Designers » R S » Floral « Groups

De Profundis Serge Lutens for women and men

De Profundis Serge Lutens for women and men
dislike

De Profundis Serge Lutens for women and men Pictures

De Profundis (De profundis clamavi - From the Depths I Cried) joined the exclusive line in 2011. Its composition is based on the chrysanthemum flower, with additional notes of violets, green and earthy notes. The fragrance is accompanied by the following words:

"When death steals into our midst, its breath flutters through the black crepe of mourning, nips at funeral wreaths and crucifixes, and ripples through the gladiola, chrysanthemums and dahlias.
If they end up in garlands in the Holy Land or the Galapagos Islands or on flower floats at the Annual Nice Carnival, so much the better!
What if the hearse were taking the deceased, surrounded by abundant flourish, to a final resting place in France, and leading altar boys, priest, undertaker, beadle and gravediggers to some sort of celebration where they could indulge gleefully in vice? Now that would be divine!

In French, the words beauty, war, religion, fear, life and death are all feminine, while challenge, combat, art, love, courage, suicide and vertigo remain within the realm of the masculine.
Clearly, Death is a Woman. Her absence imposes a strange state of widowhood. Yet beauty cannot reach fulfilment without crime.

The chrysanthemum is the sole pretext for writing these lines.
Turning gravesites held in perpetuity over to Life – a familiar of these haunts – the chrysanthemum invites Death to leave the cemetery and offer us its flower.
De profundis clamavi." The nose behind this fragrance is Christopher Sheldrake.

Violet Green Notes Soil tincture Plum Tree Chrysanthemum Incense

De Profundis Limited Edition

De Profundis Fragrance Reviews

Jean B Grenouille
Jean B Grenouille

For those that think that the inspiration behind De Profundis stems from Oscar Wilde or the biblical Psalm 130 - what do you think of the possibility it was, perhaps, also Charles Baudelaire's Fleurs du mal? For your reading pleasure:

Out of the Depths (De Profundis)

Sole Being I love, Your mercy I implore
Out of the bitter pit of my heart's night,
With leaden skyscapes on a dismal shore,
Peopled only by blasphemy and fright;
For six months frigid suns float overhead,
For six months more darkness and solitude.
No polar wastes are bleaker and more dead,
With never beast nor stream nor plant nor wood.
No horror in this world but is outdone
By the cold razor of this glacial sun
And this chaotic night's immensities.
I envy the most humble beast that ease
Which brings dull slumber to his brutish soul
So slowly does my skein of time unroll.

— Jacques LeClercq, Flowers of Evil (Mt Vernon, NY: Peter Pauper Press, 1958)

fsulka
fsulka

I want to write a bunch of hyperbole here because it is just that good. Instead I will sum it up with a single word: masterpiece

Xango
Xango

I don't normally get flowery in my reviews (seriously - biochemist in a former life here, I'm awful at simile, metaphor, and analyzing poetry), but De Profundis is almost, well, poetic in its expression and lifespan.

I put it on this morning and then again in the early afternoon and was stuck by how lovely the opening notes were: A blast of chrysanthemum, green notes, and soil, plus something almost spicy about the mix. I know chrysanthemums have some spice to them (verified by sniffing a mother's day bouquet with some mums in them), but on me, I detect...carnation?

After awhile, there's a plummy, powdery feeling to it, but the spicy chrysanthemum remains. I don't get incense from this, but it's lovely nevertheless and it's now my mission to get my hands on a bottle so this can become part of my fall/winter rotation.

As an aside, I'm wearing this in Arizona on a sunny, mild late spring day - it's a weird scent and out of place for this type of weather. This would have be excellent for the rain we had back in January and February, when it was brittle and cold.

K1
K1

De Profundis unleashes with extremely telluric green and fertile wet soil smell combined with violet and soprano voice of chrysanths. It's melancholic, mystical and bears an unnamed unease feeling that keeps me worrying about something and gives me feeling something messy, yet the main theme is full of energy. I believe De Profundis brings different emotions from culture to culture. While it is supposed to emerge sense of grief and sorrow, I assure you it promises of spring in Persian culture.

Next phase, the perfumes opens tender woodsy and incense-like and oriental spicy dimensions to keep acerbic violet and chrysanths piercing and penetrating but more than that it immediately charges indolic floral nuances to a great extent that make a big paradox with infra sound of violet. De Profundis has ephemeral life but great impact. It is abstract sound of undiscovered ordinary nature; emotional and impressive. The fragrance is so simple in smell but coheres complicated character. It's woody, indolic floral, soil-like, bitter, and muted with enormous ultrasonic shout. A murmured projection is sufficient, so as medium longevity.

Infini
Infini

@Shiva-woman.....Great review!! This frag isn't all that in my opinion and not really for men either. Nice concept but seriously there is dye in this frag. Huge turn off for me.

shiva-woman
shiva-woman

After several wearings and readings of the notes and this perfume, and because I'm a SL junkie, I finally took the plunge and purchased. The delay was in part because I did not get the "mood" that so many people discuss; this perfume seems to elicit "dark" and "mysterious" adjectives or even "melancholy." So discontinue reading soon, "Gentle Reader"(!) because my take on this is blasphemous. There are no Oscar Wilde allusions going through my mind while wearing this. IMHO it is super green, crunchy spring green, raw, fresh, just-cut chrysanthemum green, allied strangely with a powdery note. It reminds me of lilies but without the sweetness. I smell the earthiness of the scent as well, but this perfume is even the color of green--perhaps a malachite (not purple), and is light, airy, springy, not quite refreshing, but brisk morning. It's been raining here in California with just an occasional pinch of sun, and my sweet peas are taking off in my garden. This scent compels me to get outside, plant my carrots and lettuces before we "fry and die" here. It seems like a fitting "gardening kind" of scent--earth and "growies" (my husband's catch-all term for both weeds, edibles, and flowers). We've had brisk mornings, and a little breeze--that's the mood this perfume puts me in. I love incense scents, but alas, this perfume does not have that finish or trail on me. At the very, very bottom, the end note and with a deep sniff, I find a bit of the SL wood note--faint. To someone trying this perfume, first get a generous sample (because silage and longevity for me were not great). Then, put aside all preconceptions and just smell! That's what I did before and after my usual intense reading frenzy on Fragrantica. You may find that this perfume is "ethereal" (that was about as close as I could get to melancholy on this one). I'm off to dig in the dirt...

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

"The final mystery is one's self. When one has weighed the sun in balance, measured the steps of the moon and mapped out the Seven Heavens star by star, there still remains one's self. Who can calculate the orbit of one's own soul?"

- De Profundis by Oscar Wilde.

This fragrance contains the spirit of Oscar Wilde who wrote De Profundis while he was in prison for the "crime" of being gay. I live in his townhouse in New York which he bought during his years in Manhattan. Last Halloween my friends and I contacted his spirit in a séance. He came to us in the form of the scent of roses and earth soil. This fragrance was given to me as a gift by my friend in London Lucia who is also a fan of Oscar. This is a very melancholy scent of a cemetery, of graves in the moonlight, of Oscar's soul as it flies through the night air over London. He will never be forgotten and he is beloved as a great writer of the English canon. This scent is like a more tragic L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain. There is no top middle and base structure and the notes flip back and forth through your nose. I smell earthy soil, I smell incense, smoky incense, I smell fleeting floral scents of violet and chrysanthemum. It's a funereal scent, a Goth fragrance. If you like unusual earthy incense scents this is for you. It's a fragrance that sends shivers down my spine because it feels like Oscar is right next to me. Except he liked roses and this has violets. I think this is an amazing indie niche frag but it's quite strong and mysterious so it's one of those frags to wear only now and then. Definitely a Halloween frag (think Voleur de Rose). This is a winter and autumn fragrance. To my nose the green notes, the earth notes and the incense are the strongest. It smells like smoke and the grave, evokes a mist rising out of the dark of night in. Aromatic, strong, masculine, mysterious and lugubrious, like a ghost crying and sobbing in the night. I love it. I will wear this again next October 16 for Oscar's birthday when I will try to contact him once more. We love you Oscar.

lord montifer
lord montifer

I have received a sample as part of a sample box and this is stunning. Deep earthy dark and....violetty? I want this (but it isn't for sale here). Gorgeous...don't know what else to say.

giokaal
giokaal

A dear friend from paris had the kindness to send me a bottle of this magnificent creation!!!!!
A version that has two little 30ml bottles and a vaporisateur!!! Classy black bottle!!!! I had the chance to smell and instantly fall in love with this unique fume two years ago when I received the well known black envelope full of solid samples from the company of serge lutens!!! I waited and waited imagining how it would smell!!! And now it's hear!!!! I LOVE IT!!!! I could cry!!!!!!!! The scent is amazing the best thing I own, it's so precious and fragile like a fresh bouquet of wild flowers collected under the moonlight!!! I get the smell of night the smell of kindness nothing sad!!!! It is an absolute floral but the secret blend of some unknown to me base notes and the quality of ingredients makes it so unique unlike everything i know!!!!! Trust me iff you're lucky enough to find one you will be amazed of its greatness!!!!!! It's my first lutens and from now on I only hope to find a way to get some more!!!!!
Thanks

G.

maakur
maakur

I have to admit I was skeptical of this from the start (due to the ad copy and rapturous reviews tilting at the same effect) and initially underwhelmed by the dense floral/"clean" opening, which struck me as too much fabric softener and recalled various linen-themed Yankee Candle cloyers. The quality of ingredients was immediately evident, but deployed too thickly for my tastes. I got a noseful of pale, sterile chrysanthemum and would not have made any morbid associations if I'd sniffed it blind.

Well, it's still not my cup of tea but after several testings I can now detect the soft incense and wood in its drydown. These compliment the flowers very nicely, and I wish they surfaced sooner. It also seems to get slightly more powdery with time, although I smell little "green" and no soil.

Lyrically, it reminds me less of mortality and more of stillness and stasis, a place secluded, a wait overlong, stale air. Not a cemetery, but purgatory. Blank. An endless grey, peaceful but undesirable. Serious for sure.

With that demeanor and poor sillage, I'm unsure how or why I'd wear this. If to "a board meeting" as vonnnie suggests below, I fear the corporation's long-postponed bankruptcy is finally being voted up. Maybe there's a reporter or two present, but the creditors have known for months and suspected for years. Nobody's proud, and the complimentary refreshments are discarded, entirely untouched, at adjournment.

Finally (and running with the accounting theme), even if that's the desired effect I can't help but feel there are more economical means to accomplish it outside Lutens.

I really wanted to like this more.

lola_in_slacks
lola_in_slacks

this works surprisingly well layered with La Haie Fleurie!

vonnnie
vonnnie

This is a serious scent and decidedly, a Perfume. Earthy, green, chrysanthemum, incense, some violet (I smell more faint lilac or muguet). Stately. Deep. Serious. Penetrating. The top note is amazing. Not for the young. The opera, a state dinner, a solemn Eucharist, a board meeting. A quiet, second wedding. A funeral. A scent for cool or cold weather, rain, a foggy day. It is the smell of profound humility, rich and sacred.

lyciumchld

It is with some sadness that I must amend my review to include the following: DO NOT WEAR THIS IN THE SUMMER.

The soft, vegetal notes in this calm, serene, mystical beauty turn acrid when mixed with sweat, producing an incredibly strong scent reminiscent of body odor. Wear with abandon in cool weather, but if you're going to be sweating, best leave this one at home. Still at the top of my want list... just not for when I'm running halfway across campus. Oops...

smellagent
smellagent

I Don't usually give florid discriptions of frags but this one almost demands just that. I picture inxs singing They could never tear us apart while I am running my hand along a wet cold wrought iron fence of an old New Orleans cemetery. When I wear this it belongs to me no one else. Comforting even in its austerity.

lyciumchld

Sublime. Really, that's all I can say about this one. I had been looking for a contemplative incense, cool, calm, a bit forlorn, but safe, serene, and sacred. This is it. Beautifully done, with just enough earthy realism to keep it from flying away. The soil smells fresh, moist, and dark, with chrysanthemum and violet growing nearby. Green notes aren't too prominent, and incense takes center stage. It is a soft, ethereal blend, not acrid, dark, or churchy. I've got several Lutens fragrances on my must have list for eventual purchase in the bell jar, and this one is at the very top. Just lovely...

mystica
mystica

I believe this fragrance is about Victorian graveyards, situated just next to some historic church in Britain or Scotland. The weather is cloudy, rainy and cool. The gloom dominates everywhere. Everything is on a stand still and you wonder what are you doing in this scene as if stuck in time. That's sure a luxury you need to be able to afford...

lilalina
lilalina

This is so beautiful, it's captivating. It tells a whole story when you smell it. Cold air, flowers, could be early spring or winter with dead trees. The purple color of the liquid resembles the vibe it gives off, Mysterious.

Hedonista
Hedonista

I finally got a sample of this ethereal and magical scent. Now to try and find something different to say that all the other reviewers didn't. It's hard.
It is a soft, cold, cloudy day perfume. The nicest chrysanthemum fragrance I've tried. It does not smell like a funeral. It smells like the fall mums that you plant in your garden. You get the living green notes as well as the flowers. On me the violet is non-existent.
It isn't really sad. It's soft and quiet. Like standing outside in a garden on a gray fall day and thinking silently. Nothing moves or stirs. Everything just "is".
I'm afraid that if I keep smelling it I will come to need this for the dark half of the year. Most "spring" fragrances can be worn year round with little effort. Not de Profundis. It needs the cold and gray weather. It would clash with bright sunlight and warmth. Spring energy isn't what this is about.
If you are lucky enough to get this you will happily find that it is soft enough to wear to work without alerting the whole office or classroom. People will have to get closer to you to get a good whiff of it. They will probably ask you what it is. I don't think this would be a good blind buy. Get a sample first to see if you agree with it and it agrees with you.

dsty
dsty

My sample of De Profundis was tiny (that was expensive enough!), so I could only wear it two times. That's really not enough to figure it out, much less form a definitive opinion, so I think I'll need a bigger decant to make up my mind.
Maybe I'll get one in time for All Hallows Day, because I do buy the marketing on that account, as my first impressions confirm it. De Profundis is indeed reminiscent of cold soil with flowers or flower bulbs struggling to live in it. Those floral notes are subdued as a result; a bit soapy and not bright or very sweet at all. Impenetrable is the word that came to mind, although words other reviewers have used, like "introverted", "transparent" and "melancholy" also sound right. So it evokes those cold, gray seasons that are close to winter but not quite it, very early spring and late autumn.
Definitely well made and very special, but so subtle and hard to get to know I'm not sure how often I would actually wear this.

Basteth
Basteth

Oh my, this makes me cry. I just have a sample of it but I will now make it my mission to save up for a real bottle. This smells like I would imagine the sky would smell if it had a scent.

kateapple
kateapple

De profundis opens with one of the most beautiful soil tincture and green compositions I've ever smelt. Normally, a fragrance that smells like, well, dirt, is off-putting, but this smelled like so much more. It was like sitting in grass, with yellow dandelions all around you. If you pulled a dandelion out of the ground and smelled it - its flower, the dirt clinging to its roots, the greenery of the stem - that was how this smelled. This perfume is based around chrysanthemum, so I'm guessing that was the flower I was smelling. There's meant to be a lot of violet in this too, but I never got that. The cool, green vibe quickly turned into something very conflicting - it turned warm. It was if one of Sheldrake/Lutens' oriental spicy perfumes was seeping in, like Chergui or Five o'clock au Gingembre. I loved the initial coolness of this, but when it turned warm and almost spicy while still smelling green and earthen, it was bizarre and unlikable. It may have been the plum blossom, I'm not sure. I was hoping the incense note would come and save the day - really, I was hoping this perfume would be some earthen violet incense scent. (The bottle sure makes it look like it would be.) But fresh green flowers mixed with a warm and honeyed sweetness along the lines of Chergui was just not appealing to me. I'm sure if you're one of the people who gets a lot of violet and incense out of this, it's quite lovely. But on my skin, it didn't work out.

Calygow
Calygow

De Profundis, la camomille mortifère de Lutens.

Défraichie comme un cadavre elle prend des facettes de fleur fanée, trempant dans un vase d'eau croupie. Enrobée de notes vertes, terreuses et d'une pincée de poivre crissant, notre fleur adopte peu à peu le visage de la fleur cryptique par excellence, le chrysanthème.

Le parfum de la mort, pas vraiment, plutôt un floral vert un peu sale qui se la joue mauvais garçon...

Un nuage de poudre et un effet brume un peu humide termine le décor.

Cette violette hypothétique n'existe pas, excepté si on la résume à cette facette poudrée blafarde ou à la curieuse couleur ultraviolette du jus.

Un parfum à porter en demi-deuil.

Tenue moyenne, sillage moyen...

bd85
bd85

This has to be the most etheral and beautiful scent i've ever smelled. It felt like i had been transported, to a cemetery in the autumn time, as the dark skies lay ready to weep in sorrow, Just like those below surrounding the now departed. The first word that sums up this outstanding fragrance is melencholy.

If you like the darker side of life, the graves, the bleakness of death, and sorrow, this is just for you. Not sure what occasion you should wear this, possibly on a cold autumn day out walking, or at a funeral. Not something you should wear if your feeling low. It's a very dark, cold, and gothic scent.

Longetivity 8/10
Emotion: sadness, sorrow, silent
Worth the price: yes

leathermountain
leathermountain

Fruit soup, with green artificial colors, and some violet dust for garnish. I wish I got the soil, the melancholy, anything interesting at all.

pinktojen
pinktojen

It is a chilly rainy day, in early fall.
Sombre with the impending decent into winter.
The world is still green yet knows it will soon turn,
and regrets its follies of summer.
Perhaps too much sun or too little.

The lichen on blue rocks soften in wet chill,
blue green, gray blue
and a shadow figure ambles by
under black canopy that shields the rain but not the wetness
drowned out full idle warm hours

The crushed green underfoot drowns into muddy streams
think of their resilience next spring rain
For now, toe the trodden path
leave the last of the bright blades for the sickle of frost
perhaps this week or next.

orangetree
orangetree

I finally get to test this most intriguing perfume, thanks to Vanessa Dunlap for the kind sample :)

The top notes hit me with the smell of rain on fresh soil after a long day and then as the wind blows I get the wafts of the purple flowers. The soil note is very prominent and it mixes with the flowers notes to give a damp earthy smell, like fresh soil. Although the flowers are not easy to detect but it gives it that freshness to avoid it becoming to dreary and damp like.

I found it hard to get in the mood to wear this one, it is not an everyday scent for me, and I do agree of its melancholic vibe. This is a difficult scent to pull off. I dont know of anyone that could, but I imagine someone wearing black and is quite introverted wearing this as its not asking for attention yet there is something quite unsettling and mysterious about it.

After smelling this scent, I can't quite say I have ever smelt anything quite like it. Its definitely the scent of having had an experience albeit a melancholic and sad one rather than perfuming oneself to smell 'nice'.

Edit: In terms of saying this perfume is an experience- I mean that it gives the aroma of the surroundings of a melancholy environment. This is probably why most are saying it reminds them of a funeral or a graveyard.

zena.ineta
zena.ineta

I tried to mix De Profundis with Luten's "Daim Blonde" and must say - those two perfumes compliment each other very well!

StellaDiverFlynn
StellaDiverFlynn

De Profundis opens with photo-realistic chrysanthemums, green, slightly spicy and musty. To me, it doesn't smells like the white, small varieties for tea, but the lively, colourful, big ones in the gardens.

Violet gradually increases its volume, and dominates after about 1 hour. The clean, dewy, earthy aroma of soil tincture contrasts with the delicate, slightly powdery violet, rendering the scent a crystalline quality, which actually matches the transparent purple juice quite well. The incense is very discreet, only to complement the sweetness of violet. There is also a metallic clang of aldehyde, bringing in an intriguing dissonance, albeit barely discernable.

The violet eventually recedes into an abstract floral scent after about 4 hours, which, combined with the greenness of chrysanthemum, conjures up a vivid image of florist shop. The smooth woody base and a plum-like tartness also become more detectable afterwards, leaving an envelopping trail on the skin.

Despite the backstory and the cutural reference of chrysanthemum, De Profundis doesn't feel painfully melancholic to me, as the flowers in it feel alive to me. It's like the first blossoms of early spring, the fragile petals unfurling above the grey dead land of the past winter.

Although De Profundis feels ethereal and sits close to skin, it's not that fleeting and the longevity is around 10 hours on me. Putting personal experiences aside, I think De Profundis is a quite interesting fragrance of chrysanthemum and violet. It's a very beautiful fragrance with subtle dissonances, introspective but relatively wearable among Serge Lutens portofolio. I'd definitely recommend giving it a try.

Vanessa Dunlap
Vanessa Dunlap

De Profundis is one of those perfumes that, upon applying it, tempts me to take my arm and just sweep everything else off of my dresser (but I won't do that, it's just a fun image that popped into my head)! I must guard this sample, because it will be a while before I can bring one home (definitely worth the price). If this is supposed to make me think of somber reflection in a graveyard, then yes it does that. However, it has something in it that I find uplifting, too. I can't wait to visit. I will bring a few bottles of wine, some flowers, and various fun things to snack on, and find a shady place to sit near tombstones, so I can absorb the stillness, finality and coolness of the place. It makes me hope that some wandering spirits will sit by me, for wine and conversation (I'll bring extra glasses. I do this! Whenever I stay at a "haunted" hotel, I always leave a glass of wine out for the spirit-person), and will tell me a bit about their lives. If this is supposed to remind me of a graveyard, then I want this to always perfume the air in my tomb. I want opera music playing, and I want lots of funny sayings carved in Latin on the walls in the room where my coffin/urn will be. Sayings like: "I hear you knocking but you can't come in," etc. Wearing De Profundis actually lifts my spirits. It makes me want to be happy, to rejoice. I can't even describe how it smells, it is just other-worldly to me. It projects a soft aura, but doesn't slap me in the face.
This is a work of art, truly. I must give a nod to Miss Picky, whose review is most excellent.

karola12345
karola12345

This is the perfect smell of fall. I get mostly the chrysantemum notes and the smell of soil tincture - these notes make very melancholic feeling, great for fall foggy days.

ras.kel.5
ras.kel.5

This is a sad, melancholic, pensive perfume. It opens up with green, soapy, earthy notes which are later joined by chrysanthemums, like those you would find at a funeral or cemetery. Beautiful perfume, but its soapiness turns me off and it just makes me too sad.

flowers4me
flowers4me

Wild plum! I grew up in northern Wisconsin where spring is impatiently awaited as the snow melts. It comes in with a rush of wet greenery and budding flowers about the end of May when a thicket of wild plum near our house would burst into bloom. De Profundis delivers the aroma of wild plum blossoms and damp earth about an hour after application and I'm drowned in nostalgia. Marvelous!

megrim
megrim

Chilly, melancholic and wan. De Profundis is a stunning and unique creation, unlike anything I've ever come across before.

The opening is green, dewy and earthy. Like a shaded, wet garden on a frigid morning. One of the least 'floral' florals I can think of. De Profundis is not an extrovert, it's contemplative, lonely, dark, sad and oddly vunerable.

The heart settles into a cool violet incense accord that shimmers with a green, damp vibe.

De Profundis takes an odd turn as the hours go on, actually growing stronger, more stable and less quavering as the base notes start to sing. It bows out with a thrumming, cool incense with a dusty, green, floral chrysanthemum note overlaid. Beautifully blended, wonderfully odd, slightly mad.

De Profundis is certainly not for everyone - but for those who like their frags on the far side of quirky, or those looking for a truly unisex take on violets - look no further.

Longevity is on the lower side of moderate. Sillage is polite, but persistant, not a skin scent by any means, but not an 80's style nuclear assault either. Enjoy on cold, windy days with pale skin and flushed cheeks.

Pinnacos
Pinnacos

If this scent were a song, it would be Leontyne Price singing Samuel Barber's The Desire for Hermitage: If you've not heard it, you must look it up on YouTube. I've probably listened to it 100 times and feel as strong a connection to it as I do this frag, as eerily haunting as I find them both.

The Desire for Hermitage

"Ah! To be all alone in a little cell with nobody near me; beloved that pilgrimage before the last pilgrimage to death.

Singing the passing hours to cloudy Heaven;

Feeding upon dry bread and water from the cold spring.

That will be an end to evil when I am alone in a lovely little corner among tombs far from the houses of the great.

Ah! To be all alone in a little cell, to be alone, all alone:

Alone I came into the world; alone I shall go from it."

Bloodlust
Bloodlust

Deep, morbid scent. Reminiscent of October, dried leaves, damp soil, earthworms, bare trees, a full moon and a windchill factor 21 degrees.

The opening is very wet soil - quite realistic, mildly melancholic, really unique! I am a violet-fragrance lover, and this perfume does violet a bit differently. Throughout the heart, a green, crunchy violet is present, almost with a rice/osmanthus-esque note beside it. It's very peaceful, and lonely. There's nothing juicy, candy-like or full of vitality, like other violets I've experienced!

The sillage, as another has put it, is "polite", as with most violet fragrances. The overall impression is earthy, a little green, and one hell of an oddball. Very Lydia Deetz a la Beetlejuice. I love it for this reason! Everyone should experience this one! Maybe more to appreciate it's artistic aspects, not for every day use. (Unless you're a gravedigger).

aquisr1
aquisr1

This is a scent i love! Not sure why but this really appeals to me. I will be investing in a full bottle soon. I would wear this spring and summer. The incense is very subtle. I get more of a light floral. Non gender specific. I think if anyone smelled this without knowing anything about it, they would never say its like being at a funeral. I prefer scents that are very unique and have that little something special that makes them special. I was amazed at how long it stayed on my skin. at east 10+ hours.

Killercolours
Killercolours

De Profundis is a melancholic little creation, a transparent beauty with eyes of glass and wrists like sparrow legs, wrapped in frost bitten black chiffon. Soapy crisp bulbous plants blooming at the edge of the snow during late march. The soil is cold but there’s a faint whisper about the approaching crystal clear rebirth of what has died. Many books and poems could be written based on this scent and I would read every one of them, until then I’d say that it’s the pure essence of Edgar Allan Poes Evening Star.

I love dressing in De Profundis, she provides me with this little bubble of my own. With a semi-short wear time and high price this becomes an expensive love, but I’m thankful for my dark purple drops.

IlDottoreFaustus
IlDottoreFaustus

My first time sniffing this scent is with shocking for it doesn't depict any chrysanthemum I've known so far. It's a cold green-floral scent indeed, but still much warmer and sweeter than a fresh picked chrysanthemum, yet with a sweet powdryness donned by its violet note and musk.

A few weeks ago I came into two or three ume trees (or japanese apricot, not mistake with plum) with full blossom, I suddenly realised that De Profundis is more about ume blossom and why plum tree is listed here.

Anyway I love this scent with its shimmering shadows whether it convey a chrysanthemum or an ume, realism perfumes are sometimes out of my sight (as I love Iris de Nuit par Heeley despite of a low dose of orris things.) I wear it often since it was gifted to me as a Love present (with the name of Deads.)

Gigis
Gigis

I had high expectations for this one, and perhaps the anticipation ruined the experience. This was, in my opinion, a somewhat bland soapy floral. The chrysanthemum (I`m assuming, since I don`t actually know what they smell like) was marginally interesting in a peppery carnation sort of way but this was quite weak and a little generic. I pulled no incense from it at all. I only have a small dab sample, and maybe I`m not getting all there is here, but for what it is worth, there isn`t much to get excited about.

rod7elfo
rod7elfo

this is not a perfume, its a liquid sentiment.
a single drop to die for.

anna.dkr5
anna.dkr5

Where I live, they have pretty much every SL fragrance BUT this. What a shame; I might have to order a sample of it.

mysticaldeath
mysticaldeath

it would be interesting to see how reviews would read if they were tested blind, no ingredients, no brief, no info on said scent. this is definatly unique on paper, clean tart green soapy mums and incense. on skin however it dries down to linear soap quickly , missing the incense and complexity. sad.

janjanjan
janjanjan

Immediate reaction to this first spritz: "Whoah, I smell like a hundred year old woman." But then it calms down a bit into a nice earthy, contemplative scent - cool and a little soapy. If you've ever tried a CB I Hate Perfume dirt-floral (especially M4 Room with a View) you will recognize the concept. In fact, this is really a more wearable Room with a View (which kind of knocks you over the head with the soil notes up front, and has a soggy dry down). I enjoyed my sample.

xe
xe

If you are inclined to go on a long contemplative walk at a cemetery (excellent places for contemplative walks). This fragrance is ideal.

I was curious about how Wilde's essay would translate to fragrance. I wore it while rereading passages of it:"Where there is sorrow, there is holy ground"....

I have never had an experience like that before. It was nearly spiritual. If ever there was a fragrance that captured the soul of a work of art, this is it.

balefulregards
balefulregards

My 15 year old daughter: "I don't like that. It smells like bad incense."

It is a cool, isolating aroma. I don't get mums, but heavy incense. The smell of my grandmothers funeral.

Not a FB buy for me.

Yourfoxiness
Yourfoxiness

De Profundis is more of an experience, a mood than a traditional "perfume" to scent ones self, or to wear to attract the opposite sex. How to describe this. In terms of notes, scents...? I was treated to a rather puzzling, & brisk opening, that smelled to me like the Mums in the fall. Slightly astringent, strongly floral & green, along with the impression of cold air. The brisk scent of Fall Mums retreats, and in its wake, there is left a veil of violet, which I can surprisingly enjoy for the first time in a perfume. Here, it is used with tasteful restraint, to impart a sense of a "veil" over the entire composition. Indeed like a widows veil. A soft chiffon or silk textured deep haze is cast, but within lies a trail of smoke leading to the altar. The last, violet impression of smoke, the memory of it lingering in the church long vacated by all warm bodies, all but you. Alone with your thoughts, senses overcast by the veil of mourning. Incense, the last petals of the flowers from the service, forgotten on the floor. The stones now cold, the incense now but ash, the candles do not burn. Only your memories.

There are many reviews here I think I fall in line with. This perfume is deep & moody, violet & hazy. It evokes my memories of the church yards in fall, full of mums, cold air & the perfect, reflective loneliness that only the graveyard can offer.

This perfume is a poem for the nose. Simply. A melancholy, beautiful, deeply reflective poem in scent.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

I've read many different accounts of the notes this contains, so I'm just going to go by what my nose can smell.
On application De Profundis astonishes me by smelling just like a church yard. At my local church there is a pretty garden around the back filled with trees and flowers called the Peace Garden and this is exactly what being there smells like.
The opening is more floral than I would have expected, which here smells very much like hyacinth. It's slightly reminiscent of Bas de Soie momentarily. Then the smell of dirt comes in, it's ashy and grey, but still somehow pleasant, more like gravel I suppose. Saying dirt may not seem too appealing, but it's soft, the smell is really quite haunting and beautiful. From the description of it on Fragrantica, this could be the chrysanthemum, but I can't claim to know the smell myself.
I feel a hint of violet like a veil, something that keeps a very subtle floral feeling to this, but there's no sweetness or much powder. It's like they're sad and drooping and covered in dust. This gets a mild greenness to it the more it wears.
Wearing De Profundis was more like an experience. It's so melancholy. It's dusky, yet beautiful, very unisex. Quite cool and ethereal, but deep. It's like sitting inside on a rainy day and listening to the rain falling on the window pane. It's made me want to start saving up for a full bottle. This review is based on the wax sample, so I would try to smell it in liquid form before such an expensive purchase, but it's truly worth waiting for.

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

chrysanthemum, yes. Plum, yes. Violet, very little. SL's website mentions incense. I don't smell it. But what I do smell is whiffs of patchouli, just ever so lightly, on and off. It is a floral sweet smell that I find unisex. I'm a man who does not like dominant floral scents in fragrance, but this one I can wear. 8/10.

Svinet
Svinet

It took a while, I had to get back to my sample again and again but today it just grabbed my little heart and I feel in tears from the melancholy of this smell (and perhaps also cause I slept poorly.)

(sniff sniff)
I just can’t stop smelling my wrist.

This is a very sad perfume and oh so beautiful.
De Profundis is something to wear alone walking around any greyish town of choice in late autumn (or early spring if you cannot stand all the happy).
(sniff sniff)
It sort of sticks to you like a sad feeling or a cold one, a cold dead hand perhaps or like Sweden in February. It makes me think of old lonely ladies in hospitals.

I feel weirdly comforted and calm when smelling this. Any more of the funeral flowers here and I would get a headache but not in this one, there is no sourness and its such a round and well-balanced composition.
And such a fitting name!
Thank you so much for this S Lutens!

fanny
fanny

I like this very much..!

An innocent, fresh, soft and soapy scent, inviting to get up and awake, especially after a heavy night when staying out "till the early hours".
I get lovely plumtree and violet, the green notes are subtle.
Chysanthemum? Maybe..

Sillage could be a bit stronger, but De Profundis is absolutely adorable.
Thanks again Serge!

lacrima99
lacrima99

First up: a strong, bright chrysanthemum, very strongly reminiscent of Anais Anais (spot on, Cryptic), but slightly sweeter. Dies down quickly into lily, earth and woods and something else, sharp, formaldehydic and also stale, rotten. I suspect the lilies are responsible. I find it quite ... medicinal, soapy clean, sterile, but hiding something rotten at the core, like a freshly washed, powdered and dressed ulcer. Makes me think of the diseased living, not so much morgues. Well done and quite interesting.

drummagick
drummagick

Received a small decant today. I do get the chrysanthemum and soil notes, also incense, maybe a little violet. This is a very contemplative perfume. I can't imagine wearing this in the morning, afternoon, on a date, to a concert. I can see wearing it while on a walk through Highgate Cemetery in London in November maybe. With a church bell ringing the hour in the distance. We have no Victorian cemeteries here, but there is a lovely overgrown one from the early 1900s in a mining town in the mountains an hour from here. I will save this for a walk there, and imagine the church bell. :)

This really appeals to the hidden Goth in me, and if my middle daughter ever got her hands on this I'd never see it again.

This perfume is very, very lovely.

timeazsofia
timeazsofia

A really nature scent! Smells like spring coming, and after raining you just sniff the soil fantastic fragrance with violet beside you. In Hungary I smelled this fragrance almost every spring!

my2spritz
my2spritz

A potpourri of dried flower petals.

the quality...
the longevity...
the polite sillage...
words fail me
la petite mort

Ring the bell, I am done.

jeca
jeca

The bell bottle of De Profundis looks fantastic, but the smell is not what I've expected. The fragrance is of great quality and it's interesting, but it's not mine. I wished it would be cold fresh aromatic fragrance of chrysanthemum. I don't associate it with funerals, and I absolutely agree with cryptic, it has something from Anais Anais. It's too sweet, with a great portion of white lilies, which make it heavier. Lily is what this fragrance about, I smell a herbal hint of mums only in its top ;o))

For me, chrysanthemum is a flower of hope, a beauty when everything is already dead and gone. I absolutely love the smell of chrysanthemum and its merry colors and shapes. Flowers look sometimes very funny.

cryptic
cryptic

My review will stick out like a sore thumb from the rest, because my strange nose had a totally different impression of De Profundis. After spraying, the first thing that hit me was hyacinth and green notes. For a moment it was like smelling Anais Anais, but only for a moment. Then came the chrysanthemum, which I don't associate with funerals at all, so no depressing vibe for me. I also picked up violets, wet soil and incense as DP developed.

I guess if you put incense, mums and wet soil together it might add up to a funeral service for some, and that seems to be what Lutens and Sheldrake were aiming for, but not what I got at all. To me, De Profundis is mysterious and secretive like a little walled courtyard garden in the autumn, but at the same time, the hyacinth and green notes add something uplifting and hopeful. I love the duality of it, and I could sit sniffing my wrist for hours.

One word of caution: this gorgeous purple stuff is a dry cleaning nightmare. I spritzed it on my neck and put on my coat, only to discover later that the lining had gotten stained, so spray carefully.

VeronicaRoy

The problem with de Profundis is that it has absolutely NO sillage or staying power. After about 5 minutes the gorgeous scent has COMPLETELY DISAPPEARED. Absolutely nothing remains. Like death itself perhaps, but a bad joke considering the price of the product ! I also have Chergui which is still detectable after a couple of hours.

VeronicaRoy

This is wonderful, truly original, profound but with no sourness.

VeronicaRoy

Wonderful. I can't stop breathing it in. No sourness in it. True originality. An absolute favourite.

Kterhark
Kterhark

Now here is the problem with introducing your new launch with a poem about death: all of the reviews will ultimately reference (wait for it...) death.

But let's say you didn't read all that before trying your sample, what would come to mind?

This is a dark purple fragrance if ever I came across one. It's a confident, earthy floral that is meant for the evening, wearing moist and heavy with just enough sillage that it isn't a skin scent. I have another candied violet fragrance on my counter, Caron's n'aimez que moi, and I find this combination to be very classy and memorable.

I see the word 'introverted' used here, and I agree. This is a thinking person's scent. I don't believe it is cold so much as dewy, and the basenotes are soft and harmonious. FB worthy, indeed.

xabaras
xabaras

I just got a sample and I am smelling it on my wrists after spraying it 3 hours ago... it is so wonderful! So different, so terse, dark, elegant, dry, evocative... I can see why some people don't like it, there is no jasmine or rose in it. You can smell the flowers, but it is that beautiful smell of dry, fresh flowers you smell in flower shops, not the sickening sweetness you might get in some fragrances. The incense in De Profundis really adds up some charming, enticing notes. I feel mesmerised. It makes me think that whatever happens we'll never part from the ones we really love or from what we really are like... I love it, I want to get a bottle of it. It is not overpowering and I'd use it on any serious occasion when the desire to be different from the others pops up. Mesmerizing.

sablebombe

I received my bell jar today! Wow!!! A different kind of perfume. This is a kick up the olfactory senses - not a jasmine or rose bloom in sight - fantastic!

The very first thing I got was a smattering of the Chrysanth's - my memory waking up from the smell of these in my mum's garden when I was small...!!

Let's not beat about the bush here - Chrysanth's do not smell of anything pretty or even remotely floral .... I think they smell akin to a dandelion to be honest and to me they smell of gardening of getting your nails caked in earth! Now, she has been tempered with the use of the violet and not a sweet, sweet parma violet but the ones you grow in a pot indoors or in a shallow bed outside. But for me this works brilliantly as I am a fan of violets in all their incarnations - from sweetie to pot plant!

I get the plum wood and the earth as well - the plum wood especially in the mid-stage along with the now deeper smelling violet.

I have to be honest and say this perfume captivates me! It is so grounding, so down to earth, I've never smelt a perfume that has such an honesty! I don't get associations with tombs, or melancholy or depression or introvertedness!!! I did like Serge's tongue-in-cheek pop at the funeral officialdom in his description.

Maybe the reason that I do not associate this perfume with misery is because here in England we are rather more used to the Lilly as a funeral flower rather than the Chrysanth.....! The smell of the lilly being rather more pungent than the aforementioned! However, I could take lillies to someone's house when visiting in England but it appears that this is not so with the Chrysanth in Europe! “If invited to a French home for dinner, don¹t show up with a big chrysanthemum even though it is objectively a thoroughly attractive plant, it is too associated with cemeteries to be offered as a house gift!” (Monet clearly thought otherwise!)

When I worked in the church most of the Pompon Chrysanths were reserved for wedding displays or high mass displays and that goes for normal Chrysanths!

Now the interesting thing is (as sfonativeboy mentioned) the perfume 'ascends' into the basenotes - it brings a strength of character, it becomes stronger and wiser - maybe this is the crescendo of the funeral in Sheldrakes mind? Or maybe it is the prelude of the altar boys, priest, undertaker, beadle and gravediggers indulging gleefully in vice? Who knows - but strengthen it does! I don't know if it is my nose but I feel that I can also smell some powdery Iris (orris) notes in the background now - I wonder if anyone else gets that?

I think this may bring memories to people living in certain places - for me it merely reminds me of my mother's garden when I was a young girl.....! No morbid associations for me.

In conclusion, I would say this is definitely a 'cold' scent although it does suit a cold, melodramatic, drizzly day - I'm looking forward to trying this out in the summer!! It suits a black velvet hooded cape! It's unusual and off the beaten track which suits me! The violets, in my opinion, are very true to themselves! Silage is very good - my son smelt it and liked it very much - and thus far has lasted very, very well on my wrist!

A winner for me - but I'm not sure this is for everyone!

Mergirl
Mergirl

Smells like cool, white marble tombs adorned with flowers

@ sfonativeboy

The similar last perfume question was posted on sl's facebook page! The response is below!!

Serge Lutens Dear Aldo, Thank you for your comment. We assure you that De profundis is not Serge Lutens' last fragrance. There is more to come... Best regards.

sfonativeboy
sfonativeboy

I just got a sample in the mail today....
well.... this is definitively an unusual
fragrance....

I find this scent oddly familiar...
I smell.....

a..Funeral... quiet on a cold foggy day.
Abundant Tears, Grief and Despair.
SADNESS!!!! all be it persistent Sadness, like Rain.

I also smell.......

a Cemetery...wet green earthy accords
The pale lily-dahlia-chrysanthemum flowers
and
funeral wreaths left on the graves...

There is the opening of the pale chrysanthemums followed by the rest of the bouquet,
flowers that have a bit of spiciness that lingers on your skin
The fragrance rings hollow, like an echo or
a watermark.

There is something perceptible like incense
but I find it only detectable as a feeling of
calm and quiet,
it isn’t a dominant note at all...and yet it almost feels like it is a main player of the fragrance because of the serenity it emits.

Perhaps some unmentioned chamomile petals which reinforces that sensation of.. rest,calm and peacefulness as the perfume slowly...
"Ascends" or "Descends"
into the base notes....
Like last words before its gone...
you are drawn even closer...to catch
it whispers its last breaths silently of spices and woody warmth.

I'm brought to tears .........for it brings to mind
the cementery I visit with my mother every now and then .....
to leave flowers for my departed sister ...
she died 4 years ago...

It is a symbolic urn meant to be collected and preserved or a bouquet of chrysanthemums offered every 1st November when someone dear has recently passed away.

I read in some fragrance Blogs ...

"De Profundis" is NOT a perfume to be worn
and was never meant to be a "dark fragrance"
(smelling the perfume you"ll understand why it lacks all the qualities of a real perfume).

RUMOR has it ...
With De Profundis, Serge Lutens, now 70,
says "ADIEU"...to the world of perfumes
and unofficially signs his retirement.

"De Profundis is the last creation of Serge Lutens. "

Will there not be any new creation!!???????

I'm sure the world mourns...along with me
if this is true.
Thank you for opening the gates of "Fragrance Paradise" to us all

Miss Picky
Miss Picky

This has to be the most melancholic perfume I've ever tried. It smells like... a funeral. It smells like churches and tears and grief and endings, like cold stone buildings and distant, too-fussy flowers. It smells like depression. And yet, I LOOOOOVE IT! It's the beautiful, indulgent side of melancholy - a walking-alone-in-the-rain, douleur-exquise feeling.

It's not a perfume to share. It's not a perfume that others may appreciate on you (though it is quite beautiful). Wear it at your most introspective. Possibly avoid if you are, you know, _actually_ depressed - it won't help matters any. But if you just want to retreat into yourself for a little while, De Profundis will be your best companion.

alicerombi
alicerombi

I think that De prfundis is so special...I've just smelled It in the Palais Royal Boutique and It's so unusual, sure I would not wear It everyday but I think that sometimes is the perfect smell to wear, light but persistent, surely is a noticeable perfume!In fact, I wanted to buy It but they had finished It!

zuzka735
zuzka735

De Profundis was launched in 1992 ? I don´t think so...

Gorgeous, cold and introverted smell.