Designers » R S » Oriental « Groups

dislike

I have it: 184 I had it: 118 I want it: 174 My signature: 11

Mystere Rochas for women Videos
Mystere Rochas for women Pictures Mystere Rochas for women Pictures

Mystere by Rochas is a Oriental fragrance for women. Mystere was launched in 1978. The nose behind this fragrance is Nicolas Mamounas. Top notes are coriander, galbanum and hiacynth; middle notes are rosemary, carnation, tuberose, violet, orris root, jasmine, ylang-ylang, lily-of-the-valley and narcissus; base notes are styrax, cypress, patchouli, musk, civet, oakmoss and cedar.

Coriander Galbanum Hiacynth

Rosemary Carnation Tuberose Violet Orris Root Jasmine Ylang-Ylang Lily-of-the-Valley Narcissus

Styrax Cypress Patchouli Musk Civet Oakmoss Cedar

Magie Noire
Balmain de Balmain

Mystere Fragrance Reviews

Yohji
Yohji

Frankly speaking, about such perfumes as Mystere, J'ai Ose, Expression, Magie Noire we should write from all capitals.

Poignant intriguing Mystere, piguant in softly bitter galbanum, velvety moss and dipped in resinous cypress, it is Medieval Paris– musky, erotic, silent, dangerous, controversial. It has lots of brains and lots of undertones – coriandre, civet, carnation.
In our times I imagine Mystere on women who like to wear hats with black veils on formal occasions.
I wear it in micro doses as it makes the whole world spinning around, the power of Mystere is truly magical, - I am not myself wearing it, but when I need to act – to be an actress – perfect choice.

Asaskian
Asaskian

If you can find a well preserved vintage, please try it.
The scent belonged to someone in my life who is no more, who taught me what love is... not that first brush of giddy, overwhelming youthful love... rather how patience, kindness, genuine regard and integrity translate into love, the kind that never goes away.
It is your sanctuary.

Perfume is an oriental chypre and lasts a long time.
In final resolution, the smell is so beautiful, that the emotion created can't be described in words; it needs to be felt.
Considering the amount of notes, only a perfumer can walk one through the multiple stages... one did a long time ago, but all I recall of that conversation is not the description of accords but my beloved's presence.
Time makes memory fade, but one sniff and plethora of emotions is mind boggling.
By the way, equally good on both men and women.

stacia79

Men followed me around like lovesick little puppies when I wore this. Civet, oakmoss, fresh carnations and hyacinth, biblical resins. Green, metallic, but also soft... words can not accurately describe this. That's why it is called Mystere! It's quite the magic potion. And it's been discontinued because life can be so unfair. Eventually I'm going to have to spend my hard earned dollars on a decant. That's all there is to it. I give up. Take my money. You win, vintage Rochas. You win.

Rerik
Rerik

This one smells like expensive soap. The Eau de Parfum Intense version is like today parfum extrait, very high concentrated. But today the gender have changed. Similar notes can be found in Prada Infusion D`Homme.
Mystere de Rochas is still a very popular perfume.
Deservedly.

susiebashse.
susiebashse.

Oh happy day....my eBay purchase arrived. A half bottle of eau de parfum, but not the classic bottle I knew 25 years ago.a round Byzance shape rather than the clean simplicity of the bottle reflected on this site. Initially I thought ...this is all wrong, this is not how I remember her. Granted I was 25 then rather than 50 and I wore this amazing fragrance as I played out a bohemian adventure with a Paris love affair..( Hahaha, if he could see me now...3 stone heavier, tights not stockings, no interest in imported whisky and a life of work family and gardening) BUT... After half an hour, the cheap odd odour subsided to be replaced by that wonderful, warm, elusive scent...close to the skin inviting a explorative mouth and the removal of shoulder straps. Well that won't happen but I don't care, I am loving the sensual pleasures of this unique scent, grounding me in reminiscence from the comfort of my happy now. If you can get your hands on this lovely and sadly lost gem, go for it.

stacia79

Such a lovely vintage sample of Mystere de Rochas I had! What a day it was! The phone company technician who came to my house, the men at work, clerks at the stores....they were super attentive. I felt so beautiful in this oakmoss/civet/carnation combo.

Later in the evening I had drinks with a friend and Mystere continued to linger on the back of my neck and cleavage. We talked for a long time in his car when he dropped me off and he told me the next day that when he went out to his car again, it still smelled a bit like me and he loved it.

Maybe one day I will spend real money on a nice decant of this.

aelariel
aelariel

Ah, Mystere! Men fell in love with me when I wore this....
Now gone the way of all beautiful perfumes with ingredients which are now probably banned and so cannot ever be recreated.
RIP Mystere. I did love you.

stormyla
stormyla

This is one of the most beautiful fragrances I've ever experienced. It has all of the mystery, depth and sultry overtones of vintage Magie Noire without the dark heavy aspects of that heady brew.

Mystere is woody,spicy and musky with beautifully soft florals. It is the most interesting animalic chypre which invites hours of arm sniffing. This is a very warm, cedar laden mossy fragrance that beguiles and enchants.

My bottle is vintage EDP and disappearing way too quickly. The longevity of this beauty is more than 12 hours and the sillage is moderately heavy.

There are vintage bottles of this fragrance for sale on Ebay, but they are few and command high prices. Oh,what I wouldn't give for a bottle of the vintage parfum!!

steffinic
steffinic

Absolutely love this fragrance. Cannot understand why it has been discontinued.

isdemary91
isdemary91

Esta fragancia es exquisita, elegante, afortunadamente compré 5 frascos, la uso poco porque sé que esta descontinuada. Definitivamente de lo mejor de Rochas. Pronto pondré en subasta 3 frascos.

9-na
9-na

Vintage. Fresh (the dewy kind of freshness), spicy, and full of wonderful, fresh flowers. And I also feel something... very carnal and warm in it. I like this scent a lot.

antqueen
antqueen

Just seen a bottle of this for sale in my local charity shop (in UK). Don't know what year this particular bottle is from, but it looks like the bottle in the Fragratica picture at the top of this page. I thought they were charging quite a bit for it, seeing as it's a charity shop, but the bottle was completely full and came with the box.

SheilaPerrone
SheilaPerrone

I used to buy the REAL Mystere De Rochas in Europe and in Trump Plaza in New York until It was discontinued. I then bought 2 bottles at Fragrance X on line. They sent me rubbish, I wouldn't even use it as a bathroom spray. I was completely ripped off. I also miss this fragrance terribly. It was my one and only. Does anyone know where I can buy the genuine bottle? I don't mind spending money on the real deal. I will also contact P&G but it won't do any good. Sheila

Galya

My father in low has this perfume thinking that it's masculine perfume :) .I have tried only once this perfume on me and I felt all way some awful note of goat cheese cos of animal note may be.

thenightflyer
thenightflyer

I have a thing for witchy-woo type 'brews'I would very much love to smell this! I'm willing to pay for a decant if there's any UK members(sorry new postal restrictions)??

ranchorita
ranchorita

Visiting friends in Europe, every so often I'd catch a perfumey whiff of something elusive and enchanting in a crowd of people with no possibility of finding out who was wearing what. Back in Texas, I trawled fragrance counters at the more posh department stores looking for a perfume that had the element I'd found so charming overseas. This came closest and I purchased it. Loved it.

Dove01
Dove01

I'm almost tempted to say 'they don't make them like this any more.' My mother wore this and we bought it for her every xmas and birthday for years. With the result I have bottles and bottles of it - including a pure Parfum unopened. I love it. It's heady, warm, spicy, woody and distinctive. I love the way it enters the room before I do! It commands a presence, but not in a Poison way. it's much more mysterious. I will always love this perfume as it reminds me of my mother. It is just as she was - beautiful, smart, elegant, sexy and utterly charming, Men loved her, women respected her. There were aspects of my mother that I never knew - and this fragrance is just like that. A true classic

Matusha
Matusha

and the came Mystere...One of the greatest moment of my little perfume world. It helped to define my character. If you have ever encountered it, then you know what I am talking about-dark smouldering sexiness that is somewhat like a spring thunderstorm. You need to avoid the lightning strikes and better hope a tornado doesnt develop!

That was the turbulent power of Mystere in my life. This and Magie Noire were the most important parts of my youth. Love, life and separation all were such a mystery. Mystere helped clear these trivial things up. WHY is this no longer on the market? It should be required wearing for all women exploring life.

sZIG
sZIG

This is my mums signature fragrance and in my opinion it suits someone middle aged or older as it seems to be quite a vintage scent. It is a very warm and heavy, best for a night out!
I think overall it is a very special scent, it is quite unique and doesnt smell like other generic chanel-smelling perfumes!

akats
akats

It is gorgeous and distinctive but not for every woman. It needs nerve and confidence and the right moment to wear it. For example this perfume is not for romantic or seductive nights. The smell is bitter sour and as someone mentioned, is like an old cognac. Very true! It reminded me of an expensive old cognac at once. Although I like it I find its masculine character similar to Balmain de Balmain (this is also mentioned by a member and I agree for the second time). Cedar woody notes and coriander with hyacinth maybe? is what I smell mostly rather than moss, civet and carnation with jasmine. It is an untamed wild beauty though, worth having it to your collection if you like woody spiced chypres.

Migalex
Migalex

This is one of the nicest scents I ever smelled and it is really unique - I cannot think of any other scent, even natural, which reminds me of it. What I smell most is the oakmoss, hyacinth and civet, but in a quite elaborate state. I can relate it a little bit to Paloma Picaso, probably the scent I feel closest to this one, but they are not really alike, and with Diva, but less. I can also see some similarities with Cabaret, but even less, very faint, more to do with the scent texture. This is really really special. The only thing to me is that sillage was not great. It is a pity to have been discontinued a longtinme ago.

Blu Garcon
Blu Garcon

Mystere de Rochas reminds me of a Slutty Little Wood Nymph; strategically swathed in sheer golden lace, barely leaving anything to the imagination, with translucent vermillion wings; dusted in a diamond luster and of course with flaming red, curly tresses.

She flutters through a heavily wooded and mossy Sylvanian land; like something out of a fairy tale, she rides, and glides atop it's lush canopies, perfuming the air with her "Mysterious" scent. She's worked up quite a musky perspiration under those wings and elsewhere and it drops from points on her small, delicate frame onto leaves, branches, the mossy undergrowth below and animals; as thick as drops of parfum extrait.

She goes zipping past beehives, confusing it's drones, making their queen work overtime in egg production, whilst also tinging the honey with a heavy resinous nectar. She flutters past nesting birds and mesmerizing them as well; causing one groom bird to do his court dance only to find that he's fluffing up pollen from neighboring jasmine vines, that swirl like eddy's in the air. She dances over a river while bears ensnare the most unlucky fish in their hungry mouths, and stirring a musky territorial ruckus amoungst them too.

Upon the edge of night, she softly and stealthily glides through a nearby village, where simple folks began to illuminate the interior of their homes with pure animal fat candles. Chimney's huff and puff spicy meals with bitter herbs into the night air, mingling with her essence, that is able to penetrate walls and subdue the competitive bouquet of rosemary bushes, narcissi, carnations and hyacinths, which line their cobble walk ways and stoops. Her ripe pungence bewitches both men and women; eliciting carnal desires within the village elders, and confusion withing it's budding adolescent youths, who too are on the verge of discovering their own sexual awareness.

Mystere de Rochas is all this and much more...too bad one has to pay an arm and leg on ebay, just to dress that arm and leg in it's perfect vintage elixir. This review is for the Vintage EDP.

paleface
paleface

This review is of vintage Mystere.

Mystere's first notes are fresh: I smell galbanum and hyacinth. At the back of my tester bottle reads - among other top notes - cascarilla, which is the plant that gives the bitter flavour to Campari. Well, I don't recognize that very note, but it is interesting to know (not listed above).

Then the perfume softens, but this second phase lasts on my skin only half an hour or so. It is not very flowery in a traditional way, more on a green and dry side.

And then the beautiful, deliciously rich and soft musky base, with just a perfect amount of civet and other elements, is slowly exposed. Little bit of sweetness rounds everything.

This is a seductive, warm and inviting entirety. Also cosy, somehow. Perhaps for the sake of civet Mystere seems to me very "natural" smelling - like the skin but much better, if it makes any sense. Earthy and animalic in a wonderful way. It is a mere pleasure to inhale this deep blend!

drummagick
drummagick

I received a mini of Mystere parfum today. I believe this is an older version, the bottle says Mystere de Rochas rather than just Mystere.

What a civet bomb! I could smell nothing but civet for the first hour or more, then started to catch glimpses of the woods and some floral. I couldn't pick out the individual floral notes until a few hours after applying. I had a small sample of 'vintage' from one of the decant places a few weeks ago, and the juice from this mini is much stronger than that sample was.

I will have to spend some time getting to know this one. I was hoping for a more woodsy smelling perfume, this one is all about the civet. It's quite obviously from the same era as Magie Noire, Opium, etc. :)

eta 12/13/12 I've come back to Mystere and I'm getting almost a completely different perfume on my skin than I did when I first got the bottle earlier this year. A strong hit of civet early that very quickly faded and turned into into a gorgeous woody scent with just a hint of green and spring flowers. I've been wondering what to wear to the company Christmas party in two days that will be completely different form what anyone else is wearing. This may be it.

lenita77
lenita77

I love this one! Warm, woodsy and sensual. My first grown up perfume. I love the old classic ones, like Shalimar, Vol de nuit from Guerlain and YSl´s Opium. Mystere is a great companion in my perfume "wardrobe"

Pampurred
Pampurred

Sad day for me when I could no longer find this scent. Woody fairy scent totally me in a way that no other perfume has ever been. Le sigh.

incensi
incensi

Death by oakmoss, women were tangled in deep forest while nymphets were sirening.A real standout of all Rochas.

Nanogirl
Nanogirl

P&G was both evil and stupid to buy the Rochas line and then abandon this classic scent, Mystere, with all its power and animalism, that long-enduring musk. P&G was supposedly known for its marketing acumen--they sure dropped the ball on this one. Case in point, all the previous buyers who have scavenged the internet looking for more. It was the scent everyone knew you for.

melinamelp
melinamelp

indeed mysterious, very elegant, can't be described easily. it is "ahhh...." perfume. My mom holds a tiny bottle of it for 30 years, and it still smells "ahh"
it's recent edition smelled a bit different..

momoffive
momoffive

Mystere was discontinued a few years ago. Perhaps the last few reviewers bought old perfume from these websites which would never reveal THAT THEY ARE SELLING OLD PRODUCT! Shame on them!! Perfume changes and can become rancid over time. I first found Mystere de Rochas while working at my first job in NYC. I was sprayed by a woman in Bloomingdales and fell in love with the fragrance. Rochas was bought by Proctor and Gamble so you can e mail them, as I have and ask them to bring it back!!!

VKW

I have just received my order of Mystere (post takes a long time to reach me) and need to confirm Moyra's comments. This is not even a reformulation of the original; it's a nasty, cheap, cynical attempt to deprive people of their money - and in my case, fond memories of the real Mystere. I am so sad and annoyed that I didn't curb my impulsive nature, too. I bought quite a few bottles in the hope I could see out my days on Earth swathed in Mystere, but I wouldn't use this trash for anything. It's tinny, weak, chemically, sour....

Perhaps now is a good time to explain just how important the real Mystere is for me. It is THE perfume that got me into perfume. My mother wore it; she died when I was a kid, and I never knew its name until I smelled it years later on a customer. She took one look at me and said, "You look like you've seen a ghost." Essentially, I had smelled a ghost.

What I now have smells like an insult.

Moyra
Moyra

I wore Mystere way back when, and I remember it was very intense and unusual, so when VKW pointed out its availability on a certain etailer site, I ran to purchase one.
I wish I could restrain my impulsive nature sometimes, because the "new" Mystere is not a perfume, its a crime - not even a real, bloody, nasty, evil crime, but an insignificant and stupid crime, like jaywalking or urinating in public.
The "new" Mystere comes in a vile little round bottle with a pathetically flimsy plastic top. The bottle itself looks like someone stuck transparent red contact paper on it.
The Mystere juice is something else - it dispenses only the vaguest trace of something sort of perfumish which then proceeds to vanish without a trace in half an hour.
The greatest crime of all, truly blood curdling to this perfume lover, is what some eejut over at Rochas did by reformulating the intense, gorgeous, sexy Mystere into the insipid doodoo that is the "new" Mystere.
My advice: avoid at all costs, there's better bathroom sprays.

VKW

Mystere lovers....it is currently available in 0.88 oz Eau De Parfum Spray at a certain site that starts with "F" and ends in "X" - not sure what the rules are here about advertising, but I am sure the administrators will unerstand on this one!!! (Oh, just read the bit - no, I am not a shareholder in that company...)

dglamuzina
dglamuzina

Try fragrancenet.com. That's where I bought mine. They ship everywhere. Good Luck! This is a mature scent, and I'm not talking about a 50 year old woman, but even on a young professional woman its enticing and alluring.

swanlips
swanlips

Love this have tried to find a replacement but with no luck refuse to pay the absurd prices on internet auction sites.

queenkey
queenkey

I bought this fragrance when it first came out. What drew me to it was its animalic intensity. It was so potent and musky back then. Used every drop. Got the reformulated version not long ago, not the same. With so many restrictions on ingredients many fragrances have gone to the slaughterhouse of fame. I hate that.

passionata20
passionata20

I have tried it and to me it smells very much like a man´s cologne. That´s what a lot of reviewers say also. I really like the top notes and the beginning of middle notes but i do not like a drydown. To me it smells like a bonfire with a rubber tyre thrown into it. A bit distracting. Usually i like woody/pine notes but this time it is something that still bothers me. Maybe it´s not the rigt weather? I think i might give it a chance later when fall comes, cause to me this is a warm early autumn fragrance. Until then i do not like it.

You are right Sarah Bas! It has real similarities with:

- Aliage
- Private Collection
- Jean Louis Scherrer original

And the explianing factor is the 'stinky' pine!!!

Just joking...:-)
I love pine!

tixa
tixa

I simply adore that perfume. Is very feminine and delicate.

dragonesque
dragonesque

I own a vintage bottle from the 1980s, and this is a real treasure. Rich, opulent, old – like old cognac, or rather century old honey infused with 200 herbs. It speaks of time and tradition. It’s a pity this gem has been discontinued. But, on the other hand, who knows what IFRA would have made of it with its restrictions. Anyway, I am happy that I’ve had a chance to get to know this milestone of perfume history (to me this is one indeed).

petejanett
petejanett

mystere is/was feminine yet masculine i loved it, there were times when it was rather loud, mystere turned on me too after 3 or 4 hours, so what i do when cologne changes on me is not put it on any part of my skin, i use a Q-tip, to dab a little on the buttons of my clothing in various areas- i would like to be fair and add that i am a smoker and heavy coffee drinker- believe my chemistry may have had a clash -

katyas
katyas

I purchased a pure perfume bottle of this, untested, from eBay and am happy I did - it's really lovely (and my husband likes it, too - always a plus!) - spicy, flowery and woody all bound up together. The perfume obviously lasts nicely - I definitely want to try to get my hands on some more before it gets too hard to find. Why all the best stuff ends up discontinued before I discover it I just don't know ... *sigh* :-)

guest_guest 1967
guest_guest 1967

mystere de rochas ist das parfum meiner ehemaligen lehrerin, ich verbinde sehr viele erinnerungen mit diesem parfum. leider gibt es den duft zur zeit nicht auf dem deutschen markt.
ich habe ihn zum ersten mal 1981 gerochen und ich war damals wie heute begeistert, einer der schönsten französchen düfte die es gibt.

winx61

si direi che è fantastico, si trova anche su ebay a prezzi abbordabili. Io ho quello con la scatola rossa. Bellissimi ricordi!!!

Galya

e' bello ,fantstico direi.molto legno e muschio.ho il vintage.

guest_Zelir
guest_Zelir

Eu tenho em particular,o Mystere como terapia,meu medicamento precioso.Infelizmente saiu de linha.
Substituam-no por favor!

mystere de rochas

I wonder if we be effective if we petitioned Rochas for the return of Mystere...Has the company seen the EBAY prices and the demand...Do they like profit...

mystere de rochas

I've been distraught over Mystere and have found a close third to replace it....Aramis 900...Give it a try...

winx61

Mystere and Femme Rochas are my favorites since the seventies.
Now Myster is discontinued and Femme is disappeared from commercial perfumery... but still on ebay.
I am very angry at the same time I can afford both ...
not divide these scents even with my best friend

mocha43
mocha43

Wonderfully rich and complex. I am very happy that I was able to purchase a bottle of this. I love the notes of cedar and oakmoss and rosemary and jasmine. Now I know what the excitement is about.

VKW, you are soooo right! Rochas is out of their mind not to carry this one anymore! It is like Guerlain saying, let's stop with Shalimar!!
????!!!!

VKW

Hands down, the best perfume ever in my estimation. There are other beautiful perfumes, of course, but so few come close to Mystere's perfect balance of warmth and reserve, elegance and approachability. Why it hasn't taken a rightful place amongst other greats bewilders me. What's not to love about it? It is sophisticated but not haughty, beautifully feminine and not at all girly. Bring it back!

guest_guido
guest_guido

mystere ist ein verkannter klassiker leider in deutschland nicht mehr erhältlich. ein toller duft, ich verbinde mit diesem duft viele erinnerungen an die achtziger jahre und an meine damalige lehrerin die diesen duft immer trug, wunderbar samt und seidig geheimnisvoll.

ctansimore
ctansimore

One of the most fantastic scents ever created. Virtually impossible to find. I mourne it's absence...

viewdemonde
viewdemonde

Mystere is a true original. Can never find it. Used to love to wear it to the theatre. A great theatre/opera perfume. Literally, mysterious!

weegee
weegee

If you love Mystere, still mourn its discontinuation AND you're on a budget, you must know that BalMan by Balmain has a drydown very, very, VERY reminiscent of Mystere.

I wore BalMan yesterday and on my pillow last night and this morning woke up smiling in the marvelous sillage and wondered (only half awake, mind you) "did I dab on Mystere before going to sleep?". I have so very little of an EDP mini that I seldom do more than sniff it -- which I just had to do this morning. Voila! Amazing!

Perhaps I shouldn't be telling this secret I have only just discovered, at least until I've purchased several more bottles of BalMan for myself while it's still incredibly inexpensive online... but I won't be greedy. Anyone who loves Mystere is more than OK in my estimation, so treat yourself and try BalMan!!!!

beatriz
beatriz

You feel you are in the wind.. in the woods.. you are yourself in the midle of a special world.. gives the mystery.. deep.. is really nice and woody..

belle de sud
belle de sud

Mystere is just as its name: Mysterious, haunting, an element of the unknown woman.
A staple for me, always seductive and great sillage.

Mystere by Rochas 4.21 out of 5 based on 240 ratings and 58 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Rochas Mystere fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Rochas Mystere, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Mystere by Rochas. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Mystere by Rochas represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.