Designers » R S » Oriental Woody « Groups

Arabie Serge Lutens for women and men

Arabie Serge Lutens for women and men
dislike

Arabie Serge Lutens for women and men Pictures

Many of the Serge Lutens fragrances were inspired by journeys around Middle East. Arabie was inspired by eastern spice shops; it is an exquisitely warm spicy fragrance, dense and sweet from aromatic resins, temperamental, sunny, yet mysterious like East itself. Precious notes of cedar and sandal blend in with sweet notes of candied mandarin, dried fig and date. Nutmeg, cumin and clove at the heart pervade the composition with hot spicy notes. Aromatic bay-leaf, harsh and pleasant, joins the spices, dwelling in dense resin waves of Tonka, Siamese benzoina and myrrh. The final accord of labdanum joins aromatic opulence into a harmonic wholeness. Arabie was launched in 2000. The nose behind this fragrance is Christopher Sheldrake.

Nutmeg Caraway Siam Benzoin Sandalwood Bay Leaf Mandarin Orange Cloves Cedar Dried Fruits Fig Dates Resin Tonka Bean Myrrh

Mahjoun
Sables

Arabie Fragrance Reviews

Arabie is syrupy to an extreme, an amalgamation of stewed dried fruits with a big handful of spices. What a gorgeous, smoky, uber balsamic oriental. It smells a lot like spiced burnt caramel with a whisper of bitter orange peel. In the USA, I can't think of anything we eat during the Holidays that would remind me of this, so thankfully it does not remind me of Christmas desserts as many others describe, and it smells much too complex to be any kind of boring spice candle.

The closest thing to Arabie that I have smelled is Kenzo Jungle l'Elephant, but the spices in Elephant are unbalanced--downright unpleasant. For one thing there is far too much synthetic cinnamon. In Arabie, the spices are nicely balanced by the dark syrup, the smoke, and some kind of tangy fruit that I can not quite put my finger on.

What makes this perfume seem Arabian to me is not the spices, as nutmeg, clove, and cumin are used in countless cultures, including American. It's the figs and dates that remind me of faraway lands.

This is a stunner from Serge Lutens. It is positively exotic.

MadeiraD
MadeiraD

Oh give us some figgy pudding, oh give us some figgy pudding and bring it right here.

This smells exactly like the delicious Christmas puddings we have when we go to visit my husband's very English family in New Zealand.

Cozy, warm, spicy, edible.

pabuenos
pabuenos

I must have some sort of quality on my skin (bad quality, though) that absorbs lots of the ingredients from the perfumes I use, allowing them to expose only a few facets of their elaboration. Arabie is an absolute and delightful surprise on me, so let me try to describe:

1st - dates!!! Lots of them, sweet, edible, Christmas like!
2nd - dried fruits and cloves, giving it more depth;
3rd - mandarine, mandarine, mandarine - till the end!

It's lovely for spring and summer, zesty mandarine caramelized by the dates and seasoned with the most fragrant spices! Unfortunately, longevity and projection are not great in my case, but still a 9/10!

For a more richer, ostentatious scent, I like to layer it up with Ambre Sultan: feel the middle eastern power!

lyciumchld
lyciumchld

This has got to be the single most intriguing and decadent fragrance I've tried, and it is most certainly not for everyone!!

Arabie opens with an almost intolerable blast of "Fall at the Yankee Candle Company". No, I am not kidding. Walk in there one October and you'll smell what I mean: chemical approximations of pumpkin pie and spiced cider, YUCK!!!

BUT... a few minutes in, Arabie starts to blend with my skin chemistry and I begin to get whiffs of curry and raisins, followed by pfefferneusse!! Ginger and spiced fruitcake, dates and cinnamon, mincemeat pie, resins and figs... Oh, boy this is rich. Arabie is a heavily spiced, food-lover's dream, or nightmare, depending on your palette.

What an unconventional oriental gourmand foofaraw!! I'm not certain I'll be able to wear this out of the house, but WOW am I enjoying it!

UPDATE: The far dry-down smells almost exactly of holiday spice cake and cinnamon potpourri. It's really quite incredible. I went to the store today, having had Arabie on for a couple of hours, and kept catching whiffs of HOLIDAY. I looked around, thinking there must be one of those pine cone displays that are so ubiquitous during the winter months in the US... There was none. It was ME! Yes, I will definitely be wearing this during the holidays. YUM!!!

WildDove
WildDove

Very sweet, fruity, and powdery, candy-like. I get a strong impression of rose in Arabie even though it's not listed in the official notes.

Mattysmum
Mattysmum

Xmas cake in SPADES, marzipan and all! NOT for the faint hearted!. Extremely syrupy sweet and sickly on my skin and refused to budge even after several washes!.But If you are looking for a 'foody' festive fragrance,then look no further, this could be for you!

ericgoesta
ericgoesta

A fantastic scent, always carried on different dried fruits, evolving through the day.

Very sweet and candied, but not that in your face that it will offend anyone or that gourmand that it will make people think of eating.

Just perfect, like a visit to the fruit and spice market.

Scentmad
Scentmad

I bloody love this perfume. It's like curried fruit cake in the best possible way. Resinous with slight hint of plastic together with an opulent red lipstick (likely worn by Catherine Deneuve) aroma. By golly this is good. Brace yourself for the first 10-20 minutes and then enjoy the fragrant trance that will follow. Lovely.

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

Very fruity Christmas cake, or like dipping your nose into a bag of mixed citrus peel, though the sticky date is very evident too.

This would make a perfect Christmas perfume, or room scent, but like a lot of gourmands it's a wee bit too literal for me, it doesn't fire my imagination, and my top choice for Christmas would still be DSH's Cimabue, which has a Christmas pudding aroma but tempered with saffron and a bit more spice

As Arabie develops, cloves become quite dominant, I feel like a clove-studded orange, most festive! I love many of Lutens/Sheldrake's perfums, but this isn't a fave.

Authentic as always though, great quality, it would really suit a warm, foody gourmand sort of man or woman with abundant brown hair and happy face flushed from cooking in a hot kitchen

sheherazade80

Well Kareem, it depends on the nose evidently! I like it quite a lot or I wouldn't want to spend my hard earned money on it! Besides, this is a period in which I need spicy, unisex perfumes, because I can't stand sweet-flowery-feminine scents! I bought Black Opium a few weeks ago and, well, let's say that I have some problems wearing it now!

sheherazade80

And I would like to add that it is not as sweet as someone states here!I mean, I know it is very individual how one perceives a smell, but I find it quite dry and yes, it is very similar to Mehares from Erbolario which, being italian, I own and use quite often, minus the sweetness! I don't find it syrupy, I find it more similar to the spices bazaar I visited in Northern Africa and Istanbul than a dessert! When I cook eastern desserts they smell in a similar way but they're far sweeter!!

sheherazade80

Thank you Ian! I've tried Aziyade on one wrist and arabie on the other, this morning. I'm sorry guys, they're just the same except for arabie being more 'dry', less sweet and maybe a little less longlasting! Besides, Parfum D'Empire increased their prices and format, so now you have to buy 100 ml (a total waste for me, owning hundreds of perfumes) for 120 euros instead of the 75 ml for 90 euros they used to package. What a pity when niche perfumery turns haughty just for the sake of it! Still, I can't decide between this and 'Like this - Tilda Swinton' by Eldo: they also share a big similarity in my opinion. I can say they smell almost the same, but Like This is sweeter and I can detect a greenish note (which is the only thing I don't like about this perfume).
I really can't say, I don't know which one I prefer! Maybe Arabie is more 'basic', I could layer it down with some other Lutens I own, while 'Like this' is already too elaborated, just like all Eldo perfumes! Any more suggestions?

ian85
ian85

I have Aziyade. It's a very long lasting one, very "gourmand", oriental and addictive. I love it. In my opinion, a masterpiece, but not a blind buy.

sheherazade80

I have to choose a parfum for MY birthday, and I can't decide among: Eldo like this (my favourite and longtime desired!), Arabie and Aziyade (Parfums d'Empire). Having a sample of the last two, I've tried them and I must say that they are absolutely similar... But Serge Lutens' costs around 90 Euros, while Aziyade 120 Euros. Frankly, I don't know about longevity... maybe the second lasts a little longer but why do they have to make only 100 ml bottles!!?? I hate it because I own loads of perfumes and I always prefer to buy the 30 ml bottle! Anyone can give some advice here?!

shiva-woman
shiva-woman

I LOVE SL perfumes, especially Cherugie & Feminite du Bois and five o'clock Gimbembre. This, however, is a bit "too--too." It's overwhelming. I think for a more subdued spice (though still quite radiant, long-lasting and lovely, better to go with five o'clock). This is very sweet, "raison'y", overwhelming honey (& I love honey), sweet, spice. I love spices and spicy woody scents, but this is really over-the-top; I'm not afraid of longevity or sillage in my perfumes either! Having said that, I'm waiting for colder months to pull it out again, and try it with a few less sprays--as in one or two. To pull a perfume apart, I will start with a spritz, then move to (2nd time) full-on drenching (DO NOT DO WITH THIS PERFUME), and then (3rd go) even spray one spritz into a warm bath to get the immediate vapors (realizing that heat may distort or lose some essences). In all cases--this is strong. Please don't pop a ballon here, but imho this is like a very good, well-made Old Spice for Men (back in the '60's on STEROIDS. There are other nuances of course, as there always is in SL, but for those who remember the old Old Spice, this is "reminiscent." It does smell a bit more masculine than feminine; however, a couple sprays on the hub was also really sweet, sweet, sweet, with dried fruits and raisons and cinamon and CLOVES. A little less wood (which I usually love in SL). There may be in the dry down some incense-like component. I do not think this works at all in summer or spring months. Final verdict: I'm still out, will try again during the cold with a seriously subdued hand, and for those wanting to try--do JUST THAT: get a sample before buying; this is NOT a good blind buy (which I did).

anna.dkr5
anna.dkr5

I haven't smelled this yet, but I own a bottle of Méharées, and know it well. I'm curious about the comparison between these two scents... are they really so similar?

gzalvares
gzalvares

Maybe the smell of medicine? Perhaps. It may be weird to most? For sure. I'll try to get used to this eccentricity of the perfumery will not be easy. For this I have to concentrate on the fruity notes and try to isolate these spices. Later put everything together again!

TheSultan
TheSultan

UN-REAL.... Its not as syrupy sweet as everyone here is making it out to be. Smells like you're walking around in a dry spice market, in Bangladesh. Its very dry and put together very well. It's sweet, but it's very wearable. Excellent, excellent scent.

perfumepsych
perfumepsych

I'm sorry to say a trully awfull perfume.
It smells like curry, quite linear too.
Really disappointed.
Not a pleasant scent.

thoushaltnotdefy
thoushaltnotdefy

Yep, it smells exactly like Middle Eastern desserts... I'm just not sure why anyone would want to walk around smelling of Middle Eastern desserts :P

It's sweet, spicy, very syrupy and does have an exotic vibe to it. It's also incredibly heavy, longevity and projection are monstrous, one spray could fill a room.

As a collector I can seriously appreciate this fragrance, it's extremely well made, it's art. I'll gladly spray some on myself and enjoy it while I'm at home, but I could never wear this in public.

Karenin
Karenin

“Arabie” is the first perfume I´ve sampled from the renowned house of Serge Lutens. Having read numerous reviews of his fragrances, ranging from the words of high praise, to the comments insisting that while the fragrances are unquestionably unique, they´re practically unwearable, down to the utterly negative reviews, I became quite curious about what effect Lutens´s creations would have on me.

As the name suggests, “Arabie” is supposedly a bottled replica of the aroma exuded by an Arab market (or a Moroccan market, with which Serge Lutens must have some “nose-on” experience). I´ve never been to an Arab market but should “Arabie” capture its olfactory atmosphere even semi-accurately, visiting a place like this goes straight to my bucket list. From the very beginning, “Arabie” announces its presence on my wrist intensely, first with spices, the most dominant of which is cumin. The cumin is joined by nutmeg and cloves. Also, in the background, the dried fruits start to emerge and gradually reduce the spiciness and add a dash of sweetness to the composition. The sweetness in the heart and the base is further sustained by the date.

My final verdict: “Arabie” is an adorable scent. I especially like the fact that it lives up to its name and proves that even in today´s perfume industry there are still individuals bold enough to translate their visions and dreams into fragrances without being too concerned about the criticism they may attract. “Arabie” is a rather challenging perfume as it preserves its dense, spicy-sweet aroma throughout its development. Yet at the same time, I see it as a very promising introduction to the Serge Lutens line and, oh boy, now I can hardly wait to try some more!

Glarnere
Glarnere

Probably first perfume ever i found overpowering.
It is just too sweet, spicy, thick and heavy …
It is summer in Europe and all I can smell now is really heavy, exotic syrup. I would like to eat that smell, not to smell like it… I will wait until winter to see if I get cuddling feeling from the fragrance. Right now it is just too much.

mystica
mystica

Back in 1950s, my grandfather was a tailor. He had some leather cases and tin boxes which he still kept the stuff like buttons, zips, ancient coins and other funny material. I remember as a child sniffing a particular leather case and the ancient stuff in it. Arabie, that's it... Dates, figs, dried fruits and resin all together was smelling like that old leather purse and the contents. Transported to some 20 years back, I remember freezing for a moment before the Serge Lutens counter in a department store.

Arabie sure evokes the image of an endless dessert at dusk, bringing out the memories of a by gone era in me.

amberseaside
amberseaside

I wanted to love this so much but its taken time to settle into it because my husband announced I smelt like a "rich fruity curry" and the more I smelt it I agreed. However with wearing Ive discovered the individual notes and if I layer it with Tarrocco its quite divine - Im glad I have persisted as its one of Serge's more challenging creations.

dissolver

Sweet sweet sweet sweet SWEET. I really wanted to love this, and the notes are all notes I love, but all the spices just get overpowered by how unsubtley SWEET it is! I've found myself layering it with my Lutens Gingembre, which pulls a little too masculine for me, and that seems to help, but on its own this is just a sugarbomb.

IslandRadio
IslandRadio

Open-air spice market in an exotic land. That's all you need to know.

penguin1010
penguin1010

Oh. My. Gosh. I lived in Egypt for 2 years, and this scent IMMEDIATELY took me back. One whiff of this, and I was back in one of the local shops. Or wandering around in a Cairo souk, haggling with the merchants. Or walking down my street in Alexandria when the incense man passed by wafting that smoky goodness around to cover the smell of all the garbage. Or visiting with a Bedouin woman in her house in a small village out in the desert...far removed from the hustle and bustle of the cities, but linked to them by the same scent. THIS scent--Arabie.

Note-wise, I get mostly incense and fruit (esp dates), with some pepper and spices. But this fragrance is more than the sum of its parts. For me it's not about the individual notes, but the fact that this particular combination of these notes IS the Middle East in a bottle. For me this is LOVE and full bottle worthy because of all the memories and associations it brings back. Again, Arabie is all the good smells of the Middle East in one bottle...that's the best way I can describe it.

amaraztavich
amaraztavich

Chyrpe rouge minus the tea. And as much as I loookve both, their tangy tart pucker your lips spicey sweetness. T
Neither one are real easy to wear. I think it takes a real flamboyant type of personality, or if you're like me and have a few perfumes outside of your few signatures and just wear when you feel the urge. I really do crave the spicey tangy sweetness. And its a fabulous scent to layer with many of my more simpke perfumes. So although I will never wear this more than two days in a row I never want to be without it.

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on a decant. This is one of the scents you need to apply it on your skin for it to be in all its glory. On paper it's rather flat with just sweet dried date and spicy clove I get. Opening is nose piercing sharp but calms down pretty quickly. I get mostly dried date, apricot, fig and clove. Weird but unique. Like most Serge Lutens, it's sweet and thick. Nothing dirty. I quite like it. It has moderate projection and longevity on my skin.

RUDOLFO512
RUDOLFO512

Arabie is so very sweet and fragrant. It is one of my favorite gourmands. Like all the Serge Lutens fragrances that I have, a little goes a long way. I love the spicy and oriental aura. It lasts a very long time on my skin 10+ hours. I get many compliments every time I wear it.

death_by_water
death_by_water

This is the second perfume I am trying from the maestro (after Five O'Clock au Gingembre - which I enjoyed a lot) and I have to say that I am already impressed with Serge Lutens' unique vision. His creations resemble the monolithic wonders of the ancient world.

Now, to my blind buy and what I get from it so far:

Very resinous, dry and woody.
More masculine than feminine.
Not sweet at all.
Very realistic.
Great sillage and longevity.

Not sure that I like this one, though. Makes me smell bitter, somehow. I will give it another try.

K1
K1

I have to kiss Sheldrake's nose!
I believe he's a master of perfumery and every single drop of his art is the proof.
Arabie is a dry delicious combination of fruity/smoky/spicy notes it's highly realistic, extremely whimsical and a synonym of pleasure. It opens with a mixture of dried fruits (plum, apricot and dates are vivid) that together with clove and cumin form tobacco (hookah tobacco) smell.

Ps:
Food, a cornerstone of every culture, is a term that evokes good feeling and pleasure. Perhaps for its famous hospitality, the Middle East is known by its variety of foods and gastronomic arts.
This perfume; art indeed; bears an important part of Arabian culture which is the majority in the origin. A personal consideration on this masterpiece brings it to my mind that pure or monolithic gastronomic scents with bold and most-known notes as saffron or dried fruits may not be so interesting for Middle Eastern people as a PERFUME. Yet Arabie is a peak in its category and a remarkable focal point.

dissolver

I have a hard time imagining this on a man -- it's lovely, but incredibly sweet on me. I feel like an Indian dessert wearing it! It's rich and spiced and lovely, but the sweetness feels a little overbearing. I layered it with another Lutens today -- 5 O'Clock au Gingembre, which runs a little too dry and masculine on me -- and it's great in that setting, but I'm not sure I'd wear it on its own.

Vanessa Dunlap
Vanessa Dunlap

This actually made me hungry! Serge Lutens, I take my hat off to you!

This is very luxurious smelling oriental perfume. It helps to surround you with glorious Eastern atmosphere.
This perfume contains so many delicious things. Some of them which I can feel are dates, fruits, benzoin, myrrh, caraway and even cedar.
This is delicious, but not an every day perfume. Suitable for special occasions. I love the spiciness and diversity in it.
It can bring a piece of Eastern luxury and sophistication into one's life.

Kain
Kain

A really great oriental spicy fragrance with modern scent but at the same time shadow of the classic fragrances casting upon it.
At the opening I can smell lots of dried fruits followed by strong spices and some sweetness.
Dried fruits all together remind me of the taste and smell of apricot fruit roll and it's very tasty!
This fruity opening also has lots of spices.
I can smell cumin and pepper and I don't know, maybe other spices and there is a creamy sandalwood in the background too.
The sweetness is buttery and creamy and give the whole scent a sensual aroma and also tune down the spices very well.
The scent is linear and only gets smoother as time goes by.
Both projection and longevity is great.
People can smell it and it gives me around 7-9 hours of longevity.
A great fragrance for cold days of fall and winter. don't use it in the high heat!

یه عطر شرقی و ادویه ای عالی و بسیار خوش بو که بوی مدرنی داره ولی در عین حال رگه هایی از عطرهای کلاسیک این سبک رو هم میشه در اون پیدا کرد
رایحه ابتدایی این عطر با یه بوی شیرین میوه ای شامل میوه های خشک شده شروع میشه که راستشو بخواین بوشون منو یاد لواشک آلو و زردآلو میندازه و بوی جالب و یه جورایی خیلی خوشمزه ای داره
این رایحه شیرین میوه ای رو مقدار کاملا مشخصی ادویه جات خصوصا فلفل و زیره همراهی میکنن که تم بوی تند و تیز و کمی تلخ و ادویه ای بهش میدن
رایحه ضعیف و ملایمی از چوب صندل هم به مشام میرسه که البته خیلی قوی نیست
در کنار همه این رایحه ها بوی گرم و شیرین و تقریبا وانیل مانند بنزوئین هم وجود داره که هم تم بویی گرم و شیرین و سکسی به عطر میده و هم رایحه های ادویه ای رو کنترل و کمی بالانس میکنه
بوی عطر تقریبا خطیه و تا آخر تغییر زیادی نمیکنه و فقط با گذر زمان ملایمتر میشه
پخش بو و ماندگاری هر دو بسیار خوبه
بوش توسط اطرافیانی که بهت نزدیکن حس میشه و ماندگاری بین 7-9 ساعت روی پوست داره
کار بسیار عالی هست و شخصا ازش خیلی لذت میبرم

cockapoo9237
cockapoo9237

I'm walking through a spice market in a Middle Eastern country. I smell dry curry spices.

tonkabeanster
tonkabeanster

One of those rare perfumes where concept and execution come together in perfect harmony, crafting a singular olfactory image. You could've lived your entire life in small-town America, and still instantly be transported to a bustling Marrakech souk with one whiff of Arabie's spiced and honeyed perfection.

A fascinating blend of the familiar and the exotic--Christmas fruitcake and Oriental mysticism in a bottle. One of Lutens' best.

herreroph
herreroph

It was a blind purchase and do not regret it, it smells fantastic, longevity and sillage are huge

MzScents8ional
MzScents8ional

Does it smell similar to L'erbolario's Meharees at all? I like fruity spicy, spicy scents sometimes, but I'm not a fan of Meharees. To me it is not a woman's scent though I know women like it too.

nada
nada

no, this definitely doe not smell curry:) , it is very dry spicy woody thing.

flamin201
flamin201

Does this fragrance really smell like curry? I'm debating if i should buy it or not. And i'm not really a fan of curry..

ditush
ditush

I like Arabie more and more each time I wear it. To me it smells like regular Coke with some spices thrown in - mainly cloves. There is something fizzy about this perfume if that makes any sense. It could be a love child of La Petite Robe Noire and Jungle L'Elephant.
This might not be a poetic review but I really wanted to mention this.

It projects very well and lasts for hours. It does NOT smell like curry - I would not like to smell like that.

lloydbruno
lloydbruno

Opening flavored canned fruit with a camphor vibe.

Evolves into a woody with many spices, but still noticeable being the aroma of fruit in syrup, which brings me to prepare the jam itself, where fruits, cloves and nutmeg are cooked in the pan, warm aroma and delicious.

Carestinus
Carestinus

Imagine someone is hand kneading some exotic dough, fulfilled with spices and dried fruits, something like dough for spicy cookies... buttery and strong... that is how Arabie smells the first 2 hours to me.

It might sound awful to you and I can see why many people find this unbearable or unwearable. It is not an easy frag. It slaps you on the face.

In my case I am spellbound. Arabie is delicious in a gourmand way but the spices add something else, a further achievement that is truly wonderful. It lasts more than 10 hours and the drydown, thank God and Serge and all his team for it, is also a masterpiece. It turns into this compelling oriental, not cloying, not annoying... dark and enchanting. What amazes me the most is how it blends with the skin aroma and becomes a second skin. I had read someone saying this and I second it... it's impressed me how sexy and strange is the fact that it seems to be my own skin smell... but much better of course lol. This is a winter frag. Unisex.

I truly love Arabie and can't wait to have it!!! I advise you to sample it first though... in my case it was love at first sniff but it took me some weeks to actually say: yes, I'd wear it no matter what! Thanks John for this generous sample!!!!

iam2sexy4uris
iam2sexy4uris

Hot beautiful resins! Definitely not a going out scent, this is something you enjoy at home by the fireplace while sipping on a hot spiced tea, or just on a hot summer day, I've noticed it develops more interesting in warm temperature.

freddinos
freddinos

I really have not much to add to all the lovely reviews for Arabie. My small contribution would be that I do not recommend it as a blind buy. I knew it would be spicy, but as it turns out it is too strong for me personally and in the drydown there is a camphor-like element that I cannot stand. Apart from that, the top notes are a sticky-spiced-earthy blend of what Arab open markets smell like, and the olfactory journey to such a place is guaranteed:)

Shorokh

Just 1 thing to add. It it were possible to eat perfumes, I would definitely start with this one! Yummy-yummy! Mmmmm............ Very close to olfactive orgasm!

Shorokh

Just have to agree with all the people here who LOVE it. I am at a loss for words to describe HOW MUCH I LOVE IT, TOO. It drives me crazy!)))

antfarm
antfarm

Maple syrup and cinnamon with a little bit of dates. Reminds me of a sweet, caramelized holiday brunch dish.

boruvka44
boruvka44

Opulent arabian feast.
Smells like an oriental kitchen, where it´s just being cooked and particularly baked - sweet deserts and spicy meals, everything perfectly blended together smelling like gourmand heaven. In smooth harmony you can smell dried dates, candied fruit, bay leaf, fresh cut figs, and it´s all floating on cloud of sandalwood, myrrh and benzoin.
It doesn´t remind me of any other scent, just the kitchen or market, full of yummy goodness. Perfect inspiration by natural ingredients. There are no artificial odours. My little son smiled and said it smells like curry (i use to make as mild creamy sauce). It´s there too, especially at the beginning. Authentic oriental bazaar kind of scent. I would say it is another aromatherapy or interior scent by Lutens. But some people enjoy wearing such perfumes.

I only use it at home, every now and then.
It is brutally gourmand and such perfumes get cloying after some hours, or minutes.

Lutense´s (not only) "unisex" scents are very sweet.
More sweetness than one gets from Arabie would be too much, this natural smelling hitter might not serve good to nowaday sweet little boys.

girasolina

oh my god .. I bought this perfume but something is wrong!
I can not stand on my skin ...
At the opening I felt as I love licorice and licorice ... but the nutmeg and candied fruit or dried, practically dead nooooooooo
Even on a painting I would love to see the still life, hehe.
I'll have to get rid of this scent because I tried and tried to try to find a feeling, but it just is not possible.
Serge sorry!

Hélio Sérgio Rocha
Hélio Sérgio Rocha

Here is my review of Serge Lutens after years using this scent:

The opening starts with a camphor note and LOTS of spices!

Then, in a few minutes, this too much spicy accord tames down a bit and the honeyed fruits appers. So many fruits here, mixed, and i cannot describe each one for itself.

From the opening till bottom, this scent is spicy all the way. I get cinnamon, cloves, pepers, little bit of curry... And others i do not know.

But when this scent goes to drydown, we feel the better part of it - woody notes appear, little bit dry, giving a balance to the spicy part.

Serge Lutens were my first niche house i've met, and i am proud of that.
I used to love Arabie, but now i just like it.

girasolina

Mamma mia! what a mess! To those who believe that it is a bunch of spices I say that I am increasingly convinced, smelling, buying and testing, that the difference between commercial fragrances and niche is not in the quality of the ingredients (there is increased use of synthetic substances in the niche than are found in commercial perfumes) but in higher concentration of odorous molecules and substances fixative (see the fortune of Escentric molecule ...) and why not, that little bit of courage to put together notes that do not follow (perhaps now even the niche obeyed without protest) to wake the fashions of the different olfactory families.
In conclusion, let me just say that despite having read so many positive comments and many negatives, I'm going to buy this perfume because I'm dying to figure it out with my nose .... to be continued ....

Roge'
Roge'

It's kind of hard for me to believe that anyone can actually vote the longevity for Arabie as poor or weak. I find this to be a strong resinous fragrance in which the opening is accompanied with spice and fruit. After a while, nutmeg emerges to assist in the transformation from spicy-fruity to spicy-sugary. I think this is a pretty good fragrance overall. I can definitely see someone absolutely disliking Arabie as it can be too heavy of a scent to deal with.

samer007
samer007

been waiting to check this one for a long time! love the smell of arab souks, oriental perfumes and serge lutens love for arabic scents. Looove chergui to me its the essence of arabic warm streets mmm...
but when i sprayed arabie i was... confused, then disappointed, then 5 min later i covered it with another perfume!
foody, bitter, cloying and simply not my taste. too many culinary spices, overdose of fruits, no refinement..
the second time i tried Arabie i definitely warmed up to it... the dates, fruits, spices and resins are heavy, suffocating even but i was prepared for this rollercoaster of a scent, and i accept it more but still think it's too much.
3 stars.

kl99
kl99

Many fragrances by Serge Lutens like this, jeux de peau, and santal majuscule, smells like Fenugreek; Trigonella foenum-graecum (greek-hay spice.. marvellous on the fish).
I do not like, it smells like barn and "fried chicken with curry". Yes, blended with some powerful french perfume to cover it in some circumstance.
Terrible to my nose.
I believe every perfumer has got his own mark & scratch, and then his own public, on the paper (I mean the list notes) I should like them all, but at the end there's always something that doesn't persuade me.

This fragrance smells curry powder. Not the best by Serge Lutens for sure. I wouldn't like to smell like that.

flkirkland
flkirkland

I really love this scent. Straight away I get a blast of dried fruits and spices with resin hanging out in the background. Just sweet enough to work with the fruit and warm undertones from the resin and myrrh. After about 30 minutes and the bay really starts to make its appearance and stays throughout, right alongside the dried fruit and spice.

It reminds me of the smells and sensations of walking through open air markets, the people, the food,the merchants selling their spices as the late afternoon sun begins to hit the horizon and the warmth of the day is still wrapping itself around everything.

Truly wonderful.

johngreenink
johngreenink

How do I begin to dissect this perfume? My instincts say 'let a good thing simply BE'. I love Sherapop's review below, which describes Arabie as a thick slab of liquor-soaked fruit cake. She's spot on. And this is what amuses me about Arabie - it's completely cross-cultural. Arab fruit vendors, North American pantries at holiday time, Micronesian spiced islands, sticky sweets from Greece and Turkey.

There's no escaping the fact that Arabie is like comfort food: warm, golden, honeyed, gently musky, full of those spices that rest between sweet and savory: cumin and nutmeg.

But I put aside all those associations when I put Arabie on and experience it. It is without a doubt its own creature, like a spinning cornucopia of richness and depth. When I wear it, it feels incredibly indulgent, and makes me smile because it's so opposite from the trends in much of perfumery these days. It's opulent while others are minimal - deep and complex while others are sleek and linear. Arabie is the pastry chef who has extra sweets left at the end of the day and he's giving them away to kids in the neighborhood. Those smiles and shrieks of children on bicycles, riding two-on-a-seat while trying to balance a warm gooey pastry in their hands - this is Arabie. Just give in to the richness and love it.

Hoyo
Hoyo

Very interesting and loveable fragrance. Right off the bat it has a faint smell of licorice with sweet fruits and spice. It dries down to a very comforting scent which has good sillage and longevity.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

Another Lutens to love. I was a little apprehensive when I sprayed this on as I am not a gourmand scent person at all. I need not have worried. Mr. Sheldrake has another winner and he is not about to make a sweet, gooey cupcake scent.

Arabie opens with a strong alcohol spice blast that smells boozy, like spiced rum. Don't stick your nose in this one while it's still wet because you won't like the initial spray. Give it time. After the boozy scent begins to fade a huge caraway note emerges in the middle notes. I love caraway but I don't want to smell like a Reuben sandwich.

I need not have worried; the caraway note tones down and mixes with the bay and the spices to give a rich, deep spicy background that is gorgeous and not too sweet. Then as the scent dries down further the fruits start to come out with just the right touch of richness, depth and sweetness. You can especially smell the fig, date and apricot. This reminds me of a dish I grew up with, spiced fruit compote, that is often eaten at Christmas. But the scent never gets too sweet, just the hint of real fruit sweetness, not sugar, with the deep spices of clove and nutmeg and the bay and caraway.

In my opinion, Arabie is a genius combo that will have you sniffing your arm all day. The nutmeg note is nice and forward, which I love. My favorite cooking "secret" is to put a little bit of fresh grated nutmeg in all sorts of dishes. (Hint- a soupcon of fresh grated nutmeg is amazing in macaroni and cheese and creamed spinach).

Arabie is definitely a full bottle buy for me. I totally love it and am kicking myself for taking so long to try it. Life is short. So many great scents- so little time!!

Not crazy about spicy orientals, so this is no for me, it does indeed transport you to the far orient, not sure though I wish to smell like Indian spices, too much of everything for me. Mind you a handsome touareg might pull if off Better than me. So many Lutens end up smelling skunky on me. A niche I better leave alone.
I am not trying t o make huge statements with my perfumes, I only desire to smell pretty!

jht4060
jht4060

This is a stunningly complex and beautiful scent, perhaps best appreciated alone or in the company of your lover. It opens with a gorgeous fruit, spice, and bay accord that is unlike anything I have smelled before. This gradually transitions to a complex spicy middle. As the fruit accord wanes, the spice moves toward a rich curry-like complex. The base is a little more conventional but still lovely, a balsam, musk, and labdanum trail. I could swear there is a touch of oakmoss in there, though not listed.

This description doesn't capture the magic of this evocative and ever-changing scent. I imagine I am making mystical love in a middle eastern fruit and spice market. I smell my wrist over and over again. Christopher Sheldrake is a genius.

Aiant
Aiant

This is my first Serge Lutens perfume, and i think i fall in love since i opened the box and i saw the bottle, simply and fine in it design. Then, when i smelled it, my first sensation was a sublime transportation at the desert, dressed with a transparent tunic, in a arabic celebration, sexy and warm. Five minutes later i smelled a perfect armony of sweet notes, i remembered something about when i was child, happy moments of my family and more... So, in the next hours i smelled and smelled my arms, and still, now i can't stop to smell me, because every time the fragrance is more different, misterious, and fascinanting. Well, again thanks FRAGRANTICA and all your notes, because one more time, i buyed to blind without mistakes. Happy! :)

amelie
amelie

I have not written anything for a long time... actually wanted to write at least what remained as strong impression when I tried Arabie long ago...it's a unique fragrance that has the beauty of magic East, so mystical and rich in flavor. This is actually a gourmet way into the world of "1001 nights", a perfect blend of enchanting spices, all mixed with benzoin, which is one of my favorite note, so soothing and yet exciting world of unexplored distant worlds. Serge Lutens is a genius in a perfumery world, it's not that affordable, not even the most expensive, in fact you might say that it is quite accessible among Niche perfumes, though normally not a big fan of Niche, I'm more into classics. But I'd like to have more from SL, the only one in my wardrobe atm is Douce Amere. Arabie is mysticism written in a modern way, you almost feel the taste in your mouth while smelling Arabie on your wrist.

persefoni
persefoni

Eccentric, seriously long lasting, original, comforting, deeply inspiring... Congratulations Mr Sheldrake!!

(here in Greece, all lutens have been sold half price or less, for a couple of months now, and in some cases i bought 3 for the price of one.. i honestly believe that shops still made a profit... unfortunately they will stop importing them..)

sf2explus
sf2explus

An excellent spicy scent not the spice that smells harsh this smells smooth and sweet quite rich in the opening. I get alot of bayleaf in the scent to my nose it is one of the stronger notes with dates,orange peel almost rotten or left out for a day and mix spices. the cumin is also there but is used in just about the right amount, although can be quite srong in the first 20 minutes. This to me smells very middle eastern and asain indian desserts.

I would not use this if the temp is anything above 10 degrees celcius since the smell can be heavy and warm.
It does remind me of indian spice tea but with added indian dessert smell.The scent is heavy so expect it to last a whole day on you and the sillage is also very good. you will ony need one or two sprays and that would be plenty. Best way to describe the scent is cozy and warm. To me this would smell amazing during christmas which some other reviewer has already mentioned.
I really enjoy the scent. A must try from SL line.

Scent 9/10

Oslo-fjord
Oslo-fjord

Reminds me of British Christmas pudding. I don`t get any curry at all. Just sweet fruity, boozy, gourmandish heaven! A great oriental woody fragrance from Serge Lutens. Unisex, but lean a bit more to the masculine side of the scale.

9-na
9-na

An apothecary scent just how I love it. Though probably more so on other people or sprayed onto a card, a letter, etc.

ralucucky
ralucucky

I love this perfume. I would totally fall in love with a man wearing Arabie.

Annica
Annica

It´s so spicy that it´s almost mouthwatering. I've never been to eastern spice shops but I can imagine that this is exactly how it smells there. Arabie is too foody to my taste. Although I think that the smell is very pleasant, I can´t think of any occasion I could wear it and definitely not at work. I will finish my sample during cozy evenings when I´m on my own.

AnaCezar
AnaCezar

Very high quality perfume, long lasting, truly spicy, not the best choice for fruity and/or floral lovers. In fact, it opens kind of foody as many reviwers already said, but after 30 minutes it becomes softer and closer to what we all recognize as a perfume, despite of beeing a very unusual one. You´d better try it before buying, but then give it a chance, wait and see how it develops on your skin. You may be surprised in a good way.

lilinah

I've been wearing this again, after ignoring it since last summer. It might seem better for winter, but i just rediscovered it in my perfume drawer, and since it's rarely very warm here (Berkeley California), it doesn't smell overbearing.

I find it rather sweet, with hints of a classic men's Bay Rum eau de toilette (yes, it has bay and the cloves double for allspice berries). I love the beginning with spices atypical of most perfumes - caraway, nutmeg - and i smell star anise, not anise, which i detest.

(because so-called licorice candy is actually anise flavored, people keep confusing the sweet but dry woody scent of true licorice, which is in many Lolita Lempicka fragrances, with the overbearing smell of anise which is in the candy and many liqueurs)

But i'm not crazy about the sweetness i get from Arabie. So after i spray this on, i give myself a spritz here and there of Hermès Terre d'Hermès to dry it down a bit. Since neither is floral and both have cedar and benzoin they are compatible, and the citrus and woods in Terre d'H make Arabie a bit fresher and drier.

I recently cooked a banquet using 9th & 10th c. recipes from Baghdad during the days of Caliph Harun al-Rashid, as recorded by mid-10th c. gourmet Ibn Sayyar al-Warraq, and i had a huge bag of spices - including saffron and spikenard - in my car for days. It smelled so wonderful! So i've been wearing the combination of Arabie with a little Terre d'Hermès almost every day this week and i've been reveling in the spices.

Dreamingkat
Dreamingkat

I love it and actually it's what I feel " My perfume " .

megank4
megank4

To me, this is a sweet, slightly foody, spicy, oriental. Not my usual type of scent, but good for a change now and then. I bought a partial off Ebay and doubt I will spring for me once this is used up.

ahnafuz
ahnafuz

serge's perfumes are too oriental for me. i just sniffed two in karstadt and found them like "Itar". not my taste.
never go for a perfume just by reading reviews.

Chimp
Chimp

I love spicy orientals but i think that on this one Serge exagerated on the amount of caraway and nutmeg which can be quite cloying and unpleasant. This perfume smells like an indian dish or sauce, a kind smell i don't want in myself.

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

I only get wood, cloves and a lot spices, i smell curry on this one, and i don´t want to smell like that, sorry!

glorious1
glorious1

I've read all these reviews. I am testing it tonight. I am loving it! Rich, sweet but not too sweet. I must say I adore spicy orientals. This is it. I have to decide if I'd spend the $ for this........but I certainly understand that not everybody will appreciate this masterpiece. It is a little foody but it's keeping me occupied and enjoying it.
I love patchouli, myhrre, and all the resins.
I have to give this a lot of baloons here!!

To boot I live in Florida! Not what you'd imagine I'd wear but ....I go for the distinctive and memorable orientals.

jrichart
jrichart

Arabie de Serge Lutens es para mi la quinta esencia de lo que debe ser considerado como verdadero perfume oriental. Toda una amalgama de frutas confitadas salpicadas con especias como el clavo y el comino para finalizar en la sensualidad de las maderas del cedro y el sándalo. Arabie junto con Ambre Sultan y Chergui son los únicos perfumes de Serge Lutens que he probado, pero prometo probar más aunque creo que no me compraré ninguno por su alto precio me conformaré con muestras. Es increible aunque parezca una frivolidad como una fragancias de Serge Lutens puede convertirse en todo un ejercicio para la imaginación, y no lo digo por ensalzar a Serge Lutens sino porque lo siento así. Resumiendo, Serge Lutens es un verdadero conocedor de las materías primas de oriente y un perfecto orquestador de las mismas, incluso los grandes orientales de la perfumería de diseñador como son Habit Rouge, Egoiste, Jaipur, etc, palidecen ante estos perfumes de Serge Lutens que he mencionado. Cinco estrellas para este Arabie.

fanny
fanny

Shalimar-like, even heavier if that is possible, which should be a grave warning for me to stay clear.
Still, I wanted to give it a try:

The opening is way too cumin, too sharp and too suffocating for me. I get no cedar at all (which is a favourite of mine). Something begins to nag in the back of my brain: I have smelled this before and the memory can't be very pleasant..
After about an hour licorice comes through with a touch of bitter-sweet mandarin-peel, the sandal stayes sharp.
After 2 hours: the sharpness is gone, small traces of licorice linger on together with lots of very dark myrrhe.
All of a sudden I remember this smell: when I was a kid I was carsick many times. Especially when a car was brand new, you could bet we had to stop alongside the road 2 or 3 times on a trip.

Arabie, alas, is not for me. I am going to scrub and have a nice splash of something fresh !

KatyK
KatyK

I love this gorgeous spicy fragrance! For me this is Christmas in a bottle and certainly best in really cold weather. It brings the warmth of spices and dried fruits on a desert wind from Morocco. The opening is what scares a few people I think, when the spices are at their strongest but it quickly mellows and the sweetness of the fruits makes it delicious. It does have a heady booziness to it but that also dries down to a deep rich sandalwood that lasts forever. A wonderful scent that deserves a little patience and will reward you a warm glow on the coldest, greyest of days.

Jafer
Jafer

Actually smell delicious, but provided that they are like the smell of cloves and strength. In Alibdaih smelled bother me, but now adore crazy

sky76sky
sky76sky

I am not a big fan of cumin notes in scents....or rather I am not a fan of BIG cumin notes in scents. Kingdom was just too troublesome & stomach-churning for my tastes.

Luckily, Arabie is not a cumin-criminal...just a pseudo-exotic, candied fruit & spice-bomb with good bone structure & a sweet tooth.

Scent-pictures float by: apricots in brandy, orange peel & spices warmed gently before the wine is added for mulling, pot-pourri, opening the lid of my spice box (complete with rogue, ancient, crystallised raisins....when will I remember to use them?!), wardrobe-wood (that peculular peppery/dusty old wood scent with a touch of mouse), my sweet Christmas fig chutney...I reckon that Arabie would taste delicious with a nice blue cheese!

Arabie's fume family is easy to trace: Aziyade tucking into a tub of candied fruits & peel, Kenzo Elephant clinging to my scarf & tinkering with the fruiter edge of XS Extreme girl. On my skin it is fruits & spice & all things nice dolloped on in bucket loads (Arabie is not shy).

I like bold & spicy fragrances, so I enjoyed the big personality & fierce opener that greeted me. My old RE teacher wore something like this - big & bosomy, loud & dramatic with crimson lips & jet black hair, a huge smile or a snarl always accompanying her sharp wit.

Arabie has strength & will last all day, bowing out with a sweet amber sigh. Maybe that's what grates: the sugar content. I think I need a diabetic version! Keep the spice & chuck in some more parched & resinous woods to even out all the dried dates & treacly jam.

All-in-all a strong like from me....but I can't help thinking that Lutens went easy on his magic faery-dust here.

virga
virga

“It’s Serge Lutens, so of course it’s great” doesn’t work for me, sorry. Arabie may be very rich and complex scent, but it isn’t attractive to me at all. Every time I smell Arabie I see a big woman in a big hot kitchen cooking curry and other kinds of spicy dishes all day long. Do I want to smell like this? Well no, I don’t.

Majesty
Majesty

When I first tried Arabie,I hated that smell so much..It reminded me of a dish that we have here in Greece,it is called ''Kokkinisto'',meat,red wine and tomato sauce with lots of spices in it.I dislike it so I immediately disliked Arabie. That day,this smell stayed on my wrist for hours and hours,I didn't really pay attention until I decided to test it again. Arabic cuisine now with lots of curry and spices. I adored it so much that I immediately bought a bottle! Arabie is so rich,so full of spices that really burns your nose for a few seconds.Very warm,almost like hot sauce! I call it 'my radiator',it always keeps me warm during cold months!Arabie is like being on fire!! It became my signature scent and it will stay forever!Lasting power is very good!Arabie is a love-hate perfume. Pour moi Arabie est 'lumiere,un merveille de la parfumerie,l'utopie'

delphine67
delphine67

the smell of this reminds me of a mix between kenzo jungle elephant and opium.
Its a warm scent just like a arabian souk can smell.

"This smells familiar" was the first phrase out of my mouth upon applying Serge Lutens ARABIE. Then it only remained to determine what, precisely, I was reminded of by this intoxicating—or is it suffocating?—perfume. With the help of the many able reviewers below, I have deduced that ARABIE approximates a collision of my grandmother's brandy-soaked dark fruitcake (not the wimpy light kind, but the one that is black as night, filled with raisins and dates and pecans and candied maraschino cherries and citrus rind, and so drenched in brandy that you could actually catch a buzz from eating a slice) and morrocan couscous with a very strong curry piled up on top. Or perhaps my grandmother, her sight failing as she grew older, reached for the cumin instead of the cinnamon as she prepared her cake?

What an odd assortment of rich and dark notes! But is it perfume? I think that, in the end, the combination of the dark, boozy fruits and the cumin-rich curry just puts me over the top. Similar to the way I'd feel if I feasted on a huge curry dinner and then my host insisted that I eat a fat slab of fruitcake before permitting me to leave. As the flavors mingle in my aching stomach, I begin to feel like a pot of chutney simmering on the stove, thick gurgling bubbles fighting their way slowly to the surface before popping. My speech begins to slur. My head is spinning, and it seems that I might actually hurl. There is simply too much going on in this kaleidoscopic culinary composition. In a word: No. De trop!

If ever there were a "try before you buy", ARABIE would be that. Does cumin mingle well with your skin? Spritz on this powerful potion and observe your friends' behavior. Do they appear to be sitting farther away from you than usual?

LaPetite
LaPetite

Horrible ! I can't get with most SL perfumes, and i think most of them are overrated , mostly because of their overrated price ( when you pay something that expensive you have to be convinced it's good)
I don't see the connection with arabia at all , to me it's more like "Spice shop in India"
It is as spicy as Kenzo Jungle , but as much I love Jungle, as much i can't stand this one , don't know why . By the way funny that some think they're alike whereas so many people hate Jungle and so many people love that one :-/
Better on men imo , even if gender perfumes is against SL philosophy ...
NB: I'm NOT writing negative reviews to seem different or for trolling, this is really what i think deep inside.

jtd
jtd

Arabie makes me understand the attraction of the dessert or gourmand fragrance, a category that otherwise doesn’t captivate me. Granted, Arabie is spared from the gourmand category by its emphasis on woods, but it is also sweeter than many gourmands, so the distinction seems weak.

Yes, Arabie is over the top: too much spice, way too sweet, too many dried fruits macerated in syrup. All true. But isn’t it lovely? Applied with a moderate hand it is my favorite sweet fragrance. I can’t say that there is any particular element that actually balances the sweetness, but the benzoin twists the sweetness a bit and makes it appealing.

elderflowers
elderflowers

The Captain Nemo of scents – so very, very misunderstood. Also, in my opinion, so poorly named.

When I was a child, my home city – in bog-standard England in the early 80's, not some remote Moroccan fastness – had a chemist's shop that still smelled pretty much like this. You could buy saltpetre in there, and if you requested oil of spike, no-one would ask what the heck you were talking about. All the old-school merchandise was kept in cedarwood drawers. Heavy on the nutmeg, heavy on the wood; the scent of esoteric resins, and expensive dust; the scent of sweet, harmful, refined, adult knowledge (but not sex, not at all).

And even this is a very poor imitation of what I fervently hope to be the true model of Arabie: an apothecary's den of the C18, when nutmeg bid fair to be the most expensive substance in the whole world, and dandies carried it on the hip, in ostentatious little silver cages. I like to think that if you cornered Jonathan Swift in a coffee house, he would have smelled a bit like this – intelligent, complicated and bitter, and coming on stronger than you could possibly believe.

I humbly suggest that Arabie, whilst a complex scent, has a definite tendency to be strong on the nutmeg. Love nutmeg? Gotta get this, IMO, but apply with a light hand. Hate nutmeg? Avoid Arabie as you would the assorted Plagues of Egypt. No compromise is possible with this one.

Singabera
Singabera

It's really anti-downer, very warm, very special perfume, I feel the notes of dried plums and it reminds me narghile tabacco smell. Love it.

I adore this fragrance, although it did take some getting used to. Arabie is one of those deliciously strong and potent spicy orientals that you can't stop admiring. It's also borderline gourmand, having a fascinating syrupy accord that really adds to its appeal.

At first, Arabie reminds me of clove cigarettes. A little smokey, aromatic and strong. I was intrigued by the top notes even though they burnt my nose hairs. The dense spices really enveloped me in something I can only describe as being a guilty pleasure.

In time, Arabie takes on an interesting sweetness, somewhat like the scent of golden syrup and dried fruits. Perhaps a little boozy at times too. It reminds me a little of Annick Goutal's Ambre Fetiche, just a less incensey version. The more I smell Arabie, the more complex the composition. There are so many notes to discover.

The scent is mostly deep, rich and heavy on the spices, although occasionally the boozy woods take over. The longevity and sillage are great, definite quality, there's no doubt about it. It's quite an addictive olfactory experience, one that I'm glad I took a chance with.

Arabie, for me personally, is something I enjoy but would probably never wear. You have to be the right person for this fragrance to really shine.

lilinah

I was torn between buying Arabie and Daim Blond - very different from each other and i loved the leathery dryness of DB - but Arabie was so dominant that i went with it.

What i smelled first was star anise and cinnamon, although i don't see those first two spices listed, along with sweet benzoin and vanilla-y tonka. Gradually the scent became sweeter and sweeter - not my usual preference, as i adore the vegetal woody dry smell of vetiver - but the intriguing blend of spices held my interest. The sweetness didn't smell fruity to me, but i can see how it might to others. Fortunately it did not smell like what i think of as gourmand, an immature blend of fruit and candy. In Arabie the scent is intensely spicy. The dry down remains sweet but at last the woods emerge, although subtly. I hope with more wearing the woods become stronger, to balance the sweetness.

My daughter said it smelled heavy and like the incense a Tarot reader would use - and that wasn't a compliment. But i love incense and spices, so i'm happy.

kdlehr
kdlehr

My very first Serge Lutens. Never ever will I enter a duty free shop . This is the scent of heaven. This fragrance is to me what cat nip must be to a cat.
Irrestitable , delicious, cant stop applying it. totally addictive
Serge Lutens , I love you

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

This is a challenging perfume. It flies out in forceful style from the bottle like a date and leather soup. It absolutely reflects Lutens country of residence (Morroco) and reminds me of the kind of souks which peddle traditional medicine. Dried crows, snakes in jars and spices in sacks on the floor all all here in this dizzying blend.

tristanlavoie
tristanlavoie

Rich, sophisticated, spicy, unique and so delicious.
This Serge Lutens is a killer.

You need a strong personnality and special behaviour to feel confident with this fragrance.

Only one spray on the chest is more than enough for the entire day. Sillage and longevity are way better than the average eau de toilette available on the market.

For those unfamiliar with this odor, it smells a bit like Gucci Envy for men with a small hint of sweetness and cinnamon.

And no, it's not only a fragrance for winter, if you have the personnality to wear it, try it out during summer and you'll see how magical this Arabie can be.

A real compliments getter.

But, be carefull during application. One spray max, two if you want to be recongnized half a mile away.

Let this Serge Lutens bringing you to a wonderful journey.

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

This is the most exotic perfume I've ever tried. Initially it's pure Christmas pudding on me, but thankfully after half an hour dries down to a wonderful mixture of spices, a little heavy on the clove perhaps. I couldn't wear this regularly, but this really is an exuberant scent.

Ok, let's break dogmas: I don't like Serge Lutens!

Just kidding, but I surely don't like Christopher Sheldrake (besides his creations for Chanel and a bunch of others) , just because most of his fragrances are really "too much". Too Rich, Too Sweet, Too complex, Too dry, Too heavy....Too Much!

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

Arabie is just the way I remember it from when I tried it before - way heavy on the coriander , cumin, and dried fruits at first, a boldly foody blast that reminds me of walking into an old-fashioned Indian grocery store. You have to give Arabie credit for letting it all hang out and just be itself.

As the initial spices dry down, the sweet, fruit and resin notes emerge, slowly taking it out of the spice drawer and into the gourmand perfume arena. After an hour of resinous fruitcake, it becomes sweet, violet-like, and powdery. This phase persists for many hours, gradually fading away into into mild powder and myrrh.

For the first few hours, sillage is tremendous, gradually quieting down into moderation. The scent lasts at least 12 hours, more on clothing. Arabie is a different kind of powerhouse scent, wonderful if you like strong culinary spices and sweet fruit, also wonderful if you like mild, sweet, powdery scents. It has a combination of personalities to please or displease just about anybody. I like it, but I can see how people who are anti-spice would not.

Happyme2009
Happyme2009

I only have a decant of this... and it's very intriguing, very "lutenesque", even though I don't find it beautiful. To me it has a very distinct burnt note, very smoky and spicy in a foody kind of way. It's dense, rich, exotic, oriental, I think it would fit a belly dancer perfectly, but I am not that kind... I will surely however enjoy this for those rare winter nights when I want to drink some red wine boiled with cloves, cinnamon and honey to warm up...and eat some nice, old, stinky, cheese with it.... :) Well, enough said! If somebody was to give me a bottle I could learn to love it, until then I only sniff my decant when I need a break from all my florals.

armchair sailor
armchair sailor

Extraordinarily complex, rich, balanced. One of the best perfumes I've ever smelled, but I'll never wear it, it's too gourmand.
Perfect if you're going to dinner in an arabic restaurant, tho.

southernbelleinseattle
southernbelleinseattle

On me this turns a little bitter. actually a lot bitter. to be honest, I mainly smell cumin with a little nutmeg and something sharp & bitter I can't place - maybe the benzoin? There is a little of the dried fruits peeking out, but you have to put your nose right up to it and inhale deeply to get it - if you were just walking past all someone would smell would be bitter cumin nutmeg and something medicinal (clove?) that screams out in a harsh kind of way. somehow this scent doesn't "blend" well on me. not the warm quirky spicy scent I was looking for :-(

teardrop
teardrop

I love winter,only becouse I can wear such fragrances. I really love Arabie, it has nothing too much. Cinnamon, cloves and dried fruites, this is what I can smell on me,although my mum says that I smell like just baked Christmas cookie and for my husbend this one smells like medecine. But all I know that this Christmas and all the winter time I will use Serge Lutens Arabie:)

enigma_33
enigma_33

I saw people here saying Arabie is like fruitcake. On me it is not! It is very herbal and spicy - I cannot smell any wood, either. The smell I think of is stew - a vegetable food with lots of sauce. I think it is a scent for mature woman, not young girl like I am.

floriana
floriana

Arabie is only Lutens which I can't wear.
Composition is very good balanced, but fragrance is too heavy, too rich too spicy too sweet, 'cause I have impresion that one note draw other.
On my skin smells gourmand, reminds me on plate of exotic meal.
But I could understand why people love it.

Cereza
Cereza

Today I tested Arabie by Serge Lutens. Had a little on my wrist and a little bit of my boyfriends. He sniffed his wrist and said - it is really unisex? I can definetly agree with him as Arabie is so sweet that it could take a lot of courage for a men to wear it. Then was my turn to sniff my wrist. I was dissapointed at first, because the smell seemed awful, my boyfriend even said - your skin opens something disgusting on this fragrance. After an hour the scent settles down and is very pleasant, but way too sweet for my likening. Reminds me a lot of turkish delights which I have never enjoyed. Overall - I can appreciate it's beauty as the scent is very complex, unique and powerful and Serge has captured Arabie in bottle, but I can't imagine myself wearing this.

njdeb
njdeb

This is one amazing whirlwind of a scent. There are so many aromas swirling in this perfume. Sweet stewed fruits, rich resins, warm spices and something that somehow evokes the image of a wild nocturnal animal in a dark forest. I imagine that what I am picking up is reminiscent of the natural animal notes used in classic perfumery – things like ambergris, civet and natural musk. I've always wondered what the term animalic meant, and I really think I get a hint of that quality in this perfume – it somehow smells alive.

This scent is dark and exotic and really a fabulous creation. It also has this intriguing quality in that, when sprayed on my wrist, it smells different in the center (where I imagine the spray hits the heaviest) than on the sides of my wrist where the scent is not just fainter but of a different character. The “edge” of the scent is somehow more ethereal than the dense center - with a powdery sweetness and a hint of something vaguely like calamine lotion or coca cola.

Fascinating though it is, I'm not sure it is something I could wear - it seems a bit too masculine for me. I can see this being intoxicating on a man.

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

I appreciate the uniqueness of this fragrance, but unfortunately, i will never be able to wear it. On me, it's not sweet, but very spicy and warm (i get caraway, bay leaf and something nutty); the entire composition reminds me of fruits my grandma used to dry in the attic and used them later to make compote. This perfume is uncommon and interesting, but it's way to spicy for me. I might give it another try some time later, but I definitely wouldn't invest in a bottle.

Update: after some time has passed, i keep sniffing my wrist and now it reminds me of glüh wein))it's good and weird at the same time and i'm trying so badly to love this, but i still can't imagine myself wearing it(((

guest_:)
guest_:)

those members were talking rude and offending about other members in the middle of the forum, but in their own language, without mentioning names, cause names are understood by all. Such dirt!

Adriana_87
Adriana_87

It smells to foody,i couldnt wear it.But it is well done and good notes but it is the foody thing.It smells like arabian sweets with lots of sugar and nuts,nothing for me

sfonativeboy
sfonativeboy

Rich, spicy, sweet, heavy fragrance
FIGS, CANDIED ORANGES AND HONEY!!
I smell like BAKLAVA!!

I 'll try another SERGE LUTENS
fragrance!

Sultan
Sultan

the fragrance is so unique and interesting. I'm putting it on my arm and enjoying the kaleidoscope of notes sparkling one after another. however I wouldn't wear it even in a cold winter time. too sweet, too spicy.

cloyd42
cloyd42

A real disappointment for me. The opening was delightful but it immediately settled into a thin faux-spicy aroma that had no depth at all. Smell is very artificial, like a Christmas room spray. Stays forever (good if you like it). I had to wash my hands multiple times to remove it.

the_good_life
the_good_life

I saw her in the kasbah between the spice merchants' cries and the smell of fresh fig cakes. Her eyes read me the verses of a lovedrunk troubadour and her hands fed me the sweet meat of fleshy dates. I drank her wine and she devoured me like an iftar at Ramadan's end.

poppy_vanderbilt
poppy_vanderbilt

One of the best fragrances i have ever tried...i use to hate spicy or oriental or musky patchouli scents..but tastes change....when i first smelled this i thought it smelled good i thought it smelled like a little "new age" boutique i use to go to to buy candles...the boutique was filled with authentic candles and spices and incense from all over the world...this smells exactly like this boutique straight from the bottle...but i didn't think it was "wearable" for a person...one day i decided to actually put it on my skin and i couldn't believe how beautiful this was...i also couldn't believe how versatile it was..i could mix it with a floral fruity or a gourmand or a citrus scent and it just got better...i have been married to my husband for 8 years...i have been through many many fragrances without a word from him..i thought maybe he just wasn't interested in fragrance or couldn't smell them on me...then i put this on... he said..."WOW...you smell good ..what is that smell????"...so i'm sold on this.

I also want to add this is a niche fragrance this is not for everyone...but if you like the thought of patchouli and all spice and earthy incense you might really love this

guest_guest_haagendaz
guest_guest_haagendaz

Oh dear lord have mercy .. this is loaded to the brim with powerful synthetics which radiate indian kitchen herbs and loads of sugar and honey. And its relentless. This 'oriental' just keeps on going with no change in dynamics. I would stick with the classic orientals from Guerlain et al for a less repulsive oriental.

cbstarker
cbstarker

This is the recipe for a delicious and thirst-quenching drink I like to make late on a summer afternoon as the sun gathers momentum and begins its dive towards the horizon.

1. Fill a glass with ice.
2. Pour the glass half-full with Pernod or similar liqueur.
3. Top off with club soda.
4. Add a splash of Angostura bitters
5. Settle into a hammock under the broad leaves of a catalpa tree, relax, and enjoy yourself.

If this is not possible, try SL's Arabie. It too is a rereshing and leisurely way to take it easy on a hot and sunny summer day.

ferrari
ferrari

Dried fruits with spices, acidic and light wood note. That reminds me acidic of Cartier Le Baiser du Dragon and Shiseido Feminite Du Bois.

Com[ote of prunes and other dried fruit with palmful southern spices. After the boiled compote , you pour it into the wooden carafe. And we have Arabie.

Auguszta
Auguszta

This is the best oriental fragrance I have ever smelled, no question. I agree with the spicy fruitcake comparison, but there's so much more to it than that.
Like Rebella said, it takes you on a journey. Wearing this I feel instantly transported to Morocco, a place I love so much, but not just to a Moroccan sweet shop - it takes you through the whole marketplace.
The scent is dominated by the candied fruit, the orange peel and the spices (mainly clove and nutmeg, hence the holiday association), but it also has a strangely dark and mysterious quality. That's exactly why it won't please those who are only in it for the sweetness. It doesn't stop there. It has way too much character.
It isn't quite as sweet and heavy as you'd imagine it to be (e.g. Douce Amere and Louve are much sweeter), but it sure is dense. It's rich and generous, warm and enveloping, it's very much alive and a profusion of all things good. If you don't appreciate this kind of generosity, you'd better stay away from it:)

EternalSunshine7
EternalSunshine7

I agree with TESSTURE. Very spice-cake like or gingerbread baking in the oven. It surely is a reminder of mouth-watering holiday yummies being prepared for our gracious bellies. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I can wear it. It faintly reminds me of the scented spiced pear candles and air freshner that I purchased during the holidays. It's nice...but I don't know if I want to smell like this.

Smells like gingerbread or spice cake. Gorgeous, edible holiday food scent. Very expensive, but such a wonderful scent for cold weather.

F_A
F_A

Very rich, spicy, sweet, heavy fragrance. I could smell grilled caramelized peanuts first, then the smell turned into the smell of spices market somewhere down in Egypt. One thing that scared me a bit is color. When i sprayed it on the white testing paper, it left a bright yeallowish brown trace. Would it leave traces on my clothes either?...

rebella
rebella

This is one of the most amazing fragrances I´ve ever tried. It takes me on a journey and enjoy it so much. It takes me to the church in my hometown way up in northern Sweden... The tick churchwalls, the brasschandelers, the sunbeams trough the churchwindows warming up the woodbenches... in my head the fragrance of dried fruits are very like the smell of funeralcarnations... I must be a very easily affected person, because this fragrance have almost hallucinogen effects on me.

I havn´t tried as many niche and exclusive perfumes as I want yet, but I find that they have one thing in common (so far) they make me feel and imagine a lot of pleasant things. They may not smell better than mainstream perfumes, or last longer... but they have this amazing emotional quality... I want moore! I´ve only have a small sample... and Serge Lutens perfumes is so expensiv and hard to get... oooh why???

Aeternitas
Aeternitas

The best oriental woody fragrance I have smelled for a woman. It's not too heavy, but it's strong enough. I can detect the smell of clove and orange peels ,with some cedar and sandalwood. This one worked on my skin nicely, but after a while it started to smell like a spicy pumpkin pie on my arm. That's okay with me because I love the smell of pumpkins and spice, but I wish it would stay on me the way it does at first :p

Arabie by Serge Lutens 3.74 out of 5 based on 665 ratings and 126 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Serge Lutens Arabie fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Serge Lutens Arabie, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Arabie by Serge Lutens. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Arabie by Serge Lutens represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.