Designers » R S » Leather « Groups

Globe Rochas for men

Globe Rochas for men
dislike

Globe Rochas for men Pictures Globe Rochas for men Pictures Globe Rochas for men Pictures

Globe by Rochas is a Leather fragrance for men. Globe was launched in 1991. The nose behind this fragrance is Nicolas Mamounas. Top notes are artemisia, caraway, coriander, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are carnation, fir, jasmine, caraway, lily-of-the-valley, rose and geranium; base notes are labdanum, leather, sandalwood, patchouli, musk, vetiver and cedar.

Artemisia Caraway Coriander Bergamot Lemon

Carnation Fir Jasmine Caraway Lily-of-the-Valley Rose Geranium

Labdanum Leather Sandalwood Patchouli Musk Vetiver Cedar

Globe Fragrance Reviews

jtd
jtd

Globe is one of the lost boys from the 90s. Guerlain Heritage (the only one of the bunch still in production), Jacomo Anthracite, Givenchy Insense, Paco Rabanne Tenere.  Diverse trends led to the perfumes of the 90s. The fougères from the 70s, the power frags from the 80s, the remapping of the terrain by Davidoff Cool Water. The fragrances themselves have a range of olfactory qualities and don’t smell alike, but they are a cohort, and they were launched into similar markets. There are a plenty of opinions as to why this set of fragrances didn't take hold, and an equal number of opinions as to the meaning of their failures.

Assuming all of the above forces and trends, let's just take a look at the perfume.

Globe didn't jump out at me the first time I wore it. I certainly have fallen for perfumes at first sniff (Insense, 1969, Egoiste, Liaisons Dangereuses.) These perfumes back up their promises with the goods. If what you're selling is (capital-B) Beauty, you better be ravishing. I've had to work on some of the more meaningful perfumes.  (Aromatics Elixir, Cristalle, Vol De Nuit.). Not every perfume offers the same thing, and my love or value of a perfume isn't be based strictly on the first impression.  In fact, it's the challenging perfumes that bring me back.  Uncertainty can be delicious.

The perfume that Globe brought to mind when I first tried it, is Baldessarini, a perfume I don’t particularly like. I find Baldessarini a ‘sweet nothing’. All I get from it is a lingering sweetness. There were some vague perfumes coming out at this time, with blurred qualities. Vaguely sweet. Vaguely fresh. Vaguely water-like.  Some conquered this era and were able to pursue minimalism. Case in point is Jean-Claude Ellena, currently the in-house perfumer for Hermes, whom many cite as the creator of Globe.  (Wikipedia and Now Smell This.  Fragrantica and Basenotes cite Nicolas Mamounas, the perfumer who created Byzance, Mystere and others for Rochas, as the perfumer who composed Globe.) Many perfume houses misunderstood the impetus for minimalism and instead created wan, pale, diluted perfumes.

I missed the point when I looked at Globe through the lens of Baldessarini. With Globe, Rochas offered not so much minimalism as subtlety. Globe is a sweet floral chypre, with a medicinal tone that ties the balsams to a peppery carnation, offering not so much an exact scent as a feeling of chilled sweetness.   It suggests the apprehensiveness of an overcast day. Will the cover break, or will it rain? Globe smells like glare and the palor of light through clouds, and connotes weather in the same way that Hermes Equipage does. Equipage is more crisp and incisive, but both share a coolness that I associate with a cool season or climate. Also Like Equipage, Globe has grown on me and I’ve come to appreciate its virtues over the years. I wonder how Globe would fare if it were released today.

Why Globe was discontinued is an open question. Luca Turin groups Globe with the 'lost boys' I mention above, suggesting that they were too good or too pure to survive an era that called for cleansing and reparation from its men's fragrances. I won't disagree. Shame, though. Globe would have been a great alternative to so many of the sport/fresh/aqua fragrances of the 1990s. It rang a few of the proper bells, being chilled and smooth, but didn't come with the mark of being a Cool Water clone.

RUDOLFO512
RUDOLFO512

Globe is a delight! I ordered a tester at a low price to try it out and I am glad I did. I love the floral/herbal opening. In my opinion it is safe to wear day or night. I am wearing it today to the office and two of my co-workers already gave me compliments. I wish I had the bottle with the metal around it, it looks cool.

krmarich
krmarich

This has been on my most wanted list for years and I blindly took the plunge. I had high hopes and was not disappointed.

This escaped me when it was released, so I begin my relationship today with this spectacular warm weather friend. I was no stranger to Rochas. In fact I adore Lumiere and Byzance. Globe is larger than life. The entire package including its metal encased bottle are splendid.

My first spray was typical for the time-1991. Its fresh, green and warm weather friendly. Green pine, vetiver, patcholi and oakmoss create a familiar chypre that leaves you feeling like you just stepped out of the shower. The pine has that "pencil shaving" quality. Indeed, it starts on familiar ground, then it ventures into someplace else-fragrance as fine art.

After a few hours, the flowers start to bloom and it takes you where few others dare. This is a definitive floral for men. Its one of the best as far as I am concerned. It is better than Heritage, Boucheron and Insense. That say a lot from me, because those are alway on my top shelf.

I get labdanum, jasmine, rose and lily of the valley for hours with carnation and tobacco flower. Soft, creamy leather and sandalwood finish things off. Its not unisex at all, just very floral. Its one of those fragrances that make you want to write poetry alone in the moonlight. I am lost for words.

It seems strange that a 23 year old bottle of fragrance can seem so contemporary, yet we are speaking of Rochas in th 20th C. For the curious, trust me on this one and get a bottle! Supplies are dwindling.

If you've tried Quorom, think about knocking out the strong lavender in it and sweetening it up slightly and adding quite a bit of spice. Globe is also smoother. Another idea is that it's like a smoother Z-14 or a less floral Perry Ellis for Men (1985), the vintage version only. This has very nice aromatic qualities but is well balanced; and it's totally natural smelling, with excellent depth. If you expect something head and shoulders above similar ones you may be disappointed, but this is very well done for what it is, and may be the solution for those who find Z-14 or Quorum to be too crude or unbalanced.

LANIER
LANIER

I found this wonderful French cologne when I couldn’t locate my favorite Pour Monsieur by Chanel. What a delicious discovery. With notes of Lemon, leather, and tobacco to name just a few, it has a sparkling citrus shimmer like the Chanel but more on the summery side. Less Place Vendome at midnight and more like a spring rain under the trees of the Place des Vosges. Smart, with wit and élan it is a very good scent for the guy who likes to go beyond the obvious to something really special. I have to say for me, Chanel's Pour Monsieur and Rochas Globe are running neck and neck as my signature scent.
Five Sliver Stars *****

lupofamoso
lupofamoso

This a very fine and exquisite fragance, classy and powerful, I'm looking forward this one again !!!

leecher88
leecher88

i got it but dont like it there is just something i dont like but i cant describe which note it is sry

Oh wauw!!! Rochas is such a MYTHICAL perfume house and this perfume having this extreme mythical effect on me! I NEVER smelled it, but looking at the ad, the notes and the aura of the bottle, it screams WAUW!!!

AJ73
AJ73

This was one of my first bottels of cologne. I remember I loved it. The advertisement is great too with that strong veined arm of Atlas holding the globe.

mariotgomez
mariotgomez

I received a sample of this scent from a friend. From the first spray of this fragrance it threw me back to an era where fragrances were overwhelming and introduced you before you enter the room (80"s & early 90'S). The top notes were so overwhelming I almost wanted to wash it off.

I am glad I decided to wait because the scent quickly (20 minutes) softens out to a nice spicy and leathery notes. Although there are floral notes in this fragrance, you do not notice them at all.

The warm down is a defiantly a masculine scent of sandalwood, vetiver and patchouli. I agree with quiwings, it is a good fragrance, but it does not stand out enough to be unique to any aficionado of perfumes.

guiwings
guiwings

I think it's a litle too sweet, but a good fragrance

guest_deja vu
guest_deja vu

a very pleasent and long lasting scent for evening time that enrich the sexual desire for female

Globe by Rochas 3.64 out of 5 based on 70 ratings and 12 user reviews

Globe Cologne by Rochas, 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Men
Globe Cologne by Rochas, 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Men
Globe Cologne by Rochas - 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray
Globe Cologne by Rochas - 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Rochas Globe fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Rochas Globe, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Globe by Rochas. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Globe by Rochas represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.