Designers » R S » Oriental « Groups

Fumerie Turque Serge Lutens for women and men
dislike

tobacco
honey
Fumerie Turque Serge Lutens for women and men Pictures Fumerie Turque Serge Lutens for women and men Pictures Fumerie Turque Serge Lutens for women and men Pictures

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens is a Oriental fragrance for women and men. Fumerie Turque was launched in 2003. The nose behind this fragrance is Christopher Sheldrake. The fragrance features honey, juniper berries, tonka bean, chamomile, patchouli, vanilla, turkish rose, red currant, tobacco, styrax and suede.

Honey Juniper Berries Tonka Bean Chamomile Patchouli Vanilla Turkish Rose Red Currant Tobacco Styrax Suede

Fumerie Turque Fragrance Reviews

Russian's man
Russian's man

IMO Fumerie Turque it's the ''niche version'' of many fragrances of eighties such as Kouros and Ted Lapidus. Also, it reminds me to Tobacco Vanille but something less sweet. Then, it has a remarkable tobacco aura. So, IMO it's rather masculine. Mainly, I perceive honey, patchouli, tobacco and tonka bean.

In summary, an other fragrance with personality by Serge Lutens. Very exotic and warm. More appropriate for Autumn and Winter.

Scent: 9
Longevity: 8
Projection: 6
Sillage: 5
Uniqueness: 9
Versatility: 6

Overall: 7.16

purecaramel
purecaramel

This is a strange one. Starts off with a smoky, ashy blast reminiscent of Asian inscense from childhood. It then goes through a stage that scents like an oil sample I picked up of something called Ruthvah but without Ambergris.
It gently changes into a base of tea and a hard to place, perfumed ash.
Synesthetic. Cool,Lavender in hew, Gray Smoke.

Hard to place until I read anothers review. Black and Gold Sobranie's from my youth.
The Honey and Styrax combine to give it a Sweet winey, urinous background similar to the old Ho Hang Club.
The other reviewer didn't mention the Turk Coffee that has spilled into O'Toole's lap to add colour to his urine soaked trousers.

My sample is very quiet by today's standards of Eau de Parfum.

Nice!
My perfume supplier has tried to stock this and has been unsuccessful.

I don't smoke any more, but I'm off to find some Sobranie's to burn together with a spritz of the Balenciaga and I'm of the age that bladder control is failing.
An ancient 50ml arrived. Richer than the sample.
That's all I'll need to stir the memories and complete the scene.

thiagomartini
thiagomartini

Another very, very right shot from Lutens. Not for everyone, though.

kndy38
kndy38

I seriously don't get sweetness in this.

I can only imagine this on an old Turkish man smoking pipe all day long.

It had every note I love on paper but, well, disgusting on my skin :(

polly golightly
polly golightly

equilibrato e complesso, questo profumo, ormai pressochè introvabile se non nella boutique parigina di SL, a ragione è considerato una pietra miliare nella profumeria di nicchia. per me è IL profumo al tabacco, e di tabacco al miele sa. le prime note dolci, ma non vanigliate, sono sotenute da un bouquet legnoso/aromatico ancorchè resinoso (probabilmente per la giustapposizione tra storace, ginepro e fave di tonka). timidi si fanno strada sentori leggermente floreali accompagnati da impressioni di cuoio che scompaiono rapidamente. la nota predominante di tabacco al miele rimane comunque ben distinguibile per tutta l'evoluzione, senza che sia in alcun modo edulcorata dal resto ma essendo, piuttosto,lo sfondo su cui spuntano e spariscono altre essenze accessorie. ottimo.

Angela Agiannidou
Angela Agiannidou

Oh, I do enjoy this! Smoky heaven with the honey sweetness and the patch note lingering heavily throughout while red currant and vanilla assume supporting roles at the back and tobacco and leather working beautifully and adding a rather masculine vibe to the whole mixture! This is an intoxicating scent, whether you like it or not you are compelled to sniff your wrist and enjoy the sexy, uncompromising beauty of this juice. The more this scent settles the better and softer it becomes, more feminine. Pure, unadulterated love! The irony is that I tried this fume years ago at Selfridges and found it too strong and heavy! A must for a smoke/patch/leather lover!

Erok32
Erok32

Smells exactly like talcum powder to me. Not unpleasant, but not appealing either.

Gigi27
Gigi27

Honeyed smoke, beautiful, very wearable, original.

If you are wary of honey's sometimes urine-like note, fear not: in Fumerie Turque it evoques honey's tactile and visual qualities more than it's smell or taste. Golden, beautiful, luxurious.

Alayna1011
Alayna1011

This was a blind buy for me when I saw a good deal on a bell jar. I was not expecting to love it because of the varying reviews, but it is absolutely amazing. Super complex, and, like smoke, deep and rich yet airy. The perfect balance of honey-tobacco-vanilla. I honestly think this blows Tobacco Vanille out of the water (and I own TV and love it). Also, it is perfectly unisex- I could see both men and women pulling this off. As a fan of feminine sweet scents, I do not feel this is too manly for me. But my boyfriend also loves it and he doesn't care for girly fumes.

This seriously has had me glued to my wrist all day.... HIGHLY recommended.

Funny thing is though, I could swear I've smelled something extremely similar to it. And I have-- Andy Tauer's new Vanilla Flash is VERY close to it, at least as far as my perception goes. Worth checking out if you like this fume.

sweet piglet of smoke
sweet piglet of smoke

Happy to have bought the bell bottle from the Lutens’ boutique at Printemps, but I remain mystified why Lutens has made this one so difficult to acquire. By a wide margin, Fumerie Turque is the best honey and tobacco scent anyone is ever likely to find: wear this for a day and watch all the nice things you’ve thought about Tom Ford’s Tobacco Vanille drain away—compared to Fumerie Turque, Tobacco Vanille is child’s play, almost as though Tobacco Vanille ought to come with training wheels.

If you’ve got a spare $600 buy L’Incendiare—the Lutens’ masterwork, bar none. If, like most of us, you don’t, or won’t spend that much on a single bottle, Fumerie Turque is the best of Lutens: sweet smoke, sticky with honey. Stays on your skin for days.

tonileefiore

@MoreScentsTha-thanks for the feedback! Perhaps you are right; however several other folks on various fragrance review websites get that "dirty urinal scent" from Fumerie Turque.

I'm sitting with Tiziana Terenzi Gold Rose Oudh right now, which is definitely NOT a fragrance for everyone! Preferences are a funny thing, no?

tonileefiore

I REALLY liked this fragrance when I first sampled it several years back. I enjoy many Serge Lutens fragrances, although some turn too "powdery" on me during the dry down. When I first sampled Fumerie Turque, the fragrance remained long & steady, no powdery middle or end notes...I liked the whole development from opening to dry-down a whole lot.

Upon initially sampling this fragrance, it landed nicely on my skin with its initial opening notes of tobacco, leather and smoke. Yes, once the original notes settled down and the mid-notes or heart came through, the scent was reminiscent of spiced amber and honey but not in a harsh way (the amber) or syrupy way (the honey). As another reviewer stated "the honey & amber notes are there but you do not feel like you are drowning in the stuff...honey and amber." So true, I thought...initially.

Oh...what a difference a few years make! Having re-sampled this in anticipation of purchasing a full bottle, the only thing I can smell from opening to end is a dirty urinal smell...urine. Sorry to offend but I cannot get the image out of my mind. Perhaps it is because after sampling this fragrance again and pondering "what was I thinking," I (hesitantly) re-read many negative & neutral reviews. Much to my chagrin, this fragrance conjured up similar images and thoughts experienced by others...uggggghhhh. What was I thinking? Urine? Really?

After two hours, Fumerie Turque did lose some of its initial animalic, civet, pungent & sour smell but...no, no and no. No floral, no smoke, no balsamic...nothing.

Perhaps it is the decant; however the only note I get from this is what Jim Morrison's rear-end must have smelled like when he refused to wash his body for months and he refused to change his leather pants. Just awful!!!! Horrid!

farang
farang

This fragrance evokes a sweet and sour tobacco note, not so much ashtray in my opinion. The sweetness is rather overwhelming and the sourness is a bit stale, so it is not my favorite tobacco fragrance. Long lasting.

psebi101
psebi101

I imagine an older gentleman, with a moustache, wearing an old dusty leather jacket and opening a bag of tobacco to make himself a cigar while drinking a chamomile tea heavily sweetened with honey.
A very sweet scent from the beginning to the end. Upon first spray, it's honey/tonka/vanilla with leather and tobacco. The leather in the opening reminds me of Habit Rouge. Also getting a dated, old fashioned feeling from the leather-tobacco combo.
Fumerie Turque is basically a realistic tobacco note mashed with honey, linear especially after the 2 hours mark. The scent lasts 12+ hours on my skin with medium to good projection in the first hours. Not my kind of perfume, it's too heavy, too sweet and dated.

Scent: 6.5/10
Projection: 8/10

kamilleisamansname
kamilleisamansname

This is one of those "dark" smoke fragrances like Miller Harris' Fumee Arabie, except this would be the pipe tobacco version of a dark smoke fragrance whereas Fumee Arabie is the incense version of a dark smoke fragrance. By dark smoke I mean the presence of a really particular ashy deep-earthy smoke accord, which makes Fumerie Turque a lot more aggressive than other tobacco centered 'fumes like, say, Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. No disrespect to Tobacco Vanille, Both of these are great tobacco scents for the Fall and Winter, but Fumerie Turque's got way sharper teeth to it if you get what I mean.

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

This is another perfume that I love because it reminds me of a person, in this case a specific person: my father. I remember sitting in his lap when I was little and watching him fill his pipe, a ritual he performed with only slightly less solemnity and precision than one ordinarily sees in the chanoyu.

Fumerie Turque opens with the smell of pipe tobacco in a leather pouch, with a faint smell of brown sugar melting. It turns very leathery before turning very smoky, and then there's a smell of sawdust before the dry down, which is a lovely incense.

The best tobacco scent I've ever encountered. I miss you, Daddy.

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

This review is based on decant. On my skin and to my nose, it opens up with ashy tobacco with a suede undertone, which then dries down to animalic honey, which at this stage immediately reminds me of APlS by MFK. It has moderate projection and good longevity on my skin.

Rags n tatters
Rags n tatters

Picture this. Golden beaches, beautiful blue sea, bright yellow sun in a clear blue sky, that slowly turns into a wonderful cool night with a cooling breeze. Imagine yourself lying on this beach under this blue sky and later star filled night, relaxed and at peace. This is what Fumerie Turque reminds ds me of. Days spent lounging without a care in the world, smoking shisha pipe and eating pancakes. This is what this scent smells of, the beautiful odour of the honeyed tobacco across the hot coals, and the pancakes dripping with syrup and spice.
Thank you to the fragantician below me , Deefit. For enabling me to relive these memories.

Deefit
Deefit

It was not at all the tobacco scent that I had imagined it to be. Some people had compared it to Odori Tabacco, but this is much more dry. And less sweet. It does last an incredibly long time. I believe it lasted over 20 hours on my skin. I have tried the current formulation bell jar on one hand and the rectangular bottle on the other hand, I found that the perfume from the rectangular bottle projected longer and a little better than the perfume from the bell jar. They were also slightly different, although I'd attribute that to a batch difference, rather than reformulation.

I'm soooo dismayed
50ml bottle discontinued!!!! WHY?
soooo Where will I be able to get my fix ????

Fumerie Turque...
Is nothing but Pure Pleasure...pure, Rich pleasure in a bottle.
Sweet, Intoxicating Exotic Tobacco laced with Tonka Bean and Honey and Leather.

Avail at BARNEYS NY
SERGE LUTENS
Fumerie Turque Cloche - 75 Ml
$300
This product is only available for purchase at the Madison Avenue Store

Pinnacos
Pinnacos

The 50ml bottles of this fragrances have been retired. I believe the only way you can buy this now (aside from a private sale or through luck on eBay) is in a 75ml bell jar directly from Paris. As you're probably well aware, they're not cheap.

I liked this scent when I tried it but liked vintage Lapidus Pour Homme (1987) a bit more and didn't see the need for both.

petrhsr
petrhsr

I get honey, and a tiny whiff of cigarette smoke. I'm disappointed by this scent. For smoke, I'll get my Declaration Essence out.

markjcretella
markjcretella

I don't have anything really new to add regarding the notes. I get the honeyed pipe tobacco, I'm just not sure I can love Fumerie Turque due to the strong vanilla that comes into play during the drydown. Same deal I have with Ambre Sultan, I really wish the vanilla was toned down a level or two. That being said, I have a bottle from the mid 2000s, so I'm very hesitant to put it up for sale. And I do like it, I just don't love it. Good projection, very good longevity. My rating 8.0

Colin Maillard
Colin Maillard

As for many other Lutens', the name fits the scent quite good. A beautiful, dusty, balsamic and spicy opening of tobacco leaves, smooth leather and vanilla, honey notes, a rose heart which eventually becomes more dense and brighter, and as OdilonRedon perfectly suggests on Basenotes, a "caramelized amber" note on delicate, but still dry patchouli leaves. Polar opposites melt, balsamic heights and gloomy bitter earthy shadows just become one. A woody, smoky tiny old boutique stuffed with herbs and spices – a Lutensian cliché, well developed here as well. What I enjoy the most is the palpable, material dustiness, a hyeratic soul which is at the same time delicate and elegant, with a subtle but beautiful floral-fruity personality. A lot of facets and shades covered in smoke, like looking a mosaic-like coloured glass in an Oriental herbal/chemist laboratory. The smoke eventually vanishes and you get a soothing, calm, relaxing drydown of vanilla, honey, light suede leather and silky tobacco notes, still much dusty, velvety, slightly earthy. It is a really evocative scent, with a great balance of notes. But... all that is also a bit "pale" and light - it feels like they've missed the Volume button. If you do not pay utter attention, the first impression you may get is just of a "decent sweet-floral-dusty-silky-tobacco skin-scent": all the notes are there, you just have to make quite an effort to feel them. I bet an extrait of this would be a masterpiece. For the moment, this is just great, this close to magnificent.

Jack_Hunter
Jack_Hunter

This opens with a clean sterile like honeyed smoke and suede accord. This is closely followed by a pipe tobacco note.

On the opening the smoky honey accord does smell like it has gone through a hookah pipe. As it has that clean watery smoky aspect to it nature.

Very well done but just not to my taste.

Scentmad
Scentmad

Yummy. Smokey, sweet soft fudgy pipe tobacco. I took delivery today and I LOVE it. I also received a wodge of wax samples of the entire collection by the looks of it but that aside, this perfume is lovely. It’s akin to Ambre Sultan (I am a slave to AS) but with a Shalimar powdery quality that makes this a really REALLY delicious concoction. On my skin it sings.

Eurochic
Eurochic

** this review is for the original formula**
FT opens with smoke, smoke, and more smoke. The smoke is very dry and thick, almost tangible. I hate cigarettes and cigarette smoke, but this is a lovely smelling smoke. I compare it with the smoke from incense sticks: thick, dry, tangible, almost stifling and choking, but deliciously sweet and fragrant, and I can't get enough of it. Sometimes after I burn incense and I come back into the room, the air still feels dry and smokey: that's what I get in the top of FT. I can also detect a bit of hay.
The dry smokey smell lingers, and gradually the sweet notes come forward. There is also something earthy, which is probably the patchouli . This is the good kind of patchouli, maybe a bit similar to the patch in Coromandel, but less fresh and bitter, much softer. Still the smoke remains the most prominent note to me.
As I get to the drydown, the scent is still dry and a little smokey, but it is no longer stifling, it has settled to something rather dusty or powdery and with a sweet fragrance, which reminds me a bit of sugar almonds (maybe the tonka bean?), and chamomile tea with honey. In many perfumes honey is animalic and sometimes reminds people of a urine note, but in FT the honey is soft, gentle, sweet, a mere teaspoonful in chamomile tea, nothing dirty or sour. I can also detect a bit of a dusty rose, just enough for me (I'm not a big fan of big roses in perfume). I can't smell the leather note though.
The general "feel" of the drydown is the same I get in Keiko Mecheri's Loukhoum: the powdery dry smokey sweetness that is so addictive. I'm not saying FT is similar to Loukhoum, Loukhoum is 100 times sweeter than FT, it's just that feeling I get.
Fumerie Turque is a big LOVE for me.

thehanna
thehanna

It does definitely smell like hookah but in a nice way. Or a heavy sweet honey scent with pipe tobacco. There are some other subtleties but this is the driving force of it.

I think a gourmand, vanilla or amber lover who likes tobacco and honey would love this. There is a touch of cashmeran-like woods but not enough woods to satisfy someone looking for a woodsy tobacco scent.

lanuitblanche
lanuitblanche

This is the most glorious honeyed smoke I have ever smelled. Is it true that it's discontinued?? No!!!

fuggerone
fuggerone

sensual tobacco patchouly combo... sensual and bordering on gourmand.. masculine indeed!

Thee Arabian Knight
Thee Arabian Knight

Does this really smell like hookah? Because I loooooove hookah.

Fábio Condé
Fábio Condé

Realistic!
A tobacco velvety and also really smoky, seems to be on a pipe, it seems that was lit on fire and then extinguished, so this is very original touch of smoke.
Chamomile with honey give a balanced and calm so accurate, a masterpiece!

Serge Lutens' Fumerie Turque rivals Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille in lots of ways. They're not altogether similar, but they both share that sweet tobacco vibe that is so addictive and sensual on the skin.

You could call this fragrance a 'love at first sniff'. As a former smoker, having quit years ago, I do still adore that rich, smoky aroma of tobacco. I'm talking raw tobacco, in its most potent form. Fumerie Turque represents this note well, having it further complimented by sweet, gooey honey, dusty patchouli and luscious vanilla.

Fumerie Turque is definitely unisex. It would smell equally as sexy on either gender. I love it with all its complexity and boldness. It would make an excellent night-time fragrance during Winter and Autumn.

Seeing that this is a rather potent scent, a light application is rather important. Skin chemistry also plays a part, so I would definitely recommend thoroughly testing this fragrance before making a purchase.

Very rarely do I come across a fragrance I instantly fall in love with. Fumerie Turque stands out a mile in comparison to other scents I've tried in the last few months. It has been the highlight of my week finding this little gem. Alongside Sarrasins, Fumerie Turque is by far my favourite from Serge Lutens. To say I need it in my life would be an understatement.

Plucus21
Plucus21

I enjoy tobacco as much as the next man but this scent smelled like an old ashtray. LITERALLY! Take an ashtray full of cigarette ashes and a little bit of honey and you have this fragrance.

I think there are fragrance connoisseurs who appreciate a fragrance for being unique, but unique and smelling good are two different things. Anyone that says that this smells good to the average person is lying to you!

carlosrafael
carlosrafael

People approach fragrances in different manners which shapes their expectations and reviews. I don't only approach fragrances from the stand point of smelling the best I can afford and pleasing others. Many people, myself included, measure a fragrance by the extend other people rate it. But when it comes to niche fragrances, however, I seek something more. I seek for those rare compositions that hit something special in my psyche. Very rarely do I find one that remounts my mind and memories to places, evoke emotions, and basically transport myself to a different state of being.

This is what SL's FT does for me. Like SL's Santal de Mysore, Fumerie Turque brings out a very selfish feeling in me. FT is all for me and my liking it without caring for its likeability or approval by others because the composition calls me uniquely. FT takes me into a journey to the orient and the middle east and evokes sentiments of being in a trip to far away places. This one is so beautiful and transforming that I can wear it easily all day long at home without any desire to show it off, impress others, or seek their complements. One should be so lucky to find a fragrance every now and then that uniquely identifies with one's self in this way.

For men seeking a tobacco composition, FT will draw complements and the attention of others. This is a regal tobacco composition imbued with a dosage of exotic spices and fragrant middle eastern notes Hypnotic, beguiling and captivating.

timetraveller
timetraveller

Dirty Tobacco, some honey, a bit of leather, smoke and maybe a spit or two...that's what I feel Fumerie Turque is.

I like the scenes that this smell makes me think of.

I agree with those who think of jazz clubs at 4 a.m., when musicians are getting drunk on the tables with their leather suitcases at their feet.

Waiters are cleaning glasses, hookers looking for their last client and a writer watching the whole scene with a bottle of bourbon on the table and a shortened pencil and a dirty moleskine notebook in his hands.

I think this is a scent for enjoy by yourself while reading a book at home or writing something in a Starbucks imagining some kind of dirty night story.

One of the best Lutens' I've tried.

tonkabeanster
tonkabeanster

Positively narcotic. Nothing but deliciously honeyed smoke and oiled leather, grounded by a throaty masculine patchouli. In a perfect world, this is what still warm, cast-off clothing would smell like after a few rounds of lovemaking in front of the fireplace.

Want to play the sexy, mysterious stranger in black, but found Tobacco Vanille too sweet and the multitude of aoud/incense fragrances too unapproachable? This is the one you want.

(So of course it had to be discontinued.)

antfarm
antfarm

This doesn't smell exotic or like sweet pipe tobacco to me at all. It smells like the house of someone who smokes cigars and chews tobacco all day long while splashing Aquavelva every ten minutes, like they have OCD.

It smells like a wealthy older man who has maybe lost a marble or two. He keeps splashing that Aquavelva on both himself and the cocoa-brown leather recliner and putting his cigars out against the wood-paneled wall. It smells completely gorgeous on one of my friends, but on me, it is "eau de eccentric uncle".

mippymuppett
mippymuppett

This scent of juniper berries & chamomile are dancing with the tobacco and roses...not heady roses just a light rose that blends beautifully with the honey. The scent while strong and a little overbearing at first mellows rather quickly and becomes quite sexy. I know that is a strange way to describe this but I love the dry down. Comforting and a little naughty without going to the extreme of raunchy.

iMaverick

I don't know if it's my sense of smell or that it's because, Fumerie Turque, as I've read, has gone through a slight change since it's creation because my view of this scent is totally different than what many have described.

To me, FT starts off innocent enough, a sweet and inviting smell of berries and a touch of rose, which quickly moves into a carnal and almost garish smell of something musky, as if Chanel No. 5 in Parfum strength was injected with steroids. I imagine it might be castoreum or something in the animalic musk category. There's also powdery notes and of tobacco, not the green type, but of the dried type left in a dusty storage room.

To me, FT is not smoky at all, but an unabashed bottle of raunchy sex. I admire its vulgarity, but I cringe at how the animalic notes are so unrelenting. It's an "I love you, but I'm scared of you" type of scent for me.

Honeyed pipe tobacco and leather joined by slight floral patterns. This is what I get during the opening. After that, a smoky ambery vanilla base breaks in and drives the fragrance towards an endless yet quite linear drydown. Smells good and very well balanced but it's way too far from being a standout in such an imponent and influential line-up of fragrances.

Rating: 6.5-7/10

Dark and mysterious truly oriental smoked tobacco fragrance!

Most of all I feel the tobacco, smoked leather and vanilla notes in this fragrance. Actually, this combination of the smoked leather note with the tobacco note brings me not pleasant associations. I like sometimes a tobacco scent, but, frankly speaking, I don't want to smell like an inveterate smoker, because this fragrance really brings exactly such kind of associations. That is why I decided that I will not use this fragrance. Besides, the vanilla note makes this combination more unpleasant by its yummy sweetness.

I can only say that in general this fragrance is complex and interesting enough, deep and intensive like most of the fragrances by Serge Lutens.

And unfortunately, I can't say that it reminds me about my awesome traveling to Turkey a lot. The fragrance is really very oriental, but I miss something reminding me special Turkish atmosphere.

It's enchanting enough. Just not for me.

stockers
stockers

I absolutely get the Tom Waits vibe mentioned earlier! Smoky jazz clubs certainly come to mind. Personally, I love the tobacco/leather mix but I can see it might be an aquired taste. Unique, challenging, but weirdly romantic, too.

pb0330
pb0330

i also just got a sample of this and i'm so glad it was just a sample. the only thing i smell from this is tobacco and tonka bean. didn't like it at all.

kkoun
kkoun

A masterpiece. Art in a bottle. The first spray I witnessed how realistically it transforms into a pure smoke. You can smell it but cant see it. It brought a smile on my face. Its the best smoke perfume ever. Dried fruits and beeswax are delicious and lend a gourmandic feel to it. Very nutty as well. Sweet but not cloying at all. Smoke keeps it light and airy yet complete and strong. Tobacco and leather give this a body. A very well balanced perfume. I quickly got my hands on a bottle after trying a sample and learning it won't be available anywhere except their boutique in France. It lasts for days on fabric. This smoke does remind of a smoking hookah pipe. Splendid.
Verdict: Really?! 10/10

jeffwithfrags
jeffwithfrags

Ug, thank goodness for sampling!

For me, a straight up nose curler, and the 2nd SL fragrance to do so (Chergui being the other).

Hideously smokey at the start, a 'kind' of very strong 'Arabian' smoke that doesn't take my fancy one bit! But I put Arabian in quotes because I feel it's quite an insult to it, straight speaking.

This is no portrayal of the sweet, airy, light and gentle wispy tendrils of the East I know of. Not in slightest.

I also hope this isn't trying to recreate a near-Shisha bar experience because it fails woefully from the very first second! It's brash, unforgiving and relentless.

Where is the addicting, appley fruit? Or sweetened, inscensey cherries?

Just beneath the choking fumes, there is some faint honey, leather and woods.

I never got the fresh, sweet tobacco I was looking forwards to, nothing like Ford's Tobacco Vanille. This is dry, dusty and all a pretty pathetic mess!

Whimpering smoke, almost like it cannot make up it's mind whether to sweeten up or go full-chimney mode and in the end, failing miserably do be smoothly distinct in any way.

Redcurrant? I mean, seriously?

A fruit listed for what in reality should be the icon of a *100 fully in-use ashtrays* ,, half the size of this page??

Again like Chergui, it very verrrry slowly develops into very nice creamy/hay/amber like notes, but the smoke never fully dissipates/clears, and the whole experience is ruined.

We also pay good money for some half-appealing Top notes Mr Sheldrake. Remember those?

Another example to be *very wary of a note list,, however well-informed it may be.

A scrubber, and a £80 one at that,, no, no way. Easily one of the most hideous 'big House' scents I've ever sampled. What was Mr Sheldrake thinking,, or smoking rather??

Possibly a new low for Niches.

Try Creed's Tabarome instead for tobacco; house of true quality without the scary, gag-inducing openings - or for a closer fit to the smoke, go with TF Tobacco Oud, it's not bad.

My rating: 2/10 (being very generous!)

Vincents1278
Vincents1278

This is a unique scent with great longevity and complexity. It may be a bit sweet for some but the tobacco and leather notes really stand out and mellow to something mature as time passes. For example, I sprayed some on my arm and neck today (one spray each). I am wearing a long sleeve shirt and it is 3pm. I can still smell it on my forearm (7 hours). The dry down reminds me of an old English library where classy men are allowed to smoke rich cavendish blends in their Dunhill pipes. Wood, paper, leather, tobacco, honey. Lovely. Can't find it anywhere nowadays. Good luck getting a bottle in the States.

steveniox
steveniox

Received my sample this morning and applied it immediately. I've been wearing this now for approximately 2 or 3 hours. Initially I get a blast of honey, (wow so much honey!) and tonka bean with just a hint of sweet tobacco. The smell is very reminiscent of hay... It's been like this for all this time. Only just now is the smokey tobacco starting to come through more with just a hint of leather and the honey beginning to recede slightly. It is starting to weaken however and the sillage, which was quite large on first application, has reduced considerably, but it is still noticeable. Shall have to see how the rest of this fragrance pans out...

EDIT: 3-4 hours.

The honey is still a predominant component to this perfume, casting its influence over the leather and smoke, however now the rose has finally started to come through - the moment I've been waiting for! It's definitely a beautiful fragrance, I don't want it to end...

sky76sky
sky76sky

Fierce, sweet & savoury oriental enrobed in veils of smoke. If you are looking for the pervasive perfume of a Nargile lounge you have found it.

An almalgum of old-fashioned, rose-scented powder compacts, club smoke machines, pot pourri, old church pews & dust assaults my senses on first blast. My initial view of this scent is far from favourable - but wait, the magic is yet to begin!

Within minutes a curl of smoke snakes from my skin - I can almost feel the dry heat from the burning coals. It is intense, realistic & I love it.

Can you powder puff charcoal smoke? I believe Christopher Sheldrake has succeeded! FT settles into a more tame, smokey, balsamic scent of sweet tobacco, hay, candlewax with a touch of refined (not animalic) leather & warm skin. The sillage is inoffensive but the lasting power is good.

If you don't do somersaults for intense smokey scents - steer clear. I adore the scent of bonfire on my skin, love the smell of smouldering charcoal before the BBQ begins & the sweet, fragrant smoke from a Hookah pipe. This fragrance has my nose a-twitch.

In summation: truly a "'fume", an ode to the Nargile. A dense, dry, smokey scent with a touch of brown sugar sweetness & spice. Magic, daggers, smoke & mirrors - hooked.

girasolina
girasolina

sorry for my english!!heard today, just sprayed always try to wait twenty minutes before smelling and preventing injury and not receive the shock of wood on which I have many expectations. After four hours now, I can say that it is a pleasant building in the style of Lutens but I have yet to study it, I agree with the reviewer who compared it to jazz, hard fragrance, very dense with notes...I will keep under observation ..

Nosina

All I can add is that for me Fumerie Turque is an excellent conforting winter and WE perfume that feels a little trashy in the beginning. I can't wait until the heart opens half an hour later with warm leather and rose. Usually I hate rose in perfume but this one is delicate and makes the whole smoky leather effect so pleasant and warming. Lasting power is amazing (more than 12 hours). However I never wear it out of home. It's too strong on my skin. It's not a perfume for buziness meetings when I would prefer wearing Cuir de Russie layered with Feminité du bois, both more elegant than Fumerie Turque. This one goes with a self confident hippy outfit...

edooardo
edooardo

Well, let me share my experience with Fumerie:

- My wife told me it is a smell of an past due perfume, a female perfume of roses, a fragrance that was bought 115 years ago + a strong smell of an ASH TRAY that was never cleaned.

- My co-worker hates the perfume because it smells a strong smell of GLYCERINE used in fog-machines at nightclubs.

- I like it a lot because:
=> Its uniqueness.
=> Another name could be OLD CURTAINS OF THE BURLESQUE CABARET.
=> It has good sillage and excellent longevity.
=> Fumerie Turque REALLY BRINGS Turkish Cigar Store.

- I can wear it only when I go walk alone or when I am reading something at my library...

Mr. Doody
Mr. Doody

Been wearing this today. While I'm impressed with it in the abstract, I'm not falling in love with it. It's well built, clearly high-quality, and is very nice from initial application all the way through drydown. But it's rather sweet. Not in a sicky-sweet-candy kind of way, but in a "why are you trying to de-emphasize the tobacco?" way. The honey and vanilla are great, but IMO they're just too much, and they push it over the line from "tobacco with a sweetener" to "sweetened tobacco". I (think I) totally grok what SL is going for here, and it's laudable and expertly executed. I just prefer my tobacco with more kick, I guess!

KFried
KFried

When I was little, I would sometimes crack open my father's little humidor to take a peek at his cigars. Fumergie Turque reminds me very much of that. It's an earthy sweet smell, dried tobacco leaf. The leather is the next thing I notice, and the honey is very subtle on me.

I wore this today while outside raking leaves and it seemed to fit. The longer it's on my skin the more I enjoy it. While it is pleasant and complex, I don't picture myself wearing this in public very often.

yabadu
yabadu

Well, after trying this I can honestly say it was a huge disappointment for me.
Really hoped SL would come up with something better than this...
It smells more of an unpleasent incense smell to me and I guess i'm not an incese type.
Plus, even though it's quite strong, smells more feminin than masculin in my opinion.

illwit
illwit

*********. With respect to All *********

I bought the bottle and I have different opinion to what being written about fumerie turque.

Cons:
1) Top note is very unusual smell, just imagine eating honey in a room full of smoke. Yuk
2) The base note is powdery and smells like ladies makeup. This is pros for ladies.
3) The smell has no defined character, very dynamic. Need very long time to reach the base note. This might be pros for ppl like long dynamic scent.

Pros:
1) Nothing comes immediately to my mind, let me think for a while.
2) Extremely unique scent. Can't think of it's duplicate or similar one.
3) Very strong projection, very noticeable.
4) Quality raw ingredients.
5) Even if you are sitting alone, you feel you are with a woman. A woman with lot of makeup on. LoL, sorry I am being honest.

Small advice=======> don't make a blind buy. Spray a sample and wait till the next day.
Actually you may luv it as many do. Everyone seems luving it except me and my wife :)

oh, last info ************ it is sooooo feminine ***************

Scentrist
Scentrist

I so wanted to find this for a while, and a couple months ago I managed to find it at Barney's. The good news was that they had it, though it was the last bottle and opened. I tried a sample and within minutes I was completely captivated by this.

It was the sweet smell of honey and spices along with tobacco, and really captures the essence of a hookah bar. This was the most robust yet sweet smell I could imagine, a truly gourmand tobacco scent. The combination with tonka bean, suede, rose, spices, juniper berries and red currant is one of a kind. This is a simply gorgeous and elegant scent, reminiscent of a gentleman's club with worn leather chairs the the smell of fresh tobacco from a pipe.

What an adventure! This is a fragrance that will have you smelling your wrist all day, reminding you and transporting the wearer to a fabulous journey.

Nosina

I love it and do not find it masculine at all. It is less elegant than Cuir de Russie by Chanel, but you can easily wear it during a cold day. It is a conforting sweet leather scent with a hint of sweet tabacco and honey. The rubbery leather part only last 10 minutes. Then the scent turns into a warm oriental leather cloud that last for the entire day. It is a must try on skin only as it turned out quite different on 2 of my girl friends who tried it the same day: for one it dissappeared in an hour, for the other it kept turning into a sour berry direction.

Fiferstone
Fiferstone

I received a sample from The Perfumed Court this Friday and have given it a test-drive for a couple of days, it's one I'm definitely going to have to get. I love the tobacco top-note, it's very recognizably tobacco without (at least on me) being "dirty ashtray, stale cigarrette smoke" tobacco. It's a gorgeous tobacco opening that develops into a sweet without being candied or cloying heart, with the signature SL drydown. I find does not project very far on me, stays pretty close to the skin. It's not overpowering or heavy. I'm a woman and I'd have no problem wearing this. The opening kinda/sorta reminds me of what Shalimar's tobacco note used to be.

saint james
saint james

Fumerie Turque is one of my top 5 frags. I use this very sparingly because it is no longer available in the USA. It is very smoky and lucious on my skin. I absolutely love the drydown on myskin. It is a noticeable, smokey tabacco scent that is better than at first spritz and the process to that point.

Not expensive considering what this scent does for me. Just 3 days ago, I was getting out of my car on a breezy day and a woman walking by, stopped, turned around and said; "You smell great!" It made my day and I fell in love with this gem all over again.

Oslo-fjord
Oslo-fjord

I respect this fragrance deeply, but I don`t think I will walk around smelling like sweet tobacco and honey..

HappyShopper123
HappyShopper123

Initially I get the smoke in abundance. I love smoky fragrances, especially CB I Hate Perfume's Fire from Heaven, so I was pleased with the initial scent. The dry down was rather unusual, the perfume became more spicy and I started to detect hints of cumin. I couldn't help but wish for the initial scent to continue as it was. Fumerie Turque is extremely longlasting, though sillage is quite subtle throughout.

sofiii
sofiii

Fumerie Turque starts with a blast of sweet, dry woody sweetness, which makes me think of old house with a lot of wood furniture which hasn’t been open for a while. Within seconds, the monotone clean woody smell is masked by a quite herbal medicine-like, kinda patchouli-infused, slightly tart liquorice candy smell.

Then it goes like liquorice plus a tiny bit hint of burnt rubber (like that from Blvgari Black) for a while.
The dry down is just a tamed, less edgy/pushy version of the above, without the liquorice or the rubber; it smells like an old wooden box which has been used to store potent, earthy essential oils.

Fumerie Turque gives me a déjà vu feel, seems there are several niches smell of this woody dry woods and earthy smell. Interesting experience to try it on, however I find it quite difficult to wear, especially for people in their early 20s, as well as for girly girls (actually I find Fumerie Turque is really masculine, much more masculine than quite a lot of the late releases of the commercial men's perfumes), somehow Fumerie Turque is just a tad too deep, dark and earthy, I would imagine a professor/grandpa figure wearing casual suits, possiblely with a leather briefcase, might smell like this in a cool, grey autumn morning.

Interesting experience nevertherless.

Parfumista2010
Parfumista2010

Come on baby light my fire :-) *pfff* *pfff*

Fumerie Turque is the smokiest frag I have ever smelled and I adore it.
There is a huge difference between slightly smoky and full-blast smoky. FT is the latter without the shadow of a doubt.
Cigar was mentioned earlier and it is true. Pipe-tobacco smells different and so do cigarettes.

It is the kind of smoke you encounter in gloomy bars late at night, the jazz club image fits perfectly here.

On me FT develops only with a hint of sweetness, honey or beeswax remain in the very background, if noticeable at all. It is plain smoke lingering and sending me an association of the long-gone film noire era.

Fumerie Turque is Duke Ellington´s "Harlem Nocturne" for the nose. Sultry, gloomy, bohemien and addictive....it is the kind of scent that both Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart would have loved to wear.

Just for the record : I am still a non-smoker but loving this nevertheless.

Nat13
Nat13

My first thought was 'oh, god, it smells like I just lit a cigar', so this could be offensive to some noses!

The overwhelming note throughout is smoke, tho with different accords surfacing in combination throughout.

Initially, a sweet tobacco alongside the smoke likens one's personal atmosphere to that of a refined gentleman's lounge. I imagine the type of scent that would have greeted Jack in the the Titanic had he have ditched Rose after dinner and joined the other men in the smoking room for cigars, brandy, and congratulating themselves on being 'masters of the universe'.

Later I wondered if I just smelt like I'd been standing down wind from a bon fire, ... but no it is more refined than that, but I hope that gives an idea of just how smoky we are talking about here.

As it dries down the sweetness of the tobacco gives way to what I would describe as a coffee liquer, or even coffe beans in dark chocolate. (I know that is not in the notes, but that is how it smells to me.)The smokiness becomes very mellow at this point and blends more smoothly with the base notes than the top notes.

I'm really liking the dry down here, but not loving the opening. Either way tho, not something I would wear again.

Although touted as unisex, I would call this very definately masculine - and too much for a woman imo.

Edit - btw, I see it has wore off quickly on some people, ...I tho could still smell this on my skin 24 hours later. Huge sillage too - Definately a walk through scent I think.

elusivek
elusivek

This is an interesting perfume. It says it is for women but it is decidedly masculine. I love unisex scents and don't know that I'd qualify it as even unisex.

It opens with incense, aldehyde, vanilla and beeswax. It continues on with a smokey note, leather, raw tobacco and berry (currant in this case).

I do not actively pick up on the jasmine or rose.

I used to work in a tobacco shop and this reminds me of the flavored tobacco kept in a leather pouch. Rich, aromatic, sweet, moist, berry flavored raw tobacco, with leather in the background.

It's interesting and authentic but I think better suited for men to wear or women who want to be reminded of their dad or gramp (or if you've ever worked in a smokeshop).

Pure Pleasure...
pure, Rich pleasure in a bottle.
Sweet, Intoxicating Exotic Tobacco laced with Tonka Bean and Honey and Leather.
I want to say sooo much more ....
but it would just be repetitive to what everybody has been saying about this fragrance....
Go out and BUY IT!!!
You'll be glad you did ...
That Simple.....!!

Fumerie Turque Notes:
Corinthian Raisins from Greece,
Rare Hawaiian Organic White Honey, Turkish Rose Oil, Egyptian Jasmine, Smoked Leather, Beeswax, Balkan Tobacco from CYPRUS, Peru Balsam from El Salvador,Patchouli,Tonka Bean from French Guiana, Styrax,
Juniper Berry oil.

Just a yummy scent all around .....

fpih
fpih

When I first bought it, I was disappointed because it was not as good as I remembered it. I wore it nonetheless, but the more I wore it the more I liked it. After a week of feeling so and so about it, I started really liking it. Now, a month after my purchase, this has become my HG and my most used perfume. I can't say how much I love this perfume: it's cosy, calming, serene and addictive without being sweet or cloying. I can't stop smelling my wrist while wearing this and it lasts and lasts all day, although it stays close to the skin all the time. All I can smell is tobacco and vanille and just maybe a hint of honey. It's certainly not the most feminine of smells, but being a person who doesn't like to smell like others do or as others would expect me to (I certainly look like a florals' person) I find this my ideal perfume. The only other perfumes that have moved me as much and stuck with me for months were Passage d'Enfers and Ambre Fetiche.

Definitely worth trying more than once, since it might require some time to get used to. Surprisingly too, others have liked it on me from the start, as it reminds them of an elegant, classy and very slightly masculine soap. This is all I wanted the Chergui to be, which alas is way too sweet for me to love.

lulllull
lulllull

When I wear Fumerie Turque I think of Tom Waits. In my imagination, this is his perfume of choice. Smoky, melancholic, decadent, a bit difficult like jazz sometimes can be.

This is beautiful, a magnificent variation on smoke.

Listen to anything by mr Waits, because that is how this perfume smells.
BEAUTIFUL!

Doc Elly
Doc Elly

I sampled this one yesterday, and liked it well enough. It's a complex melange of notes that are sweet, fruity, a little smokey and leathery and foody, with quite a bit of rose at the center. Unfortunately the scent didn't last very long, a few hours at most. I like my perfumes to have strong base notes that linger on my skin all day, but Fumerie Turque seems to be all about making a grand entrance and leaving shortly thereafter. This one will have to get another trial.

nisipici
nisipici

I know balsam is not listed, but balsam is totally what I get from the drydown. Ironically, the balsam is what led me to loving this one.

moongdss
moongdss

When i smelled this, it was if I were in a gentleman's wood-paneled library, sitting on a vintage leather sofa as old books slowly released the scent of a recently smoked pipe.

Gorgeous scent journey... not certain if I'd like to wear this one yet, or if I'd rather smell it on my boyfriend. And I'm a big Tom Ford fan for wearing myself... so I'm not shy about 'masculine' scents... just unsure if smelling like a pip-smoked, wood paneled library leather sofa is my thing LOL

iMaverick

I think Fumerie Turque is one of the most beautiful creations ever.

Beautiful accords of juniper and chamomile at the top are then joined by the sweet yet bright fruity note of currants that deepen further as the scent progresses to rich notes of tobacco, patchouli, honey, suede and styrax.

Magnificent, absolutely MAGNIFICENT!

eljayebee
eljayebee

I finally found a Serge Lutens scent that likes me! I have tested so many, but they all start out nice and then almost disappear. The descriptions of this one intrigued me, even tho my husband and I are life-long non-smokers. But it doesn't really smell of tobacco, just a spicy, smoky scent. Doesn't seem to change much with the dry down, stays strong and interesting for hours. A winner, we both agreed.

rebella
rebella

I do enjoy smoking water pipe (hookah) once in a while, and the top notes of Fumerie Turque is so realistic that I even feel the taste of pulverised charcoal in my mouth. Very smoky, interesting and still both soft and lingering opening. I feel like I´ve just enjoyed a great, tast turkish dinner and ends the feast with smoking hookah and eat loads of turkish bakery, baklava and much to much of turkish delight, loukhoum. I´ve sit back on soft, velvet pillows and there is candles and insence burning and gold laced glasses filled with hot and sweet turkish tea. Like being a part of romatic and adevntourus orientalic story, like Thousand and one nights, maybe... but not as good as Sherazadeh to tell stories, even tough Fumerie Turque help my imagination a lot on the way.

Have you tried it? No? What are you waiting for, get a samples asap!

VioletLily
VioletLily

Fumerie Turque is a velvet jacket after a clumsy evening in a very smokey bar. The scent of the smoke and a soft pink musk and incense perfume left on the fibres, along with an accidently tipped up tray of fresh cigarette ash and the dried splashes of straight rum from someone's glass after being bumped into. Oddly enough, it's rather gorgeous. Especially on the drydown, it's a soft incense. Reminds me a little of Cartier Le Baiser du Dragon, but not as starkly sweet and with a little added huskiness.

Sweet tobacco and wood dries through to a strange sharp tobacco stage into a smokey, leather vanilla with spice and resins. It's stunning. It tells a story as it dries down, one of the most layered and well blended perfumes I've come across in years. It's not floral or foody in any way, not pretty at all, but it is immensely compelling and a compulsive wrist-sniffer. One of my all time favorites.

scalaczek
scalaczek

I thought that Caron's "Aimez-moi" has the most beautiful tabbaco note ever - well, I was wrong. Fumerie Turque is neatly oscillating between honey's sweetness and tobacco's vulgarity. A strong candidate for my signature scent.

PerfumeEmpress
PerfumeEmpress

I'm dying to try this one. I tried SL's Miel du Bois and absolutely loved it. I love any scent that has honey in it.