Designers » R S » Floral Aldehyde « Groups

Charlie Revlon for women

Charlie Revlon for women
dislike

Charlie Revlon for women Videos Charlie Revlon for women Videos Charlie Revlon for women Videos Charlie Revlon for women Videos
Charlie Revlon for women Pictures Charlie Revlon for women Pictures Charlie Revlon for women Pictures Charlie Revlon for women Pictures

Charlie is the legendary Revlon perfume. Presented in 1973 as a floral – aldehyde fragrance, it opens with aromas of lemon blossom along with hyacinth and peach. Middle notes bring rose, orrisroot, lily-of-the-valley, cyclamen and carnation to the composition, while base notes include vanilla, sandalwood, oakmoss, musk and cedar. This perfume was the FiFi winner in 1974.

Hiacynth Jasmine Gardenia Galbanum Aldehydes

Jontue

Charlie Fragrance Reviews

heather62
heather62

I love Charlie. I will always have a bottle.

There is a lady at my work who sometimes pokes fun at me for wearing Charlie. Whatever. I know that this smell just makes me happy for some reason. It lingers on me all day. Yes, it's not a fancy, expensive scent. Who cares? It's perfect just like it is.

Layering is a cool idea to me but I'm careful to layer things that have a sameness to me. I like to wear Charlie with a bit of Joy. Sometimes I wear Charlie on my skin and Jovan Oud on my clothes (but that Oud does not stay with me - darn it).

Charlie is a perfect scent for anytime. It lifts me up. It has staying power. It doesn't break the bank. I hope they NEVER stop making this.

bonnie52
bonnie52

Charlie is like an old friend to me. I have been wearing it since it first came out (when I was 12 years old). I have always had it in my collection and always will. The original scent was much better, more earthy and stronger, but the new version isn't bad. It seems more floral/ powdery. It's a great fragrance for young and old alike. I have tried many of the different varieties of Charlie but none compare to the original.

valbona.bergman
valbona.bergman

on me smells like a dirty diaper

PurpleMyst
PurpleMyst

This is my Mom's signiture scent, she absolutely loves it and for good reason. It smells gorgeous on her. I don't think I would ever buy it for myself only because, to me, it's my Mom's.

quackadoodle
quackadoodle

For me, and I have no idea how old my bottle is... I suspect pretty darn old (the writing on the bottle is blue, but it is NOT Charlie Blue... and when you hold the spray down... it doesn't stop spraying. Got it in a lot that included Max Factor Hypnotique cologne and Prince Matchabelli Cachet cologne... and the version I have is a cologne)

ANYWAY... it starts off as a massive sandalwood bomb, which on my skin tends to smell like I just rolled in a catbox. If I can tolerate this for about an hour.. it is so pretty. Unique. The ONLY cologne spray that I have ever sprayed on myself that will last for about 12 hours, and change subtly during those long hours. It was clearly not made any time recently, with all the fruity florals+extrafruit that last an hour at best, if you're lucky.

It is... fun :)

matereac9
matereac9

stinks at first, but despite this, has been a staple of my collection since i started wearing perfume. i put it on a good hour or two before i'm due to go out, to let the oh-so-strong initial smell die down, but i'm glad i gave this a chance when i first tried it. it's heart and base notes are so warm and strong but not overpowering. suits my skin perfectly in the winter. i can't wear this is in summer. the heat makes it far too intense for me. a good classic, in the right conditions. don't let the strength of it put you off.

bronwen80
bronwen80

Big green explosion upon initial spray it then dries down to the most beautiful soft white flora that is undeniably beautiful!! So glad I took a chance on this perfume. I always wanted to try it but I was never allowed to have a bottle because it was deemed to be cheap and nasty by my mom and nan!! It's intoxicating !!

Amazon60
Amazon60

I never bought or owned this in the 70's Didn't have too, everyone was wearing it. I dislike this perfume intensely. Smelled like cat pee, just annoyingly awful to walk around high school and that smell was everywhere.l adore perfume and reading these reviews are helpful in working my collection up. I'm traumatized to this day perfume wise by Charlie.

HoneyBoots1
HoneyBoots1

My first perfume as a teen. It came in a little metal container shaped like an apple and was a salve like consistency. Perhaps it was on a necklace? I am sure that little apple shaped pot remained at my parents in my bedroom for twenty years the Vaseline like contents turning browner and crustier as time went on. But the scent lasted. Go Charlie!

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

One of my ALL TIME FAVORITES!!! Just went back to waring this again. If you buy the Vintage Cologne, it lasts FOREVER!!! If I had to explain how this smells, i really am at a loss for words. Just a slightly sweet woody perfume from the 70's. Its really a BEAUTY. Those who hate, do so, BUT I LOVE THIS PERFUME!!!!

aura2424
aura2424

had this ages ago.in fact charlie was my BFF in my twenties wore it all the time deo too.gradually lost its appeal as i grew older .does not mean i dislike it just that it belongs to a younger part of me .classics never go away ! always a part of fond memories ........

Bflopolska
Bflopolska

Classics are classics for a reason, as Charlie proves. I will admit I'm a latecomer to Charlie, having never tried it until about six years ago when a friend and I were messing around in a drugstore. I loved it on first spritz! There is something in it that reminds me of a fizzy, just-opened bottle of ginger ale--I swear it even tickles my nose a bit! Ginger ale and white flowers speckled with a bit of green, drying down into light aromatic wood, both sillage and longevity are outstanding. Its a very youthful and playful scent, one I go to if I need a little attitude adjustment. To my mind it is the best fragrance that can be found in a drugstore, and even holds its own against many department store competitors.

mad.kat.96
mad.kat.96

I wore this for years in my early 20s (20+ years ago) Recently I tried it again and it was way too much oak moss for me.. My tastes must have really changed, but I still have good memories... It had a high sillage and was very long lasting.

I love Charlie partly for nostalgic reasons - it was my first grown up perfume. But the other reason is because it's so heavy in my favorite note - oakmoss! I can understand why this has so many dislikes - it is powerful stuff, and if you are not a fan of this type of scent, the strength of this one can seem like an olfactory assault. In the TV ad, Shelley Hack applies two large sprays of Charlie to her neck as she enters a night club. Whoa! That amount of Charlie would evacuate the whole place. I find this scent most lovely when worn with some restraint. It is dry, woody, floral, a bit aldehydic, and steeped in hyacinth and oakmoss. It dries down to a woody powder, not being totally linear, but always retaining the Charlie scent. Like most scents, it has to work with your chemistry, and I'm happy this works for me. It is one of the rare scents that surprisingly illicits compliments from my husband, who is usually a vanilla-loving male. I have vintage Charlie in concentrated cologne. The oldest versions of Charlie use dark colored lettering on the bottle. The newer bottles use white lettering, like the picture shown here. I haven't smelled the current version but the Revlon website describes it as "fresh florals and amber spice". I don't experience it that way at all. Charlie Blue is the most similar flanker but not nearly as good as the original.

ckinsobe
ckinsobe

This was my signature scent when I was a teenager and early 20's. Just as my later favorite, Aramis' New West for her, it was a scent that always, always elicited compliments. To me, no matter how much you like a scent, that others notice and appreciate it makes that a scent one that works on your body chemistry.

Unlike with New West, with Charlie I definitely have a "Been there done that" feeling, which keeps me from trying it again. But never say never...perhaps one of these days I will go retro.

adair58
adair58

I never thought I'd try this one again, as I had it in the '70's and 80's, and frankly tired of it. Not that it wasn't nice, it was just EVERYWHERE. But time goes by and memories fade-so-I found it a an estate sale sitting all alone a vanity. I looked at it a couple of times and took the cap off to sniff. Unmistakeable! For a half dollar it was mine to keep. It's in really good condition, too. I tried it today and it's the same old Charlie. White florals, woods and carnations all the way, a little green and bitter at the top, slightly powdery drydown.

Mine may be reformulated, as it only lasts 3-4 hours without the enormous sillage of the past. (An improvement, I think) It's a keeper, though- I like it again!

Lornaluv
Lornaluv

My mother wore this some in the 70s and 80s.I remember her wanting to try this so much, then she got it for a gift from one of my older brothers.
She liked it quite a bit but it was not her signature, which was Windsong.

She gave me a little spray bottle of this when I was around 12 or 13, I think she bought a gift set on sale, keeping the big bottle for herself and sharing the little one with me.

It was very nice, but so much better on her that I eventualy gave it back to her so she could use it before it went bad. When I smell it on others it brings back many childhood memories.

naomin
naomin

This is another total "blech" on me. I got it as a hand-me down from a well-meaning relative when I was a child. To this day, the smell still makes me want to gag. Try before you buy, for sure. Good silage though for a scent that I don't really want to fill a room with, lol.

athenian
athenian

I won a huge 16 oz bottle on Ebay (I am not kidding) for $15.00. I am pretty sure it is the original 'Charlie'. People here write it smells like 'Chanel No 5'. Is it because of the aldehydes added to the reformulation(s)? To me it smells more like a greener Norell. Very similar also to Ted Lapidus' 'Creation'.

renestripling
renestripling

I have a bottle of early 90's era Charlie that was given to me by a friend. It has been in my collection for quite a while, overlooked and unloved. I confess I have been guilty of perfume snobbery, and thought it was just another cheap drug store spray.

Out of curiosity I decided to try it the other day, wanting something other than the Lolita Lempicka and Hypnose Senses that are my current go-to's but unwilling to make a new purchase when I have what is to me a sizable stash of 'fume. I settled on Charlie, and man, oh man, I have been missing out. It reminds me a lot of a younger, more playful version of Chanel No 5, and does not smell cheap to me in the slightest.

While it's definitely in the class of 'one spray will do you' for me upon the initial application, the sillage on me is not really remarkable, and lasts perhaps 3 hours tops. So I definitely have to reapply sometime during the day, something that puzzles me since it comes across so strong on first blush.

All in all, I really like Charlie, and I think it will make it's way into my regular rotation.

Deppaholic
Deppaholic

That model was Shelly Hack, not Farrah Fawcett. She was in the shaving cream commercial with Joe Namath, for shaving cream if memory serves me correct. I loved Charlie back in the day! Although Shelly Hack did play one year I believe in Charlie's Angels. Farrah was only there one season. RIP Farrah.

lister
lister

I smelled it first time few years ago at my friends birthday.His grandma was wearing it, i noticed this scent as soon as i walked in to the house...so rich,thick,sweet and strong ,it smelled so familiar and lovely,that i ignored the thought that it is some cheap old fashion cologne.She told me - it's CHARLIE! I ordered a bottle the next day.
I don't wear it,I just look at the bottle,it's like golden honey in a bottle,thick and sweet,cheap but so good,that you can't resist it....I spray it on my hand just to enjoy the magical cascade or notes,i believe it's my early childhood memories,when i could smell and enjoyed the smell,but was too young to understand that it's a lady,that is wearing CHARLIE,one of the most popular scents of that era.

Shtefitza
Shtefitza

I remember my first time seeing the commercial for Charlie! Was it Farrah Fawcet? Some long legged brunette, crossing a busy street, wearing white pants! I was like... "Wh.. what?! What is that?" Car sommercial? Stop light ad? :D White pants advertisment?! Whatever it was trying to sell, I did not care, I wanted to be that woman!! And I was wonderin why a male name was printed across the tv screen?!
My mom at that time wore pants, nothing unusual for me. She wore french perfumes, I came across Charlie only years later ... When I first tried it - the surprise was tremenodous! Not only I remembered the ad so vividly, I specifically recalled this fragrance as something "modern women of my childhood wore" without knowing this was C. I guess brilliant ad went along with brilliant scent! Good job Revlon!!

magickmaven
magickmaven

Like so many in my generation I grew up with this fragrance around me. It was never one my own mother wore, not her style. But you couldn't be born in the 70s or 80s and not be aware of this iconic scent. I used to snag it from my sister and she's the one who taught me how to wear it.

I like it, I love it. EVEN though it gives me a headache. Go figure.

Once the initial aldehydic, kind of soapy smelling (headache inducing) note drys off this is a great scent. When I'm going to wear it I spray it on almost right after my bath or shower ritual of that morning. Gives time for the heart notes to begin to shine through. (Seriously, whatever is up with my body chem., perfumes don't seem to last as long on me.)

I tend to think of this more as an open space, outdoor scent. Works well into the evening. Jeans, slacks (it was the first perfume commercial to feature a woman wearing pants). Wear it when you want to be casual but noticed. And expect to not really like the scent on yourself while receiving compliments from friends and passersby. (Though I'm one who loves it on herself) I have worn it to church, one of the ladies was like "Oh my gosh! Are you wearing CHARLIE?! Where did you get it?" I wore it to the office yesterday and my boss loved it. It's an icon for a reason. And I do love my iconic scents.

It does remind me a little bit of Chanel No. 5, probably because of the aldehydes, but the differences are important and of course Charlie is the drug store, accessible to all brand. It's complex and beautiful, bold and not to be bothered with discretion.

In today's world where the trend is boring, single note perfumes, watered down... everything, with little or no character - Charlie is a stand out.

I'm editing this to say that after a week of using the perfume again regularly - no headache at all. I guess I established a good relationship with her and Charlie is now my best friend. Also, I can hardly stop sniffing myself. On my skin, where most perfumes go to die or fade into nothingness, she is NOT giving up the ghost. Worn to the park this past weekend I found myself standing up-wind of a man who was there walking his dog. He waved and said I must be wearing some kind of lovely perfume because there weren't enough flowers in bloom for it to be anything else! He laughed when I told him it was Charlie. Then he said he guessed good taste never really went out of style. Why do people laugh or act surprised about Charlie? I think I'm going to make it my mission to educate people about this perfume.

krmarich

I happened upon a half oz. perfume oil with the glass dabber. Its dark amber color promised a richness that I wasnt expecting for around $10. This is a thowback to the 1970s. I was unaware of how Revlon was such an important player in the perfume world. Charlie is legendary.

I was used to the familiar aldehydic spray the my aunt used so liberally. Ah, those Christmases that my Uncle Charlie faithfully produced a bottle for her through the 1970s. The bottles seemed to get weaker over the years. There are no aldehydes here. This is the original "magnum opus" from Revlon. This defies most catagories and has nuances of all. This pure perfume works real well on my skin, strangely enough.

This was the signature of a generation. I guess the baby boomers appreciated this the most. The "feminist" movement was just catching on and more and more women were entering the workforce. They could pick up a bottle of Charlie and get the attention they wanted. Its codename was "Cosmo". Womens lib anyone?

Oddly enough, as women are very important in the workforce today, the feminist spirit has faded. I feel that the battle is half won. Men still get paid more and the women do all of the work.

The perfume world was a lot different in 1973. You could get a bottle of Chanel no 5 for under $20. Charlie went for around $2.50. The composition is priceless today with peach, oakmoss, a heady floral bouquet that is tightly distilled and vanilla/sandalwood base that last for hours. It ranks right up there with its contemporaries Norell, Fidji and Rive Gauche as far as quality was concerned.

Its hard to imagine how flawless this was compared to its current exploitated nonsense with every color of the spectrum to follow it through the decades.

Celebrity=Gloria Steinem

karenrobert
karenrobert

who doesn't know this smell? everyone wore or know someone who wore Charlie in the 70's and 80's. People either hate it or love it. Those that love perfumes that pervade every corner of the room will gravitate toward this scent. Those that are migraine prone will run as fast as they can leaving their shoes and purses behind. It's so nostalgic bringing back fondest memories for many older women. Some people will say it's Granny perfume but I think when used sparingly, it can be a beautiful fragrant. When used to cover up body odor, this scent can knock you off your socks due to it's cloying heaviness, flowery overdose. Even plants and insects down the street won't be spared. I think the scent smells so much better after it dissipates in an hour. Instead of spraying directly onto the skin, you can mist it into the air and walk through it so the aldehyde scent won't kill your nose. I find it smells a lot better after I rinse my skin with a little bit of water after I spray it on. I never owned this perfumed but I have tested it because it was part my aunt's left over perfume collection that she has outgrown. It's definitely an interesting fragrant very different than all the fruity florals of today.

magesstudy
magesstudy

I just got "A Touch of Charlie" as part of a lot I got off ebay. It is definitely a flanker to this and seems to have some of the same notes, but isn't listed in any of my go-to fragrance databases. It is not the same as "Charlie Touch." I think it is slightly turned, but it still smells pretty good. Can anyone tell me more about it.

missdietcoke1
missdietcoke1

This perfume has a very special place in my heart - my mom's signature fragrance. Need I say more? Growing up this perfume meant comfort to me. I often stole it from her vanity table and hide it in my bed to sleep with it. (such as her creams and hairpins and lipstics, I would hide all that in my bed!). Growing up behind the iron curtain women of the 80's had not much choice when it came to perfumes. I was lucky my mom had the privilige to use Charlie and I was there to sniff on her soft and beautifully smelling skin day after day!
Until this day, it is her signature perfume, and I appreciate this beauty more and more every day. Every Mother's Day she gets her new supply from no other then her daughter - me!

AngelaChase
AngelaChase

You will never get as many complements on how good you smell wearing anything else! Every person who does not like “Charlie”, will always like it on someone else, always! Every time I wear this, I hear the same thing...“Oh my, you smell so good, what are you wearing?”. And then I hear the same answer after telling them it’s “Charlie”...”Really? It never smells that good on me”! The reason People don’t like “Charlie” at first is because we’re so use to people walking around in todays world wearing their “J-lo’s” and their “Britney Spears” or their “Pure Vanilla spray” from “The body shop” that we’re bombarded with the same smelling perfumes everyday and they all smell the same ..that when you wear something like "Charlie”, EVERYONE smells what you’re wearing and it always makes a person become strangely attracted to the scent, that they HAVE to know what you’re wearing because it’s such a different smell that stands out, and has an immediate attack on the senses because it’s so rare! The best thing is that it has not changed from day one...even big names like “Estee Lauder’s Beautiful” has changed and “CK’s Obsession”! All of the big names have changed their signature scents over the years to adapt to the times of todays scents, but “Charlie” has always stayed the same. It fills the room as you enter and people love it!
BIG TIP-When you try the sample perfume of Charlie at the store...DON’T! Hide the tester and tell a staff member you can not find the tester...they usually open a new box to be the new tester! That way, you can smell the real scent! Testers have been sitting out for years and have gone funky, so when you smell them, it’s always a toxic mix of floor cleaners and poisons ha ha ha! So please open a new box to smell any perfume, so that you really get to smell the true scent of a perfume like “Charlie”!
Even though "Charlie" is a toilette...it's a strong toilette, which is a good thing!
So for those with dry skin types, this can last up to 6 hours and for those with moist skin types, this can last up to 3 hours, maybe 4!

quintaesencia
quintaesencia

I confess that I did not wear Charlie back in the day, although I remember well its promotion and popularity. Instead I wore Estivalia by Puig, the Spanish equivalent of Charlie and now sadly discontinued. Last summer I tried a 3.4 oz. bottle of EDT with a dented cap and a $6.99 sticker price, just for fun - what a pleasant surprise! While it doesn't smell at all like my old favorite, it provides that same blast of woody/floral freshness mixed with sophisticated aldehydes. My new signature scent and a worthy replacement for the old one. I think Charlie has appeal for women of all ages.

snowbunny007
snowbunny007

There are several negative reviews on here about Charlie. I think this is one of the more mis-understood fragrances that are out there. Charlie was and still is one of those perfumes that never tried to win hearts, and that was the whole point.

It was introduced during a time when women were really beginning to make the effort to come into their own as hardworking and perfectly capable. The women who wear Charlie do not need the approval of others the concern superficiality, in order to feel good about themselves. Charlie is loaded with alhehydes, masculine and feminine florals, woods, powder, metallic elements, and all those nasties that give high marks to self-assurance.

It doesn't try to win you over by smelling like the dessert line at the local country kitchen. It doesn't seek your approval by smelling like some niche concoction with a bazillion, perfectly blended notes. It does not attempt to seduce you with a romantic, victorian garden of tuberose, gardenia, and the like. It doesn't have to. For Charlie, it's the fragrance that is being worn by a woman who doesn't give a hoot what you think about her...or her perfume. This woman wears it for herself, because she likes it, and that's all you need to know. If you suggest to a Charlie wearing woman at the office that her perfume is not your favorite, she will respond with, "Good for you. Now, where is that report I asked you for?" Something that women were not able to do prior to its' introduction. This fragrance was a milestone.

This fragrance is (to my nose) a powerful, slightly masculine, bright, edgy, green, aldehydic floral with a mineral and soft wood drydown. In my opinion, it smells like a green field of timothy hay, with one's nose to the ground, near the claybed. It is confidant and unique. It is a signature scent. It is not cheaply made. Every accord and note is included with purpose. I love it! And, for a fragrance that has such a bad reputation for stinkery...I certainly, as the sky is blue, recieve my fair share of compliments.

I don't know a woman who did not own a bottle of this by 1980. That has got to say something.

No, it's not accessible for the tender nosed. It does not smell like candy, pink flowers, babies, or sweet spices. It's an acquired taste, with a personality of its own. It is a challenging fragrance for many. But, if you ever liked it once, chances are you will like it forever. I know I do, and will continue to.

very heavy strong and long lasting. retro charlie is a stunner. everyone wore it and wore it well back in the day. this needs to be applied with a very light hand to enjoy this sweet aldehyde rich floral. i have great memories associated with this perfume.

Paisleyann
Paisleyann

This is not the same formula when I had a bottle in High School in the 80's. I purchased a new bottle this past Christmas for nostalgic sake, remembering I used to like Charlie back in the day. Granted, my body chemistry I'm sure has changed from 20+ years ago, but wow, this just turned bitter/sour on me. It doesn't even smell the same when sniffing the bottle. This use to have an initial strong blast of aldehyde but sweetened to a slighty warm sweet floral on the dry down. Now, its just bitter aldehyde through and through. I wont even use it for an air freshner-its that bad.

gabygol
gabygol

I can barely remember it, Was a gift from my mom when I turned 10, I was so excited that I brought it to school to show it to my friends, but one of the bully girls had one just like it. She lost it and whenever she saw mine she saw her chance to replace hers too. She accused me of steeling it, I denied it of course, but she was so mean that I ended up giving mine to her. I said to my mom I lost it and she got mad. Didn't buy a perfume again until my dad gave me my Red Door at 12; the greatest part of it is that any other girl of school dared to try it :)

mjc17601
mjc17601

I to remeber Charlie from my youth. It wasn't until the 1990s when I received a gift from a friend and it was Charlie. I wore the fragrance until the bottle was empty. Did I love it?? I have not own another. Since reading these post, I think I will purchase a small bottle to add to my collection. Chandler Burr is doing an interesting experiment that he discussed at a Sniffapalooza fling last year? Each month you may buy an untitled perfume and and test the scent. It is unbias, without the marketing and hyper. It is fun and not too expensive.
I love finding unique and older fragrances and love perfume. For me it is a learning experience and I am learning to appreciate a fragrance as the fragrance it is. Fragrance is an art. How I am able to combine my subjective and objective impression on fragrances is challenging and is something I am having fun learning .

MatheusPresotto
MatheusPresotto

Charlie is a cheap perfume, but that has its own history and quality.
I had to buy to try it because I knew his story and needed to know the smell of the 70s, the feminist revolution.
For me charlie opens with a punch in the nose of aldehydic notes, moss and a little peach, shortly after Jacinto who shines is with its nuances combined with the green moss that is present from beginning to end. Disappear when the aldehydes, the fragrance becomes charming, for those who like the style and floral chipres Anais Anais, which shares some characteristics with charlie (Green, floral, moss, civet).
In charlie I can feel Animalic also a nuance that I acrdito that comes from the catheter.
It is a scent that is worth trying, expect the first 15 minutes of its evolution, for you to give your final verdict on the scent.
I liked it a lot. If you did not like charlie, try it co conbina other fragrances low setting, after charlie sticks to the skin and is almost impossible to remove it. I tried with Chanel No5 edt charlie was great and it goes well and also Anais Anais and Cabochard.
Aroma: 8/10
Sillage: 7/10
Fixation: 10/10

BettyNoir
BettyNoir

I bought this recently and i would like to first of all say that I am no perfume snob and adore drugstore classics.

However, after one spray I knew I would never wear this and rushed to wash it off. It's overwhelmingly strong, and sorry, I have to say it, it smelled cheap and nasty.

perfume has really evolved since the seventies and what people loved then, they might not like now. This was astringent, overly floral- (WAAYY too many flowers jostling for space) and then was very woody AND mossy AND musky on top of all that and, as always when you don't like a scent, was very long lasting! About as subtle as a smack in the face with a bottle of pound store Cologne.

Don't get me wrong, as I said, I love a perfume bargain and I am a firm believer that perfume needn't be expensive to smell good, but this was a howler on me!

arxsyn
arxsyn

This is my first proper introduction to perfume. In the mid nineties i was a little girl and at a fair Revlon was doing a marketing push as they handed out carded vials of some version of this eau. I am not sure which edition maybe the red. I just know the jus is a rich golden yellow

I remember timidly dabbing it only once on the inside of my wrist. I was fond of the scent it was heady, sweetish, feminine most grown up thing. I was more happy in sniffing the vial and surrounding card, it was that strong to me.

I also remember on that day i had these sample lipstick minis my teenaged cousins gave me. With Charlie on hand i had no need or desire to paint my lips red. I instead drew with the lippies instead like they were crayons on oversized white paper :-)

I would love to smell Charlie again but i personally have not seen it for the longest time in stores. Oh well

sally.west1
sally.west1

"Can I smell your Charlie" was an infamous "chat up" line used by boys in the 1970's and I have to say that I don't know anyone in their 50's now who didn't own a bottle of this iconic perfume back in the 1970's. I loved the ad with Shelley Hack and the "androgynous" name and wore this a lot together with my other 70's gems - "Chique", "Just Musk" and "Tramp"! I still have a small bottle in my perfume cabinet which I've had for about 15 years - I don't wear it much nowadays as I think I'm too old for this particular scent, but I still like to sniff it occasionally to whisk me back in time.

VanillaTabbyCat1963

This fragrance has morphed into a hyacinth soliflore, through which aldehydes amplify the freshness of cut grass. Very beautiful and, yes expensive smelling casual scent. Great if you like a fresh, clean smelling scent that lasts. I give it a 5 star rating.

Alexandre

It's a '70s classic, but remains timeless in my opinion. After all, perfume is not dependent on age and personality ... yes I love the notes of aldehydes, reminds me at times to Anais Anais by Cacharel ... Very intense, fixed so spectacular ... In its launch year won the FIFI Awards, the "Oscar" of the fragrance ... Try before you buy ...

Shadow_Witch
Shadow_Witch

I have worn vintage Charlie for nearly my entire life and I wear it well. It's very femme and always the right fragrance to wear whether I'm dressing up or down. Appropriate for work and hits the right notes for evening as well. When I was much younger, Charlie made me feel older and more sophisticated. Now that I'm a little older, it makes me feel free, confident, and sophisticated. I love the packaging and a little goes a long way. I get my fix on eBay and it never disappoints. I must assert that the current formulation is not bad -just less intense. The new formula is a little lighter on the base notes. Brighter. But the 'feeling' is all there. I always receive compliments when I wear Charlie. Men, women (often surprised at what it is I am wearing), children, etc. "A most original fragrance." Indeed.

erilika
erilika

I really like Charlie.

It's so easy to wear and I think it lifts my spirit. The smell is a bit dry and spicy (carnation?), sweet, but it doesn't feel heavy.

With such an affordable price, Charlie beats quite a few perfumes anytime.

VanillaTabbyCat1963

I was upset to find on a perfume site, for that matter that Charlie, an iconic fragrance any way you look at it, is being described as cheap, drugstore grade fragrance. So I went in the opposite direction, but still came up short of writing about the juice itself.
I am pretty sure Charlie hasn't changed at all since it's release, yet over time my interpretation of this fragrance has, significantly. I used to experience a very dry burst of aldehydes at the opening. Next I would recognize an equally dry and powerful grass, very much like the sharp green scent of a freshly mowed lawn. An equally dry spiky carnation continues the sensation of a Southern California August kind of green.
I wonder if my sense of smell has continued to develop, because aldehydes aside, Charlie has gotten sweeter to my nose over the years and presently I'm experiencing it as one of the most beautiful delicate florals. I'm smelling a variety of flowers, but non I can name yet in particular. I'm still getting those grassy notes, but now it's as if I'm in a meadow on a warm spring day. Instead of the aldehydes cooling the mix like in Chanel #5, it's effect is warm, like a warm breeze, like the sun. I have been wearing this for the last couple of days, and it stays sweet, green and fresh. I mixed it with Chanel#5, which was pretty, but dare I say that if I had to choose, I like this better!!!

VanillaTabbyCat1963

I just have to say I HATE THE SNOBBERY behind the idea some have that a perfume isn't to be bothered with if is sold at K-Mart and other bargain stores. All perfume has it's personal history of its relationship with it's admirers and then the very different tale of business decisions and outcomes controlled by money and fate. Charlie is a prime example. Charlie was my very first adult perfume when I was 11 back in 1974. It's release was one of the biggest media blitzes of 1974. This fragrance was heavily promoted in the cosmetic floor in first rate department stores. I was so estatic when my mother bought me a great big bottle during a fun outing to Boston. It was a reassuring condolence for my recent and difficult move over the threshold into puberty. Although I dutifully wore my Charlie off and on, I never understood what the heck I was wearing. My tastes ran with Love's Babysoft Lemon Cologne, easy for a 'tween to relate to.
Fastforward to today. Revlon, although a quality brand will probably continue to be found at CVS and Rite Aid, and the biggest bottle of Charlie today can often be had for ten dollars, Charlie is a beautiful aldehydic floral, a classic example of a very trend-on fragrance of the time.

larali
larali

Sniffed it, did not hate it-- but darn, it did evoke the image of a country line dance bar in my head!

Siant
Siant

This was my first ever 'grown up' perfume, which I bought for myself in my late teens.
Everybody in those days was wearing either Charlie or Tweed, when we went out there must have been an impenetrable zone of those perfumes around us!
I moved on to L'Air du Temps then Rive Gauche as I grew up... Which many of you have suggested as comparisons.
I think I might create myself a history of my life in perfumes!

CheyenneaRae
CheyenneaRae

I never smelled Charlie but my mom use to wear Charlie and Jontue and Candid perfume all the time. It might smell good because she has good taste in perfumes and the accords on the perfume sound good. I am looking forward of buying some sometime.

preemiepower
preemiepower

I graduated from high school in 1974 and Charlie was the perfume we all wore. It brings back wonderful memories of that time long ago, and I still have some. Don't think I would wear it now though.

Iva Vendetta
Iva Vendetta

Charlie used to make me sad as my former brother in law had a girlfriend who wore it back in 74. He broke up with her in most cowardly way. Tears.

I found a bottle in the closet today I'd forgotten and about and I agree with jennifer60656 as to the emotive qualities when women were exploring all they could and there was a certain cachet to it all.

It is a perfect scent summer or winter. Fresh, green, slightly spiced, "jazzy" is the word that comes to mind.

My new/old find again. On to conquer the world!

jjlm8
jjlm8

CHARLIE. Ok perfume but who could forget the commercial. Snappy little song ending with Shelley Hack, in her pre "Charlie"s Angels" days tossing her hat. No wonder we all flocked to by it!

millie32
millie32

In the early 70s when women was into feminist movement and the workforce . Revlon introduced Charlie .The very famous commercial with the beautiful model dressed in a tuxedo ,sent a message to the modern women .Back then,my mother was crazy about the deep musky fragrance with woodsy undertones and strong carnation scent.I still remember that scent !But my last trip to the Pharmacy store for a whiff of Charlie, brought me much displeasure to my nose.I don't know , but it smelled very much like fake synthetic air fresher!

sharyssa
sharyssa

my daughter had a bunch of these charlie fragrances small ones this one and charlie white and red I think idk but they were all stinky they are probably still somewhere around in one of her old purses or something I just don't like these kmart/walmart fragrances some I have never tried but these charlies ughh no thanks!

rosembloom
rosembloom

I saw a 100 ml. bottle on special yesterday and though I own one already, I had to get a backup. Intemporelle beauté et féminité... ( timeless beauty and femininity) is what it is all about to me. I wore this 10 years ago but no matter how often i smell it, it still ravishes me in this lovely old-school way. It is ever so surprising how many compliments this perfume gets when I wear it: longevity is awesome, composition is classic and brilliant, the sillage is quite impressive too... Charlie,(like s.o. said) goes with my L'air Du Temps, Fidgi and other classic collection that never go out of style. Loves it!

waine
waine

OMG, I remember growing up with girls wearing this in the seventies - eighties! LOL.

mamasgotguns
mamasgotguns

I owe this review to my knowledgeable perfume friend.

I cannot speak to longevity, but this smells exactly like Quelquel Fleurs Original, which sells at Neimen Marcus for over $100. Thanks to my very knowledgable perfume friend, I learned that Quelquel Fleurs used to sell in France at the drugstore for a very low price, like Charlie.

Things that make you say hmmm....

Charlie is a surprisingly very nice floral, especially if you turn your snob meter off. I am not a floral lover, but I am going to give this a whirl the next time I see it because I am certain those of you who like or love Quelquel Fleurs could perhaps be wearing the Charlie of France, at a much higher price tag:)

jennifer60656
jennifer60656

Just a quick question first: How is this an aldehyde when no aldehydes are listed? Inquiring minds want to know.

I didn't think I would like Charlie. I got a bottle as a gift probably 15 years ago and it's been kicking around in a closet. I decided to give it a try. I really, really like this stuff a lot! I think the reason I do like it so much better than before is that now I can appreciate different notes and fragrance concepts better.

When I first tried it on I got such a fabulous green fizzy scent - oh how cool! I love the carnation green-ness of it.

The first impression I got of Charlie was of women in the 70s who wore long dresses, made fondues and spinach dip,dabbled in tarot cards, and grew houseplants and did macrame. The sort of suburban housewife and mom who also had adult friends with whom they talked about adult things, like they read the Joy of Sex and Fear of Flying. Women who questioned what it meant to be a woman. I think of the old film, Season of the Witch - the woman in that movie would definitely wear Charlie.

Having said that, is the fragrance dated? You betcha! Is that a bad thing? Not a chance and I think that is the beauty of fragrance - like capturing time and space in a bottle; being able to put yourself wherever and whenever you'd like to be while still being able to author your own here and now.

twillocks
twillocks

OMG we had a client come in our office this morning and I went sniffing her out! Absolutely smelled wonderful on her. CRAZY I wanted to stay up front and smell her all day.

MaggieKat
MaggieKat

This was my first ever perfume, my dad gave it to me when I was about 12 or 13. I loved it then. But this bottle doesn't smell anything like what I remember. Faulty memory? very possibly. But I dont hate it.

romrom
romrom

My mom gave me her half enpty bottle when I about 11, I really loved it at the time and I think I made everyone around me sick because how much I spashed it on myself. I wouldn't use it now but I do have a small and very old bottle just because of the memories attached to it.

Lushylori
Lushylori

My mothers favorite Perfume.
I will always cherish this scent because of my mom

persianbeauty
persianbeauty

My mother used to wear this perfume in the 80s and it always smelled so good on her. It smelled very expensive and she got compliments all the time. These days the perfume is very watered down and does not last more than 30 mins. Such a shame... because it had become my mom's signature fragrance!

JoieDeVivre
JoieDeVivre

I received the original Charlie perfume in a beautiful crystal bottle with a crystal stopper, not like is pictured above, sometime in the 70's. It was a gift from a young boy that had a crush on me. I was so impressed with the gift. I felt very grown up and chic.

In the bottle it smelled powdery and delicious. On my skin, in no short-order, it became "uh, who let one?" or lingering cat pee. And, it had tenacious staying power. Either way, as much as I tried, and I did try, it never worked out for me. I don't really understand why, because some of the fragrances I love today, have those very same notes. I guess the combination is just lethal for me.

By the way, the love with the young boy never blossomed either.

Alexandre

É um clássico dos anos 70, porém continua atemporal em minha opinião. Afinal, perfume não depende de idade e sim de personalidade... Eu adoro as notas de aldeídos, me remete em alguns momentos muito Anais Anais da Cacharel ... Muito intenso, fixa de forma espetácular... No seu ano de lançamento ganhou o FIFI Awards, o "Oscar" da perfumaria...Experimente antes de comprar...

gazelle
gazelle

I gave away my Charlie Blue but kept my Charlie Red. Blue was such a blast of fragrance and it refused to calm down as the day wore on. Maybe some young lady has adopted it. I can still hear Bobby Short singing the song introducing..."there's a new girl in town, and her name is Charlie..." IMO it should be worn by someone with youthful energy unless they immediately label it as "old l..y'

PávelHenry
PávelHenry

To my nose, it has much similarities with Mackie- Bob Mackie.

That sharp and shampooing/ balm smell, maybe cus a excess of aldehydes, that makes it leaves a burnt and cristalline trace in the air.

My mother use to wear Charlie and Byzance, and when she is out of home, I love to spray it in the hall to disperse "her" smell throughout the house.

Sometimes, Charlie resembles to Giórgio. Give me the same sensation, tho Giórgio hasn't the animalic smell, that note that makes Charlie seems old.

However, this similarities is not enough to put it in "This perfume reminds me of..." cus I know, as always, nobody will agree.

ION
ION

"Charlie"?
My English language professor used to wear this perfume.
I entered the building and I could almost smell it from the stairs below!

Of course it is a fantastic perfume, of course the other Charlies don't share a fraction of its magic and of course it was/is shockingly cheap!
If you can find it, you may as well buy it in abundance, wear it day in/day out, and don't bother reading perfume reviews here or anywhere else for the rest of your lifetime. :-)

krmarich

Charlie was a turning point of the perfume industry. In 1973, when it was introduced for about $3. a bottle, all women had to try it! It was a floral aldehyde obviously inspired by Chanel No 5. Sassy, full of quality ingredients and commercially appealing. It was a "women lib" signature.

The flankers to endlessly follow it never really matched its original beauty. I sampled some last year and yes, its still Charlie-stretched out as far as it can go on a chemical frame.

derkargy
derkargy

A trademark of the 70's.I still remember my mum wearing it.Charlie was a modern perfume(and extremely cheap)

Mandana
Mandana

Back in 1975 my best friend wore "Charlie" at school, growing up in New Jersey, and it smelled wonderful on her. I got a bottle too for my graduation. "Charlie" (strange unisex name for a feminine fragrance) was a modern bright and confident young woman's fragrance, much ahead of its time, and I think it would be still lovely to wear today. I dont get the rich woody notes, just a wonderful accord of lovely flowers balanced by ... cedar ? and something else undefinable. I cant pick out the lily-of-the valley note but it must be there! Strangely, I dont find "Charlie" dated at all, but I have some great memories of it; whenever I smell it, I think back to travelling to the high school parties in New York, wearing flared white jeans, cropped waistcoats and flicking back my long blonde curled hair LOL and hanging about the diners sucking on a thick chocolate shake, feeling so grown-up and ultra cool! Charlie is simply a classic! The sillage - needless to say - lasts for ages! In those days you could smell "Charlie" a mile away. Wearing it made me feel confident, happy and energetic!
I feel this was the 1970's young version of "Eternity"; I realise that they are not really comparable but both fragrances are bold and energetic but to me, "Charlie" is warm, sexy, "loud" and appealing in a way that "Eternity" is not. But probably "Charlie" is like "Eternity's" kid sister!

smartypants1562000
smartypants1562000

I wore this scent a lot in the 80's. Havent tried it since then.

ujhb
ujhb

A family friend had given this perfume to me as a christmas gift. I never knew at the time that Revlon made perfumes, so I was excited to try it. I was 14-15 years old and I thought it smelled ok. It isn't expensive and you can tell by the scent that it isn't. It's one of "those" perfumes you have just in case you run out of what you really like and you haven't done your laundry and you need to spritz something on fast. blah.

madhatter1
madhatter1

I agree with F_A. Great classic, never forgotten. My dad gave this perfume and lotion set for my birthday many years ago. Ive never opened it to keep it as a keepsake in memory of my dearly departed father who shares the perfumes name.

takeasniff
takeasniff

I have the Charlie perfumes but this one I just cannot use it more than one day at a time. It smells like harsh hairspray and a little dusty at the same time. I have Charlie White which I know some people think smells like dusty flowers but Charlie Blue I think smells that way. I have the lotion and perfume. My husband got it for me in a set when were in the Chemist Warehouse. I find sometimes if you wear the lotion it softens an otherwise harsh perfume but with this one it just stays very sharp. It smells like a pine forest to me. I will continue to use it because I do like sharp perfumes and it is a classic but it is not a safe one to buy without sniffing. A lot of people who are only used to todays perfumes will think it is very dated and too harsh. If you are like me and have worn all the older perfumes you may warm to it easier. I don't know I am very undecided with it. It does last a long time.

Stacey923

My mom wore this when I was young and it always seemed like a chemical odor to me, gave me a headache. I received it once as a gift and gave it to mom. I have not smelled this in years, I would like to try it now. Isn't it odd how our tastes change and how we may detect different fragrance notes as we age?

vetiver
vetiver

I got a bottle of Charlie some months ago, i wanted to remember past times... i am amazed.

Nowadays most perfumes smell generic fruity candy ...soft inoffensive florals...eau de cologne citrics...we struggle to find good sillage and good lasting power. Of course there are exceptions!!

Charlie, even being such a cheap drugstore fragrance has a great sillage and lasting power. It is a pleasant floral aldehyd with a strong hyacinth and carnation notes, with a very nice musky drydown. Call it old lady if you want. But to be honest i wish most perfumes i have (that are a lot more expensive) had this great quality.

Anyway...i enjoy it..i will dab on a little bit before going to bed :)

geekweevil
geekweevil

One whiff of this and i was transported back to my Auntie's house in the 70s with the red shagpile carpet, thirsty orange curtains, and a matching painting of orange horses.

Plus. Bay City Rollers. Tartan 3/4 flared pants. Just no.

Who knew, my cousins must have worn it. How strong is scent memory, I'd forgotten that carpet!
I seriously never want to go to that place again - I put the bottle down and ran away whimpering.

Which was a pity cause I'd probably have bought it, I really like sourcing and owning drugstore classics. I ended up with Charlie Red instead.

thobbit
thobbit

The original vintage 1970's hip Charlie is a wonderfully complex oriental floral. The original formulation does not contain aldehydes in it's composition which leaves me wondering why the 'floral aldehydes' olfactory group classification?? It's also very difficult to blame a 'blast of offensive aldehydes' for disliking a perfume when none exists in the composition, LOL.
Now Charlie Blue, the reformulated cheapened sister of the classic 70's hip original is a linear mess. So possibly there is an assumption that both are one and the same perfume which could not be farther from the truth, and such a shame. The original formulation is a bold and beautifully complex jus with an oakmoss, cedar, musk finish that is wrist or neck sniffing wonderfulness. The challenge is in finding a bottle of the original vintage formulation of Charlie especially when both are in a blue box that looks almost identical except for the word "Blue" on the reformulated version.

Edit: Osmoz.com has this fragrance in the Oriental Floral Olfactory Group. This makes more sense to me than the Floral Aldehyde classification on Fragrantica. Below are Osmoz's descriptions of both groups.

Floral Aldehyde: Animal, powdery or slightly woody notes often enhance the floral bouquet. The top note is a marriage of aldehydes and hesperidia. This sub-family came into existence with the creation of Chanel n°5, the first floral-aldehydic perfume with an unusually high amount of aldehydes.

Oriental Floral: Traditional oriental base composed of sweet, powdery elements, accompanied by an exotic floral note such as tiare flower or 'spicy' flowers such as carnation.

Fragrantica's loose interpretation of olfactory groups and habit of bouncing fragrances around from one group to another without explanation has been very frustrating.

AjaBlue
AjaBlue

Floral aldehydes just really work with my skin chemistry and this one is no different. I have loved Charlie since I was a child first opening up to the world of scent and how fascinating it can be. Charlie has seemed to follow me throughout my adult life--whether it is a relative or a colleague, someone always seems to have it on and of course, I always notice it...and tell them how much I love what they are wearing, never surprised when they say, "It's Charlie." So, why am I so surprised that EVERY time I where this one, someone...at least one person tells me I smell great and asks me what it is I'm wearing? Clean, woody, powdery floral. Sparkling. Will always be part of my collection, but have to be in the mood for it. Enjoyed during the colder seasons, for sure.

elegantpasha
elegantpasha

my Nonna (grandmother), loves this fragance, its her signature scent :D brings back memories of the good old days ;)

cisco
cisco

I was looking through what I do not wear and spotted a vintage splash of Charlie that came with a vintage box lot. Well, it smells good and I suspect it will last. It strikes me more as being an oriental than anything else. I am trying to make room for everything but cannot give up this vintage Charlie.

What is the difference between this Charlie and the Charlie bleu? Does anyone know?

MrLenny
MrLenny

Well everyone, I being a Gentleman wear this Charlie Esu de Cologne an a daily basis, and you know it's FABULOUS on me ! It's very much a " Unisex " Fragrance...to me at least and I see NO problem with a Man wearing Charlie, why not, not only is it CALLED " Charlie " but it's aroma is rather Masculine and smokey, warm and inviting....Give it a try, I think it's great, and SO WHAT if it's cheap, God dammit, it's a Fragrance, not a " Car " so spending less don't mean it's a bad thing, and trust me, I wear some of the very, very BEST in Fragrances and I know good stuff, this Charlie, it is, just not as expensive as Guerlain ( Whom I LOVE ) so, stop bitching and buy it and enjoy, that's all....

maiker
maiker

I really love Charlie, is so strong, nice, powdery and at the same time, unique... never smell a perfume like this,,, love you

judeaqua
judeaqua

its an old classic scent that's a warm, powdery floral, bitter and sweet and develops nicely once u spray it on.

somewhat reminds me of dark amber coloured classic edition of Chloe by Chloe and Vanderbilt by Gloria Vanderbilt.

greengrl
greengrl

I've developed a love-hate relationship with this fragrance over the years. There are some days where I can't stand it; the aldehydes stand out & I get a very synthetic smell. Then there are days when the florals shine through. I've learn to like this when I layer it with a lighter scent like my violet splash or my Egyptian musk oil. It is definitely a classic and still very popular since I've noticed women still wearing it. Its an affordable fragrance with great sillage.

guest_pepito
guest_pepito

you know guys first i used charlie....my world become flesh,a little bit naughty i swear you love me....ha..ha... you know guys again all of user of charlie is intelligent...and smart

that's all thanks more power

Nicole79
Nicole79

I had this when i was a teenager, actually , my mother had it, and we used to use it also...
Hmmm...nice, strong, feminine.
I used to like it back then, now not anymore , too dated.
I don't find it similar to Chanel n 5 ...actually Charlie remindes me a bit of Rive Gauche YSL...less the metalic note that Rive has...
I know this might sounds crazy but as soon as i tried Rive Gauche , remembered Charlie blu...;)....
A classic...i still find it here in the perfumery shops !!!:)

I'll submit a review for Chaz here, which is a men's fragrance, because there is no listing for it:

I have the vintage Revlon formulation. The opening is crude and "synthetic," which I've now learned to ignore with these older fragrances. Give it time, and it settles very nicely. Some have compared it to Zino, but I find Zino to be more complex and cruder. Zino also has a tobacco note that is missing here. Chaz seems to be a "woody/amber," but it's smoother than others with this kind of base. I'd describe it as a creamy woody/amber. Other than that, I'd guess there is some leather or suede, patchouli, spice, and perhaps an herbal element. It is not musky, and the wood note is much less powerful and wearable than the modern cedar notes so common in recent "men's" fragrances. I was surprised at how mellow this is, in fact, though I would advise against smelling it up close on the skin. It's one of those fragrances that needs to mix with air before it gets to you nose. Longevity is at least very good and projection/"sillage" is good. I don't spray much so it might have much stronger sillage is you spray 4 or 5 times per wearing. I don't find this too "old school" for those not used to such fragrances, but only spray once on your first wearing!

sunshineandroses
sunshineandroses

My sister liked Charlie when it first came out in the 70s. My father would tell her she smelled like cat pee. I have never much cared for it myself, it had a sharpness to it.

I didn't like it as a child, as it seemed too brash and harsh. Trying it now as an adult, it doesn't seem as loud, but it still isnt' something I like. It goes on like soap and Arpege. After a few minutes I can identify the soap as Camay, which I do like, and the tarry-sticky aldehydes of Arpege which I am undecided on. I think it's the carnation, peach and aldehydes together that suggest that dark, black edge, and in Arpege, it's part of the mystery. Here, with the soapy notes, it's just sort of a jumble. It doesn't offend me in small doses, but it doesn't wear well on me either, and I had to scrub it off in the end. Dated and strong, and the modern formulation dries down dusty and cheap smelling.

spookyjan
spookyjan

i really like this fragrance,i also wore it when i was a young girl in the 70s,as we all did.now i am older an a friend bought me it foe christmas,i still like it,but as oppose to wearing it when young for a night out.now it would be worn as a casual fragrance around the house,many other better perfumes to wear,for my nights out.

ShorTea
ShorTea

Actually very pleasant perfume, I got it after Christmas, just a small bottle on clearance and am enjoying it for the price, its basenotes are pleasant. I almost wish it took a little longer for the fragrance to develop all the way from beginning to end,perhaps today is too warm for this fragrance,it bloomed so quickly for me. I can't say I understand the difference between "cheap" and expensive perfumes, I must be too new to this.

guest_Cristiane
guest_Cristiane

esse perfume faz-me lembrar da minha adolescencia! eu adorava usar! tive varios vidros desse perfume!! vi em alguns comentarios acima dizendo que ele tem cheiro de perfume barato! nw acho! pra mim ele é único! e sinto saudades de sua fragância!! me traz ótimas e doces recordações!!

camillia
camillia

For me, this is a naughty relative of Anais Anais. Equally strong in projection, but less bothered with elegance, this scent picks up from where Anais Anais leaves: in a whiff of powdered incense over hyacinths and carnations.
From there the scent amplifies with citric fruit peel and peach skin.
Very zesty. For the young and invincible.
The fragrance melts down to a synthetic resin note, quintessentially my
memory of Charlie.

Lady Love
Lady Love

Many people talk about Charlie and i can't believe this fragrance was a FiFi winner. For me Charlie is like the poor unglamorous cousin of Chanel N5.

Please revlon working womans deserved a better fragrance! This doesn't even have own identity..

Cheap perfumes shouldn't smell horrible..

efm
efm

Thank you Tala.

Your mention of Carnation prompts me to try this again after many years. I love carnation notes.

I use Caron Bellodgia and Floris Malmaison even though both have to be bought online from international sites, and are expensive and not always available.
I can pick up Charlie at the local pharmacy.
As a sidelight, given the restrictions of fluid one can take on aircraft, the Revlon pocket size perfumes are very handy.

Juma
Juma

I9ve got it when i was sixteen and it was with me when I was in love at first time, at my first relationships and at many other situations :) Nice memories...

frenkuzumu
frenkuzumu

The spirit of my childhood...My mother used this perfume for long years. Then I found this perfume in Germany!I surprised beacuse I haven't seen this bottle for 15-20 years. I bought one bottle in the memory of old nice days. The message of this perfume is clear for me "I'm a mature woman also have motherly soul"

milena
milena

I had this perfume when I was a teenager.I was sixteen and thought wow I must have this and loved it very much.It smelled very nice on me and I received a lot of compliments. But from what I can remember the only drawback was too much gave me a headache, it was a strong perfume. Eventually I got tired of it and gave it away.This is looking back in 1980.

Jinalda
Jinalda

I remember this perfume from my childhood days - my mother used it. I thought it was a perfume only for an adult lady not for teens, it smells classic, strong with some sweet and bitter notes in the same time. I don't remember any disturbance caused by this fragrance, but quite opposite - I was very curious about it, but always hesitated to try it, because it's smell was very obvious and you just can't hide it. So my mother would guessed that I borrowed her bottle.))

RouenFr
RouenFr

I never liked this scent. I had an Aunt that would wear this scent sometimes. Sadly I think this scent smells cheap and very strong.

poppy_vanderbilt
poppy_vanderbilt

I wasn't even born yet when this came out...I have tried it though..not a big fan of the frag but what i want to know is why don't we see great perfume songs anymore like Charlie or windsong "i can't seem to forget you..your windsong stays on my mind"...and what about Enjoli?..."I can bring home the bacon...da..da..da..da..fry it up in a pan"...i would love it if someone would bring back perfume tunes...even if i didn't like the frag i would still buy it...just because.

PS Thank you for that old commercial!

SophieIowa
SophieIowa

Watching that first video above makes me want to be a ''Charlie girl''! Looks so fun. Unfortuneately, the actual scent of this is very strong and harsh. I'm sure it was great in it's time, but now, it smells like a very outdated chypre. Floral peach with a strong, STRONG aldehyde overtone. This is not a scent for today's young teen. You'll need to try this one before you buy.. I think most people who buy this now purchase for nostalgic reasons, not because they like the scent and want to wear it everyday.

lilinah
lilinah

I never liked "Charlie". I was in my early 20s when it came out and it was clearly being marketed to women around my age. I tested it but never bought it. I like some inexpensive perfumes, but Charlie always smelled bad and chemically and, well, cheap to me on anyone wearing it.

newsitian
newsitian

My mother use to wear this scent because my father's name was Charlie. I saw it in a drug store a few year's back and bought a bottle on a lark. I get GREAT complements every time I wear it. Something about it mixes well with my body chemistry. I usually wear Halston, Chanel 5, Fidgi, and L'Air du Temps and I never hear anything. Put on Charlie and everybody loves me.

sky76sky
sky76sky

An evil little perfume if ever there was....words cannot describe it! & to market it for teens - what were they thinking...Chanel No5 for teens??! This has put me off aldehyde-rich scents for a long time. Totally fake. YUK!

junior halston
junior halston

I just could not picture a teen age girl in this day and age wearing this fragrance. Good gosh if you make your teen/pre teen wear this they will have no social life.

The scent is very dated to the early 1070's with it aldehyde and powdery floral woods.

This scent reminds me of the dinosaurs who's time has come and gone - Sorry Charlie!

Tala
Tala

I don't know why but to me it is really similar to L'air de temps by Nina Ricci.
Sweet floral, not for every body but if someone can carry carnations it would be a dream scent. Carnation is that spicy powdery note which some people seem to complain about in perfumes.
Charlie is confident and bold. There is no lightness about it. It exudes confidence but there is something innocent about it as well.

Chatnoir
Chatnoir

The original, and best "Charlie". Charlie "Blue", which is what is supposed to be the new version of the original is a bit paler version of this lively, seamless scent. An underrated classic.

Manuella
Manuella

Great for a teenager.
I had it !
It is a great scent for a young girl.

perryforever
perryforever

UGH - bought for me as a teen. Hate it hate it hate it. Cheap and disgusting!

Lolly007
Lolly007

Ich habe diesen Duft geliebt. Blumig - aber doch irgendwie speziell.
Leider gibt es das EdT in Deutschland nicht mehr zu kaufen.

I have loved this smell. Florid - but anyhow especially.
Unfortunately, there is not the EdT in Germany any more to shop.

Deedz
Deedz

I got this as a Christmas gift when I was pre-teen and used it as a weapon of stink against my brothers. I think if I tried it again I might enjoy it because of the memories attached to it. I only remember how strong it was.

F_A
F_A

Strong, heavy, rich, woody and dusty fragrance with nice flowery top notes.

Stacey923

Growing up my mom used to wear this. To me (at that time) it smelled like dime store drool, one step up from Jean Nate.
Now that I am older I would give it another sniff.

winx61
winx61

Che bei ricordi questo profumo... una cascata di fiori.. dopo tanti anni è ancora uno dei miei preferiti.

Charlie by Revlon 2.83 out of 5 based on 424 ratings and 117 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Revlon Charlie fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Revlon Charlie, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Charlie by Revlon. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Charlie by Revlon represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.