Designers » R S » Floral Green « Groups

Safari Ralph Lauren for women
dislike

I have it: 630 I had it: 454 I want it: 242 My signature: 11

Safari Ralph Lauren for women Videos
Safari Ralph Lauren for women Pictures Safari Ralph Lauren for women Pictures Safari Ralph Lauren for women Pictures Safari Ralph Lauren for women Pictures Safari Ralph Lauren for women Pictures Safari Ralph Lauren for women Pictures

The scent of Safari, just like many other Ralph Lauren fragrances is inspired with American life style. Safari symbolizes another American myth, the call of the wild planes, the spirit of freedom and adventure, the joy of discovery. For all that Safari has enjoyed a great success in the States, just like the Polo and the game of Polo as those are topics that are dear. Safari for women is a floral aroma with light breeze scented by grasses, freedom and romance of open vast space. The top notes are galbanum, mandarin and hyacinth. Aldehydes cheer up the composition. The heart brings a gorgeous bouquet of rose, lily of the valley, narcissus and iris. The base is composed of vetiver, moss, Tonka bean and styrax. Safari was created in 1990 by Dominique Ropion.

Orange Black Currant Tagetes Mandarin Orange Narcissus Galbanum Hiacynth Cassis

Bal d'Afrique

Safari Fragrance Reviews

samsara1977
samsara1977

Another fantastic 90's scent which stayed in my memories for years. Untill I finally found a bottle in the States and purchased it.

Thinking I was buying the 90's scent. Which was not...
Just like Lauren this Safari had been turned into a cheap replacement of the Original divine scent.

I think the brands that are not really perfume brands (read: Hermes, Guerlain,... ) only want to profit lost success and seduce people who suffer from some nostalgic memories (which we all do at a certain age).

I will make a post saying: Which 80 - 90's perfume smells exactly the same as in those days.
More of us would like to know and I don't feel like buying or huntin on ebay each bottle hoping for a miracle.

pixiecup
pixiecup

Aah safari. I got this back in 1994. It was heaven to my young, adventurous nose. That was the original formulation, rich and earthy with smooth creamy notes. I just got another bottle of what is absolutely not the original :-( Yes, the heart is still there but it's been weakened. It no longer lasts for hours, delivering me through it's many phases. The initial blast is headache inducing aldehyde - another reviewer described it spot-on. I'll leave her open to breathe for a few weeks and see how she develops. I'm hoping I can resurrect the Magnificent Safari from those great old days. She was a masterpiece!

lindafoley58
lindafoley58

Just got a mini of this fragrance & love it. What a treat. I'm in love with this fragrance. I love buying minis because it gives you a chance to try different perfumes without making a costly mistake, but after trying it I will tell you I will be buying a big bottle soon. This is such a delicate fragrance. I could just bathe in it. It's not too much of one ingredient, but a well blend of everything.

velvetrose23
velvetrose23

Safari is my all time favorite perfume! Every time I wear this fragrance my three teenagers act like they are gagging and dying from the initial blast of this perfume. My daughter always says,"oh great mom is wearing her old vintage perfume"....which always makes me laugh because I was a teenager when this fragrance was launched,and this was the kind of perfume teenagers wanted to wear,lol!! Ah...how subjective fragrance can be to time!! Anyway, on initial first spray the galbanum is very dominate on my skin and gives off a strong musty smell. This is the note that causes my teenagers to act like they are dying,lol! (which does not bother me) This is the way Safari has always opened up on my skin. After ten minutes of this,the galbanum settles down into the background and lingers. The hyacinth, mandarin, and narcissus come forward and produce the most lovely intoxicating green floral. With the galbanum hovering in the background. Then after an hour of this the vetiver,amber,and sandalwood come into the mix. Safari then becomes that classic smell I will always continue to fall in love with. The longevity and silage has always been moderate on me. Maybe four to six hours? Depending on the weather. My skin seems to eat fragrance no matter how strong too. I have only mentioned the notes that I can smell in this composition. But I'm sure the notes that I can not detect are there at work too, making this one knock out perfume!!

Angela Agiannidou
Angela Agiannidou

What can I add to all these amazing reviews, this perfume is a rare case of both crowd pleaser AND one of the most sophisticated niche like perfumes, a heaven of galbanum and jasmine, sharp yet powdery,exotic and green, I get endless positive comments whenever I Wear it.

aber19
aber19

This is one of the best perfumes ever made, considering I collect over 120 perfumes (discontinued and vintage) in my collection. If you really want a reasonable parfum this is it. It was lovely. It captures green grass, light florals, nature, fields and class easily. As a great winter perfume it has positive energy to it. The projection on this is absolutely wonderful. I dabbed a small amount on the wrist which lingered strongly on the skin. I had about a 6 inches projection for about 2 hrs, then 4 inches about the next 2 hrs, then 2 inches for the next 2 hrs. If placed on clothes even the EDP stays for days. I would definitely try to get a vintage bottle of any size, because newer versions may be weakened. I hope one never discontinues this classic. I have 2 x 75mls EDP and 10mls of pure parfum which incorporates a refillable purse spray. While when buys a parfum, sometimes the quality is lacking for example the first Anna Sui parfum because it is designed as a weaker fragrance. This parfum has excellent quality and worth a try for any serious perfume collector. The bonus is that it is quite reasonable for a 4 ml amount of pure and excellent perfume. The design of the bottle is first class and regal which gives it a distinction of greatness. I placed the parfum on the skin 24 hrs ago and it still smells lovely and quite surprisingly strong.

tubereuse
tubereuse

Forgot all about Safari! This was on the rotation in high school/college days! A gentle, warm, spicy floral. Good balance and not too strong, not too light. Will have to dig this one out for another dance again.

Vanessa Dunlap
Vanessa Dunlap

Seeing the picture of the Safari bottle reminded me of an incident from around 1992, that I hadn't thought about for a looooong time. First, the Safari of the early 1990s was something that I admired and loved smelling its trail on others, but could never pluck enough courage to purchase one and wear it myself. Second, this story really happened: it was 1992, I was working in a radio station in Wisconsin, and one of the radio sales executives wore this as her signature. She was one of those femme fatale types of young women, a saturated pollen-loaded blossom with fangs, lip gloss, high heels, and a breathless voice, who could cry as easily as laugh if you suggested it. I used to bring extra apples and pears to work, as she was always hungry (she said she was a vegetarian; I hate to see people go hungry)...did I mention that Safari was her signature fragrance? Well, one afternoon while everyone was out on sales calls, I stepped out of my office and noticed a little white pad on the floor. It looked just like a shoulder pad from a woman's blazer, and I assumed that it had fallen out of someone's business suit jacket. Even holding it in my hand, I could smell the Safari coming from this little pad. I pressed it to my nose, and inhaled deeply and exclaimed to my boss (who was watching, bemusedly) how lovely it smelled! I recognized the scent as Safari. We decided that it must have fallen out of the femme fatale's suit jacket, so I brought it to my office and pressed it to my face a few times, inhaling deeply and thinking how delicious it smelled. When she came back from her sales calls, I asked her if she was missing a shoulder pad from her jacket, as the pad that I'd rescued smelled of Safari, and we all knew that she wore Safari exclusively. She looked confused, then all of a sudden she reached her hand down into her shirt, patted her breasts, and started laughing, "oh, one of my bra pads fell out! I wondered why I felt lop-sided! It fell out of my shirt and you found it, thank you!" And so there was my boss collapsing into a fit of laughter and me sort of thinking, "em..." so ultimately, this is why I never purchased Safari. And here's your story for the evening!

jake.shouse
jake.shouse

nice smell but does not smell strong at all. I rate thia 7 out of 10.

diego.lesgart

Gorgeous fragance . . . for me is sweet, aromathics and I can smell honey, banana, and black peper in its . (black peper told me the parfumerie s assistant) Power, full of life, american? or really Safari . . .

Another bad idea becoming discontinued it as LAUREN ...

I had Suspense by Lancetti and is too similar

boruvka44
boruvka44

The opening of Safari smells 90% like Van Cleef, just less sweet.
The dry down is very nice, thank to natural dry sand/dirt earthiness.
Galbanum, narcissus, sandalwood, patchouli, vetiver, a bit of creamy soap.
Soft creamy sweet aroma with a hint of antelope or zebra skin musk.
The flacon and the perfume really evokes colonial Africa of 1920´s - Out of Africa.
Reviewing 2005 version. 2013 one is nothing like this.

beatrix75

beautiful scent i like the green opening and the woodsy draydown like creamy sandalwood soapy smell 10/10

Maodo
Maodo

I have it for years. I forgot about it. And after reading these fantastic reviews today, I am gonna spritz it tomorrow. Can't wait!

Edit: What a shame tait took so long till I grapped the Safari bottle again. The perfume is lovely. It's rich, warm and it tells me a story. About human and nature, the wild and the (so called) civilized. About florals and woods, about surviving and joy. The drydown is creamy woody and the longitivity is more than okay with me, about 8 till 10 hours. I am happy.
It's green (jungle) and it's brown (desert) at the same time. Even the lions would love it. You Tarzan, me Jane. And as my favorite scents are Vent Vert from Balmain and Chanel No. 19 EDT I always thought that nothing compares to it, well here it comes, the big news guys: SAFARI DOES. A little tiny bit. In the drydown that is.

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

A stunner of an opening with as much drama as an African hawk screeching across the savanna as it circles the open sky. Beautiful, golden and regal; untamed, yet deliberate and penetrating. Bitter, resinous galbanum and tagetes (marigold) capture this introductory note perfectly.

The energy of this fragrance builds with the warmth of dry woods and grasses--still green, almost turning to hay: a young lioness crouching quietly in the long grass as her supple leathery pelt twitches with anxiety, spotting her prey--a nubile gazelle--and getting ready to race for the kill.

Then it's on! Bounding out of her cover, she dashes through the grassy plain, snapping freshly dried stems and collecting lovegrass flowers on her pelt; the loamy dry earth billowing a trail of its sweet, wooded aroma as she makes chase.

The agility of the gazelle triumphs as it darts away over the horizon. Submission is bittersweet as the lioness stands defeated in a sunkissed plume of talc, her shadow long in the hot dusky sunset.

~ I've been nursing a mini of this fragrance for quite some time, dreading the moment I use the last drop from the colonial crystal style vessel. Safari for me is assuredly full bottle worthy which I plan to acquire soon for liberal use during the summer--day and night. I also agree with stromovka that there are parallels with this beautiful fragrance and Jacomo Silences.

BillyJean
BillyJean

Beautiful packaging. Reminds me of the times of the British Empire in Africa when gentlemen dressed in khaki shirts and pants out on a safari but still wore a black suit and tie to dinner, and to hell with the climate.
The fragrance itself is reminiscent of no.19 but has a solid dry down. A little on the harsh side but it has its beauty. I have Heure Eqxuise which has a softer dry down so i guess will stick with that for now. But if i was offered a bottle of Safari it would make my day. So far have only been offered a mini but very happy with that too.

amaraztavich

This is one of the best perfumes of all time. Its breathtakingly beautiful from top to bottom....just slightly naughty or dirty smelling. It smells of sunsine jay grass lions and tigers...lol, but srdly, this is drop dead gorgeous. I didn't understand some of thecomments...I barely detecting any lilly of the valley and its not harsh in any way, its soft smooth yet powerful and majestic

Daphne du Maurier
Daphne du Maurier

I had original Safari as a teenager. It was a rich, earthy, deep olive-green scent, a bit boozy I now realize. That was nearly 25 years ago, and I've been missing it lately, wanted to smell it again. I'm not a reformulation snob, I usually like them very much, so I went ahead and ordered it, and this beautifully crafted bottle in its nostalgic box contains something that is not Safari! Not even its ghost, just a bizarrely powdery, flimsy, aldehydic impostor.

Aldehydes...they were imperceptible in the original. Safari was marketed successfully to teenagers who were wearing Obsession, Escape, Opium. Aldehydes were considered "old-youknowwhat-ish", we would never have worn this stuff. It smells more like VC&A First than the real Safari. Safari was an adventurous scent in a relaxed way, like someone you would like to know better saying, "let's go this way together and see what we find", the feeling of a summer road trip. Safari was a good name for it. But we're not on safari anymore, we're riding the mini-train through a cut-rate wild animal theme-park, and someone is covered in stale old toilette powder!

Boo hoo. I wish I could smell the real thing one last time, just for memory's sake. Dune is the only thing I know of that has a feeling similar to the real Safari. Well, not really similar, but in the same continent, at least.

The drydown is nice, extremely nice, but not worth the hours of aldehydic horror.

UPDATE: It has now been two months since I opened my new Safari, and the bottle has been sitting uncapped, breathing, in the hopes that the aldehydes would diminish somewhat...and thankfully, they have. Now I can smell something in the spirit of the old Safari, that reminds me of it, and I no longer regret buying it. The drydown is almost Safari itself. Can't wait to see what it smells like a year from now!

stromovka
stromovka

For me, this one includes Jacomo Silences notes at the opening ( i can smell almost nothing else then gbitter galbanum), and then transforms to Habanita from Molinard. Non of above mentioned are noz my favourites, neitehr Safari is. I was hoping for something more fresh and elegant.

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

A bright, very green opening that reminded me a bit of Y by YSL. But then, an overwhelming brash, still green, floral note. Lots of lily of the valley, not much else on my skin. Unfortunately, too bitter and even headache inducing for me.

HALEY-SUE
HALEY-SUE

I always kept it around but, it wasn't a go-to fragrance. a little more pungent than I care for. I felt like I smelled the rose in it more than others. Still it is compelling. Sometimes, I'd just like to wear it an hour or two and then I'm tired of it. Not as green as I'd like. My best friend loved this and REalities to death, though. I may have smelled it TOO much.

coffeex4

Thanks Lumiere! I've never heard of Escada Margaretha, but I'm looking it up now. It seems that due to the fact that so many women, and I'm sure even some men as well, grow somewhat attached to our perfumes, it would be nice if we were fore-warned, or given some kind of explanation when they suddenly disappears off the shelf. One day here, the next day gone. It's hard to find one we love, then we have to start a new search, and that can be expensive!

Lumiere

I see Safari on sale however very rarely. It seems like it is still produced but very limited. I got mine in Australia, and the shop assistant said they only get it very seldom. It was $50 for 100 ml. On Fragrantica.ru I see Safari is compared to Escada Margaretha Ley. I do not know anything about this latter fragrance, or whether it is in production, but hopefully it may help you somehow.

coffeex4

Safari used to be a favorite of mine. It was kind of an herbal, dry, sandalwood scent. I used to be very happy wearing it every day. Then it seemed to change, maybe reformulated, it got more powdery, to my nose anyway. Then it got discontinued....at least I thought it did....but now I see some of the people here are still finding it somewhere? They're either really old bottles, or "are they making it again?"

Does anybody know of another perfume that smells almost identical to Safari? I haven't found one yet, as Safari was so original. If anybody knows of a cloned scent of Safari, Please let me know!!! Thanks!

pipergirl
pipergirl

When I wore this in the 90's Safari blended perfectly with my chemistry - a gentle soapiness, subtle spice, earthiness, dry grasses; both green and warm at the same time. Safari was at once elegant and untamed and it was a beautiful departure from the flowery or spicy orientals that the older crowd seemed to be wearing a lot of at the time.
Flash forward a couple of decades and either Safari has changed or my chemistry has changed (more likely) but it is no longer the magic that it once was on my skin. On the right chemistry, this is a gorgeous, complex and very different sort of fragrance - a true knock out. On my skin now, it's o.k. but a very far cry from what it used to be.

I want this back! >:-(

Boston2013
Boston2013

I agree that Safari is earthy in scent, but it does't work on me, at all. It's earthy, but earth that has been soaked through with Dr. Pepper (and I have the bad taste, as I'm told, to heartily dislike Dr. Pepper!) LOL. :) But it reminds me of it in that it is a myriad of many notes that neither work together or come together.

I think I have cranky skin chemistry, as Safari is not the only "masterpiece or legend" that smells like moose pee on me!!

Think I'll stick to my Bel Respiro. Safer that way!

SorceressOfTheDark
SorceressOfTheDark

Safari began as a very earthy scent for me, a welcome winter fragrance that is full, rich and seems to embody heavy spices. It's a very powerful perfume that can overwhelm if used with a heavy hand, I found. If dabbed on the pulse points and one allows the heat of the body to release it, Safari is better allowed to express itself. But then it began to change.
It seemed to switch around at mid-point for me and become more cloyingly thick with floral overtones. I had difficulty with this perfume. As time went on, it thickened, rather than mellow out and ease into my own body chemistry. The scent became more astringent and dark green in affect rather than sweeter grasses. It was far more pungent than I expected.
This vintage safari turned out not to be my style and work against me, rather than with me.

SolangeN
SolangeN

Starts out a beautiful, albeit linear, green chypre and then a harsh "bug spray" musk takes over and ruins it. Too bad Lauren had to cheapen this masterpiece - it would be perfect if only it had a drydown that did not smell like chemical warfare.

Scout
Scout

After wearing the original "Lauren" in high school and early college, I transitioned to Safari looking for something more spicy, austere, "mature." What was incredible about this fragrance was that it had a dual personality, both floral and warm, but it never felt conflicted. You could be both soft and leathery at once. I eventually found it to be too "coconutty" and heavy and went back to the brighter fragrances. But still a work of art in my book. I'm especially fond of looking back on it in today's world of fruity vanilla pepper.

MzScents8ional
MzScents8ional

Safari Is a lovely green floral fragrance that I absolutely loved back in the mid 90's. I had purchased a set with both the fragrance , and the body cream. The bottle and jar are both elegantly crafted. I would wear it to work sometimes really enjoying the scent and one day one of my co-workers commented on my perfume stating that she thought it smelled just like an old fragrance by Revlon(?) called Intimate. Does anyone remember Intimate, and does anyone agree with the similarity?

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

I wore this in the early 90s and actually found it quite sweet then. Of course now the impression is not sweet at all in comparison to all the fruity vanillas and 'gourmands'.

Now, my main impression is of soapy astringency at first, not dissimilar to the opening of Chanel No. 19. This is the combo of hyacinth/rose/galbanum - clean florals and green, bitter resin.

The fuzzy warmth strengthens as the perfume takes to skin, which I think is mostly thanks to sandalwood and orange and Tagetes or Marigold (I'm really smelling the orange and to me it's more dominant than chosen notes above suggest)

I'm reminded a little of Ma Griffe (used to remind me of oranges and astringent chypre). Safari has just the right touch of vetiver to add that pungent and astringent 'grass sap' feel.

As this dies down a lovely dry rosemary note also emerges alongside oakmoss and overall the entire impression is sun-warmed grass.

This is definitely a clever, unique perfume - it takes classic green floral and chypre aspects, then warms them up with oranges and dried herbs, then voila - safari grass! If they'd added the tiniest touch of immortelle, we'd have been on the Mediterranean coastline, less orange and we might be in Europe, but somehow this dry, warm grassy haze places us in the epic grasslands of Africa, quite beautiful.

But that touch of soap (rose/hyacinth) is what makes it feel white, a little bit colonial, makes me a bit uncomfortable, but maybe now those associations can just say 'tourist on safari' rather than
dodgy colonial-style perfume. Hmm, then again, I think of the lions and animals still bred soley for the purpose of being shot by rich Europeans, then again, safaris nowadays are also about wildlife conservation, not just about killing animals cos it makes you feel primitive and alpha.

What can I say? I'm Scottish, the upper classes destroyed Scotland's landscape for centuries by turfing out Highlanders and turning the entire country into a shooting party for the rich. For fifty years the destroyed flora and fauna have gradually been re-introduced and Scotland's natural beauty is returning. Communities are buying up land, rather than sole owners. The landscape and society are all the better for it.

Somewhat tangential I know, but ultimately I dislike the connotations of this perfume, even while I admire the perfume!

Also, you might be interested to know that Lynx body spray for men made a copy of Safari ('Africa') cheaper and more 'chemically' yes, but similar. So this could definitely be worn as an aftershave. Amazing how smells evolve, and that I found this sweet in the early 90s

suemass
suemass

Gorgeous! Not for the "shrinking violet" though. I wore this in the '90s and it is one of two fragrances that I wore that would actually have men follow me and say how good I smelled. The other was the wonderful original Norell. Safari is very warm, strong, floral, spicy, grassy.... a blast of hot yet moist air......a true original. I believe it to be a great classic in its own right.

bluebellinthewoods
bluebellinthewoods

The only positives for me with this scent is I like the bottle and it lasts a long time. To me it smells wild, crude and in no way sophisticated. I guess it's a matter of taste. Mind you maybe a little wild and crude would do you good.

beatrix75

i cant imagine how it s smell safari ,but i read so many beautiful rewiev,that i order one allready and i wayt to recive and see how i fell how its gone be my reaction .

mad.kat.96
mad.kat.96

Just got this as part of a mini set yesterday, I did not expect to like it as I dont go for aldehydes, chyphres, or anything green.. I'm a oriental floral, oriental vanilla, most any oriental type usually.

The first hour or so was really hard for me to get thru terribly harse, burning my nose & throat, tasting it in my mouth.. I hadnt sprayed it on as it was a tiny bottle, just a drop or two on my wrists.. Wasnt too bad after that but still not my thing, then by 2 hours totally gone, zip zero nada.. mega wierd for the strong onset

antswife
antswife

Beautiful scent. Haven't worn it in years. If I can find it will get it for winter.

amaraztavich

out of all of the galbanum perfumes even madame rochas and my beloved guerlain chamade, Safari is my favorite, it stole my heart. Chamade is my second favorite, Chamade is a bit cleaner, it still has the dirtiness or earthiness of safari, but in a different way, it's very heavy on the amber. Safari really does smell of what my mind imagines Africa to genuinely smell like. Sunshine, earth, grass, heat, hay, soft florals sultry resins/amber. It does have a sweet heart, but it's a wild yet controlled atmosphere. A very complex and beautiful yet somewhat dangerous perfume that I will cherish always!

Sillage and Longevity could be an example of what today's perfumes should embody

Romantic yet still very sensual...... rare

Atreyu_Crimmins
Atreyu_Crimmins

What a sensory banquet!

From the green aldehydic opening to the marriage of rose, narcissus and hyacinth and compelling chypre base. The green woody notes are dry and crisp and fill your mind with visions of the Serengeti or some sensual otherworldly prairie.

Beware, this is a strong scent. Mildly evocative of classic Diors and Chanels, although this is truly unique.

I owned a 30ml in my late teens and loved it madly, but felt that it was a little out of my depth. I used to spray it on my sheets and roll in them while listening to Rachmaninoff's piano concerto #2, fancying myself amidst heady grasslands and in the arms of the male model in the original commercial (watch the video). Fast forward 15 years, and I now have the confidence to wear it with pride and panache. Divine scent that will stay with me forever.

itsallgood
itsallgood

I wore the heck out of this perfume when it was first released. I loved the scent, the bottle, and the box that it came in. I still have a box that I use for keepsakes. Safari was memorable right from the start. At the time, I wouldn't be caught at home or in public without it. This is the first perfume I bought at Macy's. Those were good times.

KATERINA LABROPOULOU
KATERINA LABROPOULOU

I knew this perfume since 90s. What can I say it is really a masterpiece. Thank goodness it was again once more available after so many years of disappearance. It is so aromatic yet exotic and soapy too. I can't find many words to describe this one but such perfumes of this quality will never be made again. I would suggest this is appropriate for spring/summer. Longevity is great and sillage much appropriate. I must not forget to praise enough the first class bottle along with the snakeskin magnificent box. All collectors of perfumes should get this one. 10/10.

nofixedstars
nofixedstars

Safari...How did I miss this one? Very happy that I belatedly discovered it...

It opens with a round, gently sweet golden floralcy, layered with a bit of citrus, galbanum, and a slight herbal sharpness. As it continues to bloom on the skin, I notice the marigold, its pleasantly astringent tang adding to the green, aromatic quality. I also notice something almost fruity at this stage, perhaps the black currant, which seems to morph into a well-handled floral. Then a smooth but not bland sandalwood-y and mossy base settles in, kept subtly herbal with vetiver. I smell something almost like honey, perhaps from the lingering florals. To me, this is a very successful perfume, walking a line between floral and aromatic/green in a most enticing way. It doesn't smell like a thousand other things out there, instead having a unique, original character of its own. In that, it rather reminds me of Dune, which i also like; but i think Safari is more alluring.

Others have mentioned that they found Safari "strong"---I don't. On the contrary, I find it on the subtle side. It lasts fairly well, however. Timeless, ageless, genderless, unusual, and beautiful. Deservedly going on my full bottle list!

Lubylikes
Lubylikes

If a 40°C day with a northerly wind had a scent it would be Safari.

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

One of the first fragrances that I ever bought was Ralph Lauren's - Lauren. This defined an era in my personal history and I have always liked Ralph Lauren's marketing and advertising campaigns.

The name "Safari" is very captivating, very similar to the Meryl Streep and Robert Redford movie by that name. I feel that this movie was the lure that I associated with Ralph Lauren's fragrance by that name. The movie was very romantic and beautiful, and had a very haunting music track.

When I tried the fragrance, Safari-- I was expecting so much more... based on the movie. But I was left with an impression that this fragrance has a distinctive smell, but there is something quite "headache-y" about it... almost medicinal. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it was a smell that would almost be like "cough syrup" - or something that I associate in a not-so-positive way. I just couldn't get into it, even though I really like the name, manufacturer, and the movie that shares this name.

I really like some of Ralph Lauren's other fragrances, but this one does not blend with my individual chemistry.

Try it, it is probably just me... you may really like it.

panacea_thailand
panacea_thailand

Is it getting back into the market? Great! Love SAFARI badly. Nothing compares.

Giovanna
Giovanna

I own a bottle that belonged to my mother. She has never liked it much and has always thought it was a male perfume because it was too strong and didn't had any sweetness to it (my father gave her this perfume and she thought he bought the male version by mistake) :)
The first minutes the scent is pungent, very crispy, but if we wait for it to settle it becomes a very soft and warm woody aroma. A litle bit masculine but very pleasant!

dinamadden
dinamadden

i use it in my toilet, its very intense. not very feminine.

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

I am seriously impressed..........

Because of the thoughtfulness of AKATS ( thank you, friend! ), I am now wearing Safari, a fragrance that is correctly and appropriately named. For once, the name, description, and advertisement, do not lie! I cannot imagine a more appropriate scent to wear in the dry heat of summer, though it's quite lovely in today's spring weather as well.

First and foremost there is the bitterness of tagetes, something like the scent of marigolds. But on my skin, this warms to an aura almost sweet and gently wild. I can picture vast plains, the African velt, and grassy meadows. Wildflowers, and dry grasses ~ now burnt by the sun ~ are alive with wonder. This has ruggedness, touched by incredible natural beauty.

An extraordinary scent, perfect for a chypre lover. Because of the excellent longevity, I give Safari FIVE STARS.

Absolutely Beautiful

cyprusmum
cyprusmum

Safari was one of the greatest scents of the 90s. I felt so empowered back then! I got people on the train asking me what was that perfume I was wearing. Not a bad feat considering it was the London Underground where everybody minds their own business! Seriously, it was vibrant, energetic, and I hold it dear like a long lost memory. Would buy again, just for that "Ah, those were the days" moments!

Fragrantguy
Fragrantguy

One of my customers at work always wears this perfume, after smelling it on her all the time, I had to ask her what it was. I said it smelt very "earthy", fresh, sandalwoody, and indian. She smiled and said it was Safari by Ralph Lauren and that it was an earthy exotic smell. She said that it wasn't made anymore and that it was an old fragrance she has loved for twenty years. I told her I loved it as well, she now wears it all the time when she seems me at work. I think I've charmed her from complimenting her so much on it. I've located it brand new at my local mall in a kiosk that cares just about every fragrance there is in America. I'm thinking of buying for myself, this is how nice it smells. Not to mention the beautiful bottle it comes in. I've never been an earthy, green, fragrance kind of person. But the rose and sandalwood brings you into a beautiful green pasture with flowers all around on a sunset mountain. Beautiful fragrance.

akats
akats

Adorable! A unique wearable and versatile floral green. It starts loudly. Wild galbanum and tagete, surprise you with their bitterness, yet a complicated one, as the floral heart is somewhere there and waits its turn to show up. Be patient! Don't be afraid of it. The perfume soon settles in a warmer, spicy woody and floral smell. Hiacynth, cassis, black currant, together with the other florals tame it dramatically. The heart developes slowly and the perfume changes continously. What you smell at first, is different from what you smell after half and hour, and at the dry down. All of its stages are trully marvelous and elegant. The dry down is sultry, woody and ambery and lasts very long. It stays on cloths for a whole day, so that you can feel the perfume, even if your skin has swallowed it.

ivi rose
ivi rose

I just got a 7.5 ml bottle of the pure parfum from 1989.
Nice and clean with a sweet center. But oh now I smelled a faint whiff of wet dog. Could this be the grasses, I don't know but that whiff is gone, thank God. After 2 hours it is leveling off to a clean, soapy scent. Glad to have it in my collection, but not a signature scent. I will probably heed some of the other reviewers comments and wait till summer to try it again.

jana.hullinghorst
jana.hullinghorst

smells powdery on me.. i like lauren waaay better.

zarah
zarah

its nice superrrrrr fab,in summer.

willfulmissconduct
willfulmissconduct

I loved this. The scent always reminded me of DIAL soap.

camaral
camaral

I am soooo glad I didn't review Safari when first purchased as a mini over a year ago. Aldehydes, galbanum and vetiver were so apocalyptic that I thought the fragrance had turned. After sniffing a few times more (and speaking the Lord's name in vain) I left it open on my vanity for several hours to breathe, then put it away for months.
It is amazing now! Marigold leads appropriately, and the other florals, herbs, fruit and earth have fallen into place. This potion has serious longevity.
I've found myself turning to Safari quite often this season, and look forward to experimenting with it in the future- perhaps on a stormy summer evening. This is truly a blind buy happy ending!

vanilla1975
vanilla1975

What a gorgeous bottle! Few years ago I saw picure of it in a magazine. A hero of article named Safari as her signature perfume. I searched for info about it and I was sure I will love it.It sounds funny but I fell in love with perfume without smelling it lol. The commercial and packaging was so beautiful! And finally I get chance to test it this autumn. It's soapy and green but has something oriental and earhy too. If you want to be original, try this gem! :)

Yourfoxiness
Yourfoxiness

@Timetoski, I have smelled them both recently, and the new version is not bad, it just lacks the staying power, the oomph of an earlier powerhouse. the Vintage has a little more "bottom" probably the oakmoss & galabdnum? it seems the old one has more curves, and the new is slightly more streamlined, green and fresh, to the Vintages depth. I would wear it layered with a bit of vintage. or keep a purse spray handy. it is still better than most modern releases imo.

Timetoski

Has anyone smelled the reintroduced Safari, that's currently on Ralph Lauren website? I'd like to know if it smells the same as the older version... Thanks!

WayneDN

I agree it was great in its day! Too many better scents have come along. Better left to a memory!

cronai
cronai

This was a very great scent in its time, and it quickly became a favorite among my crowd, what with the lovely bottle and packaging.

I haven't met it in years now. I used to love it, but I'm not so sure if I would like it the same nowadays.

Some things are better just left in the past, and this is probably one of them.

Timetoski

This is on Ralph Lauren's website again! Have they reinvented? If so, "YAY"! It was a fave.

mell
mell

this was my signature scent in the nineties then it became unavailable in my country couldn't even order via the net as r l doesn't ship here i had a twenty year old bottle that i keep for nostalgia and it stayed true to form i often longed to be able to wear it again back then i couldn't tell my dry woody from my green floral just wore what i liked since then i have had many other favourites and one day it was advertised in a chemist i couldn't believe my eyes of course i dropped every thing drove to the other side of town (an hour long trip)and bought it when i first wore it i thought i had made a mistake maybe my taste had altered over the years maybe i increased its deliciousness in my mind over inflating its value just because of its rarity but as it developed the familiar memories came flooding back amazing how scent is so evocative of stages in your life people who never knew me back then have been very complimentary strangers have commented and my other perfume aficionados who have never smelled this before are in raptures.
well we all know now why the perfumes don't smell as beautiful as they used to ifra i'm looking at you.

Sissi
Sissi

Does color have a smell? Everyone has it's own interpretation to such Questions,ie; Red,A rose?, Cherry,Pepper?,Y.S.L Opium? Blue, Blueberries,Water,
Sea-breeze?,D&G Light Blue?

Safari with a note of Aldehyde Giving a picture of a Meadow after the Midnight Rain into a
Misty early morning Dew with tinge of Sharp Cold Nuances,In a few Minutes The note of Galbanum with
it's Resinous Greens brings Safari a Leafy Fullness
Saturated Fields of Orange and Yellow Tagetes with their velvet Petals turns Safari Herbaceous,

I Can notice a Note of Peach during the middle of
the Aldehyde and Galbanum Clash adding a fruity
Touch in this already Multifaceted Canvas,

With the Notes that i smelled and that of that note cards I Would Picture Safari Like an Interplay or a Battle Of Colors to see who will dominate Like the
Aldehydes and The Galbanum are the Green Notes
and Tagetes Orange on a Vast Meadow

But i Must Add that The Flacon design has to be
sheer Craftsmanship The Bottle makes you think
of the Old Antebellum South women with Corsets
and Hoop skirts Dixie Scarlet O'Hara Rogues
who sit on the porch Sipping Bourbon Under Lines
of Oak Trees,

Ralph Lauren Safari Gives me that Vibe.

Toyota
Toyota

I love this so much. It's my signature scent for summer. I feel very confident when I wear it especially when the weather is extremely hot.

beesha
beesha

From the beginning Safari quite strong and i was expecting (with dissapointment) it to turn to another old ladyish perfume, but it became so marvelous and comforting , i can smell the heat and herbs, but i would not say Safari is a subtle perfume, as i heard somewhere in description, it is quite a statement. And now i know exactly what it reminds me of: it is amazing smell of Camay shic (it is french soap smells luxury)but saying this i thought one day: if there is there perfume that smells like this soap i will buy the biggest bottle. About the bottle: it is AMAZING!!!!!!i cannot take my eyes from it and would consider this perfume even just for the bottle(i even tested it first because of the bottle so Beautiful) it is pain to see as some expensive perfumes have awful cheap bottles novadays, because perfume is a luxury item by the end of the day and glass is cheap. So Safari ticks all the boxes!!Certainly smell inside the bottle first importance.

Today was my lucky day.

I went hunting-not for an animal-just for the sniff of Safari.

I saw it at a local chemist a week ago-I always thought is is not for me. Intrigued though by reviews and panic of its being discontinued-I had to give it another try.
Hhhuh! It's dissapeared. Lovely sales lady (with First as her signature) tipped me to go to the closest perfume heaven counter. When i asked about it, sales lady reached in a far away corner, grabbed one of the two suitcase style boxes and placed in front of me. No tester. She said-we have just received several bottles, 5 were instantly sold, these 2 are the last ones for now, very hard to get it. Should I buy blind....? $55-not planned purchase at all. No smaller bottle. I was listening to my intuition for 5 min.

And now I am in bliss. After a bit sharp bitter opening, wiffs of sweetness gently released, it has settled with steppes herbs and dry hay. I smile all the time, imagining walking through the dry grasses of the fields, listening to aromas of dry plants, precious oily herbs..It's quite interesting that i had an urge for something slightly unisex and acutely herbal though, as always in nature, in harmony with gentleness...Safari has satisfied my thirst. I was looking to blind purchase Yatagan by Caron-I think, for now I can be content with Safari. It may be one of 3 best perfumes I am taking with me on my long anticipated comeback home-it's gonna be summer there then...I will take Safari to meet the steppes of my childhood.

nikkimouse
nikkimouse

I picture a Lion with long flowing maine, frolicking through the deep grass with his cubs, you can barly see them because their golden coats blend so effortlessly into the tall wheat grass... they slowly begin to aproach the southern coast of Africa.. the fresh ocean, and sun baked sand are glistening in the sunset - It has a touch of Dune to me, but just a touch. Like a mix of no5 edt VINTAGE and no19VINTAGE, with just a touch of a quality similar to Dior Dune. Prety Amazing and Brilliant, while this can easily satisfy my craving for no5 and no19, it's just a touch of dune, which still make Dune very relivant to my perfume collection. But again my cravings for 05 abd 19 are being deliciously satisfied within this masterpiece cleverly and righteously named 'Safari'

There is a smell of fur very similar to that of the drydown in chanel no5, but also the crisp greens of vintage chanel no19,golden sands, waiving wheat or hay, with the addition of something unique. It might be the galblanum or it might be the tagetes.

The grass starts out sharp but then turns softy and freshly sweatened by the desert air. Don't get me wrong, this is very dry, but twords the drydown it' soften or slightly sweetens up. And I repeat that is a SLIGHT kind of sweet, a natural, non candy kind of sweet.

Such a fanatastic perfume, All this (just mentioned) plus it's gorgeous bottle , and long lasting quality, sillge is perfect, longevity is approx 10 hours

Also, I agree, there is a boozey kind of quality. like conganc warm and sweetened with honey, fruit and herbs (or like an apricot brandy) This is subtle, and make this beauty even more delectable

So glad I gave this beauty another chance , I almost missed out on a true work of perfume art :)
9.5/10

Come to think of it, maybe this was Ralph Lauren's attempt to compete with a few of the big sellers at the time, Dune, and Chanel 19 and 05

I think he far surpassed the Chanels, I believe Dune to be of equal but somewhat different quality

Just watched the video for the mens', and yes, I think the baby lion is a perfect metaphore for this perfume. It's a killer / powerhouse, yet it's also light herted, earthy and fun, yes fun. Not in the way that poem is. This is exotic and deep also

bond_girl1979
bond_girl1979

What can I say - an oldie but a goodie! Am very fond of classics with charming bottles. This is one of my favourite daytime scents. I guess too, being a bit of a free spirit and fond of animals, nature and open spaces, the name itself was always going to pull in my curiosity! Starts with an almost affronting lemongrass zing that warms down to a more comfortable and pleasing lavendar, woody and cedar scent. I find it works well when I mix it with some of my other favourite scents.

diego.lesgart

Sumamente original, me gusta mucho mas el de mujer y es veraniega, clima africano sin pecar de cursi... platano y especias... suspese de lanceti es muy similar...

rainbow.owl2
rainbow.owl2

I have seen new stock of Safari in a UK perfume shop, it is apparently available to buy in perfume shops once more. Smells lovely but I am not familiar enough with the original version to know if/how much it has been reformulated...

after a few hours on my arm I am really impressed with Safari. It's grassy & warm. I really like it.

It reminds me of dior dioressence in 'feel'.

nananessa
nananessa

Loved it. His best fragrance IMHO.

gCMickens
gCMickens

I feel the same as some reviewers who did not like the scent at fiirst. I have several bottles because the gift sets were so inexpensive at major dept. store and the bottles are sooo pretty. 20 years later ..... One night I started experimenting with old rejects (not all at same time) and found that OMG it was so nice. I found a small jar of talc ( was in those gift sets originally ) on my Father in laws garden table outside exposed to elements. He thought it was an old salt shaker. He gave it to me and it still had a nice scent.

ecofreak2001
ecofreak2001

Could you believe it...never tried it in my late teens or twenties. I just gave it a try (now that is discontinued :( ). It's a strong scent; very elegant and mature. At first you can smell a trip to the woods and as time passes it leaves a powdery, exotic scent on your skin...very elegant and classy. The bottle is absolutely gorgeous; it will make a statement anywhere you put it.

Louw
Louw

It's strange how one's tastes change over the years - I used to detest this fragrance, finding it bitter and sharp. I avoided it and pretty much forgot about it for years then recently smelled it on someone else, not recognising it until I was told, and thought it was beautiful. I then dashed out to try it on myself and found -to my surprise - that I love it! I no longer find that sharpness that used to turn me off; instead I find a warmth and a soft, almost powdery undertone that is quite comforting yet alluring.

It just goes to show: never say never!

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

For lovers of strong white florals and grasses with some dryness and scratchiness, this is one for you. It is not to my taste, but I can appreciate how popular this one might be. Not so green IMO, more of a chypre with the base notes of cedar and the top notes of tagetes adding quite a lot of bitter sillage. I would not wear this in confined spaces, and I think one would have to be sparing in its application. Also, more suited to the mature woman, nothing "little girl" about this one. Did not change on me during the drydown except for maybe the spiky beginning (yes spiky, not spicy) becoming more smoothed and rounded. Generous longevity.

Thanks Yamba1 for the sample!

Edit on 8.2.12: I have a 4ml mini of this perfume to swap if anyone is interested. Lots of perfumes I want!!!

Fre.peo.jas.fig7
Fre.peo.jas.fig7

Had the huge lotion, large spray and powder...as a gift. Well, it wasn't my cup of tea, way too serious for me and nothing special. I gave it to a co-worker and she loved it. We both win!

pingui
pingui

This was something I haven't smelled since I was in high school, which back then, at the original price-point I could not afford it. Spring forward 21-22 years later, in my mind, I really wanted it based on the fragrance I remembered.

I got lucky today at an independent drug store, that had TWO mint condition boxes of it in their case! More surprising was that it was marked $15 less than the lowest price in my research online.

I held my breath, as if breathing would make the boxes disappear, and then went to find someone to open the case.

When I first sprayed the perfume, I was assaulted by mowed lawn, hay, moss, and lilac intensified by the aldehydes, which made everything really bright. I thought, "oh, no! Did I make a mistake?" It felt too masculine to me, which is saying something because I like "masculine" fragrances personally. (I used to wear Dior's Eau Sauvage for instance).

Slowly, the fragrance evolves like a slow walk through the woods. I felt transported to the Virginia countryside that I grew up in. Flowers, leaves, and moss are trampled beneath my feet. I stop to take a rest, and fall asleep unknowingly in the woods.

When I awoke, as if from a short dream, some 6 hrs. later, I discover that my wrist has settled into an organic comforting fire fed with cedar. I have a glass of warm cider laced with scotch in my hand. I get a light iris with a little vanilla, which I don't wonder is my own personal chemistry coming to the forefront.

lizatt
lizatt

though i', really young i love this perfume so much but i use allure by chanel pour homme body tonic(it was my fathers) before apply it and then it comes my scent of my fantasy it smells like paloma picasso minus the too much soapy smell and the bottle is very vintage classy and fancy its gonna be my signature smell if i become lady:D

Scarlette
Scarlette

Gorgeous thick green floral that reminds me of Private Collection, although I find it to be harsher (although it smooths out beautifully after an hour) & less refined. Warm marigolds. Both are very lovely!

Safari is perfect in the summer heat, as it reminds of the wind blowing in the driest desert. Yet, it also fits perfectly on a cold winter's night. Very deep, complex, and should NOT be judged unless it is worn on the skin, and after 15 minutes. Unforgettable. Very unique. Very sexy.

Apply sparingly in the heat, this is potent!

jazmam
jazmam

Tovah, wow :)
That was quite the enjoyable read, beautiful..really

Tovah
Tovah

I loved Safari to an almost unreasonable degree - it was like a magic potion to me and I cherished its beauty. Tresor was my "daytime" fragrance, but Safari was for my nights. I wore it for many years, and within the ambience of this scent there are many many tales I could tell. It's the fragrance of my early '90s Orange County loves and lusts and losses and gains and confusion and getting through my 20s ending up stronger and better than I thought I could be. I haven't owned a bottle in years now, because there are parts of me within the notes of the perfume that I don't yet want to feel again. Herein lies the rub: the magic can also be the curse. Safari smells like orange blossom, and oleander blowing on the breeze in warm night winds. But it's the blend of marigold and galbanum that hits right after the breezey beginning that gets me every time. It's like inhaling the concept of beautiful if that could be done. All this romanticism aside, if worn heavily, Safari also has a seductress side from orris, patchouli and vetiver. Safari is a scent for a redhead in a red dress, and that redhead is wearing that red dress for reasons of her own.

Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt
Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt

I'm not sure if I like this, I cant remember smelling it was so young at the time that it doesn't matter, my sniffing senses have changed so much from then, I'm thinking I will love this. Just made a blind buy on Ebay ... a 2.5 60% full for 4 bucks.

Truthfully it doesn't matter if I like it or not... the bottle is so beautiful it will made a great addition to my collection :)

I'll report back, lol

-reporting back, omy my my, I cant believe that when I was young I sniffed this then never gave it a second thought.

First off, Although I see green notes... I really dont take this as a 'green' perfume... the green is detectable, and this smells slightly of aldahydes (more so to me than boudior that has aldahydes listed).. I also pick up a hay note? some kind of gold aura, the slightest fruitiness (not gourmand in anyway) (very spicy fruity).. but once you get to the drydown... it's gone (for me anyway) ODDLY ... the drydown to me... resembles very much , one of my favorite perfumes of all times, that being Vivienne Westwood's 'Boudior' it's creamy boozy sexy...with definant hints of vanilla.. only real difference that I can tell is that I belive Safari to be spicier than Boudior and the booziness to be slightly toned down... I'd say this is more suited for wintertime maybe fall.. it's a warm cozy fragrance, although it's not as thick and dense as boudior it does have more of a linear quality (but very rich at the same time) I'd wear it on the occasional summer evening as well :)

And the green is rather enjoyable it does last some time for me until it reaches the drydown.. which takes over an hour...I'll report back on the longevity...

omg.. I feel so lucky to own this bottle, that is other than for the juice inside, the bottle is just stunning, something we rarely see in the dept. store aznymore :/ I just won a body cream on ebay for only a few bucks, also in a gorgeous bottle. cant wait :) I believe I may try to use it with Boudior as well...Will let you know how tht works out and the longevity of This gorgeous perfume
-one more thing.. at some point (before the drydown in the early stages) it just vaguely reminds me of the original vintage 'EAu de Gucci' ...but that lasts only for a moment

krmarich
krmarich

What a way to begin the 1990s! It is a tribute to Out Of Africa. This was Ralph Laurens "great work". We stand on the peak of Mt. Kilamanjaro and breath. It would all be downhill after this. Safari is a romantic ideal that today seems obsolete. Now vanished from the market, this classic is more valuable than ever.

The composition revolves around sandalwood and rose. I would have to say its more of a chype than anything. Vetiver, patcholi, and oakmoss(not listed) support narcissus, hyacinth, tagetes and rich jasmine. The rose is pink and longing to flirt. The sandalwood and cedar provide a hard wood base that supports this elegant beauty.

Chamade is the only comparison I found to Safari. Yet it was a little more green. It is dry, like the Kenyan savannah. Its time in production was all to brief. I was able to find a teardrop bottle that is as lovely as its contents.

Celebrity=Meryl Streep

jtd
jtd

I hadn’t known that this was discontinued until I started to write this reflection. I’m of a couple of minds about Safari, but I’m sorry it’s d/c’d. It’s an interesting alternative to other widely-available, mainstream florals. It starts crisp and grassy. It’s heavy on the galbanum, but the high-pitched green florals (especially hyacinth) keep it from seeming chalky. The midnotes categorize Safari: green, woody floral.

I do like Safari for its crisp coolness, but this snappiness slowly fades. It remains cool to the touch, a great feature in a hot climate, but gets a little sweeter over time. The sweetness works well with the grassy, somewhat fruity topnotes and gives that feeling in the nose of taking a shot of wheatgrass. Eventually, though, the sweetness leaves the drydown lacking the dimension of the top and heartnotes. Overall, Safari is an extremely coherent design and has remarkable longevity.

A note: I haven’t the least idea how this fragrance relates to a safari. The typical Ralph Lauren notion of surrounding yourself with the trappings of privilege from some distorted fictional past is particularly horrifying here. If what Africa provides for North America and Europe is a cheap vacation (“safari”) why not go whole hog, stay a bit, and call it Colonialism?

Wega
Wega

I'm wearing this today, and loving it - as usual! I'm working out in the garden, a major project of tearing out 6m x 6m wild patch of overgrown fennel, blackberry canes and old rose canes. It's hot and bright, the ground is parched and the grass is dry, dry.
This perfume melds PERFECTLY with my project today. Warm earth, slightly resinous, dry dusty/sweet grasses, and a sharp, intense, matured vegetal green. And the barest hint of sweaty girl (or maybe that's me).
Kind of funny, though... I'm not sure if the sweet anise/fennel note is from my wrists or form the garden.

This scent is sharp and strong, at least at first, but it suits my mood often. Lasts on me 6 hours+, and revives with heat and activity.

Edited to add: I read today (9/12/11) that galbanum is a resin from a fennel variant. No wonder this perfume matched so perfectly with my fennel-tearing-out project!

aprilmoon
aprilmoon

There was a large bottle of this at Wal-Mart and it sat in the perfume case FOREVER. They kept discounting it and to this day I kick myself for not getting it. I have only smelled it a few times and like it.

TWebb
TWebb

One of my favorite frangrances for Fall/Winter. Over the years, I have gotten more compliments ("what is that perfume you are wearing?) wearing Safari than any other fragrance. It goes on a little strong but soon mellows to a warm woodsy floral. It is getting harder to find. I heard rumors of it being discontinued - Please Ralph Lauren, do not discontinue this classic fragrance.

takeasniff

I hated this when I was younger. I only wanted it because it was in all the magazines and the bottle was so luxurious. Now that I am older I love it. I like the opening and when it dries on me it has a slight soapy body lotion smell. I think on some people it could smell awful. My mum said the other day she had this perfume dad got for her and she doesnt know how to tell him she doesnt like it and would I like it. I said oh yeah I will have a look at it. When she showed me I laughed because I actually got that for her many years ago she has forgotton. So I gladly took it. She can't stand it but then she like Paris and Champs elysees so obviously she doesn't like this sort of perfume. I said to her no I got you that and she laughed. I got it for her because I opened a little mini ralph lauren set of perfumes and the first one I tried was the safari. Back then I didn't even know what it was and mum said oh that smells nice. When it was her birthday I got her a large bottle of it. Well she doesn't like it on herself but likes it on me so go figure. She is funny. Needless to say I scorred a bottle of Safari out of the blue and I gave her Paris which she was over the moon and back again so shes happy I am happy and we all live happily ever after!!

mkmpoon
mkmpoon

I 'reunited' with this perfume just a couple of months ago,and it brings back memories of the 90s. Its opening note is very sharp and green whilst the remaining notes are floral and this pleasant scent stays on for quite a long time. I managed to get hold of the tear drop glass bottle which must have become an antique now. I am told that they still manufacture it in the States but just that retailers in Hong Kong do not import them anymore. So I went back to buy the remaining larger bottle in order not to leave room for any regrets. Classic good scents are difficult to get these days.

N_STITCHES
N_STITCHES

I loved Safari! I wore it for most of the '90's. I had the whole set, even the adorable tear drop bottle that laid on its side. It was such an elegant set. The body powder and body cream were wonderful. I feel the same now about Chanel No. 5 body powder and velvet body cream. Both were/are very soft and luxurious.

madhatter1
madhatter1

Simply loved the body creme. Nice collectible bottle. It is so luxurious and long lasting. Very hard to find the creme sold anywhere cheap!

Miffymuffin
Miffymuffin

I have to agree with the other reviewers about the opening notes of Safari. It starts off very sharp and green. I get damp straw for the first few minutes then a grassy, creamy flowery aroma like a summer meadow. It mellows and gets better the longer you wear it. Scary at first I thought I'd made a HUGE mistake butI have to say I like it very much.

takeasniff

If you are having trouble finding this then try channel no. 19 it smells similar. It is not the same but very similar. I have both and they are in the same category for me. Just a suggestion.

vanillabean23
vanillabean23

Is it true that Safari for women is no longer being produced?! If it isn't, then I'm a bit heartbroken!! This fragrance is so warm and intense, and I find that the amber finale leaves a marvellous wake wherever I go. I love it for this reason in particular. Safari certainly is one of my favorite room fillers!

I know a person who wears this as a signature fragrance and it was one of the first times I asked a person about her scent - not because I liked it but because I found it was so bad. It's so strong that you smell her already from a distance. When you come closer you almost cannot stand it. I find it sharp and nauseating - like you're going to an animal's cage in a zoo.

passionata20

It is so strange how smells changes over the seasons. I have tried this scent for the first time during winter time while there was a lot and lot of snow outside and the temperature was way below zero. And what i smelled i didn´t like (see my review below). It was all too green and too dry for me.
Yesterday i have tried it once again and this time it is a spring outside and quite warm and " Safari" smells completly different!!! Laso green and dry at the beginning, but now it transforms into beautiful flower scent also later. I can finally smell roses here! What a wonder! It becomes so wonderfully warm and even creamy, it developes and changes. One sniff it is green, the other time it is flowerly...
Sooo beautiful! I need to buy myself a bottle now, since the one i had i gave away to my friend. A must have for summer! 5 star!

Angel10
Angel10

Very rich & dry at the same time. I like this one a LOT better than Dune, but it is along the same lines....much sunnier, more feminine & rich though! Has that same dry, grassy, fresh & hot thing goin' on...but it is sweeter, which I like, as Dune is too masculine for me.

I find Safari very deep & mysterious, special, humbling and unique.

Speaks volumes in blinding sexuality, without seeming to try in the least. This perfume is hot & bothered. I would also classify it as a floral chypre, and not a floral green. Anybody agree?

Exquisitely blended, with just the right amount of everything, although it is teetering on the edge of breathlessness, which makes me love it all the more.

Do not judge this fume until you have had it on for 5 minutes....the opening is harsh, but it blooms into one of the most beautiful smells I have ever smelled.

A treasure, never to be duplicated. Lasts forever.

One of my very favorites. My hubby likes, my daughter hates it.

Angelfreak4
Angelfreak4

Safari EDP was my signature fragrance from 1994 to 1999. It was getting hard to find after 1999, couldn't find the lotion or bath powder any more, so I found another signature - Angel. I recieved so many compliments on this scent wherever I went. It blends so beautifully with my chemistry from instant spray! The newest bottle I have was from TJ Maxx, (I bought two). It doesn't seem to be reformulated to me at all, and is very long-lasting. I hope Ralph Lauren brings this one back, so many reviewers seem to want it back in production. I hope so!!!!

Gingerwoman

This was my signature scent. Please bring it back!

Siv55
Siv55

Genuinely smells warm, dry and green, like walking through grasslands. Just seems to get hotter and dryer. Quite different, can't think of anything similar. Had a mini bottle in a set from around ten years ago. Wanted to get more but never did. Recently used up the mini bottle..
Then in synchronicity? (or whatever) it suddenly appeared in my local The Perfume Shop branch. The woman said it was discontinued, but somehow they had got hold of a few bottles of old stock. (all 75ml) Then she said Ralph Lauren were just TRYING to discontinue. So is it or not?
While I was debating whether or not to buy a second bottle, if it really WAS discontinued, a woman came along and bought the last five at once.
WOW. That's like a perfume pension fund!
I did not, however, like the attitude of the assistant, who said afterwards,
"Some people just don't want to move on."
No we don't >:( we want what we love to stay!

Convict13
Convict13

Another gift many years ago and I loved it, wore it everyday for ages. Classic, classy, luxury. I must go get myself some more.

Vamy69
Vamy69

I was quite surprised at how much I liked this. I cannot put my finger on just one particular note that sticks out in this but all together they play on my skin in perfect harmony. I love it!

twillocks
twillocks

On me it smelled like some type of metal. AGGG!!! I gave it away.

moraine
moraine

The first "grown-up" perfume I ever received, way back when I was 13... I was too timid then to wear it openly, but I loved it and dabbed a tiny drop on my wrist to sniff throughout the day

Anna_gr
Anna_gr

Reading all these reviews made me want to try Safari badly. Results report: I bought a Pure Perfume mini. It is gorgeous! On me the herbal phase lasts only few minutes. Then it transforms into wonderful Jasmine - honey. Somehow it reminds me of completely different and beloved 24 Faubourg....

Very good, but not what I expected. I looked for green, woody and dry. I got a big floral :)

Update: tried it again - and suddenly it showed the dry herbal side of it. I really liked it. The flowery side was on the background, as if you go by foot in the desert and dream of an oasis.
Liked it much more, will continue trying.

passionata20

I was so excited to try this one because my neighbour said it was such a joyful fragrance. When i recieved it i was dissapointed. This is a very sharp and very very dry fragrance. All i get is mandarine and some other bitter woody notes dominanting.
It feels like very hot summer day in desert, without water. While i was hoping that this will develope leater into florals, i still feel only bitter notes dominanting with only a hint of jasmine and hyacint.
reminds me a bit of Dior´s Dune indeed, but while Dune is all about sun, sand and sea, this one has no water in sight...
I had to give it as a gift to a friend of mine who really loved it and instantly defined it as a oriental woody scent. It´s an evening scent for a special occasion but not my taste sadly. I prefer Scherrer´s Nuits Indiennes which falls also into this category in my opinion. But the name is all perfect for this one and i also find a bottle very attractive. I might purchase a mini one day just to have it and sniff it time after time.

TakaBeata
TakaBeata

When I was a teenager the safari was more accessible. I had a sample of these scent and in the morning whene I going to school by bus ,behind me sat 2 boys,This boys smiled to themselves and spoke "that they feel almond oil".

I like Safari :)

hya_philomena
hya_philomena

**Ralph Lauren brought this back and you can buy it on their website directly! Don't pay exorbitant prices on eBay!!!!

That being said, Safari is my all-time favorite. I fell in love with it as a little girl when my Mom owned it and started wearing it as soon as I was allowed (@14). I'm now 31 and it's still a favorite - sexy and feminine. It's an oriental floral with the undertone of woodiness and a bit of green in there, too, though not too much to make it "fresh." It's weighted down and made more mature and warm, I think, by the tonka bean. I get headaches from perfumes that are too rich and heavy orientals, but this is the perfect blend and can be strong without being headache-inducing. Silage is fantastic and even lasts in hot, humid weather well.

It's definitely timeless and ageless because my Mom wears it, I loved it as a teenie, my paternal Grandmother loves it (not the coolest thing to find out when you're a teen that your Grandmother also wears your perfume, but, hey :-). Might sound weird, but I guess it's a high compliment to the parfumeur that a scent can carry over so many boundaries and be well-loved by all.

scentnovicegal
scentnovicegal

The first time i smelled Ralph Lauren i loved the herb,grass qualities. It had this freshness which made me want to have it. The next time I sniffed it the freshness wasn't there. It was a little bitter. But i gave it a try and I am not disappointed. The freshness is there and i'm loving the green notes.

nonnative
nonnative

I long wanted a bottle of safari. This week a generous friend gave me a half empty bottle of this precious juice. I read so much about it, but its results on my skin are quite unexpected. A strongly retrò openinig that disappointed me, immediately turned into a soft conforting heart of white and creamy flowers. The basenotes are patchuly like and strong, good but not as exellent as the heart notes. Even if with some defects I consider safari a good parfume. I can't understand why it was discontinued. I think it would always have a market of its own.

danielleo
danielleo

The very first fragrance I ever bought as a teenager, and still my all time favourite.

Olfactarama
Olfactarama

It made me go Wow! and reach for my wallet. Dry and grassy and perfect for warm weather.

I almost squealed with excitement when I saw a Safari tester in a store I visited a few weeks ago. It was on my 'for test' list a year ago but I had given up hope when every attempt to find it had failed.

This fragrance was everything I hoped it would be. I can actually imagine myself wearing this on a safari, however it may not be too wonderful under desert conditions. Oh hell, I'd wear it anyway.

Safari is a floral green like the olfactive group suggests, however it's also an oriental in the sense that it relies on some rather spicy and earthy notes to carry the composition. It's feminine but also very warm and sensual on the skin.

At times it can be a little sharp, however I love its bold qualities. After some time the scent mellows into a spicy-floral soapiness which is quite different from the opening which was a combination of green accords, fruit and bold resins.

Safari is surprisingly an elegant fragrance, so not what I was expecting, that is, something that you could wear with your khakis and your sun-hat. It's spicy and clean luxury to my nose.

The sillage is fairly strong, however on my skin this fragrance struggled to last. I was very disappointed that such a classic fragrance didn't last the distance.

Despite the longevity being poor, I still adore Safari. It's a shame that this fragrance doesn't accompany the rather popular Safari for Men on the shelves anymore.

guest_Carol
guest_Carol

This has always been a fave of mine...and my boyfriend LOVES it on me! Harder to find now, most big dept stores don't carry it any longer...but I can find it at fragrance discount stores in the mall usually.

emi
emi

I don't actually like this one. It's a little bit green, a little bit powdery, a little bit sweet and a little bit tart and I also can smell rubber in it. This is a disgusting mix for my nose. Although I dislike the perfume I love the bottle. This is a work of art for me. Beautyful, and I would buy it just for the bottle. Just to put it on a shelf and look at it.

cisco
cisco

I love Safari. It seems woody and spicey to me. I love both those qualities. It also stays with me for several hours. The longer I wear Safari the more I repect this scent. If I had to give up all but one perfume, Safari would be left standing.

Safari is one of the Seven Wonders of the Perfume World.

imoore
imoore

There is nothing wrong with this perfume, but it is not a floral green scent.

There is enough musk and jasmin in it call it an oriental one.

Hi Kastehelmi,
I had a problem with it for a long time too, but now I really love it!! It is very classy and alluring!!
:-)

guest_Anne
guest_Anne

Can anyone confirm whether this has been discontinued or not please?? I had heard several times that it is no longer in production but it is still readily available to buy online and on Ralph Lauren's website so I'm a bit confused... Would be grateful for any help, thanks :)

Jacqueline
Jacqueline

what a wonderfull scent..didn't use it for years, but I'm in love again.
Not for everybody I guess.Classy,but it has to suite you.Dark but not heavy, difficult to describe this masterpiece.Still have a 30!! mililiter parfumebottle..silver top.The most adorable bottle I have...

perfumepromosince16
perfumepromosince16

miss this one and would like to reacquaint myself again....

geegee
geegee

One of my all time favourite perfumes is Safari, along side the now deceased D&G BY. Heaven forbid RL decide to quit making this perfume, i shall be buying a new bottle of this ASAP just in case they do the unforgivable.

This is a perfume that gels with your body chemistry & ive never smelt it the same on anyone. Each person seems to smell very different when wearing this, which i like. It makes it more personal to you.

Its a perfume for a confident lady who isnt a wallflower, it has great staying power & sure gets the right attention from other people.

Pure class in a beautiful cut glass bottle.

817flowers

I was concerned also about this being discontinued - so I just checked the Ralph Lauren website and it is still being sold. Look under "All Women's Fragrance" and you will find it. The price there is $60.00. I always see it every few months at Marshalls and TJ Maxx usually for $24.99 or less. This is definitely a wonderful fragrance.

guest_wildflower
guest_wildflower

I used to wear Safari. It has been discontinued and I don't know why. I see here some people are still finding it places. They must be old bottles. The dryness of the scent with the sandalwood blend was unbelievable in the summertime! I really wish Ralph Lauren would either bring this back or create a carbon copy of it. His new fragrances I do not find interesting at all! He got rid of the best perfume in his collection. Does anybody know why?

a.k.a.warum
a.k.a.warum

I like it. It reminds me of Lancome Climat, along the same green chyprelike lines. Climat is more feminine and romantic and Safari is more business like. It smells like sweet grasses and spices on me.

817flowers

Safari is quite special. Worth trying a second time if you are unsure of the scent. Also, when I have found it at Marshalls or TJ Maxx it is uusually in the men's deptartment by mistake. Guess the box does look more masculine than feminine.

There's an awful lot going on in Ralph Lauren SAFARI, which is probably why I still have about an ounce in my 2.5oz edp purchased aeons ago (in perfume time...). Unfortunately, I can't give a fair review here, because the opening is no longer fresh--something has turned, not sure what.

I do remember that I used to find SAFARI a bit overwhelming, but on occasion I liked diving into the fog of woods and resins and narcissus that envelop the wearer with this big sillage, somewhat intense perfume, which seems much less green than chypre to me, at least in retrospect. Not sure whether I'll buy a replacement, but I think that I might appreciate SAFARI much more today, now that chypre is a part of my vocabulary...

Although the juice inside is no longer wearable, I cannot bear to part with the bottle: it's too beautiful!

aromaminx
aromaminx

this fragrance is not at all pleasant on me. it is unfortunate because i usually like {and can wear} green florals with intense powdery drydowns.lovely shaped bottle that would look pretty on a bedside tablefor a lady who can wear it well.

efm
efm

This is my "default setting" perfume. Suits any weather, any time. It is warm and comforting. Not overly assertive - one of the safer green options. It is not exciting, rather safe. A good work option. Not as easy to find as it used to be. I would be disappointed to see it dropped by RL.This is not a show-stopper but sometimes subtlety is welcome.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

I would love to have this again but it seems to have been discontinued. The bottle is beautiful and the scent is classy, strong and classic, with no powder - a winner for me

bamboowu
bamboowu

I recently found safari again after many years away from it, and I must say that I loved it then, I love it now. It is a wonderful ultra unique floral with the most exquisite bottle...so classy...and yet almost sinful. It does start out a little sharp, but soon it becomes like a warm blanket, and wraps you with this soft wonderful scent. It is a most fresh, earthy wonderful unique fragrance. I think you'll love it too. Thanks RL

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

This is a real unique scent, not like anything else he has out or anything on the market. Its really nice but you either like it or hate it. Its a bit earthy smelling.

Malegria
Malegria

I tried it when it was first launched - my friend used to have every new perfume. Back then we both were a little bit young for Safari, but I remember liking it - bright, strong, charming.Usually I am not a big fan of powerful floral greens, especially with vetiver and moss in the base together - but Safari captured me with it`s great sincerity.It says right away - I am smart and self assured, and I know what I want and I won`t play games...I think you can easily wear it when you can say it about yourself.
I hope there will be no Safari this` and Safari thats, as it happened with Romance - Safari is so unique...in my opinion, the best of RL.I`d prefer it to stay the one and only.

giddalti
giddalti

First of all, scientifically, no such thing as "race" exists between Homo sapiens (humans). The term itself is incorrect and has come into use because of bigotry. I can send you an article concerning this widely misused term.

We all have different body chemistries and physical attributes. What I said had nothing to do with skin color or heritage (I'm not sure exactly what offended you), but about our body chemistry.

To say there is no difference between body chemistry would be like saying there is no difference between skin color (visual difference), or blood types (bio-chemical difference), or any of our physical and chemical attributes. My comment was based on chemistry, not skin color or heritage. People of different colors, chemistry, blood types (however you want to categorize bio-chemical differences between people) react differently to diseases, sun exposure, food allergies, and even the way a perfume smells on the skin. (It's not because of the color of the skin or the heritage; it's because of the bio-chemical makeup of each individual.)

I think it's fairly well documented that body chemistry can make a perfume smell pleasant on one person and unpleasant on another person. I was simply musing that perhaps it was because she was of African descent and I was of Caucasian descent (no other easily identifiable categorization came to mind at the time, or has since). I didn't know her blood type or the exact differences between our chemical makeups. If I had said that there may have been a difference between the way the perfume smelled on us because I was blood type O positive and she was AB negative, would that have offended you?

You seem a little sensitive about the "race" issue (a term I never use, except here to accommodate you). If you knew me at all, you never would have made the comment that you made, which was very pugilistic.

I apologize if I said anything to offend anyone. That was not my intent. I have friends of all colors, heritages and origins. I love the diversity of humanity.

"With great wisdom comes great peace, because nothing offends the wise of heart."

As Joy
As Joy

Safari is indeed an intriguing perfume. I smelled it years ago and was fascinated by it. I don't think RL has any other fragrances that are so original. This hasn't been available in the shops after I smelled it, and I would very much like to smell it again. It reminds me of the movie Amadeus, because I had just been watching the movie when I smelled Safari. Beautiful cap.

allexa27
allexa27

at the beggining i smell something very green and sharp,but the drydown is nice and powdery.

AmilkA
AmilkA

strange and suspicious at the beginning, but very addictive afterwards! A+!

I'm wearing it today after years of disregarding it. I met Safari many years ago for the first time on a man and I found it gorgeous. Then I tried it on myself and liked it but it was not so gorgeous. It's a very strange perfume, both green and floral but extremely rich and strong. i don't know what it has to do with a safari or even the ad. Maybe there was an intention to create a hot weather sensation and this could be true. Safari actually smells hot weather and like strange plants in the savana burned by the sun. I also smell chocolate in it. It's a nice scent, but for some reason I'm getting nervous at it today. There is something disturbing in it. Anyway it's a scent it is worthing to try.

CaraMia
CaraMia

An absolutely dazzling chypre, both green and floral and one of the best out there. Admittedly this is not a mild scent at first spray and it does not change into one after the top noted fade down. It is a bold brilliant concept with the use of an almost bitter marigold note in the opening (which I love).

As with any chypre, Safari delivers a lot of mossy green, earthy and cool especially whrn blended with vetiver and cedar. Overall a splendid composition by Dominique Ropion an d a favorite warm weather daytime scent for me. It is a womanly classic in a sea of girlish fruity florals!

parmania
parmania

And Safari is my favorite aromati.I had a miniature of the aircraft, together with 4 Other, but this fight all shleif traynost.Many want and would like to get more of it because it is amazing!

Millieqm
Millieqm

Good perfume, strong, not for everyday use, for special occasions,It is an evening fragrance. Not for every woman, due the strong smell. I have it, but I hardly use it, cause it's intense, but good though.

mmsmlzgud546
mmsmlzgud546

Safari is a stronger perfume, it has a definant musk. I really only notice the base notes. Alot of sandalwood, amber and patchouli. It gave me a headache but I thought it smelled very nice.

cognac
cognac

Didnt work for me .I found the smell staid and boring ,smelt more like a heavly fragranced soap.

Scent lover
Scent lover

I've tried this one and I found it just not right for me. I must admit that the scent is unique and different. Plenty of green and intense notes and for someone who can carry this perfume it can be signature perfume.

Tonya
Tonya

Not my liking.

guest_ljubica
guest_ljubica

I find it very dualistic - almost like two completely different perfumes struggling in the same bottle.
One of them is a soft floral abounding in opulent flowers, and the other one is something dark and heavy, smelling of crushed leaves and soil, presumably vetiver.
It needs some time to get used to it, and even then it lacks harmony on my skin.

Aiona
Aiona

Holey Moley! This is a powerhouse floral along the lines of Carolina Herrera by Carolina Herrera. With a (misleading) name like "Safari," I sprayed it on, thinking I'd be transported to Africa and be surrounded by wild elephants and lions. Instead, I ended up in an English castle garden, with loads of flowers dumped in my lap. I wanted to like it, as the bottle was so pretty, but I had to scrub it off within an hour of spraying it. (Very similar to what happened with Midnight Poison and me.)

KeLLStar
KeLLStar

This was an expensive present from my OH. Unfortunately it gave me a huge headache whenever I wore it, much too strong for me. I really really really tried to like it but couldn't - especially with the headaches. Not my scent.

takemyhusbandplz
takemyhusbandplz

All the Safari products have beautiful packaging. This is a lovely scent on other people. My mother-in-law smells absolutely divine in Safari and it's her signature scent. I cannot wear green florals very well.If I could Safari would be my first choice. As it is it's not for me.

Safari by Ralph Lauren 4.01 out of 5 based on 725 ratings and 150 user reviews

Ralph Lauren Safari Eau De Toilette Spray 125ml 4.2oz
Ralph Lauren Safari Eau De Toilette Spray 125ml 4.2oz
Ralph Lauren Safari Eau De Parfum Spray 75ml 2.5oz
Ralph Lauren Safari Eau De Parfum Spray 75ml 2.5oz

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Ralph Lauren Safari fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Ralph Lauren Safari, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Safari by Ralph Lauren. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Safari by Ralph Lauren represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.