Designers » R S » Chypre Fruity « Groups

Femme Rochas Rochas for women
dislike

I have it: 791 I had it: 282 I want it: 437 My signature: 11

leather
Femme Rochas Rochas for women Pictures Femme Rochas Rochas for women Pictures Femme Rochas Rochas for women Pictures Femme Rochas Rochas for women Pictures

Edmond Roudnitska made Femme Rochas in Paris during the War in 1943. Femme represents a real masterpiece with its warmth of woman’s gentle skin and dense note of plum. The composition is based on the harmony of aldehides, fruit, wood, and musk notes. Dryness of chypre notes is softened by the purple plum. The richness of tropical fruits is followed by rich scent of sandal. Femme Rochas is a splendid perfume which is not aimed for every person, he is more into a femme fatale. The perfume was reconstructed in 1989 and has become lighter and gourmand thanks to the peach note in harmony with plum. Base notes are: bergamot, peach, pear, rose, an immortal, jasmine, ylang-ylang, grey amber, musk, oaken moss and sandal. The lovely bottle retails woman curves.

Apricot Plum Cinnamon Peach Bergamot Brazilian Rosewood Lemon

Mirabella

Femme Rochas Fragrance Reviews

smellysmellerson
smellysmellerson

On my skin it starts out as an upper cut to the face of leather, plum, and wood dessert with spice and boozy vanilla raining down on it. Then comes the herbal camphory men's shavey kind of smell(herbs, flowers, benzoin, spice). The cumin then sings a long raunchy bombastic love song for 10 to 15 minutes.
Femme has greenness that stays there far in the background for the duration of wear. I don't find it very soapy at all and if it is soapy that only lasts for about 15 mins. On me this gives a fresh effect for the duration of wear.
The dry down is smoky, leathery, and oakmossy on my skin with bright(dominant creamy peach) and dark fruit(secondary jammy plum) in the background supporting with help from the flowers, amber and spice. The benzoin adds cuddliness.

This is a scent for a woman who doesn't care what you think. She has her own vision. Dark from start to finish, dripping with wanton lust; it evokes the weak knees and clenched jaw of wrenching physical desire and it's conclusion. Femme also speaks to the bitterness that one might feel when that lust becomes more and perhaps one sided.

Tiger84

I have to update, because now I'm wearing more generous sprays, and Rochas Femme is unfolding into an intoxicating personal skin scent, like the scent of the skin and body of a beautiful woman amplified. They chose the name perfectly, this is the scent of a beautiful woman indeed. This is what I imagine that magical elixir in the Perfume - Story of a Murderer was...

Similar to Mitsouko, but not as pale, it has more substance, and evokes the colour and sensation of human skin.

I imagine this being the scent of someone like Helen Mirren, beautiful at any age. Or Kate Winslet in Quills, a healthy, pure young lady.

Very intimate scent. Rochas Femme is a masterpiece, get it while you can.

SuzieQue$1
SuzieQue$1

Sorry to see this classic has been re-vamped.

Tiger84

I hope my order arrives soon because this one is getting rare around here, and I don't want to miss it. I hesitated about Eau de Rochas and by the time I made my mind to buy it they were out (who the hell buys stuff like that these days, other than me?)

Hope to be able to update soon. If there is anything to add to what has already been said.

Update: Picked it up today!
I love smelling the juice right after spraying (which most people highly dislike but I find it fascinating and also intoxicating, probably due to the alcohol... also my nose is not that refined yet and sometimes I can only smell the quality difference right after spraying, cheap scents that are wonderful in the drydown tend to be messy after spraying and well constructed ones with good ingredients smell intriguing from the first second, at least in my experience).
After spraying this is a wonder, powerful dried fruits fighting for dominance. Then it turns pale and soapy which scared me, oh not another Arpege! But the soap is just another passing stage, and it soon reminds me to Mitsouko.... but a version that lasts. This is a new bottle so I smell the cumin, it is lovely. I have to keep exploring it because I'm very unreliable in the first sniffs, I need several occasions to really know a scent.

So far it seems the perfect mix of a personal skin scent and something with substance.

Yet another update: Holy shit, next time I will have to spray more to get a proper drydown... because now I can't decide if my natural smell is this damn hot, or the perfume is this sexy!

Ilovemegigi
Ilovemegigi

Found on clearance for 15 bucks .... Wore today not bad but heard it's better in the winter.

framorena
framorena

I love this perfume so much! It starts like most of old-fashioned fragrances, but I find that peach and plum make it different, raising it to a more modern level, while leather and oakmoss make it keep the elegance it has been imagined for.
If you like old-fashioned perfumes like me, don' t miss this ezample of those, even 'cause it' s very cheap by now.

Nikkafragrance
Nikkafragrance

Femme is my grandmother"s favourite so I bought it for her birthday. The first time I smelled it I was like: Oh, this makes me dizzy. But later I changed my mind. Femme is such a sexy fragrance, but don't spray it too much.

PLUMPIE
PLUMPIE

Too much peach and powder for my chemistry to handle - I can handle powder but peach has a tendency to smell over-ripe and sweaty on me I also don't like the sweet vanilla/chocolate notes.

Chilly28r
Chilly28r

This scent has this melty, spicy, sugary, and caramel-y power combination that says, "yes, a confident and sexy woman is behind this perfume" :0)

gfp
gfp

i have the new version of edp in a mini (seems that the full bottles are only edt). the scent is v-e-r-y nice maybe too nice. my husband likes it. but even though it comes from a family of chypre and belongs to a pantheon of legendary perfumes, there seems to be something missing: not like montana the peu or paloma picaso it lacks the wild vibe. not like bill blass for women or la perla-la perla it lacks the freshness of those scents. it lacks the mossy ingredient which ,for example ,makes Mitsouko so interesting. it is a scent of a polite ,well bahaved and well mannered lady in her fourties attending a formal event. and when you look on the year that this perfume was first presented (1943) you understand it fits it's era and what was then considered as being a fine lady. it suits the mother of the the bride/groom .it is not overpowering and the sillage is o.k
edit: after 2 days :yes,the smell is wonderfull (do not stuff your nose to close to your wrist. smell it few cm. away :-) ). BUT almost no sillage and staying power, at least on me, is very poor. i will try this again during winter

Alexir101
Alexir101

This was my mother's signature and because of this I only wore once many years ago on my first wedding day. She only wore the perfume essence and it suited her beautifully. I thought it was the best scent in the world. Today I received the reformulated version from an online purchase. One spritz and there I was a young child again walking behind my mother in the moment. Yes a little lighter with the peach added to the original formula - Rochas You have lost nothing and added to a beautiful fragrance that endures. I am in love. This will now be my signature also. A big thing as my sig has been L'heure Bleue. This fragrance is for day and night and is just Beautiful. Tres bon. Sexy and memorable. Men love this. Women love it also. Ticks all the boxes.

SamTheRiddler
SamTheRiddler

I wanted to love this - so many of the notes are really appealing to me. I couldn't get past the strong cumin note on me though. It smelt terrible everytime I tried it!

QueenBee53
QueenBee53

Femme was the signature scent of film icon Mae West, it's a sexy scent that means business!

danaklein
danaklein

I think of this as the primal version of Tresor, it smells elegant and leathery, while peachy and green.

Izumee
Izumee

It does have an old fashioned feels to it, but in a most sophisticated and refined, classy manner. The scent itself is sooo goood.

rasputin1963
rasputin1963

To me, the masterstroke of the new (1989 Olivier Cresp) version is its highly aromatic head: an after-shave-y blend of spicy French lavender, menthol, camphor and a lime-peel-y frankincense. This bestows an almost masculine head to the traditional blend of rosy, spicy floralcy. The 1944 FEMME used to seem self-enclosed, and inwardly drawing; this new version is all extroversion. The chypre base is quite understated-- no bitterness here at all-- and indeed FEMME may be the *sweetest* chypre I know of (though it is not quite gourmand). Indeed, perfume maven Luca Turin said that men could wear it, and I surely do. It's the ambergris and cumin that gives FEMME its more "suggestive" qualities, and with a kind of "red-hots" sweet cinnamon going on, the whole effect is like the nicest, friendliest, gamest hooker-with-a-heart-of-gold you ever met. FEMME may be my ultimate idea of a woman's "sex-in-a-bottle" fragrance. The woman who wears this mustn't complain if she is the object of all sorts of male attention; this scent just begs for "luvvin'". Not for church, the office, or even the opera; FEMME is a great "boudoir" fragrance... a "bombshell" number. It is the diametric opposition to any new housecleaner-like celebuscent coming out today-- and long may it reign thus. Highly recommended.

sandrajj
sandrajj

Finally, I've found "my signature scent"~~!! Loved Mitsouko for decades, but only for winter. Here it is spring, and am just experiencing the 1st hour wearing Femme by Rochas (still love Madame Rochas!).
So far, this is just incredibly beautiful, even the initial spritz (lightly on my wrists)
To be continued in a few hours...

lirael00
lirael00

Oh, how I love this one! It's so easy for me to love spicy perfumes, I don't why butI find them really hard to resist. And Femme is now on my best of the best perfumes list. I get a lot of warm cinnamon and peach going here, after an hour or so I start smelling leather. I can describe Femme as something sparkling spicy. And the lasting power is amazing, stays on me for hours and hours. Femme to me smells like someone captured the early sun rays, put them in a bottle mixed them with sand and added some oriental spices. Gorgeous scent!

Cocoagogo
Cocoagogo

Oh, Femme! You dirty, dirty girl! Naughty in the best sense of the word. She is the embodiment of Guerlain's comment that perfume should smell like the underside of his mistress. Gorgeous, musky and smells like downstairs in all the right ways. Not a scent for the office, unless of course....

butfly23
butfly23

I know this isn't the same as Magie Noire but it has the same effect on me. Sorry I think it is headache inducing. An immediate nose turn away. Over the years women have sat next to me on the train to work with this & I have had to cover my nose with my hand. I'm not to much into what time of the day a perfume should be worn but this is not an AM spritz.
Please keep it for the evening.

zumrut
zumrut

It's definitely very much like Mitsouko; I have just received this scent this week and just used it today so this is my first impression. It seems to be one of my favourites.

Lilah Veil
Lilah Veil

EDIT - March 2014

After my adoring novel of a review which I do not recant, sadly, I have found I cannot pull the cumin note in this fragrance. I love everything about this scent except the cumin because my skin cannot stand it and neither can anyone around me. It just doesn't work for me. Femme may not be Rochas Femme without it, but how much I would adore this fragrance without it. For those who can wear the cumin, all I can say is you LUCKY femmes! I'm sad. :(

Wow! Another humdinger of a blind buy based on reviews here. Oh, I love you all. Thank you! I'm in love or lust. Just got this and ADORING it already. Barely into the dry down and there is already a serious romance or, um.. escapade blooming. Categorized as a fruity chypre which is correct, but can easily be classified as a fruity or spicy oriental. Femme Rochas is a spicy, boozy, fruity, overtly sexy fragrance. I would not recommend this for women who are shy, conservative or strictly into clean white florals and aquatics. Oh, no ma'am. This one is for the shameless... and right up my alley for the right time I choose.

The "body odor" in below review is the smell of cumin without a doubt. Not listed as an ingredient but strongly present, maybe a mix of the others is pulling a strong cumin note. I have always recognized pure cumin as smelling of body odor such as musky armpits and vaguely reminiscent of the natural scent of a woman's nether region several hours after bathing and sweating or... bow-chicka-bow-bow. On me, that dries down fast but (gladly) remains enough to blend beautifully with the rest of the fruit basket and floral bouquet. The cumin is mainly a fleeting top note on my skin, along with the leather that initially scared the hell out of me on first spray. Yes, initially it goes on or... comes off as "Horror! This smells of cheap debauchery!" ... (and I am grinning as I type this as I just LOVE that naughty aura *heh*) Give it at least 15 minutes to begin it's gorgeous, rich, glamorous and blatantly aphrodisiac appeal. It literally undresses. The cumin, leather and earthy oak moss notes hum a silent but screaming "Let's get down and dirty" tune and confuse the psyche with the bold, yet strangely soft and absolutely gorgeous symphony of fruits and florals. Despite it's insanely animalistic character, it is not a loud blend. Mesmerizing. Goddess!

There is nothing, nothing cheap smelling at all about Rochas Femme. There is also nothing trendy or modern about it. Due to the commercial scents most noses are accustomed to, this scent may repel simply because they (we) are accustomed to clean, crisp, bright flowers or candy. (Heaven forbid and please make it stop!) Femme is nowhere in the category of common mall and department store scents and flavors. If you love those do not even reach for Rochas unless you are ready for a complete new overhaul and aspect of fragrance. This is old school femme fatale all the way sans musty or powdery anything. I am so glad to discover yet another REAL perfume that smells like a real woman rather than the overabundance of child/teen jelly bean-cotton candy frags. This poison is an adder in a bottle that screams "I am woman hear me roar and I am on the hunt." (or at least be taken very seriously) It is raw sex appeal and opulence at the same time but a sparing spritz would also be fittingly in place at church and I am serious. It is beautiful! I refer to it as poison because someone may get hurt while wearing this. It does reek of that possibility due to the leather/cumin combo which makes for an oddly sinister, wildly sexual mix that still remains classy. You've been warned. *laughing* Femme is pure beauty, mischief and danger and I LOVE IT! Woo hoo! *Gonna put my deep, red lips and thigh highs on* Fabulous times a million! I bow before Rochas for this one. Ssssssizzle

reborn
reborn

this is pure body odor on me.I fell very bad when I sniff it.Anyone else feels the same way?

ЗояЪ
ЗояЪ

The difficulties of translation will not allow to say about my admiration for this fragrance ! He is wonderful ! Really want a vintage )))

houzi
houzi

I've been really curious about this perfume having read quite a few rave reviews - it seems Femme is an all-time favourite fruity chypre of many people. There also seems to be a lot of controversy surrounding the (dis)likeness of the new and old formula. I can't say anything about that, but my impressions are based on the 'vintage' version in parfum de toilette concentration, I guess it must be whatever was available before the latest reformulation.

My excitement was tinted with a little apprehension before I first put it on, not surprising given my at times unmerited tendency to be sceptical when something is just so widely admired. So far I wore it only for a day but I have to say that all the praise is absolutely justified. Smelled for the first time the scent was delightful; then, as hours went by, it pulled me in more and more.

If I had to describe it in just one word I would say it's charming. Maybe it's the power of suggestion triggered by the name but as the scent unfolds it really does seem to envelop me in an inviting feminine aura.

It almost makes me feel like I'm that woman with the most beautiful soft peachy skin you sometimes notice and just can't take your eyes off her delightful beauty. She's never deliberate or overdone, her complexion glowing with natural radiance, yet she always stands out. Everybody including you is somehow drawn into her proximity, more or less consciously, so much so that you don't even bother to give your partner a stinky look when his eyes keep wandering off in her direction:)

The fruity accord of plum, peach and apricot is simply gorgeous. There isn't any sugar in it, all the gentle sweetness comes entirely from the ripe luscious fruit and spice. I'm not a fan of fruity perfumes: as the most popular genre of the recent years they've been done to death. But Femme is a completely different story. It's the only fruity fragrance I've come across that I truly enjoy. Power of a classic, I guess:)

Even though leather is my least appreciated note I don't even mind it here. It's noticeable but buried down so nicely that it actually adds an interesting touch to the whole composition. The chypre undercurrent works very well with the fruity foreground.

I've been really impressed with the timelessness of this fragrance. Some chypre classics, though undisputably beautiful, may smell a little dated today, but Femme could pass off as an exceptionally well done sophisticated contemporary scent in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure at this point I was only able to scratch the surface of this perfume's charm and complexity; it just feels like one of those scents that will keep on revealing new secrets long after you've first met them. I'm a fan now - I can definitely see Femme in my future.

KaseyC
KaseyC

Weird, I cannot get the oakmoss note in this one and I'm happy about it because I don't quite enjoy the overwhelming oakmoss note in my blind-buy Molyneux pour Femme. Anyway, in this one, I can identify notes of cinnamon, cloves and rosewood. It leaves in the air a nice warm spicy scent. Again, since I'm a fan of fruity scent, I find this warm spicy scent very different and special to my nose.

MLK
MLK

This perfume is timeless. At first sniff, I get beautiful plum, chypre. It is a bit strong at first (if you over do it) however, once it settles, it is a soft, creamy sandal that lasts for some time. This fragrance is so hard to find in Australian stores that when I did find it in a small fragrance boutique I bought the last two bottles they had in stock. Reading that they have reformulated this fragrance for 2013 (an all the negative reviews of the new one)...I thought I'd stock up on this. I am really getting into Edmond Roudnitska's fragrances and I am looking forward to sampling some of his other gems as he really was ahead of his time as a perfumer.
This is a real classic.

A great punch of chypre in my face.. but after 30 minutes I start to smell other notes - Oakmoss, Clove, Rosewood and Leather. Aggressive in start but after a while it calms down to a very, very nice scent. No sugarsweet notes - and I like that! A scent for an adult, grown-up woman. Elegant, chic and sophisticated. A lot of oakmoss, clove, leather and spices, almost a little bit unisex on my skin. Less is more - spray carefully or it will be thick and overwhelming in a not-nice-way. Very longlasting on my skin - over 15 hours. I can't detect any flowernotes at all in Rochas Femme.

Ett rejält slag av chypre rakt upp i ansiktet.. men efter en halvtimme så börjar andra noter komma fram. Ekmossa, Kryddnejlika, Rosewood och Läder. Aggressiv till att börja med men efter en stund så mjuknar den ner till en väldigt, väldigt mysig doft. Inga sockersöta doftnoter och det gillar jag! En doft för en vuxna kvinnan. Elegant, chic och sofistikerad....Mycket ekmossa, läder och kryddor, nästan lite unisex på min hud. lIte är lagom - spreja försiktigt annars blir den tjock och kvalmig på ett obehagligt sätt. Otroligt hållbar på min hud -över 15 timmar. Jag kan inte känna några blomnoter alls i Rochas Femme.

RozaMoisevna

As far as I know, the 2013 version is a totally different perfume, with some hints of the original one.
I haven't smelled the pre 80's version, but judging from what I have heard, the 2001 version is an ''unofficial'' recreation of the original...

Scout
Scout

I bought this EDT in 2013 but the bottle I have looks like the one pictured here, so I'm assuming I have whatever old/new version rather than the brand new 2013 version.
My summary in one phrase or less:
Chanel No. 5 mixed with Youth Dew.
Period.

RozaMoisevna

I recently heard that the modern version starting from 2001 is the closest to the original one.

I have worn this perfume for five decades. It is unique. There have been countless comments over the years, from both males and females, about how wonderful this fragrance is on me. The new version is not a patch on the original Femme, and I still cannot understand why Proctor and Gamble reformulated a perfume that was absolutely perfect. Please, will someone reformulate the new version back to the old version, pre-1989. To my great delight I have a collection of perfume, edp and edt going back to the original formulation, but my stash is now running low. I have just been in touch with a wonderful parfumier in London, Roullier White, who sent me a collection of samples that might replace my beloved Femme. So far I am impressed.

HeidiLynn
HeidiLynn

I received a carded sample of this in a swap; because of its provenance, I suspect it is the 1989 reformulation.

Oakmoss is a note that can become overwhelming and headache-inducing for me, so I approached this with some caution. I was pleasantly surprised at the character and wearability of this grande dame of the fragrance world. It may be blasphemy to say, but I think this is the great-grandmother of my adored Ellen Tracy-Ellen Tracy; the initial plumminess is similar in both, and both contain oakmoss--but where Femme keeps the oakmoss, ET evolves into a sandalwood-rich scent that is much warmer and more casual; Femme stays elegant and a tad aloof.

The plum in the beginning stayed for about an hour, the oakmoss became prominent from 2-4 hours, and then started to give increasingly stronger pulses of cinnamon and cloves. I think I'm also getting the woody notes and a touch of the leather, with something floral in the background (my nose is not great at always distinguishing notes). It is fabulous the way Femme transitions and evolves.

This scent has been around for so long, it really is a great grandmother perfume--I imagine anyone smelling it could say "it reminds me of _____", a favorite scent...just like we would say "he has his grandmother's eyes, and his father's chin". It was great to be able to partake of this piece of perfume history!

jtd
jtd

Rochas Femme would be interesting if only for the fact that it is a great battle-axe of perfumery.  It originated during a time of rations and war, it has survived a number of  formulations, and it's survived trend and fashion, no mean thing. But Femme is interesting other reasons. It is an early work of the the noted 20th-century perfumer Edmond Roudnitska, and it is an early and stellar example of the dark fruity chypre, one of the best styles of 20th-century perfumery.

From castoreum to methyl ionone (the chemical Roudnitska apparently made use of when he found it in a factory during WW II) to oakmoss, Femme has had its ingredient list maimed over the decades. I can’t say how much the current model resembles the original, which was apparently quite a dark delicacy. But what I own is a parfum de toilette in a one ounce round bottle (the "Byzance" bottle) that may or may not be from the 1990s.  I've also had a few carded samples from an old perfume shop of what was labeled eau de parfum.  They smell similar enough to my nose.  I suspect Femme's saving grace has been it's dark, boozy plum note. It is enhanced by a cumin note that I believe was ostensibly added to replace animalic elements as they became unavailable.  Here Femme is luckier than many of the other animalic perfumes to have been reformulated.  The woody cumin works fits the darkness of the fruit. Used strictly as a spurious animalic, a cumin note is generally unsuccessful. Reformulations that use this sort of crude bait and switch are one of the reasons reformulation is so demonized.

Look at the great mid-20th century chypres, with their great lung-buckets full of oakmoss and other toxins.  If you line up Miss Dior, Ma Griffe, Miss Balmain & Jolie Madame the vintage and current models, it's hard to see the modern bottles as anything other than a fall from greatness. Femme and the other fruity chypres of the time appear to have enough grit and chutzpah to survive the criminalization of oakmoss. To my nose Femme as well as Guerlain Mitsouko and the underestimated Y by YSL, are in better shape currently than the others mentioned above.

A well-done reformulation certainly helps, but Femme's other advantage is context.  Forget the old chypres, Femme could be seen today as a smart, boozy version of the generally vapid fruity floral. Femme fits right in line with Badgley Mischka by Badgely Mischka.

Femme isn't what she used to be, but who among us is?  I hope I can find a context in which I'll still shine as she does at her age.   She's a tough old broad and I'm still honored to wear la Vieille Femme.

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

I hadn't smelled Femme since circa '78 (I would have been 10 years old) until one hour ago when I received a vintage decant!

I bought it for my Mum's 70th birthday as it used to be one of her favourites before reformulation, and she experienced all the disappointment of a favourite perfume changed beyond recognition, not worth buying in her opinion.

So today is no ordinary perfume decant or perfume sampling session for me. And I'll announce something most of you here know already: The human nose is a wondrous and complex instrument!

Straight away, I recognise the top notes of Femme: fruity, plummy, spicy, mouthwatering. Within a few minutes that delicious luxury kid glove/refined leather appears (Cuir de Russie's leather feels spartan in comparison).

What I'm waiting for next is the Chypre accord, and this is where I start to feel a little nervous - I detect a note of cumin (is that the stand-in chypre note of re-formulations I wonder?) But I'm relieved when the entire perfume swirls its combined notes around like wine in a crystal glass, then settles on my skin in beautiful harmony

There's no mistaking this is the original. Phew! My scent memory of this is so intact, that I can even see exactly how this works on my skin in comparison to my Mum (and remember this memory is from the late 70s!). I wasn't one of those kids who tried on Mum's perfume, the thought never occurred to me as I was pretty individualist and explored my own perfume options in my later teens.

On me it's lighter and more delicate - all perfumes turn lighter and more delicate on me since my skin is fairly cool and dry, perfumes always have a touch of talcum-powder on me,on my Mum this becomes richer and the spices are calmer than on my skin. (Though of course the perfume might work differently on my Mum a few decades later)

But one thing's for sure, this is a proper, perfume. And another thing occurs to me, Rochas Femme makes Feminite du Bois seem like an unfinished version of Femme. (Having said that, Feminite de Bois's appeal is maybe all about its simpler more woody transparency). But honestly, it's like all the lovely facets of FdB have been refined, tweaked and perfected into a more complex and elegant version in the form of Femme. (I'm also getting the touch of liquorice mentioned in a comment below)

To me though, this is my Mum's perfume, and I'll stick to the less complex Feminite du Bois for now. This is a very sophisticated scent - it still smells like a perfume designed for an occasion rather than something for everyday.

I can't wait to present this to Mum on her birthday!

Later edit: She loves it, absolutely happy and is looking to buy up more vintage Femme. Great! Alternatively, Rochas could study the original formula, re-create it as a limited edition with a warning 'contains photo sensitive chemicals' and to hell with the restrictions. Oh I wish!

stormyla
stormyla

I have several vintage bottles of Femme from different eras and in different concentrations. Recently I wore the Parfum that I estimate to be from somewhere in the 60's to early 70's. Every time that I wear this fragrance the smell of vintage Mitsouko comes to mind.

I have to admit that I prefer vintage Femme to vintage Mitsouko. Femme is much warmer than Mitsouko and also sexier. I think of Mitsouko as a cool and aloof fragrance, whereas I find Femme to be warm and inviting.

The fruits, spices, woods, leather and musks in this scent give it the most delicious warm spicy fragrant framework for the florals. Or should I call the florals the frame for the spicy heart? For me, this scent is not about the florals, they seem to be there to balance the other ingredients. Whatever the case, this is an intensely beautiful, alluring and very different fragrance. It is easy to see why it has been so popular for so long.

There is a lot of vintage Femme available at very reasonable prices. If you've never bought a vintage fragrance, this might be a good one to try. If you don't like it, you can always sell it as the vintage fragrance demand is increasing daily.

RugosaAlba
RugosaAlba

Review for Rochas Femme Rochas EDT , of 2000-2013 manufacturing, new sealed box.
Rochas Femme Rochas has one important undeniable quality: it makes every single female fragrance smell gorgeous in comparison.
At best “it conjures images” at least of one pair of leathery feet stuffed in front of my nose.
If this “fragrance” would be called “Female dressing rooms of the traveling circus”, if such exist or “Dressing room of the cheap cabaret, where I have never been minus cigarettes ” or “Never cleaned female locker room, where I have never changed ”, or “Collective ambiance of the female dressing rooms, which I avoided, on the busy season for Macy's when the carpeting change is due” or “Revenge of the Cleaners ”
or you name it, then it would be an honest representation for the potential customer and quite fair name of the “fragrance".
But I am afraid, there is much more to it than just innocent misnaming. I would think Rochas Femme is the essence of Edmond Roudnitska when not forced to pretend to loving women.
I consider the action of naming this “Femme” by Edmond Roudnitska an epitome of misogyny.
Edgar Dega’s so called lightly “misogynistic “ female images look to me as female worshiping in comparison.
I think if one throws more incense and spice and vanilla, one might end up with “Opium” pour femme.
Now I need some time to recuperate, retune and realign my nose.

OR, there is another way to look at it:
the reformulated version of "Femme" is so drastically different from the original "Femme" and it's such an utterly bad fragrance, that poor Edmond Roudnitska's name should be removed or there should be completely separate page for reviewing the modern reformulation here on Fragrantica, because people with good noses feel deceived by other reviewers musing about how great "Femme" actually is.

9-na
9-na

Vintage. On my skin it is sunkissed milfoil, burdock in bloom, clover, which is also blooming, a bit of liquorice with lemon rind. And through all of it come the roses, growing, dewy, beautiful. I quite enjoy wearing this scent.

scentiment
scentiment

Found a mini bottle of this, vintage (probably pre-1955, as the box says Marcel Rochas), at a flea market. It was in its original box and I'm fairly certain pretty much all the juice was left in the bottle.

Flea market finds are always a gamble. This was one in MY FAVOUR. The scent is a fresh as new. It's sweet in a sophisticated way with a old shool powdery note as its underpinnings. I'm certain there is some sort of spice there as well, is that the clove note perhaps? There is also that specific note that I don't quite know what it is, sweet and almost balmy, And I'm fairly certain Kenzo L'elephant has exactly the same note, or something that smells very similar.

Now I don't know if Femme has been reformulated since the fifties; most likely yes. But in any case, the version I have is really a classic.

DecoElegance
DecoElegance

I finally bought this after a long and inexplicable delay. It's been on my "want" list for years, and after reading the reviews here late one night, I was inspired to move forward with my purchase. Mitsouko is one of my staple fragrances; I always own a bottle. I had some concerns that the two would be so alike as to not merit having them both. I am happy to report that while there are resonances of Mitsouko in Femme, she maintains her own integrity. I won't rehearse their various intersections and departures, as I think others have done that quite well (super helpful in making my decision!). I will instead review the life of the fragrance on my skin. This is for the EDP (current formulation)...

My skin amps woods and chypres. I tend to sour florals, and I can't do "sweet," as it's been interpreted by most contemporary gourmands. So this scent is like a dream come true for me.

In terms of longevity, it's quite robust for about four hours and then, as the fruitier top notes burn off, I get spicey (rosemary and cumin), ambery musk. The sillage is fairly moderate- then again, I also wear EL Azuree, so everything seems moderate. As the scent wears on, it tends to linger close to the skin, which just simply makes the experience of wearing Femme all the more intimate.

In terms of scent development, I get leathery, boozy plum with cumin waiting in the wings for about the first five minutes or so. The leather kind of settles into a dusty oakmoss smell, and then I get a really rich peach with cumin for a good hour or so. The fruits disappear completely, and the scent gets muskier after it's been on two hours or so, and then the rosemary and amber make their appearances. By the fourth hour, the cumin is still around but less pronounced.

I want to be clear that the cumin note is very difficult to describe. It's carefully constellated with the other notes, and on my skin, it doesn't smell like what is in my spice cabinet.

You will likely get compliments on this one. The woman on the elliptical next to me at the gym leaned over and told me that I smelled "marvelous," which is saying something considering I'd been on the machine for an hour. My mechanic told me that I smelled like the backseat of his car. He's a skeeze, so I assume he meant the sex he's having- or remembers having (he looks like he moonlights in an REO Speedwagon cover band)- on the leather interior of his perfectly preserved trans am. I could see how Femme could be triggering in that way.... Lastly, my dad asked if I would make him a decant. My father is what started my scent obsession, and if he approves or if it at least sparked his curiosity, Femme must be a winner!

piahellgren
piahellgren

This is sex, beauty, love and life in a bottle! I never get tired of this. I am by myself right now and I scent myself with this and all of a sudden I am not lonely anymore! It is SO warm, sultry, intelligent and also somewhat edgy. Strange and intoxicating, deep, yet never cloying. First I smell greenery, almost stubble, mixed with lightly burnt woods and darkened fruit, too ripe, yet not bad. The oakmoss is there from the beginning together with the cumin and the plum and pear. I don´t find the jasmin NICE as in many scents, nor do I find it synthetic like in others- I find it sultry, mysterious, real, challenging. Femme wraps itself around me, around my senses. It may be the best perfume ever made together with Armani Original, Cristalle by Chanel and Liz Taylor´s White Diamonds.

VeeNVegas
VeeNVegas

I have such mixed feelings about this perfume. For the first 30-40 min of spraying it I get a strong scent of Mexican food (cumin) mixed with a nice fruity scent underneath. After that it becomes something really beautiful and woody, but then changes into the very "personal" scent of a woman, or the smell of sheets in the morning.
I keep going back to this one, hoping that I will smell less of the cumin in the opening notes and only getting the beautiful parts of this fragrance.

laantjebanaantje
laantjebanaantje

I adore Femme.
I adore how it is never sweet, but lush and fruity and deep, rich and utterly delicious.
I adore the bracing burst of spices in the opening that give a dryness to the perfume.
I adore the fruits. Ripe, steeped in spiced wine, but somehow never juicy, never edible. As in Mitsouko, the impression of peach SKIN is very present. But richer, warmer.
I adore the deep, dark, almost damp shadow that is cast over this perfume by the (synthetic) oakmoss.
Above all, I adore the leathery base that must be the sexiest thing I have ever smelled. Warm, inviting, never harsh. Sultry and dark. Sexy, but in an intelligent way.
I just adore Femme.

Barbarasvc
Barbarasvc

ONE WORD: M A S T E R P I E C E !!!!!!!

jht4060
jht4060

One of these days when I am feeling particularly secure in my searing masculinity, I will completely throw over the idea that scents marketed to women should be shunned by a man. I got a sample and then a full bottle of Rochas Femme and I love it. I suppose it is fairly feminine, and with that name and the curvaceous bottle I can't even pretend otherwise. It is the lush fruity top and middle that charm me; the plum, peach, and citrus notes aren't simply fresh and fruity, they have a rich overripe tone that is unusual and beautiful. Maybe it is cumin that gives the fruit that edge. The middle has quite a bit of white flower and clove mixed with the fruit, and then later on I could swear I get some immortelle, which I love. The base is rich and elegant, with a nice balance of oakmoss, amber, sandalwood, and the fading middle notes.

There, I channeled my inner James Bond and admitted it - Femme name, curvy bottle, traditionally feminine notes and all - I adore you Rochas Femme! But I'll still have to work up to wearing you in public.

Vilnius
Vilnius

Not a patch on its former self - re-formulating classic fragrances rarely works (why do they do it?) Arpege is a disater, and Femme is another. Heavy, headache-inducing clash of fruit and spices, with hints of unwashed bodies. I had to throw away a favourite silk scarf because the smell never left it.

butterflyblue
butterflyblue

I bought this blind buy after reading so many reviews and asking for opinions "if" I should get it.

I am so glad that I did the inital spray is strong but nice, and the drydown is gorgeous, sultry. I get hints of it all day. I really love it!

Pooja37
Pooja37

Just beautiful, heady and gorgeous. Rochas Femme has an almost lyrical quality on my skin's chemistry. While I do agree that there is a distinct initial resemblance with Guerlain's masterpiece - Mitsouko, and am in love with both fragrances, there is a difference between the two in the dry down. Strangely, both have beautiful and yet distinctive dry downs.

Like a mother with two beloved children, it is impossible to choose a favorite, even if, in your heart, you really do have one ;)

alchimia72
alchimia72

This is for me the fruit of a wonderful swap with Iris_it.
I falled in love with it only sniffing from the bottle. The sweet plum note is amazingly mixed with the spicy note in a warm embrace. I absolutely love it. One of my beloved old gem of fragrance. Intriguing and intoxicating. Elegant. Not for all. Lucky me i love it.

tinkmoi
tinkmoi

I have 100ml EDT and wanted to love it. I get a lot of cinnamon and some rosewood then a vanilla, powdery fadeout. It had no staying power on me though it is very nice in a delicate way. A little too powdery for my taste, I prefer the absolu. I am hoping the warmer weather will improve my chemistry with it :(

wallywinthrop
wallywinthrop

This is beautiful and delicious. I bought this unsniffed online and couldn't be happier with it - it is definitely like a sweeter, creamier Mitsouko. The cumin note is nothing like Indian food at all, merely another hint of depth. It takes a minute for the best of the notes to emerge, but is well worth it. And it dries down to an almost candied powderiness if such a thing can be imagined. A wonderful update to Roudnitska's classic.

Awhile ago Angela from NowSmellThis wrote: "Chances are that four out of five of you who try Femme will reject it as old-fashioned, or even repulsive. But for that fifth person, Femme might lead to a whole different understanding of what perfume can be."

Who in the world are these four out of five??

amelie
amelie

Femme Rochas is beautiful, feminine with a warmest dry-down and so sensual, but dangerous, seductive!
It's a bit heavy, just like SpellBound, probably common notes of vanilla, apricot, benzoin, amber and carnation give that impression. And is so longlasting, a perfume of lust and eternal passion. If you love SpellBound you must love it, especially if you adore sillage of Amarige, it's a must have!

kabelaced
kabelaced

This, plus my dislike of Mitsouko, has made it clear to me now that I dislike chypres. From the moment I put this on, I am thinking it was the oakmoss that would not leave my nostrils. My skin smelled sour and pungent every time I would take a whiff, an hour in, a few hours in, and even the next day - all that was left was a soft patch of bitterness.

Nothing about this says "woman" to me, but maybe it's just my skin that's doing the talking...

suzrwin
suzrwin

I tend to prefer close-to-the-skin scents, so when I purchased Femme as a blind buy and spritzed it on, all I could think was, "oh no! what have I done???" It was just so darned BIG! However, I discovered her beauty when I misted the air in front of where I wanted to apply and either walked through the mist or waved my arms through it. The perfect demure application of what turned out to be an amazing scent. If you have some unloved Femme on your shelves, try it.

It is true that the cumin topnote verges just this side of skanky, but with a lightly misted application, it becomes less intrusive, as does the boozy fruit that Femme starts off with. It doesn't take too long for that to open the door to some gorgeous spicy florals warmed by amber, just a hint of patchouli, and a dash of vanil

Since I've altered my application method, I find this scent stunning and addictive.

Libran
Libran

I cannot wear this fragrance any more, I wore it years ago and loved it but I just bring the cumin out screaming and shouting! Awful! I am so sad because I love going down perfume memory lane! My skin must have changed over the years!

Bajar
Bajar

Let's say that a new guy enters your circle of friends. You have heard good things about him but something on his appearance makes you keep a distance from him. And then he starts a conversation with you and within five minutes you realize that not only he's a good guy (and cute as well) but the chemistry between you two is magical and that you're going to have a great time together.
That was the feeling when I tried Femme half an hour ago. The first sniff was like my mom was cooking "soutzoukakia" (greek food - meetballs with a generous dose of cumin) but there was something in the whole composition that made me waiting for something better. Six or seven minutes later the most elegant, mysterious, sexy and dangerous cloud was wrapping me and then my mind stopped working. Did I say dangerous?
I have the recent formula and I think it's more than beautiful. I can't even imagine how greater would be the vintage one. For the moment I'm going to enjoy my new fruity-chypre gem but I'll keep an eye out for a vintage on ebay.

Angelinapink
Angelinapink

I love this perfume. I come back to it time and time again. It is warm and sensuous, and so feminine. Ladylike yet sexy as hell!
It starts of flowery and fruity and dries down to warm and powdery. One of my favourite chypres. Timeless and elegant.

Christinasegal123
Christinasegal123

A wonderfully refined fragrance. I love the woody moss notes along with all the plum and peach. This was ablind buy and I am so thrilled!

Constantza
Constantza

...pour toutes les FEMMES qui aiment les hommes, qui aiment ...les FEMMES!

kimberlylizkennedy
kimberlylizkennedy

An other favorite of Carol Lombard.

emily7
emily7

Leathery and (at first) liquerish, fleshy plum.
Velvety, lush peach.
A soft but persistent cinnamon undertone. Oakmoss base.
Sensual and warm.
Quiet, close to skin yet very explicit.
Carnal, but far from vulgar.

The most authentic and mature declaration of love to a woman.

(vintage Parfum de Toillette)

gazelle
gazelle

Read TillyWave's review about Femme being Mitsouko's cousin, and I had to buy (blind). No regrets whatsoever. It does dry down on my skin like Mitsouko and I am ecstatic! I can wear these two when I want and spray however much I want.
I wasn't too keen on peach notes in the past, but just like Mitsouko grew on me very quickly, Femme is like welcoming an old friend. Not surprising, since chypres and I get along fairly well.
Next time I treat myself to Lady Godiva chocolates (Valentine's Day), I will spritz Femme to accompany the moment.

mereltje
mereltje

I really don't know what to think of this perfume..I bought a vintage miniature eau de toilette and tried it now for two times. But the first 10 minuits all I get is cumin, cumin and cumin. Later the cumin gets a little lighter but still it's not really my piece of cake...Maybe I give it a try again later...

silagelover
silagelover

This review is for the vintage Pdt version:
Wow, this is an amazing scent. The opening manages to be classy and restrained while still being slightly sweet and fruity. As it dries some delicate oak moss emerges and it becomes really rich and spicy. What is really interesting is that from far away femme smells mossy/powdery/soapy/smoky, but close up it smells spicy and sweet (sort of like a richer gucci accenti with oakmoss). Femme is a bold beautiful extremely feminine scent that is light years beyond the standard modern fruity florals. It lasts forever and had good sillage.

The_Entity
The_Entity

Lovely stuff, for me it's like a softer, sweeter Youth Dew. Worth the purchase

TillyWave
TillyWave

EDT Review, 'new' formulation:

This is quite breathtaking. When I first applied to my skin, I felt like I'd walked into a red and gold wallpapered room, with wooden blinds letting in slanted eastern morning light, in this room is a partially clothed voluptuous woman with a head of long curly hair and a sly but indolent smile...what went on in this room the night before I can only guess...

So yeah, a woman's flushed, heated skin...got that right, this is pretty much the most over the top sexy perfumes I've ever smelled.

Practically speaking, it does have that strange cumin-peach-spice thing, I really like it, and as it dries down it indeed does smell like Mitsouko's cousin...2 sprays will do ya for a long, long time, and it's pretty cheap, considering. This is definetely worth a smell if you're even interested in a perfume like this, especially since perfumes like this are becoming an endangered species.

shannonny
shannonny

New to the world of perfumes, and this has become my signature scent out of bottles I currently own. Why?

1. My age: 49. I didn't even feel like a "woman" until I was in my late 30's, and this is a womanly fragrance, my dears.

2. My ideal: Scent (for now, an inclusive term for edp, edt, edc, etc.) should smell like something I couldn't have thought up myself ("I like plums and musk--[mash, mash, mash]--there!"), masterfully composed, supernaturally fragrant--not like an linear extract or juice: I'm beyond dabbing cooking vanilla behind my ears.

3. My taste: warmth, depth, spiciness, softness, and strength, even in summer. I NEED these qualities in scent; it's an emotional-fulfillment, childhood-issue thing. There can be additional notes--such as the melon of Volupte or the salty tang of Eau de Rochas--but the heart must have depth and loyalty: No flighty friends, no flighty fumes. Is that my new motto?

Note to my Fragrantica friends: I am describing the reformulation.

Kiku
Kiku

I have known of Femme forever but never experienced it. Rochas intimidates me. Their perfumes are far too sophisticated for someone like me, a little Southern girl whose daddy was a moonshiner. Plus, it's always refered to as a "fruity" -- one of my least favorite perfume families. But I was given a sample of this recently and it was love at first smell. Femme is soft and dry, almost dusty. A little bit sweet, just a little bit. A bit floral and a bit woodsy. And, yes, it is fruity. Not like those stinkbombs of today that smell like a bowl of overripe fruit. Femme is subtle. It is often likened to Mitsouko and it is a good comparison. But Femme is the youthfulness of Mitsouko mellowed into full blown womanity. Femme understands that seductivness is not a shout but a sly wink across a crowded room. It is classic and thoroughly contemporary. Femme is a perfume for the ages.

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

This bottle arrived in a swap today, and I've been questioning my nose ever since. WHY would anyone find this offensive?! Of course, there is the very important matter of chemistry. :)

For me, many "safe" scents are atrocious - turning sour, cloying, or vile. This "difficult" fragrance smells attractive, feminine, and warm on me. The dreaded cumin is present in the opening, but I have never minded cumin. Also, it settles within about 30 minutes to a slightly spiced floral with touches of suede!

Normally, I'd be wary of a scent with rosemary, but this is so well balanced on me ~ the overall impression is that of a little cedar undergirding the flowers and lightly spiced powder. As for sweet notes and fruit, these are mild and nuanced, adding only a richness and warmth. I don't sense any particular fruit, and certainly no honey!

The only thing that saddens me is that this gem has been discontined by Proctor and Gamble. But rather than moan about their stupidity, I prefer to enjoy my lovely new scent ~ in it's GORGEOUS bottle!

EDIT ~ If you've only smelled Femme in the warm months of the year, you owe yourself another try. This Beauty is in disguise as a BEAST during the summer months!! My new formulation Femme ( which is the only one I've ever tried ) gains enormous cumin - power as the thermometer rises. It may account for a good many negative reviews and startled noses!

I've only tried the new version (EdT). It reminds me of a combination of cough medicine and some floral notes. There isn't much note separation and it's more than a bit sweet/ambery (dominating the scent upon drydown). I suggest getting a vintage scent with a similar idea if you can't find RF in the vintage formulation. I should be getting Le Dix soon so that might fill the "feminine chypre" role (I don't like peach so Mitsouko is out).

neferteria
neferteria

I started wearing Femme Rochas when I was in college, back in the 60s. I liked the fact that it departed from the girly, sweet scents that young women at that time favored. I continued wearing it for many years, then tired of it and had other preferences. But I recently had a longing for Femme and bought the reformulation. Hmmm...not the same, but nevertheless very nice indeed. But I missed the old formulation and found some fresh old stock on the bay. YES! This was the Femme that I had remembered!!! Intensely warm, womanly and wonderful, particularly in cold and dreary weather. But I seem to have to be in the right mood for Femme, and if I'm not, she doesn't smell appealing on me. But when the stars align, there is no better scennt.

ivi rose

I now have the vintage formula in pdt, bath oil, and perfume. This perfume makes me happy and content. This is my favorite. A guy at work loved it so much that he wrote down the name femme on a big piece of cardboard and carried it around in his pocket all night. I get more compliments from others from Shalimar, but I love this one more.

pattyk
pattyk

Got this through EBAY and when I sprayed it on I was repulsed by the smell. I have never smelled anything so horrible on me in my life! I think after about an hour it was tolerable. What a shame, it's a 3.3 bottle. Lot's of good reviews, that is why I purchased it in hopes of a nice scent. Of course my fav is discontinued which is Givenchy Organza Indecence. If anyone out there knows of a fragrance even close to Indecence, let me know! Thanks!

Sassy1

As Meg Ryan would say, slapping her hand on the table:

"YES!! YES!! YES!!"

I'll have what she's having...

natural
natural

I bought it based on the reviews here but I am very disappointed! There is something very irritating in it! I can't stand it! I was hoping for something like Mitsouko but... no! Mitsouko is a masterpiece! I should have bought Mitsouko instead! I shouldn't be looking for substitutes!

shamsiruhe
shamsiruhe

CIVET.
CUMIN.
very very prominent. can't believe they aren't in the pyramid here...i was trying to place the thing besides the super obvious civet, and after some quick internet searches, found it to be cumin.

i can't stand cumin, but i love this perfume. it's longevity is lauded by many. on me it lasts like five minutes even when i bathe in it.

Jacster
Jacster

I have a wonderful 15 ml (I think) bottle of the vintage version of the parfum (extrait / pure perfume). I'd say it is from the 1960s and came to me still fully sealed in its cellophaned box. The stopper says Marcel Rochas (not just Rochas) and a gold silhouette of a woman's head. I read somewhere else on these pages that this does mean it's vintage.

It was a blind buy for me, purchased on the strength of my total adoration of the Dior parfums developed by Edmond Roudnitska.

Now I can't stop using it!

Nothing at all like my other vintage Roudnitskas - Diorella, Diorissimo, Dior-Dior, Eau Fraiche, Eau Sauvage - which to my mind just goes to show the genius of the man.

This is a truly complex beauty: fruity, spicy and floral all at once. And 110% *feminine*!

Perhaps it's my uneducated nose but I don't detect unfurling notes in this parfum.

Like many lovers of life's other great pleasures - wine, art, music - I know little of the technicalities, but I do know what I like.

And I *love* this!

kamisis
kamisis

femme de rochas est un de mes 3 parfums préférés le début est très chargé en mousse,chêne, je dirais même pas très agréable,il faut compter 30 minutes pour que le parfum s'installe,et là c'est un véritable délice il sent si bon, si chic, si oriental il est tellement addictif tellement chaud ce parfum fort ,puissant, envoûtant je l'aimerais toujours c'est certain.

chickenpotpie
chickenpotpie

Smells good in the bottle, not so much on me! I got LOTS of wood and oakmoss from this, to a degree of overwhelming the other notes, and a very strange sourness. I don't know where the sour comes from but its really not something I want to smell!

It just doesn't work out for me. An unfortunate scrubber. And being it was a scrubber it lasted an extra long time.

For those it works on however, its pretty glorious. Like for instance, on my partner it smells great (drat him!)

Many thanks to conifer lover for the opportunity to try this classic.

LaniInFall
LaniInFall

I wore this for the first time last night. It took about 45 min for it to settle on my skin. Once it settled I liked it but I didn't love it. I could admire it, but as a college student i could not love it. I tried it because of its history and just to experience it. If i smelt this on a mature woman I would appreciate it, but it smelt.. off.. on a young woman. Then I met up with my boyfriend and he told me he didn't like it, so that sealed the deal for me! It was fun for one night but I cant say I will ever put this one one again for another 20 years. Just a heads up to the younger crowd!

ivi rose

I love this scent. I have the edp and powder. It is my very favorite. I have never smelled anything so exciting. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.I wish I could find something similar that is a better buy.

Iva Vendetta
Iva Vendetta

I just received my order of "Femme" today with great anticipation. Was I fooled! 2 spritzes into it, I was quite surprised. It smelled like bug spray. Period.
I don't know if it was subject to bad storage or whatever, but it isn't what is has been.
It's a return.

Migalex
Migalex

I always liked very much all the older Rochas perfumes for women: Femme, Mystere, Madame Rochas, the original Lumiére and Byzance. This one is the one I appreciate least, but I do respect it a lot. The 1989 reformulation smells a lot of coumin, together with plum and peach in the opening. The next notes I can detect most intensely are patchouly and cinnamon. I do not detect nearly as clearly the scent of oakmoss despite its being classified as a chypre. I offered it to my mother and she likes it a lot. I find it a bit addictive, which is a good thing. Staying power is very good. I find the name of the perfume simple but really nice. The box is very beautiful and the bottle is really realy gorgeous. I think it was designed by Lalique. It is one of the most beautiful perfume bottles I ever saw. Altogether, I love it.

almondcookie
almondcookie

Rochas Femme you and I reunite after I tossed you into the charity bag in 2005 because i got tired of you. I was a teen. What did I know. After 7 years of which i had an affair with shalimar, coco, l'instant, and samsara I have grown to appreciate you more. From start to finish. You are the epitome of elegance and class. I need you in my collection.

Sassy1

This stuff is about as perfect a cold weather scent as you will ever find.
Lovely cinnamon with a hint of peach, plum and clove which lasts for a good hour or so before settling down to an oakmoss predominant drydown. For me, Kingdom is a cumin perfume....this smells nothing like that at all.

Knowing is very similar but this doesn't have as much rose, which suits me just fine.

I can't wait for winter.

ivi rose

Vintage femme rochas envolopes me in pure bliss of warmth and happiness. My favorite right now.

AngieGCarp
AngieGCarp

Well, I am so happy to have this beautiful perfume but sad that this completes my collection of beautiful French heavy hitters. My collection includes: Cabochard by Gres, Molinard by Molinard, Habanita by Molinard, Ivoire de Balmain and if I can sneak in Spanish made La Nuit by Paco Rabanne.

In my opinion, Rochas Femme is the most well-balanced of all of them. Of course, I think they are all flawless but Rochas fits the bill for year around wear. Whereas for me, I put away my Cabochard and La Nuit for winter.

Really there is nothing I can say that hasn't been said so I will just say "I LOVE IT AND I WILL HAVE IT IN MY COLLECTION FROM NOW ON!"

Happy Perfuming! ♥

jennifer60656
jennifer60656

A complicated beauty. I recently purchased (I guess) a vintage Femme. It comes in a rectangular bottle with a gold cap. The box is a beige color with a black lace design.

I love the plum/peach/apricot thing going on with this; particularly the plum which is most dominant to me. The fruit notes are so rich like in a spice cake. Not sweet at all. Oh did I mention the plum? This frag changes wonderfully over time. Sometimes it's rosy, sometimes it's woody. The spice and fruit stay throughout. It varies by temperature and if it's on skin or clothing.

I've read many people talking about a cumin/coriander note but I don't see it listed. Is what people are talking about the clove? I'm not sure.

One lady said she smelled some ammonia. I sometimes will get a "cat pee" smell in the opening but luckily that fades into all the other notes and then smells more floral. I wonder if that is the jasmine and its legendary "indole"? I guess it is. Nevertheless that should not dissuade anyone from giving this beautiful classic a try.

This is a sophisticated yet warm scent. Nothing about it is loud or potentially headache inducing but it does have strength. It makes the skin smell beautiful and seems to blend nicely with one's own chemistry. Very sexy!

joliecat
joliecat

Thanks to your reviews, I bought Femme Rochas. I have the EDT. The juice is a medium amber color. Oh, Femme is so sexy ! I'm hooked on it ! I feel like I want to drown in it !!! It's rich, full bodied, deeply moist all the way through the drydown. Soft fruits, not sharp. Moderate but rich spices, well blended. Beautiful florals, sweet but not too sweet.

Silage is strong at first, but Femme instantly begins to embrace you, absorbing and settling into your skin. After about an hour or so, it calms and wears close to skin. The woods, resin, amber, patchouli, musk and leather notes are just enough to give Femme longevity without any of these notes being overpowering. Longeity is about 6 to 8 hours.

All the notes in Femme are EXPERTLY BLENDED together for a moist, tasty, full bodied, teasing, overtly sexy, richly feminine, definitely delicious carnal experience.

OH ! OHHH... MMMMMMM....AHHHH....OOOOHHH, AHHHHH,....... Sighs.....Ok, now I need a cigarette.......:)

mamameema
mamameema

I love this(the EDT). I blind bought because of my love for Mitsouko. This is like a forest floor, very earthy and very spicy. I have tried a lot of scents and I can't believe I have not come across this one. Absolutely a must in a perfume collection.

ailishlu
ailishlu

When I worked in Paris as a student, the daughter of the family I lived with had this and she let me try. I used to spray this on every day when she wasn´t around. (oops!). I´m sure she noticed it was quickly disappearing. Anyway. I find this fragrance to be absolutely beautiful and feminine and very warm and sexy. It seems to be more of a perfume for a mature woman imo, but the French family´s daughter was only 17 and wore it proudly. I was also in my 20s at the time, so it does appeal to younger people to I guess. I have never actually owned this because I could never afford to buy it. I have it on my wish list and I´m definitely going to try to get it now before it disappears. Although it´s warm and spicy and perhaps better suited to Winter, I wore this in late summer and didn´t really care if it was perhaps too strong. I just loved it.

monamonib
monamonib

igot femme recently and i did nt test it there was no tester when iopen it and put my first spry it remind me
when iwas young and the shop of spices where the smell of
spices plend with soap and topaco that smell of femme its strange smell but attractive

ABRAG
ABRAG

Join a beautiful fragrance

Strange smell like soap

I hope to have a stronger smell

fishmerised

Received my mini EDP today and it is the same as the EDT except smoother, not as cheeky and provactive. This is romance on a stick for special occasions.

fishmerised

Hmmn, got my EDT today and after wearing it for an hour I can discern the Mitsouko similarity. Mitsouko is more etheral, intriging, it never defines the wearer. Mitsouko is an unattainable state of existance, reminds me of a woodnymph from days long gone - not from our dimension.

Femme is her mortal sister, earthbound and loving it. Femme is bursting with a sensual appetite for all good things in life and not ashamed to admit it. Sensual and robust but with a soft heart revealed only to those who know her well. A very sexy fragrance that well suits a romantic setting but not suitable for a first date, a bit intense.

My first impression was a sharp opening, a bit of a nose burner, but that dissipated to a well rounded earthy, musky, floral base within the hour. A very heavy perfume that requires a light spray or it becomes overwhelming. Lasted a good 5 hours on me.

It's not something I would wear often but it's got a quality I expect will keep calling me back. I'll probably keep it just for the nostalgic value, they don't make perfumes like this anymore.

edit: I just took Femme around to my Mum, she loved it and OMGosh it smelt good on her. Her skin just drank it up like it was made for her. Mum is one of those lucky people who can wear just about any fragrance and smell good. I left the wicked Femme fatal with a kindred spirit and she is still in reach if I hear her calling.

fishmerised

Never tried it before but was dismayed to read Rochas has been discontinued as I have an appreciation for some other Edmond Roudnitska frags. I purchased a mini EDP and 100ml EDT before they disappear and become extinct, like the dodo.

carolg

News today that Rochas Fragrances are no more. Proctor and Gamble have already dumped all Rochas fragrances.

What a horror story !

A sign of our SINFUL synthetic Times.

Murder in the first degree!

petal49
petal49

I love this beautiful perfume. Deep lasting fragrance, mossy, woody and just that little something else --
I always have lots of compliments when wearing Femme.
Just one spray will last all day.
An all embracing warmth which has kept me company for about 30 years. I think it gets better as I age.

id
id

Mossy, spicy, "peachy" at the opening with a showing accord of leather and wood in the middle. Very elegant, classy and French. Versatile sillage with a good lasting power (about 12 hours at least on my skin).

Haylie thorneley

I also think this could be compared to Une fleur de Cassie by Frederic Malle. Its the cumin that stands out to me in both fragrances, Frederic Malles fragrance is a modern interpretation of perfumes from the 1930s and 40s and this was a fragrance made originally in that period. :)

Haylie thorneley

In my opinion smells most like Alexander McQueen Kingdom, more so than Mitsuko. I can't smell much of the fruits listed. Very spicy and slightly soapy.

dlane1953

I recently bought the vintage formula of the EDT and it's much more complex than the new version I reviewed earlier. Even more sensuous. It's really wonderful. It's so sensuous that I'm unsure about wearing it in daytime, it seems too much for everyday life.
The fruity opening is enriched by the rosewood, cinnamon, and lemon, an inspired combination. I can't wait for this beauty to unfold!

The middle notes were beautiful soft florals, and now I'm getting a taste of the drydown, which contains my favorite chypre notes. Leather--finally I've found a perfume with a leather note that works on me. The drydown is dark, lovely, mysterious. This is an extraordinary fragrance. I am so happy I bought it.

akats

I received it yesterday. Edt reformulated version. It's lovely. A tender peachy spiced fragrance with the femmine warmth and sensuality I had expected. I understand the comparison with Mitsouko, but I disagree with the similarity. Surely, if you can wear the one, you can wear the other. Yet, are quite different.
Femme is more femminine and sweet without the feel of oak moss (what I personally think)It is more fuity light chypre. I was scared that it would be strong, old fashioned, thick smell, but instead the edt I have is light, easy to wear even in the morning during cold months ofcourse... Nice, unnoffensive sillage, and moderate staying power. Yes, it gived me the sense of a woman's sweat, but I didn't get cumin. Spices are modest here, -according to my nose- and not aggressive. The fruits plum, apricot and peach are the more prominent, accompanied by the wood, soft leather and a bit of carnation and vanillia. Patcouli and cloves seem at the far background. Overall, a sexy, sensual fragrance, worth having it.

akats

I have ordered the new version edt without having smell it ever before. I'm a bit afraid whether the surprise will be pleasant or not. But as I'm collector of famous chypres, I could not resist a blid buy. I will tell you soon....

dlane1953

I purchased the EDP (not vintage).This is probably one of the most sensual perfumes I've ever tried. Don't know why so many reviewers talk about the cumin notes, there are none, it's probably the oak moss coming through or the rosewood and cinnamon combination. It's such a complex fragrance that I need to wear a few more times to get all the nuances. So far, 40 minutes in, I have to say I love it--it's a real shape-shifter! I pick up new notes every time I sniff my wrist. This is a keeper!

yvankraft
yvankraft

Fantastic, but it should not be related to Mitsouko only because they are both chypre fragrances. Their personalities, and this is the focus of a perfume, are different and they behave in distinct ways. Femme is carnal whereas Mitsouko is intellectual, told with few words...

TigerEyes
TigerEyes

Alas, oakmoss...I try and try these lovely perfumes containing it, and my skin chemistry just turns it into an all-pervasive "play-doh" note. So, I spray this classic on scarves and it's much more playful!

artsyrn
artsyrn

Masterful. I get woody amber, cinnamon, vanilla,faint leather and lemon. This feels warm and complex. It's very nicely done. and feels inviting and comforting to me.

Dika
Dika

Female version of YSL Kouros. Started warm and spicy, developed into Kouros fast. I'm not fan of cumin, which is quite overpowering here. Even though all other notes are amazing and the combination is beautiful and complex, the cumin ruins it for me.

LaPetite
LaPetite

I'm just convinced that weather is very important when you want to form your opinion on a scent , VERY !

I have tried this scent last autumn ( we had quite a hot autumn here ) and i really hated it and found it old-fashioned (and NOT in a good way) , disgusting , blablabla .

BUT i tried it last week when it was freezing , and guess what ? I'm starting liking, and why not loving it!
Very womanly , elegant and sexy , and yet without giving the feeling your a maneater , a lady scent !

Please , when you think you hate a scent try it again with a different weather . Because it would be such a pity to let aperfume love story pass you by just because of a wrong temperature !

zosoroxy
zosoroxy

A tease- Something wonderful seems secretly waiting, just underneath the tonnage of intolerable cumin. I wanted to, but literally couldn't, wait to see how it developed, as I was so offput by the overpowering top-cumin-note (EdT sampled). Had to scrub it off (Wet-Ones work wonders). But I *really* think there is something wonderful here...

finnschick
finnschick

I sampled this last night. It was hideous at first sniff. After it softened I couldn't put my finger on what I was smelling. My husband immediately pegged it, though.

In the spirit of full disclosure, we both grew up going to Catholic schools...

This perfume smells like Mass before school. It's votive candles surrounding the Virgin Mary statue, with just a hint of incense and Women's Auxillary. It is the olfactory equivalent of a sturdy nun with a ruler, sternly advising to leave room for the Holy Ghost.

It's not an unpleasant scent, but it will never get me any booty.

Annelien1987
Annelien1987

Very nice fragrance. I don't smell civet, which is a good thing for me, because I hate it.

This is really creamy and spicy at the same time. I smell the cinnamon and the beautiful flowers. I also smell A LOT of peach. This reminds me of tresor but better.

Great scent.

RomAnna
RomAnna

A masterpiece.
Loving it.

sharron
sharron

Whew, yikes. I so wish I could smell a vintage Femme. Something in this newest reformulation is just - nearly sickening to me :/ I love everything else I have ever sniffed by Rochas, and Mr. Roudnitska as well, but I just cannot even give this a chance, the first sniffs on my wrist are that off-putting. I do not want to disturb anyone, but to me this version smells like rotten, rancid, body odor - like the cumin has burned a hole through the rest of the scent:( For my Rochas funk, I would choose "Moustache" (if you wear masculine scents) over this.

Wega
Wega

I like it very much, but my skin is amplifying an animalic/indolic note to a near-embarrassing level. I think this may be an at-home sort of scent. It smells classic, thick, voluptuous and fuller than Miss Dior, which is my only reference point at present.
I'm getting mostly MOSS, some plum, cloves, woods, leather and cinnamon. I get the faintest bit of cumin, which was the primary note my boyfriend smelled. I wonder where the animalic note is coming from, since it does not smell AT ALL like musk to me.
Anyway, I like!

Grottola
Grottola

If you like Mitsouko (or pure-blooded chypres, for that matter), but you're strapped for cash, it's hard to beat Rochas Femme. Despite whatever reformulations it has gone through, the stuff holds up well and smells like a chypre should. I love chypres and I know the "chypre smell" like the back of my hand, and Rochas Femme is definitely a good example. I would say Rochas Femme is a little darker and plummier than other chypres, and it has a really nice cinnamon note throughout the top and middle. The cinnamon complements it perfectly; it never gets overbearing, and contributes to the warm aura of Rochas Femme. There's also a *slight* animalic smell, but it's not unpleasant at all. It adds a fleshy warmth to the fragrance, like most animalic notes should. The longevity is excellent.

If you're looking for a good classic chypre that works for both men and women, try Rochas Femme. You'll be glad you did.

watercolour
watercolour

I have tried hard to like this perfume after carefully reading all the reviews here.
Even as I write this, it is on my wrist in the EDP strength, and I keep waiting and
hoping for it to 'soften' and become gentler...
20 minutes on, and the original paint-stripper / varnish / cumin top notes are
slowly beginning to die down. However it is still too spicy, still too harsh.
There is an ingredient in Femme that is making my eyes water just a little!

It might have been a great scent once, but it's day has passed.
Sadly, it's not for me

Bandit
Bandit

That's incredible: I've had a vintage perfume of Femme (with that to-die-for sexy box of lingerie) and didn't like it a bit; I sold it for a very reasonable price on (you know where). I always had that nagging voice in my mind telling me, that maybe the bottle had gone off.

So I've sampled the recent formulation and... I don't like it either! Strange, as I love vintage, chypre and leather, but I cannot warm with that green, soapy smell. Smells like vintage Miss Dior without the animal and raunchy part.

To me, the vintage and the recent are very close together. I like the recent more, as it smells somehow a little sharper, more nuanced, but still, there is no need to hunt down the vintage for exorbitant prices.

boruvka44
boruvka44

Oddly mentholated cold mix of leather, cinnamon, cloves, oakmoss, patchouli, dryed plums and apricots.
Can't decide if I like it or not, I maybe do for it's strangeness, but definitely not as a perfume. It smells like old varnished wooden spice box. Isn't it a male fragrance? :) Too bad it's not warm! Not on my skin.
Much nicer on fabric, the pretty warm cloves.

Abyss1001

The re-formulation did NOT ruin this masterpiece! Still love it!

Henriette

Please experts do correct me if I am very wrong: the reformulation did not ruin this masterpiece. Is it heresy what I am saying? I hope not. Either Femme is such a great masterpiece that no reformulation can ruin, or the work has been done so cleverly that the creature did not suffer. I remember very well the "old" Femme and it was sweet, fruity, oily in a good sense but not as chic as it is today. While I do not like other reformulations (Opium, Magie Noire, Mitsouko, Chanel N°5, to name a few great classics) I do love the new Femme. It's so perfect.

Abyss1001

This is positively glorious!!! Received my first bottle from Ebay today and I love it. Warm and delicious...going to be my "co-signature scent" along with my Cinnabar...

Abyss1001

Ordered my first bottle off of Ebay today. I'm doing it blindly because I have read soooooooo many positive reviews of Femme... Love the whole concept of plum-peach-vanilla....hope that it is everything I am looking for in a new scent to add to my collection!

parfumeur
parfumeur

This make me remind a Mother.
It has chic, elegance, narcotic, sweet, tender touch.
This is the one of my favorite women's fragrance.
I love this!

cinsot
cinsot

Femme was my mother's signature scent when I was a child and like her during her reign this utterly exquisite aroma oozes feminine prowess.

I don't wear Femme often; I rather enjoy reaching for it to inhale its nostalgia from the bottle from time to time.

Today this unaltered (my bottle smells identical and was proudly made in France) magnificent chypre emanates in spectacular fashion from the centre of my being. The lightest spritz to my cleavage and I feel like Wonder Woman.

Perhaps beyond description other than the lemony rosemary swirling about with sun ripened stone-fruit is captivating and delicious. The base is where the sex is... well, like I said, Indescribable!

Champs Elysees is my mummy's signature now that she has matured and mellowed with age (like fine wine!). But for me, Femme will always be synonymous with the Mighty Power-House I remember my mum being.

lapurrla
lapurrla

I really like the wood in Femme but the notes refer to Sandal whilst only Brazilian Rosewood is actually pictured as a note. My mini is a vintage so likely pre-reformulation. Rich woodsy scent with a little fruit for sweetness. The current version also sounds good.

090911 The more I try this the more I appreciate it. Another chypre that I'm coming to adore. Think I got the leather. The fragrance wafting around me is gentle and heavenly. The flowers and fruits are a gorgeous blend. Those woodsy notes make it for me. Try it. Remarkable fragrance.

(Reviewing a vintage miniature).

Justyna
Justyna

A masterpiece! So addictive with these overripe, almost smoked plums, I could take a bath in it...
I feel a shade of incense, not mentioned in notes.

IamWoman
IamWoman

Femme Rochas (edp) is, in one word, intriguing. It is complex and contemplative, mysterious and sultry, sweet yet dry, spicy and soft. Amidst its dualities is an undeniable grace. There is a definite air of nostalgia here, and a ladylike, "come-hither" sexiness that beckons the memories of Gene Tierney, Ava Gardner, or Rita Hayworth from Hollywood's Golden Age; a time when movies were in black and white, ladies wore pearls, and nothing was overstated. This work of art blends its deep and multifaceted notes into a balanced and exotic masterpiece. Unlike contemporary "flavors" being offered as fragrances, these classic, time-honored notes exude the elegance and refinement of a by-gone era. Picture Tyrone Power and Gene Tierney seated on a beautiful chaise in front of a blazing fireplace in a regal living room; he in his tuxedo, she in a beautifully fitted, flowing satin gown. They look deeply and silently into each other's eyes as they sip a sweet yet dry evening sherry. The camera slowly pans to the fire blazing in the fireplace. That kind of romance, that kind of elegance, that kind of lady is Femme.

Henriette

This is another of my favourites. Ever since I was a kid I have been a fan of classic perfumes. When my teenager mates wore Eau Jeune or Charlie I wore Miss Dior, Parure, Mitsouko and the like. Now that I am in my late '40es I am happier than ever to wear these marvellous scents without hearing people say "this is not for you". Femme is for every woman, it is so beautiful you can wear it every day without feeling out of place. It's discreet and not banal, it's spicy and not aggressive, it's maternal but not boring, it's classic yet not granted, elegant and new every day. It's pure perfection.

Buga
Buga

This is my perfume. Couldn't stress more how much I like it. it simply fits me like no other I've tried before. Bought it without trying while getting the Madame for my mother, perfume which I also like. But Femme has more character and works better with my skin. Strong, for sure, but the fruity notes balance it out, keeping it cozy and warm. I like chypre, but some can be pretty aggressive. Not Femme. Past the first hour or so, it won't irritate your co-workers' nose. And by the end of the day, I get this well balanced floral scent on my skin and clothes. I wear it day and night. I've even attempted to wear it during summer. But indeed it works better when it's a bit cooler outside.- if you like watermelon with vanilla, dont even bother trying this one.

mymlan

Femme is such a beautiful fragrance, and eventhough it's classified as a fruity chypre it has so many oriental notes that many other scents also remind me of Femme; Jil Sander No 4, Mackie, Gilda, Tuscany per donna and many more. However, I prefer the original.

Sumukorento
Sumukorento

This doesn't work on my skin:( The first sharpness of cumin, cinnamon and clove stays all time, I don't smell any woods, nothing warm or soft. Sad.

mystica
mystica

First of all, I am terribly fed up with the fact that all the most beautiful perfumes on this earth are either discontinued or worse reformulated. Whenever I want to write some review for a perfect fragrance, I learn that there are at least two reformulations of it, and I can't even be sure as to which version I am writing a review about..

So, Rochas Femme, I've found a bottle of it in my mother's drawer, spritzed some, and instantly fell in love with it. I think it as a classical (in a good, distinctive way of course), nostalgic fragrance which has real depth and character. Just like the smell of a lady..

I should say, to my nose, Rochas Femme's similarity to Guerlain Mitsouko is striking. However, it is still unique with distinctive notes and a character of its own.

Recommended.

pmcclure
pmcclure

Sexy, deep, feminine. I still have a bottle, but don't wear it anymore.

For those who have tried it and didn't like it, check and see where it was bottled. The Rochas bottled in France are lightened with grapeseed alcohol. In the US, they use grain alcohol. Big difference!

Natalie467
Natalie467

Saucy, spicy, seductive, strong. LOVE it. Femme is a warm and inviting mix of ripe fruits, spices-notably cumin-with an even warmer dry down of leather with a bit of mossiness. It's got almost a raw sexuality about it but is also polished at the same time. Polished but a bit naughty. I think it's the sweaty cumin note that is talking here. Sweaty in a healthy way, not in a filthy sense. Unbelievably sexy.

I have to thank Simona IL for including this in our swap, what a surprise, this knocked my socks off!~Really have to get a bottle when my little one runs out.

carolg

This is my all time favouritein its original form. I just wish it had been kept in its original formulation and not been subject to reformulation as it has been.

Sadly Rochas is now owned by Proctor and Gamble whose Customer Service lacks care and reverence and respect to a once brand of stature and refinement as Rochas.

I have the new formulation in EDT and also one or two from 1970's/80's that I am hanging on to. I want to try the new formulation EDP as the EDT does not last very long on me.

I am also a fan of Madame Rochas too.

I shall mourn the House of Rochas forevermore !

Sissi
Sissi

Dark and Indolic Femme reflects the austere and well
tailored elegance of wartime fashion of the early
1940's of boxed shoulders and wasp waists mannish
and yet feminine rochas must have been a milestone
during it's release in 1943 a scent that is'nt frivilous nor girlish it was simple and yet sophistocated a perfume that conjours the rationed
mentality of wartime,

Femme demands but doe'snt
scream like Cinnabar,Spellbound,Opium,Ciara,or Obsession it slowly draws you in like a spider waits for it's pray or a cat that slowly stalks to get
his prize, The opening starts off sweet with the note of Peach then dries of a deep and juicy scent of plum. Cinnamon brings the heat and the fire of Femme with delectable nuances Bright slices of Bergamot
and lemon turns this fragrance to a zesty drydown,
As this scent dries to the heart of Rochas it turns
woodsy and grounded begining with Rosemary and powdery Red cartnation Iris seems to have a subtle
effect usually giving a cool crisp scent but there is no edvidence of that, The note of Jasmine with it's nocturnal Elegance to the senses Greenish and semi-sweet cloves finishes the middle.

The Base note drydown is my favorite a sexy mix of
Leather Civet and a tinge of Tobacco, Picturing
Marlene Dietrich in a skin tight black leather
low cut gown in a moving train in the first class
compartment seducing all the powerful men with
smoke blowing from her glossy red lips from a cigarette from her black Leather Gloves.

Femme is Fire beneth an icy exterior.

oona noir
oona noir

You *must* be comfortable with your body and sexuality to wear this one (I tested current edp). It doesn't scream "hey, I'm a sexy sexy thing!", it's more quiet than that. But the tone of sweaty bodies is here regardless. The first thing I got right out of the bottle was the famous cumin note, which to me, smells straight up like body odor. But after the first 20 minutes or so, the cumin died down and the peach and spices started to come to the fore. I can definitely see the comparisons to Mitsouko, but so far I like Femme better. Which makes sense because I prefer leather over vanilla.

Femme is a woman who feels things deeply and isn't afraid of her vulnerability. This perfume is warm, sensual and vulnerable- and not afraid of any of it. Wear it if you dare!

Mariame
Mariame

Birdofparadise,i like your description,i put Femme in my wanting list.Thank you.

birdofparadise
birdofparadise

Elegant and classic, Femme is woman in love who holds secrets that could break a lover's heart. I can see it being worn with red lipstick and black satin. Dancing to a Big Band with handsome men in uniform. The leather note here is just a tap of the whip that suggests intrigue. Smouldering and seductive - a beautiful fragrance..

Migotka
Migotka

I confess, vintage (even reformulated vintage) is not really my thing. I do not mind overpowering composition, but there is something that a lot of vintage share, I dont know if it is a specific note or some sort of combination that really does not work for me.

Femme initially is a burst of ylang-ylang, cinnamon, carnation and patchouli (in that particular order), but while it gets gentler as time goes by. It has a tendency to border on the line between fruity/floral and soapy. It is nevertheless very elegant, and I think out of all the vintage fragrances I have tested so far, this would be the one Id most likely to wear.

The more it lasts, the more I like it, and the more notes I can discover in this fascinating olfactory maze. It is still not something that goes well with my style, but a great composition like this can not go unappreciated.

rainbow.owl
rainbow.owl

I have a 30ml edt (with a gold cap - not black as displayed - the cap is a great fit, very snug). It might well be a shadow if it's former self, but then again, I've not smelled the vinatge version... I love it, after the rather harsh initial blast of plum dries off a bit. it's just lovely on me, a big floral with a fantastic long-term dry down. If you like Ysatis, you might like Femme! (I don't mean that they smell the same, but theyv'e got that big floral feel).

carolcabbagerose
carolcabbagerose

emmm...bought this one in a moment of madness, never buy before you try. My Mum wore this and I loved it then, it smelled posh and was expensive then. I bought it after reading some of the reviews and promptly packed it up to send back, it did not smell good on me at all. Musty rather than musky.

I think I have been a bit harsh here. Slap my wrist.
If he does not like it, which he didn't, then I am not really happy to wear it. But....I think I may like it on another lady, it is a classic after all for mature elegant women, not girls.

the churumbel
the churumbel

i really love this perfume, but only can i use it in winter.

cloyd42
cloyd42

All the great and classic perfumes have something in common: a creator's vision so strong that the end result is controversial. A perfume doesn't last for 70+ years without that greatness and disagreement about its qualities. I unabashedly love this scent although it's a special occasion juice for me. On me it opens with an eye-watering blast of jasmine that immediately morphs into the wonderful plum (if you love plum try Ineke's Evenings Edged in Gold also) and opens into carnation and vanilla. As the scent warms it settles into a rich floral bouquet wrapped in amber. Not a perfume for a princess--a perfume for a queen.

Buy the EDT, that one is Masterpiece too!

empressevie
empressevie

Based on these wonderful comments and its notes, I bought a small EDP of this. Ir arrived yesterday, so today I tried it. This perfume is undeniably brilliant, with a warm, but citrusy opening, drying down to a multi layed magnificent heart of quite exotic, soft sweerness. Not cloying, but pure. But....it stays too close to my skin, and shortly afterwards, it had all but disappeared, apart from an occasioal waft. I even asked my husband what he thought of it, and he couldn't smell it. A HUGE disappointment, because the perfume I got was..... heaven sent!
Not sure if it's me, or the EDP, or the supplier, or what. This would be a definite keeper and permanent buy, if only I could smell it after about 10 mins. Any ideas?

Cereza
Cereza

Opening as a dark, gothic fruit bomb followed by some strange smokyness and wood polish quality, I suspect from - rosewood + lemon. I must say that I'm impressed that I thought I would be, so that's a good start with our relationship.
It's strong. The fruits are heavy, rich, sweet and tick, like syrup. When cinnamon + clove starts to appear this becomes almost too sweet to handle.
I must say - there's everything. At the heart I'm struck with rich, buttery ylang-ylang, I think I could even say that this perfume is "fat". It's like a huge cake from which every diet loving girl run away screaming. The same is with Femme Rochas - it's so rich that every ligh fragrance lover would run away to scrub this off and sneeze everytime they smell this on someone else.
I enjoy this, actually, but not enough. There's something too much even for me.

TankGirl
TankGirl

Femme Rochas is the most interesting perfume that I've ever smelled, the most complex and fascinating.
The first blast of this fragrance on my skin is a gorgeaus mix of bergamot, fruty and woody notes. It gives to me the idea of burning wood, or incence smoke. I would describe this top notes as strong, masculine, sensual, mysterious and extremelly mature.
After an hour, the plum and the flowers start to be revealed on my skin and this scent becomes deliciously sweet, feminine and cozy. The heart notes on my skin have nothing about the top notes, the perfume changes drastically but still amazing. Femme Rochas I would say embends the personality of a women really well, because all the levels of smell of this perfume in a certain way describe all the aspect of a beautifull woman.
The base notes are extremely delicate and warm, this strong scent becomes a soft, skin scent, that blends gloriously with my skin and that I also love. As many have said, the base notes evoke an erotic theme. Sultry, sophisticated and amazingly sweet.
Femme Rochas is in my opinion a masterpiece, one of those perfumes that every woman should have. Umbelievably feminine, sensual, chic and glamourous.
I definatly cant wear this as a casual perfume, I believe is one of those you wear when you want to catch everybodys attention in a party. I love all the aspects of these perfume and I certainly will buy this over and over.
My new secret weapon. 10/10

moly
moly

I found Femme on sale in a drugstore today and bought without hesitating. I love it. Since the days are becoming colder and shorter, Femme can fully develop its beauty. Such a warm, mature, sensual fragrance. I'm so glad I've got it!

parfum de l'amour
parfum de l'amour

Dark, dusty, enigmatic, antique, quaint. Beautiful. The general feel introduces it in the same gallery as Chanel no. 5 and Shalimar.

The image that it evokes is that of a young, late 20’s to 30’s, tall and slender woman passing elegantly on a boulevard in Iasi, late at night, with only the golden street lights embracing her lithe silhouette from time to time. It is the mid-1920’s. There are neoclassical and Art Nouveau buildings, with gardens and black, wrought iron fences, trees and paved sidewalks. It’s late autumn, leaves have fallen and sharp rain drops can be heard hitting the windows and the pavements like small, sharp shards. But it is not the only noise you can hear… like the ticking of a clock, echoing far into the deserted, bleak street is the sound of her high heels against the pavement. Her delicate, adolescent, oval face, with pale complexion and big, melancholic eyes, is partly hidden by the shadow of the cloche hat she is wearing and the soft scarf in which she tries to hide from the cold her fine, sculptural nose. A pale of wind uncovers a thread of raven black hair from underneath the hat. Her pace is brisk. Someone is waiting for her in a large, warm room filled with cozy antique furniture, slipping quick, nervous glances outside the window, from behind the floral print curtains… Someone as lithe and enigmatic as herself…

Jeannine
Jeannine

When I first tried this, I was tempted to discard the little paper strip I had sprayed it on in minutes: too sweet, too floral, too much like perfumed soap. Luckily, because there was no bin, I put the paper strip into my coat pocket, and when I lifted my hand to my face half an hour later to tuck away a strand of hair, I noticed a heavenly smell - Femme Rochas after the dry-down. Once it has settled down, Femme becomes a multi-faceted, extremely sensual scent that develops slowly and stays forever on my skin. On me, the top notes only kick in after like five minutes of in-your-face sweetness; the middle notes stay comparatively subdued and smell like natural sweetness rather than any one flower, and the base notes round it out just wonderfully. It's a sexy, lascivious, extremely feminine perfume. It's very personal and not a "statement fragrance" per se - I would feel sensual and sexy wearing this around my boyfriend (although even there ,I'd only use very little of it), but painfully uncomfortable if wearing it while stuck in an elevator with a stranger.

Calyx
Calyx

YES! I've finally found a fragrance I can wear that has leather in it! On me, Femme's leather is more of a skin scent, but neither subtle nor clean. This is the smell of skin the morning after a night of mad passionate sex.

I think the amber and vanilla in the base soften it just enough to make it work on me. This is definitely going on my Want list!

Naina
Naina

It´s incredible beautifull and sensual

minimok
minimok

I was 18 when I smelled it the first time at my teacher and I liked it immediately.
It was not that easy to find it, so I let it and found other perfumes I liked.
Before two months I had almost the urge to smell again Femme and bought it.
Now with 38 I feel it fits me even more.
When I wear it I feel lascivious and very feminine. Even the new formula is more fruity than the original one, more plum I love it.
It makes me wanting to writhe with and under the silk sheets knowing I'm a feral woman! :)

Cumin heavy oriental with plums, amber and floral notes. But overall it's blastingly cumin on me, like Indian food. Had to scrub it off.

Catbiscuit
Catbiscuit

I ordered a baby bottle of the new formula to try. I am soooooo glad I did. Not only is it unbearbly cute but it smells amazing as well.

On first application it smelt dusty & feral. This sounds awful but trust me, it was scintillating.

It seems the dust I was smelling is in fact a very fine, silky powder that rides underneath the entire arc of the journey. The feral I was smelling is very real. I think of a tigress when I smell it. A beast of enormous beauty & power & savagery. But she is currently resting in the shade of a tree, powerful muscles at ease, looking out over the savannah, ready for action.

I cannot think of a single occasion to wear this unless you are in a mood to aggravate people. Or perhaps if you are going into modern urban battle at a motor registery or some such ilk?

I think the best time to wear it is when you just want to enjoy the smell of it on yourself. No interruptions, just at ease under a tree.

It is a magnificant creation which thankfully loves me back.

Manya
Manya

Woah! I am glad I didn't buy this unsniffed, because this is not *me*...

It is unbelievably mature and feminine, and it does ressemble Mitsouko by Guerlain, but while Mitsouko is powdery, Femme is -dry- in a choking way.

Don't get me wrong- this scent is an undeniable classic with all the praise it deserves, but it's NOT a scent for everyone.

Jillzilla
Jillzilla

I think it's a beautiful fragrance, and I wanted it to work for me, but there are a few notes in the composition that are giving my skin chemistry some trouble. As a result, the beauty of the fragrance is thwarted on me.

The style of it feels similar to Mitsouko, which I *can* wear, so I don't feel like I'm missing out too much, but I'm still sad I can't wear Femme Rochas.

nyoka
nyoka

I got to sample this and a few more from Bronx Beauty>It really is strange.Its like one of those relationships that go.,,,I love u,I hate you,Come here,,,go a way,OOPS I love u again.It keeps fooling me with its notes.Allover a pretty ,classy scent.Its just my skin that keeps changing.Give it a try.Not boring to say the least.

gypsykitten
gypsykitten

This is a perfume that I have to be in a certain mood to wear. Maybe it's the cumin that reminds me faintly of watered down beef broth, but it smells to me like baby shampoo with fruits and beef broth and picks up a hint of sweaty sheets when it starts to dry down. I find it a little too suggestive to wear to work, but I enjoy it sometimes on my days off! I think everyone should try this out at least once. I think I'll always keep some on hand.

WireBodyArt
WireBodyArt

Love this one! It lasts all day, is subtle & full of class! It was created in the 40's I think. Femme by Rochas includes notes of bergamot, peach, prune, rose, immortelle, jasmine, ylang-ylang, ambergris, musk, oakmoss, sandalwood. Juli ;)

cleo cupcake
cleo cupcake

Gorgeous! Rich and sensual fragrance that is perfect for seduction! The bottle is said to be based on the curves of Mae West, possibly the ultimate 'female impersonator'.It does belong on a mature femme fatale type - it's hard to see how a younger woman could carry this off nowadays. Wait til you are over 30 and you will know when you are ready for it and then you will be able to revel in the power.When the mood is right this is irresistible.

Mimmi
Mimmi

Sensual, flattering notes of plum, peach, ylang-ylang - complemented by the integrity of rosemary, leather, oakmoss. Cloves and spices are rounding and warming up this body.
Not an easy dame of low ambitions.
But even today, as several of the classics in this cathegory by some are belived too hard to handle - the pleasure of experiencing them is prevailing.
This body of balanced complexity is working like a perfectly crafted vintage-dress. To stylish to ever bother if its in or out of fashion. Not for everyday wear, but a treasure of every wardrobe that holds it. This fruity chypre is seriously sensual, or should I just say sexy.
Tried the EdP, good sillage, good lastingpower (ca 10 hrs on me).

rithacha
rithacha

Thanks Doc Elly for a sample of the vintage Femme Rochas! You are wonderful!

Femme first sweeps into the room with trumpet fanfares, all brash bravado, light, and sound. It's a veritable explosion of old-school pitted fruits and spice that carrries a slightly sour undertone. It isn't very femme at all - more like a high school band's brass section, slightly drunk off their own music.

But within minutes, Femme morphs into something else entirely. The closest comparison I can make is to Mitsouko. But whereas Mitsouko is all melancholy, lipid, and plaintive, Femme is quite smug in her feminimity. Femme is so rounded and smooth that Mitsouko seems cold and metallic in comparison. It's an incredibly warm and lush embrace, kind of like a fur stole around your throat and a sip of smooth wine. Creamy vanilliac florals, turned animalistic by a leather base. A celebration of animalistic yet sophisticated feminimity.

Much better than the joyless Mitsouko. Not recommended unless you've been around the block a few times.

This perfume is a MUST have for all members that take themselves very serious in the department of collecting fragrances. And just recently a hard core group of collectors agreed upon saying that the NEW Femme is even better than the vintage!! Unbelievable right?
Good luck!!

guest_firea
guest_firea

I love the idea, I love the bottle, and try to love the perfume itself, too. It's something very-very beautiful, but unfortunately very strange on my skin. I smell the plums and flowers all right, but also the cinnamon and santalwood, leather and maybe a touch of insence that is not listed above among the notes so it may be only a trick of my mind..... but these notes make a somewhat sweating smell, a dirty, sweating female skin....It takes about 20 minutes this smell to fade then the fragrance turns into one of the nicest and classiest perfumes ever. Perfect signature scent since it's unique and smart but very soft. I really wonder whether there is insence in it or not.... that is a note that goes very badly with my skin chemistry:(

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

this perfume just seemed to choose me! I used to like 'Kingdom' and at first whiff, this is slightly similar initially in the spices. However, this is so much more complex and beautiful. I find it an erotic smell and I wear it all the time- I can't believe I've only discovered it at 37!
As a note, this is similar in many ways to Bal A Versailles but with more fruit and less powder - I love both but this one is a real sexy beast!

Lilian
Lilian

To me, this is the 'fresh out of bed' woman smell! At the same time so warm and so foreign, so familiar yet so far away.

... She has just opened her eyes to a new day, laid comfortably in your bed. Her eyes find you through the remains of the dream, as you prepare her Masala tea. She smiles. Slightly sad, but so warm... The sun rays are playing in the thick snow on the window sill, peeking through the carnations in a wooden vase...

Lady Love
Lady Love

This fragrance is so strange!!

Femme (Edt) makes me feel the same thing i felt with Dior Poison. The first 5 minutes, you're going to hate this fragrance very deeply, cuz is like smelling a strong eucalyptus, simply unbearable.

But Femme is a complex fragrance, and has the ability to grow on your skin and turning into something softer. Then you'll think it's not so bad after all..and maybe you'll probably very pleased with the scent..

For me Femme is only Leather+Cinnamon+Vanilla and a lot's of strong woods..these notes completely outshines the rest.. i detect some citrus to..

I like the soft, warm, and pleasent woody smell of Femme. Just like Poison, Femme is love and hate in one bottle, and it's not a fragrance for everyone but worth to try it.

FEMME ROCHAS is a compelling and contemplative perfume, from beginning to end. It is rich and complex, sultry and mysterious and does indeed compare favorably to MITSOUKO, the drydown of which however I somewhat prefer.

Nonetheless, FEMME is gorgeous. I love the logical structure of the notes, with all of the florals bundled together, introduced by fruits and wood and buttressed by chypre elements.

FEMME has great sillage and is extremely longlasting, but it softens over the course of the day, leaving a light chypre layer behind, which is a nice way to recover from the big opening during which I find myself constantly remarking to myself how beautiful this fragrance is. It's really not possible to wear FEMME without being aware that it's there. Not an everyday perfume, FEMME is well-suited for occasional cold wintry nights...

The bottle is beautiful, too.

mymlan

A beautiful fragrance that I used to wear in my teens (Edt in the laced box) and now had to get again. I know that it has been reformulated since then and this review is based on the EdP version. In conclusion, Femme still smells wonderful, eventhough I today only would classify it for evenings, nights out and special occasions. It is sweet but not sugary, spicy and soft. It smells from lovley notes as fresh bergamot, plum, peach, feminine flowers, sandalwood, musk and benzoine. A must have in your fragrance wardrobe!

CaraMia
CaraMia

I have always found Femme, whether the old formulation or the new (which has a longer lasting set of fruit notes), to be stunningly beautiful and maybe a little incongruently so. Sometimes I feel like I'm trying to be sexier and riper for the plucking...that plum note...than I really am! I have also wondered if people asked themselves "what is she up to?" when I have worn this one. It's just that sultry.

Eventually the fruitiness dries down a bit and I get something I can wear more easily which is the floral chypre part of the scent!

The florals are lovely in this and rather well blended, the carnation and jasmine stand out a bit on me, but the other florals are hearder to tease out individually.

My favorite part of Femme is the very end, which lasts quite a while on me. The patchouli and amber are truly secondary players in this composition. Benzoin resin is the delicious star! In fact I'm not aware of a scent that does benzoin better than Femme or more than Femme. The oakmoss brightens it ever so slightly, but the basenotes remain warm and sultry.

For me, Femme is exquisitely and almost embarrasingly beautiful in its opening, and yes the opening is a big one. I would not wear this one anywhere that I would wish to be unnoticed. It is an attention getter.

BronxBeauty
BronxBeauty

I am looking for perfume to express some lost wild child in me -- as a talisman against menopause, if you will.

The Femme Rochas I bought for my birthday is just the thing on that score. It's like the original purple scent, eau de femme fatale -- rich, piercing, vulvic.

iMaverick
iMaverick

I received a generous sample of this scent which I understand is reformulated.

It opens dark, rich, and ambery, with dark plum notes. It gives way to a spicy heart, where I smell roses and cumin, which gives it a spicy, but dry and woody tone. Coriander appears, and I detect oakmoss in the composition as well. The drydown comprises of woody and musky notes.

This is a sensual scent. I think those who want to project a dark mystery about them, I think they would find Femme Rochas the perfect scent to convey that image.

EvilWhiteSnake
EvilWhiteSnake

Favorite for all time! This is a perfume lucky, for a young girls. I love this!

hollivomitsyou
hollivomitsyou

this one reacted badly with my chemistry i think which doesnt often happen. i got a distinct ammonia note after spilling too much of this on myself. luckily, it stayed close to me instead of bothering everyone else as well.

I've loved this scent for many years and never worn it. I got a mini when I was a young girl and fell in love, but it wasn't me at that age. Everytime I passed by a counter I sprayed this in EdT or EdP (better). I love the plum note that smells so refined in the whole composition. For sure it's a gorgeous extremely feminine, elegant and sensual scent. Not overly sexual, nor demure. Unfortunately it's still a little bit old-fashioned and it requires great charme to wear it easily. A gran dame in black lace and big hat can be scented with Femme.

this is one of my mum's favorite.although to my nose it's a classic,I see some differences between this one and the other classics.
first of all I really get plum note,which is a bit sour and gourmand at the same time and that's why I enjoy the first notes(though still it's not my cup of tea)
after then minutes,the fruity notes disappear and it becomes bitter sweet and warmer.to me it smells like coconut mixed with ylang-ylang.I think it gets some hints of bitterness from oakmoss.
the best part about it is the plum notes.that's all.

ktv0926
ktv0926

This one seems somehow dangerously sensual and sexy...it screams sensuality and seduction and femininity ... or at least that impression I can remember...I have to try it again!

I've tried it one more time and unfortunately, it has this particular old-fashioned note, that I was afraid to smell. The fragrance is still very appealing to me being extremely sensual.

Though I don't see myself wearing this fragrance (at least in the near future), I would be very pleased to smell this aroma on others.

kitz
kitz

I only like the modern version of Femme in EdP concentration. The EdT gives me a headache and feels much too floral and condensed to me. The EdP rather features the fruit notes. Also the chypre base seems to be stronger. The EdP is harder to come by as a full size but ironically the minis always seem to be the EdP.
I find the modern version to be quite true to the vintage formula, which seemed a bit mustier and of course didn´t have the famous cumin note.
If you like rich, sensual, full bodied perfumes then Femme will be worth a try.

gyftedgrammy
gyftedgrammy

Quickly became rancid when applied to my skin. Smelled like something on the clearance table at the local five and dime store. If you simply must try it, I strongly recommend a sample first.

Scent lover

Recently I compared Guerlain Mitsouko & Insolence EDT with Femme EDT. I thought that Insolence EDT has smth in common with Femme while in a mean time I was suggested that Mitsouko should have even more similarities. So I sprayed 3 of them on my hands and started this little experiment. I noticed that Mitsouko and Femme is about the peach scent. But Mitsouko was very strong in benzoin which I believe took all of the peach sweetness while Femme peach was very soft and warmed by leather presence. Mitsouko & Femme didnt look alike to me on the top & heart notes but it came together on the base notes as Mitsouko benzoin notes quiet down and Femme base notes were more about leathery peach to me. What about Insolence EDT? The fruit ripeness and softeness(though there is no peach in the scent) did have a similarity with Femme on heart notes. But that was it. I felt that Femme peach was ripe and just perfectly sweet and not overly sweet while Insolence fruits yet soft but overripen and even more sweeten by vanilla.
Anyhow, it may sound weird but the best balance between those 3 fragrances was Femme. I felt an intense peach and leather accord and the perfume is just right in every step while Guerlain Mitsouko on top & heart notes was very strong in benzoin note which is nice masculine note to me but yet a bit overtaking of a full fragrance. Insolence is seriously rippen and sweet fruits with vanilla and I am missing a bit of a balance with it. (I think they did right with Insolence EDP though!).

Scent lover

Delicious and warm. Loving it!

jeca
jeca

I have it in EDT version, but as soirdelune said it didn't smell right. :o( First 10 minutes I just can't stand.

solocha
solocha

It has beautiful smell, of sweet chocolate and a marvellous drydown. It's also classic and smells elegant.

winx61
winx61

Uno dei migliori profumi del secolo. Lo consiglio a donne generose e corpose...
Adoro la nota di cumino che emana... un favoloso chypre...

soirdelune
soirdelune

This is a perfume I have tried desperately to love, but have never really got along with. I remember loving it as a child, perhaps because an older female relative wore it, then it was reformulated some time in the late 80s/early 90s. After this time, it just didn't smell right on me. Perhaps it is my skin tone, but a strong cumin note was prominent. What I can say is that the non-spray EDT was much prettier than the spray version. Don't know why!

longhua1313
longhua1313

sexy,sexy,sexy

Femme Rochas by Rochas 3.86 out of 5 based on 836 ratings and 190 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Rochas Femme Rochas fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Rochas Femme Rochas, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Femme Rochas by Rochas. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Femme Rochas by Rochas represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.