Designers » R S » Floral « Groups

herbal
bitter
cinnamon
Douce Amere Serge Lutens for women Pictures

The main component of Douce Amere is sweet-sourish pollen. Its wonderful companions are cinnamon, Tiare blossom, jasmine and lily, while warm vanilla softens all sharpness. This is a rare, elegant and unusual fragrance. The creator is Christopher Sheldrake and the perfume was launched in 2002.

Lily Cinnamon Vanilla Jasmine Tiare Flower Artemisia

Paname
Absinthe

Douce Amere Fragrance Reviews

tresj
tresj

Someone elsewhere said that Douce Amere felt like the elegant, sophisticated, un-sleazy version of Casmir, which I think is about right. Casmir (which I also love) is a nasty lady until two hours in, at least; Douce Amere gets there within ten minutes. The openings are totally different--Douce Amère is an unusual blend of anise, cedar, peppery cinnamon (all together it is bitter green stems, the fresh-cut dahlia smell), that shifts (so smoothly you can barely tell) into powdery floral cedar smoke and incense-inflected vanilla. The combination of creamy gourmand and floral sweetness strongly resembles the later moments of Casmir--the later, the more alike. But Douce Amère remains more crystalline from start to finish. I'm convinced that's the bitterness, which you don't really smell after the opening but which makes itself known in the unusual lightness and clarity of a scent that would otherwise be oozingly scrumptious. It sits somwehre between clean white floral, oriental, and gourmand in a way I can't untangle. At times these two are so similar that I thought I'd made a redundancy mistake the first time I tried it on--but really it's like comparing a perfect raw almond to a honey-crusted, salted, sugared, roasted one. Both are good, but only one is the Platonic ideal of an almond.

This is the only SL so far that doesn't turn on me, which I can wear and adore from start to finish. No matter how much put on it doesn't seem to project very far and I generally like that--though this is so good I almost wish it were louder. Longevity is okay--not as monstrous as most SL(why couldn't it have the lasting power of the ones that went putrid on me and gave me headaches?) or Casmir for that matter, but within the acceptable range for quality formulations. Unusually for me, and for Serge, I don't get any dirty notes on this at all.

Whenever I finally finish my big Casmir, I'll splurge and get a bell jar of this one. I have the 5ml mini flacon, dabbing only, and while that's wonderful, I'm terribly disappointed you can't get this in spray form anymore, even in France. The thought of how that smoky-fresh, bittersweet anise opening would open up, billowing forth from a vaporiser, is too beautiful.

jlfears
jlfears

They are very different, but the only thing that seems remotely in the same vein is (the drydown of) MAC MV1.

DOUCE AMERE, for me: In love... forbidden love, I think.

I can't get enough.

Notes: I actually smell all but the jasmine. My skin must not pull it here.

This is Heaven meets Hell in a bottle, and I must have some more.

Verdict: Spicy, woody, milky. Amazed.

Contessa01
Contessa01

This smells like allergies in a bottle! Honestly its a very well constructed fragrance but it smells like pollen, grass and maybe carnations? Heavy on the pollen though and made me sneeze!

blauriche
blauriche

I'm surprised about all the strong opinions on this one. On me it's a mild, slightly smoky cinnamon scent. Pleasant, but so far unremarkable. I think I may have liked the solid sample better than the actual perfume.
I think I can smell some of this other stuff at the opening, which is sort of a mess to me, but before too long it settles into that incredibly mild spicy wood scent.

puncturedbicycle
puncturedbicycle

A glass bowl of vanilla ice cream with a spoonful of pastis (and for a moment a drop of creme de menthe, which vanished almost as soon as it appeared) on a tray heavily sprinkled with baby powder. All that's left after five minutes is sweet powder. A sort of nursery smell.

auraoflaura
auraoflaura

I just received my pack of Serge Lutens solid samples in the mail, and this is the first I've tried.

Douce Amere opens very clean and herbal,reminds me of good Earl Grey, and just a hint of warmth and sweetness. After about ten minutes, the herbal note has mellowed considerably into a lovely vanilla with a touch of lily and spice. Since this is a solid sample, I don't want to guess on longevity and sillage when it's probably a bit different than liquid EDP, but my impression is that Douce Amere is a subtle, elegant frangrance, perfect for everyday wear.

Can't wait to try all of SL's other perfumes!

kikilove
kikilove

This is my first time sampling a Serge Lutens fragrance. Hmm—not impressed! I tried some on this morning, on my arms, neck and behind the ears. 30 minutes later, on the bus, I wondered why I smelled damp umbrellas when it hadn't rained in 24 hours. It couldn't be Douce, could it?

Once I got to the office I smelled my wrist and thought—yummy, yummy, yummy! Smells just like the Byredo Seven Veils I tried yesterday. Then I realized, oh, it is the Byredo Seven Veils I tried on yesterday, which is showing amazing longevity despite time, a shower and numerous hand washings. I couldn't smell a trace of anything else which was strange as I had doused my arms in half of my 1ml sample of Douce.

Now, home again, I've put some more on my arm and again I sniff. Uh oh—there's that wet umbrella smell again, mixed with vanilla and light spices. Every time I bend my head to sniff my arm for another smell, my nose wrinkles. I already live in a rainy city—I don't need a perfume that literally rubs my nose in the fact.

Note: Upon sniffing my arm again a couple of hours later, the damp umbrella smell is gone (perhaps just a "weird" phase as another member described), and there is a refined, subtle spiciness that has emerged. However, the overall experience has been too underwhelming for me to try again any time soon.

tymanski
tymanski

I too sort of overlooked this lil gem; tried it years ago and reminded me of five o'clock (which came later); a bit cloying & not my thing. But I recently 'blind bought' a used bottle for peanuts and voila! what a sophisticated, original and impressive frag. it does indeed manifest a duality of pastis & wormwood, sharp & soft. even has a chanel pour monsieur vibe for the first 30 min which is very interesting and pleasant, drying down to a soft vanilla musk. great juice!

Norgirl
Norgirl

ohh how lovely this juice is .
So refreshing different and luminous.
Lilys mixing With anis and slightly sweet Herbs. Tiare flowres lingering to make it a bit tropical in a way ;) I love it. But the downside of this one :(
It will not stick to my skin. only one hour it lingers on my skin . just to disapear
This to me did not smell very masculin on my skin.
This reminds me of the Hermes Un Jardin series refreshing and Nice but not that long lasting

I wanted to like this a lot more than I did. On my skin the woody cinammon and lily-heavy vanilla become cloying and sticky. First on, it's almost a vanlla and licorice scent, which I like, but is very strong and hard to take. It mellows as it dries, but comes out a fairly doughy vanilla pudding with licorice and cinnamon notes. Very sweet sticky gourmand with my chemistry. Try before buying for sure.

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

I believe it is the lily and the opening is different, dense medium floral, a semi white floral, bitter.
The drydown is spicy by the presence of cinnamon and sets the tone begins to appear nuances sweet, brings me anise to this mixture, along with a floral aspect, but I can not tell if it's the lily still there, brings me to mmortelle this mix, but without the crisp touch .
The base, vanilla is beautiful, comforting, which enhances the opinion of I have liked, but not given much importance to I really liked!

djuzz.becuzz
djuzz.becuzz

Just tried a SL's solid sample of this... opened with a skanky note to my nose... but within seconds I hardly smell anything...
Pass...

Mila Pulina
Mila Pulina

For me it's all about floral and vanilla - I like it; elegant and not overpowering; it is more underlining your personality ;)

Kchild
Kchild

I was a bit shocked after reading both the notes and reviews on this scent. It was almost like taking a drink of something you thought would be Sprite and it turned out to be Coke!

So~here's the Douce Amere that I experienced. Absinthe? Check. Vanilla? Check. Cinnamon? Check. Florals......? Florals......? Florals.....? Musk? Check....wait a minute. No musk listed.

Bittersweet, or Douce Amere on me is an exotic gourmand. She starts out with a beautiful musky, warm, rich, anise vanilla which is very potent and true for a couple of hours. Then the cinnamon comes into the composition drying it out a bit and bringing a lovely wood note forward. Douce Amere is all about the anise and on me it never transitions into a secondary note. It's a true oriental perfume with everything nuanced to interact with the star~the mysterious Absinthe.

I used to have a bottle and traded it. It was just too much for me. It's been about 3 years and I recently ran across a sample that someone had sent to me in a swap. Apparently my tastes....or chemistry have changed. I wouldn't repurchase a bottle, I would never go through the whole thing. But a decant? I may very well search one out......

Cereza
Cereza

I can clearly understand the love around this perfume, but this is a bit too floral for me, I expected more cinnamon, more spices, most of the stuff I get is heady tiare flower + some spices.
You should try this, this as every Luten's is perfectly made and very high quality, they just don't work on me most of the time.

phoebemoonpie
phoebemoonpie

On me, the bitter outweighs the sweet in Douce Amere. Bitter in a good way. Like, the sweetness that is in there is just a ruse to get you lulled into complacency so the sharpish and slightly acrid anise can poke you a little bit. Just a little … but it's not exactly a friendly poke, either.

I think it's a little contradictory, and I enjoy wearing it.

Kamicha
Kamicha

I've been on a fence with this fragrance for over a year - but I finally took a step and splurged on a bottle.

Douce Amere is all too floral and all too sweet for me for the first hour or so. Even at this phase it does not completely fail, the absinthe note gives a cool dissonant tone to the opening, the greenness and bitterness feels almost violent against the gentle backdrop. The pollen note is beautiful with the white flowers - well, after all I guess that it is the overwhelming sweetness that bothers me in the opening.

But it sneakily evolves to something more wearable, to a fresh, gently spicy vanillic oriental with still a distinct absinthe note. Lightly woody with beautiful cinnamon undertone, still sweet (but not overtly so) and caressing.

For me wearing this fragrance is bit like getting some sticky feeling goop to my fingers when baking - then ending up licking the fingers with a great satisfaction...

Jayne58
Jayne58

Hmmm normally I love Serge Lutens, but this smells like stale cookie dough on my skin. Weird. Perhaps I got a bad batch.

fanny
fanny

After a weird opening one gets rewarded with lovely vanilla, lily, jasmin and woods: a fluent stream of velvet, in a very light color: ivory.
My luck: I found a bottle on the net.
This is so special, so elegant, so bizarre: get it back on the market people!!!

fpih
fpih

This is a nice, woody scent that starts a little too sweet on my skin but after a while the sweetness seems not so overwhelming. It's elegant and comforting and feminine without trying too much. It's a perfume for every day and every season that won't ever offend anyone. At the same time, I find it a bit boring. Not too comfy for my tastes -I prefer stronger, 'rounder' scents like amber and vanilla (this is vanillic rather than vanilla to me) or cocoa for this role- not too fresh or spicy, just a bit of everything. Also, I don't get the absinthe as others do; I adore Fou d'absinthe by LAP and this is nothing like it.

I'd probably wear it once in a while if I somehow found myself a bottle of this, but I can't see myself stretching my budget's limits to get it. Lasting power though is great, 10 hours and counting.

cristina.rizzi
cristina.rizzi

Sensual, sexy yet innocent, warm and elegant.
In a word: feminine.

nonnative
nonnative

Have you a parfume you like to smell but not to wear? This is for me douce amere. Too dusty and dirty on my skin. It doesn't make me feel feminine and sexy. It doesn't protect me. It doesn't change me. And this is exactly what I ask a parfume: seduce me, protect me, change my mood. Anyway I understand it's a beautiful scent with a great idea: mixing bitter and sweet notes.

Amarylis
Amarylis

A fresh Oriental constructed on the absinthe scent. Absinthe gives the perfume its fresh top notes; anise sustains it throughout, and cinnamon melds with marigold, which lends a subtle candied note. With additional notes of jasmine, lily, vanilla, musk, and cedar.

eilismaireg
eilismaireg

A wonderful sensual scent which would work well either for summer evenings or winter. If you like Arabie but find it just too much, try Douce Amere. It has that definate 'Lutens' base of spice and is overlaid with a very Shalimar like oriental of vanilla with a light anise like freshness which keeps it bright and herbal, rather than really plush. I really like this, but will probably stick to Shalimar as the budget won't stretch to owning several slightly similar fragrances!

jadetrail51
jadetrail51

Oh this is nice and unlike anything else. I'm anticipating a new grandbaby, and this will be my new indulgence to wear around the baby. This to me is a comfort gourmand scent. Not unlike vanilla rice pudding with brown sugar and spices. This doesn't have to shout to be nice and noticed.

vdxl
vdxl

A very sensual( and now rare) interpretation of absinthe, in a very subtle manner. While it does not scream "Fee Verte", it is somehow similar to a vanilla white floral, but it gets some absinth-green aspects that remain throughout the entire stage of the perfume,
even in the drydown. It is an oriental perfume, and, for sure, unisex( officially by Serge Lutens ). Unfortunately, it will be added to the exclusive line. I mananged to buy one bottle at the printemps store in Paris for 79 Euros.

As an update: I do love it more in the spring or summer, because in the winter it is too cold-smelling. Also, I do detect a white-floral tiare/plumeria note out of this, which is fascinating.

suile
suile

I found this one very strange when I first tried it, but it grew on me and became one of my all time favourites. It's a unique fragrance in my experience.

mseidoom
mseidoom

Wow, I see the notes above. From the sample I got, it smelled nothing like that. It was coconutty and minty. I almost smelled marshmallow with a hint of licorice. After a while, it got powdery, but I could still smell a hint of coconut. It really dries down to a spicy vanilla without coconut/licorice.

floriana
floriana

Intoxicating and spellbounding on a first whiff, if you smells it from the bottle, seems compact, but after first spray, it scatters in the air, so you can enjoy in wonderfull mix of bitter - sweet harmony of natural vanilla and absinth. I sad harmony, because isn't too sweet, and isn't too bitter, / in opening something smells like bitter almond in combination with airy vanilla /.
Far from gourmand or loud scent. Like a
voile that slides around you, and you want to catch it,but you couldn't.
But after very short time becomes quiet and just settled down on your skin.

njdeb
njdeb

At first sniff, I do get the pollen-like effect mentioned in the description – a lightly sweet, somewhat powdery scent with a bit of a dry herbal quality. This floats atop the aroma of a blooming white flower (I pick up jasmine mostly). The white flower scent is definately present, yet somehow softened, almost as if it were bleached by the sun.

As the perfume dries down, it develops more of a gourmand character. The sunny floral /herbal smell remains, but is now dusted with flakes of creamy chocolate just starting to melt in the warm air. The cinnamon and anise are not easily detectable to me, but do lend a delicate spiciness to the mix.

This fragrance is so well blended that none of the notes take over, but rather combine to form something unique and lovely. Why is this being discontinued?

guest_milla
guest_milla

i ordered a little miniature bottle few days ago... cant wait to get it and at the same time hope it will be really smth special and "ME"! have never tried Lutens before and since i am living now in New Zealand it's impossible thing to do!!:(((( heeeey, NZ, maybe someone knows a good shop with rare fragrances??hard to believe it is soooo boring!!!!!!!!

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

Surprise! On opening the sample vial, the first thing I smelled was lots of sandalwood, not what I thought an absinthe-inspired fragrance should smell like. Within seconds, however, the anise came through loud and clear, like pure ouzo being drunk from a sandalwood cup. There’s something dry and herbal along with the wood and anise, presumably the artemesia that one would think should be a prominent note, and just a little hint of flowers. I like the fact that the cinnamon doesn’t overpower the anise, but instead blends perfectly with it. Wow! Once this develops it is unique and marvellous.

After a few hours it dries down into a mostly woody scent with notes of sandalwood and cedar, nice in its own right. Later, the vanilla becomes prominent, and for the last several hours it is a sweet and almost ambery skin scent. It’s a lovely sequence of very different perfumes, three for the price of one. Sillage is good, and the scent lasts all day in one form or another.

I read that Douce Amere being discontinued - why, oh why, when it’s one of the best SL creations?

Aalia
Aalia

The opening is vibrant. There is Absinthe listed on my card from Serge Lutens, not listed above in the notes. In the opening, the Absinthe comes through like licorice, a spicy anise, with a cutting dryness.

The Vanilla peeks out, but awaits in the background, letting the florals burst and bloom and play out. I cannot individually distinguish the floral notes, but they are a pungent bouquet.

The dry down comes too quickly for me, but it's such a beautiful mix of spirited Cinnamon, creamy, gourmand Vanilla, and very light Absinthe remains. The dry down has lasted for many hours now.

This is an artistic, lucious, luxurious, inspiring scent. One might use it daily to exeperience the best sensations in life at all times, or, use it only with the finest black velvet dress for special nights, to savour it slowly.

guest_A. Rose
guest_A. Rose

An exquisite blend of greens, marigold, anise and dusty cocoa; it opens on a teasing, citrus burst of lime and mint, with a slightly bitter anisette tartness that could only be the wormwood impression, delivered up with a knowing wink. It then deepens into a spicer, dry-reediness---like crunchy marigold greens dried from a summer's day---against fresher, sweeter, velvety, marigold tabs. Here, a hypnotic oud-like fume arises, giving the impression of deep woods trickled over with playful, syrupy intoxication; polished, green stones skimming across the surface--the anise freshness flickers and dances over a powdery-peppery-tart, slightly bitter marigold before being dusted-over with a deep, dark cocoa. Dense, plummy and figgy dried fruits pack against eachother in a vat of citrusy, bitter liquor. The cocoa warms a bit and liquifies into a cinnamony hot-cocoa drink, with a side of sugared dates and dried currants; it's late evening at a winter party and your wilted floral corsage pinned against whispering, black velvet gives-off hints of peppery-green floral oiliness. Clink glasses of wassail spiked with absinthe, you naughty revelers--and "Cheers" to a New Year!

amelie
amelie

Douce Amere is quite unique, in the beginning as if it is not clear in which direction to develop, whether bitter or sweet (or vice versa) after a while you are lost in magic.I was amazed, I had to have it. I did not know even if I wore it, is not oriental, not spicy or citrus, and neither woody nor chypre. I have not felt so strange smell,tiare flower can be discerned, cinnamon is interesting, but I had the impression that there must be something more not mentioned, a closely guarded secret, endless and somewhat fragile.
Attracting and repelling me, as I'm not sure do I like it or not. I love to wear it,though rarely,but then really enjoys. If there was a group of floral-spicy, it was a Douce Amere - totally different from anything I tried, so unusual...for ladies somewhere in Paris a hundred years ago, but the fragrance is just as inspiring today (only not dressed in jeans).Although the fragrance came out recently(2002.) it's intriguing as it has a long history. You can not say that it is sweet, because there is bitterness in it or some bitter sweetness. Perfume, which has an unusually beautiful scented trail close to the skin.And lasts for hours!

Robert White
Robert White

Says here it's got an Absinthe (read: anise) base, with cinnamon, tiare (what the hell is THAT?), jasmine, and lily. Hey, urban Americans (apologies to others): Ever spend time in your city's little Italy? Most first generation Italian - Americans came from the south or Sicily, where they go gaga for anise and fennel. Ever walk into an Italian bakery and smell the anise cookies, straight out of the oven? Ol' Serge (bet he'd hate to hear himself called that) and his buddy Sheldrake have nailed that scent dead on, mounting it on top of that signature Lutens base that's his own personal Guerlinade. This one is scrumptiously edible, and it's probably the ideal perfume to wear when your'e going out ot a nice Italian restaurant. Highly recommended. Of course, I AM a cook...

mellybee
mellybee

I've never met a fragrance which fits its name so perfectly like this.
Douce Amere. Bittersweet.

My first experience with it tested on my wrist has been rather disappointing so in this light I was not prepared for the loveliness of Douce Amere, but being a hot sunny day today I craved for a refreshing scent so I gave it a second chance.

The choice was just perfect. Bitter and sweet notes blended beautifully, none of them tried to dominate. Soon after the first sniff I envisioned ouzo.
Ouzo is an anise flavoured spirit (optionally added other flavorings, such as star anise, coriander, cloves, and cinnamon) traditionally known in Greece (and Albania as I know from a friend). It does not change drastically on the skin, this note never really fades made the scent so lively throghout the day. The sweetness is presented by flowers but I am unable to identify them although I'm fairly sure that I can't smell jasmine which is one of my favourite notes.

The tenacity is exceptional - with a lovely sillage - considering that I sprayed it at 5am and 12 hours later I can still smell it in full bloom.

(I have to admit that I could seen Douce Amere to tend annoying when the wheather warms up because of the toothpaste-like freshness.
Nevertheless, I would definitely want a bottle for the hot summer days.)

rebella

I have regret my last review a little. I do love Douce Amere, but it´s a soft, laidback and quiet kind of love. Some perfumes from SL keep growing on me, it can take some months to realise that I really cant live without them, Douce Amere is one of these perfumes.

Longlasting, beautiful, soft, mature and extremly caressing. I am feeling totally comfortable when I wear this.

pimentosugars
pimentosugars

Last time I tried this I was so taken aback by the soft scent-texture,I missed some of the intricacies of the top notes. Now I have my own tester it's a different story! The flowers rest tenderly underneath this strange spell of cream and absinthe and lilies. There is this peculiar sense of artemisia very gently sweetened, a soft airy quality. My partner dismisses it as aniseed, but just for once I may have to buy irrespective of his opinion. This is elegant and unusual, whilst being easy for everyday wear - how often can one say that about a Serge Lutens fragrance?

Mitsouko
Mitsouko

Douce Amere smells herbal, bitterly and simultaneously sweetly. It have ideally proportions, is very interesting, however, has too heavy structure, as if it create perfumer of sculptor built, but not, , for example, jeweler. Too heavy smell, imo, for take away by woman, probably, that she is strong as antique Kariatyda.

rebella

Very nice. Like it a lot, but not really love tough. On me it smells very dry, herbal and a bit of hay... reminds me a lot of the north swedish countryside in the late summer, when the flowers have overbloomed and the hay is ready to been cut off (don´t know what it is called in english!?) Underneath the surface of dry herbs and hay there is something soft and lush lingering... like the next summers flowers waiting to bloom again...

Absolutly worth trying, nice non-offending, good stayingpower and with quite much personality...

PerfumeEmpress
PerfumeEmpress

Unusual indeed. Gives you a sensation of both cold and warmth at the same time. Very different.

cjtexboy
cjtexboy

I find that it can work for men but I wore it for a while and at firs it seemed to be ok but after a while it just didn't smell too good on my skin. I've let friends try it and it smells diff on them - so, I can't use it any longer! It's practically full - anyone want to trade it for something else?

Aeternitas
Aeternitas

This was my absolute favorite Serge Lutens I tried. It's incredible, not heavy, but not at all light. Very noticeable and great mix. Again, it turned out different on my skin. The man behind the counter sprayed it all over himself (he said it's his favorite) and it smelled perfect on him. It's not masculine, it is very much for a woman. Nice notes of jasmine and cinnamon. Alluring and elegant.

Douce Amere by Serge Lutens 3.97 out of 5 based on 292 ratings and 44 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Serge Lutens Douce Amere fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. If you have more information about Serge Lutens Douce Amere, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Douce Amere by Serge Lutens. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Douce Amere by Serge Lutens represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.