Designers » R S » Oriental Fougere « Groups

Jade East Regency Cosmetics for men

Jade East Regency Cosmetics for men
dislike

Jade East by Regency Cosmetics is a Oriental Fougere fragrance for men. Jade East was launched in 1964. The fragrance features spices, musk, vanilla, citruses, cedar, woody notes and green notes.

Spices Musk Vanilla Citruses Cedar Woody Notes Green Notes

Jade East Fragrance Reviews

SadieBluesLady
SadieBluesLady

There are two different versions of Jade East cologne being sold on Ebay - and the one with the altered label is NOT the one from Regency! It is from a company named (something like) Songhe and I agree that their labels are ugly!

In high school, while all my friends were wearing Chantilly and White Shoulders, my best bud and I wore Jade East. And didn't we think that we were rebels!

I am tempted to get a little bottle of the Regency cologne just to see what memories are triggered.

Update: I did buy a small bottle of the Regency cologne, and it does smell familiar but it isn't exactly the scent that I remember. This new stuff has a LOT more lime! The other notes are slowly coming out, but the shout of lime at the beginning is very overwhelming. It is unlikely that I would have worn this version when I was in high school, non-conformity or not.

rabbipinaud
rabbipinaud

What a disappointment. Lately I've enjoyed surrounding myself with those classic lovely old school, "barbershop" style fragrances. Canoe and Royal Copenhagen are current favorites. I decided to pick up a bottle of Jade East to continue this line of enjoyment. Unfortunately this stuff just isn't very good. The current formulaters of the juice, Regency have changed the classic label and box to give the impression of one of those awful scents one can find inn a dollar store. A cheesy looking tiger now adorns the box and label insead of the faux oriental lettering of the past. The bottle is cheap too. It's not aan actual fragrnace bottle but a standard industrial bottle with a plastic insert to create the dripping effect like you would find on a vinegar bottle. Now for the fragrace, weak, very weak, synthetic in a bad cheap way, no character at all. A complete waste of money as i had also purchased the matching aftershave with it . Skip this disappointing and unauthentic version of an old classic and pick up some Canoe, R.C., Clubman, British Sterling or Brut.

KajiraSuzanne
KajiraSuzanne

I LOVED the ORIGINAL Jade East, which was incredibly long-lasting, spicy, sweet, and creamy.
I have not smelled the new version, and am disappointed to hear that it has been reformulated and ruined.
If I ever buy more, it will be a vintage bottle, NOT the new stuff.
The original was great for both men and women.

mark.gordon
mark.gordon

fyi, i bought mine off ebay so no telling if i really got the right cologne that matched the bottle...

this smells like a milder, more complex. longer lasting Faberge Brut (the $5 cologne at walgreens). smells terrible. reminds me of a guy with psychiatric issues that i used to know. i think he wore brut... i figured i'd try it since the reviews were good... maybe it would smell better later, ... it did not... it started to smell piss after a few hours on my skin... gross... i had to take a shower... not a good thing to smell while you are eating...

karin.popovic
karin.popovic

it smells fantastic on my hubby, aromatic-fougère with such a smooth creaminess. very sexy !!! last the whole day long as well. he has the one in the new package so i can t tell how the older version was... but i like jade east from knowdays really a lot! i m not a fan of men wearing a harsh lemony spicy vintage cologne, and this one isn t at all! this is pure sensual masculinity.

stargazerluck@hotmail.com
stargazerluck@hotmail.com

I have been using Jade East since the sixties and my wife recently bought a bottle of after shave from a distributer on ebay. Well, the botlle has changed, and so has the packaging. But the real problem was that it does not smell like Jade East anymore! I was devastated. I figured it must be a fluke, or bad product, so, I ordered another bottle from another company online.....same results!
Why would a company like Regency Cosmetics change thier fragrance, and still tout it as vintage Jade East? I am perplexed, and dissapointed. I knew something was wrong with it as soon as I saw the box design. The advertised Item still pictures the older box with oriental writing on it so I figured it was the one. Now I have two bottles of this stuff I don't like, but more importantly, I have no hope of getting the original scent anymore unless I buy the vintage stuff for three times the price! Do I have any answers? Any recourse at all? It doesn't seem so because the people I have bought this from have no clue that it has been changed.....Stargazerluck@hotmail.com

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

I can see why this has so many detractors across fragrance forums. Jade East opens with a synthetic mix of lemon and orange zest, and rapidly dries into a sweet and powdery musk. There's a little lavender and spice in there, but it's very subdued. Although it reminds me of the laudable Pinaud Clubman aftershave-lotion, Jade East just smells cheap. You're better off with the Pinaud, Brut, Skin Bracer, or even Musk for Men by Coty.

johngreenink
johngreenink

I just got a bottle of Jade East through eBay. I'll confess that I was taken by the incredible packaging (what can I say, I adore anything emblazoned with faux-Chinese letters...) But seriously, for a vintage scent lover like myself, this was a big moment.

Jade East is a really good old-school 'aromatic fougère' - the lavender is right upfront, followed by a sweet and spicy coeur, and ending in an oaky powder. But I have to say, there is some mystery to this cologne... at once it's familiar (think of Pinaud-Clubman's aftershave, the stuff that the barber shops still use), but then it's also slightly exotic (the spices are hard to place - could it be clove or cardamon?)

Yes, like other scents from the '70's it can be overpowering (spray with caution). I kept waiting to smell that awful middle note that you'll often find with less-expensive scents, but it didn't appear.

If you're going to buy a budget-minded men's fougère-styled cologne, take a wiff of Jade East; I think you'd be surprised at how comfortable it feels on the skin.

rowdysunsetart@yahoo.com
rowdysunsetart@yahoo.com

I used to take my dads Jade East and got compliments on it constantly..miss having it..LOVE the smell..Dad wore it all the time...such a wonderful smell along with my other favorite..Tigress...

shamus1
shamus1

Don't even go near this unless you like old-school styled colognes from the 60s or 70s. Jade East is a very crude, loud fougere in the style of Brut, only cruder than Brut.

I love Jade East. All of its roughness comes during the first 15 minutes of top notes, which is a strong, piercing blast of lavender and synthetic citrus notes that can smell unpleasant and cheap. Luckily, the fragrance kicks into the drydown right after that, and that's where Jade East hits its stride.

Jade East has an awesome drydown. It's warm, smooth, rich, sweet, and very green smelling. The coumarin, amber and moss blend together beautifully and create a sort of hazy green herbal smell that goes on for hours and hours. This drydown is what makes me reach for Jade East in the morning.

Fans of old school barbershop fougeres should definitely check this out. It's a great blast from the past, from a time when men's colognes actually smelled manly.

MY RATING: 8/10

weegee
weegee

Oh, this one takes me back. Waaaaaay back! Suddenly it's the early 1960's and my father has shaved and dressed to go to work in the evening as our black and white television broadcasts Dr. Kildare, Ben Casey, Palladin and the Jackie Gleason Show (with the "sultry" June Taylor Dancers doing their funky Busby Berkeley numbers). Jade East is a slap of musk, a whiff of Granny Clampett's "vanilly", and a walk in the woods while drinking a vodka Screwdriver in a very large glass.

A perfume for "manly men" at a time when Old Spice and Aqua Velva were about the only games in town. James Bond books were just being made into movies and there seemed to be a connection between Jade East and those first Bond movies that made it OK for our All American, manly men dads to wear.

My brother and I would pool our coins to buy a bottle of Jade East for Papa for his birthday, Father's Day, etc. -- it really did seem like it was a BIG step up from Old Spice, which our grandfather wore!!

In later years after Papa had discovered Aramis, bottles of Jade East were still turning up in closets and under the sink and we'd splash it on the dogs after their baths. They were the best smelling daschunds in town, oh yes!

Thanks for the memories!

Jade East by Regency Cosmetics 3.84 out of 5 based on 20 ratings and 11 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Regency Cosmetics Jade East fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Regency Cosmetics Jade East, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Jade East by Regency Cosmetics. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Jade East by Regency Cosmetics represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.