Designers » R S » Oriental Spicy « Groups

Five O`Clock Au Gingembre Serge Lutens for women and men

Five O`Clock Au Gingembre Serge Lutens for women and men
dislike

cinnamon
Five O`Clock Au Gingembre Serge Lutens for women and men Pictures Five O`Clock Au Gingembre Serge Lutens for women and men Pictures

Five O`Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens is a Oriental Spicy fragrance for women and men. Five O`Clock Au Gingembre was launched in 2008. The nose behind this fragrance is Christopher Sheldrake. Top notes are tea and bergamot; middle notes are ginger, cinnamon and woodsy notes; base notes are cacao, honey, amber, patchouli and pepper.

Tea Bergamot

Ginger Cinnamon Woodsy Notes

Cacao Honey Amber Patchouli Pepper

Five O`Clock Au Gingembre Fragrance Reviews

fuggerone
fuggerone

ginger all the way, with moderate sillage, one fourth of the bottle for a real performance..disappointing !
the gone bottle won't be replaced!

Pianomelody
Pianomelody

Sweet,fresh and gentle. Remember the English afternoon tea, it's raining outside and gets Cold weather may be good in the Christmas holiday periods... the beginning is fresh and spicy thanks to tea. Slowly evolves becoming almost gourmand, as it comes into play and ginger well it pronounced cinnamon that sweetens perfume. The sillage on me is moderate, good longevity. Serge Lutens has created quite a versatile fragrance, not complex but satisfying. Very English,i like!

Sillage: 7./10
Longevity: 7.5/10
Scent: 8.5/10

Overall: 8./10

Cassiano
Cassiano

Five O'clock Au Gingembre was released in 2008 and its name means "Five O’clock with ginger". This time, Serge Lutens comes out of Morocco and goes to England, where the tradition of the afternoon tea (17h) is known worldwide, since 1662, and gained strength from the 19th Century. The tradition was taken by the Portuguese Princess Catarina de Bragrança, but the ritual became more known thanks to the Duchess of Bedford, Anna Maria Russell.

Serge sets his inspiration by saying: "Tea at Buckingham Palace. Centered on candied ginger, this fragrance is a ritual ceremony. It caters to the quicksilver in us, to our imagination dressed in white gloves".

In its composition, Five O'clock Au Gingembre carries notes of bergamot, candied ginger, honey, patchouli, pepper, cinnamon and bitter cocoa, plus tea accord.

On the skin, the result is divine! The honey comes, since the beginning, with its sweetness, covering the citric nuances of the bergamot, which is an essential part in any good Earl Grey tea. It's the same feeling of using honey instead of sugars to sweeten tea or other hot beverage. The ginger is spicier than citrus and is present from the beginning to the end, sometimes burnt, others sweet, like that ginger used in recipes for gingerbread. The cinnamon also walks through all the evolutionary phases and seems to get denser, as time goes on, as if it were the tea getting cold on the table. On my skin the patchouli presented more sweety than earthy nuances and the cocoa gives the final touch, as if it were sprinkled on top of the drink.

Five O'clock Au Gingembre is a perfect oriental scent, which remains comfortable and stable for hours, exuding magnificently. It's unisex, but I think its fragrance combines even more with men.

In my opinion, is one of the best perfumes of the house of Lutens, besides being one of the most versatile and adaptable within the whole line. Some people complain about the lasting, but I can't complain about it.

It is five o’clock and we have fresh cookies, honey, ginger, cinnamon and cocoa. Please, sit down. The tea is served.

Gigi The Fashionista
Gigi The Fashionista

Tea time fragrance. Totally smells of delicious cinnamon tea. This has ginger cinnamon, chocolate honey and bergamot each of these ingredients are indeed tea notes. The patchouli gives it depth and oomph as well as a long life. It's aromatic and very exotic. I think it smells like a tea house. On me the honey is always present as is the tea. The scent of chocolate is there but I wish it had been stronger. I would call this a very well made gourmand fragrance. If you like these notes and have experienced in other fragrances you're sure to enjoy this. I think it's the most gourmand of all the Serge Lutens fragrances that I have in my collection. I wear this to places that match up with the fragrance: coffee houses, cafes, teahouses, restaurants that serve desserts, but it seems to smell much better in the later afternoon. The name is dead-on. Five o clock. I have worn it at that time before and it works :)

I find the Lutens line to be rather strange, in that I've tried several of them now, and I always think I'm going to like them, because I tend to enjoy strong, animalic, spicy, gourmand, rich, heavy, etc. scents, yet I never seem to like these all that much. I can wear Ambre Sultan on rare occasions, but the amber is a bit too much (the herbal element helps balance it out), though this is true for all scents of this type (for me). Now this scent may be the worst Lutens composition I've encountered. It's all over the map, with different notes coming and going with no rhyme nor reason. However, I like this scent more than any of the other Lutens, with the exception of Fumerie Turque (and I tried that one so long ago that I can't say I would prefer it to this one). It's woodier than I thought it would be at first, but that doesn't last long and then I think it is better-balanced. A lighter scent that is somewhat similar is Courvoisier EdT. I obtained a bottle in a swap, and I intend to keep this one, because I like the smells it generates, but I find it amusing how chaotic it is as a composition. My major disappointment is that the base isn't as strong as I thought it would be - even in a "celebuscent" I would more strength with that list of base notes!

Duskfall
Duskfall

I have no words to describe how much I love this one. I have encountered many disappointing fragrances lately, but luckily Five O'Clock came to the rescue! It proved to me that there are still good things to be found. It fills me with joy every time I catch a whiff of it. A perfect combination of freshness and comforting warmth. Pure bliss.

It's magnificent. That's all I can say.

I pretty much agree with Black Russian about the performance: at least 6 hours with full force and then 3-4 hours closer to skin.

Eupatoria
Eupatoria

When I learned of this perfume, I was looking for one of the two kinds of ginger -- a sharp smell of freshly grated ginger that one would add to a juice (or a cocktail) or the dried ginger powder in freshly baked seasonal cookies. Everyone has their own interpretation of 5 o'clock, right?

And I got neither.

I had some ginger tea that was sitting around for a bit, and, when steeped, it would give off just the faintest bit of ginger -- this is what this perfume smells like.

I can see that many reviews mention spices -- sure, I get some cloves, some cinnamon, some nutmeg; but all of it smells... stale. Like if you had some ground spices sitting around for a while, and you can still tell what they are, but they are not potent anymore.

And what makes it quite confusing is the sharp green, almost herbal notes -- what is that meant to be? Ginger leaves? The intention there is quite puzzling. It stays there in the dry-down and feels almost chemical -- like some weirdly scented wood wax that maybe also has a hint of orange in it.

I don't have a anything negative to say -- a lot of work went into this perfume; it just over-promises with a name and under-delivers with execution. I actually think I would have liked it better if the name were not so lofty -- had it been sold to me as, say, 'December,' I would probably be quite excited about it.

I want it to be *more* -- more ginger-y, more holiday-like, more festive, more winter-y, more spice-y, more gourmand. More *something.* But there are some great deals to be had online, so if you find one, making do with 'less' is certainly fine for this warm and comforting perfume.

It doesn't really last or project on me -- that's why I think they could have got away with making the spices more prominent; would not be overwhelming with such minimal projection. Great for the fall or the winter.

It's billed as unisex, but I cannot imagine it doing much for a man -- maybe that's what the green leef-y sharpness is for?!

mmjafarian
mmjafarian

بوی زنجبیل واقعی را در این اثر می یابید. کار خوب و تا حدی با کیفیت و گرم و شیرین. با پخش بو و موندگاری خوب.

Black Russian
Black Russian

This is what truly unisex perfume should be like: it performs slightly different on male and female skin! I notice it after I test spray it on my skin and paper.
On paper it smells like your average (but high quality) unisex juice, maybe slightly on too feminine side. On my skin, however, it smells like unquestionably man's masculine scent. I decided to investigate more on this topic, and let my GF to use it too... You probably already guessed what was result... Yes, this is true chameleon of highest rank!
It projects softly, but very decisively. It doesn't screams "rich", but confidently stating "expensive and classy". Many people also describe at as sexy. I had a lot of compliments like "You get your sexy on today!" while wearing it, from both genders.
It maintains arm reach projection for about 6 hours, and after that 3-4 hours more as skin scent.
I think it would made very safe blind buy, I really don't see how and why anyone could hate it.
Verdict
Scent 9.5/10
Longevity 7/10
Projection 8/10
Silage 7/10
Price to quality 8/10

mirrorghost
mirrorghost

ah i definitely smell tea and ginger. it's a bit spicy at first but calms down after a few minutes. it's somewhere between green tea and black tea i think. a spicy cinnamon comes in after a bit, mixing with the ginger and now honey is apparent too. it's a very calming scent, tea does that for me. i feel like i'm getting something *mildly* animalic but i'm not sure what it is. it gets more beautiful as time goes on. i am really loving this.

oilizer
oilizer

It's a pleasant, warm sweet ginger spice scent but it reminds me of the scent of Biselle handheld pet stain carpet cleaner detergent we use at home...

lovesky
lovesky

The sharp opening has a slight touch of a male perfume, but that fades quickly and becomes a beautiful amber based fragrance that smells like chai tea latte with all its delicious spices on my skin.

goldkitten66
goldkitten66

Earl grey tea with a slice of lemon,a drop of honey stirred with a cinnamon stick... and chopped fresh ginger. Doesn´t last long though. Perfect fall fragrance

Irishchick
Irishchick

Oh my goodness I adore this perfume!

After finding my signature (by accident) I really did not think there could be room in my heart (or erm..nose?) for another scent, one I could love just as much, however it has happened.

I see a lot of people writing this off as a "masculine" scent- I urge you not to do this as you will miss out on an incredible scent! Yes the opening, for the first 5-10 minutes is VERY like a cologne, there's an almost mentholated lime scent to it. Don't get me wrong - it is delicious and fresh, that cut of citrus, at first I too thought oh dear - this is more something my boyfriend should wear, but this "masculine" cologne opens up and softens down to a delicious, very fresh spicey sweetness, that is more rounded and delicate.

Ginger is indeed prominent throughout and though I normally hate patch, this patch is light and green cut through with fresh ginger spice. The dry down to my nose is sweet, but again not like the cloying fuitchouli sickening sweetness of LVEB for example or Angel ED Sucree, not an overly sweet vanillic fragrance of which there are so very many these days.

This scent is indeed great on its own but it is truly wonderful to layer with other fragrances. It makes any other fragrance I own even better! I layered with with Chloe and it was just phenomenal, giving the fresh rose an extra needed dimension and depth of spice.

Sillage is low to moderate but longevity is moderate - a few hours, and on clothes over a day.

I would bathe in this juice and cannot wait till my FB comes, i am been pouring my sample all over me for days now! I imagine this is one perfume that I will not only use, but go through several bottles of. Fabulous.

Lady Tessa
Lady Tessa

I am very new to this whole perfume thing, and reading some of the other reviews, I feel like I am really out of my element doing a review. So I'm doing this for any other newbies out there. First of all, I love ginger scents. Love them. This was suggested on this site when I was looking for other fragrances with ginger. and I really wanted to love it. I bought a sample from "A Perfumed Court " (thank you Prince Barry for the suggestion for samples). And for the most part I absolutely love this scent. It is wonderful, and I feel, long lasting. The fresh ginger,the spicy brisk smell and then the lovely, lush woodsy scent. And if this were on my husband, I may have spend my whole time sniffing his neck! :) Alas, he does not share my fondness for fragrances, so I'll have to find something else. Because this, to me, is more of a masculine scent. Not very feminine. Now, ordinarily, I would say the hell with that, scents are scents and they are not masculine or feminine. However, this seem like it would just suit a man better. I know I just contradicted myself. But I just get that vibe when I smell this. And yes, I spent the whole afternoon sniffing my wrist when I sampled it! I need some other ginger offerings!

the_badger
the_badger

Why does the beautiful things in life last so little?

kanak
kanak

Wonderful juice.Five O'Clock is one of the more easy going of Lutens/ Sheldrake creations. A slight citrusy Tea to start, then mostly ginger and cinnamon. Fades into a sweet base of honey and amber with hints of spices. Moderate projection of about arms length and longevity is around the five hour mark.

Perfect for the monsoon and winter out here, smells like watching the heavy rains come down in the twilight while sipping a cup of hot, spiced tea with honey on your porch! Love it.

PS- I agree with Houdini below. The first thing that came to mind when I sniffed this was DnG's The One although 5 O'clock would be a far more complex, well rounded, glorious version of it.

MadeiraD
MadeiraD

On me this is fresh wild spicy, more like fresh ginger than cozy warm gingerbread, this is less sweet and hotter than that, very unique, smells like a trade ship in a jungle port, spices drying and tea and old wood

gelo999
gelo999

Good Lutens fragrance.

Although it is a spicy oriental, this fragrance has a fresh opening as if this were an invitation to take a nice afternoon with lemon tea accompanied by rich gingerbread cookies dusted with cinnamon.

Among other things, once it left to the surface so that seems ideal for daytime use.

Rating: 6

This is another shocker. Very strong ginger and woody bomb!
A think it's more for men than for women.
If this was a tea drink, I would have already drank it. Smells good in an edible way, I would say. But I guess as a perfume, I wouldn't like to wear it. Too strong and masculine for my taste.
This is one of those fragrances that is fun to smell and try, but I could never actually wear it.

GoodVibrations
GoodVibrations

Freshly ground ginger powder blended with sweet spices and stirred into black tea. And then a genuine soft leather note. Sensual and consumable. Instead of spraying, can I hose this on instead? Phenomenally perfect.

jeffwithfrags
jeffwithfrags

Typical Sheldrake blueprint is in the exciting and comfy notes, Quality materials - and then the car crash of an introduction.

Usually, you're gassed with ashy smoke or totally wrecked with a pile of pungent, sharp greens, herbs or woods on 1st applying pressure to the stopper.

If you're a Happy High St Hippie and like me, like those sort of scents; well SL can easily pass off as the Dark side of the Force.

5 o' clock maybe tries to buck the SL 1st spray trend (a little) yet still sadly fails at the forefront to give you the Signature orientals, spice, refinement and traditional rose/powdery/ambery sweet notes until inevitably in the drydown. Fails pretty flatly, in all honesty.

If you're after even the slightest hints of warm, chewy gingerbread, doopy honey and bun-spice at the start; forget it! This after all, is a Serge.

The top begins with a powerful citric (not lemon or orange) blast and the intro can come off a unsatisfying or uninviting overall, especially if you're thinking 'warm, sweet gingerbread and chai'.

The key here is while it may be a dealbreaker for me, as many other SL intros, it may not be an insurmountable mountain for others this time round.

So, unconvincing; the citric bergamot lends a sour, limey feel here and the ginger that comes in is overpowered by this; authentic but any warmth and spice is totally absent; it's raw and fully unsweet, as how the bergamot is rendered too.

Bergamot is a note that is akin to an exact mixture between a lemon and a lime with a drop of orange oil that tends to 'flatten' out as a citric note instead of 'radiate', like lemons (so, not very aromatic).

It just doesn't work for me like this and through several attempt it does not vary much at all with any of the sweetness peaking. It remains decidedly citric fizzy-sour, brisk, a touch spicy and even quite peppery from the 1st spray and then for a good half hour.

It is pretty undefined; neither coming out as an all out ginger, or pepper or lime and I don't get any 'tea' at all. Maybe only the greeny leaves but certainly not the addicting grains themselves.

I don't get any honey until a good 2-3 hours in, even then the citric-green top persists.

For the drydown, I get what everyone else is eulogizing about; more of the sweetish, gourmandy goodness of a honeyed baked gingerbread.

The spice and woods (cinammon) later are real stars - SL is my go to 9/10 House if I based my reviews on dry-downs alone!

It tried but it's another unconvincing effort from the House of Shock Lutens.

Rating: 5/10.
Scent Quality: 8/10.

cake n' cuddles
cake n' cuddles

I bought a decant from a fragrantican friend and immediately knew I needed to get a whole bottle of this! A year and an empty decant later I finally have my bottle!
I love 5 o'clock gingembre because it's spectacularly blended and well rounded. I enjoy all of it's phases. It's fresh spicy and earl grey tea beginning, it's sweeter candied ginger and biscuit middle, and it's deeper, richer end.
The fragrance is miraculously easy to wear and I never have a bad time wearing my favorite 5 o'clock tea time scent.
As others have said this fragrance truly is a delight for spice and gourmand lovers.

SCBohemian
SCBohemian

Wow! Five O'Clock Au Gingerbread opens with a pungent punch of clove, cinnamon, and smoky bergamot, followed by cedar and black peppercorns. The base notes alternate between tobacco leaves and incense. This intoxicating elixir conjures up images of tufted leather sofas in an elegant cigar lounge, fine Kentucky bourbon, and hot Earl Grey tea. Will probably give this one to my husband, though. Overall: silage is strong; longevity is 4+ hours!

Very intense at first, but after a while, when it settles, it's really pleasant, deep spicy scent. Lots of teasing ginger, but well tamed by sweeter cinnamon. Very interesting, elegant, mysterious scent.

Chicago Tony T

Another Sheldrake masterpiece! From Chene to Borneo 1834 to Gris Clair to Chergui, Chris is my favorite perfumer. I won't go into detail about the scent as I don't have much to add to what's already been said but this is the perfect cozy scent for cooler temps. Great for cuddling up and watching a movie, or a chilly walk downtown during the holiday seasons. Perfectly unisex and a joy to wear. Priced wonderful as well, right around $60!

kristinare
kristinare

I takes time until the fragrance “opens” and starts to smell nice and wearable. The beginning is harsh, herbal and slightly alcoholic. Brownish-green dry herbs with a generous dose of lemon juice, very spiky, difficult. The ginger seems to be dry, pushed in the background by bitter and sharp citrus notes. After about 20 mins finally I can smell black tea sprinkled over a base of leather; slightly smoky (nothing spectacular) , still overpowered by the citrus notes and herbs. Five O’Clock gets spicy in the drydown but it is hard to tell what these spices are – a mix of everything dry and edible you will find in your kitchen, soaked in ...you guessed it - lemon. Not much tea in Five O'Clock …
Smells like a spiced up version of Penhaligon’s Malabah ;)

juji
juji

From a sample, I smell the spices but not good enough yet that I can pick them all apart, but what I AM getting, oddly, is Tuscan Leather! It hit me right away! Something, something, I just don't know what. The same feel and note of sweet leather that's in Fendi, Fendi for women! Either way I think it's very very pretty and LOVE the spicy tea aspect. Haven't gotten to the dry down yet though...

chrisndema
chrisndema

Wow, this is a powerful blast of ginger and cinnamon. Which i like, kinda like some have mentioned a mens aftershave. Then after a while i find it sweetens on me. Then all i am left with is a smokey whiff of spices. I swear there is a similarity to Queen Latifahs Queen of Hearts in the drydown. I appreciate this scent but it does nothing for me.

archivist
archivist

This is revivifying! The crisp snap of fresh-grated ginger and lively cinnamon and fresh black tea, a zesting of lime and crack of pepper, it dries down to an upliftingly sunny green-leafy-patchouli and bright fresh yellow ginger soap. A kind of inviting, fresh air - perfectly cheerful, and bright as a clean cottage kitchen on a Sunday afternoon.

nero77
nero77

Tea and Ginger Biscuits...

This is a very refreshing tea & ginger fragrance. It's really well made. It opens up with very fresh bergamot and then the ginger and cinnamon tea vibe starts to creep up and it takes on a sweet, very smooth and sheer effect. It's a really nice experience.

Five O'Clock au Gingembre is meant to evoke the ritual of having tea in an English country house at (exactly) 5 O'Clock in the afternoon, served with ginger biscuits. The ginger here especially reminds me of stem candied ginger used in cooking, almost like a crystallised sugar coated ginger. Although the fragrance is not too sweet either, it stays fresh and juicy. I also love the use of honey here, almost like ginger tea being sweetened with honey. There is no smoke or heavy notes, everything is kept sheer and light and playful (which is very different for a typical Serge Lutens fragrance). I like this one a lot. It's not groundbreaking, but I guarantee you'll like it. A very warm and cosy scent which I suspect would do just as well in summer as in the cooler months. Tea has a relaxing effect for me, and this is one which makes me feel happy. I get a good feeling from this... if you like tea, honey or ginger, then try it!

AveParfum
AveParfum

I smell almost 100% fresh ginger root in the top notes. This is why it does not smell like gingerbread cookies, as the raw root is totally different from dried ginger powder, which is very hot and spicy. Soon enough, some smoky black tea and bergamot creep in. The notes all blend nicely together to create a comforting tea fragrance.

I have not read all the reviews, but I can’t help but wonder if anybody notices the similarities between Five O’Clock and Aziyade by Parfum d’Empire, which also features intense, fresh ginger.

My like for this perfume waxes and wanes. After some time, the lovely tea and fresh ginger smell muddled, honestly like they have been watered down with dishwater. But some time later, the honey, patchouli, pepper, and strong woods catch my attention yet again. The woods are so strong that for a while it is all I detect. I don’t detect cinnamon on my skin whatsoever at any point.

I enjoy the perfume on the whole, but not enough to want a full bottle. Sillage sits right on the skin. I prefer Aziyade.

RUDOLFO512
RUDOLFO512

It's a chilly 56 degrees in Miami today so I am wearing Five O'clock au Gingembre. This is one of my favorites from Serge Leutens. It opens with a ginger/cinnamon spiciness and I love that. I think it leans more to "gourmand" than "oriental." Either way it is a lovely fragrance that lasts and lasts on me. To bad I can only wear it during the very few cold days in South Florida. When I do wear it I enjoy it to the max.

melancholybaby
melancholybaby

This fragrance is very aptly named. The ginger spiciness was lovely, and surprisingly delicate. Sits very close to the skin. On me, this was a fairly linear fragrance, but quite lovely in it's simplicity and softness.

Buysblind
Buysblind

This one was an instant like for me. You get a very fresh blast of lemon, tea and peppery ginger that's made sweet with a clean and hefty dose of honey. As it dries down it warms up a bit through the amber, cinnamon, and patchouli. The patchouli's restrained here in the sense that it never hits that stereotypically, heavy hippie level that can get annoying and detract from an otherwise good fragrance. The cinnamon plays the background as well, and I like that, because this one's all about the tea, ginger, and honey. I think Five O'Clock is a pretty safe bet, and you're unlikely to receive many negative reactions from it. It's kind of along the lines of Burberry London and Eau des Baux as far as its impression and context, something to be worn during the cooler months, especially around the holidays. As far as Lutens fragrances go, I feel like this one has a little more mainstream appeal than most. There's something about the sweet woody amber aspect of it that feels familiar, however this by no means common in quality or overall smell, it's just not weird and unusual. Projection is good, a little on the close side, and longevity is about 5 to 6 hours. While it may lack a "WOW" factor, that's not always necessary as far as I'm concerned, and I'm completely happy to own this very pleasant, ginger-tea concoction that's easy to reach for and throw on whenever the mood hits. Thumbs up and a safe blind buy if you like the sound of the notes.

Jenavira
Jenavira

Imagine you are drinking lapsang souchang tea with milk and someone inadvertently adds ginger to it, this is what you get with Five O'Clock Au Gingembre. I love the smoky spiciness happening in this tea. Definitely a cousin to L'Artisan's Tea for Two but less sweet.

ynde
ynde

If Fille en Aiguilles and Féminité du Bois had a love child, it would be Five O'Clock au Gingembre. It has the incense of FeA, with the cinnamon and woods of FdB, made younger and more fresh with hints of ginger and lemon tea. Both of its parents are exquisite, and this is the perfect alternate to either for slightly warmer weather, where the ginger and spicy notes shine.

mlleghoul
mlleghoul

Strong, fiery ginger steeped in sticky, honeyed amber, wound with wisps of smoky lapsong souchang. Yet for all this deep, dusky luxuriance, it is surprisingly sheer...as if a silken scarf had been dipped in this concoction, and hung in a sunlit window to dry. The scent clings to the fabric and is lightly released as one knots and folds it about ones throat.

little elf
little elf

Hmm, the tea note is really strong on me and makes it smell kind of masculine at first. I really like it otherwise, but I so wish my skin amped up the cinnamon and ginger instead. I get hints of that sometimes and it's perfect! But then the tea note comes along. It's not that I don't like it, it's just that it adds a lot of freshness, which isn't a bad thing, but I was really hoping for a spicy, warm, winter scent. I think this smells like spiced black tea. I was hoping for gingerbread, but black tea is nice too. It would make a great spring scent in my opinion.

becuille
becuille

I've had a sample of this all summer that I've been sniffing but waiting for cooler weather to actually try on because it smelled so warm in the bottle. But strangely, when I actually put it on, it smelled so cool on me there was almost something ashy about it.

This is an odd one. It's beautifully spicy and the ginger is gorgeous, but there's something so cold and woody about it that it doesn't quite satisfy my hope for a warm, wintery spicy perfume.

I don't get the honey at all. I could swear there's none in it. To me, this is ginger and woods.

It's unisex, but I'd say it veers to the masculine side of things.

I don't know, I'm torn. It's partly beautiful gingerbread and Christmas, partly cold and uninviting.

Soft sillage and around 6 hours longevity.

Fragrantlife
Fragrantlife

As someone else pointed out, my skin also amplifies wood notes. It turns into a wonderful sandalwood smell accented with a pinch of spice and a sweet touch of ginger. I don't get the tea at all. Very pretty and wearable. Certainly unisex.

ComfyCat

So smoky,
so cinnamony,
so subtly fruity,
so uplifting.

Five O'Clock Au Gingembre is for me a scent of pure ambivalence, as in the first 10 minutes he almost knocks me out with a blast of rough and almost icy woods, with a prominent Aftershave effect.
But yet Five O'Clock Au Gingembre reaches out and helps his victim back to its feet, maneuvers me to a wooden bench, rekindles a fire to warm me up and offers a smoky ginger tea with cinnamon and dried fruits to me.
An adjective what fits the the overall experience best? INTERESTING.
The cool wood and spice notes take my breath, not just metaphorically. Behind this rough attack onto the senses the scent reveals much more, a soft and lovable coziness underlying its interesting fresh breath.

A truly special scent, wich makes me think of colder seasons and snuggling up with a blanket, some tea and a good book to enjoy this demanding scent.

hippiechick13
hippiechick13

This is a happy kitchen that plays on the skin. I enjoyed the smell on my wrist, but only after walking around for a small while and allowing this darling to develop, did the cinnamon, the chocolate, the pepper become more pronounced, and the over all toothsome yumminess began to coalesce. After some more time again, the bergamot and patchouli stir to the fore. Still very pleasant, as the more gourmand aspects are still present and sparkling.

Wearing this to a date might be very good if you aim to enchant your suitor. ;)

Like the rest of the line - A+ - high quality, above average lasting power, offbeat and fun, attractive and wearable. There are some fragrances out there best suited to a room spray or a candle. NOT something to be worn.

The only thing stopping me from purchasing is that I own Ambre & Santal by L'Occitane, and Volutes by Diptique, both of which share similar traits with this one.

If you want to buy a foodie in your life a present, this would be perfect.

temporalgrace
temporalgrace

This is primarily nondescript tea and dry cinnamon. It's not super special, but it does smell a lot like a cup of spicy black chai sweetened with honey. I was hoping for something similar to Jo Malone's Ginger Biscuit but this falls short. Don't get me wrong, it's likable enough, but it just seems kind of monotonous. I like this well enough, but it just isn't as special as I would like. It is a nice warm comforting scent though!

Sherihan
Sherihan

Starting from middle note, a black currant smell emerges.

arrode
arrode

Spicy tea, but the patchouli is ever present. I actually wish they had foregone the patchouli in this! To me, you can definitely smell the cinnamon and the tea, so it's just like a nice, zesty cup of tea, but it really does last. I put some on at night before bed and could smell it the next morning in the drydown phase (full on patchouli at that point). Radiates a bit off your body, but a polite distance.

dissolver
dissolver

StealthAngel's review convinced me to give this a try in warmer weather, and it is a TOTALLY different perfume on me. I usually like unisex scents, but this is really awkwardly dudely on me in winter -- like a little kid who stole dad's aftershave. I can only wear it layered with something sweeter and richer. But I tried it today and this is SO much better with my chemistry in summer! Fresh but a little cozy. So even though everyone says this is a winter/fall scent, if it seems like notes you usually love but pulls a little funky on you, try it out for the summer.

ezeizat
ezeizat

I like to wear this around the house just to wear it. It is a very smoothing scent & balanced. Love it.

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on a decant. Ginger cinnamon tea with some woodsy notes. The scent is thick but ethereal at the same time with below average projection. Longevity is moderate on my skin. Reminds me of T42 a little but without the spicy tobacco note.

IndigoEye
IndigoEye

This Lutens testing is getting dangerous! I thought at first that Five O Clock was too mild, too unremarkable (but I did have Fille en Aiguilles, Santal Majuscule and Feminité du Bois spread in different parts of my body to help me choose which to properly sample first) so it went to the back of the queue for testing.
But oh, it is lovely! It is milky tea and ginger biscuits, creamy, comforting and elegant. It is bright and soothing, with the familiar woody spice that Serge Lutens does so well.
How am I ever going to decide?!
It does have a fairly soft sillage and moderate wear. It would be perfect for work or a day event.

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

A very lovely blend of cinnamon, ginger and a refreshing tea note is what I'm picking up off the top. As time passes the blend gets slightly sweeter from the honey and woodier.

I have to say this spicy fragrance is very nice indeed and very well balanced. This would make a great scent for the Fall.

Terese2
Terese2

LOVE all those classic Oriental gassers! Angel, Shalimar, Musc Ravageur...bring it! The problem with them is they, even in microscopic amounts, force everyone in the room to smell you. I can't often wear them without worrying about offending folks.

5 O'clock is an oriental polite enough to wear if you are crowded into a plane. This fragrance has captured the clean refreshing smell of freshly cut ginger. With the gentle touch of vanilla and honey, it immediately puts me in mind of ginger ale without that cloying sweetness. There is something airy about it; I would not be surprised if it had anis and greens in it. I'm not getting the Christmas association I'm reading about. Maybe Christmas in India...It is a scent that feels like it was carried on the wind from a distant outdoors kitchen.

Chicago Tony T

Very close to Spicebomb and EDB. Smell like Christmas pretty much. More in the gourmand genre than oriental. Very wearable for men and women. I enjoy it but seldomnly reach for it. Longevity is 6 hours max with low sillage. Best for cooler temps.

angelslys
angelslys

I love this scent for Christmas time. It's a great cold weather scent and I often mix it with a vanilla perfume from Cake Beauty that makes it have a more chocolatey smell. Scrumptious!

scentsuelle
scentsuelle

This smells amazing on my friend but like a nervous cat's accident on me. So I bought it for her so I could still smell it somewhere. One that has to be dosed very carefully as it has a very sweet overtone that can veer towards the sickly, but the ginger wins out, with a sort of honeyed, creamy quality. Lasts a long time and it is one of those you don't smell everywhere, making it extra special when you do catch a whiff of it.

WildDove
WildDove

I love ginger and cinnamon notes, but unfortunately the woods dominated on me and it wasn't good.

mysticaldeath
mysticaldeath

not bad but ulitmately reminds me of the smell of a department store, kind of generic from Lutens and perhaps a higher quality carolina herreras 212 for men.

mossyoakpenn
mossyoakpenn

Wow this is rich. Starts off with a thick ginger but then a semi-dry cinnamon takes over. Really reminds me of Opium pour Homme but more full bodied and a little more complex. Has a nice warm sweet touch to it. Its nice but on me this is fading way too quickly.

PolarBear2
PolarBear2

For those days when you are tired of flowers or powder . I like it. Its not overpowering at all.

humblekye
humblekye

It's pleasant but very common. I don't get noticeable ginger at all, it smells more like a generic transparent spicy masculine. It is VERY short-lived.

Germany
Germany

WOODY oriental GOURMAND

I really like this!! Not that it comes as a surprise as I like most Lutens and this one is no exception. It smells as it sounds, it smells of Christmas, ginger cookies , spices, holidays, tea time ,( chai tea in particular ), cloves, ganache and cinnamon. It couldn't be more of a HOLIDAY scent. The smell of DECEMBER the memories of the holiday SEASON :) phantastic !
It starts off slightly cologney, I don't mind that, it smells of a well groomed man sitting at a festive holiday buffet awaiting his coffee and candied ginger and ganache. It reminds me of my father home for the holidays.
It goes into this oud medical smell and chocolate woody spices. Slightly ceadery, still quite masculine but nice on a woman , quite addictive in fact.
It slightly reminds me of New Haarlem by Bond ! If new Haarlem is breakfast and coffee with your husband ..than Five O'Clock Gingembre is TEA and spicy cinnamon cookies with your father.
Update, sadly enough, this is discontinued in America . And also thanks sweetChouli for the samle :)

SweetChouli
SweetChouli

Update on my ongoing affection for the house of Serge Lutens. In particular, Five O'clock Au Gingembre (as I slowly make my way through others from this house). This fragrance has made a substantial impact on how I perceive cinnamon as a perfume note. Unlike cinnamon made sweet and fattening like that in L De Lolita Lempicka and Ambre Narguile by Hermes, Serge Lutens keeps his dry and woody. This cinnamon doesn't just fade out into an amber patchouli base; it sticks around til the end. In short, it's a marvelous honeyed hot tea and cinnamon stick scent. This doesn't smell "perfumey" or synthetic at all, which is also why I can wear this everyday. With just a couple spritzes, the scent swirls around me for hours. Any heavier and the cinnamon/ginger combo could become a bit cloying.

If it weren't for the several ladies whose recommendations I reluctantly followed, I'd still be in search of my perfect cold weather fragrance for this year. Thank goodness for word of mouth. Every day this week, I've craved only this smell and have had to force myself to reach around it in fear of using too much too fast. I can't help myself!! It's too too yummy not to smell this all the time.

This is the perfect winter fragrance for me...evokes a mulled wine Christmas type of vibe... it's warm and comforting but sexy too.
Another great fragrance from Serge Lutens... Five O'Clock Gingembre strikes such a careful and well observed balance of spice and sweetness, it's addictive.
Anybody who likes The One by D&G should like this despite them smelling quite different I think they evoke a similar classy, soft mood.
The ginger in the title might put some off and although it's prominent it's in a very refined way.
To put it another way... it's more of the sweet (gingerbread) sense than the savory, in your face strength of root ginger.
Perfectly unisex too, the woodiness comes out a little more on my skin but generally drys down with a cosy cinnamon sweetness.
Gorgegous juice...I'm going to hammer this over the winter it has great sillage and the Longevity ain't bad either.
Top marks Serge!

Stevie.D.
Stevie.D.

I sampled this recently on my skin, walked around for a couple of hours, then went back and bought the bottle. I was nervous about the idea of ginger as the dominant scent. But it is complex and softened with something I can't pick yet. The dry down is the best part for me. Fragrant spicy wood. I wear it regularly now on any occasion.

Jillmcshaw1
Jillmcshaw1

A lovely spiced tea fragrance. There is a cool crispness to this scent, like the first morning frost, the thickness in the air when fall is changing to winter. Chimney smoke on the breeze and a cup of ginger green tea in your hands. For a moment you breath it all in.......before your tea is even finished this scent is a memory on your skin. Such a shame, it's truly a lovely scent, and it does vaguely remind me of Djarum clove cigarettes, but it lacks projection and longevity.When all is said and done I'm not sure it's FB worthy, probably other SL scents to throw my money at, it's one to ponder.

anna.dkr5
anna.dkr5

Wow, what a journey! I smell ginger, tea, and a bit of incense. Yes, definitely incense. It's mysterious and spicy. Not too strong, either.
I don't feel this scent suits me, but I do recommend it because it's really good. Try it!

meama
meama

163) ginger at any time
This Lutens whose name sounds like "a wink at Agatha Christie", according to its creator, would be based on a certain English luxury, tinged with colonialism. Tea and spices, what could be more British, after all? Its smell as its name seems to stand out from the rest of the range at first, but ultimately we find the olfactive guiding principle of the faithful tandem Lutens-Sheldrake.
An unusual citrus opening, almost masculine, with pink pepper and ginger, a sparkling and aromatic bergamot in the role of the tea, but also a little fruity and balsamic note that begins to point the tip of his nose, as to say "not no, do not worry, I'm not a Cologne! "Indeed, if the start is rather cool and easy, it slowly evolves into a spicy woody accord, with this dark and syrupy sugarplum notes that rounds wonderfully woody accords, such as Bois et Fruit for example. The citrus note however always present, but in the form of lemon peel and candied ginger which have soaked in honey syrup and plum brandy.
So we end up finally in familiar territory, expertly renewed, and definitely enjoyable.

xe
xe

Lisa.m.Kaster mentioned that it smells like the bath and body works orange ginger aromatherapy lotion, and I agree. This is way better than the lotion obviously but I love both. Five o'clock au gingembre doesn’t have an orange note but it does have lemon, which is close.

I really like all the SL fragrances I have tried but this one smells like earl grey and I love earl grey. To me this fragrance smells like quiet. Like tea, this fragrance relaxes but promises stimulation (caffeine in tea), so the effect is calming and energizing at the same time.

I agree that this is a gourmand, but it’s one people people who typically won’t go for a gourmand may like.

mrjohn12
mrjohn12

This smells like a pack of lovely Djarems to me! I just want to bite my arm off. But do I want to smell like this? I dunno... I'd say it's a bit masculine. This seems like the kind of fragrance I would wear at home so I could just roll around in bed cuddling and smelling myself. YUM!

The Financier
The Financier

Very, very strong and intensive, like "Chergui". I thought at first seconds it's "a granite stone". But "Chergui" is a sweet tobacco and musk with sandalwood scent that is very discouraging - as if someone knocks in your nose with a fist... awfull even for a men... So, be careful with it. I use Serge Noir and Fille en Aiguilles - those gentle and perfect ones.

id
id

I dont know if I could wear it often but it is a nice, Lutens'ish smell. Ginger, tea, cinnamon and soft sweet spices plus honey. It develops and changes on my skin, longevity is superb.

REVIEW OF DARRSHAN

very nice and its growing
Just got my 50ml bottle, its hot summer in india and this stuff is amazing , judt luv the juice ,

fpih
fpih

What kiera below said:) Too sharp, too masculine, good for layering but not on its own. My least used Lutens fragrance and I own quite a few.

Kiera79
Kiera79

This is very masculine on me. I smell predominantly the woodsy notes with some ginger and cinnamon in the background. For me this would be good for layering, but I wouldn't wear it on its own.

OlfractalInfemme
OlfractalInfemme

The opening is bright with tomato leaf, then fennel/licorice, and softening with ginger.

Review of Darrshan

There is something I like in this frag and so after trying a vial twice have finall decided to buy SL five o clock

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

Five o´Clock I believe it is the best gateway to know Serge Lutens.
Balanced, more versatile and have a perfect and original mixture of ginger, honey and tea where causes envy of any afternoon tea in England.
The cinnamon gives a warm tone and also sweet spicy, complementing this beautiful fragrance.

alchimia72
alchimia72

It's undoubtly an interesting fragrance. I love all the notes in it. But after the juicy beginning it becomes more masculine on my skin. I think it's better on a man.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

Ah, this is a delicious fragrance. It opens with the scent of bergamot and tea, quite strong in the top notes, smelling just like a hot cuppa Earl Grey tea with a ginger biscuit on the side. Then the scent deepens as it dries down, becoming less tea and more of a cohesive whole of lovely notes. The cinnamon and pepper are most forward to my nose as they mix with the strong ginger notes. Then the fragrance develops a lovely depth and really blooms on your skin. I smell the patchouli nicely but it does not dominate. The cacao is there but but more as a facet of depth, not as a note you can really pick out of the mix.

The amber and woods give the scent a warmth and the honey seems like just a drop or two to keep the fragrance from being bitter. This is not a typical sweet gourmand and in fact I would not call it a gourmand at all, since that word typically denotes a very sweet scent. This is a spicy oriental with the addition of tea and a bit of cacao to add to its depth and interest, to my nose. It dries down leaving a bit of an oily sheen on your skin which is a big positive to me as this denotes longevity.

This scent does not have the massive sillage of many Lutens. It is quieter but it is long lasting and stays close to the skin. You could wear it to a dinner without fear of offending your fellow diners, especially if they are eating something with spices like Jamaican or Moroccan food. This is also the perfect scent for afternoon tea. I will be wearing it to work in the cooler months as it will go perfectly with my morning and afternoon cups of Earl Grey tea. Delightful scent, perfectly balanced, spicy with only a soupcon of sweetness, utterly delicious.

I have never bought a "back-up bottle" of a scent in my entire life but I am considering it with this fragrance since it is being discontinued. I want this one in my life for a long time.

LuluSaintly
LuluSaintly

One of Lutens' more approachable fragrances, this is a gentle gourmand (I would say it was a gourmand, because it consists mostly of food smells). A very gentle blend of tea, ginger, cocoa, cinnamon and honey - more thé et pain d'epices than root ginger. For me, it lacks the strength and sillage that I like so much with Lutens fragrances, but could cause no offence, and would be perfect for wearing to dinner - a whiff of it is more likely to give fellow diners an appetite than to put them off their meals. A lovely fragrance for wearing at home in front of the woodburner.

moira-R
moira-R

This perfume didn't open me his soul from the very first breath. First several minutes it smelled monotonically - it was just a mix of bergamot, pepper and incense. But I decided not to hurry with conclusions and to give it some time. //This is Lutens, indeed)) It must not be any haste with Lutens!// So, after an about hour I received my treasure...
This fragrant is such phenomenally dry! Initial bergamot-pepper-incense mix has transformed first into cacao! And it was so unusual and perfect cacao! Not a drink, just cacao-powder! Like when you put your nose into the pack of high quality cacao. So bitter, so dry, without any sweetness, without sugar or milk! Not a fast half-stuff for kids, but a real bitter delicacy for gourmets. //This stage of Gingembre evolution reminded me about Borneo 1834.// In addition to cacao I feel dry black tea leaves. And ginger. Of course this ginger is dry too)) Not juicy root, but spice as a powder, very warm and pungent. And when it was the turn of base it was really stunning wood. I can't identify the kind of wood, but it was multifaceted, rich, warm and ... yeah, dry))
Now I can say that this scent is a pure relax! Especially when it's so snowy and cold outside the window))

Swahili
Swahili

أتمنى أن اجده يوما لأجربه

شكره بعض مرتادي موقع عطر دوت انفو واثق بترشيحاته

FunkyTomo
FunkyTomo

My first testing of a SL creation , thanks to a swap of tester vials with another member . Also my first testing of a brand that is classed as "niche".

Straight away it is obvious that this is of a far higher quality than the mainstream perfumes i am used to.

I wont describe the notes ect , as its already been covered very well in other reviews , but I will say that this is delicious ! Extremely spicy and warm , and perfect for the festive season.

Im very impressed with the quality of this fragrance and I will be getting some more SL samples from Lucky scent to try - recommended to all spicy scent lovers.

dollars&scents
dollars&scents

Five O'Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens - One in initially treated to a lemony accord. Bergamot, with its bittersweet and peppery facets, commingles with a robust, sweetly floral, Earl Grey tea. This tart and tangy mixture, almost effervescent, is carried on an undercurrent of ginger, which infuses its sweet and lemony facets, to the heart. Here, the warmth and spiciness of cinnamon and a hint of nutmeg shower the lemony opening, lifting a gingerbread accord, reminiscent of speculoos, with their rich sweetness and spiciness. A balsamic and faintly buttery woodiness from cedar carries the seductive accord to the base. Transitioning, the smooth cedar is tempered by a woody and lively pepper flittering about, akin to incense, and honey, which imparts its sweetness with a touch of urine. A resinous amber infuses its vanillic and smoky facets. And, a somewhat dark and slightly musky patchouli diffuses its aromatic earthiness. A dusting of bitter cacao also presents. The interplay of the foregoing leads to a comforting drydown. This unisex fragrance leans to the masculine side, and is light and bright. A festive composition, it has average projection, a 1-foot scent cloud, and average longevity, approximately 8 hours.

charts
charts

I found this quite spicy citrusy and gingery. Like others have said, not a sweet gourmand gingerbread but real root ginger. While I love Serge and his creations I found this a bit too masculine for me.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

The first sniff did smell like gingerbread, but this quickly evolved into something more.
The opening was fresh and spicy, just like ginger tea, with it's slightly biting aroma. There is a citrusy twist of bergamot there too which fades. The tea slowly unfurls, smokey and dark that comes to rest on a woody base with drops of honey. Easily masculine as well, a wonderful fresh spicy scent. Versatile enough for all year.

perfumebox
perfumebox

Unlike some other Serge Lutens scents, Five O'clock au Gingembre wasn't love at first sniff for me. I owned it for a full month before getting into it, but I've REALLY started enjoying it as a fresh-spicy oriental that doesn't get cloying or heavy even in warm weather.

Many people assume this will smell like gingerbread, but it's really more like an aromatic blend of ginger and mate tea, without any milk. The zing of ginger, pepper, patchouli and bergamot gives a fresh, translucent kick to the tea, cinnamon, honey and cocoa notes, which give body without being obvious at all. If you want a sweet dessert scent, this is not it.

If you love candied ginger, or like spicy-orientals but find Borneo 1834 too camphoric and medicinal, Five O'Clock au Gingembre is a very good option.

bettybooplennon
bettybooplennon

Por donde comienzo?, hay mucho que decir de esta magnifica fragancia, vamos a dividirlo en pros y contras :)
Pros:
olerlo es una experiencia tan como ver caer las hojas en otono atraves de la ventana mientras en las manos se sujeta una taza de un aromatico cafe (vaya es la sensacion, no el aroma de cafe jajaja) sentada en un sillon de cuero mientras en el horno se cocinan unas deliciosas galletitas de gengibre (ahora si es el aroma)...
Una fragancia romantica como un beso apasionado en invierno, un poema hecho con el corazon.
Mi nariz detecta "ginger" con azucar y canela, razon por la cual todos lo asocian con "Navidad"
Contras:
el maldito precio!!, en estos tiempos me cuesta mucho darle gusto a mi olfato, siendo que Serge Lutens pertenece a Shiseido, Shiseido nunca ha sido barato (creo que lo mas barato que venden es una locion de camelias para la piel), y el tipo de cambio para compras online me mata!, mas bien a mi cartera, aunque soy de las locas que prefieren perfume que comprarse ropa interior nueva jajajaja(demasiada informacion!) :D.
Otra cosa que tiene en contra es la vida del aroma, me dura maximo 3 horas, pero son las 3 horas mas hermosas del dia ;)
definitivamente un lujo que me doy justificando que hoy podria ser el ultimo dia de mi vida, aunque ya llevo varios "ultimos dias" :D

kxnaiades
kxnaiades

I adore SL's scents and it goes without saying i love my food. but food in a bottle- that made me a tad dubious. UNTIL i tried this. And trying became buying in a matter of seconds. Oh my my! i feel absolutely delicious, delectable, irresistable and all the good things! It's a naughty tea session in the back room of a dusty cafe in Europe in the middle of the day. Even when you aren't wearing this scent, it's in the back of your head.
I probably sound boring as everytime someone asks for a recommendation for either a gourmand or cinnamon or a "different" scent, this always pops up without fail or hesitation. It's got literally everything I love from ginger, bergamot, chocolate, CINNAMON and HONEY!! There was no way I would not have fallen for this! It is so dependable as well, I spray it on at 6 in the morning and it is still there cheering me on 13 hours later when my eyeballs are ready to drop to the floor.
5 o'clock indeed. I shall be there. Ladies, if you try it and don't like it, I'll take it off your hands any time!

Gourmand gingery oriental fragrance!

In the begining of the opening the ginger note is the leading in this fragrance for sure. In the combination with the pepper note it smells really sharp. And the fragrance in this moment smells like a natural ginger scent and reminds me about about eating ginger in a sushi-bar. It's really annoyingly sharp and too gourmand in this moment. That is why I decided that this fragrance is not for me.

Actually, later Five O`Clock Au Gingembre starts to smell pleasantly sweet and warm like candied ginger with the noticeable cinnamon spicy note and the delightful honey note on the amber base.

So I think that this fragrance is alluring enough, but only not in the beginning. The beginning is too gingery eatable.

Unfortunately, it's not my cup of tea:)

spumyland
spumyland

the plus confortable scent i know...
very class...
a masterpiece for me!
Thank you Serge!

fanny
fanny

What makes me so happy when testing the Lutens Collection, is that many, many of them have a woody / spicy / oriental character, which is what I long for most in a perfume.
Five O'Clock Au Gingembre is no exception.
It is a very lovely, ultra fresh, woody spicy scent, reminding me instantly of Feminite du Bois (woody flowery spicy) and Fille en Aiguilles (woody spicy oriental). How lovely to be able to change your perfume every day and still have an overall signature:
What am I wearing? It's a LUTENS !!!!

Fille en Aguilles is the strongest of these 3, with excellent sillage and longevity..
The longevity of Five O'Clock and Feminite du Bois is rather medium, 3-4 hours.

małgorzata.kupiec
małgorzata.kupiec

The composition is perfect. Spicy and citrusy with a hint of Earl Grey. Very elegant, somewhat reminds me of the typical Christmas smells. The only problem is durability. Exactly, durability is the only thing I do not like. The fragrance after the first 15 minutes of intoxication somehow suspiciously fast disappears from my skin, leaving after a few hours only a ephemeral memories of ginger, cloves and tangerine, one can smell when they actually just put the nose directly to the wrist. It is a pity, a pity that I'm already addicted to it.

Portia Turbo
Portia Turbo

Yes, it is gorgeous but didn't last on my skin or my partners. After 1 hour it was completely gone.

Tovah
Tovah

I bought this for my husband around a year ago. He likes to wear it on "special occasions" and date-nights. Honestly, when this scent is on his skin, I can barely stop myself from drooling, and I can't keep my hands off of him! Five o'clock au gingembre is incredibly warm, sexual, and hypnotic. My husband's chemistry makes the fragrance tease with notes of dry, honeyed ginger and touches of pepper and amber. Then it tempts with spicy cacao, and it seals the deal with smoky woods and heady patchouli. I cannot resist this gorgeous fragrance. I've worn it myself a couple of times, but it doesn't have the same appeal worn on me. It smells nice, but somehow its more mysterious on my husband and we like it that way.

Le Grand Serge strikes again with FIVE O'CLOCK AU GINGEMBRE, more of an event than a perfume! This creation opens really beautifully with a wrist-sniffingly wonderful combination of woods and spices. I find the ginger rather low-key, relative to the prominence I was expecting, given the name. I definitely do not see any similarity whatsoever to the BBW Orange Ginger aromatherapy line, with which, I should add, I am very, very familiar.

I actually do not like ginger all that much as a perfume note, but in this composition it works very well with the woods, which are heavy enough to smooth the ginger out somewhat. My only regret about this wild Serge ride is that the drydown becomes somewhat gunky on my skin after a few hours. But the opening and the middle stages are really gorgeous, and I like the fact that this perfumes evolves quite a lot over its development trajectory. Never a boring moment chez Serge!

lisa.m.kasper
lisa.m.kasper

Don't slap me. But this smells very much like the Orange Ginger Aromatherapy stuff from Bath and Body Works. But the resemblance stops at the Orange and the Ginger scents. (But if you know that scent, this is in that neighborhood if you are considering buying "blind" as I did).

This goes deeper though. More natural, more herbal/earthy. The orange is deep and carries the whole thing, while the pert ginger dances and skips around. The sweet comes....but only to frame, not to submerge.

I agree with some that this is not Gourmand, at least on the open... but it settles close to there. Its as if the ingredients are all on the counter in their raw form, waiting to be mixed up in a batch to be baked later...

Nice. I have one bottle. Would I buy a 2nd? Perhaps not. Only because this is not a love thing, rather.... it is an "I REALLY like you but..." sorta thing. If I would spend my money, it will be on my true Loves!

I will enjoy and savor this very good friend to the end.

asmhfdbds
asmhfdbds

I was excepting something loud and overpowering ,it's from luten!!
This has nothing to do with offensive scent.
Very calm,bergamot is noticeable,it give it lightness but with tea,cinnamon,ginger this is vibrant , unlike all serge luten that i've tried that are pretty poppin!
In brief description lot of ginger ,little of bergamot ,some cinnamon and tea.
Suitable for fall and winter and i think can be worn to work easily because it's calm.
Also good for special occasion,versatile fragrance.
It's the less mature from the haul line.
Tested it on paper so don't know idea on longevity but it seems to be good with moderate projection.
A winner to me.

elderflowers
elderflowers

5 O'Clock is one of the few scents from which I've genuinely had the 'magnet' effect. It was slightly disturbing, as if I'd signed an unwise pact to make myself attractive to people with whom I couldn't possibly sustain a relationship – and possibly even with genuine candidates. The perfume is a sort of assurance of groundedness and sensuality, the scent of an uninhibited earthy sexy creature who excels at baking, has no guile, and owns a private key to the vault of pleasures. In all fairness, even though I would love this 'Chocolat'-style fantasy to be true, it is not exactly me.

Also in all fairness, there is no better gingerbread scent, for a man or a woman: it's spray-on domestic god/dess. 5 O'Clock smells comforting and sexy; it induces people to trust you and even make you feel more expansive. IMO it's light years ahead of EL Sensuous, which I personally found a bit bland and vanilla-heavy. 5 O'Clock is an amazing ice-breaking scent when you lack confidence, and very pleasant for evening dates. If you don't abuse it, it will treat everyone like a perfect gentleman. And as I said, I've yet to find a finer gingerbread perfume, and I've tried many.

mseidoom
mseidoom

This started out nice, spicy sweet with ginger and cinnamon. Then a hint of chocolate. The patchouli, by now, is getting more intense. After this, it really kept smelling purely of patchouli and pepper. If those notes were toned down more, then maybe I would try to get a decant of this. Probably will test this again.

airubgirl
airubgirl

I love this on my husband. I know it says it's unisex, but after my wearing it for a day or two I really think it's more suited to men. On him I love, love, love it, on me it's meh.... The warm spicy scent of ginger rounded out with honey and amber makes for a very very snuggle your nose into his chest worthy scent. Stays close to him but I get subtle whiffs as he walks by. Perfect for his suit and tie days.

Heverton
Heverton

A mix of spices with a touch of honey and ginger. Delicious? Yes, but I would not buy it as a first SL fragrance. The house have a lot of fragrances better than this one (no, I'm not saying this one is bad, it isn't just as good as Chergui, for example)... lasts an eternity by the way...

I find this too masculine for a woman. Strong and not pleasant.

9154mf
9154mf

At first this is an amazing scent, I tried it out and in the first five minutes had to stop myself from ordering awhole bottle without a second thought! Beautiful woody, soft ginger with enough sweetness to round it out, just divine. In half an hour though, this dries down and all i can smell now is amber! I like amber but I want this to stay gingerbread-y!! (cries like a baby).
It stays close to the skin and is still a warm cosy type scent, but it will require further testing to see if I can make the first phase stay alot longer, otherwise I won't bother buying it.

Tigerlillian
Tigerlillian

Five O'Clock Au Gingembre is a beautiful spiced delight with ginger that lies on a floral and tea base.

True, this stays very close to the skin but it just adds to the warm, comforting effect.

The ginger and spice in this fragrance is not loud at all, but rather soft and radiant. More in tune with gingerlillies rather than spiced Christmas cookies.

A very wearable scent with quiet energy, I love it!

Cereza
Cereza

Finally!

A Luten's I love and am in big urge to add to my collection. This is simply delightful. I love cinnamon and I love spicy tea and this gives it all. I fell in love with L'artisans Tea for Two, but decided not to buy it because of the lack of staying power, but this Lutens. It this has it all - staying power, sillage, the icy cold freshness and delightful spices. I find this to be extremely feminine and sweet and I suggest this to everyone. Try this. This is lovely. And very sexy.

southernbelleinseattle
southernbelleinseattle

While I do not care for this, I will acknowledge it is a nice fragrance many others may like. This is more of an earl grey tea instead of just a black spiced tea - there is a little tea, but definitely lemon. the ginger scent is sharp and strong and carried throughout the whole time I wore this. I think the ginger aspect was my favorite part of this fragrance. What I didn't like was the amber - lots and lots of strong amber - and I absolutely cannot stand amber. I hadn't realized it had amber in it when I read the notes because I didn't know what "labdanum" was - but it is amber!

armchair sailor
armchair sailor

I'm not really sure about it. It seems to change over and over again, not being able (or wanting?) to settle on a specific note. Sometimes it's woody, sometimes it's tea and then woody again. I prefer to know what I'm smelling like at all times :)
It's not a bad perfume, actually it's good, but it has another major flaw: it stays waaay too close to the skin. I have to press my nose against my wrist to smell it. Too weak.

Calyx
Calyx

This is the only spicy oriental I can wear. The tea note gives it a freshness that keeps it from being too spicy to work with my skin chemistry. Definitely one to test if you don't think you can wear spicy oriental fragrances--you just might be surprised!

sfonativeboy
sfonativeboy

This is a very nice
Masculine Fragrance....
A fine gift idea for that special guy,
When you want to get him "a special something" for his Birthday or Christmas.
I like it ... but not enough zing!
so I thought ... hmmmmmm
let me re-try the sample I have ...

so last night I wore it to bed ...
ahhhhhhh! Rich, Molasses,Gingerbread
and Cloves....
it was there on my wrists and arms
when I woke up this morning ...

So ... I rethought it out ...
I might just buy this for myself .....
as a comfort fragrance.....

but to receive it as a gift ...
I'd still say a very content
...."Yes, Let's Rendez-vous at 5pm!"

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

This starts out as an assertive, spicy scent with lots of cinnamon and ginger. It’s a dry spice, not at all sweet, like powdered ginger rather than fresh, along with aromatic dry woods and just a hint of soapiness at some points. After about an hour, the scent dries down into a wonderful aromatic cedar. If you’re looking for sugary cake to go with your tea, this isn’t it, but it might be the freshly laundered linens on the table, some spicy biscotti, and the burning fire in the fireplace, at least until the guy wearing the cheap drugstore cologne walks in.

The beginning and middle of this scent are a real treat, but the end is a disappointment because it gradually evolves into something that smells like a generic “men’s cologne”. I smelled exactly the same evolution in Bond’s Andy Warhol Silver Factory, so they must both have a cedar that eventually reveals itself as a generic “men’s” scent. Too bad, because I was liking this one a lot for the first few hours.

yvashche
yvashche

What a wonderful experience! The first whiff is pure pleasure: sweet, not boring, not vanilla-y. Then the woodiness appears and it settles into a very comforting veil. Perfect for winter and cozy evenings at home. One of my favorites.

Vanilla Lily
Vanilla Lily

Very nice cinnamon ginger opening, and warm spicy woody base. Would be very sexy on a man, but since my husband is not very into fragrances, I chose to continue buying him the much less expensive BLV pour homme. And for me, I'd like to smell more feminine.

KalteStern
KalteStern

I quite liked the ginger top notes, but very quickly it turned into a very dry, dusty, woody effect, like Incense at triple the price, and very much a masculine fragrance. Might work quite well on a man who didn't want citrus or musk notes, but I doubt if it would wean my husband off his Aramis

guest_A. Rose
guest_A. Rose

Eating rich, molasses gingerbread and sipping black, Earl Grey tea, spiced with ginger, next to a warm fire in a creaky, lovely old estate. It's slightly damp and drafty in the house and every once in a while, the wind blows through the house, stiring up the scent of hard woods and velvet brocade, long forgotten photos, books and textiles; lost memories and hidden mysteries. Maybe tonight, while your host and hostess is sleeping, you'll do some adventurous exploring of the nooks and crannies of the place...

falovalo
falovalo

I think the spice is tempered nicely by the sweetness. The amber, pepper and cinnamon are somewhat counteracted by cacao and honey. It's the kind of fragrance you wear in winter with a cozy sweater. But oh my, the price!!!

Also, this reminds me of Vanilla Fields, although there isn't vanilla listed here.

Wristsniffer
Wristsniffer

This fragrance is very, very spicy. If, like me, you are looking for something with as much sugar as spice, this will only be another disappointment.

Five O'Clock starts out with a lot of ginger and, as my boyfriend pointed out, is reminiscent of Chanel Egoiste (the harder-to-find original, not the easy-to-find flanker). As it wears on, the ginger becomes more pronounced, the honey is more apparent, and things start to sweeten up just a bit.

When the top notes fade and the scent settles down, it reminds me a lot of Estee Lauder Sensuous, perhaps with a heavier dose of ginger. It's sillage is far better than Sensuous and it's a bit wetter where Sensuous' woodiness lends a dryer tone, but overall, they are very similar to my nose. If you enjoy this scent and are looking for a more affordable version, Estee Lauder has it.

I enjoy eating the ginger root, but I find it a bit too sharp in perfume when it's not sweetened enough for my tastes. I was looking for something that was more ginger-BREAD than ginger root (like the confectionary note in Angel and Gourmand Coquin), and this fell short of my expectations. If you're a ginger lover, however, I'm sure you'll appreciate this one because it is, in fact, very nicely done.

This went onto my skin as lovely oriental woods with hot ginger top notes, just gorgeous and warm. Dry-down started to shift to too much dusty/powdery wood that went up my nose, all sharp edges and very perfume-y in nature. This would be gorgeous on some, but I ended up with a wristful of perfumey sharp wood with a hint of tragically lovely ginger reminding me of the great opening that was and making the dry down that much more chemical and sad.

Malegria
Malegria

A rich, hypnotizing scent. Reminded me of another Lutens - Fumerie Turque.Same sweet tobacco leaf aroma,and the combination of ingredients give a hint of prunes.I like Five O`Clock even better! The ginger note is very strong, and I love honey and cocoa in the base.Very exotic and sexy - makes me think of Brazil.And I`ll say it again - very, very sexy.

imgcas
imgcas

This is my favourite from Serge Lutens. It's like sipping some spicy black tea. I could spend all day smelling it.
Five o'clock reminds me of Opium pour Homme, but lighter.

Five O`Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens 4.09 out of 5 based on 930 ratings and 120 user reviews

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Serge Lutens Five O`Clock Au Gingembre fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Serge Lutens Five O`Clock Au Gingembre, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Five O`Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Five O`Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.