Designers » R S » Oriental Spicy « Groups

dislike

I have it: 1575 I had it: 223 I want it: 1355 My signature: 24

honey
tobacco
Chergui Serge Lutens for women and men Pictures Chergui Serge Lutens for women and men Pictures

Chergui by Serge Lutens is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for women and men. Chergui was launched in 2005. The nose behind this fragrance is Christopher Sheldrake. The fragrance features tobacco leaf, honey, iris, sandalwood, amber, musk, incense, rose and hay.

Tobacco Leaf Honey iris Sandalwood Amber Musk Incense Rose Hay

Chergui Fragrance Reviews

K1
K1

Gergui seems to be Serge Lutens' top seller perfume. Rightfully of course cause this masterpiece deserves every penny paid for. This is one of the best honey/tobacco perfumes ever made.
It starts with dense sweet/dark slightly bitter tone of smoky ambered hay and something gastronomic burnt. Affects in the fist moment. Then tobacco, premium oldish tobacco smell makes the throne for honey that dominates the combination with dark heavy aromatic and smoky incense support.
The fluffy dry down is an distinct experience! The longevity is giant and sillage is pretty enough but not excellent.

seekritdude
seekritdude

I assume ive smelled the reformulated version, because although this gets a lot of love. There is also a lot of talk about it being potentially out there, smelling weird, or not a good compliment getter. But I found it to be very wearable and not offensive at all. However that being said I didnt find it amazing as others do. I dont get a lot of hay either. Sort of if they made a limited edition NIGHT or DARK version of baby powder. For the baby with a bad... side? lol I dunno.. A dark sorta honey, baby powder with some tobacco. As it dries down and gets into its final stages it smells much more feminine to me, and it actually reminds me a lot of another fragrance that I wish I could put my finger on. But very well might be a womens fragrance. Also although I dont get a wet or a damp vibe, I do agree it is very balmy at times.

Projection is just ok, and longevity is alright but nothing crazy for me.

I cant see myself ever wearing it though as if I wanted a honey tobacco scent I already have Pure havane and back to black and I think those are better than this. Although I would assume this appeals to the person that also wants that honey/tobacco vibe, but a less out there in your face version. Perhaps a more 'grown up' version, although I hesitate to say that for sure. As although I do like pure havane I myself do find it to have a older vibe to it as well.

Sherihan
Sherihan

Like other bottles I have from SL, it take me to a trip somewhere else, sometime else

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

Chergui is my spoilt brat perfume, a perfume reflecting a lifestyle of pure luxuriousness, NOT compulsive, mindless consumption though. A life where the possibility of two weeks' of holiday to travel in Morocco and amongst other things, experience this desert wind that blows hot in summer and cold in winter. Just as how the scent blooms beautifully on a sunny day and how it gives a warm glow in colder weather. The dark rich brown of the liquid gives a glimpse as to the character of the scent and the evoked images it brings, rich, warm and inviting. Like dark sweet honey. Or a man lounging in a sharp suit, comfortable in his surroundings, knowing that he would belong and be accepted anywhere, slowly puffing on a finely carved pipe. The warm rich reds, oranges, yellows and greens of amber, holding the secrets of hundreds of years ago in their transparency. A woman in a white linen dress, fortunate to have the time in to stop and smell the roses, to turn her face up to the glow of the sun's rays and wind bringing in raw natural smells far away from cityscapes. When she is tired, she returns indoors to a warm hearth, where she reads to her heart's content in a silk slip, to the accompaniment of trails of incense, flickering lights, a silver dish of roasted nuts and a warm mug of tea next to her with strangely enough, Massive Attack playing in the background. I swear I was not on drugs while wearing Chergui!
I love how the fragrances of this house bring varied stories to my mind, I love the emotions the scents arouse in me and take me away from the humdrum of my daily life into landscapes I may never see this lifetime, stories and people as colourful as Dr Parnassus' Imaginarium.
I am grateful that on me at least, Lutens' last forever just as Chergui does and stays like a basking, reassuring glow around me while it does.

Vehrkalia
Vehrkalia

I do really love Chergui, it's such a mysterious, sensual, warm fragrance!

I'd like to know if there are similar fragrances but at a cheaper price, because I'd like to wear something like Chergui.
Do anyone knows if there is? :-)

aquisr1
aquisr1

I was hoping to like this scent more than I did. The main note that I pick up is a sweet type of musk that quickly goes to a powdery warmth on my skin. Im guessing the tobacco and musk and perhaps the little bit of floral is what cause this. I didn't read any incense to this. No smokiness.Just not enough depth for me.
The scent sits very close to you and it does last about 6 hours It becomes quite faint. I think I was just expecting a much darker richer fragrance here.

Thuy Tong
Thuy Tong

I'm from a South Eastern tropical country where I was afraid that it would be a risk if I decided to purchase Chergui in summer. But on receiving it, my decision was absolutely right!

Chergui opens with a sweet powdery smell of honey, musk and strong incense on my skin. After about 10 minutes, cinnamon appears. But surprisingly, when I searched for the list of notes here, I didn't see cinnamon. Then I recognized that's the smell of tobacco, sandalwood and amber together. Since then, the smell stays great, warm and sexy on me.

This scent can last forever on me even after my sweaty exercise and shower until I'm into sleep.

HickorySmoke
HickorySmoke

All day longevity with average sillage. It opens up with a hay note I'm guessing which lasts about 20 minute then unfolds into honey, tobacco heaven blended very well with the other oils. I highly recommend to give this one a sniff.

cseybert
cseybert

I like this scent the beginning is kind of rough but after about 20 minutes it turns into a scent that you wish you could keep on. Lasts a long time. 7 out of 10 on projection.

arrode
arrode

Lovely! Sweet, smokey, and sexy. Radiates well and lasts a long time. Very similar to Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille, but not as "spicy" if you want something similar with less "pumpkin pie"-like spice.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

Chergui opens with a superb powdery-fruity balsamic and resinous accord on a beautiful base comprising sandalwood and tobacco notes. The Lutensian "syrupiness" is toned down by the powdery notes of violet/orris, the woody notes, and a subtle mossy/earthy vibe of hay and the "humid side" of tobacco. A sophisticated Oriental opulence, quite understated and not as "rich" as other Lutens' scents. As minutes pass it slowly dries turning into an orris-sandalwood accord with cinnamon, balsamic-ambery-benzoin notes, and an utterly elegant tobacco base, so dense and humid it almost smells like leather. A really refined scent, more simple and dry than other Lutens. The evolution is equally great and pleasant, and it slowly goes from Oriental to Mediterranean, as the mossy-earthy "pine forest" accord comes in blending with the Oriental bouquet of flowers and resins. All beautifully surrounded and supported by tobacco. Distinctive but "wearable" and versatile, refined and just gorgeous to smell from the beginning to the end, slightly more feminine and resinous than what it may look from the composition.

Hassan Nasrallah
Hassan Nasrallah

c'est une magie noire , tobacco and honey together make a great couple for warmth and longevity , actually it makes me feel i want some chocolate and red wine.
this is an elegant perfume for special classy event , it completes the tuxedo then a new star is born :)

Cochlea
Cochlea

The description of this fragrance on the SL website summed it up perfectly "A fire fanned by the wind, a desert in flames...."
Chergui is beautiful! I was not aware of the sounds that I was making with my throat when I smelled this. The first spray on my skin opens with deliciously smoky honey and tobacco. I sense leather and cinnamon even though they are not listed. I sense these notes right at the beginning. After a while the mixture of rich amber and sandalwood begins to come through. I love rose and here it is subtle but still lovely. Overall this is very sensual, distinctive and delicious scent. I was nervous as this is my first exposure to tobacco but I so love it! I think that the sillage is too soft but longevity is good! I smell sweet dry tobacco throughout for about 5 hours on my skin.
Chergui is out of my budget right now so I need to hold off using my samples, it is so addicting!

riffjim4069
riffjim4069

Simply one of the best honey-tobacco fragrances out there. I love this one and I am usually not thrilled when there is a honey note in a fragrance. And I'm also not much "sweet" fragrance guy...but I enjoy the scent of Chergui.

dbrii24
dbrii24

Chergui is fabulous! It's a luxurious blend of sweet tobacco, honey, and amber. If you enjoy deep and sensual fragrances you will adore this one. Tobacco is immensely present in the beginning but as it dries down each of the notes composite effortlessly into one. The end result is slightly gourmand and highly addictive. If I didn't already own Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille, I would add this to my stash. Both Chergui and TV ooze tobacco at heart, in my opinion. Nonetheless, Chergui is simply stunning and quite tempting.

karlovonamesti
karlovonamesti

Honey is sweet, but its sweetness is so concentrated that there is quite a bit of skank to it - and I get no skank from Chergui. This tells me that the honey note is meant to be perceived not as an animalic component, but as something fresh. And guess what? There is a great big lavender note tucked behind it. It is immediately clear with every application that Chergui is an aromatic fougere, the lavender practically announces it with a megaphone. Its honeyed sweetness transitions nicely into a hay-like coumarin/tobacco/musk drydown, very mellow and sweet. Chergui achieves the same effect as Boss Number One: warm freshness. I get a sense of a summer afternoon on a picnic blanket in a field of wildflowers, occasionally seen through the golden glow of a full champagne glass. Manly, yes, but elegant, and very nice.

IndigoEye
IndigoEye

Ok, I ordered a sample of this as an outside bet, knowing that this would probably be a little too caramel sultry for me, and my initial thought on application was "yes, too sweet, way too sweet". Nonetheless, I couldn't wash it off and I was in for a long car drive and some alone time with Chergui...
For a long while, I found it syrupy sweet and couldn't understand the reference to the dry African wind. Later, though, I got the dry notes - almost like old parchment - and a playful rose appearing now and then. This was my favourite stage of the perfume. Later, things got ugly between us. A sour note crept in, reminiscent of discovering a beautiful bowl of fruit that has spoiled. I felt like Miss Havisham in her earlier days, as all the wedding flowers and food is freshly turning.
I am sure this is a skin chemistry thing, but I would definitely recommend trying first.

Pinnacos
Pinnacos

I love this stuff too, but I definitely get a note of Myrrh in this, much like the candy rootbeer barrel smell is Goutal's Myrrhe Ardente. I must have an olfactory nerve that has shorted out, as no one else has referenced this.

edge42
edge42

Velvety Honey Tobacco - ★★★★★

How does it smell?
Beautiful. Exotic. Imagine walking into the finest humidor in Morocco, except this humidor has been emptied of all tobacco and filled with open jars of fresh honey. Scattered on the wooden floor is a small amount of hay left behind from the packing material of the cigar crates that used to fill the room. Off in the distance you catch whiffs of fresh cinnamon/amber incense blowing in, carried on the hot desert winds.

At times, Chergui reminds me of the best parts of Dolce & Gabbana's The One. Most times, it feels so exotic that it reminds me of nothing else.

Performance and seasons?
Being an eau de parfum, longevity is fantastic. This will last you at least 8 hours on skin. On clothing, expect 16+. Projection is right in the middle, never loud but always present.

To me, Chergui is an amazing fall/winter fragrance. However to best experience Serge Luten's idea of the hot desert winds this is a must-try in the heat of spring and summer as well.

Is it any good?
Serge Lutens Chergui is a TKO fragrance, it delivers on all 3 fronts - smell, longevity and projection. Considering how rich and natural it smells, like they insisted on nothing but the finest ingredients, it is also a niche bargain. My bottle cost just $65 for the 50ml.

5 Stars ★★★★★

EternityFresh
EternityFresh

Great perfume..the tobacco, honey and sandalwood are blended so well that the projection is irresistible. I love the powdery dry down. The different stages of this perfume are out of this world.

tamarababa
tamarababa

This is a weird scent which is pretty good on my skin, and is very unusual, I still don't know if it's worth the price-tag, but on my wishlist :)

polly golightly
polly golightly

tabacco, miele, ambra e incenso. eccellente!

olfactoryfan
olfactoryfan

Chergui is spectacular! Talk about instantaneous love at first sniff. This has nuances of many of my favourite fragrances seamlessly blended into a one stunning greatest hits compilation.

After the euphoria of the introduction which has the same heady impact of a trip to the spice stalls at a Moroccan souq, Chergui settles into a sustained heart phase that reveals the most beautiful honey note I've ever come across in a scent. The honey rests on a rich base of musky amber, toasted tobacco, incense and sandalwood. There's a sublime balance between the smooth notes and sharper spicier notes that project out of the composition.

To make things even better, both longevity and projection are excellent on my skin.

Chergui by Serge Lutens is quite simply divine. It's so good, I may need to hide it from my significant other.

Yushcan
Yushcan

Having many different nitche perfumes it's quite difficult to find something unique. But time to time we all wish to give ourselves a pleasure experiencing new-old fragrance. Thinking that way I look at recognized masters such as Annique Goutal, Lorenzo Villorezi, Greed, Serge Lutens.
SL perfumes needs significantly more time to be appreciated by wearer. In my opinion, it's quite uneasy to make right decision which SL perfume is exactly yours during few minutes in the shop. I would say, buy any and give a time... you will be rewarded. Chergui is the most hyped perfume form SL. It said a lot here about notes and quality. I would like to share my experience about Chergui. The idea was to purchase SL for the spring or summer time. I have already Gris Clear and it works for me during summer time very well. Chergui is usually recommended for cold season. However, when I sniffed it more and more, I found that it's all year round fragrance with different notes on the top depending on season or weather. Many reviewer are sure that this one is good but not unique. Probably, they are right because it's possible to find something alike on the market as regard to smell but not 100%, and the blended quality, play of notes, and I 'd say some enveloping mystic - makes it very special, very special not as regard to smell, but as regard to all characteristics together.
About season - I recommend to read about this perfume on SL web. It's all about desert, wind and still-smoldering memory.
It's long - lasting frag, the silage is enough you would be complimented. it's masculine frag for me, sure.
Enjoy wearing :)

invaderlark
invaderlark

This is one of the most hyped niche fragrances of all time and unfortunately I hate it. It reminds me of a hobby store here on the west coast of america called Michael's. It smells to me like tobacco and hay mixed with cinnamon scented pine cones. It isn't offensive it just has that store smell that I can't shake. It has fantastic longevity and decent projection. I would say sample it before you buy, I was going to blind buy it due to the love for it on youtube. It's sadly a miss for me.

nadeem.saleh85@gmail.com
nadeem.saleh85@gmail.com

It nice, beautiful and defiantly a unique fragrance. Tobacco, Honey and amber, that's all! I expected a little more of this perfume but I was disappointed. Would I wear it? yes! but would I buy it again, perhaps.

Upon application, you can smell an intense tobacco along with honey, then tobacco almost fades away and you are only left Amber and honey.

Marciu
Marciu

Chergui smells yummy! It has a very prominent honey note at the beggining. Then I start to feel a honey-tobbacco mix, it's very unique for me and I liked it! There is also a bit of smoke when it dries down, but just a bit.

The only thing I disliked is its poor longevity :( 2 hours and fades into skin scent, after 6 hours it's barely detectable.

All in all very good, but I won't buy it because it's lacking with longevity. Maybe it's my skin's fault...

SweetChouli
SweetChouli

I agree with the below reviewer that Chergui isn't the best amongst all Serge Lutens as the hype and stardom may lead one to believe. I do see how it has earned it's reputation, though.

Chergui is so rich and indulgent it almost leaves me feeling guilty. There is an unusual dichotomy about it which tears me between loving and hating it. It's so dark and tantalizing that it feels like a sin, but at the same time it's this wrongness that draws me to it. There is something unsettling and disturbing about it and if ever a perfume were sinful, Chergui would be it.

Q80
Q80

allot of people had givin' this perfume allot of stardom till i expected it to be the best among Serg Lutens's collection. it wasn't but it's quite good after all.

the opening wasn't that huge, or let's say smell less as i couldn't smell a thing as a top note (so as SL's other perfumes as well), after awhile the smell begun to change to a flowery cold breeze sensual kind of strong essence, and honestly quite accepted and now it's 7 hours since i sprayed it on a paper, so it lasts for 7+ hours but not as a shout out strong. after all it's a good perfume and deserves it's price as well.

a hint to the ones that classifies perfumes according to gender. flowers, fruits, and other essences are used in both men and women perfumes as people had already classified it. so you can't classify flowers and fruits according to gender. there is nothing called women perfumes, and men perfumes. it is called perfumes. so if you like it then neglect all other feed-backs cause this perfume shouts out your personality, it's you who decides which to have and which to wear cause you are the the leader of your own decisions, your enjoyment is only matters.

thehanna
thehanna

Clashing notes but nothing seems to stand out. Has a nauseating undetone like toothpaste or shampoo. Somehow smells perfumey and inexpensive with a heavy does of cashmeran. Not sure how this is such a cult favorite but must wear differently on different people.

I like Serge lutens but this is a miss for me.

Mary-Jayne
Mary-Jayne

My first Lutens! If this goes the same way as my love for Guerlain I am going to be in trouble!

This is beautiful. I was unsure what I would think of a fragrance with such a strong tobacco note, worried I would smell like a stale smoker (would you believe the reason I managed to kick my cigarette habit last year was so my perfumes smelled better, and as it seemed a waste to spend good money on perfume and then mask the beauty with stale smoke fumes?!)
Anyway, no worries about smelling like I had been hanging out in smokers corner! This is lovely.

On me this smells quite "masculine", yet somehow in a feminine way? That possibly makes no sense! I get most strongly the tobacco, incense, musk and honey in the beginning, mellowing into a warm, sandalwood, smoky, honey smell, sweet, old fashioned with the tobacco smell, it reminded me of the old vanilla pipe tobacco that my great grandfather smoked when I was very young. In fact the memory was so strong I was surprised, as he passed away when I was only just 4!
I really find this beautiful, inviting, intriguing, warm, comforting - it is lovely. I haven't had a proper full days wear yet as I don't think it is suitable for all occasions, but I keep spraying onto my wrist and then sitting with my arm by my face, inhaling deeply and smiling.
On me longevity and sillage are both moderate. Lasts very well on clothes, into the next day, on skin maybe about 6 hours.

Interestingly, I decided to get my hubby to try this as it seemed very unisex and quite masculine on me, and thought it would smell delicious on him. Well it did, but on him it smelled so much sweeter, warmer and actually very feminine! In fact I think it smelled even better on him than on me, although it was too feminine for him to pull off. Bizarre. His skin really picked up the amber, sandalwood and honey notes, where mine emphasised the smoke, tobacco, incense.
I wonder if our skin type makes a difference, mine being oily and olive to his very pale (redhead pale) and dry skin? As Mitsouko on him smells like an extremely elegant floral bouquet, a scent I would expect to smell on a well healed middle class lady in her 40s, but on me is an earthy, woody, honey, bready scent. And Dsquared velvet forest wood on me is green earth, green plants, and outsideyness on him is pure parma violet!

Either way this is a beautiful composition, I really do love this (which is lucky for a blind buy of this price!)

spidola
spidola

I guess I have tested approximately half of Serge Lutens perfumes… I approached all the times with great curiosity and attention, with the hope to find, at least this time, something that I really love. I have tried to use only a drop, to wait hours and hours, but what can I say… I do recognize the high quality and really interesting combinations, but no, the answer is always no – I would not like to wear them, as there is always something that bothers me a lot. It feels like there is some black magic mixed to these fumes and my subconscious does not want to accept it… (The only one I like rather much is Daim Blond).
This time I found myself with the scent so loved by so many, and I admit I like it ... More precise ... I'd love it , if it were wear by a man (preferably by the night), but not by me.
On my skin is the tobacco holding the flag and there is the honey which gives it a sweet support, concomitantly with smoky amber which adds sensuality. I cannot smell any flowery notes.
The silage is not too heavy, but the longevity is extreme.
Anyway, I’ll keep testing and searching, maybe I’ll find “the love” among the other half of Serge Lutens’s perfumes I haven’t tested yet.

brada
brada

Ilove this stuff.Warm,delicate and strong at the same time.A desert wind that enchant you.

ceebaby
ceebaby

Chergui is so subtle and sweet on my skin, and that's exactly how I like it. It accomplishes what I want it to: smell great on my skin.

The honey isn't overpowering, and maybe that's because the tobacco tones it down. Such a wonderful blend. I will always own a bottle.

Jay T
Jay T

Cela me rappelle de Volutes par Diptyque. Malheureusement, il est parti en une heure sur ma peau.

nadiraydin
nadiraydin

Rich, warm, sweet rosey tobacco.

A lot of people talk about spiciness and honey; yes they exist. But for me rose, iris and tobacco are one step ahead.

Personally i'm not a fan of rose-y scents, even i'm at the opposite site! But here, it's delicious. Yeah i mean edible. And it's not too feminen. Spicy-woody background gives it a masculine side. Incense? Yes possibly there, but not as a main instrument...

Chergui stays long. Sillage starts powerfull and then it becomes calm.

I think it's for the cold days when you wear your jacket and visit a classic art museum or a significant library... %100 sophisticated feeling.

One of the bests of its class. Must try.

stefafra
stefafra

it is very sweet, honey sweet, a dark, slighty bitter honey like chestnut honey can be. The tobacco is very much in the background, the end result for me is honey mixed with old spice aftershave...not really nice, just to sweet and heavy.

luna rebel
luna rebel

I can't believe this fragrance doesn't last on some people. NOTHING lasts on me but Chergui is a beast. It is a heavy hitter which reminds me of a classic oriental perfume. Something about this just conjures up images of well-dressed gentlemen smoking pipe tobacco at a burlesque show. It is a very old world smell. Something I imagine people wearing a century ago. If I didn't know that this was launched in 2005, I would imagine it had the same rich history along the lines of Molinard's Habanita.

In my mind, Chergui is not very "modern" but that is what makes it so great. Very rarely do I come upon a fragrance that transports me to another time era. Chergui is warm, beautiful, delicious. It smells of incense and fresh flavored pipe tobacco. Granted, it is not a smell for all occasions. You have to be in a certain mood to wear it. It also very heady and strong, so you must spray with caution. Chergui personifies a more masculine vibe than it does feminine, but I make it work and I know other dames could too.

If you are a lover of orientals and tobacco, I suggest you give Chergui a try. It is very good quality and will last and project beautifully. The only downside to me is that it comes in a splash bottle and I have to decant it into little sprayers.

Deefit
Deefit

Wow! A thousand times wow! It is not often that I immediately am captivated by a fragrance, let alone a niche fragrance. I'm usually quite picky but when I received this bottle in a swap (thank you again Tomaz, SO MUCH!!) just now and I took the bottle out of its very carefully packaged box, I got a very promising first whiff of what is inside this bottle.

So, I took off the cap and sprayed some on, carefully. Just a little. Carefully brought this to my nose, exhaled a bit and then softly inhaled..

WOW! <3

This has a note that I recognize from Santal Majuscule, only it's softer in Chergui. More round, and sweet. Most Lutens' I've smelled were very strong, usually too strong for my taste. But this, wow! I'm so very excited by this! When I picture a Moroccan desert wind, it makes it even more beautiful. I am totally captivated by it and I can't stop smelling my wrist.

So yes, I know this has a vast group of people loving it but I was a bit scared that besides sweet it would have a particular note in there that would put me off. However, this is not the case. It's balanced nicely and the ingredients are pure. The quality is better than many mainstream or designer scents, though I can't imagine a lot of people disliking it. I think it's safe to say this is one of the more approachable niche offerings out there?

I'm somewhat glad I did not get a bottle of Santal Majuscule, as I have been doubting about that one for a long time. I really liked that, but sometimes I felt like I didn't want to smell like that. But now, Chergui has come along. Bringing me that part of Santal Majuscule I really loved but in sucha sweet, round and refined way. I am a VERY happy man!

shirlis
shirlis

I rescued this from my Mother's closet intending to wear it, after having tried a friends but I haven't fallen in love with it enough to even take cellophane off. For me it's a little bit too earthy perhaps but based on the other reviews here I'm hoping Luten's creation will grow on me. To me it smells almost church-like and brings to mind a silent empty chapel, nestled deep in the hot Italian countryside.

Contessa01
Contessa01

Thi sreminds me of Obsession by Calvin Klein in some ways. Although a lot more refined. It's quite masculine I think and not my type of fragrance. It is strong on the sandalwood and tobacco.

SmutRavageur
SmutRavageur

I'm a consistent and relentless blind buyer and I don't apologize for it. Perhaps it's a vice, and maybe I need an intervention, but it's a joy to do and I'll continue doing it with a lot of researching and review-reading preceding the blind buying. I blind bought Chergui out of sheer hype and here I am, underwhelmed and disappointed.

I don't hate Chergui, but I'm far from being enthralled or filled to the brim with anticipation to wear it. I've worn it four times now, and on different types of days. First, I wore it on a fall evening. The second time, on a warm fall day. The third time, on a rainy afternoon. The fourth time, when it was freezing cold outside.

On my skin, Chergui is undoubtedly subtle. I bet I could spray up to 15 times and it still wouldn't be cloying, but rest assured for my own sake as well as the consideration of others, I won't be doing that. The longevity goes from alright to pretty good on me.

I've read reviews mentioning the hay in the fragrance, and how the fragrance overall is rich and complex. I don't get any hay nor do I perceive any richness and complexity in Chergui. Due to its subtle qualities, I find it light and soft, and that's perfectly fine, and as far as the complexities, I see none, as the scent -- to my nose -- is straight up damp tobacco and light honey. The honey is like somebody who is shy, looking down and nervously saying "Hi" while the tobacco is like the rugged guy in the corner of the room, keeping to himself but making his appearance known and recognized.

If I could go back in time, I wouldn't have bought a bottle of Chergui. There's no "wow" factor here, like so many people have commented on. It's just a bottle that's there, on my shelf. I don't know when to wear it. Romantically? Maybe, but of the girls whose opinions I've asked, none were blown away. At a formal event? Yeah, it's wear-worthy, but I have many other fragrances in my collection that I'd rather wear to such an event. Casually? Never.

I am not going to sell or swap my bottle of Chergui, however. I'm going to continue to revisit this scent every now and again, because everyone's nose progresses, matures and develops. Who knows, I might come back to it in five years and fall in love with it, but right now, it's just 'there' on my shelf without serving a purpose to me. I never reach for it.

Also, for what it's worth, I don't believe in the whole "fragrances expire!" schtick. If you properly store a bottle, it will last for longer than you can imagine. I have two vintage bottles of Dior's Fahrenheit (they were my late father's that he purchased/received as gifts in 1989 and 1993) and both smell terrific even to this day in 2014. Imagine that.

simg24
simg24

By error i ordered a bottle of Santal Majuscule instead of the highly regarded Chergui. I must say i was blown away by how great Santal was and of course doing some digging it's amazing how little play that one gets. Anyway i quicky got Chergui, expecting it to be all that it's hyped to be and well... i was very disappointed. It's good and that's about it... very sweet, very linear and a bit mainstream. Lesson learnt... sometimes experiences are better when off the beaten path. Although i'm new to the house, this one wasn't a home run for me.

Roman86
Roman86

Reading some of these reviews I was excited to test out Chergui, but then when I received the fragrance I initially thought I got a bad bottle because it was nowhere as magical as some of these reviews made it out to be. On another forum someone said that the batch code starting with "V" is most likely from 2013 which is the bottle I have so I definitely didn't get bad/old juice. A couple of reviewers mentioned that a possible reformulation most likely went under way and I am now certain that I have a reformulated bottle. It's still a pleasant fragrance in some regards but I expected it to be bold, rich and lush being a eau de parfum concentration but instead I have something that I had to spray many times and it's still a tame and subdued fragrance without much character. Perhaps Chergui is a victim of a reformulation but this is my first time introduced to this fragrance so I have no other choice but to judge it based on those merits. It's a good fragrance but I was expecting more.

Update: I think this one will actually grow on me.

babayaga
babayaga

Not sure why my recent review of chergui disappeared, but here goes another try...
it opens with a weird minty note that I find absolutely horrible. That fades eventually (maybe after an hour) to a nice, typical warm SL scent. I can't bear to put it on again to remind myself of the details to rewrite my review... just can't get past that minty note, which is probably what someone else described as "cherry tobacco." Gave me a headache. I thought it was horrid.

mysticaldeath
mysticaldeath

WOW this opens very strong like all of SL cresaions, but quickly settles down to an amazing sun baked field at the end of summer. dry, rich, hazy, nostalgic beautiful. a little on the sweet side, but if this last sunset of summer had a smell this would be it. ecstasy

Merdogan1
Merdogan1

Türkiye'de maalesef satın alınması imkansız veya bulunması çok çok zor bir parfüm. Önce 5ml'lik deneme şişesini sonra da doğrudan Serge Lutens'in kendi satış noktasından 50ml'lik orijinal ürünü bir arkadaşıma aldırtmıştım. Ardından gittigidiyor adlı siteden satın alıp kesinlikle orjinalini aldığıma emin olduğum parfümdür. Diğer pek çok parfümde benzerina rastlayamayacağınız kadar güzel bir koku. Neye benzetsem bilmiyorum ama istisnasız olarak hayatımda herkesin beğendiği ve en çok ismi sorulan parfümüm Chergui oldu. Tek istisna arada bir kaç kişi hacı misi yakıştırması yaptı ama hacı misine benzetmek için hiç parfüm kullanmamış ve sadece hacı misi kokularını biliyor olmanız lazım. Kaldı ki onda bile bunun hacı mislerine hiç benzemediğini azıcık dikkatli bir burun anlar. Onların öküzlüğü diyeyim size :) Özellikle 25 yaş üzeri, klasik giyimi tercih eden arkadaşlara kış ve soğuk bahar günlerinde şiddetle öneririm. Ne koktuğunu hiç algılayamadım ama kesinlikle pipo tütünü veya üreticinin belirttiği hiç bir notayı algılatmadan muhteşem ve özel bir koku olarak kullanmaya kıyamadığım tek parfümdür. Kesinlikle karışık baharat ve bal kokusunu hiç rahatsız etmeyen bir tatlılıkla alıyorsunuz. Hatta ben biraz ağaç reçinesi, bal, karışık baharat kokusu algılıyorum. Baharat kokusu hiç sevmeyen birini bile kendine aşık edebilir. Yani övmek için yazacak çok şeyim var ama uzatmak istemiyorum. Türkiye'de orjinalini bulabiliyorsanız veya alabiliyorsanız kör alış yapın ve alın. Trilyonda bir ihtimal siz beğenmeseniz bile sizin dışınızda çevrenizdeki herkes beğenecektir.
(Edit 15/01/2014): Bugün elime markanın çok popüler olan "Ambre Sultan" ve "Fille en Aiguilles" parfümleri ile bir kaç ürünü daha geldi. Açıkcası Serge Lutens'in denediğim 5 adet ürünündeki erkeklere uygun en güzeli açık ara Chergui'dir.

Not : Yorumlarımı ve özel mesajlarıma cevaplarımı sadece Türkçe olarak yapacağım. Böylece yabancı dil konusunda sıkıntı yaşayan arkadaşlara gerçekten denediğim parfümlerdeki kendi görüşlerimi paylaşmayı amaçlıyorum.

Daniel.Friedrich42
Daniel.Friedrich42

this has to be the deepest and most complex scent in my collection. It's very hard to take apart because how well everything is blended. I can't split it up into the traditional 3 phases. I'll try to give an impression of the overall feel of the scents and the main players in this.

Before i start: i'm not getting hay in there. There's something in there that could be very dry hay but is closer to juniper berries for me.

Right off the start it has a super balmy quality. Like taking honey flavored with all the other notes and rubbing your skin with it. The honey feels very natural and serves as the base and the "carrier" for everything else. The honey stays with me all through the wearing. The general feeling of the scent is very moist like rubbing yourself in scented oils not a typical spray-on parfum.
In the beginning it's sharper with juniper and a kind of incense-vibe going on.
Later on i get a bit more floral qualities from rose and iris which also adds some powderyness to the scent.
In the heart there's the flavored tobacco supported by sandalwood and amber from the base. In the last stages i get some muskyness that kinda keeps the base from just being sweet and potentially cloying.

A very warm,mysterious and cozy scent with the potential to draw people towards you because they want to smell you.

It lasts a good 12 hours for me and projects quite strongly. it gets noticed and I've gotten lots of compliments for it.

More on the masculine side but females can definitely pull it off

In the end this won't be for everybody but if you like orientals or complex scents in general you should check it out

warlockss
warlockss

smells just ok . smells alot like midnight in paris . its got a leathery vanilla bean, sweet soft honey tobacco, tonka , amber, raspberry-cherry . its a weird smell the dry down is where this comes alive . doesnt smell like a its going to be a projection beast its really soft and subtle . im proberly happy that i didnt pay too much for these because its not making me go wow . To me it just smells like a stronger version of midnight in paris the edp version without the rubber note .
7.5-10

josevancouver
josevancouver

This is a beautiful, complex, intoxicating scent. It is sweet, but not overly sweet. I sense that this scent could be perceived differently if it was worn in warm weather or over-sprayed. To me, this is a fall/winter cold-weather scent. It has great sillage and projection but needs to be applied with caution. I love this stuff...it is sensual and cozy....wow!

brightstar
brightstar

Chergui opens very sharp and pungent. It's and intoxicating blen of tobacco, smoky amber and a little bit of honey. In the drydown it's more subtle and sweet. It's a cozy fragrance, perfect for a staying-at-home cold night wrapped in a warm blanket. I found it perfect for Christmas time. I can't get tired of it. It's just perfect. More feminine than unisex.

Miss_Nicole
Miss_Nicole

Chergui was love at first sniff. This is an intoxicating blend of sweet, cherry tobacco, hay which serves to give this frag a dry but not dehydrated feel, honey that's not too sickenly sweet, amber, rose and powdery iris that serves to soak up some of the heady notes of the incense and musk making this composition wearable and not cloying. The notes all work hand in hand and become an intoxicating symphony to my little sniffer.
Every single time I wear Chergui I'm transported into the deepest depths of my imagination. Yes, fragrances do that to me. Correction, SOME do that to me. This frag is the epitome of a cold winters night sitting by a crackling fireplace with a warm, soft blanket, a cup of tea and a good read. It's cozy but also has depth. It's inviting and warm. This is truly a masterpiece of a fragrance by Mr. Sheldrake.
Fortunately there are samples available almost everywhere so I highly urge you to give this a test drive. If you do blind buy, Chergui is extremely reasonably priced and does not break the bank.
As far as gender goes - anyone. Male. Female. Wear whatever you like and strikes your fancy
Projection- this one projects nicely on me for the first three hours then after that moderately projects until the end of this fragrances life span- never going below moderate projection.
Lasting power- solid 8 hours.
Overall ( as if you can't tell already) I am fascinated, have a deep appreciation for and am infatuated by this. Shocker, right? ;) go get yourself a sample...ASAP!

johngreenink
johngreenink

Chergui is a sweet, ambery perfume of many facets both dark and light. Tobacco plays a major role; this tobacco is a blond, vanilla-tinged and fruity sort, the kind that you'd smell in a pipe the day after it's been smoked. Bee's wax and honey add a slight animal edge, but it is gentle. There is an oud-like shimmery quality which is clearly a metaphor for the air and winds that I think Lutens is referring to in the perfume's name.

There are very distinct stages of this perfume; you really need to wear it for a few hours. Some of the nuances don't appear until about an hour after applying (the nice hay/coumarin scent, sandalwood, these are foundations that rise later on.) There is a lot of evolving color - brown, red, white, amber.

Even though there is some mystery to Chergui, there is also a lot of comfort to this perfume. This is hard to describe, but it's something like recent history - recent past... a leather coat that your father wore, a pipe that your grandfather smoked, flowers that your mother dried. It's not nostalgic, but like a cool whirlwind of recent scent memory that flows over you. And like all memories, darkness and light are intermingled.

amelie
amelie

Smoky amber, this is what I smell, very pleasant for you and those around you indeed. Totally sweet honey and therefore more feminine to me.Perhaps it's easy to overdo, not at all difficult, but still powerful. Reminds me of Habanita L'Esprit by Molinard, which is lighter compared to her stronger sister. Winter is the right season for Chergui, it probably is difficult when gets warmer.

-RJ-seventh
-RJ-seventh

Too sweet. Vanille and honey shadow everything else.

hamtoo
hamtoo

Putting aside some differences, to my nose Chergui is very similar to Gaultier’s Le Male. I checked all reviews in here and came to the conclusion that I’m the only one who thinks (or smells) so. Both fragrances share only two notes: amber and sandalwood. I don’t know if this is enough to get the similarity or if I received a fake sample. Somebody else noted the similarity? Thanks

Yogamarc
Yogamarc

Wow. I don't get it. A sharp, powdery scent even after a dry down. I've tried it a few days now and had to wipe it off both times. I can't get to the honey, tobacco as the strong powder overwhelms and overbears. The description and reviews prompted me to blind buy but we all have different perceptions to scent and different emotional reactions. For me, it's quite repellent. I'll be cautiously sampling from now on.

Well this is a big hitter from Serge Lutens and I'm yet to review it but as we come into the colder months this juice is essential.
I remember being stuck between this and five o'clock au gingembre for my warming winter fragrance from Serge Lutens and this lost out...just.
However, going back for another sniff I've realized (and I'm trying to tell my wallet) there's room for both of them in my life.
I believe this one to be a better seller and more popular than FO'CAG and at the time I favoured the underdog.
In hindsight they're both amazing!!!
Sweet, creamy, tobacco and sandalwood with the warmth of amber & honey plus sweet spice of incense. All this creating a boozy warming feel...it's adorable and nothing over powering anything else.
Expertly blended genius from Serge Lutens a house that produce consistently outstanding fragrances.

BlueMoon
BlueMoon

CINNAMON GONE CRAZY

I just looked over the notes - what the heck? No cinnamon??

It took hours for this juice to calm itself down to where I could begin to enjoy its complexity. Like a hyperactive child who eventually climbs into your lap and gives you a loving hug.

This fragrance needs a work around for its suffocating come-on. Maybe a dab on the chest, two little dabs on the neck, and one on each wrist. That should do it.

The powder that others talk (complain?) about is not grandmotherly, but it is a bit feminine. After 8 hours, I get a somewhat rich, powdered cinnamon - similar to sprinkling cinnamon and sugar over buttered toast.

As a good samaritan, wait a few hours after the initial spray before entering a crowded elevator.

amer1212
amer1212

I love many of serge lutens scents..but chergui had a special place in my heart & one of best serges scents & most popular & specific .

Chergui is a Maroccian wind comes every year hot & dry like the scent and gets warm with exotic fillings .

Chergui starts dark warm oriental sweet with honey & tobacco ..then gets more complex smoky rose musky amber with sandal wood touch and iris so gets little powdery & hay with tobacco & honey makes the dry sweet special Mixture with wonderful sweet smoky aroma .

Chergui... is Dark..Warm..Elegant..Luxury..High quality..Sensitive..Complex..Specific...characteristic.

the longevity is perfect on my skin 10 hrs & projection very good & noticeable .

Just for special events dates or romantic occasions

For this Maroccian Diamond i give it 10/10 .

One of my lovely scents from serge lutens .

REVIEW OF DARRSHAN

wen i first tried i was not able to understand at all wat is tis, but slowly after many wearings i ave fallen in love with tis scent , cant stay witout tis stuff , amazing specially in winters perfect

some of others scents for winters r really great r

tomfor tobacco vanille

hermes ambre narguille

bond no 9 new harlem

leathermountain
leathermountain

I am stunned by the bitterness of this scent. And by its sweetness. These sensations continue to contrast, rather than to blend or to balance. I can't understand where so many folks are getting 'cozy.' I would go with 'challenging.'

woodlandwalk
woodlandwalk

Chergui is a warm, dry/sweet, cosy perfume, perfect for winter.

It reminds me a lot of Casmir which isn't dissimilar in its notes, but it's drier (nice dry tobacco) and less sweet than Casmir and doesn't have the peachy top notes, making it a perfect unisex. It shares with Casmir a 'skin-scent' animalic note which I think is mostly to do with honey and hay in Chergui (possibly cinnamon and cassis in Casmir)

I find the silage quite low, so it's more for day-time wear to my mind. Considering the popularity of this perfume, it strikes me as fairly simplistic. Nice as it is, the dry-down doesn't hugely impress me, and I do believe that Havana Vanille (L'Artisan) has more complexity and interest if you're looking for a sweet tobacco perfume with a little bite. Havana Vanille is more distinct and has a stronger, but not too powerful silage.

The feel of Chergui is cosy and safe, sensual rather than sexy. This does have a sultry quality to it though, and I can see it on a well dressed, softly-spoken dark-haired man. A sort of Gregory Peck vibe. I personally wouldn't buy a full bottle though so I'm quite happy with a decant of this pleasant perfume

Germany
Germany

I really like this one. I was eyeing it up for some time but always thought it might be to spicy and dark and heavy but I tested it today and I was so pleasantly surprised. I really like this , it has the typical Lutens style, its airy and therefor quite easy to wear, its sweet but not cloying sweet as it's still fresh and airy and even a little soapy , maybe due to the rose and the iris and the musk ,it gives the whole composition a nice fresh twist that reminds me of an amazing soap.
So despite the incense and Tabaco along with the amber it is still light and elegant. You can smell the sandalwood through and get different wafts of sweetness, soapy ness then woodiness , it's really quite something.

I think it might be my next must have ! Great for either a woman or man.

nizzagirl
nizzagirl

I wonder if anybody else gets very sour dry down. I'm getting a kind of very rich and luxury, deep and velvety Dolce & Gabbana.

PolarBear2
PolarBear2

This is a beautiful one.... in these days when the only change in perfume is to add leather, this is something apart from it all....but one has to let it stay in the skin for awhile because the initial blast changes into something soft, earthy with honey... love it !

ateghipc
ateghipc

This is much too blaring for me, and the sandalwood is really fighting with the tobacco on this one. The honey here smells very natural and authentic as well, but I'm not convinced by this concoction. To me, this smells a bit cheap and there is a weirdly strong balsamic element here. The duration is very good however, and this doesn't come off as heavy at all even though I expected it too.

Splashfrag12
Splashfrag12

Its my second review !!!
Mannnn I am in love with this frag.
Its just so damn beautiful.
I stay in INDIA and right now its bit cold during evenings..!!
When ever I apply this perfume on my skin,I just cant stop myself whiffing my hand every now and then...It makes me crazy .
No words for "CHERGUI": You took my heart away.
I enjoy it a lot
Just that if it would had better sillage I would have made this my Signature Scent.
Never the less,I am liking this fragrance and waiting for winter season to come to see what wonder does this perfume do..!!!
PEOPLE GO AND BUY ONE FOR YOURSELF.!!
BLIND BUY WOULD NEVER LET YOU DOWN TOO !!

merzeng
merzeng

عطری خوشبو و باکلاس با ترکیبات اصلی عسل،تنباکو، علوفه خشک شده و کمی گل رز. بوی عسل و علوفه رایحه غالب این عطر است و سپس تنباکو. نمیدانم بوی علوفه دام به مشامتان خورده یا نه، اما این رایحه به همراه عسل و تنباکو به این عطر بویی نسبتا سنگین و با وقار میده. پخش بو و ماندگاری جالبی نداره و برای دو سه ساعت خوبه.من خریدمش چون از بوی تنباکو لذت میبرم و همچنین رایحه این عطر تکراری نیست. باز هم میگم اگر دنبال بوی واقعی تنباکو هستید توباکو وانیل از تام فورد حرف اول رو میزنه. در ضمن این کار برای من از بک تو بلک کیلیان دلپذیر تر هست.

christianne1
christianne1

Serge Lutens always starts out with a bang...always an interesting opening, whether you care for it or not, it is certainly rarely boring or generic (give or take a L'eau or two) and Chergui is no exception. I must admit, after all the reviews I read before buying it, I was just a little let down when I initially applied it. It smelled nice, a little masculine, but even though I wasn't overwhelmed in the initial opening, there was something definitely trying to pull me in. Kind of making my Scooby ears go up.

It has a medicinal quality at first but not at all unpleasant. I rather like that smell. Then it starts turning more toward the tobacco/leather/sandalwood (and rather masculine) and I thought it might be a little too manly for me but it quickly settles into a warm, soft, sweet, musky, spicy and addictive unisex that is impossible to label. Some might even call it feminine (hopefully in sane way) but it really isn't. It is like a mood ring of scents....it can be masculine or feminine depending on who is wearing it. But no matter who is wearing it, there is no denying the sexiness. I think my knees would buckle if I smelled this on a man. They are getting a little rubbery just smelling it on myself.

carneiro7
carneiro7

Not a review.

To SDVHC,

Someone did not take the pills today...

EmilyTheStrange

SDVHC - I don't usually buy into the "talk amongst ourselves" banter in review columns here but felt the need to this time.

Maybe your reviews keep getting banned because you're using a very offensive word (and not in the innocent context either - not that anybody uses the word 'faggot' to describe a bunch of sticks in 2013 anyway).

Anyway, this perfume is amazing. It's amazing on me (a woman), amazing on my husband (a man) and it's equally as amazing on homosexual men and women as well. Perfumes don't discriminate - neither should human beings (ie YOU).

desertrat

With all due respect and in my humble opinion, of course... Age nor sexual orientation need be a factor with any fragrance. If you like it on you and you get positive feedback, then enjoy wearing in good health! Variety, after all, IS the spice of life! With regard to Chergui, DIVINE!

ian85
ian85

Unisex, like a lot of fragrances, maybe all fragrances; and it's not a joke.
Perhaps some people fear to be not masculine enough... Pathetic when it becomes an obsession.
Wear what you want.

Mighty lion
Mighty lion

Spicy warm and slightly gourmand.. The hay note is prominent almost gives it a nutty scent, along with the amber and a healthy splash of honey makes this a cold weather delight.. Picture a cozy night by the fireplace with your love interest snuggling and enjoying the warmth while it's bitter cold outside.. This scent will drive her wild while nestling up into your warm embrace..Heard a lot about this frag before smelling for myself and I must say it measures up to expectations.. Nice addition to any Niche collection and adding the warmth to any Chilly to cold night by envoking sweet hot passion..

judyk

I'm surprised how many reviewers *don't* mention the hay, which for me is the most prominent note. It's so unusual and comforting - it's what really makes this perfume for me (still one of my top 5 a year on).

Brenao
Brenao

Great scent, better for winter, at opening you can feel the honey, from beginning to end. It lasts forever. Very strong, but amazing on right day and occasion. Totally unissex. Amazing, but watch out, this is a bomb. Very oriental.

MLK
MLK

At first spray on my skin this fragrance seemed very strong and spicy, I initially thought, too spicy for me. However, after only a few minutes this fragrance becomes so warm, sensuous with a soft amber and honey blend. Just beautiful and so glad I purchased it. This is great for males and females - especially in winter. Another Serge Lutens classic.

Pipipakiri
Pipipakiri

For me this was the introduction to the world of a better class of perfume. One sniff and I felt like I was falling in love. Yes slightly dramatic I know but it was a strong reaction to this scent.

It smells quite different depending on how you apply it. If it's dabbed on it quickly has the sweet honey amber smell that is very cosy and snuggly. If it's sprayed for me it has the smoky notes to the fore at the outset then smells incensy, followed around 40 minutes later with the sweetened honey effect.

Whichever way you go I think it's a beautiful scent and it lasts a long time on clothes. 1 day after spraying and the scent is still very noticeable.

It is also a great introduction to the Lutens line which I am besotted with and it gets to be quite difficult to select only one perfume to purchase at a time as I have a list of wants that is growing longer and longer.

Anyway my advice is to go grab a bottle and spray yourself to your heart's delight.

itsrachmang
itsrachmang

Bought it because of the hype. Used maybe 10% of it...but it's not one of those perfumes that keep me sniffing my wrists. Or it doesn't make me excited to catch a whiff of it on my clothes.

I'm up for swapping with anyone on here! Let me know what you have up for swaps! I'm into Le Labo fragrances right now. But I also love other Serge Lutens frags, or Diptyque, Frederic Malle, Tom Ford. But really please send me offers if you're intersted.

Thanks!

WOW - what a perfume!!

Smooth, rich tobacco.
Fresh Honey.
Fine quality Incense burning.
Delicate - yet 'serious' musk teamed with Amber.

This. is. INCREDIBLE.

I don't get the floral or sandalwood notes but I get everything I've listed above - and the best part is, it doesn't seem to be changing. This is absolutely gorgeous - it's perfumes like these that remind me what a stellar note Tobacco really is when it's joined by the right notes. This *is* smokey, but in a completely sophisticated, feminine, perfect way. There is nothing smelling synthetic or overdone in Chergui...it's simply outstanding.

This is my first Serge Lutens experience and WOW. I really do see what all the fuss/hype is about now. VERY impressed. Thank you to the beautifully kind fragrantica member for my awesome decant of this :) ♥

gaurav.verma2308
gaurav.verma2308

Chergui is a premium fragrance with a quality of "LOVE IT OR HATE IT"...
This perfume needs to be understood and i not for common lay man..
Best for Winters !!
LOvely is the word for the gem .!

In India it is available with

Splash Fragnance
+91 8956139654
+91 8793896846

Alyssa79
Alyssa79

today is the day I get what this scent is about.

I've tried it on hot hot days (in the 90's) and decided to go with it today since it is cool and dreary out. Wow what a difference! I 'm getting the honey, tobacco and balminess that i was looking for where all i got on the hot days was a powdery scent.

I wanted to love and appreciate ths one and as of today I now do!

faatay4
faatay4

chergui is in the elite class of scents. when wearing an elite class scent, it becomes an experience. raw honey and hay performs well with the tobacco on an amber founation. a must for my roster.

review of DARRSHAN

Once u understand this stuff u will never be without it.great, love it, bought 3 bottles , so i wont run out of bottles

mrs2241
mrs2241

تمام محصولاتش یه قیمته...400درهم امارات

Sofreshandsoclean
Sofreshandsoclean

Amber and honey what a pancake ready, sweet quicksand, Fortunately it is filled with sandalwood, tobacco and hay. So I don't sink in.

"Chergui (wind), a hot, dry wind in Morocco coming from the Sahara and Hence the east" Wikipedia

Hmm well that was the idea, I suppose. That is indeed a beating delicious breeze they have in the Sahara desert then.

On my skin something pretty amazing take place, suddenly I'm in an oasis in the desert. With roses and iris and the most feminine musk with just the right bite. Fresh tobacco leaves, soft sandalwood and almost edible roasted nuts in honey. And the hay becomes.... wheat straw.

Refined Sahara beauty, and a amber beast. FB worthy. LOVE.

Scentrist
Scentrist

Reading through the effusive reviews, one would expect that Chergui would be "orgasm in a bottle". No matter how many times I've tried this, I return to the same conclusion, though, that I'm among the seeming minority who hasn't jumped on the bandwagon.

For me, this isn't one of the better Serge scents. I get the honey and tobacco, but I feel that Fumerie Turque is a much better rendition of those notes. The honey here reminds me more of a confection than a note presented to highlight to other elements, so the result is nearly a sweet and sticky mess on my skin.There's hay, rose, iris, incense and sandalwood. Figuring out what was intended here is largely a mystery I don't want to invest time in solving. Rather than presenting as unique and inspired, this comes across on my skin as confusing and mundane.

On the positives, it's good quality juice with great longevity and decent sillage. The men's fragrance bloggers seem to view this as a "panty dropper", but it's not something that either I or my wife liked -- leaves me unsure of whose panties fell to the floor on this count. Not poor quality of materials, but the end result for me felt perplexing, not something I'd consider a go-to scent. So put me in the category of those that aren't buying the hype on this scent.

It's not awful. It's just not that remarkable, either.

Alqusaimi
Alqusaimi

كنت حريص على اقتناء العطر لكثرة ما سمعت عنه، عموما العطر معقد بشكل لم اتمكن معه من الاستمتاع به، وصدقا ندمت على النقود التي دفعتها ثمنا له.

EseveN
EseveN

Absolutely GORGEOUS.

10/10.

Perfection (-:

ladykarl
ladykarl

I was meant to try Chergui months ago when i first began my search for scent via perfumes. It was on the top of my list as not only probably, but as 'for certain' this would be 'the perfume' that all other perfumes would stand below.
Chergui soon moved to the bottom and up and (finally) in the middle of the very long list in importance as i tore myself between thinking it might end my hunt to early; or it might fall short of 'perfectly fit' to thinking I might not like the smell at all and feel some resentment toward it or the house of Serge Lutens or perfumes altogether.
'Chergui' became the answer to questions that were not clearly formed
and the defining ideal of my perfume perspective.

My opinion of the perfume pyramid has really changed throughout these months.
I no longer believe in perfume hierarchy.
Perfume doesn't need to be 'good smelling' to be liked.
There are perfumes that i barely like the smell of at all that give me a certain feeling in my stomach like butterflies or that somehow move me emotionally that make the actual smell of the perfume close to obsolete.
Sometimes it seems like a perfume is 'built' too well that limits my connection to using it, or giving it the sense that it 'belongs' to something else that is not me;
a representation like a t-shirt with a logo that i may or may not depending on such a variety or reasons want to wear or show.
There are perfumes that i like just fine that make me feel 'safe' or remind me of a person that i've liked and that makes the perfume a success because its an immediate connection to a thought and memory
There are also perfumes that i have worn during particular periods of my life that were full of difficulty and challenges ( when i most tend to wear perfume)
and its like 'no matter what that bloody perfume smelled like i wore it, i felt like a warrior, and it will belongs in my closet like a trophy

Chergui may be because of the power of its background to me personally, i am unable to smell or view clearly. I hear all these voices echo as if through a stereo about it being 'okay' or smelling cocoa, or this or that, or how about 'its just exactly as it should be'
and so Im gonna go with that
It's just exactly as it should be.

May or may not be a landmark in perfume but it is definitely a landmark for me :)

nastyamason
nastyamason

It is okay. It would be great on a man, but I find it too masculine for me. And I usually love unisex fragrances. I guess I do not particularly like tobacco note after all, at least not so much of it. It overwhelms the fragrance. Chergui delivers exactly what it promises. A lot of tobacco, honey, hay, amber, incense. I will use my blindly bought full bottle just for experience but will not buy another. And, compared to other Lutens I have, Chergui is lacking in sillage and longevity.

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

I sincerely hope the brand new bottle I just got from Fragrance .net is bad because I otherwise do not understand the hype with Chergui. I am totally not impressed,with this fragrance after reading and watching so many reviews. Got to the point of buying this one as a blind buy because all of the high scores. When I sprayed it was a total disappointment. No nice smell of tobacco (was expecting something like SL Fumerie Turque but nothing of the like), no honey as I know it from other SL fragrances, no exotic smell of oriental spices (was expecting a middle eastern spice vibe but do not get any spices at all), and certainly no feeling of a dry wind that many people describe. All I got was an old lady sweet scent and the hay note.

Again, it may be that Fragance .net is not the best place to buy niche colognes at discount prices for fear you get what you pay for and Chergui deserves another try by my buying it directly from Serge Lutens -- lesson well learnt. But boy, what a disastrous disappointment this was. I had to spray it 12 times before my wife could tell me she could smell it within my personal bubble radius and then it lasted 1 hour before it went skin scent. Has anybody had this experience buying from Fragrance .net? Or is this Chergui for you?

Addendum: after posting my initial review above, somebody contacted me informing the SL had recently reformulated Chergui. This person had been a buyer of Chergui before and shared that the reformulation compromised on the tobacco smell. Basically, I was told Chergui is not what it used to be after the recent reformulation--may want to check the for the change of SL logo on the box compared to prior editions.. I've decided to share this to see if someone else can share more information.

AyameSapphire
AyameSapphire

A perfect and absolutely oriental perfum for those who love deep and long lasting smells.

Kain
Kain

Finally I had a chance to sniff this guy and see what's all these exciting reviews about it.
Honestly I was expecting something much darker, but still it's a great fragrance.
The opening is warm and sweet honey smell mixed very natural and beautiful and strong cinnamon note plus tobacco and some herbal note in the background.
The herbal smell which is the hay note, give the tobacco note a dry and herbal feeling.
The tobacco note isn't that strong and potent.
It's there with enough power to give the sweet scent a good masculine aroma.
The ingredients quality is stunning. really high quality fragrance.
In the dry down the tobacco note start to fade away slowly and you can smell a little stronger herbal hay note and smoother cinnamon.
It's really warm and sweet and yummy!
In the base the tobacco and hay notes are really weak and they are completely in the background and now you can smell that warm honey sweet smell with some cinnamon. very sensual smell!
It's really interesting that the cinnamon isn't in the notes but you can smell it from the minute one to the last minutes on your skin!
A great quality fragrance and definitely unisex.
Projection is OK (not that strong) but longevity is good. around 6-7 hours on my skin and that's OK for me.
بالاخره به لطف يكي از دوستان موفق شدم اين عطر رو تست كنم
راستش به اون تاريكي و سنگيني كه انتظار داشتم نبود اما در هر حال يه عطر بسيار عالي هست
رايحه ابتدايي اين عطر بوي گرم و شيرين و شبيه به بوي عسل هست كه رايحه نسبتا قوي دارچين و تنباكو و يه رايحه گياهي و علف مانند اونو همراهي ميكنن
بوي تنباكو تو اين عطر خيلي قوي نيست. اما بوشو به راحتي ميشه حس كرد و اون رايحه علف مانند حس يه تنباكوي خشك و گياهي به عطر ميده
در ادامه بوي تنباكو شروع به ضعيف شدن ميكنه و بوي علف و گياهي مانند كمي قويتر ميشه كه در كنار رايحه گرم و شيرين عسل و دارچين بوبي سيار دلپذيري رو ايجاد ميكنن
در رايحه پايه بوي تنباكو و اون رايحه گياهي خيلي خيلي ضعيف شدن و به سختي به مشام ميرسن و شما همچنان بوي بسيار شيرين و گرم و خوشمزه عسل رو دارين به همراه عطر دلپذير و ملايم دارچين كه بوي فوق العاده تحريك كننده و زيبايي به عطر ميده
چيزي كه من خيلي خيلي راجع به اين عطر دوست دارم كيفيت بي نظير رايحه هاي مورد استفاده تو اين عطره. واقعا كيفيت ساخت اين عطر فوق العادس و به همراه بالانس بسيار خوب رايحه ها مشخص ميكنه كه عطرهاي نيش چرا گرونن و چرا حرفه اي ها معمولا بيشتر بدنبال عطرهاي برندهاي نيش ميرن
پخش بوي متوسط اما ماندگاري خوبي داره. در حد 6-7 ساعت روي پوست

aveilhe
aveilhe

Chergui is a tobacco-lover's dream! I would place it in the same family as Tom Ford's Vanilla Tobacco (though they are quite different in their interpretation). Chergui plays up more on the hay and honey-like nuances of the tobacco leaf. There are hints of spice and cherry to my nose, as well. The incense and musk impart a smoky aroma. Honey is used here to lend sweetness, creating an almost edible quality. Chergui is a warm, spicy, tantalizing fragrance that would smell equally alluring on men or women.

I totally agree with 'nick753', in that I too cannot believe the praise this gets(!?) I enjoy SL creations on a whole, so I so badly wanted to love this like I do, say... the masterpiece that is Gris Clair. But much to my chagrin, Chergui smells a lot like the much cheaper and less thoughtful Cigar Remy Latour. If you aren't familiar with 'Cigar', please look it up here, so you realize the magnitude of the comparison.

Yes Chergui smells good, but it also smells so below par for this fragrance house. If you own a bottle or sample of Chergui, go down to your local second-run store (e.g., Marshall's, TJ-Maxx, Gordman's, etc.), buy Cigar Remy Latour, do a side-by-side sniff test, and tell me you didn't waste your money on Chergui. I dare you.

nick753
nick753

Cannot believe the praise this gets! To me, the only thing that would come to mind is 'old lady.' Blind bought this bottle and listed it on eBay two days later. Cannot see a man wearing this.

timetraveller
timetraveller

I purchased a bottle after testing a vial, and all I can say is that I love this scent.

I've tried about 10 Lutens' fragrances so far, and this is the one that I like most and that i find easier to wear.

It's sweet, but not too sweet.

The word that comes to my mind when smelling this is: Elegance.

It has gone to my top 5 instantly.

It lasts 6 hours on my skin. A bit less than expected. Projection is moderate in the first hours and close to my skin from the 4th hour. I wish that it lasted more on me. :(

Also the sprayer, sprays too much stuff, it should spray like the half of what it does.

I am really striking out with Serge Lutens. Chergui is yet another perfume from this house that is over-hyped. It is a sweet tobacco perfume that lacks the depth and complexity of Volutes or Tobacco Vanille. Compared to those, Chergui is awfully bland. There is very little projection, which is ok for a fragrance of supreme quality, but for watery honey and tobacco, it is not.

On my skin, there is a note that smells like synthetic coconut, and it overtakes everything else. I don't like the smell of coconut.

persefoni
persefoni

This SL smells very deep, very sweet, comforting, a bit powdery and unisex, but not classic masculine..

In my opinion, it is perfect for a cold day, though i wouldn't recommend it to people with migraines..

The honey is quite prominent, the tobbaco very discrete. The amber, the sandalwood and the incense blend in heavenly and give it this wonderful depth..
A faint rose and iris add to the powdery feeling.. I'm pretty sure i also smell vanilla in the base..

I guess its only problem is longevity, at least on me...

John_John
John_John

everything you could ever hope for to smell like. You need to have this or at least try it.
Its an experience by itself.

new friend
new friend

المكان ليس عصريا على الإطلاق. إنها إحدى الإستراحات البسيطة على الطرق الطويلة الغير ممهدة وسط صحراء رملية ناعمة ساخنة لا تترك لها أشعة الشمس الحارقة وقتا كافيا حتى تبرد.
الزمان.. 100 سنة للوراء (أتقصد زمن الويسترن والكاوبوي الغربي؟) ربما نعم وربما لا.
الآن يدخل رجل وسيم يرتدي بدلة انجليزية أنيقة.
يخرج منديلا لينفض به التراب القابع فوق احد الكراسي حتى لا ينال من روعة أناقته وثيابه أو حتى يعكر صفو مزاجه، تنزعج ذرات الغبار الرملية وتنتشر في الهواء من حوله، ولكن لا يهم مادامت أناقتي بخير.
الرجل الوسيم: جارسون اريد فنجانا دافئا من الكابوتشينو.
الجارسون: عفوا سيدي لا يوجد مشروب يحمل هذا الاسم قد ظهر بعد أو له وجود.
الرجل الوسيم: لا يهم اذهب وائتني به.
ويذهب الجارسون ويعود بعد فترة: الكابوتشينو سيدي، وهذه اللفافة تركها لك احد الأشخاص.
ويبدأ الرجل الوسيم في رشف مشروبه الدافيء: ما هذا؟ المشروب وضع به الكثير من السكر، إنني لا أكاد أمير نكهة المشروب الأصلية، ولكن لا بأس فأنا بحاجة للمزيد من الطاقة، سأتناول منه رشفات إلى أن يأتيني الجارسون بشيء أتناوله ليغير من مذاق هذا المشروب.
وينادي بصوت مرتفع: جارسون.. أريد قطعة كبيرة من الكيك المشبع بالعسل والمغطى بكريمة الفانيلا.
آه نسيت. ما هذه اللفافة التي وضعها الجارسون أمامي؟ إنني لا أعرف هنا أحدا ليترك لي مثل هذه اللفافة!!
ويفتحها بسرعة.. إنها لفافة من التوباكو الإيرلندي القوي.. يا لها من رائحة.
ساتناول الكيك ان قبل أن تفسده الرياح والغبار الرملي الذي يحرك لفافة التوباكو بين الحين والآخرليفك جانبا من طرف هذه اللفافة لتنبعث منها رائحة التوباكو القوية.
ويخرج قنينة صغيرة من جيبه الداخلي ليبلل منها منديلا رائعا ببضع قطرات من أكسير العنبر، ثم يضعه في جيب جاكته العلوي، ولكن هيهات ان يسيطر العنبر على هذه الأجواء، فما تزال الرياح الرملية الحارة تدخل من النوافذ بين الحين والآخر لتفك جانبا من لفافة التوباكو لتحمل عبقه القوي فوق المنضدة بشكل إعصاري.
وتهدأ الرياح بالتدريج لتظهر الآن رائحة هادئة للأخشاب الأسيوية العطرية المصنوعة منها المنضدة الأنيقة التي يجلس عليها.
وما تزال قطعة كيك الفانيلا المشبعة بالعسل وافرة الحجم لا تنتهي بمذاقها الشهي .. وليتها لا تنتهي.
هذا المشهد من هذا الخليط والمزيج الزماني والمكاني الذي يستحيل وجوده في عالمنا الواقعي، يبدو أنه كان له وجودا واقعيا في ذهن السيد سيرج لوتانز الذي ما أن اختمر المشهد في عقله حتى أخذ يصب منها داخل إحدى زجاجاته العطرية الكلاسيكية، ثم يغلقها، ويضع فوقها ورقة صغيره مكتوبا عليها كلمة (شيرجي)

I guess that I like this fragrance only in the opening.

When I tried it in Vienna, Austria, I liked it a lot. It smelled woody, resin or almost like Coca-Cola. But when I smelled it on the blotter after coming from Austria to Prague, Czech Republic, I was upset. It smelled exactly like Chypre Rouge that I have and I can't say that I'm a big fan of it. I wanted to try it in my motherland Moscow, Russia, where is usually the biggest fragrances choice where I have been to, but in the shop, which I know that sells fragrances by Serge Lutens for sure it was snapped up. I guess that it's popular. I want to try it again, because the beginning is very promising:)

noirdrakkar
noirdrakkar

With the cherry-like amber and tobacco, I was expecting this to be like Pure Havane or M7. But this is far from the case. It's actually more like Joop surprisingly.

It's sweet, very floral, powdery, and unlike anything else out there. The hay note is well done but not overpronounced, but seriously words cannot describe this one.

I was very shocked by this first and found it repulsive, but on a second wearing I got used to it and started to like it a bit. I still don't think it's a perfect 10 out of 10 must-have, but it is nice. I don't think I would personally buy it (but maybe I will if my decant of it grows on me).

I hear about Chergui quite often, and I believe it is one of Serge Lutens' best sellers. I can see why it is so loved. It's quite a complex and fascinating scent.

Chergui reminds me of a few sweet masculines that my boyfriend seems to enjoy wearing. In particular I'm thinking of Ted Lapidus Altamir. It's that blend of aromatic spice and syrupy-sweet amber, that draws me to make this comparison.

For the most part, Chergui smells masculine on my skin. It has strong hints of leather, amber, tobacco and incense. The honey does sweeten the composition towards the heart, however it still doesn't smell feminine nor unisex to my nose. To be honest, I would rather smell Chergui on a man.

Many recommend Chergui to those looking for a quality tobacco scent. I personally smell more amber and leather in this fragrance than I do tobacco. The thing with Chergui, is that it is so well blended that it's difficult to detect any one particular note. It strikes me as a sweet and thick oriental. A very typical Serge Lutens fragrance.

Chergui is not a fragrance for the shy. I would describe it as being quite explosive and heavy, something I would more than likely wear on a cold Winter's day or out at night.

Chergui's longevity is ridiculous. Even a thorough shower is not enough to rid the skin of this potent scent. I've found that it stays even longer on fabric. When testing Chergui, I must have accidently spritzed my woollen cardigan, and now whenever I open my closet, the smell of Chergui greets me like a punch to the face. Thank goodness I actually enjoy the way it smells.

antfarm
antfarm

First impression: Powdery and musky, like a pair of smoky eyes flirting with you from accross the room. I don't get any of the hay or tobacco. On me this is powdery iris and spices with a bit of honey in the background. Smells like a young woman who is wise beyond her years.

Last impression: Smells like cherries marinating in syrup. Overpowering. What happened?

scorpiosheep
scorpiosheep

I tried Chergui a couple of years ago and did not like it, so refrained from reviewing. I am re-testing this in our very hot weather (40 degrees C today) and I find I am curiously drawn to it after all. One drop sure goes a long way! It's sweet, yes, but not too sweet for a man to wear successfully. I find the hay and amber to be the most prominent notes on my skin, and can't detect much in the way of incense, rose or musk. It's like a thick, syrupy cordial that you would mix with soda or mineral water and drink on a hot day. Why is it classified as "spicy"? It's not. It's also not sexy, but it is elegant, a little aloof, and definitely one for the more mature wearer. I like this and admire Serge Lutens always, but I can't fall in love here.

Thank you so much Carestinus for sending me your generous sample!

careless86
careless86

finally i tried and bought this one :) just WOW

steve0580
steve0580

I ordered a sample of this and all I can say is that I'm glad that I didn't get a full bottle.

It has an odd honey, tobacco, musky kind of smell and reminds me of my grandmother's house.

Not a fan at all.

Ambresoie
Ambresoie

A wonderful warm scent. And unisex, my husband loves it too.

flkirkland
flkirkland

My first try of this scent and while I am not blown away, I do find it a very appealing and beautiful scent. In the initial hit, I can catch the hay right away, which I love. Hints of honey and amber are back there, but the honey never fully develops for me. The amber and wood come during the dry down and stay throughout. Nice hint of incense.

In other reviews, I keep seeing people talk about how strong it is and sweet it is. I guess that is relative to what else you have in your collection. Compared to Angel Men, it's not very sweet at all. Compared to Montale Black Oud, it's not very strong. I actually find that this is a really beautifully composed perfume, not too much of anything. Balanced. Although, for me, I wouldn't mind it if it had a little more projection and didn't sit so close to the skin after the first hour. That's just me. 7 out of 10.

grasslands
grasslands

Chergui opens with a raspy wood/fresh tobacco note that pleases me, considering the ashtray affect I get with some tobacco perfumes (Cabochard I’m looking at you).

Then it moves into this plush vanilla/amber/honey affair. As it dries down further the powdery sandalwood, musk and incense become more prominent. There’s a guerlainade feel to it, and it smells very familiar, but I can’t work out which one it most resembles.

While I don’t think it’s hugely innovative it’s a very beautiful sweet oriental with soft projection and good longevity. I can see that it would be winter scent, but here I am on a cool summer day loving every minute of it.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

Chergui is on my short list of some of the most beautiful fragrances I have ever smelled. Spicy incense, sandalwood, warm amber and enveloping musk with a touch of florals and a soupcon of honey alone would be a thing of wonder. But the addition of a strong tobacco leaf note is the piece de resistance of Chergui.

Most people associate tobacco only with a smoky cigarette smell. Tobacco is so much more than that. Tobacco is a lovely green plant with huge leaves that soak up the sun and then dry down to a papery brown sweetness and natural spiciness that drips with its lovely sap. Chergui captures the scent of tobacco growing in a field and a tobacco barn where the leaves are hung up to dry and the wind wafts the lovely smell of the drying leaves as you walk by. Finally the soft sweetness of the processed leaves ready to be tamped into a pipe or rolled into cigarettes or cigars comes through. The sandalwood brings to mind the perfect humidor for the most beautiful premium tobacco leaves.

Tobacco has an enchanting spicy sweet smell before it is smoked and Chergui enhances this natural scent with spices and honey to produce a glorious perfume. The fragrance is perfectly balanced, has good sillage and lasts for hours. It is an amazing comfort scent and the perfect fragrance for a chilly day. Even people who thing they hate the smell of tobacco will find themselves loving this.

jtd
jtd

Chergui

Chergui is apparently one of the best sellers in the Lutens line. When I test it and read the list of notes, I'm a believer more or less. I can make out the notes I'm told are there. Yes, there is hay, tobacco, musk. But lord know I've nearly derailed going too far into the madness of a 'list of notes'.

'Notes' are in fact suggestions. But what lies behind a set of notes is an intent. Does the list of notes describe? (Is "oud" a botanically derived essence? Is it an aromachemical? Is the distinction important except dogmatically for the wearer and practically for the perfumer?) Or do notes try to convince, that is, lie? Somehow, despite the recognizeability of the notes, I'm not convinced by Chergui. Testing, on blotter and on skin, I say yes to the notes but no to the whole package. It doesn't suggest a Moroccan wind, as the fable goes. Notes aside, Chergui shares the sensibility of many mainstream men's fragrances of the past 10-15 years. The strategy, for want of a better word, is Creedian. Sell it as nich-y, but aim for the height of the bell curve.

I don't mind the strategy. As I've mentioned about the current Guerlain line-up, the big sellers in a line should better the odds that the lower-selling oddball that I love will remain in the line. Either that, or the take-away for the perfumer is that the bell curve is a sales strategy and every perfume should should be a best seller. I try to be optomistic.

iowahawkeye63
iowahawkeye63

i have 2 bottles of this if someone is interested in a swap ... 1 unopened 1.7 1 1.7 95% full

blauriche
blauriche

I don't officially believe in signature scents, but if I had a signature scent it would probably be this one. It's just about perfect for me, though it pains me to say, slightly, because I would have liked to have felt that way about something more obscure from the line...

I resisted tobacco scents for a long time because I hate the smell of cigarettes, cigars, pipes, etc., and I tend to recoil from honey notes, but this one is just so perfect.

Hoyo
Hoyo

This is great unisex fragrance. Its soft sweetness makes i great for woman and the tobacco and amber make it for the man. Great sillage and longevity. This is a very comforting scent and it crosses paths somewhere with Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille on the skin.

Boudyrun
Boudyrun

Just received this sample today and I am hooked really lovely. I will be buying a full bottle. It's almost edible. Yum

chweintr
chweintr

I have a strong distaste for powdery notes -at least in men's fragrances.
25 minutes into this fragrance, it becomes extremely powdery...There is a background of smokiness and of course the sweetness - -like iris honey -
but the powder note is baffling - reminds me of women's deodorant (secret?). -Also regardless of the fact that it is described as unisex, I can't help but think of it as a sophisticated female fragrance, ideal for age 50 +... formal events -- fur coat - high heels -- the ball room.

Chattermonkey
Chattermonkey

I had high hopes for this as my introduction to Segre. To my dismay I was a little disappointed. My intial reaction to this fragrance was complex, unique, overbearing with incense. I wanted to like this, but after a few days, I wasnt really impressed.

desertrat

LOVE IT! I just got a sample and I'm testing it, but so far it is love at first spritz! It is absolutely DIVINE for those of us who like smokey, earthy, sweet in an organic tobacco way fragrances. I'm stunned this is the first time I remember smelling it. This is absolutely unisex biased toward the feminine energy. Not for the girly-girl, but the independent woman who smolders with wisdom and sensuality but still young enough to play. I think I seriously have to own it...

Dove01
Dove01

I bought this unsmelled based on the reviews I had read. And let me tell you, it did not disappoint. This really has to be the most unusual scent I have ever had the pleasure to wear. At first it's power overwhelmed me and I thought I had made a bad decision. However - the dry down was immense. Beautiful, seductive, smoky and mysterious. When I wear this fragrance someone will always comment on it. Like Ambre Sultan it is not for the faint hearted- but this scent is distinctive, classic, alluring and sexy. I wear it now when I want to feel empowered, untouchable, mysterious and powerful. I love this. Thanks Fragrantica reviewers! I am forever in your debt.

factrix.d
factrix.d

I received this as a gift, and at first, the scent didn't really do much for me, but after 20 minutes of being on my wrist, I took another whiff and fell in love. I usually love sweeter smells, like Angel and Hypnotic Poison, but this scent is alluring, and i find myself loving it more and more every day... It is definitely a more mature, seductive scent.

I think this scent smells different on every one, and it will either smell horrible or completely divine on one's skin. Thankfully, it smells great on mine, and it has become a favourite.

corinnaekhbs
corinnaekhbs

The immediate hit I got from Chergui (on a piece of card) was an intense smell of rich fruit cake, mince pies and shortbread smell - in fact it was like being in a pastry shop at Christmas - 20 minutes later and on my skin it smelled much warmer and darker, but soon after it gave off an odor of wood polish then possibly leather with the occasional whiff of fly spray. It was gone almost without trace except on the sleeve of my jumper within an hour. It's definitely not one for me but I can see how you might love it if it suits you.

dkny27
dkny27

At first, I wasn't thrilled... But as I repeatedly tried it, the sweet tobacco powdery scent just matured into an intimate friend.
The dry tobacco that is mixed with the sweetness from honey, incense and flowers makes me think "old" but not in age, more like "full of wisdom" or "history". It is so intriguing, intellectual perhaps.... Some things just continue to surprise me, and this scent is quite a nice surprise!

sf2explus
sf2explus

Nice sweet tobacco, with some light florals. rose is in this scent done very mildly. In the opening there is quite alot of incense but does tone down after an hour. you do get the creamy smell from the sandlewood. and quite a bit of amber.The honey is done so mildly that you will have to look for it, which is a good thing since i hate honey in any of my fragrances but chergui has used the perfect amount.

The scent is smooth, sweat and classy. It smells expensive and and lasts an entire day until you take a shower. the scent projects very well for the first few hours but people can easily smell it on you when they get an arms length close since it is heavy so it really doesn't surprise me. The smell is very warm and inviting, a perfect choice for the cooler months and eavening wear.
This scent is one of the better choices from the house imho along with arabie.

Scent 9.5/10

MirageMirage
MirageMirage

This is the first perfume by Serge Lutens I've tried! Also, the first one I've tried with the note of HAY! :) Bud sadly, it's not my cup of tea, it's something during the drydown that I have a hard time with...I recognise it, I've smelled it in other perfumes too and remember I didn't like it. But I have to give S.Lutens credit for the quality of it!

Matt Oldham
Matt Oldham

Smells wonderful. But I don't want to smell like that. Both reassuringly old-timey Norman Rockwell xmas and deliciously hippie but the two parts fail to make something new. 1740 is a far-more mind-bending item that is similar.

mippymuppett
mippymuppett

On my skin the tobacco is loud and present after the initial spray but then begins to soften and melt into my skin. Is this sweet? YES and unapologetically so!!! This scent is warm and inviting and very soothing. I wouldn't call this a loud, sexy or raunchy tobacco scent like TF (which I love!!) but this is a perfume that wraps its arms around you and invites you to stay in for the night. There is this soft hazy powder that just blends beautifully with the tobacco and honey. I'm not sure if I would buy a FB yet but I would love to cuddle up to my husband wearing this, pour ourselves a beautiful glass of wine and stay in for the evening!!!

srimati
srimati

A bit too sweet tobacco, and yes, I got that bug-spray too. Think I'll pass on this one. Glad I got samples.

Zenith
Zenith

Congratulations to Serge Lutens! You have made only the second fragrance ever that I have able to still smell strongly the next day, a pedestal that only Joop Homme was on previously! Very very long lasting. I wanted to see how long it would last, but eventually had to take a shower.

The fragrance itself is stunning too. Opening of sweet notes and real honest to goodness tobacco. It smells like a cigar made with vanilla and honey. The tobacco passes to make way for a really nice sweet balmy fragrance. I simply cannot stop smelling this. My only downside to this fragrance is that the climate I live in will give me very few opportunities to wear it

kit1982
kit1982

Smells like a spicier version of Bvlgari Black. Warning: Do not spray on shirt.

wendyyparty
wendyyparty

OMG!!! I'm in love <3333

At first smell from the bottle I didn't like it at all. I thought the tobacco was too strong, kinda reminded me of those old mafia-godfather thing. But after a test on my skin it grew deeper, warmer, creamier and really sweet (so catching that I couldn't stop sniffing it). Now after an hour I'm sinking, fully trapped in the depth of this tobacco-honey sweetheart.

I've always been into woodsy scents and this one is undoubtedly a masterpiece! Anyway, unlike polka, I'm also into some of those Escada loud-fruity-candy as well (just prefer crispy spicy woodsy better) so I'll suggest everyone, even those candy lovers to go across your borderline and have a try at this frag once in your lifetime ;)

Edit: Back again after 2 weeks, I have just ordered full 1.7 Oz. bottle cuz I don't think I can live without it now.

Grottola
Grottola

Wait what? I've been on Fragrantica for a year and a half now and still haven't reviewed Chergui?!

Might as well should get this over with. Chergui is one of the most popular niche fragrances, and one of the most solid orientals on the market. I've smelled better, for sure, but not many fragrances can capture that sweet, decadent honey/amber/coumarin haze that Chergui does oh so well. It's like an amalgam of Dior Addict, Must Pour Homme Essence by Cartier, and even Pi by Givenchy, but every element is smoothed out until it becomes a rich, golden-brown haze. I'm not too big on sweet fragrances, but Chergui is a must-try for any fragrance lover. The stuff is also highly concentrated - it lasts all day and night, and projects very well. I've had my bottle for a year and a half now, and it's only a quarter gone (and I love this stuff).

Chergui is a must have for fall and winter.

hellkat
hellkat

Never have I fallen in love with a scent so fast. Serge Lutens was known to me only through his association with the house of Shiseido back in the 70s, and I had loved the Geisha-like glamour of Shiseido cosmetic advertisements as a teenager. So when a friend handed me three sample pots of SL perfumes, I recognised the name instantly and became very excited. As soon as I sprayed Chergui onto my skin I knew I was in love with it. I didn't even care to wait for the scent to rest on me. I loved the top notes so much, tobacco: such an exciting note! I had never smelt it before, and what seemed to me like the leather of old Jaguar cars, and burnt, brown sugar. When I calmed down from the excitement of this new rediscovery, I love the scent on me at any time of its manifestation. It has been Serge Lutens and Chergui who has brought me to the arena of "niche perfumes" and I am very VERY happy about that.

FBenoit1
FBenoit1

Wow 10/10!! I have a problem...lol

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

I was excited to try this, as I've heard so much about it, however I was a little disappointed.
This is, without doubt, a very pleasant scent, though I feel would smell better on a man.
The tobacco in the opening is a bit strong, but it quickly quietens and smooths out with honey and amber. There is a hint of incense swirling around, making it feel even lighter on the skin. This is very unisex, it really doesn't tilt one way or the other, but maybe different qualities would come out better on a man's skin. Though I agree with Kchild - I could definitely see this on Marlene Dietrich.
The tobacco is very well done here, just blended excellently. I find this to be a comfy fragrance, and it makes me think of the smell of a packed old library. This is I would say, an intellectual scent.
But I was underwhelmed by this fragrance over all. It's the kind of scent that if I received it as a gift I would be very pleased by it's smell, but it doesn't provoke strong enough feelings to buy a bottle myself.

DoraRoxx
DoraRoxx

Absolutely made for wintertime.
Superb stuff. Need to buy it. Just got a sample.
stunning sillage and projection.
After 6 hours it is close to Tobacco Vanille from Tom Ford but not that sweet honey odour.

snichols
snichols

LOVE THIS!!! Nice elegant scent. Like the fusion of Arabian scent scent with Serge Lutens interpretation.

shiverwithantici
shiverwithantici

I love the feverishly sensual, warm combination of tobacco, honey, and incense, but that powder just ruins it. I think one of the reviewers compared this fragrance to the scent of baby wipes, which was an apt appraisal. Too bad.

polka
polka

A very unique take on sweetness in perfume. There's no way that the candy-like Escadas' lover would like Chergui, as this juice is as far from mainstream, generic frags as Ulaanbaatar from Paris (no offence to any of these). In Chergui the sweet notes are very organic, honey-like with beeswax undertone; not gourmandy at all, they would never-ever make anyone drool, like many of sweet frags do.

Honey notes are crafty balanced with oriental spices, tobacco leaves and - dare I say? - chamomile (or maybe it's just hay, listed among the notes above), which prevents the scent from becoming heavy and oily.

Very wearable, but I don't feel like I have to own this. Nice meeting you, though, Chergui!

jemma
jemma

Today I got commissioned blind Shergi of Lyutens after unsuccessfully tried to acquire Tobacco Vanille of TF.I read numerous reviews, posts who fell from the ecstatic to fail one more time and be convinced how different our perceptions! I am delighted this perfume! this is my first touch Lutens, but what I felt-class, perfect composition, aroused my curiosity to know some of his other works! long had I felt such emotion possessing!

Maya24
Maya24

Love it from the first sniff! Unfortunately Lutens hasn't a shop in Greece, so we find the last perfumes remain at the Shisheido stands... The good thing is that we buy them 50% off! :)))
So, I found this baby this morning, I tried it and loved it!
The feeling I get is quite soapy, but in a good way. Nice quality of honey and tobacco. Long lasting, but not intense. Really discret and classy.
I can feel the woody essence as well.
Creamy, exotic and I could say a bit oriental. Loooove it!
I guess I'll need to visit my beloved Paris to get few more bottles!

merlinarbor
merlinarbor

Chergui is a clean-sexy smell. If you're put off by animalics and dark/dirty fragrances, this might just be your kind of come-hither. I prefer to spray this with the "walk-through-a-cloud" method rather than on pulse points.

gmstrack
gmstrack

I really wanted to love this fragrance; however, Chergui was a major disappointment. The pleasant opening smells like Avon Skin So Soft and conjures up childhood memories. After five minutes, the boring powder arrives. Also, Chergui seems incomplete, as though it hoped to vanish in the hot desert wind. Maybe someday I will revisit this fragrance and experience lounging camels and complex “spicy intensity”. Maybe.

judyk

By all rights I should hate Chergui. I can't abide sweet perfumes. But this may be one of my favourite SLs (along with Ambre Sultan... so far).

There are clearly many types of "sweet". Top of my hate list is fruity sweet, followed by powdery sweet with no redeeming earthy/animalic base notes. This sweet is deep and spicy and sensual and I want a lifetime supply of it!

ETA As time goes by I'm refining my idea of unacceptable "sweets". Some fruities are lovely - I think the ones I have difficulty with (understatement) are the modern alien-berry-type "purple" concoctions.

Baldric
Baldric

This is the scent that got me back into perfume after a 2 year hiatus in which I was fragrance free. Ironically I bought this tobacco heavy scent to celebrate quitting smoking. I went to the perfume house in Portland looking for something special and smelled a lot of different scents. They have the Lutens out to play with along with a booklet of notes as determined by the owner who is a certified nose. Not knowing anything about the line I started flipping through the book and sniffing the bottles, spraying them on cotton balls etc. Chergui was listed as hay sugar, tobacco, honey and perhaps 1-2 other notes, no flowers though and I was intrigued but couldn't find the bottle. I asked the saleswoman in the store where it was and her eyes twinkled a bit and she grabbed it from the back, almost empty and told me they were out of stock. It ended up being the one fragrance I tested on my wrist, I thanked her and told her I would be back if I liked it and left the store to grab some lunch.

Walking down the street on that sunny fall day is such a clear and wonderful memory. I kept lifting my wrist and breathing in deeply. About 1 1/2 hours later I knew I wanted to have it. I called the shop and the SA instantly knew who I was and told me "I knew you would be back for this one, it's so special and my absolute favorite". They put me on the waiting list, 1 week later I had the bottle in my hand and was reunited with an old love of perfume. I love this fragrance, smokey, sweet, yum.

catfishy
catfishy

This one smell too sweet for my taste!And I like Tom ford tobacco vanille and this is sweeter!Too much honey.
And it stays very close to the skin, like almost every Serge lutens EDP.

airubgirl
airubgirl

I was given a sample of this at Barney's in Scottsdale and I was exceptionally skeptical because Lutens can be a bit over the top, and not in a good way.
This spicy, leathery, creamy and very voluptuous scent, brought me into the Lutens fold. This warms up on my skin and just melts into it, morphing from the incense, tobacco leaf and sweet hay opening, to the spicy santal, hay and tobacco leaf middle with a hint of soft warm leather, into the final stage of amber, creamy rose, santal and smokey tonka. For me, the honey is present but only there to lend a bit of supporting cast, quietly sweet not sugary, with more of a beeswax honey scent.
It is exquisite in every stage with my chemistry, but I can understand how, for some, this would be overwhelming and headache inducing. However, if it meshes with your chemistry it is one of the most lush fragrances out there.
I love it both in the winter and summer months. Warmth turns it into a heady and more humid breeze as opposed the winter where it is more of a dry smokey wind.

pooey
pooey

acrid smoke

glorious1
glorious1

I have Chergui and I appreciate it. It's a great creation. I have to be in the MOOD for Chergui! When I wear it I sometimes wonder why I don't wear it more often and then sometimes I put it on and don't care if I wear it for awhile. It is a strange creature!

fanny
fanny

My first association -again- is SHALIMAR, which I rather detest (sorry).

I DO like tobacco, sandal, honey and amber.
Put together as in C, I get a burnt smell, sharp and disturbing.
A bit like medicine, but sweet too.

After about twenty minutes, thank G, CHERGUI becomes softer and very ambery sweet, with a thick patch of tobacco.

I think I can appreciate this, albeit it only once or twice a year.

Edit mar 8 2012:
I am starting to dig this.....

spumyland
spumyland

sweet sweeet sweet sweet...ambra,tabacco, incenso, miele,fiori muschio,ambra tabacco,incenso ,miele,fiori, muschio e la ruota continua....ARMONIA.il naso piu' elegante di Parigi ha lavorato con la massima devozione creando un equilibrio IMPENSABILE per una fragranza cosi' dolce.Ci sento tanta mirra,la parte talcata di bvlgari black,quella migliore non stucchevole di angel (che purtroppo mi pento di aver comprato), tanto miele,ottimo incenso & il tocco del maestro..
Rassicurante ma non statico.
Mi ricorda il primo cassetto del como'
di mia nonna con bracciali, orologi e bambole ..sicuramente classico ma' di classe.
Di giorno e di notte.Unisex.
Adatto a tutte le occasioni anche se a mio avviso usarlo prima di andare al lavoro e' veramente uno spreco!!...almeno che non lavori in mediaset con belen,veline,letterine,ballerine etc... ;-D
ho' letto tutte le recensioni possibili e se questo profumo e' da funerale...allora.. no fiori ma opere di bene.
grazie SERGIOOOOOoooooo!

Annelien1987
Annelien1987

Amazing. Love at first sniff. Smells so creamy.
I smell the honey and the tobacco. I love this so much. I got it as a present from my mother, thank god because I do find it a bit expensive. It lasts a couple of hours but mostly close to the skin. Very unique fragrance. I don't find this one difficult to wear: day or night, summer or winter, casual or special occasion, I wear it all the time.

nicenspice
nicenspice

What an exquisite masterpeice of a frangrance.
This is what deservedly expensive smells like.

From the first note of Iris and ash to the last gasp of rose and vanilla this fragrance is quality.
That unusual cigarette-ash opener (sounds unpleasant but is quite the opposite)unfortunately fades within 5 minutes.If you're going to benefit from it you will have to go somewhere on your own-or people will think you're odd-and sniff your wrists until it gently subsides into...
..heady honey( the kind of honey in which you can smell the flowers that it was created from)aromatic wood and amber.
The beautiful comforting warmth of this fragrance sits quietly on your skin for at least 8 hours,by which time the headiness and woodiness have faded to leave a smooth sweet rosy-vanilla.Imagine breathing in an expensive vanilla extract rather than sniffing a plastic dolls head covered in cheap vanilla essence,as most fragrance drydowns seem to smell.

If your budget can stand the cost of this perfume you MUST have it in your collection-regardless of whatever your usual prefered perfume type is.
This is a classic of quality to rival Chanel N05.

iatrogenius
iatrogenius

Not your everyday fragrance, but most definitely a piece of art.

What Sheldrake has done here is capture an essence and a memory, and turned into something that evokes just that, along with providing the layman (or woman) a gorgeous fragrance to wear.

Chergui is stunning in the sense that one, the composition gives off this extremely warm and inviting personality, yet the honey/sandalwood/rose/and incense provide this romantic backdrop onto which this chemistry takes place.

I have a special bond with this fragrance because I have been to Morocco and can relate to this amazing sense of the desert air and the spicy yet sweet accords of incense, sandalwood, florals, honey'd tobacco being packed into hukkas resonating from the bazaars thriving with life and mystery. Chergui is the air you inhale while leaving the bazaar...all those magnificent aromas clash with the desert winds as you look back and breathe.

I agree..with reviews I have read in the past about this being akin to a "wedding day" scent.

Lasts extremely well and projects accordingly.

Sillage is very nice.

My only issue is the versatility...but then again this fragrance has no intentions of being a signature scent so..all good.

8.5/10

Vincents1278
Vincents1278

Floral, honey, hay, tobacco. Complex, deep and evolving. Not for everyone. Many men will probably be turned off by the femininity that comes through on this scent. The tobacco is not the star here but a player among others. It starts out a little in-your-face but mellows quickly and the longevity is stellar.

tbozzo
tbozzo

I grew up in the country...Sierra Nevada foothills in northern CA to be exact. Chergui reminds of walking the 1/4 mile to the school bus stop on a fall morning where the sun has just risen and the air is warm and humid, bringing up the wonderful smells of the summer dried grasses and weeds. Is there earth here? Maybe, but only to round out the composition... more like a feeling of the earth. Oh yeah, and I am drinking a cup of tea with honey and cream. This is pure heaven for me. Now that I've found it, I can't imagine being without a bottle.

Rigs1
Rigs1

I can't explain why I decided to take a chance with Chergui, maybe the color or was it the shape of the bottle? I don't know. I ordered it anyway and WOW! Perfect!! A hint of tobacco, hay, honey just fabulous! I thought it would be a bit overwhelming initially but it quickly settled down into a smooth, sweet yet slightly masculine aroma I just couldn't get enough of. Definitely worth the investment.

jrichart
jrichart

Chergui de Serge Lutens, que gozada de perfume, un oriental cuya fórmula no tiene demasiados ingrendientes pero que combinados con gran maestría dotan a este oriental ahumado gourmand de una complejidad que llama la atención, eso sí una complejidad que gusta a la primera olida y una complejidad llevadera. Unos de los orientales mas exquisitos y bien balanceados que olido junto con Jaipur pour homme de Boucheron, otro oriental magistralmente balanceado entre las especias, flores y maderas, como curiosidad Chergui tiene algunos dejos que recuerda a Jaipur,eso sí Jaipur carece de la nota de tabaco y miel tan característica de Chergui.

sello
sello

yeah nice frag smels great, i dont think morocco smels this, i have been in there smels like shit! sory

kittykatcris
kittykatcris

I'm fairly new to the wonderful and exiting world of niche perfumery, and I certainly don't have the knowledge and eloquence of some of the reviewers here, but this is how Chergui engages with me. I have been wearing Chergui for two days now to try and really explore and experience it. I find that it does take some time for my skin to develop a relationship with a fragrance. This is so lovely. I find the initial burst almost citrussy and slightly green. (Maybe this is the Iris?) I'm not a big fan of either of these in large doses, but here it is so beautifully woven and quickly draws you in. This soon leads to the buttery honey and amber. It is sweet, but smokily so. It conjurs in my mind warm, liquid treacle or hot sweet tea without milk. Its very comforting and warming. Then it settles and it finally reveals it's such a little minx. It feels like being cocooned in the softest of fur, which is warm, luxurious,and sensual. It becomes a creamy, woody rose. It's delicous yet not gourmand. It sits very close to my skin but how it lasts. This is so sexy, and so elegantly beautiful. It exudes glamour and femininity. If a man wore it, I think I would swoon with passion.....you guessed, I love it!!

deesy
deesy

This fragrance is gorgeous. At first spray I could not detect the notes but after 30 minutes I got a beautiful creamy honey, tobacco scent with a hint of rose filtering through. This scent continued to change over the next few hours. The composition continuted to change and the drydown was similar to bvlgari black but more elegant. Has anyone else thought that? Great lasting power. Definitely on my list to purchase.

frogman
frogman

The Quality of ingredients are very good in this perfume, they are all natural. The scent itself wasn't as good as I expected.On my skin, all i get is spice (cinnamon). This scene is most definite on the feminine
side.It reminds me of some kind of cookie with cinnamon.

tonkabeanster
tonkabeanster

Similar to Dior Addict, minus the initial knockout blast of blackberry-mandarin. A flat, blandly sweet vanillic-incense scent lacking much of the expected complexity, dry heat, or spice.

Polite sillage, good lasting power, and would not be amiss in an office setting. Try Dior's Dune for the ultimate scorched desert experience.

lfmars98
lfmars98

Sweet and smokey scent. Well blended. Sits close to the skin, but last easily 8+ hours. Quality juice. On my to buy list. 9/10.

babsyfish
babsyfish

Is it wrong to dislike Chergui? It is such a huge "cult" favorite, and I could not wait to try it. Unfortunately, I think I am allergic to it. I sneezed incessantly from the moment I applied to the moment I scrubbed. It was the first of a handful of Serge Lutens I tried recently, and I am just not impressed with the line, which is disappointing because it is like the holy grail of the perfume world. Considering how pricey the full bottles are, though, it may be a blessing that I am not head-over-heels obsessed with them!

takeitupthenose
takeitupthenose

So this was my first experience with the house of Serge Lutens. I first got a whiff of this back two years ago when I saw a review for it on Youtube. I happened to go to Barney's and alas there it was, gorgeous bottle sitting next to the Frederric Malle line. Well I smelled it, liked it a lot but two years ago wouldn't think about dreaming about paying so much for a small bottle of perfume (I have now payed significantly more for the same 1.7 from the infamous Kilian line).

Fast forward two years, my tastes in fragrances have evolved much like my taste in fashion, wine and what I would consider a steak! I wanted to add something from the house of Serge Lutens and it was a boxing match between Chergui and Sultan. Chergui won.

On to the fragrance. If you are looking for a dominate tobacco scent avoid this one. If you despise sweet scents (very sweet, not candy but more syrupy)then avoid this scent. However if the notes listed and combined intrigue you then give this one a try. Others talk about its syrupiness and it feels like it when you wear it. This is honey dominated, with a stroke of tobacco and amber, maybe a tinge of sandlewood (don't look for it to be a major player). I get no rose, no orris (Iris?) and though many talk about the incense, it is so sweetened and tamed that only comes off as a smokey amber.

As for longevity it goes for days, as for projection it gives you a bunch in your bubble but won't intrude on others (spaying under the shirt will give you a nice experience for yourself and anyone in your sphere)it has small sillage but for some reason it is a big scent. Can get cloying if oversprayed (though again won't suffocate anyone but yourself)yet 4-5 sprays won't kill you.

Overall this is a top notch, heavy and provactive fragrance. I can see why people want to avoid those reasons caused me to pursue it and purchase it. I wear it in the office, to parties and can't wait to the summer to put on two sprays and see how it performs. It does have a Tobacco Vanille, Pure Havane feel to it just much heavier and more syrupy. Could come off as feminine but I enjoy sweet frags. Sorry for the long review but wanted to give this one its due.

Mr. Doody
Mr. Doody

A truly elegant concoction. I'm a big fan of tobacco, and although I tend to like it stronger than this, I completely understand the composition here. It's swimmingly done. The honey tempers the tobacco perfectly. If I were heading out to a suit-and-tie type business meeting (they're few and far between for me - for better or for worse!) and one of my various 'pushy' scents weren't going to be appropriate, this is absolutely something I'd reach for. My decant should last me years at the rate I am generally required/asked to be 'elegant' though :-) .

Majesty
Majesty

Chergui is a balmy,tobacco-honey combination,strong and alluring.It is quite sweet and addictive.I am not very fond of tobacco in general so it's not really ''my thing''.For those who like tobacco,it's one of the best choices.It is mysterious,dark but to me something's missing.It's the delightful,luminous opening..Lasting power is very good.Sillage too.

tschiepchen
tschiepchen

The drydown of Chergui smells exactly like Yves Rocher's Délires d'Automne.
I still have the YR perfume (which had been my autumn signature for years) and am therefore able to compare.
Sorry this is no proper review, but this might be interesting to those who love Délires d'Automne.

Singabera
Singabera

The beginning is quite salty, probably because of amber and tobacco?!)
Then the base - it reminds me L de Lempicka, really! The same woody-spicy-vanilla, on my skin at least.
Also it reminds me Rochas Absolu a lot)
That's good perfume, but not my favourite from monsieur Lutens.

rose_selavie
rose_selavie

Chergui is a wonderful interpretation of a hot wind from Morocco. It`s a creation that gives me the opportunity to experience a scent on a new level.
It`s warm and somehow dry, sweet and spicey notes are in a perfect balance. I thought it would be more stronger, because most of Lutens scents are speaking loud, but Chergui instead prefers to whisper an ancient arabic poem on my skin.
Sweet hay, tobacco leaf, incence accords and balsamic honey are creating a mystic exotic blend...To combine these notes so well must be a work of a genius. It seems I become more and more addicted to creations of Mr. Sheldrake. I also love Datura Noir, but that`s another story.

sky76sky
sky76sky

Beautiful. Simply beautiful.

Ignore the soap & bug spray blast on first application...in 30seconds you are going to be transported on a goose-down duvet to a simply heavenly place.

Serene, smooth, creamy & laced with all the best notes. It is as if Chergui has been hewn from a single block of the palest, smoothest, creamiest, honeyed wood. Carved by an old master who taps his pipe & stuffs it full of honeyed tobacco as he regards his handy work.

Every corner has been lovingly rounded & carefully sanded. The timber isn't polished it is left bare & velvety to the touch - the raw, resinous scent releases under the warm caress of a hand.

The wood has been burnt into with a hot-poker to create intricate designs - the sweet smoky patterns hover above the balsamic base. Dry, but not raspy. This scent is silky all the way.

Once the block has been shaped the craftsman surveys his work. A lovers' chair with a fine suede seat. Built with love for love. Time to cuddle up & enjoy it with an old peat whisky.

Chergui has nods to wonderful, smokey skin scents like Barbara Bui & soft putty-suede scents like Jacomo Arts No 2 but in Chergui they are amped up to a meatier level. Much better. The pale sandalwood & almond-milk note is thoroughly enjoyable. Very natural. Sweet, but not sickly. Rich, yet mid-weight, Dry as a bone & smooth as silk.

Oh - I do like Chergui. I like it a lot.

jufconnie
jufconnie

Love at first sniff! I don't wear it out very often. For me it's a comfort scent that I enjoy at home. I love to put it on before I go to sleep.

letbythenose
letbythenose

This is the perfume I ware the most of my wardrobe.
I love the leather, the warmth, the luxurious scent. it smells like the warm wind tossing the sweet flowers, the sand, the trees and the animals. I love the sensation of movement it has. It makes me feel alive and sharpen my mind.

id
id

Unique, intensive scent of tobacco, incense and honey. I like it but not for a full bottle for I'm not often in a mood to wear this and feel completely comfortable. It is loud and provocating, self confident smell. But still contains too much incense for me. The fragrance is original interesting, rich and deep for sure. I'm glad I've tested it. Wonderful sillage, longevity is 9 hours plus and it lasts even longer if sprayed on fabric. Very noticeable.

candymarie
candymarie

Gorgeous and interesting, for oriental fans, something off the beaten path.

And I don't think I've ever seen such a huge variety of opinions as there is on this one! Holy cow! I am very surprised especially by a few of the descriptions. I don't smell roses or soap or metal or Addict. I just get warm, sweet, earthy, exotic oriental.

Edit: I DO smell the resemblence to Addict now, after spraying on quite a bit and after several hours, I guess after the top notes faded a little.

2nd Edit: I take back what I said before, it doesn't remind me of Addict anymore. I sprayed one on each wrist to compare and realized I would never make any connection between the two if no one had suggested there was one to begin with. Maybe it's because I've experienced more scents in this general category now that I am better at discerning differences between them. All I know is, whatever accords are dominant in Chergui, that give it its unique soul, are not the same as what is dominant in Addict. It's apples and oranges.

scentedrat
scentedrat

Different. Very different. Sometimes it is wonderful and other times I can't scrub it off fast enough. Lots of honey, which is what I think is what turns me off sometimes. I don't really get the leatheriness or tobacco, which I wanted, but instead more honey and hay, with an almost-gourmand feel. I think it is a really great and interesting scent, but it's not really something I would, wear except at home, for my own enjoyment, when I'm in the mood for something different. I find this to be a fall/winter scent.

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

Chergui achieves the same time, the exotic and elegant. A delicious honey with a powerfull tobacco, it is mingled with incense and a background with floral and woody tones, subtle, but make a sensational and linear oriental composition. Masterpiece!

jeffwithfrags
jeffwithfrags

Just not for me. I am left out , again.

Opening was a nose curling , sickly sweet, spiced rotten rose, so extreme and intense this fragrance still scares me. Lots of powder too, rose powder.

Sadly, yet again I get all the good stuff- beautiful, sensual honeyed tobacco way too late in the scents life. And the rose never quite dissipates.

When you're paying £60+ for 50ml, you need it to be good from 0 seconds after you apply, not 6 hours.

2/5.

Carestinus
Carestinus

Chergui, Chergui... I've taken 3 months since I got this blind to figure out what to say... I've passed through different stages: from amazement at first to disappointment later... and now I just think this is a very intense perfume, very interesting depending on when you use it (I agree with a few people who say the best of Chergui is shown in summer time if you only apply a tiny bit of it) and definitely not an easy one to use by a guy. I find that if used in the wrong occasion Chergui is simply too old ladyish and cloyingly sweet to the point of feeling awkward. Much more difficult than its cousin Prada pour homme which surprisingly seems sooo masculine compared to this lol. Chergui is not feminine in the early stage when the tobacco and spices show a versatile allure. And let me add: when just applied this is just a piece or art. If it just stayed so throughout...
I see myself looking for Chergui when I want to call for attention and create a somehow confusing vibe around... Chergui is definitely an attention getter and it is addictive but both aren't always good adjectives since you may get a bit of a headache if you smell it continuously around. I'd advice you to use it when you move from one place to another, on the street or a party where you won't stay in the same place. Otherwise it might create a sickening atmosphere to those around.
I can't believe some people mention this is so masculine since it actually smells rather closer to Samsara than to tobacco scents for men. I have no problems with genders when it comes to perfume but this is definitely a hard one to wear if over applied or at the wrong place... it turns truly annoying.
I congratulate Serge for this since it is very well done (albeit not that original after all)and confirm what others have mentioned: good sillage and eternal longevity. Just expected it to be edgier and more versatile. Well well, my expectations = my problems.

elderflowers
elderflowers

For a long time – ever since working with a genuine eccentric whose problem-solving walks along the riverbank could be traced several minutes afterwards, by following the scent of cherry tobacco – I've been snuffling about for a 'flavoured' pipe tobacco scent that 1) has the potential to be feminine, and 2) is relatively easy on the leather. Two candidates were often suggested: Venezia by Laura Biagotti (cherry pipe tobacco), and Chergui (honey/vanilla cure).

Chergui is a refined tobacco scent, slightly spicy and fairly dry by Lutens standards. In order to achieve the famed hay note, it contains such an obviously generous dose of coumarin that I don't apply it to my bare skin, only to clothing; coumarin is a has a slightly dodgy reputation as a sensitiser, and I wish to continue enjoying perfume.

The interesting thing is that Chergui has taught me that great refinement is not always what I want in a scent. If you wish to be wrapped in the scent of honey-cured tobacco much more cheaply, and with far less finesse, you can do worse than the oil-based 'Infinite Sky Montana' by Possets: straight to the point and is more vampy and raspy than Chergui, which sometimes reminds me of a gentleman's club (this is the second Lutens perfume that has conjured up a completely different image for me than that suggested by the exotic name).

Could I actually prefer a body oil, handily supplied in a brown 5ml bottle with a home-printed label, to a famous modern masterpiece? It would appear so; I'm easy prey to the smell of 'flavoured' fruit or vanilla tobaccos, and since they're not particularly expensive luxuries, neither is my favoured perfume equivalent. But if you yearn for a more 'gentleman's club' pipe tobacco, Chergui is unlikely to disappoint.

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

This quite quickly fascinated me; the fragrance opened deep, rich and spicy, and remained that way throughout. There was incense and mystery in this, and it was a definite wrist-sniffer as the day wore one. At the latest stage, I found a sweetness that I did not expect, that was a bit cloying for me. This scent reminded me of the arabian nights; warm, sexy, mysterious and alluring.

thatbrownelf
thatbrownelf

This is one of those few scents that on first sniff you go "OH!". Strangely enough, Chergui is what I had hoped Boxeuses would be like.

Chergui starts with a deep spicy honey-tobacco with the spectre of something dark in the background. I found amusing that the reviewer before me mentioned Chergui coming off more leathery on men, and as apparently I have a more masculine skin chemistry despite my girly bits that's what I get--leather. The leather is sweet though, but it's still a bit of a dirty wild child, like Cuir de Russie's raven-haired little sister in a dark purple fitted biker jacket rather than CdR's prim leather gloves. The honey is sweet without being cloying, the tobacco also sweet and with a mild spiciness I've yet to experience in another perfume. The rose is dark and voluptuous, and with the musk, sandalwood and spices rounding everything out Chergui is sweet, spicy, yet foreboding.

I can't help but think but think of the aforementioned biker-leather wearer rocking out to some Joan Jett or Halestorm before going off to hunt some male prey. Definitely a scent to go kick ass and take names--the innocent and pure need not apply.

nofixedstars
nofixedstars

I'm in love with this scent...As a bellydancer, I was attracted by the name as well as the description. Bought a full bottle just on speculation, and have no regrets. It's complex, mysterious, sexy, and exotic in a way that transcends cliche.

It goes on sharp, with sparky spice notes & a hint of desert herbs and woods, and is quite masculine in the first stage. This is very transient, only lasting a few minutes; on me, it dries down to woods---especially sandal--- and spice with an evolving honey, incense, and tobacco middle stage that opens up tremendously, acquiring a creaminess and depth, as well as a little growl from amber and musk in the base. I can only faintly detect the rose, but it's in there; it seems to come out a bit more when warm. All sense of masculinity has vanished---this is a seriously sensual and feminine scent, though not a typically femme scent at all. And it's definitely a winner on men as well...It smells completely different on them--- more of a leather note comes up---and utterly enticing.

Migotka
Migotka

Chergui is yet another Lutens masterpiece that I have fallen in love with at the first sniff...

At first, it bears a striking resemblance to a fresh apple pie- but not so gourmand, it's heavy with spices (like a few other reviewers, I definitely can smell cinnamon and was surprised not to find it among the notes), and honey. It's rich and sweet, thick, strong and delicate at the same time. There is also tobacco, and sandalwood in the background.

And it's addictive. It mesmerises from the first second and I suppose I must have looked a bit silly with my nose glued to my wrist on my way back home on the train.

I can't blame Serge Lutens for moving to Morocco if this is where he finds inspirations for such fragrances.

asmhfdbds
asmhfdbds

when i first see serge lutens stand in the perfums shop i run too smell chergui because of all positive review.
I will add of all those positive a new one !
I am shoked that there is no cinnamon in the notes because it smell exactly like cinnamon at the beginning and nothing else !
After a while u can feel that it became more sweet and that's the honey effect.
I noticed that it's more masuline in the begining and has touch of unisex in middle and base.
In the middle after a long time i smell amber cinnamon and honey mix.
It's a great winter special occasion night for older gentelman .
A great calm classy relaxing fragrance with personnality!
Best part of chergui is :longevity i bet that it will last 10+hours with great projection.
A truly masterpiece!

girasolina
girasolina

Semplicemente una meraviglia. Non riesco a descriverlo nella sua trasformazione, nel suo essere, assolutamente da provare. Un capolavoro del maestro Lutens!!!

cinsot
cinsot

Oh my! My nostrils have been waiting an entire life time to experience, no, EXPERIENCE, this glorious creation.

Mere words cannot describe the ecstasy of total surrender into this surreal and yet equitably real landscape.

Other reviewers have succeeded in describing the notes so please look below for a rational description as I'm not capable of such a task at present.

Perhaps in a few days time when the euphoria wears off (as if!) I may try to do this work of art some justice?

Now, where was I...? Oh yes, miles away...

please dont insult this scent comparing it to Dior Addict

Heverton
Heverton

An explosive combo of honey / amber accompanied by notes of tobacco. Simply sensational! I finally found the perfect scent for occasions that require a suit and tie, and are not very formal.

It is not a projection monster but the longevity exceeds 20 hours on my skin.
To conclude: it was worth every penny. I really recommend everyone to at least try this piece of art.

Liyin
Liyin

Chergui is hot, smoky, dry, sweet, exotic, like a door to a different world with whirling sands in the winds and an almighty sun. And it lasts long as well - after its desert devils have danced all evening around me, in the morning I am still enveloped in a soft veil of tender warmth.

I agree with Kchild - you absolutely must try it in summer (1-2 dabs are enough for me), it's then when Chergui reveals all its magic, and it's comforting caress comes to life! And yes, it does remind me of Addict a bit (particularly DA's drydown, without DA's salty, dark freshness), but it's this one that I find addictive, whereas Addict I can't wear.

zsazsa
zsazsa

Melia, I agree totally with you. Chergui is like the niche interpretation of Dior Addict. Although I find Chergui to be better and smoother than DA, I won't be getting a FB anytime soon, I still have some DA left. The honey, tobacco and ambernotes really stand out on my skin while the sillage is moderate, and longevity is pretty good, 5-6 hours.

vdxl
vdxl

An extremely sensual and also balanced interpretation of Morroco: rose, cedar, incense and iris. While it is minimalistic, it manages to evoke the orient without having too many notes "fighting" inside. It is like a wind in the desert. Splendid. Another great masterpiece from Serge Lutens. After discovering Serge Lutens, Montale or even Comptoir Sud Pacifique you cannot apreciate anymore the "designer fragrances". Most of them smell cheap and "unfinished" afterwards. And I'm not considering lasting power and sillage. ( Serge Lutens perfumes' last, but not excessively so- exception
Arabie).

P.S: While I do find it interesting, I do not reach for it as often as for Tubereuse Criminelle or Daim Blond( my second skin). But I do appreciate it and it smells sexy in both summer and winter.

melia
melia

Hmm.. There are a lot of long and detailed reviews, I'll keep it short:

The dark brown liquid produces an initial blast of Chrismas holiday on my skin. They don't seem to be in the notes, but I do smell very cozy nutmeg and cinnamon... Bit like a Chrismas gingerbread-cookie. The drydown is somewhat more masculine and dark, so unisex it is! Still very sexy for both sexes. Longlivety and sillage are great like we would expect from SL.

edit: now I know! Chergui is a bit like the niche and unisex take/interpretation on Dior Addict.

Αλεξάνδρα
Αλεξάνδρα

Chergui, you have mesmerised me! You eloped me, dressed in your Eastern costume on a camel, and took me to places far and magical. Yes, initial medicinal notes may hinder a bit the way to an AMAZING dark brown dry down, deep syrupy sweet and sticky, balanced with smoke and with a touch of spice. So sensual! It feels as the print of a woman's perfume on a man's skin, after spending the night together. Therefore, it quite defies gender. Many fragrances have tried to impress with musk and spices, but their effect has been fleeting, and finally I had to get away from them. Chergui has managed to keep me in his tent... how long for? Let's say that longevity is what gives this powerful dry down the chance to shine all day!

Edit: the most prominent note right now is Frankincense, and not incense as listed above; I got a Frankincense Extrait de Parfum from Dubai and they smell really close (Chergui more musky and tamed).

Kchild
Kchild

There are some magnificient reviews on this so I'm just going to give it a bit of a different take.

I'm revisiting this after a long sebatical and it's stunning. Sometimes Uncle Serge goes a little too crazy w/the spices for me but that's not the case here.

I can understand everyone's instinct to wear this one in the cooler months but in fact~Chergui blooms in the heat. She becomes all of the things she was born to be when she warms up.

First off~I can't take my nose from my wrist. She develops confidently knowing that she was made by a master. She leans heavily on that knowledge and goes from "glory to glory" as it were. I can understand all of the prose written about her because she is definately evocative. I feel differently when I wear her. Like I have a secret that's showing slightly.

Chergui is a modern classic to my nose and w/my chemistry. She's a dry, honeyed, smokey wonder and will illicit questions about the person wearing her. Not about their sanity or taste......more along the lines of "Who is this? This person may not be who I thought they were".

Marlene Dietrich would have worn this fragrance perfectly. Unisex only until you put it on.When my Husband wears it it's decidedly masculine. When I wear it~incredibly feminine.

Find some heat and put some Chergui on. You'll never look at each other the same way again.....

diorshowman
diorshowman

The opening of Chergui is a bit rough around the edges and is very medicinal. Not until the drydown does the sweetest come into play and the fragrances becomes much smoother.Chergui is much more enjoyable, I think,if it is smelled at a distance...it leaves an amazing scent trail. But if you put your nose directly to the area in which you sprayed, it can be very repulsive. It is a very unique fragrance, and one that will confuse anyone who have been only smelling designer fragrances all their life. Chergui, and all of Luten's fragrances, aren't just perfumes, they are compositions, each which tells a story.

Longevity:A
Projection:B-
Uniqueness:A+
Versatility:B
OVERALL: A-

Douche Meter: 1/5*

*check out my profile to see what the douche meter is

maknine ezzine
maknine ezzine

magnifique parfum!!!!....rien a dire....la onts'ont fou du siage ou longivite!!!.....l'odeur l'odeur!!!!
ol interpret bien son nom....chergui (vent de l'est!!!)

fpih
fpih

I'm not good at finding individual notes in a perfume. I think I detect the hay in this one, as well as the amber and that is all. What I do know, is that I find the result sweet, sultry and unique; there is no perfume that smells like this one. It is also heady, long lasting and enveloping with quite good sillage.

The question is do I like it? Well, the best I can say is that it's not bad and it lasts a lot. And I like the way my clothes smell after I have worn this. But this is not a perfume that steals my heart or that I'll try to replace as soon as my bottle is over (if ever). I certainly appreciate its uniqueness, but in the end, it's a little sweeter than I usually like. Besides, it reminds me of a hot, Louisiana evening breeze, rather than a desert wind. I swear, I can almost detect the swamps, the heady flowers, even the music of New Orleans in that smell. And surprisingly, it's more sophisticated and elegant than sexy. Not my kind of scent but definitely one worth trying.

BOBBAFETT17
BOBBAFETT17

The first time I smelled this fragrance I fell in love with it. The sweet smell of honey and a hint of hay just give a feeling of luxury. Unless you try this and smell it you will understand what I mean

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

This is far too strong on me - I just get a heavy dose of amber and incense.

This is often listed as one of the best scents by Lutens while IMO it's really nothing special. Smoky-Tobacco, Honey (a lot), Amber, Sandalwood...averything is so perfect, like a good student's creation. You can find the recipe for this one in the "Young Perfumer Manual", page 34, paragraph "Oriental Spicy Fragrance". Just kidding, but really nothing special to my nose.

Rating: 5-5.5/10

bhougland
bhougland

I don't find anything really unique or "odd" about this scent. It smells like tobacco vanilla baby wipes. A similar scent in many respects would be Versace's Dreamer but I don't think this is as good. Save your money.

Lady Love
Lady Love

Stunning, and utterly unique!!

If you don't like the first sniff, just wait until the drydown!! This is definitely one of the best oriental spicy since Opium!

Intense, smoky-intoxicating, dark, misterious, spicy, musky - vanilla. It's addictive, I can't keep my nose away from it!

Chergui's Sillage is moderate and longevity is excellent.

armchair sailor
armchair sailor

I agree with what others wrote: it reminds of an aged nice man, and I'm fine with it. I can also smell the gourmandishness typical of Serge Lutens, much less prominent than in, say, Arabie, but of the same kind. It doesn't evoke the desert, as it is claimed on the ads, or anything mysterious or dangerous, and here's its major flaw: I can't imagine anyone feeling sexy wearing it, at all, so I can't see the point of buying it.
Perfumes can make me feel good if they can make me feel more attractive, even when I'm going to bed (alone) ;).
People who have a different idea of why wearing perfumes might love it at first sniff.

samsara1977
samsara1977

I've been testing this now for the second time. The first time, it couldn't captivate me, it was dull. It took me a while to re-test it.

It's warm and spicy in the opening, very comforting and perfect for winter.
I kept on thinking that I red a review a while ago that someone was recommanding this for a wedding day.
This absolutely does not fit for a wedding. I would say a funeral... .

It misses flowers or something fruity. Normally that can work perfectly, I'm thinking about Le Feu by Issey Miyake or Feminité du Bois or Tentation by Paloma Picasso, the spicy smell. But here I always tend to mix this up with i.e. Miss Dior Chérie or something else that is fruity because it's so plain.

All I smell after half an hour is incense. Although when I smell it close to my skin or on a piece of cloth, it's nicer, it's the air that it spreads that I don't like.

I really wanted to like this one.
Maybe I'm not the right person to wear it.
I always keep on thinking how I smell to others when this creeps even in my nose for hours. Maybe they think I come from church (and I NEVER go there!):)

tourmali45
tourmali45

I tried to like it, but to no avail. Chergui chokes me with the cloyingly sweet vanilla cloud that just doesn't go away for hours. It's the case when I actually regret that the lasting power is that good. I sprayed my wrist only (clever me!) but I tried to scrub it from me for hours, I used wet wipes, soap, and I still could smell this nauseating stink at the end of the day. Needless to say, the sweater had to be washed 2 times and I still could detect the faint notes of Chergui on it. I'm surprised that someone has only 4 hours of it....A headache in a bottle. Surprisingly, I just love Arabie and Ambre Sultan, and they are also quite sweet and complex scents. Well, I'll stick to them then.

hollycat
hollycat

I find this perfume kind of non-descript. I cant say if smells like this or that. Yes... I can pull out a few notes like the honey and tobacco. But still its not what I would call a tobbaco or honey scent. Its blended in such a way that there is not one note that I feel stands out above the rest.

Unfortunatly it doesnt stimulate my imagination, that it has done with so many others. Njdeb wrote a beautiful review of her scent journey with this.

All I can say about this perfume is that it smells thick, a bit sweet, and OK I do smell vanilla and Amber. Its like the amber and vanilla weaves everything together into a perfume that cant be compared or classified as anything that I have in my scent memory.

Overall I dont find this perfume odd. But I dont find it remarkable. I guess my life has never brought me to a place that I can have any sort of A-HA momment with this perfume.

Not much sillage, if any on my skin. Longevity is not impressive.

Ill have to update if I have any eurika momments with this one.

Updated to add: After wearing this perfume a few more times Im finding the lasting power great. Sometimes my skin needs time to adjust to a perfume, or maybe my nose needs time. Sillage is still close to my skin. Its a smooth vanilla amber fragrance with hints of smoky tobacco and honey. Im not picking up the hay note. Very well done.

mseidoom
mseidoom

This was very spicy and sweet. I got a heavy cinnamon note while wearing it. It had good enough sillage and the longevity was great. I didn't really "smell" any tobacco. Luckily for me, I happen to like cinnamon.

MsMaryO
MsMaryO

Beautiful, beautiful scent. Dry wood with spiced honey drizzled on top, then set aflame and allowed to burn down to a glowing ember. njdeb had it right when she compared it to glowing red embers. This is very aptly named, too - Chergui is a hot desert wind - that describes it very well.

This opens a little masculine on my skin but quickly moves into the feminine side of unisex - the dark, sweet and sexy feminine side. Absolutely beautiful in every way. If you like spicy orientals like Gucci Eau de Parfum or by Kilian's Back to Black, you will love this!

My only complaint about Chergui is the longevity. It lasts just under 4 hours on my skin. Now if I was paying $40 for a perfume, I would call that acceptable. But at SL prices, I would expect more. I'm still deciding if the beauty of it makes up for the lack of longevity.

njdeb
njdeb

One thing that I love about Serge Lutens scents is that so many of them paint a scene so vividly in my mind.

Chergui evokes the image of a ghosttown somewhere in the arid expanse of the American west, where a hot dry wind blows dust and tumbleweeds through deserted streets and abandoned buildings. I see this town at dusk, with the last remains of a blazing sunset. The feeling is eerie, but calm, and you can almost sense the life that used to inhabit the place.

If this aroma were a color, it would be red - burning embers, spices and hot baked earth. Honey and amber lend a golden sweetness that offers relief from the dry heat and almost desolate feeling of this scent.

Unlike some Lutens that I really admire but have trouble wearing (ie, Arabie and Douce Amere), I have no trouble with this one. It is a deep scent, but not overpowering and (perhaps owing to the musk) melds well with my skin. Just a beautiful perfume.

adrienn99

I had the chance to sample it, as opposed to many reviewers, nothing dry or tobacco-ey.

With me this is sweetish rose with musky sandalwood.

Is very feminine on my skin... the more I use it, the more I love it, if that was possible!

adele l
adele l

Chergui initially smelled like a calmer Hypnotic Poison on my skin( I detest hp) so i washed it off and voila! Now it smells like warm sandalwood- very nice.

hollivomitsyou
hollivomitsyou

i am a little surprised at the notes of this. i was sure there must be almonds. for a woman, i think it is dull. so many better options in my opinion. in fact, it reminds me a bit of both hanae mori and desire by alfred dunhill. on the right man, however, it could be very yummy.

loveperfumes
loveperfumes

Among Luten’s quite a number of half-surreal creatures, Chergui seems quite wearable to me. The fact that the Chergui or Sharqi is a desert wind, persistent, very dry and dusty, reminded me of the legend, how Cleopatra soaked the sails of her ship in myrrh (or jasmine) and burned incense to scent the air and seduce Marc Antony as her ship sailed into Tarsus.

Chergui is a part of the modern popular trend, composes a charming triangle of the scents that are quite similar in spicy base to my nose. Like pies of the same paste but with different filling. Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford is sweetish tobacco - tonka bean base with dreamy head in fluffy vanilla clouds, Chergui is sweetish tobacco- sandal wood base with more heavy ropy caramel lava, and Tonka by Esteban is sandal wood – tonka bean base with ginger filling, in other words, non-sweet fresher version of the above-mentioned, combining warmth with freshness. They are all unisex. To sum up, Tobacco Vanille is more charming, dreamy and fluffy; Chergui is more on the sultry, torrid side; Tonka is less emotional and more detached comparing to the two above. I can’t declare a mad love for any of the three but wouldn’t mind having them all in my collection.

belletresor
belletresor

Well, another high expectation that didn't end as envisioned.

Have had this on my forearm for a couple hours to give it plenty of time to develop. Doesn't look like it will be my cup of tea. It is definitely a "unisex" scent, and in my opinion more masculine than feminine. In fact, I am starting to think it would smell fantastic on my husband! It is obviously a wonderful, complex scent and Serge Lutens is indeed a master perfumer. However, this will only work for women who love the Oriental Spicy genre and don't mind the masculine overtones. As I am sniffing, the adjectives are: warm, dry/sweet, ambery, spicy and leathery. It is the spicy and leathery notes that make this too manly for my tastes. Definitely reminds me of Morocco and other exotic locales. Very sharp/outdoorsy at first, but then warms up nicely on drydown and is not overpowering. I am a floral girl through and through so this won't work for me!

Unlike many of the other more creative and educated reviewers on this website who do an AWESOME job of describing the notes and sillage of a particular fragrance, my only goal is to report MY particular experience and how it fits with the rest of my perfume wardrobe. If you find you and I like the same fragrances, then maybe my reviews will be helpful to you!

One thing I'm discovering is that I definitely have a fragrance profile which seems to be pretty consistent. While I used to like more "unisex" scents in my 20's, nowadays I am more comfortable and happy smelling decidedly feminine. So far, I am not finding that I like fragrances in the spicy oriental group at all, and tend to stay within the florals and chypre florals groups.

lulllull
lulllull

GORGEOUS! All that sweet tobacco goodness laced with honey, musk and the best rose my nose has smelled. It's so complex, so comforting, so cashmere sweater. Jesus christ I could bathe in this stuff if only my bankaccount would allow me :)

Catnip
Catnip

Chergui—a dry, dusty desert wind, which blows hot in the summer and cold in the winter. To say that Chergui is an interesting fragrance would be an understatement. Its warm and spicy nature immediately reveals itself, capturing, even commanding my attention. The first impression is, indeed, of a breeze, hugging me gently. It is a soothing, but at the same time insistent embrace, and I find it impossible to ignore. I can feel the dark honey quite well; then it quickly melts into the notes of amber and aromatic, bitter-sweet tobacco. If there are any flowers here, they are rather subdued. True to its name, Chergui starts and remains exotic.

Chergui is, in a way, a scent of contrasts, where the combination of sweet and bitter notes provokes the senses. Although it is a rich, fairly “deep” fragrance, I wouldn’t necessarily call it “loud.” Like other Serge Lutens’ creations, it tends to stay close to the skin.

Something in it reminds me of an impressionist’s landscape—brightly-hued compositions, but delivered with soft brush strokes, without strong, definitive lines. It’s certainly worth trying by anyone liking spicy, moderately sweet fragrances (I wouldn't call it gourmand, though). It has excellent longevity on me.

sfsassy
sfsassy

I got this scent without testing it first. I love it. It's a little heavy. Just a spay or so will do you for hours.

I get mostly a warm amber. To me this is a classic oriental scent. Great for fall too.

9154mf
9154mf

Smokey vanilla-amber rose is how I would describe this. It's intense, at least to begin with. It's sweet as well,and its kind of powdery too (the amber, I guess). I can see why alot of people like this, and after i first tried it I was gonna get the FB straightaway, but Ive decided I need to drain my sample first and then if I still like it enough, Ill buy it.

mellybee
mellybee

Somewhere in South-Morocco.

Moveless, milky-foggy dimness, a ballet performance begins in a man's imagination only: slowly start the little cyclones, as if djinns - only just broken out from the hot bottle - would dance.

The hot, burning, red sand moves, a dance begins, as when a curtain rolls up, the hot east wind of the desert revives, it brings thousand wafts, far resins, flavours, as if this turmoil would be going until the sky and would bring some world forgotten for a long time down from there.

This swirl lasts until a lot, the little djinns hang on at each other, the music gets stronger, the hot wind breaks in, diffuses the honey, the smell of the musk, the leather and the incense, the smell of the pipe tobacco, the amber, the rose, the sandalwood.

The tall, black haired man sits on the terrace of his cottage in Morocco, smokes cigars and dreams.

He dreams, that he should bottle this, the desert storm overflew from its deep movelessness, the dance of the djinns, the diversified fragrance cavalcade.

He bottled it. He also bottled a lot other fragrances, but this had been one of his masterpiece.

SandraS
SandraS

At first I could not smell it at all. then some strange scent emerged (bug spray) and I was ready to give up.

After some minutes a lovely smell emerged from my skin and I fell for it.
An intimate scent full of sweet nuances that conveyed a sense of cozyness and intimacy. If a man wore this I think I would be glued to his skin and smell.

Petula30
Petula30

Very challenging..Almost unbereable to wear but after few days it just clicked and I´m in love.

VioletLily
VioletLily

This is one heavenly elixir. An extraordinarily beautiful meld of incense, honey, musk and leather with hints of sandalwood, amber, dry tobacco and a wisp of smoke. And the sillage is gorgeous...it simply illuminates. I discovered I prefer to dab Chergui onto my skin though. When sprayed, it can be a bit too much.. An unfortunate bug spray or repellent mixed with a petrol note (a hint of Bvlgari Black, which isn't a bad thing, as I get a hint of it when dabbed) emanates from my skin and stays there quite a while. It's still lovely, and these notes aren't totally offensive as they help in making this Chergui what it is, but the true art of the fragrance takes a little longer to emerge. When dabbed, the divine honey, musk, incense and leather notes come out instantly.

PS: Another interesting discovery was that if I do decide to spray intead of dab, I apply some Mara Fox Love Potion perfume (which is heavy on the honey) and it softens the bug spray effect straight away and really brings out the sweet honey notes. Perfect for when I'm in the mood for a more syrupy sweetness than the dry sweetness that Chergui becomes.

pimentosugars
pimentosugars

Hmm. I like the dry down far more than the top notes, which come across as synthetic, almost metallic, to me...on some level a bit like Comme Des Garcons perfumes, with their ubiquitous tinny edge.

Then the notes roll into a blend of roasted nuts, tobacco and sugar, warm, non challenging, inoffensive, a gourmand that isn't about making one smell like mama's cooking or a boiled sweet. It's a scent that grows on you and it's pleasant enough. I would say of all the SL fragrances I've tried on my skin,this is the nearest to a mainstream bearable-wearable, which is to say that no-one will choke and say 'How disgusting,' but no-one will remark upon it or remember it either. I require more wow factor in my fragrances.

Really nice, but almost too strong and has a soapy edge that's odd for the listed notes.

Zhara
Zhara

Definitely a sensual unisex fabulous scent. printed words can not give enough enthusiasm to the description of this perfect frag.

It starts with fresh black tea leaves, lime rind, hot sun, leather... crushed and producing the finest droplets of elixir. Additionally, one particular note that I hesitate to even mention, as it's an over-used note in recent years that now carries an unfortunate juvenile stigma: There is a sugar in the drydown - one that is quite stately, grown up and magnificent.

It's a sugar that would make a little kid frown. This is no pixie stix, but a raw, wild sugar crystallized on rough frame screens set out in that same hot Moroccan sun drying the leather. "hay sugar"? Turbinado? Jaggery? call it what you will, this is big kid stuff.

My husband and I had to get one bottle each - and he bickers that even that is not enough. The remarkable part here - he has normally worn only novelty gourmands till now; Demeter's Hot Fudge Brownie and Dulce de Leche, Luna's Wookie's Cookie and the like. What does this have to do with Chergui? Only that it's sugar can not go unmentioned, that sweet grounding note can not be under-emphasized.

This scent, for all the leather, is just so very edible. A sparkling but deep-colored summer quencher that you simply could gulp down by the pitcher, yet you also want to savor each sip. A fragrance fit for hot weather, while never becoming frivolous. A heavy, rough sugar that says "adults only."

An absolute dream of a scent. One of the very best.

Chergui by Serge Lutens 4.29 out of 5 based on 1621 ratings and 230 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Serge Lutens Chergui fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Serge Lutens Chergui, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Chergui by Serge Lutens. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Chergui by Serge Lutens represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.