Designers » R S » Chypre Floral « Groups

Intimate Revlon for women

Intimate Revlon for women
dislike

Intimate Revlon for women Pictures Intimate Revlon for women Pictures Intimate Revlon for women Pictures

Intimate by Revlon was launched in 1955 as a distinctly sexy floral - animalistic chypre fragrance. It opens with crystalline notes of aldehydes, bergamot, rose, coriander and gardenia, leading to the sensual heart of jasmine, iris root, sandalwood, cedar and patchouli and the wild base of castoreum, civet, musk, amber and oak moss.

Gardenia Coriander Bergamot Rose Aldehydes

Jasmine Sandalwood Patchouli Virginia Cedar Orris Root

Musk oak moss Amber Castoreum Civetta

Miss Dior

Intimate Fragrance Reviews

bonnie52
bonnie52

Oh my goodness! I had all but forgotten about Intimate until I saw it on here! Then the scent came rushing back to me! Oh, how I loved it! I haven't worn it in many years but I am going on a hunt to find it now! It's a wonderful, sexy, fresh scent and I want more : )
It only took about 10 minutes and I ordered a bottle from a seller on Etsy…PSYCHED! I ordered this and was a little nervous how it would smell since it hasn't been made in MANY years. Well, at first i was disappointed because that old perfume smell was there when I first put it on. About 10 minutes later though, the fragrance I so fondly remember came through! I am a happy camper ; )

Jojo12
Jojo12

I have been wearing Intimate - off and on - for over 30 years. I try others but come back to this, as when I wear it I get compliments. It must really suit my skin chemistry. I have a fair skin which is dry and sensitive, I get allergic to certain soaps, probably as a result of being born a redhead, as it is well-known that 'copper-tops' have skins that react easily to things.

I am retired now but the compliments still roll in. The ingredients which I like are the gardenia, jasmine and sandalwood, cedar wood, and oak moss. I find perfumes with these in smell good on me, but of all of them Intimate is the best.

I find many of the modern perfumes don't suit at all as they smell chemical and are overpowering. This is my 'go to' when I want to be sure I smell good.

YooHoo
YooHoo

This review is for the 50's version of the perfume.

It is a dark, heavy scent that smells sweet and exotic in the bottle. After awhile the florals subside into more of a chypre smell. It is divine and sensual, very animalistic with just a hint of florals to smooth it out. The effect is narcotic. Probably a better scent for the evening but I love stealing a whiff of it throughout the day. A good dirty girl scent.

Debra1

Im so disapointed I did not the same response from Intimate as other folks with more plesent reactions to it, I'm realy disapointed that I did not purchase another tried and ture sent that I know works for me, since I opened the bottle and sprayed it on getting it from mail order I can't send it back. The Promonant Smell on me Is Grassy, then the Animals, I slightly Smelt the Amber but Grassy Smell is probably from the Oak Moss, which took Most of the Sweet sent out of the Amber robed the sweet out of the the Musk and the slight sent of Rose. I could have used the 15 dollars I wasted to smell like a grassy stinkey barn yard, covered up tbe the sent of cedar chips and a slight sent of rose that even the amber couldn't mask, I keep on spraying it on thinking Intimate and I would finally get along, so sorry Folks Pe-U. I didn't get Enough of the of the Gardena Jasmine Sandlewood or even the Rose to make this sent experience a Pleasent One.

Debra1

I just ordered intimate, after reading the reviews, Well I'm just etting intimate with intimate, st start with it was an a very bad first impression, it semelled kinda grassy at first.. I just don't take to real grassy smells, it must be the Oak Moss, then the barn yard critters came out On Parade. The Civit Cat, Dear Seman, and the Beaver smell, wich is suposed to smell like leather, Why???, Leave it to Bevar? too much Animal Smells! What was the Purfumer Thinking?? OK Civit Cat, Dear Seaman or Beaver, One Pet and only one! the Barn Yard Smell was mixed with some Rose in it, and lots of Sedar Chips, wich smelled like Pencil shavings? I was waiting for more powery smells spices and white flowers like jasmine and gardenia, the like my beloved Tojour Moi, I even forgave after the stiky first spray smell, however the stinky of first pray smell,lasted a few minutes then it was Heavenly with Tojour Moi, the first spray stink with Intimate lasted a bit longer, ok next morning the dry down smell was plesent, the Animals went away, with the Pencil Shavings and the Grassyness and I got a bit more sweet from Initimate, but you still couldn't get enough jasmine gardinia or sweet powdery sents and spices as my previous perfume. I'll give Inimate a bit of a chance since it's new for us to get usto each other, but I'll probably stick to Tojour Moi.

petal49
petal49

Intimate was once my signature fragrance. Now I have the new version, and it is not quite the same but neither am I.
40 years on we have both mellowed, I still love it. Life is quieter now and so usually are my perfumes. I may soon become a Granny but I still want to smell delicious and for my grandchildren to remember when they are grown up.

lizziekayy
lizziekayy

This must have been a mighty beast when first it was made, back when all the ingredients were real and natural. The first blast of this is chemical riot , alcohol, aldehydes, wood and spice and then it fades within an hour to a cheap smoky incense-like remnant. It lies close to the skin and is not unpleasant to me but is kind of like damp crypts and cellars. Cedar is in there somewhere. The only discernible listed note after an hour.

EnglishCountryGarden
EnglishCountryGarden

There are certain fragrances in my "must have" list - clementines, lemons, lilacs heavy on the bough, night scented stock, freshly turned earth, sea breezes, rain on stone and mud, Dove/Cleopatra soap, you get the picture. I remember being 16, an office junior and two "mature" ladies (21 and 22!) wearing L'Aimant and Intimate. Those ladies always smelled soooooo good. They seemed, to my gauche eye, to be confident, stylish, self assured, accomplished, when in reality, they were no more than kids themselves. Now, to my truly mature nose, Intimate really does exude confidence and self assurance. It is a floral, it's absolutely LOADED, and I mean overflowing with the innocence of armfuls of bloom, of big jamjars of flowers, not structured vases, big Robinsons jamjars creaking under the weight. Curiously, for such a flower grenade, there isn't a breath of indole in it for me, (a blessing), the Gardenia is actually fresh creamy, as it should be, the jasmine has been dipped in carbolic and scrubbed shiny white with a wire brush, and the roses, OH! the roses, scaffolded to dizzy apple scented heights with a generous lashing of aldehyde to lift them into that gorgeous heavy with dew scent, so evocative of early morning honeysuckle. I DO get a tang of coriander, which might be responsible for the emotional response this perfume elicits, the whole structure is balanced beautifully by a nice dry sandalwood. So what of the wild and furry products in there? I am truly baffled as to how such a museli of animalics has gathered this delicious bouquet into such beauty, but it has. Thankfully, I do not get the massive poop hit so often associated with those delightful civet kitty additives, and the castoreum stays nice and tame in a soft leather purse guise, giving the whole thing something very nice and comfortable to sit on. This stuff is a snip for the price, and probably not to everyone's tastes, but the older I get, the more pernickety I (and many of my peers/contemporaries) get with florals. This fits the bill for us. A fruity little rose, no melons/mangoes or stickies, at once floral, slightly musty, sharp apple aldehyde on a leather base. I've definitely smelled frags at 20x the price which don't even come close. Winner.

TillyWave
TillyWave

I can't even explain why I got a bottle of this, but INTIMATE has taught me what a Chypre Floral actually is.

First, the way it wears: a lot of old fashioned musks and aldehydes on the top, the loud/complex/offensive ones found in old perfumes, and yes, in my beloved Chanel No 5 EDC. The top notes burn off and blend with the floral heart, I detect rose, white flowers (LOTV?) mostly, and then the strange note that I am betting money is castoreum creeps in along with the flowers. The effect is interesting and a little off putting, mostly because the note isn't used anymore, so I'm not used to it, and because it's an old bottle, it's probably a natural extract. I like it because it just smells risky. The heart of INTIMATE is really 'perfumey' you know what I mean, it's strong, floral, skanky, and out of style. I went to bed at this point, thinking that this perfume is a great exercise in what perfume used to be, and do.

Well when I woke up I sniffed my arm again, and I smelled the base (which is going strong 4 hours later) and was shocked--it's a REAL CHYPRE BASE--this is what they are really talking about! Oakmoss, sandalwood, civet, musk, orris root (or something scratchy and woody like it) the combination is both dirty, rich, and sexy at the same time! I very rarely use the 'sexy' adjective, but the base is really naughty and thrilling, like you had a crazy adventure last night...woot!

Anyway I highly recommend this gem if you're interested in this genre of perfume. It lasts 12+ hours--amazing! I am reviewing a bottle of the EDT. I also got a concentrated perfume oil, I may review that too.

royal secret addict
royal secret addict

My first signature fragrance. Wore it all through high school and loved it until I discovered Royal Secret. I've always loved florals with sandalwood, patchouli, musk, amber, etc. Love orientals. I just don't understand wanting to smell like a piece of fruit.

Lornaluv
Lornaluv

I remember my mother having a bottle of this when I was very little - younger than 7 maybe as young as 5 which would be 1970.

She had a little left in the bottle, and I rememeber her telling me it was "special". She told me her Aunt Patsy had given to her.I would snif the cap and the top of the bottle - oh what heaven!

Aunt Patsy was my grandmother's sister and a very elegant woman she had never had children but had married well and had been a professional secretary - think "Mad Men".

As I said Aunt Patsy was very elegant, she had beautiful silk dresses, gorgeous shoes that matched her hand bags and belts, and hats that matched her coats, and she still wore beautiful gloves.
She had wonderful cosmetics and wore fragrances like Chanel 5, and Este Lauder Scents.

But that was for special occasions, she was frugal as well. She along with her husband had a business and for everyday she wore cotton dresses and more resonable priced fragrances.

Someone had given this to her as a gift because they thought it was as elegant as she was, but she could be a snob at times and this just didn't suit her taste. when something like that would happen, she never returned things and was always gracious. She was also generous, and my mother would benifit.

As beautiful, glamorous, and "special" as this was it was also very heavy with the Animalic notes - and those often didn't sit very well on my mother's skin.
That was the case with this - she usualy scented her scarfs and slips with this, but stayed off from her skin directly.

Not her favorite she would have liked something from Este Lauder more, but this was lovely, back in the day.

redsuedekitten
redsuedekitten

Not much like the original. I read somewhere the other day that Jean Philippe acquired the license to use the name/bottle, etc., but not the actual formula. I'm sad... I'd purchased this in the hope of reliving my favourite perfume that I had as a teen. I wore this in the late 80s, early 90s, when it was in the teardrop shaped bottle, and still made by Revlon. I may have to hunt down a cheap bottle of the original online somewhere. Otherwise, it's OK - smells like an old fashioned cologne. I'm drawn to wearing it in hotter weather more.

Thalia
Thalia

Looking at the notes, you'd expect this one to be a dirty barnyard -- musk! Civet! Castoreum! But Intimate proves that animalics don't have to be forbidding or an acquired taste. If your impression of "old-fashioned perfume" is the chilly formal elegance of Chanel No. 5, you'll find this completely the opposite, it's strikingly warm and soft and easy to wear. It's very rosy and very sweet and after the initial "perfuminess" of the top notes it gives a strong impression of skin warmed by the sun. Intimate, indeed!

Intimate is so soft and pillowy that it really needs the hint of sharpness that civet can give -- otherwise it would collapse into a sweet gooey marshmallow. I'm not saying it smells gourmand, just that it smells pretty and plush and eminently approachable. It smells huggable. Perhaps not surprisingly, my husband LOVES this stuff.

As animalic scents and old-school chypres tend to do, it lasts forever on the skin and only gets richer and fuller-smelling as the day goes on. You'll wake up the next morning with a nose full of Intimate -- lucky you!

I bought a very old 1/2 oz. manufacturer's sample bottle of this on eBay -- I'm guessing early '60s? I have no idea what the current formula smells like, but I bet it doesn't smell like this!

drugstore classics

UPDATE ~ I've been wearing this most of the day and marveling at the sillage and longevity on my skin.

Intimate has now lasted a good 6 hours on me, and is only now beginning to fade. Somebody commented that there was a lingering aroma of my fragrance, when they walked into the kitchen. Interesting! I'd been wearing this for about 4 hours at that point, and didn't feel it was at all noticable. It's still there now, and I've had such a challenge finding fragrances that really last, with equally good sillage. I think my chemistry frequently kills the longevity of a scent ~ not so Intimate.

What more can you ask from an EDC ?! I'm HAPPY.....

drugstore classics

Yesterday I received my large ( 3.6 oz! ) bottle of the reformulated fragrance. The bottle appears identical to the one featured on this page. It was a rash, blind buy - truthfully based more on these darling vintage Revlon ads than by the fragrance notes. I've never before worn a fragrance with castoreum, and I usually loathe musky scents.

What a surprise! It does not come across as sharper than Charlie, as some people have commented here. And neither is it without a heart. To me, the name seems highly appropriate.

At least on my skin, this vintage scent starts off sharply, as a close cousin of Avon's Timeless. That is where the similarity ends. Yes, this is most definately animalic, but in an utterly cozy, addictive fashion. Timeless is more about Amber in the drydown. Intimate stays close to the topnotes while still softening beautifully! The amber is there, but blended with an old - fashioned animalic base that just oozes femeninity.

This could be my new winter skin scent. Not at all overpowering on me, it's a slightly sweet and grounded musk of the type that says "elegance".

It does not need to shout.

Somehow I doubt if the initial scent in all it's strength would have agreed with me. I'm still amazed that this blind buy turned out so well, as this is my first animalic scent victory!

My experience in purchasing this from Amerimark was a good one. Even though the shipping took a week, it arrived well packaged and protected.

My fear that this would be anything like Passion was groundless..... it's much gentler and ladylike. This is a fragrance my elegant grandmother would have enjoyed!

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

A blind buy for me based on the notes listed, and some of the reviews. And a successful one, I'm glad to say. This smells very 60's and I wonder if my Mum had it before she discovered Avon. It starts with a very sweet blast initially but soon tones down to a powdery, cool but also animalic floral. It's a lovely soft mix to wear if you want to feel very feminine indeed. No particular floral scent dominates, it is very blurred in a nice way. Sillage is good and on my skin it is very long-lasting. Having discovered this 40 years too late, it will now continue to be a part of my perfume collection. Welcome, Intimate!

Esscentially299
Esscentially299

This was one I wore back in the sixties and seventies.
I was a kid, and this was one of my favorites. I remember it as sandalwood/rose. It did not have much staying power even back then, as I recall. The stuff out now doesn't smell as good as the original...sort of a pencil sketch compared to what was an oil portrait. I keep a small bottle on my dresser out of sentiment, and seldom wear it. Pleasant fragrance and pleasant memories.

canashar
canashar

To me it smells like bath powder...would be great after a shower or to spray on the sheets and towels.

gazelle
gazelle

I too picked up a 1/2 oz. bottle at the 99cent store today. I had a bad experience first time I smelled Intimate in the late 60's. It was a blast of sickening sweet fragrance. I didn't know about the note "oakmoss" in those days or I might have had greater appreciation and respect for the fragrance. This formulation reminds me of Tabu just a tiny bit. I bought it just for grins. I'm grinning.

Flowergrl
Flowergrl

I bought a small bottle of this at my local 99 cent store awhile ago since I remembered the name from my childhood. I tried it once or twice around the house and it seemed like a nice chypre for the money, probably reformulated but recognizable. Tonight I spritzed my wrists a couple times with it and sat back on the sofa for an hour or so. To my surprise the drydown was beautiful on my skin. The florals and basenotes were tenacious and well balanced. It seemed to be made of real ingredients, no synthetic notes jumped out at me. It would be appropriate for work or play. I wouldn't wear it for a romantic date but you could, it has a leather note that's appealing to me also. Unlike some chypres it's very wearable. I'm going to snag a couple more of those little 99 cent bottles. It's funny how price doesn't always equal quality or satisfaction, my skin just likes Intimate.

krmarich
krmarich

My aunt wore Intimate. In fact, I ran across a bottle on her vanity. She wore it at my uncles funeral and not since. She used it when they dated. Its fitting for grief!

Think the 1950s formal world with its tight waistlines and tall heels. It is an ice princess and perfect for Joan Crawford. The rose is big as well as the animalic notes. A bit like Joy with its warmth. Its was inexpensive, yet had quality ingredients.

Charlie replaced it, yet it cannot be forgotten. It had more grace than Charlie, and lacked a heart. Itimate? Not really...

20thcenturyrelic
20thcenturyrelic

Oh, my mom had an Intimate bath set back in the day. I don't remember what all it had in it, but it had soap that smelled *so good.* I assume she eventually used it up.

twillocks
twillocks

I remember my mom wearing this when I was little. . . she always smelled so good.

What my mother wore when I was younger is not what you get today.

My mother is 72 now and dad always bought this for her it makes me sad now that he is gone.

To me this is Charlie's stricter uptight mom! I usually stay away from Revlon, for the most part; though sniffing and reviewing this is nice...perhaps I will try Fire and Ice next-that name has always intrigued me! :-)

One of my dearest friends wears Charlie (original blue box) almost exclusively. I saw her yesterday, purely by chance. When hugging her warmly I was greeted by the familiar (and stunning on her BTW) scent. Maybe Revlon is not that bad after all, I thought, I must try and review Intimate soon...

Similar in its opening to many fifties and sixties scents: herbs, aldehydes and creamy florals with the obligatory citric bergamot. This is cleaner and "sharper" than Charlie and is very much a classic perfume. The woody heart is dry but firm, and the florals balance each other well: sensual jasmine and cool, detached iris create something lovely yet not really sweet or all that warm. The drydown is a warm musky, animalic chypre. It is sexy, and makes you want to get closer, but never really gets "cozy". This smells (to me) like something Faye Dunaway might have worn when portraying Joan Crawford in "Mommie Dearest", or something Corrine (mother in V.C. Andrews epic Dollanger saga "Flowers in the Attic") would wear: lovely, but aloof; classy but severe...not exactly what I define "intimate" as, but then again the fifties were half a century ago and maybe it's just my skin. Even on paper I get the cool, dry serious side of this fragrance and nothing really sexual or all that passionate. C'est la Vie...

Sillage: good
Longevity: very good
Overall: 3.25/5

Classic, classy and (unfortunately) not all that intimate for me. I am sure there are women who can transform this into a magical elixir...I just seem immune to it.

guest_Barbarizia
guest_Barbarizia

I worked for Revlon in the early-mid seventies. We were required to wear their fragrances while at work. While I personally detested Intimate - too strong, too sharp, too synthetic, every time I wore it, men would come out of the woodwork. They were attracted like ants to a picnic. I have never experienced that reaction from men to a particular fragrance ever again.

geegee
geegee

Sweet & floral is how i would describe this. The initial spray is way too sweet for my liking but thankfully drydown softens that sweet overkill & the flowers drift through.

Although not unpleasant it isnt anything wonderful either & a juice that id only wear in the day time on a cold day, a hot day would bring the sweetness to the surface more i think & that would be very sickly.

Not a fragrance to wear to impress but one to wear so that you will appreciate your better quality juices so you dont take them for granted.

Worth a try but dont spend much or expect much.

JonCologneSplash
JonCologneSplash

bought a bottle for my wife from a vintage store and then bought the reforumated version no longer made by revlon its not as good and very very inexpensive

sunshineandroses
sunshineandroses

This was very popular in the 1960s. It was floral powdery with a bit of spice. It was a good bath product scent too. I remember the smell from my mother and other people having it around. It was not expensive and was often marketed in fancy bottles. I think it was supposed to be sexy but it was more like a baby powder comforting scent. I have vintage bottles of it in my collection for fun. It's not something that I would wear out though. It reminds me of my mother since she had bottles of it around that she got as gifts. The filigree bottles were very pretty and probably sold the perfume.
It wasn't a sensational perfume but it was nice. It was the type of perfume women used to wear in the sixties before the power perfumes of the 80s and 90s. Styles do change over the years, that's for sure. The next decades brought things like Charlie and Exclamation. Intimate is sweet and nostalgic by comparison. Okay, maybe not everybody liked Intimate, but it was $1.50 for an 8oz bottle back then. You couldn't expect Shalimar or Chanel no 5 at that price.

Kiku
Kiku

I got this one Christmas in the 70's. I remember it being punch-you-in-the-face srong. Very fruity and "thin" smelling. No depth or complexity. I recall it as being very synthetic. The drydown was smoky and overpowering. I didn't finish the bottle and, needless to say, never bought it.

Intimate by Revlon 3.92 out of 5 based on 88 ratings and 29 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Revlon Intimate fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Revlon Intimate, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Intimate by Revlon. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Intimate by Revlon represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.