Designers » R S » Oriental Vanilla « Groups

dislike

I have it: 726 I had it: 213 I want it: 633 My signature: 10

tuberose
almond

Datura Noir by Serge Lutens is a Oriental Vanilla fragrance for women and men. Datura Noir was launched in 2001. The nose behind this fragrance is Christopher Sheldrake. The fragrance features coconut, tuberose, tonka bean, almond, lemon blossom, mandarin orange, musk, chinese osmanthus, heliotrope, myrrh, vanilla and apricot.

Coconut Tuberose Tonka Bean Almond Lemon Blossom Mandarin Orange Musk Chinese Osmanthus Heliotrope Myrrh Vanilla Apricot

Osmanthus
Prada La Femme

Datura Noir Fragrance Reviews

Brigante21
Brigante21

Whoever said this smells like Herbal Essences Hydration range is absolutely spot on, that's exactly what it smells of!

I bought it blind for a decentish price of £48 based on the notes, which I love. The fragrance itself a like rather than love though, there's absolutely nothing dark or sinister about it although it's one to avoid if you're not a heady tuberose fan.

I've heard it's being discontinued so now might be the time to grab it if you've been wavering.

RubyBirdy
RubyBirdy

Expensive suntan lotion, really. Coconut with some floral notes. Perfectly unobjectionable, very nice, even - but nothing "noir" about it. Nothing datura either.

gtabasso
gtabasso

On spray, this smells like a leathery floral then the fruits present. It is lovely but smells like something else that I own but can't place but I know is less expensive.

verasdfghjkl
verasdfghjkl

I thought I would absolutely love this, as I love the great tuberoses Do Son, Douglas Hannant and Beyond Love... Especially that coconut note seemed very promising. Unfortunately something in this makes it something a tad too soapy for my taste. I think I like my tuberose to either be creamy, full and with gourmand notes or fresh and flowery like Carnal Flower. So for me it feels like this was made without a clear choice on that. Hence, my nose detects a lot of soap. When it doesn't, I am bothered by the coconut if I try to interpret this as main floral and bothered with the heliotrope when I try to smell it as that thick tuberose. So on my skin, I get soap or confusion.

susanawaddell
susanawaddell

Received a sample from a respected decanter. Smells great and tuberose-like on the opening, and I love tuberose but on me it skipped the middle notes and went to a purely almond dry down that smelled faintly unpleasant. I may try a different sample but based on this sample, I would rate this no more than 3 out of 5.

Circuit FAiry
Circuit FAiry

Datura Noir - Cassiano I am relly enjoying your reviews on Serge Lutens fragrances. With respect to this one: Like a diabolic trail of smoke left by Satan in Paradise. Conceptually yes, I get this vibe. There is a smokiness to this fragrance. The overall feeling is sweet, clean and floral with a tinge of darkness that cuts right through all that is white and pure, there is also a bit of green pungent bitterness.

This is my first impression from a small dab stick decant sample. Lets see how this develops :)!

Cassiano
Cassiano

Datura Noir was released in 2001 and its name means "Black Datura". But what is Datura?
Datura is a poisonous flower, also known as Devil's Trumpet, Jimson weed, Devil's fig, among other names. Not to be confused with another flower of the same family, which is called Angel’s Trumpet and belongs to species Brugmansia. All species of Datura (Stramonium, Brugmansia and Ceratocaulis) are poisonous, especially its seeds and its flowers, according to Wikipedia.

Serge Lutens was inspired by the scent of Brugmansia and defends his idea as follows: "Like a diabolic trail of smoke left by Satan in Paradise. Some say this fragrance will enthrall you; others that it will make you crazy. Others still that excessive exposure will kill you dead".

In front of this concept, there's no way to remain static, suffocating the latent curiosity about the fragrance. And the composition promises! It has notes of Mandarin orange and lemon flower, followed by notes of osmanthus, heliotrope, tuberose, vanilla, coconut oil and apricots, on a base of myrrh, bitter almond, musk and tonka beans.

On the skin, the output is floral and narcotic. Some say that the scent of Datura is similar to the Lady-of-the-Night, here replaced by the Tuberose. Quickly, the scent begins to evolve and turns into a mix of vanilla and coconut, with nuances of apricots. It should be remembered that the osmanthus flower gives that nuance and on top of that, we also have the fruits in the composition. For some reason, during this phase, I remembered the smell of Ange ou Démon (Givenchy).

In the last stage of evolution, stands out the bitter of the almonds and nothing else. I feel neither the myrrh nor the musk. Some say that, after completely evolved, it reminds the perfume of Hypnotic Poison (Dior). As far as I remember, the latest exudes much more and has a delicious and warm vanilla.

In General, the result was disappointing on my skin. I created much anticipation about the concept, but the fragrance does not fulfil its role. In addition, it loses projection in about 30 minutes, turning into a semi-gourmand with some nuances of flowers and apricots. It has great longevity, but stays close to the skin.

Datura Noir deserved to be one of those perfumes that almost do not evolve and exhale for hours. If the output remained longer, it would be much better. Unfortunately, the fragrance gets lost between the coconut and vanilla and what's left is a scent of cookies being baked on a tropical island. Meanwhile, I remain curious to know what it would be the diabolic trail of smoke left by Satan in Paradise.

tandaina
tandaina

Oh I'm in LOVE. I bought a handful of samples to find a summer scent and this was the first one I tried. I probably don't need to try the rest. I'm hooked. I've never smelled datura so cannot comment on if this smells like that but for me it's a dusky sweetness of lilac, a hint of rose, maybe the tiniest bit of jasmine. I don't smell coconut but it is delightfully creamy so I might call it coconut *milk,* not the dried sweetened stuff.

It's a hovering light scent that smells like a spring or summer night to me. Delightful, heavenly. I'm buying a bottle.

Suzjdh
Suzjdh

You know how you can encounter a smell and it immediately evokes a memory from childhood - well the second I put this on, I smelled the honeysuckles of my youth. We had huge luscious honeysuckle vines in my backyard, and Datura Noir smells just like that. It's gorgeous. It actually smells more like honeysuckle than some honeysuckle perfumes I've tried. (And it isn't even a note in this scent. Must be some combination.) Settling down to a creamy, soft white floral. I'll post an edit on the drydown.
Update: Sadly, the honeysuckle note is fleeting - as Luca Turin says all honeysuckle scents are. What is left is a soft tropical creamy floral. Lovely in a nondescript way.

Soofiya
Soofiya

I don't know what real datura flower smells like,but I have read it smells like tuberose,but less heavy and creamy,if that's right then what a nice pleasure to know you dear datura,because I really like tuberose but after couple of minutes I find it very heavy,too much creamy and boring
For me,datura noir is a blend of florals,light tuberose dominated,coconut,almond and a hint of vanilla,I find it creamy,sweet and a kind of fruity gourmand without being heavy or candylike sweet,not a love for me,but definitely a like..it dries down to a coconut vanilla almond cream,a bit gourmandish,very rich and rounded
It reminds me versace crystal noir without spices and with more soft florals so I prefer this one to versace...you can use it all around the year but I prefer cold seasons..unfortunately I can't detect any citrus notes,myrrh and musk...
Stays nearly long on me(at least 7 hours)with a more than moderate sillage

Thesheppardswife
Thesheppardswife

Datura Noir has been on my want list since June so I was delighted to receive a bottle of it for Christmas.
I have grown both datura and brugmansia and much as I usually love white flowers, I couldn't handle either of them. The brugmansia ended up at the bottom of our property as that was as near as I could stand it. I would not say that datura is present in this frag. As I am learning with the floral frags, it is more the idea of a flower than trying to replicate a specific flower.
Parts of the datura are poisonous/hallucinogenic. Uncle Serge's descriptions of his fragrances are often quite "trippy" so it makes a bit of sense to me, his reference to this flower. It is about as logical as any of the other names of his frags.
As for the fragrance itself, the first few moments have a little coconut going on, then it is floral - all sorts of sweet flowers. Tracking this scent is like trying to catch a butterfly. It lands on one sweet thing in the garden, flutters about and is then on to the next thing. I am reluctant to catch this beautiful butterfly and pin it down, but if I have to..........
Datura Noir lands on heliotrope, mock orange, phlox, and buddleja, but is grounded for a bit of a rest, thanks to the musk and vanilla.
Yes, a beautiful butterfly.
Edit Jan 16/ I wear a perfume everyday but rarely do I receive comments, good or bad. Datura Noir has received many compliments.

Edit May 16/ It has been almost a year since I first smelt DN and I realize the memory most linked to this fragrance is being in Portland.
It was a very warm night in June, we were waiting for a table at Pok Pok, so went over to their bar on the other side of the street - The Whiskey Soda Lounge. I had a "mango alexander" for a cocktail, which was heaven. ( The ingredients I can remember were mango,alcohol and coconut cream.) Datura Noir was on my arms and the drink smelt so good....... It was a lovely evening, now captured forever in a bottle of scent.

globus pallidus
globus pallidus

Despite being a proud owner of tuberose plants, I never smelled a datura in real life.
I also probably had the wrong approach to this fragrance. Having read the ad copy, I expected it to be another Tubereuse Criminelle, which I passionately love. It's not. What I get is a vanillic, creamy, undiscernible white floral. A nice one, but I'm underwhelmed.

Edit: After a number of wearings I have to conclude that I really do like it, but it's not a love for me. It's well made and less sweet than expected considering the notes. I just can't get past the sunscreen association - and I'm not a beach person at all.

nero77
nero77

Sweet, Honeyed Floral...

There is something so intoxicating about this one. Like a narcotic flower which seduces with it's sweet decadent aroma. Datura Noir reminds me that Serge Lutens knows how to make astonishingly rich, decadent floral compositions. I'm taking about A La Nuit, the jasmine tuberose powerhouse, and my personal favourite, Fleurs d'Oranger, a heady mix of orange blossom and tuberose.

Here, the main flower is tuberose, coupled with almond, heliotrope and vanilla (a trio which compliment each other perfectly) and coconut, which adds an exotic touch to an already deeply exotic perfume.

If you are a fan of heady, tropical florals, then in my opinion you cannot beat a Serge Lutens perfume like this one. Why? Because not only does it smell fantastic, it actually smells natural too. It is as if you are in a tropical greenhouse full of rare, indolic, organic tropical flowers in full bloom, and you put your nose up to a huge white flower, and the smell knocks you off your feet. If you like sweet, green, natural and tropical (not to mention realistic), then give this one a go!

mysterious_scent
mysterious_scent

This is datura flower in a bottle. The top notes are heady, maybe too heady, slightly green. It has a metallic edge, followed by a huge coconut note. I also smell almond and some rasins. The overall affect is very buttery.

miletas89
miletas89

It actually smells like datura!! How very exciting!

In the beginning, you get a nice tropical scent of tuberose, jasmine, and all those nice creamy white florals along with a touch of coconut. As the fragrance dries down, the datura really starts to come out. If anyone has ever smelled a datura flower, it smells kind of like tuberose, but without the heavy milky creaminess. Also, as it dries down, it smells like what Chanel Gardenia smells like throughout its life on the skin - light white floral. Datura Noir is a bit more dramatic and dynamic, and the Chanel is, in contrast, a bit linear. I like both; but I like the opening of this one much better.

hedwiginberlin
hedwiginberlin

I don't know what went wrong between us. I was prepared to love you, but you smelled like cherry cough syrup. Goodbye, Datura Noir, we won't be meeting again.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

Suggested for me by a fellow in the Las Vegas Barney's store.

Nice, but that opening is way feminine... Not for me. Not my style.

Interesting in that I saw a datura plant today on an ancient Native American rock dwelling tour. Apparently the datura leaves can cause 24 hour hallucinations!

Cynicalwish
Cynicalwish

A kind fragrantican gifted me a sample of this beauty (thank you so much MrsLetterO!).It starts quite loud, sweet and flowery, with the familiar coconutty smell of "Monoi". Give it some time and it becomes softer, a tiny bit powdery thanks to the heliotrope, with the almonds taking the place of the coconut.
Reading the comparison, I find it less spicy than Crystal Noir and less "bittersweet" than Hypnotic Poison.
Lovely!

weasley
weasley

This smells exactly like the Moringa Milk Body lotion from the Body shop. It's kind of a strange soapy scent, that might be a little polarizing, but I really enjoy it. It smells like tuberose blended with suntan lotion, perfect for a summer evening! I wish the coconut was more present on me though and that the tuberose was a tiny bit softer. I'm not huge on white flowers, but this has made me realize that I do infact need a tuberose in my wardrobe..

HalfBaked
HalfBaked

Hmmm, after reading the reviews before mine I think I should try this again when the weather warms up. I tested it on a Autumnal evening and again during a rainy day and got similar results both times:

Very loud opening of synthetic Play doh and heliotrope, mixed with cherry cough syrup. It strongly reminded me of those blue urinal cakes in public toilets. After a couple of hours the synthetic smell fades and is replaced by a lovely natural heliotrope/white floral/almond mix which is much more pleasant. I only sprayed a couple of weak sprays as the the opening is so overpowering, but by the time it has reached this delicious stage it really is more of a skin scent.

Not for me based on the strong and unpleasant opening, which is a shame as the base is quite lovely.

pi^2
pi^2

This is the smell of a party in garden on a warm and humid summer evening, when the smell of flowers is accentuated by nightfall. Although this is not exactly a datura fragrance, it does capture something of their heavy, sweet, exotic scent.

c3c
c3c

So I just had my sample out after going through my overload and I sneered at it remembering how much I had disliked it the first time I tried it. But I saw a bottle for sale at a decent price and decided to dig that sample out and give it another go, and I liked it! I just got on Fragrantica excited to add it to my haves list and saw the post by Ladesyrable and laughed because yes, it's flippin hot as heck today and I'm roasting and that is when I tried it and also changed my mind! Weird right?
I agree it is a heavy sultry scent and I can smell a powdery coconut, like the Pacifica "almost play dough" coconut but the tuberose keeps it from completely going there. I also get the white floral and slight marzipan vibe all meshed together with no one scent overpowering the other. I do think the playdough coconut is a strong competitor for the tuberose and white florals. There is also something in the mix that gives it a black licorice feel, in the same way it appears in Bvlgari Jasmin Noir. It's a little different and may be why I wasn't thrilled the first time I tried it. But I'm glad I've come to enjoy it now.

cool_sparkling_water
cool_sparkling_water

I was really excited to try this based on the reviews mentioning coconut, almonds, vanilla, sugary and gourmand. I got a tester promptly.

To me surprise, I am mainly getting a slightly generic, creamy, softly exotic coconut and gardenia/tuberose scent. Nothing else really.

I would say this is a mainly tropical/beachy white flower scent. It reminds me a lot of the fragrance Coco Monoi from The Thymes. Also some coconut/floral fragrances from TerraNova.

ladesyrable
ladesyrable

I've had a sample of this for a while, but I couldn't quite decide whether I liked it or not. It had something seductive to it, something that attracted me but I couldn't put my finger on it and my perception of it would change depending on the day or my mood.

Yesterday, at a perfume store, I sniffed at it again and thought, hm, have they reformulated this?? Even asked the sales person, but she didn't think so. She did spray my wrist with it a little and I just LOVED it, all of a sudden.

So what has changed? Reading through other comments, it suddenly dawned on me: outside temperature is what has changed!

I would not have thought this to be a summer perfume as I always perceived it as a bit on the heavy side, but we're having a heat wave right now and it develops beautifully, I really "dig" it :D

I might get me a bottle for my summer perfume, since what usually is perceived as "fresh" and "summery" contains citrus and that unfortunaletly just curdles on my skin instantly...

Misscreme
Misscreme

Je vois bien une femme puissante, singulière et habillée toute en noir, qui incarne cet élixir maléfique. Son regard est caché parmi d’autres. Mais, elle est toujours déchirée et possède une nature contradictoire, qui est bousculée entre le bien et le mal. Son âme est tel un élixir délicieux à l’amande amère et qui illustre sa féminité sensuelle et le déclin de son enfance. Son âme passionné résiste exposé au mal et laisse entrer le soleil lumineux dans ses pétales de fleur d’Héliotrope comme si elle prolongeait sa vie, en exerçant son charme sur la divinité Hélios. Tel un serpent gracieux séducteur et venimeux, elle attire sa proie, en l’aveuglant par sa beauté mystique et piquante…

naomin
naomin

Interesting fragrance. I really wanted to like this one but...it did not work for me one bit, in fact it made me gag a few times. BUT throughout the 4 hours I did my best to give it a chance and not scrub it off, I have summed it up to the best of my ability.

First off the opening. If you could make a more synthetic plastic coconut you could scent it with the opening of this perfume.

Then that goes away and lo and behold...almond! After about 15 minutes of that fake plastic coconut smell, it subsided and out came the almond which was nice, but also short lived and accompanied by a few other smells.

A touch of vanilla and apricot settled in, and this was my only comfort. The apricot didn't last long, but the vanilla stuck around just a bit to keep me from scrubbing away some other less pleasant notes that were beginning to surface.

According to the notes chosen here by all you people with more sophisticated noses than my own, is tuberose the horrible "flowers should have been thrown away 3 days ago" smell?

I want to like musk. Really I do, but I just don't. Sometimes it depends on what else is going on, but it didn't help here.

Also...there is a note of "new mother" in here. Smells like Pampers (Swaddlers, to be specific the fake powdery scented one that only comes in sizes tiny and adorable). Also smells a touch like the Bio-oil mom might be using on her stretch marks.

I will respect this perfume due to all it conjures up, and the intricacies to be found. I'm sure it smells better on others than it does on me.

lilalina
lilalina

Smells like a tropical island, this scent is very creamy gourmand, coconut and vanilla, yet it has this beachy feeling to it, very beautiful

shushkin
shushkin

I love this fragrance but I have to say that its name is rather deceiving. I grow datura and know only too well what the flower smells like. Once inhaled never forgotten. It definitely has a narcotic effect and I love it. Very heavy, sweet and with almost a ginger note.
Datura Noir is more about tuberose, coconut, almonds and osmanthus for me but equally rich and decadent as the dutura fragrance. These notes may possibly infer that it is a gourmand fragrance but it is not. Tuberous rules. A fragrance for night only and when you want to be queen of the night.
Good sillage and good longevity.

Extraordinary scent, lots of yummy coconut and vanilla which reminds me of sorbet or ice-creams. I can't smell tuberose and that is really good because I usually don't like typical tuberose centered fragrances.
All in all, I like this scent a lot, even if it is quite unusual.
I am not sure if I can wear it though.

Fragrantlife

Third and final review: it is a beach perfume, something I am not very fond of. In that category, I find Sensuous Nude by Estée Lauder to be much palatable than this juice. Put plainly, it smells cheap, plasticky and insecticide-like on my skin. Even the tuberose smells fake. No lost love here. Sorry Serge.

Mojtabaa
Mojtabaa

So where is the scent of "Datura" in this perfume?
You know Datura is a really nice smelling flower.
The name of this perfume is misleading because no trace of datura is present at work.

sfdla
sfdla

It's taken me a while to review Datura Noir though I've had it for some time. It is a beautiful mastery of fragrance that broadcasts femme. Heady and mysterious with crazy longevity--one spray on the back of your neck will be there the next morning, unfaded and alien in the sunshine.

For all its beauty Datura Noir has a subtle ripe-to-the-point-of-rotting note. I find it is my go-to for events I don't really want to attend. I can't quite place that note. The florals are all familiar (though I'm not from a tropical climate). When I'm not paying attention I get the impression there is something out there in the garden tonight. It's always the same fragrance, but there are layers around the tuberose that make it seem changeable.

This is social gaiety when no one wants to get up in the morning. Lip gloss and back-combing, meant to look effortless. Maybe a LBD cut low in the back but very chaste in the front. Beautiful lies.

dalmajen
dalmajen

A Tuberose to Admire...
I have finally found a Serge Lutens that I fell in love with, from start to finish. I was very skeptical about this fragrance, as it has a few notes that I don't usually go for. But,for some unknown reason, they worked so well on my skin, I was quite overcome with emotion! Tuberose is not one of my favorite notes, nor, is coconut. I actually was more worried about the coconut, as didn't want the dreaded sun tan lotion vibe! I was praying it wouldn't develop, like it did with Virgin Island Water coconut note! But, this is soft...and creamy. The tuberose is just right! Not loud, nor pushy. The almond is so inviting, and not over powdery. All the notes are complimenting each other, all the way through. I was not expecting such a wonderful harmony..I have tested quite a few of Lutens, and the day before I dug out this tester, I had spent the day wearing Un bois Vanille , thinking this might be the one...it was just a pure stroke of luck that decided to do a full day wearing of Datura Noir..so happy that I did, as I believe I have found my perfect Serge! From the top notes, through the mid notes, to the lovely dry down..very admirable!

Steleale
Steleale

At first spray I get almond and heliotrope, a few minutes later this frag reminds me the smell of a 'woody' tropical beach and later this involves to a soapy smell. It's very pleasant and unique, but I will not buy this frag.

MadeiraD
MadeiraD

Coconut strikes again. I really should know better than to bother trying fragrances with coconut in them at this point, they just do not work on me at all.

Alayna1011
Alayna1011

I am totally loving this scent. It took me a couple tries, the first time I sampled it I really hated it. But it has grown on me and now I think it is the most gorgeous coconut scent.. and I am not a person who is very big on coconut or scents with a tropical vibe. But for some reason this doesn't come across as sickly sweet or cloying the way I find most coconut perfumes-- I think due to the florals and almonds in the background balancing it out.

This is one of the few perfumes that I think of as "creamy" (for some reason most perfumes, even ones commonly described as creamy, never seem to come across that way to me). It is a lusciously thick creamy sugary gourmand almondy coconut delight! I do agree that it is similar to Un Bois Vanille, and if you don't like sweet/gourmand scents like that this may not be a good option for you.

Also, the longevity is good but the sillage is amazing! Opening blast fills up the air around me for sure. Gorgeous, LOVE it!

Fhaldara
Fhaldara

I agree with the reviewers who found this too sweet. It does settle down a bit after about an hour, but I'm not really getting any of the fruity notes. I just received my sample today, so I'll reserve my final opinion until I try it a few more times. Have to say I expected more from Lutens - whether you like or dislike a fragrance from them they are usually interesting!

dsty
dsty

Datura Noir is my least favourite of all the Lutenses I've sampled so far, but seeing how much I loved the other ones that's not saying much: I still like this one!

I'm not sure which season this is most suited for; it definitely has a tropical, beachy vibe but I find that I prefer my coconut in the colder months, especially if they're a bit on the heavy side as this one is.

As for the fragrance itself: the opening doesn't really work for me. It's a little overwhelming: too sweet, too synthetic, too much heavy coconut, too many heavy white florals.
But it settles down quickly; the synthetic vibe is gone after ten minutes, and from then on the scent just keeps getting better and better as it dries down. I really like the coconut at this point, it's rich and creamy without being cloying, and the almonds blend in very nicely as well. The florals retreat to the background a bit and the vanilla makes an appearance. This is where I start to think that I might like at least a little decant of this after all; it reminds me a bit of Un Bois Vanille, only much less heavy and with floral supporting notes instead of woody ones.

Hellita
Hellita

I've learned that I shouldn't expect to love something judging by the notes alone. I tried Datura Noir as it has been on my want list and I must say it's very pleasing to smell, it's very strong and ladylike, but on me this turned into a very expensive smelling soap fragrance. You know, the high end upper class soaps sold at places like "Harrods" or "Selfridges" in London (but not a powdery soap). I'm confused, because how can all these yummy notes turn out to be like soap on my skin?

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against soapy smelling things. It's very interesting, feminine, delightful and a real power house of a fragrance, and the dry down was the best thing about it! I could probably see myself falling for it, if I gave myself some more time (and several tries) to get to know it better. But for now it's just not for me to buy a full bottle of. Although I have to admit that I did sniff my wrists a whole lot while I was testing it, because it's an intriguing scent. I'm sure this could easily turn into a "love" for many fragranticans, but I would have to be a bit more smitten by a scent to justify buying a full bottle :) To me it turned out to be a like, not a love.

little elf
little elf

I have tested this a few times and only now do I love it. My mistake was testing it in warm weather. The notes may be very tropical, but this is a total cold fall/winter air perfume to me. It shines on a chilly night, but I found it much too cloying when it was warm and/or humid (much like Alien Essence Absolue, which is another white flower-vanilla perfume and is one of my favorites!). That said, I tend to think MOST perfumes do better in cold air, so maybe it's just me. Who knows, all I can say is that I love it now! I kind of get the Hypnotic Poison comparisons, but if HP is a gourmand then this is a floral for sure. It's sweet but it does not really smell like something you'd eat. My new love! Serge Lutens never disappoints me :)

Pepperflower
Pepperflower

I don't understand, this has everything I love:coconut, tuberose, myrrh, tonka, vanilla, other flowers....but I found this very nauseating! It smelled like plastic. Tropical plastic if that is even possible. I had to wait until the end to someway enjoy this. This is also strong, I put one spray on my arm and it was more than enough. I'm flabbergasted that I don't like this! It was too much of what I like all mixed together I guess.

Vehrkalia
Vehrkalia

It's a lovely frag. Light but rich,rounded, it has a full body that explode in a flowery and fruity way but not in a oversweet way. I hate too much sweet frag and it isnt.
It's romantic and make you feel happy and relaxed and selfconfident. It has a positive power on me.
I really like Datura Noir. :-)

lairderien
lairderien

Bought blind based on the notes but screechingly sweet when first applied. So much that it made me feel nauseous and instantly want to reach for scrubbing brush....but I persevered due to other reviews. I don't get much tuberose (& I love the stuff in all its slap in your face, creamy glory) - just too much coconut, white florals and something that reminds me of a kitchen cleaner. It does become more bearable but I just get a sweet suntan lotion vibe. If I want a fragrance that reminds me of the beach, I'll stick with EL Bronze Goddess or Azuree (or suntan lotion). Thumbs down for me. Sorry SL :-(

Julie Billi
Julie Billi

Just received a sample from e bay....Disliked it...
Very sweet for me....Too much vanilla, almond & coconut...nothing interesting....

Fragrantlife

This is my second review of DN. My first one was not positive, but it was winter time (see somewhere below), and I decided to give DN a second chance in warm weather.

Well, no, still not for me. I still get the insecticide vibe, with more vibrant coconut and tuberose. It really does not agree with my skin. After 3 hours, the dry down is pleasant enough: a beachy vibe mixing suntan lotion and piña colada, but it's not really my kind of thing -- and even if it were, I would not want to wait three hours to get to the beach, while going the cockroach killing fields. Sorry.

I would love to smell it on people who love it so I know what I'm missing.

I had a period of love with Datura Noir many years ago. I found it so rich, original, different and incredibly projecting and longlasting. Too much. It was overwhelming if misused. The pronlem with SL is that his perfumes always have at least a note more than they should as if the perfumer wanted to make it big and ended up making it "too much". Datura Noir smells like an intense old-style suntan lotion. It can become offensive to others if overapplied. Better to go the caution path with this rich and exotic perfume.

Lana148
Lana148

This opens up with a white floral blast and settles down to, what feels like, honey-vanilla mixed floral. Coconut and almond are there, but no very pronounced.

rue_de_la_roux
rue_de_la_roux

I thought I'd love this with the coconut, tuberose, almond, tonka and all. But no, it's not for me. Something in there smells bitter and makes it a no go for me.

MQBannon
MQBannon

My recent obsession has been trying anything and everything that features tuberose. I loved this from the moment I put it on, even though it seems crowded out by osmanthus, heliotrope, almond and a bit of coconut-vanilla cream. Still, the tuberose is durable enough in the base to persist consistently for a few hours in the background. After this settles, it's all osmanthus, heliotrope (with only that sort of powder), tonka and the tuberose underneath. It's tropical, sweet, and white in the most sultry and complex way. Definitely will be a warm-weather staple for me.

june7rose
june7rose

This perfume is impossible to hate. It may not be your favorite, but it's a safe blind buy for almost everyone. It's a little bit gourmand, a little bit fruity, a little myrh, a little floral, but not tooo much of any one thing. I'd say it's an apricot/almond/myrh-like floral.

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

The opening is classic and promising, although to me (on me) it smells a bit different as regards from how it should, reading the composition: it should contain tuberose and osmanthus, I smell a microscopic bit of tuberose and no osmanthus at all. While instead I get a beautiful, breezy-mentholated carnation note, and since I like it I'll pretend I am right. However it is much elegant and sensual, the floral notes are dense and rich, and there is an enjoyable green/floral balsamic breeze all over, on a powdery/vanilla base comprising white musks and perhaps resins too. I also feel some spices like maybe cumin, and a fresh hint of citrus, or better bergamot. Basically a good classic structure with a contemporary twist, as it is all quite linear, simple and aerial – almost geometrical, like some other recent scents by Lutens. After a while it emerges a little bit of gingerbread heart. So far so good: silky, soft and velvety but fresh, aerial and multi-faceted, feminine and refined but also luring and shady, intriguing and sensual, in a really peculiar minimal way. I thought of Tokyo Decadence for a while. As I said at the beginning, however, this is all just "promising", because in fact, the drydown (which occurs quicker than expected) is far less interesting than the part before. It basically becomes all more generically sweet and powdery, still elegant and dry but undefined and dull – basically the same clean, soapy pleasant drydown you'd have after taking a bath or a shower. It "loses" all that interesting personality as minutes pass, like waking up in the middle of a dream. Quite persistent, though.

Kristina25
Kristina25

I don't understand the bad reviews for this, it's really lovely! If you like tuberose, you're onto a winner with this.

First off, I've got to say, it reminds me of layering a soft oriental over a very expensive suntan lotion. But in a good way! Much classier than Bronze Goddess and other creamy, summery scents. The tuberose really turns it from delicious to beautiful and it has lovely hints of Tonka.

Wearing this makes me feel like I'm relaxing in a beachside cafe somewhere hot and humid. When I wore it around my mother, she said "God I wish I was on holiday now!"

The sillage is perfect in my opinion. The fragrance radiates around me without being too loud or obvious and its lasted me a good four hours so far.

Creamy, classy and an overall gorgeous summer fragrance and a real mood lifter!

mirrorghost
mirrorghost

i love this scent, especially in warmer weather. it's a warm, powdery tuberose. i love tuberose if done right. i think i am getting mostly tuberose, coconut, tonka and lemon blossom from this. it's pretty strong at first, so don't spray too much! i find it's better if i spray my neck then rub half of it off onto my wrists or vice versa. if not, it's too strong for awhile and gives me a slight headache. after that though, it's quite nice. a powdery, tropical floral.

Planet_X
Planet_X

I guess I just lucky with all Lutens so far, it is always as it is according notes on me and never fails to bring smile on my face

If to sniff right from the decant – tuberose in incense so you might think – OMG, that's true floral-oriental, right on the skin – almonds heaven – amaretto plus apricot pits. Also lots of blossom – I personally do not detect is it osmanthus blossom or heliotrope or orange blossom – its just spring alley with trees in blossom. As for vanilla – thank God for those almonds and coconut that prevent me from being vanilla-sick.
Overall – 4.1 from 5, you must have a mood for it.

Nurse Feratu
Nurse Feratu

Blech! Why oh why did I buy this?! So far it's the ONLY Serge Lutens that's a "scrubber" on me. When I first spray it it's a lovely fruity floral, mostly apricot and the slightly "dirty" scent of tuberose; very interesting. After the drydown though it becomes a baby powder nightmare! No blossoms, no coconut, no almond, nothing but the stench of soured diapers in a diaper pail.

Beauté_Orientale
Beauté_Orientale

Poisonous. Its not oriental and not vanilla fragarance. It has strong floral opening and turns into suffocating bitter scent. Plus it caused me a headache.

[email protected]
nadeem.saleh85@gmail.com

Smells like a little bit of tuberose+ orange suntan lotion, do I like it? yes! it sort of reminding me of summer, beaches and warm weather. I just tried it, waiting until it calms down which I wont be surprised to smell a bit of lemon blossom,coconut and musk.

diva90403
diva90403

Outsh... Smells just like my former Pantene hair shampoo for 3 Euro. Guess that's positive for Pantene, but not very positive for the fragrance.

boutonstendres
boutonstendres

Whoa! Not a shrinking violet. What would the world be like if folks who go around wearing Alien, Hypnotic Poison or Black Orchid wore this? We'd be living in Blade Runner. The sillage is not as intense as it seems it would be; the fragrance is just a bold linear. And yet, with all of the lovely ingredients, it's complex.

A cleaner, more masculine (and let's be honest, higher quality) version of Versace Crystal Noir. A dominatrix's or master's perfume. I imagine it'd be intoxicating on a man in a suit and a dress shirt, if you're the submissive type. On the same level of mrow as Gucci Rush.

Too sexy for the office.

thehanna
thehanna

tuberose & coconut suntan lotion

This scent is creamy and remniscent of a makeup product I have owned before or the smell of a summer time vanity table.

I understand why people would say not spend money on this; you can get this smell somewhere else. I disagree. I wouldn't feel confident wearing these notes in a lower grade product without smelling cheap.

pyji
pyji

I finally sampled this and it was my first perfume-induced migraine experience - actually my first migraine period! To me, it is just too much: relentless vanilla and heady white florals, something about it reminds me of Black Orchid, or even Infusion D'Iris which is another popular fragrance I could not befriend. A regrettable experience for me but an interesting one nonetheless, Serge Lutens is unique in his ability to inspire and rouse emotional and even physical reactions. On the positive side, it is incredibly strong, as is to be expected from this house of course.

Edit: I see another reviewer mentioned a dislike for citrus blossoms, perhaps this is why I did not like Infusion D'Iris, I'd previously attributed that to the mastic or galbanum but perhaps not!

windhill
windhill

One of the creamiest perfume I owned. Very charming scent and straight up to my new favorite. Remind me of Hypnotic Poison and Chanel No.5 but lighter and creamier, more floral. Smell natural and last very long(on me 10hours and still dwell). Classy edible scent that conjuring up the image of victorian castle. It may a bit too strong for someone's taste. But if you love white floral or sweet creamy scent I'd recommend this.

temporalgrace
temporalgrace

In the initial opening I get lots of lemon blossom, light, feminine, and pretty. After a few minutes, the coconut starts to seep in; more of a "sunscreen" coconut than coconut milk. Don't get me wrong, though, this doesn't smell synthetic. It's very real and light. I get a slight nuttiness, maybe a hint of vanilla but not much. I expected this to be much warmer and thick because of the tuberose, coconut, and vanilla, but this is definitely a scent that would shine best in the spring and summer. It's absolutely beautiful. Gorgeous and feminine, but light and not a sweets-fest.

moonflower73
moonflower73

Over the holidays I began a quest to discover the world of niche fragrances. I was tired of trying to find a gem in the mainstream fragrance world. I wanted to smell as unique as I feel inside. I started researching Serge Lutens. I was dead set on buying a bottle of Ambre Sultan or Chergui based off of what I read in reviews. The sweet Russian lady at the Barney's in Scottsdale pegged me as a Datura Noir lady. My first initial whiff reminds me of the Butter Cookie doll in the Strawberry Shortcakes series back in the 80's. Their hair was scented and that one was my favorite. I can detect the tuberose and coconut which I enjoy. I don't know what datura smells like. This composition is mesmerizing to me. I can't quite put my finger on it. I imagine this on the lady that got away. She is not innocent but she IS the true gem that you will never find again. She is soft yet seductive. You will never forget her. Her memory haunts you and the smell of Datura Noir encapsulates her entire essence. When I wear her I feel like I become her. Almost as if I were ghost trying to get be seen. Weird? Perhaps. I am glad I was introduced to this lovely work of art.

Fragrantlife

This was a blind buy. Based on the notes and reviews, I was pretty convinced I would like Datura Noir. Well, maybe not.

It has an interesting opening of intermingled tuberose, coconut and lemon blossom. Interesting and promising. However, 5 minutes later, it evolves into a weird lemony, somewhat minty smell with an underlay of vague sweetness.

Half an hour into the dry down, almond emerges. At that point, I don't really discern any tuberose anymore and barely a hint of coconut. It is mostly about lemon and almonds. It reminds me of lemon cake wrapped in plastic.

The final dry down is insubstantial, somewhat generically sweet with a waft of bitterness and lemon oil. It just floats around and lacks anchoring, if that makes any sense.

On a final note, it took me some time before being to able to pinpoint the olfactive association stemming from the DN experience: to me, it smells like RAID spray, the one that my mom used to kill off ants in the 1970s.

I read that DN is more interesting in warmer weather, so I am willing to revisit it when spring comes around. Hopefully, my comments will be more positive then :-)

pravda48
pravda48

Damn, sampled this wanting coconut and tuberose and instead I got:

Lots of vanilla, sweet. LOTS of lemon blossom! (dislike)Gives this the same'off' tone that killed Rihanna's Rogue for me (citrus blossoms don't agree with me). Also a persistently cherry toned almond note comes forward strongly. Then it settles fairly quickly to a softly powdered soap smell with wafts of heliotrope.

On me, unexceptional. May give it another test in the future though.

Rux2589

I've owned Datura Noir for half a year now and I think a second review is in order, because there are some things that I think need to be pointed out:

1. Perfect to wear on a Summer afternoon. It is not as flattering if you wear it during the cold season, or so it works for me. In any case, there's something in the air on hot summer days that really brings out the magic in this perfume, and using it during the Winter just doesn't seem to be the same.

2. When you open the box, you will find that the bottle has a round cap bolted to it and that the spray is separate - you have to attach it to the bottle yourself. While this is useful to some people, I think this mechanism might make the perfume leak or evaporate, so use with caution and buy it if you really plan on using it often.

P.S. I don't care whether it does evaporate or not - I'm definitely buying a new bottle after I finish this one!

Vanessa Dunlap
Vanessa Dunlap

I'm sitting here, enjoying these reviews and gaining some knowledge of this fragrance, and repeatedly sniffing my arm, which I sprayed with my sample of Datura Noir. You are going to think I'm half-crazy (which is okay), but quite a few of the notes in this are pushing my Anais Anais button! I'm not saying that Datura Noir is another version of my long gone, much missed Anais Anais, but this Datura Noir comes pretty close and still gives me her very own personality, as well. I have no idea what datura smells like. I'm getting the floral notes that are listed, and there's a peep of cherry to sweeten them, and a bit of buttery softness which I'm guessing is coming from the almond. So far I can't detect any coconut; this is mostly floral on me. I like this! I'm intrigued. The longer it sits on me, the quieter the floral elements (tuberose, jasmine, lily, etc.) become, and the cherry is able to make her voice heard, a bit more. It quiets down and I get more cherry and almond, with the florals supporting them. I prefer to eat coconuts rather than wear them, and I can't really smell coconut but I think it is there more as part of the foundation of this fragrance. My memory button is telling me that Datura Noir could be Anais Anais's long lost mysterious cousin, coming to cheer me up after years of mourning the loss of my beloved Anais Anais. The only thing that disappoints me is that Datura Noir, after about an hour, becomes very faint on my skin (my skin runs normal to just a tad oily), almost not there at all. Right now it is winter, so I'm thinking that this would last longer/ do better in warmer weather? This is one to take note of and put on the wish list, for now. I won't forget Datura Noir, and I would like to own it, but for the money I wonder if I could do better. If only it had more staying power! I've got my eye on this one, but I'm going to wait a bit.

PS-- I just had a thought. Today I am wearing Chergui (but not on the arm that I applied Datura Noir to). Chergui has been with me all day, and I pretty much smell like I've been visiting with someone who likes expensive pipe tobacco! The perfume aura around me right now is Chergui with a contribution of Datura Noir...and it's not too bad. If one layered the two? Hmmm. Just a thought for you. Personally, I'm going to pass on the Chergui (too masculine for me, but I think delightful on men) and keep the Datura Noir on my wish list. I just had to share the thought about combining them.

A strong and charming scent. Creamy, sweet but not too much and even a little bit spicy. I find it full of white flowers. This magical fragrance made feel warm right away so it's good when it's cold and rainy outside.
Very exquisite and lovable. One of my favorites now.
Also seems to be long lasting.

MilesDevin
MilesDevin

I find this to be quite a beautiful scent. It's one of the more magical scents that lure you in, and sneak up on you during the day. I smell the datura in this, a warm, sensual smell with a mysterious note to it. Almost a "look but don't touch" vibe going on. To be frank, it smells expensive. I receive so many comments about this one, it's ridiculous. Also good for layering. Try it over Lalique's Encre Noir for the fall and winter months. Wonderful

adele l
adele l

Opens as the sweetest, gentlest tuberose fragrance in existence. Really a skin scent on me but one with excellent staying power- very demure and ladylike. After some time on my skin it has morphed into a powdery lilac and vanilla fragrance. Very pretty!

christianne1
christianne1

I normally do not like tuberose, I have said "I don't like tuberose" for as long as I can remember. I remember being given tuberose scented Rigaud candles as a gift and while others were swooning over them, I was feeling woozy while trying to muster a smile and a "that smells nice" without making a face.

A couple of years later I fell in love with Fresh Index fragrances. I loved every SINGLE one of them with a passion except the tuberose. I hated it with a passion. I knew then that tuberose was just not in the cards for me.

Until Serge Lutens. I am not sure what he does with tuberose that changes it for me but suddenly I am starting to love it as long as SL is on the bottle. Datura Noir is my very favorite of all of the SL tuberose scents I have tried so far. The coconut and tonka bean just changes it into something hypnotic. The combination creates almost a semi-magnolia or gardenia like scent. I know it isn't, but it is a big sweet white flower scent that is not like normal musty tuberose that I am used to smelling. The kind that causes my eyebrows to furrow.

Datura Noir was a full bottle blind buy for me. Quite a risk considering I do not normally like tuberose or coconut. But with SL I have learned that there is always the possibility of a new normal.

mippymuppett
mippymuppett

It is amazing how perfume smells different on everyone!! On me this is heavy heavy tuberose out of the bottle. Beautiful but very strong with crazy projection. As it dries down the scent becomes creamy and lovely. Thank goodness for the supporting notes. The coconut, almonds and vanilla really round the fragrance out beautifully. This scent makes me think of an exotic island vacation. This was a bit cloying for me and although several people have stated they consider this a gourmand scent, that was not my experience. Beautiful nonetheless.

lilacteeth
lilacteeth

I just sprayed this on my wrist and I sighed. What a beauty with such development. It never seems the same each time I wear it...which adds a mysterious quality though I wouldn't really say it is noir...just mysterious in it's chameleon like nature. This smells like a rainy day in Spring to me. I feel clean when I put this on - like I've been misted with rain and have been walking amongst tuberose bulbs on a moderate spring day. The opening is actually a bit powdery on me and then settles into a creamy, sweet floral. As it continues to develop I do not get a strong coconut but instead a stronger hint of the lemon blossom which I am loving so much. The hint of lemon blossom gives it some zest. This is my first tuberose scent and I am taken by it. I have read that tuberose has many different ways of smelling (not always immediately agreeable to the nose) but this one could not be more gorgeous. It is very strange to me that some people smell a coconut and vanillic note in here. On my skin, Datura Noir is all floral with a hint of creamy almondness. It is also strange to me that this is classified as an oriental vanilla. I just do not see it as being oriental or vanilla in the slightest...not on my skin at least. It seems to last on my skin for a good amount of time. Sillage seems moderate to strong. It is a stunning scent that I have fallen for.

jtd
jtd

If I squint exceedingly hard, I can sometimes make out an individual part of Datura Noir. Almond, tonka, tuberose.

Simply focussing shows me some combinations. Oh, that was that creamy-coconut/green-tuberose sort of tuberose. Hhmmm. That almond was a bitter-almond/cherry-sweetness pastry gestalt. Nice. The drydown isn’t so much hazy as a vanilla/tonka/musky sweetness rolled loosely together. Lovely.

But Datura Noir is best seen through a unfocussed, half-hypnotized stare. It slides you into the true experience of this perfume. Datura Noir is a perfectly placed suggestion. It’s an impression of imagined summertimes, warm breezes and sweet-talk. It’s a steady, unyielding persuasion. You’re not so much seduced as you simply give way to the undertow. And when you do, it gives you that dreamlike sensation of standing beside yourself, experiencing something and observing yourself experiencing something. It’s as if you’re able to cast a spell on yourself.

Tripping. Lucid Dreaming. Depersonalization. Hypnagogia. Call it what you like.

Datura Noir. Cheaper than hallucinogenics, fewer negative side-effects than religion.

from scenthurdle

Rux2589

This fragrance is so wonderfully weird... and highly addictive! Might not be to everyone's liking, but definitely a must-try!

mister_chaz
mister_chaz

Datura Noir is lovely: it starts with creamy white floral and coconut and dries to powdery vanilla scent. To me, it gives this nice beachy/tropical vibe and shares slight similarity to Keiko Mecheri Osmanthus and Hypnotic poison by Dior. This is a nice sweet cozy scent, recommended for the lovers of powdery heliotrope.

Floreat
Floreat

I really enjoy this fragrance. It's very sweet and very pretty – but in a dangerous sort of way – like the flower. It's one of the more temperamental fragrances I've tried. A lot of times we choose a fragrance based on our mood or the mood we want to be in. Datura Noir is different - it's almost as if it identifies your current mood and mixes with it and in the process a whole new fragrance emerges. I think it has good longevity and projects quite strongly. With that said it might not be the best in close quarters with strangers – as I can see how some may be put off by it. It’s an odd one, but one I can't do without.

truffles
truffles

Yes I noticed the coconut straight away - thought it was probably just my weird nose again so was relieved to see it actually listed as a note!
By smell alone I would interpret DN as coconutty/lilacy.
Was surprised to see the oriental vanilla clasification - don't get vanilla as prominent at all or see the HP connection.
Ooh! My husband has just said he likes it though - I usually just get a meh kind of reaction from him to my perfumes!
I do 'half-like' Datura Noir - it's well constructed, when I first put it on I thought it was right up my street and there is something in the smell that I really like.
I so wish I could wear it but there's also just something I find sickly and cloying (that 'warm' thing - the white florals?) about it so ultimately I can't tolerate it on me. :(
Lasting power on me was long and strong.

flowers-in-the-springtime
flowers-in-the-springtime

Gosh how I LOVE this beautiful fragrance! Dature Noire is a heady blend of gorgeous white flowers and the most fabulous tuberose ever! This puts Fracas in a corner as far as the tuberose scent is concerned.
DN is a sharply heady blend which makes no excuses for its presence. I have found that over the years I have grown to tolerate and love tuberose in a fragrance as long as it is well blended. Well, this is too wonderful for words, there is no creaminess or excuses in this fume, there is only the aroma of a piece of olfactory magic which envelops the whole body and moves as one with you. This is strong and heavy, exotic and seductive and I admit that I have to be in the mood for it, but I would never be without this little gem in my collection.
When I wear DN I feel incredibly sexy and powerful. The aroma follows me and its a silage monster, but that's what I love about it, sometimes one has to wear a frag to make a statement and this one says, powerful, in control, expensive and classy all at the same time.

AveParfum
AveParfum

I have not been having success with Serge Lutens lately, but I would say that Datura Noir is one of my favorites from this house. That's a tremendous compliment considering I steer clear from anything with coconut in it, as coconut is a note for which I have very low tolerance.

The florals in Datura Noir are really outstanding, and the perfume is freshly sweet, not gourmand, and not cloying. I think I smell the honeyed scent of osmanthus flowers the most, which is just the right contrast for balancing out the bit of coconut. It smells a bit like Jordan almonds too, with the candy shell. While I do smell coconut, this perfume is not tropical or beachy IMO. It's surprisingly elegant. Beautiful and highly recommended. My second favorite after Louve.

UPDATE: I bought a bottle--big mistake. The coconut was overwhelming, not like from the sample vial. I promptly sold it.

judyk
judyk

I realised my personal notes (aide-mémoire) basically said it all:

sweet floral (only faintly tuberose), fresh coconut, powdery/creamy, vanilla, woods - not overtly "tropical"

That plus "Please sir, I want some more!" (having only a second-hand 1/2 ml)

Tovah
Tovah

I have a huge Datura bush in the backyard of my house in Southern California, and this fragrance captures the strong, balmy scent of its moon-garden flowers. I don't get "coconut" from this, but perhaps this is because I associate this perfume so closely with the actual flowers, as well as the flowers of night-blooming Brugmansia. California summer evenings carry in the air the fragrance of these highly toxic honeyed-almond-heliotrope bouquets, irresistible to swarms of pollinating moths.

antfarm
antfarm

I find this fragrance incredibly disturbing in a Fitzcarraldo movie/decaying jungle kind of way. I almost like the scent because it's just so strange, but I don't think I'd want to wear it. I don't find it to be tropical at all, and I don't get any coconut or tanning lotion smells from it. When I sampled it, I got the olfactory impression of poisonous milk turned to wax dripping over rotting foliage. It's pretty close to how I'd imagine real datura trees smelling--like some kind of gorgeous, drooping alien flower that is both alive and dead at the same time.

tubereuse
tubereuse

Datura Noir is creamy, elegant and complex in its layers. This is a favorite, forever. In the same smell family as Hypnotic Poison (another love).

soonflower
soonflower

Datura Noir smells like marzipan with a coconut touch on my skin.
The dry down is amazing, less sweet, more woody, warm and aromatic.

It's simply beautiful.
The smell doesn't come close to real daturaplants flowers (on my skin) but it's magical.

Kamet1973
Kamet1973

This is a very sexy scent. It's the smell of warm coconut suntan oil and fragrant tropical blossoms. It also lasts and projects well. Usually I can't cope with tuberose at all. Fracas and carnal flower both give me a sinus headache. This seems buttery and lacks the same headiness. It has a lower tone altogether, soft and sensual.

lakuota
lakuota

I would describe the nature of this perfume as ephemeric sweet. It starts with sharp sweet tuberose note. I'm not a very big fan of it, but after an hour I must say i'm content, because tuberose turns buttery and steps back a bit. Now on the stage there is a trio of coconut, heliotrope and almonds - heavenly composition, one of my favourites. So I'm lingering in this sweet cloud, when after an hour tuberose comes back and brings sharper and flowery character back. Drydown is exquisite and sophisticated - light sweetness gives you such a cozy feeling, but wait... I'm experiencing deja vu, what is it? And soon I have the answer - Hypnotic Poison.

I prefer character of HP rather than DL, thougt I can't argue that the latter perfume is a real artwork. I wish it had less tuberose and softer opening. To sum up, it's a very feminine scent, that makes me feel nostalgic and mature.

Osrockoo
Osrockoo

im nuts for coconuts so i have to try this one, its hard to try all the lutens perfumes in one visit without making the perfume clerk secretly think" ok are you gonna buy one or try every bottle and spend the hole day here" =)

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

This is a really exotic "tropical oriental" as it has been described by others. It gives the sense of a humid evening in the tropics, dripping with sensual smells, and then a dark, dangerous exotic flower enters the picture and the darkness of that floral scent envelops everything in its path.

Datura Noir is a sillage monster- it will eliminate anything in its path. I love the idea of it and like the way it smells on my skin, but unfortunately it smells just like some kind of consumer bath or home product, so I could never wear it outside the house. Rats!

Later the next day..... I had to edit my review since I realized what the consumer home product scent was- it's my Glad scented garbage bags. No!!! Curses on you, makers of Glad products- you should be smushed in a trash compactor!

I really wish all the consumer products companies would stop dumping scent into everyday products. They are ruining perfumes for me when an otherwise lovely fragrance reminds me of a lowly consumer home product.

I do love this scent, though, and I will enjoy using up my decant.

Datura Noir is such an intriguing fragrance. I could smell it for hours; not so much for the love of it, but more so for the uniqueness of the composition.

I was really surprised to discover that Datura Noir was a tuberose based scent. The tuberose smells different here, not so floral and buttery. It's almost a gourmand, especially in regards to the thick vanilla and nutty almond accords.

I can see why so many people love Datura Noir, but at the same time, I understand how many could detest it as well. It's a difficult scent to wear. On my skin it is rather heavy, even a little bit cloying.

The opening is a creamy and sweet blend of tuberose, coconut, apricot and lemon. Initially it struck me as a summery, tropical scent, not unlike Estee Lauder's Bronze Goddess. However, the more the scent settles, the heavier it in turn becomes.

Once the vanilla, tonka bean and almond accords kick in, Datura Noir smells more like a Winter gourmand. Rich, intense and delicious. Most interesting to my nose was its lack of sweetness. It was foody without being sugary. At times Datura Noir can also have a somewhat metallic edge. Some other reviewers have noted a rubber balloon accord also. These contradictory smells are not off-putting in any way, in fact they tend to add to Datura Noir's alien-like complexity.

I have a lot of respect and appreciation for Christopher Sheldrake as the perfumer. He's put a lot of effort into this odd, yet strangely alluring, complex masterpiece. I highly recommend.

hellkat
hellkat

I need to try this again, as I remember that I "kind of liked it", but I was so entirely smitten with Chergui at the time, I was not paying enough attention to "Datura Noir" or "Clair de Musc".

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

So, I know that there isn't apparently any datura in this, but what magic they have made here, for datura is all I can think of when I first smell this.
This is a pristine white flower, that's heady and deadly yet beautiful. Such a full-bodied floral scent.
The notes that stand out to me are the tuberose, osmanthus and myrrh. This has that bold white floral character, with the smoothness of osmanthus and the myrrh just provides this wonderful mysterious haze. It's very thick, yet really quite an elegant scent I feel. Somewhere in the middle it does begin to straddle the line between creamy and face cream, which prevents it from being a total wow for me, but it may be just how it wears on me. I think if you don't like white florals this is one to try. Staying power & projection both great.

smelling_gr8
smelling_gr8

OMG! I would have never ever thought it was possible to fall in love with the fragrance but this is love at first site for me. I feel like the heavens have opened and some godlike creature has descended on me and is protecting me with its halo. WOW!
What an absolutely stunning scent, it renders me speechless, it makes me ecstatically happy but at the same time I want to cry...yep, this is the effect it has one me....
I can definitely detect milky almonds, almost marzipany, creamy coconut and white flowers. I take a deep breath of this beauty and I want to pass out from happiness.
Don't think it would work on a hot sticky day as it could be possibly too heavy but for a day like this..gray, windy and tipping down...well for a day like that it's perfect.

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

I love this. As Cams said, the notes were beautifully portrayed in this exquisite perfume. I didn't get a full bottle straight away because of the thoroughly mixed reviews here, but I'm so thankful I got a sample first. I'm happy I gave it a chance. I would have missed out big time on this beautiful, milky, creamy, coconut-y, white floral perfume. Like the rest of SL's scents, this was thoroughly thought out and crafted with love. Even though I'm not enamoured with all his scents, I can still appreciate fine workmanship. This same quality of craftsmanship is obvious in this lovely lovely perfume, which definitely warrants a full bottle for me. I can understand why other people have written negative things about it as it's not exciting or different. But to me it's special and although it shares similar notes with other perfumes, it's unique in its way. I do recommend it.

Cams
Cams

Very beautiful fragrance! I get a delicate and smooth effect on the skin with the stunning coconut almond white floral mix. The notes are so accurately portrayed on my skin and I love the cozy feeling as the fragrance develops. An absolute favourite.

OlfactoryOverload
OlfactoryOverload

I used to own this one. It's way too sweet and an overpowering white floral. Though, I must admit that white florals are not my favorites.

Not very long lasting at all on my skin. The fleeting lasting power doesn't justify the high price tag on this one.

I ended up swapping my bottle and I wouldn't repurchase.

dkny27
dkny27

At first spray, it is intensely overpowering in a powdery floral cloud. Almost as if you are shopping between the florist and a bakery making soft warm coconut almond sugar cookies.
Then, as several Fragranticans have mentioned, it takes time.... And over time it develops into a smooth rich coconut surrounded by white flowers and somehow, through the notes I "get" the myrrh. The myrrh kisses the fragrance with sensuousity.
For me, I can see this in cooler late summer evenings, when a warm sweatshirt is required.

darkhorse
darkhorse

Datura Noir grows on me, I am happy to confess..!
The longer I wear it, the better it gets.
Odd but very beautiful.

merkurij
merkurij

i just love it

fanny
fanny

This strong flower scent transfers me to The Past.
It makes me wonder about the smells I would have known, had I lived a hundred or a hundred and fifty years ago (a good period: the beginning of photography, Flaubert, Tchechov and Proust alive): kitchen scents (madeleine), wardrobe scents, candy scents, heavy drapes, polished staircases, wooden boxes filled with correspondence, ladies who will not go out into the sun without a little parasol..
Also it reminds me of something from my own past, but I cannot pinpoint it.

Is it perfume? Not in the beginning..
Is it interesting? Very much so.
After half an hour it becomes more silky (musk?), but it is still heavy. After two hours it becomes a bit sparkling (lemon blossom?) and light even.
After four hours Datura Noir has become a darkhaired beauty with very pale skin who has kept everyone waiting - but not in vain.

semj
semj

Sherapop I am a lover of both Mahora AND Datura Noir. I do find SL easier to wear. I feel the tuberose in Mahora and Fracas is a very true tuberose, whilst the SL is more coverd by the coconut which on me settles down quickly to almond base. Fracas pinches the olfacory bulbs and challenges whilst Mahora is more a gentle creamy slap in the face. I find that SL frags give off small wafts of fragrance that are slightly diffrent every time (I thinkit depends on my temp) and the other two are more linear on my skin. I always wear my frags over my heart,not on my wrist.

Tuberose is tricky. In Serge Lutens DATURA NOIR, it is very, very thick, in large part, I believe, due to the marked coconut note. Coconut is also tricky, and tends to overwhelm in more than minuscule doses. To my nose, this combination of tuberose and coconut is simply too heavy-handed. I love the tuberose in FRACAS and CARNAL FLOWER, but combined with the coconut cream in this composition, it seems dense and impenetrable, like a blob of, well, yes, I hate to admit it: suntan lotion!

My objection to this scent is not grounded in a general abhorrence of tropical tuberose compositions. Believe it or not, I number among the tiny faction of true believers in and fervent devotees of Guerlain MAHORA. Why do I regard MAHORA as a masterpiece (Guerlain's final chef-d'oeuvre, may that once illustrious house rest in peace...) and DATURA NOIR as something of a flop? Perhaps it is the sheer weight of the later which drags it down, preventing any significant development on my skin. MAHORA, in contrast, unfurls in delightful layers over the course of its trajectory from opening to drydown. I truly love MAHORA (which many people detest), and yet I would never wear DATURA NOIR, even if I had a bottle lying around.

I have seen no comparisons by anyone of DATURA NOIR to MAHORA but would be very interested to know what those who adore DATURA NOIR think of the Guerlain perfume (launched in 2000, one year before SL DN...). My suspicion is that anyone who loves DATURA NOIR would also love MAHORA, though I obviously serve as a refutation of the converse claim! (-: And it seems pretty clear to me that anyone who hates MAHORA is unlikely to think highly of DATURA NOIR.

The moral of this story: no one who lacks infinite liquid assets should buy niche perfume scent unsniffed!

cryptic
cryptic

thatbrownelf gives a perfect description of Datura Noir. It is a weird but wonderful fragrance that reminds me of Indian saris for some reason, with their kaleidoscope of vivid color and pattern, sparkling with metallic embroidery. DN is a peacock of a fragrance compared to some of my more conservative fumes, and I wear it when I'm in an extroverted mood. I look at it as the wild child of the Lutens line.

It might just be the suggestive power of the name, but DN does have a narcotic quality about it to me. It is as voluptuous as a vintage perfume, yet young and modern. Great sillage and longevity. One word of caution: DN really blooms on warm skin, so be careful how much you squirt/dab. First time I wore it, I spritzed, barely smelled anything, and spritzed again. Thirty minutes later I was in a bionic sillage cloud, so err on the side of caution when you apply.

thatbrownelf
thatbrownelf

A previous reviewer called Datura Noir a tropical oriental, and I firmly believe that description's spot-on. Juicy coconut and heady tuberose combine in a thick, luscious harmony that never veers into the suntan lotion smell that coconut tends to create. Almond and tonka prop up the fragrance, adding just enough sweetness to add a bit of lightness without it Datura Noir going gourmand. Despite all these heavy notes Datura Noir never goes headache-inducing, which I suspect is coming from the lemon flower in just the right proportions giving a bit of freshness to an otherwise heady perfume.

Datura Noir would be the perfect spring/summer oriental for those who normally love heavy hitters but don't want to bowl people over with their perfume when the weather is hot and humid.

mlb222
mlb222

Reading previous reviews, I was very excited about this perfume as I love a nice gourmand, especially with the notes that have been described here.
Unfortunately, all I got was tuberose. And I despise tuberose. Perhaps there were a couple other notes peaking out here and there, but they were all overwhelmed by the tuberose.
I actually had to scrub it off my wrist with Dawn soap.

LLan
LLan

Powerful personality of a perfume.

girasolina
girasolina

Sì, è originale e ben fatto, come quasi tutti i Lutens. Ma a me continua a dare di bianco, di saponoso, si gourmand. Non comprendo il noir dove sia...forse un mio errore...comunque ottimo sillage; ma, non è il mio tipo!!

megank4
megank4

I love this scent. It is my favorite of the SL, and if I have to pick, my signature scent. It smells sweet and spicy and original.

Ártemis
Ártemis

I cannot describe my first impression when I got to know Serge Lutens fragrances. I was completely hypnotized! It was like I would be suddenly transported to another world. I decided I would not leave the store without buying at least one. I would preferably buy some or all at once, but the prices brought me back to reality and I had to choose one to start with… now I know many of SL perfumes, and Datura Noir is still one of my favorites. It starts absolutely beautiful, with sweet flowers, and then comes the coconut and almond, it remains sweet all the time, and after couple of hours it becomes a very nice enchanting white flower. The staying power is very good, and even after washing my hair in the next morning I still could identify one gentle, beautiful flower caressing my neck. Simply fantastic!

treenhe
treenhe

initially i just got coconut, but as others have said before me, a 'tanning lotion' kind of coconut. pleasant but not outstanding. now i am just left with almond (after only 30 mins) and a 'in my lipstick almond oil' kind of almond. ultimately it just smells like a almond/cocoa body butter on me and as 'nice' as that is, it's not nice enough.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

Absolutely gorgeous, frivolous tropical composition which conjures up images of rubbing coconut sun oil on hot skin under the shade of a beautiful flowering plant (Datura!). I really like this one and would buy it tomorrow if I could afford it!!

LaPetite
LaPetite

It's quite "almondish" , but not too much, which is a good thing . It smells VERY like Yves Rocher's "Monoï" , it's still too expensive even it smells very good .

Kchild
Kchild

Datura Noir~the princess of the tropical gourmand. She starts w/a lot of white flower authority and then begins to become quite undisciplined in her actions.

When you meet her you are dazzled by the osmanthus and tuberose that come out to greet you. Stunning. Heady. Intoxicating. After getting to know each other a bit you start to notice that she has a touch of vanille running down her chin. And then......wait a minute.....is that almond on her lip? Indeed it is. She also has a thimble full of myrrhe in her hair. Everytime she moves something unexpected releases into the air.

No she's not the queen~she doesn't have the tenacity. After you've discovered all of her secrets she gets a little tired and takes off for a nap.

What you're left w/is the soft combination of gourmand myrrhe w/a hint of white flowers in the background. Exotic white flowers teasing as they peak out from behind the veil of vanille amande.

Datura Noir is an intimate knock out and one that I always set aside for summer.She needs to eminate off of bare skin rather than a thick sweater.She's much too sexy to be kept under wraps.

greydove
greydove

At first a well-behaved, romantic white floral, then turned into Tide detergent, or drug store body wash on my skin.

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

My favourite Serge Lutens scent, and the only one that seems to suit me! On me, the initial sweet note comes from the vanilla, then there's the enduring osmanthus, datura and rose notes which really shine, hitting the right balance of sultriness and elegance. Sillage is good but not overpowering, and the overall effect and is a lovely complex scent that can't quite be defined.

misswithoutlogic
misswithoutlogic

I love orental vanilla, gourmand fragrances and everything what has vanilla inside.
But i didn't find any vanilla in Datura Noir. And i think it's unnecessary in this beautiful floral composition.
The uniqueness of this perfume is purfectly balanced tuberose, heliotrope and osmanthus.
My first impresion was : oh, it's only flowers, but later i felt woody notes with strange sweetness. Thanks Fragrantica for a help, cos now i know that was myyrh. Very interesting and good choice, cos it gives warm and intimate scient.
I am pleasantly surprised very very good sillage and longevity ( 6-8 h.) of Datura Noir.
One more beautiful work by Serge Lutens. Garden of dreams on your skin. It's enough fwe drops and you will hear compliments how deliciuos you smell all day.

arianperfume
arianperfume

And I finally have it, again. This is truly wonderful: lush yellow flowers,blooming on a great hot summer night, intoxicating the air around them.
Sillage and lasting power are huge of course:) and I love it.

myolderbrother
myolderbrother

I really want to adore this because I'm enchanted with the datura flower lore. This is kind of all over the place though. It is a sweet candy-like almond with lots of apricot and dark vanilla with too sweet coconut emerging from time to time. This doesn't dry down the way fragrances typically do and that aspect combined with the super sweet notes make it seem overpriced at $120. From time to time it turns really pretty and soft and intoxicating, especially when the tuberose emerges and meets with the vanilla. Unfortunately, the awesomeness isn't consistent. I'm quite confused with this scent and seem to have a love/dislike affair with it.

lucifera

back then i thought iiew! and got rid of my sample.. now that i took some more sniffs and got used to it
i love and i have to say that i like it even more then hypnotic poison! i like unusual vanilla's and hp seems to be a little mainstream to me..
*sigh* i guess lavanilla wasn't really my vanilla holy grail ;p still love it though but datura is one that i just (again) got to have

celina
celina

I have two words for this: Hypnotic Poison.

If I didn’t have Hypnotic Poison by Dior, I would have been en extase. Obviously I am one of those that like HP.

Basically, if you love the tuberose- coconut- almond- vanilla combination in HP , you are going to be in love with Datura Noir. It has the same notes but more mature and rounded. If HP is stronger and heady, this one is more relaxed.

Surprisingly the myrrh is not a bad choice (instead of sandalwood In HP). It helps the tonka bean note to be more glorious and less ordinary (especially of you are bored of the common vanilla tone).

The dry down is softer coconut- tonka –almond with a musk touch and stays close to the skin. More of a linear evolution thou, precisely same notes from the beginning to the end. I still can feel the tuberose lingering… contrasting to HP that has a more pronounce vanillic dry down.

Original or not, still deliciously beautiful.

8.5/10

I can see the same coconut -vanilla reminiscence in Crystal Noir … but a different quality.

njdeb
njdeb

Penetratingly sweet white flower scent at first spray, like a power blast of tuberose and ylang ylang. Mercifully, this becomes softer and more subdued as it develops. At drydown, Datura Noir actually morphs into a fairly gentle fragrance.

I definitely pick up on the coconut and almond, which nicely balance the florals. Still, with the white flowers plus the candy-like almond aroma,this almost crosses the border into cloying for me. I'm a fan of white florals, but this is a bit to sweet for my taste.

I could see this being magical for some, though.

belissena
belissena

I'm so sad...I was nearly obsessed with this one, I cannot wait to try it! it happened this morning: well, on my skin there was only tuberose,loud and old fashioned. coconut? almond? heliotrope? where are they?? sweet tuberose on me, like the original poison but less cloying and sweet.

lucifera

well to me it smelled like hot toffee :(
quite gourmant...too bad MY chemestry cant lift up the other notes!

mypersonalharmonics
mypersonalharmonics

Imaginary datura(?), tuberose glory.
It was the tuberose that actually took over the composition on my wrist.
Impressive, femminine, expensive. Not sure if it is its high price that makes it so "hard-to-get"-desirable. Not so sure. But then again who am I to judge Lutens...
If I had such an amount of euros to spend on perfume I would probably get it. What can I say. Desirable.

guest_efikillkiss
guest_efikillkiss

On me smells clearly almond and myrrh. Sometimes i get something like lavender, but i suppose it depends on the day. I must say that i expected more from a Serges Lutens perfume. It didn't suit me. Sometimes is nauseating. I think it's elements don't combine well with each other. I felt like i chose the wrong Lutens perfume for me. Staying power is good, you should use it with caution. 10/10/09

ferrari
ferrari

Yes, it's realy eatable scent. Coconut biscuit with sweet almond filling. Realy nice, gourmand scent. But for me it's to much eatable for wearing.

F_A
F_A

Datura noir is a truly gourmand fragrance which opens with a sweet edible smell of coconuts and almonds. Later I can smell the note of jasmine even though it is not in the pyramid of notes. And then the surprise! After like 10 minutes it smells exactly like Versace crystal noir on my skin. Very strange.

The staying power is very good.

pimentosugars
pimentosugars

Datura plants are amazing things, they always remind me of twisted lilies, flowers half melted in some arcane experiments, and I love their back story in myth and legend...so I had to try Datura Noir.

The top notes confused me completely, the notes seemed very disparate from each other for the first ten seconds or so, I couldn't pull out a theme at all.

It settled very quickly, and on my skin became a thin and rather elegant jasmine, with a barely detectable tuberose/lemon flower undertone. Hard to pin down. A strange thing about this perfume, on my skin it closes in the heat, subdued on my wrist. Then outside in the cold air, a gust of air would suddenly blow my way and I would catch a breath of flowers on the wind, subtle but memorable. Lovely, but for now I am not besotted. I will try again in the spring.

Nuppu
Nuppu

Wonderful daturaplants are one of my favourites in a garden, huge highly fragrant trumpet shaped flowers that will pour their strong aroma at nights. So this one was must to test. And Datura noir do smell little like real daturas, but not exactly. There's definetly some coconut and tuberose precense.

This is truly exotic scent. This one gives me instantly deja-vu of some tropical paradise at night, big leaves glossing after furious rain, crickets and frogs having their loud play and strong, heady mixed flower scent pouring over in velvety night. The moment you want to capture forever in your mind and cherish when everyday life seems little too busy.

PerfumeEmpress
PerfumeEmpress

Serge Lutens is one of my absolute favorites. I have Ambre Sultan, Louve, and Datura Noir. Love all of them. So unique. I'd buy them all if it wasn't that they are so expensive. Guess their worth the price, especially if you don't want to smell like everyone else. Datura Noir is a lovely gourmand, though in a grown up way. No candy floss here. You just can't stop smelling yourself.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Serge Lutens Datura Noir fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Serge Lutens Datura Noir, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Datura Noir by Serge Lutens. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Datura Noir by Serge Lutens represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.