Designers » R S » Woody « Groups

Peau D'Espagne Santa Maria Novella for men
dislike

leather
smoky

Peau Despagne is a fine dry woody fragrance inspired by the Spanish leather. Top notes: bergamot, carnation and jasmine. Heart: neroli, cedar, violet leaf, and hawthorn. Base: birch and civet.

Available as 100 ml eau de cologne. Peau D'Espagne was launched in 1901.

Carnation Jasmine Bergamot

Neroli Virginia Cedar Hawthorn Violet Leaf

Birch Civetta

Opoponax

Peau D'Espagne Fragrance Reviews

palebluemoon
palebluemoon

its all about leather and only spanish leather in citrus juice, love it but its not creative similar to any other spanish leather but extra sharp

K1
K1

Being born in 1901, Peau d'Espagne is forefather of many tarry leather compositions we consider heritage today. It's rather harsher than what called Russian leather (birth tar and leather) but turning pages of leather perfumes history, it is probably the last standing portrait of legendary favorable leather of Spanish court.

It's extremely bitter, astringent and acrid tarry, mentholated, phenolic leather and woody grassy. Just to give a reference, Lush Breath of God is also on the same frown face but not hundred percent overlapping. Peau d'Espagne is just masterpiece.
★★★★★

NazguL2
NazguL2

Such an amazing scent. The opening is a blast of animalic floral sweet that It's kinda fruity for me, like peach.
It's heavy but ... IT IS UNISEX.

ZELJO
ZELJO

Piel de España,in spanish,its real name, got like 7 30 mls of it at a bargage shop and...this is strong,few people likes that one,but these few ones,loves it, old,real old,school,a little Aramis just to make a tiny comparison,few drops are more than enough and only in very cold days

FruitDiet
FruitDiet

I haven't yet met another person that likes the smell of this, but god I love it! It's like mentholated smoked ham! Santa Maria Novella fragrances so reliably elicit perturbed "What ARE you wearing!" responses that it makes me laugh. People hate it but it smells wonderful. I like to think this is the Peau d'Espagne Molly Bloom remembers wearing in the last chapter of Ulysses. Wear it for yourself. "What IS THAT you are wearing!" like it's a personal affront. Mmmmmmm, soapy tarry fatty medicated meat strips. Glorious.

Sacredsystem
Sacredsystem

Peau D'Espagne is a brash yet elegant leather scent from the distant past. Previous reviewers have done a fine job reviewing this beauty. The opening is dry, bitter, smokey, herbal and medicinal coupled with an ambience of old dirty black leather that has been left in an attic forgotten for many years. Simply astounding! It slowly transforms into a warmer scent with the help of amber, spices, patchouli, woods and other attractive notes while still maintaining the beautiful and brutal opening in the background. Eventually after many hours of dark masculinity you are left with a scent that smells like sun tanned skin rubbed with soft leather, flowers and warm spices. This is definitely masculine and not unisex! Much more masculine than Knize Ten. I just can't see a woman wearing this, but if there is one I am truly impressed! I am amazed at the quality of this Spanish Leather cologne. It lasts for over 12 hours on my skin and if you spray it on your clothes you can add many more hours of joy. I prefer to splash Peau D"Espagne rather than spraying. I find it more balanced to my nose. This has been around for over a hundred years and hopefully it will be around for another hundred years.

Ziggy2012
Ziggy2012

The opening of this is very impressive. I was sceptical of other's reports, but it really 'blew me away'

For the first hour on my skin it is the truest 'photorealistic' saddlery or leather for bookbinding. No excessive birch tar/cade 'smokey' quality...and it's not like shiny handbag or shoe leather...its more the smell of a piece of leather that you could do craftwork with..smooth one side and rough the other, almost creamy but with some edge and rather classy ......quite marvellous.

To me, slightly on the masculine side of unisex. A 'happy surprise' and definitely wearable, and not challenging in the way I had expected.

The drydown lasts and lasts, but on my skin unfortunately it is no longer characterised by the leather, but rather by a slightly herbal/subtle floral 'pastille' smell that I remember from childhood but cannot quite name. It is not in any way unpleasant, but on my skin which is a little dry, sadly the leather has gone.

Maybe others will have a different experience. But, I would urge anyone who likes leather scents to try this. This not a pretty pretty floral leather, but it is so good. I am tempted to buy a bottle just for the first hour of it.

Update - interesting addendum, after a shower, the close skin scent now has some of the leather note faintly back but with the herbal pastille quality also present subtly

EnglishCountryGarden
EnglishCountryGarden

I detest that old birch tar leather accord chestnut. It's greasy and nasty to my nose. This fragrance has taken the birch tar out of birch tar. Many years ago there was a Limara Body Spray that had a leather accord in it. It was the Stevie Nicks of fragrance waft, feminine and light with a real kinky undertone if you got close enough. Pea D'Espagne captures this perfectly. It is dry, crisp, herbal, it smells just like those stiff leather sandals you used to get in Hippie shops from India, like the stiff leather shoulder bags and saddles from spain, and, dare I say it, how one would imagine Jim Morrison's trousers would smell while he lay indolently in a field of grass, flowers and herbs - (yes, I actually DID imagine that, well, who wouldn't?). The Glastonbury Thorn note is beautifully evident. One of my favourite scents, when used correctly. I think it is the best, nay, the ONLY leather scent in the world, which is worth spending your hard earned pennies on. Very, very strong - my spill kept the scent for a week. Spray sparingly, and 24 hours in advance to let it dry down to it's beauty. I shall layer it with a whoosh of something floral, and become a flower child for a day, and by night, something altogether more dangerous.

BlueMoon
BlueMoon

LEATHER SPEAKS VOLUMES

I'm in the oldest library in spain and I'm the first person in a few hundred years to take off the shelf an medieval astrological volume.
I open it - and this fragrance is what I smell.

So dry. So dusty. So rich. So (old, very old) leather.

Lasts forever. Thankfully the projection is somewhat restrained so I was not overly self conscious.

This is not for me - but I am quite certain there are those who will not only love it, but who can carry it off beautifully.

emily7
emily7

Eau de cologne? I'm impressed.
In terms of originality, sillage and longevity, this manly stuff exudes liveliness and potency.
Cuir de Lancome on steroids, 100-plus years and still going strong.
Men, dig in!

shamus1
shamus1

Hands down the darkest and driest leather I've ever smelled, yet it smells like there is no birch tar in it!

Intensely aromatic and herbal, Peau d'Espagne magically manages to create a realistic, dark leather accord without the use of oily, sweet or petroleum notes. The resinous, bitter herbs come together like a puzzle and amazingly create one of the most realistic leather accords I've ever smelled in a perfume. After several hours, the leathery smell dies down, revealing a black, dry and earthy patchouli base. Bravo!

Peau d'Espagne is a must try for any fan of leather or dry herbal scents. It will impress even the most jaded fan of leather perfumes.

MY RATING: 9/10

Ulysses
Ulysses

Simply put down:one of the better leather scent around.
It develop a fierce masculine aurea and is elegant too!

A very rustic an rough smelling leather scent. Released in 1901? I can't vouch for that but Peau D'Espagne definitely smells good. It shows a few clichè of traditional perfumery, and while smelling somewhat classic it still shows no aging. An ante-litteram animalic/tarry leather that smells much better than most of its successors. A must try for anyone into challenging, rough and extremely striking compositions. Terrific.

Rating: 7.5/10

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Santa Maria Novella Peau D'Espagne fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Santa Maria Novella Peau D'Espagne, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Peau D'Espagne by Santa Maria Novella. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Peau D'Espagne by Santa Maria Novella represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.