Designers » R S » Oriental Floral « Groups

A La Nuit Serge Lutens for women and men
dislike

honey
A La Nuit Serge Lutens for women and men Pictures

A La Nuit is one of the better fragrances with jasmine in the centre of the composition, and by all means it deserves attention of those who love jasmine scent. Inspiration for this fragrance Serge Lutens brought from Egypt. Several variances of jasmine are combined in the composition: Indian, Egyptian and Moroccan. The jasmine blend is accompanied by green branches, honey, clove, benzoin, and musk. The composition starts with intensive jasmine notes, warmed and deepened by benzoin in the base. The base notes are surprising here because they are greener and lighter than the central notes, and thus they emphasize the spring-time floral character of this fragrance. The perfume was created by Christopher Sheldrake in 2000.

Honey Egyptian and Indian Jasmine Musk Benzoin Grenadine Green Notes Cloves

Jasmine Full
Jasmine
Nuda
Diamonds and Sapphires

A La Nuit Fragrance Reviews

no-fi
no-fi

Jasmine plays an important supporting role in some of my favourite floral scents. But in A La Nuit, it takes centre stage - and it delivers the performance of its career.

In A La Nuit, jasmine is not typecast as the indolic counterpart to its fruitier cousin, ylang yalng. Neither is it a narcotic angel whose sweetness is always overshadowed by its bolshy, rotten step-sister, tuberose. Here, jasmine stands alone in all its multifaceted glory. It is sweet, delicate, intoxicating, sap-green and waxy white. It's a stunning rendition that really showcases jasmine's depth and breadth.

Jasmine's supporting cast in A La Nuit consists of sweet honey, laundry-clean musk and a tiny drop of creamy oriental resins. It's a near-perfect accompaniment.

Overall, this isn't just the best jasmine scent I've smelled - it's the very best white floral I've tried, period. Blissful, transcendent, naughty and nice - it's a minor masterpiece.

SuzanneS
SuzanneS

A La Nuit
Two of the best Jasmine dominated frags on the market today is this one and niche house Sammarco's Alter.

A la nuit explodes out of the bottle with pure jasmine. Its honeyed benzoin base appear a bit later, but it is just a wonderful realistic jasmine soliflore at this price point.

I use it to layer and femme other frags like opium, and add interest to gourmand chocolate/patch frags. I wish lasting power was better. A seductive stunner that can be worn alone or with other frags.

HalfBaked
HalfBaked

KABOOM! A huge firework explosion of hyper-realistic beautiful narcotic jasmine!

Captures the green buds, creamy sap, sweet nectar and heady indoles, delivered courtesey of a huge suckerpunch to the senses.

Sadly, it's longevity is as fleeting as a firework too and it burns itself out in a few hours. But what a couple of hours!

gtabasso
gtabasso

a dry, herbal, synthetic, plastic white florl that smells of jasmine, lilly of the valley with maybe some gardenia; it is odd, sweet but not cloying, a bid medicinal

Jyrhara
Jyrhara

I agree with SuzySchnabel, this is all about jasmin. But A la nuit has the freshness I found lacking in another jasmin perfume I recently tried (Jasmin Kama by Rania J). The green notes here save the jasmin from being cloying, so even though I'm not a jasmin fan, I can enjoy my sample.

AlmalkiJeme

دار سيرج لوتنس.. خمسه نجوم
نسائي بالتأكيد

SuzySchnabel
SuzySchnabel

The best, natural jasmine I ever smelled ( together with a pure jasmine attar from India ) Love it, exactly what you desire if you are a jasmine lover, otherwise you should avoid it of course since this is all and only about jasmine, nothing less/more. A daytime jasmine, bright and transparant. My only critic is that it's all gone , no trace left , after just 4 hrs, while aspecting a 'bomb'. It's soft, translucid and hoped more lasting power. ( no idea why many find it strong and (too) lasting, guess they're not really jasmin lovers and quickly irritated smelling the tiniest molecule? Anyway, surely the best ( not tried yet Nasomatto Nuda ) jasmine around ( except my Indian).

canadianpetite
canadianpetite

What a huge jasmine! Top, middle and bottom jasmine - fresh and clear with tenacity. To the average sniffer, this will be too strong. It is gorgeous, just not for me.

One spray on me:
Sillage: a foot
Longevity: 2 hours at arms' length then waft here and there for the next two

Cassiano
Cassiano

A La Nuit arrived in the market in 2000 and its name means, in English, "A night". Serge Lutens compares its fragrance to a ladder with rungs of silk, in which the aroma exudes until it reaches the heaven to explode like fireworks.

A La Nuit has notes of white honey (considered one of the most valuable in the market, because of its sweet content, its purity and its color), benzoin, cloves, musk, green shoots and three types of Jasmine: Moroccan, Egyptian and Indian (also known as star Jasmine).

Obviously, this is a perfume dominated by jasmine. For this reason, is one of the few perfumes of the House that is classified as feminine. If you don't like fragrances with jasmine very present, so don't even think about meeting A La Nuit. However, even if it is the case, I'm sure you will admire the quality of this creation.

A La Nuit touches the skin showing all possible facets of jasmine. In the first phase of evolution, it is possible to feel the indolic jasmine, the sensual and the fruity, as well as the dirty jasmine, the carnal and the green. It's like diving into an absolute of jasmine that exhales with perfection. Then, about 2 hours after application, the floral aspect becomes calmer and you can notice nuances that are greener and vegetable, so to speak. I believe it is the smell of green shoots. At the same time, a slight sweetness lard the base of the fragrance and the musk also becomes more vivid.

At this stage, I find myself intrigued by the distinctive aroma and I wonder if I would have the courage to buy a bottle for my own use. So, the reason speaks louder than the emotion and I remember that A La Nuit is not a perfume made for men, according to Serge's option. It worths saying that, in addition to project very well, it also remained for more than 10 hours on my skin.

I can see several women wearing this perfume: the single, the engaged, the innocent, the naughty, the naive, the smart, the simple or the elegant. As well as all the nuances of jasmine were bottled in a fragrance, with A La Nuit all women can be one.

Adina Galani
Adina Galani

This is Godly beautiful! So beautiful it hurts! It touches so many strings in me I hardly was aware of, like a beautiful song which stayes in Your mind and drives U insane with its poisoning obsessive beauty. For me this is jasmine yes, but a bit more on the tuberose side, which is a plus. I keep reading about lasting power, my skin keeps it, and keeps it long and transforms it into a tuberose so real that I keep aching for more!

mirrorghost
mirrorghost

ahh the opening is that strong jasmine that reminds me of some jasmines from lush, but a little smoother. it's strong and true. jasmine can often go wrong on me, but i am loving this one in the opening. it's one of the most realistic jasmines i've ever smelled. a bit of greenery becomes apparent after being on the skin for awhile. the image that comes to mind is laying in the grass on a warm evening surrounded by jasmine bushes. mmm. the greenery gets stronger and balances with the jasmine after awhile-less heady, more leafy. i can't wait to try this in summer when the weather is warm, since it's winter now. i think then it'll be amazing.

Miss Picky
Miss Picky

The image of an orchestra always comes to mind when testing A La Nuit.

The very first few moments of the perfume are slightly cacophonous - the orchestra warming up. What you smell is an intensely natural interpretation of jasmine, of smelling jasmine in real life, the whole plant. There's the heady scent of the blossoms themselves, of course, and also their leaves, and maybe other leaves in the garden. There's the mildest hint of the minerally dirt they grow in. There are gusts of wind in this garden, all is not calm.

Very soon, the orchestra finds its note, and comes together: now we have the blossom proper, and how beautiful it is. Intoxicatingly rich, but somehow delicate as well.

At around the half-hour mark the orchestra adds (to my nose) a base note of perhaps ylang-ylang, or another yellow flower; this transforms the jasmine briefly into an almost-tropical gardenia accord. This stage is round and beautiful, but rather short-lived; the orchestra soon finds its original note again.

And this is the note it holds, unwavering, for HOURS. Now, it's a beautiful note, but imagine the terrible beauty of an orchestra holding one note. What started off as gorgeous and tranquil becomes, only by repetition, madness-inducing.

I get basically no development from A la Nuit, no warmth or melding with the skin. Just this persistent, too-real jasmine always hovering about me.

I think it's a work of art, but totally unwearable.

miss mills
miss mills

Oh boy. This is the best jasmine I have ever smelt! A massive hit of jasmine (and tiare?) which lasts all day. I was feeling blah this morning, sprayed this on and it was an instant pick me up and made me feel glam. Deep, sexy, floral glam. Love it. Thank you so much to Xrayer for the sample!
Addition to my first note - I have been resniffing the empty vial of this at intervals because it is SO beautiful. It reminds me of the garden out front of the little house where I grew up, of my grandmother and my mother - and of true first love, the love and the heartbreak sting. Addictively beautiful.

Musume
Musume

I feel heartbroken with this perfume. It's the purest, most beautiful, similar to the real thing jasmine perfume I've ever had the pleasure to smell, but, it doesn't last. At all. It's like falling in love with a incredibly attractive and funny man that you know in advance is gonna lose interest in you and break your heart. How unfair.

hedwiginberlin
hedwiginberlin

I loved the intense jasmine smell on the blotter, but on my skin it simply faded to almost nothing within an hour. I recommend to try this on your skin before buying it.

pallasathene8
pallasathene8

I usually love jasmine scents, but this one smells somehow medicinal on me. I find it very unpleasant. Kind of sickening.

Hedonista
Hedonista

My search is over for a daffodil perfume! I had no luck with any of the narcissus fragrances. They all smelled like cheap motel soap on me. Then I got A La Nuit as a very inexpensive blind buy and there it was. A big field of yellow daffodils on a coldish Spring day. There are no daffodils in the blend, but on me that's all there is until the dry down. Sadly it comes too soon.

My early Spring time morning is gone in about half an hour. Sillage is moderate. I have to recommend spraying some on your foundation garments to keep it alive for longer.

I will buy it again and again. When you've searched so long and then find something this perfect you don't mess around.

PerfumeEmpress
PerfumeEmpress

Jasmine in a bottle. Creamy, sultry, lovely. It smells just like the jasmine plant we had in our backyard, when I lived in South America. It's truly beautiful. However, I have the same problem that woodlandalk described: it smells powerful for 15 minutes then calms and fades to skin scent after 1 hour. Which to me means not very long-lasting. But it's a pleasure to reapply, so no prob. ;)

I love Serge Lutens.

Peachysugarbuns
Peachysugarbuns

If you could jump into Indian bazaar art/calendar art from the 1970's depicting Radha-Krishna in a garden, gazing into eachother's eyes, completely in love, the scene might smell like A La Nuit. Jasmine, though I know it comes in many forms and from many regions, "feels Indian" to me. A La Nuit is complex and deep, yet pure and understandable at the same time - like the love of Radha-Krishna.

While creamy jasmine is the dominant note in this composition, a subtle greenness reaches around the heart of A La Nuit with perfect timing, before everything feels too thick. A La Nuit gets a little "barnyard" on my skin, but I like pulling the anamalic notes here! Radha was a gopi (a cow-herding girl) and the anamalic notes further fuel the scene in my head of gopis amongst gentle cows and the divine love of Radha-Krishna.

This fragrance lacks projection after about an hour which would normally make me irritated, but with A La Nuit it seems fitting - like someone else is meant to get close to you to experience it. I'll reach for this on amourous nights when I am open to imagining, experiencing and immersing myself in love, love, love.

rostov14
rostov14

Absolutely agree with a previous review that A LA Nuit, SL is reminiscent of Beige, Chanel- the same sweet, fresh, spicy, honey, white floral vibes.
But if Beige is a jazz, A La Nuit is a saxophone solo of this jazz mine.
If you like the note, you'll definitely enjoy the whole performance.
Splendid jasmine! Sparkling, tingling, teasing, transparent and musky
You feel like being immersed in a plant world with just a slight hint of trees and leaves here. No fauna. No predators, no danger, no darkness. Only flora is blooming and the spring is blossoming; the nectar of Life is accumulating..
Even for me, such a lover of animalic and balsamic notes, this flowery scent is a sheer infusion of optimism and luminosity. Simply Chic!
When I wear this beauty, I wear a happy outlook on life.
"I'm not fixing things.I'm living with a joy in knowing that things can be fixed."
And I love jazz, indeed!

Edit: I wish this perfume had more lasting power and sillage, but my husband is of a different opinion, as he always smells this scent on me far longer than I do so myself !?
LA Nuit drydown is on the upbeat: nipping, crispy-fresh and bitterly green, -reminds me, somehow, of Pleasures, Estee Lauder. Pleasure to die for!

lilalina
lilalina

Lovely floral. Very classic. Sweet, beautiful soft feminine scent. Slight soapy and clean vibe. Reminds me a bit of Chanel's Beige.

naomin
naomin

This is pleasant! Very different to the other jasmine scents I've been sniffing lately. This is lighter and more floral, not as indolic as many others. Kind of reminds me of lilacs just a bit. I can smell the honey a little, but not much, and really nothing else. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to last long.

TillyWave
TillyWave

A strong white floral, with a hint of green and woods, A La Nuit blooms on your skin in a sweet haze of white jasmines, a touch of greens, a hint of what I take to be narcissus, all sweetened with a drop of honey. The jasmine is full but polite, it is not skanky or indolic, it just reminds me of fresh blooms saturated with scent, in a squeaky clean universe where flowers would never dare smell earthy or dirty like the soil they sprang from.

My big problem with A la Nuit, and I don't know why I'm the only one mentioning this, is the staying power. Sure, in the first hour things are beautiful, but this perfume really starts to sputter out on me rather fast, and by two hours in I am down to a skin scent. Four hours in I am left with but a faint musk drydown that I have to bury my nose against to detect. So that kind of ruins it for me.

My review ends here, but I must digress a little. Today I used a coconut-scented shampoo to wash my hair with, and that scent stayed with me ALL DAY. WHY DOES THE PERFUME IN MY $5 SHAMPOO LAST LONGER THAN MY $75 PERFUMES??!?!

There are some perfumes that I'm okay with a short life, some colognes, some bright summer citrus perfumes, a few 'natural' niche houses (like Annick Goutal, but even with them I'm starting to run out of patience.) Generally though I am tired of my perfumes crapping out on me after an hour or two. Am I the only one?

kateapple
kateapple

This is realistic jasmine a hundred times over. Soapy, fresh, green, and soft. I don't detect any other notes in this one, just a strong but gentle jasmine. If you stuck your nose straight into a jasmine flower, this is what you would smell.

angelsandanvils
angelsandanvils

A beautiful woman with long curly blonde hair wearing a white gauzy dress. She lives in an enchanted garden and writes poetry up in the willow trees. However, she's awfully hard to catch and disappears without a trace within an hour. You love her, but the frustration isn't worth it.

Julie Billi
Julie Billi

This is my second perfume from SL brand, after my signature Fleurs d' Oranger!
The opening is a bit strong with the honey dominating a lot the pefume. But, after some minutes the jasmine rules together with a fresh green note that makes the perfume freshly flowery! I love soliflores so this is a keeper! Beautiful perfume for all Jasmine flowers.
It does not stay long, so I need to reaply, but I get many compliments!

Edit: Had to give it away....it created me very bad headaches :(

daisyvision
daisyvision

I decided to try A La Nuit after reading various blogs and articles about Indolic perfumes. The name kept popping up and it piqued my curiosity since, though I've probably smelled indolic scents, I'm not sure I could identify which ones are or aren't. So, I bought a sample based on the name alone, without even knowing what was in this. I assumed it was either jasmine or other white florals of some kind - I just wanted to see what made this different from other white florals. If it truly was 'dirty' or 'fecal'...

Right off the bat, it's a very powerful scent. A sweet and smoky burst of jasmine, accompanied by pleasant green notes. I'm still not sure I understand indoles, but what I do get out of A La Nuit is a very believable, deep floral experience. It's like sniffing actual jasmine in a dewy, grassy field. But those green, grassy notes quickly dissipate and it develops into something much sultrier.

Whew, there's that smoke again! I can tell it's the cloves causing the back of my throat to tingle, because it's exactly the same sensation as being around second-hand smoke from clove cigarettes. (Which luckily reminds me of my late teens, hanging around in clovey smoke-filled concert venues). That smoky quality also dies down a little bit, and leaves just a lingering trail of smoke and spice, like an incense stick burning out. Ahh...

If this indeed features indoles, fear not - this isn't fecal at all. Is it 'dirty'? Well, maybe in the way that soil can have a rich, pleasing earthy scent. Also worth noting - various types of African/Indian jasmine were used in this composition, and it shows. It's absolutely exotic and fascinating.

Thesheppardswife
Thesheppardswife

Yes indeed, there is some jasmine here, and yet......
Very linear for me. I am fond of the white flowers so this is an easy scent to like. I am really enjoying my sample and a little goes a long way, so it will last a long time
Having said that, I feel that something is missing to make this frag complete. Would I purchase a FB, no.

Edit November

I think I might get a better reading of this frag if I apply a spray from a bottle rather than dabbing from a sample.

This is the first jasmine in my quest for the perfect jasmine scent.

Edit, 2016. Still the best jasmine that I have found, so far.

chrisndema
chrisndema

Wow this fragrance is so addictive, i don't know what to say. The jasmine is a real live blooming bush in the garden just after sunset and the aroma is intoxicating. Its has a slightly sweet edge coz of the honey and the cloves stops it going over board. There is also a tenderness and mystery about it It's just poetic i don't know how to describe it...but i think i have found my signature scent.!!! Actually this is how i would describe this fragrance......

Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer’s lease hath all too short a date;

AveParfum
AveParfum

On the hunt for my perfect jasmine, I sampled A La Nuit. It smells very much like Montale's Jasmin Full. Both perfumes really pay homage to the jasmine flower. However, I will add that both perfumes contain a slightly bitter, stale soap scent about them that is unpleasant. Where this quality starts out strong in Montale's perfume yet ultimately disappears entirely, it is not so strong in A La Nuit, but it never quite goes away. For this reason, I prefer Jasmin Full.

Edited to add: I own La Religieuse, and while I do not like the top notes, the drydown is really beautiful. The jasmine in the drydown is sweeter and more tender than in A La Nuit. A La Nuit is jasmine in full bloom. La Religieuse is the delicate little buds.

Pepperflower
Pepperflower

I was at a Shiseido counter and the sales assistant relentlessly kept trying to sell me a red lipstick, I am not a red lipstick person! She gave up, and showed me Serge Lutens A La Nuit and said "this is red lipstick in a perfume". She gave me several samples of this to try. This is not just red lipstick in a bottle but pure Lust! Stark and overbearing jasmine that is animalistic and sweet. You check into Jasmines brothel and never check out! There is honey in this but thank goodness its just enough and balanced with a bit of green and freshness.

A small memory from jasmine and I: There was a hipster scene bar in the middle of the city where I used to live, the kind of bar where people smoke strange things, drinking micro brew beer, art work everywhere, bands playing... it was really "cool" but how I found this place is because the whole wall/fence that was hiding this bar was completely covered in jasmine and left a huge trail of it's scent in the area. A friend and I were walking to another bar and next thing we know "Wow, what is that smell?! Where is that coming from?!" we instead followed the jasmine scent to find this scene bar. It was fun to have some Wiccan girl describe me her soul, the universe, and a hot guy in tattoos and piercings flirting with me. True story! The bar has been renamed many times but always kept that jasmine covered wall. A La Nuit reminds me of that time and smells like realistic fresh jasmine, leaving a solid trail of flowers for you to trip and fall headfirst into its pungent heart.

This has got to be my favorite jasmine perfume. Unforgettable. A must have for jasmine lovers!

Marie76
Marie76

Sweet sweet sweet jasmine. Incidentally my favourite note, so I'm a clear fan of this, but it lacks what could have been done with and to jasmine by lutens....it could have been dirtied, made greener, it could have been lifted into brightness or deepened into sexy nuances...in " a la nuit" it sits pretty and sweet, with medium sillage and staying power, but doesn't quite develop into anything as misterious as the fragrance name implies.

sleepy*weasel
sleepy*weasel

Fantastic…. A burst of clear jasmine ringing like a bell, after a few minutes settling into one of the best jasmine scents in existence, very green, very fresh. Mine lasted 4 hours at least and I can still smell faint honey. It is delicious. I don’t see why women shouldn’t smell of a perfect flower if they want to; certainly it cheered me up and other people loved it too. The Perfume Guide is just a Guide - I would take this over Angel or Calyx, any day. Sorry, Luca. I love it. :)

RosieRachel
RosieRachel

Bottled romance. A la Nuit is sensual, feminine, poetic and intoxicating, and reminds me of something that I'd wear on a balmy summer's evening or to a ballet concert. This scent dances on my skin, with the jasmine floral slowly fading into a creamy honey before it disappears. I am in love!

Scrilla
Scrilla

When I looked to my left I noticed a jasmine shrub into the night. Jasmine. Beautiful, fresh jasmine was in bloom and wafted over my eyes. I didn't have to open them to see the stars. Moving slowly the warm breeze fell over me like midnight meringue.

In the morning I shivered and pulled the sheet tighter over my body. I went to close the balcony door when I saw the jasmine flowers were bowing their heads. They left their guard and I took up mine.

nero77
nero77

A Narcotic, Night Blooming Jasmine...

Serge Lutens A la Nuit is a truly beautiful and authentic smelling jasmine composition. It contains three different types of Jasmine (Moroccan, Indian & Egyptian), as well as honey and green notes.

It evokes very well the natural smell of Jasmine at night. If you've ever been in a hot or warm climate, like the mediterranean or middle east or in asia, and smelled Jasmine growing in long green vines along a wall or in a garden, this is it. A la Nuit is a Jasmine lovers dream.

For me this Jasmine is a beautifully composed, wonderfully authentic smell of natural Jasmine flowers, with a soothing and calming effect. It can be a little too much if you do not like Jasmine as much as I do, but I think this Jasmine is tame enough to appeal to most people. It has a "green" quality and is surrounded by notes which slightly soften the intensity of the heavy, indolic Jasmine. The green leaves, honey & musk give the impression that you are in a tropical forest, drenched in a soft glow of moonlight, with a cool wind cutting through the tropical, humid air. I find it green, refreshing, and most of all... wearable. If you want a full, authentic Jasmine experience, this is a good place to start.

gpesav
gpesav

There is something so beautiful and pure about jasmine. My mom has always worn jasmine which is why I think I have such a fondness for it. Upon first spray it's quite heavy and a bit headache inducing for the first 10 minutes or so. The dry down is soft and close to the skin. This smells kind of similar to the perfume by Jennifer Aniston. I hate to say, but, it smells a little too mature for my taste. I also can't justify spending so much on a fragrance that simply doesn't last (Literally a half hour then POOF! it's gone!). Pretty, but, I'll pass.

aokiwen
aokiwen

exactly the way i remember jasmine,and how incredible SL can catch the entire scent from the flower not only i smell blossoms but with petals, leaves and even stems. So fresh!

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on a decant. I don't have a trained nose but on my skin I get mainly beautiful jasmine with a green undertone. With that said, I'm actually a little disappointed as I was expecting indolic jasmine. I get moderate projection and good longevity on my skin.

Lana148
Lana148

What a beautiful jasmine scent! This jasmine feels like cashmere. It is so smooth and warm and cozy. Probably one of the nicest jasmine scents I've ever tried. Very well done!

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

A La Nuit is exactly what I suspected it might be: a beautiful jasmine soliflore--graceful and clean. Luminous with fragrant jasmine petals and barely a touch of natural indole, just as you might find on a jasmine bush prolific with newly opened blossoms.

However full-featured the flower's fragrance is, it does not present much in the way of a deep sensual aura on my skin a' la Nuda by Nasomatto. Somehow I find that although beautifully accented with complementary notes, it tempers the true essence of the jasmine flower.

With or without carnal intentions, A La Nuit remains a well rounded quality jasmine perfume blended delicately with greens, honey and cloves. A La Nuit is more wearable than most jasmine fragrances as the supporting notes cleanly cut through the typical headiness while still being potently floral.

Where Christopher Sheldrake masterfully harnesses the beauty of jasmine, she is still captive in her ivory tower.

Personally, I prefer Alessandro Gualtieri's interpretation. In Nuda, he is obviously very intimate with this blossom and lets her run beautifully wild with her aphrodisiacal power. Where A La Nuit is jasmine, Nuda is jasmine intense.

moodypaws
moodypaws

I feel I have to counterpoint the previous review and its emphasis on a cumin note. We all smell differently, so here's my experience.
I wish I could detect any cumin in this fragrance, or any hint of animalics for that matter, but instead, to my nose it's nothing more and nothing less than a glorious photo-realistic jasmine with a slightly sweet base.
I personally try to sneak cumin in in all my blends, and adore the perfumes where it's used generously, as in Vero Kern's Rubj edp, but I understand some people associate it with lack of hygiene rather than raunchy encounters.
However, please don't be put off from sampling this beauty as I believe cumin is non-existent here.

zosoroxy
zosoroxy

Soooo... Now I know, what night-blooming Jasmine is! A la Nuit has been a great education in perfumery for me :-D

I had long ago written off the entire Lutens line, based upon an incredibly generous, much appreciated, free sampling of ~ 30 SL perfumed wax domes, provided direct by the House itself- Nearly all of which seemed heavily laden w/ Cumin, Pot, Cigarettes / Beer-spilled Ashtray, Cigar Tobacco, Leather Jackets, Stale Bong water, Patchouli, Smoke, anything & everything that smells either very masculine, &/or like an 80's head shop- I know for sure, I spent time a-plenty in such stores, during teen years of late / endless multi nights/days/ into next night partying... Someone always ended up spilling the stale bong water- an odour one never forgets. To be clear, though: None of the above is present in A la Nuit!

Based on glowing reviews, & seeing A la Nuit on sale @ FragranceNet, I blind-bought a bottle. The reviews are all true- The Jasmine is GLORIOUS! What Diorissimo is to LotV, A la Nuit is to Jasmine.

One caveat: The blend contains just the itsy-bitsy-est amount of stanky, cursed Cumin! Or, is it possible that this is what's meant by "indolic"? Rank Stank. Is that the "animalic" component? I HATE that note. It's quiet (and brief) enough, and the Jasmine is so sublimely supreme, that most won't be bothered by it- In fact, no other reviews detect it at all :) I suspect a personal hyper-sensitivity, to even the slightest inclusion of cumin, in any perfume blend. (Or, again, perhaps it's the indoles that I'm overly sensitive to?) In fact, this entire review is conditional upon my inexperience! idk the diff. between Cumin vs. Indoles :)

This reference Jasmine standard, by which all others are judged, is otherwise, absolutely sparkling w/ head-turning, intense, fresh soliflore femininity!

Price was a concern; However, performance = Extrait (vs. EdP), so value/ml. soars- This is *potent* juice! I've learned to dab very sparingly (vs. lavishly spray)... Too much of this immensely intense 'fume left me suffocating in my own wake, especially during exercise. Although I usually prefer the speed & convenience of a spray perfume, the amount dispensed via a single spray, (? perhaps 1/4 ml. ?) is more than enough to scent my entire body 24+ hours.

Monster sillage & longevity. Thankfully, SL packages this w/ both an atomizer & a splash/dab-on (screw on) cap- Owner's choice :) Beware risk of over-application. POTENT!

Aesthetic: Bottle's slender simplicity is elegant on my vanity (although I'd prefer gold color accents over the smoky pewter/grey/ bronzed colored cap & ink printed label.)

Apologies for my departure (dissent) from the well-earned, artfully articulated, skillfully written rave reviews... Lovely though this straight up Jasmine is, personally, I find this to be just *too much*. From A la Nuit, I've learned that I prefer my white soliflore(s) to be cut/juxtaposed w/ woods, earthy/moss, greenery, spices, honey, etc. I'll enjoy this bottle, but I returned a 2nd (unopened) back-up bottle, & won't re-purchase.

I wholeheartedly agree w/ (above) moodypaws review & enthusiastic recommendation : DO try! At any rate, I caution against blind buy, due to intensity of the Jasmine- try before you buy. In NE Continental U.S., I'm happy to send out a few 1 ml Samples ($5 / incl. Shipping), pls. pm me if interested.
Apparently, straight up Jasmine simply doesn't suit me.

PS: "Sarassins" is SL's "other Jasmine" (less indolic, softened, blended Jasmine- Yet still a powerhouse in itself): Another DO try! (Unisex).

ShellBelle
ShellBelle

This is my first Serge to sample and I fell instantly in love with it! Gorgeous blend of jasmine and honey. It is so soft, creamy, and airy. If money were no object, I would hit the buy button today!

darksome
darksome

If Lush Lust is the loud, dark, sweet, naughty, carnal, fleshy, creamy, indolic jasmine, A La Nuit is the exact opposite of it; a calm, bright, sweet, nice, gentle, airy, creamy, radiant, soft, real blooming jasmine.

I gave mine away because I like my jasmine scents more dirty, but it's definitely a very good scent, maybe even a blind buy if you are sure you want a true, non-indolic, very realistic jasmine scent and nothing more.

windhill
windhill

Jasmine garland in a bottle. Pure, natural and exotic. A La Nuit and Olene by Diptyque are my fav realistic jasmine fragrances. They're really similar to my nose. Olene has more complexity on greenish and floral while A La Nuit sweeter and heavier but also more concentrate jasmine solifore.

It does smelled like lively, alive dewy jasmine but can be cloying(and too indolic) if you're putting it too much. Aside from jasmine, green bud and honey I cannot detect any other notes at all. Projection quite heavy but not last long. Only 3-4hours on me and completely disappear.

Recommend to all jasmine lover. You'll be surprise by how real jasmine is in A La Nuit.

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

A very clear and sparkling jasmine that is uplifting and true to the essential oil. In fact it reminds me of this Egyptian Jasmine I brought back from Cairo for my girlfriend many years ago.

There is also a hint of green making the jasmine smell fresh like it's just been plucked from a bush. Great if you love your jasmine straight up without other notes. But may be lacking if you expect more complexity from your fragrance.

Great jasmine though!

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

I'm enjoying something of a jasmine-fest this evening - wearing A la Nuit and in another room burning a beautiful Indian jasmine incense.
(Thanks to @Galya for generous decant!)

Reading the reviews and comparisons between A La Nuit and Sarassins it's obvious that one of the dividers is indolic jasmine - i.e fecal notes. I have absolutely no issue with fecal notes in A La Nuit because they seem to be there, naturally, but haven't been ramped up deliberately, which usually annoys me because it stands out as fake (I've used pure absolute of jasmine as bath oil and A La Nuit feels very authentic)

I can see why people would prefer Sarassins to A La Nuit in as much as Sarassins is more complex. But this evening I'm just enjoying jasmine. A La Nuit reminds me a little of my very first perfume, when I was about 13, which was the Body Shop's Jasmine.

It's simple in that sense, but A La Nuit has much more depth. And yes, you could buy a very high quality jasmine absolute, but that would set you back about as much as the perfume!

What Lutens seems to have done is add a fruity note which (reminds me of pear-drops at first, a bit like acetone) which combined with Jasmine's natural banana/green quality makes this really project an aroma (as Jasmine flowers do in real life). The fruit and clove notes also cut through and lift jasmine's viscous heavy quality (it's viscous and heavy in absolute). The dry down seems to suddenly drop off after two hours into a mild benzoin/jasmine skin scent, though it lingers longer on clothes

Indole notes have been compared to a horse-sweat smell,and I spent many a day in my youth brushing down sweaty horses and ponies while working in horse stables - maybe that's where my tolerance for sweaty perfume notes stems from!

The upshot is, I love jasmine, and will happily wear this on sunnier days, or perhaps layered with other perfumes.

Sillage (on my skin anyway) - powerful for 15 minutes then calms and fades to skin scnt after 1 hour.
Longevity - around three hours but lingers longer on clothes

Contessa01
Contessa01

A beautiful jasmine fragrance, remindes me of the now discontinued Nassamota Nuda. If you love your heady jasmine you'll love it.

rum
rum

The scent of Jasmine is alluring enough as it is, but the flower gardens in my native Cyprus just OOZE of Jasmine after dark. The baking hot sunshine that radiates on the flowers during the day causes the aroma to be released ten fold at night, in my opinion.
This is my first Serge and Lutens fragrance and is quite an amazing one. You don't need a lot, as the scent is quite concentrated as it is. Just a spritz and you can expect it to last all day. This scent amazes me by how "close" to the real thing it really is. I feel like I have my face buried in a flower bed of jasmine plants when this is down to the heart notes.

asher.jessie
asher.jessie

I'm not the biggest jasmine fan in the world, but I wanted to love it. So I got a sample of this from my friend that runs an indie fragrance boutique in my city. It smelled amazing on the tester strips, and I was dearly hoping that it'd smell just as amazing on my skin..my skin loves to KILL jasmine, making me smell like mothballs and litter boxes.

This was way worse...my skin just cannot pull off jasmine, aside from Thierry Mugler's Alien or my Jasmine oil.

A La Nuit smelled almost exactly like coppertone sunscreen...and it lasted several hours, so this wasn't a great experience at all.

With a sigh, I guess it's time to throw in the towel in terms of finding a new jasmine fragrance.

LordD
LordD

The most realistic jasmine I've smelled in a perfume. A bit green at first, but then it's just jasmine, and it's perfect.

It is a real pity it's got such week lasting power, especially considering the price.

iahe
iahe

Such a joyous scent! The jasmine is almost aggressive in its intensity and yet it remains both luminous and sunny.

For me A la Nuit is a perfume for winter mornings when the sun doesn't seem to rise at all. I surround myself with the summer it conjures up before stepping out of the front door in the morning, and I actually smile through the slate and the blizzards in wintry Finland.

When the first cloud of jasmine petals has retreated the sillage becomes moderate and if applied with some restriction I find that A la Nuit is actually an excellent scent for the office.

And how it glitters and glimmers in the dark of winter!

Michelina
Michelina

Dark, delicate jasmine and moody musk. Very pretty, and a bit enigmatic; a fragile floral with a projective punch (apologies for all the alliteration, can’t help myself). Assuredly feminine, though not what I would call sexy, rather, seductive in a reserved (work/every day appropriate) adore me from afar kind of way. There is, however, a playful undercurrent to it that keeps it fresh, alive, and anything but flat-out funereal…the dreaded fate of many a darkish floral.

I’ve read that some people have problems with the longevity on this one but I have to say that I sprayed it on in the morning (2 quick spritzes) and it was still floating happily about me when getting back into bed that night. Gotta admire its tenacity.

christianne1
christianne1

THIS....is a jasmine bomb. If you like jasmine you will probably flip over backwards and hurt yourself when you smell this. I am not a jasmine fan but I appreciate quality and this is a high quality jasmine fragrance. It is very realistic and you get a full on dose of it. The other notes take a total and complete backseat to this. This is all about the jasmine and nothing but the jasmine. It isn't my thing but it is very well done.

scissorshand_j
scissorshand_j

the best jasmin i've ever tried!

Antares811
Antares811

Best jasmine scent ever. A bit too strong, almost medicinal, in the opening, then it turns wonderful.

drouhin
drouhin

A muddled, almost "grimy" opening on my skin turns to a pleasant if very short-lived jasmine soliflore. Won't be a repeat buy for me.

Floreat
Floreat

This is a must try for Jasmine lovers. I agree with Vie Cafe that it is almost an exact replica of the essential oil I have. It opens as a true jasmine bomb - so much so that you might wonder if you applied a bit too much. But after it swirls around and teases you a bit with its exuberance, it settles into its sensual nature. The greens play hide and seek with the honey and that chocolatey essence that benzoin imparts (at least to my nose),and the whole experience is quite delightful and a bit spritely!

I must tell you. Early this evening I took a bath, moisturized my skin with jojoba oil and applied Al la Nuit. I went to the market and encountered two men who remarked on how "pretty" I was. I tell you, it was A la Nuit - that, and perhaps the Spring twilight! Magical combination. Do try if you appreciate jasmine.

guest_Vie Cafe
guest_Vie Cafe

This is an extremely well done jasmine "soliflore"... in fact it smells so similar to the real thing that one could wonder why one would wear this instead of the jasmine essential oil @10% dilution (in jojoba oil).

My answer?: the playful greenish note that keeps peaking out from underneath the jasmine, and makes it smell like jasmine flowers AND little crushed green leaves with a touch of sweet grenadine. I'm not a fan of a clean strong jasmine scent and wouldn't wear this for a whole day, but this is wonderful. The grenadine is a nice touch. Could be a jasmine lover's Holy Grail or signature, I think.

It gets muskier and sweeter as the jasmine note dries down, so not just a pure jasmine "in your face" type thing... more complex and that's a good thing.

When I smell this, I am reminded of the style of Chantecaille which also make very lovely "true to nature" florals, in the likes of "petales", "tiare" or "frangipane"... and also L'artisan "la chasse aux papillons" or Diptyque's "Do Son". All very beautiful, but are not for a Tomboy like me to wear!

LeisaSch
LeisaSch

I agree with the comment that this is a gourmand white floral fragrance. Dewy and a bit green - naturally sweet jasmine made richer by a distinct honey note. It develops quite beautifully, with a musky/powdery dry down on my skin. Don't notice much clove (phew) or benzoin. This is quite lovely! Hubby likes it too!

bebekesasar
bebekesasar

From the wax sample
I smell clear jasmine all the way, maybe because the sample doesn't last. It is kinda like jasmine tea. I've been looking for this kind of fragrance since I miss the Jasmine sambac from the backyard scent. Very enjoyable and beautiful.

emilyjean
emilyjean

I swear I smell lilac in the opening phrases of this. Beautiful lilac, though. Very true to life.

Fragrantlife
Fragrantlife

I spritzed à la nuit when I was at Ogilvie's in Montreal. After 10 minutes, it had settled into a powerful yet soft jasmine smell. A little bit of green, a little bit of sweetness. A lot of happiness. A perfect spring and summer scent. I was enthralled.

So I bought it online and today, I decided to try it again. Same sharp and pungent opening of concentrated jasmine juice. Same drydown into a softer, almost soliflore, jasmine cloud, with a hint of green. But... I also smell something else... Like a faint suggestion of sweet rotting meat. Not sure I like this part.

As an aside, à la nuit reminds me of the original Lumière de Rochas that my sister used to wear back in the early '90s. From memory, Lumière is more translucent with a touch of an oriental base. If not sister, they are first degree cousins.

kabelaced
kabelaced

For some reason I can't add that this stuff smells super similar to another jasmine perfume I own, Demeter Fragrance Jasmine. At first spray I get a punch of jasmine, which I like. Cool, calming jasmine flowers, and I can't really smell anything else - whatever else is in this is understated next to the power of the jasmine.

Was looking for a bit more depth than this, but I will wear Demeter Jasmine and this fragrance side by side on another trial and see which lasts longer.

Maggie_Everk123
Maggie_Everk123

You can really smell the blend of the sweet accords of green branches and honey.

cloudberry
cloudberry

Wearing Serge Lutens A La Nuit is part of my search for a jasmine perfume that will enchant my husband, a jasmine fan, while allowing me to enjoy it as well.

When I first dabbed it on it was so very pretty. I felt transported to a rain-dampened garden redolent of tuberose, gardenia and jasmine. Very lovely, light-spirited and sexy. My husband loved it, and it didn't overwhelm me with some of the white flower notes at the top. It made me feel sophisticated, feminine and soft.

Sadly for me, it dried down to almost nothing within two hours, and for me the sillage was negligible. Definitely a perfume to enjoy up close, and when it doesn't need to last long. Next time I try it, it will be right before I slip on some silky lingerie and slide into bed next to my handsome man.

Enjoy it, though. It's an ephemeral beauty!

Kiera79
Kiera79

This is one of my new all time favorites! I bought a small sample and fell in love with the fresh and slightly sweet jasmine fragrance that smells almost exactly like the jasmine bushes around my house. Oddly, when I purchased the full bottle it was a slightly more green scent at first, but still wonderful and FULL of jasmine in the dry down. The honey undertone is not sugary, but just enough to conjure the fragrance of pollen.

This is such a true to life scent that whenever I wear this I am immediately transported to a spring night, walking down a street lined with jasmine flowers. I cannot say enough good things about this, it is truly beautiful :)

wallywinthrop
wallywinthrop

If Athenais de Montespan wore perfume (well, she most certainly did - that is to say, if she were alive to wear it in THIS century), it would be A La Nuit. This is a lush, *sweet*, slightly indolic jasmine blend. Jasmine. JAAAASMINE. Did I mention there is jasmine in it? It is STRONG and will take your breath away. I am one of the strongest consummate jasmine lovers of all time, so this was immediately a hit with me. Others may not like the slight indoles of the topnote or the fact that, yes, the drydown is far more gentle and subdued than you would imagine. But the drydown is lovely in that it disguises itself as your natural scent - it comes out of the pores, almost. This fragrance is beautiful both in winter and summer, to evoke dreams of Baroque lushness in the cold and to bloom in humid heat.

I feel rather more jasmine in Fleurs d'Oranger rather than in this fragrance. So I prefer it to A La Nuit.

I can't say that I like this fragrance and can't agree that it smells jasmine too much.

antfarm
antfarm

Lovely initial jasmine aroma transforming hellishly within fifteen minutes into the scent of a neglected closet full of mothballs and clothes covered in plastic. Skin chemistry be damned.

Cynicalwish
Cynicalwish

it's truly beautiful, the opening vividly brought to my mind summer nights, under a patio with jasmine plants in blossom. then it becomes softer and greener.
and suddendly disappears.
I wore it from a sample, lasted on my skin not even two hours.
such a shame, if only this beauty was more long lasting, then I might consider spending so much money for it.

rinz09
rinz09

The most sophisticated jasmine fragrance ever! It's so beautiful. It smells like a bush of jasmine on a cool summer night. It's soft, lovely, and warm on my skin. I feel luxurious when I wear it. Definitely give this fragrance a try if you love jasmine!

Edit: I layered this with Tam Dao. I literally went "Ahhhhhhhh" it was so lovely. The sandalwood and the jasmine blend so beautifully!

Jayela
Jayela

And the projection?? It s really that little??

pantorini
pantorini

I was expecting jasmine, but all I experienced was a punch of tuberose, which I detest. Strange.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

Pure beautiful seductive jasmine, dries down with a honey and slightly spicy note. Just beautiful. Very delicate and lovely fragrance. Not your typical in your face Lutens at all. I love the softness of this one.

MsNora
MsNora

Not for me. The jasmine is an overwhelming and beautiful slap in the face. Actually, it's exactly like a slap in the face for me. The fragrance comes on fast and strong and then is almost immediately gone. The jasmine is beautiful and very strong in a way I've only even experienced in a rose fragrance. I did not notice any other notes besides jasmine. I would say that it probably lasted an hour on me and was completely gone after that. No trace of it on my skin. It was interesting to try but not enough for me to try an entire bottle. If I want to smell of jasmine and only jasmine I could pick up an oil for less. It would most likely smell the same and I would be guaranteed a longer lasting scent.

Jasmine is a beautiful, seductive, and mysterious flower--let's face it. Jasmine serves as the floral centerpiece of many a perfume because it also blends so well with just about everything else--even purple goo, as in the case of Thierry Mugler ALIEN. In this case, Serge Lutens A LA NUIT is a jasmine soliflore with a bit of a twist, whose name is "clove".

The opening of A LA NUIT evoked immediate memories of a recent wearing of Molinard JASMIN, which I do believe may be my favorite soliflore--of any flower, not just jasmine--of all time. Both are strong, creamy, slightly dark--night-blooming!--and breathtakingly beautiful. Both smell very natural to my nose, and I suspect that both compositions do showcase the real thing, not hedione or some other synthetic substitute.

The difference between the Molinard and Le Grand Serge jasmine soliflore becomes more and more obvious as A LA NUIT dries down. A clove note not initially obvious to my nose begins to make its presence known until the point where I feel that clove has almost taken over the star role of this perfume. However, I am *very* sensitive to clove, so I'd encourage all jasmine lovers to try this perfume on for size, as it may well be your jasmine dream come true. Mine remains the Molinard soliflore.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

Unadulterated indolic jasmine. With a drop of honey in it it makes me think of that one drop you add to warm milk before bed, which doesn't really change it only makes it better and in this case enhances the authenticity of the flower. Quite an animalic one though, I would reserve this for evenings. One of the best jasmine scents I've tried.

la_clope
la_clope

Beautiful, gauzy, languid, dreamy, it's THE jasmine to wear at night. Feels like you bury your nose in a dewy jasmine bush at a beautiful summer midnight garden.
On me it's sheer, not strong at all, i have to need at least 5 good sprays in order to enjoy the scent fully.
it's a true jasmine, structure is very linear and simple but it is not boring at all.
I think I love her sinister sister Sarrasins more.

Jellybean
Jellybean

What a lovely jasmine scent:) beyond fresh, pure, clean, soft, feminine.....
Jasmine and grenadine are a perfect match.
All I want to say is thumbs up and Yummzza for this one!

Ambrosia8
Ambrosia8

I looove the duo Lutens-Sheldrake, they create such incredible gems! And jasmine is one of my top favorite notes. So i was expecting to fall head over heel for À la nuit... not quite though. I tried it numerous times, at every new test telling myself I just had to ease into this intoxicating jasmine (my favorite kind!!!).

The start is great with its squeaky, neon green jasmine that yells HERE I AM!!! I like the lily of the valley that appears next (vaguely similar to diorissimo for a minute), combined with the oily, dense jasmine scent, it is quite interesting. Jasmine, when used in such a heady way, often has a faint exhaust fumes smell that gives a nice edge to the overall scent. So far, so good.

But after about 30 minutes, the magic is gone. A dissonant overripe banana note appears, and it just won't go away... It is by no means overwhelming, and i hoped i would just be able to ignore it, but no such luck. Sadly, that ruins it for me.

HUEbris
HUEbris

It's smells like a toilet aromatic...
white flower with a bloody smell
I was shocked when I test it.

delilahcat
delilahcat

So far my favourite Serge Lutens fragrance! I sometimes find SG's scents to be perfect on paper but all wrong when you actually smell it, on my skin they tend to be overpowering and to musky. Much to my suprise this was not the case with A La Nuit. I orderd the sample out of curiosity to see how Lutens does a feminine floral compared to his more woody/musky/tobacco/leather fragrances and i have to say i was pleasantly suprised. What i smell is sweet grenadine with a really good jasmine and honey, it is nice to smell a really good jasmine as i often find a bad one can be too sharp and cloying. To me the good jasmine makes this fragrance, it is softened by the honey which is not overly sweet and the grenadine adds a somewhat fruity dimension on my skin. To me it smells somewhat like Jean Patou Joy which my Grandmother used to wear but it is in no way a perfume for the older generation, the grenadine see's to that! It also reminds me of L'artisan Parfumeur's La Haie Flueurie but with a much better jasmine and sweeter!

vdxl
vdxl

A nice and fresh oriental, full of Jasmine. Maybe the most feminine Lutens creation, along with Sa Majeste la Rose. The others can be worn by us, men. It does not scream "Lutens" as the others: Tubereuse Criminelle, Arabie, Fumerie Turque, Chergui, but it manages to be borderline avantgarde. It works even for teen girls.

I am very glad to see honey listed as a note here, because for hours after smelling A La Nuit I was wondering why it reminded me of another Serge Lutens creation, Miel de Bois. Turns out it was the honey accord which made them slightly familiar to my nose.

Despite the honey note, A La Nuit is mostly jasmine. It's a pleasant, somewhat soapy and cuddly type of jasmine, that when applied to the skin, almost becomes a skin scent.

A La Nuit is less fresh than I thought it would be. It settles rather warmly on my skin. The honey and benzoin create a somewhat balanced and smooth blend which in turn prompts a feeling of feminine sensuality.

I realised while smelling A La Nuit that this is a jasmine scent devoid of indoles, that chemical component that makes some jasmine based fragrances smell like cat pee or fecal matter. I can see how this has become a well-loved fragrance since its release. It's simple yet beautiful. A clean and intimate jasmine blend, perfectly inoffensive.

I like A La Nuit, but I much prefer the louder and darker Sarrasins. However that is due to my rather odd tastes. All in all it is a perfect example of a jasmine fragrance composed with a lot of thought and expertise.

al.to
al.to

this jasmine is very alcoholic!!like some kind of sweet candy with alcoholic syrup (granatine?).
also balmy deep and intense
it remember me nasomatto feminine scents(narcotic venus);
i like it.
pleasant more then some other jasmine

update:here is a slightly fecal note..I think is musk plus honey very fecal--bee-animalic
indole
Lutens style but very simple this time

fanny
fanny

Best to test first, I agree with airubgirl and a lot more, I read in her review, makes perfect sense . Especially about the love and hate factor. Of course I'm an admirer of Serge Lutens, but this one made me hysterically scrub and scrub, nothing wrong with sillage nor longevity.
The scent itself though, in combination with my skin and my olfactory taste, makes me choke with abhorrence.
The worst crap smelling scent so far, I very much regret to say..

rosecat
rosecat

Seriously the Is one of the best TRUE Jasmine perfumes available, absolutely natural scent moments sometimes indolic, other times so weet & fresh - I will always have a bottle. I Love you Serge for making this possible.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

This is clearly an homage to night-fragrant flowers, mainly gardenia and an indolic jasmine. I normally don’t like florals, but will make an exception for this one. Initially there are some greenish, moist notes that give the impression of a real flower, but as these fade away it becomes slightly spicy.

A clove note is present in many night-fragrant flowers, so it’s completely in keeping with the general theme. It’s strong, it’s assertive. At first it has major sillage even from a tiny dab, but within 3-4 hours it’s gone. For a floral, I like this, but not enough to wear often.

airubgirl
airubgirl

As with all Lutens it's either a love or hate relationship it seems. For whatever reason his fragrances evoke a very intense yes or no in the wearer. I have sampled many of this line, own quite a few, and while I can appreciate them for the art that they are, most I would never wear.

A la nuit is one I do quite like and I do wear. For whatever reason on me it is a very soft, almost soapy jasmine and I mean that in a good way, a very, very expensive soap that leaves just enough of the scent to linger and float on the breeze without overpowering those in it's wake. There is nothing cloying or overpowering with my chemistry. Just softly sexy, with enough sweetness to really ramp up the mmmm factor!

On first spray I get a burst of jasmine, think summer monsoon, a bit humid, and a breeze floats over the jasmine and it's scent drifts in the wind. The heart notes are soft and sweet with the honey coming into play, to it's final stage the green, crisp, fresh jasmine that stays true to the flower. Nothing chemical here on me. Very clean and linear in this stage, but very nice indeed. Lasts for hours and stays true.. While I can't say I love this frag, I can say it's very wearable and quite pretty. I would recommend trying a sample first, as with all this line.

Fizzy
Fizzy

It´s too strong, artificial. I could not wear it, this is a big stinker.
Just horrible.

angel6
angel6

I had hight expetations for this one, but it's far too strong and cloy I could not wear this. If you want a beautiful jasmine get Olene by Dyptique, is one of my favorites for summer.

Vickalena
Vickalena

...Вымаливала молний ночь,
Чтобы самой себе помочь
И руки к небу возводя
Дождя - шептала ночь - дождя.
Был от жасмина пьян жасмин
Всю ночь творилось что-то с ним
И он подглядывал в окно
Где было шорохно, грешно,
Где чуть мерцая простыня
Сползла с тебя, сползла с меня
И от слиянья наших тел
Жасмин зажмурился, вспотел.
Друг друга мы любили так
Что ты иссякла, я иссяк
Лишь по телам во все концы
Блуждали пальцы, как слепцы.
С твоей груди моя рука
Сняла ночного мотылька,
Я целовал еще, еще
Чуть-чуть соленое плечо
Ты встала, подошла к окну
Жасмин отпрянул в темноту
Сползали волосы на грудь
И прикрывали как-нибудь...

Евгений Евтушенко

Lush jasmine that gets thin as it dries down, then develops that unfortunate mothball-indole note. It's okay, but this has been done a whole lot better in other perfumes.

Liina
Liina

So I'm on a search for a true jasmine scent. And A La Nuit is not a very good jasmine scent. I do smell a true jasmine note in it but it is overpowered by the honey note. And to be honest, I don't find honey and jasmine working together very well. Jasmine has a beautiful fresh sweetness to it but the thick sweetness of honey seems to hide it. So I decided to continue my search for a true jasmine scent and leave A La Nuit for others to enjoy.
BUT as it lasts a long time I could still smell it on my sleeve the next day as I had tested it on my wrist. And there it was! My beloved jasmine. With only a slight hint of honey. What should I do now? Still buy it and spray it on my clothes a day before using them?

hollycat
hollycat

This is probably the easiest perfume to review. Its like putting jasmine absolute on your skin. Its all fresh picked jasmine, on a sunny, crisp day.

Not very strong, on me. Sillage is kind of lacking too.

Very linear scent. But if you adore Jasmine, this is a must try.

Im a little bored with it to be honest.

Chris v.V.
Chris v.V.

Pow! Juicy, juicy jasmine! Intensely strong and sweet on application, but calms down after a while.

On me, this is ALL jasmine (okay, a bit of honey, too), turning softer and creamier with time. I do like this!

I don't know if I sense benzoin or grenadine in it. Mind you, I need to train my nose to recognize ingredients. (And if that means I have to keep testing fragrances -- well, then! -- I'll just HAVE to!)

thelaurenator
thelaurenator

A La Nuit is to die for. This is the ultimate jasmine scent. Jasmine is the star of the fragrance, but this jasmine isn't shrill. It's warm, sultry and sweet. This smells like the essence of a real jasmine flower, not soapy or indolic in any way. I'm going to be needing a bottle of this, stat.

njdeb
njdeb

This. is. The One. An absolutely swoon-worthy jasmine. A La Nuit is a pure, rich, fleshy and REAL jasmine scent. I literally feel like I just put my nose far inside a blooming jasmine flower and took a long deep breath. An incredibly sultry and seductive fragrance.

For jasmine lovers (raising my hand), this is the ultimate. Christopher Sheldrake is my hero.

lialu
lialu

Got my sample from TPC today. I had such expectations but...,even though it is a very nice fragrance, it's not sweet enough for mee. The "green feel" someone mentioned is too strong for my liking. I would have preferred a more "Alien" kind of scent. Love the jasmine but too sharp, too tarte. I prefer Serge Lutens Fleur d'Orange.

guest_JasmijnMade
guest_JasmijnMade

Wow, this is an amazing fragrance!
I have been searching for a pure Jasmine fragrance for a while now and i think i found it!
I still think the Jasmine scent of the Flying Fox from Lush is the best, but unfortunatly they don' t have a liquid fragrance of it.
If you are a Jasmine lover like me then this is the perfume for you.
I tried a lot of different perfumes (Tendre Jasmin Yves Rocher, Honeysuckle&Jasmine Jo Malone, Jasmin Sambac Matthew Williamson, Notre Flore Jasmin L' Occitane, Night Scented Jasmine Floris) and this one i defintely like the most.
I think Jo Malone and Matthew Williamson Jasmine perfumes are also really nice, but they seam to dissappear very fast on me, this one doesn' t!
Still waiting untill Lush is going to make the Flying Fox bottled fragrance!

Malegria
Malegria

Triple jasmine! feels very natural to a real scent of jasmine at night, when it smells more intense.Very sexy musk and benzoin, an there is a transparent film of alcohol.Intoxication, but in a good way!

enidan
enidan

A la nuit: for wearing at night, making love in bed or falling asleep with the window open, a crazy white fist in your face, edging into greener territory near the end, and someone discreetly peeing into the bushes.

Beautiful, hot, sexy, languid too, and the closest to walking past a jasmin bush in the evening and being surprised at the intensity of the flowers' aroma that I've come across so far.

Auguszta
Auguszta

This is totally out of character for me, so I've no idea how it happened, but I fell madly in love with it.
Apart from it's obvious, stunning beauty I love it for its intoxicating, bright, sunny, cheerful and optimistic nature. I sometimes feel a strange physical urge to go and have a sniff, even when I'm wearing something else, just to cheer myself up. I smell it and I feel happy, it's as simple as that.
I've read somewhere that if it was a sound, it would be the high and clear note of tinkling glass. How true!
I admit, it is a bit difficult to wear since it's incredibly potent. A tiny drop really goes a long way. Surprisingly, its staying power is rather disappointing (2-3 hours).

ferrari
ferrari

Jasmine bomb. White, bitter and sweet jasmine with soft green note into the honey and alcoholic tincture.
Realy beautiful and bright, rich and heady smell, but I can't to wear it.

Petula30
Petula30

My ex used to say, it´s like sitting under bloody jasmine bush .Very true,it´s bloody good jasmine.But I can´t smell any clove at all.

elgab89

Hi Coco76, definitely you should feel the benzoin in this one. I cannot detect any lily-of-the-valley in it, so you may try it again from a different source as it does look like you have the wrong sample.

coco76
coco76

after reading the reviews for this fragrance and checking out the notes, i eagerly ordered a sample....boy am i disappointed! in fact, i wonder if i even have the right sample! all this smells like to me (from start to finish) is lily of the valley. strange, no? i cannot smell any jasmine, and certainly no benzoin. has this happened to anyone else? did i get sent the wrong sample?!

elgab89

It does smell like jasmine and lilies blooming at night. A little overpowering if you like soft perfumes, however very feminine.

zoka
zoka

I adore Serge Lutens jasmine in this fragrance.

sniffygirl
sniffygirl

Sex in a bottle for me, but in a romantic way. It's a purely sensual, creamy, intimate jasmine -not sharp or unpleasant in any way.

Can be smothering if you put too much on though....

noor_jehan
noor_jehan

i love jasmine, particularly egyptian, and i am delighted with this fragrance. the various jasmines emphasize each other beautifully in this fragrance. the greenish sambac revives the tame egyptian jasmine. it is so sensual and light, really feminine and appealing. another favourite of mine. :)

jeca
jeca

Pure oriental jasmine, weightless and delicate, very gourmand for me, I like the vine character of this flower in it.

2007

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Serge Lutens A La Nuit fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Serge Lutens A La Nuit, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify A La Nuit by Serge Lutens. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of A La Nuit by Serge Lutens represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.