Designers » R S » Oriental Spicy « Groups

Le Roy Soleil Salvador Dali for women

Le Roy Soleil Salvador Dali for women
dislike

Le Roy Soleil Salvador Dali for women Pictures

Le Roy Soleil by Salvador Dali is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for women. Le Roy Soleil was launched in 1997. The nose behind this fragrance is Philippe Romano. Top notes are pineapple, mandarin orange, apple, bergamot, brazilian rosewood, lemon, papaya flower and rhubarb; middle notes are cyclamen, apricot, carnation, cinnamon, orchid, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley and rose; base notes are sandalwood, tonka bean, amber, patchouli, musk, vanilla and vetiver.

Pineapple Mandarin Orange Apple Bergamot Brazilian Rosewood Lemon Papaya flower Rhubarb

Cyclamen Apricot Carnation Cinnamon Orchid Jasmine Lily-of-the-Valley Rose

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

Fragrance Review For Le Roy Soleil Salvador Dali

Top Notes:

Pineapple Mandarin Orange Bergamot Lemon Apple Papaya Brazilian Rosewood Rhubarb

Middle Notes:

Cyclamen Apricot Carnation Cinnamon Orchid Jasmine Lily of the Valley Rose

Base Notes:

Sandalwood Tonka Amber Patchouli Musk Vanilla Vetiver

First of all I love the design of the bottle. This is yet another one of those "show them off" type fragrances in your collection/wardrobe. Le Roi Soleil (don't know why they're calling it Roy) King Louis the 14th had an emblem created for him and it was the Sun with a male face. It was a sun symbol for the classical Greek sun god Apollo. Louis the 14th would dress up like Apollo during ballets performed at the court of Versailles. He fancied himself a French sun god and myriad statues of Apollo were built in the Gardens of Versailles. He believed he was the head of a new age of Enlightenment. As a Francophile and French history lover, I look for French perfumes with historic appeal like this one. I was very enchanted with this perfume.

At the first spritz of Roy Soleil, I was in Citrus Heaven. It's a fresh sunny summery burst of citric scents which include natural bergamot, sweet mandarin, and sharp lemon. The orange smells are a typical opening of unisex fragrances. Both women and men's fragrances have citrus openings. I maintain that this is unisex, not only because of the citruses but because those base notes are masculine: musk, patchouli, vetiver. It's like softer men's fragrance. But make no mistake. This is still a beautiful woman's perfume. The fruitiness in the top notes keep it so sweet and delicious enough for me to enjoy. It has papaya! It's hard to find papaya scents in fragrances. They're calling it papaya flower but it's papaya fruit. If you like fruity frags, this is a pretty cornucopia of fruits. It smells like walking into a banquet hall in Versailles where there is a large table with floral displays and tons of fruits: mandarin oranges, papaya, lemons and apples. The apple scent is there in the background and it starts to mingle with the rose that begins to bloom later on.

At the heart this fragrance has some sweet flowery smells: rose, jasmine, lily of the valley, carnation and orchid. Enough flowers to satisfy me, but the fruit scent dominates, in my opinion. The carnation tends to take over any floral accord in fragrance and it does so here. It's a lush carnation. It's accompanied by an exotic orchid, and a subtle lily of the valley. Mmm. In my imagination, when I smell the flowery scents in this perfume, I'm in the Gardens of Versailles when the sun is going down. I get whiffs of flowers and the late afternoon breezes blow through my hair, lifting up the floral fragrances into the air. It's a serene garden.

The dry down is a tad woodsy with sandalwood but it's mostly patchouli, aromatic, herbal, green. The patchouli is a good partner for flowers, even though one would think it wouldn't be. The green garden. It's herbal/floral. The patchouli here is not a weed but more like leaves that surround the flowers. Then at last you get a pleasant vanilla, which can also become just a bit powdery. This is such a beautiful well composed fragrance and it deserves more attention. It certainly got mine.

If you like citrus florals, fruity florals and vanilla, good looking bottles, and you have enjoyed wearing other Salvador Dali perfumes, particularly the ones in the fruity floral category such as Dalissime, you'll enjoy this one. This is nothing like the 1st Salvador Dali which was an intellectual musk similar to Paloma Picasso. This is a sweet, peaceful afternoon in Versailles. Very nice.

CoconutCoffee
CoconutCoffee

I have the scented soaps from Le Roy Soleil range and I love the fragrance. I want to try the edp/edt but I have been unable to find a sample. The soap fragrance is deeply satisfying with a complex rose that is never sweet, a vibrant tea, and something tangy and marine. Nothing like the notes listed in the fragrance so maybe I would be disappointed if I did try a sample. I guess I have to just enjoy the soap as a skin scent. The soaps sell very cheaply online. Under-priced in my opinion but hush let's keep that to ourselves ;-)

Walking Unicorn
Walking Unicorn

This is a unique fragrance and a new summer love for me. Even though it is an oriental I find it wearable for warm weather. Le Roy Soleil goes on your skin with boozy pineapples and rosewood. It's the aroma of the Hawaiian King Sun that brings forth bright sunshiny happiness.

Mari_on_net_te
Mari_on_net_te

My all time favourite.
The most beautiful perfume ever; I can`t even begin to describe it, it`s so multi-layared and refined, and utterly GORGEOUS.
Imagine a huge ball-room, with lights glittering and shimmering softly with a hint of mystery, with delicate, enchanting music in the air, not coming from any specific source, and the oniric atmosphere straight from a dream.
That`s what this fragrance is like for me.

I will never understand why they discontinued it.
My huge stash of all kinds of samples is a result of my attempts to find a suitable replacement.
Marina de Bourbon is close, but the sillage and the longevity cannot even be compared. Should anyone find anything even slightly similar, do share the knowledge please :)

Bublegum
Bublegum

I love this perfume. It is quite unique. In my opinion you can wear it all seasons. Unfortunately it is very very difficult to find. And if you do, it costs a fortune :( I have a little left in the bottle and wear it at special occasions.

SumoTigerCat
SumoTigerCat

Yohji and others have done such a fine job in describing Le Roy Soleil. To me, it is like sweet liquid gold. The pineapple is so beautiful and refreshing for summer. Wearing this inspired me this past weekend to grill some pineapple with honey, lemon juice and black pepper..... it was absolutely delicous! And it just went so well with Le Roy Soleil, hahaha! Great unique bottle. I am loving The Sun King. But why is his face so sad? He should be happy that so many love him!

Planet_X
Planet_X

King Sun is the most unique among unique ones of Salvador Dali. Its truly the King of this brand. It shines bright and projects optimism by his oriental soul .

Spiced, soaked in apricots and pineapples rosewood, exotic, intoxicating, warm, definitely boozy and life-asserting. If you like notes – this one will be your first choice and best combination.

Its south of Spain of course, the perfume of Barcelona, quirky as Gaudi buildings, very Art Nouveau.

The perfume bottle was designed by Salvador Dali at the request of the Schiaparelli company, and made by Baccarat. It is one of the most famous and valuable perfume bottles ever produced by an artist.

Gosha
Gosha

Le Roy Soleil opens with a fruity-balsamic blast. The combo is very strong, sharp, to me even harsh at the beginning due to (what I perceive as) bounty of pineapple and other fruits and the various resinous/woody/hearty components. It is a potent stuff with an aptitude to become toxic if used in excess. Or so I thought. And then I asked my fellow passengers in a car what they thought and they said that they couldn't smell anything! :-D Goes to show again how differently we experience fragrances. This concentrated optimism, "bigger than life liquid" is very feminine and somehow glamorous and lush (although perhaps not as strong as I thought) and I can see why it's loved by many. The drydown is deep, mellow and somehow sensuous and as someone else mentions here - every now and then I catch a whiff of sour cherries or something "cherry-like" that makes this fragrance even more attractive to me, a cherry lover.

Sweet Sea Pea
Sweet Sea Pea

It was 1997 and I was in London with my future (now ex) husband. I was 20 years old, and a college student back in the united states. He dragged me into Selfridges, saying that his mum would sample perfumes and cosmetics there when she was my age. I saw the bottle, the Dali signature, smelled the most divine scent I had ever experienced, and charged an unthinkable sum onto my credit card for a bottle of perfume. Although I associate this fragrance with a very specific time of my life, the fragrance and it's own story looms larger for me. When I tracked down a second bottle in San Francisco in the mid 00s at a fancy french perfumerie here in San Francisco, I had no idea that it would be discontinued the next time I came around to needing one. Truthfully, my 1.7 oz EDP still has a way to go, but now that I know it is so rare I am in a panic to get more. This fragrance will haunt me for my entire life. It is so complex, so changeable, adult, sexy, glamorous and beautiful. I'd be happy if this was the only fragrance I could ever wear (and had an unlimited supply). I am currently seeking my next signature fragrance, and thanks to Fragrantica I am now researching notes and classic fragrances that are similar to this one. I know it is very unique, however, and I will always have my own love story to go along with the tales inside of the bottle.

Edit: I managed to score a 1.7 oz slightly used LRS Parfum de toilet (which is very concentrated, like the one I already own) on eBay for $32 including shipping, so it's not impossible to get more of this. Just keep your eyes peeled.

Also in my recent explorations I think that oddly, Bob Mackie Mackie has a similar drydown to our beloved LRS. It's certainly not identical and Mackie does not smell as dreamy or refined, but it does have a similar shape to it. Also, it's dirt cheap, so give it a try.

MirageMirage
MirageMirage

Smells almost identical to Marina Bourbon's signature scent!

Ashes19
Ashes19

I received this in a Legends gift set for my birthday. Overall, I really like it! The rosewood hit me first and hard. It reminds me of my mother's old hope chest and all of the treasures she kept inside. Next, I get the cinnamon, lemon and rose notes. Then the patchouli, tonka bean and sandal wood. They're all there, distinct from one another, but very complimentary. It's a lovely combination and it certainly stands apart from other perfumes on the market. It's very woody and musky, but the citrus and floral make it feminine. Maybe it's the rose and musk together, but I have to say this scent is kind of... mature. Definitely not for the under 20 crowd. Sillage is quite perfect for the scent, it's noticeable but not overwhelming. Longevity, on the other hand, left something to be desired. It's pretty much gone within 2 hours. I'll definitely make this a special occasion perfume;It's versatile and could be worn day or night. I think it would be appropriate for professional conferences, something to make one memorable and in a good way (so long as one doesn't wear too much).

stormyla
stormyla

I bought this fragrance because I quite liked the quirky little bottle and because of it's association with the great Salvador Dali. It had sat unopened in a box for several years until my cat one day knocked over the box and brought it to my attention.

Not having any great expectations, I opened the bottle and to my total amazement was instantly engulphed in a wave of fragrance that seemed like a ray of sunlight had broken out from behind a bunch of clouds. This scent is totally unlike any other that I have experienced.

Sweet, boozy, syrupy, fruity, powdery, spicy, warm, playful, musky,floral,woody...... Boy is there a lot going on here. Six kinds of fruit and one vegetable. Oh, but the sweet sunny pineapple seems dominant throughout the first two stages.

Every time that I think this fragrance is starting to turn cloying, that cheery pineapple perks up again. This is an oily, extremely rich fragrance, but brilliantly sunlit. It's not tropical, I'm not really sure that it can be categorized. It is quite a heady scent. It is gorgeous but also a bit intimidating.

My bottle is parfum. The longevity on me is 10+ hours and the sillage is moderately heavy. I could not wear this fragrance everyday, but I can't wait to pull it out on a cold rainy February day and see if it will bring that intense sunlight to brighten up my day!

It is of interest to note that this fragrance brings incredibly high prices on Ebay for concentrations less than parfum. As this lovely fragrance is discontinued, this is one to be on the lookout for. If you don't like the fragrance, someone else will be willing to buy it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 8-20-2013

If what I read in Vogue Magazine online in a profile on the life of the designer Elsa Schiaparelli is true, this perfume was actually launched as a collaborative effort between Salvadore Dali and Ms. Schiaparellli under Schiaparelli parfums in 1947. Salvador Dali was a great friend of Ms. Schiaparelli's and the two often collaborated on various fashions and accessories. Her famous bird hat is one of their well known collaborations.

Now that I think about it, I do recall seeing the same bottle with a fragrance of the same name also bearing Ms.Schiaparelli's name with comments about the Salvadore Dali bottle design in older Schiaparelli fragrance auctions.

Dollycat

I finally got another big bottle of this dilicious scent. I'm so happy and i will treasure it very much! LOL

BikiniBabe
BikiniBabe

A very grandiose bottle and a fantastic perfume!

There is nothing out there that i have smelled that even comes close to Salvador Dali's Le Roy Soleil. It had such a wonderfully balanced blend of fruity sweet high notes that were very well grounded with amber and sandalwood. Oh how i miss it! =(

U can follow me on YouTube @ BeautyOnSale

EmilyTheStrange
EmilyTheStrange

One of the most unique scents ever!!! Very fruity and once you've had it on for a while the sweetness and fruitiness balances out beautifully :) I am very careful with this as I know it's not being made anymore...so it only comes out for special occasions in the warmer months. I'm lucky enough to have the EDP (not the EDT) so it's lasting very well. Whenever I have this on I get so many compliments :)

Alexandre
Alexandre

Sweet nectar perfume! Indescribable, a very exotic blend of fruits and a woody touch ... Very sensual, great for the summer ... I wish I could buy back ... Only Yvresse by Yves Saint Laurent compares to this! Surreal as a work of Salvador Dali!

suhaesa
suhaesa

a beautiful real fragrance from the times when real perfumes were about to end..and ofcourse as all good things in life they get discountinued ..
i can smell so much carnaion and carnation seeds ..its full in the base with tonaka bean vanila amber patchuli and the heart is full of fruty notes papayabergamont apple green mandarin orange apricos and rhubub ! there is also cinamn musk and vetiver..its a complex perfume with many accords
a warm sensual oriental spicy woodsy strange basket of frutes but as you leave frutes outside for a couple of days the room gets that strange smell to me i smell this smell..

100 ml 80 % volume
perfume ratting 3.9 out 5
bottle ratting 4.5 out 5
my personal ratting 2.7out 5

meligonlan
meligonlan

I cannot believe they discontinued this masterpiece. What a unique perfume!!! sniff sniff.

carina.oala
carina.oala

Love it!!! The smell is so different from other perfumes I have. It is strong and long lasting, gives you a strong self confident and sexy personnality. It is so feminine and sophisticated. You can't tell that smell dominates, the fruity, spicy or woody. I wish it wasn't discontinued. Really would love to have another bootle of it.

paleface
paleface

Le Roy Soleil is strange and definitely unique. I have never, before or after this scent, found anything similar. And this was also one of those perfumes I first disliked. But live and learn.

Soleil opens with a burst of very ripe (even over...) apricot (not a typical peach!) and pineapple in a wooden bowl. Mandarin and orange are also there but disappear rather soon.

You know that awkward feeling when wondering if everything is okay. And when trying this perfume first time I was wondering. But ten minutes later I took a sigh of relief, everything WAS okay! The bottle was not old with bad gone fruits, withered flowers and rotten wood. Unlike in real life, odours of "organic matter" got here better and better, fresher also - which is hard to believe :-D

So, after the initial shock I was sniffing an extraordinary and different perfume with fruits and flowers: carnation, cyklamen and orchid; that is, something tender but spicy. (To me it is difficult to separate notes here very accurately, which is a case in many older perfumes. The number of ingredients and the skill of blending, I would say...) But anyway apricot was still there, perky and alert, leading the whole procession along the lane in the park, where bark of the old trees added roundness and pleasant dryness to everything else.

So, making a long story short(er), when times went by, notes mingled and softened to a wonderful, bright and sunny experience. Longevity was remarkable as was sillage.

That was my first date with Le Roy Soleil. Afterwards we have met many times, and I like it ("him" in this case? ;-) better and better. Nowadays this juice makes me smile every time I wear it!

Sarah Bas Eleazar
Sarah Bas Eleazar

This beautifull perfume is between "Obsession" and "Opium" with lots of cinnamon. So you can imagine how it is...Smiles!!

Dollycat

My all time favourite! I´m almost finished with my third bottle and i´m very sad that this excellent perfume has been discontinued for several years and i can´t find me another bottle anymore. Crying because i get never tired of this loud and very soapy and strong scent but so addictive!

Lotto.Lupus
Lotto.Lupus

A very disappointing smell for me. I thought it would be posh, since everybody's after it, but I found it really bleak and repelling, Simply not my taste, I guess. :-/

maritta
maritta

I have had a sample of this forever and today I decided to try it properly. I found out that this is truly amazing scent. Oh I love it. Why did it take so long to find it out. This scent is like a comforting fairytale that is true! This reminds me of those times when scents differed from each other. It was in 1995 that I got obsessed with scents. I'm really disappointed that scents of today are so similar and weak in comparison to the masterpieces of that time. More and more releases per year and poorer quality. Feels like the perfume houses are underestimating the lovers of perfumes...
Anyway, this is unique spicy perfection that I will be looking for to get the whole bottle.

EDIT I found an almost full 50 ml bottle of this from flea market for 2 euros. How lucky can a girl get?

elsa84
elsa84

The best perfume i have ever had, very unique...i still wonder why did it stopped

Lyndyloub
Lyndyloub

Wish I knew where I could get more ..I wore it for years after buying in Tampa Florida at the Salvador Dali Gallery. Absolutely loved it........

zoetegoed
zoetegoed

The base is too strong and masculine for me, it could be a unisex scent?

derkargy
derkargy

It's been many years since I've seen it on the shelves for the last time and I think it's been discontinued.(the only S.Dali perfumes I've found here in Greeece is Laguna and Dalimania).It's a strange,but alluring perfume.I wanted to buy it but somehow I'd changed my mind.It's not exactly oriental or woody-oriental:maybe both of them or nothing.

Hyponse
Hyponse

I don`t know whats wrong with this fragrance, but it`s not good. I got a bottle as a gift, and I couldn`t stand the smell.

jaa456
jaa456

This vintage gem reminds me of white wine. The luscious fruits are boozy. The enticing floral and stone fruit are lightly spiced by the cinnamon. The scent is kept anchored by the woody notes.

This scent doesn't want to go to work. It's lazy and lingering. It wants to meander through shops or read a book on the veranda of a vineyard.

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

Sunripened fruits basking on a dry wooden bench, right on opening! Such a cheerful surprise in contrast to the sombre expression on the bottle.

Then spicy cinnamon trounces in, but its spark leaves all too quickly from the surface of my skin. However, I still detect its sweetness in combination with the wonderful bouquet of flowers.

Warm balmy apricot with an earthy base is what remains on my skin. Beautiful and fleshy, almost with a delicious eroticism--most decidedly Dali.

Thank you Chat Lunatique for giving me the opportunity to sample this lovely vintage.

Bratka
Bratka

I love, love, love it!!!
Spicy, bright, feminine, a little bit oriental and powerfull - just like King The Sun. For independent content and happy women.
Very long lasting on my skin, on clothes till wasching.
Le Roy Soleil on the top og the bottle is sad, but the fragrance is optimistic and unique. Anytime - for me - perfect.
just: perfect!

melia
melia

Thanks to nanano, I have a little bit of this heavenly perfume! It is very 'Dali-ish', something wearable but different than anything else. Staying power is okay, compared to other ones. It is warm, juicy and spicy, but in a watery way (which is positive here!). I agree the drydown is a tad musky here. I feel really sunny and special when wearing this, just like a sunbeam!

adrienn99
adrienn99

this is quite OK. Mostly I get roses and citruses somehow with a boozy upbeat (reminds me of cognac). Quite strong scent.

The drydown is very sensual indeed, someone quoted cherries and I agree with that (although later on there is a little plastic smell but still good).

asilverfire614
asilverfire614

I finally got a mini of this because I love most of Dali's fragrances, and this is certainly no exception! Other reviewers have described it very well so I will be brief: on my skin, Le Roy Soleil is very much like Vivienne Westwood's Libertine, except LRS's pineapple is fresh and juicy and its florals are bright and sunny, whereas the VW has a musky undertone. This is the only fragrance I've found that even remotely resembles Libertine...so I had to point it out! :)

elusivek
elusivek

Potent stuff! Very very strong so be sure to use a light hand!

On opening it is sweet, fruity (tropical, mostly pineapple), and fresh. It's like taking a deep breath of the sunshine on a warm spring day.

As it progresses I get the lily of the valley and jasmine which add to the brightness.

After approximately 20 minutes it starts to deepen when rose, sandalwood and amber arrive.

What's interesting is I don't get any of the spice or patchouli. It's a very sunny floral fruity composition without too much sweetness on my skin.

For me it's a perfect spring/early summer fragrance.

Passionflower
Passionflower

Very pleasant uplifting summer scent. I imagine myself at a summer garden party, wearing a flowery dress (which I don't have, but nevermind) and drinking white wine. Fruity, sweet and happy!

From this perfume I have the vintage and the new one, and in THIS case the new one is better! It is much stronger, which I like better! That is rarely the case however, 95% of all perfumes that are reformulated is better in the original format.
good luck!

Something really funny, Nilang by Lalique is quite resembling this one. The funny thing about it, is that the notes suggest entirely different perfumes! I have them both and they remind me of eachother!

LIN
LIN

Best perfume ever!! so romantic, floral and deep smell. I just can't get enough of it.. unbelievable!!

guest_dasholme
guest_dasholme

Best perfume of all time, been using this one for 14 years and cannot find it anywhere now :-( Just used my last drop!

lucifera
lucifera

also owned it, but then in the perfume pen version..back then it was quite strong, it had a good sillage power *_* almost sickening when i used a few spritzes too much

MirabelleJee
MirabelleJee

I was lucky to catch the old version of this now rare and expensive perfume. I like it. It opens on my skin with fruity notes, and then come some leather and bitter notes. I like Dahli perfumes for their expressivity and individuality. They are not for young girls younger than 20-25. LRS is softer than Daliflor and Dalissime from my collection. Long lasting.

da_markos
da_markos

wow - this one is really nice. opening is quite spicy - nowadays it could be assign as unisex. unfortunatly for me ;) middle and base notes are rather femine. anyway very good scent

monochromatism
monochromatism

My favorite, but hard to find. I've just ordered some soaps in desperation.

guest_queenkey
guest_queenkey

This was a fragrance I was hunting for years. Got my first mini in Ontario, Ca. Then some years later on vacation in Florida found the 3.4 Bottle at a perfume shop and I almost passed out with glee! The orient meets the tropics! Fruity, woody this is listed as fruity oriental can be spicy if your nose smells it that way. Remember, everyone may not smell notes you do! Lovely, wow!

KalteStern
KalteStern

One of my all time favourites, although tragically now very difficult to find - even Strawberry Net see to have run out, and I am down to my last bottle. On the skin, it is extraordinarily complex, starting out as a quite sweet oriental floral, including a rather fruity rose, which quickly becomes much more earthy, dry and spicy, with little hints of all kinds of things, which makes it very hard to describe in comparison to other fragrances. A friend of mine who tried it on remarked on how it kept releasing waves after wave of different notes over time, as though it were telling a story. Very long lasting, and could be treated as unisex, it would smell great on most men, I suspect. The men's version is perhaps rather too dry for most tastes, although it must sell well, as it is still available

azuriiita
azuriiita

one of the best scents that i did smell until now... wonderful... enchanting... feminine... sophisticated... distinctive... delightful ... a masterpiece¡¡¡

BlackAmberMoon
BlackAmberMoon

Reminds me of the tropics - a great choice for summer! Fresh, breezy, and natural. Very fruity/marine opening dries down to a sweet, spicy base. A good one to take on holiday. Fantastic bottle, too! Unfortunately, I can't wear it (bothers my sinuses), but it's still good.

the point about it is that you may find it suitable for all of the seasons and the spicy taste of it.between the fruits I smell something like cherry,although I see here that cherry is not in its bases.