Designers » R S » « Groups

Ambre Sultan Serge Lutens for women

Ambre Sultan Serge Lutens for women
dislike

I have it: 938 I had it: 166 I want it: 768 My signature: 30

Ambre Sultan Serge Lutens for women Pictures Ambre Sultan Serge Lutens for women Pictures

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens is a fragrance for women. Ambre Sultan was launched in 2000. The nose behind this fragrance is Christopher Sheldrake. The fragrance features coriander, sandalwood, bay leaf, patchouli, angelica, resins, myrrh, amber, oregano, myrtle, benzoin and vanilla.

Coriander Sandalwood Bay Leaf Patchouli Angelica resins Myrrh Amber Oregano Myrtle Benzoin Vanilla

Amber Absolute
Armani Privé Ambre Orient
Ambre Russe
Ambre
Ambra Nera

Ambre Sultan Fragrance Reviews

Krupp
Krupp

Ambre Sultan is the smell of a Tunesian market with all its charming chaos of people, animals, colours, smells, sounds and dust under the constantly burning sun. Especially the scent of spices and dust dominates this perfume in a enchanting way. I am not sure that I will call it lovely, instead interesting and fascinating, able to create exotic dreams and longings in your mind.

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

Right off the bat, I get a blast of herbal bay leaf and oregano with a sweet resinous labdanum/amber. After a few minutes, it mellows into smooth amber and benzoin/vanilla with the herbs/spices still linger in the background and stays pretty much the same until dry down. Opening is loud but it does calm down quickly and move closer to the skin. It’s quite unique in my book. I haven’t smelled anything that smells similar to this. All in one, it’s a herbal/resinous amber, which is warm and cozy. It’s the granddaddy of amber scent according to perfumeposse.com and I couldn’t agree more. It’s currently my crown jewel and holy grail of amber scent. If you like your amber herbal, definitely give this one a try. The scent gets 5 out of 5 from me. I adore it!

polly golightly
polly golightly

goduria immensa. inizio erbaceo e amarissimo. viraggio lento verso l'incenso. assestamento finale sul resinoso e l'ambrato. di una bellezza sontuosa. probabilmente la migliore ambra sul mercato.

maknine ezzine
maknine ezzine

for me it is not an incense and amber .......
but it remains one of my best unisex fragrance!!

Oriental perfume with many spices, some herbs and lots of amber. Slightly old-fashioned. A little too much far a regular day. In my opinion it needs special occasion like costume party or carnival. When smelling it I can imagine those quite fancy baroque styled costumes.
The amber notes in this perfume are very deep and mature.
It's interesting powdery scent, I'm just not sure how or when to wear it.

jadetrail51
jadetrail51

A delicious reflective incense; very sultry and hypnotic. Not for everyone, but what a wonderful find for me. Makes me want to curl up with a classic by Rudyard Kipling with some Turkish Tea. Serge Lutens creations almost always take me on a journey.

Roman86
Roman86

I like this one a lot and it can be had for just over $60 from Beauty Encounter and Amazon themselves so there's no need to pay the ridiculous $130 that it retails for. This is a bold fragrance for sure in the sense that it's a niche fragrance and doesn't have a mainstream appeal. That alone may turn people's curiosity on or off to what you are wearing. For me, this is one to wear when you're in a calm or somber mood where you just want a fragrance that reminds you in a calming manner that things will be okay and that good things are ahead. This fragrance may be out of place at school, work or a sleazy nightclub, but for weddings, church or other formal events, this would perfectly fit the occasion.

harith
harith

I received my order (blind-buy) yesterday and I'm done !
its amazing, rich, bold,semi-sweet for half an hour then it starts its lingering...very potent seductive Lutens.

p.s: thanks Alfa Romeo, your description to the juice is very precised.

on my skin:
sillage is average
Longevity is excellent

Ciao

houzi
houzi

The fragrance started off thick and heavy, with an unexpected out-there barnyard vibe for the first half an hour, strong on myrrh, resinous and self-assertive. Its richness reminded me much of Ambra Aurea, though the latter one, admittedly, is more dry. To me these two perfumes are closely related, they fill the same slot in my fragrance library, but I prefer Ambra Aurea's bitter, smoky austerity.

The initial dirty note in Ambre Sultan made me think of raw honey, albeit missing the sweetness. Despite being quite prominent the first time I wore it, I didn't notice it much again.

A curious thing happened the last two times I sampled it, however, that put it in a kind of new light for me. I suddenly started noticing how prominent the oregano note is for the first two hours, and now all I can think of during that stage is pasta sauce. Nice, if you've planned a stay at home date night with your cute neighbour crush, making spaghetti together, tasting it for seasoning from the big wooden spoon the other one is holding, then wiping the runaway sauce off the side of their mouth while exchanging flirtatious looks and getting all hungry. But, inevitably, a bit of a letdown if you were looking forward to dining in a five star restaurant at the top of Burj Khalifa in the company of the dashing sheik, before the two of you take off in his private jet to buy some art in New York for his collection. Unfortunately, having had such high expectations for this sultan I can't quite see myself settling for homemade pasta now:)

Overall, the perfume is dense, rich, spicy and very resinous. It calms down gradually to a comforting, little gooey, vanilla-sweet drydown. Great, full-bodied amber, fully deserving of its reputation, although too much on the gourmand side for my own liking.

Ambre Sultan, such a powerful and interesting character, never a shy one, had me very intrigued for a moment, even if in the end I found his charms to be not quite what I was looking for.

majestic mammy
majestic mammy

Very sensual mature scent. Surely Unisex. It smells extremely like a dryer version of Amouage Silk roads Home Fragrance.

Very nice. Wonderful for evenings. This is very suitable for either a man or a woman. Deep, mysterious.

miss mills
miss mills

Damn! I've read amber as an ingredient listed in countless perfumes I've tried or owned but now I feel like I truly know what amber really smells like. This one reminds me of Strip by Agent Provocateur, although it should really be the other way around - it's in the way that Angel and Shalimar are linked perhaps, the genetics familial but the generations far removed! Although it kind of feels like sacrilege to mention Strip and this amber beauty in the same sentence as Strip is so...nasty! And Ambre Sultan is so far from dirty...it is warm and personal, exceptional in quality and long lasting on my skin, a beautiful, untarnished amber.

s.alswayeq
s.alswayeq

لم يرغب بشراء هذا العطر والتوصيل مجانا بالسعودية يتواصل معي ، العطر حتما سيكون رائع وسيجبرك على حب نوتة العنبر ...
كعادته سيرج لوتن مميز بعطوره

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

The greatest amber ever made, period!

hellokoi
hellokoi

I usually either love or hate Serge Lutens' fragrances, but Ambre Sultan falls into a strong like for me. My favorite amber scent is Profumi di Firenze's Ambra del Nepal, which is a simple mix of amber, vanilla and cardamom. Ambra del Nepal is rather sweet on me, but Ambre Sultan is a lot sweeter, to the point that it's almost cloying.

Ambre Sultan smells like intense, sticky-sweet, dark gold resins coated in vanilla. What I really like about this scent is the green, herbal undertones that cut through the sweetness. The bay leaf and oregano work surprisingly well. This is a cool, dreamy, slightly woody amber to my nose instead of a warm, powdery amber. It makes me think of being outside on a cool night, staring up at the stars.

I don't know that I'll ever purchase a full bottle of this, because I still prefer Ambra del Nepal for a sweet amber, but I'll definitely hoard a few samples of this scent :)

Atticusalexis
Atticusalexis

II have not met a Amber that i remotely like or love, not that i have encountered many so as to speak. However, there is only one word i can describe when i encountered this Amber....

Love.

Ambre Sultan....

This is my very first niche fragrance which i decidedly to finally take the plunge on the very same day that i encounter it. Usually i took quite a while to get the full sized bottle (the usual rite- spray some of it on the wrist and walk around for at least 1 hour and decide if i really like it, then deliberate a little on everything and anything and finally to the cashier), especially when there is no discount going on, so its the full retail price.

THIS is dangerous stuff... why?

I was window shopping and stumbled upon the Fragrance section which is sort of hidden in the inner part of the Mall and i was actually there to check out the Burberry Makeup collection, it was never my intention to part with my money for anything apart from that.

Until, the moment i stepped into the Fragrance section and was drawn to the Serge Lutens Fragrance display whereby i reached out for the bottle with amber gold that struck my eyes......

Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan.

The liquid amber.

At the first whiff, it hits on me strongly and i was taken aback by the force of the fragrance. It was really potent, nothing that i ever had in my stash or came across. I wasn't put off by it, but rather i was surprised by it and wasn't thinking of purchasing it at all, until i continued with my mission of checking out Burberry's makeup collection.

As i continued my shopping, i began to notice the potent thick spicy and maybe a little woody scent began to work its magic on my wrist.....it began to have a certain sweetness to it, a hint of vanilla to me while retaining its spicy character. The fragrance smells warm and luxurious for most part and then it further evolved into a scent that i associate with things vintage (for instance a lit  fireplace library with tall wooden bookshelves and a old leather armchair). The amber gold liquid developed into a being with a subtle tone of spiciness with a hint of wood and vanilla, very warm and cozy, something i would reach out for if i were ever left in the cold.

It does have a middle eastern element (from the name to the colour of the fragrance, everything) which i find it most acceptable and certainly wearable to me even in this humid and hot weather, which it lasts a good 8 hours at least on me.

This is certainly one of the most complex fragrance i have ever worn and owned and yes, it opened my "nose" to the world of niche perfumery (which can only mean more additions to my stash and wearing the precious liquid amber carefully) and the Ambers.

Note: I do not possess any technical knowledge or sophistated vocabulary to "flower"my review about it so i am going to describe it the best i can with my layman understanding of it.

Okay so this is one of the classic Serge Lutens fragrances that I had tried but never really got to know until now.
What can I say? Ambre Sultan is a very indulgent amber scent and frankly one of the best out there...No surprise really.
Contains all the things I love in fragrance... Warm amber, resinous spice, a touch of creaminess from sandalwood and vanilla.
It's a rare thing for an amber scent that is so in your face and yet I don't get the burning nostril sensation I get from even some of my favourite amber heavy concoctions.
I think this due to a very good good composition which is strong yet smooth a really fine scent indeed.

sky76sky
sky76sky

Another great amber.

As an amber-lover I was looking forward to trying AS & comparing it to my amber greats (Ambre Precieux, 114).

AS is definitely up there & happily bears more than a fleeting resemblance to both the aforementioned scents.

The opener is strong, with a mid-weight sweetness, depthy warmth and a smooth spice-rack blend that keeps the overall feel from being too cloying.

Along with the space I detect a heap of vanilla (the good, leathery sort), some beautiful balmy resins, smooth sandalwood & patchouli applied with a light touch.

But then, hello, what's this? Somehow, SL has shoe-horned in some curve balls: salty, bitter licorice (like the Nordic Salmiak sweets...which aren't remotely sweet); cold, metallic surfaces, freshly scrubbed & stripping to the nose. These oddities drift in & out through the mid stages of the scent's developments, playing hide and seek with your nose. I can't decide whether I love it or loathe it, but I am so intrigued it has be glued to my wrist. I am imagining this scent-perception is due to bay leaves & myrrh, perhaps a touch of angelica.

After some hours all I am left with is a buttery, luxurious hug-me amber kiss on my wrist.

The sillage is not as voluminous as 114 or AP, but is still impressive if sprayed generously. The longevity is also less tenacious than the other two, but is good. 114 still steals my heart.

Overall, this is up there in my top 10 ambers (possibly higher if I learn to love that metallic note). A quality scent with depth & interest that must be sampled by all amber addicts.

StealthAngel
StealthAngel

The bay leaf, oregano and Anjelica are what set this one apart: Ambre Sultan opens up as an aromatic amber, almost like a blast of cool air when you first breathe it in.
When it warms up, it emerges as more refined than TF Amber Absolute, I can actually smell a touch of raw honey in the heart, and it is a bit lighter in resins and spices.
It's a beautiful scent, I always associate it with a huge bonfire in the dead of winter, it's warming and comforting where TF Amber Absolute simply goes to war across the Steppes.
Try putting a drop - JUST ONE DROP - on your pillow, a couple of hours before going to bed, it will scent your night with a beautiful, golden aura and interesting dreams.

updating:

It is funny the fact that this scent is sold as a female perfume but I found it completely shareable. Because of this I noticed lots of comments made by women saying that they preferred this scent being worn by their boyfriends.

This one has a delicious amber note that, along with some resins, benzoin, myrrh, etc. turns into a strong mix of intense and invasive aromas that will, certainly, botters people near you, specially if wrong applied. However, if well (and slightly) applied, it will be comfortable, incensed and creamy.
On my skin I felt many times a delicious aroma of almonds + a soft incense. I believe it’s because of the myrrh.

Ambre Sultan stayed linear on my skin, however strong and pleasant. The lasting power was great.

Scentmad
Scentmad

This is delicious. It takes a few wears to really understand it, as with a lot of the SL frags. If you like spicy amber with the volume turned up to 11 then this is the one for you. I love it for winter - it's rich, warm, spicy and creamy, it's like a machine gun wrapped in cashmere.

amandaj1024
amandaj1024

This started off smelling like a kitchen spice cabinet with the bay leaves and oregano before transforming into a warm, sun drenched wood made sweet with vanilla and amber. At times, I swear I detect a hint of straw, other times I catch a whiff of almonds and pistachios. Maybe it is the color playing tricks with my mind, but I also detect some honey and a very gentle tobacco mixed with leather. It is rich but not overpowering and wears close to the skin. This also means that it does not last as long as other SL scents- after 3 hours I can only detect it when put my nose right next to my wrists.
I might add that this is the second time I have sampled this fragrance within the past week. The first time I got about thirty minutes of a "barnyard musk" like that of Kublai Khan before it acquired its warm woody notes, but today I got none of that "farm smell"- just deliciousness.
This is a perfect fall scent- not too heavy on the spice but definitely too rich for the warmer months. Though it might be a nice "dress up scent," when I smell this I picture a cashmere sweater and jeans. I think it is truly unisex- it does not feel overly masculine on me (unlike Gris Clair for example), but I would love to smell it on a man, as I think it would be very sexy. Of the Serge Lutens fragrances I have tried so far, this is definitely in my top three along with Chergui and La Myrrhe. Overall, very well done.

dmoman
dmoman

Heavy amber spice fragrance on me but isn't overly sweet. This one however is very very dry. Brings me a memory which usually when that happens its a good thing. I reminds me of my beloved Grandmother and though I probably will not be wearing this in public I will be wearing it in the fall/winter at home relaxing at home. Quality is good as always with this house.

Carestinus
Carestinus

4 years ago, when I started reading about fragrances and discovering so many great blogs, this scent was one of the very first that called my attention. "What is amber?" "How could it possibly be so strong?".

When a friend went to Paris I didn't dare to blindbuy this and went for Chergui instead, considered for many the best door to enter the Lutens world. I liked it and it came with a few other samples... but not this one, so my path kept going away from this for years. In the meanwhile I met many ambers and fell in love with a few, didn't quite enjoy some other... but could finally say: I recognise what amber is.

All this is to say I thought I wouldn't get surprised by any new amber... but I did... hugely! This is it! Ambre sultan is together with Ambre Precieux and L'air du desert marocain, the best ambers I've experienced. Very different takes on the same theme and equally arresting.

In this case I think it is the epitome of the perfect stuffed-up amber, it has a lot going on but the blend is flawless. This reminded me right away of Ambre Russe, and my first reaction was: "Oh noo noo!!". I respect and enjoy smelling the Parfum d'empire's amber... but I can't wear it... I won't explain it here but I should confess I get sick of it very easily. They both are in the same group of heavy and thick ambers... and to be honest, they're extremely similar to my untrained nose. HOWEVER, How is it that I can't stand one of them and would travel all the way to Le Palais Royal to get the other?

I think here lies the magic of perfume making. Two almost twin scents can create such different experiences. Please, I'm not saying Ambre russe is bad, not at all. It is also a great scent and I urge everyone to try it too. But the little difference here appears to be huge to me. Here the amber is highlighted and accompanied by herbs, resins and a gorgeous cinnamon note (not listed but I swear it's there), driving neurones mad and incapacitating one's chance to resist. In Ambre russe there is lots of tea and alcohol to create that extra oomph factor and that is my problem... where Ambre sultan is too much, too heavy, too opulent but handled at the accurate level to reach masterpiece status, Ambre russe is overwhelming and sickening. I can see why many people love that one too, but in my case this is where I dismount my horse.

Dark, enchanting... glorious, "enfin... un Lutens"

flowers-in-the-springtime
flowers-in-the-springtime

If you were expecting a gentle and sweet amber perfume, something that resembles Prada Amber then you are in for a huge surprise.
This is the daddy of all amber fragrances, it's dark, heavy, spicy and sultry. It's moody and bold and most certainly not for the faint hearted.
Resinous, spicy, not sweet but great projection and longevity. Fabulous!!

christianne1
christianne1

This is the Sultan of amber fragrances. The Mac Daddy. The Captain of the S.S. Amberheim. It is not playing when it comes to all that is dark and amber. It is not only heavy on the amber...it is heavy on the "heavy" in the opening. Not for the faint at heart. If you are expecting a sweet amber fragrance this might put you in tail spin. It is not a "sweet" fragrance and I think that is what kind of throws you at first. Most fragrances with this much amber have a little more sweet to counter it. Well, a LOT more. When I first put this on I was NOT fond of it at ALL. It is amber, oregano and bay leaf. Scared yet? After about a half hour it starts mellowing and starts to get a little bit of powder going on. After about an hour, it becomes a little retro and old fashioned but yet highly addictive. I would absolutely NOT recommend this as a blind buy. Step away from the Ambre Sultan if you are not prepared. I think you have to fully appreciate Serge Lutens to "get" this at all. Otherwise, I think it would leave most people going WTF...people like this? I used to be one of those people. Now, I like it.

messier42
messier42

Wow... Sultan! I'd say!! Rich, yummy, heady, spicy, dried fruit on a mahogany table, incense burning, black tea brewing. I tried this on a really hot day at it worked surprisingly well! It's heavy indeed, but not headache inducing. Clearly fine ingredients used to make this. Def unisex.

CoffeeCologne
CoffeeCologne

I think I am one of the few who really enjoy the opening notes of this one. It reminds me of this voodoo shop in Salem, Mass (I'm not a world traveler) where this gypsy-looking woman was giving spiritual readings in the dusty,dark corner. Incense was burning and it offered a really warm, comforting scent on a crisp, cool October night. Strange, but that's what I get!

Projection is good for the first hour or two and then it settles into a skin scent on me. Haven't worn it in public yet, so I am not sure if it will receive any reactions. I really wish the opening notes lingered for a longer time.

7.5/10 (would have given it a 10 if it lasted longer)

violetbat
violetbat

I received a 1ml vial of this yesterday. Very myrrh -like to my nose. When first applied I smelt it strongly for about an hour. I smelt nothing sweet. It didn't seem to develop on my skin at all. Then pouf it was gone. Perhaps it is me. Perfumes are disappearing on me at the moment. I need something with more oomph, clearly.

gaurav.verma2308
gaurav.verma2308

Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan is a strong fragrance at the begining but don't let this thing fool you..!!
As it settles on your skin it becomes such a beautiful fragrance.!!
It can be wore anytime and it is absolutely not over powering !!
With Ambre Sultan you can have the lasting for 8-9 hours with good sillage.
In India it is available with Splash Fragnance

+91 8956139654
+91 8793896846

Kain
Kain

This is the third Serge Lutens fragrance that I'm testing.
First one was Cuir Mauresque , second one was Chergui and now this one and I must say I'm quite impressed with all of them!
It's a fragrance for women and I was expecting something very sweet and feminine, but dude is this really a fragrance for women?!
I'm sure a man can wear it easily!
The opening is very strong resinous spicy scent with some woods in the background.
It does have a bitter spicy smell and I must say the opening is completely masculine! nothing feminine here!
After a while and in the dry down, that resinous smell settled down a bit and spicy scent became a little stronger. I can smell some kind of dirty animalistic feeling too but it's weak.
Now you can feel also some sweetness that gave the scent a really nice kick!
In the base you have a sweet (but not too much) yummy scent with some spices and that resinous and animalistic smell completely in the background.
It's quite sensual and beautiful.
Projection is above average and longevity is good.
It's a great quality fragrance that you can easily put unisex sticker on it!
I love it.
خوب این دومین عطری هست که از این برند تست میکنم و باید بگم که هر دوی عطرها حسابی منو هیجان زده کردن
این عطر در حقیقت زنانه هست ولی بهتون اطمینان میدن خیلی راحت میتونین این عطرُ یونیسکس بنامیم چون یه سری جاها حتی بیشتر حس مردانه داره تا زنانه
رایحه اولیه بوی بسیار قوی، تلخ، صمغ مانند و مقداری تند هست که رایحه ملایمی از چوبها رو هم میشه در کنارش حس کرد که حس کاملا مردانه ای داره
بعد از گذشت مدک کوتاهی و در رایحه میانی بوی تلخ و صمغ مانند کمی ملایمتر میشه و در عوض بوی تند و فلفلی اون قویتر
بوی تند اون بوی فلفل نیست و تندی و تلخی خاصی داره
در این بین یه بوی نسبتا کثیف و حیوانی مانند هم میشه حس کرد و کمی رایحه های شیرین هم به این ترکیب اضافه میشن و یه بالانس خیلی عالی بین رایحه ها بوجود میارن
در رایحه پایه شما یه بوی گرم و شیرین (البته نه خیلی شیرین) دارین که بسیار بوی خوشمزه ای داره و کمی رایحه های تند و فلفلی و کمی هم رایحه صمغی و تلخ میشه در کنارش حس کرد
پخش بوی متوسط به بالا و ماندگاری نسبتا خوبی داره روی پوست
یه کار با کیفیت و خیلی خوب دیگه از این برند که شخصا خیلی ازش لذت بردم

xe
xe

I always go for the amber fragrances, if it has some variant of "amber" in the name, I am tempted immediately (I know it's synthetic whale vomit, something never suspected I would come to love). I have dozens of amber essential oils, but there are not that many amber fragrances that live up to my high expectations. One would think I would have become discouraged and turned away from it a long time ago. I am glad I have not because finding Ambre Sultan is certainly an acceptable ultimate amber.

Amber all by itself, is not so interesting. Amber/floral is always promising but usually too sweet, amber/fruity is even worse, amber/oriental usually reveals the amber notes to late to be relevant to the spicy notes and woody notes often bring out the synthetic notes in amber.

In my experience, best in combination with amber are vanilla, coconut, especially black, incense, sandalwood, frankincense, myrrh, notes like sage, mint, pepper, bay leaf, cinnamon.

As Ambre Sultan contains many of these, it comes as no surprise that this is a very gorgeous scent. It would be repetitive of me to rave extensively about how it swoops one into a romantic, exotic place, full of sensuous mysteries and adventures. I think the others explained the place and moments this fragrance takes you to, beautifully.

I may as well note that this doesn't have a leathery note, and some of the other reviewers desired it. I recommend wearing something leather with this fragrance. It will bring out the smell and also slightly mimic a leathery/birch note. This one's generally perceived as a summer scent, the time one is least likely to wear leather, but in combination with a leather item, it quickly becomes a fall scent. It is unisex like most of the other Lutens.

thecapn
thecapn

At first, I really hated this. It was way too balmy, spicy, and almost a bit like play-doh. It was just much too rich and musky and in the heat, it smelled like I just needed a shower. See, that was the problem, it was just too hot! I tried it again in slightly colder weather and its just wonderful, it's like a rich, heavy, opulent coat, suffocating in the heat, but perfect in the winter. If there's a word to describe it, I think opulent is the perfect word to describe this fragrance, it smells like something Russian royalty would wear. Now it's safe to say I love it, I can only imagine how much I'll love it in the winter, but be sure to test this in the right weather because as beautiful as it is it is NOT a warm weather fragrance.

NebelGeîst
NebelGeîst

I had a sample of this one. And it was the only perfume by Serge Lutens that I liked (from those I have tested).

It is a woman´s scent, but to me it was unisex enough to wear it.

It´s a nice balmy and sweet amber, on my skin it has more of warm spicy than fresh spicy notes. But resiny notes are the most dominating part.
Even though I liked it, it was to expensive for me. I felt that I would not wear it a lot, so the high price (130€) wasn´t worth it for me. If it would have had a tiny bit of birch tar/leather in it, it would be the thing for me and I would have paid the 130€, but in this case it propably would have more of a man´s than a woman´s scent andit wasn´t ment for men.
Still a nice scent though.
I hardly can imagine it on a young woman or girl, if worn by a female I think it fits more to a mature woman, 40+. But that´s only my opinion.
I myself have worn 'old man´s scents' when I was 18, so propably depends on the person who´s wearing it..

Stevie.D.
Stevie.D.

I was gifted a half bottle of this last week and I can't get enough of it. At first I thought I smelled like an incense store and wasn't convinced but after 2 days of use I found it completely intoxicating. Yet to get opinions from my mates but think this is a keeper.

melissa3888

As a woman wearing this--I've finally figured out what sensory experience of wearing this perfume is like.
It's like after a couple of hot, steamy hours in bed, where your perfume has transferred to him, and his cologne onto you. You can't smell it until after you're both out of the shower, but the captured scent on the pillowcase reminds you.

iampauline
iampauline

If I can only have one perfume, this will be it. The opening is quite strong but then as it dies down, a warm comforting amber cocoons your surrounding. I live near a shop where they hold most of SL collection among other niche brand. I would always find myself checking the rest of SL brand and trying to find my signature scent. I have to say, this will be loved for a longest possible time.

Sofreshandsoclean
Sofreshandsoclean

Normally I have no desire to sit in the smoke direction by a campfire. But this fire has the most amazing smoke. The wood on the fire is pure sandalwood. An amazing hot, smoky, spicy perfume. Makes me quite warm. Check me in as part of the harem of Ambre Sultan's Palace.

oliseeger
oliseeger

Does anyone smell some kind of salty licorice?

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

Sweet myrrh and spicy amber, such a nice smokey resinous scent, one of the most delicious ambers I've ever tried, it smells almost like honey to me; perfect scent during fall/winter.

Croneangel
Croneangel

Blind buy ~ just arrived this afternoon. And even though I'm behind in my reviews because of migraines, I couldn't resist trying it. Have been wearing it for over six hours now so will give my first impression.
LOVE the opening! Adore it actually. The first 30 to 45 minutes are my kind of potion. Magical resins, herbs and spices all dancing like the shadows from a brightly burning fire in the deepest night. The alchemical process on my skin is wonderous. For a time, it creates an underlying scent of sacred tobacco. Theres an incense from deep in my memory files present. And one of the unnamed resins HAS to be my beloved breuzinho! But here I can smell it burning.... billowing clouds of sacred smoke rising to embrace the breezes. The tang of the burnt resin on the altar stone. I wish this amazing stage of Ambre Sultan's development could last forever. But, all things change. It transmutes to a warm glowing ember of myrrh and vanilla laden amber. Earthy, yet etheric as it dries down closer and closer to the skin. A wonderful fragrance!
And definitely unisex. Male body chemistry should be a great match with this.

evesoho
evesoho

Ambre Sultan is the most recent full-bottle I've acquired. It came with two caps: a round screw-top for dabbing like the one pictured above, and a prettier elongated one with a sprayer attached. (It also came with two samples of men's cologne, since the store didn't realize I'm female!)

The perfume is strong, and the mouth of the bottle is too big for me, personally, to use for dabbing, so I attached the sprayer. Well, it's a good thing I have 1ml sample vials and pipettes - because I've had to decant my Ambre Sultan in order to apply it the way I like best: one small dab in the crook of one elbow, and a couple swipes of the applicator behind the knee. I thinkt a man would wear it well, the thin coating left across the skin by the sprayer. I like strong perfume, but I also feel that it's more womanly to have the scent exuding from one small spot. Incidentally, I'm also convinced I smell more vanilla this way, not that I would wish there to be any more vanilla in Ambre Sultan than what is already there - it's perfect. Every dab wears like a jewel.

If there really were chambers of treasure, so full of gold and jewels that you stepped on them as you walked... inside mountains, in underground caves, in great palaces, like in fantasy films and adventure books... I imagine they would smell like Ambre Sultan. When I wear it, I'm reminded that *I* am a precious object. This goes beyond the scope of mere beauty. I would list it among my favourite perfumes, but that list is for the ones that have sentimental value to me. I'm not sentimental over Ambre Sultan. I respect it and moreover It respects me.

I do use the sprayer on the bottle sometimes, when I want to spray my bed if ever I'm feeling a little down. Sometimes, too, I give my feet a spray before practicing yoga. I know that sounds strange but I swear it helps ground me.

I think that Ambre Sultan is about honouring one's self. That speaks to the scope of this perfume, that it would be *about* something. Ambre Sultan seems to have it's own philosophical sense, and therefore stands alone.

bouffantbunny
bouffantbunny

Myrrhy myrrhy myrrh. Smells like some myrrh rock incense I got in Syria. Nice, but I think there's more rounded/dimensional ambers out there.

iam2sexy4uris
iam2sexy4uris

Beautiful Hot Resins! Smells similar to Arabie but without the Bay Leaf. Just gorgeous !!! Got my self a bottle :)

macumazana
macumazana

Am I the only one who feels CDG's Avignon smells like Ambre Sultan after the first 30mins?

samer007
samer007

Ambre sultan is challenging. Amber is one the warmest, most sensual erotic scents out there. mixed with the syrupy resins, this is magical. however as much as i love weird/ odd/ medicinal notes like the styrax/menthol opening of another serge lutens "tubereuse criminelle", im not sure if i love the strong bay leaf note in ambre sultan. i feel it cuts the warmth and sensuality of the resinous ambers, evoking a medicinal potion, sometimes verging towards a slightly old-fashioned masculine perfume... I really start to love ambre sultan after the aromatic opening tones down... when it starts turning into an opulent oriental/arabic elixir.
Not that i care who the perfume is marketed for, i'm surprised this isn't marketed unisex, can so easily be worn by a man:)
4 stars.

Bebette
Bebette

If I close my eyes I envision myself in an exotic bazaar, the air filled with heavy incense, spices, and herbs and after thoughts of men's colognes. Ambre Sultan, fit for a king, worn by a woman

JasonB
JasonB

Now in a limited edition metal travel cannister with 2 x 30
ml sprays. A stylish addition to your toilet bag.

Lakambini
Lakambini

First impression: strong and medicinal. Resinous. Two images: unnamed medicines in dark-brown bottles in a hot humid Chinese shop, and pine cones picked on a cool day, opening slowly by a fire and releasing their scent. Over all this, something aromatic or camphorous, the same effect as mentholated candy but NOT minty. I got something sweet and vanillic as well, but this went away, to be replaced by more of that dry, resinous scent.

The fragrance is VERY strong and concentrated, and one can tell it is quality, just from the lushness and volume of the scent. The pleasure I get in it is very, very visceral, and very much tied up with memory, and in sampling it I now understand the clamor against those crowd-pleasing concoctions whipped together to try to make as much money as possible, even those that go by the name amber (in many commercial offerings, it’s more of an alias than a name). I actually get the impression that Ambre Sultan is not so much a perfume as an experience, something to transport the wearer elsewhere in time and space. I can compare the fragrance, in its mature dryness, to some of those little bottles of Middle Eastern attars where amber is a major player -- but tons more complex and evocative than the typical attar you can get for a few quid on Ebay. Ambre Sultan is not your Ambre de Cabochard / Jesus del Pozo Ambar / Sarah Jessica Parker Twilight sort of tweetums amber. This is a womanly amber AND an amber with balls.

Many thanks to supergirl83221 for my sample.

jht4060
jht4060

The name Ambre Sultan is perfect for this gorgeous powerful amber scent. Sultan, in addition to meaning something like ruler or king, also means strength or authority in Arabic. If you already know what the range of ambery scents is like, you can imagine Ambre Sultan as a powerful royal amber. If you prefer our impoverished pop culture, you can think of it as amber on steroids.

I was going to write about the notes here, but honestly I am not sure I can figure them out except to say that lots of the listed notes are present. Instead I will describe this as the variants on amber that appear over time. The unusually long-lasting top is a rather aggressive bay leaf and angelica amber, giving way to a warm spicy aromatic amber middle, followed by a woody earthy balsamic amber base. The whole experience is sublime and the base makes me want to die on the spot so that this will be my last encounter with the world of the senses.

Strong amber notes are most often found in women's perfume but there is nothing specifically feminine about Ambre Sultan. If anything this is closer to a masculine amber and I think it would wear well on a man wanting to smell a little decadent or a woman wanting to smell strong but lithe, or anyone wanting to smell distinctively great.

dbrii24
dbrii24

Ambre Sultan roars in with vibrant strength forcing you to acknowledge its sensational presence. Off the top it is bracing but not enough to knock out your nasal passages. Spicy bay leaf makes it's presence known early on before delightfully blending in amongst the other notes. Once the fragrance settles you're left with a sensual spicy amber composition. This is a gorgeous perfume! It reminds me of Montale-Blue Amber, but Ambre Sultan has less coriander, powder and vanilla. In a choice between the two I prefer Ambre Sultan. It's perfect! The lasting power of the Sultan is impressive, as is the silage. Amber lovers will love this!

my2spritz
my2spritz

There was a little shop in my mother's hometown, on visits to my grandmother's house we would stop there to buy premium dried herbs, and have a cup of sweet & sour frozen yogurt.

The walls of the shop were lined with glass jars filled with every imaginable seasoning. On every visit my mother always filled a small paper bag with large fat fragrant bay leaves. Sometimes she would pick up some special paprika, or a variety of their many choices of peppercorns. My favorite jar was filled with vanilla beans. When I think back I want to say they were the biggest vanilla beans I'd ever seen, and I remember wanting to bite into them because I thought they would taste like a sweet beef jerky.

So, I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this?... This scent brings, to me, feelings of comfort and strength. :)

It's nice to see other members commenting on the taste it leaves in the back of the throat. I've noticed that too, and I've also noticed this perfume really gets in my hair. I think something in this juice really takes to the air. As I recall, herbal notes are technically classified as "aromatic" in the perfume world... it's all starting to make sense!

It starts out very resinous, and herbal; the sillage is huge. It settles down closer to the skin rather quickly, 30 mins or so. Then the herbs become more distinguishable, the warm soft woods become noticeable, and a natural sweetness comes through. In the drydown I can really smell the patchouli, it's very interesting. Like the worst parts of patchouli were taken out, leaving a sparkling clean and unique patchouli.

I can see myself buying a second bottle of this in the future.
_______________________________________

I can't wear this scent during hot weather, it brings out the animalic musk. Beautiful in cold weather!

nastyamason
nastyamason

From the first sniff I fell in love. I almost ordered a backup bottle, however, the scent quickly evolved into freshly sharpened pencils smell. I do not regret buying a full bottle but will not buy another.

Edit: I changed my mind and bought a backup despite pencil shavings. The first notes are so gorgeous!

ranchorita
ranchorita

My favorites are Coromandel and Portrait Of A Lady, so I tend to like strong, pronounced fragrances. The elements of Ambre Sultan sounded right through the heart of the notes I love in fragrance, but based on reviews here, I expected a 3 dimensional manifestation of resin that would possibly overpower. Still, enough people described this as a gorgeous fragrance, so I ordered a sample.

What I found in Ambre Sultan is an exquisite marriage of exotic scents bursting forth in the first spray, settling down into a lovely radiance of amber. I test a great number of samples and love most of them quite dearly, but usually there is some problem that gets them kicked off my "want" list, usually that it is overwhelmingly powdery or quickly disappears. I am happy to report this sample pegged my thrill-meter, I WILL be purchasing a full bottle of this one, and I will definitely be exploring the Serge Lutens line. This has the exotic appeal of resins, but of the finest quality. I'm in love again!

One more word-- the lack of cloying florals or sweetness would make this one worthwhile for a man to test drive. In fact, I'd like to test drive a man wearing this. Delicious.

chisappanse
chisappanse

Dark and Warm, Very Very Strong Woody and Honey...

SLAS..I Feel Like Crazy Sultans Horse....
He Run Into the Forest... Deeper and Deeper...

Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan is a fairly unforgiving fragrance. With that being said, a few too many sprays of this can be deadly. It's a hard-hitting scent, one of Serge Lutens' strongest offerings.

Getting through the rather cloying and headache-inducing opening is a feat in itself. Thankfully the heart and drydown makes it all worthwhile.

Ambre Sultan is a rich, spicy and syrupy amber scent. It smells exotic and expensive, not unlike an Arabian attar. On the skin I enjoyed its warmth and complexity. Other than amber, notes such as; bay leaf, benzoin, myrrh and other resins create a luxurious, oriental blend like no other.

It does tend to lean on the more masculine side of things, however it could work well on the right woman. I would be thrilled to own a bottle of Ambre Sultan, but I must admit that I would struggle to find an occasion to wear it.

I get the feeling that only true fragrance enthusiasts will understand Ambre Sultan and its complexity. The average consumer might consider this fragrance too strong or too 'out there'. However with the rising trend in oud and amber based scents, Ambre Sultan is sure to snag a few more unlikely fans.

I'm not going to lie, my bedroom currently smells entirely of Ambre Sultan. Hard to believe that this is the result of a few sprays to my décolleté and a scented piece of card. The sillage is monstrous and the longevity equally as strong. I recommend this fragrance to anyone game enough to make a bold entrance, especially those that relish the shock factor.

Muneca

I shared this gem with a fellow member and she asked me about the longevity - and it may not be as long I would desire - the 8 hour journey is worth every cent. This is a very rich dense aroma that through time develops into a warm, sexy fragrance. It opens a tad spicy - but soon - the amber emerges to mingle with them. Aahhh - yes - my beloved amber. The dry down is magical - as if the perfume turns into coals that resinate warmth - - a physical warmth - like a big bear hug of warmth. The intoxicating - not too sweet amber - stays aglow the rest of the journey. I can still smell the amber magic on my skin at the end of the work day. This is a true gem!

wallywinthrop
wallywinthrop

Guerlain's Shalimar is Scheherazade. Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens is Scheherazade pursuing a graduate degree in women's studies who goes to the shooting range on weekends with Agent Provocateur lingerie on underneath her clothes. This fragrance is definitely unisex but retains all of what makes Shalimar sexy: the burning embers and rich resinous vanilla. The top note of sandalwood is what makes it decidedly more masculine, and less hazily seductive. The oregano is a thing of beauty in my mind - a stunning and original addition and I love it. The benzoin practically burns the back of my palate but I adore it, like a fistful of cinnamon-cassia candies. I always ponder for a moment about possibly sharing a spritz or two with my date, but then I decide I'm too selfish and want this all for myself.

antfarm
antfarm

This is opaque and golden--an amber for amber junkies who just can't get enough, who want to drown in it and inhale it so strongly they can taste it in the back of their throats. Takes on a salty, taffy-like quality. Potent and interesting.

However, the density of this makes me feel like a prehistoric insect trapped in amber. When I tried it I couldn't breathe. I like amber and this is one of the greats, but having functioning lungs takes priority over smelling fantastic.

supergirl83221
supergirl83221

Syrupy and dense. This is powerful amber, which is brash and rough. not the typical vanillic sweet amber i would usually prefer. it has a warm, commanding presence. Reminds me of the spice market when I was on visit in Morocco ... I get the mixof corriander, bayleaf and oregano. Upon dry down, it turns into a classic mix of amber, musk, patchouli and sandalwood on me. Staying power is very good on me, more than 12 hrs, :) i love this.

KinG JameS
KinG JameS

What I have never understood with the whole fragrantica rating on the top is one, 80% say its long lasting or very longlasting and there are still people who think its poor in longevity, it often surprises me. I wonder because those ratings are actually usefull to me, but no ever knows if its true or not when the views differ that much... are different batches the cause of this? I know Serge Lutens` Frangrances to be ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS longlasting, I would be very angry to land on one that doesnt after paying the hefty price. Same with Creed fragrances.

Muneca

POW. Hits you like a ton of bricks. Couldn't decide if I wanted to run to the shower and wash it off - or continue to take shallows breathes! Glad I chose the latter as it gradually revealed its perfect amber waves. I have quite a few amber "really like"s - but have now found my first amber "love". This one is definitely not a blind buy - but IS a must try!

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

The name is perfect, amber powerful, imposing.
Ambre Sultan opens with an air of the desert, with clouds of spices and resins.
It brings me a sense alcoholic over drying, with some creaminess, yet, well spiced.
The base enters an intense woody vibe, the amber appears at this time with an air caramel-patchouli, also creamy because vanilla and sandalwood apears.
Definitely is intriguing, complex and somewhat surprising.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

This is such a wonderful amber. It's packed full of resins, with a bitter edge of bay leaf and oregano and a very soft sweetness as it dries down and gets a little powdery. Definitely unisex, but I feel it may veer a little bit more masculine in the opening and then more feminine in the dry-down. It smells so rich and interesting, cosy without being quite simple and comfy, its slight spiciness gives it an extra kick. Though it has a bit of a piney feel, it's like all the most delicious forest smells at their best - dry bark, and pine needles, sticky golden sap - on a bed of beautiful amber. This would be divine in cooler weather. All amber lovers should try this, it's definitely one of my top Lutens scents.

judithmarianne
judithmarianne

My signature scent, pur et simple !!! Rich, opulent, sensual & very intimate. If Boudoir attracts by its grandiosity this one entices by its secret promises.
I bless the day I found Ambre Sultan...

I.I
I.I

It literally stinks on me and it smells so charming and sophisticated from the bottle. What a pity.
I totally think it's a matter of body chemistry.
It's a pure and strong amber scent mixed with resins. I also smell patchouli.

deadidol
deadidol

Starts out a bit crazy and convoluted, but then dried down to a great, linear amber. My only issue is getting past that opening -- I find I have to sit alone for 30 mins or so waiting for it to pass before it gets to the good stuff, which, by that point, sits very close to the skin.

Dove01
Dove01

Every time I wear this fragrance men fall at my feet! I am not joking! It's sensual, inviting, carnal and intense. My husband prefers that I keep this for his nose only! I much prefer this Amber to Prada's offering. This scent will make you envisage a warm, balmy and heady evening in a mysterious country. It's almost too sexy for day wear. It made me blush the first time I tried it. Allow the initial assault on your senses to die down and you are left with a beautiful, unusual and sensual fragrance. Amazing - but most certainly NOT for the faint hearted!

moira-R
moira-R

Oh yeah! Just perfect and completely Lutens' fragrance!
This is a caravan with spices and incenses, traveling through the desert, the smell of their luggage, the smell of hot sun and sand, the smell of camel's wool...
Day dies. Night comes into its own. Then this caravan stops for the night and pitch a tents. The odors of dust, Persian carpets and huge platters with smoked dates and figs, thickly sprinkled with burnt spices, fill the air. And the imagination immediately draws strikingly beautiful men reclining on these carpets and almost naked women dancing in the light of bonfires... It is hard to find more sexual fragrance than Ambre Sultan.

grasslands
grasslands

This is what I would call a savoury amber. On me it opens in a cloud of church incense full of myrrh, patchouli and frankincense. Then it goes into a herbal phase with bay leaf, coriander and origano. While the scent is hot and dry there's a cool mentholated note offsetting the heat. In the drydown it becomes sweeter and more quiet with a few wisps of smoke curling around the vanilla and benzoin.

I like the close sillage and moderate longevity. It would be too difficult for me to wear if it was a real sillage bomb. I like the fact that the drydown is long but soft and whispery, and not cloying in any way. It's a beautiful scent - great to wear in the dead of winter with a black outfit.

Osrockoo
Osrockoo

this is a very nice scent my nose only picks up star anise and amber notes, i like it

rafickw
rafickw

This is not the type of scent that you love from the first spritz, you get hit with a punch of spices, that kind of reminds you when you open your spice cabinet. But once you get past that, you are left with a sultry amber,Vanilla and Incense in the drydown. Very sophisticated and mysterious, also ancient reminds of the middle east spice market.

Projection is ok not great for such concoctions, I believe this is offensive and should be reserved for special occasions not for the faint of heart but for the perfume connoisseurs.

dkny27
dkny27

Mmmm, warm deep resins and myrrh, as the many reviews reveal.... Balmy woods; but not the cold, crisp, dewy woods... Rather the ambery burning woods with the sweet hint of vanilla and a dash of the pepper mentioned in the composition.

This fume only takes the tiniest of applications to have the most amazing affects... Too heavy a hand may result in overkill, since the quality is quite high..

Worth the expense, it is so deep, rich in texture and delicious.....

Robynlovesperfume
Robynlovesperfume

Ambre Sultan opens with the most beautiful blend of something very comforting (must be the sandalwood, I'm guessing), myrrhe, coriander, patchouli (but not at all harsh), vanilla, and amber. I normally don't like amber in fragrances very much, so even though this has a boatload in it, it somehow works incredibly well. This is amber done right! It stays fairly linear all the way through, which, in this case, is a wonderful thing, seeing as the opening is so very beautiful.

Also, I have been meaning to say this for a while, but finally, I am going to say it: Ambre Sultan reminds me of a more expensive, spicier, BETTER version of old-version Organza Indecence. Yes, it's true... at least to my nose. So rich, decadent, and full.... Perfection in a bottle.

fuggerone
fuggerone

heavy power, heavy oriental kick..completely love it!

gemdraco
gemdraco

Too woodsy and masculine for me. I got a sample to try before buying - which I'm thankful for. I love a nice ambre perfume, but this smells like my principal from high school walking down the hallways. I had to scrub it off my wrist. I'll stick with my Tabu, thank you.

Jernê Knowles
Jernê Knowles

Ambre Sultan (Serge Lutens)

Difícil defini-lo, porém não impossível. Um perfume que ambre com um ar animalíaco, mas que dura por um momento, deve ser a mistura de Angélica e Coentro que remetem à essa breve sujeira, mas nada impossível de sentir, ao contrário é instigante essa sensação passada por ele. Nesse primeiro momento, a parte de trás do lado direito da minha cabeça doeu, quase arrebentou de dor, mas confesso que pra sentir esse cheiro excepcional vale a pena suportar a dor [risos]... O Patchuli, a Flor de Louro e o Orégano se misturam a um toque resinoso que o fazem ser "O Ambre Sultan" efetivamente, aposto nessa amálgama para a composição do que de fato serio o perfume. Por fim, sinto uma Baunilha meio alcoolizada e o Benjoim que dá um cheirão de poeira de sotã fechado a meses. É um perfumaço com fixação e projeção extraordinária que sobe às narinas e faz com que as pessoas peguntem: Que perfume é esse? Quem o usa? Preciso de 1 urgentemente!

619haifisch
619haifisch

mmmm .. boozy smoked amber and a touch of vanilla and incense.
A wonderfully made scent, which an addictive smell on you.
It is a very unique smell, though it is comparable to Amber absolute, with a bit more of a benzoin hit, really not a harsh smelling Fragrance.
ratings:
Projection: 2 hours tops, after that sits close to the skin
Longevity: 5 - 7 hours, again, not too bad, if there is issues with longevity, just get a decant :)
Overall: 7.5/10
Would be a higher score if the projection was better, but overall a well put together fragrance by the Serge Lutens house, will you get noticed? yes in close quarters. - overall a good collectors scent, unique among most fragrances

9-na
9-na

Smells like I'm five again, trying on Granny's powder and biscuits in a hurry. And I mean in a hurry, and together, minus the crums, because they are invisible.

orchid_84
orchid_84

This definitely has some similarities to Tom Ford Amber Absolute, although this offering from Serge Lutens doesn’t work quite as magically on my skin as Amber Absolute does. Ambre Sultan is a wonderful fragrance nonetheless. It’s woody, dry, full of spice and not much sweetness. I find it more cold and antiseptic smelling on my skin, whereas Amber Absolute seems to radiate heat. Ambre Sultan is distinctly herbal, with the bay leaf, coriander, and oregano emanating strongly. It’s an unusual, intriguing fragrance of dry herbs, woods and resins. As it wears, the spices calm down a little and it transforms into an exotic woody scent. Despite the fact that I would choose Amber Absolute over this, it is still very well-done.

melissa3888

A power-house of a scent. On me it does verge on 'body smell', not BO, more like sunbathing in Vegas heat skin.
Definitely on the sultry end. You won't attract boys when you wear it...you might have to fend the Eurotrash off with a stick.
I feel like superwoman when I wear it.

steveniox
steveniox

Hmm, another odd one for me. How all those notes on my skin can reduce themselves to a linear, sweet / biscuitty, almost fake tan-like smell, is beyond me. It's a pleasant scent, don't get me wrong, but I certainly don't think it's for me. Sillage was strong but weakened after about an hour or two before resting just above the skin, lasting power is very good.

zosoroxy
zosoroxy

Dissenting opinion: I pored over numerous reviews & talked myself into a blind buy of this pricey juice, expecting all sorts of exotic incenses & complimentary notes. Big mistake.

What I failed to realize, is that for all it's subtleties, the heart/base (well, just the entirety, really) of this fragrance is:

A boozy / bourbon vanilla, with fresh cigar tobacco & unsmoked pot.

Ick. I'm new to perfume exploration, having worn only #5 for decades. I know this scent has achieved a cult-like following & am thrilled that individuals are finding scents they love to wear. It's just not for me. I don't care for vanillics. Please forgive my ignorance- I never learned that "Ambre" = a heart/base of Vanilla. Now I know.

I'm only posting this so that if there exists anyone as uninformed as I was (my bad!), can be aware of the central theme of this big 'fume. I gently recommend try before you buy, & don't let the hype overwhelm your common sense (like I did!) Thank you for allowing me to dissent! Cheers :)

louisdav
louisdav

I'm shocked that myrtle has no votes!!! This is a myrtle bomb. I've never been able to stand the full on sweaty, spicy, body odour smell of myrtle (maybe that's why i pick up on it in Ambre Sultan) but this has a tonne. Interesting fragrance, and infact, i find that with the combination of other notes the myrtle works well and adds and interesting aspect which i actually quite enjoy. It's definitely still verging on body odour however. I doubt many other people will pick up on this but i do! This, for people who want a comparison, is a dirtier and spicier version of Amber Absolute.

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

this is wicked sexy, pure sex in bottle. it's heady liquid gold that floods your body, literally. And with just one spray. So please be gentle otherwise you will smoke out the whole floor not just one room. Longevity as with most of Serge Luten's scents is extremely dependable. It's very delicious amber and spicy woods rounded out in a smooth concoction and I will always have a bottle of this.
I have worn this for the last ten years, (god i'm old! sorry for minor digression) and I have never needed to look for another amber scent, although amber is one of my favourite smells. Lushly provocative, it is still warm and cuddly. Putain de palaces may be just that, but this is not of the same genre, this is an affair within a relationship that is comfortable and yet has room for kinky games.

carmofoz
carmofoz

I spent days testing samples on paper, on my skin, walking around Paris sniffing my wrist, upper arm, my paper strips, trying to narrow down 2 purchases: Sultan and Feminite. I got them both and then hit the Palais Royal boutique and just didn't have enough euros left to get one of their exclusives! Next time! Here's my beef and hope someone else can share on this: once you unpack, insert the atomiser, put the cap on, the box doesn't close! I've cut the base off the paper insert to reduce the height of the bottle, it's totally impractical even though now the box lid closes and the bottle sits tight; I've tried without the insert, but the bottle just flops around and there's a fair bit of light entering the box. I can't believe Lutens would provide such mis-engineered packaging in a flimsy paper thin container packaging. At that price, you'd expect a better fit and more substantial packing to keep the bottle snug and light-proof. Not the case! Anyone out there can advise on how they've dealt with this?

nero77
nero77

This is a superb scent. My first impressions upon sampling was a very herbal, medicinal vibe which immediately hit me upon application. However this is not a bad thing, as it gradually settled into a very warm and aromatic herbal dry down. I think this scent is very very well made and it reminds me of incense and herbs (but not in an overwhelming way), just in a really well blended sense. Depending on your tastes. I would suggest trying or sampling at least once to appreciate this (especially in the dry down). Extremely well made. If you appreciate Serge Lutens I think this is one of his best.

krisa.kola
krisa.kola

This fragrance hits me as a sexy, masculine amber, although it is perfectly well wearable for women, too. It is a quite linear scent, sweet sandalwood and myrrh accompanied by coriander and patchouli which give it a sharp edge. But what lingers in the end is warm, sweet and comforting sandalwood, making the scent a beautiful contradiction of boldness and softness.

kkoun
kkoun

I like Montale Patchouli Leaves better.

jeffwithfrags
jeffwithfrags

Serge Lutens, the house I like calling the Mr Notorious of the fragrance World.

Chergui, and Fumerie Turque, I've gagged at no small extent at these potent concoctions, yet completely admired the quality and high standard of ingredients they use.

Ambre Sultan's introduction is no different. Raw, but authentic quality spices literally jump out into your face. The spices are of the oriental/Indian type, and are very loud (and proud) in the opening.

Now this can be good and bad. Great for spice lovers, but this can very easily offend in the wrong company, I think one of the most offensive openings out there.

Spices are coriander, oregano (Indian style, not Mexican) and other sharp herb are detectable. Bay leaf included adds a real touch of class and sweetness that somewhat balances the dry spice storm.

The scent quickly develops into it's famous honeyed amber after about 15-30mins in. The warmth of the amber and vanilla (or benzoin as it's stated) is beautifully refined, completely transforming the scent. Very smooth, not too sweet, yet not too harsh.

Overall, the Serge Luten's intro puts me off again to what I actually view as a work of art, but sadly not a wearable one. Those that can tolerate the genuine but offensive opening can look forward to one of the best amber/vanilla based scents on the market. But it's still much better than Fumerie Turque I feel.

However, mind the price, this is a niche product and likes to show it off on your bank statement. A top try as a sample.

2/5 with into (can't stand the spices really). 5/5 for the amber drydown.

MerlinAbsolute
MerlinAbsolute

Uniqueness: 7/10
Overall: 7/10

Ambre Sultan suggests of a young woman, playful and affectedly innocent while knowing full well her beauty. Her lips are sweet but spicy and rather like a velvety honey.

Higher end of Ambers indeed. At first it seems quite ordinary, as many have said, but as it ages it grows sweeter and more woody. It opens with a lot of resin and a hint of coriander and sandalwood. There's almost an oatmeal scent as it goes down, very nicely like buttery toffee. This is a multi-dimensional amber, supported by myrrh, sandalwood, and a certain sweetness. It's not an invasively pungent amber but rather a smooth velvet of an amber.

Definitely one of the better or best resinous fragrances I've smelled; it's less sharp than Boyfriend (Kate Walsh) and more intimate than Vanille Ambre (Comptoir Sud Pacifique). The one amber I would say is superior to Ambre Sultan is Amber Absolute (Tom Ford).

This fragrance stays close to the skin and does not project as much as some of the other Serge Lutens. I imagine this one geared more towards men than women, as it is primal and more masculine.

Longevity is alright on me but still a nice sweet incense hours after I put it on. Has that "there but not there" feel about it. Overall, not too bad.

fpih
fpih

Ambre Sultan is the first fragrance that anyone will recommend to a lover of amber fragrances as a must. It's described as spicy, resinous, dark, heady and rich and all that with amber's underlying warmth binding every note together. Last summer, I finally succumbed more to the raving reviews than the scent itself and bought myself a bottle.

So here I am, almost a year later, with no more than 15ml missing from my bottle. Why am I not loving the stuff? This is a question that plagues me often when I run into raving reviews and recommendations of the fragrance. The description sounds definitely up my alley and I can't honestly say that it doesn't fit the real juice (I'm being sceptical about the spicy characterization though, as personally I don't find it especially spicy). It's not that I actually dislike Ambre Sultan, I like it a lot. But I SHOULD love it based on my favorite notes and instead, I find myself rarely using it.

I recently came to a theory that it's way too rounded and smooth for me. There are no sharp edges in Ambre Sultan, no roughness, no smokiness, no overt sweetness. It's so well crafted and balanced that nothing stands out in the end; it's neither too sweet, nor too dry, not too spicy, nor too bland, not too resinous, nor too heavy. I understand why most people consider this a good thing, but to me this translates to a lack of character and boldness (I know this sounds as sacriledge to Serge Lutens' fans but that's my personal opinion which is an amateur's one I'll admit). It also gets a tad sweet in the dry down (never too much though) and the bay leaf stands out at that point.

I have actually gotten compliments on Ambre Sultan and had people asking me what I wear, so it does indeed appeal to most people. But somehow, this never feels like me, it stays foreign on my skin and thus could never be a comfort scent as the rest of my ambers are. However, it's nice to wear when I go out clubbing or for a drink since the sillage is quite good, the lasting power great and it seems to be a crowd pleaser; I always feel pretty confident that no one will think badly of my perfume when wearing it.

Update: I tried Tom Ford's Amber Absolute yesterday and I agree, it's a less spicy (no bay leaf or coriander mainly) but with a prominent incense note, and way more potent version of Ambre Sultan. Of the two I must say I prefer Tom Ford's version: it has a warm, velvety feel and is so strong, it needs just a dab to last all day & night. I think it's the bay leaf after all that's causing me trouble here, so you have to like that note to get on well with AS.

catfishy
catfishy

this smells perfect ,BUT like almost all serge lutens perfumes it stays very close to the skin! :(
Projection and sillage are very POOR! You have to get close like an inch from the skin to smell it! I am dissapointed!

grigoran1986
grigoran1986

Too feminine for my taste... I cant see a man wearing this honestly

dlane1953
dlane1953

This sounded like something I'd really love,since I lean toward dry, woody, resinous scents. But not loving this one at all. The opening is harsh and bitter like medicinal herbs, and so dry that I can almost taste the desert air with all its mustiness and dustiness. Seems so acrid and hot that it's unfriendly feeling and exudes an aura that says "stay back, I value my space". If this develops into something softer, I may like it more but I won't buy a bottle; at this rate my sample might last a lifetime!

Later edit; just didn't work for me. It never developed a softer side.

maria-clara

Today I went out to finally purchase my bottle of Ambre Sultan which has been on my wishlist for months. In the meantime I worked with two samples, one just for sniffing, the other for perfuming my body. In the shop I hear that my beloved scent was sold out, and I have to wait another fortnight or so for my bottle of A.S. to arrive. After that, I went to Kiehl's, looking for a moisturizer, and instead I found (supposedly dis-continued) Kiehl's essence oil Amber 1942. At first sniff I was so surprised. I just found my Ambre Sultan at Kiehl's. Anyway, Kiehl's Amber essence oil is the same type of amber SL's Ambre Sultan: soft smoky and not sweet.

spumyland
spumyland

svitando il tappo mi ritorna in mente Obsession for men CK,
poi una volta spruzzato origano e alloro si distinguono bene.
a tratti balsamo tigre. esce calda la mirra....
ci vuole circa un ora per ammorbidirsi e diventare dolce. mooolto dolce.
non ci sono altre sorprese...strano per un Lutens.
for me:
rating 7/10
sillage 9/10

sorry SL

e' vero!ilgiorno dopo sui vestiti mi ricorda l'erboristeria su una spiaggia in Egitto.

aschiffm
aschiffm

Ohh I haven't smelled amber like THIS before. The amber is mostly dry in this perfume and just the right amt of balmy! And SPICY SPICY spices! It's herbal and leafy.

The effect is Dry, woody, earthy, spicy and vibrant. This made me think of hot Arizona air..

vdxl

A very nice and non-candy sweet amber note, that is both resinous and aromatic. It works fantastic on the summer heat, but it still manages to warm you up on the cold days. It is a true interpretation of The Scent of the Sun.

pooey
pooey

Parisian Autumn, ooh-la-la!!

carneiro7
carneiro7

The Picasso of niche perfumery (in my humble opinion) offers, with Ambre sultan, an exquisite symphony of amber, incense and patchouly. A smooth, warm, sexy and longlasting fragrance, just the way i love it.

duskangel101
duskangel101

Ambre Sultan is a natural warm amber scent. It's not as spicy as said in some other reviews. It's quite herbal, and has a strong incense note that reminds me of the temple I visited in China, where everyone was burning sticks of incense and praying. Not particularly unpleasant, worth pointing out.

Moyra
Moyra

As a huge amber fan, I can categorically state that not all ambers are created equal, neither do they all smell the same. Like "chypre", another blend of notes, "Amber" seems to almost be a perfume style of its own, a subset of "oriental" but in tons of flavors.

Serge Lutens' fabulous Ambre Sultan is a strongly resin flavored amber, one that grabs incense and wraps it in myrrh, sandalwood and coriander to create a spectacularly elegant Amber, truly unlike any in my collection of ambers.

I cannot detect any Angelica, bay leaf or even any of the "herbal notes" others speak of, just a glorious resiny amber loveliness. Ambre Sultan is also amazing by dint of being definitely unisex but perfectly suited to both genders: not too girly, not too macho man cologne.

Worth the rather hefty price of admission and then some if you love amber, incense and compliments, and a perfume I would never wish to be without.

Annelien1987
Annelien1987

I love it. This was love on first sniff. Very wearable and sexy. I would wear this day or night. I love these orientals. I smell patchouli and the myrre, two of my favorite notes. I do find it a bit medicinal. But I personally have no problems with those kind of smells. Perfect for the cold winter like at the moment in Belgium.

maria-clara

Why call it a perfume when it is so much more. Ambre Sultan is good for the brain. The scent takes me on a voyage from my grandfathers house filled with the smell of cigarsmoke, whiskey, aftershave and cologne to the quiet smells and noises of the tropical rainforest. Ambre Sultan is medicine for the soul.

glorious1
glorious1

I didn't think it was anything very special when I was applying my small vial sample. Then.....the drydown.....warmer and wonderful as the minutes passed. I feel like I am enveloped in a warm comfortable hug! I'm afraid I'll have to put this on the list of have to have's! I am not faint of heart and am not afraid to spray.......Oriental must be my middle name......Love myrrhe and patchouli and amber.....
March 27 -12
I have JUST gotten a spray of this magical and oriental juice! I am beyond taken by the scent.....I ordered a full bottle. I will not be without this fragrance! Whoever thinks this is just for cold weather is just wrong. This is wonderful in the heat and blooms. Whatever the weather......it deserves Ambre Sultan!! I have quite a wardrobe however, Sheldrake could have stopped here! This is the one!!

Gloria

Skippykat
Skippykat

This one burns HOT! And not for the faint of heart as it literally melts popsickles and makes heads turn. Somewhat medicinal on the first application, it's a very dry type of fragrance, which conjures in my mind a scorched Arabian bazar. It dries down to a smooth mixture of resins and vanilla, the vanilla adding just the right touch of sweetness. Great sillage and wears all throughout the day. Although most would probably consider it strictly night time only, I often wear it during the day and get no less compliments than I do during the night.
Although listed as unisex, it could easily pass as a masculine brew. I could definitely see it gracing the undershirts of a Smooth Operator as he strides about his business, or wafting from the hair of a mysterious exotic beauty as she stares straight through your soul with her kohl-lined eyes... but I digress. Ambre Sultan is not just sex, it's burning, scorching, smouldering lust that positively oozes confidence. You will not walk away from this one unscathed!

fanny
fanny

I'm a resin lover, a fan of coriander, an angelica glorifier, an admirer of woods and a patchouli supporter..

Ambre Sultan, in two weeks time, has become a very loyal companion. Of course I haven't forgotten my other friends, but this scent gives me the warmth when I need it, a uniqueness of character which pleases me and it stays with me for over 12 hours.

There's always an edge in perfume which Serge likes to cross, which is very interesting; in Ambre Sultan the edge has become its subject.
I find that even more interesting.

I'm starting to think that Amber should be declared an official perfume category. Serge Lutens AMBRE SULTAN is a beautiful member of a huge class of perfumes all of which are much more similar to one another than any of them is to any other oriental perfume.

AMBRE SULTAN opens with an evanescent herbality which is swiftly overwhelmed by the thick labadanum amber. This particular version is slightly smoky, not too sweet, and rich and thick like a perfume. Of course, Serge Lutens is one of the houses which has obstinately refused to succumb to the temptation to dilute their wares. As a consequence, the apparently high price is not really at all, since you're not getting 50ml of a fragrance with two hours of longevity. No, you're getting a very big bottle of perfume!

This entry in the Lutens line-up is no exception to the rule. Very thick and viscous and yummy. However, I generally find that amber perfumes prepared at proper concentration are all pretty thick and viscous and yummy. The drydowns of these compositions are very similar, and I honestly believe that in a blind test only a person with a huge amount of experience sniffing specifically amber perfumes could tell them apart.

jrichart
jrichart

Una grata sorpresa la que me llevé cuando recibí una muestra de Ambre Sultán de Serge Lutens. Mis primeras impresiones más que su aroma fue la excelente calidad de ingredientes que llevaba Ambre Sultan, se nota que la maison Serge Lutens emplea ingredientes naturales en sus fórmulas, y como no, el aroma de Ambre Sultan, me sacudió con todo su explendor de calidez y exotismo debido segúramente al ámbar. No soy muy entendido aún en esto del mundo perfumil pero a buen seguro que este perfume estará entre las cumbres de los perfumes de la familia oriental. Lo recomiendo fírmemente para todos los amantes de los perfumes de la familia oriental, aunque para algunos les recordará un cierto olor a herboristería.

Serge Lutens. The name itself, even if you are not all that learned about perfume, is said with a reverence and respect that he has truly earned. A perfumer par excellence, artist and true visionary. All he makes are perfumes (no clothes, no jewelry, no accessories) and his attention to detail is evident at first sniff. I remember looking longingly at his fumes and frowning when I saw the prices. Real art is expensive. I appreciate it, but (at this point) cannot afford to collect as much as I would like. Thanks to kind members and dear fragrant friends, I have some of this wonder in my possession.

Amber, as many of you know, used in perfumery is NOT the fossilized resin of poplar tree sap; but a combination of vanilla, benzoin and labdanum. A sultan is a very rich leader of a desert nation and this perfume could not be better named. From the first spritz, a very truly rich golden resinous aroma greets the nose and stays with you for a very long time. Linear does not necessarily mean boring, and that is evident when you wear Ambre Sultan. Dry, almost crumbly, sweet amber shines the brightest. This perfumer's gold is blended with the earthy leaves of patchouli, sandalwood and its creamy woodiness and dark, almost medicinal, myrrh resulting in an embarrassment of riches. Heavenly angelica (one of my favorite herbs) and coriander with its green cool spiciness keep it from going entirely too sticky, smoky, sappy on you, and keep it smooth and remarkably fresh for so oriental a scent. One spray (from a small decant) on one wrist, touched to the other, and one on the neck/shirt and all night long and into the next morning, I smelled as regal a Maharajah! Lutens perfumes MAY be expensive; but, if you are looking for something that lasts and reeks of quality look no further. It is money well spent. Whether you like a particular perfume of his or not, or would even wear it...you should at least experience this. Don't get it just BECAUSE it is "niche"; get it and try it because it is awesome!

Sillage: great
Longevity: awesome
Overall: 4.75/5

Yes, I went on and on. Yes, I bragged this scent way up. Why, you may ask (being a lover of amber and oriental perfumes that I am), did I NOT give this a 5/5? For one reason and one reason only: there exists a 100% natural perfume out there that does this same thing for me, only it is even more powerful, lasts longer and smells even more gorgeous than this, and costs considerably less. When it is added to the database, I will post my review and tell you all more about it...

Danrich
Danrich

Beautiful smooth rich amber, the best I've experienced.
The vanilla note is very tolerable in this beautiful juice

Coriander, sandalwood, bay leaf, patchouli, angelica, resins and myrrh, all favorites

Last 7-8 hrs
Projection 8-10
Rating 9-10

lisa.m.kasper
lisa.m.kasper

I loved the stated notes... so I bought a sample.
I loved the precious sample...so I bought a bottle....
it came today....

OH
MY
GOD!

Heaven.

Everyone else has explained the scent so I won't gush (much). To me, it is EXACTLY what it says it is.

Spicy with an undercurrent of sweet, mysterious, sharp yet soft, resinous ooze and of-the-earth but subtle patch...

It is simply devine.

The dry-down hints, HINTS mind you, of post-coitus...makes it so sexy.

If you are the type who adores Kalimantan (similar with a sweeter dry-down), L'Air du Desert Moracain (more herbaceous) , Dolce Vita (similar with a black pepper kick) and Annick Goutal's Ambre Fetiche (sweeter) then THIS little charmer will steal your heart. It balances somewhere between L'Air du Desert Marocain and Ambre Fetiche IMHO, so now I can stop wearing both at the same time!!.

<3 <3 <3

Edit: The Next Day:
Got my very first "What are you wearing?" today in the company cafeteria (of all places). And was told "it smells REALLY good".... oh yeah baby... it sure does.

Heverton
Heverton

Ambre Sultan opens up with a strong resinous note right after the first spray followed by a combo of myrrh and spicy notes.

After a couple minutes a kind of sweet/ambery chord appears resembling Wazamba from Parfums d'Empire, but here the benzoin/coriander combination gives to this particular fragrance a differentiated tone much more like the aroma of Black Cashmere from Donna Karan instead of the sweet/hay present in Wazamba.

Anyway, a very rich, dense aroma that through time develops into a wonderful fragrance. Ambre Sultan is the ultimate proof that fragrances do NOT have gender.

HazelMae
HazelMae

Dry spices; sweet amber. This is a good scent for anyone who has ever had a phase of all-natural perfumes. It has that solid presence of a natural perfume; unlike naturals it has decent longevity and sillage. In fact you can practically chew on this. It reminds me of some of the old-school Avedas. It isn't listed in the notes but I smell warm cinnamon in here, along with the bay and coriander. I'm surprised it is marketed to women, it seems like it should be a masculine.

Before I owned a Lutens fragrance I thought the bottle seemed annoyingly precious with it's fragile-seeming lack of a center of gravity. However when I had one to handle as I pleased (not under the watchful eye of a salesperson) I completely understood the appeal of the design.

marioslg3
marioslg3

This reminds me a lot of Winter Woods by Sonoma Scent Studio....it starts more spicy with oregano and bay leaf but during the trips towards the end is very similar. Finally, it gives you a nice woody vanilla perfume, similar again to Winter Woods. The main difference between the two perfumes is that Winter Woods is sweeter, stronger and lasts longer as it is a parfum consentration, not eau de parfum like Ambre Sultan. Generally a very nice perfume that you do not smell every day. It is dedicated for gold weather, chic dressing and rather for the night. If you like woody spicy smoky and heavy perfumes, this is what you want. It is classified as strictly female fragrance but in any case, this can't be worn by a woman. it has a masculine note that I would never expect to smell on a woman. The dry down is somehow between the middle, unisex one but again, for me for my nose this is a strictly olfactory masculine amber scent which is so different from all other ambers out there. Worth giving a try first before you buy. This is not a blind buy scent because you may find it heavy, too balmy, too woody/spicy but if you like those perfumes, it is a must have.

sablebombe
sablebombe

I bought this today and I absolutely love it! I get a heady, almost incense, smell - lots of patchouli, resin, myrrh, sandalwood....! It reminds me somewhat of a dusty furniture shop - filled to the gills with old wood that has taken on an historic scent! Or a dusty old bookshop - with a leathery, old book smell. There seems to be an old-worldness to this - very reminiscent of places I visited in Cairo...!

It is very warm and I wonder how it would perform in warmer times - I can't really wait to find out! It's not a traditional 'amber' scent rather something more distinct and slightly off the beaten amber track! On my skin it dries down into a smooth 'almost' vanilla-style but still with the main notes sounding!

Definitely unisex and most definitely multi-purpose - day or evening. I feel it could morph into the situation at hand. Has a very oriental feel to it (as in the Middle-Eastern rather than Far-Eastern) and, indeed, a unique character!

Silage is good and longevity is also good!

jtd
jtd

Ambre Sultan is my favorite ‘contemporary’ amber (as opposed to a classic amber such as Shalimar, for instance) by far. Amber can be steered into so many directions: boozy, honeyed, gourmand, resinous, vanillic. The times I’ve smelled pure labdanum resin I’ve been struck by its mineral smell. It smells a bit like warm stones. The dried, dusty herbal quality of AS (oregano, bay, myrtle) is the perfect complement to its flinty tone. While one angle is herbal, it reads as more botanical than strictly culinary. The other is mineral, but both equally enhance the resinousness and keep AS clearly out of the sweet, gourmand range.

Others have mentioned that AS grows vanillic by drydown and therefore like every other contemporary amber. I get the benzoin and the patchouli, but I find the composition actually grows drier and a bit more bitter as time passes. It replaces the fading culinary feel, taking over its part in labdanum’s narrative, maintaining the dry, matte flintiness through to the rich but low-sillage drydown.

When I first smelled AS, I could only imagine wearing it in colder weather. Fortunately for me in the 9 months of summer heat in southern California, it absolutely blooms. It’s just delectable on sweaty skin.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

An amber bomb! plus that typical "off" note that I find in lots of Lutens' perfumes which are put in there to keep you guessing. In this case I think it's myrrh. I can't see this being a daytime perfume; it is definitely a rich, warm, herbal concoction which would fit a cosy romantic evening - it has an enveloping quality and lies close to the skin, thus inviting close encounters with your partner. I'm happy to have tried my sample from dear friend Yamba1, but I would not wear this one, myrrh being difficult for my nose.

tonkabeanster
tonkabeanster

So I probably contracted every strain of the common cold and influenza known to man when I was a kid. My traditional Asian grandmother constantly forced weird, funky-smelling Chinese herbal medicine on me--the kind that came as powdery granules in little packets, which then had to be dissolved in hot water.

Overall, these drinks were not only bitter but also incredibly pungent. Once, and only once, did my younger self dump multiple spoonfuls of sugar into such a concoction, only to find out afterward that it did absolutely nothing for the taste. Quite the opposite, really.

Ambre Sultan reminds me of that particular experience.

No evocation of kohl-lined eyes, incense-filled harems, or sultry desert nights to be found here. Instead, one gets a loud opening of dry, raspy, and sweetened Chinese medicinal herbs that dries down to a more tolerable powdery vanilla. A complex composition with unique development, but neither easy-to-wear nor terribly pleasant for the most part.

Li Ching-Yuen longevity.

EDIT: Still Chinese herbal medicine straight out of the bottle, but the biscuity spiced vanilla in the drydown is to die for. Full bottled.

The Ugly Duckling of ambers. Ambre Sultan's opening is quite destabilizing due to the juxtaposition of bitter/dry herbs and the usual, extremely rich and sweet, Sheldrake's hallmark. An overall effect that's somehow medicinal, bizarre and challenging...let me say "ugly". If you survive to the opening you will soon discover an incredibly satisfying amber accord that's absolutely magnificent for its beauty. At this point herbs perfectly blend with the rest and play as a necessary counterpart to the general sweetness. Luxurious, intense...immense. Together with Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier's Ambre Precieux and Parfum D'Empire's Ambre Russe, they fear no rivals.

Be careful with dosage, this stuff kills! Another Lutens monster!

Yamba1
Yamba1

Ah. Ambre Sultan. One of the 'must test' perfumes for any perfumista as this is often cited in the top three lists for both Serge Lutens and as a reference amber scent. So today I have had the privilege of testing and here are my thoughts:

Ambre starts with a strong sweetness that surprised me but before I could make sense of it, transformed almost immediately into a sharp dry, almost throat catching herbal accord that was the closest thing to Wazamba that I have experienced so far. It then developed into what I can only describe as a 2-zone scent. From afar, I was getting gorgeous amber and sweetness that was like a smokey, slightly spicy vanilla. Im guessing this is the angelica and resins. Up close though when I put my nose to my wrist, I could still smell the strong herbal accord that seemed to exist quite happily in parallel to the sweetness only merging every so often to balance one another and reveal the full beauty of this perfume.

I can fully understand the accolades given to this perfume. It is well deserved.

pippab
pippab

I was expecting to love this fragrance but was very disappointed I'm afraid. I haven't come across a Lutens fragrance that I've been knocked out by. In my opinion, Ambre Sultan is reminiscent of Chopard Madness. To me it's very gingerbread and gourmand. I think it would be better on a male.

nofixedstars
nofixedstars

This is a beautiful amber scent---already a favorite of mine. It opens very spicy, almost hot, with amber under the spices. It evolves fairly quickly to amber that has a sweetness as well as spiciness, rich and luxurious. Later, undertones of resiny woods and vanilla come out, with just the barest hint of smoke. For me, the patchouli is covert; I sense that it is there without actually detecting it distinctly. I notice the coriander, but it doesn't obtrude unduly, just giving a herbal note to the spice drydown. Very nice perfume, and a fine quality amber. I do wish it had a bit more projection---on me there is virtually none, a common problem I have with fragrances in general and Lutens' line in particular, and I'd love more staying power. But it's a lovely, well-crafted perfume for men or women.

paiged98@gmail.com
paiged98@gmail.com

So I put this scent on my want list about a year ago without smelling it. I finally purchased my first bottle and I have to say I am in love with this stuff. It is definately for either sex. Just warm, smokey, musky and delicious. Although musk does not appear as one of the ingredients it seems evident there is some in there. It so beautiful and exotic and gives me such a feeling of comfort for some reason. This goes on at first more on the masculine side then warms up and a touch of light sweetness, not feminine sweet more like wet wood kind of sweet. This is the the resins coming through with perfection. The first day I wore it I didn't know what to think of it and was back and forth on it. The more I wear it now the better it gets. Really just an amazing potion. Just an exceptional scent that I will treasure.

full_of_colours
full_of_colours

This is the most wonderful exotic juice I have had the honor to smell. The resins are rich and complex, not powdery. Everything is there in perfect proportions. There are many wonderful reviews written about this beauty so I don't have too much to add. The trick with this one is decanting it so one can apply a drop at many strategic spots. It is the best way I believe to fully appreciate this beauty.

Akahina
Akahina

Lush, rich, long lasting and a great amber scent. I get amber, Myrrh and a bit of wood and spice. I don't think this one has great silage, but just enough, pretty close to perfect. After about 8 hours this is still going strong with very little change for me, but the slight change does bring on a sweeter amber accord, not too sweet, a masculine sort of sweetness that is tempered to just the right degree with what must be patchouli. the dry down is delicious and so sexy. Sort of close to the skin but I still get the feeling that others notice it because I do without smelling my arm. Is it possible to be subtle and intense at the same time? Perhaps "intense" is not the right word because this one hovers gently around me. I love this scent. Very sexy and about the best amber scent I have smelled. (20 hours later and I can still smell this on my skin. Lovely.)

This is one I would love to own but of the Serge Lutens fragrances I have tried I have a very soft spot for Muscs Koublai Khan and that will be the first one from this house that I purchase, this will be the second.

For women? I think anyone can wear this one.

Update: I am in awe. I sprayed this on my arm yesterday, in fact 34 hours ago and I can still smell this faintly in my arm. Incredible. The scent is weak, but it is still there. I used another fragrance today but not on this arm. I can hardly believe how long this lasts. The ingredients must be very high quality. I can't tell you how much I love this one. Now I have to decide which will come first in the Serge Lutens line for me. Tough choice...

ian85
ian85

I love it. A masterpiece : warmth, sensuality and addiction. I think it's the sexiest scent I ever had, whithout any vulgarity.
On the other hand, it's a very relaxing fragance which make this one something really ambivalent.
Joy and Happiness, harmony... Dedicated to girls and boys!
10 /10 definitively.

Singabera
Singabera

Dry, dry wood, on which the cold water was sprayed. Like in the sauna...)
then it becomes more ambery warmer, more calm, real antidepressant)
The morning in the heated forest with the cool stream behind.

vdxl

A spicy unisex amber fragrance that manages to stay both sweet, fresh, clean, but at the same time with an animalic touch. Also, it is not excessively sweet, like most of the other ambers. Lasting power is excellent. I think my 5 ml miniature will last me a while.

Louw
Louw

I love this, but it's just too strong for me and I can't wear it myself :( It's a very warm, spicy amber with a hint of patchouli in the dry-down. Definitely a conversation-starter - you will not go unnoticed when you wear this but don't apply it too heavily!

aquila_2009
aquila_2009

Hi.

It is always a conversation starter.what is it?where can i get it?An intimate, seductive and hot fragrance that is inspired by the timeless emotions of being deep in love.Delicoous and Dangerous at the same time.in other words Sweet,Potent,Passionate, Spicy,Woody,Subtle,Sultry and Laudable.

Sharp and strong opening with exotic elements,the middle notes are balanced but the base notes are the best part this one for me,when a sensual base of hot amber and wood with patchouli add comfort and warmth.The result is a sheer sensuality and this scents reminds me a hot Arabian woman.

AMBRE SULTAN is a definite keeper.More suitable for a mature lady.It is reserved for COLD weather and INTIMATE/SPECIAl occasions.It is not for Everyone, Ladies if you are loking for a gorgeous amber smell that will make the men drop at you,I would recommend this one.

Sillage?Strong

Longevity?8 hours on my skin.

7.5/10

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

Some ambers subtly caress you, like Le Labo's Ambrette 9. This just shouts loudly in your face. The benzoin leaves a harsh taste in the back of my throat.

Sissi
Sissi

Rich full and sexy, Ambre Sultan might be the most
accuate Amber in perfumery nothing synthitic nor
chemically enhanced Serge Lutens uses the finest
oils to bring back to nature to it's simpicity,
Aesthetic wise i can conjour in a number of ways
to describe this and let my imagination run wild.
If the color of Amber had a scent no doubt Amber
Sultan whould fail, like it's namesake it's warm
and opaque not translusent or delicate, to lure
you to an ancient world where the sky touches the
earth the note of Sandalwood adds the firey nuances, Myrrah and incense burns throughout the night
with it's pure white smoke ascends the endless sky like an offering of the night and the cool wind blows through sand dunes and refreshes your senses
This scent brings to Ancient in all of us.

9154mf
9154mf

The benzoin and resins are really prominent on me an unfortuantely I don't like my ambers this thick and strong, I feel like an incense shop. Then again, I've never had any Lutens work on my skin, not one of them, so i'm not surprised that this is no different. Also I appreciate theherbs/spices that create a different take on amber but they give this a masculine edge on me.

Cylob
Cylob

Got this as a present years ago. Was overwhelmed by it. Didn't like it at all. Which was ashame, because it was one of the nicest gestures someone can make. Giving a rare perfume to a perfume lover that is.

Fortunately my sister (who is responsible for my fragrance addiction in the first place) absolutely loved it, so she finished my bottle in notime.
Bless her!

mseidoom
mseidoom

Whoa!!! In the beginning it smelled like a sweet spicy scent. Then suddenly, I got knocked out by the smoke. This fragrance is sooo smoky. It's like smelling oak, patchouli and smoke all at once. Problem is, that's not what I want. The curry comes in later, but Serge Lutens Arabie has more curry than Ambre Sultan.

kasienkie
kasienkie

This scent is totally kichen-like for me. The same odour you can smell in my kitchen when I'm making Chicken-Curry or something from Thai Kitchen. The smell is nice, of course, but I don't want to smell like a dish, so Ambre Sultan is just not for me.

leeloojersey
leeloojersey

I must absolutely stink of Ambre Sultan as I spritz just about every 2 hours when I am at home.
I spray it on my crochet blankets when i'm chilling on the sofa, my bed covers, my husband and sons coats hanging in the hallway (not sure they even like it.) EVERYWHERE. I adore it just as much in the summer as I do the winter.
This fragrance creates pure relaxation to my senses...it reminds me of my trip to Dubai walking through the souks and the aroma of spices and incense and basically all things good. I only wish I could get a bubble bath and lotion so I could submerge myself in bubbles of pure bliss.
Not surprisingly i'm on my 5th bottle, which is expensive but, I gave up smoking so now I have a few extra pennies. I found this little gem from becoming a member on fragrantica.
My sister in law has just got her boyfriend to buy her some for christmas as she said she just had to have some after smelling it on me all the time.
It's not for everyone though, my step father really doesn't like it and when ever I am around him he say's "Argh! You still smell like an old lady" but, I don't care...I don't wear it for him or anyone else it's solely for my pleasure. I know it's strong which is why I indulge in it when I come home. I know it sounds loopy but It blends perfectly with the aroma of my fresh coffee and my creamy caramel Yankee candles. Perfect! Hmmm
Not sure how to put more balloons up...If i knew I would put 10 :)

Contessa01
Contessa01

When I recently (finally) sampled a bunch of Serge fragrances I decided that this was my favourite. The sales assistant was surprised I like it and I am sure its because its more masculine and less mainstream than some of the other serge lutens but something about it appealed to me and then I realised it smells like my beloved Ambre Absolute sample by Tom Ford. Only, I would say this is slightly spicier, more cumin based and less ambery. But for the slightly cheaper price tag I dont mind. I will have to buy a full bottle one day. I just love the smokiness of this and its not a frangrance you smell on everyone. I actually thought I would like MKK the best but that disappointed me, so I am thrilled to love this so much.

soupygirl3
soupygirl3

First, I couldn't understand why I was smelling baby-powder, since there were no babies around. I realized the smell was coming from the bottle. Hmm, why on earth would anyone spend money on a scent that smells like a $2.00 container of drugstore baby-powder? I put some on my wrist, incense immediately jumped up and then just as quickly fell off to a dry dust with a tweak of honey—all in about 2 minutes flat! The effect on fabric was completely different, it smelled like wet turpentine with a wee-little skank skulking in the background, then the skank fell off to leave a dry turpentine. I can't help but visualize crushed-up frankincense, with a spritz of turpentine being rubbed onto a freshly powdered baby's butt. Oh, and the frag stains clothing!

Aur-ha-kadosh
Aur-ha-kadosh

i love lutens perfumes but this one smells just cooking and cumin carvia and otther spices for cook, i smelled and i posess many amber grey perfumes, and some of true amber grey from al qurashi and this one from lutens is just disapointing,in Cuir mauresque he did the same thing puting cumin in this noble perfume cuir mauresque would be so better without that cooking note too !

FairyDust
FairyDust

I love this! I think it smells very much like 50% Agent Provocateur Strip and 50% Donna Karan Black Cashmere. I can't stop smelling my wrist!

Kterhark
Kterhark

I sampled this without first checking the notes, and now that i'm seeing them for the first time I'm thinking hmmm...

Angelica? certainly not. I've tried Guerlain's Angelique Noire, and this note is very chewy and rich. I don't detect this at all here. Myrrh? I usually don't like this because it tends to be too sweet. And patchouli? This is a medicinal siren, and is completely absent here.

I thought Ambre Sultan was a piece of leather flash-fried over a sandalwood brisket. It is very dry, and has just a kiss of crackling spices. I've been busy writing all night and forgot what i was sampling, but my mind kept coming back to this arresting fragrance.

So yes, I like this. It's probably a smidge too light for permanent rotation, but I intend to play with it for a few months to see if my opinion changes. Is it a 'true' amber? Not really. Amber should wear like a fur coat, this wears like a worn leather jacket. But I like it.

harlequin1572
harlequin1572

This is a lovely, warm, very natural yet decadent, organically fitting composition... with one exception: the bay leaf. I use a fair bit of it when cooking, so to my nose it sticks out like a layer of ham in a chocolate cake - an acquired taste perhaps, but not one I'll spend any time cultivating.

KalteStern
KalteStern

My thoughts on getting a GWP tester of this was it is very sandalwood-ey, but not as prickly dry as Santal Blanc, which makes it a feminine version of the same basic theme to an extent. The amber gives it more sweetness, without being too cloying. Very hard not to mentally associate these spice and wood scents such as cinnamon and sandalwood with Winter, more than the Middle East, for most northern Europeans.

elusivek
elusivek

This is a very nice representation of what amber resin that is used in perfumery smells like (meaning it's not fossilized tree resin).

It's warm, sweet, and pure amber through and through. My only issue is that it is too sweet. The persistent sweet note is too much. Not that this is really a complaint but it's too strong, go lightly with it.

The base does drift from the top and mid notes of just sweet amber but it's exquisite.

That being said, Pacifica's Spanish Amber smells almost identical (base is different). I actually prefer Spanish Amber because it doesn't have the overpowering sweet note that this one does (and it's a lot cheaper!).

glamazoid
glamazoid

it remind me of my grandparent incense box. i used to think of it as a magical property which i was not suppose to touch.
its alluring but its way to heady for my personal use. love it on another person.

adrienn99
adrienn99

when applied it is very similar to Serge's other scent 'Arabie'. Although their drydown is entirely different.
I love the sweet ambery drydown of this one, therefore I prefer this one to Arabie. More complex.

sfonativeboy
sfonativeboy

I got this for my Birthday last year ...
Dec 19
I guess, I needed time to really acquire the words and prose to best describe it ...
I love this Fragrance!

LUSH!
Warm, Interesting, Unique, Edgy.
Those are the first words ...
With time the Amber which curiously isn't listed as an ingredient...
so lets call it ...
"The RESINS"
deepen to a languorous and rich creamy sensuality, with other notes coming through.

Inhale the sweetness....
the deliciousness

Your mind wanders and suddenly you are far away ...
YEMEN, OMAN and The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia....perhaps
Enamel black eyes,
The scent of wood fires at night
The Stars sooo close you barely touch them ...

The Mystery ...
The boundary between Everything and Nothing...
Dare to open your eyes and ruin the dream.....

Dark and deep oriental fragrance.

On me this fragrance mostly smells myrrh, sandalwood and resins. And I wouldn't say that it smells spicy. Just oriental. I like these notes in oriental fragrances, also I like that I don't feel the spiciness. And luckily it is not as sweet as some other fragrances by Serge Lutens, that I like, but hardly can stand the honey sweetness in them. Besides I like that this fragrance is deep enough like all or almost all fragrances by Serge Lutens.

I feel something in common in the direction with Opium by Yves Saint Laurent, but while Ambre Sultan opens on me more deep, Opium opens on me more complex. It's what I miss in Ambre Sultan. Also I would say that Ambre Sultan seems to me more masculine than feminine.

Definitely not bad, but in my humble opinion, it's not the most interesting fragrance by Serge Lutens.

Dark Curls
Dark Curls

Rich, decadent, amber and woods with exotic herbs. My cup of tea, glad i blindly bought this!

njdeb
njdeb

An aromatic wooden chest storing exotic spices in an Arabian bazaar. The smoke of burning cedar. Rich, warm and resinous. This scent takes you to another time and tells a story of dark and mysterious places. An unforgettable scent with excellent strength and good lasting power. One of the best.

Pepa
Pepa

Cassiano: The resin you are looking for is called "Tolu balsam" or "balsam of Tolu" (a variant of balsam of Peru). It is the resinous secretion of Myroxylon balsamum. The Tolu tree is originary from Northern Colombia (Municipality of Sucre, by the Caribbean sea). The resin is tapped from the trunk of the tree through incisions into the bark and collected when dry. The colour of the resin is light to reddish brown. Tolu balsam is pliable when warm and fractures in a pattern similar to flint when cold. The dry resin has a complex aroma consisting chiefly of cinnamon and vanilla notes with a slight floral character. Other than therapeutic, its main use in the modern era is in perfumery, where it is valued for its warm, mellow yet somewhat spicy scent.
Source: wikipedia. It is indeed a wonderful and deeply interesting raw material and makes Ambre Sultan just ... perfect.

Cassiano

Another curious fact is that I didn’t see amber in its composition, however, I felt a delicious amber from the beginning to the end. And I love scents with amber, patchouli, spices, etc.

kastehelmi
kastehelmi

I wish so much I could tolerate-and like-patchouli, so this could work for me-but I can't and don't.

This is strong, dry, spicy, and slightly herbal, but not aromatic or having any dominance of green notes-woody, ambery in a way that reminds me of solidified resins-semiprecious amber stone rather than ambergris. I would rather smell this than any other patchouli-heavy fragrance on others-it's a fragrance that can't really be improved upon-strong and deep, not meant for everybody, but definitely meant!

LMW1702
LMW1702

I have about 20 SL fragrances and have tried almost all of his collections, imports and non imports and this is my absolute favorite. It always makes me feel strong and confident whilst remaining mysterious and feminine.On a cold winters day, it reminds me of wool jumpers and log fires and cabins. Fumerie Turque falls in the same category for me but doesn't quite grab me like Ambre Sultan does.

levissima
levissima

didn't suit me..... on my skin smells exactly like Femme Rochas

cleo cupcake
cleo cupcake

Oh how I love this stuff! So rich and warm it feels like being wrapped in a cashmere blanket! And as much as I love it on me, it smells even better on my darling husband! A perfume shared means a perfume that he is always willing to buy any time I am in danger of running out! Sweet!

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

Amber is one of my favorite perfume notes, so Ambre Sultan was a must-try. To my surprise it started off as a dry sandalwood that eventually began to reveal the amber notes, mixed with a little vanilla note, maybe from benzoin. However, the sandalwood never completely went away, so the amber always had that dry edge, giving it a little something extra above and beyond what I expect from an amber. Amber plus. I like the fact that there are no floral notes mixed with it. After a few hours the amber became warmer and seemed to have some fruitiness, eventually drying down to a vanilla-like end. This is probably going to become one of my favorite amber scents as well as one of my favorite scents from Serge Lutens. I'm already thinking about needing a decant.

Scent_Guy
Scent_Guy

I'm a sucker for Amber fragrances, and this is my gold standard for measuring Amber fragrances.A deep,rich, smooth Amber which from first spray till the last trace is detectable is a pleasure to wear. Well blended fragrance that flows smoothly through It's transition. From top, to bottom perfect accords.Blended with near perfection. Sweet, and spicy, but never cloying.A close second would be Blue Amber by Montale, and Vintage Ambre Précieux by MPG.

a.k.a.warum
a.k.a.warum

I feel bad posting the first negative review, but truth to be told, it didn't pass my skin test. On my wrist it smells like the dusty knick-knacks from a house where nobody lives and nobody lived for a while. This is a creepy feeling.

It becomes better with time, but the main quality remains. I have no idea what I am smelling and why, but it definitely was not a pleasant experience for me. It is amazing how differently things smell on all of us!

seventh
seventh

Anyone knows where to buy Lutens' products in London?

Kamicha
Kamicha

Oh, oh, this is my favorite amber so far! Warm, interesting, unique, edgy. I love it from the strong greenish herb chord on the beginning to the smoky, sexy middle phase to the intimate but definitely not boring drydown.

The blending is quite excellent in this, I don't think the singular scent elements at all when wearing it. It evokes pure feelings. The first impression is all about an old aphotecary with pungent but pleasant smells of herbs mixing to ancient woods. The middle phase is your own lovely skin after spending a day in the beach and continuing to the evening celebrating around the bonfire with your good friends. The sillage is almost shimmery in this phase, vibrating the aromas of warm amber, remains of those herbs, dry wood, bonfire, sophisticated animalic notes, spice. The drydown is the most beautifully balanced combination of amber, wood, spice and smoky-sweet aromas of vanilla and benzoine, the experience is very intimate and uplifting at the same time, very non-perfumey, feeling just like... ...me, just me!

Although there is strength and longevity in this, I would say that the fact that it stays close to your skin makes it very wearable in different situations. Only the strong head notes have heavy sillage - and even those are very pleasant to most people from the distance.

Edit. this stuff has really grown on me - it is one of my favorites for wintertime. I would love to have a touch bottle for this, it would be the right way to dose it - plus it would be in line with the intimacy of this scent. The lasting power is amazing - which can be a con, too. It is not easy just to switch perfume when using this, the drydown does not leave my skin in day or two... That suits well for me, though, I'm wearing the perfumes in phases.

the_good_life
the_good_life

Jaded as their view of ambers is, even Sanchez/Turin can't help but give Ambre Sultan 4 stars, despite putting it down as a scent for those who prefer "folk-naivité to the artfulness of Shalimar." Well, I'll take a good Berber tune anyday over Berlioz, so perhaps that explains why I find this to be most accomplishec Lutens/Sheldrake composition of the 20-odd I've tried, most of all because the tendency towards syrupy sweetness of ocassionally headache-inducing intensity is controlled here. Indeed, Ambre Sultan is a perfect perfume in that it achieves a wonderful interplay - harmony and tension - between bitter, dry, dark herbal yin and sweet, resinous, glowing yang, that adds up to much more than the sum of its parts. Ambre Sultan's quality lies precisely in taking things above 'merely' dressed up amber, it is a multidimensional scent, which becomes obvious by the multiple perceptions of it in the reviews - sweet, dry, dark, relaxing, stark, erotic... But for all its intricate twists and turns it also just simply smells wonderful and effortlessly perfect and that's what defines a true masterpiece. I find AS to be extremely powerful both in terms of longevity and sillage and prefer wearing the Eau Fraiche Parfumée, which in any other perfume line would qualify as an Eau de Parfum.

Adriana_87
Adriana_87

I loove it,a great amber scent.This is how the perfect amber perfume should smell.Spicy,sweet and smooth..

EternalSunshine7
EternalSunshine7

Sexy. Erotic. Elegant. Well-balanced. I would LOVE this on my husband more than on me. I honestly can't add to anyone else's comments. Great sillage and very long lasting.

Zocha
Zocha

This is beautiful! It's dark, spicy wood with a dash of resins, which gives a lovely sweetish edge. At first it's intense and then settles down to a fabulous and elegant experience. I got a sample today and surely will be buying a whole bottle!
(oh dear, my taste in fragrances gets more and more expensive, shortly I will be asking Fragrantica for a job to be able to buy those heavenly treats) :D
Ladies & gents may enjoy this ravishing product on cool days.

essija
essija

Sultry is the word, I love how warm and rich this is. It drives me crazy, Perfect for me. Must get fb some day! I love how well the spices are brought out in this one.

ferrari
ferrari

Starting with hot bitter spices and rich green notes. Many spices in a hot day and burning wood with resins. It's realy nice spiced amber scent, warm and long lasting. I love it.

sweetfumebopper
sweetfumebopper

I love Serge Luten's Amber Sultan on my boyfriend. It drives me wild and explosions of spices make him sparkly. When I close my eyes and smell him he smells mysterious, dark, and I like the animal like naughty aromas it gives off. It creates moods and scents which others would want to embrace (not that I would let them!!!!!!) its very inviting and makes me want to join him on the hot sandy beach. Get your boyfriend to wear this one!

iMaverick
iMaverick

I was expecting Ambre Sultan to be a powerhouse scent, being that it is, after all, an amber scent. But it's really a sensual, nostalgic, and gentle memory it seems.

It begins dark, hazy and powdery, as if one has stepped into a spice market and had instantly frozen in time, the latter being a bit jarring because my senses felt like it wouldn't move any farther than that instant moment. You smell the wooden tubs and bowls that hold rich spices of the faraway orient. Coriander and bay hit a perfect chord to bring out a woody facet of the amber more so than its normally resinous character.

As the scent progresses, the powder fades, honeyed notes appear, making it rich, sensual, and narcotic.

At first, I thought I wouldn't like this scent because of its still beginning, but one really has to enjoy this scent for its different aspect on amber.

rebella
rebella

First I didn´t find Ambre Sultan that special, I tought of it as a warm, comforting and slightly edgy oriental. Nice, cozy but not amazing.

I tried it again, and again and... well, I´ve got hooked little by little. Not love at first sniff, but steadily a kind of friendship is growing. Ambre Sultan can go with anything, in any occasion and any mood or weather in my opinion. A beautiful, allround perfume... Warm, some bitter edge, spicy, lovely golden almost dripping wet amber, really nice, really worth trying. A must if you´re in to orientals.

Ambre Sultan make me feel like I have just finnished a delicious oriental meal at a beautiful oriental restaurant in an exciting and exotic town some where in the middle east.

I will probably start looking for a nice decant of this.

Longlasting and great on men to.

tuberose_and _sand
tuberose_and _sand

Fantastic scent. Bossy and warm, unique, but approachable, tough and sexy, at the same time, a perfume of contrasts. Starts with a sharp, strong note of aromatic oils, a beautiful resinuous smell, then it settles to the most sensuous powdery, gourmand smell. Very long-lasting fragrance and very rare to find, as well.

Mitsouko
Mitsouko

Really, when I wear Ambre Sultan, I smell no perfume. Ambre Sultan, after sharp start, smells as warm up sun body, on wich they glitter marine salt. Very erotic, very warm, natural, oriental aroma. Beautiful.

Delicious edible scent. Amber and rock rose. Love this scent and it's perfect for cold weather.

Robert White
Robert White

I got a sample of this from Aedes, and it's great. Back in 1987, I had a friend named Viva staying with me for the summer. She was an ex-Fiorucci model, groupie, professional dominatrix, speed freak, and dabbhler in the occult. She used to compound her own incenses, brightly colored powders that would burn like a fragrant fuse when you touched a match to them. This one smell exactly like a magenta colored one she made that I love. This smell, for me, brings me back (here's that scent/memory thing) to a summer of warm, sunny days, amphetamine and sex-laced nights, all to a soundtrack of Love and Rockets, This Mortal Coil, and Hanoi Rocks. I first met the lady I'm currently in love with that summer (didn't see her again until last year, 20 years!. I'm going to start wearing this and see if she notices anything. Scent memory research!

KJanicki
KJanicki

Lovely warm scent. Very strong at first, with a spicy edge to it but it dried down in an hour to a warm honey and wood. Perfect for taking the chill off a cool fall day.

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens 4.12 out of 5 based on 1048 ratings and 177 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.