Designers » R S » Oriental Woody « Groups

Purple Label Ralph Lauren for men

Purple Label Ralph Lauren for men
dislike

herbal

Purple Label Cologne follows the Ralph Lauren Purple Label clothes line. It is for middle-aged and elegant gentleman, who knows to appreciate, wear and use elegant and luxurious things. Purple Label is fresh oriental woody fragrance (the scent of an expensive suit?), based on a contrast notes of fresh fruit, tobacco flower, aromatic herbs and leather. It opens with green coriander, blackberry and lemon, goes through the heart of tobacco blossom, sage, hedion and thyme, and ends with oak moss, suede, mahogany and musk. Perfume was developed by Firmenich in 2003.

Mandarin Orange Green Coriander Blackberry

Tobacco Blossom Sage Thyme

Musk Oakmoss Mahogany

Bleecker Street

Purple Label Fragrance Reviews

AndrewMoc
AndrewMoc

Aventus?... Probably not. Does it share the same genre? Potentially. But you're really comparing two completely different smelling fragrances. One smells fantastic, the other is just okay. This flows in the same vein as maybe Mont Blanc legend or Fierce. Still very good nonetheless, and certainly carrying the potential to be a classic. If the price were closer to $65-70, I would consider a purchase.

The smell is fruity, sweet, musky, maybe a little sour (orange rind) but mostly clean. Maybe even a firm foundation of Tide laundry detergent. Its a little potent upfront, and you'll definitely be seen as the cologne guy, but the drydown is much better so just stick it out. All that said, this is definitely a pass for me

interesnii
interesnii

I love this scent. Makes me very confident and uplifting - I feel like I own the world!!!Very nice manly scent for a rich guy. But the bad thing is it does not stay on me for a long time (2 hours and it is gone). It is for special occassion and is similar to Aventus and Bleeker Street. It is still soled in Ralph Lauren store on Madison ave in NY.

michael.j
michael.j

Date: 6 September 2013
This fragrance is not out of production. I just bought a bottle at the Ralph Lauren store in Philadelphia. I have a bottle of Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9, and Purple Label is, to my nose, a 90-95% match with Bleecker Street. I have to say, however, that actually prefer the Purple Label. I like the blackberry opening and the peppery dry-down. This is easily a niche-level scent; the quality, complexity and sophistication are all there. Remarkable. Gorgeous.

Schmee1989
Schmee1989

To me this is a very luxorious fragrance that screams class. I think the labeling, and the scent work great together. Those who feel this is similar to creed aventus are right in my opinion, but if you wear both at the same time you'll be able to tell a difference. They definitely resemble eachother, and as much I like aventus this one certainly stands up to it in my book.

ronnyb
ronnyb

This is a fantastic scent from the opening to drydown. Contrary to the information provided by some sellers on e-bay, it is not discontinued and is available on the RL website.

aqua_de_la_vita
aqua_de_la_vita

RL Purple label is certainly a MUST HAVE cologne if you can find it?
I was very lucky to find this cologne and yes it will cost you, but it's worth it and I can understand why! I find the top notes to be tobacco blossom, musk and a woodsy scent (Mahogany). Without a doubt, the note of leather I believe helps to give this cologne a sophisticated and masculine aroma.
The mid tones of Sage and Oakmoss certainly help to give this cologne a earthy scent. The only thing I'm not sure about is the note of Thyme, and how it effects the others notes.
I have to consider myself VERY LUCKY to find this cologne because I wasn't looking for it when I was shopping for a unique fragrance. The owner said it well when he showed the cologne. He asked me if I was interested in buying it? I asked him what is so special about it, as he put it "your buying liquid gold my friend" and that caught my attention. I was so glad I bought, and I never knew RL made this cologne to start with.
Overall, this cologne is a classy fragrance without a doubt. I can't help repeating the two notes of leather and tobacco blossom, the aroma is a stunner which coming through when you first spray it.
Longevity is excellent...well past 9 hour's
Sillage is very good with a 2-3 feet distance you can pick up the aroma.
I hope RL will consider doing a re-launch, excellent for both day/evening wear and best during the fall/winter time.
Two words sum up this cologne...Liquid gold, it's absolutely worth every ounce. 10/10

mattdmv
mattdmv

This is one of my favorite fragrances, smells similar to creed Aventus, but RL Purple Label smells blended better than Creed Aventus to me. I find Creed to be inconsistent with their batches and over priced. You can only find this at flagship stores but well worth the price, Class in a bottle.

Taskphorce
Taskphorce

As odd as this sounds, I believe that Ralph Lauren Purple Label smells nearly identical to Creed Aventus. However, Creed Aventus is much more complex and aromatic. Aventus contains more than just the spice and woods that Purple is confined to. I bought a big bottle, used it maybe three times and gave it away. I felt that I could only wear this if I was wearing a shirt and a tie attending a formal event. I felt that the pronounced spice/peppery mixture was a bit too much for me even though I am capable of adapting well with a variety of fragrances. Two thumbs down unfortunately.

nszlufik
nszlufik

Really like this scent. Classsy and unique. Mature, not old. Very Herbal opening. Doesnt have that quality that makes you take a deep breathe of it but a sniff of this will definitley intrigue you. Marketing to a middle aged man is a bit misleading. FIND THIS only at the counters at SAKS FIFTH AVENUE. Its the only place I know they sell this stuff!

Hoyo
Hoyo

This is a great classic oriental for men. It has good sillage and longevity for an edt. On me it oozes class and its too bad it's not still in production.

tlalexander210
tlalexander210

This stuff is great. The bad thing is, that it's really hard to find in a full size bottle. I got 8 spray samples for around $5 US. This is definitely a unique scent. It WILL get you noticed. I got plenty of complements the first night I wore this. Why is this so hard to find?

jaylim87
jaylim87

I wanna try this one, but it is hard to find.. Does it really smell like Bond No.9 bleeker st.?

andy
andy

this is one of the better RL fragrances due to this exotic complexity and better ingredients and it is a very high quality fragrance with a nice drydown compared to many cologne fragrances on the market

rmf1112
rmf1112

I have to admit, I don't understand all the hatred over this frag. It IS a very fresh and very clean scent, perhaps a bit soapy, but sophisticated nonetheless. It can be a bit pricey, but most big design house frags aren't cheap (and if they are, its for a reason). All this talk about synthetic air freshener are just a bunch of blowhards who want to be heard. Why else would you post multiple negative reviews, one after the other, yet without any real thought or substance in them?

Ahh well, back to the frag... I recently acquired some samples of this Purple label and was very pleased with the scent construction- it definitely smells purple, but slight and not cloying in its sweetness. I detect the green coriander, a light floral scent and slight orange in the top. This top combination seems to be what gives it the clean feel. After a few moments, this gives way to the middle notes of a bit of tabacco surrounded by herbal aromatics of thyme and a little sage as well. These top and middle notes are what define this scent for me, as the only base notes i seem to detect is a slight peppery-ness about 45min later. However, There are some notes i detect- lemon, violet flower or lavender perhaps, and later, pepper- that aren't in the pyramid, just as there are notes in the pyramid that i wish were noticable- blueberry and musk. I'm sure this could just be how my skin reacts to the scent as I've seen reviews that those less noticable notes were detected more by others.

Overall though, I'd say this is a nice, fresh, slightly crisp and very clean scent but the downside definitely comes with the sillage and longevity. It stays close to the skin, and is unoffensive- being the distinguished gent this frag is- so its good nobody is going to smell this across the room, but rather they must come close to appreciate it. So, the only Real downside to this (IMO) is the longevity- after 10-15 min i can barely smell it even with my nose pressed against the skin. And it also seems to have a gap in the notes, from the time the middle ends (15 min maybe), there is not a noticable smell for a good ten minutes or so then you get a fleeting peppery smell perhaps with a whisper of musk. However I must add that it is winter and very dry, so i will be updating in the warmer months, and I have my fingers crossed that it will last longer then.

Alas,
I can see this being a very nice everyday cologne (I hear it's discontinued though) for work or play, unoffensive for the office, but nice and slightly unique for intimate club setting. I will most likely buy a bottle while I can, because this is semi-addictive and very fresh smelling.

*Also, I agree that the right woman could pull this off nicely

Scentrist
Scentrist

I’d first encountered RL Purple in 2004 when I’d also discovered Lauren’s Purple Label line of men’s clothing. I still have some of my shirts and ties from that period, all of them of very superior Italian make and quality. The fragrance matched the style very well. The contrasts of leather, fruits, herbs and tobacco flower were delightful and interesting to smell, even if it was something that tended to lack as much sillage as I’d prefer.

It opens with green coriander, blackberry and lemon. The heart notes include tobacco blossom, sage, hedion and thyme. Base notes end with oak moss, suede, mahogany and musk. This wasn’t a bad combination, and the combination of tobacco blossom, blackberry and suede were the very definition of those notes I so enjoyed. It worked just as well for casual wear as it did for a formal affair, and was just as comfortable in the office as the weekend.

Longevity and silage, however, are issues with the fragrance. The dry-down was fleeting and the base would begin to fade by the 6 hour mark. Not unrealistic for an eau de toilette, though I simply wished that the sillage wouldn’t simply vanish within 2 hours and the entire fragrance by 6. It’s single 125ml size isn't something you could carry in your back pocket easily for a refresh, and there is no travel size unless you emptied a portion into a small atomizer. Nearly everything else, however…flawlessly executed.

This is a scent I would highly recommend, and I honestly would contend that the right woman could just as easily pull this off as well. It's one of trusty stalwart fragrances, despite its scarce distribution -- I only wish Ralph Lauren would do more with this.

thatsmr2usir
thatsmr2usir

This is living proof that I detest Ralph Lauren fragrances... This is so awful & synthetic! & shame on the price tag! Its nothing but a glorified air freshner. There is not a single frag from this house that I like! Ralph Lauren gets the award of having a totally uninspired house IMO!

Dad jax
Dad jax

Why is it so expensive? not worth at all

jazz444
jazz444

An amped up version of Glade at 100 times the price. So cloyingly green, and then an hour in, decides to drown itself and turn into a watery, screechy green. Who can stand it--or better yet, who cares--at this point?

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!

This is very good.....Maybe somemore notes could be added, a little coconut, vanilla, yuzu, bergamot, cucumber, melon family(watermelon, honeydew, cantelope), green apple, pineapple, guava...ya know....

Good but it would probably smell better mixed with some Seasonal Fabreeze, spray on fabrics, in your car, on clothes, and maybe iron the scent into them, that'd be a good idea, since it's soooo light and fresh

drummerboy1986

just got some more of this, and I love it....Beautiful!!!!

Light, floral, but still manly..something you can wear with a suit, jeans/shorts and t-shirt/polo/button-up/cuff-link...Air forces/dunks, jordans, diesels, dress shoes...whatever..this is versatile...beautifully done.

drummerboy1986

limited number of stores have had this...dang now i got to order this online, from the actual website, not any fragrance website...rl.

CaraMia
CaraMia

This is beautiful, elegant and refined. I hate to see it classified as a scent for "middle aged gentlemen" because Purple Label is less about age and more about subtlety and understated chic.

The herbal character of PL does not screech at you and the tobacco note will not remind you of an old man's humidor. Purple Label is quite beautiful and could easily be worn by a woman who was looking for genteel wood notes.

I wish more men would wear scents like this one!

joybee88
joybee88

If I'm ever to try wear men's perfume it should be this one. Very nice composition and I love purple as the theme. And of course the idea of smelling like a middle aged rich man...lol

Purple Label by Ralph Lauren 4.13 out of 5 based on 87 ratings and 23 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Ralph Lauren Purple Label fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Ralph Lauren Purple Label, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Purple Label by Ralph Lauren. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Purple Label by Ralph Lauren represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.