Designers » R S » Citrus Aromatic « Groups

Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille Roger & Gallet for women and men

Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille Roger & Gallet for women and men
dislike

Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille Roger & Gallet for women and men Pictures Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille Roger & Gallet for women and men Pictures Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille Roger & Gallet for women and men Pictures

Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille by Roger & Gallet is a Citrus Aromatic fragrance for women and men. Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille was launched in 1806. Top notes are bergamot, amalfi lemon, orange and mandarin orange; middle notes are petitgrain, carnation, neroli, rosemary and rose; base notes are clove, myrtle, cedar, sandalwood, musk, white amber and vetiver.

Bergamot Amalfi Lemon Orange Mandarin Orange

Petitgrain Carnation Neroli Rosemary Rose

Clove Myrtle Cedar Sandalwood Musk White Amber Vetiver

4711 Original Eau de Cologne
Zeste de Vigne

Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille Fragrance Reviews

Sandra221
Sandra221

Great in hot weather, a very citrussy and light fragrance that is not long lasting but is a great regular and refreshing spritz. You can smell the history of eau de cologne in its composition, somewhat old fashioned but fascinating. I don't regret buying it, but can't imagine it on a man.

Redbeard
Redbeard

An eau de cologne that tends toward the "savory" or salty end of the spectrum. Initially it's a lot like 4711 but then the floral components go into hiding pretty quickly, leaving a relatively leafy citrus. The lime that survives this transition stays fairly close to the scent of the peel, without much of the candy-like or herbal tinges that other lime scents can have. Finally as the lime begins to fade, the florals return, again like 4711 but accompanied with a slight dusty herbal component like Wellington or Blenheim Bouquet. JMF, however, does this herbal note right, and it comes out less stale and "kitcheny" than those two. Finally, we're left with that light, dry wood aura that always reminds me of straw, hay or bamboo, as seen in the bases of the newest versions of Guerlain Vetiver and Eau Sauvage. The only drawback here is that the Perfumed Court refers to the sample I bought as the vintage formula, so even though it's pretty cheap, I hesitate to actually buy a bottle online (only large sizes available!) and then not quite get what I bargained for.

kigyo
kigyo

To me it smells exactly like sides to a Mexican dish. I smell beans, sourcream, lettuce, cilantro, and lots of lime. On me it lasts less than a half an hour. It was a blind buy, will become a nice toilette air freshener. Not very good.

cytherian
cytherian

@ karlovonamesti -- I agree with you, that this is a well crafted cologne with an older, higher-fidelity rendering of 4711. To me, this has a slightly richer lemony fragrance than 4711, but alas... it is more like an aftershave than an EdC as it does not last long (like 4711). I use 4711 as an aftershave and then layer another fragrance over it after the dry down. Extra Veille would serve the same purpose, but at a higher price. Given that... I'll stick with 4711. 8.5/10 for fragrance, 6.0/10 for value.

Jean Marie Farina Extra Vielle is not a fragrance you hear of very often. I was first alerted to this fragrance whilst browsing Ebay. It caught my attention the minute I saw how many bidders were eager to win a bottle of Jean Marie Farina Extra Vielle and its matching lotion. It made me think, what is it that is so great about Jean Marie Farina Extra Vielle? Of course my curiosity soon led me to the Roger & Gallet counter at my local department store.

Since testing Jean Marie Farina Extra Vielle on my skin, I can fully understand its popularity. It's Summer in Australia at present, and even though the weather hasn't reached a record high, many of us are bracing ourselves for the onslaught of dry, unbearable heat. Jean Marie Farina Extra Vielle is a crisp and invigorating citrus scent, absolutely perfect for an intense Summer.

This fragrance is quite natural in a sense, very much like the scent of citrus peel. Its simplicity is what makes it all the more endearing. Jean Marie Farina Extra Vielle is thankfully not synthetic nor overtly sweet. I consider it a classic, citrus cologne type scent, one that wears beautifully on both sexes.

The matching soap coffret had a more intense citrus scent, a scent I was not particularly fond of. I would much rather wear Jean Marie Farina Extra Vielle on its own, and forgo the layering options.

Unfortunately Jean Marie Farina Extra Vielle is not the best in regards to longevity. Three hours after my first application and I could barely smell a thing. This is unfortunately common for an eau de cologne. Nice scent, just wish it would last longer.

Brain-in-a-vat
Brain-in-a-vat

I've yet only used the soap of this precise fragrance which I always buy when I've got a bit of cash and want to feel like a billionaire first thing when I get up and shower (it's not cheap at around 5€ a bar and lasting 5 days at most). Zingy aroma and slightly mysterious combination of notes, too. Very masculine and the soap does not smell "soapy". Hmmm,...I just talked myself into ordering the fragrance! 10/10.

onaluna
onaluna

Did they reformulate this? A decade ago, this was a great blend of bergamot, orange blossom, and woods, with a touch of spice. It was fresh and never overpowering. Now it's muddled and foul.

Siete Cueros
Siete Cueros

A well balanced cologne, not "mentholly" like 4711, not as sweet as Guerlain Imperiale, reminds me of Grey Flannel. It's what a man should smell like whether casual or business - it leaves the man spelling clean and pleasant unlike others that say, "I have after shave on!".
I've worn it for 42 years. My mother gave me a bottle when I went to boarding school. Like it so much I buy it in the Liter bottles. Please don't tamper with it.

mukulnagori87
mukulnagori87

Very Very well done cologna. Claimed to be Napolean's signature cologne. Very underrated. Fresh and masculine. the only problem is longetivity. does anyone know similar? please tell me. Higly recommended .Smells Sophistication.

judyk
judyk

I wanted to sample the original Farina cologne and discovered in the process that there are two distinct varieties out there.

I've just side-by-side tested Roger & Gallet's "Extra Vieille" and the 1709 Original by Farina, Köln (Farina1709.com) - and they are very different.

Simply put, R+G is 4711 with extra citrus and a pinch of Nag Champa (to my nose at least - could be the clove), whereas the Original (current formula) is much more floral and green. I've always liked 4711, so naturally I like R+G's take on the classic eau de cologne, but the Original is much more elegant and subtle.

Heliotrope
Heliotrope

Very green, dry, clean and aromatic, like the smell of sheets in a very old, very expensive hotel. The total absence of sweet notes make it perfect for hot weather and ensure that you'll never get sick of it. A good alternative to 4711, though more expensive.
Personally I prefer the Jean Marie Farina soap to the cologne - the soap adds a creaminess to the dry cologne smell which makes it perfect.

Jackfusion
Jackfusion

The name is a tribute to the creator of Cologne. This fragrance is for 1806 (hence the term extra vieille, something old), the Farina family pioneered the manufacture of perfumes and the term "colony" (refers to namesake German city where the perfumer was residing).

This is my first impression:
This is already beginning a strong mixing citrus (bergamot, lemon and orange) and sum it with flowers and leaves gifts fragrance that I recalled the light scent of saffron. Over a few minutes to soften citrus notes, but the smell reminds me of saffron q is still present in my nose. Not my style perfa.
Not bad, just not the kind of fragrance you would.

Arbre Amer
Arbre Amer

People! This is a cologne! It is not meant to stain you forever. Even so on my skin, which doesn't keep scents well, it lasts for more than 5 hours.
Of course sillage is minimal and thank god for that because this is horrid. Upon application I thought "hmmm, interesting" and then everything came crashing down! The symphony of notes played for about a minute and then it was like a slapstick comedy scene with an orchestra under a heavy shower of rotten vegetable from an angry mob. Most of them ran for cover while a brave few stayed on stage making a miserable attempt to keep the melody. A neurotic soprano is screaming (Angelica is her name and she is nowhere credited) while Cedar-X plays the xylophone hidden under the piano. Rose had to sleep with the producer to get on stage so she wont go but everyone can tell she is only fooling herself thinking anyone pays attention to her insignificant presence (50% silicon). Clove never showed up.
The whole riot that dropped the curtain on the little opera was instigated by none other but the Phantom (Dr.Synthius Musk) who hates historical dramas and sabotages classical colognes in lack of more creative pastimes.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Farina Extra Vieille reads as an older, higher-fidelity rendering of 4711's classic eau de cologne. This is an updated version of the original eau de cologne, which makes it interesting to wear. I'm a little conflicted, though. 4711 lasts much longer on my skin, but I do see the advantage to having Extra Vieille in my collection. Its notes of bergamot, lemon, petitgrain, neroli, rosemary, and sage (for shadow effect) are crystal-clear, impeccably separated, and incredibly satisfying to behold. The downside: it lasts about five minutes, and then is nothing more than a memory. Me? I'll spend half as much money for twice as much citrus/herbal goodness and just wear 4711.

derkargy
derkargy

I bought the body lotion and it's superb.I'm obsessed with this crispy,mediterranean smell.I'd like to buy the cologne someday.

Mr. Doody
Mr. Doody

been wearing this today. i'm a sucker for these clean, citrus-y scents, so i like this a lot. i have nothing but respect for a fragrance that has been around for > 200 years!

i know some will disagree, but i prefer 4711 over JMFEV. to my nose there's a midnote that's just a tad chemical-y. it's not horrible or anything - and it's just a midnote, but it's there for me.

IME, sillage is minimal and longevity is horrible - not unlike 4711. i'd say if i wanted to wear this all the time i'd need to reapply every 4 hours, if not 3.

VERY happy to own a bottle and will definitely revisit this classic from time to time!

vovvi
vovvi

Discovered when I stayed at the Sofitel in Chicago, where they supplied toiletries from this R&G line...I still have the wrapped soap from there, having since purchased the full-sized ones from Caswell-Massey. This is VERY appealing to both sexes -- Farina knew what he was doing when he created this intoxicating scent more than two centuries ago! Usually I find scents change dramatically -- and not for the better -- after I've worn them a few hours. Thankfully JMF only improves over time, and the subtlety of the alteration is very appreciated: you will leave the house smelling like a garden at its peak in Santa Maria Magiorre, then return in the evening with a cloud of the essence of closed blooms and earthy dusk lingering about you. Others' comments are true: it stands up to humid climates perfectly. I'd also add that it is ideal for those with oily skin. Enjoy!

andrevarx
andrevarx

The EDC is intense, citrus and I think the most classic there, at least I do not detect much the transition between stages, it is only since I have power until it fades, only stands a huge note of entry and base clove. The aroma is citrus entry with acid and rose, leave its base note is a clove thinner and softer.

Universal range of ages, preferably in hot weather, is a sorry little unisex scent is too acid to be a woman in my opinion, only cleaning projects, nothing more. Skin near term 5hrs.

VKW

On Christmas Eve in the Antipodes, where it's over 30 degrees and the humidity has been hovering between 80-95% for a few days, I'd just like to give a whoop and a holler for Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille....it's been a lifesaver. It's so nice to smell clean, sharp and fresh, even tho in reality, I'm wilting...

VKW

I've love this scent since I was a child. Like other writers here, this is one of my favourite scents for humid summer afternoons - it somehow "cuts" the density of the air. Having said that, my enjoyment was diminished one day when a co-worker described it as "the smell of an airplane toilet air freshener." Philistine.

Lady Love
Lady Love

Best Cologne ever!! So much better than 4711 !! This is, an obvious thing comming from the Farina family..

Firsth of all, I can feel the yummy citrus playing with my skin, which is a bit strong but pleasant, then the fragance will become more softer.. and finally about 1 hour later, you began to feel a soothing smell of herbs combined with the smooth citrus.. is fantastic.. I always thought colongnes only lasted about 20 min, but not this one..

It is slightly more expensive than 4711, but has much better fixation so Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille worth a try..

rodda31
rodda31

in the begnng its very strong......... but its getn betr n betr to the end.... ast long... good one and i simply love it.............

hathor
hathor

this is about the only thing that keeps me sane/alive/fresh-smelling when we're really having one of the sticky heatwaves you get here in holland. it's about the freshest, cleanest smell i know. for me it's a typical"eau de cologne" very similar to 4711 and boldoot which is a dutch version of the above. in very hot weather i can be a bit headachey and become irritated by even some of my favourite perfumes.this is a life saver!!

imgcas
imgcas

Very good fragance. It starts citrusy and green, but the citrus notes go fast. Then the perfume smells like the countryside, with all the aromatic herbs, plants and even hay.
It reminds me of Sisley's Eau de Campagne but quite lighter.
It has good lasting power to be an Eau de Cologne.

Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille by Roger & Gallet 3.97 out of 5 based on 146 ratings and 24 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Roger & Gallet Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Roger & Gallet Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille by Roger & Gallet. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Jean Marie Farina Extra Vieille by Roger & Gallet represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.