Designers » R S » Floral Aldehyde « Groups

Madame Rochas Rochas for women
dislike

aldehydic
Madame Rochas Rochas for women Pictures Madame Rochas Rochas for women Pictures

Madame Rochas first appeared in 1960 and reappeared in 1989 in its second edition. The nose behind this perfume is Guy Robert, who put aldehydes, bergamot, lemon and neroli at the top. The middle notes are flowery: jasmine, rose, tuberose, Lily-of-the-valley, Oriss root, ylang-ylang, violet and narcissus, whilst the base touches us with sandalwood, vetiver, musk, along with the accords of cedar, oakmoss and tonka beans. First edition represents a replica of an 18th century bottle and is signed by Madam Rochas herself. The new edition package was designed by Pierre Dinand and is available in 30, 50 and 100 ml edt.

Aldehydes Honeysuckle Orange Blossom Green Notes Hiacynth Neroli Bergamot Lemon

Tuberose iris Violet Orris Root Jasmine Ylang-Ylang Lily-of-the-Valley Bulgarian Rose Narcissus

Sandalwood Tonka Bean Amber Musk Oakmoss Vetiver Cedar

Amouage Gold pour Femme
Caleche
Doblis
Climat (La Collection Fragrances)
L'Aimant

Madame Rochas Fragrance Reviews

Eden Street
Eden Street

Firstly, I own the recent EdT, which has sat on my shelf for a good while. Secondly, I am only 18 years old and feel like this perfume aims for an older audience. Thirdly, I'm pretty new to the perfume scene so please take this review with a grain of salt (or sugar, hehe).

On me, at first it's very soapy before transitioning into a sweet floral that is just a tad powdery. My mom owns the original parfum, and I can definitely smell the top, middle and base notes better in the original then the newer toillette.

Personally, I like this scent but it's quite hard for me to wear and it's very easy to accidentally spray too much and overpower everyone. If I do wear it, it has to be a very light application. However, I do hope to eventually grow into this perfume as I get older as it's very nice and very classic. I sort of see this perfume as an older, sophsticated and elegant lady that is just not quite right for me just yet.

L'Homme Vert
L'Homme Vert

I too like so many folks here scour the listings searching for Madame Rochas in the stronger concentrations, I was fortunate to have found a couple of the eau de parfum 100 ml. natural sprays last year, these bottles have the beaded gold collars around the neck just below the vapo' button/cap whereas the eau de toilette atomiser is all glass. This time frame (1995-2000) marked the end of production for this potent eau de parfum reorchestration (late 80's) & were used predominately by department stores here in 'Oz' as testers to sell the edt, it is divinely *LUSH* as well as classically chic alas it is also heartbreaking to know that it is no longer available, not necessary to describe this Guy Robert masterpiece as devotees of this iconic juice are familiar with it's pristine white florals, velteteen oakmoss & civety/ musky delights, following later with a 75 ml. gold metallic cased limited edition vapo' that survived for a short lived period although it can still be found occasionally online. Regardless of the endless choice of top shelf fragrances on the market today this 1960's vintage beauty still tugs heavily at my olfactive heart-strings. The present edt. iteration in my opinion is a mean, thin, pale watered down skin-scent, worlds away from the wizardry of Guy Robert's original invention. Where have all the flowers gone, a long time passing. Quelle tragique !!!

moreorlessa
moreorlessa

Stunning. Madame Rochas is very soapy, botanical, crisp, fresh, clean, powdery and woody. Very old school and distinctive, but still airy and delicate, which you wouldn't usually expect from a chypre.

boruvka44
boruvka44

Old fashioned (♥) flower-sandalwood soap in a dresser drawer. Similar to Marks & Spencer Florentina Iris soaps, here with narcissus and without soapy sharpness.
I find my recent version of EDT very similar to L´Aimant - soft musky sweet.
Mom kind of scent, in the best meaning - feminine, grown up, delicate and clean.
I love it on my scarf in these cold-windy-sunny spring days.
Perfect match of the beautiful flacon and the tender scent.

Sherihan
Sherihan

New bottle, smells as Devine as the version from 80's, complexed, powdery in an intimate way, I really felt like it is so personal like a night gown, and that only me allowed to smell it on me...! first impression: gentle, simple,green,innocent.
But after sometime: sexy,seductive,hot= not innocent at all! but childish enough to spray a little on childrens' clothes. I'm not that much into it, but love it for it is an artistic creation on its own. Similarity between Madame and Caleche is very apparent.

Henriette
Henriette

I can't tell what it was in its original formula and much less what it will be in the new reformulation, but the in-between version is simply gorgeous.
On my skin there's no soapy hue, just a continuous blasting of flowers, a bunch after another, rich, richer, richer, up to the drydown that's sumptuous.
Perhaps when I disregarded it, in the '70es, when I was a teenager looking for more bombastic fragrances (Opium, Magie Noire and Halston were my most favourite) I could not find a place for this subdued (but never insipid) beauty.
Try going capture the tones between the lines, a thrilling experience.
Now I find it perfect and, mind you, a little bombastic, yes, not so subdued as one might think.
Wear it on a cold day with an elegant dress, one that makes you feel special, and Madame Rochas will be you, so chic, classy, beautiful, wonderful.

SolangeN
SolangeN

An insipid approximation of what was originally a masterpiece. Faint rose and iris with a soft musky base. The original was a dense citrusy/chypric floral with an old school "cigarette butt" hit that lingered just behind your sinuses, in a good way. Sad, sad, sad. There is no point to this version. Might as well just wear Calandre - it's similar with a hint of edge (not much punch left there either though).

Angel in the South
Angel in the South

I have recently been wearing this perfume again. I actually won this wonderful bottle of Madam Rochas at a dinner dance to celebrate the wedding of Diana Spencer to Prince Charles. How many years have I had this gem in my wardrobe? It is still as beautiful as ever. Not spoiled at all. I think that it is a beautiful, classic and utterly feminine perfume and it is bringing back wonderful memories of that day, many years ago. I am older now so I fully appreciate this little masterpiece.

FreyaMarie
FreyaMarie

I found a 10ml glass vial of the original formula while playing in my grandmother's attic fifteen years or so ago. I do remember that the whole cupboard I found it in smelled very nice, but not until yesterday when the bottle reappeared during cleaning did I connect that smell with the perfume.

My bottle must be about 40 years old, and it has definitely aged well. The citrus top notes are almost entirely gone, and I now smell a wonderfully well-balanced blend of powdery wood and aldehydes with some sweet white flowers. It smells to me like Elnett hairspray or a much softer, less soapy version of Chanel No 5. Very feminine, very old-fashioned, yet very wearable.

There was just a few drops left in my bottle when I found it, so I will be saving it for the particularly boudoirish moments in life.

Deborahwilliams
Deborahwilliams

Madame Rochas reminds me of sophistication, subtle bound to be registered by the senses, just beautiful

hadas
hadas

I've never experienced such a huge divergence in vintage vs. modern versions as I did with Madame Rochas. I fell in love several years ago with the vintage version, and recently tried the modern EDT for comparison, naively assuming they would smell at least recognizably similar. Nope. They do not even smell remotely like the same perfume. Which is just so sad, as Guy Robert's 1960 creation was so filled with high quality natural essences and was such an incredible feat of balance, an apex in French perfumery.

The vintage version had the absolute perfect amounts of sharp aldehyde & citrus, lovely rose, tropical white floral, powdery orris, bitter moss and warm, woody sandal. So perfect were the proportions of each main ingredient that the effect became more than the sum of its parts. I consider it to have been the perfect fragrance, so harmonious and pleasing was the blend. The old stuff reverberated with high-quality natural essences and although categorized as an 'aldehydic floral,' it had a considerable earthy, chypre wallop. According to its creator Guy Robert, Madame Rochas contained "the best quality natural jasmine, tuberose, orange blossom, rose, and iris." Perfume scholar Roja Dove correctly notes a natural leathery facet to Madame Rochas, although no leather ingredients were added; the incredible warmth of vintage Madame Rochas at times creates the impression a brown, leather saddle warming in the sunlight.

This perfume was elegantly beautiful. But the original did not survive the fragrance massacres, sadly. The modern EDT is a slashed, synthetic re-interpretation, smelling somewhat like the 2005 La Collection version of Climat, but much worse for wear. It's not unpleasant, but it's also not Madame Rochas...or anything close. I cherish my vintage horde of this fragrance so much.

(Note: Unfortunately, because it was comprised of so many natural essences, the vintage MR from the 60s & 70s does not hold up all that well, I've noticed - often smells stale, weak, or is completely missing its top and middle floral notes, and this vulnerability seems to be true of both EDC & PdT especially. So sad, but natural flowers do wilt & die eventually - even in perfumes. I've recently bought lots and lots of vintage bottles of MR in those 2 concentrations from online sites, and over 3/4 of them smelled weak or stale, missing lots of notes. If you find a vintage bottle with the symphonic floral notes still present, consider yourself lucky!)

Angelinapink
Angelinapink

I love Madame Rochas. I love Femme, but Madame is somehow more wearable, and perfect for daytime. So soft, so elegant, and on first spray it sparkles with the beautiful scent of white flowers. I wore this some time ago and have recently discovered it again. Like a long lost friend. I cannot believe that I waited so long.
I love Chypres, but I didn't realise that this was a Chypres.
The dry down is soft and powdery. It smells French. it smells elegant. It smells expensive.

Mistress Eva
Mistress Eva

I was a bit disappointed with how this one wore on me. I am a big fan of vintage perfumes, but sometimes I struggle finding one that smells good on me. Unfortunately, the aldehydes were completely overpowering on me -- in fact, it smelled an awful lot like bug spray. I'm not sure if it was old when I got it and had become a bit imbalanced (it hadn't gone obviously bad) or if the perfume just worked poorly with my chemistry. Either way, I can't say that I would recommend this one as a blind buy to anyone. Definitely try it first!

Soignee
Soignee

This perfume doesn't work for me. Its woodiness is overpowering for me. It gives me an instant headache.

cumulnimbus
cumulnimbus

Just a few hours ago I bought a full 100ml vintage pdt bottle with original white cap from an old town shop. I'm so excited with this achievement.

My mother still has a gigantic and now empty bottle of Madame Rochas which she received as a wedding present from one of her best friends back in december of 1967. So this scent was one of the gems that I was exposed to as a girl. It is true my mother never owned too many scents but I must say she never wore a bad one.

Adding this perfume in its original formula to my collection is also a way of honouring Guy Robert's memory now that it will soon have gone a year of his passing away. I only came to know he was the common creator of some of my preferred scents, Calèche and Dioressence to be added to this one, when I started to get interested in learning more about perfumes. So I feel I'm in debt with him.

As many other said before me Calèche and Madame Rochas are sisters, I didn't have the chance to stated it but some say there are other two younger sisters in Gucci nº1 and Amouage Gold. I'll try to sort this out in the future.

As someone pretty familiar with both of the older sisters I must say they are still quite different to me. Madame is clearly the older child with many more flowers and attentions than her young sister who managed to create an even more delicate, independent and joyful character with less effort and notes. Like real sisters they share the bases of their education so their drydown is where I find them more alike.

Madame Rochas is a beautiful, beautiful blend of extraordinary materials which work coming in and out in turns for a sophisticated still reserved experience. I'm so happy to have it.

Berlynn
Berlynn

Very soft and powdery, slightly soapy, yet pretty. Nice for colder weather. A little strong on initial application, but dries down into something very beautiful.

jake.shouse
jake.shouse

Is that a sticker on the bottle with the name on it ? I'm gonna buy this but without the name on the bottle it would look cheap and if it's a sticker on the bottle does it pill of easy ?

Fizzy
Fizzy

Very nice clean soapy and aldehydic daily scent, not too strong but also not weak.

joliecat
joliecat

Oh how beautiful ! I have the new EDT version.

Madame Rochas is soft, lightly powdery, subtle and expertly balanced floral. On my skin Madame has a little twinkle of a spicy kick from the orris note that stays throughout the drydown. It gives this fragrance a personality that I LOVE !

Madame Rochas smells very expensive, refined, upper class, accustomed to posh surroundings, but not aloof. There is an interesting underlying spark of clever wit in this well bred lady.

Once again, thanks to all of you for both positive and negative reviews. You helped me tremendously to select this fragrance and I'm so happy to have it now ! Madame Rochas will remain a top shelf favorite of mine forever !

suhaesa
suhaesa

this perfume reminds me of my mother immensely..every time i smell it, i am taken back to my childhood years..its a sophisticated.. fine.. french ..fragrance full of class.. and femininity.. and strength.. just like my mother.. elegant.. tall.. and subtle.. yet wonderful and full of surprises..
its a perfume fit for a queen ..a european queen.. its some how British.. french.. or from Europe ..it smells like the 70ies and 80ies although i was born in the 80ies i would still think that this is how elegant women smelled like back then ..
its a bit powdery.. a bit balmy.. a bit musky.. a lot aldehydic floral.. but nice.. non head each inducing florals.. its also woodsy .its a bit green with some other florals..its clean a bit soapy a lot perfumey.. its how a perfume should smell like..its in a class of its own.. a masterpiece..a perfumers perfume... ..its a dream perfume.. i think its very motherly..there is something in it that has that motherly tender touch to it.. yet with all the strength.. and confidence.. and faith a mother has ..

edp 100 ml natural vaporiser
perfume ratting 4.5 out 5
bottle ratting 4.6 out 5
my personal likeing ratting 4.7 out 5

Oh how I love a good floral aldehyde like this one. It's powdery, floral, glamourous, vintage yet classic. A beautiful thing about this scent is that the aldehydes are never overpowering. The sharp blast that comes from some aldehydes is much softer here. As this beauty dries down, the florals continually develop and intermingle. My skin magnifies ylang ylang, and so it does with this one. A scent like this is so well balanced, it has the power to be soft and powdery, yet project an air of confidence and strength. I wouldn't call this sexy, it's a bit too ladylike, verging on demure. But it's one beautiful scent, a classic. I am reviewing the current formulation. I haven't tried any other version before this, but I do think this one is fantastic.

AngieGCarp
AngieGCarp

I think Drugstore Lady says it best. I found that it is very light compared to Rochas Femme but still just as beautiful and warm. I must have a large bottle of this because my sampler won't last long. Just lovely!

Happy Perfuming! ♥

calyx93
calyx93

A somewhat more savory take on Rive Gauche - I know it may sound odd, but to me there is a rich vegetal feel to it - as though a hearty broth is simmering in the background somewhere - I think this is the oakmoss and the doughy orris coming through. All while the white flowers and other floral notes weave in and out - like the whiffs caught from the grand table's centerpiece arrangement.

Reminds me of formal dinners in my family home - I love it.

amelie

@pausini, you may write a little more, to help others share your emotion

drugstore classics
drugstore classics

I am in love. It is not the fleeting passion of a moment, but the quiet attraction that grows into a lifetime of devotion. What a dazzling woman Madame Rochas is!

As Scent lover astutely observes, Madame Rochas feels very like the gentlest of chypres ~ refined and graceful.

I suppose that on the wrong person this lovely scent could be horrifying. On my chemistry, the modern edt is never overpowering and can be sprayed with abandon. If Aldeyhdes bother you, this is one to avoid. For me, they add the finishing touch of sparkle to a perfect construction.

Many thanks to all the gracious friends here at Fragrantica who enabled me to choose this elegant lady!

UPDATE ~ Wearing this in the summer heat has lifted Madame to even greater heights. My chemistry blends with it far better now - the dryness becoming warmly earthy and utterly satisfying. I could wear this on safari Or to a banquet. She is minimal, chic, and mysterious.

We have a WINNER.

TillyWave
TillyWave

I have a bottle of the old (vintage?) EDC in a splash bottle, recently obtained in a swap. I decanted into a sprayer, and applied. I prepared to be suffesed with a good dose of overpowering, old school aldehydes, and florals done right, with heaps of wood and oakmoss. It's an old grand French Perfume, right?

Well, this is surprisingly LIGHT. There are the soapy aldehydes in the topnotes, with gorgeous citrus and lilac/hyacinth highlights, that are unfortunately fleeting. Mme. Rochas becomes more powdery/iris/well blended floral for bit. Then quickly comes the drydown, a hint of oakmoss, wood, powder, and dark florals.

I love all of it, but the top/heart goes by in a flash, and everything could be about 10 times stronger. This wears like a skin scent, and is gone completely in 2-3 hours. I may have to buy a new bottle of the EDT to investigate further. Mme. Rochas is beautiful but leaves me wanting more.

9-na
9-na

Vintage. My Mummy had it, I like to wear it. The scent is the smallest trace of woody notes plus the whisper of greenness on me, and it is ruthlessly beautiful aldehydes. And - dryness of it, a bit rough to the touch. I love this scent.

Guy Robert made this fragrance 3 times:
1. For Rochas and called it Madame Rochas
2. For Hermes and called it Calèche
3. For Amouage and called it Gold.

Talia
Talia

A perfect perfume for a perfect woman.

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

Although I've completely fallen head over heels for Rochas(RIP), this one was one that I didn't invest much interest in. Since these great fragrances are no longer in production, I've been buying up what I can find.

Well, Madame may be the very best perfume of the brand.

If this was reformulated in 1989, it didn't stop it from smelling like 1960! Indeed, this is Baghari, Climat, and Magie with the stature and absurd elegance of Arpege and No. 5. This may be the best perfume of this genre, though. The floral aldehydic notes and the warmth of the base are just to die for. It's no wonder Sophia Loren advertised this fragrance - it is as definitively 60s as she is. It is much more difficult for me to pull off as a man than the other fragrances - Chanel no 5 is very manly in comparison! This smells like the kind of cartoonish elegance that doesn't exist anymore - furs, diamonds, gloves, and chivalry. I think this genre all but died out with that image. Still, I admire it and plan on wearing it a good bit this Winter.

milena

A unique fragrance to me, even after the reformulation. I love this perfume. Very femenine, soft,classic,alluring a real sexy and sophisticated scent. My signature next to chanel no 22. My everyday every where scent for all occasions.

ammebirds
ammebirds

I wore and loved this scent in my 30s and received many compliments, but the formula seemed to change and became less complex, around the mid 1980s.

smellarama
smellarama

My mum gave this to me - it was my first fragrance. Back then I thought it was a bit 'grown up' for me, so I would just squirt the tiniest amount and dab it on either side of my neck. I still wore it, but in that 'timid' way.

pippab
pippab

I bought this a few years ago - not sure why, and although I finished the bottle, I certainly won't be going there again.

It's strange how smells can evoke memories from our childhoods, and I detected an unpleasant note that I remember from way back when. I don't know what, but it was sharp and stale. It reminded me of my friend's bedroom which always smelled peculiar. True, whatever it was it faded into the background with the drydown, but still it kind of bothered me. Different strokes for different folks.

WINODCUMAR
WINODCUMAR

Madame Rochas is one of the timeless Classic Perfumes of all times. The elegant breeze of smell is really classic.

fazalcheema

i have madame rochas parfum de toilette...its drydown has some similarity to rive gauche dry down...but i cant say the same for latest madame rochas since never smell it..jusdging from the reviews, the modern version is ruined formulation so try vintage to get the real beauty of this scent

Perfumefreak
Perfumefreak

I bought this for my mom, exclusively. With love.
Mom said she used to wear this when she was a young lady, in the 60s.
I tested MD on my wrist.
It is so much like YSL Y.
Although, Madame Rochas is more luxurious and fruitier than Y. Y is mossier and a bit drier.
And the bottle is so classy and beautiful.
The best thing is, Madame Rochas is not overpowering at all.
Hope my mom is happy. ;-)
I am, for her.

Jellybean
Jellybean

Intense at first, but it turns out to be juicy, powdery, luscious floral. Aldehyde, sandalwood, iris and oakmoss are primary notes expressed.
Vintage.
It warms up with time to powdery-musky aldehyic scent. Floral mumble jumble present all the way thru. With that being said it continues to maintain its strength. Somewhat syntheticy.
Lasts 5ish hours.

LaDomna

I just recently found the new formulation edt in a shop and could compare it to my vintage edc... and I must say that the new edt was a dissapointment... I have never smelled the vintage edt though so I can´t directly compare...

But anyway, the flowers were more heady, almost cloying in the new edt and there was virtually none of the glorious powdery spicyness that I love with the old edc... My old one is way more classy and cool! I guess it´s still an ok scent, but the new one is more floral and less powdery chypre...

dlane1953
dlane1953

The currently available formulation of the EDT is a beautiful scent, and if vintage is better than this, well--is that possible? A warm, spicy fragrance that can be worn day or night.

The aldehydes are very gentle in the opening notes, I detect more citrusy notes than aldehydes. The middle floral notes make this frag sound as if it would be a flowery-sweet sensory overload, but not so. I'm usually repelled by super sweet fragrances and I wear this one very often so trust me on this; somehow the perfumer manages to make those sweet florals come off in a smoothly blended, sophisicated way. This is not a girly-girl cloying perfume. I find a spiciness in the heart and drydown that defies explanation; there are no spicy notes listed but I could swear they are there.

The drydown is resinous, rich, and woody, making this one of my personal favorites. Madame Rochas comes pretty close to being my "default" fragrance these days. Sillage very good, longevity great, about 9 hours on me. Another reason to love it!

allyendawn
allyendawn

I just received it and it is FABULOUS!!! I cannot believe how complex and elegant this masterpiece could be! Annica, you are right, Madame Rochas is The Perfume!

jessyparis
jessyparis

this is one a the most unique floral green aldehydes. It stood out all over the years thanks to the richness of all of the ingredients. The openening is sharply and energisingly made of green mossy and earthly notes, soon after this fresh breeze of a springtime gust of vibrant green, comes the floral white and powedrey scents though not that softy feminine kind of flowery feminine. The deepness of the woody and spicy mixture of precious sandal, cedar woods along with vetiver create a perpetual bitterness that makes the whole difference of this scent delivering a veil of an elegantly appreciated floral fragrance. In a nutshell, a very outsdating floral, musky, green, still slightly powdery but not talckish great creation. I would recommend this for all Climat de Lancome and Dioressence lovers. Climat is much more powdery and aldehydic. Dioressence stands out with much sweeter notes in the openening and much animalic in the deeper notes.

Annica
Annica

If a scent can set the bar for respect, admiration and some trepidation, perhaps, this is the Perfume with a capital P. I can still, despite my age, feel that I begin to fix my hair and clothes when a woman wears this perfume near me. Maybe it is a memory from school....

LaDomna

Ok, I´ve decided, after a long and hard deliberation, that of my two grandmother-heirlooms I love Madame Rochas more than Venice... I think this means that I´m all grown up... I´ve been wearing Madame Rochas regularly these last couple of months and, though I still find her to be a very elegant and mature lady, I can also now see her as a little seductive and playful... At least she is not strikt or uptight even if she is classy! I´ve been wearing Madame Rochas to bed a lot as I find the scent quite calming!

Jayne58
Jayne58

An old favourite and a budget marvel, Madame Rochas is my wake-up before the alarm, get out of bed refreshed, have a shower, put on a pressed white blouse and well-tailored skirt and I'm ready for business scent.

This is a crisp, sparklingly clean floral which is always appropriate.

akats
akats

I had this in 1977, obviously before its reformulation, and I loved it. Of coarse for a ten years old kid, was very strange to wear such a mature perfume. I remember clearly its classy quality. Recently, I tested it again and I found it lighter (ok, I tested the edt), and less spiced (peppery?) powdery as I remembered it. I think the modern version emphasises on green notes and less on balmy woody ones. It's dry down is more recognisable to me. It is still a unique fragrance with a retro feeling, worth been discovered again.

fazalcheema

so gorgeous...i got vintage version and even though i am a straight male, i wont hesitate to wear it..i also have vintage Rochas Femme but this one blows Femme away...one of my top ten most beautiful fragrances that were/have been exclusively marketed to women..and this list includes Nombre Noir, Shiseido Feminite Du Bois, Calandre, and Rive Gauche

chucha
chucha

30 лет назад я поступила в институт и родители подарили мне Madame Roshas. Эти духи были и остались для меня воплощением нежности. Изящный цилиндрик я храню до сих пор и периодически наслаждаюсь ароматом - запах не изменился.

LaDomna

When my grandmother died about 10 years ago two of her perfumes became mine... One was Venice EdT by Yves Rocher and the other was an almost full 100 ml(?) bottle of Madame Rochas EdC. Back when I first got the two perfumes I liked Venice and hated Madame Rochas (but liked the bottle so saved it anyway)... Of course, I was a teenager at the time and Madame Rochas demands some maturity.
It now amuses me that the two perfumes are so different, one is hot, voluptuous, sexy and very loud, the other (Madame Rochas) is cool, elegant, ladylike and subtle. Nowadays I love both of my grandmothers perfumes. Venice makes me feel sexy and Madame Rochas makes me feel classy!

emily7
emily7

Opens with sharp, green and soapy aldehydes and evolves into warm woody and mossy, very classy and opulent chypre suitable only for elegant clothes - or at least for an elegant state of mind.
There are some similarities with EL Knowing; Knowing is dark, almost gothic rose covered with thick moss and is somehow heavy with its enormous staying power, where Madame Rochas feels lighter (narcissus, hiacynth, orange flower), brighter (bergamot, lemon) and has more airy quality (aldehydes), but remains a thoroughbred chypre still capable to take one back to the golden age of perfumery.

Money can't buy you class, but seems that Rochas can. (EDT)

cinsot
cinsot

Whenever I inhale the elegant redolence of Madame Rochas I expel a sorrowful sigh, becoming somewhat starry-eyed with nostalgia in the process.

Darling daffodils swaying gently in rhythm mesmerizing me with their golden dance. High altitude chills startle me from my trance. Something is coming.

Ill-starred aldehydes and moss. Then I remember. I can barely tolerate those once admired features of classically constructed perfumery these days.

Once cherished childhood aromas have lost their innocence.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

artsyrn
artsyrn

This starts out a soft green/citrus aldehyde then moves into a light floral powdery affair and later the powdery sweetness intensifies along with the woody accords. This woman is stylish, refined, polite,and in control.

krmarich
krmarich

In 1960, Helene Rochas launched a mighty perfume house with Guy Robert. It was a floral chypre of the grandest order. This is well matched to Jackie Kennedy when she visited Paris. Golden, clean, expensive elegance.

It was Arpege revisited for the 1960s. The aldehydes open a very April morning. Hyacinth, lemon and neroli lead to tuberose rose and jasmine. The chypre accord is subtle, gently propelling the florals and woods on for hours. Its bright and graceful, encouraging the new jet set to take a flight to Paris just to pick up a bottle

It set the stage for Caleche, its drier twin sister and would influence the market for quite awhile. YSL Y, Chamade and Calandre pushed aside to hippy style of the 1960s and created "Parisian Glam or Mod". Serge Gainsbourg, French cinema, haute couture and these fine perfumes became "cool".

Then in 2000, Maison Rochas fell. All of the classics were reformulated. The bricks made of gold and diamond dust were replaced with cheap cardboard. Haute perfumerie was no more.

milena

Ah Madame Rochas.....Very feminine and very sophisticated. My no.1 even the reformulated version still has that flair and allure. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. Elegant and sensual very womanly.A Classic.....

passionata20

My review is for vintage formula in Parfum de toilette and vintage pure parfum.

Firstly when i sniff it out of the botlle it is an instant blast from the childhood: YES! that´s exactly how fragrances smelled when i was little girl and they were highly desirable objects, especially in USSR where i have been born. makes my heart melt: a bit sharp, a bit soapy, a bit powedrly. Everything is exactly in the right proportions.
Upon applying on my skin it opens up with a green-woodsy notes which soon transforms into soapy-creamy scent. It is a bit different than the current version, which has a more sharp opening and kind of metallic side effect. Usually i am not really fond of alhegydes but here they are sooo soft, i feel rose and tuberose in here. The drydown again returns to green notes, but still very soft ones. I agree with one of the previous review that the lasting power of vintage PdT is not that good as the current version, but long enough to be with you for almost the whole day.
This is a true lady-like fragrance, if you can wear alhegydes, then DO try it. Like i said before "lady" doesn´t mean you have to be middle aged, since you can be a lady at any age.

The pure parfum version is more strong on the green notes, vetyver especially and more strongly reminds me of the current edition of EDT. Here the soapy notes not that prominent, they are submissive to green notes. Lasting power is great (over 24h).

The best thin about "Madame" is that the sillage is just right for you to smell it, but not to be offensive to others! Really polite and madame-like perfume. The advertising image is sooooooo right for this perfume!

almondcookie
almondcookie

I purchased Madame after I read the wonderful reviews. In fact it was better than I expected. I ordered 2 bottles last year. Now I am running out. I am getting another bottle and a back up bottle.

perfumecollector
perfumecollector

My mother wore Madame Rochas years ago and I was immediately drawn to it for that reason. I remember smelling it as a little girl, thinking it smelled wonderful. And it still does.

Although I am a little bit on the fence with regard to using aldehydes right now(maybe in 8 -10 years from now), I find Madame Rochas the exception - it is amazingly wearable.

This perfume has been crafted masterfully. On me the aldehydes are quite muted. I get a lot of the florals in this, all the lovely flowers blended beautifully to create this elegant, graceful and feminine fragrance.

Oh and did I mention that this for me has perfect sillage and longevity? And how I love that.
How many fragrances have I come across that are either too light (water spiked in a bottle) or power bombs that make you long for fresh air and a bath? Not so Madame Rochas. She makes her presence felt in just the right proportion.

Madame Rochas brings mental pictures to my mind. Pictures of a beautiful elegant woman with classic style. Beautiful clothes, handbags and accessories. Old money but never arrogant, lovely and kind, but used to the best and she will rather go without than lower her standards.

Well, that's what a good perfume can do to me - set my imagination working! Now I need to get some Femme, another of my mom's faves.

Migalex
Migalex

Contrarily to what some people here seem to think, this is not an underrated perfume. It has actually been, throughout the times, one of the most iconic perfumes ever. May be young people think so because it is no longer sold in perfume shops and for the last few years it was being sold in chemists at least in England and on the internet for an obnoxious low price for its quality. It is still relatively cheap, but its price seems to be going up. But it is not underrated. It is for sure one of the most famous perfumes of the last century and, despite the comments made by some people here, much more famous and sophisticated than the majority (for me than any, actually) of Chanel perfumes. Twenty years ago this was a very expensive perfume. And although Madame Rochas asked when it was made to have a perfume between arpege and number five, it is leagues above any of them. You cannot go wrong with this one, although I agree that is suits better mature women, beacuse of its class and sophistication.The fact that it seems a bit forgotten and is sold cheap these days shows how much tastes and prices are driven by fashion, brand name and advertisement. The perfume being sold these days is exactly the reformulation of 1989 which, of which, 22 years ago, the 50 ml bottle cost more than the 100 ml bottle these days. When I was a child, virtually everyone would have heard the name of this perfume. As far as I know, this is the second reformulation. The original perfume, sold as parfum de toilette, smelled heavenly, better, for my taste, than the first and this 1989 reformulation, but the sillage and the longevity are better now. I remember (I might be wrong) its having a vry soft almondish edge, very different from the vanilla and almond scent so trendy these days, and was what I found most remarkable and unique (I never smelled it anywhere else) abou it and what I can remember most vividly.This last reformulation is very close to the first reformulation, mostly more powdery, because of the iris, but I actually like this one better, from any viewpoint, fragrance, lasting power and sillage. Far from underrated, this used to be and I think it still is one of the most famous perfumes in the world. And deservedly. It is absolutely marvellous. And I agree, (not nearly as important), but the bottle is also beautiful.
Rochas used to know how to make perfumes and everything to do with them. The bottles used to be beautiful, and so were the colours of some of them (the original lumiére was purple and byzance blue), and they produced light effects combined with the bottle colours. And they also knew how to give them names, without being pretentious. Lumiére is actually a beautiful name for a perfume. Not to mention the perfume. It is a pity that it is no lomger in production. I still have a bottle though. Marvellous perfume. Like Madame Rochas, although very different.

elfremar
elfremar

I have used this gorgeous fragrance for a number of years,and still love it as much as the first time I used it.It contains tuberose as do most of the perfumes I use.I has quite a powdery dry down and lasts ages on my skin.

Today I tried Madame Rochas. One spray on the neck gives a wonderful soft, warm, cosy and a little bit powdery scent - totally love it. But if I spray both neck and wrists it gets to loud and overwhelming - Use little and its gorgeous. A scent for a grown up woman, I think.

Så har jag provat Madame Rochas. En sprejning mot halsen räcker länge. En härligt varm, mjuk, kvinnlig och aningens pudrig doft omringar mig. Men om jag sprejar både hals och handleder så blir den tung o kvalmig. Använd bara lite och den är helt underbar för kvinnan mitt i livet.

LuaJane
LuaJane

Prolly one of my earliest memories of my mother is linked to this perfume. If fragrances have colours then this ones id definitely white. Fresh, clean, feminine and french as can be. She hasn't used it in quite some time now but I swear that even now when I borrow something hers it smells like this perfume. Or it could be nostalgia.

I do not know if the version I am reviewing is vintage or reformulated, but judging from the yellowing on the cellophane of the unopened gift set (100 ml EDT and 200 ml body lotion) purchased from another member, I am guessing it is the vintage. The bottle is exactly the same as the one pictured above and this SMELLS like a genuine 60's aldehyde floral...and then some!

The opening blast of this perfume is sheer greens and aldehydes a-plenty! Surround this with a haze of chartreuse citruses, and bright vernal flowers like fruity hyacinth, orange blossoms and honeysuckle. It comes on like March does, like a LION; but becomes more "lamb-like" as the heart notes bloom and the aldehydes fade slowly. Madame Rochas is one of those exquisitely blended multi-floral compositions that has so many flowers it is nigh on impossible to pick them all out. I get the cool steely iris and the crisp daffodils, and just a touch of powdery "floral sachet" (remember those little soaps at Gramma's house? Yeah, like that!) until violet arrives with her typical sweet dryness, and tuberose adds just a dash of "naughty". For something so very complex and floral, Madame is clean and almost WHITE in the way she smells. I detect NONE of ylang's warmth or sultriness nor any muguet. Her soft sweet "voice" may be there adding to the floral harmony, but is buried under the other "singers", and this lady does SING!! After opening brightly and then being all frilly-dilly with the flowers, this settles to a lovely (predominately) vetiver soapiness, accented by cool woods and airy pungent oak moss. Ever so slightly sweet, in a very refined way, she becomes much more earthy; yet never gets her hands dirty. Madame Rochas is the quintessential "crisp and clean green floral" for the lady who wants to smell refined, but unpretentious, and rich without getting all heavy, oriental or carnal. She is sensual, alright...but then a true lady never kisses and tells!

Sillage: great
Longevity: very good
Overall: 3.75/5

This is one of those bottles you would see on a refined lady's dresser; one who was conscious of her appearance, but never vain. Here is the sweet, soft pure scent of a matriarch, or loving mother, of not just her own family; but any others who come into the house and need or deserve unconditional love. Madame is one of those "comfort" scents for me, despite its cool demeanor, it smells amazingly rich and classy.

NB: Yesterday (13 April, 2011) Madame Helene Rochas was laid to rest in Paris, France; where she lived and died. Her passing is mourned by perfume lovers around the world. This perfume is a fitting homage to her and how REAL perfume used to be made. You will be sorely missed, Madame!

*bows head respectfully*

TawnyMoon
TawnyMoon

Bought this in the mid eighties, liked it then but never seemed the same when it was relaunched. Tempted to try again after reading reviews here, on my wish list

jasmasid
jasmasid

I returned to this after a long break of 30 years -- and am discovering a fabulous scent all over again.
An update: It has traces of the scent as I remember it from years ago, but this, undoubtedly the new re-formulated version, smells of nothing in particular. Just a faint, pleasant, powdery sensation that dries down to nothing more than soap and water.
What HAVE they done to this one? I thought it was such a timeless classic. Why has it joined the new brigade of "amber-coloured" liquid amounting to nothing much?

takeasniff
takeasniff

This smells like dove deoderant. It is very feminine and pretty. It looks as though it would smell really old fashioned but I think it is really soapy and powdery without smelling stale or stuffy. Going by what Gucci released I think it was called Guilty, this could do a much better job. It actually lasts a long time but will not offend anyone. They may not want to buy it for themselves but they will not think it's bad. I think it is the young sister of Chanel No.5. This is what Chanel should have been for me. If you like those sort of perfumes give this a try I would be amazed if you don't like it.

Roma27
Roma27

Absolutely Beautiful & Elegant!!! This has become a new found favourite. I have the edt & yet the longevity is excellent. I really don't think you can go wrong with this in your wardrobe. It becomes extremely soft on my skin but I tend to not overdo the application as it can be pungent like that. I prefer to use it for evenings & as a autumn/winter frag. Again I can see myself loving this for a long time to come.

f2no1
f2no1

Very luxury and for 40+ [maybe]!
A famous brand for adults, not for teenagers! But I love it!

olga1780
olga1780

I know most of the reviews here are for vintages, but I had neither energy nor desire to chase it down on Ebay, so I went for the current formulation EDT.
And I like it very much! Very elegant and soft floral aldehyde, I can also detect a metallic note which I love in Trussardi. For EDT it has excellent projection and very decent longevity (about4-5 hours). Maybe I will purchase a previous formulation out of curiosity, but when I look at it as a separate standing individuality, I think it is a wonderful fragrance.

passionata20

I am soooo happy! While browsing on a local trading site in search for "Tocade" i have found this fragrance and thought i would buy it just to test it because i thought it was a mini. I got it for about 10 euros and when i got it i realized that what i´ve got is a pure parfum in vintage version!!! In a box which looks like a tapestry 7,5 or 10 ml full and well preserved (there is no indication of size on the bottle). I mean how lucky can one perfume obsessed person get when you get such a bargain for a vintage pure parfum?!
Since the whole Rochas range is not being sold in my country for years now (can you imagine that?!), neither have i seen Rochas in other scandinavian countries for ages now i can´t compare it with current formulation. I remember from the times when it still was available that indeed to my nose it smelled like an old lady perfume, but what did i know about perfumes back then....
I haven´t applied it yet, only sniffed out of the bottle and i already love it!!! It is one of the most refined classy scents i have ever smelled yet! A true lady-like fragrance and i don´t think you can be lady only if you´re over 40, you can be a lady at any age!
Imagine a queen and the rest of the crowd. The queen who is always well mannered and follows etiquette and the rest of the crowd who can act also nice and polite but still they are not queen, but quenn-wannabes. That´s how i imagine this fragrance. As a queen, not in a dressing way but in behaving way.
I will update my review when i will try it on my skin. I have ordered also now a vintage parfum de toilette version and can´t wait to test it.

Purplesun, try to find yourself the 1st realease of the SIXTIES. That version is called 'Parfum de Toilette'. I was soo shocked by it's beauty, that I managed to get myself 3 backups in the PdT version. And I love it soooo much, that it hurts to use it!!
I just cannot grasp how a perfume could have been made sooo geniusly. But then again, we are talking 'Guy Robert', so that explains a lot.

purplesun
purplesun

OMG, this one is HUGE. I just gave it my mom as a birthday present, and it really is incredible. They dont make such fragrances any more. It is a mystery to me how they haven't discontinued this, since (almost) all the best perfumes are out of production.

blueberry
blueberry

It won my heart immediately. Wow, why don't they produce new fragrances like that anymore?
I must admit it is very much in line with leather fragrances and on the verge of chypre category, with a little bit of resinous feel as well. This resinous ambience is what I am looking in perfumes and I am so glad to get it from Mme Rochas.
It is elegant, but not in an overbearing manner (like Diva sometimes, which I cannot wear without a super dressy outfit as otherwise there's a sense of incongruity). With Madame it's so much different-you can wear more casual clothes and still you will feel elegant and well-balanced, but moderation while applying this scent is still recommended.
Wearing this fragrance makes me feel so good, so feminine, but powerful at the same time.
Kudos!

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

I really wanted to love this as I'm a great fan of the house of Rochas. To me, this scent is elegant but aloof with no 'friendly' features, it's neither sexy, nor youthful, nor voluptuous in any sense. It smells very similar to Elnett hairspray and this is not a good thing. Harsh on the nose and the emotions, I won't be handing over any dosh for this one, I'm afraid...It's in the 'Grand Dame' pile along with 'Joy' for me.

tixa
tixa

That is the second of Rochas perfumes that I love and wear with pleasure.
I reed in some of the revues that the smell is too strong, but can't agree with that - for example Chanel's №5 smell is much more strong and I don't like it.

Bebe70
Bebe70

Not bad, but too strong for my nose.
I had it some years ago, but I didn't finish the bottle. Not even half of it.
I think that a perfume like that is for women over 50.
Very classy, nevertheless.

the churumbel
the churumbel

Este perfume es hermoso, aunque yo no lo recomendaria para jovencitas ya que hay que tener algunos años para portarlo como se merece.

Es tan clasico y elegante .

mediterranean
mediterranean

The pictures on this page describe this perfume very well: proper lady,classic,discret,elegant...
One of my Dad´s favourites,probably because my mother used it in her younger years.
Very good for receptions, morning weddings,lunch with old mates... For spring time.
One of my all time favourites.

guest_nossy
guest_nossy

Um surprised to see so much notes in this fume but for me it's smells simple. It's not annoying to my nose but very powdery while no one mention it??humm maybe um wrong but... i can say it's like a powder in a nice bottle. My mum used one local brand body powder named Hazeline, it smells exactly like this. A bit dissapointed to know that powder cost very cheap..=(

soniamcalear
soniamcalear

Thanks to Awesomeness I have a bottle of this! This is a nice woody sharp aldehyde floral as the classification implies. This is a nice subtle fragrance, it will not knock you off your seat after application-I like that type of perfume also-but this is soft and gentle to the nose. Love it! THANKS AGAIN SUSAN!

Harajuku Love
Harajuku Love

Pure femminine perfume! I love it!

Woodelf
Woodelf

Madame Rochas is one of those timeless scents that will outlive every fad fragrance. From beginning to end, Madame Rochas envelopes me in a soft woody, floral aldehydic cloud. Most noticeable to my nose is the amber and cedar, topped with orris root, lily of the valley, and jasmine. The top green notes, aldehydes and bergamot do not fade on my skin, giving the entire concoction a truly marvelous balance.

Madame Rochas is bright, clean and feminine and suitable for any age. It is like the most classic of French fragrances, but not old fashioned.

chyprecat
chyprecat

This quiet and anassuming perfume, is, I believe, a true classic.
It makes one think of Audrey Hepburn, of beautifully cut tweed coats and buttery soft leather gloves. It makes you envision a top down drive in the country with your hair restrained by a Hermes scarf, and harks back to the good old days when it was still ok and even elegant, to smoke a Sobrani cigarette, with a short, black enamel holder, of course!!!
It is deep and stylish and is sensuous in a restrained, unflappable way. It makes you despise tights and long for stockings, makes you wish for a time before mobile phones and the instant gratification of the useless and intrusive text message. It makes you want to sip a dry martini while sitting at an ocean side table, waiting for your medium rare steak, as over your glass you study the object of your passion. He scrutinises your unfathomable gaze, as the sun's last rays bid a fond farewell for another day,and you plan your strategy for the evening ahead.
One useful, tolerable nod to the here and now is the internet; check Madame R. on the perfume websites. Simply the best value of any perfume I have ever owned.

Yamba1
Yamba1

To me, there are two categories of perfumes. - Office perfume (safe, inoffensive, clean). Then... there's the rest. OH! These are the perfumes for me that are pure joy. These allow me to bath in their magnificence and enjoy every nuance as they unfold throughout the day.
Madam Rochas most definitely falls into this category. She is unbridled luxury and quiet sophistication. She is one class oufit and a must for every collector!

Today I received yet another large Parfum de Toilette vintage, it is pure gold for me.
What a luxury, what a class, such a refinement, pure perfection...
I am in love!!

sunshineandroses
sunshineandroses

I bought some of this once at an outlet store. It's one that's been around long enough to be a classic and it smelled elegant. I tried to wear it and it seemed like all these flowers were fighting to smell stronger than each other. I gave it away to charity where I'm sure someone will buy it at the Goodwill and be delighted with it. Too much for me though.

krishka
krishka

elegant, unintrusive, timeless, classic, long lasting and sooooooo french!
J'adore!

guest_tourmaline
guest_tourmaline

I have the vintage EDC (found it in an antique shop one day) and I fell completely in love. I recently aqcuired some vintage parfum as well. Madame Rochas is a very crisp, classic floral with a well integrated bergamot note and it dries dries down to lovely cedar-floral-oakmoss perfection. This perfume is like a cross between vintage Ma Griffe and vintage Caleche by Hermes: It has the warm, smooth, mossy, bergamot-tinged floral character of Ma Griffe paired with that almost sweet, crispness of Caleche. I actually prefer my vintage Eau de Cologne to my Madame Rochas parfum. The EDC is strong and bolstered throughout its duration with a hefty oakmoss warmth, whereas the parfum seems like it has less oakmoss and a lot more musk and the scent is more subtle...yet persistent. With that said, it is gorgeous in all formulations (I'm speaking vintage, I can't vouch for modern). An incredible and often overlooked perfume, it is in my top 5 scents of all time.

lyndsey12
lyndsey12

I bought this unsniffed.. again! based upon good reviews. However, I found it to strong for me and felt it was a bit harsh and dated smelling. This made a lovely present for my granny though!

delphine67
delphine67

My mom used it long time ago. I liked it. very sophisticated scent

guest_the churumbel
guest_the churumbel

Es precioso!
Por fin lo he conocido y estoy encantada con el Muy femenino y con gran clase.

WireBodyArt
WireBodyArt

Yes, it is unique, lovely & I also love it! Thought it has many of the same notes as Femme by Rochas, the creator managed to make them to smell totally & completely different! WOW to Rochas, the creators of these classics! Juli ;)

Halvah

I need to update my review, since I found out, that Madame Rochas is very different at the beginning and again different a few hours later. At the beginning it beautiful with those tones of aldeydes, right after it's too dry for me, and this stage lasts quite long, but after couple of hours it finally warms up a little bit and gets more comfortable, more like my second skin. Anyway it has a classic and elegant style, somebody wearing this can't be with cheap taste. I will try it again and again and I'm sure I will appreciate it's beauty even more.

Halvah

I love the smell of aldehyds, actually I love the first spray of aldehydic fragrances, the slightly metallic notes of them. This is the step I love in Madame Rochas the most, as well. Unfortunatelly - for me, of course - this step goes away very quickly and the fragrance turns into a classy, slightly sharp and green, powdery floral. It's dry and cozy without the slighliest sweetness or warmth - so that it claims for distance no intimacy. Absolutely elegant, it's longlasting, too. I like it and use it every now and then, but it's not totally my real scent.

milena

I have this perfume on again never never tire of it.So classy and elegant.Simply a masterpieace.It may be reformulated and I'm not that good in reviews but to me there is no other that is as appealing as this one.CLASS.

nyoka
nyoka

this is truly a masterpiece.it begins with a sweet lemony fragrance kissed lightly like a first sweetheart,with aldehydes.shortly,my favorite note jasmine comes forth with the unusual lily of the valley.orris root binds them together,a note u usually c in the drydown.finally at the end of the day,cedary musk begins to slip in enfolded by tonka beans,another of my favs.its not so expensive, but smells as if it were. last a long time,and smells very classy yet sexy at the same time.would b good in warm ,or, cold weather.a great buy.

geegee
geegee

Sophistication with graceful elegance, sums this perfume up.

milena

I am wearing madame rochas today and I can say how wonderful and luxurious this scent smells.Simply divine and elegant full of class.My no. one perfume and mind you i'm only wearing the edt I can only imagine how the edp smells.This is a very femenine fragrant soft and gentle floral with powdery dry down which I love about this aldehyde perfume.

I understand the movement toward simplicity, and I realize that some people are turned off by "old" perfumes, but I have to say that after trying a few contemporary fragrances, I find it extraordinarily nice to don something as wonderful, complex, and unique as MADAME ROCHAS. This is a perfume. This is a creation. This was the product not of painstaking marketing analysis but of the art of perfumery. MADAME ROCHAS participates directly in the Platonic Form of Perfume.

She opens as a slightly citrusy floral aldehyde and then moves through layer after layer of luxuriousness, finally ending in a powdery chypre drydown that lingers on and on with a substantial but not suffocating sillage. Every single stage in the development, even as the scent slowly fades away, hours after only light application, is stunningly beautiful.

Wearing MADAME ROCHAS is a lesson in what the fine art of perfume has been, and I do hope that it will not disappear, slain by the procrustean forces of capitalism that lead so many to focus entirely on package with scant attention to product.

While there are many who lament the crime of reformulation, I must say that the reformulations familiar to me (of which my bottle of MADAME ROCHAS is no doubt one), are still vastly superior to most of the first-run juices out there today. MADAME ROCHAS may not be a great office scent, but this is a great perfume.

7Hills
7Hills

I remember when this was re-introduced in 1989. I hope it hasnt changed. This was my mom's signature fragrance in the 60s. Even as a kid, I liked the strong sharp top note ( chypre) which ended up smelling light, but sophisticated. I plan to buy a bottle for sentimental reasons.

rithacha
rithacha

I was curious about Madame Rochas from the irresistible description of soft aldehydes and gentle florals, but this perfume dissolved into a powdery mess on my skin.

The opening was brilliant. I loved the aldehydes, green notes, and citruses combined in that precise proportion. Madame Rochas was a breath of fresh green air, reminiscent of spring. Rich, posh, and eternally lovely.

But then, oh dear, the heart. It's a neroli-orris-violet-iris concoction that combines the most powdery notes in the perfumery hall of fame in a most realistic interpretation of talc. It smells like a rich gloved lady accidently knocked over her knick-knacks in the cabinet, and a fine cloud of dust rises backlit by the morning sunshine. Beautiful, yes, but choking.

In the end, I much prefer the other "dinosaurs of the aldehydic family" ;)

Glorious, glorious, glorious.
So posh, i think of extremely rich ladies of leisure when i smell this.
It smells very expensive.
You need only one tiny little squirt and you will smell it all day long.
DIVINE!
I have just stocked up on 4 bottles of this because i think it's becoming scarce.

Malegria
Malegria

Very refined and polished aldehydic floral. If you have patience to wait, you will be rewarded - after the first aldehydic bomb drop comes a gentle scent of spring bulb flowers - daffodils and hyacinths. It is very easy and light compared to some other perfume dinosaurs of the aldehydic family. You will be pleasantly surprised.
It is NOT a sexy scent.A gentle profile, modest classic clothes. I know it was created for Monsier Rocha`s wife and Femme was created for her for their wedding, but I think the names are misplaced. Madame is actually a young unsofisticated girl, may be more serious then her girlfriends

Citronella
Citronella

This is the first perfume I remember from my childhood. It was quite new then and very popular. The mothers of my friends all seemed to wear it (don't think my own mother ever used a perfume).

Recently purchased a bottle, mainly for sentimental reasons. It smells almost exactly the way I remember it and has a very strong presence. The opening is really sharp, the middle notes delightful and the drydown seem much more intense that in most other EdTs. On me, Madame Rochas seems to last forever.

Find it a bit demanding and I'm not sure it's easy to wear, prefer Cabochard for work. But for a formal occasion, Madame Rochas is excellent, especially if you want a fragrance that many appeciate but quite few wear anymore.

allexa27
allexa27

well,it is not so `old-lady``perfume like some opther classics,but i was expecting something more complex.On me is a mono scent.I smell only roses.It smells like an rose oil with a hint of violet.It is nice...

amelie

Elegant Madame Rochas, one of the best of floral-aldehyde, I agree that it is refined. Aldehydes are fantastically integrated into top notes, not at all difficult for those around you, feminine and very pleasant. Surprisingly lasting on the skin as EdT, simple and yet so multifaceted. At moments it seems to be thin like l'eau, but surprised by its strength after an hour or two.

CaraMia
CaraMia

Madame Rochas is a refined aldehydic floral scent. Yes, the florals are elegant and yes the opening aldehydic pop is reminiscent of Chanel No.5, but Madame is a scent that can more easily socialize or go to the office without being a big sensuous distraction. When I looked though the notes here, I was startled to see tuberose, which is a note I would never dream of wearing to work as it tends to be attention getting and overtly female. Rochas blends it into the composition well enough that it is restrained and lacks its usually noisy nature in a fragrance.

The drydown is lovely and balanced, sandalwood is tamped down with cedar and the amber and musk are tempered by the presence ofthe brighter oakmoss and vetivert notes. If I had to choose one word to describe Madame it would indeed be "balanced" like one of those old fashioned scales. Here everthing is even, the aldehydes and the citrus, the light flowers and the heavy ones, the sensual and the brighter basenotes. The scale never tips which is quite an achievement, when you think on it! I need to wear this more often.

milena

very very classy, elegant and sophisticated.Soft, romantic and feminine.Number one on my list, a favourite. LOVE IT.

I will start off by saying that I'm 18 years old, and I love this scent. Madame Rochas is sophisticated, sensual, sexy and alluring. I was actually rather surprised that this had aldehydic notes, because to my nose I got a lot of spiciness and flowers.

The scent is warm and distinctive. It exudes elegance and control. When settled on the skin the scent becomes powdery, but not sharp or soapy. The scent maintains its spiciness from beginning to end.

I love that Madame Rochas manages to match the class and distinction of a Chanel fragrance, but still remains affordable.

While wearing this scent, I can guarantee that people will observe you for having impeccable taste. This scent defines you as a woman. Madame Rochas is a classic scent from the mid 1900's that every woman should have added to her collection.

Halvah

Yes, it's a light chypre, maybe easy to wear, but still interesting in the 21th centura. First it seems to be a bit old-fashioned, but the dry-down is an amazing, descreet, comforting powdery-feminine scent. It's perfect for everyday wear, also for young women.

Scent lover
Scent lover

I found it as an elegant and easy to wear a chypre perfume. If to compare for instant with Paloma Picasso, this one is a baby chypre :) It has a classical chypre accords but it is light in notes and easy to wear when Paloma Picasso is a strong, powerful, intense with dark greenish and brownish notes. When Madam Rochas notes settles to the base notes you can gently feel the perfume on the skin. I think if someone wants to have a light chypre perfume, should give it a try. To my opinion, this is the easiest chypre that I smelled.

newgabe
newgabe

Somewhat like Cabochard (Parfum Gres) but not as interesting or long lasting.

winx61
winx61

Molto femminile, da vera madame... adatto a chi ama profumi d'altri tempi come me.

Madame Rochas by Rochas 3.83 out of 5 based on 524 ratings and 112 user reviews

Madame Rochas Perfume by Rochas - 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray
Rochas Madame Rochas Edt Spray 100ml 3.3oz
Rochas Madame Rochas Edt Spray 100ml 3.3oz
Parfum 1.7oz
Madame Rochas Perfume by Rochas, 1.7 oz Parfum De Toilette Spray Tester for Women
Parfum 1.7oz
Madame Rochas Perfume by Rochas - 1.7 oz Parfum De Toilette Spray Tester
Madame Rochas Perfume by Rochas - 1.7 oz Parfum De Toilette Spray Tester
Madame Rochas Intense Perfume by Rochas, 2.5 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Tester for Women
Madame Rochas Intense Perfume by Rochas - 2.5 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Tester
Madame Rochas Intense Perfume by Rochas - 2.5 oz Eau De Toilette Spray Tester

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Rochas Madame Rochas fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Rochas Madame Rochas, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Madame Rochas by Rochas. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Madame Rochas by Rochas represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.