of my favorites seem to have in common... A*Men, A*Men Sunessence, Pure Malt, Rochas, Polo Double Black. COFFEE. They all contain coffee. I feel like I need to try everything that has coffee in it. Polo Double Black doesn't exactly contain enough coffee and spices to be considered a gourmand. It's on the "clean" side, but it's also somewhat dark as well and the mango keeps it from becoming too dark. It keeps the sun up a little. PDB is Polo Black's evil twin, only it comes off as pleasant and inviting.

tonziin
tonziin

is my favorite so far. He is strong and sweet, plus a tasty sweet. All Double Black, fixing on me for five hours. Excellent perfume.

guest_veronika
guest_veronika

Nothing new to me did I smell in this bottle. This cologne truly is Christian Dior "Fahrenheit 32" by Ralph Lauren.

instantjim
instantjim

This is really my kind of fragrance! I tested this one while I was killing some time at a shopping centre, so my review is based on this brief encounter...

The rich opening is almost mouth watering, the pepper and mango mixes together to give a similar sort of effect to the cactus and pimento in Givenchy's Xeryus Rouge.

It is not long before the intense woodiness comes through and I am transported back to the 1980's when I was a teenager. Back then I attended a gym where there was a sauna. The sauna was lined with cedar wood and the smell was amazing.

On the card I sprayed it upon it still smells potent 8 hours after spraying it.

Many have commented on the poor sillage and longevity, but to me it is quite strong.

Veedabestchef
Veedabestchef

This is fantastic fragrance by RL..Polo Double black is soft and warm feeling..Its great for winter time..The sweetness is wonderful..I love the smell of mango..and coffee makes it a warm feeling..This is great for special occasion or a date..Its very sexy and masculine scent at the same time..It last on my skin for about 6 to 8 hours..but around 3 hours or so..it'll fade away and no one will smell you, unless they get real close about 2 feet..I tried this at work the other day and i get good compliments.....a fantastic fragrance but not my favorite line in Ralph lauren..i still love polo blue...

jazz444
jazz444

The samples I got of this sent me right back to the department store to purchase a bottle. I love the mango as an interesting counterpoint to the coffee notes. Smooth and strong; when the woods kick in, it can even become too strong. Used with a light hand, it's quite special.

Damani Code
Damani Code

The matte black bottle and logo support the mask upon this scent. It is mysterious, rich and lurking. It does nto smell like honey but IMO has the concept: rich, suble, the closer you get the sweeter the smell. Perfect for the intimate moments.

periquito89
periquito89

eyeteach12 mentioned Code. This could be a cross between Code and Emporio Armani Night He, but more restrained then those two. Code is more pleasant though, and I'd take it. Aeternitas said "Dark, enigmatic", and this seens reasonable. In my opinion better than Polo Black, where the rotten mango smell becomes very disturbing during hot weather (and it supposed to be a fresh scent). When smelled next to Polo Black, Double Black really seens to be an oriental.

logaritmakosinus
logaritmakosinus

this perfume is very enticing. men should try. I cant forget d smell on my man

aktp-iciook
aktp-iciook

Polo double black is a classy aromatic fragrance. It fulfills a missing gap in sillage and longevity of Polo Black, IMHO. Even though Double black smells similar to its brother, I find it more potent, projective and longer-lasting. I just noticed that I always fall for fragrance with Cardamom and Nutmeg and so does Double Black.

Cardamom allows a fragrance to be masculine yet romantic in its sweetness, IMHO.

I strongly agree with "alexkos" that Double black can be a good alternative to PR 1 Million. I would recommend "Diesel Fuel For Life" too for a sake of sweetness despite amber being a source.

Sillage is great on my skin and longevity is incredibly long. I can still smell it on my scarf I prayed on a couple of weeks ago.

All in all. 10/10 for me. Ideal for men needing to wear less common fragrance. Thank you for reading :)

guest_mexico39
guest_mexico39

El polo double black es un perfume que para mi gusto lo encuentro demasiado fuerte cuando te lo acabas de poner huele algo agradable pero a medida que pasan las horas el olor se pone muy especiado exageradamente y es por eso que a mi no me gusta para, ahora el polo black es lo mejor que a tirado al mercado ralph lauren me encanta.

saint2006
saint2006

Purchased my first Polo Double Black without testing it about 15mins ago. I pulled it out of the box to show a friend. It slips out of my hands onto his kitchen floor, and breaks the neck of the bottle. The entire contents were on the floor in seconds. I was shocked!! Smells amazing, and so does his kitchen. Going back to get another....

manuel-okey
manuel-okey

hello. i have to say what this is a wonderfull fragrances .the ladies will love you .this fragrance will be with you all the day .is elegant .not cheap smell .lots of compliments from women and mens .is a fragrances for lovers .

Goofy
Goofy

polo double black is very alluring , strong and long lasting .

minister smellgood
minister smellgood

This is a refined, classy and sexy cologne which is to be worn when you got on a shirt and tie

alexkos

Update: Very good alternative for people, who like Paco Rabanne 1 Million, but feel it too sweet and feminine.

alexkos

I bought it yesterday at a wonderful discount and I am so happy for it.
Very warm, sweet at the beginning, but only for few minutes. Masculine, but not hard or sharp scent, just some great aroma, that comes and goes from time to time. Perfect combination, not rich in ingredients, and still doesn't smell cheap.
Can be worn from every age at every time, but best for late autumn and winter or cold countries like Denmark, Sweden, Russia. Interesting, long-lasting, the man, who is wearing it can smell it now and then, for few seconds, but it's something great.
In close rooms smells very good, not overpowering and it almost doesn't change it's scent. Getting better and better.
Can be reapplied, but not earlier than four hours. Smells amazing with my skin-chemistry and suits me good. Jeans and shirt and converse, or formal suit - doesn't matter. Great, great and again great.
I was little bit skeptic about perfume of American designer, but this one is superb. Better than any other Ralph Lauren scents. Get it, you'll not be disappointed.
I forgot to say. It smells very close to L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme.

Pleasure, Happiness and Contentment

Think about it. Spicy Tropical Fruits, Roasted Coffee and Woodsy Notes = Vacation. This is our FAVORITE on him.

Hint: It's an EDT vs. EDP, therefore might apply a.m. and p.m.

scenturian
scenturian

Start is interesting with fruits and spices.
Base reminds me chanel allure. Am i rite or not?
And it is quite similar to its predecessor.

annarborbodhi
annarborbodhi

I just got this cologne today and I must say that I am very impressed.

The top notes of pepper and mango are very evident, but I do not believe them to be overpowering. The contrast between these two makes for a simple yet surprising scent.

After this it fades into a much more mellow, subtle scent consisting primarily of roasted coffee. This lasts for only a few minutes, and is the most subtle (and hardest to smell) part of the cologne.

The base notes are my favorite part. Although the sillage is not powerful by any means, the woody aspects of the base are to die for. They are clearly woody, and slightly sweet, for a soft but sophisticated scent. It reminds me of a log cabin in the woods at night.

I would recommend this cologne for evening or night. It is intelligent, calm, and woodsy. I wouldn't think of this so much as a "going clubbing" cologne, but moreso as a poetry reading or art museum cologne.

EJS
EJS

One of my favorites! Very intricate fruity/spicy/woody combination. Double Black smells classic but with a modern twist. It's very warm and slightly heavy, great for an evening in the fall or winter.

dancam86
dancam86

I like it. It´s very sweet/fruity and spicy at the same time, the coffee note smells delicious and its lasting power it´s unbelievable. I believe the Polo line has done a great job clearing the paradigm that says that all American perfumes smell cheap.

Ralph Lauren = Class.

urobian
urobian

addictive, sexy and versatile.. oriented to wear at evening, the spicy vibe make it heavy for day time, but is a really nice fruity-woody fragance.

great choice, u wont be wrong with this.

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

Love this classic scent with a modern twist: Mango in a man's perfume, "hello"! Just brilliant for a non-in-your-face everyday scent. Smelled it first when I flew to LA, so it will always remind me of my glamorous time in LA. It smells indeed black but it is a wooden floral fruity peppery scent. Very understated, classy, yet young in attitude. This would be Ralph Lauren's smell in a bottle and I agree with the other review that it is equally well worn with a suit and tie or a pair of jeans and jumper/ sweater. Re-apply generously for it has not much of a staying power (at least with my skin)!

acc
acc

a great classic for everyday use. it is very versatile. can be worn with suit and tie or jeans and shirt.

manutdforever
manutdforever

I absolutely love this fragrance! The only gripe I have with it is that the VERY addictive top notes disappear far too quickly. And thereafter the scent disappears within 3 hours, at least on me.

ticalau
ticalau

I tried it a couple of times... but on my skin just don't last 2 mutch... and it's not so intens either :( Polo black it's mutch intens and powerful on my opinion !

knightz
knightz

I don't lose on many blind purchases, but this one is pretty bad. The sillage is even weaker than Polo Blue and the only scent I get from it is a lightly perfumed B O. That's all I can get from this one, under-arm sweat with a sweet-ish cologne note that is indistinguishable because it is too weak. I don't get any fruit, spice, or coffee, just B O. I can't say it reeks because it's not strong enough to project it's stink, I have to get really close to it to smell anything at all. I will throw my bottle out, not give it away, because I wouldn't want anyone around me to smell like Polo Double Black. It's one of the worst I have.

rebella
rebella

My husband have tried this one, and it smells amazing on him. A must-buy.

jeca
jeca

I expected darker and more intensive fragrance.

Aeternitas
Aeternitas

It sure is masculine. Dark, enigmatic, and long-lasting from the first spray. My boyfriend loves it!

promoscanner
promoscanner

Nice and simple. Great masculine scent.

2007

Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren 4.12 out of 5 based on 506 ratings and 109 user reviews

Aftershave 4.2oz
Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren for Men After Shave 4.2 oz
Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren for Men After Shave 4.2 oz
Polo Double Black Cologne by Ralph Lauren, 1.36 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Men
Polo Double Black Cologne by Ralph Lauren - 1.36 oz Eau De Toilette Spray
POLO DOUBLE BLACK for MEN by Ralph Lauren EDT SPRAY 2.5 OZ
POLO DOUBLE BLACK for MEN by Ralph Lauren EDT SPRAY 2.5 OZ
Polo Double Black Cologne by Ralph Lauren - 2.5 oz Eau De Toilette Spray
Polo Double Black Cologne by Ralph Lauren - 2.5 oz Eau De Toilette Spray
Polo Double Black Cologne by Ralph Lauren, 4.2 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Tester for Men
Polo Double Black Cologne by Ralph Lauren - 4.2 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Tester
Polo Double Black Cologne by Ralph Lauren - 4.2 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Tester
Polo Double Black Cologne by Ralph Lauren, 4.2 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Men
Polo Double Black Cologne by Ralph Lauren, 4.2 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Men
Polo Double Black Cologne by Ralph Lauren - 4.2 oz Eau De Toilette Spray
Polo Double Black Cologne by Ralph Lauren - 4.2 oz Eau De Toilette Spray
Ralph Lauren Polo Double Black Eau de Toilette Spray 125ml 4.2oz
Ralph Lauren Polo Double Black Eau de Toilette Spray 125ml 4.2oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Ralph Lauren Polo Double Black fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Ralph Lauren Polo Double Black, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.