Designers » R S » Woody Aromatic « Groups

Polo Explorer Ralph Lauren for men

Polo Explorer Ralph Lauren for men
dislike

Polo Explorer Ralph Lauren for men Pictures Polo Explorer Ralph Lauren for men Pictures Polo Explorer Ralph Lauren for men Pictures

Polo Explorer by Ralph Lauren is a Woody Aromatic fragrance for men. Polo Explorer was launched in 2007. Polo Explorer was created by Honorine Blanc and Harry Fremont. Top notes are mandarin orange and bergamot; middle notes are coriander and leather; base notes are sandalwood, amber and mahogany.

Mandarin Orange Bergamot

Coriander Leather

Sandalwood Amber Mahogany

Polo Explorer Fragrance Reviews

MadMadamMimm
MadMadamMimm

I love this on my husband. So woodsy and masculine and clean.

mikedvd5588
mikedvd5588

jangan gunakan paco rabanne 1 million pada siang hari yah.... hahaha jika tidak mau di anggap gula berjalan XD jika suka ama notes 1 million, grab this one. dgn notes fresh fruity musky amber yg mirip 1 million , sangat works di siang hari. nice job mr. Ralph

Redbeard
Redbeard

I got this by accident, confusing it with Modern Reserve when I placed the order. I didn't really take it seriously at first because I don't normally like fruit fragrances, but I later discovered it to be pretty nice in spite of myself. It's kind of quiet at first, with banana and either mango or passion fruit I'd say, and a bit of the Ralph Lauren / Calvin Klein synthetic sweetness. This of all things should be too sweet and in-your-face for me, which is why I'm normally averse to this type. Yet for some reason I totally buy it, and I'm completely convinced that it's a tropical fruit salad sitting on a wooden table. The sparkle of the more exotic fruits dissipates leaving a metallic banana, almost like a summer version of Acier Aluminium, with other fruits added instead of spices...maybe strawberry? It doesn't evolve a whole lot, but in the base the fruit backs off a little, leaving a light blonde wood underneath, akin to Canali, my next subject. A little fruit remains, but it's thankfully devoid of that synthetic leather/musk monster that dominates the base notes of cheap fruit fragrances like Curve or Lucky You. So for better or for worse, I ended up with a fruity fragrance by mistake, but at least it restored some of my faith in the genre.

Niven
Niven

I bought this back in 2007 when it came out. It's a decent bubblegum woody scent. This is comparable to 1 million, and I prefer this over 1 million. Don't understand the low rating in fragrantica, but it is not a standout scent. Out of the polo scents, I would rank this 4th after polo blue, double black, and original (green).

tlalexander210
tlalexander210

While I only half agree with vinny8888's post, this a spicy wood shop fragrance, however it's still not bad. I think it's a little too green for my taste. Got a 15ml travel spray on a blind buy. Maybe I'll try this again in the spring and fall and see where it sits with me. If it still isn't good, it's going to my little brother. That's all!

6.5/10

TravelAge
TravelAge

Not that bad dear gd15329!! :)

I have got almost all POLO range, BLUE, GREEN, BLACK, EVEN DOUBLE BLACK, EXPLORER etc. All different and all amazing TO me. Give a shot again, think and reconsider once more. Otherwise, choice is yours, what can we say?

LOVE U POLO - MAHOGANYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :)

gd15329
gd15329

I’ve checked some of the POLO line today with high expectations, but unfortunately I was let down...
OVERALL: Not a bad teenage scent 9-15 years of age. Nothing more than that.

perfume Big Pony 2: chocolate? Where? No-no-no just a clean linear un-spiced musky scent

perfume Polo Black: fruity? You are joking right? You’ve must be joking... This was the greenest smell (weak though) I’ve ever smelled (and God I hate greens so much – damn you GIT- sorry I just have to say that out loud) Even the seller told me “fruity? On the contrary sir, you’ve must be mistaken. It’s very masculine though, buy it” (I gave her the Sheldon's look of exhaustion and ever so slight amusement for that)

perfume Polo Double Black: Now this was quite interesting (very weak skin scent) but... no coffee not a hint.

perfume Polo Explorer: Now, If had a gun on my head obliging me to buy one polo it would be this one definitely – the best of what I tried from polo line so far. But... you get the picture...

vinny8888
vinny8888

Smells like a spicy woodshop...period....its too woodsy and bland

hornetz
hornetz

You are the explorer trying to explore the notes while they last for a fleeting few seconds. The opening catches your attention and reels you in to buying this one, it is a nice scent but if you are going to pay your hard earned money there are better alternatives. I liked this one but I wasn't keen on buying another bottle. Personally not worthy of the RL house and not surprised it was discontinued.

srininet1
srininet1

I got this as aftershave from my cousin, and what a wonderful scent!! Very sophisticated, urban and clean fragrance. Recommended for all!

benpaul12

Just wore this to the gym, the increase in sillage made me think it smelt like a less dated Obsession. Anybody else pick this up at times?

Must be the sandalwood and amber - the heat would have produced the bergamot similarity too.

Jun0711
Jun0711

This cologne smells very rare. I got impact.

RemingtonSteele
RemingtonSteele

Very nice frag. Opening does somewhat resemble Burberry London. Good for evening usage. Pick up a bottle before they discontinue it! One of few Ralph's worth owning

bhaskar.dangat
bhaskar.dangat

It stays to your Skin, nice fragrance, doesn't stand up to the name as Explorer, could have been Indoor, or something. You might want to spend your money on something else.

IMsooKool4Real
IMsooKool4Real

For me the opening is all orange, coriander and lime. There is another green & woody element which gives it a smooth waxy & wet quality in the drydown - It smells like a hint of cassia with some cedarwood atlas and a barely noticeable hint of cypress. It gets some pepperiness from the coriander which is noticeable throughout the life of the fragrance. The citrus is pretty powerful in the opening but it quickly turns into a leather, coriander, sharp, wet earthy, green wood fragrance.

Very masculine, projects a foot or two and lasts a few hours before it gets close to the skin for a few more.

A nice fragrance to wear when you are going out for a walk in cool weather - early autumn when the leaves are changing color. A lazy, weekend, outdoors type scent. One of the better RL fragrances for men.

guillermostf
guillermostf

nothing special about it. really.

Ad nauseam
Ad nauseam

Ralph Lauren Polo Explorer is a deep, dark and seductive scent as opposed to a crisp, light outdoor adventurous type scent. For me(my opinion) the problem with Explorer was the branding. From the name to the bottle it promised an outdoor adventure, but what it delivered was a very romantic evening. I think(my opinion only) this is why the scent is now discontinued. Wrong target audience for this bold woody aromatic.

It opens with a bubble gum ultra sweetness that doesn't last long before it shifts to a woody richness that lasts on my skin for a good 6 hours. It seems to get richer and deeper and drier. It has a slight peppery/spicy almost smoky note to it that I really like. Is it the mahogany? I think of the color amethyst and crushed velvet for some reason.

Projection is good, and for me continues to be so even after several wearings. Be careful not to over spray. Two or three sprays are enough.

I recommend Explorer for Fall and Winter evenings. The cooler the better. It's more dressy than casual despite the style of it's bottle. Appropriate for formal occasions as well.

I agree, it probably was the best of Ralph Lauren's fragrances for men. Long after it is gone and impossible to find the multitudes will be yearning for it and declaring how great it WAS.

Alamkyu

So much that I love it, I got myself cologne and after shave. I love it.

kida2010
kida2010

Ugh hate it, this is the kinda scent assistants offer you when you mention "woody" I hate this kind of generic amber/wood synthetic stuff. Has a note in it i hate so bad.

Adore this.

I wear this in autumn and early winter as I lead into stronger colognes. I get plenty of compliments about it too and love the smell myself.

A great, deeper, less citrusy, wonderfully woody fragrance from Polo.

A shame it has been discontinued, better stock up!

RobbieX
RobbieX

A pleasant men's scent. Woody and fruity. I can smell patchouli in this though it's not listed - maybe it's the fruit and sandalwood. Drydown is a bit dry and dusty. Overall, it reminds me of Onyx by Azzaro, though Onyx has more character. Staying power is OK. The bottle is like an Indiana Jones jungle water canteen. Not a bad fragrance, though I would only buy it again if it were in a sale.

Alamkyu

My first fragrance ever. Smell it from my mom's Oprah magazine. So amazing. This is my definition of man fragrance.

Cylore
Cylore

I'm not sure what to make of this one. I got a sample mostly because I heard that this is similar to Chanel Allure Homme and I liked the unique bottle design. For the first 15 seconds after spraying, Explorer is similar to Allure, but after the 15 seconds, the coriander/sandlewood take over and dominate the scent. It smells very piney to me, but in a good woodsy way, not a Pine-Sol way.

After an hour or so, it fades to a dry, flat sort of base scent. It is woodsy and still a little piney. The projection is weak and I only got about 6 hours total out of it - faded to a skin scent after 3-4 hours.

I actually like the marketing package on this one, the name and bottle go together and fit perfectly with the scent. It's just that I'm not in love with the scent itself. It is OK and I could see myself wearing it once in a while, but I can't see myself buying a full bottle.

vicente.zacatenco
vicente.zacatenco

Me gusta mucho esta fragancia. Excelente para usarla de noche, predomina el aroma de madera sobre el cítrico. Además tiene una excelente duración en la piel y en la ropa.

yella_light
yella_light

More of a night out fragrance. It's definitely masculine.
This is amongst the best from the house of Ralph Lauren. It's ideal for a night out, dates, clubs, etc.
Although it can be worn daily or casually, so it's versatile and not offensive.
I wouldn't recommend it for the hot summer days.
It is a good overall fragrance, ideal for Spring, Fall, and maybe Winter.
(3-4 sprays max)

Smell: 4 stars
Overall: 4 stars

renatobhmg
renatobhmg

Não gostei deste perfume. Nem meu irmão. Eu passo e não fica nem 30 minutos no meu braço. Cheiro doce de amêndoa. Um dos perfumes mais sem graça que já vi.
A Ralph Lauren pisou na bola com este perfume, tanto é que tem muita gente dando nota baixa no site, inclusive tem uma nota 4/10 aí.
Melhor mesmo é o polo verde.

dancinleroy
dancinleroy

I got this the other day in the mail with polo modern reserve. I really like this fragrance but it lacks longevity for me unklike the modern reserve. The smell is very casual and on opening smells like oranges and spice. As it starts to dry down, it smells a little off to me though... a little stale but still intriguing. When it is finally at the dry phase, the woods come out to play and sandalwood is definitely a key. It is something to wear in spring-fall when humidity can play a factor in keeping it going. I would give it a 7.5/10 overall and not recomend anyone under 20 to wear it and 20 is pushing it...

Emmanuel421
Emmanuel421

A great male cologne. It's a little strong at the beginning, but then it leaves a pleasant smell that lasts in me for four hours at most. Yes, it definitely smells like a forest, you feel the fragrance of adventure since you smell for the first time.

bp
bp

This scent is wonderful.
Brilliantly portrays the spirit of adventure and discovery.
It will be the best perfume for those who like to wear mountain boots, baggy jeans and shirts to the squares.
For me this scent is great for men with courage, bravery and determination.

BiGToNy9654
BiGToNy9654

I got a sample of this a few years ago, smelt amazing! But when I got the real bottle and started to wear it more it was terrible. Very bad projection, very bad longevity lasted not even 2 hrs. Was just boring. Never getting this again. 3/10

mikehawk
mikehawk

This is great for when i go to high school football games and its nice and chilly but not cold and you can just give off that woody vibe its great for the fall.

Convict13
Convict13

One of my man's current scents, dark and woodsy. It doesnt seem to last very long though which is my only fault with it.

Mushroomfat
Mushroomfat

Explorer's a really great, enjoyable scent. It has a fruity/spiced/gourmand flavor similar to Polo Double Black.
The citric notes adopt the sweeter side of the two fruits with no sour tang.
The pepper and woods give a spicy freshness found only in the jungle.
Explorer is truly an adventurous scent, and the bottle style is more to that point.
A masculine, adventurous, empowering scent. A must have in my opinion.

Ive turned down some of your Armanis, Guccis, Bosses and Burberrys, imo Explorer still came out in the top half with not a bad word to it. When it comes to what is widely thought of as boring, I can easily say there are many much more boring scents out there.
I will freely admit that I have tried it before today and wasn't impressed, but I was already in love with the likes of A*men and JM Pomegranate Noir. Without expecting alot, Explorer was a pleasant surprise, but with high expectations it will come off as a told story.

SilverFire
SilverFire

It's a complex scent that smells to me like leather and wood, although the wood is a sweet/spicy mix, which I guess is the amber coming through. The overall impression it leaves me with is oak-paneled rooms in an elegant home of the well-to-do. It radiates strength and class and makes you feel debonaire.

I agree that the silage isn't that great, but it does last 12+ hours on my skin; it even survives 30-minute workouts. Of the colognes I've tried recently, this is my favorite.

Edit -- It lasts 12+ hours when you first buy it, and after a few weeks, its longevity is down to the disappointing few hours that others have mentioned. :(

zackywacky6
zackywacky6

This smells great, I reckon the best POLO. It lasts 2-3 hours on my skin and smell isnt THAT scuttle as others mentioned.
I reccommend this, great smell@!

jerichodeg
jerichodeg

The bottle is horrendous. Sorry, I'm just not comfortable making a purchase if I'm not in TOTAL agreement with the whole package: box, bottle, ad, and most importantly, the smell.

It's primarily the bottle that turns me off. Had they made this shiny black, with an even shinier cap, it might have had a chance. Shallow, I know.

petrhsr
petrhsr

A piss-poor clone of John Varvatos with a much less interesting drydown. It's a little sad, really.

costaleo
costaleo

I reaaly don't see this as an outdoorsy fragrance, nor a light one. On my skin it's quite powerful and I'd consider wearing it on a mild night, since it can too strong IMO.
My favorite Ralph lauren scent.

guest_NewWave
guest_NewWave

Simple clean woodsy water with sweet amber in a canteen. Not outdoorsy, but fun to have and pretend to be one.

andrevarx
andrevarx

It has an excellent entry and middle notes, fresh and alluring woods. Unfortunately changes very quickly to their base notes that are too boring, just a clean scent. It lasts on my skin is poorer than the rest of the RL line.

rithacha
rithacha

At first a watery waft of non-descript citruses followed INSTANTANEOUSLY with a blast of coriander spices. Kind of like a peppery and heavy aquatic for the first few minutes before it becomes unbearably woody and spicy. The citruses fall away within five minutes and Polo Explorer becomes entirely woody and dry. Way too heavy and abrasive for me. I'm sure the right skin chemistry could pull it off, but please use a light hand for warm days and close spaces.

Unique, but not a hit for me, sorry.

saqib31
saqib31

its very classy and tredy smell
polo is my favourite brand
as i always believe on polo
polo green the best
polo sport
polo explorer
polo red white & blue
polo purple
u must have all these finest collection

JeanMaurice
JeanMaurice

Yuk! Ralph Lauren is maybe the worst perfumer these days! It's not that their perfumes are smelling bad but about NO IMAGINATION and crap quality-synthetic stuff. Guys, pass on this one please, it's BORING and CHEAP.

1.5/5

behzad1280
behzad1280

Explore what?

There is nothing special or interesting in this ordinary and boring scent.
Nothing worth to mention.

هیچ چیز عجیب و جالبی توی این ادکلن نیست که قابل گفتن باشه
تنها یه ادکلنه
همین

mal23
mal23

This fragrance has an exotic spice that breaks through from middle top to base note. It has that darj green sensation to it. The woods are a little more spicy than I expected, which I do not prefer. However, for the price this is a solid outdoorsman type scent. Overall, 7/10 for a nice budget scent.

dm8m
dm8m

Polo explorer, though widely marketed as a scent for the outdoors or the adventurer, it feels otherwise. It feels more suited as a night scent rather than a scent for the adventurer.

There's just something in it that I don't like. Maybe the fragrance is just too strong for me.

aktp-iciook
aktp-iciook

Polo explorer is a woody oriental fragrance standing out of a crowd well, IMHO. The smell is really nice and unique probably thanks to corainder and mahogany.

IMHO, the bottle design is creative. Ralph Lauren tried to interpret what it means by "Explorer" and here comes a military-style flask.

Sillage is below average, very subtle indeed. Longevity is appalling. It evaporates within an hour or less.

All in all. 7/10 for me. Thank you for reading :)

guest_maymo
guest_maymo

my friend bought this for me. i kinda liked it. strong, quite masculine. but never used it anymore. because after a few hours, it smells like urine. ewww.

guest_FortySomething
guest_FortySomething

As a huge fan of the classic green Polo, I'm outraged how this cheap-smelling stuff ever found a way to the market.

The only things it reminds me of is some hideous discount drugstore!

Do pardon the emotion. I truly love Ralph Lauren. This, however, is so insultingly unstylish. No character, no sillage, let alone longevity. Enough said.

LaPD

Actually I take it back for longevity. I was at a bar last night and it was about 2:30am and a girl I was talking to could still smell it. I put it on at around 9:30-10:00pm.

Longevity is pretty decent I guess :P

Sillage is ok. She caught a whiff of it after I passed her by earlier in the night.

She liked it. She liked that it wasn't overpowering and subtle but noticeable :P

LaPD

I smell this and I feel like I'm walking through the woods. Rugged jeans. Boots. Checkered lumber jack shirt. Walking stick. It's the middle of the afternoon. There's no dew here. It's hot and I'm starting to sweat. It's me and nature... that's it, that's all.

The top notes aren't a citrusy and fruity as I thought they would be. Then again why would it be for a frangrance called Explorer? Can I say citrus-spicy?

I smell the coriander. A fresh spicy scent. Reminds me of when I'm choping it up while preparing dinner. I don't smell leather.

The bas notes are woodsy and it combines the spicyness and bergamot from the previous stages.

I love the smell. I love the bottle. It's simple like I am. It smells the way I always thought men's cologne should smell when I was younger. It's subtle but not too subtle. It's the smell I was and am looking for... BUT the sillage and the longevity is no good for me... sigh... if only...

taydev
taydev

surprisingly i like it. im more into smelling the fruity sweet peppery watery smell on a man but for the first time im loving the all masculine woodsy outdoor smell. polo explorer will keep me under my mans neck all damn day!!

svillatoro
svillatoro

This fragrance is great, the woodsy and citrus notes are so good. Longevity is not the best at the beginning but if you use it frequently it tends to stay more on your skin.
I don't agree about the bottle because sometimes you find great bottles and disgusting fragrances...

periquito89
periquito89

I think the words I just read here, like "outdoorsy", "aromatic 'deep green' vibe", with a "fruity touch" describes well this fragrance. Somebody would say it smells "leafs", or "leafage", and than you put that fruity touch, with something more (light notes of leather, amber?).

I don't see it as an old type of scent, or for an old man; it is younger than that.

And I don't care about the insipid botte ":-D.

A little updade: I would not recommend this for those who don't like green scents. And for those who like, be careful: this is a bit different, and I can identify a smell of leafage very well ":-).

Master Scents
Master Scents

Woodsy is the first thing that comes to mind... Very "outdoorsy"... I like it. I could care less that the bottle is ugly, because people will SMELL it, not see what the bottle looks like. It's a great "sunday outdoor activity" cologne, if that makes any sense.

guest_explorer
guest_explorer

my brother has it... it smells so good as he sprayed it on him... i spray it on myself sometimes... but can barely smell it after about an hour...

Perfumaniac
Perfumaniac

POLO EXPLORER speaks to men at their very core. It is a world of Freedom, Exploration and Discovery for a man who wants to break free from his daily life. The fragrance is born of pure adventure: ingredients from all around the world such as Argentian mate, Australian sandalwood and Russian coriander.
A fresh woody amber scent.
The fragrance starts with top notes of mandarin oil and bergamont; a heart of waterfall accord, coriander spice and rugged leather with a base of mahogany wood, sandalwood, mate and amber.

elaida_00
elaida_00

i just bought it for my boyfriend; it`s masculine and very nice i think is for any age men; very good

urobian
urobian

i dont think is for an old man like many said..

to me is a versatile fruity touch with an exotic spicy base, sexy with an unique aromatic "deep green" vibe, the combo in notes are unique. longevity more than ok.. =) longevity and sillage without problems, great projection.

ticalau
ticalau

Realy like this fragrance! But i realy hate the bottle!!!! I mean... just horribly! The green army, the tire stopper... euuu! The bottle looks like a drink bottle from army :))) So i won't buy it... because 2 me the bottle represent something very important in buying a fragrance!

Polo Explorer by Ralph Lauren 3.75 out of 5 based on 271 ratings and 60 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Ralph Lauren Polo Explorer fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Ralph Lauren Polo Explorer, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Polo Explorer by Ralph Lauren. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Polo Explorer by Ralph Lauren represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.