Designers » R S » Oriental Floral « Groups

Baghari 2006 Robert Piguet for women

Baghari 2006 Robert Piguet for women
dislike

aldehydic

Baghari 2006 by Robert Piguet is a Oriental Floral fragrance for women. Baghari 2006 was launched in 2006. The nose behind this fragrance is Aurelien Guichard. Top note is aldehydes; middle notes are bulgarian rose and jasmine; base notes are amber, vanilla and musk.

Aldehydes

Liu

Baghari 2006 Fragrance Reviews

IHeartVetiver
IHeartVetiver

This was very bitter. So far, I don't want a girl wearing this around me. I'm wondering if it will one day grow on me.... For now, I have a practically full bottle for trade.

chyprespace
chyprespace

Terrible opening for people like me who do not like aldehydes. In the dry-down it becomes something like a softer, warmer, less vanilicr version of Shalimar for people who don't (yet) like Shalimar, like me. Powdery, rosy, warm, ambery, orangey, a bit dark, and overall wanting in depth and character and luxury when compared to something like Coco.

theladymay
theladymay

I own the vintage of Baghari in a 2 oz parfum and a 2 oz eau de toilette, and then the modern parfum and eau de parfum. Aurelien Guichard did a magnificent job of updating Baghari - no small compliment coming from an older lady like myself. I suppose if Chanel No 5 is what one knows of aldehydics there's a resemblance but it's not a strong one at all. Baghari is (in both vintage and modern) a dark, somewhat spicy iris chypre on a musky, powdered amber base laced with just a touch of vetiver and held together with a magnificent candied orange peel aldehydic thing that has little in common with the soapy top note aldehydes used in No 5, No 22, Caleche and the like. It's quietly beautiful - a little sophisticated maybe but much warmer, less reserved and more sensual than the aforementioned scents. The aldehydes here are used in such a unique way, running throughout the heart of the perfume. I love the effect it has, and can't find anything to compare it to. I think this is really a masterful creation.

LizzieDee

This is a little addendum to my review below:
I spritzed on some Baghari at about 8:30am this morning. At about 4pm this afternoon a colleague said to me, "Are you wearing No. 5"? So that tells you something about the longevity of Baghari.
I'm on my third bottle of this wonderful perfume. I get why it reminds people of No. 5, but No. 5 is such an icon it has become a bit of a cliche. Baghari has the aldehydes (which must have been what my colleague was smelling) but the gorgeous incense completely changes the emotional impact.

TaleOfTheRose
TaleOfTheRose

This beautiful perfume has been overshadowed by its flamboyant siblings: Bandit and Fracas.
Opens with an animalic, rounded citrusy floral scent. Besides rose, I could not identify each of the floral notes. Dry down to amber and vanilla. Overall it has an oily, creamy feel and yet very comforting. It is a soft retro oriental scent but there is depth in it. It is easy to wear.
Vintage parfum review. Now I have to hunt down a bigger vintage bottle.

Angelica 000
Angelica 000

This smells to me of my favourite, Blood Oranges. So much deeper & roundly sweet than just Orange. At first I wasn't sure it would work, Orange/cream/Vanilla & something & something? It quickly goes beyond fruity & the depth is warm & inviting, musky & amber, aromatic & sexy.Every time I wear it I like it more, I haven't tried the vintage, but why would I when this one ticks all the boxes.

Walking Unicorn
Walking Unicorn

Vintage review: I took me a year to find a mini bottle of vintage Baghari, but it was so worth the wait and I've never even smelled the reformulated version. Vintage Baghari is a magnificent perfume from a different era, one of elegant cocktail parties, fur stoles and coats. It's a little more on the dark, sultry side, but it denotes class. It's soft and powdery, a musky and animalic oriental with vanilla, rose and hints of bergamot. It reminds me of Bal à Versailles rather than L'Aimant or No.5 which is what I imagine the modernized version must smell like. It's warm and wonderful, too bad they just don't make them like this anymore.

SuzySchnabel
SuzySchnabel

And this is the fourth in a row to disappoint me completly ( after VolDeNuit, BalAVersailles en Bandit )
and I've to say goodbye to..........even more generic then Bandit I've smelled nothing original at all, disappeared after 30m, was a bit swweet a bit ambery a bit powdery and then it wwas gone....Bye...
Remains for me Future to give me hope in the Future...
I'm speachless and the fans please forgive me.

LizzieDee

What a complex, wonderful mixture! For me the citrus is orange, not lemon, and there's a gourmand spiciness that combines with it to smell like Christmas - Christmas pudding, mince pies and mulled wine. But the aldehydes and the floral notes are there too and they somehow create a vintage feeling - you can sense the history to this perfume. I agree with everyone who finds the aldehydes remind them of Chanel No. 5, but it's a bottle of No. 5 from the 1970s.

emily7
emily7

Yes, Baghari - you are indeed sitting here on top of my neck and wrists - large and motionless - some say incomplete. But, winter is at the door and this thick layer of your creamy aldehydes creates a warm, powdery, protective aura. Cold-warm, you smell like flowers and agrumes sealed by amber and caught by morning frost.
You are embracing me the way I am not used to, with furs and pearls, and taking me into the snowy night, illuminated by candlelight.
Romantic and from another era.
An occasional dose of glamour in everyday life.

TillyWave
TillyWave

I am on a quest to use up my decants, and I've not given this a proper testing yet. So without looking it up first, I sprayed on Baghari and smelled, yes the aldehydes, but the most comforting, familiar, well blended sort of accord, so familiar, what is it, it smells just like Chanel No 5 in EDT! My favorite formulation. And I see that alot of people agree with me.

Well the top smells a lot like No 5, but it veers a bit as it dries down, becoming primarily musk and slightly smoky amber on my skin. I like it very much, but I prefer the florals of No 5, and the smoky amber of Shalimar. I think I'll just stick with them.

r0r0
r0r0

I wanted so much to like this, but on me it is unpleasantly bitter, while also being sticky sweet. It smells, as much as anything, like the skin and pith of a particularly underripe orange, vetiver, a kind of indistinct and unhappy grime, and a little bit like musk stick lollies.

I can almost smell something that makes me think of the way a certain place smelled after being occupied by someone who wore chanel no 5 every day for a long time. Years of the perfume layered on top of itself, body odour, wood smoke, dust, dog hair, old food smells and black mold.

It is not a perfume that makes me happy when I wear it.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

Though I've now come around to Chanel No. 5, Baghari was the first aldehyde where I finally thought 'Yes. Now I get it.' I never used to understand the descriptions of aldehydes, or their appeal, but as my immersion into perfumery has increased and I've grown older, tastes ranging wider than before, I've come to appreciate them. Soapy, effervescent, warm - aldehydes as I have come to know them in Baghari.
Baghari does open with aldehydes, but also, a pronounced citrus, which to me is simply lemon. I find Baghari very lemony in fact, which helps maintain the subtle lift this scent has as it wears. The aldehydes here are not crystalline, but smooth and soapy, soft. This fragrance has an openly retro feel from start to finish. The iris is a key contender in the heart, along with amber, and that citrus keeps it all going. I feel some jasmine in the middle stages, highlighting the more feminine nuances of this scent, but never becoming too florid. Baghari overall feels very cloudy - thick, mildly sweet, powdery. The powdery notes combined with the citrus and aldehydes actually render a similar effect to me as ylang ylang - a clotted, cosy floral. And cosy is the first word I would use to describe Baghari. Although it is of a retro style, and makes me feel quite sophisticated and elegant when I wear it, there is also something tasty and comforting about it, and indeed a milky vanilla slowly eases it out. It is mostly a linear scent, what you see is what you get, with only small fluctuations in its development. But this cuddly aldehyde is a winner in dreary weather and the cold, a scented hug that promises sunshine in the future. *Review based on current formulation*

becuille
becuille

My skin finds aldehydes difficult. Sometimes they smell fantastic on me, other times, they just don't work. Unfortunately, this is one of those ones where they don't work.

I should point out that in the bottle, I think this smells lovely so the fact it hasn't worked on my skin doesn't mean I think it's a bad perfume, just that it hasn't meshed well with me.

There's a blast of aldehydes in the opening, as promised. On me though, they're like fizzy detergent. The effect is like some kind of cross between sherbet and fabric softener.

There's a hint of bergamot in the opening that's very nice. After about an hour, there's some vanilla in the mix which seems to clash with the fizz and pop of the opening.

It all just becomes too sythentic on me (ok, I know aldehydes are synthetic anyway, but I hope that makes sense).

It's like something I'd happily spray on fabrics, but it's just not for my skin I'm afraid.

Jenavira
Jenavira

Starts off with classic aldehydes but unlike many others has no harsh edges rather this remains soft cozy and orange tinged with an exquisite amber drydown.

Vanessa Dunlap
Vanessa Dunlap

I like this one. It reminds me of a salad made of fresh herbs (Including herbs that might not be available in my country. I'm thinking of an herb from Italy, I think it is called Nepitella? Anyway, this herb sounds delightful, and I wish I could find it here in the US. Baghari has that "rare herb" quality/essence to it, is what I'm trying to say), with a hint of sweetness from amber or whatever the beautiful resins are in this, a touch of smoke, and some fizz from aldehydes. Upon applying, I felt like it could be a cousin to Vol de Nuit (and now I'm curious to try Vega, which I see that Baghari has been compared to. I've never sampled Vega and now I'm kicking myself for not investigating it before Guerlain pulled it from the website, last year). The florals and vanilla are very understated, very refined and in the background. Baghari definitely has a vintage smell/vibe to it, which I love because it doesn't smell like what most people are currently wearing. I would reach for this on days where Habanita might be a bit too intense. This is definitely growing on me.
PS: This one projects a very soft, close aura around me. After about four hours, you would have to stand very close to me in order to smell it. So I have had this on for almost nine hours and now I can smell the jasmine/violet/musk/vanilla close to my skin. I am quite impressed! I think Baghari and I will become good friends!

Edit: I recently acquired a sample of Guerlain's Vega, and yes Vega does smell very similar to Baghari. I prefer Baghari.

Planet_X
Planet_X

I guess this one is a true Chameleon, since every single person compared and described Baghari so differently. It might be a good thing, that it works individually with every skin chemistry and, judging by votes - works quite well.
On me its almost identical to Houbigant Chantilly, surprise-surprise, dont feel any harshness of aldehydes at all - just fizzy bergamot at the beginning develops into posh feminine powder and musky-vannilic drydown, but not ambery. Very clean, linear and peaceful fragrance, very opposite to the Fracas

Le Chat
Le Chat

My sister has just bought this and it is so overpowering. Smells a tad like Cinnabar but not as nice! Smells like end of nightclub perfume circa 1980 with smoke and alcohol! Yuk!

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

The new version of Baghari is a conventional and quite powerful aldehydic floral scent with a load of spices, a dusty woody base accord and a sort of resinous-fizzy-foggy incense note which I assume being olibanum (but that cloudy fizziness is often a side-effect of Iso E). A bit loud to be honest, almost tacky initially, with the same stereo power as Piguet's Casbah, and also a monster persistence. Plus, the evolution is basically absent, so Baghari basically sits there like a giant rock for hours, static and slightly ghastly like a baroque still life painting. But if you like it, than that may turn into a deal – me, I was starting to feel genuinely annoyed after a couple of hours. I have not tested the vintage version yet but I am sure it's better than this.

athenian
athenian

Reminiscent of Chanel No 5? NO. Reminiscent of Chanel No 5 Eau Pemiere? YES. I dislike the top notes but love the dry down. If you din't like it the first time you tried it, please give it another chance. You may end up liking it the second time around.

therealpaloma54
therealpaloma54

I had a bottle of the original Baghari. Eventually I sold it to someone else, as it was very much too sweet for me. Does anyone know if this current Baghari is intended to be a reformulation, or merely using the same name for an entirely different perfume concept?

halalula1234
halalula1234

Great scent,
This scent reminds me a lot of Estee Lauder's White Linen. A very nice clean aldehydic opening.

I like this scent a lot and if I have the funds I would love to add it to my collection.

ranchorita
ranchorita

Baghari is a mature fragrance, and not girly or coquetteish, but I could see it being quite precocious on a very young and classically stylish person. Funny thing is that I wouldn't have guessed this would be classified as an Oriental Floral. I get lots of aldehydes, Iris, Musk, green notes-- but the broad woody aspect has never arrived for me, and I confess this is not my favorite. I'd love if some amber came in for a big finish, but I've never detected it.

This is elegant, and I have enjoyed this as an olfactory expedition, but it's not my style, and not how I want to smell. I think this is one that I could find enchanting on a dynamic, person who is ruggedly individualistic. I could also see this on a classic fashion plate of a person.

This doesn't smell like Chanel No. 5 to me, but I can see similarities in structure- I think the two might appeal to the a person who wants variations along a sort of spectrum.

Sillage is close, and longevity is middling.

CitrusHead
CitrusHead

Bright burst of aldehyde along with the bergamot & a hint of neroli. I like this opening! Dries down to a soft jasmine and more of a green violet leaf than the powdery violet. Pretty rose and a vanilla musk. No patchouli and no sweet fruit! This is a beautiful adult woman fragrance with moderate sillage & good longevity - about 6 hours on my skin.

It's not over-the-top flowery, just a pretty flower scent kept in check with the green undertones & musk. But if you do not like aldehydes, you may not like this.

joe70062
joe70062

I purchased some samples because a previous reviewer compared it to Chanel No. 5. Not! There is the aldehydes opening, but that's it. It wasn't even close. Mr. Piguet's best...Fracas, is a far cry from this odious juice. Save your money, or purchase Fracas!

Loifeel
Loifeel

Where could i find again the great old formula of Baghari? Was Great!!

Shwets
Shwets

I smelt Baghari at Liberty yesterday so this must be the current version.

I would never have thought this is reminiscent of No 5 edt. It has this incense like quality. I vaguely remember Chanel Jersey and wonder if Baghari reminds me of this.

Very long lasting and close to the skin on me. Pretty and a vintage but modern feel. The scent reminds me of Indian Temples but in a lighter non heady way. I can understand there is a Maitresse vibe going on (where Maitresse i find quite harsh in comparison).

Well blended and smooth no harshess in this fragrance.

lanuitblanche
lanuitblanche

When I wear this, I feel as if I am a sophisticated well-traveled young woman in her early 20s -- in the 1950s. It has a vintage feel to it, a true retro with a spicy kick that I really like. It's not an "old lady perfume", but rather "a young lady back in time" kind of perfume, if you understand me? I don't think I'd reach for it on many evenings, but only for a very specific kind of outing, like when I go to the theater to see a period play, wearing it like an olfactory costume piece, and still feel young and fresh and little bit naughty. Maybe I'll grow into it, in time. Very very lovely....

stitchywitch
stitchywitch

I used to wear a lot of Chanel no. 5, but Baghari has replaced it as my go-to aldehyde. They are definitely similar, but no. 5 feels a little musty in comparison. Baghari comes out big, with a blast of aldehydes and bergmot. When I first tried it, I worried that it would be too much. I needn't have worried - it fades to a beautiful vanilla/musk/iris scent. It's really beautiful and special.

Absolument
Absolument

Reminiscent of Chanel N'5 but I also sensed a hint of cinnamon!

flowers-in-the-springtime
flowers-in-the-springtime

I wasn't expecting to like this as I'm not keen on aldehydes and I'm not a great fan of Robert Piguet, however I have surprised myself because this is one of the most stunning perfumes I have smelled in a long time.
At the first spritz I can smell strong aldehydes and I get shades of Chanel No5, but this baby is far, far, nicer than Chanel in every respect.
Firstly, there is never any harshness in this fragrance, I think that the neroli softens the bergamot and then the middle notes step in with the most beautiful and delicate rose note, a soft and quiet jasmine and a hint of violet. The composition ends with a crescendo of oh so sweet vanilla! which is kept in check by the musk.
I simply adore this fragrance, I cannot get enough of it and I can't stop smelling my wrist.
The dry down on this has settled into a sweetened floral aniseed. I know aniseed isn't listed but on my skin that's what I can smell.
Finally I get a quiet and gentle floral perfume which is gentle, sultry, elegant, charming, classy and refined. Damn this is too good to be true and I just have to have a FB.

rschmidt65
rschmidt65

This is very lovely! Smells like powdered panforte sparkling with aldehydes. I would describe it more as vintage than old lady and imagine it would be perfect on a bride or at a garden party or anywhere where a floaty sundress would be appropriate. As to those who say it is similar to Chanel No. 5, I could not disagree more. True it is powdery and aldehylic, but that is where the similarity ends. No. 5 pretty much ruined anything with a prominent aldehyde component for me and this little beauty is the first to redeem it. I can't see myself wearing it often enough to warrant a full bottle but I will keep my sample for the right occasions. Classic and unique!
Edit: my love for this one just keeps growing. I've got a bottle now and find it's a perfect winter fragrance. The dry down is warm, powdery and sweet with a touch of aldehyde sparkle. Perfect!

Jillmcshaw1
Jillmcshaw1

Alas I have been slightly let down as I work my way through Robert Piguet fragrances and this one is no different. I am surprised by the similarities I have found between RP fragrances and AP fragrances. Baghari 2006 is very similar to Maitresse Like a Maitresse light. The aldehydes are present but not quite the impact one finds in No. 5 EDT. This is a beginner's aldehyde, or someone looking for a work appropriate aldehyde. I've always been a deep end first kind of gal so it's too soft for me (it was overshadowed by my Lady Speed stick). I like to leave a little wake of fragrance behind me so I will stick to Maitresse or No. 5 Eau Premiere.

Deppaholic
Deppaholic

Just got this, and while I will concur it reminds me of Clive Christian No. 1, perhaps more a sister rather than a cousin. I did a side by side, and I love them both, but there are differences although to my nose their similarities are more intense. I am glad I happened upon this because I don't have to be ever on the hunt CC No 1 at a steal. I'm not going to name notes because Fragrantica and the reviews are pretty dead on if it works for you. I just will say that I love this. I will add that this is not quite as "dress up" and CC1, or as pricey. If you ever wanted to try CC1 and don't have the $$, which I think is vulgar, then go for this one. Oh, side note, I never tried the original. I love Fracas also, so I will probably try more from this house.

Edit 11/13: I still really love this one. Fragrances seem to bloom more on me in the dead of winter, which we are experiencing here in the North East right now. This evokes John Dillinger's woman to me. If I had to imagine what she smelled like walking past me, this would be it. Sorta flapper age. It is very lovely, sexy and alluring enough just to pull in not Dillinger, but perhaps even the actor himself who portrayed the notorious bank robber. I prefer this one very much over Fracas. They are both worth a try though.

judyk
judyk

I am sooooo glad this is clearly listed as Baghari 2006, because *real* Baghari it is NOT!

Vintage Baghari is indeed similar to Arpège, a bit fuzzier and earthier - deep, creamy, warm and sexy. This? This is sweet orange powder aldehydes. Yeaaah... Chanel No.5 (not a fave) with a healthy pinch of orange drink powder. Pleasant enough in a body spray sort of way.

I deliberately bought a sample of the modern formulation so that I could compare it to the classic. I don't regret doing so - it's been highly educational. However, I was going to wear it to work today but I can't bring myself to spend the next 8 hours with this scent.

Please Fragrantica, make a separate listing for the original 1950 Baghari. It more than deserves its own page.

hollycat
hollycat

Baghari smells so similar to Chanel No 5 to my nose. Im not into No 5 and so Im not really digging Baghari. I love Fracas though so I am inclined to want to try all of the scents from this house.

On my skin Baghari is an Aldehyde bomb, sort of drowns out the other notes. Once the aldehydes calm down I get a powerdy, very old school victorian like fragrance. Its a bit nostalgic, a super powdery scent that has some skank in there. I dont know if civet is one of the listed notes but on my chemistry Im smelling civet. In fact all I smell of Baghari once it settles is civit and dusty make up powder.

The scent seems meant for another era. Im glad for the opportunity to smell this. But its not for me. Look at my wardrobe, if you hate my perfume taste. Go try Baghari!

trueblue19
trueblue19

I've never had the chance to try the original but as for the 2006 reformulation, I'm very disappointed.

After reading all the reviews I was expecting something exquisite that I'd surely love according to the notes listed. However this turned out to be nothing like the usual aldehyde floral. Powdery flowers, yes; ambery musky drydown, yes, but all very chemical and that's not even the worst part. All these notes are ruined by the overwhelming aldehydes. I've always loved aldehydic floral but this one has just gone tooooo far. The aldehydes smell so sharp and so oddly acid to me that it's nauseating and headache inducing. To be fair I allowed it 3 hours to settle down but whenever I sniffed my wrist it was a 'eeeek...no!' so I had to washed it off. It is somewhat like Chanel No.5 on the aldehydic soapy clean side but the latter is far better composed than this rough blend. And I don't see any similarities with one of my all time fave Lanvin Arpege. The sillage and longevity is, however, very impressive. Among all the Robert Piguet I've tried, only Bandit is pleasant enough for me to wear. Maybe I'm just not meant to love this house :(.

tanguy20026
tanguy20026

It's just a haunting fragrance. I'm not qualified enough to give a proper opinion, and I'm surprised not to read something about wood, incense or wax, because that's what I smell there. Weird. I'm a man but I love it and bought a bottle right away, the first time I smelt it in a shop.

tymanski
tymanski

I never thought I could love an aldehyde feast more than La Myrrhe, but man, was this a revelation! The opening aldehyde combo with powderred orange, the realistic chypre mid-life with such a graceful musk drydown (much much later)...mon dieu! this is really beautiful stuff. As with Sarrasins, my wife finds this too feminine for me to pull off but I'm inclined to disagree. Nothing that smells this good can NOT work for whomever, right?
(I find this quite similar to Tauer's Orange Star, but is more complex, less powdery, just more elegant...)

fanny
fanny

Mesmerizing..

I did have high expectations, but I never thought I would be as baffled as I am right now :
No note in Baghari acts like it usually does; they all are orchestrated together to serve a higher cause.

A masterpiece.

Bit by bit I'm falling in love with Baghari. I never expected to like it, but to be fair I hadn't even bothered to look at the scent pyramid prior to sampling. I tested Baghari on a whim while shopping last week, and found myself most impressed by what I was smelling.

Baghari is quite a powdery fragrance, however it smells more sensual and dark rather than clean. It's not strictly feminine on my skin either, which draws me to conclude that it would make a wonderful fragrance for men too.

The aldehydes are fairly dominant in Baghari, although despite lending a powdery quality, these aldehydes are less soapy and crisp, and more dry. The musky iris and rose blend almost resembles the scent of crushed potpourri. It's quite a romantic and alluring fragrance, not to mention, unique.

This will probably sound strange, but whenever I wear Baghari I feel like a gypsy. It reminds me of dusty roads, exotic fabrics and wild, uninhibited dancing. The musky and smoky drydown, only further enhances this feeling.

Fracas is by far the most popular Robert Piguet fragrance, and rightly so, however many of his other fragrances are often overlooked, and that's a real shame. I haven't tested the entire range as of yet, but I do greatly admire Bandit and this gorgeous fragrance, Baghari.

I am so glad that Baghari was re-released, even if it has been tampered with. I do hope that it will remain on the shelves for many more decades to come.

9-na
9-na

A present. Nice, very polite, a bit sweet, a bit flowery, a bit powdery on me. Doesn't make me fall in love, but it is very polite.

Upd.: bought vintage. "They killed Kenny!" (c) Vintage has amazing narcissus, lily and rose for me, whole and alive, fresh and dewy, but minus the root parts of the flowers, and plus a drop of aldehydes. Beautiful, and not just three flowers, but many of them in a garden, and the wind is dancing there, quietly, gently. Am enjoying the scent, that goes to the "I love" shelf.

Jellybean
Jellybean

This is like aldehydes and oakmoss (vintage/medieval pair) meet clean, soapy powdery foursome, iris/violet/jasmine/neroli. And for that I like it!
It possesses the strength and comfort at the same time.
Aldehydes take over mostly, and it lasts and lasts, almost all day I'd say.

pisces3774
pisces3774

Wow! I love this! Upon first sniff, it smells very much like Tableau de Parfums Miriam - surprisingly so. It gets a little mellower and more vanillic as it dries down. More than anything, I smell aldehydes, iris, the Bulgarian rose, and vanilla. It is also reminiscent of Chanel No 5, EDT. Lovely!

My fresh carded manufacturer's sample of Robert Piguet BAGHARI smells so very different from the first sample I tried, that I feel compelled to pen a new review.

As many other reviewers have noted, aldehydes are indeed prominently displayed in this composition, from beginning to end, but they mingle eccentrically with amber and musk so as to produce a very different perfume from, say, CHANEL NO 5 or WHITE LINEN. There is a whole lot of base going on here, to put it mildly. Often a single perfume focuses on musk or amber or perhaps has a bright aldehyde opening, but BAGHARI blends all of these ideas together--to spectacular effect.

For many people, this unexpected combination of aldehydes, amber, and musk may be an unwelcome surprise. You really do have to love aldehydes, amber, and musk, to be able to wear this perfume, but how many people actually love all three? I think that I prefer each of the three separately, but this combination is a taste which, with time, could probably be acquired.

Robert Piguet BAGHARI is a must-try-before-you buy, but do make sure that your sample is fresh! My previous sample seemed like a thick amber perfume, so the aldehydes had apparently all evaporated away--or perhaps there was a decanting error involved. On ne sait jamais...

stelladoro

I have to disagree with the comparison to Le Dix. I wore Le Dix as a teenager and it is sweet, not fresh and the spicy rose is absent. If I remember correctly, it's drydown was dry and powdery. Odd, how the thought of the first spray of Le Dix brought the olfactory memory of it instantly to my nose. It is a classic frangrance, but not similar to Baghari. Balenciaga's perfumes end up very differently than they start on me. I do, however, miss Le Dix.

stelladoro

With Baghari the fragrance is far more than the sum of its parts. With my body chemistry this turns into a strikingly fresh breeze in a garden of roses. It's intoxicating to me. Unique and of undeniably strong character, I find no other fragrance compares. I drink it in through every pore and feel refreshed and uplighted. The aldehydes do not register with me. Bandit is also a favorite of mine when I'm feeling bold and outrageous. Fracas, the signature (read 'only') fragrance of a friend of mine is also outstanding. I occassionaly enjoy wearing it, but it's overpoweringly floral. I prefer Oriental fragrances and wear very few Florals.

Anyway, this lasts for at least 24 hours and the sillage is notably long lasting, as well as excellent.

daniela3
daniela3

I think that the new version is probably one of the best results obtained after the terrible reformulations that masterpieces from the past had and still have!, (it's true that sometimes it is impossible to recreate them) to suffer. Compared to the original formula, that I luckily chanced to smell once, I believe that the new B. it's even better (in my opinion) although it lacks all those "animal" notes composing the first one that made it a winter-time perfume. The old B. was a great perfume but this new one is more in my mood; a fragrance which lasts a long even in the summer! that can be wear all year around, I'm normally picky about the "wearability" of a fragrance....but not in this case.

geekgoddess
geekgoddess

Baghari has a quiet sort of elegance to it that makes it wearable, as opposed to some other aldehydic florals which paradoxically scream class (class never screams.) The mix of citrus peel, sweet florals, and powder is beautiful in a clear but understated way.

Henriette
Henriette

Baghari is what every wonderful scent should be: puzzling and unpredictable. Both adjectives are majestically fulfilled here. It opens strong, with lots of flowers, so many as if they all wanted to embrace you in a tight hug. Little by little the flowers make a step backwards leaving the embrace to softer notes, so gradually that you are hardly aware of what's happening to your skin. You only see it's smelling better and better in a developing of simphony notes. And again little by little you are led to a powdery path, very elegant, very soft, very subdued but never ever banal. I regret not having bought this wonder before and I am sure this won't be the last bottle for me.
Oh and for me no similarities with Chanel n°5: the opening of Baghari is too flowery to resemble n°5 which is much more aldehydes.

id
id

All I get is almost only aldehydes. At the opening it is very nice strong and expressive, but soon it fades into very light inoffensive smell of iris and vetiver. I would like this fragrance to have better sillage on my skin. For that I prefer Lanvin "Arpege".

winkie11
winkie11

I wore the original Baghari for many many years...my very first up grown perfume!

The vintage fragrance was absolutely breathtaking! Sadly the reformulated version although a little similar smells like a cheap scent to me ......all the exotic notes that I so loved have vanished and have been chemically replaced.

Lucky Scent will decant the original....its so worth trying!

jtd
jtd

Review: The current Baghari by Aurelian Guichard is an exercise in focusing loads of otherwise disparate elements toward the same end. To be clear I’d like to add that it’s also a brilliant perfume. You’ve got white florals, aldehydes, sweet resins, citrus fruit, musk, and vanilla among other things. But rather than any of these elements simply becoming the lead note at a particular point in Baghari’s development over time, they move together to achieve this fragrance’s aim from the start, which is to smolder. We talk about perfumes having shape or telling a story. Well this bad girl has an intent. This scent doesn’t want to you notice that it’s beautiful (though it is.) It wants you to see that it has desires. To me, the whiff of Baghari is the expression of a tendency toward arousal. No need to go further down a storyline here. It’s about a state.

It’s also about appreciating delicate balances: animalic yet powdery, candied yet bitter, heightened but subtle, delicate and direct.

Also I've just been fascinated with the use of aldehydes in Baghari. Instead of adding frill or gracenotes as they often do to florals, the aldehydes here seem to shear off both ornamentation and any rough edges. There is a roundness here that is similar in shape to, but not nearly as expansive as the lactonic quality of Gucci Rush. Rush comes at you. Baghari walks past you and you turn your head before you can think.

gabyvinki
gabyvinki

Ubelievably beautiful! Wow, I have something nowadays with Robert Piguet..I like Calypso, Futur and Bandit and I LOVE Fracas but this one I ADORE ! For met the best Piguet remake.. so flowery, powdery and deep longlasting. It also changes a lot, the opening note could be a little heavy on the aldehydes (for people who don t like this ..wait a few minutes::) THEN the middle notes slowly take over and what a charming combination of ambery iris! I didn t think these two notes would mingle so well, but girl, they did! The powdery violet even depens the amber and is a very flirtatous as ever with the iris. It s a dark,creamy slightly sweet oriental and please, give it a 2nd chance, as I did! No blind buys , go for a sample first:)

Powdery aldehydes and spicy candied fruits (mainly orange) surrounded by floral patterns and laying on a ambery/musky base. Basically I could end up my review here having said anything that is important about Baghari, but this composition has much more to offer. All the previous elements are extremely balanced and masterfully orchestrated to take a "different" turn. White flowers turn into night flowers, aldehydes juxtaposed to spices turn from clean to misterious, candied fruits have a bitter aspect to them (yes) that gives an interesting twist to the overall icing sugar allure.

Overall Baghari is an orange chypre with a remarkable "noir" vein. A composition of rare beauty that stands out for its majestic execution. Wether you'll like it or not, this is something anyone should, at least, try to better understand what's mastery in perfumery. Bravo Aurelien Guichard!

delphine67
delphine67

Like ajablue says the topnotes are smelling to me very identical to Chanels number 5. The same aldehydes. But the dry down of Baghari is deeper and warmer.Like there are more spices added to it. A nice scent I have to try it again though coz I had smellt to many perfumes before to get a good impression

AjaBlue
AjaBlue

Wow! So surprised no one has compared this with Chanel No.5 yet! To me, it is just so, so, so, soooooo similar. Almost identical. I would really love to smell them together...one on each wrist and make the comparison. To me, she is a stroke of genius...but she is a dark, dark, girl. I don't exactly know where I'd where this one, either. Maybe to the Opera, or to a fancy formal dinner...maybe the library? Wherever it would be, it would have to be formal and bitingly cold outside. Interesting in the best of ways. She intrigues me.

Natalie467
Natalie467

This is the most prettiest perfume I own. Yes, pretty. Powdery, amber-y, mixed with creamy vanilla and floral, I also get a hint of spice from this. It's soft and feminine, it expresses an innocent and sultry scent, if that makes any sense. Beautiful..........

I'm impressed with Baghari's silliage and longevity, they're nearly outstanding-I put some on at 3pm, it's 2am and I've changed my shirt and still get a whiff here and there.

adele l
adele l

Have to say the visa reissue is downright beautiful as is fracas (in small doses)..but baghari is unwearable with my chemistry. It seems the aldehydes override everything- couldn't detect any flowers at all.

To my nose, Robert Piguet BAGHARI is a cauldron of molten amber. Viscous, topaz amber, amber, and more amber. Every other note is overwhelmed by the amber. The flowers, the wood, even the musk are all saturated with amber, their distinctive auras utterly incapable of breaking through the thick golden layer in which they have become encased. Varnished with amber they are!

That said, if you're in the mood for amber, this composition may be a better choice than BBW SENSUAL AMBER. On a day like today, overcast with drizzling rain, BAGHARI suits me just fine. Probably too ponderous for a bright sunny day...

---
Update: I am now wearing a fresh sample from the house which smells very different to my nose and makes me suspect that there may have been a decanting error involved in the production of my first sample. Or else it was just old?

NatWeb
NatWeb

The world's most expensive insect repellent. It's beautifully executed, I get a bright sharp citrus that manages to avoid being sterile but compared to the excellence of Piquet's Visa or Fracas it's a poor cousin. The aldehydes are really strong on me and I don't get the rose or vanilla at all. Makes me think of the icy Dior or Chanel fragrances. One thing all scents from this brand have in common is they melt really well into the skin.

Baghari makes me think of a really attractive guy that just isn't your type - you know he's good looking, he's just not for you. Baghari isn't my kind of fragrance but it doesn't mean I can't respect it.

mymlan
mymlan

Baghari is a bombshell fragrance. It has qualities similar to Chanel Coco but is less classy and sophisticated. Instead it is more wild, dangerous and yet utterly feminine. It is free spirited and self-confident.

The bold opening is a classic bergamot start, but I find it darker than usual. Already there is aldehydes similar with the ones in Chanel N°5, but I find this opening more aromatic and almost a bit masculine. Surprisingly there is also a gourmand note of candied orange playing along in the top.

However, soon enough it calms down to become a more soft and feminine fragrance with rose and jasmine flourishing in the heart. But here is also notes of vetiver and powdery iris that prevents this fragrance of going in a soapy or overly sweet direction. These notes are later enforced with amber, musk and vanilla and a lonley violet. And in all it developes into a lovley base.

This is my new crush that surprised me a lot. I'm not used to wear dark, aromatic fragrances. But I love this combination of edgy aromatic top, soft creamy floral heart and powdery base.

As said before it has bombshell qualities but without beeing obvious about it, and I like that a lot. If leather or skanky animalistic notes were added to this beauty I think it would have detroyed the spirit of it.

Baghari is outside conventions and expectations: everything unforseen can happen. It is a fragrance for the free spirited and self confident, and its up to the wearer to create her or his own destiny. Even if it's just for the closest hour ahead.

rithacha
rithacha

Omigod omigod omigod I've never smelled something like this before and it's a delicious combination! The notes listed combine in such a totally unexpected way that I suspect there is some wizardry involved.

Baghari goes on like hospital sterilizing alcohol. Don't let that put you off - after about five minutes, it morphs into aldehydes like never before. Normally in an aldehydic composition, the aldehydes stand out in an obvious way. You immediately recognize that sparkling soapy synthetic quality, so foreign from the florals and woods that ground it. I find that in Baghari IT ISN'T LIKE THAT. The aldehydes don't just float on top of the florals like oil with water; they are part of the bouquet. It's difficult to explain. Imagine dry woods/moss and powdery florals in a typical organic combination. Instead of slapping aldehydes on top, Baghari laces them throughout. In the end, it produces something neither woody nor floral nor aldehydic. It's this bizarre fusion that I can't compare with anything else out there, and it's wonderful.

In my imagination, Baghari is what Queen Mab would smell like. There is the forest she walks in, vibrant woods and deep purple flowers unfolding in the secret hours of the night. But infused in this forest scene is the oneiric and eerie. This transcendent quality brings the trees to life and the sylphs out from hiding behind the violets. But don't linger, or you might be turned into a nag or put to eternal slumber.

For me, the first four hours or so are the best part - the magic doesn't last forever. The flowers fall out first, the mossy woods fade; in the end the sweet ambery vanilla is the only survivor. But press your nose against your skin and there's something . . . otherworldly . . . about it. Baghari was there.

alianeblue
alianeblue

Grandma asked me long time ago if I knew about a perfume called Baghari by Robert Piguet. At the moment I didn’t know about it, I just knew Fracas; she told me that it was an exquisite scent that she used to wear in her 20’s. Suddenly two years ago, I went to Neiman Marcus and found this fragrance by accident. I was so excited that I had found my grandma’s fave scent that I didn’t even try it before buying it. So when I got to her to give her such surprise, she opened it with her sparkling eyes, put some drops on her wrist and smelled it deeply. Then she was” this is not it, I can’t believe this scent has been reformulated for the worst, this is a rip off” I don’t doubt that the original version was better than the new Baghari 2006, and like she didn’t want it and found it offensive I kept it and started wearing it from time to time. I can’t say much about it because on me it’s just roses and more roses; I can’t id any other notes, but it works for me when I feel nostalgic and start listening to Pavarotti.

iMaverick
iMaverick

Soft, yet effluent and diffusive. Baghari begins powdery yet bright with notes of neroli, bergamot and powdery aldehydes. As it develops, the powdery note deepens with violets, iris, rose and jasmine, with unmistakable sweet and smooth amber notes. Musk and vanilla becomes apparent in the drydown.

To compare another scent like this, I would compare it to a quiet and reserved L'Heure Bleue devoid of notes of heliotrope and less spicy notes. Baghari is calming, romantic, and seductive without smelling overtly sexual. I've read that this new incarnation of Baghari is less animalic but retains its reserved elegance from the 1950s period.

Aeternitas
Aeternitas

A very mature fragrance. Reminds me of something a rude or arrogant older woman would smell like. Smells to me like old, dried citrus/floral potpourri and dull lipstick. It's nice once it dries down, but at first it smells unpleasant with the aldehydes. I smell a mix of bergamot and bulgarian rose, with aldehydes. I liked Fracas, but I don't like this too much. I would prefer it in winter time.