Designers » R S » Woody Aromatic « Groups

Fundamental Rubini for women and men

Fundamental Rubini for women and men
dislike

Fundamental Rubini for women and men Pictures Fundamental Rubini for women and men Pictures Fundamental Rubini for women and men Pictures Fundamental Rubini for women and men Pictures Fundamental Rubini for women and men Pictures

Fundamental by Rubini is a Woody Aromatic fragrance for women and men. This is a new fragrance. Fundamental was launched in 2015. Fundamental was created by Cristiano Canali and Ermano Picco. Top notes are calabrian bergamot, tangerine and flowers; middle notes are grapes, tuscan iris and beeswax; base notes are cedar, sandalwood, java vetiver oil and leather.

Calabrian bergamot Tangerine Flowers

Champagne Brut

Fundamental Fragrance Reviews

Fedora_Romazoff
Fedora_Romazoff

Iris and grapes? What the hell are going to smell together I said to myself when I heard about Rubini Fundamental. Having a soft spot for tuscan iris, I was completely charmed by the story behind the brand, Verona in the '30s, opera, colognes, makeup and lavishly elegant atmospheres so thankfully I happened to put my nose on this and... WOOW!!! I was completely mesmerized by this top quality juice and its completely unusual take of Woody-fruity iris. That's definitely a must try. Then I saw also Sarah Colton recommends it in her Bad Girls Perfumes book and definitely she's so right: this is a powerful weapon of seduction that already made its victims on my skin :)
Great longevity and sillage too

9.5/10

Stallone Italiano
Stallone Italiano

This perfume is a fundamental failure, yet another failure of typical Italian arrogance. Dislike!

b.gracious
b.gracious

Scent - bergamot, fresh flowers, grapes, tangerines & cedar wood.

Season/Time of Day - I can wear it in the warmer months, day or night.

Projection - I didn't get noticed, I didn't get a compliment.

Longevity - I get 12hrs consistently.

#24

A stunning fragrance:a bit of old-fashioned refinement while re-imagining a sort of ambery-fougére in an absolutely classy and "post-modernist" way (as the gorgeous packaging by Francesca Gotti suggests...) opens with crisp notes of lavender and fizzy juicy grapes, then shifts into a beautiful, comforting nuance of powdery iris and warm, polished woods with hints of beeswax. The drydown is creamy and cozy, with leather, sandalwood, labdanum and a tobacco finish.
A true modern classic every scent-lover should have.
A truly moving scent. well done, Rubini (Bravo Cristiano Canali!)

derad
derad

A new take on salty perfume, wrapped in sweet tones. It's complex and smells synthetic, yet pleasantly - unlike some sorts of craggy aldehydic perfumes. Becomes sweeter and drier with time. Thorough sillage.

NotesDeCoeur
NotesDeCoeur

Fundamental is one of the most original that I have been able to smell this year, I love the unique Beeswax and Grape association!

9/10 !

Colin Maillard

Fundamental by Italian newcomer Rubini is meant to act as a tribute to an early 1900s “Italian Belle Epoque” inspiration, more specifically of the North-East of Italy where Rubini’s heritage is grounded, but with a contemporary, almost hyper-modern feel – as you can imagine by looking at the (supercool, and quite clever) packaging designed by Francesca Gotti (nu_be). This “past into the future” thing may sound as a cliché, and it sure is quite often; but it isn’t here. First of all because there is no generic “old Italian heritage” inspiration, but a specific geographical reference (Verona – which means shortly: wines and cafès); then because the composition totally reflects it, finally getting rid of, again, “old Italian heritage” clichés in perfumes.

What you get at the first sniff is a surprisingly good and compelling grapes note that manages to smell fruity, bitter, fresh, kind of Mediterranean, really aromatic and slightly pungent, with a crisp wine vibe; while it isn’t overly and predictably “boozy”, it does provide instead a sort of domestic, almost “rural” but at the same time extremely sophisticated feel, also thanks to the silky and aromatic - and again, Mediterranean - note of sage that perfectly enhances the herbal fruitiness of grapes. Herbs and grapes in turn perfectly blend with a nostalgic kind of “eau de cologne” vibe (a thick, raw, almost “urinous” lavender note, woods, the bitter-astringent side of grapes) and a carnal powdery accord (iris) aimed at evoking the playful lasciviousness of brothels and dancing cafés (early 1900’s, again...). An overall smoky feel and a woody accord also comprising costus (rubbery feel) complete the blend – iris and costus will then remain quite bold on the drydown. I think I get something musky too but I am not sure if the note is there. The keys for me – meaning what I get more deeply and clearly - are however grapes, lavender, sage, iris, costus. Shortly, a kind of fresh-aromatic fruity-herbal scent with a bitter and almost animalic facet, some smokier and darker nuances, a sprinkle of powdery dust. And a ton of class. If notes don’t speak to you, here’s some images to think of; vineyards, wines, gentlemen, cafès (... and women).

Not over yet, though: while some notes do clearly smell “retrò”, meaning dusty and kind of “dirty”, taking you right next to a Dannunzian gentleman and his shady businesses (the dirtier side of lavender, the powdery notes), and while others smell clearly “Italian” (herbs, lavender, grapes), there is also a distinctive sort of breezy, almost metallic and kind of wet concrete-like vein (violet leaves, maybe? I think I get some really slight similarity to Narciso for Him, to this extent) that gives Fundamental a crisp texture and a sort of polished, futuristic look – a jump forward in time, the cryogenic mummy of a dandy. Modern class with a heritage feel. I am super picky with niche novelties, but this is really good; the materials smell great as far as I can tell, the concept works, the owner (Andrea) is humble and passionate. And the composition is clever and creative. One of the niche standouts of 2015 for me so far (lucky for Rubini, niche market is so depressing these days... “easy wins are easy”).

8-8,5/10

P.S.: thanks to the sociopath dumbasses which made my review disappear for the third time. Must be fulfilling to spend your days thumbing down stuff for the sake of it.

Korkos
Korkos

Based on the previous reviews here I was a bit skeptical but thankfully I was offered a sample of Fundamental with other stuff i purchased.
Folks, this stuff is damn gooood!!! Now I can understand why guys like Colognoisseur, Perfume Junkies, Octavian Coifan and Others give this scent such a praise. It is well deserved.
The smell is so sparkling as you spray it, with the almost euphorical tartness of bergamot and tangeringe. I was amazed also by the floral notes pairing top quality neroli and lavender which I both adore. It screams out pure class and elegance yet the fruity notes of White grape (and such a realistic one!) keep floating around giving it a playful mood. Woods in the base and iris butter make it so comfortable and longlasting I could get waffs of iris powder and honeyed sandalwood after 10 hours. This is definitely what's a monster longevity. Bravo Rubini!!! I immediately got my bottle of Fundamental and hope you will keep on making such beautiful creations!

body67
body67

I've had high hopes for this fragrance after reading the reviews, unfortunately it falls disappointingly short of my expectations.
The opening is nothing short of impressive and the concrete note (iris), is gorgeous. There's a lot going on at the beginning and I find it slightly crowded and confusing, like a big group of tourists on their first trip to London on the tube, trying hard to find their way around and navigate through the intricate maze of tunnels and thinking "we're lost, where the hell are we, where's this one going, this is just too much". This doesn't last long and I was kind of looking forward to its clearing and finding its way. Unfortunately, after about 20min, a very annoying and increasingly persistent note of stewed blackberry/blackcurrant/ anonymous fruits of the forest appears and decides to stick around and overtake everything else for the rest of the perfume's journey. It's a note very similar to something usually found in a slumberhouse like zahd or sadanne, the vagabond prince or H&G multiple rouge. I happen to hate all of the aforementioned. Structurally it doesn't make any sense. Imagine, if I could make an architectural comparison, a steel and glass cube on top of a Victorian house. It's out of place, doesn't make any sense and ultimately doesn't look pretty. I'm a big fan of 'ugly' in perfumes, but this is not it. It's just, confused. It's nice. It's, 'okay'. But I don't want nice. Not anymore. Ultimately, if I want Leather & Grapes, I'll stick with PG cuir venenum, thank you very much.

deadidol
deadidol

I’m partial to juxtaposition and dissonance in perfume, but having worn this a few of times now, I’d have to categorize it as “confused” rather than “confusing."

There’s a lot going on uptop: fruits, flowers, herbs, balsams, all marinating in a waxy, dry honey. The florals smell wild and grassy, although lavender seems to dominate. The herbs are tame and bleed into the florals. The fruits are tangy, so I’m guessing it’s grapefruit. After twenty minutes or so, the composition sorts itself out and settles into a dusty, leathery, rooty thing with the honey note haunting the background. This part’s muddy and a bit inarticulate for me — a sort of orris soup that’s part botanical, part resin, but comes off a bit like a powdery tobacco leaf note merged with crayons. I’m not thrilled by this stage as it doesn’t have much to say, but if it had stayed there, I would have been okay with that. Sadly, it doesn’t. It collapses into a grim, textbook, javanol-esque synthy sandalwood that’s simply disappointing. Plenty of people are okay with these bases and plenty of perfumes rely on them, but I can barely stand them anymore. Even though I wasn’t enamored with the scent to begin with, the dry down ruined for me — and even then I couldn’t get rid of it.

I don’t want to peg my dislike of lame bases onto this scent as there are far, far worse examples to be found (I own a few myself). But it stings most when what appears to be an otherwise reasonable scent resorts to such a lazy move. Fundamental isn’t my style — it smells dated and a bit too CEO/briefcase for me. It would probably go well with a linen wardrobe, a tan, designer stubble, a pair of mirrored shades, worn on a yacht while striking angular poses. I wish I could say that it’s a good effort that’s just not my thing, but I’m not quite convinced that's the case either due to that base. As a new line, I hope they have some more tricks up their sleeve, but this one’s hitting too many bunk notes for me.

8-8,5/10

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Rubini Fundamental fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Rubini Fundamental, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Fundamental by Rubini. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Fundamental by Rubini represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.