Designers » R S » Chypre Floral « Groups

Tuxedo Ralph Lauren for women

Tuxedo Ralph Lauren for women
dislike

Tuxedo Ralph Lauren for women Pictures

Ralph Lauren Tuxedo was launched in 1979 as the evening fragrance of a true femme fatale. The composition opens with notes of bergamot, lemon, tarragon and ylang-ylang. The heart is a floral bouquet of jasmine, narcissus, rose, lily, gardenia, clove, coriander and peach. The base is composed of oak moss, labdanum, benzoin, amber, sandalwood, vetiver and musk.

Ben Kotyuk signs the bottle designs.

Ylang-Ylang Bergamot Amalfi Lemon Tarragon

Flambeau

Tuxedo Fragrance Reviews

Carefreekc
Carefreekc

I'm still heartbroken. If only the company that distributes/makes Ralph Lauren would read these posts. This was my go to perfume in my early 20's until my late 30's when I could no longer find it. I discovered this at a perfume counter when they launched.

It is classic, elegant, and sexy. Not too cloyingly sweet nor too overly musky. Perfect timeless sent - refined. Every single time I wore it I received compliments especially from men.

I think that at the time the Lauren fragrance which was so was very popular so the brand didn't get the notice on this lovely perfume. I kept finding it in back shelves for many years but now only a few bottles remain on Ebay and overly priced and probably rancid.

I did try a Shorrell knock-off but it was a bit too powdery smelling - slightly off.

It's wonderful to have a scent memory of this - too bad they don't relaunch. I agree with the above review about this - it would be a best seller - unless you like the sameness of many of the scents out today.. This is one of a kind.

The best I have found that gives me a similar feel is Bulgari Black - but it's more casual - doesn't have that same elegance of white gloves and satin gowns...

I think I'll try Long Lost Perfumes per the reviewer above. I am hoping someday someone will buy the formula and relaunch for the thousands of devotees out there..

moringadeva
moringadeva

Cricket, what a beautiful tribute to this scent! I am marveling that you had the insight to think back to that first date & the fragrance that your wife-to-be had not yet grown into & realize that now that she was a woman - magic could be afoot!
I love the scent too and happened upon a vintage bottle at a perfume store remembering 1984 when I first sniffed it & thought how womanly it was!

GIGI243
GIGI243

Tuxedo was given to me as a gift by my ex husband (nicest thing he ever did for me).
It quickly became my go to perfume when going out at night.I was only 25,and although the fragrance is strong when first applied,the chemistry with my skin is the best I've ever had with ANY perfume (and I collect!)
There's something about the way it makes me feel...sexy,strong,powerful.LOVE,LOVE this fragrance,Love how it lingers on my skin for at least three days after applied,love waking up in the morning and smell it in my sheets,it permeates everywhere!
When it was discontinued,I was distraught at the thought of never smelling it again,I could never understand WHY it was discontinued,maybe sales were not strong,but in those days,women were not as savvy and independent as now,I bet it would be a best seller if made again!
To make a long story short,I RAN to all the "Cosmetic Plus" stores and bought every single bottle they had left,yup,a little manic,,lol! End result is that I still have three full bottles saved,use it sparingly and if I find a used bottle anywhere I but it immediately,I should have enough to last me the rest of my life.Only other perfume I've found with the same or close intensity on my skin is Red Mmmina by Intercosma,fabulous musk,amber notes like velvet on your skin.

rosembloom
rosembloom

Cricket! I have always loved that indescriptible fume but you nailed it.. and with such loving intensity, such poetic prose born from love.. I am moved! Simply beautiful.. sorry guys, I had to! :D

Cricket_DOP
Cricket_DOP

Tuxedo Perfume

My wife was given scent this by her sister in 1985 by default I'm sure. It's a less than pleasant smell for a young girl. I'm sure her sister HATED it or she would have kept it for herself. Her sister's more of a taker than giver. Always has been. Always will be.

I came onto the scene when I met my wife that same year. She had just graduated from High School & she was the Queen of her little town and the most beautiful cheerleader they've ever had in that tiny town! She was an utter knock-out without the snobbery that almost always comes with it. A breath of fresh air in the midst of her loose knit clique.

On our first date, she had on this scent, but I thought was a little "old lady'ish." I didn't totally hate it, but I thought a girl of her beauty & stature needed something MUCH sweeter & not an older lady fragrance rejected by her big sister. I'm sure her big sis only bought it because of the beautiful bottle without much thought of the scent. Something to look nice on the dresser.

I turned around a month later & bought her Georgio, which all the women in my family enjoyed. Years later, I fell in love with the sweet scent of 'Happy' after taking in the aroma of a woman across the parking lot of a mall. I have always loved the sweet scents.

Flash forward to 2013. I asked my wife that I've now known for over 28 years, what happened to that old bottle of Tuxedo. I always loved the looks of that bottle. She said it was in her 'remember' box in storage. For some reason, maybe because I turned 50 & retired the same year, I got a little 'scentimental.' I drove over to the storage unit & found that old box that had both of our old letter jackets & other pieces of useless memorabilia that meant nothing to anyone but us. There it was. Wrapped so careful by my young bride that had decided retire this beautiful bottle & scent for a rainy day to remember. And, it was raining this day.

I held it in my hands like a school boy who just found a naughty picture & thought this deep dark black bottle with this little red Polo must have really been special to the designer. It's got to be THE MOST beautiful perfume/Cologn bottle ever made. It's opaqueness gives it a mystique that any man or woman would wonder just what's inside. A smoothness for not just any girl or woman, but for that person who has everything along with the charm of good looks, personality & an overwhelming way of brightening up any room she enters.

I shook but I felt no splash. Then I held my breath when I opened it. Then, & only then, was my mind magically melded back on that magic carpet ride to a time which I donned a flight suit for the next jet sortie in which half my mind was on the cockpit & the other on this perfect specimen of a lady.

I saw that there was just enough for one or two dabs so I quickly closed it, for it was not yet time for this quarter century old fragrance to escape.

When my wife arrived from work, I told her I had a surprise. I asked her to close her eyes because I had had a visit from an old friend. She smiled those beautiful lips in a way only she could, just for me. She closed her eyes just as I said "can you smell it" and laughed because of old tricks we used to play.

She opened her eyes to that beautiful contoured bottle & said "I thought you hated that scent." And then she said, "I never really liked that scent either, but my sister would have had her feelings hurt if I wouldn't have worn it."

I led her by the hand to the bedroom & dabbed just enough on her neck & a smidgen on her tummy to make her the smell of that 18 year old virgin I had met at the Officer's Club mixer. I have to say that I went wild & she followed suit. We both realized that our maturity had led to just this point in our lives that this scent was meant to be.

I soon learned that some of these fragrances are for work and some for adventure. But the special ones sport a pheromone aroma exclusive for play. And for the rest of our lives, this scent will be there just for us & no one else.

When I ascend the stairs, on our sleeping quarters route, I never have to ask, or worry myself about. I only use my nose, to know my lover's done her best, to make our loving wonderful, in this tropic island nest.

angelag1970
angelag1970

It was definitely marketed towards women and my mom had a bottle that she wore.. After she died I started wearing it for evenings out because her bottle had a very small amount. It's definitely a "masculine feminine" fragrance and to be quite honest with you I can't remember all of the notes but I remember how much I loved it. I agree it's very classy, and dark. I had been looking for it for a while after it ran out and wasn't able to find it (even on ebay). I ran across this site tonight and was looking at perfumes...so I decided to look it up. Can't believe it was showing listed on ebay and immediately bought a bottle. I'm SO excited for that box to come so I can smell it again.
This is one they NEVER should have discontinued.

Received it today and I'm as in love as ever. I put it on several hours ago and I've been enjoying smelling myself. At first I got no floral at all, now it's drying down to a very slight floral but still masculine (in a dangerous sexy way). My boyfriend loves it.

ArtzGirl
ArtzGirl

This was an AWESOME fragrance! It had a distinctive tobacco base that really smelled divine; very elegant, sophisticated, classic.

This had a smell very similar to Black Vetiver Cafe' by Jo Malone... but wore much longer. It was really superb! I miss it and wish that they would bring this back!

Do you know of ANYTHING in this same family?

The closest thing that I have found is possibly First, but it does not have the depth or tobacco base that Tuxedo had.

Yes, I remember Tuxedo. Totally a classy, sophisticated & liberated time capsule of a perfume. Ralph Lauren must have been touched by magic when here made Tuxedo (as well as Lauren). Ralph if you're out there, I know you've moved on to bigger & better things, but it would be so nice if you could grace us with the "ORIGINAL" Tuxedo on the market once again.

This teaches us one thing for sure about perfume of today, if you happen to discover something that smells amazing that you can't imagine living without, don't take it for granted, buy a backup, & another backup or two, or three or four, because you never know when it will become a long lost perfume.

Until then, let's not drive ourselves crazy over what's dead and gone, there are still a world of live perfumes waiting to become our next beloved favorites. Happy Hunting.

weegee
weegee

Tuxedo was indeed marketed as a fragrance for women when it was introduced in 1979. Remember, this was the era when Charlie was introduced (1973) with (I believe) Cheryl Tiegs wearing a pantsuit in the ads, something that was quite a new deal at the time... In fact, at my public high school in upstate New York, girls were strictly forbidden to wear pants and one very, very cold winter saw us holding a protest by all wearing pants to school one day when temperatures in the early morning when we'd wait at the bus stop had plunged to below zero. We prevailed and were allowed to wear pants from that day forward.

Tuxedo was an oakmoss wonder, very deep, dark and even a bit "chewy" in the way that only fragrances with lots of patchouli are now. Labdanum, ylang ylang and clove also played prominent and very noticeable roles. I used to walk through a department store on my way home from work and spritz myself royally from the tester before breaking down and finally buying one of those marvelous black bottles.

A couple of years ago I was lucky enough to purchase a couple of 4oz bottles of Long Long Perfume's recreation (from the original formula) when they were closing out their stock. It is identical and I treasure every drop. The juice is very dark and the aura created is one of a comfortable orchestra seat in a beautiful old theatre as the lights go down and the curtain begins to rise. Simply marvelous!

krmarich
krmarich

I must be crazy or dreaming but I had a small bottle of Tuxedo and I was sure it was marketed for men. I used to wear it in the early 80s as a dressy alternative to Polo. It was in a sleek black bottle, like Lauren and was very elegant.

The notes above are easily unisex, leaning more towards men. I doubt that RL would have launched a ladies fragrance so soon after Lauren. It was several paces beyond Chaps. After all is said and done, it is sadly long forgotten.

Does anyone else remember this one?

cheermom140
cheermom140

I loved this perfume and wish it hadn't been discontinued.

Cubby
Cubby

Just bought this from Long Lost Perfumes. It brought back so many wonderful memories. The Original Tuxedo is gone (far too short-lived), but LLP has done quite well duplicating it. I immediately received a compliment on the first day I wore it.

Tuxedo by Ralph Lauren 4.80 out of 5 based on 37 ratings and 12 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Ralph Lauren Tuxedo fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Ralph Lauren Tuxedo, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Tuxedo by Ralph Lauren. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Tuxedo by Ralph Lauren represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.