Designers » R S » Woody Floral Musk « Groups

Gris Clair Serge Lutens for women and men

Gris Clair Serge Lutens for women and men
dislike

I have it: 569 I had it: 145 I want it: 459 My signature: 11

Gris Clair Serge Lutens for women and men Pictures Gris Clair Serge Lutens for women and men Pictures Gris Clair Serge Lutens for women and men Pictures

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens is a Woody Floral Musk fragrance for women and men. Gris Clair was launched in 2006. The nose behind this fragrance is Christopher Sheldrake. The fragrance features iris, tonka bean, amber, lavender, woodsy notes and incense.

iris Tonka Bean Amber Lavender Woodsy Notes Incense

Encens et Lavande

Gris Clair Fragrance Reviews

Bee-young-ka
Bee-young-ka

First impression: lavender scent.
Nothing wrong with a good quality lavender but even so this was kind of expensive I thought, Oh well, off to work. By the end of my shift I had almost asked two customers what wonderful scent they were wearing only to discover I was smelling Gris Clair on myself.
The lavender note settles but never leaves entirely but what it turns into is magnificent.
Unisex yet undeniably floral, I don’t think a man or woman under 30 could pull this off. It’s a very grown up scent.
It has moments of a granny vintage like vibe if your granny was Zsa Zsa Gabor that is.

This doesn’t feel sexy; it’s too refined to be naughty. Too cool to be cheeky. .
What a winner, I spritz some on and turn to the mirror to tell myself with full confidence
“Now I smell fabulous”.

Germany
Germany

As a regular lavender lover this is right up my alley ! Sooooo good , very aromatic and soothing herbal sweet lavender scent. I am in love ! This is my first bottle and won't be my last. It's not far off another favourite of mine , taste of heaven by Kilian , they share many notes and have the same character for sure.
Oh how to describe this beautiful perfume ??? It's a perfume for people that love the outdoors and nature. It's the smell of my childhood in the Austrian Mountains. It brings me back to happy carefree moments in my life. My father and mother and siblings ,not having a worry in the word. It's happiness in a bottle. Gris Clair has a minty , medicinal sweetness of lavender and a herbal balsamic woodyness. It's almost a gourmand lavender , just like TOH ,I love the vanilla ,amber , Tonka smell , it gets so warm and rounded and cozy it's hard to describe. It's definitely soothing relaxing and happy to my senses , it's very aromatic and I would say one of my favourite lavenders ever. Jersey being the other and taste of heaven .
Gris Clair even tops them all it's just so mesmerizing it feels like a warm mountain breeze , also a good snuggle scent after a long hard day. I am in heaven when I smell this. It's aroma therapy for me. Truly one of the best !

Platinum1
Platinum1

~ This to my nose is what the true "taste of heaven" is! It evokes in my mind riding on a comforting smokey cloud of incense and pleasant lavender. It also carries my nose away to what it would be like to inhale deeply in the middle of an actual field of lavender with the early morning chimney smoke of a nearby cozy cottage rising in the background. This Sheldrake creation is definitely an all~season pleasant scent that is very safe and not challenging at all for me. As my first S.L. full bottle Gris Clair has made another classy choice as a personal pleasant companion during my daily chores of yard work, quiet times reading or even present an air of debonair with a suit and tie at my place of worship....how fitting for a true taste of heaven.
Kind Regards, Plat ~

gtabasso
gtabasso

There is no wood, smoke or incense in this. Are people crazy? In brief, fleeting top notes there is lavender and ambergris. It's dry, herbal and salty. Then, quickly sweetness rises. There's still a hint of lavender. Faint. But, it smells gourmand like some baking or cooking spice I can't place. Maybe pure vanilla extract with a little boozy note.

ameagari
ameagari

I'm entirely shocked at this, i've smelt a lot of "smokey" fragrances, but this legitimately smells like the most beautifully fragrant burning wood. i was smelling it and i felt heat on my hand--thats how realistic it felt to my senses. i had to remind myself my hand wasn't actually on fire--LOL
i get an intensely medicinal lavender incense dominating this, with everything else in the back. it's a really fascinating scent, and it reminds me why lutens is one of my favourite houses: his scents take you on olfactory experiences. i don't have much occasions to wear this, but its really awesome for what it is.

Lemon Lime
Lemon Lime

A very decent creation by Serge Lutens.

Melancholic, fresh, chilly and pungent lavender opening bringing in mind the first cold days of Autumn when I had to go back to school ! In about 20 minutes a hint of smoke along with the discreet appearance of woods and spices softens the bitter harshness of lavender and Gris Clair turns into an easy going creamy and smooth, woody lavender scent that lasts for hours.

A great choice when the weather is warm and I need to socialize with people smelling clean, fresh and confident with just enough elegance and sophistication.

Inspirational.

P.S. I must admit that there are many instances when Gris Clair reminds me of Aqua Velva, an after-shave my dad used to wear back in the 70's !

nparr1984
nparr1984

This is one of my favorite fragrances, and when I wear it I can't stop sniffing it. Normally, my type is woody/resinous fragrances with a citrus top-note; this is the most floral thing that I've liked. It is very "lavender," of course, but underneath that it is dark, spicy, smoky.

So, I have to agree that it is evocative of charred wood, smoldering ashes and incense, underneath a cool, consistent lavender. I love the contrast here. Fragrances that are all wood and smoke can be musty, which is why I tend to prefer ones with citrus; in this case, it is the cool floral note that balances it, while the dark, ashy base keeps the lavender from being soapy or too light.

N°0012
N°0012

I've had the pleasure of growing up in a region covered by lavender fields and was looking to find myself a lavender fragrance that captures the natural aroma of lavender radiating in the dry heat. After doing research and reading reviews, I had a feeling that Gris Clair could be the one. There is a brief moment (under 2 minutes) when first sprayed where I like the bright lavender, but then that vanishes as powdery tonka and sugary amber syrup rain down and ruin this for me. It turns into something that reminds me of Armani Code for Men, which is a fragrance that I hate. I know people will vote down this comparison because they can't stand designer frags being compared to niche, but these both have a lot in common. I really want to like Serge Lutens since I adore his concepts and bottles, but all of his scents that I have tried have been too syrupy, sickeningly sweet and powdery for my taste.

If you are into the powdery sweet (usually containing amber or tonka) genre that dominates the designer male fragrance scene - La Nuit de l'Homme, The One, Sauvage, Armani Code - then you may like this a lot more than I do. I would suggest a testing first for sure.

Basteth
Basteth

I am seriously going tog finish this sample quite, quite fast. I love this scent but I don't get any flowery notes. Am I the only one picking up black pepper in this? Lots of spice and tobacco. No flowers at all but I still like it a lot! It is quite comforting and... well, cozy.

mrsg34
mrsg34

Ahh I get my lavender kick from Gris Clair, I love to have a bath before bed and spray this on, it's really calming and not too harsh or heavy. Completely unisex, herbal lavender.

Duskfall
Duskfall

To me Gris Clair is like something you would get if you combine the good parts (ash, smoke, dry wood) of the somewhat disastrous Serge Noire with lavender and tonka. Gris Clair is a total delight from the aromatic opening to the smooth drydown. I'd describe it as a smoky and ashy lavender that is sweetened with tonka and amber. The construction is supported by a dry woody base and iris brings a tinge of powdery floralcy into the mix. Very evocative, calming and absolutely gorgeous!

It's unisex and I'm totally comfortable wearing it as a woman. GC works like a charm as a summer scent, but I think it's suitable for all seasons and occasions. Performance is pretty good: longevity at least 6-7 hours with a surprisingly noticeable projection (of course "the volume" tones down gradually as time goes by, but it's not a quiet fragrance by any means).

MetalMan
MetalMan

The skies stretch out before you like a stormy sea - there is an electric doom tingling through the air. Beneath the sullen sky lie endless fields of royal purple lavender blowing sharply in the piercing wind. Green lightning arcs across the sky and strikes - the singed stalks of lavender permeate your senses. You are overwhelmed by the smell of dewy grass and ambery vanilla...another arc traces the skyline and your vision goes white. You awake many hours later in a grand cathedral - the incense burning mingles with the majestic lavender seared into your sinuses. You slowly look your half-naked body up and down - a salve reminiscent of tonka beans with a hint of civet is slathered over the burn on your side. You feel euphoric for just meeting death and having survived. You ache to rise but something invisible binds you....you drift off to slumber once again. Many hours or many days later, you wake and take what feels like your first breath - the tonka and warm leather and licorice of your singed flank fills the air. You sit up on the slab you were resting on while your memories slowly return - you are no longer among the living. This strange new world, not quite heaven nor hell, is your new home. Off in the far distance you hear footsteps - the scent of a guardian angel surrounds you in prophetic warmth. Determined, you gather your belongings, wipe ash across your face to mourn your loss, and embark to seek what lies beyond the end - for this is no end, just a other beginning. May we all be so brave as to continue on after all we knew was lost.

Day 52 - In the end
Listening to: Anathema - The Beginning And The End

Notes: This graceful and ominous fume opens with potently medicinal lavender that is slowly soothed to reveal the fantastical nuances of lavender - the greenness of the stems and leaves and the rich, vanillic undertone that make lavender such a beautiful note. This is soon complemented by an airy and warm, nutty tonka bean and a slightly smoky incense and guaiac wood. The fume basically becomes a soothing roasted nut and vanilla fume that holds some of the floral properties of lavender from beginning to end. I also feel there is a subtle weaving of cool licorice and skin-like musky leather throughout the latter half. It lasts around 10 hours on my skin and it gorgeous throughout!

picatarte
picatarte

I love this one! I completely agree with Lalaith when s/he says "dusty" rather than powdery. The Italian translation of the two words could create confused results, yet "polveroso" sounds to me a perfect description. Lavender starts off dusty and dry, incense comes up later, and a dark honey accompanied with tonka and woods which close this masterpiece. Remember incense essential oil has nothing to do with smokiness: you smell smoky incense only when you burn it!

ouladybird2005
ouladybird2005

I want to preface this review with the note that this is one of my favorite fragrances and I love lavender. Gris Clair makes me think of sitting in a lavender garden while reading a book in the early morning with fog around the edges of the landscape. I also associate it with the literary character Jane Eyre, and I think this is a scent she would have worn- at times the lavender almost smells masculine, but that is probably because the perfume industry has used lavender in so many masculine fragrances we automatically think that it belongs in a cologne rather than a perfume.

Gris Clair to my nose starts off strong, the lavender at the start smells not just like the flower, but the stems, leaves and a bit of the dirt the plant is growing in- think sitting in the middle of the lavender field. As it develops the vanilla arrives with a slight hint of the incense, but it's not over powering. At the base the Tonka brings some creaminess to the composition. I love this scent and it can be worn anytime, though it is a favorite at bedtime because the lavender just mellows me out. But I would definitely recommend sampling though, lavender as the main note can betaken as either a masculine or feminine note and might be a turn off to those looking for a traditional floral composition.

gedlive
gedlive

I got this for under $50 so I blind bought it.
I'm still a bit disappointed, but it's usable and it's surely more masculine than unisex.
If you know Bvlgari Black or Midnight in Paris this has that spicy rubbery smell that many mention of those two fragrances. It's like pepper and vanela with lavender, is what you mostly get with Gris Clair. The harsh rubbery opening does settle in 15 minutes, and it becomes a decent peppery, slight bit of cinomon spiciness, with a nice lavender. I think many will like that sharp spiciness. I will still use it from time to time for something different. I'm one who never liked "Midnight in Paris", if you do, this is more long lasting, and overall better quality, you will like it.

Some say the lavender is non existent, is because they don't know this kind of lavender that's semi floral smelling, it's more green and herbal, like the flower with the stems, roots, and leaves together.
I think the incense is non existent. I have good incense frags that are made from frankincense, this is the synthetic incense that is listed in many note pyramids, but it's just a sharp peppery scent that they call incense like in L'Artisan's Dzonka fragrance.

The general vib of this is a spicy with some lavender. One reviewer said the woods here are like the woods in Terre de Hermes, kind of, it's like the wood and Flint accord in Terre de Hermes, but the wood and Amber in Gris Clair are very vague and hard to pick out. I think the Tonka note is good and saves this one a bit.
Very interesting, that no spices listed, but Gris Clair smells like a spice bomb. If you know and like that frag called " Spice Bomb", you will like this. Tonka can be bitter sweet note that smells like mown hay. This may have a very strong Tonka note. Women beware of this fragrance, the spiciness is quite harsh; recommend to try before you buy...

Happy Easter. John 3:16

mirrorghost
mirrorghost

this opens up with an aromatic lavender and incense. i get tonka and iris a bit later. i find it toes the traditionally masculine/unisex line. so, i am really liking this on me but would love to smell it on a man. i really love the combination of lavender and tonka in this. it is a bit reminiscent of versace dreamer, though that scent is far more strong on the tobacco and it sweeter. i'm not saying they smell exactly alike, but they seem to come from the same aromatic family. this scent has a calming, meditative quality.

nhsrk
nhsrk

I don't dislike this scent, but I'm not sure I can say I love it, either. It intrigues me, like meeting someone intense and magnetic. The opening is, I admit, harsh and even off-putting in its sourness. But given time, it turns to incense with a woodsy touch. But what I like so much is that it isn't waxy--it smells literally like a stick of incense is burning against my skin. Crisp smoke. It makes me want to sniff it again and again without knowing why. I can't say whether this is very wearable (I will have to test it around people), but as a scent experience? A pothole in my memory that can't be filled.

mayberry
mayberry

A realistic and very sweet lavender on the opening. I also smell cinnamon and tonka. Almost like a lavender, cinnamon, cookie. I like thiis.

lilymorena
lilymorena

3e time testing Gris Clair. It is lavander, sweet lavander, soft lavander. Then comes the incense and wood, light enough to make the scent rounder. It keeps this way for half hour, then it becomes to fade and pretty fast. It remains as a skinscent, soft sweet lavander. It is a safe office fragance, unisex. Buy it? No. I am sampling Serge Lutens fragances and this one is just ok but for me it has no "wow factor".

2x trying to washing it out... impossible. I must say wow factor of not Serge Lutens fragances have well quality.

Happyme2009

Just a note, not a review . Have you seen "Firfty shades of gray "? Well, this smells exactly like Mr .Gray.... Raw, bizarre, painful , alluring , rich, different, masculine, erotic, perverse.
It's a very twisted lavender and I don't know if I can handle it, I'm more of a lady than an adventurer, at least consciously .

Chicago Tony T
Chicago Tony T

This is the perfect all seasons, all occasions scent if you are looking for something fresh with a touch of sweetness. As long as it is not over 85 degrees with high humidity this can be worn in the summer. The woodiness keeps the Tonka and amber tamed and well balanced but below gourmand level. I really don't care for lavender but I love it in this. Sheldrake is my favorite perfumer so I guess I am a bit biased towards it. Try before you buy as some women say it's too masculine for them but it's perfect for guys.

Max Logan
Max Logan

I bought this frag because I expected lavender. Unfortunately, this perfume didnt work for me.

* I dont smell any lavender at all. Zero lavender.
* perfume is too complicated, its a mess of notes
* heavy, not dynamic or refreshing
* reminded me of Black by Bvlgari. Same burning rubber.

Overall, its an interesting concoction (especially for winter/evening), but has nothing to do with lavender.

P.S. I was quite astonished to read in one of the comments that Gris Clair smells like Yardley's English Lavender (I have both of these perfumes). Nothing even remotely alike.
We all indeed have different noses and fragrance perceptions.

LeonieB
LeonieB

An authentic burst of laundry fresh lavender, moves swiftly to a softly aromatic amberl, then settles with a cool slightly nutty woody note (may be the iris combined with tonk a). Not for me, but lavender-lovers may find it worth a try.

6opar
6opar

I wonder if they came up with the name once they saw the colour of the juice they had conjured. Anyway, it's a perfect match. Gris clair... is light grey in colour and soul. Melancholic, a bit sour, dreamy.
Lavender is the key player.
Iodine-like in the beginning, it changes moods before settling into a state between happiness and sorrow. Spirit of incense, Reality of cedar, Mind of iris, this lavender leans towards memories of the past, instead of facing the present. Its home is dry and dusty. And i like it.
****(*)

I had hopes on it as a lavander fragrance. It's lavender. Only not that kind I like. It reminds me more herbals than flowers. Like Crimean lavender, while I prefer french.

It's good, but I would prefer Jersey by Chanel or even Oud Lavender by Montale.

I think that it will more suitable on men. Maybe on them it will play as it should.

LYV
LYV

It opens with a blast of iris and incense, and then the lavender blooms in. Gris claire! if you love gray, you must try this out, it matches the colour perfectly without being boring or generic. Sharp, medicinal, fresh spicy. My idea of solitude. Love it!
Shame for the silage though.

wesleyhclark
wesleyhclark

I tried this in a Barney's store in Las Vegas. It's a good lavender scent, but, for the money, I could probably be just as happy with the less expensive Pour un Homme de Caron, which strikes me as nearly the same sort of thing. (I'm sure somebody will chime in and state that this product has subtleties that the Caron does not, and I suppose that's true.)

Note: I am not an especial fan of lavender, which, to my nose, smells bitingly of some kind of astringent lemon-limey thing. But I recognize that I could get to like it in time.

ghantrey
ghantrey

Lavender is an incredibly comforting scent for me. I've used the same laundry liquid all my life and it smells of lavender so I associate it with childhood - climbing into bed and burying my face in fresh linen. And yet I disagree with others who have said that this smells 'clean'. This sits so well with one's natural body smell, working with it instead of swamping it in synthetic musks. Lavender can be a little sweaty, and perhaps that's why this works. Like a well worn woollen jumper, the slight sweetness of the tonka bean brings warmth into an otherwise cool composition.

Gris Clair is also wistful bordering on melancholy. What others have described as incense to me smells like wood ash and smoke - the faintest hint of an Autumn bonfire lingering in your clothes.

It's rather fitting somehow that the first time I wore this I got lost in the woods on a clear, cold night and only found my way home by walking in one direction until I saw lights at people's windows emerge through the trees.

Lalaith
Lalaith

Lutens fragrances usually speak to me with concrete pictures. It's the same with Gris Clair. When I sniff it, I see old attic room with a lot of dust everywhere, with old furniture and with bunches of super dry lavender hang on metal hooks near the ceiling. Dust is dry and also a bit sweet and it's quite hot in the attic room. Window is open a bit, it's early autumn (but the sun isn't shining) and the wind brings the smell of smoke from fire...

And now, how does this really smell on me? It's a dry fragrance, starts with a blast of lavender and powder iris. After a while it settles down a bit and tonka bean comes to place to make it a bit sweeter, than incense joins the whole companny - and adds a bit of smokiness. This fragrance is dry, as I've mentioned several times, and also hot - I can't explain why, but it's hot and dusty... After the very first notes it has a little masculie edge, but I like it a lot. For me it's the best in autumn, becouse it seems to me also a bit melancholic - like many others Lutens.

ThisVulture
ThisVulture

As much as I adore lavender, Gris Clair did not work for me at all. It has a very synthetic sweet note that dominates the lavender and turns my stomach. There is also a strange "dried cotton" accord that I don't like For sweet lavenders I much prefer the amazing and unisex Caron Pour Un Homme which is a delightful blend of soft tonka and lavender.

Sussudio
Sussudio

Not my cup of tea. Smells highly like ironing cotton that has been washed with a lavender based fabric softener. Might be soothing to some but I find it a very dull, non sexy and non charismatic scent. Don't see how this is going to draw compliments, ever - most of the woman will link this back to the repetitive ironing chore.

Removed it from my want list after this test, good that I finally started sampling before I buy.

dsty
dsty

This is the first lavender scent I really like. Although it's lovely in real life I've never been particularly drawn to lavender as a perfume note; I associate it with an unpleasant kind of soapiness, synthetic and too harsh and masculine... But I'm aware that's probably an unjust prejudice, and I'll try any Serge Lutens at least once, so I jumped at the chance to get a little decant of this one, anyway.
And what do you know, my prejudices were dispelled just like that. Gris Clair starts with a blast of pure lavender, but it's not soapy or synthetic at all - in fact, it's exactly like the real thing, very natural and bright. Then not five minutes later the scents starts softening and warming up with tonka,incense, woods and amber. These darker, deeper notes gradually supplant the lavender until there's only a ghost of it left in the background. I like this drydown phase the best, it's so cosy and soft but mature at the same time, smoky and a bit spicy but not at all in that foody way that I dislike. The name, Gris Clair, fits this cashmere sweater of a scent perfectly.

As for the great unisex debate: I guess this is more masculine than feminine, but it's not macho at all and I don't feel conspicuous wearing this. All in all I like it very much - I think it's perfect for a gray, rainy summer day like this, and it'll work very well in fall too, although I want to try it in warmer weather as well to see how my skin reacts. I don't think my decant will be the last I see of this one!

Fortunista
Fortunista

Serge Lutens does Lavender best, hands down. I adore this, as well as Encens et Lavande, and Fourreau Noir. While Encens is ethereal, churchy, incensey lavender, and Fourreau is dark, voluptuous, and mysterious, Gris Clair is crisp, lovely and refreshing. All three are gorgeous, with very different character. I think I'm leaning more towards Gris Clair as an everyday scent though. Perfect for fall. This is classic, beautiful, Serge lavender rounded out with powdery iris, and perfectly balanced by a hint of sweetness and woody depth. Love love love. So much love.

At first it is very nice, lavender scent, but unfortunately after some time I can smell only heavy woody & spicy notes. It's also rather masculine type of smelling. Not for me.

our lee

I must agree with kim_klaus below...

Today, I also wore Gris Clair for the first time since the cooler months... And wow, it certainly made an impact on a rather mild English day. I always had this down as an Autumn/Winter scent, but the light aura it manages to give off, drifting between the incense, woods and lavender, is truly beautiful and very calming.

The more I wear this fragrance the more I recognise what a true masterpiece it is.

kim_klaus

Heavens, I must reevaluate that little joyful piece! My first review was made at wintertime and though all well done I didn't find it captivating enough.

Now, at the summertime, I absolutely enjoy Gris Clair- it is far more lively, more deep and oh so enjoyable. It is fresh, breezy and dry lavender, not at least oily as the lavenders often tend to be.

I find it to be a wonderful choice for a man during the summer time- it is altogether clean and sophisticated, finished by a refined touch of a dry, smoky incense.

guerlainfreak
guerlainfreak

I'm a newbie to Lutens frags. Just received this on the mail. I get the initial lavender blast at first. IMO this is a lavender/iris combo, with that flowery, powdery facet and a sparkle of spice coming from the Tonka bean. That, to me, is that "metallic/cold" smell some have commented. It is also all about the Tonka bean all the way through the drydown. I don't get much lavender after the openining, and middle notes. It's a nice frag, nothing out of this world. For being niche, it smells average.
It never ceases to amaze me how Americans associate lavender and lemony smells, cornerstones of traditional French perfumery, with household products. Really???
Smell great, my friends.

Milk&Belladonna
Milk&Belladonna

Originally, I bought this perfume purely becasue of the lavender note. There is nothing obviously sultry or sensuous, or rich about it, and yet... Once upon a time I was working in a wine shop that also sold cigars. Every Sunday morning there was this tall grey haired man in his late 40s, wearing a fresh crisp shirt, who came in to buy wine and a cigar. And this is what he smelled like: smoke and fresh, clean laundry, with just a hint of sandalwood. Just thinking about it makes me blush a bit, because it was so sexy.

Otherwise, Gris Clair seems to be refreshing enough to be worn even in the hottest summer, but I have yet to test that. I kind of understand the commenters who say this is a "room smell" for them and that it is a bit odd for a person to smell like this. But on skin I don´t find this such a straightforward detergent-like lavendery scent. It certainly has depth thanks to the accompanying notes. All in all it is delectable.

our lee

My French isn't great but from reading previous comments I see that Gris Clair translates to Light Grey... which is a fairly good description of this scent. It makes me think of strolling through a quiet park on a grey, gloomy autumn morning...

Gris Clair, to me, is a relatively simple scent which opens with a hit of pure cold lavender followed by a dry down of warm woods and incense. The lavender still plays a part and is comforting, slightly relaxing (which lavender is often said to be). Longevity is good, projection is light, but this, to me, is not an issue - it makes for a very subtle and satisfying skin scent.

This is my first SL fragrance and I am now very keen to try many more...

Tulipomania
Tulipomania

I have been using Gris Clair for a few years now and the mix of lavender and warm smoke never fails to impress. I love the way that the fragrance seems to twist and turn over time. It is almost as if the balance between its elements are constantly being pulled and pushed. This is a first light on a November morning kind of perfume for me.

shushkin
shushkin

I love lavender and have been looking for one that suits me. This is it! Its a lavender without the harsh edges and has warmth. This fragrance really brings out the best in lavender.
I cant believe anyone saying its not unisex. My partner loves it on me . He was puzzled when I asked him if he thought it was a mans fragrance. He thought it smelt positively feminine and this coming from a man with over 30 fragrances in his collection!
Moderate longevity and same for the sillage.

LizWords
LizWords

This is one of Serge Lutens most underrated perfume, it is gorgeous yet rarely is mentioned when discussing Lutens fragrances. It's not terribly complex, but it's also not linear and it's definitely not a common type of scent.

I'm really not sure why it's considered more masculine than feminine, yes the initial blast is very "men's cologne" but that is just the super strong raw earthy lavender. That phase passes within 10-15 minutes, after which it becomes creamy lavender tonka bean woody incense, at this point I'm sure it could still be considered somewhat masculine but it certainly seems plenty feminine to me.

mvd99
mvd99

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT....for my husband. Though it's marketed as unisex and I adore the fresh true lavender blast, then later comes the wood, incence and amber, it's not very feminine, maybe Tilda Swinton can pull it off. Nevertheless, I love how all of these notes combine and make this more than your usual Yardley's lavender-type scents.

rschmidt65
rschmidt65

Lavender! Very strong. Very man's cologne-y. One tiny spray from a sample vial is overwhelming me and I'm going to have to go scrub. If it weren't so overwhelming I might be able to appreciate a glorious, subtle lavender.

Edit: a week or so after trying this, I walked by someone wearing a different lavender scent and was suddenly overcome by the memory of this one. Not a lavender person generally but suddenly I wanted nothing else.

kim_klaus

I think it is a very well executed fragrance- clean, well pronounced lavender, long lasting- quality all over.

Yet to my mind it fully belongs to the textiles, not to a human body. Like... perfectly clean bed linen, freshly ironed and scented with lavender.

Very pleasing scent yet somewhat cold and lifeless ... Perhaps it is a matter of temperature, might easily bloom into life with some warmth.

It would be wonderfully handsome on a man!

pepperoniann
pepperoniann

Not a technical review.

Our family visited Furano, Japan when I was 10. It was summer time and even in the northern Japan we got toasted by the strong summer sun. Furano was (and still is) very famous for its massive lavender fields, and of course as curious tourists we went to check out one of the farms which sold all sorts of lavender-infused products: tea, biscuit, ice cream, pillows, scented bags for decoration... all made of real, high-quality dried lavender.

I remember standing in this massive sea of purple with bees buzzing around, and breathing in that strong, earthy, herbal lavender. The smell was so potent it was almost formidable even for a 10 year-old.

Gris Clair replicates that exact smell of lavender and, IMO, has done the flower justice. The lavender note is powerful and wild like the actual plant, radiates from the skin with a very dense sillage. In the meantime the extra tonka beans gives the fragrance sweetness while incense and amber provide warmth and depth to cut out the earthiness of lavender just a little bit.

Wearing Gris Clair reminds me of my favourite part of the farm trip: enjoying that big, sweet, refreshing lavender ice cream under the scorching sun!

This thing lasts days on my clothes and can still be smelled after shower. My lavender holy grail and current most-wanted.

Msgreenpebble
Msgreenpebble

Gris Clair is simply stunning- it may be the most in love with a fragrance I have ever been. Starting with real sticky resinous lavender- just as you would snatch from a bush as you are walking by. And then joined quietly by just enough hot ashy vanilla and iris. It is joyful and melancholic- aware of mortality but hopeful for the future. It is also grounded, sophisticated and sexy- and morphs and changes on different days and different wears. Some moments more resinous, others like hot cotton or vietnamese bread. It smells beautiful on clothes and resonates in the morning and twilight and when wearing black. Writing this on a bushfire alert day- high temperatures and strong dry winds, there is a sense of danger and loss that is part of the natural landscape after a bushfire. I have never smelled anything quite like it. I can imagine Eve in Only Lovers Left Alive wearing this- beautiful, in love, not bound by age or gender and accepting the past while walking towards the future.

Karenin
Karenin

The Hilliard Ensemble is a British group of singers specializing in the interpretation vocal compositions from the Renaissance to the Baroque period. As I´m writing this review, I´m listening to their rendition of Johannes Ockeghem´s “Requiem” and “Missa ´Mi-mi´”. The Ensemble´s interpretation is divine: incredibly soft, pure, meditative, ideal for a quiet winter evening spent by the fireplace, preferably with a glass of mulled wine to lift one´s spirits a bit higher. I started this review by mentioning the Hilliard Ensemble because lately I´ve been trying to match various musical compositions and styles with appropriate fragrances. I once sprayed on Serge Lutens´ “Gris Clair...” while listening to the aforementioned CD, and was amazed at how effortlessly the music and the scent complemented each other.

“Gris Clair...” is a melodious interplay between two notes, namely lavender and tonka bean. Thanks to the lavender, the head of the perfume is markedly herbal and aromatic. The lavender note provides a generous amount freshness to the perfume, evoking the feeling of genuine joy. Gradually, the herbal character of “Gris Clair...” is toned down and substituted by the spicy sweetness of tonka bean. The initial feeling of joy is transformed into nostalgia, meditation, even a longing for the unattainable. Lurking somewhere in the shadows of the fragrance´s two stars is iris, so delicate it´s barely perceptible to my nose.

Due to its straightforward, aromatic freshness in its opening, “Gris Clair...” initially displays a different character to the other perfumes I´ve sampled from the Serge Lutens line thus far. Simultaneously, it is firmly embedded in Lutens´ olfactory philosophy owing to its emphasis on the quality of raw materials, substance and the belief in the artistic value of perfumery. “Gris Clair...” might never become the most celebrated Lutens fragrance, but it surely is, just like medieval polyphony in music, one of his most comforting ones.

pusia
pusia

My favourite lavender, cool, sentimenatal, deep, appealing, not so obvious, mmmh. Definitely addictive.

Q80
Q80

A white scented satin buttons shirt that has been burnt from the chest side by using an extreme hot old iron in summer time. the burnt is fresh and the air condition is cold. that what you'll smell when it's calm. quite weird but very acceptable.

Unique = yes
acceptable = very
worth it = kind of
i'd wear it = sure

another unique fragrance from Serge Lutens. Needs time and more tests.

Ursa Mater
Ursa Mater

Chill, foggy dawn in a field of lavender. Bracing, yet hazy. If it were a color, this would be a marled heathery lavender-gray. My favorite lavender is the pure soliflore by Caldey Island, and I often have trouble with it in other perfumes that do not do it justice--but I grow four different types in my garden, I am a fan. And I like this perfume. I wasn't expecting it, somehow--it was outside my frame of reference for Lutens. And despite Lutens' usually voluptuous sillage, I was expecting something more sheer, perhaps misled by the name, and so the first time I wore this I oversprayed and what a mistake! Bracing, INDEED, and the lavender really gets into the same spicy register as cinnamon or pepper and wakes up everyone around you. The second time I applied more carefully, and was able to relax into this more. It's got a touch of the masculine about it, but not astringent as some poorly-handled masculine lavenders become. I feel it's definitely unisex enough for me to wear. It's classy, clean, I like it on a gray day particularly, and feel it will also work well in summer and be a refreshing change from my citruses and figs.

Eloquaint
Eloquaint

On the whole, I like Serge Lutens perfumes. I have 15 of them, and I generally find them well-made and, if not necessarily something I would want to wear, then at least something I'm glad I sampled.

But not this time. Gris Clair is horrible. It reeks of Christmas potpourri, it stinks like walking past the doorway to Yankee Candle at the mall. Its massive, cloying berry and cherry syrup smell is punctuated by a scent like men's "sport stick" deoderant.

There is one thing that needs saying about Gris Clair, and you may make of it what you will. I got my sample from the little perfume shop that recently opened up nearby, and the reason I was keen to try it was that, in this shop, they keep little glass beakers stashed behind the tester bottles, with bits of gauze in them that have been sprayed with the perfume. And when I sniffed the gauze with the GC on it, which had been sprayed a couple of times and dried down repeatedly, it smelled just like static electricity. It was FASCINATING. But I have been unable to recreate this smell at home.

A scrubber for me.

ras.kel.5
ras.kel.5

This perfume opens with strong lavender which then turns a bit sweet and creamy thanks to what I'm guessing is tonka bean. This is more masculine than feminine, but still unisex and fresh. I'd recommend this as an introduction to perfumes for men who want to move on up from aftershave.

I think this fragrance is supposed to be smooth but I find it quite a bracing one, especially to begin with. I don't find particularly soothing like lavender usually is but quite overbearingly floral especially in the opening it reminds me of the smell of hyacinths. It's kinda like a very WET lavender if that makes sense? It's a fresh bouquet complete with an almost bitter, waxy off putting edge. I can only put this down to the combination of iris and lavender. The drydown has hints of incense and definitely becomes woodier on my skin but still not to the point where I love it.
It's a little bit too much like a 'room' scent for me but I don't hate it. There's a strange air of chanel type sophistication and something that alludes to more interesting themes without fully committing.
I know my pal Plat likes this and I can see why but it's just not for me I'm afraid.

RUDOLFO512
RUDOLFO512

Gris Clair is a beautiful blast of Lavender. The initial spray is lavender and incense. In the dry down I can still smell the lavender but in a very soft way. It also leans towards woody notes. I can wear this in the daytime, in the heat and feel comfortable with it.

shiva-woman
shiva-woman

This is so different from my other SL 'fumes. This was a blind buy, FB, and right now I'm liking it a lot. But I suspect that like will turn to love when the smoke and incense hit (if they hit...). I grow a variety of lavenders in my backyard and some have said this is the dry lavender; actually, it smells like both: green, fresh in the early--mid-spring, as well as the end of summer August/September dry flowers. It smells of both leaf and flower of lavender, and it hits hard: herbacious, menthol, camphorous, sharp, metalic, cold. Now, nowhere has anyone compared this to the "berry-full" Angel by TM, but unlike all the noses out there that smell vanilla goodness & gourmand sweetness in Angel--I've always received a hard, tough, metalic, cold smell from the juice(can't say I'm a big fan because of the berries, though they are sweet too). I suspect readers will react with horror at the mere mention of "Angel" in conjunction with an SL fume. But in terms of its impact, it "reminds" me a bit of Angel; they are not "alike," however. So I don't mean to either attract or put off someone from GC. I've now sprayed them both on separate cards, but the "cold edge" that I pick up is in both. Gris Clair moves into a warmer phase that is a bit more of a traditional and softer lavender with iris, and then a woodsy, amber-tonka bean resinous smell quietly hits while the colder almost "minty" lavender moves off stage on my skin, leaving traces of the iris. On the paper, the lavender becomes a more traditional soapy lavender (not unlike Yardley). This is a scent that I think can wear well despite the season--any time would be a good time. I wouldn't call it sexy, but I would call it interesting, memorable, provocative. I'm not even sure I'd call it clean as so many lavenders are at the middle stage, and even at the beginning. I will update again after going through my various "perfume testing rituals..." Sillage is low at the middle stage; longevity is not as good compared to other SLs for me. I think with a moderate-heavy hand this would go the distance to five-six hours on my skin (which drinks scent up-only a very few last a day, day and a half). I reccomend if you are an SL fan and like his woods, his spices, and warmer scents--try this for a change of pace.

Hassan Nasrallah
Hassan Nasrallah

IT IS MY 1ST TRY OF GRIS CLAIR , I CANNOT DESCRIBE HOW MUCH IT RAISES MY MOOD , SPECIALLY WITH THE DOMINATION OF THE GREAT LAVENDER , MY FAVORITE NOTE ALL TIMES .
IT IS SOFT , BIT SMOKY , ELEGANT AND NOT LIKE ANY OTHER PERFUME .
SUGGESTED FOR WHO LIKES TO SAY LOOK I AM HERE I AM SPECIAL I AM ELEGANT YET I AM NOT ARROGANT .

ImAddicted
ImAddicted

This masterpiece smells just like the air when it is about to rain. So fresh, delicate and clean. Warm and soft lavender incense that makes you feel just fine. Brilliant!

Fragrantlife
Fragrantlife

This smells just cheap on me. Cheap synthetic lavender and cheap synthetic musc. It has no saving grace. I feel I smell like a bathroom deodorant from the '80's. In one word: yuck.

malika1979
malika1979

Whoa, so much lavender on me! But so conforting, very beautiful drydown, that goes more citrusy and more round with each minute! Very deep Iris detected too! The sillage could have been better, on me it goes away so quick!

sistertricked
sistertricked

I'm using samples now on vacation and I turned to Gris Clair prior to taking a walk. Well, it's definitely a bracing-up scent, one to use when you want to feel fresh and clean, but a sophisticated one. The initial lavender makes you feel so out-of-the-box, I mean new, fit and ready to start your day. Warmer notes came by and transformed the perfume into a lavender-vanilla/tonka scent. He feeling was for a moment that of wearing Rochas Man, to the effect that lavender here is what coffee is to Rochas Man, both being rounded by a vanilla feeling. A classy perfume to work well on women and men, not overpowering and very pleasant.

hippiechick13
hippiechick13

This is so unique.

When I first sampled it, on a test strip, all I could really make out was the lavender with an anchoring use of amber and wood notes. Nice, but the lavender, while I do like it, seemed rather strong.

Today I tried it, let it develop, gave it about an hour to do so, and wow. I keep getting an impression of a piece of soft, gauzy scarf rippling in the wind - silk spun. Or a star-lit, frosty evening. Moonlight shimming across rooftops and water. Paris by night, perhaps.... at the end of autumn.

There isn't really anything like this on the market, which is why it is the forerunner in being the next Lutens fragrance I choose, as I can confidently attest, that this line is the only one I can see myself reaching for in future. I've mentioned elsewhere in another review that I'm wanting three Lutens fragrance to alternate between, and that this one might suit that middle ground between my other two - Clare de Musc and Fille en Aiguilles (which is my favourite Serge creation thus far...), as it sits at the crossroads of these scents. Ashy, smoky, mysterious, and yet pale, pretty, and easy to translate between occasions, but always elegant.

This fragrance is electric, like those moments before a storm. Where the hairs raise on the skin. The ash and grey skies effect is abundant, but not overpowering. Evocative, and strong in that sense. I love the idea of this being worn all year and how it might change on the skin depending on the seasons. I am surprised at just how well the lavender has been used here - how it is overbearing at first but settles into the woods and ash. The incense here is top notch.

There is something about this perfume which takes me to an old bookstore. Not only in the feeling it carries and seems to be charged with, but that almost bookish smell, like old time-stained pages and the magical smell they hold. So, I want to say there is a dusty note to this, but I don't want to put anyone off by saying so. Because it's not dusty in a must-filled way. It's pleasant and balanced by the skilful use of the lavender and what it is allowed to become in the way it is brewed by the parfumeur.

As I write this, I am also smelling the card, and with it getting impressions of an old carnival. When something sweet fades a little, but clings to the canvas. The passing scents of cotton candy. The tonka bean here is like that - it underpins the scent with this windy, unusual selection of ideas and smells that work on cohesion. I imagine drawing back a tent flap and looking up and around as smoke from a recent bonfire curls into the crisp, cool air. The memory of candy apples and candy cotton linger in that space. The smell of the trees, the way the air tastes as sunlight melts through it as dawn breaks across the world.

Perhaps thunder is rolling somewhere in the distance....

ian85
ian85

A beautiful one, subtle and poetic. Lavender, woody and almost vanillic (due to amber and tonka bean I suppose), but not at all in a heavy and headache inducing way, like could be Pour un homme de Caron.
Gris clair, parce que le gris est tout dans la légereté et la nuance, dans un moment de poésie.
A touch of class.
Masterpiece, 10 / 10

Lana148
Lana148

I have to start by saying - I don't like lavender, never cared for it. Tried Gris Clair just out of curiosity and because I love woody smells. I've been wearing this fragrance most of the day today and I can't get enough of it. The lavender is not in your face, it's more dry-herbal then fresh and it is wrapped up in this leathery, little smoky, vanilla, woody aura. Elegant and mysterious, so beautifully done.

Phantosmia Bella
Phantosmia Bella

Looking at the notes and reading the reviews, one might think this perfume is mainly about that lovely purple blossom - lavender.
Truth is, on my skin, this is a fascinating variation on tonka beans laced with lavender and iris.

This scent twists and turns, changing again and again, from medicinal herb to man's cologne to deep sweetness, until it settles down to become a true, unusual beauty. It takes some time to get used to it, but give it a chance and you shall not regret it.

oncidium
oncidium

This is lovely lavender but not the soapy sweet lavender most scents contain. If you like lavender you will love this one. I find it very wearable for any situation, either sex as well. That is one of lavender's endearing qualities. It's also timeless.

Gris Clair is exquisitely composed and I find it soothing, and mysterious. Not floral nor sweet, it's creamy, dry spicy and I can't take my nose away from sniffing my inner arm where I sprayed it.

Again, if you like lavender you will adore this. If you like spicy you will enjoy this fragrance as well. There's powder in the dry down, if you don't like powder just be aware it's there.

Closest I can describe it is the Yardley's English Lavender I used to wear in the 80's

williamvargas
williamvargas

just getting around to sampling this, quite a beautiful fragrance, wearing this in the office, some positive comments. very impressed with just the overall presentation of notes. very classy, elegant and trying to figure out if it really leans one way or another. I think one of those fragrances I will just not worry about it and just enjoy it. I would be proud to own this. looking at price, seems very reasonable for a scent of this caliber.
thanks Plat for mentioning this one. I am so glad I sniffed this one out. I have enjoyed many of the Serge Luten's fragrances I have tested, this is so far at the top of the list. just so elegant. would be wonderful for dressing up or what the well dressed man is wearing. I say that as I sit here in levis or maybe it dresses you up. worth sampling, beautiful use of lavender in a fragrance. two thumbs way up.

Cassiano
Cassiano

Gris Clair was released in 2006 and its name means, in English, "Light Grey". They say it's a tribute from Serge to the lavender, who defines this perfume as follows: "it's like pollen blowing over a lifeless city. As grey as ashes floating through a sky of sunbeams. Lavender, then, to add grey to clarity. I also added incense. I'm crazy about it! In every sense, incense makes sense to my senses”.

In my interpretation, Gris Clair portrays the grey of the cities, the rush of city life and the power of a fragrance in the moments of relaxation amidst the chaos.

It contains notes of lavender, amber, tonka bean, Iris, incense and Woods. Still, some say there are also musk and an accord of ashes. On the skin, it opens with a lot of lavender – not that type of herbal nuances, but of soothing and silky characteristics. After about 30 minutes, it shows itself more creamy and balanced. Then, it is possible to better understand the presence of amber and tonka bean. With respect to the incense and the iris, it is as if they didn't exist in the composition, because I could not smell them.

Gris Clair is very comfortable and, although it is unisex, tends to behave more like a women’s fragrance. At least, that's how it reacted on my skin.
In my point view, is a safe choice for those who are afraid of taking risks in the universe of powerful niches of this brand. It exhales and lasts way beyond reproach.

As a metaphor, I would say that this perfume is like a flower that grows between the rocks – even in the most extreme conditions – to exude its aroma.

becuille
becuille

Um... ok, so this is a very beautiful frsgrance. Like some other reviewers, I was worried about the lavender too, but it's beautifully done. I was also a bit concerned about the incense because that's an accord that can become too much on my skin, but it's very muted here.

Wearing it reminded me of the calm after a thunderstorm. It's such an elegant, understated scent. Lutens can be difficult for people because of the tendency towards headiness in many of their scents, but this one doesn't have that problem at all.

But... (and this is where my "ummm" comes from") I kept intermittently catching a whiff of something that conjured up the strongest image of my favourite uncle. I couldn't for the life of my figure out why - and then it hit me. Faberge Brut. He always wore that when I was a kid and there's something about this that reminds me so much of it that I don't think I can wear it again.

Don't get me wrong, this one is still lovely and if it's like Brut, it's in a very well done and expensive way. But that memory being evoked just makes it a no-go for me because I always hated that particular aftershave.

Roge'
Roge'

Gris Claire is fun and free...almost like wearing a T-shirt to your own wedding. This is,"Im gonna take my sailboat for a little spin" kind of fragrance; affluent comes to mind. What you have here is a slightly dusty but subdued lavender mitigated by frosty tonka. The woody accord appear almost weightless as it adds a cloak of calm to the atmosphere. This is one of the safest Surge Lutens on the market.

penguin1010
penguin1010

Gris Clair ("Light Grey"): A vignette

It's early morning, the sky is grey and misty, and the earth is just waking up. You're sitting in a field of lavender leaning against a tree, wrapped in a grey blanket and sipping on some vanilla chai tea. You inhale deeply, and you smell the lavender, the tree, a hint of the vanilla from your tea, and a faint trace of smoke from the bonfire last night. There's a chill in the air, for the sun has not yet risen, and you pull your blanket closer around your body. It smells powdery and clean, probably from the laundry. As you take it all in, you smile and realize just how wonderful you feel in this moment. You can't quite put your finger on it--you're not feeling particularly special, or amazing, or excited, but just...content. Yes, that's it--calm, comfortable, and content. Happy to be there, taking a moment for yourself to enjoy the beauty of the early morning. For this quiet, peaceful moment is not full of noise, bright lights, and color, and it's not the starkness of black or white. It is simply....light grey.

tanya.tang.397
tanya.tang.397

A very interesting smell, I couldn't pinned down what it was, but get many compliments every time I wore. Sophisticated, subtle, fresh, clean and elegance. It's one of a kind (well, that's like most of Serg Lutens perfume anyway). I love it.

IndigoEye
IndigoEye

I used to classify myself as someone who disliked lavender, and especially lavender scents, as being for old grannies. Gris Clair is different. It smells like true lavender - the dried flower and stalk being crushed into a powder. Because for me the smokiness in this combined with the lavender gives this a very dry feel - like burnt lavender ash (as a concept, at least, as I have no idea what that would actually smell like!)
It is not a light perfume by any means - the sillage is moderate to strong and it lasts all day. It is not a bestial lavender fragrance, like Guerlain's Jicky, more of an intellectual affair. Nevertheless, I find this scent very hard to resist on my husband, so it's not all dry books and grey skies.
Whilst I admire the Serge Lutens I have had and tried, I find them too strong and they end up interfering in my sensual experience of the world around me and give me a headache by the end of the day. I prefer this on my husband, but I do still pinch it now and then, when I want to smell clever, seductive and aloof all at the same time. So definitely don't cross it off your list just because of the lavender...
EDIT: I have reclaimed this from my husband and wore it to a black dinner supper. The cold fragrance offset the feminine dress and makeup perfectly.

christianne1
christianne1

I am not a huge lavender fan, there are only a handful of fragrances with a dominant lavender note that I care for and this is at the top of that list. Lavender oil has never been my thing because I do not like that type of lavender. It hits me between the eyes and is too herbal and something grates on me...so please do not dismiss Gris Clair if you normally do not care for lavender because this is a whole different animal.

It is a smooth, cashmere like lavender....not screechy or sharp...very smooth and luxurious. There is a hefty dose of tonka bean and incense smoke that completely changes the feel of this from the usual bath product smelling lavender. It is absolutely nothing like lavender essential oil. The woody smoke mixed with the lavender is quite addicting!

When I initially tried this I felt it was too masculine and something I probably would not feel comfortable in but I have completely changed my mind. I can't stop sniffing it. If someone thinks I smell like a grandpa when I am wearing this, let them! Because I think it smells heavenly and I wear scent for myself and nobody else. They can hold their breath if they don't like it because I plan to drown myself in this all summer. They can call me paw paw for all I care. Because I LOVE Gris Clair!

Ziggy2012
Ziggy2012

Such an appealing opening. Fresh lavender with some iris, maybe some woods and incense contributing. A very pleasing bright lavender accord, not with the 'usual' lavender/vanilla combination that is in so many lavender fragrances.

Then a slightly 'thicker'' base, The later drydown seemed like some patch or amber but defintely tonka and hints of sandalwood, which as a combination is not my thing.

However, others may love it all the way

nikoleta1
nikoleta1

Lavender essential oil, strong and strange, spare the big $, buy the oil directly, will be much cheaper and with a same effect. After lavander strong musk comes, very masculine scent.

thehanna
thehanna

Lavendar scented dryer sheets.

Lavendar with a lot of inexpensive Cashmeran and white musk. Subtle and unobtrusive perfume. Nothing to write home about but a very nice example of a laundry scent.

Plrowden
Plrowden

At first spray, I thought OH MY! I wasn't sure if that was good or bad. All I could smell was Incense wood, and tonka bean. After a while, the lavender finally emerged, tempering the incense a bit, but the woody tonka bean remained in the foreground. I never did smell any iris, which usually, on me turns a fragrance a bit soft and powdery.

Gris Clair is bold and brash and breathtaking and for those who like a gorgeous mix of incense, lavender, wood and tonka beans, this is a must. I had my husband smell it on me and he really liked it. He doesn't know it yet, but it will soon be his. It is just too masculine for this girly-girl.

I tried Gris Clair in an attempt to find similar to Chanel Jersey, so probably my review will be biased by that. Jersey is much better IMO, not out of quality which is obviously good for both perfumes, rather because of personal tastes.

Gris Clair starts with a strong lavender note together with the typical wet mushroom edge that promises luscious musk after drying, so the opening was impressive for me.
I kept smelling it and the first 10 minutes almost made me want to splurge. I said "almost", because while wandering in a big perfume shop, the perfume evolved to something that I like a little less.
Still a beautiful interesting sophisticated lavender plus tonka bean, but something else set in after a while. I guess it's the incense with Woods. it makes the scent much drier and a little musty.
At this stage Gris Clair seems more of an exquisite complicated lavender cologne for men, a very elegant indeed, but from that point GC has nothing of the juicy quality of Jersey.
The Whole scent is basically a composition around lavender of a very aromatic and less mellow type. As usual, all SL have that "something" more, like a note too much, that make them smell too overdone to me.
It's a strong perfume and it keeps steaming for hours with strong lavender, tonka and incense.
I can imagine an elegant dandy wearing this.

LadyPilot
LadyPilot

I would love my bed linen to smell like this!:-)

ParfumFetiche
ParfumFetiche

Sampling this from a small decant here so performance result may be affected for this reason. The scent opens smoothly with lavender and tonka bean. Stays pretty much the same from opening until it wears off. I don't pick up a lot of other notes here and overall it feels well-blended to my nose. Projection and longevity are moderate on my skin. Based on the notes breakdown I thought I was gonna like this and to my surprise it's actually quite simple and safe by Serge Lutens standard.

Arabian Knight
Arabian Knight

This is an elegant, sophisticated fragrance for lavender lovers.

For me, lavender always conjures up images of pastel homliness and sunny country landscapes. It's fresh, powdery and light. "Gris Clair" has all of those elements, but the resins add a richer tone. In fact it almost smells like burning an expensive lavender scented candle. There's a smokey-wax note in there, owed to the amber and the incense, which makes it feel very warm and comforting.

The resinous-smoke notes are probably more suited to a man, however I think a mature lady could pull it off too. It smells very noble and assured.

janella13
janella13

My first reaction was men's cologne. Then I enjoyed it. Until a CW said is smelled like many of our residents. Who mostly are over 80 years old.

And a second CW mentioned the same thing.

sigh. Not for me. Will see if my DD can wear it . I think it is my skin chemistry. LOVE THE SMELL from the sample.

Sigh. Again.

TillyWave
TillyWave

I know I have a weird nose, and preferences, but I found Gris Clair to be so feminine, so elegant, and so mature! I guess most people associate lavender as a 'masculine' note, but I think it is so beautiful.

The lavender is very natural, green, and herbal, like rubbing lavender stems in between your fingers. That is the big note, it lasts through the heart. Eventually I detect a faint iris, with a hint of powder, that 'makeup' iris variety, which blends nicely under the lavender.

The base is quite musky, and woody, with a tiny bit of sweetness, and here at the end is the incense note (it's all very nice.)

All in all I love the Floral Woody Musk genre, and this is a keeper. Like many SL's this lasts ~6+ hours with light silage, depending on how much you spray, it's not loud at all.

mippymuppett
mippymuppett

Masculine, Masculine, Masculine!!! Unfortunately, even for me this is a bit too masculine.

The lavender is gorgeous!!! Beautiful vibrant purple lavender being thrown on a hot fire. This is so fragrant and smokey. I can definitely smell the tonka and the warmth of the amber. Unfortunately this is a no go for me but I truly applaud Sheldrake for his creation!!!

For lavender lovers this is a must try!!!

mizansen355
mizansen355

smells like new ironed shirt. steam. but overall nice. the persistence of bad.

Brenao
Brenao

Love at first sniff. So deep and soft at same time. Lavender, amber, vanilla, incense, beautifully crafted. Great stuff.

Hélio Sérgio Rocha
Hélio Sérgio Rocha

A good one for lavender lovers...
Here we do not have an herbal lavender, not green at all, but a sweet and vanilla one, that makes me remember licorice.
A little bit amber and incense are good to balance it, making it dark and bright at different moments...
A little bit powdery and luxurious.
:D

aiobhan
aiobhan

First spray: Lavender, herbal scents, iris, woodsy notes.

Drydown: LAVDENDER. Holy crap, lavender. The smoke and amber are vaguely noticeable. But mostly, lavender.

After a few hours: Now the iris and lavender blend nicely, with smoke floating through the flowers, and the amber warms it all up and keeps it from being to sweet or flowery.

I do not like Serge Lutens's smoke accord, personally, but this is a very pretty floral scent. Especially for those who want to try out florals without being totally overwhelmed.

Chantal
Chantal

I've already done a full review for gris clair, but I just want to add, now that it's soooooooooo hot outside, that this is so wonderful even in the summer. I wanted to put something on, but I couldn't do a sticky floral or a really intense oriental, so I tried this, and it hits the spot! Beautiful.

MademoiselleMaya
MademoiselleMaya

A masterpiece ! Nothing evokes the smell of Provence in the scorching summer sun like Gris Clair! It smells like lavender fields, rocks, dried herbs, sun, hot air, summer (it's more appropriate for spring though, because it's potent :)). Excellent longevity: 12+ hours on me. I also appreciate that there's nothing masculine about this fragrance on my skin. I love it.

magicnose
magicnose

This is possibly the best iris fragrance (paired with a huge lavender) on the market. Much more natural than Prada Infusion D'Homme for example, but works equally well with a crisp white shirt. Sadly, this is just a little too sweet for me.

regenv1
regenv1

This perfume is just brilliant. Extremely addictive from the fresh lavender start till the smoky end!

balefulregards
balefulregards

Wears masculine on me. My husband liked it, but immediately said "I think it would smell better on me". I agree.

I can smell the lavender close on my skin at hour 6, but the incense and wood is what I end up smelling most.

A lovely scent, but -alas- not right for me.

Marciu
Marciu

I like Gris Clair, although I have a feeling it fits better to my girlfriend than to me.

On my skin it's almost linear, lavender scent. I guess I might feel some "powderiness" also which comes from iris. And from time to time I feel the smoky incense coming out. If it only was more incensy, it would be always in my collection. For now, my girlfriend likes it more than me.

Its lasting power is average - about 6 hours with decent sillage.

It's quite unique, that's for sure. And women seem to like it, really!

sherylchan
sherylchan

Instalove. This is literally lavender incense. A paradox of scents that hang in such perfect balance, that a solid axis in itself is created.

I normally prefer lavender in the form of essential oils due to its purity of scent, but the swirl of incense here makes my head turn. The gently sleeping form of lavender has been shaken, and she moves in a dreamlike state.

This is a masterful blend of contrasts that is reliable at the same time, and has become a staple in my perfume wardrobe. 10/10

Vincents1278
Vincents1278

Lavender, yes, but so much more. As it dries and warms on your skin you can pick up a cool grey ambergris, the smoky frankincense, a tiny touch of tonka, and I swear there is a touch of vetiver there. Maybe the vetiver is a sharp cedar note. The woody note, whether it is from vetiver or just cedar alone, mixed with lavender reminds me of luxury. It gives me an ambience of class and style, just enough sillage to tease the noses around me. It is no great projector, but I have never liked far flung fragrances. The scent is for me. This one is subtle but long lasting and interesting. Not a daily scent, but something for work or home. Unlike many other SL fragrances, this one is not overly sweet or heavy. Very nicely done.

kai.laidla
kai.laidla

It is the first "lavender scent" I love on my skin! I guess it's because of the incense and tonka bean, which are both my favourite ingredients almost everywhere.

Very unique.

First time I smelled it, I had a big questionmark over my head - what are the componets, what does it remind me, is it for a woman or for a man.

There's something very addictive in this scent.

"Clean" scent with a twist.

I recommend to try it. Even if You don't like it, You will get interesting experience.

raw umber
raw umber

Gris Clair opens with a natural lavender stripped of it's astringent properties and balanced perfectly with the sweet vibrating hum of incense softened and warmed with amber and vanilla. It is at once fresh and warm, a dichotomy of scents, and for what it's worth, the most interesting Lutens I have experienced so far.

After the top notes start to relax their hold, cool florals start to penetrate this rich orange layer, suggesting a drop in temperature with the onset of evening.

This fragrance is an extremely well-groomed and composed gentleman wearing a tailored trench coat, taking a solitary stroll to decompress at the end of a long day.

It is extremely rich and refined masculinity. It is the sensation of an urban pulse beginning to slow, as the avenues become bathed in the saffron and blue hues of dusk.

flkirkland
flkirkland

I have always been a believer in aromatherapy and its therapeutic benefits. One of my main go-tos for relaxation and rejuvenation has been lavender. I actually grow several types of lavender just for the smell when the wind sweeps past it in the summer bloom. This scent is like a beautiful bouquet of fresh lavender straight from my garden for the first hour or so. But it isn't masculine or feminine in its nature - just natural, from the earth. There are hints of tonka and amber that warm it up and through the dry down, those become more prominent. However, the lavender continues to bring its fresh natural beauty throughout. I LOVE this scent.

While I enjoy many of my super "manly/earthy/woody" scents like M7, and Gucci pour Homme etc., I find myself wearing this and loving it when I catch a whiff drifting up and I keep smelling my wrist for that rejuvenating lavender!

Lavender and I are not the closest of friends when it comes to perfume. For some reason the note often strikes me as harsh and sharp. My favorite lavender scents have been smoothed out, but even the best of the best I consider for the most part to be aromatherapeutic inducements to sleep. I also bathe HRH Emperor Oliver in lavender bubbles because it seems to calm his nerves.

Given my attitude toward lavender, it might seem that I would not take very well to Serge Lutens GRIS CLAIR, which opens with a pretty powerful blast of an ink-like dark purple lavender. It's strong enough to evoke vague memories of the essential oil concoction offerings from the house of Lush. Fortunately this composition is not intense and caustic as are some of those--I don't feel my nasal passages burning!

A rich iris note comes forth with more force as the perfume dries down, but the lavender in GRIS CLAIR really covers everything up in the opening, and remains dominant throughout the duration of a wear.

After the somewhat strong, almost lavender-oil opening, GRIS CLAIR swiftly settles down to a smooth ambergris lavender layer. I thought initially that the base was musk, but apparently it is ambergris. In any case, the texture coheres with my concept of ambergris: similar to a supple metal mesh.

While wearing this creation earlier today, I thought of Gandini LAVANDA ED AMBRA ORO, so I decided to compare them side-by-side. Despite the vast differences in the other notes listed in the official hierarchies of these two creations, the lavender and the amber are dominant in both. Where GRIS CLAIR features "old wood", LAVANDA ED AMBRA ORO features patchouli. They are closely enough related compositions that anyone who likes GRIS CLAIR would probably like LAVANDA ED AMBRA ORO, and vice versa.

GRIS CLAIR is better, I believe. There is something appealing about this rich layer of ambergris and lavender embellished with iris, and I understand why so many people love this composition. For me, the inky lavender is a bit too strong, but GRIS CLAIR is nonetheless more appealing to me than some of the other perfumes from this house. It's definitely one of the best lavender perfumes I come across in recent times.

Hoyo
Hoyo

A very interesting and pleasant scent from the opening to the end. Hard to classify as a masculine or feminine scent which makes it a perfect unisex. Another quality fragrance from SL.

johngreenink
johngreenink

Gris Clair rests on the masculine side of lavender. It's a fresh, sharp and wistful sent that feels like an eau de cologne or even a gentle, sublime aftershave. Like some of the other 'cool' eaux de perfums by Lutens, this lingers on that edge between smoke and wind. I've always found the names of Lutens' scents fascinating because they so paradoxical. Gray is rarely clear - gray is the fuzzy area between white and black. Gris Clair is like this as well.

What differentiates Gris Clair from other lavender based men's scents is the lack of other sweet flowers that can turn such a creation into syrup. There are no violets, irises (even though it's supposed to be a note...) or freesias in here to spoil the organic, earthy scent of men's lavender.

This is a special perfume which is not nearly as brash as other Lutens' creations. It's sharp and strong, but extremely soothing. Yet it also makes a statement. A rather beautiful gray paradox.

pynkgirl
pynkgirl

This is very similar to New Haarlem by Bond No9, just not the coffee note. This one is fresher. If you like that one, you will love this.

soonflower
soonflower

Simple but not ordinary.
Smoky, warm and deep.

Beautiful lavender opening.
But the best things come next.
Gris Clair transforms into extremely warm, full of incense and woodsy notes aroma.

Lasting power is really good - 6-7 hours, sillage is moderate but still...I wear it for my pleasure.

rickyrebarco
rickyrebarco

The opening of this fragrance is almost a soliflore lavender effect- the scent of a sachet of dried lavender- high quality lavender, but still dried lavender. Then the smoky, woody incense and iris come in and the scent is absolutely heavenly for about a half hour. I was so hoping this would be the final drydown scent, just maybe a little warmer. Alas, not to be.

In the drydown the smoky incense seems to evaporate on my skin and most of what remains is a warm almost too sweet lemony scent, which unfortunately reminded me of soap or air freshener. Since there are no citrus notes showing for this perfume I have no idea what that is from, maybe the tonka? Anyway, to my nose, Gris Clair is not nearly at the level of the other Lutens scents. I am so disappointed because I loved the heart notes with all that smoky incense and lavender together. It was blissful. Sigh!

For everyone who is disappointed by Gris Clair, I recommend Tauer's Reverie Au Jardin- it's fresh lavender, just heavenly!

maya1977
maya1977

To all perfume lovers, cheers!
I find it very strange that anyone did not find the (striking, in my opinion!) resemblance between Gris Clair by Serge Lutens, to famous, and now fairly rare-find, Jicky by Guerlain.
Just look for the fragrance notes list. Sure, in Jicky we find MUCH MORE ingredients/notes, but the leading notes, a.k.a. lavender, tonka bean, amber, woods (still, other woods than in Jicky, but...) are the same. In the second thought, it would be extremely interesting to know the resemblance/difference in proportions of all these. Anyway, there are still some notes that we don't find here, too, and they of course make the difference.
The very psychological difference (and we here talking of perfumes, not of persons, but still, it is interesting to think in this way!) between Gris Clair and Jicky lies, I think, in this: Jicky is more 'open-hearted', more 'extrovert' and 'optimistic', in comparison to Gris Clair, that is more 'introverted' and 'introspective' in its mood, so-to-speak. Even the 'passionate nature' of these two show itself in different ways; and it is first of all about the interaction between masculine/feminine facets of these fragrances. And - each of them has a VERY passionate, sensual, and infatuating nature that is unique in different ways. For sure, someone who looks for loud frags, almost cruel sexiness, all these syrupy vanillas, etc., would not be interested in any of these two frags. For the reason being, I think, is not only the price of these (very expensive!). These two work not only for sensual-bodily-instinctual irritation, but asking for mind-body interaction. Something philosophical in them, if you want to think in this way, and even more of it in GC by Serge Lutens than in J, by Guerlain.
For sure, these two frags are for a mature person, man or woman alike. In saying 'mature', I mean not the ‘passport age’, but more the psychological maturity, that is all about the things I’ve just said.

arabrabsotrab
arabrabsotrab

Amazing! It starts with quite a lot of lavander, but lavander of the best quality. It changes soon to something warm or hot like fire. Really hot but literally! I even feel the warmth around my face when I smell my wrist. Or I even feel it when I hold my breath and I don't feel the smell. I have never experienced such a pleasure with a perfume or I'd rather call it something else, not just a perfume but much more, that gives you an incredible experience!

dkny27
dkny27

Wow, another SL that has surprised me! I jumped blind into this as I was really intrigued by the reviews and the smoky, woodsy notes.
The first thing I caught from the spray was medicinal lavender oil for bath or burning, but that was so short lived and remained very, very close to the skin. After a few minutes I had to press my nose to my arm to detect that similar vapor.
The revelation comes in the drydown... There is a smoky, ambery, balmy trail that I keep catching when I move around, it's addicting, I tilt my head to each side to catch the fume. It's alluring because it is so different from how it all started out. There is the potential for powdery hints to peek through, but I tend to pick up the smokier vibe. This is definately a unisex frag. and perfect for fall!

Ang8761
Ang8761

I was looking for a fougere on LuckyScent and this little beauty showed up. I ordered a sample, I'm happy to announce we're in love, and now in a very serious relationship.

Seriously, the Lavender in this bottle is so beautiful, and paired with the tonka, wood, amber, and incense.... I cannot keep my face off my wrist!
When I first sprayed this perfume, I thought "oh, this is interesting!" It was slightly sharp (which I like)... but when it moved to the heart and the dry down, all of those woody, resinous, spicy notes came into play... I was completely seduced. It was soft, but didn't sacrifice sillage or longevity. I can easily wear this perfume anywhere. If you're not a fougere lover, I don't recommend blind buying this nectar.

DresdenDoll
DresdenDoll

Opening was off-putting for me, smelled almost like menthol. Once it settled however it was indeed quite herbal and fresh, but still in such a way as to make me think of high class air freshener.
Once this dries down to the main body of the scent it's a well done woody iris with a hint of tonka and still manages to smell nothing like Infusion d'Iris. It makes me think of a dreary overcast day. Distinctly unisex, a bit too herbal from what I wanted of it. The most disappointing of all the Lutens I've tried so far though.

persefoni
persefoni

magnificent smell!! Unique combination of ingredients, amazing lasting power, immediate effect on mood.. i'm impressed...

some days later: i'm smitten... this is my favourite among the lutens and strongly recommendable for people with heavy migraines like me .... a true remedy...

garnetsea
garnetsea

I feel as though this fragrance was made for me. After years of fragrance meandering, I have finally stumbled upon the one that speaks to me. I am in love with the rebellious nature of this fragrance. I think of a sultry Parisian woman, slightly undone with bedhead and mascara from the night before on rainy, cool day in the streets of Paris. This isn't for someone who tries too hard to be beautiful. It's mysterious, deep and unassumingly sexy.

Singabera
Singabera

It's pure freshness for me, the cool air breathe...
I love lavender, and that one is in a best old cologne traditions - distant, woody, minimalistic. It's good for the office, cause it will discipline you, but also I'll take it into vacation, it's so natural and free...

Happyme2009

Lavander and cigarettes. I love it! Legendary silage and staying power in Serge Lutens style. Unisex. Wicked. A little evil. Beautiful but not really sexy. A lion hiding in a kitty skin. Watch out for the claws. The rebel ( smoke ) in a school girl uniform ( lavander). This is a perfume full of contradictions. I was never a fan of lavander scents, until this one.
Even the belowed "By" from Gabbana didn't capture my feelings as much as Gris Clair. But they have some common points. More comparison between these two under my "BY" review...
Anyways, the lavander here is very natural. It is supported by a sweet amber which isn't choking but just adding smoothness... The scent retains a rather strange metallic undertone, a little screetching, kind of like a key being dragged slowely on a metal surface. Smoky insense gives this perfume a dark aura. It isn't very dark, more like dusk after the sun finally went down but the moon isn't up yet.
This is the most original lavander interpretation I've seen , recommended to all who enjoy unisex scents.

judyk
judyk

Oh wow. This was not what I was expecting at all.

To my untrained nose the opening was maraschino cherries and cinnamon! I had to fly here to Fragrantica to remind myself what it was *supposed* to smell like. And, sure enough, after 1/2 an hour it did become a divinely warm and spicy lavender.

I would find this scent irresistibly attractive on a man. Seriously. Sadly, that makes it unwearable for me. Perhaps I could layer it to warm a sharper perfume?...

Kamicha
Kamicha

It's weird but beautiful.

It starts with a sharp - almost sterile - nuclear strength lavender with an exceptionally cooling mentholic edge - and this opening lasts surprisingly long. When I first tried Gris Clair... I did not have lots of expectations at this point... ...aggressive, sharp and clean lavendar... ...meh... ...but then something happens...

The lavendar softens (but does not disappear) and gives space for some moist and aged wood, warm and complex resinous/smoky aromas, tender sweetness with ambery, vanillic and floral dimension and an odd but extremely pleasant mineral undertone. Being a Finn my initial association is not a steam iron but... ...yes... ...the complex and enjoyable scent of a sauna warming up. The aged wood, the stones heating up releasing the dry mineral aura, the ash, the wood burning and the resins melting in the fireplace and that amber colored fir gum softening in the walls, the faint olfactory imprint of human beings barely detectable. Yes, that is the impression - but it goes beyond.

I find Gris Clair... rather extreme study in contrasts - coolness and heat - sheerness and body - creaminess and sharpness - sweetness and dryness - even moistness and dryness - natural and artificial. But then again - it's also very wearable, well, after the initial mushroom cloud of lavender collapses... For me it is calming and stimulating at the same time. It makes me think large spaces and enormous distances. Clouds forming, weather fronts colliding, electricity, sun spots and white noise.

The juice is strong as hell and radiates through a lead barrier if you are not careful. It also lasts extremely well, I was able to detect it in my second hand fur few months (yes months) after I tried it first time. Now I'm a happy owner of FB... ...and I'm not disappointed. This stuff might eventually end up to my top five.

Somehow I feel that this scent is designed with androids in mind - but curious and experimental human beings might find it caressing for the circuits as well...

ruxxy
ruxxy

This one smells great! It's really classy, creamy, comforting and the tonka bean is the queen of the composition. Maybe because of the lavender, it would be better on an elegant man (black tie type).

Edit: It has a great lasting power, 20 hours at least, shower included. Awesome!

SecondCherry
SecondCherry

Oh dear. Not for me at all. I am so sad. I ordered this in a 3ml decant, along with some other Lutens, and was ready to buy a full bottle but on my skin, Gris Clair is like nothing so much as cheap lavender toilet bowl cleaner or something similar. Harsh top notes give way to harsh middle notes and no sweetening of the lavender at all, even after several hours. The smoke I like and could live with, but not the artificiality of the lavender. Later I tried this on one wrist and Pour Un Homme on the other as a comparison - the latter is for me, a rich, warm, ambery lavender. Good luck to those who can wear Gris Clair, but I am not one of them.

spumyland
spumyland

yeah!! a pieni polmoni...
coloniale e maschile con un'ambra profondissima.dura.
polveroso, freschissimo-pulito dall'inizio alla fine.
marzo e aprile tra pioggia e sole i mesi migliori per indossarlo.lineare.
per me:
8-/10

zosoroxy
zosoroxy

3/24/2012: Hello Fragranticans!

Has anyone compared/contrasted Gris Clair w/ Fourreau Noir (both are Lavender/Tonka scents)?

I am presently trying to decide between them. I did request, & receive, the wax sample booklet- & very much enjoyed Fourreau Noir!

Missing, however, were key scents such as Gris Clair, Ambre Sultan, Chergui, & 1 more (can't recall which). Since Gris Clair is so oft-recited as a favorite Lutens, (& also since Fourreau Noir is a relatively newer fume), I really want to sample Gris Clair before deciding!

I am located in the greater Syracuse, NY area (upstate NY)- Zip 13066, & would love to trade a sample of anything(s) on my "have" list, for a sample of Gris Clair? (I have empty glass vials, & am happy to send you sample(s) of your choice, along w/ an empty vial to you to fill & return to me please?)

Forgive me for begging. I'm afraid to purchase blind- Too costly to risk it :)

fanny
fanny

Warm and very masculin.
A lovely lavender woody fragrance, with very good sillage and longevity.
In the end, I'm afraid, a bit too masculin for me.

aries70
aries70

I love this scent,My lavender frag.This lavender however is not old fashioned or essence oil-medicinal.This is a tamed and destilled lavender willed and manipulated to smell natural by the perfumer;softened and refined by the iris and amber,grounded by the woods.All smelled through a thin curtain of smoke.Elegant and charming in its simplicity;a unisex trending masculine .Good sillage,average projection,excellent longevity.Highly recomended.

ig69
ig69

my new fav.; very long lasting; great to fall and winter; it is like wearing a greatest quality cashmere.

megank4

I bought a partial bottle on Ebay of this, unsniffed. I am not disappointed, but probably won't buy another bottle when the partial is gone. it is a light lavender, just a tiny bit smoky.

Printeza7
Printeza7

First impression- yes lavender- but not the common lavender not the cheap lavender. There is a mixture of lust, pleasure and lavender. It settles warm and woody, such a interesting fragrance.

chickenpotpie
chickenpotpie

On me this did not smell so great, on my partner it was just amazing. It does develop differently on a male than on a female, and on him the smoked lavendrr was absolutely amazing.

I enjoy the cleanliness of this scent on him whereas on me it tends to fall very flat.

Has quite a long life though it is closer to the skin.

This would be something that on him I could see getting a full bottle for.

megank4

This is mainly lavender on me. Very subtle, hardly know it is there. A wispy scent.

Barbarajg
Barbarajg

Lavender and smoke, like freshly ironed, almost burnt cotton sheets. Divine. Clean and warm at the same time. Unique.

spawnchorus
spawnchorus

The scent opened pleasantly with clear lavender and a light citrussy cologne-like edge. The immediate dry-down was a warm woody lavender. Unfortunately after an hour or so, it developed a very medicinal smell close the skin (like dettol disinfectant) which I found quite off-putting. Further from the skin the medicinal odour translated as a more resinous undertone with notes of sweet spicy amber.

Edited to add: 12 or so hours later, and I'm beginning to fall in love with GC...Cereza, we must have a similar skin chemistry. I'm getting heavenly warm wafts of dry smoky wood and sun-baked coasts. Such a surprising development!

[email protected]
chrismriley@hotmail.com

A mature scent which stays close to the skin and has an odd smell

0-4 hours - Very close to skin, little projection, smells mostly like rice wine - a bland base with an overtone of bark & something medicinal, foul smelling which repulsed my nose. Projection is non existent

Not for me by a long way

kolciag
kolciag

Terrible smell, I was hoping for really amazing lavender perfume (I love lavender notes), but Gris Clair has nothing of lavender in it :( I'm really dissapointed. For me it's one of the worst Lutens perfumes.

Yerdan
Yerdan

Gris clair is so sexy !
To me it smells the way Annie Lennox looks like in the video clip to "Love is a stranger". After she takes the wig off.
I think it is more female than male. But 25+ !

Youggo
Youggo

A warm dry lavender, very mineral, with musks : this fragrance reminds me of a steam iron.
Very pleasant and comfortable. A perfect fragrance for a hot summer in Provence.

sf2explus
sf2explus

just tried this on my skin today so my review maybe a little inaccurate, but here's my first impression on it after having this on my wrist for 5 hours i got a sweet top that reminds me of marzipan that slowly becomes very mellow slowly and in the middle i get clean washed and dried clothes smell with a very clean smoke smell which stays till the end it's a very calming smoke smell not tobacco smoke or anything. its like you have someone burning wood say about 25 meters away and you are very close to freshly washed clothes that are dry, very strange scent. nice and unique to me.

delphine67
delphine67

This is a burst of lavender in the top. A bit sharp but fresh. When it drys down the woody notes come in.The orris and tonka gives it a powdey vibe wich I like. It can be find a slight masculine to some. But I find it very wearable for both genders. I would love to have a bottle

Parfumista2010
Parfumista2010

Gris Clair reminds me of Miss Marple (very British) having a holiday in Grasse, Southern France (the provenance of fine lavender).
More masculine but still unisex and definitely no "old men cologne". GC is conservative, dry as dust and subtle and I have read several devastating reviews accusing GC of being too linear, too foreseeable and thus plain boring.
To me GC is a delightfully quirky scent but it so happens I love linear, foreseeable, dust-dry and boring very much in Gris Clair. It shows the essence of Serge Lutens perfumes : interpret well-known ingredients into something unusual. Mission accomplished.

soupygirl3
soupygirl3

I guess Gris Clair is unisex. One half smelled very masculine; woody (like hamster cage wood-chips) and Lavender. And then it switched to the female half; sweet and powdery with a good dose of static electricity.

I've tried a few Serge Lutens fragrances, the ones I have tried all seem to dry down into what seems like a characteristic trait; powder. This one is no different. The other thing I've noticed is that many days or even several weeks later my fabric testing strips have "matured" and smell pretty good and the scent is not particularly weakened . But honestly, to wait 2 weeks before you get the full bouquet is asking a lot. But I do appreciate the adventure.

Migotka
Migotka

I might as well share with you the fact that I ordered Gris Clair sample by accident. It was supposed to be Daim Blond, and I mixed up the names, duh. Nae impressed with myself.

Anyways, I was also not very much impressed with the scent when I first opened the vial. I though that this was it, something exclusively for male lavender lovers. Gris Clair is like a burst of lavender straight in your nostrils, and then once you manage to get up on your feet, you get knocked down with woody notes again, and there does nto seem to be much more. So I put my sample away for a few weeks.

A few days back I decided to retest it more globally (I had it anyways, why not give it another chance), and to be honest, I actually really enjoyed it! I am not sure if my fellow bus passangers liked it as much as I did, but in cold, rainy weather I found out something charming in Gris Clair. It is still quite harsh and, lets face it, masculine, but there is some hard-to-grasp beauty in it. The problem is, it might take a while to get used to it. I think once I run out of my 1,5 ml, I will be a little sad, although I dont think I would buy a full bottle of it.

Cereza
Cereza

This is the third Lutens I've tested so far and none of them work for me :( Such a pity, but I'll keep trying.

Gris Clair opens on me fresh and citrusy (I know that there are no citruses listed, but I feel them). For me it's air-freshnerer type of citrus and freshness. It goes one for couple of hours. I decided not to scrubb off and wait for the drydown, which today 14 hours after I applied Gris Clair on my wrists is still here. Perfect, smoky and addictive. Smells lika India to me. Mysterious, warm and inviting yet wild.

Too bad that you have to wait three hours for the scent to turn lovely.

UPD: I just wanted to update my review by saying that - it has been two shours and more than 36 hours, but on my wrist there is still the smokyness of Gris Clair. Really? Serge? How do you do that? Maybe it is worth to suffer trough the first 3 hours...

Guest_yvashche
Guest_yvashche

More masculine, smells like gray days and lavender. Mellow and comforting. Could get used to it but will not be investing in a large bottle.

KalteStern
KalteStern

Not so much woody, to my nose, as herby - the lavender note is the sharp, fierce note of the foliage rather than the flower: more rosemary or juniper than what I would usually associate with lavender. I also noticed the sage very quickly,and initially it was over sharp, but soon sweetened up by the amber notes.
Perhaps too sweet for many men, although overall I felt it was more of masculine fragrance than a feminine one.
As it is expensive, I doubt if I will buy it, although I would wear it if I had it - but probably as a daytime fragrance

Robert White
Robert White

Just doesn't seem to have much personality...I never thought I'd say this about a Lutens fragrance, but I find it boring. Sorry

guest_A. Rose
guest_A. Rose

So quiet, reflective and windswept; upon opening, a purified, smoky resin swirls around your nose, with ashen dried lavender and sage giving a leathery impression. There's a strange freshness to it, like that vaccum-y place around a flame, or a pagan bonfire burning at high altitudes in a brisk place, the flame being whipped about by a cool wind. Then, a rain falls on the fire, slowly putting it out and infusing moistened linen cloths with a smoky, benzoin-like sweetness. While "Gris Clair" is such a meditative, solitary scent it's not bleak or depressing in the least; it reminds me of gray, late November days occupied by reading or painting alone, thoughtful walks, lingering in nearly vacant museums or just sipping tea while observing birds preparing for the coming winter. It's predominantly masculine until the top notes fade but that doesn't mean women can't wear it; leathery, smokey-fumed but almost sterilized in the way of cleanliness, sweetly herbal and smooth, while sexy in its own way, it almost operates on plane beyond the body. "Gris Clair" breathtakingly gorgeous and unforgettable.

chocolateguy
chocolateguy

Beautiful and miracle! Like a flame in a desert at night which is so cool and also passionate. Simply one of the best from Serge Lutens house. Unique and diffirent lavender. Suitable for both men and women, but I find this one is more attractive on women. Great longervity and sillage. Creamy, a little prozen, somewhat fresh, excitingly sweet, also warm... Such a lovely scent...

guest_guest_haagendaz
guest_guest_haagendaz

Nice herbal lavender with a steamed iron note. Not worth the import $$$ but a decant would be ok.

inikaurora
inikaurora

I have tried it yesterday,and till now under some weird impression!
It opened very soft and warm lavender,but after 5-10 minutes started to turn into some nasty overwhelming overly sweet amber.
After 30 minutes or so it became so unbearable that I had to wipe it off with wet Dettol tissue!
Please do not get me wrong-I love amber,otherwise I would not even try the perfume with such name!

This is mostly sage and lavender on me. Clear and pleasant, it has very little character.

chance25
chance25

Yes this is most definietly a unisex scent. The dry down smells like a man's cologne. It opens very perfumey though, like many, many perfumes mixed together. The middle, I recognize the dry lavender aspect and it's very comforting. Very deep and sweet, thanks to the iris. Silage is very good, but not exactly something I could easily wear.

This page contains information, reviews, perfume notes, pictures, new ads, vintage posters and videos about Serge Lutens Gris Clair fragrance but we do not warrant the accuracy of information. Trademarks and logos belong to respected companies and manufacturers and are used solely to identify products and companies. If you have more information about Serge Lutens Gris Clair, you can expand it by adding a personal perfume review. Fragrantica has a unique user-driven classification system and you may classify Gris Clair by Serge Lutens. Click on the appropriate options on the fragrance classification form below the perfume picture. Also, you can find links to 3rd party websites/Internet stores, but Fragrantica has no access or control over those websites. We do not make guarantees nor accept responsibility for what you might find as a result of these links, or for any future consequences including but not limited to money loss. User reviews of Gris Clair by Serge Lutens represent the views of the credited authors alone and do not reflect Fragrantica's views.