Designers » R S » Oriental Floral « Groups

Josephine Rance 1795 for women

Josephine Rance 1795 for women
dislike

Josephine by Rance 1795 is a Floral Woody Musk fragrance for women. The nose behind this fragrance is Jeanne Sandra Rance. Top notes are orris, black currant, galbanum, violet leaf, cloves and white peach; middle notes are jasmine, hiacynth and ylang-ylang; base notes are amber, sandalwood, bourbon vanilla and white musk. Josephine was launched in 2005.

Jasmine Hyacinth Ylang-Ylang Bergamot Hawthorn Rose Lilac Peony

iris Geranium Galbanum Clove Peach Violet Leaf Black Currant

Musk Sandalwood Amber Vanille Ebony Wood

Josephine Fragrance Reviews

mylancome

Have to admit this is one weir perfume. When spray and smell in the air or smell on the tester strip, it's wonderful like Lancome Miracle. But when smell on my skin, it's a little bit sour.

freshcultureshock
freshcultureshock

I get confused wearing this scent. It smells so good when I am not smelling it nose to wrist, but once I smell it nose to wrist it is just sooo sour! I hope to the dry down is more powdery.

TheBritishEccentric
TheBritishEccentric

I adore this beautiful perfume, enough to say that without exception every time I wear it I get positive comments mostly from men! I was standing in a queue the other day and a man behind me asked me what that 'delicious' fragrance was, well that's good enough for me lol! Femininity personified, soft and dreamy and wonderfully long lasting. If you are a romantic at heart this one is for you.

Is this supposed to be a reconstructed formula from two centuries ago? Well, in some ways, Rancé 1795 JOSEPHINE seems very similar to Lalique FLORA BELLA, which was also coincidentally launched in 2005. I find the Rancé somewhat fruitier and tarter, although it is still not very sweet. There is definitely a similar texture to the eccentric floral bouquet here, and I imagine that this composition could be more appealing to those who find the Lalique too floral. I myself find JOSEPHINE a bit sour around the edges, so it may not be working well on my skin.

The somewhat woody drydown of JOSEPHINE harks back again to Donna Karan GOLD (which I consider to be a close neighbor in some ways to FLORA BELLA), with an ever-so-slight feeling of pencil shavings lying underneath everything at the bottom. The overall composition is quite complex, and for that reason it is bound to play out very differently to different noses, given variable sensitivities to all of the various components present. There is an interesting array of flowers here, including hawthorne, and together they produce a sort of emergent floral note which doesn't really smell specifically like any of its constituent parts.

Definitely worth a sniff, but also a try before you buy.

mylancome

It's sad Josephine doesn't match with my skin chemistry. It's the brand best seller, but after I spray on, my skin EATs up most of the aroma. The perfume is on the skin, I just can't smell it on my left inner elbow, I have Pauline on my right inner elbow.

Pauline develops well with my skin, the sweet aroma of violet grow stronger, while Josephine turns sour, then turns into soapy, then vanilla, then peppermint, like the aroma of my German medical toothpaste.

I have to let go Josephine and choose Pauline.

Update: It's like a high quality girly perfume smells very similiar to Lancome Miracle. Way better perfume cause made from good quality natural ingresients and no artificial color.

valarian
valarian

I find it hard to match the name of Josephine with something quite so subtle. In my head I had built up a picture of something rich and opulent I suppose in modern terms * more diva like*.

This is pleasant and ladylike during the top and middle notes but during dry down it starts to get a little powdery which I love with the Lilac and Peony it has a very pretty ending and I can at the end just pick up a very light and subtle musk note that rounds it off nicely.

I would always reach for this for any elegant occasion somehow it just fits.

Lorenna
Lorenna

It's adorable.So longlasting,so pure and feminine, very classy...I only had a sample of this, i would like so badly to have the whole bottle...Josephine was one lucky girl :)

Josephine is such a polite and ladylike perfume, so sweet and charming, reminiscent of my little bottle of Arpege (parfum). It's warm and refreshingly crisp all at once. It opens with a gush of spicy florals and peach.

The powdery heart is the part I adore and wish it lasted much longer; it's woody and musky with a touch of something sweet & fruity.

The drydown is soft with hints of vanilla and sandalwood, yet the perfume retains a crisp green note throughout its development, possibly from the hyacinth.

I wore this on a rainy day, and that's when I really fell in love with it. It created a beautiful cloud around me while I drove around in my muggy car. The musk seems to really come out in the rain and make this perfume very cozy and soft.

Grazia
Grazia

Francois Rance dedicated this perfume to the woman most loved by Napoleon - his wife Empress Josephine.
"That recreation of the real fragrance Josephine, which has claimed more than two hundred years. Though, this recreation in fact captivates the smell of the modern lady who likes to use floral and sweet fragrances in their daily routine life. Some ingredients of the terrific Rancé Josephine are ylang¸ jasmine floras. Others are hyacinth, musk and violet leaves."
"Joséphine for women has been released in its original formula. The notes are May rose, hawthorn, jasmine, ylang ylang, hyacinth, iris, blackcurrant, white peach, cloves, galbanum, violet leaves, ebony, sandalwood, white musk, Bourbon vanilla and ambergris."
"The house eventually devoted all its efforts to making perfume and soon became the court favorite of the Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte, who commissioned two special and exclusive fragrances for himself and Empress Joséphine to wear. The oils for these fragrances languished in the storehouse of the firm after the end of Napoleon’s reign, but a few years ago the current owner rediscovered them and the decision was made to release them, thus making available for the first time two perfumes worn only by the Emperor and his Empress; no one else was allowed to experience them back in the day. This was a wonderful gift to perfume lovers everywhere from a company that is still owned by the original family."
From internet sources, Donna Hathaway
"When they (Rance 1795) launched their most important creation in 200 years, they chose The Perfume House over every other location in the world to launch the fragrances named Le Vanquer Napoleon and Josephine. Before his coronation in 1804, Napoleon approached master perfumer Francois Rance and commissioned him to make two scents, one for himself and one for Josephine. The perfumes were designed so that if Napoleon and Josephine were in the same room, her scent would dominate, but if the two came together, the two perfumes would merge to create a whole new unique fragrance. Napoleon made a rule for the perfume to not be released for 200 years after the coronation. In 2004 the house of Rance launched these two perfumes." The Perfume House

so nice!!! Here is a complex elegant feminine fragrance which is both floral and warm, very little powdery. I think it is better to try it on skin before buying because it seems one of those scents that change according to chemistry. On me it smells fresh and peppery for the first 5 minutes. No peppery notes are listed. Maybe it is cloves effect. I smell no galbanum, at least not the strong galbanum note that it is so strong and herbal in some other fragrances. Then it turns to a warm luscious carnation floral with a very faint candied edge. It's not strong and radiant, it stays quite close to the skin and smell like a cosy elegant lady. It lasts quite a long time.

a bit vintage
a bit vintage

Upon first spritz of Josephine I felt the cloves and ylang-ylang to be quite bold, and there's something a bit sour. I do have to say that the personality of Josephine really does change in the dry-down. I was pleased with the way this fragrance becomes so soft and feminine. I'm just not sure this fragrance is for me since I dislike the opening, and I'm too impatient for it to settle into that subtle powdery whisper.

juliana6909
juliana6909

This is the best ever perfume I came across.I slowly felt in love with it, discovering different tones of it every time I smelt it, develops slowly on your skin very gentle, feminine and sophisticated. Not heavy, not too flowery but makes you aware you are wearing it. Exceptionally sensual in it's unique way creating warm full feeling. Not aggresive or common in any way. Fantastic formula you can not put an age to it, it will suit from young woman to late middle age without being too posh and heavy. That one might be a winner for me for a long, long time!

guest_Kiki
guest_Kiki

i found this parfume in London and fell in love with it right away.. it's so elegant and tre chic...

Aiona
Aiona

Violet leaf! This is probably what makes this slightly boozy, fruity-floral bearable to me! The violet leaf gives it a nice green flavor, but definitely there's flowers, like jasmine and fruit like tart peaches. The notes above say "sandalwood" is in there, but I'm not really feeling the woody aspect of this one. Feminine, but is it really something Napoleon's lover would have worn?

Mitsouko
Mitsouko

It's very noble and femine perfume. No noisy, but subtle, however, about very expressive, aristocratic personalities. It enclosing me wonderful, very subtle poudre. This is womanly elixir. I love it and I respect; what, this is perfume of Napoleon's wife...

I love this perfume...so feminine and different..sweet going on but fades to a nice blend

Josephine by Rance 1795 3.84 out of 5 based on 85 ratings and 16 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Rance 1795 Josephine fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Rance 1795 Josephine, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Josephine by Rance 1795. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Josephine by Rance 1795 represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.