Designers » R S » Woody « Groups

Polo Modern Reserve Ralph Lauren for men
dislike

leather
Polo Modern Reserve Ralph Lauren for men Pictures

In honour of the 30th anniversary of the house of Ralph Lauren, a new perfume for men, Polo Modern Reserve, was presented with hope that steady customers as well as new generations will become interested and attracted by quality fragrances of this house.

The new fragrance was created in cooperation with Carlos Benaim of IFF to celebrate timelessness, heritage and tradition. The choice of this perfumer did not happen by case, since Benaim has already worked with Ralph Lauren on their previous edition. The goal of the new creation is a blend of old, quality compositions of Polo fragrances with modern trends.

The perfume belongs to woody-leather olfactive group and it opens with aromas of cardamom, freshly cut basil and pimento. The heart encompasses vetiver, jasmine and myrrh, while the base introduces woody accords, suede and patchouli.

The perfume is available as 120 and 240ml EDT. Larger package, 240ml EDT, is a limited edition and it arrives in a luxury leather package with 24 carat gold details. Polo Modern Reserve was launched in 2008.

Basil Pimento Cardamom

Jasmine Vetiver Myrrh

Patchouli Woodsy Notes Suede

Polo Crest
Chevignon Brand Cologne

Polo Modern Reserve Fragrance Reviews

mikedvd5588
mikedvd5588

setelah kecewa dengan longevity dari beberapa parfum keluaran RL, akhirnya bisa sedikit terobati dengan hadirnya polo modern reserve dalam koleksi saya. dgn wangi kayu2an, dedaunan, serta wangi hutan tropis dengan kekayaan rempah yg di mix menjadi 1, membuat polo MR ini benar2 maskulin, dewasa, serta sangat elegant. Longevity yg mencapai 10 jam+ di kulit saya, sudah cukup membuktikan kepada saya betapa Ralph Lauren punya barang gaib yg patut di koleksi. nice.. !

Marciu
Marciu

Unfortunately Ralph Lauren is phasing out Polo Modern Reserve. Why? I sniffed it once or twice so I don't remember a scent itself, but I think I'd like to always have two bottles from Lauren's brand on my shelf standing side by side : Polo and Polo Modern Reserve. I like the combination of notes in this one. Though I absolutely love the current formulation of Polo, I think RL makes a big mistake discontinuing MR. I'd be the one buying it bottle after bottle. I'm not going to buy backup bottles as this fragrance is already (and actually always have been) hardly available in my country.

Redbeard
Redbeard

I don't have my Polo Crest anymore or I'd so a side-by-side. It had been such a long time since I'd sampled PMR, that I was expecting more greenery and less leather, so I'm questioning my previous treatment of it as a summer scent; now I'd say it's a good intermediate for all seasons. It starts out as a very light, well-behaved spearmint with an Antaeus-like leather underneath, and surprisingly a bit of fruit, which to me is a lot like the banana in Acier Aluminium. This stuff, even moreso than Crest, turns the old drill sargeant's piney leather belcher of Polo into a usable fragrance; Crest did it largely with summery wintergreen, which I can only take so much of, but PMR does it with an interesing mix of summery and wintery notes. The sweet florals in the mid-notes remind me of Van Cleef and Arpels or Hammam Bouquet, which I don't like, but the leather reminds me of Parfum d'Habit, which I find very true-to-life. Plus there's some wood and pine needles, but it's from a lush, magnificent old growth forest, not the sort of "hey guys, we have a few pine trees too in New Mexico," like the bone-dry, scrubby forests of Yatagan. I also think it nails this genre better than Eucris because it includes more sweet spices and less astringent herbs.

mossyoakpenn
mossyoakpenn

Absolutely LOVE the opening! Its hard to describe it because I get so lost in it. If the whole fragrance was like it I would buy this by the gallon! But it doesn't and I wont. After that it dries down to a very dry floral with a bit of pimento(peppery smell) mixed in. Almost smells of oakmoss to me but im pretty sure it isn't. I had high hopes for this but im glad I sampled it first. I actually enjoy the original better.

lateeeno
lateeeno

the problem with this one is that it doesn't stay long enough on my skin . other than that , I love it . Green and daring . better smelling when drying down .

lyktor
lyktor

Way more wearable than the original Polo but still classic, to people who find the original too strong and old fashioned

ezequiel91
ezequiel91

Lamentablemente compré PMR, en vez del original, pensando encontrar algo mejor y más evolucionado en su formulación, pero en mi opinión el Green original es por mucho margen, superior en aroma, proyección y originalidad. Me gusta y es claramente un Polo, pero es Eau de Polo y no tiene la arrolladora presencia de su antecesor. Le pondría 7/10. Al original, 10/10.!

Castor
Castor

A green version of Polo Crest: I cannot recall if these green accords are due to the presence of pine, mint or what - the relation with the discontinued Polo Crest is remarkable. So if you miss the later, you might as well get Modern Reserve.

chrisaxp
chrisaxp

I have a strange relationship with P.M.R. Some days I love it, on those days it has a great but strong top note and then warms down into this sexy mix of floral and spicy. Other days I hate it. On those days it smells chemical and dry and horrible. Very strange, but I do own it and wear it sometimes. I wear it more in the fall than other times.

GoodVibrations
GoodVibrations

This is the best of the dry tobacco leaf chypres. It has a hint of leather musk tucked under its masculine floral heart. The floral just makes it smell pricey (and not feminine). It smells more expensive than it is.

dancinleroy
dancinleroy

I received this in the mail the other day as a blind buy but knew what I was getting. I had smelled the original polo a few years ago on an older gentalman and liked it alot. It reminded me of a simply classic smell that I had smelled for years but not knowing what it was. I read reviews on the modern reserve which is a reformulated modern adaptation of the original I had been smelling on people my whole child hood. I really like the modern reserve in that I can wear it and feel like I'm not trying to be older than I actually am. I am 26 and it's perfect as a casual fragrance. This is not a panty dropper as some might call other fragrances but it is sophisticated and something that a confident man of any age would wear. I can only assume that females may think the way that I do when I smell it as something they attribute comfort with since it is something they smelled through childhood as well. It stays true to the original with some tweeks for the better. It is not as alcohol-like smelling which means that the ingredients are more up to date and smells very soapy and fresh on opening, but still dark and strong. The dry down smells like leather/suede and basil with woods. It reminds me of a horse stable, also a very comforting smell. I would definitely buy this again when my 4 oz bottle runs out. Figuring you only need about 2 sprays, that will be a long time from now.

Longevity - 9/10
silage - 8/10
scent - 8/10

dutchschwag
dutchschwag

Polo Modern Reserve is a reformulated, modern adaptation of the vintage 1978 bottle. It is packaged the same as its predecessor but is marketed towards a younger audience groomed on modern softer scents that lack the stronger, louder, rawer elements that made the original Polo so attractive.
The alpine woods essence of the original is gone, so is the dirty tobacco and leather that gave it heart and muscle. The pine needles are also absent, replaced by more spice, mostly of the standard garden variety; especially basil and pimento on the top.
To those quite familiar with the original, Modern Reserve seems to have lost much of its essence, transformed into a rather woody and spicy concoction that is passable enough but lacks the darker and more foreboding range of the original.
The dry down is somewhat lacking in balance and the vetiver, patchouli and jasmine don't seem to mesh organically, crashing into each other and creating a sour discord underneath that cheapens the overall concept around the 30 minute mark and persists well into the dry down.
This may be a revelation to those unfamiliar with anything before the 21st century, especially for those unfamiliar with the original Polo or who find many of the 70's masculine fragrances too herbal and low in range. Given Modern Reserve's excellent longevity (8-12 hours) and projection (6-8 hours), this is certainly recommendable to the thirty and under crowd. But for anyone more experienced or familiar with the original, this is a lighter, toned down and less organic rehash that lacks the outstanding blending and cohesive execution of the original.

jackieee
jackieee

very strong and masculine smells very earthy and green kind if smells like soap but yet fasinating the dry down is beautifull and floral im a girl my father has this scent this is from a womans point of view , or point of sniff lol .

Lasts 24 hours plus...

Avecesar
Avecesar

I like Polo but I love Polo Modern Reserve !This is a real gentleman fragrance,very manly , very classy and elegant.There is one note in the opening- I am not able to identify what it is - which is absolutely fantastic but that , unfortunatly, goes away very quickly. Anyway, as somebody else already mentionned, the drydown is marvellous and lasts for hours.I get many compliments when wearing Polo Modern Reserve. The bad thing is that it is quite difficult to find this fragrance in France.

Roqfort
Roqfort

Much, much better, than original Polo. The drydown is like heaven. Modern, seductive and so classy.
This scent is going to the top of my top five.
5/5 without doubt. Simply awesome...

shreif
shreif

the smell is good
the good point is i never feel boring from this fragrance
the bad point longevity and sillage is not what i am looking for this disappointing me
6.5/10

update :
this is much better in colder days really amazing
I start falling in love with it
I raise my evaluation to 8/10

twlahue

back in the 80's i had an aftershave of polo in a plastic bottle. i was young and could not afford the actual polo cologne everyone was wearing.
PMR smells very similar to what i remember the aftershave for the vintage polo smelling like.
very good.

This is a more blended fragrance than the original Polo, though you can still detect some of the notes, or impressions of them, and it's definitely not a "blob" type effect you often get in the really cheap fragrances. I get a lot of basil and the jasmine is obvious. Mostly, the rest is quite blended. At first, it struck me as "synthetic," but after half an hour or so that dissipates (or I get used to it). Longevity is excellent and projection ("sillage") is at least good (with just one spray). At this point, I think I like the original as well as similar fragrances, such as vintage Quorum, a bit more, and I think it's because they smell more natural to me and have more note separation. PMR has a more domesticated quality, which has its purposes, but it's less of an aficionado fragrance.

editionblanche
editionblanche

My signature fragrance...
A posh and manly scent! It's smoother than polo, like an eau de polo...
It basically smells like recent cut grass with jasmine, leather and patchouli.
It's not sweet at all, as some have stated, it just lacks the old-fashioned piney smell of polo. Woody, herby, leathery... smells like a horses farm!
Women fall for its masculinity...
Definitely a masterpiece!
Longevity and sillage are weaker than polo's, but still decent
Congratulations to Ralph Lauren...

Higgibs
Higgibs

Elegant and refined it's a highly complimentary if not softer (slightly) version than the original. On me it has poor staying power. If only I could coax another few hours out of it I could easily see it giving strong run for signature scent status. Still a money/power scent after all these years.... 7.5/10

twillocks
twillocks

OMG!! SEX IN A BOTTLE. I LOVE THIS ON MY HUSBAND!

Cheeva
Cheeva

just bought a bottle two days ago. this is a very green woodsy fragrance but without the tobacco ,leather , pepper of the original. after the first 30 minuets, the floral notes really start kicking you in the face! silage is very good ,well past 5 hours . according to polo.com., they might be phasing out modern reserve, just like polo explorer.

andrevarx
andrevarx

This has a slight odor and manly, but loses identity of the original intent of Polo by Ralph Lauren. The opening notes have a fresh scent inspiration, but in the dry middle notes are out of control so much that lost elegance, probably the vetiver.

It stays on my skin 9 hours, for use in temperate or cold. Still can be used for an age range from the mid-20 upwards.

costaleo
costaleo

What a great surprise. Not being a fan of RL and its fragrances (maybe Explorer is the only one I actually like) I have to admit that this is a hell of a good fragrance. Completely new even being announced as an "update" of he old Grren Polo. I really like the flowery touch -- it gives the scent a very modern and still manish touch and makes it very pleasant to wear on hot summer days (in my city most days are really hot!). A must!

LadiesRed
LadiesRed

I love the smell! It is an excellent perfume that suits men wearing suits.

The scent is dark, chypre, spicy and woody.

This perfume gives one the feeling of absolute confidence and power.

JeanMaurice
JeanMaurice

Good at first wear. Very bad at other 2-3. I prefer original one. Ralph Lauren are making bad scent these years.

truth657
truth657

This cologne is the best!!! great longevity!!! sillage is great!!! make u feel relaxed and nice!!!!!

taydev
taydev

this scent is all man! i love it, it is similar but smoother than the origional with a few different ingredients. very mature 25+ i think.

Brahmsfourth
Brahmsfourth

They have reinterpreted Polo, a good fragrance, if a bit cloying, into a stunningly gorgeous bouquet of fresh, green and spicy accords that blend to a rich resonance. It resembles Polo Crest, a discontinued beauty, but it is more complex, alluring and densely textured. This is a luxurious, masculine and sophisticated perfume. I would wear this anywhere, anytime. Kudos to Ralph Lauren. Very Impressive!

rasato
rasato

This is a fantastic fragrance, lighter in the top notes that the original Polo (no shocking blast of tobacco and feces straight out of the bottle!), but with a very similar drydown. This very manly fragrance has pronounced woody and leathery basenotes balanced with a refreshing greenness. Far superior to anything Ralph Lauren has released since the original Polo. I am very impressed.

svillatoro
svillatoro

I have tried Polo modern reserve. It is a little bit more spicy than the original, especially for the cardamom and basil notes. It smells very good and elegant but I still prefer the classic one.

guest_kelsy
guest_kelsy

Just recieved this one into stock, still a very green fragrance but not as leathery or pine-y as the original green.
Would appeal to a classic man who liked Armani Attitude or Dolce and Gabbana pour homme, but wanted something more sophisticated.

ac_scent86
ac_scent86

Has anyone tried this out yet? I'll always love Blue(despite how annoyingly feeble and short ranged it is, but thats a whole new subject)and have heard mixed things about the Modern Reserve. I am hoping MR makes up for the short comings of Blue, Black, Double Black, Explorer, etc...

Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren 4.24 out of 5 based on 131 ratings and 34 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Ralph Lauren Polo Modern Reserve fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Ralph Lauren Polo Modern Reserve, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.