Designers » R S » Oriental Floral « Groups

Shocking Schiaparelli for women
dislike

honey
yellow floral
Shocking Schiaparelli for women Pictures Shocking Schiaparelli for women Pictures Shocking Schiaparelli for women Pictures Shocking Schiaparelli for women Pictures Shocking Schiaparelli for women Pictures Shocking Schiaparelli for women Pictures

Shocking by Elsa Schiaparelli is a oriental floral fragrance for women. Shocking was launched in 1937. The nose behind this fragrance is Jean Carles. Top notes are aldehydes, bergamot and tarragon; middle notes are honey, rose and jasmine; base notes are cloves and civet.

Bergamot Tarragon Aldehydes

Jasmine Narcissus Ylang-Ylang Rose white honey

Musk Sandalwood Patchouli Amber Clove Civetta

Enrico Coveri Paillettes Classico

Shocking Fragrance Reviews

stacia79

Nothing shocking about this. The civet only serves to make it "vintage-y" and temper the honey. This is heavenly. It rides that fence of being sweet and innocent but with an animalistic undercurrent that hints at naughtiness. Wearing this is like a bit of lacy slip or bra peeking out of your otherwise conservative outfit. People think "Well...does she or doesn't she?" The drydown is a sweet incense. This is big enough on character that the bottle being shaped after Mae West's curves is just the cherry on top. This isn't shocking, it's a great example of civet not being scary. It also proves that perfumes from the 1930s can hold their own against today's fruity little candy bombs being sold at Victoria's Secret. The only thing sexy about most of those is the word "sexy" somewhere on the label.

waternight
waternight

I tested Shocking from a sealed nip from the 50's.

I must say, this is one of the strongest perfumes I've ever had on my skin. I love big, strong, sillage-bombs - and Shocking was no exception - but it was SO strong that even *I* considered cracking a window to air out my bedroom.

The opening is definitely a muggy, intensely animalic scent, which I adore. There was something in it, however, that reminded me of frankincense resin. A very subtle dryness hidden under all that humid civet and honey, a very subtle incense note. I loved it, and it worked with the listed notes so, so well. A glorious scent.

After the initial fumigation opening, Shocking does indeed settle down enough to go out into the world, which I did. I was worried that the honey would be the dominant note, as I don't particularly care for smelling so sweet, but instead, I was enveloped in a sweet-but-not-too-sweet cloud of mature, sexy, animalism. In the dry phase, Shocking has a split personality - up close to my skin, she's sweet and warm and lightly musky, but her sillage smells strongly of another note that she supposedly doesn't have - vetiver.

Overall, Shocking did not disappoint me in the least. She is a fascinating, magical perfume with many layers and tons of personality. I have a few more sealed nips to enjoy, and then I will be very sad. I'll save them for extremely special occasions.

Moonlocks
Moonlocks

In the "notes according to your vote" the top notes are pretty much nonexistent.

You know what's interesting about trying it from a sealed nip instead of a vintage bottle? I totally smell the bergamot.

Civet and musk are front and center, lending a certain "muggy" feeling to the scent. However, it does not smell at all like my late ex-mother-in-law's smelly mink coat. It's not nearly as down and dirty as that thing.

It's smooth, with an overlay of jasmine and bergamot. I'm sorry I don't smell the honey at all. Perhaps that's because I spent last week alternating between two honey bombs (Xerjoff Mamluk and By Kilian Back to Black) and there's no honey here by comparison.

I'm not wildly in love with Shocking on ME, because I haven't gotten entirely past the aunties-and- grandmothers scent memories. But I haven't showered it off yet. I'm generally not very tolerant, so that says a lot.

Annica
Annica

A big cloud of civet and honey. Maybe not a scent you use when you are sitting on a crowded bus.
I think the drydown is quite nice, the scent is close to Joop Femme in my opinion, but it feels slightly more "animalistic" I use it very rarely because you have to wait out the smell so long before it has softened, and I cannot find many occasions I can use it, unfortunately.
I like it in some inexplicable way, and it has my respect because it feels well made.

Yohji
Yohji

Thanks to dear mpbrown I was able to try this legendary perfume
Do not know where to start describing what I feel about Shocking.
Its definitely one - of a kind. At least it's the only one perfume which literally transfers you into forgotten areas of your subconscious
I got memories of things I didn't remember for a long time, my mum with her (young at those days  sisters) my aunties, their silky dresses and stockings with suspender belts,  hair in hot rollers...All that noise and laugh and jokes of women when they are "getting ready"...helping each other, getting nervous at wedding time, big birthday parties..
Shocking is a story-teller..It whispers into your ear, it shows you pictures as Ole-luk-oie, it makes you believe in your own power of feminity.
I love every bit of it composition wise. Civet is so sexy in it covered by honey-rosy-musky coat, like someone put it on your shoulders so delicately, so sensually.
Ylang-ylang is so softened by jasmine and narcissus, - and harmony of amber and tarragon at the end. There is no naiveness in this fragrance and there is no pushiness at the same time. Its sexuality paired with the wisdom, for open-minded women with big heart.
Hauntingly beautiful and absolutely surreal. Something that I “must-have” now.

rhaineclayton
rhaineclayton

I ordered a sample of this to satisfy my curiosity. Big mistake - I adore it and it's almost impossible to get! There was something very familiar about it - I would say it's from a similar family to Dana Tabu but it's softer. I can see why both of these perfumes were favourites of Frida Khalo. Oh well, guess I'll just have to be satisfied with my Tabu. Easy come, easy go...

leathermountain
leathermountain

It depends on the bottle, I'm afraid. Generous perfume fairies have sprinkled me from two different sources. One was all aldehydes and white noise (to put it diplomatically), and definitely not for me. The other opens with a clear shining herbs+honey+narcissus trio that works together a lot better than it ought to. Later it warms up but continues to delight. I don't think I could buy it un-sniffed, which is a shame because the right bottle would make me so happy. Another unrequited perfume love.

flowers-in-the-springtime
flowers-in-the-springtime

OMG! The only shocking thing about this perfume is how absolutely divine it is!! I cannot believe how utterly beautiful this fragrance is and what is shocking, is that it is unobtainable. I will not rest until I have a FB in my collection. I think that I would put all my other fragrances aside for this one.
I cannot believe that this contains civet as it's a note that I usually detest as it just dries down to dirty sweat on me, but I can't smell it at all. I can smell the honey note which is beautiful and elegant.
I can't praise this gorgeous beauty highly enough, sultry, smouldering, sweet, sexy, powerful, powdery, spicy, sassy and downright addictive.
Longevity is very average on my dry skin, 4 hours, but that won't stop me purchasing it.
Silage is rather powerful, this is a statement perfume!
Damn it!! I need this fragrance.

Jitterbug Perfume Lover
Jitterbug Perfume Lover

Vintage Shocking by Schiaparelli
I blame Frida Kahlo for making Shocking by Schiaparelli my new obsession.

My cousin, a friend of the curator, arranged for us to have a private tour of Frida’s show at the Palacio De Bellas Artes in Mexico City. It was breathtaking. There were paintings from private collections that I’ve never seen in print before. She told us stories of Frida that the collectors told her. It was as if Frida herself was speaking to me from beyond. I thought I had died and gone to heaven and I didn’t think it was possible to love her any more than I already did.

It was there that I learned that Shocking was one of Frida’s signature perfumes, along with Tabu. It makes perfect sense since both Frida and Elsa Schiaparelli were the “wild” children of their day. Both women had such passionate and colorful lives – Frida as an artist and Elsa as a designer – it was a match made in heaven. From that day forward, I was determined to find and wear this scent.

I am a firm believer in cooking and in perfume that you should always start with the original formulation before you change it and make it yours; so I knew that nothing less than the vintage fragrance would do. It took me years, but I finally found my vintage bottle with the “S” in the corseted bottle based on Mae West’s figure. I began with the Eau de Cologne, knowing that if I liked it, I would upgrade to the pure parfum.

Today is the first day I wear it, and for the occasion, I put together a Shocking pink vintage outfit that Ms. Schiaparelli would have loved. Then, in a moment of passion, I doused myself. With a vintage fragrance, it can sometimes go either way. You can go straight to Heaven or Hell with a spoiled note or two, and I usually play it safe by just dabbing it on and waiting it out. Not this time. I went for it. I doused myself. I figured I had nothing to lose and Frida and Elsa would have wanted me to go for it. Then, I grit my teeth and waited.

About 10 minutes later, I got what I now know is the QUEEN of honey scents. I felt like I was walking in a room full of cut flowers dipped in honey where someone has just made love. It’s a full and complex composition; so well blended that I can’t pick out any particular notes. It has that naughty animalistic undercurrent that I LOVE. It takes the entire fragrance out of the “nice” and “pretty” categories and puts it in the “dangerously beautiful” “sultry”, “risqué” categories. This is not a signature scent, this is a LIFESTYLE. Both Frida Kahlo and Elsa Schiaparelli are beautiful women – beautiful inside and out – for who they were and what they contributed to this world as women and this fragrance is a tribute to that lifestyle. I can’t deny that this fragrance makes me feel beautiful and inspired and unique. I feel like it’s the only fragrance I have that acknowledges that I too have a purpose in life, like I am here to fulfill a very specific calling in my own unique beautiful way. Wear it well and bless this world with your unique beauty and your unique purpose too.

elsie.oliveros
elsie.oliveros

If there is a perfume that deserves 5 out of 5, this is IT. What a masterpiece! A must have for any collector. I was lucky enough to be able to get the perfume version that comes in the exquiste torso bottle (which Jean Paul Gaultier copied). Well....for those who believe that scent can transport you to higher realms, this is Nirvana. A scent created by an actual human being, in his lab, an alchemist. Like all perfumes of yesteryear, it has a soul.
I got a textbook on perfume making these days: by computer. Once a person chooses in the program what artificial components he/she wants to throw in, they click in the scent. Then they have all these volunteers (the type they are targeting for sales), they attach a bunch of electrodes on their heads and ask them to sniff different options. This is entirely true! I have photos of the person sitting in front of the computer and the volunteers with the electrodes, sniffing away.
Ok. For a lot of people, this is perfectly fine. And I know you have the right to your opinion. As for mine, to compare a perfume made with mostly natural ingredients, made by a master perfumist, thinking to create something magical, and a frag meant for mega sales created by a computer....Again, to compare them, the computer creation would be the Frankenstein version of a perfume: a Frankenfrag.
I am very happy that there are out there, still, small companies trying to make perfumes the old fashion way, as works of art.
Again this is my opinion.

oldnose
oldnose

This was my mother's signature fragrance and all of my memories of her are filled with this beautiful fragrance. I spent hours as a little girl opening the bottles to memorize every note. I can remember burying my head in all of the fur collars on her coats where the fragrance lingered. When I was no more than seven or eight years old, I remember going into the city all dressed up with gloves, just to buy her Shocking. As if it were yesterday, I remember the beautiful department store counter where it was sold and those beautiful bottles!

Many years later, after it had been discontinued in the US, I moved to Italy with my Italian husband. Every time I went back to the US to visit my mother, I would make a trip to France to try to find it to take to her. Of course I could always find it in Paris at the Schiaparelli boutique in the Place Vendome, but sometimes I could find it along the Riviera in a dusty old perfume shop.

She died several years ago and I have since returned to the US. I began searching for it a couple of years ago and finally ordered a bottle from Scent Direct.
When I first sprayed it, I was at first disappointed because the reformulation is not the same. It is much sweeter with less civet. However, the character of the original fragrance is still there and it is still a knockout fragrance. Men love it and I always get so many compliments when I wear it. Most importantly, when I wear it I am comforted once again with my mother's love and I know she is near me, smiling.

ayxa
ayxa

my mother's favorite fragrance. we cannot find it anymore.
favored my great grandfather, who was a nose.
where can I find it?

Kiku
Kiku

What makes "Shocking" shocking? Launched in the 1930's perhaps it was the torso shaped bottle. Bottles that looked like dismembered body parts were not as common then as they are now. Or maybe it was Schiaparelli's use of that aggressive hot pink color when pink was namby-pamby and associated with babies and brides. The fragrance is not shocking today. But it is divine: the classic oriental floral combination of citrus, flowers, and spices. A generous addition of honey makes "Shocking" standout and transcend the vanilla bombs that orientals often are. I haven't seen this on perfume counters for decades, it seems to be a forgotten fragrance. Unjustly so. It is classic and timeless and belongs in every perfume wardrobe.

Sunflower9
Sunflower9

I discovered this scent in 1958 when I was 12 and my older sister wore it. It was my first perfume. Actually, it was a large bottle of cologne that I slapped on. The spicy modern scent was very longlasting and aggressive. I have a bit in a bottle I bought in the 90s, but it's quieter and more powdery than the original scent.

zdafina
zdafina

Last so long, even when I wash my clothes I smell it.

mpbrown
mpbrown

I tested a very vintage version of Shocking. It is 16 hours later and I can still smell it - they sure don't make fragrances like they used to boy! Beyond it's massive longevity, this fragrance smelled to me of aldehyde's, white florals, and honey. On me the honey leaned towards the saliva side - not bad, just a little secretion funky which I like. I didn't get any clove or rose (specifically), or tarragon..... it's soft, powdery, has decent sillage but on me I wouldn't call it sultry or vavavoom. It's different, lushy, kind of sweet, very pleasant, very feminine. I am looking forward to sampling this one again.

lovingthealien
lovingthealien

So I've had the opportunity to get acquainted with Shocking through 4 packages of nips for the vintage parfum by now, and I have really grown to love its fresh, smooth, honeyed jasmine a lot. Every bottle I have ever smelled has been off-smelling except for these nips. And today, I receive the much maligned reformulated version of the fragrance - the EDP, still sometimes available online for quite a bit of money.

This is very much an honest attempt at reissuing the fragrance. It's completely different, ingredient-wise, but the scent is very, very close. The opening is a bit more synthetic but it captures every nuance of the original's lovely and very soft opening.

The middle started to blow my mind - it is dead on. Perhaps again a little synthetic, but otherwise dead on. The beautiful, soft, almost liquid jasmine and amber honey accord that is exactly what Shocking is supposed to be. Then it changes from the old one - an updated classic. The patchouli is given a sharper, spicier edge and the soapy quality of the original seems to be toned down. The sandalwood is different, there is a different musk, and there is something like the cumin in Kenzo Jungle present here. It's beautiful, sure, but it is definitely a little modernized from the original (but not much). I can see why one would be upset about it, for it does ruin the illusion of the 1930s a little bit, a common issue with perfumes that have been in production since the first half of the century.

I'm stuck, because it is a beautiful, high-quality rendering of the original fragrance. It is, however, different from the original. Since both versions are rare, discontinued, and expensive, it's hard for me to recommend this one over the original parfum. If you don't mind a little toying with the basenotes (and that's largely to aid in projection IMO), it is definitely one of the best perfumes money can buy. If you want the authentic 30s feel with the nitro musk and the extinct complex vintage bases or if you're simply a purist, you must go for the original.

As for me, I don't think the original Shocking smells particularly vintage anyway and this new version is an example of one of the best reformulations of all time. I miss the deeper animalic base but it's still boiling over with sex. A marvel of perfumery resurrected (though briefly). I only hope that future iterations of this are as respectful to the formula.

kl99
kl99

I recently bought for a few euro the version: cologne Concentrée (atomiseur), that makes me smile since it is a contradiction in terms. cologne = lighter, Concentrée = stronger, then what we have in hand? An eau de toilette, or another incomprehensible parfum de toilette?
Anyway, the fragrance makes me think of a Chinese Carmen. I can smell like a fleshy red rose enveloped in deep spices. It actually has the classic(concentrated) smell of incense stick (cheap one). Those who burn completely without wood inside, which are usually pink or green. this is incredibly intense in sillage and longevity.
An heavy perfume for an elderly woman that still to persists in seduction to any costs.

stacia79

I have a sample of the vintage EDP from the Perfumed Court. This is lovely, quite different from what I expected. Was this ever considered shocking? I find nothing shocking about it. I barely detect the civet that is supposedly all over this. I get a sweet honey with a powdery musk and a whisper of jasmine. Reminds me of honey wine. This is soft and delicate, no one should fear this ladylike perfume.

ivan.vusurovic
ivan.vusurovic

@scarlet5-try holding the cap under hot running water for a minute or two,the cap will"strech"a bit and you may be able to open it.but look that only the cap gets warm not perfume.i love shocking and have all versions of it:edc,edc intense,edt,edt intense,edp,and perfume extrait,body powder-but only the old version,the original is that i like and have.i bought once the edp100ml from new stock and except for trying it its still standing full-not near the original very watered down!the old edt i had put on me yesterday morning and today stil smell it!now,thats a perfume!!!

scarlet5
scarlet5

hi there, I have a bottle of this (picked it up at a house clearance with some handbags etc) It looks to me that it is the 1960's bottle, but (and here is the problem) I can't get the stopper off! It is a plastic top and doesn't want to budge. The wrapper had been taken off, but it's still in the box and is unopened. I wondered if there was a magical way of easing off the stopper? It is a bottle of 100ml and doesn't have the tape around the bottle, but is the Mae West shape. Any ideas would be welcome! Many thanks.

sherylchan
sherylchan

The deepest and most mysterious fragrance I've had the privilege to smell so far; it makes me think of the aroma of a rich and deep wine. Had to wear it for a number of days before I could wrap my head around it. After breathing this in, all the other perfumes on my counter smelled watered down.

The top notes smell like old, herbal wine to me, and I don't really like it. After half an hour, it dissipates to unveil a warm, sensual honey, with a hint of powder and a cloud of ever present spice. This lasts on me for a couple hours before settling down to a pure, base musk.

It's not exactly the nicest perfume I've ever smelled, and I don't think it agrees with everyone around me, but something about this is intoxicating, highly addictive and inspiring.

Frenchie-Loveday
Frenchie-Loveday

My mother wore this and I adore it, its the most alluring perfume that was ever made. Its warm summer nights, heady, intense and sensual. Just wish I could find some, my house was burgled and the thieves stole my last bottle. Now its completely out of my purse range. They should bring it back again...in the shocking pink boxes....ecstasy in a bottle....

Conifer lover
Conifer lover

Strong just the way I like it. I tested this from a vintage mini I obtained in a swap. Gorgeous right from the beginning. I believe it's the warm honey that is making me love this but it could also be the soft jasmine. I don't really smell spice but this fragrance is warm and floral, not fruity to my nose. I really wish I could get a full sized bottle of this. I really love this scent!

muskymoi
muskymoi

(from a sample)

Gorgeous floral aldehydes but not like No. 5. Different and special, a little more innocent smelling than the all-knowing, all-powerful No. 5. Really would love a bottle of this beauty.

Bought myself a little decant of the EDC. Let's see how I fare with that before I go whole hog!

Update: well I now see how much EDC vs edp vs edt can matter in vintage perfumes. The Shocking EDC is so different from the edp sample I have that I would never even say they're related. For the record, the EDC is not for me.

fazalcheema
fazalcheema

fortunate to have both vintage pure parfum and eau de parfum...wearing eau de parfum today and i am a straight guy... it is one of the most beautiful feminine fragrances ever created...the best honey-musk combination i have ever smell in a fragrance...a Masterpiece..wish it had enjoyed the same historical glory as Chanel no. 5

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

Picked up two small bottles of the vintage EDP and boy! it lives up to its name +++. Very heavy on the civet, giving it that wonderful musty, cobwebby note, a true vintage, and yet it is somewhat tamed by the honey and narcissus. I don't pick up any clove, for which I am thankful. It lasts forever, even just one drop! IMO it is similar in character (BIG and BOLD) to Tabu & Rumba, and also has a vague resemblance to Agent Provocateur and Subtil, with their "musk stick"-like sweetness.

I'm thrilled to bits to have this (a blind buy)- 10/10.

LadyRogue
LadyRogue

It's Shocking how much I adore this perfume! It's like a lover that your mother warns you of "he's trouble!". Of course the more trouble she makes him out to be, the more you feel attracted to him. This perfume has that daring and so-over-the-top wonderful effect too.
It's a civet in a honey bomb! Now, don't walk away and be fooled by "too sweet" "too animalistic". No, no, no! It's all part of this perfumes plan to shock you! And when you dare to come closer, you'll fall for it! I guarantee that if you get acquainted with this smell, you won't listen anymore to your mother telling you it's Shocking. No, you'll be too busy enjoying the reward of the florals that hide deep within its powdery embrace. However! This perfume is not for everyone! It's a strong character and needs a woman that won't be afraid of it. Are you ready to be Shocked? ; )

Jinn
Jinn

I recently bought the vintage "potion" and I LOVE IT!
I adore animalistic scents, and I could smell the civet from beginning to end. While the flowers/chypre was very strong initially, on me it dried down to a delicious honey/civet and has stayed
that way. What an incredible, sensuous scent! Thanks for the recommendations, I just had to try it for myself and glad I did!

Scarlette
Scarlette

So good. So rich & unique. Very powdery-luscious-pin-up girl. The civet is not at all strong to me. Perfect, just like the honey. This perfume makes me feel very sexy.

Shocking was made for Mae West, and the bottle designed with her in mind...or so they say...

And as Mae was famously known to say, "I like two types of men...domestic and imported."

missylynn78
missylynn78

Shocking definitely lives up to its name! I have read about this one for awhile and finally got a vintage sample from TPC, and couldn't wait to try it. And it did not disappoint!! Very sensuous and not for the faint of heart (or nose!). A big mouthful (or noseful, I guess I should say!) of honey, accented by flowers. When I put it on this morning, I actually got honey with some incense, even though incense isn't listed in the notes. Might be the combination of the flowers and clove? I usually don't like civet, but in this, the honey balances it out nicely so it's not so strong. One of my new favorites!

jasmasid
jasmasid

Just received my decant of the vintage version of this, from The Perfumed Court. 2.5 ml was really all I could afford.
One small sniff took me right back to childhood when my mother used to wear the pure parfum of this when she went out for special occasions. Perfume and memory make a very, very strong partnership!
I can recommend the perfumed court for buying small samples of original fragrances just to get an idea of how they used to smell.

pippab
pippab

Shocking is IT! I discovered a tiny bottle of the vintage juice back in the 70s and it was unbelievably beautiful and unique. Then some years later I bought the re-orchestrated version and this is one bold hussy! It's one fragrance where I like the reformulation as much as the original.

I now have enough to last me until I'm in that big perfumery in the sky. I have two 100ml bottles - one with about two thirds of the juice remaining, an unopened back up bottle, and a 50ml bottle for my handbag. Yes, you're right - I love this stuff!

Shocking is a powerhouse and a little goes a long way. After only one application, I can still smell it wafting around me in the morning after a night out. It's my signature and I wish all perfumes would last this long on my skin!

junior halston
junior halston

This was a inspiration for Gaultier to produce his first womans fragrance both in composition and bottle design.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

I have a sample of the vintage EdT, which is amazingly strong and full-bodied, stronger than many EdPs. It starts out sweet, floral, and powdery, with a hint of aldehydes and a definite old-fashioned feel. It certainly isn’t the civet-bomb that I expected, although the civet is certainly there in the background, nor is there much in the way of spices. Instead, it’s the sort of scent that you expect to catch a whiff of still clinging to vintage clothing, abstract and perfume-y in the classic sense.

As it dries down, the floral aspect intensifies, producing a powerful narcissus-like scent, then narcissus plus jasmine. There’s plenty of sillage, and the scent lasts for 6 hours or more on skin. It’s really not a perfume I’d want to wear except for curiosity, but I’m glad I tried it.

Trinni
Trinni

I recently got a vintage bottle of Shocking and I couldn't wait to try it. It's old fashioned, reminds me of something my grandmother would wear but not in a bad way.

At first smell, it came on really strong but as it started to dry down, I got a baby powderish scent which was really nice. My daughter remarked, mom you smell like baby powder.

Not bad for $20 :-)

lialu

Got it! A privilege to try this scent. Very 30's, rather dry and dusty, as if it really had lay dormant for all those years. Sophisticted, best worn with designer clothes? ;-) Love it, but....for me parsonally a bit more sweetness would be perfect. Complex and looong staying. Classic. Honey-heavy.

lialu

I am waiting for a parcel from theperfumedcourt where, among others, this scent is. What fun!!! But folks, the BOTTLE!? Mustn't Jean Paul Gaultier been isnpired by this for his Le Classique et al?? Iäm sure of it. ;-)

The Fragrant Zebra
The Fragrant Zebra

This is a full on, classic beauty ! Not for the shy and reserved, more for the Femme Fatale. Certainly not for the meak and mild Fruity/Floral type. The fragrance on the market now is gorgeous, but if you enjoy it, then try and source some vintage juice...more Civet, more heady, and much more sexy.

jrjohnson1408
jrjohnson1408

Shocking is a heady fragrance with great sillage which radiates voluptousness and 1930's glamour. Very different from most modern scents and not to everyone's liking.

On me the honey is the dominate note and it remains through the drydown mingling with bergamot, spicy cloves and civet on the way. The florals appear only briefly.

This is a great fragrance which I wish was better known. Apply sparingly though: a little goes a long way!

"From 1937: Bergamot, Aldehydes, Tarragon, Narcissus, Honey, Rose, Clove, Civet, Chypre accord."

Heavy spices, a touch of honey and a load of civet. I dislike civet intensely, mostly for the way it's harvested, but this fades down to a lovely, intense incense. Too bad about the civet. I am reviewing the vintage variety of this fragrance.
UPDATE: Tried the new version. It starts as a jumble of sharp tarragon and citrus, followed closely by plastic jasmine. On dry down, it blends finally into a pleasant melange of floral candy spice. There are powdery notes that mellow the sweet edges, but in the very very end, it's all sweet powder with little dimension.

Shocking by Schiaparelli 4.19 out of 5 based on 125 ratings and 41 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Schiaparelli Shocking fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Schiaparelli Shocking, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Shocking by Schiaparelli. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Shocking by Schiaparelli represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.