Designers » R S » Oriental Woody « Groups

Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens for women and men

Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens for women and men
dislike

cacao
Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens for women and men Pictures Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens for women and men Pictures

Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens is a Oriental Woody fragrance for women and men. Borneo 1834 was launched in 2005. The nose behind this fragrance is Christopher Sheldrake. The fragrance features patchouli, white flowers, cardamom, galbanum, french labdanum and cacao.

Patchouli White Flowers Cardamom Galbanum French labdanum Cacao

Lei

Borneo 1834 Fragrance Reviews

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Borneo 1834 is possibly one of the three-four greatest Lutens of all times in my opinion, an incredible and unique balance of earthy rawness and distinguished sophisticacy. The patchouli-cocoa accord is initially bold and prominent, carrying a load of beautiful nuances, from smoky to dusty and from dry-sweet to rooty notes, rounded by the resinous and spicy sweetness of cardamom and galbanum and enlightened by a really subtle and silky floral breeze. Herbal hints and a range of beautiful echoes, from tobacco to coffee – all the nuances of "exotic rootiness". That's pretty much it: the "grandeur" of a few, masterfully blended notes. A straightforward and overall fairly simple patchouli, yet different from all the others: it's dry, velvety, sinister, sophisticated, exotic, exuding an impressive class I rarely found elsewhere. As many other Lutens (of his "golden era"), the name fits it perfectly: in a way, you think of a refined, yet audacious Victorian explorer, and the overall darkness may even remind of a decadent romanticism à la Baudelaire – but without melancholy or abandon for sure, as the earthy and raw notes surely make Borneo a "living", adventurous fragrance. Rich, mature, oriental, mysterious refinement at its best. If I am not wrong this is discontinued or however hard to find in its early formulations, but I see sometimes that bottles appear here and there – I got my 50 ml bottle (black label, old logo) for less than a normal current Lutens – so keep looking for it, as it's definitely worth it.

Odenir De Faria
Odenir De Faria

Bornéo is beautiful and its blend gives us a different idea of notes such as earth, humid earth, roots, dry leaves, dry wood, tree skin, dry cocoa seeds.

It transports you to a piece of tropical forest just after the rain. I have had that experience for so many times.

I remember one afternoon when I ate a just picked cocoa fruit sitting under the trees. Its pulp - sweet, delicate and lovely flavoured - I sucked them enjoying its exquisiteness. It had been raining and I could smell the humid earth and the leaves. The air was warm, for the sun was back, and I felt really happy.

Bornéo is cozy, exotic and refined. A dream of raw nature.

Enjoy.

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

Straight out of the gate you get a wonderful blend of Patchouli and rich dark cocoa mixed in with some warm spices.

There is a woody backdrop to this scent giving the scent a old world feeling. I get a image of oak barrels filled with cocoa and spices been brought onto ships from tropical lands.

To sum up a delightful old world earthy blend of patchouli and rich cocoa.

Arbre Amer
Arbre Amer

One of the thickest SL juices, this is heavy on base notes. Top notes listed here are totally lost on me, including the usually very perceptible cardamom. Upon application I get what others call "chocolate-cacao" but not very convincing for me, accompanied by a Peru balsam(?) note which is somewhat unpleasant-fatty to my nose, some burned sugar and of course the musty top notes from the patchouli only here they are rounder than usual. The overall impression is a contrast between two opposing elements, fatty and boozy, not very far from A-men but smoother and more natural smelling without that harsh pine-like element from Mugler's fragrance that I find repulsive.
As the fatty top notes begin to fade, a classical musk foundation starts peeking through and Borneo enters the patchouli-musk-labdanum phase touched with mint which is my favourite. From here it becomes quite linear. The dry down is very pleasant, slightly animalic and honeyed and I also get an impressionist representation of leather. The main body of the perfume is almost monolithic and opaque and yet in the drydown there are hints of a fragile and subtly exotic floralness that help it veer from the stereotypically masculine territory.

The projection is fairly discreet but enveloping at the same time (hopefully this makes sense to you). Tenacity on the other hand leaves something to be desired, especially if you take into account the base heavy composition. A liberal application hasn't given me more than 5 hours of wear. With the exception of the beginning, Borneo is not very demanding from its wearer. Sure it differs from the airy and abstract "clean" creations we've become accustomed to but it doesn't take a perfume aficionado to appreciate it for what it is: a very comfortable fragrance of classical sensibilities from quality ingredients that is a pleasure to wear and from what I'm told, down right sexy ;)

Scentmad
Scentmad

Patchouli with the volume turned up. I love patchouli and this is a perfect example of a pimped up version of the old hippy oil that ran like a river through my childhood when one of my best friends at school was the product of a “far-out” couple and every time I went round to see my friend, her mum was drenched in patchouli – every inch the artistic, hippy and soulful being. This perfume is a wonderful take on the oil, not madly different but I would say much more refined. This is opulent and kind of evocative of old Russia, all fur and snow, heady with spice and (thankfully) not overly sweet. This is a grown up, modern patchouli and I think I am in love. I could bath in it to be honest.

muzzbait
muzzbait

sticky patchouli mixed with dark, bitter chocolate. i'm not sure i like it, it kinda smells like my childhood friend's mum, and not in a good way...

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on a decant. Opening is a little sharp. Kinda reminds me of A*Men a bit with the patch-cacao combo except it's less sweet and without the tar note in A*Men. It has above average projection during first hour after that it moves closer to skin with average projection. Longevity is good on my skin.

thehanna
thehanna

I don't smell the similarity between Borneo and Angel evne though they are both made with patchouli and cacao. This is a less warm, more dry and a more organic scent.

The cardamom, white flower, galbanm resin, and patchouli in here are tangible but combine to a scent that smells more like dried dates with floral scented stationary then later like dead leaves and snapping branches in a tropical woods.

The notes in this perfume are difficult to seperate. It is interesting and worth trying. I am not sure whether I like it or not.

mysticaldeath
mysticaldeath

not bad at all, but not really necessary either. essentially a lighter version of Muglers angel.

Deefit
Deefit

It opens very strong and the bitter cacao and patchouli are clearly present. However, after an hour or two, this scent reminds me somewhat of a church or castle. Perhaps this is the galbanum, I don't know. It smells of ancient places, very earthy and slightly musty perhaps.

It's very interesting but now I feel I cannot wear this fragrance because of this association. It seems strange for me to wear as it doesn't fit me as a person either. It is not a comfortable scent either, so beware. I tried my sample for the first time today, but I don't think I will ever use it again. This just is not for me.

I can see people wearing this and loving it, as it is very characteristic. But I would suggest sampling this, as it most certainly is not suitable for everybody. Although, this is a fragrance that is harder to find and wanted by a lot of people, so you probably would not have a hard time swapping it.

Stevie.D.
Stevie.D.

I recently got my hands on a sample of this and was nervous that I wouldn't like it due to encounters with cocoa smelling feminine on me. Not a chance here. The cocoa is dry and blends beautifully with a bucket load of patchouli, it's all masculine with Borneo on my skin. Wearing it to work one day, the ladies working 10 metres away could tell when I was walking around, this from 2 sprays applied 3 hours earlier. Their opinions were favourable. This is my 5th Lutens and it is quickly becoming a favourite.

jht4060
jht4060

Serge Lutens Borneo 1834 is a classic rich Oriental from the master Christopher Sheldrake. A fat bold gorgeous in your face patchouli-cocoa perfume, it would remind me of an NFL lineman if it weren't so sumptuously attractive (if you aren't from the US, these are huge men with no neck and a sumoesque belly). There are spicy cardamom and animalic labdanum notes that I think are also pronounced and provide some dramatic tension, but it is a bit hard to tell because they are buried under so much patchouli and cocoa. The scent seems fairly linear to me for a long time, eventually becoming less cocoa and more earthy. Whatever the exact combination, the skill of Sheldrake in blending them is on full display. My feelings when I smell my wrist range from simple olfactory bliss to a sense of fatal attraction to a horrid old witch projecting the illusion of a beautiful maiden.

hadassa
hadassa

Very lovely: strong, dry and bitter patchouli with a menthol feel and bittersweet cocoa powder.

Reminds me of Angel Taste of Fragrance, which is not surprising concerning the fact it's also a cocoa-patchouli combination. Angel Taste of Fragrance is a bit less earthy and a tad sweeter, with a slightly fruity facet (whereas Borneo is smokier and more grownup).

Very beautiful, elegant and a bit edgy, I would definitely add it to my wardrobe if I did not have Taste of Fragrance.

Completely unisex.

SumoTigerCat
SumoTigerCat

This strikes me as a very sexy fragrance. Somehow I'm imagining being in the hold of an old sailing ship, surrounded by precious cargo that has quite an olfactory kick. Dusty patchouli, dry crumbling chocolate, spices. I want to smell this on my man. He may be surprised by another Christmas present this year. I'll try not to steal it from him too often.

Pipipakiri
Pipipakiri

Borneo how I love thee - truly, madly, deeply. It's a warm, velvety, earthy patchouli and has a strong opening so if you're not a patch fan this may scare you off. However the richness comes from the added cocoa note that isn't sweet nor bitter but has a warm depth to it. The opening is my favorite part of this scent and the dry down is lovely too but it becomes a skin scent a little too quickly for my liking. Smelling it out of the bottle practically intoxicates me. You must try this scent if you're a fan of the warm, earthy patchoulis.

Jellybean
Jellybean

Rich,earthy and spicy fragrance. Sweet like toffee with burnt wood aroma.
Pleasant and unique.
Patchouli-toffee-coco-woody notes-spice, main notes I smell here.
I find it to be a comfortable perfume to wear for any occasion; even thou it has that evening vibe,there's something quite delicious about it. Dinner wear.
Perfect choice for Autumn weather.
Warm and cozy scent.
This is a blind sample try for me since I am still exploring earthy fragrances; was previously avoiding them, however I'm glad I stepped out of my comfort zone and went to try something different.
Variety is the spice of life as they say :)

For some reason I thought for the longest time that Serge Lutens Bornéo was a leather perfume. No idea why, really. Since I'm not a fan of Cuir Mauresque, I naturally steered clear.

Turns out that Bornéo is a lot closer to Fresh Cannabis Santal--which bears similarities to both Angel and Angel for Men--than to Cuir Mauresque. Yes, patchouli is on ample display, along with a delicious unsweetened chocolate note.

The first time I tried this perfume (a wax sample), my initial response was: burnt sugar and bread dough. Today the composition reminds me much more of Cannabis Santal. I do not really find this very sweet at all, and the patchouli is big and bold, just as in the Fresh perfume. I'm going to have to compare them side-by-side to be sure. Be back in a jiffy...

Okay, I'm back. To my nose, the cocoa note in Bornéo is more dominant than the patchouli, while in Cannabis Santal, the patchouli note dominates. However, they are clearly cousins. If I were to mark these out on a continuum to Angel Men, Bornéo would be the farthest from the Thierry Mugler creation (which I do not like so much, as it feels too synthetic to me), and the Fresh would be about half way in between. I also feel that this Serge Lutens creation is less masculine than either the Thierry Mugler or the Fresh, both of which have a more aromatic feeling.

All in all, Bornéo is going to please anyone who is already in the Angel camp, but lots of others as well, because this creation is far less sweet and gooey, and smells fairly natural. The nonnegotiable requirement for wearing this perfume is a love of patchouli and cocoa, and probably anyone who loves both of those notes will love this perfume too. Obviously patchouli-phobes will want to stay very far away.

Fabien77
Fabien77

Instead of feeling sweetness and humidity, I feel dryness. Like smelling Peruvian cocoa dust. Maybe there is some iris on it, to give the powder vibe. Very pleasant, raw and refined at the same time. Better on cold weather. Perfect for Christmas! Good feelings.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

This fragrance has a lovely dark chocolate note, but it also smells of dirt, incense, and is very dry and bitter to my nose. It softens down after about 2 hours on my skin but I'm not willing to wait 2 hours for something to smell ok. I love many Lutens but this is not one of them. I'll leave this one for the men, who could wear this well, I think.

BlueMoon
BlueMoon

EARTHY BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE

Initial spray it actually smelled like dark chocolate found in dirt.
Which was interesting to me - rather than 'bad'.

The dry down is beautiful. More on the feminine side of the scale.

Kain
Kain

A simple but a really good and high quality fragrance.
There are 6 notes in it but you will smell mostly patchouli, cocoa and warm honey sweetness and other notes are almost impossible to detect!
The opening is a strong, sharp and earthy patchouli note mixed with heavy honey sweetness and cocoa all together.
The sweetness is strong and it's honey like. it doesn't smell like vanilla.
It's very sexy and yummy type of sweetness and it's not potent or offensive at all.
The sweetness tune down the wild and earthy patchouli very much, but still you can easily detect patchouli.
The cocoa and honey sweetness notes creating a very sexy charming scent and beside those, strong and earthy patchouli note give it a really nice masculine kick.
It's linear and you will have this combo to the end.
Projection is great and longevity is 8-10 hours which is pretty good.
I like it.
Serge Lutens fragrances never disappointed me!

یه عطر خیلی ساده، ولی بی نهایت خوشبو و با کیفیت
تو ترکیبات این عطر 6 تا رایحه ذکر شده ولی شما فقط میتونین بوی تند و تیز و خاکی نعنای هندی، پودر کاکائو و بوی گرم و شیرین عسل مانند رو حس کنین و بقیه رایحه ها تقریبا قابل حس کردن نیستن
رایحه اویه این عطر ترکیب قوی و کاملا مشخصی از نعنای هندی و کاکائو و رایحه شیرین عسل مانند هست که هر 3 با قدرت زیاد به مشام میرسن
رایحه گرم و شیرین و عسل مانند خیلی قویه اما بوی خیلی خوشمزه و جذابی داره و اصلا اذیت کننده نیست
ترکیب این بوی شیرین عسل با پودر کاکائو یه بوی خیلی خوشمزه شکلات مانند درست میکنه که ممکنه به نظر زنانه بیاد اما بوی تند و تیز و خاکی نعنای هندی حس مردانه تری بهش میده و از این عطر یه عطر یونیسکس خیلی خوب میسازه
بوی این عطر خطی هست و شما از اول تا آخر فقط همین 3 تا رایحه رو حس میکنین که هر 3 با قدرت یکسان جلو میرن و ضعیف میشن
پخش بوش خیلی خوبه و ماندگاری بین 8 تا 10 ساعت داره که عالیه
عطرهای این برند تا بحال هیچ وقت منو ناامید نکردن
عطر خیلی خوبیه

messier42
messier42

This is surprisingly pleasant for me. It's warmth keeps me coming back for more. It reminds me of camping in the autumn, campfire, oil burner, leather boots, spiced chai, night air, decaying leaves. Something quite comfortable about it.

mizz.cindy
mizz.cindy

I am a huge fan of Serge Lutens, and I love patchouli, but on opening Borneo scared the hell out of me! This was a big fat earthy patchouli plant, dirt and green leaves. Huge! But it was very interesting at the same time. Mr. Borneo got my attention, to say the least.
After the initial patchouli bomb Borneo cleared the air, he settled down and his scent helped me calm down as well. The earthy scent got sweeter with a grounding effect.
In Borneo the cocoa is the dominant note after the patchouli, and I can smell something warm and sweet, something to make this patchouli fuzzier. There's more to this patchouli than only patch and cocoa, I think I smell a tiny bit of Sheldrakes famous muscs (the same ones from Muscs Koublai Kahn) here besides some vague florals, a soft amber and something minty and herbal, almost like liquorice. The best part for me besides the gorgeous deep patchouli are the muscs, or the 'little animals' underneath. They make this so sexy and close to my skin.
So compared to the opening Borneo turned out very subtle for me, even with an impressive sillage and longevity. I love this for it's lingering on my skin, wearing close to me but also for it's powerful earthiness.
It smells like a mystery and a solution all at once. Gorgeous!

mippymuppett
mippymuppett

Well I'm just going to start off by saying love..love..love!!! I was never a big fan of patch and ordered this based on the cacao but my goodness this is beautiful juice!!! Polite? I think not, but as a woman who is a lover of more masculine scents I am fine with the unapologetic impoliteness of this scent. This is gorgeous, dry and smokey. Not tobacco smokey but the resin, cardamom & patch create this beautiful smokey haze. Like others have stated this is not a chocolate bar. If you want well done chocolate check out Guerlain's Charnel Gourmand. This cacao is deep, dark & dry as a bone. If I smelled this on a man I would immediately invade his personal space and take a long wiff like a total crazy lady. So men, beware!!! Don't be surprised if the ladies stand just a little bit closer. Is this FB worthy??? Hell YES!!! Ladies - If you like your frags a little deeper and a bit disturbed than by all means knock yourself out. I am in absolute love...

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

Excellent as other fragrances from Serge Lutens, but this one is very interesting.
Patchouli that gives a woody tone also means that wooded land and is joined with the mineral labdanum and then dry the keynote cocoa, all this comes with a cloud camphor, characteristic aroma of patchouli.
It brings the feeling of powder white chocolate, something, wonderful.

Jillita
Jillita

Smoked figs, tobacco, civet, patchouli, rum, balmy, oriental, spicy, chocolate. Unisex. And, I think, more masculine than feminine, but wows every time with its epic power and multi-faceted nature. It is a composition about adventure, history, blood, memory, voyages, sea wars, spice trade. Not sweet, and only vaguely floral. Mostly it's all leather, smoke, wood -- and a ripped bodice.

ericgoesta
ericgoesta

First and foremost a warm scent, really sticks on the skin and I keep smelling it over and over again, it's addictive like that. It's a scent that takes away any sense of "just took a shower" you might have had before. All in a good way.

I think it's an amazing perfume with a great longevity and decent sillage, just ordered the full bottle since my decant is almost out.

Yourfoxiness
Yourfoxiness

Borneo 1834 is just a very odd fragrance! I think choice of weather when I tested it had something to do with the success. The patchouli is dominant for me in the beginning, a very true to life, natural patchouli plant smell. Moist soil & all! A very damp, & "dank" smell that was beautifully emphasized by the wet, temperate, overcast day. The cocoa is very prominent also, and after time the sweetness starts to warm over the sharp medicinal opening of raw patchouli. All the while, the perfume stays very thick & dense perhaps with some added musk? An oiliness like the sheen on silk or fur, perhaps ambergris? Labdanum is a bit detectable as a superbly sweet & sticky accord that flits about but never lands strongly to push everyone around thank goodness! My skin tends to pull sweet notes, and as the composition wears on, it steadily gets sweeter & sweeter up to the point where I almost feel as if I'm wearing the Angel that left for Paris instead of the Gentlemen's club. (No offense to Angel lovers, just a personal preference!) I'm very glad the caramel & vanilla notes aren't here, as they go so sticky sideways on my skin! There, I will end my comparison.
The cocoa-patchouli dance is more sophisticated now, a dignified courtship, atop a dense base that lasts forever.. Even just a wax sample! The perfume must be a truly potent patch bomb! I picked this sample today, before my bath by a few hours, because I thought I wouldn't like it. Patchouli, chocolate, sweet... Much to my surprise, once again I find myself impressed by Mr Lutens. Full bottle? Perhaps.. I know I do need to test it again. There is something here that attracts me, even though it shouldn't!

degauss
degauss

On my skin I can smell fig and anise. What? Why? It opens with this not-actually-in-the-composition anise and patchouli, and later mellows into smoky ghost-fig and, I suppose, cacao, the one that, you know, is actually among the notes.

However - and the however is very great here - on clothes it retains the character antfarm and a few others describe. Heavy, dark, succulent and somewhat medicinal - a strange combination of adjectives, I know, but it works - dense and smoky.

I seem to be growing into my heavy scent love because I can very well predict myself wearing this at summer, projecting right into the neighboring country. Heady.

damfino
damfino

starts with smoked cacao, after few hours i can detect a hint of white flowers. warm and smokey fragrance suitable for cosy evenings, not for everyday use. sillage and longevity are rather disappointing though.

timetraveller
timetraveller

Most manly fragrance I've smelled from the Lutens Line.

It's not only manly, it's also distinguish (if a scent can be so..)

I picture a room of a exclusive british-like club when smelling this. Full of suits, cuban cigars, balloon glasses, big leather sofas, ladies with too much make up and rigid tuxedo waiters.

Patchuli, cacao and a spicy cocktail. I like it a lot.

antfarm
antfarm

Dark, bitter, and sexy. It smells like the bark of a deadly tree in a jungle that village children tell tall tales about.

The chocolate is not gourmand here, it's rooty, chalky, and deep like the scent of a cacao bean in nature. The patchouli is very prominent but not dirty--it's the sharper, almost furniture polish-like variety.

This is flat and linear on me and doesn't last long, but on my boyfriend's skin different facets come to the forefront and almost every note is detectable.

tora.routhier
tora.routhier

I adore Borneo. It can do no wrong in my book. It makes me feel stronger, more grounded, and delicious. It is linear which to me means I can count on the dry Patchouli, the bitter Cocoa and the well worn Leather all the way home. And I am trying just now, Borneo on my left arm, Coromandel on my right. Coromandel is Borneo's cute, goofy, cuddly, little Sister. Borneo seems almost the stern reproving big Brother giving up a little more chocolate in side by side comparison. Kinda fun wearing them both, but I lean way over to Borneo as my preference.

girasolina
girasolina

All Lutens me work like opening magnificent and disappointing development, or opening warm and love bomb later.
This is not either: opening very interesting development yet to smell, because I feel the discomfort of camphor .... however it is in the style of Lutens.
P.S. For me absolutely not like and do not remember ... Coromandel! alcohol have in common??

second review:
MASTERPIECE!
l'immagine e quella della sniffata di russell crowe nell'arena del gladiatore prima del combattimento...

patchouli da sballo!...eh' si' ....si' mr Lutens c'ha la robbabuona!!;-)))

deadidol
deadidol

Wasn't too thrilled by this. Musky (?) chocolate, I guess? I really dislike gourmands, so I'm probably biased. But even for a gourmand, it just seems a bit run-of-the-mill. I actually don't get much of the patchouli, but I can tell it's there.

Woah, is the longevity problematic in this? It's disappeared down to a skin scent already.

Paraluman
Paraluman

have you ever smelled something so good enough to eat and yet so inedible?? This is how it makes me feel. the same way i feel about fish flakes.

Bitter chocolate shavings in a bed of heady, earthy, mentholated patchouli with a dash of cinnamon and a sprinkling of cigarette ashes. Smells really really yummy! I'm starting to get confused about what i should and should not be eating :p

moira-R
moira-R

I remember the time when I dreamed about this fragrance)) Looking only at the pyramid and comments I was already sure that Borneo is perfect... And it is perfect!
I love the cacao scent, not the sugary and milky cacao-drink but bitter cacao-powder. And I really don't like sweet-food scents, things which you may call "delicious". Really, woman should not smell like confectionery or bakery))
Note of "inedible confectionery" is a contradiction, a paradox which I like so much in many fragrances of Serge Lutens. Borneo 1834 gave me this note in the form of bitter, dry and rich cacao-powder. Yes, I want to eat this scent... but only by my nose)) In addition to this fantastic cacao I get real intensive patchouli scent, very deep, dark and even oily, with overtones of soil. And that's not all. I feel ship's timber, so interesting and rare accord in perfumery, so distinct from all woody scents. Oh yeah, I forgot about camphor! So natural and so strange.
Well, Borneo 1834 is very Lutens' fragrance, completely in the style of the house. The accords of composition seems familiar but they "sounds " very unusual. And it's almost impossible to forget this fragrance or mistake it for something else.

Bbjr
Bbjr

Nothing but chocolate

Edit. Apparently my nose was not working right when I first got this. What i get now is the patchouli and it's the best of any I've tried. It's mixed with the cocoa (no spell check) and makes for a very sweet dry down and it's absolutely wonderful! The longevity is second to none.

fuggerone
fuggerone

patchouli kick, hugely sexy, sweet but not cloying..a first line scent

kit1982
kit1982

Warm, patchouli and cocoa scent. This is very comforting. One of the best wood scent, imo. This, by far, tops the list of best patchouli... next are Aromatics Elixir and Giorgio for Men.

Jillzilla
Jillzilla

Dry, earthy (but not dirty), warm leathery (but not oily) patchouli. While I can appreciate this scent as a patchouli lover, I don't like Borneo 1834 on my own skin due to the dry leather note. Looking at the notes, I don't know what's causing it! I don't specifically detect any cardamom, and spicy notes usually stand out on my skin. Longevity was really poor for me.

anomie et ivoire
anomie et ivoire

Dry cold earth. Dense, villainous, unbothered. Cacao like a drug, not like a chocolatey treat, dominates at first but ultimately loses out to the elements; something primal and austere. Galbanum (just as the dark arts described it) and cardamom hum and seethe respectively around a heart that shakes off hippie in favor of chic freak.

Initially I was less than impressed with this acquisition in spite of being a classic patch-head. It took spilling nearly 25 ml of this for me to give it proper attention. Dirty, real patchouli, the last black key on the left side of the piano, pitched-down vocals. Coarse, not minerallac in any clean sense but a bit like moss on cooled volcanic rock.

Attics, basements, black mold. The story behind this: the silk road, patchouli used to keep the insects off the fabric, the ladies loved the smell of their soft new silks. Probably only because it was exotic, maybe only because it contrasted so perfectly with the weft of silk itself.

Rough-hewn peace and the grand, unsentimental love of mother nature.

Overall rating: for lovers of not-clean-patch: 9.5/10, in general: 8/10
Longevity: 3+ hours dabbed, 5+ hours sprayed, months if spilled or used as a high-cost room spray
Sillage: undulating. the opening is a bit close to the skin, but it drifts into arm's length radius.
Gender: tending toward masculine, certainly not at all girly, but the earthiness will work on androgynous, tough, or very natural-boheme earth mother types. (Read: this is goth and hippie at the same time, to indulge in convenient labels).
Occasion: chillout, reading poetry, graveyard strolls, secret midnight adventures.

cloyd42
cloyd42

Several months ago Ineke Ruhland ran a thought experiment asking people to suggest perfumes based on "weird" things that they liked to smell. No surprises in terms of mimeographed paper and crayons but the one that everyone thought was crazy was -- bandaids. Well here's the good news for bandaid lovers: it's already in a bottle called " Borneo 1834". Yes I can smell all the individual notes and tricks, but by golly, the ultimate effect is opening a brand new box of bandaids while wearing a tobacco note perfume. So we've got the trademark weird and interesting parlor trick but I just don't get this one. I'll write it off to chemistry since so many people whose tastes I respect like this but doesn't anyone else smell the medicine cabinet?

Projection: Reasonable, 1-2 ft
Duration: 2 hours and counting
Fabulosity: George of the Jungle
Value to Price Ratio: your call

Anvil_of_the_Sun
Anvil_of_the_Sun

This is a chocolate patchouli, but saying that can be a bit misleading - it makes you expect sweet chocolate and hippy patch. Instead, the chocolate is very dark and 'dry' and the patchouli is cool, broad, and deep - forest floor menthol. The combined effect is remarkable. It reminds me, in the best possible way, of an exclusive wine cellar. Restful, luxurious, compelling.

(As a postscript, here's an odd layering effect: take a good spritz of B1834 and spray over a dash of Demeter's 'Earthworm'. Can you guess the result? Truffles — black Piedmontese truffles — exactly. I think this may be the most bizarre gourmand ever.)

delilahcat
delilahcat

This is such an interesting scent! I was expecting a horrible overload of patchouli but instead it is simply noticeable. I smell the cacao to, i get a kind of chocolate covered raisins note but not to sweet, actually its oddly nice. There is also earthiness which makes me think of sunbaked earth, this works really well to sort of ground the other notes. I also get some green notes like when you snap a green twig, i think this must be the laubdanum.
I ususally like sweeter perfumes and am not normally a fan of patchouli but i have to say this is soo opposite to what i normally like that im finding it quite pleasant, sort of warm and cosy, a bit woody a bit creamy a bit earthy and and a bit green and a bit spicy. Id compare it when you open the spice cupboard and get that waft of savory sweet spicyness. I think this fragrance is a bit dirty too, i dont know if it could be worn for all occaacions but this is definately a masterpiece of the unusual and individual. Im writing this about the solid perfume sample so i hope the liquids just as good.

pb0330
pb0330

just received a sample of this one. i could only smell the cacao, nothing else. this is the 2nd serge lutens i sampled and i only get one or two of the notes from each. another one that is not for me.

spumyland

camaleontico come tutti i profumi di Serge Lutens...dopo un avvio insolito di canfora all'apertura del tappo prendo coraggio e lo spruzzo su polsi, collo e gomiti..a tratti medicinale o meglio alcolico.nellle prime 2 ore penso al caffe' borghetti e un mini sigaro masticando liquirizia goleador....borneo 1834 e' uomo o comunque dark fino alla fine.
nel mentre...sento
terra secca al sole,
il patchouli e il cacao (in polvere) rendono tutto caldo leggero liscio ..,
quasi dolce,
resinoso secco,
misterioso,
afrodisiaco
rating 8,5-9/10
bravo Sergetto..:-)

shantigirl38
shantigirl38

I now have a new love affair and it is with Borneo. I have a habit of jumping right in with a fragrance and then end up with a huge bottle that I get bored with quickly and becomes a dust collector, so this time I ordered some decants.. I am a hugh patchouli fan and couldn't wait to smell this fragrance which seems to be one that either you love or just cannot do it.. My package arrived today and I just couldn't wait to open this bottle.. The first smell that came across to me was cacao/chocolate followed by patchouli. As time wore on, the patchouli grew stronger with a hint of tobacco and powder all in one.. the patchouli was very mellow to my standards and somehow all of these smells in the drydown seems to blend into one very smooth, velvety scent.

timeazsofia
timeazsofia

Agree with the most comment, one of my favorite Serge Lutens' fragrance too. The patchouli note is beautiful, dark, earthy, woody and sweet, and with the cocoa creates a lovely smell! Simply love it.

beamainguy
beamainguy

Warm, comforting patchouli. Different from the patchoulis I had tried before, I love to wear it on cold winter days, one of my favorite Lutens' fragrance.

Oops!
I forgot to add that I live in a tropical country. Would Borneo 1834 be cloying in the heat?

kokorauhan

I can't find a sample here in my country and I'm wondering if it's safe to buy it without testing it on my skin first because I found a really good deal on Serge Lutens perfumes here. But it's rather unfortunate that I can't find a sample of Borneo 1834 here. The only ones that I was able to test were Douce Amere, Chergui, Ambre Sultan, and Un Bois Vanille. I bought the first two because I liked how they smell on me. I was wondering if Borneo 1834 smells a bit like Ambre Sultan. If it does then I probably won't buy it because I hated Ambre Sultan on me. I looked at the notes in Borneo 1834 and I can't decide. I don't know what patchouli smells like but I think I will like the cacao.

I also want to try Feminite Du Bois but I can't find a sample. Please enlighten me. Thank you very much.

Annelien1987
Annelien1987

Wow, amazing fragrance. Smells like patchouli, sweet patchouli. It reminds me of my signature scent Patchouli by Reminiscence. It's practically the same. Mine has better lasting power and is less expensive but it comes close. Mmm love it!

ludwigchenier
ludwigchenier

I spent some days trying to define clearly this scent 'cause it is somewhat complicated. From the outset I can say that I enjoyed the hell out and Serge Lutens and Sheldrake are geniuses. This frag has its main focus on patchouli and is subsidized by the roasted cocoa.

Early on, it opens with a smell of camphor dissolved in a cocoa and patchouli basis, a little bit different, like some kind of root, like a bitter licorice. After a few minutes, camphor decreases and open space to patchouli, that "tones up" and becomes more leafy, yet bitter, but this patchouli is a totally different from how it was used by White Patchouli - TF. In Borneo it is opaque, dense, smoky, as ike the cocoa note, but it seems to be formed by dry leaves, not fresh ones.

Indeed, the more time passes, the more opaque is the scent, it gives the impression that you're in the middle of a dark rainforest, but close to a cocoa farm (who has been to Ilheus, here in Brazil, should know what I'm talking ). The scent reminds a lot this environment. This is because the dry down enter the galbanum and laudanum notes, leaving the frag resined and incensed.

But though opaque, cocoa becomes more pronounced, like a 70% chocolate but with a layer of dust on top of it, or as if it was a little moldy. You can not exactly feel like eating, but getting lost in the midst of the bushes and rushes out to smell the cocoa beans that are drying up. It has a very good sillage and fix.

Straight forward patchouli-cacao. Rich yet not too sweet, masterfully crafted but not incredibly original. After the camphoraceous/spicy opening it settles haflway between A*Men and Parfumerie Generale's Cozè. A beatuiful composition that you'll surely dig if you're into bold head-shop patchouli. Me? A bit too overpowering for my likes. I stick with the PG.

Rating: 7.5/10

tomatomiasma
tomatomiasma

In the vast field of patchouli fragrances, I love Borneo precisely because the cacao note makes the whole thing, to my nose, astoundingly raunchy. Unsweetened and inedible, this latter note really reminds me of open wounds and ripped-off bandaids. It's exciting to get something a little uncomfortable (ie the inside of some anonymous someone) slyly/unknowingly injected into such a reliably crafted and remarkably staid, for all its Orientalism, line.

Wim Janssens
Wim Janssens

Maybe too overpriced but a fantastic scent!

LaPetite
LaPetite

I tested it with a friend who is a perfume freak like me , and we had the same reaction at the same moment : a "baaaaaaaah" it smelled to me like nail polish remover O_o
Maybe it's the test bottle that had gone wrong ?

Yamba1
Yamba1

I was a little wary of trying this one as in my mind I had imagined Borneo 1834 to be big, heavy and demanding. What unfolded for me was a thick (but not oppresive) oriental not dissimilar to Chanel Coromandel, but without some of Coromandel's sweetness.

Maybe I'm getting too used to strong unisex fragrances that nudge the masculine line, but this sits very well on me (female) and I would certainly consider this full bottle worthy.

Thanks again to my dear friend Scorpiosheep for the sample :)

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

I agree with bhean_sidhe's review wholeheartedly; I am also a Scorpio and also prefer Borneo 1834 as a winter scent.

I can imagine an early explorer in a tropical jungle, with the steamy camphor smell all around, but then a trickling sluggish almost stagnant smelling creek right there, adding a pungent note. He settles down for a mug of hot chocolate (!) and there it is... the complete perfume.

You also have to be pretty confident to wear this, not a girly girl.

This will always be in my perfume collection.

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

Today was the first test run for this sample and I have to say that it was a pleasant surprise. The first thing that I noticed was a strong aura of patchouli floating all around, not where I had applied the perfume, but in the remote part of the sillage. I really hadn't read anything about the perfume, so was surprised by the patchouli, which was actually nice and light, not the head-shop kind that I try to avoid. Closer to the skin there were other things not at all related to patchouli, probably some flowers and coriander. The first couple of minutes were a little rough, but the scent quickly settled down into a pleasant spicy-flowery scent with the patchouli somewhere off in another dimension. As the patchouli and flowers subsided, they were gradually replaced by a powerful, sweet vanilla note intensified by the cacao that I now see is supposed to be in the mix. About 8 hours later the drydown has pretty much come back to a nice, muted slightly floral patchouli. I like this scent a lot, even if it doesn't transport me to the wilds of Borneo. It has a lot of complexity and surprising whiffs of different things appearing in the sillage, almost as if they're drifting in from some remote location. Maybe the best image would be standing on the deck of a ship out at sea, with breezes from the land bringing hints of all the different fragrant things that are on an island somewhere just over the horizon. Borneo will get another wearing before too long.

An interesting journey. It goes on my skin as a blast of alcohol and patchouli, that immediately fades to patchouli and cocoa. The patchouli, which I generally abhore, is soft and sweet and woody, not oily and sour, and the cocoa is dry instead of sweet. It never smells like chocolate on me, only dry cocoa. As the scent warms, cardamom creeps in in the faintest of whiffs, softening the woody cocoa still further into what is almost but not quite a gourmand scent. Galbanum makes a brief appearance as wet wood or green forest floor, but it fades fairly quickly, which is good for me as galbanum can be abrasive and sharp on my skin. At about 45 minutes, a faint but distinct plastic note shows up,generally the sign of a synthetic smoke scent on me. Still, it isn't so intrusive to ruin the fragrance completely. Overall, this is warm woods, sweet patchouli in it's best Sunday clothes and dry, ground cocoa bean. Lovely.

bhean_sidhe
bhean_sidhe

I was given this with a comment "please wear only in winter, better never". But now I wear it every day (it's winter though) and I can't get enough of it. I feel that it suits me perfectly and that no other perfume reflects my personality as well as this one. Btw, I think it's the best fragrance for a Scorpio you could ever think of.

At fist it's really sharp, almost like a fist in your face, straightforward so and so. Then it settles down, gets close to to the skin and you start feeling the cocoa. It reminds me of our house in the countriside in August - the smell of the earth, wood. You're wearing a warm jumper and eating a chocolate bar. Somehow many Lutens fragrances bring back childhood memories.

Robert White
Robert White

Well, I'm too damn beaten down by life right now for the usual clowning around and weekly biography (lost another job for NO GOOD DAMN REASON)so I'll stick with the juice. Borneo 1834 is an acceptable substitute for my forbidden alcohol abuse, as it smells like something really really expensive that I'd like to drink instead of something really really expensive that I love to wear. Sort of reminds me of Annick Goutal's SABLES -is there immortelle in there?- opens up with a head clearing blast of patchouli, cigar tobacco, utterly bitter chocolate, and goes on fron there. Seems almost like a lateral scent to me - I don't notice a lot of change or evolution- but my head is so fucked up lateley my sensory perceptions may be a bit out of whack. Whatever. This is GREAT. I can't really see a woman wearing this....but the woman with the personality and style to pull it off would be pretty damn attractive to me - like a woman who looks goo in a Tuxedo...I guess it's the whole Helmut Newton thing, after all, I did sexually come of age in the 1970's ya know. Anyway, it's one of those Lutens that doesn't clobber you over the head with his trademark cedarwood accord - not that I'm knocking that, but in some of his stuff (Cedre and Chypre Rouge, and a few others), it's just, well, almost nauseating. In the case of Cedre, it IS just plain nauseating...the staff at Barney's agree with me. I can't say enough nice things about the perfume staff at Barney's in Boston - when Lutens released Muscs Koublai Khan in the USA, I stopped in at the store (didn't know it was out yet) and the manager had one with my name on it and was distressed because she didn't have my phone number. (Jeanette, if you ever read this, YOU can have my number - or anything else you want - ANY TIME) I also find that this smells great if you spray on the timiest bit of Muscs koublai Khan afterwards - although I usually refrain from mixing my perfumes because the result is usually an unmitigated, hard to wash off disaster.
By the way...I'm willing to be friends with any of you out there that do the FACEBOOK thing...just look for the guy with the monocle. (I'm not really a big FACEBOOK kind of guy, but most of my friends who do it are old rock and roll buddies, so a few perfume foolks would be a welcome change...)

mellybee
mellybee

I premise that it will be a negative review or at any rate not a positive one.
My first impression about Borneo was: "Oh, my, this is the clone of Le Baiser du Dragon by Cartier!" (at least on my skin) There is the same dirty, wet, earthy type of pathouli in both of them in common, which does not seem the most refined and wearable at all. The patchouli is very dominant (and so is the cocoa in the Borneo - which, by the way, made me discover that I do not like cocoa bean as a perfume note) and I find it difficult to harmonize with my own personal style or mood.
I have to admit that I admire both fragrances but mostly as something valuables for their contribution to the olfactory discourse rather than to my personal scentrobe.

Σελήνη
Σελήνη

I'm really impressed,it's funny to wear it but, for me this is more a scent for men.It smells so hot/smoky and like inscense but not the chemical stuff in some standard fragrances this smells real!
It smells like you're in the church(the inscense smells are different because every priest use other Balm for it,and this is a other one i think it's the galbanum)and it smells dry(patchoulie) and woody/spicy(cardamom).
This is definitive a unique and special scent with love made.And the scent is deep and mysterious.
The Bottle and the colour of the liquid fits really really good to the scent, and also the name it's like Borneo,itself.
This fragrance is good for the nighttime,and for colder day's and it last very long,it's a elixir.

pimentosugars
pimentosugars

Wow. My introduction to Serge Lutens and I find myself in Borneo. Straight out of the bottle the top notes welcome with the most delicious melange of warm spices and a chord of rum and raisin running through, this is an astonishing perfume; 1834? Well yes, I can feel it. We are 19th Century explorers; I'm the girl dressed as a boy, pith helmet at the ready; we traded spices from Zanzibar via Madagascar to Mandalay, and now we have come to a land of heavy scented woods, of jungles and mysteries and strange flowers, of beasts and beings unknown, a land time forgot. I half expected to see a pterodactyl circling above Harrods.

Borneo 1834 has impressive longevity, I put it on at 5 in the afternoon and could still smell it on me at 2 in the morning, albeit witout the delectable top notes. What remains is a fascinating and rather dry condensation of spices. My criticism? I think it is too masculine for my skin. It lacks a certain kind of sexiness, and I like my perfumes to beguile. But a very interesting perfume indeed.

Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens 4.21 out of 5 based on 416 ratings and 68 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Serge Lutens Borneo 1834 fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.