Designers » R S » Oriental Woody « Groups

Umbra Ramon Monegal for women and men

Umbra Ramon Monegal for women and men
dislike

Umbra Ramon Monegal for women and men Pictures Umbra Ramon Monegal for women and men Pictures Umbra Ramon Monegal for women and men Pictures Umbra Ramon Monegal for women and men Pictures

Umbra by Ramon Monegal is a Oriental Woody fragrance for women and men. The nose behind this fragrance is Ramon Monegal. The fragrance features haitian vetiver, serbian oakmoss, black pepper, bourbon geranium, canadian fir and tonka bean.

"Essence of the earth, capturing the bitter scent of Vetyver root, under the freshness of musk, the texture of Lichen and spruce balsam and that like a shadow define its soul and its perfume."

Haitian Vetiver Serbian Oakmoss Black Pepper Bourbon Geranium Canadian Fir Tonka Bean

Kenzo Homme Eau de Toilette Boisee

Umbra Fragrance Reviews

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Citrus opening on a weird, unsettling, metallic/ozonic base – same note I detected in at least other 3 Monegal's. Mentholated and calone-ish balsamic accents, something shady and organic like oak moss, soft musks, some flowers. Wax-like vetiver – which I never like, and I don't get why so many contemporary vetivers do have that awful glue-like smell. I like this more when the flowers kind of "morphs" into a nice accord of sweet and talcum notes, while the vetiver note becomes more rubbery and soft. This creates a sort of weird but interesting suede-like texture which I quite enjoy. Then again, a change; this all melts and slowly becomes almost a chypre accord with a balsamic breeze – yes, kind of Mitsouko realm here, respectfully talking. While overall I don't like Monegal that much, I must admit I quite enjoy this fragrance – the notes, the materials are bit "meh...", but still it has a nice and intriguing story to tell, with quite a lot of twists and surprises.

7,5/10

Poboijosh
Poboijosh

After sampling Umbra for quite some time now, this perfume has exponentially grown on me which ultimately led to a full flacon... I've never smelled or worn a Vetiver that's as incredibly soapy and fresh smelling as this one is. The Bourbon Geranium flower somehow makes the Haitian Vetiver accord soapy and wet, but it never takes away from the fact that you're still smelling and enjoying that smoky root, and the olfactory illusion that this creates is pencil shavings that are soaking in water that's been overly `soaped` with some form or another of bar soap, and what appears to be an almost exact olfactory copy of a bar of white Dove® soap. It's very, very nice smelling, and the Haitian Vetiver is almost on the cusp of smelling like Cedarwood, although that note does not exist here. The Black Pepper and Canadian Fir notes provide this awesome backdrop of spiciness and an almost sappy green and sticky nuance as if your sniffer was shoved directly into that noble evergreens bark that has crystallized sap on it's outer parts, and as much as I highly dislike Oakmoss, the Serbian kind here is blended extremely well providing just a light veil of earthiness, and the sweet Tonka Bean accord keeps everything from becoming too dried up and dark, but the key notes are Vetiver and that Geranium flower with the whole impression of this perfume being is a giant super sudsy and soapy, smoky pencil... wood, lead, eraser and all. It's extremely interesting and pleasurable, and I've never smelled another perfume that I can compare Umbra to. Overall, I am thoroughly impressed with this perfume! It's very classy and high quality smelling, soapy and fresh, earthy and reminds one of a bar of white Dove® soap mixed with wooden pencils, and as strange as that combo sounds, it works, and the end results are utterly fabulous... the longevity of Umbra is fantastic, easily in the 12+ hour range, and this juice has some seriously potent sillage for the first 4 hours with skin scent results not noticeable until around the 10 hour mark, so ultimately, this Spanish perfume house that's named Ramon Monegal produces some pretty descent perfumes. The flacons are super cool and are reminiscent of pen ink wells, but these juices are a tad pricey at $180 US for 50ml, but the performance and olfactory pleasure is definitely here in this particular perfume, so in my opinion, I firmly believe that Umbra is worth the asking price...

bcray82
bcray82

Think white crisp shirt and a navy suit, yellow tie in April.This this clean upbeat well rounded fragrance. Reminds me of Moschino Uomo but a little more softer powdery undertones. You could save 130 bucks and get the Moschino, unless you want a to spend a little more for something more refined. I see this more as a day scent. Definitely clean and is not loud.

bananas
bananas

I wanted to purchase an expensive high quality fragrance FROM Spain, to remind me of my travels through this amazing country last year whilst I was there.

Stumbled across this wonderful parfumery boutique in San Sebastien stocking all the beautiful & special niche fragrance houses I have seen & read about in magazines & this site.
UMBRA by Mr Monegal was my choice & it is sublime.

Unisex in nature. Not cloying, sweet, floral or sickly. The cool 'dampness' & wet but summery feel of this scent reminds me of the coastal walk between Getaria & Zaragoza, 2 quaint, postcard perfect, Northern coastal towns of Basque Spain.

The warmth & summery vibe of the sea & blue blue sky with the sun beating down on one side….the moist coolness & relief of the abundant, green, almost tropical, luscious hilly growth on the other side.

This is what UMBRA conjures up for me when I wear it now….back here in Australia.
Lush & happy travel memories…...

jhitt793
jhitt793

A brilliant vetiver scent, with a quite beautifully done balsam note. The inclusion of black pepper and geranium leaves pick up the spiciness of the vetiver, and add balance to the musky tree moss. The overall accord is one of an earthy dryness mixed with a verdant vegetal quality. Conjures up images of a moss laden forest just before dusk. (61)

esteban747
esteban747

Geranium and spicy pepper.
Masculine and fresh.
The Canadian fir is fabulous, it gives to this composition a little note of Pino Silvestre in a remastered and modernized way.
This is the type of fragrance that most houses would associate with the outdoors, mountains, lakes, etc.
Nice, masculine.
I'm not crazy about it, even though I think it's a great scent. It doesn't feel too daring or innovative.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

My nose is not picking up any vetiver whatsoever in this. It seems like a top-heavy geranium/tonka mix, with a dash of pepper. I expected more from the notes. It sits very close to my skin and the longevity is poor, less than an hour. After testing the gutsy Mon Cuir from the same house earlier in the day, I must say I feel let down by this perfume. It is lacking in oomph.

Thanks to Rosecat for the opportunity to try this.

takeitupthenose
takeitupthenose

This is amazing. The vetiver is green and sharp very similar to Sycamore in my opinion. However, the tonka contrasts with it giving it a spicy-sweetness and the gernaium adds an herbal/sharpness...it is all supported by a mossy vibe and which is giving it a classic feel very nicely done and a perfect signature scent for the mature and refined. I like Agar but find it too similar to other ouds on the market..this one is quite unique with what it offers.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

This is the most beautiful vetiver ever. It does not over-power. All the ingredients mesh and the drydown is restrained- I agree with alfaron As a woman I will wear this andlove it. The drydown is spicy and green with a bit of woodiness, too, which is guess is the oakmoss. Such beautiful balance. I am a huge fan of Monegal perfumes. Amazing. Perfect vetiver concerto. Showcasing the main event but not letting it take over the whole ensemble. Gorgeous chords- the perfect note ultimately. An evening fragrance I would say. Perfect for an evening with a bit of spicy food or something substantial like lamb with red wine. Hmmm.

Umbra is a dry, kinda sweet-balmy, woody-mossy vetiver. A solid rosy-geranium plays a central role providing both fresh and old-school facet. Kinda soapy. To be completely honest, it actually opens with a modern accord of green fresh vetiver and pepper to then quickly evolve into a sweeter woody-mossy balsamic drydown that's definitely more old-fashioned.

Interesting if you like restrained mascluine fragrances. Turns great on a woman...

Rating: 6.5-7/10

Umbra by Ramon Monegal 4.00 out of 5 based on 44 ratings and 10 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Ramon Monegal Umbra fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Ramon Monegal Umbra, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Umbra by Ramon Monegal. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Umbra by Ramon Monegal represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.