Designers » R S » Oriental Fougere « Groups

Salvador Dali Pour Homme Salvador Dali for men

Salvador Dali Pour Homme Salvador Dali for men
dislike

Salvador Dali Pour Homme by Salvador Dali is a Oriental Fougere fragrance for men. Salvador Dali Pour Homme was launched in 1985. The nose behind this fragrance is Thierry Wasser. Top notes are lavender, clary sage, basil, anise, bergamot, tarragon, tangerine and lemon; middle notes are jasmine, lily-of-the-valley, geranium and heliotrope; base notes are sandalwood, amber, patchouli, oakmoss, vanilla, cedar and vetiver.

Lavender Clary Sage Basil Anise Bergamot Tarragon Tangerine Lemon

Jasmine Lily-of-the-Valley Geranium Heliotrope

Sandalwood Amber Patchouli Oakmoss Vanilla Cedar Vetiver

Balenciaga Pour Homme

Salvador Dali Pour Homme Fragrance Reviews

LaVieEnParfum
LaVieEnParfum

to all salvador dali frangrances fans.

they have a new official website, where you can order almost all his fragrances, even exclusivities and rarities.

have a look: perfumes-salvadordali.com

don't now if fragrantica is interested in publish this, the first review has been canceled immediately!

WHY???

georgequeue
georgequeue

This fragrance is great, strong, and manly!

I have a bottle that my mom gave me on my birthday in 1997, and it's half full because that's not the kind of EDT I'd like to smell like regularly. Unluckily, the juice has gone stale, but I have to acknowledge it's a top-notch quality, interesting scent whose projection and longevity are utterly powerful.

Ravenwind
Ravenwind

I had hoped for something very surreal and exotic, but unfortunately to my nose it smells just like YSL Kouros…a sweet incense. Granted, it has a better longevity, overall is maybe a little lighter and the oakmoss adds a small dash of depth, but it was not out of this world as i would have expected from something named after this Master. I'll use it up, but nothing i would wear to a gallery. Superb bottle design, i will admit! It is a small sculpture. Not nearly as disappointing as the James Bond 007 "brand" fragrances!..green apple instead of martini & cigar??? what were they thinking?

brandonR
brandonR

So far, Salvador Dali PH is the closest perfume I've come across that truly represents art in a bottle. The wearer who doesn't care for this type of scent is going to be the person who just wants to simply "smell good". He's probably your average Macy's fragrance counter shark interested only in the latest Aqua Di Geo flankers. Of course there's nothing wrong with that, but individuality probably isn't going to be at the top of his "to do" list.

I think to claim that a fragrance doesn't smell as others describe is a narrow minded thought. Smell is subjective. As for me, put me in the gothic camp with this special occasion scent. To be honest, I feel that Salvador Dali PH should have been called Haunted Mansion. When I put this cauldron concoction on, I imagine the most peaceful cemetery in the world just outside of a heavily wooded forest. Old weather worn headstones in a mildly unkept yard where ivy and foliage are plentiful. 50 yards up on a hill sits an old 3 story haunted mansion, complete with dank secret passages, antiques, furniture draped with sheets and old family portraits where eyes follow you wherever you go.

Although there is a sense of calm and serenity, there's equally a feeling of restlessness when the sun goes down, as echoes of footsteps can be heard on the spiral staircase. Am I exaggerating the Salvador Dali PH experience? Of course I am. But probably not as much as you may think. Do not blind buy this fragrance without ordering a sample first, or you may find yourself caught up in a whirlwind of regretfulness.

Surely this is what the Ford Theater smelled like when Lincoln was shot. Salvador Dali Pour Homme is antique, charming, mysterious and haunting. It has a story to tell. If you're patient, open minded and willing, this Fall time classic will slowly pull you in and never let you take it off your dresser chest.

mista majestic
mista majestic

Basically I wasn't very impressed at all.

It is not dark, eccentric, dirty or gothic - some of these reviewers seem to have over active imaginations with their thoughts about this scent. It literally smells like the 80's..it starts off for the first half hour smelling just like Georgio Beverly Hills 'Red'...I wasnt expecting to go straight back to my first cologne but thats what it smelt like. Then in dries down to a honey/soapy fragrance.

Very out dated and I can't see me ever choosing this over anything else in my collection to wear. Thankfully it was only a 5ml minature that I bought.

On the plus side - it does last a good long while.

ezequiel91
ezequiel91

Today used six shots on the trigger. Eight hours later, added two shots of 7 from Loewe. Wow... This overdose almost killed me. This is too strong patchouli, on a very heavy and meaty way. Suffocating. Good stuff for the aficionado, never for the general public. I will keep it in my wardrobe. P.D: no drakulesque, too sweet for that character.

starmerj
starmerj

It's probably a total cliché to say this, but this fragrance is incredibly surreal and eccentric.
I don't know if Dalí had much involvement in this fragrance, but I can definitely picture someone like him wearing this.
What I'm certain about is that Thierry Wasser did an amazing job in turning Dalí's character into a scent.

One thing I really enjoy about this fragrance is that it goes through three very distinct phases.
The opening is extremely loud and brash, and probably my least favourite part of the fragrance if I'm honest.
It's very dark and extremely herbal and spicy with an earthy backbone. I don't really detect the fruits that are listed in the top notes.

Some time passes and the fragrance suddenly turns very floral and almost feminine. This is definitely the most surreal part of the fragrance.

The base, which is my favourite part of the fragrance, is an earthy combination of oakmoss sandalwood and patchouli. This drydown actually kinda reminds me of the opening to Guerlain's Heritage.

The projection is very strong throughout most of the scent's life on skin.
The longevity is amazing on skin; I get around ten hours.
Not that it really matters, but the longevity is astounding on paper and clothes
I once sprayed this on a tester strip and it took five days for the fragrance to fade away.

I own two bottles of the fragrance. I have a miniature of the original formulation from the early 1980's and a 100ml bottle of the reformulation.
There isn't a huge difference between the two, but the original formulation has less of the herbs and spices and A LOT more patchouli.
Longevity and projection are around the same on my skin for both formulations.

Unfortunately, although I enjoy the fragrance and want to keep in in my collection, this isn't one that I find many opportunities to wear.
I'm only twenty-one and this fragrance is way too mature for me to really pull off. I tend to just wear this fragrance around the house and on cold, gloomy days.
I think people have said this before, but it's a perfect scent for Halloween!

I think that anyone with an interest in Salavdor Dalí should definitely check this out. Most Dalí fans I've spoken to are surprised to learn he has a fragrance line.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

A haunting, claustrophobic genius fragrance which smells like nothing else. And makes nowadays' "gloomy" and dark animalic scents smell like candies. Not to stick to clichés due to the signature on the box, but the first minutes are actually a great surrealist olfactory journey in a weird, ghastly, bizarre world made of rancid fruits, carcasses, thick petrol, narcotic herbs, black rubbery sticky smoke. You really feel yourself stuck in a locked closet submerged by any kind of curiosités. And above all, or below all, a really elegant, timeless, subtle but bold fougère accord with a prominent smoke/black woods accord, which is just lying there, far and silent – an old man looking at you crawling in this gloomy, cadaveric circus of notes. Maybe Dalì himself, that is fun to see this that way. An amazingly evocative and morbid scent in which I can barely detect a couple of the notes which are supposed to be there – pure alchemic transformation into a unique, straightforward, undiscernible liquid. It takes a bit of time to love this potion, but when you start doing it, it's just one of the most unique and captivating fragrances ever made. And most important, back on Earth... a bit challenging but not as much it may seem (just a tad too rubbery after a while - better in cold days I guess).

8,5/10

brickbishop
brickbishop

To think Thierry Wasser created this fragrance when he was 23 is astounding. Having said that, the fact that he is now the in-house perfumer of Guerlain is a testament to his talent.
I'm an artist and way back when this was launched in the 80's I was asked by Neiman Marcus to create a large display for the store, the fragrance was enough of an inspiration in itself in spite of señor Dali's amazing legacy and talent. I met him once in the late 1970's and this fragrance is the absolute essence of the man and his art, surreal in a way, it is different from anything that you will find on the market. The combination of herbs and spices mingled with flowers is truly the perfume of a wizard with a dark side that shines like the Sun King. I have recently rediscovered it almost 30 years later and it still gets compliments from both sexes, especially those who are so young as to have not been born when it was launched surprisingly enough...

beavisbonce
beavisbonce

The olden days and a knight on horseback gallops to deliver roses to a maiden in a castle. The roses are crushed between his chain mail and leather vest. For the best part of the day he travels in the heat and arrives at dusk. At the gate the torches are lit already. Our lady looks out from the high window and with heart in mouth gathers her skirts and rushes to the courtyard. The heavy door swings open and she is presented with the token of love. These bruised crimson offerings, now doubly pungent with eager sweat are handed over. She hastily inhales along with the smoke from the lit twigs, the damp stone, the surrounding yonder forest now cooling.........she leans up to kiss his beard and tastes chivalry.
Yes I believe this scent would have been around in 1500.

A very animal fougere. By that I mean it has very musky floral notes which tend towards an unpleasant animal quality rather than anything else.
Nothing clean at all about this one and that's usually okay with me as I enjoy a olfactive challenge every so often but this is pushing my boundaries. Dali is a filthy patchouli fragrance but its the oakmoss, heliotrope, clary sage and geranium in pour Homme that is a nightmarish combo for those who don't enjoy a very strong, invasive vibe. I can't stand musk when it takes your breath away and I'm afraid this perfume has that effect. I don't find it particularly masculine either more of that pissy old woman dead flower vibe people often describe.
So not at all my cup'o'tea however there's some positives. When the initial blast of musk dies away there's a complex array of notes underneath for me and it definitely transitions from and awful fragrance to just a really bad one.
Yeah so I'd steer clear of this one if you're not a fan of floral musky scents.

kelleybelle
kelleybelle

LOVE this scent, Dali for Men, and strangely enough, a male friend gave it to me, thinking it was a female fragrance, lol. I'm in LOVE with it and start wearing it as soon as the days get cool, and wear it throughout the winter,too. Not for summer or daytime at all. So rich and spicy and warm. Sweet at the same time and unlike anything else.

DSun
DSun

I first bought SDPH back in 1989 and it introduced me to the almost-taboo (for a guy) world of perfumes. It smelled so different from everything else out there and, believe me, it wasn't love at first sniff.

I detected something malodorous in there, but I couldn't pinpoint exactly what it was. Flash forward about a year later, I was filling up my gas tank when it suddenly hit me: SDPH has the smell of diesel added in it! I was incredulous! So, I went home and took a whiff at the bottle, and sure as hell, it is unmistakably and undeniably there. Gasoline stink in a perfume...how appropriate for the master of surrealism.

At any rate, this is still the best among all that I've tried. Not for the faint-hearted. Heaven only knows what other non-traditional smells Salvador Dali and Thierry Wasser have concocted in there. (I think there's rubber in it, too!)

Tomfinx
Tomfinx

..maybe your wife was menstruating. If your wife does not like Salvador Dali PH, change your wife!
GREAT SCENT 10/10

scodav
scodav

(I'll let my wife take over the review for this one:) "It stinks! Wash it off." And later, "I can still smell it!"

Labaloo

Actually, both the 1992 and 2010 frags are called simply 'Salvador'- but yes, three completely-different compositions by as many designers.

I see that Thierry Wasser has been crowned the new nose-heir of Guerlain- making 'SD pour Homme'- one of his early masterpieces- all that-much-more sought-after- get one while you can!

renperd
renperd

This is so flat. Like degassed Coke. It's got the same flat oakmoss smell as Halston 1-12. I so want it to live just a tiny bit on my skin, but no, it just sits there pouting, showing me a hairy middle finger. Got the same treatment from Robert Piguet's Oud. Just don't know how to approach these 'fumes to make friends...

EdsonNardi
EdsonNardi

I Dared to try this scent due to the reviews presented here. The first impression from the outset that appeared was the strength and impact of the initial notes. The patchouli is evident and in a strange way. While the eastern portion of this note is visible on the other hand it seems to refer to some past environment shrouded in mystery and sensuality. Some women have told me that this fragrance reminds some person nice but closed, others said they have a bold and distinctive touch. Definitely you should not apply too much on your skin. I use this perfume routinely on cold days and in moments when I want to give a touch gimmicky and impactful. I think it is an excellent option to leave the routine and come into other olfactory possibilities. My score: 8.5/10

I pulled SDPH off my dresser and back into the closet for quite awhile to purposely forget that I even owned it. Eventually, I was succumbed back into the dark abyss of my closet to once again tread the dangerous waters, and to go the 12 round distance with the Ivan Drago of my scent collection.

Try as I may, I just can't ditch this bottle of cologne. It's too goddamn intriguing. One thing I can tell you for sure, this fragrance has the best mid note showcase of all of my scents.....PERIOD. You want different? Here's your different right here! If AMC's the Walking Dead was sponsored by a men's fragrance, it would be SDPH. When smelling it, I have visions of a zombie standoff in a car junkyard complete with burning tires in the deep woods in the middle of Autumn. Lots of guns, ammo, rusty cars, burning tires, barbed wire and body sweat.

Welcome to the most brutal patchouli hell on earth you can experience. SDPH should be an exclusive Halloween scent. You wanna smell pretty for the ladies? I don't think so! If ADG is the extreme North Pole, consider SDPH the extreme South Pole. Not a cologne for pussies.

Sapian
Sapian

Last weekend was really hot and dry. I went paintballing in the middle kind of a field/forest area, but there were a lot of really old tires for cover. When we were walking to the playing area we found a pair of filthy boxer shorts on the ground over all this wet, kind-of-dead grass in the shade. The joke among my friends was that someone soiled them. We were all very sweaty and some of us had little cuts on our body from running through the forest.

This is Salvador Dali pour Homme, for the top notes at least. As the scent dries down it becomes more stereotypical 80's, but never reaches the "stereotype" classification. There is still a bit of weirdness to the scent, even to the inexperienced nose. It's not the satanic scent that some describe, but it's definitely unique and interesting.

Wear this in hot weather only if you want to embrace your sadistic tendencies; it's definitely a cold weather scent.

Where is Nosferatu? Where are the ghosts? Where is the great weeping and gnashing of teeth?
Nosferatu must have worn patchouli.
Patchouli. Patchouli. Patchouli. That's how Salvador Dali Homme opens. Very woody. I detect a lot of oakmoss and some anise. I don't find it overly musty.
It dries down much sweeter. Anise is prominent and there's some smoky vanilla. There's also dirty vetiver and powdery heliotrope.
At first I was not too impressed by this fragrance, but in a matter of 40-50 minutes it's rather grown on me. This is not to say I hated or even disliked it, it just was not what I was expecting. No mummies, no haunted houses. Instead this fragrance makes me want to watch Twin Peaks. Perhaps this would be Killer Bob's signature fragrance?
As a woman I find this perfectly wearable, but I enjoy chypres. Actually I prefer male woody chypres over female floral/fruity ones.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Yes, it starts off dark, mysterious, antique and musty. Profoundly odd, in fact. The only scent I have smelled remotely like it is Lush's Breath of God. This is what a ghost smells like. Or, as somebody pointed out, Nosferatu.

But wait! Within a half hour or so it gets powdery and feminine as the floral notes come up. And it is this feminine base that turns me off as a candidate man's fragrance.

My wife likes it, but agrees: it's really a feminine scent.

A similarity to Antaeus? Never! I don't get that at all, and I've worn Antaeus for years. One reviewer cited a similarity to Van Cleef and Arpels Pour Homme - yes, I agree.

I must admit, however... this scent is certainly Daliesque and the bottle suits it very well indeed. Surreal. The total package is most convincing. I'd think a Goth chick would love this.

crunkabortion
crunkabortion

Salvador Dali pour Homme sends Antaeus to bed with no supper and then sleeps with it's mom.

I love them both, but this one has balls.

Descartes
Descartes

There is nothing Dracula about Salvador Dali pour Homme ; The bottle is an interpretation of Dali's painting Aphrodite of Knidos ( a pronounced chin and a mouth ) and the juice is a woody floral chypre ( sage, aniseed, lemon, cedar, geranium) The vintage smells completly different to the reformulation, with a herbal masculine oakmoss as dominant note,oakmoss at his best..

RemingtonSteele
RemingtonSteele

I absolutely get a civet vibe from this even tho its not listed. Smells very nice, does remind me a bit of Kouros, meaning it is a complicated fragrance, which is nice in this new heyday of bland citrus everything. Pick up a bottle and smell different! Just smelled Antaeus for first time, and is a bit similair.

PeterWJ
PeterWJ

I applied a drop to each wrist and waited for the magic to evolve. I don't get any lemon, tangerine, tarragon, lime, anis, etc as it opens up, but instead an interesting mix of chocolate, pachouli and wet soil. The chocolate only announces itself in short whifs now and then.

After 10 minutes the composition changes to become sweet and cloying. Vanilla and pachouli are dominating the show, while the wet soil has turned in to an underlying moldy smell. Not too comfortable, but still interesting. This makes me think of Karl Lagerfeldt's Sun Moon Stars. That one exudes a similar but all the more fusty feel. While Sun Moon Stars is a deep and fusty female scent, this one could easily pass as a sweet and earthy gender bender.

Throughout the first hour the sweetness develops to become all the more strong and dominating. I'm not sure that I've ever worn a fragrance this dark and sweet before. I guess it has a purpose like anything else in this world. One dry note and this dark and dubious volatile would be separated in a way that would render it ever more cloying, and the message be lost.
Now; i do not like it the slightest bit on me, but I will be my own guinea pig tonight for the sake of discovering something odd.

Two hours into the drydown I start sensing the citric notes. They are vague, but they are there. And they've probably been there all the time to appreciate if it wasn't for the loud vanilla and pachouli duo.

As I am going to sleep, I will place the wrist near my nose and tell you all about my surreal dreams when I wake up again.

Awake and no signs of Dali's kamelion on my skin. Although, the journey through its colours are kept safe in the vault of my memory along with my dreams.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

I'm perhaps in the minority here in not smelling any severely dirty or animalic notes in SDpH. There is a bit of a skank to it, certainly, but nothing extraordinary to my nose, and I'm not saying it to be contrarian - I really don't smell it. Dali opens in a very brusque and condensed accord of lavender, geranium, artemisia (wormwood), anise, patchouli (super rough patchouli), and a very concentrated oakmoss note, which absurdly vies for the lead here. If the perfumer had his way and didn't have a brief to adhere to, moss would likely have been the star of the show. Some have alluded to this composition resembling Kouros, but honestly I get much more of a Balenciaga PH vibe (sans BPH's bright fruitiness), especially with that piercing wallop of artemisia and anise. The anise creates a slightly astringent and antiseptic feeling, bolstered by the coolness of lavender and geranium. This creates what could perhaps be construed as castoreum, but that's an illusion - there's none in Dali (budgetary constraints must be considered), but I'd argue there should be - or perhaps civet instead - it might add a little depth to the drydown. As is, Dali's top is unique, graceful, earthy, dry, a little sweet, and a total success.

Then, after an hour, the drydown: Dali's budget becomes evident, and while remnants of lavender and artemisia remain to lend woody-herbal spice, the other notes hollow out and become rather flat, forming a bitter envelope into which all of the above is sealed away and lost. The intensity of Dali's intro is what gives people the chills, but with such rough-hewn patchouli, bitter evernia prunastri, growly wormwood, and stark lavender/anise, that's understandable! I prefer Balenciaga, but Dali is a dark, intelligent, unmatched piece of modern perfumery, and despite a relatively lackluster second act, deserving of every compliment it receives. Just wear it with commensurate confidence.

chrisaxp
chrisaxp

I got a very small .27 oz bottle of this online because I was intrigued by the reviews. I opened the bottle and smelled it and BAM! It was like getting punched in the face. The first whiff before application was highly chemical almost like gasoline, but I was committed So I applied the Dali sparingly as it was the first cologne I was ever afraid of (after reading all the reviews). A drop on each wrist (there was not a spray applicator on the mini) and a drop on each side of my neck. My initial reaction was - ok this is a very strong floral, but that didn't last. It then warmed down to an oriental type spice mixed with musk. I applied it at about 4:30 pm and it was still going strong at midnight. This is powerful and sexual and incredibly hard to put your finger on as to what you are smelling.

It is so hard to describe. Telling you how it smelled is like trying to describe a Dali painting to you only using words. If Chanel's Antaeus is the scent James Bond would wear while taking some incredibly classy beautiful model type to a classy hotel room after winning $100,000 at the baccarat table; Salvador Dali Pour Homme is the scent that a guy wears and ends up banging some chick in the alley behind a seedy bar. It was visceral, erotic, dirty, very fun, but a little bit scary.

I'll wear it again, but I am not sure when.

Mooncatt

Sad to say, the perfumer's Vetiver began to affect me very badly-smoky,, bad smell/taste all over my lips & tongue.:( others may like it, otherwise it's very nice.

pablOSO
pablOSO

The scent of the dark side...

some people say that this is the perfume of Darth Vader..

to me Vader uses Anteus....

a beautiful scent...

Mooncatt

I agree that it must have been reformulated. It's not nearly as bad as some reviewers have said , and my new bottle is different, and quite elegant! The top notes are strong and dark , with maybe a suggestion of blood. I'd know if it smelled of cat litter! The dry down is warm and pleasant. I'm female, and I may have to apply one spriz well before I go out to let the first notes wear off, but I wouldn't mind being smelled this way,:) Now, I 'm waiting for Purplelips Sensual to arrive.

FreshToDeath247
FreshToDeath247

Just got a 1 oz sample and woahhh. Powerful, unique, masculine, spicy, strong, and Dark and Bold. A strong piece to any collection. Not an everyday kind of cologne, but def for wild nights out.

Brahmsfourth
Brahmsfourth

This is a scary brew. A nightmarish mishmash of howling notes that will take you aback. Wear it to a witches' sabbath or a midnight rendezvous in a cemetery.

Totally agree with Robbie in this one! One of THE best male perfumes ever!!!

RobbieX
RobbieX

A heavy, lovely, daring and dark floral/patchouli scent for man. Although a woman could possibly wear this. It's a real powerhouse. Very potent with very good sillage and longevity. I love this. Reminds me (a little) of Antaeus by Chanel and Pour Lui by Oscar de la Renta. The part I like best is the opening sillage which is heavily floral, dark and gorgeous. The drydown, I find, is quite powdery - but still lovely. A great and complex scent with tons of character. The Dark Powerhouse!!

Zenith
Zenith

Firstly: everyone calm down, it does not smell like dracula the wolfman or any other creature from your nightmares.

The opening is quite similar to Davidoff Zino with added leather, and a little bit more aggressive. Smells a little bit chemical, but not in a synthetic way. Be careful with this one though.

The drydown smooths things out considerably, but still maintaining a very dark, masculine and highly original fragrance. Not for everyone but check it out.

The bottle is a really cool piece of art too, capturing the surrealism of its namesake.

First impression from dab sampling: Subtract the "green" qualities from One Man Show and smooth it out a bit, perhaps adding a touch of amber and leather as well. That is basically this fragrance when you get to the drydown. The opening is powerful and different, but doesn't last long. As in OMS, there seems to be a lot of castoreum here. It may be a bit too simple (due to the blending, I'd guess) for me, but I'll have to wear it again normally and update this review (I only did a dab sampling). Projection ("sillage") is moderate to good with minimal application, once you get beyond the top notes, and longevity is at least very good. Mine is vintage, so if there were reformulations you may have a very different experience with this fragrance, for all I know.

UPDATE: Regular wearing: This one is a bit cruder than the original Davidoff scent, but smoother and more complex than Vermeil. If you don't like castoreum but want something similar, though simpler, there is 273 for Men, though I tried that years ago so it may have been reformulated into something different by now.

UPDATE #2: A blogger has claimed that the drydown for this one is not good, but that was a Cofinluxe formulation. I have an original as well as a Cofci formulation (1997), and the drydowns are great for both of them. My advice: do not waste your money on reformulations. If there is any claim or indication of a bad or weak formulation, have some patience and seek out the "good" formulations. In the formulations I have, this one blows the proverbial doors off just about all niche I've tried !

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

This scent reveals itself to me very differently depending on how I apply it. Today it was extremely lovely: Antique leather, Jasmine, incense, and cigarettes. Romantic in a sort of way. Remarkably still gorgeous after all these years!

AlessandroVil
AlessandroVil

Not nearly as sexy as I thought it would be from the reviews here and at basenotes.net. This stuff smells dark, but so does gasoline. I would stay away from it. I am absolutely the biggest fan of dark mysterious scents, but this stuff falls short. It is average power and not mysterious or sexy. Not very good in my opinion. It is dark scent, but nothing at all above average.

Grottola
Grottola

A dark, dirty lavender & patchouli combo. Distantly there's a faint smell of kitty litter, but otherwise this is like a cold industrial city on a dark, rainy night. A city where everyone is building upward but the darker, grittier areas of the city below get forgotten by time. This is the smell of those places on a cold, rainy evening. Dark and austere, yet full and inviting. Projects well and lasts quite a while.

I most definitely appreciate this fragrance... and I applaud those who can find a proper situation in which to wear it.

In my opinion this is sort of similar to Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills, but mustier and darker, and much richer and fuller.

krmarich
krmarich

I have an older-still very potent bottle of Salvador Dali thats been stashed away for years. Reading below regarding the "blood" note has peaked my curiousity. Did I miss something? I think I wore it once or twice many years ago. It has sat, gathering dust for all of this time. Its one of my oldest bottles.

One spray on paper. I am careful with castorum. Somehow its gets in my sinusus. Indeed, blood-its there and even mixed with the other notes becomes apparent.

Its more of a chypre/fougere than an oriental. This is a strange, yet beautful creature, indeed. When it debuted it was very expensive. I loved the bottle and barely wore it. I thought it was strange in the 80s. Its now beyond "retro".

The opening is bold and makes me sneeze. The floral heart barely beats-how many notes are really there? It boggles my nose, really. I am rather skilled at picking apart notes-not with this one for several hours. Patcholi, oakmoss, cedar, black leather, coumarin and amber darken it dramatically. The vanilla is barely there!

Generally castorum is sexy(Anteus, Kouros and Oscar De La Renta PL). KL Homme is so well composed that it becomes part of the composition. Here it is downright predatory, sanguine, wild and shocking. Its far from pissy-just blatant. Yes, I can almost taste it! Yikes!

By todays standards, its contraband. I never refer to something as dated or old, yet this seemed "old" in 1985. It was always like a half remembered dream... Younger noses may stop working altogether upon sniffing it. Its sugar free and intended for adults only.

This is werewolves creeping about in the full moon light, looking for victims. It takes its place as the darkest, most provocative part of my collection. Due to its projection(fills a room), I will not wear this in public. Perhaps its repulsive? Its perfect for sitting at home watching old horror movies...I must return this one to the shadows for now.

rienzope
rienzope

Very odd experience with this. I bought blind and was eager to give it a sniff, so I sprayed a bit on the carboard box. Nasty experience with that... definitely like used kitty liter. Thinking this would only be good if I needed to mark my territory.

But I did give it another shot in the privacy of my home, because I certainly didn't want to go out in public smelling like cat urine. I must admit, it was quite pleasant, although dark and a little musty, when I wore it that way.

So I plan to give it another try. Hoping it was just something in the box that caused the bad odor.

haborym26
haborym26

very, very dark fragrance,like a poisonous flowers and fuel. excellent longevity,10 hours+ on my pale skin with good sillage.i adore this fragrance!

Roqfort
Roqfort

Great, smoky, mistical and elegant fragrance, and it doesn't smell, like grandpas scents (Santos, Kouros, Paco Rabanne PH etc.). Lasts ages and love it.
We are over 15 years together... :)

mortderire
mortderire

This smells like the crawl space in the apartment building I grew up in, where stray cats urinated and a homeless man once lived. It's one of the most offensive man-made odors of all time, after bodily ones and possibly even as awful.

jimmy2801
jimmy2801

I really love it!

I feel like wearing Westwood's Boudoir, but in a male version!
Definitely outstanding and perfect, if you're not so much into that one millions, hugo bosses and joops on the market.

I got much tattoos all over my body, i'm young, i love to wear nice clothes and this DALI fits in to all that.

Once again...love.

Macassar
Macassar

a wilder version of Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme , darker , more animalic . Very nice and powerful ...

Labaloo

The more I learn about fragrances, the more this particular, almost-forgotten-and-hidden-in-time little gem fascinates me: it's actually an intriguing fougere-chypre hybrid of a beast- and these number very few... The fougere accord of oakmoss-tonka (not vanilla- someone needs to change that please and sample some May wine)-lavender-citrus is present in all its fern-y glory, *as well as* a chypre accord of oakmoss-patchouli-castoreum-labdanum-citrus... the "bridge" being oakmoss (a double-whammy dose of it!) and citrus... which is why, perhaps, the citrus exists in duplicity (I smell tangerine and bergamot only- sorry, no lemon). Geraniol being a common modifier for both accords is of course present, as well as a bundle of herbs making the heart quite complex, and enhancing some of the terpene facets of patchouli while diffusing the lavender. Definitely one-of-a-kind... and a must-have in your collection even if you never wear it! (I do on occasion... because it is a brilliant, off-the-beaten-path powerhouse quite unlike any other- both mysterious and darkly butch).

Endymion
Endymion

Unfortunately, I'm quite sure that it has been reformulated :(
First, the package is changed - the box and the spray.
And the fragrance, althought the inital blast is the same but it soon becomes "tamed".
I don't mean it's bad but it's not that black demon is used to be, it's a neat vampire now (who drinks true blood :)

dread
dread

Bought this for my boyfriend. It is very masculine, different and mysterious. Love it.

cowboykenny27
cowboykenny27

This is just too 'old school' for me , Perhaps it the oakmoss and dirty lavender in the fragrance I just dont know . I like the bottle design and only bought this fragrance based on Dali's involvement with Amanda lear . I also get the smell of 'blood' from this but I put it down to the oakmoss and something that smells slightly metallic in the composition .

3nigm4_br
3nigm4_br

Everyone speaks well of this perfume disendo he is "shady", "Evil", etc ... for me he has nothing, it's just a old school very old and too bad.

People associated the scent of dark matter and now this post to "horror stories" about him ... this is a joke because he has none, does not smell something dead or anything, just a strong perfume, old and bad.

When I smell it what comes in mind is an old house inhabited by an elderly couple where the grandfather (over 75 years old) uses this scent and is lonely because of the scent that is very bad.

There is no "black aura" is not a perfume "bizarre" or "dark" or "evil" as people say, it's just a woody floral scent very dirty, strong, dry, old and really bad.

SDpH is a great DD (dirty / dark) fragrance but to me it sounds like a good remix version of Kouros with boatloads of herbs thrown in. Dark, mossy, deep, awesome.

Rating: 7.5/10

dancewithmatt

Ahhh Dali! A masterpiece! A legend! A fragrance that will go down in history! That fateful day I discovered this precious perfume is one that i will always remember. I was on a train in the Asian country-side, on a trip with my dear friend Emilio. My name, by the way is Hannratio. Not that it matters, its beside the point. But Emilio and I were meeting our old chum Carlos.
While we were on board, travelling late one night, a darkness fell over the carriage we were in. Only the twinkling stars were visible from the windows. Emilio, Carlos and I, Hannratio, huddled in the corner of the carriage. We heard a horrible shuffling noise coming towards us. We looked up, squinting our eyes, and each of us gasped one after the other. Gasp. Gasp. Gasp. There stood a man, in a black hooded cloak.
He held out a wrinkly hand and pointed to each of us, muttering in a strange language that none of us could understand. Or so I thought. But all of a sudden, Emilio began speaking back, 'OHH MA LA CHA CHA RUUF JAJGARLLII OKEY DOKEY.' I had no idea what she said, apart from okey dokey, but then the most unusual smell drifted under my nose. It was a mixture of dead animals, such as pigeons, alpacas and an assortment of small rodents which were all piled on top of each other in a bucket. next was the scent of not 23, not 25, but 24 rotten eggs, to be exact. also, it also had a hint of rubbish and other human waste. then came the dirty smell of old dead bodies that have been rotting for centuries so that only bones are left. finally, a touch of daffodils, and it was complete. i was all at once intoxicated. Emilio, knowing what the hooded figure, who had now disappeared into a wisp of smoke, had told him, picked up a round perfume bottlethe colour of diarhoea with lips on top, and scooped all the fragarance left in the air into the bottle. I recommend Salvador Dali if you like to smell. But I never said smell nice.

vangogh3
vangogh3

I will blend Salvador with Demeter Humidor to create an entirely different fragrance effect. The dry-down becomes leathery and rich with a hint of fresh cigar tobacco aroma. Very nice. Salvador is a unique EDT for sure, but is a very well blended fragrance. Wearing a fragrance, much like everything else is an individual experience. What I like may not sit well with someone else, but that's what makes it what it is.

dancewithmatt

soo altho its a different but unique smell, my friend hannah wears it and suits her personality very well, its a very dirty off smell that does catch pplz attentions, it is a very stale grandpa like smell.... for ppl who just dnt care what people think, id say its not a smell 4 every day just special occasions like work functions, birthdays or just hanging with the girls..........not recomended 4 mature ppl tho

guest_VanGogh3
guest_VanGogh3

Just got my bottle of Salvador Dali, and I must say that this is a very fine blend. It starts off a bit eccentrically, (much like it's namesake), but then gives way to the beautifully rich leather and woody notes that creates an exciting and relaxing feel at the same time. Very well done.

funnyboy
funnyboy

To me this is a pure winter scent.I only wear this on very cold days and it makes mw feel warm and relaxed.
The lasting power is amazing,at least 10 hours.
Definately not for the faint hearted or the teenage market.
I get many compliments when wearing this.Think it goes well with dark clothes and a candlelight romantic dinner.I agree with a previous reviewer who compares it with Jaques Bogart's Witness which I also love for winter and has similar notes and stayind power. in my opinion a good 9 out of 10 for quality and strength but an acquired taste for some who prefer subtler fragrances..

originaldeftom
originaldeftom

I wore this as a youngster back in late 80ies/ early 90ies. While I have always been in trigued by Dali's work, I did not quite understand the complexity of it (just like I did not get Prince's music initially). Today this would be entirely different as I love heavier scents now.
This is not for the faint hearted for it smells a bit of an older, greasy, grimey, if not a bit slimey, older man that teters on the line between utter class and pure dirrty sex.
There is a bit of old church smell, leather seats in an old train, yet there is also an old attitc scent that screams to be discovered.
All those fantasy impressions are underlined and framed by this strong peppery, herebaceous, bittersweet green notes.

You can see it is not a scent for the faint hearted! An odyssey through space, time and scents.

What "Thriller" is in the music video world, this is the olfactory equivalent! Great for Halloween!

Genius!

instantjim

It is over a year since I first reviewed this fragrance and now that I actually own it, I thought it was time to revisit it, being the great piece of art that it is.

Like the man himself, this is an eccentric fragrance and one that is the olfactory equivalent of Dali jumping up and down in public to get attention. It is no "shrinking violet" (it is rather more like a narcissus).

Like Dali, it walks the line between good taste and crudity (or should I say "crudite" -possibly spontaneously transforming into a fried egg).

It is both dirty and sweet in its opening: like a dark latrine pit into which someone has poured a sack of lime and into which several small animals may have fallen to their deaths. Throughout its early life, there is a dirtiness which is slightly veiled by a sweet spiciness. There is also at the same time, a bitter aspect - almost like cloves are present (even though no cloves are listed as ingredients).

After about an hour (or slightly longer or shorter depending on whether your watch has gone all floppy and has ants crawling all over it) this fragrance has toned down a little, but is still dark and brooding.

There is a similarity with Witness by Jacques Bogart, but it is only slight. this fragrance has excellent sillage and longevity.

SculptureOfSoul
SculptureOfSoul

Dali PH is an excellent dark, mysterious, and almost off-putting scent.

Definitely a scent to sniff for anyone who considers themselves as (or wants to project the image of being) "dark & mysterious."

My only complaint is that the smoky woods and tar like note of the leather accord in the base can become a bit overpowering and synthetically irksome as the dry down progresses. This prevents me from wearing the scent more regularly. Even so, there are occasions (rock concerts!) when nothing would be more appropriate than Dali PH. It is truly one of the most unique scents out there and anyone who considers themselves a perfume enthusiast should endeavor to seek this out and give it a sniff.

If you're looking for something with a very similar vibe that is a bit more refined and higher quality, although has less of the tar and smoky notes, check out Amouage Memoir Man. Memoir Man not only shares a lot of the same notes but definitely shares a similar vibe and evokes similar mental images and emotions, without any of the ostensibly synthetic qualities that Dali PH has. As a result, I find it much more wearable than the Dali.

Cyntillate
Cyntillate

Dali Pour Homme is very romantic and sexy and sophisticated. A man wearing this is confident, articulate, and very tasteful. It is not for the young and inexperienced. This scent is intoxicating and mysterious. Very inviting and if you accept the challenge it is playful. It is really a men's cologne and I love to steal a spritz for myself late at night when he is away. The longing and lust present in this fragrance are good company...

FloresDelMal
FloresDelMal

this fragance is a child of the 80's, heady, sexy, dirty, animal, bohemian and just a bit slutty, i got this one long ago for my couple, but he didnt appreciate the femenine side of Dali, so when the days are rainy and grey i give it a go, and i get plenty of compliments; a true unisex, even thought it wasnt intended that way.

Disconouvo
Disconouvo

The intensity of this scent was to meet Salvador's longing for scent to evoke memory. That it does. The richly complex bouffe containing around 120 different notes is sure to command recall and make new memories every time it is worn. In a market of simple vague transparent male scents this masterfully delivers a prolonged adventure into olfactory bliss. Tough intro for baby noses but with a patient introduction it is inevitably satisfying on the deepest level.

Saint-Patrik
Saint-Patrik

I got nostalgic and bought a bottle of this quite heavy 80th scent. I should not have done that. Outdated, oldfashion, screamy horsstablesmelly and not for the modern man.

The bottle is nice though.

I...eh....have to change my oppinion about this one. Its not that bad after all. To tell you the truth it is a great scent. It projects well, the lastingpower is super and it draws attention and compliments. I still cant say that I like it but I have to admit that it is not as dated and as screamingly horsstablesmelly as I first thought and maybe it is ok to wear for the modern man.

preetmonger
preetmonger

I am very pleased to have this wonderful fragrance in my collection! Salvador Dali Pour Homme is without a doubt a fragrance for special occasions. It is also wearable for most evening outings if applied in moderation (a maximum of 2 sprays would be the recommended dosage). This is quite possibly the darkest selection in my collection, and while I would not hesitate to wear it for most evening outings (it is a bit too heavy for hot summer usage), however it is most likely not an office or casual daily usage scent. It is a difficult to describe fragrance, and while heavy and most certainly a dark fragrance, if you enjoy heavy orientals like I do, you will love this one! In summary, I would describe Salvador Dali Pour Homme as a very unique, heavy oriental fragrance with strong sillage and excellent longevity, which is very wearable when applied judiciously. The bottle is primo and in true Dali form!

instantjim

I tried this today. I told the guy the fragrances I liked and he suggested it. To me this is similar to Kouros in many ways, which I like very much. It's woody, spicy, peppery. I don't know about the Nosferatu references, but if we have to have him in the picture I would say it's Nosferatu playing a banjo which is spontaneously turning into a leather shoe. Lasts very well!

guest_nijmegen
guest_nijmegen

.....IF U LIKE THE ATMOSPHERE OF OLD THEATER....GOING FOR A TRIP TO THE OLD TEMPELS.....LIKE A BREATH OF ORIENT....IT IS THE SCENT FOR U.... big class!!!!!!!!! very very masculine with a strong leather power......AMAYZING EUROPE SCENT... ...defenetly unforgettable

guest_d
guest_d

this is the most romantic fragrance ever

minimalist
minimalist

Arid and thirsty scent, to me it smells like a stone warmed by the sun.True the mentioned "Nosferatu Accord" lol, dark and dry...

da_markos
da_markos

hmmm it's very strange - definityly not for ppl who like simple & fresh scents... i'm still trying this but our relationship is very difficult

it really has sth disturbing... someone told that it's nosferatu scent - i can agree with it ;]

after some try of this scent:

i know that dali was a great painter. but dali pour homme really smells like urine... it's great fragrance for haloween when you are in nosferatu/dracula/wearwolf/zombie/canniball/ costium ;]

this one is scary. bottle is like from nightmare (pregnant bottel with big lips) and so is the scent... to use this should be one of the trap in "saw" movie.... " smell or die - make your choice"

game over

p.s. i back to this scent and now i find it interesting. still don't like it but it's very complex scent

fqjcior
fqjcior

This one reminds me of Zino and indeed it has VERY similar top-, heart- and basenotes. However Dali is much stronger and potent. It has big 80's sillage (it's easy to overdose it) and it is amazingly longlasting. One thing I am sure of - it's not for fresh scents lovers. It's dark and heavy. Smells a little like blood, like a vampire breath :-) So you have to be careful using this...

desmondorama
desmondorama

A dirty lavender, it's very masculine and European. Sexy and musky with lots of wood.

I love it and it's part of my collection of manly, dirty, sexy perfumes.

Lasts all day with good sillage. Works well in heat for me; although I'm unsure if others who aren't perfume-savvy would appreciate this wonderful fragrance.

Not recommended for those who like to smell 'fresh' and clean.

Salvador Dali Pour Homme by Salvador Dali 4.22 out of 5 based on 230 ratings and 73 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Salvador Dali Salvador Dali Pour Homme fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Salvador Dali Salvador Dali Pour Homme, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Salvador Dali Pour Homme by Salvador Dali. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Salvador Dali Pour Homme by Salvador Dali represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.