Designers » R S » Floral « Groups

Bas de Soie Serge Lutens for women

Bas de Soie Serge Lutens for women
dislike

Bas de Soie Serge Lutens for women Pictures

Bas de Soie, meaning “silk stockings”, launches in June 2010. It is a floral perfume with notes of hyacinth and powdery iris. Available in 50 ml bottles.

iris Hyacinth Galbanum Spicy Notes Musk

Metal
Silences

Bas de Soie Fragrance Reviews

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

Another strange one from the Lutens range..

I think I prefer Lutens in rich oriental or floral absolute perfume mode - i.e. Feminite du Bois, A La Nuit, Chergui, La Fille de Berlina and Santal Majascule.

It's all personal taste, but I find Bas de Soie oddly eggy. Is that just me? There's a sulphurous note that reminds me of the residue left behind after cleaning a plate that's had scrambled egg on it. Some kind of protein-like residue

This must be some form of musk, because I detect it in smaller amounts in Parfum Sacre by Caron, and Seville a L'aube by L'artisan

I like the woody/floral tones, but this eggy note lingers for me

I'm interested in all the Serge Lutens perfumes, since they often explore new territory, so again it's just down to what you like ultimately

Fragrantlife
Fragrantlife

I can't believe I never reviewed one of my favourite perfumes before!

I guess having my 10 year old daughter secretly spraying it on herself, and then commenting on how it smells like Maman, and how beautiful the scent is, made me pause. I said to her: "this is a bitter and difficult perfume to like; it's not fruity, nor floral, nor sweet. What do you like about it?" She said:" it actually smells sweet to me. It is just beautiful and I know I don't have kids' taste".

Ok. Maybe what she likes is the smell of of Maman. But still, even then, BdS is a stretch for most children.

So now, I feel compelled to write a review: BdS is one of my favourite fragrances.

I am odd that way: I like über bitter fragrances and I guess a combination of galbanum, hyacinth (bluebell) and iris is my dream come true. The slightly rooty, yet somewhat powdery and sweet bitterness makes me swoon. It does warm up on the skin, and looses the first shock of full frontal metallic and bitter assault, but it never becomes a warm, embracing perfume.

In this respect, it reminds me of Mitsouko -- minus the peach and the dry woody/mossy smell. I know these two are not the same, but somehow, they strike the same olfactory chord.

BdS always retains its aloof, sophisticated and intellectual allure... I see a beautiful and composed woman serenely writing with an ink pen in a library full of musty books.

This is a love or hate affair. My daughter and I happen to love it.

Amandacat
Amandacat

Fresh spring fragrance. Strong yet modest floral hyacynth and iris. Well composed.

A good non offensive fragrance for work that stays with you through the day

Lana148
Lana148

Bas de Soie smells like powdery, musty floral. You can definitely smell hyacinth & iris in it. It gets more metallic green towards the dry-down.

This is a bit serious, no fun fragrance, a bit deep and bitter. I hate to say this, but it associates to me with something old.

I love iris fragrances but this is not one of them.

Mary-Jayne
Mary-Jayne

I really like this! I was a little nervous about testing as I had read that hyacinth can be a difficult note and I worried that hyacinth + galbanum + musk might be too much. But I have been trying to sample all different types of iris scents recently, having recently fallen for iris in a big way. Then the other week I tried on E.Coudray Jacinthe and Rose and was surprised to really love it, and I adore Heeley's L'Amandiere so I went ahead and gave this a try.

The opening is quite bitter, I guess from the galbanum and hyacinth but within a few minutes the more bitter note subsides and the hyacinth comes through more strongly. I enjoy this it feels very lush with just a hint of bite remaining. It really feels like pushing your nose against a hyacinth bloom, it has a moist, lush damp feeling (does that make sense?Looks awful written down, I mean it in a good way!). About an hour or so in the galbanum seems to take its leave almost entirely leaving just a hint, and the iris and musk come fore. I really like this, it smells very unlike anything else I have tried. I don't really get the silk stockings thing in honesty. Although I guess I could imagine an aged pathe video reel of a woman sat at her vanity putting on her stockings, and she could quite feasibly be wearing this scent...I'm being taken in my marketing again aren't I?!

Anyway, I like this. My husband dislikes the opening, finding it "acrid and bitter", but he thinks the heart and drydown are pleasant. In fact, he told me this afternoon that I smelled like "bluebells, chocolates and coffee grounds"!

Decent projection of about 4-5 feet, excellent longevity for me of around 7-8 hours, it may have gone on longer but I resprayed at this point!

boutonstendres
boutonstendres

This green definitely has upbeat vigor but the dry-down heads into pungent green grass territory. This smells like wanderlust without the lust. Gets uglier as it progresses.

Lilian
Lilian

Bleak day, late fall. The sky is too jaded to don any color, stuck somewhere between pale blue and gray. The trees are empty, breathing fog, cold and moist.

Cold silk over young skin. Her body lotion and icy, faint perspiration transferred to it over the past couple of hours. It's going to rain soon. If only.

Vision of spring: intensely blue filed of hyacinths, with thick, milky, poisonous petals and leaves.

Miss LaCreevy
Miss LaCreevy

Austere and lovely. Powdery and metallic. Earthy and heavenly. Contrasts and harmony. Intriguing.
Not wearable for everyday, but I love to have it in my collection.

ruski-lady
ruski-lady

It is amazing how noses and tastes differ. This is a love at first sight for me. I must confess that I do love green scents and this is very very green indeed. Earthy, dry, not a hint of sweetness to be sensed. This is roots, earth, leaves, the whole damp dark garden. Not a blossom in sight. I agree that it may come across as cold, austere, especially in the first hour or so. As time goes by it warms up on my skin and is less stringent. I disagree with the reviews that say sillage is minimal. I think it radiates quite nicely.

I had tried other serge luten fragrances before and none of them really wowed me. This one has. There really is a serge lutens fragrance for everyone.

naapio
naapio

I have a mini Bas de Soie and it's not something I reach for very often, actually this might be the first time I'm testing it so liberally and purposefully. It has this strange greenhouse aura, like a florist shop/greenhouse I have nearby. I just visited it a few days before Christmas to buy the traditional hyacinth to my uncle and at first it reminds me of the winter florist smells; in Finland that mostly means hyacinth and maybe some general green stems from tulips and the like all wrapped ip in moist, balmy steam in comparison to outside darkness and coldness. Bas de Soie is a moist, almost wet scent but definitely not aquatic or cool. I guess fairies would smell like this, pearly gossamer wings backdropped with green moist moss and the eerily silent, dripping, bare branches. Beautiful and delicate but scary as hell.

EvaMG
EvaMG

Carnal and nostalgic. A remarkable,original milky,sensual hyacinth. Kinky,skanky. A modern private scent.

temporalgrace
temporalgrace

"Silk Stockings" is an apt description of this fragrance. It makes me think of a pin up girl in the 1950s; she has a drawer full of very expensive and classy lingerie and that drawer smells exactly like this. While the hyacinth still doesn't smell like the ones that always bloomed in my grandparents' yard at Easter, it comes closer than any of the others I've tried. The fragrance isn't really sexy on its own per se, but it calls to mind sexy garments or the tiniest glimpse of a beautiful woman undressing in the evening through a window. Bas de Soie has that vibe you get from classic fragrances, but surprisingly the scent itself doesn't have a mature connotation. As it dries down, it warms and the plasticine quality vanishes, leaving a smooth, classy, even retro fragrance; a hand brushing lightly down a woman's bare back, and a light dusting of expensive makeup powder. This is a warmth I wasn't expecting; in fact, I wasn't expecting to like this fragrance at all. Well done, Mr. Lutens. You have won my heart after all!

MLK
MLK

It took me a while to appreciate this fragrance. I loved the top notes but then hated the drydown. I always give fragrances a few tries before I put them in the "no way" pile. I'm glad that I was persistent with this perfume because I love it now and my nose has become accustomed to the powdery dry down. It is one of my favourite Lutens and I have many including, Feminite Du Bois, Daim Blonde and of course 5 o'clock au Gingembre and La Fille de Berlin.
I often mix Bas de Soie with Vitriol d'oeillet for a more stronger flowery scent - I find on my skin that these two Luten's fragrances really compliment each other and I have received numerous compliments.

Cereza
Cereza

"Bas de Soie" is not a pleasant floral perfume, I clearly see why so many have pressed the "dislike" button. Hyacinth it self is a hard flower, I never understood why people like it - not the looks, nor the scent of them have ever appealed to me.

Even though many have said that this is a cold fragrance, "Bas de Soie" to me smells very warm, it also has a very distinctive fecal and blood note which makes the composition unbearable for me.
As it sits fairly close to skin I did not scrub off so I was rewarded with a beautiful drydown - sweet and clean musk with very natural hyacinth in nice moderation. It's like entering a clean bedroom with fresh sheets and hyacinth flowers on top of them.

"Bas de Soie" lasted around 6 hours on my skin. I would call this a perfume for the brave as you do have to suffer trough the first 4 hours before having something actually nice on your skin.

PolarBear2
PolarBear2

I dont smell anything metallic.....there is a green earthy scent, and then something animalic.... its great ! It is very French though. So if you want easy to wear perfumes, this is not for you. This is for an edgy woman. I am a fashionable lawyer and I love it.

MrsLetterO
MrsLetterO

I've been meaning to do this one for ages. A student got us all doing Myers Briggs personality tests the other week, and it got me thinking, when we love like and dislike, fragrances start to seem like people. If so, Bas de Soie is my nemesis. Masquerading as a perfume, this is more sly than Secretions, because at least with that you know what you're getting (see picture on bottle). Bas is secretions with Hiris on top. A horrible wolf in sheep's clothing. I've said it before, "There's something about Mary"... and Mary's hair is the smell of Bas de Soie. Cruelly sprayed on me by smelling_gr8 in Nero's in House of Fraser. Traumatised ever since (you know I still love you sweetpea).

fazalcheema
fazalcheema

the immediate opening reminds me of Lancome's Magie Noire opening but any similarity ends here

aletheaborealis
aletheaborealis

A scent I sprayed liberally from a generous sample received from the Palais Royale boutique during a trip to France now virtually takes me back to those cobblestone pathways, Rue de St. Germain and underground Metros at one sniff.

Bas de Soie is a steely buttery iris amidst a few drops of galbanum with pale hyacinth petals as delicate as cobwebs, chilling but comfortable, like slipping into soft grey silk sheets on a cold night by yourself.

To me, this is the essence of Parisian streets in the wintertime how could I resist? :)

elsa70
elsa70

I don't detect any of the metallic and the Orris is very powdery on me. That coupled with the galbanum makes it a perfect dry, cool summer scent - as though I were oblivious to the heatwaves in Italy and I never ever sweat. Unfortunately, my 4-year-old daughter says it's headache inducing to her: she's a straightforward citrus gal. So I can only wear it when she's not around.

IsaIsabella
IsaIsabella

A beautiful green floral with explosive sillage and incredible longevity.
When smelt from a distance, it is crisp, green, earthy and refreshing.
When smelt up close, you get a dizzyingly metallic vibe to it.

I spilt 2-3ml that day because I failed to screw the cap on properly. Now my entire warddrobe smells like bais de soie. That's how strong it is.

A galbanum heavy chypre with lovely iris incense and a soft velvety hyacinth. Lovely, light, green. Sample before buying, though: It's a cool, dark green that won't agree with everyone

nastyamason
nastyamason

Very nice scent of hyacinth and iris, a bit startling at first but pleasant nevertheless. However, it was the drydown that amazed me. It was so reminiscent of Bond No. 9 Chinatown, I was sure that my child's therapist who came to our house is wearing Chinatown. When she said no, I thought my son got into my perfumes yet again and sprayed Chinatown. This was not the case and that is when I realized it was Bas de Soie that I sprayed the night before! I know that the notes are totally different, that is why I am amazed! This is not a love but close enough.

Nosina
Nosina

Bas de soie seems to be a cold very green iris with a plastic/synthetic touch that literally reminds me of nylon stockings (the English translation of bas de soie). There is something that creates a social barrier and makes a woman "intouchable" (do not touch me).It has the spirit of Chanel number 19 in an even colder version without any flowers other than iris and hyacinth and much less galbanum. If you love discet green scents and iris and hate gourmand perfums this is what you should try. It is basically a skin scent that does not radiate farer than an inch but last more than 5 hours. It makes a very elegant impression of the first hyacints pearcing the snow under a crisp morning sun.

BillyC28
BillyC28

VERY powdery, kind of metallic. Most likely best on a refined woman. Can definetely get the hyacinth and iris note. Not a favorite, but admire it like all serge lutens.

antfarm
antfarm

Bas de Soie perfectly embodies a society woman of past decades with a perfectly coiffed, classy poodle-cut hairdo. It is elegant, powdery, floral, and sharp. Somewhat bitchy and defintely no-nonsense.

The woman I imagine wearing this perfume is in front of her vanity pulling on her stockings for a night out with her husband, and her kids are making too much noise. All she has to do is give them "that look" and they instantly quiet down. I like this, but I don't want to wear it.

Yiyiblue
Yiyiblue

This was applied from a sample dauber tube, not sprayed. At first I smelled the hyacinth, all of the plant, as if someone had pulled it up by its roots and then lopped off the top and stuck it under my nose. After thirty minutes I am getting a softer hyacinth with iris peeking out from underneath. And now the musk is starting to show up, but the green is still there.

This is a soft, powdery scent with a warm base. A stunner. I will definitely wear this again.

Update: I used this again today and can still smell it after five hours. It is now a delicate musk with a spicy overtone. very long lasting, although more of a skin scent at this point. A full bottle of this may be in my future.

Violettera
Violettera

I am a big fun of Mr Lutens but this one, I can't even smell it. It's very metallic, almost acid in the opening and then all I get is something aloof and empty. I will come back to it as soon as I overcome the initial shock.

irisjetaime
irisjetaime

Serge Lutens représente pour moi le luxe à la française.
Sobre. Raffiné. Chic. Confidentiel.

Forcément j'adore.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

I agree with scorpiosheep. This one is innocent and yet "bad" in a good way at the same time. I don't get the coldness that others speak of at all, but then I do love both iris and hyacinth. I think this is more Lutens/Sheldrake genius. Take a lovely floral, make it a tiny bit shrill, and then add something indescribable and animalic that makes you sniff twice and go "whoa,what was that, hmm."

This is not a scent that you "love" at first sniff. This is at once an animalic "feel it' and an intellectual "analyze this" scent to my nose. I have ended up really admiring it and enjoying wearing it, but you need to spend some time with this one.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

Wow, way too much hyacinth in this one. The name makes you think of something pretty and delicate, but this really isn't that.
Bas de Soie opens with a super strong hyacinth note. This is the flower, dripping from rain and having been uprooted - so included is the smell of root and wet earth. It smells like a garden, but like, really, like your garden. Not some idyllic dreamy idea of a lovely flower garden. I find it fairly linear, though the hyacinth does lose the earthiness once it settles a bit, but it's strong floral smell maintains. A hint of woody iris and spice appear in the dry-down. When you smell this from afar it's really quite nice, so the sillage is great, but up close it's too overpowering for me, like a killer white floral.
That being said, if you like hyacinth, you will really like this one and I think anyone who is into white florals like Amarige will too. It truly smells like hyacinth and its certainly a note that isn't the feature too often, for which Serge Lutens does get some kudos here.

Arodis
Arodis

Fanny wrote: "A pale flower that is unapproachable and lives for itself". Similarly said! I use it when I want to be separated from all that when I want to be lonely in a crowd.

Megryanfroglady
Megryanfroglady

I still don't know whether I like it, but I have never met a perfume that merged with me the way this does. It didn't smell like vintage talc so much as feel like it: it evoked cool fresh cotton sheets on just-shaved legs on a cool evening after a warm day, and it evoked it so strongly that I just curled up in bed and basked. It's very sensual but not in the conventional voluptuous way, more a calm languid awareness of one's own body.

I was surprised to react so strongly to it, since I would never have thought to try this had it not been one of precisely two SL samples in the shop I was in. Perfume's weird like that sometimes, thankfully.

fanny
fanny

Aloof and dignified.
A pale flower that is unapproachable and lives for itself.
The opening briefly reminds me of some of the classic chypre flower scents, but BdS has almost no colour which I actually like.
An abstract canvas in black and white, like a Mondrian, clean and perfect.

Sillage: extremely minimal
Silkyness: extremely soft
Longevity: one hour

Dryne
Dryne

But. Have Galbanum or labdanum inside no?

sablebombe
sablebombe

It is, indeed, as other have said a very cold, almost metallic, opening. I can't say green as I immediately got the iris - but definitely not your run of the mill rounded powdery iris perfume. I was wondering if the hyacinth's inject the coldness here or the offbeatness to the powdery iris - I can smell the distinct hyacinth's there sitting in the background and I am trying to identify other notes here - yes, there is a whiff of mint but I am wondering if it is mint or other notes that are unwritten as my nose picks up mint quite easily and I am finding these notes hard to identify - maybe there is even a coriander leafiness going on as I do get a slight whiff of body odour! Some musk way back there as well - slight but there which seems to give this an almost animalistic scent (I was even wondering if civit was involved here?) - there could also be a skanky rose in here as well......!!!!!

I bought this as Serge said it was sensual, powdery and feminine. I'm disagreeing on the feminine as it has a masculine edge to it in my opinion! I have this on one wrist and La Senza's Undiscovered on the other. now, the oddest thing is that there are actually alike in the way they sit on my skin except that Undiscovered is in a word 'commercial' (sweet and rounded) whereby BDS isn't - it is (like most of Serge's fragrances) slightly offbeat and unrecognisable except to someone who knows his perfumes!

This is an 'edgy' iris - an unusual iris but one to wear if you don't favour the 'powdery sameness' of other iris-based fragrances! It is quite unique and quite a work of perfumery art a la Sheldrake! As I mentioned don't overlook this if you are a bloke and into Serge's perfumes as you might be very surprised how it works on you! For the run of the mill iris users I do think this is a case of try before you buy just to see how it sits on you!

Scentszilla
Scentszilla

@ Aur-ha-kadosh below :
Yes, we are all (or most of us are at least) well aware that it's not the flowers of Iris but the tubers that are used in perfumery. But surely you can work it out for yourself, that when we mention the "smell of irises" we actually mean the scent of the tubers of orris. Which incidentally DO actually have a scent of their own. (Even somewhat "floral" in nature despite not originating from the blooms).

shabbus
shabbus

Sorry, this is a cold, gray metallic mess, scraping up against another cold gray, metalic mess creating a high pitched shrieking, soulless scream. Just run away.

Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt
Giannahazagunaka Buddhizt

Aren't both the iris flower and oris root(root of the iris) both used? I mean I know the root is more often used than the flower. But the flower is still used in perfumery in modedrn days, just not as much as it used to be used, and also used in aromatherapy and medicines... even in gin for flavor and color. So it is possible that some perfumes are using the flower and not just the root.

jtd
jtd

The strategy of seeding the recognizable with just enough menace to haunt without causing panic is a classic approach in perfumery. The indole enhances the cleanliness of the white floral. A bit of civet cuts amber’s sweetness and gives it some shadow. In Bas de Soie, the iris doesn’t start with much of a carrot seed note, but it winds up there and takes on a bit of that gorgeous papery iris scent in Chanel 19 (edt especially.) The hyacinth starts pretty, grows more muscular, and then actually gives a hint of the metallic seaport of Secretions Magnifique.

I don’t find BdS the simple, linear functional scent that others appear to deride. It is coherent, and although not as outré as some of the SL icons, it doesn’t hide its seamy side.

Louvenia
Louvenia

Bas de Soie is a crispy,powder iris scent. It starts kind of harsh and quite woody/spicy to my nose. When the woody sensation disappears,you can only smell iris,powdery,deep and soft iris. Bas de Soie instantly reminded me of Hiris by Hermes,although Bas de Soie is more linear and soft.This is not an aggressive iris,maybe a bit when it opens but it lingeries to an airy iris. Very appropriate to those who love powdery iris. It has also good lasting power and medium sillage.

Ártemis
Ártemis

I'm in love with some Lutens scents, but not this one. This doesn't match to my body chemistry. Besides I could not detect the Iris note. The opening was green and spicy, but right after couple of moments it turned to an awful raw eggs, fishery skanky smell on me. I thought this was only some bad reaction that would not last and tried to ignore the annoying smell and focus on my work. Bad, bad mistake, this one has a powerful staying power, so that not only me, but also my laptop stunk! I had to wash my wrists several times and still felt like vomit. Thanks God I had a sample from YR Iris Noir, that I applied to my wrists (here I can clearly detect the Iris, right from the beginning, it's pleasant and it costs much much less).

ocean.lake
ocean.lake

I second to the first reviewer. This perfume almost identical with ELdO Secretion Magnifique in the top note. Glad to know that my nose is still normal. :)

This fragrance is so linear and smell like a rich strange flowery note to me (btw, I haven't sniff a real iris flower). I thought SL BdS is going to be cheerful floral scent, but it's not. Those who wear this, probably have a mysterious and mature attitude. Not for the teenagers, for sure.

Gillie
Gillie

A very contradictory perfume. At first spritz I smelt a lot of green--something like watercress and flat-leaved parsley. This became a sort of mint, very fresh mint leaves, overlayed on the sweet high note of Iris. I kept sniffing and that mint remained--it is actually still detectable on my sleeve the next day. Then a spiciness: carnation and clove. And finally, very strangely, just as scorpiosheep said, a whiff of stale cigarette.

This is how I picture it: An elegant woman is sitting in the bar of a Grand Hotel. The wool jacket of her suit is hanging on her chair back. Her blouse is satin. She is smoking, sipping a vermouth, and wearing Chanel No. 19. She stubs out her cigarette, grabs her jacket, and excuses herself to go to the ladies' room. While there she carefully reapplies her lipstick and pops a stick of spearmint gum in her mouth.

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

As much as I hesitate to use the term "skanky", the opening of Bas de Soie is just this. I got a huge note of stale cigarette butts which did not wear off for about half an hour, but after initially recoiling from this I could detect a hint of something peeping out from underneath, and persevered with it until gradually Bas de Soie gave up its middle and base notes. I don't find anything green about it at all.

Now I am not a poetic person, but this experience conjured up a mental picture story. In it, the girl rolls on her naughty silk stockings and a low cut dress, sprays on a pretty floral scent and goes out for the evening, but somehow ends up in a smoke-filled dive, decides to brazen it out, ends up having one drink too many and wakes up next morning reeking of smoke and pretty floral scent, and wonders what else she got up to that she can't remember. Her silk stockings are torn......

It's innocent and sinful at the same time. Serge Lutens has excelled himself again, but this is quite different from any others of his I have tried. Do I like it enough to buy the FB? I don't know yet. I'm going to have to get a couple more little vials and live with this one for a few days before I decide.

Justyna
Justyna

I tested "Bas de Soie" just before a travel by train. I took place next to an older nun and my smell was perfect for the situation: fresh like white lilac, innocent, even a bit... catholic! "Virgin Mary" would be a better name for it than "Silk Stocking" :) And it lasts very long, with devotion!

Migotka
Migotka

I agree with reviewers that say that this is not a typical Serge Lutens fragrance. If I was blind guessing, Id say it smells more someting from Annick Goutal (and her Ninfeo Mio just to name one off the top of my head). It's quite grassy and powdery, very, very green. Makes me think of fresh cut grass and crystal clear water, with a sprinkle of powder on the top of it.

For me it is not metallic, but crips, slightly sharp, and makes me feel of a Japanese garden- geometric, elegant, serious. Occasionally it can come out a bit too harsh for me, and a bit to wild on the green side.

soupygirl3
soupygirl3

The opening notes to Bas de Soie are an eye-popping icy cold metal reacting with poached fish! Luckily, the fishy smell disappears. But the metallic part remains with a bit of static electricity. There is something very cold and distant about this smell. I can envision wearing Bas de Soie if I lived in a home made primarily of metals, gray colors and not a cushion in sight!

Aur-ha-kadosh
Aur-ha-kadosh

this scent makes me sick, after an opening very harsh and medicinal ( but in the bad meaning of this word ) it becomes dizzy and like poisonous thing, it smells like old cosmetics became dangerous to use, i want to vomit after 5 minutes, can't stand it !

trax
trax

Somewhere in the same category with Penhaligons Bluebell, but without the fecal note. Deeper and darker, more purple somehow, if that makes sense to the ones using color for reference ;)
Really liked it, even if I am not into florals. Beautiful :)

shoreshells
shoreshells

I received a sample of this fragrance and really like it. It's a bit mysterious; a walk through a forest on a fall day. It also reminds me of the library and art galleries; of people noticing this fragrance on you, but keeping silent. Like admiring a beautiful piece of art.

Kterhark
Kterhark

Bas de Soie was one of ten samples I recently recieved, and immediately jumped out as a potential favorite.

"Smooth as marble!" I told myself. I know this is described in blogs as 'cold and metallic,' and I"m not going to disagree with that, but it is also so much more: perfection.

Some are comparing this to 28 La Pausa and Chanel 19; for me no to both.On my skin this is more energetic, pure and intense. Strong iris (which smells like a snapped green bean) is usually too much for me, but when blended with hyacinth (which I love in Chamade), it's plain pretty.

(Fragrantica is leaving out galbanum, musk and spicy notes, which are also included.)

You'll also detect 'hard minerals' here, so yes, that would be the metallic aspect. To me this is an 'active scent', makes you want to move, be creative, smile.

This will absolutely come down to chemistry. The type of folks who might like this probably have some hard core greens on their shelf. This is not a dark floral mix at all, it is cutting and brisk. On me it is a perfect match, and is what I might order if I ever paid for a private scent.

Nausicaä
Nausicaä

I find this a little bit skanky, almost like Etat Libre d'Oranges "Secretions Magnifiques". It lacks SMs metallic secretion-ness, but that is only a good thing!

Bas de Soie by Serge Lutens 3.58 out of 5 based on 259 ratings and 52 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Serge Lutens Bas de Soie fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Serge Lutens Bas de Soie, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Bas de Soie by Serge Lutens. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Bas de Soie by Serge Lutens represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.